Speaker 1: Toss Popcorn is a production of iHeartRadio. Hi, I'm Sienna Jacob and who's this.
Speaker 2: It's me Leanna Holsten.
Speaker 1: Hello, and welcome to Toss Popcorn, the podcast where two idiots that's us watched every film on the AFI's one hundred Greatest American Movies of All Time, the very slightly Less Racist tenth Anniversary edition, and are now watching movies that are directed by women.
Speaker 2: This podcast is a safe field for people who don't know anything about movies. Today, we're watching a League of their Own. He's starting a girls baseball league so we can make a buck while the boys are overseas. Want to play? Huh? Nice retort?
Speaker 1: Tryouts are in Chicago.
Speaker 2: A classic tbh? Tbh?
Speaker 1: Yeah, where had you seen it before?
Speaker 2: No warning? There will be boilers about this, Hey, classic old film.
Speaker 1: Well, speaking of that, should we start with our predictions?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Had you seen it before?
Speaker 1: Well?
Speaker 2: I guess, let me find out, let me find out. I'm gonna find out. I'm finding out, Sienna, Could I please listen to your prediction?
Speaker 1: Yes, Hi, Leanna, this is Sienna.
Speaker 2: I'm about to watch a League of their Own.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I've seen this movie a long time ago. Because guess what. I played softball back in the day. Ye a big fan.
Speaker 2: Baseball can be pretty fun to watch, though it's also very long and boring.
Speaker 1: But it's not about baseball that we're talking about right now. We're talking about a League of their Own.
Speaker 2: Tom Hanks saying, there's no crying in baseball, Rosie.
Speaker 1: O'Donnell Madonna, Yes, yes, Geena.
Speaker 2: Davis of course. Wow. I remember a lot of the stuff about this movie, but I cannot remember anything that happened. No, no, Geena Davis is not a farm at softball, at baseball, and she goes to play because the men go to war. Question mark, mm hmm. Well, we'll just have to find out how much I actually remember. Okay, I love you, goodbye. You proceed to remember all two hours of the film.
Speaker 1: I guess I remembered it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that was it.
Speaker 1: There were still many surprises that came, but.
Speaker 2: I can see it. Geena Davis is on a farm.
Speaker 1: She's on a farm.
Speaker 2: It's just come to me, she's on a farm. Okay, Sienna, here's my prediction for a League of their Own. Hi, Sienna, it's Leanna. I'm about to watch what is it? A League of their Own? I predict baseball and a little bit gay and Tam Hanks and probably a bunch of hats okay, and like pigtails. But in the forties, is it the forties? There were a few? Is that the TV series version? You know what? I don't care love you bye?
Speaker 1: How did you know all that?
Speaker 2: Because it's a classic imagery, societal imagery totally. I guess I'd have to chalk that up to societal imagery.
Speaker 1: See, that's informative that there's enough Halloween.
Speaker 2: I didn't I did. I didn't watch the TV to the TV series when it came out. But again, a lot of imagery crossed my eyevaults, which I've been absorbed.
Speaker 1: My understanding is that that's just based it's just based on the movie.
Speaker 2: It's just a I think so mm hmm, but gayer. That's what I've heard, which is that's Justice presided to actually be gay. And there's a lot of there's one black character actually in it.
Speaker 1: There's a lot of long there's a lot of long term best friends in this movie. Yes, it's incredibly.
Speaker 2: White, lifelong best friends, but the witt of friends.
Speaker 1: And women who just like didn't get along with guys for the longest time.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it all felt weird that they didn't really like their husbands.
Speaker 1: Anyway. Well, Leonna, it's some time to talk about any of that yet, Hey girl.
Speaker 2: Nope, hey girl, girl. I I was confronted by a toddler yesterday.
Speaker 1: My gosh, please say more. I can't imagine you interacting with the toddler. Actually I can.
Speaker 2: I think. Okay, I was walking home from the bus from work in a dress. I was wearing a dress, sue me.
Speaker 1: Good for you.
Speaker 2: It's springtime time, so my legs were I got my gams out and I'm trying to get some color on them because I have the legs of a ghost right now. They've been away all winter. I round it. I walk through these little gardens between the bus stop and my flat to the garden of Nature. Mercifully. No, I still don't know where that is. I wouldn't know how to get there from the bus stop that I take that drops me off near ish to my flat. I turn into the garden and a toddler is there, and I say, well, that's not my ideal, uh, companion in a garden. The toddler clocks me and runs straight at me. My gosh, and then hugs my legs, your bear legs, my bare legs. Just they stick their face on my knee. I say hello, uh, I say out loud, oh hello, hello. Their their guardian is there and says, oh sorry, she she self soothes with with skin. She really likes skin. Oh no. I was like, hey, find a different phrase, money that's worn saying that, and then the parents said she loves knees, and I said what This toddler was just face on my knee for And I didn't know, obviously what to do, so I just patted the toddler on the head and I said, okay, girl, I gotta go home now, girl, bye girl. And then the parent was like ha ha ha, and the toddler kind of released my legs, and then the parent was like like, oh lolol nice legs. And I was like, oh, thanks girl, all right, by queens. I left, and I wandered further towards my home. Came in front of a guy who then was saying something to me. But I put my music back in, which of course was the soundtrack to Sinners, and the guy was saying something to me that I couldn't hear, so I took my headphone out and he was like, oh, slow down so she can catch you. And I was like, am I gonna have to run away from a toddler until I am in the comfort of my own home because the toddler needs to self soothe with the skin of my knees.
Speaker 1: This is so much to take in. So he told you to slow down because there was a toddler chasing you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you turned.
Speaker 1: Around and he was running after you, trying to feel your knee.
Speaker 2: Skin, trying to get face on knee again. Okay.
Speaker 1: Also, I'm so sorry that you were punished for wearing your bare legs outside, which is your right. And immediately they're like, sorry, this little monster loves skin.
