Speaker 1: Campsite Media, stark Lash.
Speaker 2: Hey, they're good people.
Speaker 3: I'm Josh Deen, a journalist, and I'm Murray Scovel, a comedian. We're here to shamelessly plug our new weekly show, Crimeless, cooked up in the true crime comedy lab by the mad geniuses at SmartLess Media, Campsite Media, and big money Players.
Speaker 1: It's got everything, fake hit men, terrible alibis, and of course, gangs of angry, horny monkeys. And it's all coming your way in December. But before we hog up your earballs, we wanted to start things off with a palate cleanser.
Speaker 3: A wild eight episode romp about one of the dumbest and most outrageous heists in US history, perpetrated by some fine Southern goofballs.
Speaker 1: I actually prefer high functioning ding dongs, Josh. We call it Crimeless Hillbilly Heist, and we got the finest narrator of his generation to tell it to you, a man.
Speaker 2: So talented they named a city after him. That's right.
Speaker 1: I'd like to pass the mic to the patron saint of Jackasses, the one and only Johnny Knoxville, to bring you Crimeless Hillbilly Heist.
Speaker 4: It's kind of like watching a movie where the volume is kind of muted. There was so much adrenaline, so much sweat, so much stress, that there are bits and pieces of it that are just fragments of memory.
Speaker 5: It's the evening of October fourth, nineteen ninety seven, at a Loomis Fargo cash storage facility outside of Charlotte, North Carolina. David Gant is the vault supervisor at this building, where tens of millions of dollars in cash sit in a bank vault and armored trucks arrived frequently making deliveries and drop offs. David's the only one here this evening. He just told his trainee to go home. Now David's left to guard the money alone. He's a redhead in his mid twenties, tall and lanky, with bright blue eyes. He's worked at Loomis Fargo for a few years now, making a couple bucks more than minimum wage for dangerous work, and he's about to say fuck that. As soon as David knows the training is gone, he sashays back to the vault, where he's already left the heavy door propped open. The trainee didn't know to check for that. David hurries into the gray room, where as fate would have it, the cash is already shrink wrapped and stacked onto push carts. Each one is about two million bucks on wheels.
Speaker 4: I pop the seal on it, open it up, and it's just rows of twenty dollar bules about yea thick, hundreds of them.
Speaker 5: There's fifteen million dollars in the vault, maybe more a literal ton of cash, and David is going to take it all by himself. The facility is designed so an armored car can pull into the building and ride up to the vault entrance. David already has a company van park there ready to go. He starts rushing the carts into the back of the van. But even with the carts already loaded, this is exhausting work, as loading more than two thousand pounds into a van by yourself tends to be the.
Speaker 4: Pile of steady, growing and growing. I'm sweating, you know. Even my socks are working.
Speaker 5: And as if this isn't stressful enough, David's pager keeps blowing up with messages from his very nervous accomplices waiting outside.
Speaker 4: They're out there panicing because I think it's gonna be ten minutes.
Speaker 5: He's at it for an hour, back and forth, lugging cash, muscles aching.
Speaker 4: It's the worst hour, longest hour of my life.
Speaker 5: But finally he's got it, all of it, well, everything you get carried. David skillfully ejects the security tapes from the VCRs and throws him in the van along with the money. Then he sets a timer on the vault door so it can't be reopened for several days, an insider trick, creating an extra obstacle to slow down anyone who tries to trace his steps. David plans to be long gone by the time anyone can get back into the vault. He jumps in the van and drives to the automated gate at the back of the lot. He hits the button to exit, and this.
Speaker 4: Is where I have my first real mishap of the.
Speaker 5: Evening, because the gate won't Openvid's trapped. He knows he can't take back what he's done. The vault's locked, and he's the one who took the cash out of it. He's already a criminal, a criminal who's just pulled off one of the largest cash heists in history, so close to escape, and now the only thing between him and freedom is basically a malfunctioning garage door opener. The thing is, David did everything right, had it all planned out. He was so close to paradise, so close to being a rich man boarding a plane to somewhere exotic.
Speaker 4: There's lost places to explore. I could go gold mine or looking for emeralds. I could live out romance in the stone or in there Jones, spend the rest of my life on a sailboat, Jimmy Buffett.
