Speaker 1: Pushkin too quick.
Speaker 2: No, it was perfect, pushkin stop, you got it.
Speaker 3: Jacob Goldstein, I want to tell you a story about two brothers from Georgia. One was a goofy looking peanut farmer. The other one also a little goofy looking, also peanut farmer, also the President of the United States of America, Jimmy Carter and Billy Carter. They looked similar, Billy and Jimmy, but their temperaments were different. Jimmy Carter, the President was sober, both in the sense that he rarely drank, but also in the sense that he had pretty strong religious views. He felt that if you looked at a woman who was not your wife with lust in your heart, this was actually a form of adultery. His brother, Billy, loved drinking, loved beers, and he would drink them with this unquenchable thirst. And he judged the nineteen seventy seven Miss Piggy's Pizza Beauty pageant. I'm going to argue that Billy and his brother, the President were essential to an important moment in business history, specifically the history of the beer industry in the United States of America. Between the two of them, they were responsible for possibly the very lowest point in American beer history, which we will tell you about, and eventually the birth of the fantastic American craft beers we have today. It's a fall and rise story, and surprisingly it is the teetotaling president, not the drunkard, who saves the great American Bruski. I'm Robert Smith.
Speaker 4: Have you ever said Bruski before in your life?
Speaker 1: I have never said brusky before?
Speaker 4: In this business history A show about the history of beerness, no show about the history of business.
Speaker 1: No, do it, do it, do it. We're going do it all the way.
Speaker 3: This story answers some questions that I have always had about beer. How did a nation of immigrants, each of which brought delicious beers with them, create an American beer industry that, at least in the sixties, seventies, and eighties served bland, watery swill. And how did craft beers finally break that curse? And the answer this is going to delight you is tax policy and regulation.
Speaker 4: It does delight me, the two most powerful forces in the universe.
Speaker 3: I was a kid during this era and the news just loved stories about Billy Carter. And maybe it was because Jimmy was a goodie two shoes. But Billy, Oh. People would tell these stories about the president's brother is a redneck, he's a good old boy, and Billy Carter embraced those terms. Jimmy Carter's route to the presidency was a classic one. He left the small town of Plains, Georgia as soon as he could to attend the Naval Academy. He joined America's nuclear submarine fleet, and when his father died, he went back to run the family business, the family peanut farm. Billy, twelve years younger than Jimmy. Billy flunked out of university. He left a four thousand dollars beer tab behind. A lot of beer, was a lot of drinking. He ended up working and managing the peanut farm. But he was smart. Billy Carter was smart. He was a voracious reader. He did a great job of running the peanut farm. But he did find that the drunken, good old boy shtick was effective in the peanut business. He once told a reporter, I got a redneck white sox and blue ribbon beer.
Speaker 4: Blue ribbon beer like PBR, like Pabst, blue ribbon.
Speaker 3: Paps, blue ribbon. He would roll up to farmers and peanut buyers in his pickup truck with an open perhaps blue ribbon, driving while drinking between his knees, and the customers just loved it.
Speaker 4: So in nineteen it was like a business show. He was like a salesman selling this character of Billy Carter to some extent.
Speaker 3: Yeah, of this southern farmer you know who loved America, loved his beer, and.
Speaker 4: He's a good time. You're happy if you're in business with him and he shows up, you know it's going to be a good time.
Speaker 1: I think it still works in business to this day.
Speaker 3: Like you were not unhappy when Billy Carter rolled up with a six pack of PBR. In nineteen seventy two, Jimmy Carter was governor of Georgia and Billy Carter also made his big career jump. So he was living at this time planes Georgia in a dry county, meaning they couldn't sell alcohol. You could find alcohol, but they didn't officially sell alcohol in the county. So Billy Carter joins the town council for the sole reason of voting to allow alcohol sales in the county, and once that vote went through, he resigned from the town council. About the only gas station in town and Plains, Georgia. And he put up a big beer sign and said, we are selling beer, which I helped legalize. Here at the only gas station in Plains, Georgia, and it became this community hub for the city. With Billy holding court, why don't you give me his quote?
