Speaker 1: What's going on on Rich de Biro And this is Rich on Tech broadcasting live from Los Angeles, coast to coast. This is the show where I talk about the tech stuff I think you should know. It's also the place where I answer your questions about technology. I believe that tech should be interesting, useful, and fun. Let's open up those phone lines triple eight Rich one oh one. That's eight eight eight seven four to two four one zero one. Give me a call. If you have a question about technology, email also open. Just go to Rich on tech dot tv hit contact. You'll also notice the website looks a little different, and if you're listening to the show live, you can hit the little light bulb icon up at the top to get the show notes in real time. So if I mentioned something you want the link, just hit that little light bulb at the top of the website. Rich on tech dot TV. We've got some great guests this week. Dave Malcoff, personal friend of mine and CBS News reporter. We'll talk about reporting on the Total Eclipse and his first hand experience. We've got Belkin CEO Stephen Maloney on innovation careers and sustainability in the tech space. Plus mobile X founder and CEO Peter Adderton. We'll discuss how the company is disrupting the wireless carrier space with AI.
Speaker 2: Well.
Speaker 1: Last week I spent the week in Hawaii on a much needed family vacation. It was amazing. The whole point was to bring my mom. She had never been to an island and it was her dream to go to an island. And so I said, you know what, We're going to Hawaii. And we actually had this trip planned a couple of years ago. But on the way out, and I know my mom's going to be embarrassed for me telling this story, she actually tripped over her suitcase on the way to get to the airport. So she had her suitcase in the hallway at her place and she just didn't remember that it was there. She tripped and got pretty pretty banged up, and so she could not go on the trip three years ago. So we redid the trip, brought her this time. We said do not put your suitcase in a main area, and she didn't. She made it. It was great. We had a fantastic time. I tell you that because I had You know, whenever I'm on vacation, I do try to disconnect but of course I have lots of thoughts in the process. So I did wear the vision Pro on the plane out there, and yeah, it was weird, just as weird as you might imagine. It was cool, and you know, putting it on was the weirdest part. Thankfully, we had the whole row to ourselves, between my whole family, and so it wasn't that strange to put it on next to a stranger. But once you get it on, you have to make sure that it's in this travel mode. Otherwise everything's going to be flying past you. Because it senses the movement. It feels like you are moving, so all the stuff inside is moving. Now. Thankfully Apple is smart enough to build in some software that figures out when you're on a plane, because it only moved for about a second before I said, hold on, do you want us to put this thing into travel? And I said yes, please. So I watched a TV show. Now, whatever I tried to download on Max did not work, so I was relegated to my apples Apple TV Plus show. I forget what the name of it was, Royal Palms or something, and it looked great. And the cool thing was I discovered you can actually decide where you want to sit in the movie theater when you're watching a show, so it had you can sit close up to the screen in the middle, in the back, or up on the balcony, and then you can say I want to sit left or right. So that was kind of cool and the show looked great and it really did take me off the plane and kind of into my own world. So no matter what seat you're in, whether it's a big seat a small seat, anyone's around you, you really don't notice. The other thing is I tried the in flight Wi Fi so Southwest that's what I flew on. They have just like you know, movies and TV shows that you can stream through their Wi Fi without paying, And I was like, huh, I wonder if that works inside like the web browser, And sure enough it did. The only thing I noticed with the Southwest WiFi was a it was very very slow. I was even able to do my email on the way back. On the way there, I didn't connect. On the way back, I did, and it was so slow I had to stop using it. And the other thing is that you can't swap devices. So I started on my computer and I was like, oh, it'd be nice to have my phone connected and I couldn't swap devices otherwise. Kind of interesting experience. Now, the bigger revelation I had when I was in Hawaii is that we are all contributing to job automation. Let me tell you what my thesis is. If you don't bring something uniquely human to your job, you are going to be automated out of your job. Let me say that again, If you don't bring something uniquely human to your job, you are going to be automated out of a job. Let me explain for starters. I tagged my own bag at the airport. I have never done this before, but you get to the airport typically now we are all checking in on those kiosks. Well, now the second step is it spits out a bag tag. So I am there as a flight attendant or whatever you call the people at the you know, helping you there, tagging my own bags like I'm literally an airline employee. Now how do I know how to tag a bag? And it took me a little bit, but I figured out you kind of take the sticker off, you put it on, you get it right. And I had to redo it a couple of times. But here I am checking bags in to an airline. How would I ever think that I would be doing that. But again, there is no human element that would make that process better. So it's automated, right. It's like clearly with all these bags that people are checking in themselves, it all sort of works out. So that's automated. On the plane, the flight attendants were so kind and so nice. They decorated the whole plane. We flow out on Easter. They decorated the whole plane with Easter eggs. They gave us candy, they gave us snacks, They were talking to the kids. They were so nice. My mom, who had never flown Southwest, said they are such a nice airline. They are so friendly, and I said, yeah, that's what will keep those people's jobs. Now, the pilot of the plane, I know nothing against the plight. They got us there safely. But I will tell you there are some pilots that sort of describe the flying process to you and some that just fly. The ones that just fly probably going to be automated at some point. The ones that are kind and say, hey, look we're flying over the Grand Canyon. Take a look outside the right of your plane, they will always be there because they bring something uniquely human to the experience. What are humans? What do we want? We want connection, We want a smile. Bobo every week comes to this show with a smile on his face and an attitude that you can't get from a computer. He will always have a job. There are some people at your work that are always saying, TGI Friday, Thank God it's Friday. On Monday, they're talking about looking forward to the weekend. They're wearing a shirt that says is it Friday?
Speaker 3: Yet.
