Speaker 1: All right, folks, here we are on Oscar Sunday. Last movie for you sentimental value. We got a lot to say about this one, but it has nine nominations.
Speaker 2: Robes, was this the last one we watched?
Speaker 3: This was the last one we watched?
Speaker 2: Okay?
Speaker 3: Yes, And I understand these nominations because there are so many acting nominations in this movie, and when you watch it you will understand why. So yes, nine nominations Best Picture, of course, but get this Best Actress, Best Supporting Actor, Best Supporting Actress, Best Supporting Actress, Best Original Screenplay, Best Director, Best International Feature Film, and Best Editing. That's impressive.
Speaker 1: They have four four actors nominated in acting categories. Correct, there are only four acting categories.
Speaker 3: It's incredibly impressive.
Speaker 1: Doubled up in the Supporting actress category. And Rhodes. I don't know these actors at all. Stellin Scarsguard of course, and el Fanning that we know El Fanning?
Speaker 2: Who was I didn't recognize her?
Speaker 3: Really, Yeah, she's all grown up, you know. And in one point, at one point in the movie, she turns her hair brunette, so yes it is, but I recognized her. She's got that sweet little face we all.
Speaker 1: Know a lot, and she was really impressive in this movie as well. But scars Guard, who what do you call him? The head of a acting dinery?
Speaker 3: Or yes, he is the head of an acting dynasty. It's a really good way to put it.
Speaker 1: But I love watching him, loving in all he does. I'll never get to see him really in a lead role. He's always in a supporting actor in some way, but he is fantastic. But he leads this thing up. This one made twenty two million at the box office, not didn't do Gangbusters there And how would you will read the synopsis, but I'm just gonna put your spot and challenge you. How would you describe this movie if you had to say, what is.
Speaker 2: This movie about?
Speaker 3: It's about family trauma. It's about relationships, like fractured relationships and healing. I mean, you see the relationships between the two sisters between and each sister has a different relationship with her father, and it's and it's all messed up based on life, and you chose who he chose at different parts in his life. And then this American who comes in and her acknowledgment of just kind of pushing her way into something that maybe where she didn't belong. I feel like there was some interesting themes that were going on that could be applied in a lot of different ways. But it's it's a story about trauma and healing and love and relationships.
Speaker 2: And the way they put it.
Speaker 1: One synopsis robes an intimate exploration of family memories and the reconciliatory power of art. That nails it. And it is really really well written. After you've seen it, you go, wow, that's it. If you haven't seen it and you hear that, it doesn't tell you a whole lot.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I wouldn't understand the reconciliatory power of art, But when you understand what happens in this movie, it's really cool. Actually, I see this anopsis. This really gets into the meat of it. Yes, sisters Nora and Agnes reunite with their estrange father, the charismatic Gustav, a once renowned director who offers stage actress Nora a role in what he hopes will be his comeback film. When Nora, his daughter, turns it down, she soon discovers he has given her part to an eager young Hollywood star. Suddenly, the two sisters must navigate their complicated relationship with their father and deal with an American star dropped right into the middle of their complex family dynamics. Yeah, that is exactly what the movie is about. And I just thought the acting, I can't say enough it was. It was remarkable. This was like a masterclass in acting.
Speaker 2: Was there any action in this movie?
Speaker 1: Now, I'm trying to think even like any type of action scene, not like an action movie type thing, but anything that was high paced or intense or anything like that. I'm saying that to think the acting you're talking about conversations carried.
Speaker 3: This entire movie in Swedish.
Speaker 1: Yes, there were not even there weren't very many situations even to figure out you're reading this whole movie about the complexities of relationship and it.
Speaker 3: Works with some red Yeah, I really Again, I forgot that I was reading subtitles and when el Fanning parts came in and she then of course they would switch over to English. I didn't even realize that it switched to English. That's so cool. So I'm watching a movie in Swedish with English subtitles and then it switches to English and I don't even know the difference between the two. I had to stop and go Oh wait, they're actually all now in English. Oh didn't even realize that was happening. I was transported into that world. That to me is a sign of a really good movie.
Speaker 1: You forget, Robes. I got lost in this movie because it was another very heavy movie with some very heavy themes, not just about dynamics of a father and his daughters, but very heavy themes of suicide, correct very heavy themes.
Speaker 3: And yeah, we forgot to point that out. That's something to actually know before you think about watching this, because that's not for everybody. But yes, and oh my goodness, there is a twist at the end.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there's a central theme and it's a powerful theme, and it plays throughout almost the movie, and it's central to really what is weirdly to say, the payoff at the end of this movie that is almost just gutting and beautiful.
Speaker 2: It is.
Speaker 1: It's a hell of a movie. But Robes, these converts, they I am. I am floored at the level of acting in this movie.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Same, I don't think I've seen anything quite like it.
