Speaker 1: Hey, it's Broken Jeffrey, and we got a brand new episode for you today. Thanks for being on the second eight podcast. And can I just start by apologizing to one of our listeners in Hawaii? Oh yeah, what are you? What do you do wrong?
Speaker 2: Well?
Speaker 1: He had texted in to seven eight five nine two to complain about the commercials. Okay, oh yeah, and I get it. I get it. Okay, but we're a free show. Our company chooses where to add them or you can skip them. So I just wrote them back and I said, thanks for your support, hope you understand. And then what I didn't think about the time change and you got the text at about two in the morning. I say, yeah, And then he texted back, thanks for waking me up again. You know my dad? My dad? All right, we should text him and add right now. Yeah. Yeah, I have a nightmare waking up to a text from Broken to it apologize. Let's do less harm on the comment section, Well, Kai said, therapist here, you guys always make my day and are my self care between cases instead of being case studies, although you would make some good ones. Yeah that all checks out.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's like five therapists bidding for me, right, now.
Speaker 4: Yeah, they're like, I want it, so.
Speaker 1: They see how far of an investment that will be. Yeah, all right, let's get your new second day podcast started. It's an awkward Tuesday day. It begins right now.
Speaker 5: It can be complicated changing careers later in life.
Speaker 1: Oh check, Oh yeah, are you planning something.
Speaker 6: That you know about? Not me.
Speaker 5: It just made me think of when Brooks Uncle Soupy the Clown decided to hang up his balloon animal gig and transition to oversized shoe salesman.
Speaker 1: It's sponging whatever.
Speaker 3: How could you not remember when it happened.
Speaker 5: I just know the whole family scoffed at him, saying, you're besmirching the good Fox family clown legacy.
Speaker 1: Come on, I say, we haven't seen him at a Thanksgiving table, And.
Speaker 5: They said it all while honking their noses at him the entire time.
Speaker 3: Everyone's spraying with your flower tough crowd.
Speaker 5: Well, we've got another dramatic career change that's affecting one young couple and it could throw a giant clown wrench into their happy relationship.
Speaker 1: If you don't know, that's not good. In cloud work, it's not good.
Speaker 5: And you're gonna hear why in your brand new awkward Tuesday phone call right after this.
Speaker 3: It's awkward, it's Tuesday.
Speaker 1: It's awkward Tuesday phone call.
Speaker 5: When you're in a relationship with someone for long enough, it's natural to worry about them.
Speaker 1: What do you mean, like when you care about someone, Yeah, about their safety, total happiness.
Speaker 5: You start thinking like are they eating healthy enough to live a long, happy life with me? Are they dressing nice enough to attend this fancy dinner with me? Are they not drinking enough at this house party? So everyone's gonna think we're the boring couple.
Speaker 1: But you can't be fun without alcoholic. Who do you hang out with?
Speaker 4: God?
Speaker 5: These are just natural things that come up in normal relationships.
Speaker 3: Nothing.
Speaker 5: You wouldn't know anything about that. But one of our listeners says he's been worrying about his girlfriend lately and does it nowhere else to turn. So we're going to be here for him in his moment of need. Aaron Man, Welcome to the show.
Speaker 6: Look, so guys, how are you.
Speaker 4: Hey?
Speaker 1: We're good? How long have you and your girlfriend been together?
Speaker 6: Almost four years?
Speaker 1: Now?
Speaker 6: Oh?
Speaker 3: Okay four years?
Speaker 1: Wow a chunk.
Speaker 5: You're starting to get into a serious party.
Speaker 6: Yeah, definitely the number one person.
Speaker 2: In my life.
Speaker 1: Ah, you guys live together too.
Speaker 6: Yes, yes, we do.
Speaker 5: Okay, all right, So, uh, you said that in your email that you've been worried about her.
Speaker 3: What's going on?
Speaker 6: That year?
Speaker 4: She worked an office job, you know, an administrative assistance. But he's been kind of feeling bored and doesn't feel like she's.
Speaker 6: Happy there, so she wants to switch her career up.
Speaker 4: He's decided to become a cop instead.
Speaker 1: Oh, she's going to be a police officer.
Speaker 5: Really needed right now. It's quite a shift from office administrator too, which.
Speaker 6: Is what I'm saying. I'm just nervous because I see the news all the time.
Speaker 4: And I see what they have to deal with and just the kind of stigma that is surrounding them.
Speaker 1: And maybe she feels like true calling to go out and change something in the community, you know, and give back.
Speaker 6: Yeah, but like I feel like there's other ways to go about it. She says that it's good money.
Speaker 4: And maybe that's true, and like they.