Speaker 1: These are the kind of things that will be automated in the future, and we're all contributing to it because we're already doing this. Okay, we went to a restaurant. We went to a restaurant and the waiter comes up. The waiter is not nice, and they don't write down our order. Now I have a little pet peeve about waiters not writing down orders because I order my things very specifically. I want egg whites, I want them well done, I want this, then that whatever. So when someone doesn't write it down nine times out of ten, it's gonna be wrong when it comes to your table. So here's the difference. Why would I not want to order on an iPad. Now we're talking breakfast at a fast casual place. We're not talking a fancy dinner here, but breakfast. Why would I not want to order my breakfast off a tablet right when I get to the table because I want my breakfast fast, I'm ready to eat, I want my coffee. I don't need to wait ten minutes for a waiter to show up. I don't need to wait for someone to be rude to me at nine am when I'm just waking up. So what's the benefit there is none. You literally just need your order in and someone to run you your food. And we're already seeing robots running orders at restaurants. I was at a CPK where the robot came to my table with our order. Yeah, it's already happening. And again, as humans, if we don't mind that part of the experience, we are automating these jobs out of existence. Now again, when we were at a restaurant our final night there, we went to this amazing restaurant sort of like Japan meets Italy meets meets Hawaii. It was a great chef, brand new place, and the waiter was fantastic. What do we talk about the entire night was how great the waiter was. That waiter will always have a job. You see where I'm getting at here, touch screen systems. We were at McDonald's. We ordered on touch screen. We didn't need someone to take our order there. We just wanted to. And the kids love it, the digital natives as they call it, my kids, they grew up with this technology. No problem there. That job is already being automated out of existence. The order taker at McDonald's. Some McDonald's had been to you can't even order from a human being. It's already gone. Ah, what else? What else? What else? Oh? Other examples Peloton Right, took a Peloton ride this morning. What makes me want to take a Peloton ride versus some automated ride that I can get from a multitude of apps on my phone. The instructor. The magic of Peloton has always been the personality of the instructors, and they know it. People tune in for their favorite Peloton instructors. They will always have a job. There are millions of people out there working jobs right now that bring nothing to the table except being a human. You have to add something that's human for your job to not go away. DJs on a radio station. Some people love their favorite DJ. This goes for news anchors too. You can get your news read by an automated voice today. You don't even have to tune into this show. You can literally have the top ten techt stories read to you by a synthesized voice right now. What makes this different Listening for what I bring to the show, Listening to what your favorite DJ has to say, Listening for that human connection, that human experience. One more example. The house keep her at our hotel so kind. We built a relationship with this woman, unlike any relationship we've had with the housekeeper. By the end of the trip, not only was she getting a bigger and bigger tip every single day, she knew our kids' names, she was leaving, she was decorating our room. She was leaving notes for my children. Every time we saw her in the hallway, she'd say hello to my kids by name my mom. She knew when we were leaving, what we were doing, She asked where we went. She gave us first DIBs on pool toys that someone else left in their room, which, again, that is a human experience. That person will always have a job the rest of them. I don't know, maybe they're sending a roomba into the room starting, you know, maybe are there cleaning robots. Remember Rosie was from the Jetsons. Oh, one more example, before we go to break the taxi. We got into a taxi. So my wife gives me grief sometimes because I do things like the techie way all the time, right, And so I'm like, you know what, I'm just gonna wave down a taxi outside the hotel and have the taxi take us toward destination. We do that. The taxi driver, as soon as they hear my destination starts complaining about how short of a distance it is, and he's not happy to take us in that short distance. And my kids are sitting there and they understand the tension, and my mom and we're all just sitting there like, is this our fault that we're only going, you know, ten minutes away and not to the airport or whatever. And he's grumbling and grumbling and grumbling, and I'm sitting there thinking, this is why WEIMO is gonna take over. This is why I'd rather be in an uber where I call the car from my phone. I can pay for my phone, and with an Uber or a way moo you can set you know, do you want to talk? Do you not want to talk again? If you bring that human existence. I've had taxi drivers or uber drivers that are so good you don't want the ride to end because they're entertaining, they're fun. They bring something to the experience, bring something to the experience, and you will always have a job. Eight eight eight rich one oh one eight eight eight seven four to two four one zero one. So much to get to today's show. So glad you're with me. You are listening to rich on Tech. Welcome back to rich on Tech. Rich DeMuro here talking technology with you at triple eight rich one oh one. That's eight eight eight seven four two four one zero one. Website for the show rich on Tech dot tv feedback is open. So if you want to comment on my new thesis about how we're all automating jobs out of existence and how you can keep yours, let me know.
Speaker 4: Just go to the.
Speaker 1: Website and hit contact and I will hopefully get to it on the show. Sounds like Chuck and Pasadena has a comment on what I was just talking about. Chuck, welcome to the show.
Speaker 5: Thanks for having me Rich. Yeah, it was a fun experience. I went to that restaurant in Pasadena that where the robot makes the hamburger and fries.
Speaker 1: Oh Flippy, this is Flippy the robot. That makes sense. I did a story on this a couple of years ago. But now they've got a restaurant that actually you can go in and order.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's on Green Streams called Cali Express by Flippy. It's right on the corner, and it's pretty cool. It's a museum like experience where you walk in and yes, the food is awesome and interesting, but everybody goes there to see the robot make the cheeseburgers and the fries, and you know, while people are waiting there taking videos and pictures, and it's kind of a real fun experience. In the bonuses, the food is fantastic. You wouldn't think a cheeseburger or fries would be any better than you've ever had, but they're cooked at perfection. And I actually left the restaurant walk back and asked the guy the lone employee work, and they're why it's so good, and he chalks it up to AI and the fact that they've really got to dialed into how long to cook it and what temperature?
Speaker 6: Wow?