Speaker 1: It is stunning and well, I know, my god, this I'm not taking away from anybody else's performance. I just do not understand how it's possible for an artist to produce what I saw on film.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and this is up to your points original screenplay. So this is something this came from someone's mind. And you know you're watching this as you point out a non action, really relationship conversation forward movie. That so the conversation and the emotion are what drive the energy of this movie to the end. But then there's this twist. I did not see it coming, but it was so brilliant, it was so clever, and you are actually holding your breath at at least I was at the end of.
Speaker 1: This movie really really well done. At the same time, do I say, do I consider that I did? I enjoy the movie watching experience. You're not supposed to write this is different.
Speaker 2: You weren't.
Speaker 1: Are you entertained? I was in awe of these actors. I was in awe. I do not know how they do this.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And you know another thing I would say about this movie, I was in the moment. I was not thinking about what I had to do later that day or tomorrow, or whose texts I hadn't returned. Like I was in the moment, even though and I think it's pretty cool for a movie to capture that kind of attention when you don't have bullets flying and explosions or saw a masked man on the loose, like, actually, this was just a compelling, a compelling drama.
Speaker 2: You know, it felt really quiet.
Speaker 3: It was.
Speaker 2: It was a quiet movie.
Speaker 1: It was quiet because even the actors their personalities, they aren't overwhelming, and they're not a loud They're and not even I just not allowed.
Speaker 2: They don't emokee that much.
Speaker 3: No, there's Scandinavian. Yeah, yes, it read. And the funny thing is we had just this year we for the first time, we went to Sweden, and so you kind of get a feel for the culture. So when you're watching this movie, you get it. You're like, yes, all even like looking at this set, the design, the Swedish architecture, the Swedish way of having no clutter, it was actually visually pleasing to see all of those clean lines that the Swedish are known for all incorporated in the movie. It fit with everything.
Speaker 1: But should you want you to should you skip it? I don't know if Robes and I are going to see eyed eye on this one. All right, we continue here, Robes just worry we're about to get into an argument over sentimental value. We I do not think we are sentimental value. Hour and forty two, No, scoot. This one's two hours and thirteen minutes long. This is an emotional ride. I don't think I felt Robes as some of the lowest lows that I felt in some of the other movies. Yeah, that were gutting. This was emotional and sweet and kind of sad. It wasn't painfully gutting like some of the others.
Speaker 3: Correct, there wasn't massive loss of life. There was the threat of it, there was the fear of it, there was the emotion behind depression, and definitely some heavy topics. Yet there was so much love and connection and there was redemption and there was support, and so it ended up making you feel kind of warm and fuzzy after all of that darkness. But isn't that what all of us feel in our lives and how relationships can help us heal. And that That's where I liked this movie, because there was redemption, there was hope, It was hopeful, even just Elf Fanning's character, how she came in and and made made us all feel like there is some humanity in the world. You know, you see she was so good by the way the table was thinking about it, and it was subtle, but it was. It was so real and I think every single person watching those scenes with el Fanning and then between the you can put yourself in those shoes. You can imagine feeling what they're feeling and saying what they're saying. It just was so good. And two hours and thirteen minutes, I don't think is a huge I guess I'm just now thinking of it relative to the longer movies on this list. I thought it was absolutely worth a watch. I think I would love to watch this with my daughters, with my mom, like just kind of this family feel of just recognizing we all have strained relationships here and there, we can all do better at communicating and understanding one another. I just I felt the love in this movie. So yes, I absolutely say watch it.
Speaker 1: I do too, for no other reason than the acting. The acting is a must see. I don't know who's been winning the Best Actress awards during the.
Speaker 3: Awards, so she so and I feel so bad because I'm not good at pronouncing these Swedish names, but Renate Rensive she has one. She has won in a couple of the award ceremonies, certainly a lot a lot of eyes are going to be on her.
Speaker 2: Stellan Jesse Buckley is the front runner for this.
Speaker 3: Yes, so I would say she is probably right behind her in terms of expectations what people think or who people think should win Best Acting.
Speaker 1: This lady was unfrick and believable. The relationship between her and her sister, how they pulled that off, that was. I love the acting in this movie. I absolutely say check this one out if it is the best. If we had to give out an award for the best acting, this would ensemble acting, this would have to be it.
Speaker 3: Yes, so she yeah, and by the way, so she's Norwegian, So I mean, it was just remarkable to see what these actors were able to do and what they were able to pull off. And yes, I hope everyone runs out and sees this one.
Speaker 1: Well, y'all cut up now, folks, you're ready for Even if you didn't spend the twenty three hours and ten minutes like we did watching every single one of these movies, give or take a few minutes there, Marty Supreme, I was gonna say, maybe.
Speaker 3: It was only twenty two hours and thirty five minutes.
Speaker 1: We gave it the college try point being yeah, we just wanted to. We thought this would be fun. Maybe get you caught up a little more excited about the Oscars if you knew a little more. And we're a little more invested in some of these movies. But that's number ten for us. What you got on you? You're about to say.
Speaker 3: Something, Oh well, no, do we want to pick who we think is going to win Best Picture?
Speaker 2: Not in this episode.
Speaker 3: Oh all right, we'll save it for later.
Speaker 1: Folks, we always appreciate hanging with us. We will talk to you soon.