Speaker 4: We were a beer joint that sold gas as a sideline. I probably drank or gave away more beer than I sold. That second part is the is the trick right. It's great if your business is selling beer. Good classic business, giving the beer away that's going to hurts you in the end, and drinking it also.
Speaker 3: Now at this point, I want to leave the Carter Brothers for a moment, and I want to follow the beer itself, the Paps blue ribbon, because, unbeknownst to Billy's belly, Paps is a perfect way to tell the story of how beer got to America and how it got so bad. We're going to flash back now one hundred and thirty years to eighteen forty four.
Speaker 4: I'm there, I'm ready. I love the eighteen hundreds in business history, as you know, my favorite business history century.
Speaker 3: So since this is a beer store, you know it's going to feature Germans. Eighteen forty four, a lot of Germans are coming to America, including Jacob Best, who starts the Empire Brewery in Milwaukee, Wisconsin. Now, in this era of German migration, they brought a new style of beer. They brew a beer it's all cloudy, has all this stuff in it, and they would store it somewhere cold, like in a cool cellar, and the stuff inside the beer would sort of drop down to the bottom. And Jacob, do you know what store away is in German? No, no, no, it's Lagern, where we get the term lagger. So this is the beer that the Germans have brought to America and this new process. And after the lagurn process, you had a clear, mellow beer that stayed fresh longer than other ales. And the timing of Jacob Best was impeccable because soon after the reopened came the Great Lagger Drought of eighteen fifty four. No put it on the calendar. It's like a bank panic, But for beer, I knew all the bank panics. I did not know about the Great Lagger Drought of eighteen fifty four. It had apparently been a hot summer. There's all this newly arrived German population in Saint Louis and Chicago, and they drank the city's dry. The Chicago Journal wrote about.
Speaker 4: This here give it to us, Jacob, Germans disconsolate and haggard wander from hall to hall, and as yet there.
Speaker 1: Is no beer.
Speaker 4: Something must be done. A newspaper loves nothing more than to say something must be done.
Speaker 3: The problem was that most lagger at this point was sold within a mile or two of where it was brewed. Number one, it's heavy, so it's expensive to move. But number two, it's because once the beer gets warm, it starts to go bad. But luckily for Jacob Best, this is the beginning of the age of the cold shp So you had ice, you had railroads, you had shipping, you had a way to transport beer.
Speaker 4: So call back to our ice king show. Of course, right around this time mid eighteen hundred's kind of early to mid eighteen hundreds, they're they're industrializing ice before they have refrigeration. They're cutting it out of frozen lakes and using it to keep beer coll It was actually one of the first places that spread from Boston was Milwaukee for the beer business.
Speaker 3: So you have a new way to transport beer. You have a beer panic in the big cities. And so Jacob Best starts to ship barrels of their logger on the Lake Michigan ferry to Chicago and then down a canal to Saint Louis. Lagger drought over Jacob Best, and eventually his son Philip started to build their brand. The other thing happening in eighteen hundreds is the launch of brands. They put their last names. They put worst Beer first, No, it was best select, and they put it on the bottle. And they came up with a drinking song specifically for their beer. Here are the lyrics printed in Maureen Ogle's great book Ambitious Brew. Jacob sing Us sing Us a drinking song of the bests.
Speaker 4: When the glasses loudly ring, all the waiters quickly spring, serving promptly all the guests with the bestest of the bests, with.
Speaker 3: The bestest of the best. I want a tuba for that the best. We're soon making enough profit to expand. They built a new brewery in Milwaukee look like a Gothic castle, and the Lagger vaults extended for several city blocks under the city.
Speaker 1: It's all beer below the water.
Speaker 4: We need a comic book. We need a beer comic book down there.
Speaker 3: Eventually a steamboat captain married into the family and he took over the business and renamed it. His name was Frederick Papst. He tied a little blue ribbon around the next of the bottles, like an actual blue ribbon. Yeah, as part of the marketing they could stand out.
Speaker 4: I always thought it was it's like they won a blue ribbon at a contest or something.
Speaker 1: They later did.
Speaker 4: Also, Yeah, the actual blue ribbon seems impressive.
Speaker 1: It's nice.