Speaker 1: And so do you think that this will become a trend where robots will be doing more of the cooking. I know we see at Chipotle they are experimenting with They have like a guacamole making robot, and I think they have a chip robot as well. And then I know Sweet Green is also experimenting. They have a location in Orange County, California for the non California listeners that makes these salads automated. So you know, Sweet Green is a salad place with a bunch of different mix ins and stuff, so you just choose what you want and the robot makes it. Do you think we're going to see this as a trend? Did you mind not having the human connection?
Speaker 5: No, That's why I winter was to see how well it worked. And I felt like you discussed you know, when I'm going into order my breakfast or have somebody glare at me because I'm not ordering enough or taking too long, or I'm there too early or too late. I don't need that. So I've always wondered why they can't have a And that's no offense the people, but you know, people slapping together a big mac you know, I've always wondered why that process in the back can't be automated, and now we know that it can. And you know, I think down the road will look back if somebody listens to the podcast many months or years from little wonder why we were so amazed. So I kind of wanted to see it while it's new and fresh, and I encourage anybody to go there and just at least check it out.
Speaker 1: All right, Well, I remember when I went there, it was pretty rough around the edges. They were just I mean, it was first day, but it was pretty cool, and it just goes to show that. And by the way, I think White Castle is also using Flippy in their process as well. And right now it's much more I'm seeing like a combination of humans and robots working together. But you can be guaranteed in the future it will be much more robots. Especially these companies, you know, they want to make money and they want to make more money, and so they're going to do everything they can to squeeze as much out of their profits as possible. So Chuck, thanks for the report from Pasadena. I appreciate it.
Speaker 7: Thank you.
Speaker 1: Thanks for listening to the show. Roku reports that the hack we talked about a couple of weeks ago is worse than they thought. So initially they said it was about fifteen thousand compromised accounts. Now they're saying five hundred and seventy six thousand user accounts were impacted, and so they've sent emails to a bunch of Roku users. You might have gotten one. The attack used the credential stuffing technique. This is where hackers find reused logins and passwords online and they just try those at roku dot com and in a lot of cases it worked. So Roku says in less than four hundred cases they made out with unauthorized purchases of streaming service subscriptions. We talked about that. And also they bought Roku hardware products using the stored payment methods. I did not know that aspect, so they bought like other Roku devices. So Roku has reset passwords for the impacted accounts. They've notified effective affected customers with email, and they will be implementing two factor authentication for all accounts. They should have done that from the beginning. If you don't have two factor enabled on your accounts, enable it. They said that the hackers did not get the credit card numbers, so they did not get those or complete payment details. But again this is still evolving. Or initially they said fifteen thousand compromise, now they're saying five hundred and seventy six thousand, and Roku has millions upon millions of users. So my advice the next time you log into Roku, make sure you use a strong, unique password that you generate just for that website, and definitely consider using a password manager. It can really help in instances like this. Eight a eight rich one oh one eight eight eight seven four to two four one zero one. Coming up, we're going to talk Eclipse. I know what's happened. Dave Malkoff, CBS News reporter was there. He's going to talk about his experience and I'll tell you the impact the eclipse had on Internet traffic. It's all coming up right here on rich on Tech. Welcome back to rich on Tech. Rich de Biro here hanging out with you, talking technology at triple A rich one oh one. That's eight eight eight seven four to two four one zero one. Website for the show rich on Tech dot TV. There you can sign up for my newsletter. New new episode what do you call it? New issue went out today, so you can read that. It's all the stuff I think you should know. Plus if you tap the light bulb up at the top, if you're listening to the radio show live, you can get in real time the notes and links for the show. So Rich on tech dot tv hit the light bulb, and if you want to send me something, you can just hit contact. So this past week was the total solar eclipse. I did miss it, unfortunately. I know I talked it up. I know I said I wanted to go. It just wasn't realistic. I was flying back from Hawaii the day before and it was really a tight turn to get anywhere to see this thing. But it did have an impact on Internet traffic nationwide and really a lot of reports from cloud flare. This was on April eighth, twenty twenty four. Traffic dropped in the US by eight percent and twelve percent at the peak of the eclipse compared to the previous week. States in the path of totality like Vermont, Arkansas, Indiana, Maine, New Hampshire, and Ohio experienced traffic drops of forty percent or more. What does this all tell us if there's something cool happening outside. We are ready to ditch our keyboards and go check it out. And I hope you did that without ruining your eyes. Now, someone who was there, good friend of mine, CBS News National correspondent Dave Malkoff. Dave, welcome to the show.
Speaker 2: Well thanks for having me Rich.
Speaker 8: This is the new sub segment called two TV News Geeks Geek out of had TV News Gear.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: I was gonna I was gonna call you a geek. I figured you'd be okay with that. You are geekier than I am. In fact, you're the person that made me I'll never forget. We were both working at k CAL nine and you showed me like you did like a what's in my bag? Before that was like a thing on YouTube, and you're you're showing me all this cool gear that you carry around. You're like, I can go live from anywhere with all of this. And ever since that day, my backpack has been triply heavy because I carry so much stuff in my bag because of you, Dave Malcoff, I have cursed you with the curse.
Speaker 2: Yes, yeah, it's it's it.
Speaker 8: And the funny thing is how that bag just changes over the years as the technology gets better, but I don't think anything gets lighter though. I think it's just as heavy as it was before, because as we swap out things, we swap in morse things that because of the technology that is available today that wasn't available, you know, fifteen years ago or so exactly.
Speaker 1: So true. Yeah, my bag has not gotten lighter, even though the gadgets have gotten smaller. I just carry more of them. So where were you for the total?
Speaker 8: I was in downtown Cleveland, and we're right between the Rock Hall of Fame. If you've ever been to downtown Cleveland, I grew up there. And then we're right between the Rock Hall of Fame and then there's the Science Center, the Great Like Science Center, which also has the John Glenn NASA Visitor Center that's now inside the Science Center, and then there's a Brown.
Speaker 2: Stadium that's right there.
Speaker 8: So I was right in front of the Glenn Visitor Center.