Speaker 5: So minor speed bump here. Surely there's another way out, because if David Gant went straight to prison without so much as exiting the property, it wouldn't be much of a story, and they probably wouldn't have hired me to tell this story. Right From Smartness Media, Campsite Media, and big money players in partnership with iHeart Podcasts. I'm Johnny Knoxville and you're listening to Crime List Bill Billy Heist, Episode one, Money stinks. If there's one thing in life I like is short sighted, some would say dumb criminals. And let me tell you, this group of thieves ain't the smartest outlaws in history. They ate the second smartest either. But wow, what a story. Eight episodes of Honest to God True Crime. We knew they were trying to kill David Khant. Massive screw ups.
Speaker 6: The perfect crime is probably impossible to commit.
Speaker 5: Screw ups attempting to cover up the previous screw ups.
Speaker 2: It was the perfect storm and a sewer.
Speaker 5: People discovering their true selves. I have been labeled with sociopathic tendencies, but that's also coming from over educated people with too many degrees and dreaming big dreams.
Speaker 6: I remember saying I'm a rich bitch now and kind of felt good.
Speaker 5: We also got folks gifting boob jobs to the relatives, stocking wine cellars with perhaps blue ribbon, and of course a velvet elvis painting. This was a huge story at the time, and it's damn near turned into a legend.
Speaker 4: It did feel kind of like Robinhood, except for the part where he steals from the rich and gives to the core. I guess that kind of works, but I'm not that generous.
Speaker 5: The point is this is a story about saying the hell with all the rules and going after the life you really want. It's about achieving the American dream, even if you have to steal it, even if you have to leave your old life behind. Our story takes place in the nineteen nineties, a simpler time when doctors thought that margarine was good for you. The Internet was still new, and people carried around these little pieces of folded up green paper to buy things. This paper was a big deal, big enough to risk your life for. The nineties were also boom times for the American economy.
Speaker 3: Every day America Online is making it easier for people to live, work, and play.
Speaker 5: This was before the dot com bubble burst, before the housing crash, before all kinds of things that made our lives kind of shitty. In the three decades since, the nineties felt like they could continue the prosperity of the nineteen eighties. Maybe even more than that, it seemed like just about any it could get rich. The nineties were about big time money, fu money, making it rain in a rap video money. And Charlotte, North Carolina, where our story takes place, was along for the crazy ride.
Speaker 7: Charlotte being touted at this gleaming city of the New South.
Speaker 5: That would be Jeff Diamond, a journalist who covered our story for The Charlotte Observer and wrote the definitive account in his book Heist. Jeff was there for every what in the actual hell twist in turn of this massive story. Jeff was a young reporter when all this happened. He was twenty four, about the same age as David Gant, and like a lot of young reporters, Jeff made his bones on the crime beat. This work often led him to a town just outside of Charlotte called Gastonia, the crown jewel of Gaston County.
Speaker 7: It was known throughout the Charlotte region for having kind of wacky things happened.
Speaker 5: But Jeff felt there was a lot to like about Gastonia.
Speaker 7: My favorite food pilgrimage here is a theft footage type place called the Shrimp Boat, which is actually known for its chicken.
Speaker 5: It was true, though, that the nineties boom times had left Gastonia behind. People there felt like the whole damn town hadn't been invited to the party. And Gastonia, of course, was David Gant's old stomping grounds.
Speaker 4: People would look at Gastonia, they called it the gas House, and that's where all the worker bees came from. All the people blue collar. If you lived in Gastonia, they pretty much considered you trailer park trash and if you lived in one of the small communities between here and there, you were much better.
Speaker 5: At the time. Jeff is working the crime beat. David Gant spends his days behind the wheel of an armored truck carrying millions of dollars at a time, a glamorous job for a country.
Speaker 4: Kid'striggling with that amount of money is exciting, and then you realize that money stinks. It smells because people hide it and they put it in there. They put it in their underwear, and they keeping their socks, they put in their brazier, and oh, people treat money horribly. Even brand new money has a stinch to it. After a while, the truck gets this mix of booty, short money and new money. This job is filled with wonderful aromas.