Speaker 2: A local gremlin face planted directly onto my bare knees, so specific. It was really odd. But again it was a moment of me realizing, okay, and we are a touch starved populous. Yeah, and by we, I mean myself.
Speaker 1: Was there anything charming about it that you're like all a little a little child?
Speaker 2: I mean I didn't, they didn't bite, they had curly hair. I think I was really charming in the whole thing. The way I handled it was pretty angelic. It sounds lovely oh my god, speaking of angelic new Pope alert, new Pope, white, smoke white, smoke white. I got to see and the BBC notifications, and I said, new Pope Alert, new Pope.
Speaker 1: My brother had a funny comment where he said, he's like, it's tough when you're from a country where when you find out the pope is from your country, you go, oh no.
Speaker 2: That's exactly what I did. Yeah, we are, we are in a bad period of history for our nation.
Speaker 1: But besides that, girl, yes, girl, I reorganized my closet and it's now usable since I got to this since I got to this house, and it's been like a year and a half. I got a dresser at first, but it was a flop and there was this long rod in my closet the whole time, so I had to shove a dresser under it at first, so that was always awkward. And then I could put clothes on either side of the dresser. Yeah, it's very like deep on either side closet. It's like a very long closet horizontally mm hmm. But then I replaced that long rod with two short rods. Oh, I mean, Kelsey did it for me because because women's rights, women's rights, because a that is women's rights. Be He's just good at that spatial stuff. And he's like, I think it'd be better if you just had two short rods. And I'm like, that's impossible for me to do. He's like, I can just put him in. Just changing that long rod with two short rods has completely changed my life. WHOA I know where all my clothes are now because I can stack other things in here. Anyway, I'm very happy about it.
Speaker 2: It's dreamy baby, yes, yes, well, speaking of having one's life completely changed thanks to a man. Damn it, damn it, but you are right, Sienna. Could you please give us a synopsis of the film A Lade with their.
Speaker 1: Own speaking of men allowing for women's.
Speaker 2: Rights, allowing for it, the only way we can get them a league of their own. League of their Own is a story of the creation of a women's baseball team while the men are away in World War two. The end, that's getting ready to have a long, luxurious sip of water, and it's like I can really relax at that time.
Speaker 1: Okay, that is well, you can still drink the water as I take some more details. Oh, you are Okay, more details are Tom Hanks enters the scene. At some point they gather women for a league. Tom Hanks enters the scene as the manager. He's sort of a disgraced baseball star in his own right, or an old beloved baseball star who's now quite drunk and not excited about things or life, and this sort of wakes up his love of baseball. And the ladies get to play the sport they love professionally and they have to kind of they get the league going, and then they go, this league isn't doing so hot, and they're like, how could we make it better? And there's also a very funny aspect of the period, the period piece of it all, where these women also have to learn to be like charming and everything, and even though they don't say it, they're like, these are some girls who are extra boyish and don't have the same interests as the girls that we that we want them to be, which is to say they're gay. But okay, yeah, they all end up with men anyway in the flashback or the flash forward later where they're all like, and we all have husbands, so it worked, yeah, right, But the gay it is it's pretty much Uh, it's it's retro. It's retro promos and and ladies and women's Athleticism HM and Tom Hanks yelling.
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, okay. Time to grand slam into our phone notes the segment of the podcast where we take a look at the notes that the other person wrote on their phone while watching the film. Oh, Sienna, you've written. These movies really take their time. It's been thirty minutes and we aren't even off the train.
Speaker 1: I both love it. It's very I was thinking when this movie started. It's very much the time of what's his name? Who does all the then?
Speaker 2: Roberts? Oh, Hans Zimmer.
Speaker 1: I don't think that's who I'm thinking of.
Speaker 2: That's who did the music for this.
Speaker 1: That's okay, So he's the same, the same.
Speaker 2: Excuse me, no, excuse me. I'm so sorry. I'm sorry. I gave a correct answer. So I gave a correct answer, credit crediting and art. Wow, yes, sorry, I take it back into taking the correct bo Who is it again? To be a woman?
Speaker 1: No? No, no, who was it again?
Speaker 2: That's who I meant. No, that's fine. You wanted me to say John Williams, even though that's not who did the music. For the Flinn only does music for men's movies, this Flint Robert Zimmer, mister Zimmer, Yeah, Hans Zimmer.
Speaker 1: That's what I mean, So Hans Zimmer. But this kind of beautiful nineties cinema.
Speaker 2: God, yeah, how do you feel about it? You just I hated the music in this film. It's honestly one of my tragedy. That's that's okay. There were moments where the itch, there were.
Speaker 1: Moments where a scene was happening and I heard this very very uh sort of not melancholy was the word I'm thinking of. Melodramatically, Yeah, freakily sort of melodramatic. Uh sweep of music, yes, sweep uh. And I went and I literally at some time sometimes I literally thought the music was coming from somewhere else because it was so out of place.
Speaker 2: It was so anachronistic. In what was the scene where that woman finds out her husband died at the war and they were playing like the beginning of Honey I shrank the kids getting the male music.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's a mix of that and like war movie beautiful hopeful music, which is just but you know what era of movie you're getting when you hear this true that I have to commend them for. But another thing this movie, this era of movies does is they take their damn time, because yeah, my screenwriting roommate was telling me scripts were allowed to be one hundred and twenty pages back then, and now they have to be ninety pages as the standard, and which and.
Speaker 2: How are movies now so long? So long? Still?
Speaker 1: I don't know. I think it's because if you.
Speaker 2: Are are some of the ninety pages saying this scene has to take thirty minutes.
Speaker 1: And then thirty minutes happen. It's a great question.
Speaker 2: Beat in Princey's a thirty minute one. This is related, Sienna, you noted, oh you thought this movie wasn't going to have Tom Hanks, because one third of the movie has gone by with no Tom Hanks comes in so late.
Speaker 1: We were doing just fine without you, Leanna. I am going to read some of your notes, and I really I haven't asked you yet what you even think of the movie, And I'll be curious. Let's all guess based on things I've said that she's real.