Speaker 2: With an astronaut.
Speaker 8: And so Steve Bowen has been to the International Space Station four times. He built it and then he got to live in it, so he went three times on Shuttle missions.
Speaker 1: This guy's been to space four times. That is a brave man that is a really My kids were asking me, like, Dad, if you got the opportunity, would you go to space? And I'm like, if it was on a rope maybe, like if it was guaranteed, Like I don't want to go on that at that little car from uh, you know whatever those things are in like Palm Springs, you know that like little cable car thing.
Speaker 2: Like, oh yeah, yeah, you don't want to go on that.
Speaker 1: I don't want to go on that. How am I going to go to the Moon or Mars? Oh my gosh, Okay, So what was this scene like? Was it just wild? And described to me? The experience?
Speaker 8: So the experience is really cool because I think I think for a couple of reasons, we spend a lot of time looking at our phones and kind of delving into not only our own personal bubble, but maybe like a political bubble that you're in and you don't really interact with people outside of those bubbles. But something celestial like this happening in our solar system that's maybe a once in a lifetime chance, maybe twice in a lifetime for anybody who lives long enough to see this. Uh, We're all just part of one big thing, and I think you rarely get that, maybe at a concert or something, but when when you're looking up at the star in the middle of our solar system and marveling at this weird coincidence where we have a moon and a Sun that appear to be the same size because of the distance between them, the Sun being four hundred times larger than the moon, but the moon being four hundred times closer to us. So when they move over each other, they cancel each other out except for the corona that's around that. And I'm telling you Rich, it is breathtaking to witness this and to see your sun at the middle of your solar system turn off for almost four minutes, and to see the corona and to see the the projections coming off of it where we could actually if you if you watch the full four minutes or three minutes forty nine seconds I think it was, you can see one of these from the side of the Sun just becoming a big loop because of the Sun's magnetic atmosphere that has in it called the corona. You can see this happen right in front of your eyes, and it's something you never get to see, and we all experienced it together, maybe like thirty thousand people. They were saying in Cleveland and then all over these areas that weren't supposed to get totality, but they did.
Speaker 1: Wow, that's amazing. Oh so some places were a little surprised they still got it. Interesting, I mean, it's really it's all math. I mean, that's that's another thing, like the fact that we can figure these out and when they're going to happen with such precision is also just miraculous in itself. It's not like we've ever measured the distance between here and the sun or the moon. I'm sure they have in some weird way.
Speaker 2: Ninety three million miles.
Speaker 1: Dave, you know too much right off the top of my head too.
Speaker 2: I didn't even look that up.
Speaker 1: This was your second one though, right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So it's and and ritual attests to this.
Speaker 8: There are weird things that happened to you when you're a TV news reporter that would never happen to you in real life. It's almost like we lived like the life of a superhero. And and and we're we're in disguise when we're just home with our family. But the first one, I was on a cruise ship with Bonnie Tyler who sings.
Speaker 2: Totally clips of the Heart.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 8: And she was singing it to me on the ship during a live shot and we were singing it together and uh. And then she went downstairs to a to a stage that these huge cruise ships are huge, so they've they've got a stage down there. And she happened to be with Joe Jonas of the Joe bren Jonas Brothers and and a d Nce and she was singing total eclips of the Heart to the rest of the ship right before totality happened. And and we all saw it together right there because it went from last time, it went from Oregon to South Carolina. If each draw the line in your head and then pops off the coast and then the meteorologist on board was able to tell the captain where to steer the ship to get not only into the path of totality but also outside of the clouds.
Speaker 1: Oh wow. Yeah, that's always an issue, the cloud cover. So when's the next one and are you planning already?
Speaker 8: Well, there is one in twenty twenty six, but you have to go to Iceland and there you could you can maybe see it in Raykovic. But but I think you only get like less than a minute of totality. But if you go up to and I'm gonna mess this up, Icelandic people are gonna are all.
Speaker 1: The people listening are really going to send me the angry emails.
Speaker 8: This Schnellfousness Peninsula, and I don't I don't know, you definitely didn't say that right. But I've been up there and there's this thing called Arnistappi. That's that's uh, that's this really cool uh hotel.
Speaker 2: And kind of village up there.
Speaker 8: But it's but it's far enough west on a peninsula that it's different than in in Reykivik, where you would only get a few, like a minute or so of totality. I think you get two minutes in in Arni Stuffy. I did look at the stopy cottages up there.
Speaker 2: Sold out.
Speaker 8: Now nobody can nobody can get a seat there. But but but I think you could rent a van or something. Maybe you could drive up there.
Speaker 1: There's also one in twenty twenty seven in Egypt, and it's going to be the longest duration six minutes twenty three seconds August second, twenty twenty seven. So I'm just giving you know, ideas for this Dave before we go, I want to I know you're, like you said, a geek self prescribed. Do you have any like apps that you love or anything you want to recommend that folks should check out.
Speaker 8: Oh yeah, there's a there's a few of them that I use all the time, and one of them is flight Radar twenty four. So I love looking at that because I'm kind of an aviation geek and I like looking.
Speaker 2: At where the planes are.
Speaker 8: And if you look at this radar, if you look at this flight Radar twenty four, if you see a plane flying.
Speaker 2: Above you, you can.
Speaker 8: See in real time where that plane is going, what the flight number is, where it came from, even if it's private aircraft.
Speaker 2: And you can also go into a view where you see.
Speaker 8: Out the window of the plane and a virtual view, and just to imagine how many planes are flying over the United States at once.
Speaker 2: It's really cool. And then another one that I use all the time is let me just see where is that one? Oh yeah, a radar scope.
Speaker 8: So this is live radar because I do a lot of weather and climate coverage and so when I'm driving around and I want to see what live radar is happening. Ahead of me on the road. I always tuned to a radar scope because it actually shows you the live radar from the NWS National Weather Service domes that are all over the country in different spots that they've got Doppler radar sites everywhere.
