Speaker 1: Broadcasting live from the Abraham Lincoln Radio Studio the George Washington Broadcast Center. Jack Armstrong and Joe, Catty Armstrong and Jettie.
Speaker 2: And Pee.
Speaker 3: Armstrong and Caddy Strong.
Speaker 4: Welcome to a replay of the Armstrong and Getty Show. We are on vacation, but boy, do we have some good stuff for you.
Speaker 3: Yes, indeed we do.
Speaker 2: And if you want to catch up on your ang listening during your travels, remember grab the podcast Armstrong and Getty on demand. You ought to subscribe wherever you like to get podcasts. Now on with the Infotainment.
Speaker 4: I got started on this jag because it's happening at a local skateboard park and it reminded me of something that happened to me years ago in la and I wanted to tell this story again because it drives me nuts. It's a great example of the conflict of visions that Thomas Soyl talks about between conservatives and progressives and just different ways of seeing the world and stuff like that, where I can't get in the mind. I can't even understand the point of view of the people I'm about to talk about, and they can't understand my point of view. So we've got a local story here in Fulsome, California. That's right, that Fulsome. I heard the training come and coming around the bend. I shot a guy just for fun whatever. That whole thing Fullsome skateboard park where for a couple of reasons, they're talking about doing away with the attendants at the skateboard park. The attendant's job is to, it says, stop graffiti from happening, break up fights, and to make sure skateboarders have helmets and pads on wouldn't they skateboard? The city is saying they don't have enough money for the attendant. A whole bunch of skateboarders showed up to various meetings and said, nobody goes because nobody's gonna wear all those pats.
Speaker 3: So what's the point.
Speaker 4: I just saw a video up on the TV and it showed one kid in this giant, glorious looking skateboard park. One kid's skateboarding, and it said on there it said they've had five hundred and eighty people a month on average during summertime. That's nobody's I did the math, that's nineteen a day or something like that. That's nobody. You should have two hundred kids a day there. I've had this experience drives me nuts. When I went to Los Angeles, my son was super into skateboarding. One time we went, we went to LA just to do like a tour of skateboard parks. He'd never been to different ones, and I thought, in LA's probably got a lot of great skateboard parks. We'd been to the one on Venice Beach and checked that out. As we traveled around, almost every skateboard park we went to, which was empty on a beautiful day eighty degree like it always isn't a La eighty degrees, slight breeze, This beautiful sunshine, empty skateboard park in the summertime, but an attendant there saying, I'm sorry, you can't skate here because you don't have the pads.
Speaker 3: Because we didn't bring pads.
Speaker 4: I always had him wear a helmet, but he didn't have elbow pads and knee pads and all that sort of stuff, so he couldn't skateboard there. And the first one it was like annoying. The second one it was like annoying times five. By the third one, actually, I found a skateboard park that was packed full of people skateboarding because they didn't have an attendant, got to skateboard for a while, tried a different skateboard park, also empty, with a person there with a clipboard attending it. And that's when I started getting angry and lecturing people and saying, yes, do you realize there's a skateboard park like a mile from here that's packed full of people's skateboarding, kids baking. You have nobody here, So what are you accomplishing?
Speaker 5: You?
Speaker 3: Why did you build a skateboard park.
Speaker 4: It's empty on a gorgeous date, nobody's using it.
Speaker 3: Well, we need to make sure kids are safe.
Speaker 4: Well, first of all, you don't, but you might as well not have a skatebo either have one or don't. But you're not stopping kids from wrecking on their skateboard because they're not skateboarding, or they're traveling further away to go to some place where they don't have to wear pads. And every I said this at several skateboard parks, and all they did was look at me like I'm an angry lunatic, partially because I was an angry lunatic.
Speaker 3: But I like, I can't get in the headspace.
Speaker 4: Of anybody who could be an attendant, or the parents who think that's a good idea. Better to have an empty skateboard park than to let our kids skin their knees or elbows.
Speaker 2: The paternalism probably a poor choice of words, since some of these people are literally fathers, but the condescension, the nannyism of it is disgusting to me. The idea that kids, all of a sudden, for the first time in human history, can't within reasonable bounds a that's their own risk tolerance and their own willingness to endure the negative consequences of overdoing it. I mean, for the first time in human history, kids must be protected from banging up their elbows and knees. I do not get someone coming to that conclusion and being so pleased with themselves.
