Speaker 1: Bloomberg Audio Studios, Podcasts, radio News.
Speaker 2: This is Bloomberg Business Week, Daily reporting from the magazine that helps global leaders stay ahead with insight on the people, companies, and trends shaping today's complex economy. Plus global business finance and tech news as it happens. Bloomberg Business Weekdaily with Carol Masser and Tim Steneveek on Bloomberg Radio.
Speaker 3: Hi, everyone, Welcome to the weekend edition of Bloomberg Business Week. Tim is off well.
Speaker 4: This week.
Speaker 3: Traders took stock after US Treasury Secretary Scott Bessant announced a surprise increase in long term bond buybacks to stemmaize in yields that had taken them to a near two decade high. Analys have warned the plan maybe a short term fix, giving concerns about large fiscal deficits and oil driven inflation. Also a concern US government debt. We got an update on that this week, coming in at forty trillion dollars. We also got retail earnings, Continued uncertainty over the US war in Iran, a softening trades dance between the US and Canada, and the latest FOMC minutes showing some hawkish sentiment that could re energize Betts for a rate hike come September. All ahead of remarks this coming week from FED Chairman Kevin worsh at the annual Jackson Hole Symposium. His lack of guidance on when or whether the Central Bank will adjust rates has added to uncertainty over the policy outlook, as always the latest one. All of this and more can be found on the Bloomberg terminal end at Bloomberg dot com.
Speaker 1: Now.
Speaker 3: One of the things we love to do is give a topic, an individual, a leader, a market watcher an extended amount of time to talk with us. We learn more we hope you do as well. So last week we did this on the US's latest push to secure rare earths and critical minerals. This week we feature one of the most influential and frequently cited economists in the world. We are talking about Nobel laureate and MIT professor Drone Asamoglu. Our conversation coincided with his new book, What Happened to Liberal Democracy? Remaking up Politics of Shared Prosperity. He joins us in just a moment that chat is chock full of topics for weekend discussions, and since it is the weekend, and because we believe in mixing thoughtful discussions with some fun, we are going to wrap up with the founder of HSP Brands on how gen Z is impacting the cocktail Hour. All right, let's get to it, and let's begin with one important question. What happened to liberal democracy? That is what Nobel Laureate economist and MIT professor Drone Asamoglu explores in his latest book, aptly named What Happened to Liberal Democracy? Remaking a politics of shared prosperity. He argues that liberalism is dying primarily of self inflicted wounds. His solution what he calls working class liberalism. He began talking with Tim and me about the initial success the idea.
Speaker 5: I think liberal democracy is one of the greatest achievements we've had from our ape beginnings and lives in very unequal circumstances, in very uncertain existence mired by violence. Today we live in very complex societies, open to ideas, with lots of individual freedom. People participate in politics peacefully, reach compromise, sometimes consensus, and moreover, we get lots of things from the government, including our ability to express our voice. That is an amazing achievement, and we are, I think, at the cusp of losing it. Liberal democracy, which still in my mind is the best framework definitely something we very much need for the future, is in crisis after decades and decades of actually serving us quite well. So we have to understand that crisis and we have to rebuild liberal democracy unless we risk we want to risk losing it.
Speaker 6: We're going to talk about how you think we can rebuild it, but I want to just get some parameters set here and do some definitions, because early on in your book you talk about the definition of liberalism and how it means different things to different people depending on where you live, the European view versus the American view. Just straighten that out for us right now before we dive into this conversation.
Speaker 5: Yeah, thanks, Tim, And that's very important. Liberalism has had many meanings over the ages and today it's a big tent, but at the core of it is a commitment to protect individual liberties, also protect the weaker members of society, and also a commitment to progress from which we all benefit. Those are the defining features of liberal ideas and they have acted as a rallying cry for people to build a better society. And the way that I define it liberal democracy is the institutionalization of these ideas. It's a it's carrying them to the actual practice of our lives, and it's been brilliantly successful in the grand scheme of things. We've had decades of very rapid growth under liberal democracy. For the about four decades following World War Two. Those were not just high growth periods, but they were periods in which inequality was remaining stable or sometimes even declining. Every demographic group, men, women, by race, different education groups, they saw their earnings grow very rapidly. And you know, always political disagreements were very important, but generally peacefully. Today, if you look at the pictures, very different. Shared prosperity doesn't work anymore. Inequality has increased a lot, but worse. In the United States, We've seen about half of the population without a college degree experience stagnant or declining wages for about four decades, while productivity increase, while people with college degrees postgraduate degrees improve their living standards significantly. And when you ask Americans, they have such negative views of democratic institutions, their trust in Congress, in the Supreme Court, and the presidencies. They are an all time law, the countries polarized, and very concerningly, all Americans, but especially the young, are much less willing to say that democracy is the best form of government, and they're willing to experiment with different ideas.
