Speaker 1: I'm a homegirl that knows a little bit about everything and everybody.
Speaker 2: You don't know if you don't lie about that, right. Laurie came in.
Speaker 1: Hey, y'all, what's up. It's Lauren L. Rosa and this is the latest with Lauren L.
Speaker 2: Rosa.
Speaker 1: This is your daily dig on all things pop culture, entertainment, news, and all of the conversations that.
Speaker 2: Shake the room. Baby.
Speaker 1: All right, so we're gonna start how we always start, low Riders. We gotta check in behind the scenes of the grind. I am actually recording right now from one O three point five to beat in Miami.
Speaker 2: I'm in Miami, y'all because we're going on.
Speaker 1: A cruise today. So today I will disembark. I think that's the word you use for cruise, right, Okay, Yeah, today I will disembark on a cruise with fim It Forward. Film It Forward is a program, an organization, a movement created by Heather Lowry. Heather Lowry if you don't know her, because she's very much behind the scenes, but she is that girl. She's from Delaware for so yeah. And then secondly, you know she's done a lot in the entertainment space for a long time. Have the lowry was at the hymn of some of your biggest tours and artist performances as she led, uh, you know the charges at Live Nation, you know, and Live Nation puts on a lot of those in person performances. But you know, as of recent I feel like her brand, Femit Forward, has grown hugely and it becomes.
Speaker 2: Such a huge success.
Speaker 1: Femet Forward does the Give Her Her Flowers event every year. I believe it's during It's either during the b T weekend or the Grammy weekend, and normally that event goes viral because she's honored amazing people, you know, Tianna, Taylor, Chloe and Holly Bailey, big names, big names, Heather has. She's always been, like I was gonna say, like a girl's girl, but I feel like that's such a general term that's just like so easily used. She's always been a person that is, first of all, just her soundation is really for her foundation is really solid.
Speaker 2: But she's always been a person that.
Speaker 1: Is She's like a hug in real life, Like everything about her feels like a hug. She's super encouraging her temperament until she has to get with you. Is also very like positive and you know, soft, but it's very strong, and I say it's like a hug, and then I say it's strong, y'all. Probably like girl, what how we're running two the same Because when you think about like a really good hug when you need it right, it's soft, it's reaffirming, it's you know, it's everything that you need at the time, but also it can strongly change the trajectory of you're feeling in that moment, you're feeling after that moment, and even just how your day was going. One good hug changes everything. And that's what meeting Heather Lowry was like for me. I always said that I want to host an artist tour, like it's always been a dream of mine to like team up with like a fire female artist. I really would love for it to be a rap girl, but I'm open and go on tour like how do you CALLI went on tour Beyonce, and I know I'm not a DJ, but I would. I just think it would be so far me rocking out with the DJ as the host of the tour and being able to, you know, just go stop to stop. I don't know why I've always wanted to do that, But when I met Haga Lowry, she had actually booked me to host my first live concert ever for real, for real. I was fresh out of Delaware State University and HBCU Week, which we've talked about here on the podcast before. Another organization that feels like a hug by Ashley Christopher, another Delaware girl. They host these live concerts every year in October and Women's in Delaware where they bring artists to the city and it raises money for students that are going to HBCUs and are getting through their four year undergrad and even some graduate programs.
Speaker 2: At HBCU schools.
Speaker 1: But I hosted a concert for La in Queen Naija some years ago, and then I did another one for like Rick Rass and you know all these people in Heather was at the helm of that. Like literally, I just I really appreciate women who are like that, women who are like they stirn with you when they need to be, They're honest with you when they need to be, they're strong with you when they need to be, but also like they're real, Like they're real people who are giving real advice, who just really care about your well being. People talk a lot about how this industry is so fake and phony, but you really can run across good people in the process of being a good person as well too, and Heather is one of those people. So shout out to her and shout out to Famit Forward and the Femland Cruise. So I'll be there this weekend, and my plan is to bring you guys as much sound bites as I can. The first day, like today we toast to you know, all the girls and the black girls being on board and you know, kicking off the cruise. But we got Monica SWV and Keishako performing today and that's just day one. So y'all know, I'm gonna bring you the latest from the cruise boats. So I'm excited. If you cannot tell, I'm really excited. I'm in great spirits and I'm just ready to get on into the things.