Speaker 3: I'm horrified by it.
Speaker 2: I'm disgusted by it literally because I see what it's doing the generation of kids, generations of kids.
Speaker 3: Why do kids have so.
Speaker 2: Much anxiety because they haven't been allowed in general, because they haven't been allowed to develop a sense of risk tolerance throughout their lives and confidence that they know.
Speaker 3: What they're doing. They're veal caves. That's indisputable. It's been documented.
Speaker 4: As we've talked about before, Europe has figured out that they're doing away with like the super safe parts and stuff like that. They're moving toward kids doing more dangerous stuff, banging their heads and elbows and stuff more often. Because it's good for you for all kinds of different emotional reasons. But I also wonder just what it does to children. I know with my kids, part of it. What it does to children to see all these stupid, freaking, they don't make any sense laws. I know it's made my kids less respectful of all laws, is what it's done. And of course it would because when you're confronted with stupid ones, it makes you think everybody who makes laws is stupid? So why would I pay attention to this one because that one's obviously dumb.
Speaker 2: If Thomas Jefferson were here, he might say, first of all, what are those metal things flying through this guy? But he would also say, this reminds me of that discussion you guys had about rent controls like twenty minutes ago.
Speaker 3: This is the same thing.
Speaker 2: You have a market of faith or respect for the law, and your sons have seen more and more stupid.
Speaker 3: Useless, paternalistic laws.
Speaker 2: Their faith in the laws declining, they will behave politically in a way that.
Speaker 3: Ends that as soon as they can.
Speaker 2: If indeed, you can fight the nanty state and they will be beaten back by your son's disgust with a paternalism.
Speaker 4: I know a woman who is super nice and very helpful to me, and just like the nicest person in the world, have been very helpful to me in all kinds of different ways of my life. But she told me the story and I kept my mouth shut about how when the skateboard park in my town opened up, how she and another mom they would go there on the weekends and set up and monitor to make sure all the kids were wearing the proper pads and helmets and everything like that. And she said she kept it up for a summer or two, but they just couldn't keep up the schedule. I did, I just like, were you a kid ever once? And maybe a few girls didn't. Did you notice the boys did bang their knees and have bloody eb have s scabs on their elbows and knees constantly as a child, And did you think that that was.
Speaker 3: Just awful, like Aschwitzer.
Speaker 4: Or something like that, that they were having scabs on their knees. It's like the most normal thing in the world for a ten year old boy to have a scab on his knee.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I can't hold back. I generally say something in situations like that. It's probably why I have very few friends. But uh, yeah.
Speaker 4: Well I can't stop short of you're a psycho, because I think you are.
Speaker 3: I see that's your problem.
Speaker 4: How do you not look around an empty skateboard park and think, well, this is somehow self defeating If we have nobody using the skateboard park, I'm not sure what we're doing.
Speaker 3: Here, right exactly? Yeah?
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, yeah, yeah, you gotta develop going from emotional gear one to five. You got to you gotta be able to settle into two and three there and make the argument. You know, I respectfully disagree. I think kids need to take risks and get banged up and learn that it won't kill them and decide how risky they want to live their life. It's great the kids get banged up. Were you not a kid once? Do you think kids are built differently now? Are they're like bones made of glass now and they didn't used to be?
Speaker 3: Every time? What is your thought process?
Speaker 4: I just think it makes me insane that sort of thing, all right, My alternative to safety first, plus the greatest quote ever on this topic from the Great C. S. Lewis, After a quick word from our friends at Trust and Will. If you don't have a will and or trust, it could well be that your kids, your loved ones, and your heirs will fight it out and hate each other and spend all their money on lawyers.
Speaker 2: That is a terrible thing to do to them. Get in contact with our friends at Trust and Will.
Speaker 4: So it's a website you go to and it walks you through the whole thing and you start filling in information. I'm sure you start with name and address, but then you get accounts and all that sort of thing. Live customer support through chat, phone or email at any point if you get any indeed troubles. But the step my step process guides you from start to finish. You could get this done a lot faster than you think and less expensively.
Speaker 2: To create manager custom a state plans starting at one hundred and ninety nine dollars, Secure your assets, protect your loved ones with Trust and Will. Get twenty percent off your estate plan documents by visiting Trust and will dot com slash armstrong. It's state by state too custom for you. That's trust and will dot com slash armstrong, Trust and Will dot com slash armstrong.