Speaker 2: Okay, okay, oh.
Speaker 1: Wow, this is the nineties. If I had two boys, I would KMS roles for old women.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: True, I am a Yankee doodle dandy. I am a Yankee doodle boy.
Speaker 2: I am a Yankee doodle dan. I am I am a Yankee doodle boy. I believe we had to watch that. They mentioned the song over there, the war tune, and then I immediately started going and I couldn't stop throughout the film. I am a Yankee doodle dandy, I am a Yankee do boy. Oh it was I laughed so often in it that film over there.
Speaker 1: Gosh, okay, wait, two more notes, Leanna, you've said, not that that wasn't important.
Speaker 2: Over there there.
Speaker 1: Leanna, you've said an important time for high wasted pant, high wasted pant. Very true and so thank you so much. And you said, Sienna, I think you kind of look like Geena Davis. First of all, thank you so much. Second of all, she is my most consistent celebrity lookalike that people say to.
Speaker 2: Me, Oh, really, okay she is. Yeah.
Speaker 1: When I there was, yes, I hit a certain age where I think my.
Speaker 2: He became gorgeous.
Speaker 1: I was thinking that my jaw became very square shaped. Yeah, not square jaw bone, but like this shape of my face. I think we were still more shape face shape and my jaw set and I grew jaw muscles, and then everybody started saying I looked like Geena Davis.
Speaker 2: Yeah, totally, and you do. It was something about this, the face shape, very tall, the high waisted pant playing softball, and then she just moved her body and dressed herself in a way that you also do.
Speaker 1: That is so flattering. Thank you so much.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there were moments of the film where I noticed her moving her body. I'm like, that woman has such long limbs that she has to move through space in a way where.
Speaker 1: She's like she's suggesting thing. Yeah, she's an adjustment mode, and I think that's why she's I wonder if that's why she's such a great person.
Speaker 2: Oh is she? I didn't know she is? She is.
Speaker 1: She has the Geena Davis foundation.
Speaker 2: She's been like she's been standing up for marginalized people in films since like before. It was cool. Oh Slay's awesome and appears an mpath because she's always adjusting her body. Her limbs are so long.
Speaker 1: She also, I think had like twins when she was like fifty or something. She's an interesting lady.
Speaker 2: She's a cool It's just cool. Hmmm. Mm hmmm.
Speaker 1: She's had interesting experiences as just a gorgeous woman in Hollywood. I commend it.
Speaker 2: I am a Yankee doodle at, I am a Yankee doodle break. We'll be right back. That only represents this movie because of your specific break.
Speaker 1: No one else in the whole world.
Speaker 2: Over there, over there, over there my song bump that yo.
Speaker 1: Okay, Leanna, you said I can't believe Madonna is just in this.
Speaker 2: That was crazy to me. She was a delight That was Madonna. I know. I guess it's sort of like having Yeah, but at least with Ariana Grande. Now they're like, well she's gonna be Glinda, you know, They're like, she's gonna say she's like a pop playing a side character. This was just Madonna was just in this. Yeah. But we'll get to it later. I think they handled it well. Sienna. You wrote Tom Hanks loves to play a stinker.
Speaker 1: So Tom Hanks's I think we talked about before that he is somebody who in our cultural memory exists as a very delightful guy. And I think he is as a person, it seems, and you leave his films going, what a what a nice guy.
Speaker 2: But during the whole movie. He's like, I'm gonna kill you. Yeah, he sucked.
Speaker 1: He was guy sucked disgusting. There were moments of this movie where I was this guy. I could never seriously be an actor because the things they had him do that made him so Like when he comes on the screen, has to take a take, a take.
Speaker 2: A long piss for like five minutes, the women time to see if it's a record, and.
Speaker 1: Then at the end he has to like shake it out in a way that is so disgusting.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 1: The director's like, be a little grosser, Tom, shake it out, and that I would have to turn.
Speaker 2: I would have to step away and go I can't. I'm sorry, I'm sorry. I can't shake my wien on screen. I can't do that.
Speaker 1: I can't be this disrespectable character you want me to be. I know you're paying me to act different. I can't do it.
Speaker 2: I will not doing that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but uh, I commend them, but I just don't have it.
Speaker 2: I are we sure that Tom Hanks was good at acting?
Speaker 1: I also wonder this sometimes he's just so Tom Hanks. I don't know who it was who said this is Tom Hanks. Now we're taking this man who acts this way. He is going to be our man. This is why this is what acting is supposed to be. It's got a clownish edge. Oh it was so loud. I think he was the actor of the time because there were certain comedic beats of the time that existed so specifically then, like when he lays one on missus Cuntworth.
Speaker 2: What was her name? Again?
Speaker 1: That's what I kept hearing, and I was like, work, Yesina, what was it against? Did I tell you about when my friend.
Speaker 2: Was I asked this sleigh contiosity, as did I tell you about when I was telling I had talked about Kelsey to Urgent and he was.
Speaker 1: Like, what was your what was your partner's name?
Speaker 2: Again? I can't remember was it?
Speaker 1: It's not Cunter because he only remembered.
Speaker 2: The case an incredible name for a drag king. I was like, no, no, it's not Cunter. My boyfriend Gunter.
Speaker 1: I love that.
Speaker 2: That's the truth for you, though, because that's awesome for me. Oh that's my boyfriend Kunter. I just are you talking about when he spanked that woman? Well, he kept.
Speaker 1: Spanking her because he had on the bus. She came over to wake him up. He makes out with her. He goes hey, baby, gives her a big old kiss. You're like, ah, to a modern eye, it's very terrifying. And then he wakes up and he goes ah because he's horrified that he kissed this old maid. And then he has to swish whiskey around in his mouth like mouthwash, and the fear on his face is a clownish in a nineties way that they're like, we gotta we gotta see Tom Hanks going, oh, gross, I.
Speaker 2: Kissed the dog.