Speaker 6: Need more people in law enforcement, but I never.
Speaker 5: Get bonuses and stuff sometimes and you sign up?
Speaker 1: Is she in police school? What do you call that? Don't like the movies?
Speaker 4: Yeah? Yeah, she's looking into it, but like, I think she has decided that and she's just gonna do it and whatever comes with they comes with it.
Speaker 6: I don't know she really understands all the.
Speaker 5: Have you tried sitting her down in front of the TV and showing her an episode of NYPD Blue.
Speaker 4: Anytime I try to say anything about the dangerous stuff, she kind of brushes it off as I'm worrying too much.
Speaker 1: And yeah, I mean I think it's natural to worry, Like that would be a job that I think anyone would worry about someone that they love entering.
Speaker 3: Totally. She also wants you to take her seriously.
Speaker 4: I'm saying that Blake, maybe start off as the.
Speaker 5: Mall cop, mall cop, work your way up in the danger.
Speaker 3: I can see why she's like, no, I don't want to do that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, nobody wants to be.
Speaker 4: A I don't know.
Speaker 6: It's just a lot to take in right now. And again, whatever she does, I'll support, I'll accept her. But like, you're just worried.
Speaker 4: I want to have this conversation about all the risks and everything.
Speaker 6: Like it's hard to sit her down and really.
Speaker 1: Liked a man's playing being a cop to her.
Speaker 5: It sounds like what he was saying was that he's tried to like tell her about some of the risks and she's not listening.
Speaker 1: I agree with Lex this. It feels a little weird for you to be explaining to her something that she's passionate about.
Speaker 6: But yeah, but not a passion of her. It's been something that she just thought of within the past.
Speaker 5: Month, that you know of, right, Okay, So Brooke, let me just ask you if the genders were reversed and he wanted to become a cop and she felt hesitation about it, I think would that feel different.
Speaker 1: I think it's normal to feel hesitation. I think to say that she doesn't understand the dangers of being a police officer is pretty Yeah.
Speaker 5: I would trust what her boyfriend of four years has to say. Like he's coming from a place of concern, it sounds like, and then that must be grounded in something sounds like you you feel like you're gonna say something to her and she's just gonna go, oh my gosh, we didn't think of that.
Speaker 1: There's guns involved, girl, I didn't know way. CoP's too dangerous thing.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but Aaron, I swear we're not mocking you. Right now.
Speaker 5: We're just trying to get all of this out before we get your girlfriend Fiona on the phone, and before we give you our real advice to tell you how you should call up your girlfriend and really help her think about is this the right career move?
Speaker 3: Does that make sense?
Speaker 5: Aaron? I know you're not laughing.
Speaker 3: Okay, you know where a jokey show. And remember you're doing all the talking.
Speaker 6: We're not gonna bru it this for you.
Speaker 5: You can do your thing.
Speaker 4: Thank you.
Speaker 3: He's kind of regretting. He's totally regretting calling in.
Speaker 5: We're gonna come back give you some solid advice and let you make your awkward Tuesday phone call to your girlfriend to see if she really wants to be a cop coming up right after this. It's awkward. It's an awkward Tuesday phone call. When you come to us for an awkward Tuesday phone call. The truth is we may not give you.
Speaker 3: The advice that you want to hear.
Speaker 5: Oh yeah, but that's why we're here to give you a different opinion.
Speaker 1: Why did you come to us free advice? Yeah?
Speaker 5: Yeah, not great advice. It's the best we can do. Because one of our listeners, Aaron, has a girlfriend of almost four years now, who recently told him she wants to give up her office job and become a cop, and his immediate reaction worry, concern that she made not understand the full impact taking this job could have on her life and on his because they're a unit together now. But some of us here are concerned that this is going to come across as a classic case of man'splaining.
Speaker 1: Well, he did a lot of like, she doesn't understand how dangerous it is.
Speaker 4: Right.
Speaker 5: I agree that could come across as I know better than you do.
Speaker 3: And here's why he's.
Speaker 1: Got to watch the wording a little right.
Speaker 5: Definitely, that's not what you're looking to do here right Erin No, and.
Speaker 6: Whatever she wants to do, I will fully support her.
Speaker 4: I'm just more worried because she's focused on the money aspect. Everything that we talk about whenever we talk about is just how much money she's going to make.
Speaker 6: How she loves the money, the money, the.
Speaker 4: Money, and we never talk about the safty And that's just all I was trying to get across.
Speaker 5: Okay, So you need advice because you feel like she's not hearing you and your concerns. How do you get her to at least be open to.
