Speaker 1: Aj Hinch is so logical and strategic and like high level poker player with his roster and with the way he manages.
Speaker 2: Hey, we've got Tiger's broadcaster Fox broadcaster Jason Benetti joining us right now. Good to see you, Bud. Been listening to you a lot lately. You're crushing it, and I have to start here. What the heck's going on? You're calling to the most unique plays I think I've ever seen, and it happens in the last few weeks.
Speaker 3: What are you doing?
Speaker 1: I don't know. I have no idea. The Tiger's season has been overserved, like there's something something has happened to the Tigers season. There's insanity every night. There was insanity every night from August on last year. I have no idea, and I like, we had just seen a couple innings before the replay of the Abray you won, which was crazy, like great job a Bray you and Rafaela. Zach McKinstry was even shocked. Like if you look at the reactions of Dingler and McKinstry, they're like, what what was that? I did that happen? And they're the ones who did it. So I mean, I think that's pretty much a microcosm of what the Tigers have been the last calendar year.
Speaker 3: All right. By the way, we had this argument because when I text you to come on our show today, I said, and you said, you might be in your Uber. I'm happy that you're not in your Uber. But do you take an Uber Excel, do you take an Uber black or do you take a different Uber that I never heard of, like an Uber van or something. I don't know.
Speaker 1: I never get black or practice do you think I go to I never practiced alack. I don't know.
Speaker 3: Because we had this with Matthew Boyd and he's like, I might crowds ask if he takes an uber or a taxi. I'm like, nobody takes taxis as the big.
Speaker 1: Leagues now, so uh, you know, just regular Uber, Like I don't need Uber black. I do, like if there's the extra two dollars for like, uh lift, like preferred or whatever, because the cars are supposed to be cleaner, and like, I don't like my big pet peeve is getting into an uber or lyft and the person has just recently smoked, like I don't want to smell, like I just left Blackjack at the Flamingo. When I get in a car and then out of a car, I'm out for that.
Speaker 3: Hey, I've been in cars with you. That is such a lie, dude. That is the that is like the that is like the biggest line, like you don't want a special car like that is such crap because we go what are you talking about?
Speaker 1: Where?
Speaker 3: Escalate XL please because that.
Speaker 1: Is not true.
Speaker 3: When the shows up in there in their car. Where were you a Baltimore? We were at Botam. Don't tell me to complain, no at all.
Speaker 1: Okay, here's the deal. Here's the deal in Baltimore. I said to AJ after we got out of the car. In Baltimore, I said, first time driving for this guy, because that was not an uber. That was the guy that picked us up. Because we were going like six miles an hour. The one time up a hill, we were literally almost stopped. So it has nothing to do with the size of the car. It had everything to do with the idea that the person probably would have been better off starting in a go cart.
Speaker 3: It was a player. I thought we might have to get out and push because we were Yes, guy, I don't know if we're gonna make it up. This ill that's what he said.
Speaker 1: He said, I don't know if we're going to make it. It was like Glynnstone was driving us. He was using his feet first and then the pedal.
Speaker 3: Uh, by the way, what's lyft? I don't know what lift is?
Speaker 1: Sorry, lift is an over competitor. Sorry a sponsor. I'm sorry. We don't.
Speaker 3: We don't.
Speaker 1: Actually now we want now, you definitely want.
Speaker 3: And I gotta ask you before we before we dig into the Tigers, as you're the Michigan sportscaster of the year, reigning champion.
Speaker 1: Are you happy?
Speaker 3: Are you happy to be the Tigers broadcaster? He still wish you were maybe the Rockies or the White Sox broadcaster, because I mean, you know they're they're having equally good seasons the last couple of years. You know, it's very very similar.
Speaker 1: I don't know what that motion is. Yes, I'm very very happy as the Tigers announcer. I will tell you that when I walked into rate Field yet, the security guard outside said to me, I was like, hey, White Sox are better. He goes, at least we're not the Rockies. I was like, yeah, I get after it.
Speaker 3: Man, that is true.