Speaker 1: So he's very good at that sort of performance, but that performance was so necessary in this era that maybe isn't as needed anymore, and so that's what they forced him to be a super nice guy now, where he's like, I'm mister Rogers and nothing, or I'm in that.
Speaker 2: I'm Sully. Yeah, I'm Sully. I'm Sully Sullenberger, I'm American hero, Sully Sullenberg, Sully Sullenberg. Yes, yeah, I hated him in this movie with so much of all of my being terrible person. He was awful, I wanted.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he was an old lech, he was moose.
Speaker 2: And you just knew he stank. Yeah, he said bad things. Yeah, and then and then and then at the end, we're supposed to be like god, I love them. Oh good, another season of him abusing women. Cool? Oh, Siana, you noted. So why aren't these guys at war? Leanna? Can you explain?
Speaker 1: Explain this? So you're you're you're resident war understander, especially in Gears in the past.
Speaker 2: As opposed to the Wars in the future. All the men, I do not know what's going to go on there. Don't ask me what's gonna happen. No. If I knew that the government would take me out to the ball.
Speaker 1: Okay, take me out to the SAMs. Wait, how does it go out back in the show?
Speaker 2: I think the guys, I think the show the theater. I think these guys were on leave or or every single one of them, like Tam Hanks, had no cartilage in their left knee. Yeah, okay, but I think most because a lot of them were in uniform, so I think they were just they're taking a break, so they're still horned up. Oh yeah, okay, oh yeah. Hello over the baby boom, do you do don't we recall? I do recall. I do recall Baby's boom.
Speaker 1: It had an effect on our world today. You know what I was thinking when hurt.
Speaker 2: This is such a this is I'm so sorry that I'm having this observation in my late twenties.
Speaker 1: Okay, for the first time. Her husband returns from war.
Speaker 2: Mm hmmm, her husband, Bill Pullman.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Bill Pullman.
Speaker 2: Hello.
Speaker 1: By the way, his son, his son is very Pullman.
Speaker 2: His son No, oh wait, what are you talking about Bill Pullman's son. Yeah, Lewis Pullman. Who's Lewis Bill Pullman?
Speaker 1: Jack Pullman is very very popular in the puppet community. No, he's a he's a very fun puppeteer. Oh my god.
Speaker 2: And Marvel Film really yeah, wow, they went different ways.
Speaker 1: So Bill Pullman will be at uh, will be at puppet events sometimes because he and his girlfriend wear like costumes too, just for fun, like to regular social events, like they'll be dressed like nights.
Speaker 2: Cool. Yeah, it's just it's more, it's just like they really went two separate directions with the suns. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, Leanna, you said the ugly ones facial expressions are amazing.
Speaker 2: Marlaw, Yes, and you noted. I love Marlaw.
Speaker 1: I loved her.
Speaker 2: I loved her.
Speaker 1: They always have to have a character where they're like ooh, and they just make her go. They make her but her face was so funny.
Speaker 2: Did you know she's in Robin Hood men in tights. No, she's brune Hilda.
Speaker 1: Wow, I haven't seen that in forever.
Speaker 2: I hadn't either, but as soon as I saw a photo of her in it, I said, that's how I know her. She is so funny facial expressions when she the woman's like nurse maid.
Speaker 1: That's so funny. When they're looking for where she is and then we turn and turns out the singing has been sung by Barla the whole time. I loved her.
Speaker 2: I love this movie is all the Power of Hair, by the way, because the yeah, that's like gay and then they're.
Speaker 1: Like, well, let's just do their hair. We'll make them make away all their natural coolness and m hm, late Lehanna. I also thought about this during the movie. You said, he Tom Hanks is playing this character like it's Woody from Toy Story.
Speaker 2: I also, I was like, this is Woody. He was being so human man. Yeah, I think he got the voice for Woody from playing this role and realized, oh, I was playing a toy, an animated toy character who has to rally people and get mad, but as the body of a man. So it really didn't work in this and it was great in toy story. But you gotta know what genre you're in and that you are on screen yelling, yelling, we can see you, hear you.
Speaker 1: Oh, Leanna, this is a great point.
Speaker 2: You said.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, no one at this time had a sports bra. Oh you're so right. There's no way they would have taken into consideration, first of all, when it's comfort. Also, I am I don't even know when that became a common practice common.
Speaker 2: Plupart support for the Gorls. That's insane and it was so much running.
Speaker 1: Oh sorry, I missed a Bill Pullman note Leanna, who said Bill Pullman clapped my cheeks enough for me to return to the World Series.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I guess she's kind of like, yeah, we started driving and then I just say I came back.
Speaker 2: Yeah, she says, we made it to Yellowstone and then I don't know what. They turned around, and I really think it's like, Okay, I think we've had enough sex. I feel satiated enough for the for the time being, and I can go back for the last World Series game. Thank you, Bill Pullman. Bill Pullman, Bill Pullmans Bill pull so sufficiently that I can once again watch go catch Balls. He's watched Kelsey do a puppet show before Kelsey performed a Little Chicken puppet show and Bill Pullman showed up. How did Bill Pullman feel about it? Don't do we know?
Speaker 1: I didn't ask you.
Speaker 2: Gotta get eyes on Bill, Bill, He's just an institution.
Speaker 1: He is an institution.
Speaker 2: He really represents our societies in the fabric of our nation.
Speaker 1: Leanni said, Okay, apparently these are actual old women.
Speaker 2: Oh my god. Okay, Eliza and I went on a real damn journey with these old women. So the beginning of the movie, it's the nineties and these old women are going to the opening of the Baseball Hall of Fame sligh love because they played in the league. And then we flashed back to the past and I was like, oh my god. Oh. And then at the very end we go back to the future and it's all the old ladies again, and I was like, wait a second, this is just Geena Davis, Madonna and Rosie O'Donnell in old lady makeup.
Speaker 1: H huh.
Speaker 2: But it's not.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think Gena Davis is aging.