Speaker 2: So now let's get on to the latest.
Speaker 1: All right, y'all. So Kim Newton is back at it again. You should be very familiar with Kim Newton. I mean, he has this funky Friday podcast. But Kim Newton, you know, huge football player, super Bowl ring winner. You know, Kim Newton has done the things in all aspects of his career.
Speaker 2: But for some.
Speaker 1: Reason, he just can't seem to talk about women in a way that I think it's fair. If I'm being and I have no issue with Kim Newton, but I just think his takes of women, although sometimes realistic, it's a bit unfair the way he's positioned. And I feel like he knows what he's doing when he's doing it, and it always works. We always get all rouled up. So I'm not gonna let him get me riled up the day. Were gonna take a listen to the comment and we'll be right back.
Speaker 3: Let's say women's value get lower the more children that they have. Break that down because and I was having this conversation, you know, with one of the mother of my children, and he's still fine, you know what I'm saying, But like I was telling her, I was like, Yo, the god that you're dating or will date, if he ain't willing to love on these five children that you have, that ain't the guy for you. Because when I came into your life, I was willing to accept you and whatever you had. And there's guys that's out there that's just going to say my kids, I want you well, that ain't how at work. But that's not to say that she can't find nobody. I'm pretty sure she has somebody.
Speaker 4: Right, But do you feel like it's as the best that she could possibly do is she didn't have children.
Speaker 3: Well, you're talking to a dude that was once in her life. I don't feel like she's gonna get better than me. That's just my confidence.
Speaker 4: I don't even think it's confidence I have said, and I might get eaten alive. I don't think most women do better than the father of their children. I really don't think that.
Speaker 3: It's really that's the barometer.
Speaker 1: So here's my thing with this conversation, women and their value and decreasing of it because the kids. It's like, yes, let's just talk about the heart truths first. As a woman, it is a heart truth knowing that when you have kids with someone and then you decide to no longer be with that person, your experience in the world, your experience dating, your experience moving forward in your career, and just in your day to day life is very different than a man with kids, and even that man that had the kids with you, It is very different. Number one being because normally what happens. And this isn't all the time. Shout out to the you know, single full time dads out there, but normally what happens is, you know, even if the man that you had kids with is superhands on and is a great dad as them, the babies came out of your body like as a mom, you know, the load is just heavier on your side. And it's not that the man that you had kids with is not helping. Let me be very when I say that, it's just it's just different. And I don't have kids, so you know, y'all like who she talk got no kids? Yeah, I don't have kids, but I have friends with kids who you know, are working through situations where it didn't work out with the with the father their children. I have family members you know that I'm very close to who you know I have that have gone through these things and being there and seeing what they're going through and seeing how they like rebuild their lives after it is very different.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 1: I do know men who have been in the same position where not that they're single full time dads, but these are men who have decided that you know, they're no longer going to be in a situation where they're in a family unit, right, and then they go out and they want to date and they want to rebuild their lives, and it's difficult on both sides.
Speaker 2: But if we're being honest, y'all, y'all.
Speaker 1: Look at single women with kids way differently than y'all look at a single man with kids, as long as he got that baby mama under control and he can afford you and whatever he got to do over there on the other side, for most women, it's.
Speaker 2: Not an issue at all.
Speaker 1: However, I wish I had one of my homegirls here right now, however, and maybe we'll have this conversation when we get on the cruise as well too. I think this might be a great conversation to bring amongst the group of women. I'll be Bill Monks, and I just gotta figure out how I'm gonna do it sound wise and all that.
Speaker 2: So stay tuned for that.