Speaker 4: I wonder why I can't let go of this stuff as well as I can, Like I've had some unfortunate breaks in my life that I've been able to mostly let go of much better than I can let go.
Speaker 3: Of this sort of thing. We're driving around all these skateboard parts.
Speaker 4: Finally, I was just getting Sam had been looking forward to the skateboard parts so much. It was our vacation. We were there and we couldn't go anywhere. So I finally found I had to go to like two stores. Finally found a bike store where they sold knee pads and elbow pads, stuff like that, just so we could go skateboard. We went to one and they said they weren't the right kind of elbow pads. And I don't think I've ever been angrier in my life, and I just couldn't let it go. It was like my head was gonna pop off. I hate that feeling where I just it's a cognitive dissonance I just can't make. I couldn't make the empty skate park, skateboard park, beautiful day. There's nothing wrong with this, It doesn't hurt anything to bang your knee. All fit into my head. It just was making me crazy.
Speaker 2: Right right, There is absolutely a vein of especially you know, it clicked in my head when you got to that example of oh yeah, he's got elbow pads, but they're not the right cod right that That is absolutely the intoxication of power aiding What I was going to talk about here, just the great CS. Lewis quote, which we've used many times on the show. But of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victim maybe the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omniptent, moral, busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity or greed may at some point be satiated. But those who torment us for our own good will torment men us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience. So true, I want to popular popularize the saying, maybe we.
Speaker 3: Gotta get T shirts going safety.
Speaker 2: Third, yeah, I and people would ask what Wait, Wait, isn't the expression safety first and the safe. Maybe the back of the safety third T shirt would have one courage two curiosity three safety safety third. Right, I'll bet I'm not talking about handing your four year old of forty five letting them squeeze off a couple of shots. We're talking about kids riding their bike at a parking playing ball.
Speaker 3: I'm sure the one woman still tells stories about the bald lunatic. Okay, because I remember walking away, have fun monitoring your empty skateboard park. You're doing a lot of good for the world. I was so mad.
Speaker 2: Yeah, she cannot conceive of what you were trying to communicate.
Speaker 3: Now she thinks that, thank god, if I hadn't been here, that lunatic would have let his kids skateboard without me pads, how many people would have died.
Speaker 2: It's a it's a stereotype, and it's oversimplified because there are many tough, smart, great women who have helped make America great. But we have gone from maybe too much of a daddy society to too much.
Speaker 3: Of a mommy.
Speaker 2: So, without a doubt, oh, we are clutching our children to our aprons and not letting them risk a single thing.
Speaker 3: Good Lord, The Armstrong and Getty Show.
Speaker 1: More Jack your Joe podcasts and our hot links Jack Armstrong and Joe Getty, The Armstrong and Getty Show.
Speaker 3: I don't know what happened in the.
Speaker 5: Keys honey or oh my god, I'm sorry, I'm sorry that I don't know what to say to that.
Speaker 3: I apologize. Go ahead the question here. I'm sorry, I been totally thrown Yeah, I can imagine. I'm a little thrown by that. Also, if I'm being honest, I don't know what to say. Well, go ahead, you've only gone a minute and seven. The so the lawyer talking to the judge drops off, honey, Oh my gosh. I'm sorry. I'm a little thrown by that. Yeah, me too. I gotta play that for my daughter. Oh that's funny.
Speaker 2: She's getting ready to audition for her call law school mock trial team, which is a very very good one. And the idea that you would accidentally call the judge honey is just.
Speaker 3: Can I hear that again? Well? Just yeah, go ahead.
Speaker 5: This could have been three separate, but it wasn't three separate.
Speaker 3: Let's go with what happened in the Keys.
Speaker 5: The honey, Oh my God, I'm sorry. I'm sorry that. I don't know what to say to that. I apologize.
Speaker 3: You know, that's good.
Speaker 2: You turn to the bailiff to say, let me borrow your gun and just do the right thing.
Speaker 3: It's over. Oh that's hilargy. I'm sorry. I'm a little thrown by the Yeah, me too. You gotta play that for your dad, Katie, who was a judge. Oh yeah, and the and the honey.
Speaker 4: Was like in a just kind of a half condescending yeah, yeah, yeah, absolutely, yeah, very much.