Speaker 2: No we googled it. We googled it thoroughly. What this is? What? I was such a roller coaster because in the beginning I was like, oh my god, rolls for women over sixty love that. And then I was like, oh, this sucks so much because they've just put these gorgeous young women into old lady makeup. And then I was like, wait, no, it is old ladies who are still gorgeous. By the way, Okay, I thought so much like her.
Speaker 1: I thought it was an aged up Gena Davis with the most amazing aging makeup I've ever seen. That's also what I saw, and that the rest were cast. But then every but then I was like, maybe here and there they aged somebody up. They did such an amazing job of casting this.
Speaker 2: This is where I'm like, in so many ways, the modern day is terrible because we used to for films, have to actually do a good job of casting people, and nowadays we would just use shitty CGI to age the actor up and have them play the old version of themselves. It's putting old people out of work, which you know, my stance on old people working, I think they need to be I get till the very end, I yess, so keep them in the in the workforce as long as possible.
Speaker 1: Wow, she looks so much like an aged Geena Davis. That's an amazing casting decision, I know.
Speaker 2: And then we saw a photo of that actress when she was young, and wow, wow, wie wow, I'm looking at it right now, Lynn Cartwright, are you a woga?
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's amazing.
Speaker 2: It was so I was. I was shocked.
Speaker 1: That's one of my badges, is the casting they did.
Speaker 2: But wow, well, we'll get into badges really quickly. But Siena, I have to talk about this note. You didn't bowld it, but we must discuss you've written does anybody have any extra hose? But you've spelled hose h o s. Yeah, that's how I thought it was spelled at first, A panty hose and a panty hose. And you caught me because I even thought about it for quite.
Speaker 1: Some time after. I was like, people always say, do you have any hoes? But it's weird that panty hose would be panty hose has to be plural of something.
Speaker 2: Wait, let's go back to people always say do you have any hoes? What? I don't know.
Speaker 1: My mom says that where are you? Or you know, I've seen a number of retro movies.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 1: Do you remember that person who kept saying that though no there Actually I was like, I'm not gonna I know, I'm not gonna be able to remember it later. But I think they had sort of like what would it sound like to say, in like a Midwest accent? Does anybody have any panty hose? Does anybody have any hose? Does anyone have any panty hose? I think it was like supposed to be the Canadian one kind of does anybody have any hose? Does anybody have any panty hose? It was really funny.
Speaker 2: That's me on a night out. Anybody have any extra hose? Could I have one?
Speaker 1: Lee?
Speaker 2: May I have one? How? May I have a howl panty hose?
Speaker 1: Leoni? Your final note is work AA GPB L man.
Speaker 2: That acronym does not roll off the tongue. All American Girls Professional Baseball League? Why girls? Bag? Pebool?
Speaker 1: Why girls? Why not women?
Speaker 2: Oh?
Speaker 1: Baby?
Speaker 2: Yeah? See, I know. Let's get into our badges and trages where we award badges for baseball and trages for Tom Hanks yelling about baseball.
Speaker 1: There's no crying in baseball.
Speaker 2: I love your Tom Hanks impression.
Speaker 1: Thanks. I stole it from my brother who just screamed, okay, are you an incredibly tall woman. You must be an mpath We'll be right back. My first badge is for sisters. I went on a movie about sisters.
Speaker 2: And then those sisters did not get along like at all. I was waiting for them to be, like, we fight, but we love each other.
Speaker 1: They kind of didn't. But that's for tragics.
Speaker 2: Yeah, first badge of sisters as a vibe badge for will Lammette, Oregon, nineteen forty three. Thank you, thank you for a title card. Thank you badge for that.
Speaker 1: Cannot be the second badge I gave my second badges. Does anyone have any extra hoes?
Speaker 2: No? Well, I guess okay. Oh, I gotta give a badge for John Lovett's He stole the show at the beginning of this week.
Speaker 1: He was really funny. I kept going, I just I'm all funny. I'll give a badge for him too. Watching him, I was just like, some people just have it.
Speaker 2: He's got it. All of his lines are gonna be my should you watch my how to Pretend? Segment? Oh? My god, he was so funny.
Speaker 1: It's just naturally just wow. I was cracking up. I was watching it with my roomates quote unquote, but they were all on their laptops, so I was just sitting watching it, and I kept going.
Speaker 2: A badge for messy hair. At the first game, the softball game. At the beginning, all the gurlies hairs are messy. I said, thank you, cinema, very tay.
Speaker 1: I have a badge for the athleticism, similar to last week. I just loved watching It was really fun watching these girls just hit after hit.
Speaker 2: Right. He made baseball look very easy. Okay.
Speaker 1: One of the reasons I could never do softball long term is because eventually they'd make you slide a lot. And sliding is actually a very complex physical feat m because you're running and you have to suddenly get low and go backwards or get low and go forwards. And I could never get my body to do it. I remember, Yeah, I think you'll understand what I mean when I say there was a day in high school and so I don't know how I managed to like not do this. There was a day at practice where I was told to where our coach made us all line up and practice sliding, and it was I remember just being like, I am in a nightmare because I don't know how I'm gonna do that. I'm going to get up there and my body's not gonna get low, like.
Speaker 2: I don't know, I don't know. I think I have a better understand floor.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna get out there and my body's not gonna get down. She's not gonna get loh. I yeah, I think I have a better understanding of my body now. At the time, a gawky high schooler, I'm like, I'm tall. I can't just get down on the ground.
Speaker 2: I don't know. We are way too high off the I use your knees?
Speaker 1: Do I use my arms? Do we What are we supposed to use?
Speaker 2: I think you're supposed to use either of the four, but.
Speaker 1: I didn't have access to that at the time. I only recently discovered I had one.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, what were you using instead? Was it your head backsterings my back and my handy back my back?
Speaker 1: Not my hammies anyway, I'm just not in my hammy.
Speaker 2: It's a horror show.
Speaker 1: So yeah, I tried to discuss that I needed to discuss that trauma at some point.