Speaker 3: There are we destined to come here. I think people point fingers out a particular president or political figure, but we were we destined to be here.
Speaker 5: I wouldn't say we're destined to be here, But I would also not blame it on a particular president or particular set of choices that are us specific, because you see very similar trends across many advanced nations and even in the emerging world. So there are some commonalities there. So that's very important to get the diagnosis right so that we know how to deal with it.
Speaker 6: You actually make the point early on, I mean, this is the way your book begins, and Carol and I were was struck by this because we hear a lot about Victor orbon Now and the figure that he is in Hungary. But you make the point that, look, this is somebody who in the late eighties early nineties was a very different leader and represented something very different, not just for that country, but for Europe.
Speaker 5: Absolutely absolutely, And I think it is sort of telling of the arc of liberalism that he was the poster child for liberty, for building democratic institutions and then he turned his back on all of these ideas. You know, the exact circumstances in Hungary, of course, are different. Post transition societies had a lot of trump many of them navigated them better than Hungary. But I think the issues that we see in the United States have commonalities with Hungary, but they have a lot of communalities with what's going on in the UK and France, in Germany, in the rest of Europe.
Speaker 6: Is there anywhere where this is not happening right now that you would hold up in twenty twenty six as an ideal liberal democracy ideal?
Speaker 5: Absolutely not. And I don't think if you ask me what is an idea that a liberal democracy going back, No, there isn't. That's liberalism is always an aspiring ideology and liberal democracy is always a work in progress. But today you see different degrees of crisis. And one place where I would say the crisis is also showing up in some ways, but in a less severe form in Switzerland. And one of the things about Switzerland is that it's much more participatory. And you also see even today in this polarized world that we live in where people shout at each other, social media has really created a very toxic ecosystem of exchange. You have recently experienced an amazing achievement in Ireland in the context of this decision on the referendum, which was based on citizens assemblies, building consensus, changing people's minds, debating it for a long time, and then putting it to vote for the people, where people actually said this is what we want in two different referendums. So there are ways in which we can make this work even today, but there is a challenge.
Speaker 3: There are challenges, and Tim and I both listened to some different podcasters. When you did with I think James Sanger of Harvard, that was really I said, what was wonderful is it was a dialogue which is so refreshing. The sense of community though, how important that is, And you know, I think it might have been with mister Sayger. This concept of people or maybe living different worlds, completely separate worlds.
Speaker 5: Absolutely, that's a problem. It's a big problem. But let's go back to community. Because thank you for bringing it down Carroll, community was quite important for liberal aspirations going back several hundred years, and when you look at early liberal democracy, communities played a very important role. One of the very bad rock ideas of liberal democracy that there should be self government people. It's not just that you should be free to have thoughts, that you should also be free to put them into practice. That means that to have some control over your life. And it's not enough, or it's not even meaningful to say, oh, you can achieve that by going to the polls once every four years or five years and have a vote. No, that starts with local associations. But the Talkville saw in the United States more than two hundred years one and fifty years ago, and he thought that was just so remarkable. It starts with local governments where people participate. It starts with other organizations like labor unions were a very important way for many working people to participate in self government. And all of these you see they start at the community level. But there's one thing something else, and then you actually put your finger on that, Carol, which is that when we have a debate, I think the best way of ensuring that we're not just talking past each other or we're not shouting at each other. Is that we have some shared values, shared moral understanding, shared principles, and that again comes from communities and then emanates from communities to the national level. So all of these are very important. But liberal democracy over the last several decades has also turned its back on communities. Communities have become more segregated. There has been a deeper division in the United States between say, not just Republican and Democrat, but between more educated and less educated segments. Their values have diverged, their networks have diverged, and everything that was a bit of a like a melting pot is no longer. One very important one that we actually often overlook is where people work the sort of of course I'm exaggerating, but the typical firm of the industrial age was like a manufacturing plant, where you had managers, you had consultants, you had engineers, you had white color workers, blue color worker, custodial workers. So it was a real melting pot. Today, the image that you might have in your mind is Google on the one hand and McDonald's on the other, and complete divide in terms of not just income, education and background on who works there and so we're not getting that melting that will bring those shared principles together on which we can then build something better.