Speaker 3: So, oh honey, come on, let them, let the men handle this.
Speaker 2: His only possible savior is to call his wife in the court and say, your honor. We had a bit of a go around this morning. I was arguing with him, he was arguing with me. It's probably stuck in his head. I mean, because that's.
Speaker 3: That is pretty funny.
Speaker 4: Yeah, the fact that the fact that he can't just move on, I just, oh, he's.
Speaker 3: So horrified by what he's done. He's just got to say, your honor.
Speaker 2: I'm filing a writ of vacation and I am going to become a plumber.
Speaker 3: Somebody else needs to take over this case. Yeah, what kind of trial? It is, But like, if he's defending me, i'd send him, Hey, can I get my money back? Or can I get a lawyer who doesn't call the judge? Honey? Is that possible?
Speaker 1: Hey?
Speaker 2: Thanks for not calling her bitch a counselor holy cow, there's going to be an assault charge next year, honor give me just a saying with this guy, I.
Speaker 3: Would stand up. Did everybody hear that? See that? Do I deserve my money back? Show hands? I'd raise my hand, yeah, yeah, give him his money back. Oh that's funny. What are fridge cigarettes? I like to hip you, obviously to new phrases and things like that, whether they're acronyms or two words blended together or whatever, you know, staycations, whatever they are. What kind of summer we're supposed to have? That's right? What are we having? We had this last week? Who was a therapy bro summer? That's what we're having? Oh goodness, too many summers and moons? Fridge cigaretts.
Speaker 4: It's your pop in the refrigerator, soda in the refrigerator, you know, like sitting is the new smoking.
Speaker 3: Somebody actually said that to me the other day and said, I believe sitting is a new smoking, And I think they weren't trying to be funny. I think they just act.
Speaker 4: They were trying to pretend that they came up with that on their own, and they were presenting it to me anyway. I just let it rolls. Fridge cigarettes, you're drinking soda. It's like smoking cigarettes taking years off your life. That's a pretty good turn off.
Speaker 3: The Armstrong and Getty Show.
Speaker 6: Why did spoke at a bipartisan event to encourage Democrats or Republicans to work to protect social security together? Which seems about as likely to happen as a reboot of Fiddler on the Roof starring Kanye West. But social security is number one for Joe Biden. Literally, his social Security number is one.
Speaker 4: That's kind of interesting as a lead into this Republicans newark Ats not being able to work together. It would seem that they could work together on cutting spending based on this polling that just came out from the Cato Institute. CATO is a serious think tank. It's a conservative think tank. They worked with you GOV on this survey and it's one of your really big, large number of people, wide reaching lots of questions sort of survey that comes out every once in a while from these think tanks. I don't know which of these numbers is my favorite. There's a lot of them that are just mind blowingly make me happy, But I can't believe because public will is a real big part of getting anything done in a democracy.
Speaker 3: Obviously, if you got big.
Speaker 4: Majorities of people that want something to happen, you should be able to get it to happen and run on it. Here's my favorite of all the spending we've done in the last ten years, and we've done a lot of spending in the last ten years.
Speaker 3: Eighty five percent. Now that's a big number.
Speaker 4: Whenever you get eighty five percent of people in agreement on something, you'd think you could get.
Speaker 3: Political will to do something.
Speaker 4: Eighty five percent say that spending is either not helped them or made their lives worse.
Speaker 3: Eighty five percent. That's astounding.
Speaker 4: You wouldn't get that from taking it in through the mainstream media, who feels like all government programs are wonderful and doges trying to cut back on any of them as a horror. Eighty five percent of Americans say all that spending has either not done anything for me or actually made my life worth the worse forty two percent no impact, forty three percent say it reduced to their quality of life.
Speaker 2: Wow, that's got to be inflation, which is the greatest teacher of economic principles in the history of mankind.
Speaker 4: Well, ors, just I regularly say, and this is true for me in my own personal life. I believe the government stops me from doing things more than it helps me.
Speaker 3: Uh, yeah, I think so. I mean, And well, do you drive on the roads? Yeah? We we know you're an idiot. Courses. I'm not even gonna explain why you're mora. I know, moron.
Speaker 4: And by the way, this is a non partisan observation. Eight and ten Democrats and nine and ten Republicans believe that the increase in federal spending has either made their lives not better or worse.