Speaker 3: Now you needed a gimmick like this to stand out. Because everyone was getting into the brewing business in the late eighteen hundreds, we start to see companies like Schlitz, Miller, Anheuser Busch, and Papst. Now, maybe because it was a product of the German immigrants, beer did not enjoy the best reputation in the late eighteen hundreds. This is when the temperance movement was rising in America. People who said we should outlaw alcohol. It's terrible, and these German and Irish immigrants, they were painted as being drunks invading and destroying America. The beer industry fought back with science. They said, listen, beer is a low alcohol alternative to the devil that is whiskey. They said in court, you could drink twenty pints of lager before you could get drunk.
Speaker 4: It's a lot of pints.
Speaker 3: The brewers might have won this argument, but just as the prohibition movement was growing, the US declared war on Germany in nineteen seventeen, and beer became an easy target for the propaganda of the war. Here's what one pro prohibition politician had to say.
Speaker 4: No, Germans in the war are conspiring against the peace and happiness of the United States more than Papst, schlitz Miller and others of their kind. We don't like that phrase their kind.
Speaker 3: It's never good. No, we should do a prohibition show in the future.
Speaker 4: Yeah, there's a lot of sort of tax and regulation. I mean, even just al Capone. I think there's a business case study about al Capone that I've been meaning to dig into.
Speaker 1: Oh, we should definitely do it.
Speaker 3: Just after the war, the Eighteenth Amendment passed, which meant that prohibition was in effect in the United States of America. Production of alcohol is now banned, and the big beer companies converted their giant factories to make near beers like low alcoholics, soft drinks. Essentially, it would have been very popular today.
Speaker 1: That is the trend.
Speaker 3: And because they had ice houses and refrigeration plants, some started to produce ice cream. Paps made spreadable cheese delicious. In fact, got sued by Craft. Perhaps also had a big real estate portfolio from all the beer gardens and hotels and taverns, and it acquired it developed these properties, rented, sold them off. It did anything to survive prohibition. And because all of this, you know, a lot of the small breweries went out of business, but paps they made it through. When prohibition was repealed in nineteen thirty three, they could reopen the factory and start to sell beer again in America. But the paps that they were about to brew, the one that Billy Carter was to come to love, would not be the same beer. It would taste different than the one that carried that first blue ribbon. It would be much worse after the break. I think we've all heard about the celebrations when prohibition was repealed and people are drinking in the streets. It feels like it was this anomaly in America. But prohibition really changed the industry. Obviously, people drank less, they just did after prohibition, and the industry structure was altered. In the old days, if you were perhaps blue ribbon, you would have a beer guarding.
Speaker 4: A lot of bars were owned or financed directly by brewers, right, it was like a it was a vertical integration.
Speaker 3: Basically, when prohibition was repealed, the US government was like, well, wait a minute, let's not go back to the way things were. Let's create something new called a beer distributor. It was ended up being a what is a three tier systems?
Speaker 4: Three tier system? This is the phrase everybody is.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so rather than sell the beer you made to someone who wants to drink the beer you made.
Speaker 4: Or even rather than sell it to a store that's going to sell it.
Speaker 3: The brewer would sell it to a distributor. The distributor would sell it to a store, and the store would sell it to the customer.
Speaker 4: Yes, and so the three tiers, to be clear are brewer, wholesaler, slash distributor, and store. And like, just like, why did they do that? What is the rationale?
Speaker 3: I think the government was worried that the brewers had incentive to, first of all, to take over markets because they owned the bars and the beer halls, and also an incentive to encourage people to drink more than they probably should because because it is their product. So they were concerned about alcoholism. But also they were concerned about taxing the industry, and they felt like if they reduced the power of all parts of the brewing industry, it would be easier to track the beer and to tax the beer.
Speaker 4: And maybe you know, I'm kind of making this up, but antitrust was pticularly aggressive around this time, and there was that famous case. You know, movie studios used to own movie theaters, yes, and there's the famous case that went to the Supreme Court where the government didn't want that to happen anymore. They didn't want that vertical integration, and they won and movie studios were no longer allowed to own theaters anymore. This is the analog of that, right, beer brewers can't own bars anymore. And it seems like there are some I don't know whether they're intended or not, but there are some interesting structural consequences of this shift. One of them of this three tiered system is it seems to be quite bad for small brewers, right, They already were having a hard time. A lot of them had gone out of business in prohibition.