Speaker 1: Because one of my friends that's with me right now, she was actually we ride dinner last night and she was having a conversation, you know, and her child is older and she has a great co parent, like an amazing co parent, But she was saying, how like, you know, because the families were still so intertwined because of her son. It made things very difficult for her and when in trying to move forward because men were not comfortable with the fact that families were still intertwined. But I mean, y'all have kids together, and their son is to an age where they have no choice but to be very intertwined because he's older. So he wants to be with his cousins on both sides, he wants to be with grandma's on both sides. He wants mom and dad as certain things. And she she said, you know, that was an issue for her and still can be an issue for her today sometimes just because not even the relationship that her and her child's father have and they have a good one, but there's you know, there's boundaries there, but just because of the family aspects. And I was thinking about my own self, like you know, in dating men with kids, one of the things that you have to just suck up and get used to.
Speaker 2: And it's like you want it right, like you want a man that.
Speaker 1: Has a good relationship with his mother, with the mother of his kids, and with the family of his kids on the mother's side, because you want the best for the child want you love the man. You love the child, but also too, you want peace for that man. If you really with him and you love him, you want to be with him, you want peace for him, and that's normally what brings peace. However, it can be uncomfortable. It can be very uncomfortable because you have to trust blindly like you already trust him blindly, and being vulnerable because your heart isn't it And y'all know how that go. But when there's another woman who emotionally this man is tied to, even if they're not together because they share children, it's just different, especially because those emotions are things if you guys don't have kids, those emotions are things that you really like. That's something that they have together, and that causes fear for a lot of people. I've been there tooo, I've been there, but I think as women were like, he'll handle it and it's okay and we'll figure it out. I've never thought about any man that I've met with kids. My natural conversation has never went to the value of that man.
Speaker 2: Ever. It never but with women it does.
Speaker 1: And it's because number one, the relationships that men are just not okay with the relationships that you have to upkeep because you have children with someone the same way that women are. Number Two, if we being honest, men just don't want to take care of nobody kids. And I think people left that part out of what Kim Newton was saying because the way he got into this, he was actually talking about a conversation he was having with one of the mothers of his children. So and all these audios are on the It's Giving podcast with Sarah uh Fintanote or Fintonitt. I probably am saying her last thing wrong. I apologize Sarah, but her podcast is really good. I feel like her conversations really they get the people going. But yeah, listen, I don't Yeah, I told you on the opening of this this Kim and some of his statements are not my favorite. But if we're being honest, I understand where he's coming from because men don't be wanting to take care of them babies if them babies not theirs at all.
Speaker 2: And also too, I don't know, there's just this.
Speaker 1: Like double standard sexually about a man being able to go out and conquer the world and create children and create all these homes even if he doesn't stay in them, and that's a man. That's what men do versus a woman. Like men look at you if you're a woman with like, you know, children and your relationship didn't work, even if it's just one you share children with one man, not even multiple men, because that's a whole other conversation too. They love to you know, that's the whole thing. It's always like, well, what happened? What didn't work? Kim is not saying nothing that people haven't said before. It just is annoying to hear. But the reason why I was saying that it's unfair in the beginning of this podcast is because I think men never take into account all the things that women have to do for us to even be valued in the first place, especially Black women. And I know Cam talks in this same podcast episode about men and you know, men not being loved unconditionally Black men and only being looked at as providers. Will get to that, but I think for a lot of men, it's like women have to do. So it's like, okay, if I am if i am working a career and I'm good at what i do and I'm making good money and I'm riting for myself and I am self sufficient, and I have standards, and I want you to come to the table with something I might be. You know, those girls are out it or outlisted, right, Like most of the time, those women are looked at as like difficult or uh, we understand why you're single, or too much attitude, or your standards are too high. Right, So you have that pocket, and then you have the pocket of Okay. I'm a woman who decided that I wanted to be a career wife and mother, and I've dedicated my life to this man, and I've built this family with this man, and then one day it just doesn't work and he decides to leave or I decide to leave, and now I'm starting from scratch. So I'm, you know, starting from scratch of like figuring out career and who I am and what I have going on. And then those women are put in a box of okay because you aren't sometimes financially stable. The way that a man that you may meet is because those women, you know, may look for a man to take care of them, which I'm not knocking, you know, but I'm just making a difference in lifestyle. So those women might be like, Okay, look, I'm gonna get myself together. I won't be self sufficient, but I'm used to being a wife and a mother to a man that takes care of everything and brings everything home. It is very hard nowadays to find a man that will do all of that and will still treat you as if you are as equal of a human being as he. Is, very very hard to find that those type of men. Child that is I was gonna say, that's so old school, but even old school, I feel like, you know, the whole like gender.