Speaker 3: That was Drone smo Glue, economic Nobel Laureate and Institute Professor in the Department of Economics at MIT. Coming up, we'll have more with him, including how the digital technology revolution unleashed a huge increase in inequality. You're listening to Bloomberg Business Week. This is Bloomberg.
Speaker 2: This is Bloomberg Business Week Daily with Carol Masser and Tim Steneveek on Bloomberg Radio.
Speaker 3: We continue speaking with the author of What Happened to Liberal Democracy? Remaking Up Politics of Shared Prosperity. It is written by Drona Smoglu. He has Economic sciences Nobel laureate an Institute professor in the Department of Economics at MIT.
Speaker 6: This is actually a perfect question for a segue that we wanted to get to and has to do with technology. In your view of technology, could digital connectivity allow a more direct democracy when moving slightly away from representative democracy and to direct democracy help alleviate concerns from those who are losing faith. So two different questions there. I wanted to start with the technology one because you have some really interesting views about technology's role in actually moving us away from liberal democracy.
Speaker 5: What do you think, Well, I mean, let me just say that technology plays a central role in the book, in several parts, but centrally in understanding how we transition from an industrial economy to a post industrial economy. So the Google McDonald's is just a symptom of something much broader about how the economy is organized, and that was a technological transition. Partly globalization played the role as well. But second, algorithms are so much more important today. They in some domains actually rule our lives. So we have to come to grips with information ecosystem, communication ecosystem created by algorithms. Now, in both how digital technologies influence shared prosperity and how algorithm influence our communication. I don't think there is anything predetermined. Technology doesn't come with a pre programmed thing that says I'm I'm going to create inequality, I'm going to destroy communication. It's how we use technology, how we define technology, how we develop it. And on social media, I think it's very telling to go back to how people were viewing it in the late nineteen nineties early two thousands. Everybody thought, I mean almost everybody thought that this was going to democratize communication. The Arab spring was Facebook and Twitter in some places, the new wikis were going to make information available and you know those hopes. Okay, they turned out to be that, right, we can agree on that, but they weren't completely naive. The reason why they weren't naive is because technology had that capability. We could have built new communities for reliable information, to create new compromises, to find new bridging ways in which we can bring ourselves together. But it turned out that the key decisions that many companies made were not about that. My Space, for example, one of the first social media side, is a bit closer to that because it brought communities together.
Speaker 6: Shout out to Tom MySpace.
Speaker 5: Okay, fantastic, yes, But algorithmic feeds that essentially amplified the most incendiary material, the one that gets views because it's extreme, that angers the other side and motivates your side to become even more vocal. Those are the kinds of things that rise up in the algorithmic feed And on another part, they are the things that create envy and undergird mental health problems. But all of them, you know, what they also do. They take their attention towards social media communication and as a result, Americans interact much less physically with other people. They have fewer friends, fewer close friends. They spend much less time going to bars, coffee shops. Nobody calls anybody anymore, and that is very important because the social networks that reform are messy. They teach us to make compromises, and they us a lot of rich, contextual information about our lives.
Speaker 3: Do you blame the tech CEOs who run those companies?
Speaker 5: Oh, we might as well. Why not?
Speaker 4: Well, because it is.
Speaker 3: An interesting time where you are seeing lawsuits against social media companies meta platforms. We keep referencing this in their latest earnings. I think it was two billion dollars for certain lawsuits and they said it was a material impact on the company, and it's just the beginning of lawsuits from our reporting team. But I do wonder what is their responsibility? And this goes to you get into this too, like the people who run these firms, and they're very wealthy and very influential, and I don't think I'm speaking out of turn.
Speaker 4: And we talk about having.