Speaker 1: Very very cool, Dave, real quick, How can folks find you online?
Speaker 8: Well, I am on I am on the thing that was formerly known as Twitter, and you can find me at Malcoff there and then but I am I guess I'm moving more to Instagram. So that's so that's uh, Malcoff News on Instagram, Malcoff News on TikTok, and you can find me on Facebook.
Speaker 2: Just just look up a Dave Malcoff. I think it's Dave News on Facebook.
Speaker 1: All right, Dave Malcoff, National reporter, national correspondent for CBS News, Thanks so much for joining me. Coming up on the show eighty eight rich one one eight eight eight seven four two four one zero one. I'm gonna tell you about the music. Listen to the music that comes back very closely. I'll explain what's going on today. You are listening to Rich on tech.
Speaker 5: Shut the.
Speaker 9: Collation, Tech Talk, Taslation. When youtune in June show. You know we do it right.
Speaker 1: The Tech Stream Olive Board. Welcome back to Rich on tech Rich Demiro here hanging out with you, talking technology at Triple eight the Rich one O one. That's eight eight eight seven four two four one zero one. So if you're wondering what's going on with the music this week, it's actually AI generated a new website called udio. Udio dot com was developed by former Google DeepMind researchers. It uses AI to create songs in less than a minute. You can type in the type of song you want, you can say if you want lyrics, you can even paste in your own lyrics and it will generate the song. So I generated a bunch of songs that were tech related, some with lyrics, some without. You can say you want it to be country or pop or whatever genre you want, and it's pretty wild. I mean, look, this is like second day, third day of this maybe for the public, and it's already pretty darn good. They've got big investors, will I am Common the guy who co created Instagram also a big investor. And it's free, so yes, it will be paid at some point. But right now you can log into this and if you are dabbling in music or you're curious about the AI music generation. This is probably one of the better websites that I've seen that does it. So I'll be playing the intro music throughout the show with courtesy of AI. And it's pretty wild. I mean, it's a cool thing because it's all unique, like that whatever you're hearing has ever been heard in the world before. Now, maybe the sound or the way it feels you you know, you might recognize, but the actual like it's put together on the fly, pretty pretty wild. If you want to link to it, Rich on tech dot TV hit the light bulb up at the top you can get a link to udo udio. Check it out, see what you think. Let's go to uh Michelle in Encinitas, California. Michelle, you're on with Rich.
Speaker 10: Good morning.
Speaker 5: How are you?
Speaker 1: Good morning? I'm doing fantastic. Thanks for the call. What what can I help you with?
Speaker 10: Okay, So, I'm I want to know what How does someone become administrator of your email address one that you created yourself on your own desktop? I was actually doing I'm pretty sure. Well my husband did this, my soon to be ex husband, and he made it. He said it was just a total accident. It was just a fluke, and I thought you can't just becomes just stumbled upon something like that, especially when I created it through Outlooks and these Gmail And then not only did I create it, I had my email and my email as a backup, and my phone number as a backup, another email and my phone number, and then he has this email and his phone number as now the backup and he's still administrator of that one, although I don't use it anymore. But it's been a battle for six months getting to the bottom of how someone can become administrator of someone else's email.
Speaker 1: Well, it sounds to me that he had the password, because that's really the only way you can't take over an email. Well, there's a couple of ways you could take over if you're you know, if you knew what you're doing, But it sound the easiest way is that he either gets the password or he knew the password and he added himself on the back end and replaced those two key pieces of information the backup email, the recovery email, and also the phone number for the account. So that would mean that it sounds like two factor authentication probably wasn't turned on originally with this account, and that's why he was able to evade any sort of like detection. Now that's just a theory. I think for most people, if you are generating a unique password and log in for your account, nobody's going to be able to take that over, especially if you have two factor authentication. Ninety nine percent of the hacks that we see are reused password. So they're using a password that they've gotten from a data dump somewhere online and they pop it into Gmail and lo and behold it works. Or they trick you into handing over that information, so they will present you with a fake login screen and you will log in thinking that it's you're logging into Gmail, but really you are logging into just a fake website that is now capturing your information and then letting the perpetrator see that on the back end, and then they go in and log in. Now it gets even more elaborate if you do have two factor authentication turned on. Sometimes they will present you with that fake website, you will log in, that code will come to your phone and they will literally call you and say, hey, we notice you're having trouble logging into your Gmail. We just sent you a code, please read us that code, and they will type in that code on their end and then log into your account, even bypassing that two factor authentication that you have set up to protect yourself. So that is why on almost every single two factor authentication text or email you get, it says do not share this with anyone. We will never verbally ask you for this, and that is true. So if anyone ever asks you, hey, can you give me that two factor code that we just texted you, unless you trust them one hundred percent. Like sometimes banks will do that as a secondary form of authorization. When you call them, they will say, Okay, we're going to text you a number. Read us that number. But generally, if it's an automated system, nobody's calling you for that phone number. But these people are tricky. They study this stuff. They study to see what we do and how we do it, and they look for the holes and they try to figure out how to get around it. Soress. My advice, Michelle is to regain that account as yours somehow. Either tell him, hey, look, I need this account and then go in and either delete that account. You said you don't use it, but I get rid of it. So that it's not an issue anymore. Thanks for the call today. Eight eight eight rich one oh one eight eight eight seven four to two four one zero one. Let me tell you this before we go to break here. LGTV owners, if you have an LGTV, you need to update your firmware. There is a four severe vulnerabilities affecting the software of four lg smart TV models. I'm not going to go through all the model numbers and things like that, but the point is if you have an LGTV, just go ahead, connect it to the Wi Fi if you haven't done that, and just update the and just make sure that it's up to date. And then if you're not using the smart features on it, you can disconnect it again. But the vulnerabilities, you know, it could be bad, so definitely go into your menu. If you have an LGTV, just update the firmware. That way you are protected. They have released a firmware update to address these security issues on these TVs. You are listening to rich on Tech. Welcome back to rich on Tech. Rich DeMuro here hanging out with you, talking technology. The phone number eight and eight rich one oh one eight eight eight seven four to two four one zero one. Yes, the music is cutting off early today. It is all AI generated, so it's it's a little different. It's from a website called ud O u d Io and it's free and it's kind of interesting. This one is Bobo's favorite tune so far. Website for the show rich on tech dot TV. If you go to the website, you'll notice it is completely new. Thank you for bearing with me the past couple of weeks. As I tweaked the website went through some changes, went some went through some differences, but I think I got it to a good place now. Now rich on tech dot tv has all the stories I do for TV. It's got my podcast there, it's got my TV segments, it's got the radio show, it's got the newsletter, and it has a way to contact me, so you can email me directly through the website. So if you haven't been, check it out rich on tech dot TV. I think you're gonna like it. Definitely sign up for the new letter. That is the best way to uh to keep in touch with everything that I do throughout the week. Rich on tech dot TV. Let's go to Jerry in Pennsylvania. Jerry, you're on with Rich.