Speaker 5: David carts around a lot of other people's money, but he has very little of his own. He makes eight dollars and fifteen cents an hour. Technically speaking, he has less than zero dollars because he and his wife, Tammy, are in debt. And as David drives his route day after day through the streets of the town he grew up, and he can't help but think a lot about how his life was supposed to work out differently. Growing up in Gastonia, David spent a lot of time squirrel hunting and drag racing, figuring out how to make his own fun.
Speaker 4: To my mindset, if you're bored, you're not creative enough, and so we would. We would invent stuff. We made our own wine.
Speaker 5: It was horrible. Another hobby was sneaking into the lakeside properties where the rich folks kept their vacation homes and hauling a cheap illuminum fishing boat straight past the note trespassing signs.
Speaker 4: People come out on their docks and yell at us, and that's that was just part of growing up.
Speaker 5: But life wasn't all homemade wine and trespassing. He'd also go to church with his parents and have long sit downs with his dad for what they called the man's breakfast eggs bacon, sausage, plus coffee and good conversation over the breakfast table. David's dad taught him about the world, how to act, how to present himself, what to expect out of life.
Speaker 4: You meet so and so's daughter, and if they find you suitable, you get a good introduction. Next thing you know, you've got a good job. You got a good wife, you got the three point five kids, two dogs. You're doing great.
Speaker 5: David's dad had survived combat in World War Two before coming home to raise a family. He made a solid middle class living as a trucker, and his company once gave him a plaque for pulling a couple out of a burning car. His mom was another strapping American individualist. One of David's chief memories of her is when she gashed her arm wide open on her broken fruit bowl and then drove herself to the hospital. Come on, boy, I gotta go to doctor hardcore. His parents had life down pat They didn't need a thing from anybody.
Speaker 4: I wish I could be as tough as they were, you know. That's one of my wandest wishes to make them proud, and I struggled with that.
Speaker 5: David earned his high school diploma, and then he joined the military. He served in Desert Storm as a mechanic fixing Apache helicopters. While he was deployed, he started getting letters from acute cashier he met at the wind Dixie grocery store back home, a girl named Tammy. They wrote back and forth, and soon they were trading love letters. David married Tammy soon after finishing his tour in the army, and they eventually settled back in Gestonian. He played by the rules just like his dad had taught him, and he expected to be rewarded with a life just like his parents had. But while he had the girl, he still didn't have the other pieces to the puzzle. Turns out no civilians had an Apache helicopter for him to fix.
Speaker 4: The economic opportunities were kind of slim, and I was struggling financially and I had a new wife, and I'm thinking in the back of my head and eventually we're going to have kids. We're not going to make it on this, and I started really sol search being a married man and trying to be like my dad. To me, I felt like a failure. And I did some really menial jobs that didn't pay anything, didn't mean nothing to me, and that's where I ended up working for Wells Fargo.
Speaker 5: It's actually Loomis Fargo, a private company that drives the big bank's money around.
Speaker 4: Being a driver Wells Fargo is getting up at the same time every morning, putting on the same uniform every morning, getting in the same truck with the same person every day, What do you do the same route every day.
Speaker 5: That route began and ended at the Loomis Fargo facility, a nondescript building outside of town, surrounded by a chain link fence. Besides the vault where the money was kept, there was also a cash room where the money was counted. And everyone in there was making shit pay, and there were a lot of jokes about, you know, like snatching as much cash as they could.
Speaker 4: We would joke with them about running off to you know, Jamaica or whatever. The management at Loomis Fargo did not appreciate any type of dark humor in that industry.
Speaker 5: David did, however, have one personality trait beloved by all bank managers.
Speaker 4: I'm very impulsive. It kind of brings me a weird sense of joy to do something. Just if I see something interest me, I might just go do it.
Speaker 5: But David kept his impulsive side and check. He kept up with the grind, never missing a payment on the mobile home he shared with Tammy. Then one day at Loomis Fargo, he met a new employee, a woman who broke up the monotony and threatened to set David's impulsive side free.
Speaker 6: I remember one day pulling in when I was still a driver, and David Gant comes up to the vehicle and I opened the door. He says, I'll be your friend if you'll give me a cigarette. I said, I don't need any more friends, but i'll give you a cigarette.