Speaker 2: Hey, hey, it is tough though, I mean, you can tell us about this, right because you've been a team broadcaster for quite a while now. How much easier is it to do your job when the games are competitive and fun versus I'm sure I don't know which years you've been through and how tough they are, but I know some friends of mine I won't name them in the industry who have been part of, you know, teams that went through long tanks, rebuild, whatever, and they're like, I love calling games, but this gets tough. One hundred and ten plus losses.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the you know, honestly, Like, I did a bunch of minor league seasons that were like rough win seasons two, and everybody on this show, no, it was like the miners, there's even less to play for, So like, I'm kind of used to doing seasons that go south. That happened a bunch of the miners for me. The one thing that I would say I think is really cool about this Tigers team as a narrator is that aj Hinch is so logical and strategic and like high level poker player with his roster and with the way he manages that I can see after watching him for a while, like patterns, but I know that there's there's always a point to what he's doing, so I can search out the point of what he's doing and try to get there. In terms of personnel, like why is this batter up? Why did Andy Ibanyas hit here? Why didn't he hit there? What is it about the pitchers? Stuff? Because there's always a why and a pretty distinct specific why. So to me, it's about more having the logic of somebody in charge that like really does specifically want certain matchups. That makes it a lot easier than when you're guessing.
Speaker 4: Sometimes all right, let's go to this roster. Let's go to this roster that has been winning the whole year. And then Wenzel Perez comes back. Oh, and he just comes out banging. Parker Meadows plays in his first game, and what does he do? Oh, it gets a few hits, but he also makes a diving play in the third most important position on the field in center field. Like you would never look at the Tigers and go they have tons of depth because in the offseason it was like their neck and neck for the Alex Bregman.
Speaker 3: All they got it. They didn't get bragmant.
Speaker 4: Oh it almost seems like the Tigers are like, piss off.
Speaker 3: We didn't even need bragman. We don't need extra depth because we've been winning and.
Speaker 4: Some of these players who have just come back are adding to the team that's already been winning.
Speaker 1: And they've already played a really tough stretches schedule too. Eric, Like you look, they have like the fourth easiest schedule remaining in baseball by win percentage. Maybe it's like sixth as of today, but it's definitely in the bottom third to the league. And you know, Parker Meadows coming back improves one thing the Tigers just have not done a whole lot of this year. They've been number one in baseball and extra bases taken so like first to third, second to home. We've seen Joey Kora just spinning the wheel and waving people around. Coming into yesterday, they were dead last in stolen bases. Parker Meadows immediately in Game one steals a base since coming back from injury. And then also the outfield defense just got so much better. You mentioned when Seal Perez Riley Green moves to the corner, you get Meadows and center. Even though Hobby was great in center field, Parker Meadows is like state of the art in center field, So now you can run out configurations where there are three center fielders. I think that's a huge part of this thing too. So yeah, this is a really scary team that I think probably until like ten days ago, still was kind of lurking nationally.
Speaker 2: FT fan by. Now you know, if you're buying selling trading collection cards, Arena Club is the spot. We've been talking about them all season long. But I do want to focus on the slab pack experience scrats. Since you've been ripping some slab packs digitally and what happens.
Speaker 3: I mean, as a kid, you wanted to rip open the packs. How can they do this digitally?
Speaker 4: Oh baby, this is exciting how the graphics come out and everything. And oh yeah, the card that you pull you can actually get that John physically, so it's perfect. It's all in one place and it's a super exciting experience.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they send that to you from the vault if you want it. But if you look at it and you're like, it's not the card for me, I want to sell back.
Speaker 1: Go for it.
Speaker 2: You can do any of that on Arena Club and you can acquire the best value for your money with those slab packs, transparent checklists, and Arena Club's slab Safe program. Right now you can get twenty percent off your first slab pack or card purchase by going to arenaclub dot com slash foul and use code foul. Arenaclub dot com slash foul, use code foul.
Speaker 3: This team was young, had a young lineup.
Speaker 4: Anytime you have hobby buyers in your lineup, you're not really working too many counts. Have you seen the change that having a glabor torres who has more walks than strikeouts in the lineup? Have you seen how the lineup maybe navigates at bats differently from last year where it was chaos in the bullpen and if our pitching doesn't do anything, you know, we're not going to win. To now a lineup that, to me, I see a difference in how they attack at bats.