Speaker 2: Boy, this is really heartening, I know, if the Republican If the Republicans can keep between the ditches and not roll the car of their messaging over, it seems to me like the ground is super fertile for some good, solid conservatism in the years to come.
Speaker 4: Three quarters of Americans say the government spends too much. Love that seventy six percent the government spends too much. And again it's not a partisan thing at all. Majorities of Democrats fifty nine percent of Democrats think the government spends too much money.
Speaker 3: Well, you'd never get that from the main from your mainstream media coverage.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and the question of what do you cut and how and how much?
Speaker 3: That's the devil is in the details. But we do have an enormous.
Speaker 2: Generalized agreement that, yeah, we need to cut again two thirds. You get the opposite message from all of the coverage of doges, for instance.
Speaker 4: So almost everyone agrees there is waste frauden abuse in the federal government. The number is ninety eight percent. I have out know if I've ever seen a poll that reached ninety eight percent. Usually you have more than two percent. They're like, no opinion, I don't know, refuse to answer. Yeah, but would you like me to stab you right now? You might get ninety eight percent saying no, no opinion, ninety I'm not sure stab me as what. Ninety eight percent broadly agreed there is waste frauder abuse in the federal government.
Speaker 3: Of course, just to say no, you'd be a crazy person.
Speaker 4: About half say there is a great deal, oh yeah, than twenty percent a moderate amount.
Speaker 2: If hundreds of millions of dollars isn't a great deal to you, what are you elon Musk or something?
Speaker 3: Man?
Speaker 4: Yeah, Like I said, there's so many good numbers here, I don't even know which ones to pick out the most this one. One of the reasons this got attention was some of the tax stuff yesterday. Fifty five percent of Americans think their taxes are too high.
Speaker 2: Which I thought was really interesting, especially especially given what we were talking about yesterday on Tax Day that the top forty percent or so of income levels pay all of the income tax.
Speaker 4: But fifty five percent of American seature taxes are too high. Fifty five percent same number believe they pay more than their fair share in taxes. That obviously is interesting given the fact that half the country does not pay federal taxes federal income tax.
Speaker 2: Although you have to remember, you know, a property tax hammers a lot of people, sales tax.
Speaker 3: Sales tax.
Speaker 4: I think it's probably what gets a lot of people sure. How about the controversial Trump tax cuts from twenty seventeen and whether they should be extended or not. According to this, eighty five percent of Americans support extending the twenty seventeen tax cuts.
Speaker 3: Eighty five percent. It's a gift of million airs and billion ass. How is this a controversial issue?
Speaker 2: If the mainstream media was not what they are, could Democrats win a single election as they're currently constituted.
Speaker 3: I don't think so.
Speaker 2: They need some of the best wordsmiths. Well, actually most journalists are wordsmiths at all. They're parrots. But they need the power of the media colossus to polish their their poop if you will. I'm sorry, I just didn't want to use that common expression polishing a turd because it's disgusting. But that's said. But it's good though. It's illustrative, Jack, I mean, it really makes the point there's got to be a better doing.
Speaker 3: There's got to be a better one, is there? It got to be that doesn't include the T word.
Speaker 2: Thoroughly lipsticking the pig of their policies.
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 4: So three quarters of people agree with the statement the twenty seventeen tax cuts should be made permanent because businesses and families need stability of the tax code to plan for the future.
Speaker 3: Three quarters agree with that.
Speaker 4: Also, three quarters agree that tax cuts should be made permanent.
Speaker 3: Because taxes are too high.
Speaker 4: Three quarters of Americans think the Trump tax cuts should be made permanent because taxes are too high.
Speaker 3: Wow, did you hear the pot about the millionaires?
Speaker 1: Oh?
Speaker 3: You did? Oh you're rejecting it. I gotta get to that.
Speaker 4: Then, since you brought that up, do the spending, because you'll that fits in perfect what you just said. A majority of Americans admire the rich. Sixty two thirds disagree with the statement wealth should be taken from the rich and given to the poor.
Speaker 3: Two thirds of Americans disagree with that.
Speaker 2: Wow, this is a different country than the media would have you believe.
Speaker 3: I'd zastly different.