Speaker 3: A seat at the table, at the political table. We don't.
Speaker 4: It's people with their deeper pockets.
Speaker 5: Well, you are very influential, but.
Speaker 4: Actually you are very but anyway, so, but like all of this, of.
Speaker 5: Course we all have responsibility. We all have responsibility if democracy is in crisis, we are all responsible because democracy requires active, vigilant, participating citizens.
Speaker 3: Why are why are people more active?
Speaker 5: I think we took some of these things for granted. Okay, we've gone down the path of sort of easy sort of life, and some of what democratic citizenship requires is messy. Some of the things that we should do in our communities are costly. For example, giving blood. You know, you get very little benefit from that other than the pride that you're contributing to something. And people used to do that much more and they do that much less. That's just a symbolic thing that shows that if you don't create the right narrative, the right sort of way of drawing on our responsibilities, people are going to start withdrawing a little bit, and then a little bit more, and then a little bit more, and then the result because we're not participating in communities and we're not participating to defend democracy.
Speaker 6: But I can't help but think of the changing view that Americans have about democracy in recent years. And I think back to the Democratic National Convention in twenty twenty four and the core message from Democrats and it was I'll never forget this. I was watching this on TV. I watched the Republican one as well, but they played this video that was basically a highlight reel of January sixth, and it was you know, Carol and I were on air covering January sixth when it happened. We were speaking to our colleagues who were at the capital who were, you know, felt under attack. And I remember watching that and thinking, wow, you know, there's no way that Trump is going to win this election because Americans are being reminded.
Speaker 3: Of this right right.
Speaker 6: But it's like January six never happened to so many people, including lom who stand side by side with the president and at one point were very critical of him. And I'm just curious, is like, does that stuff not matter in today's.
Speaker 3: Age or does it or does that really matter to show that there are people who somehow feel like I don't have representation.
Speaker 4: I'm looking for another way. I don't know if that's.
Speaker 6: Part of well, I mean, I think look, it also gets to the court and we'll talk about economics. But it's like, obviously it was what voters felt like, you know, they were driven by economic issues at the polls, not democracy issues.
Speaker 5: I think they were driven by motivated by economic issues, and they were also reacting to Biden's presidency that they thought in some ways didn't work very well. And I think part of the reason why January sixth was not front and center, it's cognitive dissonance. Once they said they were going to vote for the Republican alternative because we want to vote against the establishment, and right now the establishment is by and the left, you know, is always more at the center of liberal democracy because it was you know, things like the new Deliberalism or the social democracy in Europe that led the charge. So it's more associated with establishment. So anti establishment feeling turns against that, and then cognitive dissonance. I don't want to hold two conflicting thoughts in my mind. I'm going to support Trump, well, then I'll downplay January sixth. But the media ecosystem played a very important role. If the media ecosystem was integrated, yeah, and the communities were integrated, that would be much harder because your brother you wouldn't be fighting with your brother, and he would remind you, look, don't you forget January sixth. But today, either in your community there is nobody who has an opposite view to yours, or if they do, the situation has become so polarized that you don't listen to them because you think of them as the enemy, even when they are your brother. And that's really not very productive. But that's in again an ecosystem that we've created. We don't need to be in that ecosystem.
Speaker 4: Do you think.
Speaker 3: And we're going to take a break and then come back and talk some more. In terms of social media companies, technology companies, there needs to be some kind of greater regulation over them. In terms of these platforms because they are so influential.
Speaker 5: Yes, absolutely, So let's take a step back. And democracy needs citizenry, as we discussed, but that needs to be informed citizenry. So information relevant for politics in some level is a public good and if it becomes very polluted, it makes things very difficult. So imagine that a mayor takes important steps and shows how you can rebuild your community, provide better public services, improve things. You mean, the job of the mayor for example, but then social media presents that as a complete failure to everybody. That's going to create real difficulties now. But it's a very delicate issue. Liberalism, as I said, has to spend four starts to stand for freedoms, and freedom of speech is critical.
Speaker 3: And even if you don't believe in that or it's a controversial position I.