Speaker 4: Hello, rich. First of all, I allowed to compliment your call streeter. Oh she has a memory. Second to Marry Lou Henner.
Speaker 1: Oh wow, I didn't know Marril Lou Henter had such a great memory.
Speaker 4: Elaine from Taksy correct.
Speaker 1: Okay, well that was a little bit before my time, but I trust you on that one. Yeah, okay, okay, Chim is fantastic.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 4: I have two computers.
Speaker 11: I have a.
Speaker 4: Desktop on laptop and I was able to get no problems until my laptop crashed and I had to reset my The whole thing problem is now on the desktop, I can get into my Discover card no problem by using the same credentials. Well, my laptop, it doesn't work it Keith says, I got correct the findings. Where should I look for the problem?
Speaker 1: Interesting? So is this an auto fill situation? Is it auto filling the the information for the password?
Speaker 4: It did?
Speaker 1: Ye?
Speaker 4: Use its I actually copied a thumb drive up, I copied the info from my desktop or does the thumb drive came down and put it into my laptop and pasted it in there and it still kicks me out?
Speaker 1: Okay, So I think there's a there's got to be a character in there that is not like a rogue character. So sometimes when you copy and paste across things, it could pick up a character or two. You know, depending on how you exported, there could be a space in there. Just there's a lot of things that that may be wrong there. So my advice a couple of things to do here to try to figure this out. Number one, you should try using a private browser window first off, to try to log in. So there there's a couple of things that interfere with logins. A lot of times. It's an ad blocker that will mess with a like if you're ever having trouble with any website, these are the things that could be going wrong. Number one, an ad blocker that could be keeping some key information off of that website. So disable the ad blocker, refresh the website, and try again. So that's the first step. Number two, Basically it's all your extensions. Any extension could potentially interrupt a web page depending on that interaction with that extension. So that's why I always try a private browsing window first. So use the private browsing window. So go to file new If it's Chrome incognito window, use that to log into the website first and if that still doesn't work, and then obviously type in the password. So figure out what this password is for this site, write it down somewhere or whatever, and then type it in manually. Sometimes you might have the capslock keyon. There could be a lot of things that might go wrong in that password process, so make sure you're typing it in and then see if that works. If that doesn't work, sometimes it's the cookies. So if you have third party cookies blocked on a website, which I do, that means that sites can't track you from site to site. That could interfere with your login. But it's mostly And the other thing is is really a VPN. So if you're using a VPN, sometimes sites don't like that, especially secure websites like a Discover site. They do not like VPNs because someone could be running a VPN that might be nefarious and doing something wrong and they want to evade detection, so they might use a VPN. Now I'm not saying every website, but these are the things that I've encountered over the years that would impact my login. But ninety nine percent of the time, if it's a copy and paste situation, I'm adding some sort of extra letter or a space to that log in. Or sometimes when I when I actually exported all my passwords from an old password manager, there was a bunch of random characters that did not make it properly, and so I forget what the characters were. But I know if you know like Unicode or all this stuff, like the technical stuff, you would know these characters. But every time there was like a specific character, whether it was an I don't know, if it's like a semi colon or something, it would change it to something else. So just make sure that you're entering the right password and that should take care of it, especially in that incognito mode. And if it works there, you know it's working on that laptop. Now you just have to get it to work on your main browser. But good question, Jerry. Thanks for the call today from Pennsylvania, and have a great day. Let's go to Virginia in Utica, New York, Virginia. You're on with Rich Hi.
Speaker 2: Rich Hi.
Speaker 12: Question is about AOL In the beginning of time, I opened up five email accounts, three for myself and two.
Speaker 13: For my daughter.
Speaker 1: Okay, was that like a present for her? Was that like a birth present? When she was born. You open them up or what?
Speaker 13: No?
Speaker 8: When I ope?
Speaker 12: The AOL account is that I could have five sot it one account, got it? Okay, your thoughts on AOL versus I also have a Google account.
Speaker 1: I'd switch to the Google at this point. I mean, I get a lot of emails from people that still use Aol. Maybe not as much anymore, but you know, there are Look, there's nothing wrong with it. I just think there's a better email experience out there, and I think Google has the best. So it's searchable, it's simple, it's not cluttered. You know, I watch people that are logging into their AOL email. I'm not going to name names, but I know some some people pretty close to me that still use that, and it's it's a messy experience. It's not very good. It's just it's not clean. It's not nice. And honestly, I don't want to be like the person that says having an AOL email address kind of reveals a lot about you. But you know what I'm talking about, right, Virginia. When you when you tell people when you're at the doctor's office and you're like, what's your email? And they're like, You're like, at a well dot com. You know, you get that little look, you know, like, are you.