Speaker 4: Three out of five Americans strongly agree ninety percent strongly or somewhat agree that quote. There's nothing wrong with trying to make as much money as you can. Ninety percent strongly or somewhat agree with that.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: When asked specifically about billionaires, seventy one percent disagree that it's immoral for society to allow people to become billionaires. Seventy one percent don't agree with that statement. You hear it all the time from the AOC Bernie crowd, Elizabeth Warren crowd, and they put it on the news like that's you know, representing half.
Speaker 2: Of America, right right, Yeah, And anybody who does think we should make it impossible to you know, become a billionaire, you.
Speaker 3: Just you're so dumb. You are so dumb. We just need you to get out of the way, please.
Speaker 2: As if you come up with a great idea that one person likes and it makes you a dollar, that's fine. If a million people like that idea and give you a dollar, that's fine.
Speaker 3: But if a billion people like that idea and give you a dollar, that's wrong.
Speaker 4: Or to borrow again, you're just so dumb you need to get out of the way. Well, not near as many people agree with that as I thought. And I've been misled myself. And you know, we're in the industry and taking lots of media and read lots of polls, but I've been misled to think there that in modern America there were way more people that hate the rich and think something's wrong there that it seems to be true two thirds think wealth should not be taken from the rich and given to the poor.
Speaker 3: I'm sorry, I just didn't know. So.
Speaker 2: I think part of the reason that our perception might be a little warped is that even Some of my favorite conservative journalists are of the coastal elites forty and they're nice fellas, and they have great principles, but I don't think they know America and listen to say absolutely do not. This is going to sound awfully like a self backpadding, but I think as a couple of guys from you know, fairly average families in the Midwest, I don't feel like an elite anything. I've never hung out with those people. I wouldn't be comfortable there. I would much rather, you know, a drink beer with my neighbor, Larry the truck driver. I just and I think maybe we have that advantage, and we, all of us friends, have to trust our own perceptions instead of that of the bizarro funhouse.
Speaker 3: Mirror of the media.
Speaker 4: I know a lot of you already believe that the fact that eighty five percent of people say all that government spending has done nothing for them or made their lives worse is amazing something. Yeah, and you know over half of people say my taxes are too high. All that fitting together, how do we not get a government that spends less and keeps taxes low?
Speaker 2: Well, I think you know, part of the answer would be the swamp, which includes many Republicans and Democrats who have a absolutely enormous financial interest in keeping government huge.
Speaker 4: Right, there are solid majorities, and I could do more of than numbers, but I don't want to bore you to death. But the solid majorities of people that think it's the spending it's not the taxing. I mean that is that is a settled issue in this country. It's the spending, not the taxing, and we need to deal with it from a spending standpoint. So we're not getting the government we deserve on this front.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, so true. It's encouraging people believe that in the numbers that they do. It is discouraging that we are fighting to make any.
Speaker 3: Progress in reigning in the insanity.
Speaker 2: But right, yeah, because it's our duty is citizens, So I guess we keep trying.
Speaker 4: Sometimes it's barely, uh, you're barely able to believe that democracy works. I mean, you know, look at the order issue. That's what I've been saying for years. It's not controversy at all either, Like people want to secure border, but we haven't been able to do it in my entire adult lifetime, right, right, very frustrating. Yeah, yeah, it is nice job of those of you out there who agree that all this spending has made your life worse of anything.
Speaker 3: That's amazing.
Speaker 1: Armstrong see Armstrong and Getty show.
Speaker 2: Absolutely need a moonshot style effort to reform education in this country because it is absolutely killing us. Michael, it's a campus madness update, good and bad news editions, good and bad news, screaming, how's madness, you idiot, I'm campus.
Speaker 3: Oh my god, that's quite discream Yeah, no kidding.
Speaker 4: So disembovement figures into the story somehow, so well metaphorically speaking.
Speaker 2: So we'll start with some good news, really interesting piece about Tufts University, which is to the left of Trotsky Boston area. But there's a professor by the name of Hirsch there who teaches a class on American Conservatism that is always one hundred percent enrolled and extremely popular, and he a man of the sane center left, has them read Frederick Hayek's Road to Serve them at Ininran's The Nature of Government, and then has lefty writers assigned as well.
Speaker 3: That says, all right, let's talk about this issue.