Speaker 5: Am. I am a free speech absolutist. I think individuals should be free to express their opinion, but I don't think free speech extends to algorithms. So I should be able to say whatever you want. I want. You should be able to say whatever you want, Carol. But then if algorithms take the worst of what we say and amplify that, that's not freedom of speech. That's manipulation. So that's why we need to put some rules for algorithms. For example, one thing that would work is if we go back to the MySpace day without algorithmic feed you on social media. TikTok wouldn't work because it's the it's exactly based on this algorithmic feed model, But the other ones would work. Facebook could work where just like before, you would go and listen to or watch the videos from your friends and neighbors, or the trusted news sources, but not from the most incendiary sources that have been just fed to you by the algorithm that would at one fell swoop really change the dynamics of how we communicate.
Speaker 3: And the financial structure of that business.
Speaker 4: I mean, that's the other engage.
Speaker 5: Why do you think they're doing it?
Speaker 4: No, I know exactly.
Speaker 6: It all comes down to that one word engagement, right, which is what you know investors care about.
Speaker 3: I want to get to a question from Brendan if I made it, Brendan from Maryland. His question is what is the meaning of participatory citizenship when so few have so much and so many are in need.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 5: I think that's a great question because money plays a role in politics. So if we do not regulate how money is used in politics, then one person, one vote doesn't really mean much. There are several political scientists who have documented that members of the House and Senate listen much more to their wealthier constituents, and then it's no surprise that most Americans say, you know, elected representatives don't speak for us.
Speaker 3: That's drone A. Somoglu, Economic Science Nobel Laureate, an Institute professor in the Department of Economics at MIT. His new book that we are talking about what happened to Liberal Democracy? Remaking up? Politics of Shared prosperity. When we come back the topic that is brought up in nearly every conversation. It involves lots of money and could be the best thing ever or the demise of the world as we know it, We're talking about the role of AI in our democracy. When we continue with our guests this hour, Nobel Laureate Drone A. Somoglu. This is Bloomberg.
Speaker 2: This is Bloomberg Business Week Daily with Carol Masser and Tim Steneveek on Bloomberg Radio.
Speaker 3: We are back on Bloomberg Business Week. We're talking with MIT Professor Nabel Laureate Drone smo Glub his new book, What Happened to Liberal Democracy? Remaking Up? Politics of Shared Prosperity. So far, we have pulled back the curtain on how educated elites have created a social divide in democracies, how widing economic inequality exacerbated that, and the role of technology and how it can actually be a force of solidarity and freedom. On tech, we wanted to go further on what may be the ultimate disruptor of our lifetimes. Artificial intelligence, there is.
Speaker 5: No doubt in my mind. AI is a transformative technology. You can already see it, and it's going to advance even further. But if AI goes in the direction of automating more and more jobs, displacing workers, making many occupations obsolete and the people who used to perform them dispensable, I think that's not consistent with either shared prosperity nor with liberal democracy, because remember, liberal democracy requires us as citizens participate and that's part of the Dignity of work is part of that. Having the means, having the importance in public life is part of that. If we create a two tier society with a lot of people who don't have a job or who are marginally employed, that's going to be a big challenge. But here is the catch. There is nothing in AI that says it should create inequality or it should automate work. AI is the best information technology ever invented. It can provide us very relevant information for problem solving, for doing our jobs better, for doing new things. And that's the idea that I call pro worker AI. Developing AI in a way that's not going to sideline workers, make workers more productive at what they do more central to the production process, and that's critically not just for educated workers. Imagine plumbers and electricians, many of whom are doing critical work for us and are underpaid, and we need more of them. Imagine them becoming better and better both the training of these trades improved, but more importantly, with better problem solving capabilities, with better information in their hands, they can do many more things and that's going to be so important if we can go in that direction.
Speaker 6: Are these massive firms that we talk about each and every day developing pro work AI.
Speaker 5: No, that's the problem. That's the problem. So if you want to look at the how grass is, how full, you're absolutely right, Tim that's not where we're going. But I don't think we should lose hope because if we suddenly had a change of heart among the young, amazing talent that goes into the tech sector and said no, rather than chase this dream of AGI artificial general intelligence, artificial superintelligence, we want to do things that are helpful for how people communicate. Our workers, including nurses, educators, plumbers, electricians, really do their job. We'll get them. It's not actually that hard to develop these technologies. It's much easier than developing super intelligent physicists. But that's not where we're putting our eggs.