Speaker 5: Kelly Jane Campbell had certain desirable qualities.
Speaker 6: I did know that I was good looking. I mean, of course, I had a lot of attention from a lot of guys.
Speaker 5: In other words, she's the ideal character for any Loomis Fargo employee to imagine running off to Jamaica with.
Speaker 6: And then we just kind of became friends from there and started talking and stuff. I knew he was attracted to me.
Speaker 4: We chit chatted and talked, and we shared a lot in common. We had grown up similar from similar areas, similar backgrounds, blue collar words, lots of talk around and that's where our friendship sort of began. And after that it kind of grew. And I don't know how to.
Speaker 5: Explain it now. A polite Southern man, especially married one, doesn't talk about this sort of thing without beating around the bush.
Speaker 4: A little good look a woman, blonde hair, blue eyes, I don't know, but she was very pretty warm, and I was attractive tour.
Speaker 6: I was not physically attracted to him, but he was funny.
Speaker 5: He was funny oof. For all their differences, Kelly and David did have one thing in common. They wish their lives had worked out differently. They were already swimming in regret and they were just in their twenties.
Speaker 6: I got married when I was eighteen. My mom tried to talk me out of it. Is she of course, your mom knows you better than anybody else. I got married to Jimmy Campbell. He had had a crush on me all through junior high. His the nickname of Spanky. Everybody knowed him as Spanky even in school, and he said it was because he looked like Spanky from the Little Rascals when he was a kid.
Speaker 2: It stug.
Speaker 5: Spanky drove a cement truck and later operated a bulldozer at a landfill. Kelly worked off and on while taking care of her two kids.
Speaker 6: Money wasn't plentiful. We basically lived from paycheck to paycheck. I mean, he was a hard person to get along with sometimes.
Speaker 5: Kelly also had a son from before she and Spankey were together, and Spanky and the boy did not get along. David had his own problems, of course, and the struggles of adult life, of bad marriages, low paying jobs drew Kelly and David together.
Speaker 6: When you're not happy and you're marriage, it's just it starts out with you know. It was just nice to have somebody to talk to that's different, somebody you convent to that's not in the situation.
Speaker 4: We talked about a lot of different things. It was kind of like a breath of fresh air to have somebody that you could talk across to. At least for me, we spoke the same language.
Speaker 5: This continued on for about a year, David nurturing a serious crush Kelly eh enjoying a friendly ear, willing to listen. But then Kelly left Lumis Fargo for another job. She and David stayed in touch a bit, but neither of their circumstances really changed much. David was still married to Tammy, still in debt, still feeling like a failure, while Kelly kept moving along with her own life, marriage troubles, financial woes, and then Kelly started hanging out with another guy she kept in the friend zone over the years, a guy named Steve Chambers. For all the so called unwanted attention Kelly got from guy She tended to get along with them better than women.
Speaker 6: It's sad to say, but a female stab you in the back a lot quicker than male will.
Speaker 5: So Steve declined to talk to us for the story. By the way, we contacted his lawyer and followed up, but never heard back. He and his then wife Michelle are the only main players from this gang of yahoos you won't hear from directly.
Speaker 6: Steve. He could talk good talk. After high school, there was a lot of years where we didn't see each other, and then when he started coming back around, he said that he had these connections with people, and he always fancied the movie Godfather, and I think that's where a lot of his persona came from. He liked to talk bigger than what he really was. I think he had a very good imagination.
Speaker 5: Steve did give a brief interview to Jeff Diamont back in the day.
Speaker 2: Steve had to go.
Speaker 7: He he was kind of a burly guy. He often borrowed language from gangster movies like Goodfellas. He also had a history of various petty crimes that had maybe familiarized him with certain ways of operating.
Speaker 5: In other words, Steve wasn't all talk when it came to his criminal persona. Although he was a bit of a professional squealer.
Speaker 7: He was somebody who would call the FBI about crimes that had not yet happened, but which he knew were being planned, and the reason he knew they were being planned with because he was helping plan them.
Speaker 5: As part of his made man persona. Steve liked to entertain people in his trailer. He'd serve steaks, pass out drinks, and generally talk bullshit. One day, Kelly went over to Steve's house for beers in a game of Uno, which would turn out to be the most consequential game of Uno in history. At first, Kelly didn't think much of it when Steve made a bold proposal.