Speaker 3: They don't have a lot of leverage with the distributors, right. Distributors have a limited storage space, limited truck space, and limited shelf space. These are the things that distributors care about, and so in theory they could negotiate with every small brewery. But if you're a distributor, it's easy to just talk to Paps Blue Ribbon and to like fill up your truck with Paps we Ribbon and to put it on the shelf.
Speaker 4: And I bet Paps we Ribbon will give you a deal. I mean, it kind of reminds me of the Amp story as well, where the big player it just has economies of scale and efficiencies, and the distributor just wants to do the easiest, cheapest thing, the most efficient thing, and why wouldn't they And that's good for the big brewers and bad for the small brewers. So now we have beer distributors and the big breweries seem to get bigger. The smaller ones seem to be hurt after this. And it's interesting when you have a market like this and there's a few big players, there's a couple of ways the market can divide differentiate. One way would be that, you know, some people could start making beers for a more sophisticated palette. You could have basically a rich person's beer costs a lot, has great flavor, and then a cheaper swell you could sell to the masses. What actually happened was that all the big breweries decided they were going to cut costs and compete to be the cheapest, blandest, most generic beer out there. This feels very mid century to me. I feel like in the we're in the kind of post war period here, right, We're in the nineteen fifties, sixties. It feels like this very mass market era. And you can imagine the three tiered system being highly relevant here, right. We just we want to fill the distributor's trucks with our couple beers, with our one or two basic beers that everybody's going to want, and send them out by the case.
Speaker 3: So, with this philosophy, perhaps and the other brewers decide they need to cut costs become more efficient. They add corn and rice to make the beer cheaper and blander and at this point they decide they're going to compete through advertising, not the flavor space. Flavor space, flavor space. So by the nineteen seventies, basically every beer is weak. It's very light, very pale, very dry, and the only thing to differentiate is the name on the label and the tagline. The tagline became so important here. Why do you read me some of these taglines? Miller makes it right. Where there's life, there's bud. If you'll like beer, you'll love Schlitz. You know what things made me think of? You remember the Homer Simpson line beer.
Speaker 4: The cause of and solution to all of life's problems, something like that.
Speaker 3: Well, he's making fun of this era of beer. And because it is the mad Men era and they are starting to advertise on television and sponsor big league sports, these beer names are everywhere, and everyone's looking for their competitive advantage in terms of how can I get the name of my beer to stand out? Who can I get to hold up my beer and say this beer is the best. And their eyes turned towards planes Georgia.
Speaker 1: It's nineteen seventy six.
Speaker 3: Governor Jimmy Carter runs for president and the world's press descends on planes Georgia. You know, I've been there myself. You have to do the puff piece about the people running for president where you interview all their neighbors and their relatives and who should be there at the gas station when you drive into planes Georgia. But the President's brother, Billy Carter, and they loved him. Jimmy Carter, the President later said, why don't you give me this quote?
Speaker 4: He could play the country bumpkin as well as anyone. His beer drinking helped promote that image. He had a can of beer in his hand in every photo I ever saw. And I just want to point out that phrase, play the country bumpkin, right, because what President Carter is saying here is Billy knew what he was doing. He was conscious that he was putting on an act, creating a persona, and he was good at it.
Speaker 3: And what Jimmy Carter didn't say is that this act, this image, the country bumpkin, actually helped his run for president. This is just after Vietnam and Watergate, and Americans were suspicious of the same old politicians in Washington, DC. And Billy Yeah, he was embarrassing. He used some unfortunate language, but he humanized Jimmy Carter. He made it seem like this is an authentic politician from an authentic small town, and who amongst us doesn't have a brother that says the wrong thing occasionally. So Billy took advantage of this. He went on TV game shows, he judged belly flop competitions, and eventually he hired an agent to handle all the media requests and business propositions that flooded in. Definitely taking advantage of his brother's run for president. And you could imagine the beer companies taking a look at this guy who is never without a beer in his hand, and they think, this guy, we can make money off of this guy. One company in particular, this was a small trying to compete against the paps and the Budweisers of the time. It was called Fall City Brewing Company. They were a little desperate. They had started in nineteen oh five in Louisville, Kentucky. Just a little side note, Fall City were the first people at the time to start using the state tab opener for their beer cans, which we talked about in our can show.