Speaker 3: Do we need the government to get us? I mean, what's a company to say, I'm about making money. I'm going to go that path, which is a capitalistic society. If you become public, you want to reward your shareholders like it.
Speaker 5: I think the government has a role to play. Okay, but let me make two other points Carol's. First of all, I don't think that developing pro worker AI would be a money losing proposition. If you're a company, if you can make your workers more productive, that's also beneficial for you. But it's only a mindset for a manager to saylabor is a cost, I'm going to try to eliminate it. Labor is also your asset, and also tech companies that develop successful technologies of this sort, there will be markets for it. Whether at the margin will be more or less profitable than other things, you know, details will determine that. But it's not going to be a money losing proposition if it's really worthwhile to do right, But we need to get there, and that's not where we are. The government has an important role, so does democratic society. These technologies are going to influence all of us, all of our lives are going to be shaped by But by the way, we are fortunate in the United States because they are going to shape the lives of another six billion people who don't live in the United States and in China, but they have no say. We at least have a say. We're still a democracy. Liberal democracies in crisis, but we're still a democratic nation. So we can influence those things, and it's just the right time to do it.
Speaker 3: But you say the path ahead is not easy. Forging working class liberalism is a tall order in the best of times, and much more challenging in today's polarized environment with little trust and institutions that it'll be. Still, we have no alternative but to try. If liberalism does not remake itself, it will be anti liberal, anti democratic alternatives such as new oligarchies, authoritarianism, ethno nationalism, deep rooted hierarchy, or renewed extreme progressive movements that will win out. So the alternative is not great.
Speaker 5: It's not great at all. But the way that I see it is like I draw an analogy with the Roman Empire. You can say the Roman Empire collapsed because the barbarians were very strong, But I think that's the wrong perspective. The Roman Empire collapsed because it had lots of problems inside and that enabled the barbarians to exploit it. It's the same with liberal democracy. We have problems inside liberal democracy. We didn't live up to our promises we are to our great potential, and that has made those anti establishment ideas, some of them very ugly, something that people turn to in reaction. So if liberalism remakes itself, I think it still has a lot of momentum.
Speaker 4: You have faith, I have faith, I have hope. Do we have the right people to do it?
Speaker 3: No, that's to be continued our thanks to Drone Asimoglu, he is Economic Nobel Laureate Institute Professor in the Department of Economics at MIT. We've been talking about his new book, What Happened to Liberal Democracy? Remaking Up Politics of Shared Prosperity. Well, as we get ready to wrap up and if a deep dive talk on institutional gridlock has you reaching for the top shelf, you are in good company. We are taking a look at what's happening with the wine industry with spirits, I mean, just take a look at climate change.
Speaker 4: You've got Europe's heat waves.
Speaker 3: They're putting crops at risk and creating more challenges for farmers. For the wine industry, warmer summers are definitely hitting their calendar.
Speaker 6: Yeah, one of the largest family on vineyards in Spain, Ramot, began picking grapes earlier than ever. This is really interesting in France, and this is coming from our Bloomberg News team. The producer of some of the world's most expensive wines. We're talking about the owner of Okay Am I going to say, that's right, Libe that day. Okay has looked at recovering great varieties from the Middle Ages to be more resilient to global warming.
Speaker 3: Well, this is what you call about adapting right and figuring it out. And we've done.
Speaker 4: That throughout, you know, hundreds of years.
Speaker 6: Well, one person who helps brands figure out how to reach customers is Jessica Cogan. She's founder and CEO of HSP Brands. It's a marketing firm that works with beverage and alcohol companies. They work with brands such as Tito's New Belgium Brewing, Pernard, Racco, Diaggio and more. And she joins us here in the Bloomberg Studios. Welcome.
Speaker 1: Thank you guys for having me.
Speaker 3: Tell us about your company and tell us who you're talking with and like the trends. First of all, let's talk about the business environment because when it comes to wine, and I will say, we have a lot of folks in the newsroom, a lot are younger that don't drink alcohol anymore. So tell us about what you're seeing here.
Speaker 1: Not true, not true, Well, it's just not true. But first I just want to like broaden the lens here because that's really important to understand that the industry is in flux in the best possible way.