Speaker 2: Equality, like that whole thing was always a thing.
Speaker 1: But I think nowadays men it's so scared the way that men try to control you with money. So it's like it's hard, like you can't be this, like you can't be too much of the I got it all figured out. I need you, but I got to learn how to need you, and you can't be too much of the I need you because now you've got to be scared of like how much will you be controlled?
Speaker 2: Because of that?
Speaker 1: And then you got kids too as well, so you're making decisions based off of your children and trying to make sure they're good, not even about yourself. And in all these situations, I've never once talked about value, because I've only talked about things that devalue us, like I can only speak from my experience and saying that, like I feel like it's always a fight for us to have valued conversation. Then there's like the whole like fertility conversation and the time clock and your time clock and your age devalues you.
Speaker 2: As a woman.
Speaker 1: The older men get it's like, oh my god, he got hisself together, he seasoned, he's ready to we just he's ready to settle down. We just heard Clifton Power say he just learned how to love somebody at seventy years old, somebody you know, younger than him, who was looking just for stability, not even just financially and like physically, but like looking for stability and love and being able to be vulnerable Clift and power. Hey, I mean he's providing well for himself. You know, he's not a bad looking older man, but he's telling you, I'm finally at the age where I want to be fully about somebody and about a family and about all the things.
Speaker 2: That's what a woman wants. But he's seventy. A woman at.
Speaker 1: Sixty five fifty years old that is single and still trying to figure it out. It's like, m what was wrong with her that she never got herself together. We always hear from men and women. I've always been told because you don't want to end up sixty five, seventy and alone. No one tells men that. Nobody's like nobody. I've never heard my brother or any of my male friends be like, you don't want to end up seventy and alone. I think we just assume that men will always conquer and will always figure it out. And even when we do speak to men about getting it together and not wanting to be alone, it's never from a devalued place.
Speaker 2: For women.
Speaker 1: It's like once you get you know your age clock going to run out, no more babies, menopause. It's always these like detractor things. So I for me, I've had to change the conversation. And that's what I mean by fairness, Like I think when people have these conversations, you can be honest, but like less have a full conversation about like how we even ended up toot where like devaluing women because of babies that they have a gift to the world, Like literally women are birth in human beings, you know, how many women don't make Black women don't make it through childbirth. And we tell we out here, we out here at the top of our lung sand. Because you met it through childbirth and you brought this beautiful baby into the world, your value has now decreased.
Speaker 2: That is insane to me.
Speaker 1: When a man welcomes to his child into the world, especially if it's a boy and a junior. Oh my god. The kingdom continues. It's like lion King when they hold up you know, uh, what's the lion King's son Simba when they hit look y'all, it's been a minute.
Speaker 2: Okay, I'm thirty four.
Speaker 1: When they hold up Simba over you know, the whole like the rock, it's like.
Speaker 2: Yes, the kingdom continues. The last name continues. We don't even get talked about like that.
Speaker 1: We get devalue because we had a baby. So let's be fair. My whole thing is like, look, go ahead, have the conversation.
Speaker 2: Do what you do, boo.
Speaker 1: Kim is really good at Kim Doton is really good at what he does. Though, like I have any time I ever talk about him in the moments that he has like this, I always say that man knows what he's doing.