Speaker 1: I agree, and I think like I think that playoff experience last year showed the young guys what it takes to succeed, even specifically offensively in the playoffs. I think probably they really believe that their hitters meetings are as detailed as can possibly be. I love that picture, by the way, that is like the grainiest, most hilarious black and white picture ever. That's amazing. That's going to be Tiger of the Day today on our telecast. I have to imagine. But Glabor Torres. AJ Hinch was talking about this when we were in Houston. Josh Reddick had stopped by. He's doing some print posts for the Astros, and AJ was like, man, when we added a guy like Reddick or like other quote unquote professional at bats in Houston, you could see the impact on the lineup and you all know that like you see it. But anecdotally it's true. Glaber Torres is a really difficult specifically first inning at bat generally, and the Tigers for the balance of this season have been at the top of the league in pitches seen in the first inning. They made life really difficult last night on Jonathan Cannon and then bounced him very early from that game. And it's in part because of Glaber's patience and willingness to put together a really strong at bat. I'm totally with you Kratz.
Speaker 2: So Jason, what's the kryptonite, what's the fear right now? And what will we be talking about over the next month and a half come trade deadline time, because yeah, I mean, this team's clicking, they've got a great record, they're in a great spot. But of course they're going work on things at the trade deadline and try and go all further than they did last year.
Speaker 1: What would you do? What's on the wish list? Yeah, I think you know, kryptonite and wish list probably, I would say are a little bit. The fear is injury, right, They've they've handled the injury very well so far this year, with three center fielders on the ais ale to start the year. I think the thing that they would go get if I'm just looking at the numbers and overall picture of the roster, would be swinging miss in the bullpen. Right. The bullpen has had a very nice era this year, top five. The strikeout rate is not fantastic, So I think we have seen enough in the past couple of weeks in tiger Land where Cage Smith comes in out of the Cleveland bullpen and strikes out the side, or like Randy Rodriguez's stuff, or you know whoever, out of that San Francisco bullpen that we just saw in Detroit. I think swing and miss stuff in the bullpen probably would be on the list, and then I think the injury thing would be the kryptonite. But you can also, you know, before the last day of lie if you have an injury, you can settle that at the trade deadline, So you know, I would say number one would be swing and miss out of the bullpen that I would think that they would really start to think about.
Speaker 2: Okay, I want to take us back to the top of the conversation because we didn't really dive in too much. Did you talk to any of the guys that had the pinball place right, because you've called two now, so did you talk to McKinstry or Dingler? And then I guess the other side was two Red Sox players, so maybe less likely, but I mean any aftermath from that, and also how rare it is. I don't know if you can even look that up. I know, I think on the call yesterday you mentioned, you know, is this the first time ever we got a what two five play to play in foul ground to make an out. I don't know if that was looked up, but anything after the fact that you learned about.
Speaker 1: Just a very quick text with McKinstry last night. But like I once we're in the clubhouse today. I'll get you some answers on that, but I like I think they were both for sure, for sure, that was my takeaway. We tried to look it up, but I don't know that that has ever happened. There were a couple two threes, though, like the nineteen eighty World Series. It happened twenty sixteen, David Ross to Anthony Rizzo. They both happened on the other side of the diamond, catcher to first base. I haven't seen any catcher to third base. But we did get a substantial amount of tweets of people telling on folks who said in their replies, I did it in Little league. So I'm certain it's happened and people have done it, but not in Major League Baseball according to what we saw. But no, I haven't talked to him at any length. I'm gonna do that today.
Speaker 3: There's a very famous one of me running over Gordon Beckham in the Metrodome when he tried to play third base catching the ball. Actually, Jason, you'll love this. Gordon's grandmother had a picture painted of it of me crippling Gordon Beckham. Why would she have a picture, I don't know, but she made. She it was like a painted picture. It was like a portrait of me, like running Beckham and I running into each other in the metro. She he had to over. He had to hang it over like his fireplace in his house because it was a grandmother bought of worms. He's like, what am I supposed to do with this thing?
Speaker 1: Did? What did he say to you? Have to Did he say the boys are grinding? Aj the boys are grinding grinding.