Speaker 6: Steve started talking about, have you ever.
Speaker 5: Thought about doing something big, like real big at Loomis Fargo?
Speaker 6: And I'm like, well, I don't. First, he says, and I'm sure he's seen it in a movie somewhere. He says, well, what do you think about You take a hangarnaid and put it on the window and they'll run out of the vehicle and then you can rob it, and I'm like, no, that wouldn't work. I said, it's armor. I don't even know. That's too dangerous. So he just, you know, we start throwing around ideas about how you could rob a.
Speaker 5: Truck, just your run of the mill uno chit chat.
Speaker 6: Most of his were outlandish like that. But then when he found out that David Gant was attracted to me, and he's like.
Speaker 5: Well, do you still talk to him?
Speaker 6: I said, yeah, I still talk to him sometimes. He's like, well, you think about he would rob the place? I said, m maybe I could probably talk him into it. He does work in the vault.
Speaker 5: Since Kelly left Loomis Fargo, David had been promoted to work in the vault, but all his problems were still hanging around.
Speaker 4: My job beating me up. Now it's not just morning, it's beating me to death because I'm getting up at three point thirty four o'clock in the morning, driving from King's Mountain to Charlotte, opening up And when I say opening up, far Ago, I'm the first guy to put on body armor, going with a shotgun and a flashlight. Cut the lights all on, check every room all the way to the back. Make sure there's no bad people, and that's mildly stressful because if you do run into a bad guy, it's you and him.
Speaker 5: David was working such long hours that he barely had time to keep his work pants clean. A new manager gave him crap about it one day, and David snapped.
Speaker 4: He said something about you need to respect me. I said, respect is earned, not given, and then I went on a little rant. I said the only thing that is given is sympathy, and if you want sympathy, look between shit and syphilis in the dictionary and walked off.
Speaker 5: I thought I was fired, but fired he was not. He kept working long hours and then going home to Tammy so they could argue.
Speaker 4: Our problem with money was we just didn't have enough of it. It's like a brick would drop on you every day because you understand the credit card company's charging you well, I'm good at math twenty four percent interest every month, that little clock is running, and my brain's keeping tally of the math.
Speaker 5: David realized with minimum payments they were barely keeping up with anyway. It would take thirty years to pay that debt off.
Speaker 4: And one day that just slapped me in the face. I'm like, we're never going to get out from under this, never ever. And it put me into like a today I understand it, and me into a depression. And it really affected my marriage, even though I hid it well, and I probably didn't treat Tammy as good as I should have. I didn't give her the attention that she needed. I didn't give her the emotional support she probably needed. I was there physically, but mentally and spiritually I wasn't there. My brain had already checked out.
Speaker 5: And then one day out of the blue, David's old crush, Kelly calls. She has an idea something. She and her pals Steve of just been kicking around.
Speaker 4: She calls me up and we're still chit chatting. She goes, what do you think about Robin Wells Fargo? And I thought about it for a second. I said, if you pick the right day, pick the right time, it'd be easy. She said, think about it and get back with me.
Speaker 5: David didn't have to think about it for too long.
Speaker 4: I was mentally drowning, and so when my co worker approached me about Robin Wills Fargo, it was like somebody thumia loading a lifeline something. And you know, my impulsiveness my desire to just get the sea of pressure off of me.
Speaker 5: I said, yeah, the heist was still just a notion. Each figure the other might just be joking about running off with the money, just like all the employees at Fargo used to do. But David took the lifeline and ran with it. He started planning, a skill he was taught in the military.
Speaker 4: I had a drill shart to tell me, we don't even take a pooh. He didn't users word pooh, but he said, we don't even take a pooh without a plan, words.
Speaker 2: To live by.
Speaker 5: He didn't know whether Kelly was actually in or out, but that didn't stop him from thinking it all through. The best time to rob the place would be one of his weekend shifts, when there were fewer employees around but still a fair bit of money in the vault. He started to keep track of the money to see exactly how much might be sitting around, and what he observed was pretty crazy. There was always more than ten million dollars in cash just sitting there, all stacked up, sometimes fifteen millions, sometimes even more. They were basically begging someone to take it. The next time she and David talked, Kelly was impressed by what she was hearing, well as impressed as Kelly can get.