Speaker 2: He's really good at the content thing.
Speaker 1: But let's be fair when we have the conversation and not just talk about, Okay, women are devalued because of children or the more children they have, right, Let's talk about like how we got there and how unfair it is that men aren't either, because, let me tell y'all something, the older and more responsible for my life and myself I get. I don't want nobody that comes with a lot of anything. You gotta have it together at period, so you can have kids, but please have it together when it comes to how you take care of your children, the relationships with the children's mother, the like, there's a lot to it. Were not just accepting anything anymore. We have in the same conversations there are women literally that don't want nobody with care. They don't want it. They don't because of the baggage that it comes with. And I think that's another conversation as well too. And we talked about it a bit when I said, men don't be wanting to take care of nobody else's babies. They look at certain things as baggage. But like everybody comes to baggage, you just pick and choose who shit you want to deal with, and a lot of it cut boil. All boils down to how things are being handled. If a woman has children and she is handling her business and she has, you know, things going on and things happening, and it is not you know, messing up how you date her, how you court her, the time that you spend together. It would be so nice to not be devalued. You know what I mean, because I've also experienced life as well too. We can't even be single out here dating no more. If you single and you out here dating, you gotta be so I mean, you should already be selective about who's entering your space and your body, but you gotta be even careful about how you talk about the experience you had dating, because we should, as women, be able to date, experience, learn grow, know what we like, what we don't like. But please be careful how you talk about it when you meet that the men that you're really trying to be with, because your experience with other people even devalues you too, Like we got to be so careful. We got a tiptoe so much, yo. Now let's get into it. I'm gonna end this with a point that Kim Newton brought up in the same interview where he talks about men and black men's specifically not experiencing unconditional love.
Speaker 2: Mistic.
Speaker 4: Now watch an episode with you and Tdjkes and you said you don't feel like you can ever take the mask off. You can only do that with your children. Do you feel like that robs you of your humanity?
Speaker 3: No, because that's the only feeling that I have where it's unconditional.
Speaker 2: What does that mean?
Speaker 3: Expectfully, any man, any provider, can't agree with this statement. There's no such thing as unconditional love. You only get that from very few people on this earth. One of those group of people are your parents. Lucky if they love you unconditional, you commit a crime, they love you. You are failure you you do something that's against their will, they still love you, right, and then that's your children. Like we go different places. I get accolades, I get awards, I get you know, certain experiences, and a lot of people put me on the pedestal. I don't know why. But to my children that's Daddy. To other people it's oh my god, this can do, oh my this, And they don't care nothing about that. They don't want that. Only thing they want is time. And that mask only comes off for them because they see through the minutia. They see through like man, welcome to fourth and one, what like hey, welcome to fucking Friday. They see first take, they see today hey one or six sport? They see all that, all those characters that you may see online, My children just see me. When you're dealing with other entities, whether relationship wise, wives, girlfriends, significant others, partners, if your husband don't do right by you, there's only a certain amount of time where you're just gonna say all right, no, I ain't gonna keep dealing with this now. Well, with your children, they still gonna choose you. And that's the true essence of what unconditional love is. And that's I said it. People think it, and you can't find another source that will love you regardless of who you are. And that's what I mean by.
Speaker 2: I'm not mad at this comment at all.
Speaker 1: I do think it's a little gas lighted, especially because Kim Newton is an a relationship with a woman who has just given him to babies. Who I mean, I don't know her personally, but there's been a lot that she has had to endure publicly because of some of his statements, and she still right to die for the man. She has to love him down and very unconditionally. That is probably like my only pushback on it. But the reason why I don't have an issue with the statement is because I do have a lot of male friends, and even like my boyfriend, like we I all the time, I feel like one of the things that I love doing and I don't get it right all the time. I can be a lot to deal with, but one of the thing I love doing is just like reminded him that like he's like God's gift to the world, because what I learned from my brother. Actually, recently, my little brother we were having a conversation just about his feelings and we had never done that, but he was going through some things and he was just like, y'all, don't ever hear me.