Speaker 2: And it is a classic American education where you have to understand both sides before you say which one you're on, and he is systematically steel manning conservative arguments for the college kids. And the really encouraging part about this is the kids love it. That's interesting, and poll after pol has shown that a lot of college kids resent the cancel culture and the bully culture and the radical culture. But they just they're afraid or you know, intimidated into silence. And there's a lot more curiosity out there than I think you would think from looking at college camp.
Speaker 3: God, are we.
Speaker 4: Actually coming out of peak that? And we'll never have to deal with it again, at least in our lifetimes. I mean, did we just live through the pendulum swinging to the far end of that nuttiness?
Speaker 3: I share hope. So I don't know. I don't know. I'm a little afraid of it.
Speaker 2: Being like a sports team that you know, has a very bad beginning of the season, then they win six in a row and you think, all right, and then that is just a blip and they go back to being bad. I think there's so much of a fight to go on, But let me plunge on here.
Speaker 3: We can talk about this at length.
Speaker 2: A great piece in the Free Press about how all over the country including in some surprising places, educators are covering up for their own failures wholesale. We should have the best education system in the world, they write, We should have an education system that reflects us being a superpower. But there's no one with a straight face who can say that the United States has a world class education system. And that's from a higher up in the New Jersey Department of Education, now retired. But they go through place after place where because they are failing to meet any standard, they are systematically changing the standards, including this shock to me. In twenty twenty four, Oklahoma schools seemed to perform a miracle. They went from twenty four percent proficiency in reading to forty seven percent in two years.
Speaker 3: You set number, doubling the previous figure. You see that number in a year. You know something funky happen?
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, indeed, if it sounds too good to be true, that's because it was. In last year Oklahoma lowered its cut scores score a student needs to hit on a test to be considered proficient.
Speaker 3: Unbelievable, that's good hearts law. Oh yeah. Once once a measure becomes a goal, it ceases to be a good measure. Yep.
Speaker 2: Trend is also happening in New York State. After not a single eighth grader in the upstate city of Schenectady tested proficient in math in twenty twenty two, state officials lowered the scores the following year, Wisconsin lowered cut scores last year. Illinois is about to lower its scores, et cetera, et cetera.
Speaker 1: We did it.
Speaker 4: It's a lot of blue states, but Oklahoma shocked me. And we've done it in California a couple of times. Well, it speaks as much to the nature of bureaucracy as liberalism. Well, it's a good hearts law. I mean that seems to be a law no matter what you, no matter your politics, you come up with a goal, or you measure something. Then you come up with a goal, and then you just fudge to meet the goal, and so the measure doesn't work anymore.
Speaker 3: And that's it happens over and over again.
Speaker 4: I can come up with one hundred examples off the top of my head, because I think it's a fascinating aspect of the way the human brain works. But how are there not people raise their hands saying, we can't be lowering the standards. We need to raise the quality shield tradition.
Speaker 2: Yeah right right, lift up the children, don't drop the standards.
Speaker 3: That'd be a good slogan.
Speaker 2: Veering back to good news, the Department of Education on Friday, Cancer which still exists, apparently canceled fifteen million dollars in federal grants that were used to fund diversity programs at three universities in California, State, La, Virginia Commonwealth, and University of Saint Thomas and Minnesota. All had received giant, multimillion dollar grants, part of a billion dollars a billion that the Biden Education Department spent on diversity programs in America's schools, nearly half of which went to grants for race based hiring. That is, at least temporarily on the way out. Now back to bad news. Two stories here that are adjoined at the Hip Brown University Medical School that's one.
Speaker 3: Of your elite IVY leaguers. By the way, elite.
Speaker 2: I almost vomit when I say that about these universities. But they now give diversity, equity and inclusion more weight than excellent clinical skills in its promotion criteria for faculty raising questions. Duh about the equality of teaching and patient care at the elite medical school and underscoring how deeply deis penetrated medical education. Again, when they decide what faculty to promote, they now give DEI more weight than excellent clinical skills.
Speaker 3: I saw that over the week in medicine. I meant to mention on the air that is absolutely amazing.
Speaker 4: I was looking at the actual paperwork, the criteria, and really your plan for how you're answering the question of how you're going to get diversity, equity and inclusion into your.
Speaker 3: Your medical practice is.
Speaker 4: More important than your actual skills, right, That is how it's important.
Speaker 3: How is that even possible?
Speaker 1: The Armstrong and Getty Show, Yeah, Borjack or Joe podcasts and our hotlinks and Armstrong and get dot com