Speaker 4: The state tad is the way you open a can now, the misticulous three lever thing.
Speaker 3: Instead of instead of the ring poll.
Speaker 4: Which was a deadly device.
Speaker 1: People can swallow them. It's terrible.
Speaker 3: So False City looks at Billy Carter and they think, yes, yes, what if we craft an entire beer around this beer god's image. What if we make Billy beer? And they were going to take it up a nuts. They weren't just going to put his name on it. They were going to have Billy pick the beer. Okay, So they send a private jet to Georgia to pick up Billy Carter. They bring in Billy Carter. His quote is, perhaps I'll become the Colonel Sanders of beer.
Speaker 4: It's interesting that he should say Colonel Sanders because today a celebrity not just endorsing a beer, but you know, starting a brand that has become a thing. If you're famous and you want to not just be really rich, but really really rich, rather than just acting in another movie or releasing another album, you start a tequila brand or a line of skin care products, and if it goes well, you go from mega millionaire to maybe billionaire.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: If you know Jay Z like bought into a champagne company.
Speaker 4: Yeah, George Clooney and Rihanna.
Speaker 3: Billy Carter is going to be that guy so he's flying to Louisville. He is going to pick out the beer that will bear his name. Only problem is, Billy at this point is drinking a little bit more than beer. He had graduated to the hard stuff. So Lanny and Louisville. Billy later admitted quote, I'd been knocking vodka and grapefruit juice all the way there.
Speaker 4: At least there was the juice.
Speaker 3: It's good for you. It keeps the scurvy away. Billy was set up with all these different recipes of beer, and his one job was to taste them all and to pick out the one that would become Billy Beer. Here's what Billy said of that tasting session, Jacob I was.
Speaker 4: So drunk that they could have given me water in a glass and I wouldn't have known the difference. I finally just pointed at one and said that's the best.
Speaker 3: And so that was the batch that got the green light for full scale production start the factory, and False City was going to make so much of this beer that it couldn't handle the brewing on its own. It licensed Billy Beer to several small outlets across the nation so that Billy Beer could all roll out the same time, and they designed it around the image of Billy. It said billion, big blue letters, and it had this claim in smaller print, Jacob brewed.
Speaker 4: Express and with the personal approval of one of America's all time great beer drinkers, Billy Carter.
Speaker 1: It's a pretty good copy.
Speaker 3: And then even more there was a personal endorsement from Billy that was the company speak.
Speaker 4: Really leaning in. So on the can, Billy says, I had this beer brewed up just for me. I think it's the best I ever tasted, and I've tasted a lot. I think you'll like it too. It's very country bumpkin. It's very much in that persona.
Speaker 3: Do you remember that Billy was drunk and had no detailed memory of the tasting, and when he tried it again, he realized he did not like the taste of his own beer. He said, I have trouble believing a reputable brewery would pick it. Dude, you picked it fine. Contractually, he had to be seen with Billy beer in his hand, but he would often pour out the contents and fill up the can with a vodka.
Speaker 4: That is a that is kind of a grim turn in our story. That is not as fun.
Speaker 3: Billy at this point is a pretty serious alcoholic, and he's drinking a lot, and they're parading him around the nation. He would go to these events and people would sing Hello Billy to the tune of Hello Dolly. They had Billy Beer Day in Carter's hometown, complete with a branded hot air balloon. It was one of the wildest days ever in planes, said Billy. Everyone in town except the Baptist got drunk. But this huge buzz, as I'm sure you can imagine, did.
Speaker 4: Not last long like any buzz.
Speaker 3: Like any buzz, there is a hangover, and that happened in nineteen seventy eight. Distributors start returning the beer to the manufacturer by the case load. It was discounted. It was a flop, and that year fALS City Brewing shut down. Nineteen seventy eight was also the same year that Jimmy Carter, the President's approval ratings started to drop. Probably not connected. The economy was weak, There's an energy crisis. It was a tough time, and it seemed like everyone needed to just chill and relax and.