Speaker 3: I said, Gordon, get off the tracks when the train's coming through. Okay, should have caught that, called me off.
Speaker 1: I guarantee you he got the worst of that right like he was. Did he get flatten into what happened?
Speaker 3: He might have missed a week. I don't know. I don't remember he retired now. Wow, God, I didn't say that. I love Gordon. I love you.
Speaker 2: I'm kidding too. Uh, all right, I got one more for you on these two plays. I'll do the nerdy broadcasters side of me, because we do, of course have some aspiring broadcasters that watch and listen. How does that play out in your brain? I feel like things happened differently for different broadcasters. I know there's some broadcasters right who try to visualize certain moments, games, playoff, games, whatever, and what kind of calls they want to make. Most I think don't and they just kind of flow. In this case, you don't know what's happening at all to any extent. So how does that play out in your brain? If you can try to give me play by play of.
Speaker 1: The brain while this is happening, Yeah, you know it's it's a good question. The first thing that I would say is, once you do a bunch of games, you know that you can call to play if it's routine, right, You know that, like if it's a pop up, he's either going to catch it or he isn't, so you're ready for that. So I think the thing that's changed for me over the last handful of years five six years, as I've done more and more major League baseball is I'm kind of waiting for the oddity and ready for it. Not that I'm like expecting it in any way, shape or form, because I'm certainly not. But he's either going to catch it or he's not. So like you have that, it's all about watching this play this moment, and so I think you just react as a human being, like my call last night. I don't know that anybody's gonna say, like in broadcasting school, be like no, no, no, no, no, what waite what? But that's what ran through my head, is like not again, right, like we what are we going to keep having these sorts of plays? And he just pinned it to his leg and I was I was just shocked more than anything. And then it's like, Okay, what did that look like to me? And you know, I try to analogize or like whatever pops in my mind. I don't really have an enormous filter, as people will know, so like if it pops in my mind, I'm probably gonna say it.
Speaker 3: Jason, by the way, you're pretty funny. I think you're funny. What I just want to know this, did you realize back in what was it? What year were you in double A with that Fox would hire Joe Davis, You and Adam, I mean all of you guys. One of you's in Montgomery, one of you was in wherever? I mean all three weren't you guys, all three in the Southern League at the same time doing or around the same time and something like that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we were in the miners altogether. I don't think ever in the same league. Joe was in the Southern League. Adam was doing like Indie or he was doing double A in the I think like the East Coast maybe or something like the Summerset Patriots that they were Indie Bough. And then I was in Salem, Virginia with an Astro's team. Uh you know, you ever seen Borat where Borat goes to the rodeo That was in our parking lot. So it was awesome. I love Salem, Virginia. It's a great place. The rodeo is actually in that parking lot. So that's actually true. Uh but yeah, no, it's it's nuts. It's honestly nuts. Like it's it's I wish more minor league announcers would get a chance in the majors because I think there is a lot to having called a bunch of games, like I will tell you I'm not nearly as ready for plays like that like we've seen if I haven't done a ton of games where I've made mistakes like you get to in the miners. Yeah, that's good call.
Speaker 3: Awesome. By the way, you eat more than any of those guys combined. Just so just throwing it out there.
Speaker 1: He throws down.
Speaker 3: Oh this hamster.
Speaker 1: Once this hamster stops running in the wheel, I'm going to be four hundred pounds. Oh my metabolism is saving my life right now.
Speaker 3: Hey, enjoy it while you got it.
Speaker 2: And by the way, props to whatever Fox executive is the scout that goes to those minor league games and he's like, I think we got a guy.
Speaker 1: We got a guy. Keep him on the radar.
Speaker 3: Seriously five years.
Speaker 1: That's what they do with analysts too. That's how they do it with analysts too. They go and why they look for the most irascible catcher they can find, and they're like, that guy's gonna be awesome. Yeah, I can confirm that's real.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 2: Like when I worked at MLB, we would talk to guys sometimes and be like maybe maybe future broadcaster. Yeah that was a big conversation. We'd be like, this guy might have it. Uh, Jason, great stuff man, Great to catch up. Good to see you. Enjoy the rest of the series.
Speaker 3: We'll catch you down the line.
Speaker 1: Thanks guys.