Speaker 4: That need to to think more about the safety parts and not just focus on money, because we can make money in any type of way, you know.
Speaker 1: Right, money comes and goes. Your life is precious, right.
Speaker 5: So, Brook, what's your advice to Aaron here before we call his girlfriend?
Speaker 1: Well, I think no matter what you do, have to come in saying I fully support you in whatever decision you make because it's not your choice, it's her career choice. And I think the way you can show that is you could follow it up by saying, why don't I help you with the pros and console list? That way I get to better understand why you want to do this. Maybe you come away feeling more secure in the choices that she's making, or she comes away feeling like, oh man, there's a lot of cons here. Maybe it's not a good idea. Women do love a pros and consoless I.
Speaker 5: Love those t Nothing more exciting in radio than listening to somebody make a pros and cons list too.
Speaker 1: And they don't have to do it live on the radio necessarily.
Speaker 3: So they're just offering it.
Speaker 1: Yes, like coming up with that idea, you know.
Speaker 3: Very thoughtful jose what do you think.
Speaker 7: Well, she probably knows what it takes to be a police officer, but something maybe she should consider is, you guys aren't married yet or engaged, thank you, but one of the highest divorce rates in society or cops, honey, that may not be great for us.
Speaker 1: Because the schedules are terrible.
Speaker 5: That's interesting threatening her with divorce, but.
Speaker 1: Divorce rates were already high. Cops.
Speaker 6: What do you think about that, Aaron, that's the interesting point. I'll bring it up when I thought.
Speaker 1: That's on the cons list for just in case you weren't.
Speaker 5: You were wondering, all right, So that's our advice for you, Like I said, may not have been the greatest advice, but the important thing is we're here in your corner, ready to support you if you need a little help, Okay.
Speaker 1: Or interrupt if you start man explaining.
Speaker 3: We'll stop you from doing that. You're on it, all right.
Speaker 5: We're gonna call your girlfriend here. Sorry, what was her name again? All right, here we go, we'll see, we will see.
Speaker 3: Let's see how this goes.
Speaker 6: Hello, babe, babe, how are you?
Speaker 4: Oh?
Speaker 2: Hey, how's it going?
Speaker 4: Oh? You know, just chilling, chilling, I know, you're busy, but I just wanted to see if you had some time to talk records.
Speaker 2: Yeah, give me two seconds to walk away from my riveting dusk job.
Speaker 7: What's going on?
Speaker 1: It?
Speaker 7: So?
Speaker 6: You know I love you and you know that whatever you do, I will always put you like I always have where you know we will always do everything together. I am a little concerned about your new career path you are trying to go on.
Speaker 4: I'm not gonna lie o.
Speaker 2: Wait, hold on, you're calling me in the middle of the morning to tell me that you don't like the new job that I'm looking at.
Speaker 4: No, no, no, I just want it to be a thing where we think about it together.
Speaker 6: You know, we can go through the pros, the cons and just weigh out all of our options.
Speaker 2: I mean, sure, but I don't understand. Yes, look, we're a team. We're going to talk about everything. But why, why why are you so concerned?
Speaker 4: I mean, you're going out at night, first of all, putting yourself in bad situation with who knows who?
Speaker 6: Like it's.
Speaker 2: I will not be going out at night. I will only be working days.
Speaker 6: So but how do you know that?
Speaker 4: And even if you were in the daytime, daytime can still be risky, like you've seen a naer.
Speaker 2: What what are you even saying? Why is it risky? I mean, I know it's it's new and different.
Speaker 6: But like, what do you mean how is it riskicked? I'm worried.
Speaker 4: I'm care about you, and all you're thinking about in the situation is just the money, Like the money, the money, the money.
Speaker 2: Well, of course it is good money and it's gonna help us, Like, I don't know, we might even get a boat, Like this is a different game for.
Speaker 6: Us, a boat. We're talking about it, and you care about a boat? Who cares about the boat? I'm worried about you getting shot?
Speaker 4: What?
Speaker 2: No one's gonna get shot at my job. No one has guns at my job.
Speaker 7: What do you mean.
Speaker 6: Nobody has gunns? I've watched TV suites. You have to everybody has guns.
Speaker 2: No, nobody has guns when they're a mortgage officer.
Speaker 1: What I mean?
Speaker 2: Have you ever seen that an episode of House Hunters where they meet a mortgage person and they pull out an automatic weapon? Like, what are you talking about?
Speaker 6: Oh I'm so confused.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm confused now too.
Speaker 1: Wait that's also a desk job.
Speaker 2: Hold on, what is happening?
Speaker 1: Hey?
Speaker 2: Aaron, what's going on?