Speaker 1: Have a good beer.
Speaker 3: But there were no good beers to be had. It was the low point of beer in the United States of America. The nation needed an optimistic hero, someone who could show us that there's morning in America and drink a beautiful craft beer to celebrate it. I am not referring to Ronald Reagan. He was a one drinker. I'm referring to the man who will bring back good beer.
Speaker 1: We will meet him after the break.
Speaker 4: Robert Smith, We're back from the break, and you're about to tell me the story of the birth of craft beer in America, or the rebirth of craft beer in America.
Speaker 3: We had reached the bottom. Seventies were a dark time for beer. If you didn't like what they were serving, you did not have many options. The five big beer companies controlled seventy five percent of the market beer oligopoly, and even if you wanted to brew your own beer at home, you were out of luck because it was illegal. When prohibition was repealed, the law allowed for making a small amount of wine at home, but not beer. Essentially, what the law says is that all beer production has to be taxed, but there was no mechanism to collect taxes from home brewers. So if you somehow brewed beer and didn't pay taxes because you can't pay taxes.
Speaker 1: You could be charged.
Speaker 3: And you know, have to pay up to five thousand dollars.
Speaker 4: Fine homebrew Catch twenty two.
Speaker 3: Why is the seventies and there were some people who were illegally brewing the hop stuff. This included a young Californian named Ken Grossman.
Speaker 1: Give us a quote from the beer Rebel.
Speaker 4: I don't remember the exact day I made my first batch of homebrew, but it was some time between Junior and Senior High. Junior and Senior High. He's a little boy baking beer. I did what any teenager would and hid my equipment in my closet. Of course, my mother found it, but I managed to convince her that it was just an experiment and I wouldn't drink it.
Speaker 1: I don't.
Speaker 3: I don't believe him. His mother parents was cooler in the seventies. My parents were not paying attention to the seventies. I think you know that it's hard to believe that anyone would not see what their teenage son was doing. It was also amazing because this was pre internet. It wasn't something you could just ask AI, how do I make beer at home? Ken Grossman had to figure this out by himself. One of the things he did was to order books from the UK, Like, really.
Speaker 4: Nobody was brewing beer in America. They were not homebrew books.
Speaker 3: Yeah, how do I do this? And then he had to find his ingredients at local supermarkets. He continued homebrewing through high schooling into college and this was his main hobby other than hiking in the Sierra Nevada mountains. Loved the Sierra Nevada. He and his wife had a child, a daughter named Sierra Heavy, foreshadowing Ken starts to teach others how to homebrew, and they really struggled to get the one thing they really needed to make the beer's great, and that was the hops.
Speaker 4: Beer people loved to talk about hops.
Speaker 3: I'm gonna make you talk about hops. Why do you give me? A quote from Ken Grossman.
Speaker 4: Finding quality hops was nearly impossible because the homebrew trade consumed an insignificant amount of hops and apparently, in the eyes of hop growers and merchants, wasn't worth pursuing.
Speaker 1: But then.
Speaker 3: President Jimmy Carter comes to the rescue. This is literally as his brother Billy is signing on the dotted line to be the face of Billy Beer. The low point of beer in America. Jimmy Carter is about to create the high point for beer. Now. President Carter did not drink much himself, but he wasn't anti alcohol In Georgia, he had lowered the drinking.
Speaker 1: Age to eighteen.
Speaker 3: He argued big argument at the time that if Georgia boys were going to go off to fight in Vietnam, they should be able to down a beer at home. So Carter's not anti alcoholic, just doesn't care for himself. And on October fourteenth, nineteen seventy eight, he signs a federal transportation Bill HR one three three seven into law. It's about taxing trucks and buses, but it also held an amendment, an amendment that solved this tax problem for beer. The amendment said, any adult may, without payment or tax, produce beer for his personal or family use, and not for sale. The aggregate amount shall not exceed two hundred gallons per calendar year if there are two or more adults, one hundred gallons if there's only one adult.
Speaker 1: Whatever. Quite dull language. But in his book.