Speaker 2: And then I'm like, well, I want to hear you. Let me listen.
Speaker 1: We had a conversation and it broke my heart to hear him feel like he wasn't valuable to us because of what he couldn't do physically, And I'm like, oh my god, I don't even expect physical things from you, like my love has nothing to do with any of that. But as a man, I think, you know how, because of how men are some men were really all men, I think because of how men are positioned in the world, in society and raising their households. It's like, if you're not physically doing, you don't feel like much. And as a woman, when I'm not achieving my goals, when I'm not able to do for myself physically and do for the people I love, I don't feel like nothing.
Speaker 2: But men take it on so much heavy.
Speaker 1: And I wish that Like that's one of the things that as I get older as a woman and I become accountable for my actions and how I make people feel. Oh Lord, that has been a journey that I'm still on. One of the things that I really really really really feel like I try to talk to even my friends about is the fact that like, men are not these like blank canvases that like don't want to be filled up and filled with color. Like they are just as colorful, they're just as vibrant, they're just as loving, you know all of that. It's just sometimes they come with this like blank canvas, hard exterior because of what they've walked through in the world, or how they've been you know, raised, or you know, that might have been what they needed to do to get to where they were to be able to provide and to be able to honestly like meet you at a certain point. But you got to kind of really peel back that layer because I know, as a woman, like I get to the point sometimes I'm like, yo, I'm tired of doing everything for everybody, like we naturally, just especially Black women, like we are naturally just like nurtures, and we want man, I would love, I would love to solve so many things, a real cure for cancer being the first of them. Just so many things that I would I wish I could do so that I could like make sure that people that I love can never hurt again and always just be happy and always be good. And that's just like the nature of a woman to just jump in and be like I got it, don't worry about it.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna protect you. I got you.
Speaker 1: And a lot of times when you do that, and you've always done that, you get depleted. You'd be burnt out. Men get there too, they just don't talk about it. We're a lot more vocal, but they get there too, they just don't talk about it. So I'm trying to be a lot more aware of the fact that that feeling is there and that it's a real thing, and that even when it's there, they might not even express her to talk about it. You kind of just gotta like, no, you literally just gotta know. And even when you don't know, because there's sometimes where like I might not know what's happening with like my boyfriend or my brother, and I'll still call and be like, hey, what's up, just checking Well, my boyfriend talk to him every day, but my brother, I don't talk to him every day, but I'll still call and be like, hey, what's up, just checking on you. Or if I don't call him because we don't talk on the phone all the time, I'll just text him and be like, hey, I love you, or you know you need anything, like and he, my little brother, is the epitome of a little brother. Like he'd be getting on my nerves, but I just always want him to feel like you got somebody and you got something that no matter what you do, have done, where you go, where you don't go, will always be right there with you and it's us, it's your family, it's me, it's your sister, And I went, you know, and I think that's what Kim Newton is speaking to. It's like having your children make you feel that way. But and you know, potentially mom, dad, and some family members, but you don't always get that from a lot of people in your life as a man, is what he's speaking to. So yeah, I said, I wasn't gonna get all worked up, and here I am early in the morning about the head of this cruise, all worked up because my value decreases because I want to bring life into this world.
Speaker 2: Chiad.
Speaker 1: The people are crazy, honey, the people are crazy. But thank y'all for tuning in this episode. I'm Laura l Rosa. This has been another episode of the Latest with Laura l Rosa. You're daily dig on all things pop culture, entertainment and conversations.
Speaker 2: That shake the room.
Speaker 1: And I tell y'all every episode, y'all could be anywhere with anybody talking about all of these things, but y'all choose to be right here with me. And I appreciate y'all for that, My Low Riders so much. I'm gonna catch yall on the flip side, maybe some bonus episodes will come out of this weekend, because I'm headed on a cruise, y'all.