Speaker 5: Ye, Fiona, I'm just going to jump in here because you're on the radio right now with a show called Brook and Jeffrey in the morning because of.
Speaker 1: Your guys' killer a couple communication. Yeah, don't killer a good point?
Speaker 4: Say good point?
Speaker 1: The dangerous words you're using you to what's going on? Guy, Fiona?
Speaker 5: This is called an awkward Tuesday phone call. Your boyfriend, Aaron reached out to us because he said he was worried that you were considering changing careers and wanting to become a police officer. You're saying a mortgage officer.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I am not going to be a police officer. A mortgage officer was the plan all along?
Speaker 1: Oh you never thought police? How did you get police out of it? Then?
Speaker 5: From the word officer, Aaron, where was your head at.
Speaker 4: A mortgage officer, A police officer who evicted people that can't pay their mortgages, like they're all risky.
Speaker 2: That is not what I wantage officer.
Speaker 5: Stars, Aaron, I think you're thinking about dep who evict people when they're not paying. That's not a mortgage officer. That's just a normal police officer.
Speaker 1: Officer, someone you go to when you need a house loan, and they do all the paperwork and figure out if you can get a good rate.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and I think they make good money too.
Speaker 1: It's literally so boring.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I would work for like a bank or a credit union. Like, it's not even remotely violent at all.
Speaker 5: You've spoken about the dangers of banking paper cuts, Aaron, Is this making sense to you?
Speaker 6: So it's not dangerous?
Speaker 1: No, we all just heard the light bulb, so you knew it was mortgage officer this entire time. You just didn't understand the difference between that and a police officer.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 6: I guess I just never heard the term.
Speaker 4: I just heard officer, and you know, different type of officer, especially since we're watching those police shows of the day.
Speaker 6: I don't know. I just.
Speaker 1: If it makes you feel better. Erin has been thought taxidermy was for taxes, like doing paperwork.
Speaker 5: So okay, okay, he's still hearing about it from Brook and that was five years ago.
Speaker 1: That is part of my arsenal for sure. That's a funny story.
Speaker 3: Okay.
Speaker 5: Yeah, so clearly this was a giant misunderstanding. I'm really glad that we took time out of our day to get this cleared up.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and you use your pros and cons list.
Speaker 5: Yeah, you could still make a pros and cons for the mortgage officer thing though, if you want to, Aaron.
Speaker 6: Can we just forget this call I've ever happened?
Speaker 1: The definitely not, She says, that'ship for the rest of your life.
Speaker 5: The good news is your boyfriend, Aaron was genuinely concerned about you and your safety, and he went through all this trouble to come to a radio show to.
Speaker 3: Reach out and just make sure that his points were heard.
Speaker 1: So it makes sense why he thought you didn't understand the dangers of that job.
Speaker 5: Actual about it, because the basically are none.
Speaker 2: Right, Yes, this does make a lot more sense now, Okay.
Speaker 5: Yeah, well, good luck to the two of you as your relationship continues to grow.
Speaker 1: And hey, and let's hope those Feds drop the rate right Oh.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, no kidding, brooking Jeffrey in.
Speaker 5: The morning, getting a lot of texts into seven eight, five, nine two with a decent amount of people who also did not know what a mortgage officer was or just weren't familiar with the terms. Okay, but did anybody think.
Speaker 3: It was that extreme?
Speaker 1: Yeah? I get it, though, if you've never bought a house like I. You know, I had never dealt with one until we bought a house. Yeah, what it is, But I wouldn't jump the cop.
Speaker 5: Ever, it's confusing if you've never heard mortgage officer before. But basically, take the most boring job you could think of. Multiply that by ten, and that's almost as dull as what an actual mortgage officer does.
Speaker 1: I mean not to insult any mortgage officers listening or anything.
Speaker 5: No, No, I mean I say that in the most risk sul way possible.
Speaker 1: Why do you do the paperwork?
Speaker 3: That's right.
Speaker 5: I do have a feeling though, when Aaron and Fiona talk about this a little later tonight, he's gonna be like, are you sure you can't do like a little bit more dangerous of a job, because this isn't very fun to talk about.
Speaker 1: Well, yeah, it sounds like he just wanted the handcuffs. Oh yeah, you don't need a job title for those, No you don't.
Speaker 5: Yeah, we'll send you a link to get your own eron if you want those. But if you ever want some of our advice, some of our help, you can always email the show. We'll try and help you through whatever awkward personal family situation you're dealing with.
Speaker 1: Yeah, misunderstanding.
Speaker 5: Either way, we're there for you. Just find us online at Brook and Jeffrey