Speaker 3: Beyond the Pale, great title Beyond the Pale, Ken Grossman calls this the turning point. This is the turning point for beer. President Carter has done what his brother could not, inspire beautiful beer. The homebrewers start to come out of the cold. They start having trade shows, start homebrew supply shops. There's a whole generation that's learning a more sophisticated palette. And eventually, and this was the key, they start to make small breweries to make larger batches of this beer that they had perfected at home. Ken Grossman is one of these brewers. He borrowed fifty grand from his friends and family, and then another fifty grand, and they beg borrow and scavenge pipework and vats and bottling machines. And after some false starts eleven they have eleven failures, they finally mass brew a batch of ale they call Sierra Nevada. Saw it coming a beer I drink to this day. Turns out, scaling up from homebrew to industrial capacity is quite hard. It is tricky to make a consistent product. You have to keep everything very clean, you have to keep it refrigerated. And it's the thing we talked about it before. You have to get buy the distributors. The distributors who are dealing with paps and Budweiser. The don't want to take to Ken Grossman for his like three cases of beer.
Speaker 4: It is quite inefficient for them to do that. It is costly for them to do that. It is rational for them to not talk to him. What it means is that Ken has to take on an inefficiency himself. He has to get in his car and visit local taverns and restaurants and ask them individually to stock Sierra Nevada or to ask their distributors. Right, they can't even buy it from him, right, he has to get them to ask their distributor to sell it to them.
Speaker 1: But these home.
Speaker 3: Brewers turned industrial brewers are a clever lot, and they figure out that there are loopholes to this distributor thing. And you know what's coming. You can open a brew pub, which I remember at the time, I'm like, this is incredible. They brew the beer and whatever they serve you some French fries, and you can drink their beer and see it being made behind the glpe.
Speaker 4: And in fact, these brew pubs tap rooms sometimes they're called they're slightly different. They're enabled by these state laws that start getting passed in the eighties. They are part of this shift, and it is very much as we've seen through this story, a legal and regulatory story all the way through, and a.
Speaker 3: Little bit about taste. If in the fifties and sixties people wanted this bland, industrial taste, by the eighties people are starting to seek out things that are different, finding a new beer, telling your friends about you're not going to believe this ipa.
Speaker 4: Food and being more into food goes with that. Having particular sophisticated taste in food is more of a thing.
Speaker 3: And it was a big breakthrough to have regional beer. Remember regional foods were a thing. But when you thought, like, oh, beers can taste different everywhere you go, this becomes a kind of collect them all thing.
Speaker 1: That's big.
Speaker 3: But micro brews, I guess microways in the name, was still a small business in America. It's going to take one more person to really make this an industry craft brewing. His name is Jim Cook, and Jim Cook was not a brewer, but he had roots back in the brewing industry. The way he tells the story is he found an old family recipe for beer, found it in his parents' attic, and he tries to recreate it in the kitchen and it ends up stripping the wallpaper off the walls, but he persists. He wants to make his own homebrew. But more importantly, Jim has a day job, and his day job is at the Boston Consulting Group. He is a consultant, a businessman at heart, and he starts to think about this as a business proposition. How can I leverage capital? How can I leverage scale for this recipe that I love. What he figures out is he doesn't need his own brewery and employees. That's the hardest part is buying all the vats and brewing the actual beer. He realizes that all around the country are breweries with excess capacity. Ah they have times where the vats are empty, and he thinks, what if I can just hire out the vat space, hire out the brew masters and the employees to make my recipe. I can put my name and my recipe in the bottle and have someone else sort of take on the capital risk.
Speaker 4: This eliminates a huge amount of risk. I mean starting a brewery. Building a brewery from nothing when you haven't sold any beer is extremely risky. And if you have capacity just sitting there, you would imagine people would rent it out to you quite cheaply. The marginal cost to them is low, and they should pass that low cost onto you. It's really a lovely big idea.
Speaker 1: I will also say that.
Speaker 3: These big factories have refrigeration and so they're able to make that German style lagger, the one that requires a whole cold chain to make and cook launches his baby Sam Adams Boston Lagger, another great beer, and it's.
Speaker 1: Not a light logger.