Speaker 12: Allowed to two different.
Speaker 4: Ones at Google?
Speaker 12: So you can't, you know, one for shopping and one for important stuff.
Speaker 1: Okay, So what I would do in that case is Google has this neat thing that you can add a plus sign to any email address. So, for instance, if your email address is uh, you know Virginia, you know, Virginia A at gmail dot com, you can type that into a website. And let's say you go shopping on Wayfair. You can type Virginia A plus Wayfair at gmail dot com and that will still come through to your Gmail as a regular email address. And you can do that unlimited amount of times. So let's say you sign up for the rich on Tech newsletter, right, you can you can type in and you say, I don't trust this rich guy with my email address, right, so I'm gonna give him a an email that's a little bit more disposable. So you can type in Virginia plus rich on Tech at gmail dot com and that will come to your standard Virginia at gmail dot com email address. You see what I mean. So anything after you can add a plus sign to your email address along with any letters you want, and that will be a separate email and it will all come to your regular inbox. Now here's the magic of that. You can now, of course they don't have your real email address, so if you're on a list, you can just go ahead and filter that email address to trash if they keep emailing you with you know, you can't figure out a way to unsubscribe, or you can use it to filter that into different things, so you can you know that all your shopping emails are Virginia plus shopping at gmail dot com, and you give that to Macy's and you know, home Depot and whatever you sign up for, and so it can help you organize. So it's a neat little thing that's sort of built in. There's also a bunch of websites that can that can help you generate an email that you just need temporarily. So if you're using Gmail and you just need an email address to like sign up for something shared this last week on the show. But it's called ten minutemail dot com and that makes up a temporary email address that you can use to let's say, you know, has this ever happened to you? Where you want to get like a twenty percent off coupon, but you don't really want to sign up for the mailing list, so you go to this website ten minute mail dot com. You give them that email address that they generate on the fly, and you can check that email for ten minutes on that website and you can get that that coupon code or whatever you need, and then you don't even have to do anything. It just deletes after ten minutes.
Speaker 12: Okay, all right, so those are some of the close my account.
Speaker 1: Oh, closing AOL. Okay, So there's a website that I like. It's called just delete me dot x y z, And if you go there and you type in AOL, it's actually quite easy. A account gets deactivated for a waiting period of thirty to one hundred and eighty days depending on your country, and then it's permanently deleted, and it gives you the link to delete that email address. So the link is, let's see here, it's uh yeah, it goes to like a special dashboard, my dashboard dot oath dot com. So you can use that link, but you can go to this website just delete me dot x y z, and that will give you the direct link to delete your AOL, and not just for AOL, but for any website. So, and I don't think there's really an issue with keeping the AOL if you want to just keep it alive for a while, like, there's no real reason to to delete it immediately.
Speaker 12: Does it delete my daughter's accounts too, if.
Speaker 1: They're all linked up under the same account. Yes, it would impact her account as well, So all right, I have to find out. Okay, so maybe you just switch to Gmail and then she can stick to to what she's got with AOL eventually.
Speaker 12: Yeah, okay, all right, your thoughts on a beast. I keep paying for all these and MS? Is it necessary to have all those?
Speaker 1: Uh you're paying for a vast?
Speaker 14: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know, a Vast is actually highly rated. I have no problem if you're If you're using that and you're comfortable with it and it feels like it's a good price. They do offer a free level of SERVI if you're If you're happy with it and you feel like it's protecting a rachine, I think it's okay. I think it's one of the better ones. If you mentioned another brand that I don't like, I probably would say switch or downgrade, But I think if it's if you're keeping it up to date and you feel protected, I'd say just stick with it, just.
Speaker 12: Go ahead and pay for it. Okay, alrighty, thank you, rich I appreciate it, all.
Speaker 1: Right, Virginia, thanks for the call today from Utica, New York. Coming up, I'm gonna tell you what Meta is doing when it comes to messages to teenagers and nude images. Eighty eight rich one on one eight eight eight seven four two four one zero one. You are listening to rich on tech.
Speaker 6: Ud I found my bone buzzing off the table.
Speaker 11: On my worn out.
Speaker 4: Oh no, it's said no service now on this and calls b locking old.
Speaker 8: Is this?
Speaker 5: Say?
Speaker 1: Yes, I generated country tech song. Yes it is because I generated it. I said, write me a song about tech issues in a country way.
Speaker 15: It's all again.