Speaker 2: Oh, a badge for acknowledging it is Madonna. And that is in reference to the scene where she comes out of the confessional and then the pastor what is he the priest? The priest. The priest also comes out, but he's sweating, and then Madonna crosses herself and winks at the two boys who were staring at her, and I said, thank you, Madonna. That's Madonna. It's Madonna, you guys.
Speaker 1: I have a badge for the fans. I thought it was really cute. Once there are fans are like number twenty two.
Speaker 2: Yeah, do we love you? Uh huh. A badge honestly for that sick sigh bruise. Oh yeah that woman gets from the slide.
Speaker 1: Uh huh.
Speaker 2: I said, yes, little as hell.
Speaker 1: Badge for.
Speaker 2: Has anyone seen my red hat? That's my next batch. Yeah, that was common Eliza and I left so hard at that because the two sisters are arguing and then there's an awkward silence, and then this woman comes in and goes, has anyone seen my new red friend?
Speaker 1: She's so happy about it. Has anyone seen my new red hat?
Speaker 2: I want that woman to get an award. I don't know what for just best line reading in a film, the whole movie worth it. Oh my god, it was so funny. Has anyone seen my new red hat?
Speaker 1: My next note is for Rosie and her dad. I loved when her dad came in and he's just like, Rosie, Oh that's.
Speaker 2: Who that was. Yeah, He's like, I'm gonna take buy her a steak dinner. I'm gonna I'm gonna buy my daughter a steak dinner. And then later they're hanging out by the bus and she's like, Dad, we're gonna get steak badge for newspaper montages to show us how the world series is going. Thank you.
Speaker 1: That was cute badge for the extremely well cast older versions of themselves. I mean that has to get like three badges. It's really impressive. You are you're going to double take.
Speaker 2: I've got a badge for these old ladies, and it's a layered badge where it's like super great casting roles for women over sixty in a film. And the footage in the credits where the old ladies were playing baseball made me wonder if those were actually women who'd been in the league in the forties. Oh yeah, in which case, Slay Mama's sleay. Yeah.
Speaker 1: And then finally a badge for just a movie about the history and it's by woman and and I love baseball. Yeah, I love baseball from this perspective, especially where we get to see them do some baseball plays. But it's all really just the best parts and you don't have to wait the whole time. Baseball is too long, and they're the Girlina's the Girlina's My final badge is a badge for no love story between Gina and Tam Honks. Yeah, that's true.
Speaker 2: I liked that they had kind of like a working respect between the two of them, but she had to go get her cheeks clapped by Bill Pulman because it was the nineties, because it was the nineties. Tragis tragic.
Speaker 1: Main trage for this film is that, Yeah, Gina Davis kind of her character kind of flops.
Speaker 2: A number of times. I don't know, I think that's a great point. But she.
Speaker 1: You're never really clear on what she wants. Like sometimes people ask here, like why do do you want to be here? But she doesn't really answer it. She's like, no, I want to have kids, and it's like do you. Because people also pointed out that you love to be here, And maybe it's supposed to be nuanced in that way where she's like, no, I do. I have a plan to have my family, and that's what I've decided I want. Even though I enjoy this, I don't need it to be my life, you know, like she really she's the best in the league and she just doesn't want to do it for as long as everyone Yeah, but yeah. And then also later when Tom Hanks is like, does your husband know how good you are? She's like, how good am I? He's like, you got to know you're the best in the league. She's like, oh, I don't know, like you would know. Just be the best and do it. But it sort of this melancholy like the plight of women, even when you have it in your grasp. You've been, you've you've already you're given the option to have another life. But you're like, I'm gonna go. I think I should just go start a family, which is also her right and okay, but it was kind of it was it was a bummer mm hmm, bummed me out.
Speaker 2: Trage for the font that the movie title was in at the beginning, I could not read that. I could I really couldn't even see it.
Speaker 1: I don't remember, not at all.
Speaker 2: Oh, it was two different fonts and both were terrible.
Speaker 1: Trag for the sisters. Don't actually they're not. It's it's beyond just like fun rivalry and we love each other.
Speaker 2: To the point that like I was like, Kid's gonna kill herself.
Speaker 1: I think they really, Yeah, Kit hated her sister and her life and her life. And then later when.
Speaker 2: They fairness, Kid's whole family hated her. Yeah, it's like, no, wonder you went out again. It was kind of a bummer.
Speaker 1: It wasn't really like how sisters are I think, but you know, maybe some.
Speaker 2: Trage for whatever. This song is the song at the very beginning when they're driving and it's it's aerial footage of them. Oh god, it was so early nineties, still being haunted by the memory of the nineteen eighties, bad bad, bad music.
Speaker 1: Trag for these are historical trages now. I love that they show them. Yeah, but tragural first of all, very very white.
Speaker 2: Of course, that's my next trash trade for inherently white.
Speaker 1: I'm sure that's how it was at the time. And they do have a shot where they're like a black woman throw us a ball, and that's kind of I think what that was kind of doing was like we're reference were acknowledging the fact that this is coming in the future and that the years, like women of color aren't included in this history at this time, even though they should be.
Speaker 2: You know, Eliza's theory was that was the director's way of getting that in against the studio's wishes.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's a good that's an interesting thought. Yeah, it did. At first, I was like, oh, this is so nineties in like eye roll, and it is. But also I'm like, I guess at the time, this is like they're one way of saying like, hey, remember that there are also other women who we don't see right now in this historical whatever. So that's that's kind of cool in its in its limited way, because it felt it did feel really like okay, but they were not women of color, weren't allowed on this team and then or would just never ever be included in something where they wanted to make a lot of money, and then the history of the Purity is like so creepy. In the song they're like little song that they sing to commemorate everything, there's a that's like our chaperones are wonderful because girls are supposed to be just like watched over and kept so pure and they're not allowed to go out with men and they're not allowed you know. It's just like, Yeah, it was just so creepy that that was a part of the culture that even in the song they want to make people so comfortable that they're so happy that they're being chaperone. That was just so creepy, because I'm sure that's the real song.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Oh, a trage for I'm sorry I hate Tom Hanks in this He's horrible. Oh, a horrible guy. There was nothing likable about this character or the way that he was played. He was me, what the hell.