Speaker 4: You talk a lot about business here.
Speaker 1: Right now is the moment to be inside the industry because there's disruption.
Speaker 4: Disruption is huge.
Speaker 1: I'm going to throw it back to somebody that you know, we all know. It's totally different industry. Beauty nineteen forty six agreed. There was a woman who went out there stea water. How did you know?
Speaker 3: Because iconic, iconic, And what did she do?
Speaker 5: She gate?
Speaker 1: She sampled, She got people tasting. That's the difference. Right now. The way we need to think about adult beverage is sampling, getting people out there tasting products. The industry as a whole right now, those brands that lean into touching consumers, having meaningful in per conversations, those are the brands that are winning. Wine hasn't figured that out yet.
Speaker 3: Even though they do, like you know, all the wine stores in my neighborhood, you know, like you know, there's a night where it's like you can come in and sample. Is that what you're talking about or is it even something more aggressive?
Speaker 1: It's much more aggressive. It's actually national retail grocery. It is retail, big box, it's retail across the board. Any retailer that is selling adult beverage should be sampling in their aisles.
Speaker 3: Why.
Speaker 1: It's an opportunity. It's your biggest audience, we say in the industry, and you'll see on the CEO of Consolation was talking about we need to get back to consumers. We need to go to music festivals, We need to get people at the beach. You need to get people in the store. That's where they are and for them, it is a moment, it is an experience, and that is what adult beverage is about.
Speaker 6: What about social media though, because you say you have to go where the consumers are they're on Instagram. Yes, the regulations and rules about alcohol and influencers.
Speaker 1: Times, I mean, well not within When you're an influencer, you're an independent on you can really do whatever you want. But for example, like what we do is we actually because we're independent, we are not supplier, we are not retailer. We will put an invite out there to send consumers to their local grocery store that's within five miles of their store to come taste a wine that they wanted to taste, a Malibu RTD that they want to taste, a Cathamigos RTD they want to taste. You need to use the locations that are available to you, where consumers are at, where they're actively in the stores sampling.
Speaker 3: So when you do something like that, is it store by store basis or do you go to a retailer and I'm just going to throw you know, whether it's Whole Foods or like whatever, And do you make a deal to do it across their stores or does it have to be location specific where it makes sense?
Speaker 1: I mean for us, we aren't on the distributor side or the retailer side. We sit in the middle. And so we'll partner with the retailer working with the supplier. The supplier says to the retailer, thank you so much. I'm doing this program. I want to support it. With sampling. The thing is is that we.
Speaker 3: Do with food all the time.
Speaker 4: Like you think about a different food store, right, right.
Speaker 1: I mean think about beauty fashion food. How do you connect with a discretionary purchase?
Speaker 4: Right?
Speaker 3: I mean you have it at you know, I always think about you're right with beauty, look at the four the idea of you like you're playing with the stuff, and that leads to purchases, right.
Speaker 1: And So what I like to think of is when we're sampling in a physical store in a retailer, consumers are voting with their pocketbook.
Speaker 3: That was Jessica Cogan, founder and CEO of HSP Brands. And that wraps up the weekend edition of Bloomberg Business Week from Bloomberg Radio. Thank you so much for joining us. Be shorter tuned into Bloomberg Business Week daily Monday through Friday, starting at two pm Wall Street Time on Bloomberg Radio, Bloomberg TV, and on serious XM Channel one twenty one. You can also watch our daily broadcast on YouTube just search Bloomberg podcasts where simulcast on Bloomberg Originals, available on Bloomberg dot com, Slash Originals, and streaming platforms including Roku, Amazon, fireTV, Semsung tv Plus and more. Find our Bloomberg BusinessWeek podcast at Bloomberg dot com, Apple, or wherever you get your podcasts. This week, we featured also a conversation with Lucas Shaw, Bloomberg News Media and Entertainment Managing editor, on why Hollywood box offices are rebounding. You can find that on our podcast feed. Plus, the latest edition of the magazine is available on newstands now. Find Bloomberg BusinessWeek also at Bloomberg dot com and always on the Bloomberg terminal. I'm Carol Masser Tim. We'll be back next week. Have a good and safe weekend, everyone. Do stay with us. Today's top stories and global business headlines are coming up right now.