Speaker 3: It's sort of ready and bitter, and it immediately wins best Beer in America, which of course they put on the bottle. And this was the real breakthrough. Craft brewers rise all over the United States. Group pubs are in every small town and to this day, Boston Beer Company that makes Sam Adams and Sierra Nevada are in the top ten list of brewers in the United States by size, and they sell their products around the world.
Speaker 4: I was shocked, honestly that they're both still independent, because what we've seen a lot is there a few giant beer conglomerates that are sort of have come down from the big beer companies that were dominant in the billy beer era that still exists, and what they've done is bought up a lot of the craft brewers. So there'll be a beer that is a craft beer by a certain sense that tastes interesting maybe, but it's owned by a giant company. It's it's impressive to me in a way that both Sam Adams and Sierra Nevada are still independent.
Speaker 3: Yeah, these big companies are doing what they probably should have done back in the nineteen fifties, which is, you know, I can walk into a place that only has Budweiser products but also get Goose Island you know IPA, which, yeah, which was a craft brewer in Chicago that is now nationwide.
Speaker 1: Because of the distributors.
Speaker 3: Here at the end of the show, let's go back to our two main characters, Jimmy Carter and Billy Carter. Jimmy Carter, of course, lost his re election bid in a landslide to Ronald Reagan, who, as I said, was a wine drinker and does not feature in this story. Carter would go on to become one of the most respected ex presidents in history, and he won the Nobel Peace Prize in two thousand and two. Billy Carter's story is tougher. It's sad he was a severe alcoholic by the end of Carter's presidency. He said, basically, from October to December of nineteen seventy eight, I didn't do anything but drink. He was behaving erratically. He urinated on an airport runway, which was big news at the time. He started to work as a paid agent for Libya's Momar Gadaffi, and it became known as Billy Gate, maybe one of the first post Watergate other gates.
Speaker 4: I was looking at this. There was apparently a Banana Gate in nineteen seventy four, like right around the time of Watergate. Very soon after I had to do something to payments to a Central American government buy a fruit company.
Speaker 3: Bananagate and Billy Gates, so the second gate perhaps doubtful. Billy Carter went into a hospital to dry out, and he stayed sober after rehab, although he admitted it feels funny not having a beer can in my hand. He died at the age of fifty one. I had hoped to order a can of Billy beer we could taste here. Couldn't do it, but I read about what it did taste like, and I assumed it was going to be a terrible light beer like paps.
Speaker 1: But it was not.
Speaker 3: When Billy's Sun tried the beer, his quote was, it was strong and heavy and a couple could kick my young ass all over town. I don't know why his young.
Speaker 1: Son's drinking the beer, but sure, sure, sure.
Speaker 3: One of the brewers said that Billy Carter, in his drunken haze, had actually picked one of the more complex test recipes put before him. He said it had a combination of three tastes, soft, a little on the light beer side, and hoppy with a strong aftertaste. It was probably, and this is a quote, too sophisticated for American tastes. When he launched Billy beer, people were expecting that blandness, that sweetness, not bitterness and happiness. And in nineteen seventy eight, Billy Beer may not have been bland enough for the mass market. Makes me think, I don't know, maybe if you had launched it twenty years later, the craft brewing craze, maybe you could have walked into one of these giant beer bars that have the one hundred and twenty seven taps and said, you know, I'm going to try the Billy Beer. I hear it's a regional brew named after the brother of a popular ex president.
Speaker 4: So we've done a beer show now.
Speaker 1: Yes.
Speaker 4: If you have other ideas for beer shows for us, or closer to my heart, other ideas for tax and regulation shows?
Speaker 1: Are you talking about whiskey?
Speaker 4: Email us at Business History at Pushkin dot fm, or get in touch with us on Twitter. I'm at Jacob Goldstein, you're at Radio Smith. I'm on LinkedIn. We do love to hear from you. Today's show was produced by Gabriel Hunter Chang was engineered by Sarah Bruguer. Our video editor who puts us on YouTube is Matt Nielsen, and our showrunner and editor who did most of the work on this show he did is one Ryan Dilly. I'm Jacob Goldstein and I'm Robert Smith.
Speaker 1: Thanks for listening.