Speaker 1: Was that he was drunk? He was like, I'm not going to drink, and then he drank a lot and was horrible.
Speaker 2: Ugh, those are all my trages, my final two trages, or are a trage for I'm sorry, I hate it. I was not down with Kit's whole vibe. I was like, girl, you have a lot of work that you need to do by yourself. Yeah, because we're making it everyone else's problem and it really is your own insecurities.
Speaker 1: They didn't really hug and love each other until they.
Speaker 2: Were very old ninety Yeah, and that my final trage is a trage that Kit had a thousand children like she was a sports stars. But yeah, it is like what that's what Geena Davis's character wanted. It should have been the reverse, like she should have been swimming in children and grandchildren. That's like the life she said she wanted, which I guess.
Speaker 1: Was kind of like the surprise, but it's also like, yeah, so Davis just waste her life to have two boys.
Speaker 2: No, she had one daughter who then had two. It's even worse.
Speaker 1: Hey, at least she had a daughter. That's kind of nice. I guess Gilmore girls. But there's a guy there, her dad, William. Should we move on to our next segment, yes, which is, of course, how to pretend you've seen this film. This is before you were in the dugout. You're about to go crack the bat, hit some hit, some hit some balls and uh was Tom Hanks's name?
Speaker 2: Oh my god, I don't even know. Whenever he was on screen, I said, Jimmy dugg In, Okay, dugan Jimmy.
Speaker 1: Jimmy wanders into the dugout. He says, oh, hey, I was just watching the game and thought I'd come over here give you some tips and go what no, no, no, no no. I'm just here playing with my friends on my company softball team. And he goes, no, no, no, I have some tips for you. Boy, oh boy, oh boy. Actually this reminds me of a film with I think you'd like it because there's a lot of girls in it. It's the time they tried to make a women's baseball team, and you go, they have softball leagues out there's very popular, very very popular. Many first because no, no, no, no, this is the one time they tried it and they stopped doing it after that. And I'm going to tell you all about that movie.
Speaker 2: And in order to strike Jimmy out of this conversation, we're gonna give you a few sentences you can say to pretend you've seen the film A League of their Own. Yes, Jimmy, I've seen A League of their Own. And I turned my back on him and the rest of the crew that he's slunk up to me with, and I say, so long, old maids, John Love dresses.
Speaker 1: The two sisters being made funny. This is very interesting on many levels. Yes, Jimmy, I have seen the film A League of their Own. During filming of the World Series Games, stars took turns entertaining the unpaid extras, so the extras were paid for being in the in the crowds. But there were so many stars. Tom Hanks did puppet shows over the dugout. Tom did puppet shows, of course, he did. Rosie o'donald did stand up comedy, and various actors pretended to be Madonna and sang her songs after she said she wouldn't do that.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, Wow, that's perfect. That's perfect for all parties involved, especially Madonna.
Speaker 1: That's really cute and funny.
Speaker 2: Oh, Jimmy, you must stop talking about film like it's your job. You know, if I had your job, I'd kill myself. Nuggets of gold from John Lovitz's character.
Speaker 1: Uh, yes, Jimmy, I have seen the film A League of their Own. If it wasn't clear already, this was based on true events. The storyline was inspired by the career of baseball legend Dottie Collins. Dottie during World War Two, she played for the All American Girls Professional Baseball League and pitched seventeen shutouts during her six year career. So I guess she played for longer. It's interesting that they made her choose family.
Speaker 2: Well, it was nineteen ninety two.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I just don't It's hard for me to understand what they were making the statement about.
Speaker 2: But anyway, yeah, so I was hot off the Reagan years of family values. Right, it was very little for women to do in the nation's eye.
Speaker 1: But anyway, let it be remembered that women have been amazing at sports forever. We just didn't see it for a long time.
Speaker 2: Yes, Jimmy, shut up. I'm using my time in front of you to retroactively insert another badge that I have for the film, which is when the owner or financier of the Peaches comments on the crowd and says, look at them. Wait, where is it? Comments on the crowd's enthusiasm, saying dead jumping deaar hopping this Chicago man, dad jumping loved So go away, Jimmy, And of course it's been a thin slice of heaven good bye.
Speaker 1: Everything he said was so funny.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, honestly, dream role. You're in the movie for the first like maybe thirty minutes. As you mentioned, you steal the whole film, and then you leave. You're done.
Speaker 1: Oh my god. Wait, people really hurt themselves filming this movie. Oh, I believe that the bruise was real.
Speaker 2: Oh work, at.
Speaker 1: Least they were like, let's put it in the movie.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because this is the I just looked it up.
Speaker 1: To make sure it was. That's insane, that's awesome, that's so crazy. The Uh yes, Jimmy, I've seen the film. I've seen the film. A leave of their own. People really hurt themselves while doing this movie. The strawberry bruise that Renee Coleman received, that big bruise in that scene was real, and she was uh, it was on her thigh for almost for over a year. There was a remain. There were some amazings of the bruise. And then somebody else, Anne Ramsey broke her nose with a baseball mit trying to catch a ball. I mean it was a very very physical movie. Yeah, yes, okay, Wait, one last one, last piece of trivia. John Lovetz was so into one scene that he didn't notice a cow giving birth off camera while filming kind of a piece of trivia.
Speaker 2: Is that? Oh my god, Oh god, he's got my dream life. He's he's stealing the show. He's so funny he is, he's getting paid to be funny, and he's not seeing a cow give birth.
Speaker 1: He's you vibe.
Speaker 2: I want all of that for myself.
Speaker 1: In wandering in and just having funny, funny uh quips.