Speaker 6: There was not a lot of extensive planning that went into it. I mean, it was just, you know, how much planning do you really need for somebody that works in the ball to load the money in the truck and drive away.
Speaker 5: As things developed, David realized he wasn't just doing all this to pay off his credit card debt. He was planning an entirely new life with Kelly.
Speaker 4: She'd call or she'd call me on my pager and we'd meet, chit chat. You know, it felt very cleaned this time, because we're both sneaking and we're plotting against the big corporation. It's all cloak and dagger. It's kind of fun, and my impulsive brain is just eating it up.
Speaker 5: They'd meet in the grass field behind the shooting range, a place David used to go four wheeling with his buddies when he was in high school. It was hard to say whether the plan would ever really come together, but as the weeks went on, it started feeling more and more real to David, like this is possible. He read books about the FBI and learned that the number of agents on a case went down after one year, and it became a cold case after two. He thought that if they could lay low long enough, this crazy thing just might work. About a month before the highst Kelly went so far as to give him a kiss, just a little peck, but in a way it was what turned this theoretical plan into a reality.
Speaker 6: We'd go out there in the woods and sit on the tailgate and drink and talk, and we never really got physical with each other. I think there was maybe the only one or two kisses. I insinuated that we were going to be an item. The plan was for once he got into Mexico and everything settled a little bit, then I would come into Mexico and David Gant and I was going to start a life together and be happy. I guess, of course, never really had any intention of leaving my family and going down there, but it made it really easy to talk him into doing what he did. I guess some people were just more easily persuaded than others.
Speaker 5: Meanwhile, Kelly convinced David that Steve was an important part of the plan. She said he had mafia ties, and he could launder the money, and he could get David a fake id on this particular item he delivered. Steve procured a birth certificate from a buddy, and David got a brand new identity. Steve also put together a crack Hei screw, a veritable who's who of who's available, some to help move the literal tons of money, others with no discernible role other than to make Steve look more like the boss. Keeping up with his crime movie inspiration, Steve took the idea from Reservoir Dogs, you know, where all the patsy's involved in the job only knew each other by color coded names, and.
Speaker 6: Not mister Purple some guy at some other job as mister Purple, you're miss the pink.
Speaker 5: David was never supposed to meet Steve, so they couldn't identify each other to the police. Through all this, Kelly pretty much just kicked back and watch it all happen. And yet she was the crucial piece of the whole thing, maybe even more important than David, who worked in the vault.
Speaker 7: Without Kelly, this would not have happened. He was the person who connected Steve to David.
Speaker 5: David got his shift schedule, he took the final step in his planning and picked the day for the heist.
Speaker 4: I was keeping track of it, and I thought, Okay, this next coming weekend is fourth I'm working.
Speaker 2: I want to do it.
Speaker 4: Then get your people ready. We're doing it. And I don't think they really believed I would do it, And there were moments when I didn't think I would do it. It's kind of hard to explain how my pride got involved that once I said we're going to do this, there was no more backing out.
Speaker 5: David Gant was about to take the biggest leap of his life, but it meant leaving his old life behind. All this time, he had kept this whole thing a secret from Tammy, his wife of five years, and his parents, the people he was so determined to live up to that it was driving him crazy. He'd have to say goodbye to his own name and to every person he ever knew, refriend every familiar face, every childhood lake and forest and mountain, every previous day of his life. David had to make a choice. Either he stays and lets his soul get ground to dirt by his job, by the shitty food he can afford on his salary, by his depression, or he can leave it all abandoned his family in the dead of night and become an outlaw.
Speaker 4: I'm either on the path of destruction physically or spiritually. And I said, let's go with the money.
Speaker 5: But you know what they say about money and problems.
Speaker 2: That was dumb.
Speaker 4: People do not follow my example. That was one of the huge mistakes. It was either a Hell's angel or Ben Franklin said three can keep a secret if two are dead, and I wish I'd known that.
Speaker 5: Then did we really know how to go about it?