Speaker 2: If I had your job, I'd kill nice. I can't believe he was allowed to say that in nineteen ninety two. Okay, here's some other facts on John lovetz Is. He found out that Madonna had checked into their hotel under a pseudonym because he was obviously so famous at the time, and so then he was like, I want to do a pseudonym too, so he registered under the name Edna.
Speaker 1: Pooha, do you do.
Speaker 2: So stupid? Yes? Don okay, Moleana.
Speaker 1: Shall we move on to our next segment, which is, of course, should you watch this or where we tell you if you should watch the movie or spend your time spend your innings doing something else. Leanna, what do you think?
Speaker 2: Oh? Oh man, this is a tough one because I hated Tom Hanks his performance in this so much that I really think it made me not really enjoy the film. So I would say, maybe instead you could watch the TV series version of A Give their Own Love, because it's more gay, and they they actually gave a speaking.
Speaker 1: Role to a black person, Like, she doesn't say anything, she throws the ball and nods solemnly.
Speaker 2: But I haven't actually watched it, so I can't vouch for that. If it's bad, it's not my fault. But I don't think it's bad. I think it got very good reviews. Yeah, I want to see you know, what would you say?
Speaker 1: Also, I found out my roommate made the graphic of the title oh that you find on So Catherine, Oh my god, who's gay?
Speaker 2: See what I mean? Much more gay than the movie.
Speaker 1: It's honestly true already.
Speaker 2: Isn't that cool? Though?
Speaker 1: She was like, oh, who made the who made the title for that? And I was like, wait, who did make make up for that's?
Speaker 2: What? What the hell? That's crazy?
Speaker 1: Say Catherine, I would say, I think this movie was a fun time. If you're trying to watch a really nineties film. It was directed by a woman, and there's it's all about female athleticism, and it really is fun mm hmm.
Speaker 2: It's about an interesting historical fact.
Speaker 1: It was a lot more. It was even cuter than I remembered it being. So Oh, I like enjoyed it more than I even thought I would. I thought it was gonna be more kind of boring and lame.
Speaker 2: But that's nice.
Speaker 1: You could also watch Jeena Davis and anything else. You would go on Geena Davis's Instagram and see all the people that.
Speaker 2: She Sorry what I just made myself laugh.
Speaker 1: You could uh go watch Geena Davis.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 1: Or you could go look at Geena Davis's foundation and see all the cool stuff she does and go look at the people that she supports. Or you could watch stort Little, which she is a tall queen as well. Of course stort Little's big.
Speaker 2: Mom Oh my god, it is a tall family.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I think that's part of the joke, is that they get like the.
Speaker 2: Tall Yeah, the littles right, little high little hell.
Speaker 1: She's so tall, she's six feet tall.
Speaker 2: What she's six feet tall? This woman is so important, she's huge, She's enormous. She's huge. Well, Leontima of their own. I I would give a league of their own. Man, I'm sorry. Two point five Bill Pullman's out of five. I didn't really care about that. I you know, I think I love the story. I think the story is very cool, albeit white, white I think. I think Gina Davis is so beautiful, and I loved a lot of the actors in it. I thought Madonna Slade, oh my god, and of course Marla as well. But man Tom Hanks was so overbearing in it and so fucking loud and awful, and the music sucked, and it was so nineties. And that scene where the postman delivers news of one of the women's husbands dying with absolutely like sociopath levels of that made me no emotion. That made me laugh. Oh my god, I haven't read as many war novels as you. He came in and he was I know, somebody's shoot, I have to do this delivering of people. Name your husband's insane.
Speaker 1: I can't find the name.
Speaker 2: It was nuts. See, I know, what would you rate the film?
Speaker 1: I would give this film. I think I'm gonna give it three point eight uh Cracks of the Bat out of five. I actually really enjoyed it. It was even cuter than I remember. It's like, I think it'd be a fun film to watch with the family, Like I'd sit down and watch it with my fam and have a good time. It's from the time of the nineties where not only is it white. But there's like a lot of just little implicit jokes about like someone that are ugly and some aren't yep, and like sexual harass me. Yeah, like.
Speaker 2: Slapping the woman's butt a bunch, like the kind of serious manager woman and it's like, oh, but she.
Speaker 1: Loves it because she's never gets to let loose. And it's and then like there's a few women that are like there's uh, there's a few fat women in it that they like only use as a joke and not in a really explicit way. But I'm like, I don't, like, I know that you're not. I know that you're like here are the beautiful women. And even though we're making jokes about like ooh she's ugly and obviously nobody was, it just is like I know that you actually do. At this era, it's when they thought everyone was fat and that that was bad. Just like yeah, it's sickening, so yep, you can feel that. But besides that, it was actually quick, that's it's not You can also tell that it's directed by a woman because m I will say that wasn't the major feeling to me. It's just like there are certain it bums me out when there's like, oh, we have to include this, like someone's there make out with the with the old man. Yeah yeah, but you got to see women being so sporty and it's yeah fun. Maybe I want to go to the batting cages.
Speaker 2: Wow, I'd love to see you in a batting cage.
Speaker 1: Yes, well, everybody.
Speaker 2: Thanks everybody that's been our damn review of a league of their own. Thank you all for tuning in. We are Tossed Popcorn. We're on Instagram at tossed Popcorn. We're on Patreon at patreon dot com slash toss Popcorn. We're in real life as Leanna and Sienna. We're also on Instagram at Leon Wilson at Sienna Jacob. We are gonna be back next week. Okay, so join us when we'll be.
Speaker 1: Watching the Parent Trap.
Speaker 2: Huhh. Thank you, We love you, bye bye.
Speaker 1: You can find us on Instagram as at Sienna Jaco and at Leona Holsten. Please check the description for the spelling of our dumb names. We put out episodes every Tuesday, so make sure to subscribe so that you don't miss an episode. See you next week on Tossed Popcorn. For more podcasts from My Heart radio check the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 2: I've been seeing Yank Pope a lot on my news. Are you enjoying this? No, this is a Yankee pope, Yank Pope. It's so funny that our pop's from Chicago. Deep Dish,