Speaker 2: I don't think so. You know the dangers, but you do it anyway.
Speaker 5: It's definitely a fucking mentality.
Speaker 6: So where Sarah like, God, what do we do? What do we do?
Speaker 4: And you hear all the news, the Diamond Ring, the new Boobs, the Ridiculous House BMW. But they had re upholstered knows jobs.
Speaker 5: That's coming up on this season of Crimeless Hillbilly Heist.
Speaker 2: Hey, folks, it's Josh Gen again.
Speaker 3: Rory Scoville and I are going to take a few minutes here to digest what just happened there.
Speaker 2: It's a public service we like to.
Speaker 3: Do, oh boy, because no one pays attention anymore. You're all on your phones, that's right. My immediate takeaway is that I absolutely love David Gant. Yes, I worked on the series, so I'm aware of what's coming for him, but I still feel so nervous for the guy.
Speaker 2: He just wants Kelly to love him and to party a little. Yeah.
Speaker 1: If I got to say, my main takeaway from just this first episode of getting to know him, it's that you're unhappy with your life and you want to make a change and do something else. I almost don't even see him as a criminal. I don't even hear criminality in his voice, even though he committed a major crime. This sounds so weird to say committed a massive theft. I almost don't even blame him. I'm like, ah, wait, you stole from the banks. We the people have been stolen from so many times. I almost see this guy's living out the fantasy we all kind of have.
Speaker 2: Totally.
Speaker 3: Like I said, I know how this ends, but I'm still rooting for him because he's so likable.
Speaker 2: I agree.
Speaker 3: So give me your honest assessment of the plan, like as a as a master plan to steal money, how do you feel like they're.
Speaker 1: Doing There were moments where I thought, oh, David Gampt is not that he doesn't seem to be as dumb. It does seem like he did think of certain things. He just didn't think of certain things all the way through. It seemed like David gant on his own with his military style thinking. Maybe had he drawn the whole plan up and didn't just decide that he was going to him up with morons, it maybe would have had a different outcome, or he maybe could have been on the lamb a little longer.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: The problem is that I think Steve thinks he's actually a brilliant criminal.
Speaker 1: I know, but it is not actually, Yeah, and like hasn't thought about for someone who is so obsessed with criminality in the mafia and scarface and all of this type of stuff, it just seems like has no education from watching all that stuff to even know the basic details of you know, how to hide the money, how to escape, how to pull off this heist. It was like, literally, let's all sit side by side in a parking lot across the street and wait.
Speaker 2: I feel like we've all known as Steve.
Speaker 3: He's the guy who like talks confidently about something he knows actually nothing about.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but I also got to say in Steve's Behalf, there's a lot of people who have dreams and they don't follow through with them. Steve, Steve was never going to get up on following his dream.
Speaker 3: Fly High, Steve. Will they get away with it? I actually know, but I'll never tell. If only we could listen to episode two, Oh wait we can?
Speaker 2: Oh my God Magic.
Speaker 5: Crimeless. Hillbilly Heist is a production of SmartLess Media, Campside Media and Big Money Players in partnership with iHeart Podcasts. Bill Billy Heist is narrated by me Johnny Knoxville and created by Liz Elkington and Stuart Bailey. Written by Michael Kenyon Meyer with Liz Elkington and Stuart Bailey, Produced by Lane Rose and Sierra Franco. Additional production help by Rajeev Gola. The series was sound designed and mixed by Ewin l Tremwen, fact checking by Gray Lanto and a special thanks for our operations team Doug Slaywyn Ashley Warren, Sabina Mara and Destiny Dingle, iHeart Podcasts and Big Money Players. Executive producers are Jack O'Brien, Lindsay Hoffman and Matt Appadaca. Campsite Media's executive producers are Josh Steen, Vanessa Grigoriatis, Adam Hoff, and Matt Cher. Executive producers are Liz Elkeaton and Stuart Bailey from SmartLess Media. The producers are Will Arnett, Jason Bateman, Sean Hayes, and Richard Corson. Bernie Kaminski is the head of production. The associate producer is Mattie McCann.
Speaker 2: If you've enjoyed
Speaker 5: Crimeless Hillbilly Hies, please rate and review the show wherever you get your podcasts.