Speaker 1: Eight eight eight rich one on one eight eight eight seven four to two four one zero one. The website for the show rich on tech dot tv. Uh, sign up for the newsletter. Check out the websites brand new and if you want links to the show. So, for instance, we just had a great question about deleting old accounts and things. I mentioned a bunch of resources in that Gmail hack when you go to the website, just click the light bulb up at the top for the real time links to anything that you hear about. Let's see Meta this week introducing new tools to combat sex tortion and also new images on its platform. Now, this is primarily meant to protect teen users. So there's a new feature in Instagram DMS that if you're sending or receiving nude images, it will blur them out by default, and if you're trying to send or receive these, it will ask you to think twice. So if you try to send a nude image, it will say hold on, you know that this is out there forever in the world, And if you're receiving one, it will say, hold on, do you want to see this for real? Because it's you know, it's got some explicit stuff going on in it. So nudity protection will be turned on by default for teens under eighteen. Adults will also be encouraged to enable the feature. And if you're wondering about privacy, it actually all happens on device. So they've downloaded some sort of AI algorithm to the Instagram app that can detect nudity and it scans your photos as they're going out or going in or as received, and it will figure out if there's nudity in those pictures. So this is a great first step. I think that this is smart. I think that obviously, these tech companies are in a very precarious position here because they don't want to be regulated, and they know that that regulation is coming, so they're trying to do as much as possible, or I should say as little as possible. That they seem like they're doing a good job to protect people, but in reality, you know, do they really care, Probably to a certain extent, But what they want is for people to be on these platforms as much as humanly possible. We've mentioned that before. But I do think this is a good step because, you know, teens. It's interesting because this whole sending nudes thing is a way of the world at this point for teens and adults. There are a lot of people that think that this is the way that you get someone interested in you. This is what you do when you start dating. And if you're an adult, you know, look, that's your prerogative. But if you're a teen, you're still learning the ways of the world. And this sextortion section of it is an interesting twist because a lot of times teens will be pressured into sending a nude image to someone and then they will, you know, basically that person says, hey, you got to now pay me or else I'm going to show this to people, and that could lead to a lot of terrible, terrible things, and it does every day. I mean, just search sextortion in Google News and you'll hear stories about this all the time. Of course, we're also hearing stories about the AI generated nude images that teens are now making of their classmates and sharing them around schools, and that's a whole other thing that is beginning to happen and will just continue to happen. So I think this is smart. I think the smartest part about this is that it is enabled by defall, and if you're receiving that nude image, it is blurred out so that you have the option of deleting it or blocking it, or never looking at it in the first place. So good job there, Meta for doing that. But of course, you know, let's go to John in rose Meee. John, you're on with rich Hey rich Hey question? Sure?
Speaker 3: Ye trying to you know, as we get tons of business cards all the time trying to scan them into the Apple Phone contact app. What what would be your recommendation for the best app?
Speaker 1: None of them. They're all horrible. I have never come across a business card scanning app that I like. I've tried them all. I don't even bother anymore, to be honest, they're just all horrible. Have you tried some?
Speaker 3: I've tried some before, that little that little gadget where you just push it in and scans it, but it's just it's yeah, it just doesn't read it well.
Speaker 1: It never gets it right. So with that said, I'll tell you some of the top apps out there, but you can try them out. But cove co o v ve is one of them. Card a hq is another card hqbiz dot com. Let's see there's another. See ever Note also does it. But honestly, every single time in the past that I've ever tried one of these things, it always gets it wrong and I end up just typing in the information myself. I think you're almost better off. You know what John is scanning like taking a picture of the card, and then you know how the iOS now has like the text ocr like kind of feature I don't know if you've seen that, but you can. When you take a picture on the iPhone or Android, it puts up a little I in the corner that will put all the text where you can highlight it and copy and paste. I feel like that's almost a better way of putting it into your contacts. It's a little more manual, but I find that that cops better anyway. If you have a thanks for the call. By the way, if you have a recommendation for a great business card scanning app, give me a call. Eighty to eight rich one oh one eight eight eight seven four to two four one zero one. Welcome back to richehon Tech Ridge.
Speaker 16: You're hanging out with Utah to all Bridge one.
Speaker 1: That's eighty game seven two World one.
Speaker 9: Then this week done that Big del Tech Week.
Speaker 1: Seven weeks Major. You probably know them for things like they're cables and charging accessories. They're based in El Segundo, California, and this week they held an event called Spring Fling. This was a fun career event for high school students. I love this kind of stuff. They had about one hundred kids on hand to learn about jobs in the tech industry. Take a behind the scenes tour and even meet people from cool companies like Google. First Up, I talked to Belkan CEO Steven Maloney. What is Belcan all about.
Speaker 17: We're an accessories company. We enhance people's lives through technology. We make products that you use every day that you may not even think about. Chargers and cables and screen protectors for your phones, docs and other things that are tech related.
Speaker 1: In a world of sort of Amazon, you know, search for something, something's cheaper, how do you compete with all of that?
Speaker 17: Boy, you're in you're asking the right question to me, because we've spent our entire existence trying to be a differentiated company. Right so we've we're standing in our Elsigondo facility right now here in El Segundo. We've invested in design capabilities, engineering capabilities, and competencies. We think that makes us a differentiated company. We do everything under one.
Speaker 1: Roof in house ourselves.
Speaker 17: So you can find lots of cheap imitations out there, but Belcan stands for quality and that's what you get when you buy a Bulkan product.
Speaker 1: Why open up your facility today to these students.
Speaker 17: Pilcan has invested a lot over the years in things.
Speaker 6: There's a few things we really care about.
Speaker 17: We really care about technology, so we've got an R and D facility here with lab space and engineers that are working every day to bring great products to market. We also care about the environment, so sustainability is really important for us, and our products are reflecting that in the products that we're shipping right now. We also care about the communities that we're in on site. In this location, we have a campus for portal learning that we've invested in where students have a chance to get competency based learning. What we wanted to do today is open it up so these students who we have access to facilities like ours to be able to learn about what they can do in their careers going forward and figure out what they wanted to do with their lives and how they position themselves for the future.
Speaker 6: What is the outlook in the.
Speaker 1: Tech world right now for students.
Speaker 17: Yeah, I think it's really exciting and it's an exciting time to be interested in technology.
Speaker 6: It's changing and growing every day.
Speaker 17: There's always going to be the need for new thinking and new ideas, and I think that people that are interested in technology there's gonna be endless opportunities for them to find something that they love, and of course I think that's the most the most important thing. You find something that you love, you lean into it. Technology is going to be there and it's going to continue to evolve, and I think there's a lot.
Speaker 6: That youth can bring to that in the future.
Speaker 1: Do they get into coding, do they get into design, do they get into Where do they start?
Speaker 17: Boy, that's a really great question, because I think there are so many opportunities in technology. I think you named a bunch there For me. I think it starts with finding what you love. If you love to tinker with things, maybe electrical or mechanical engineering is something of interest for you. Finding what you love and then leaning into that, I think is where you should go because there's endless opportunity in this space.
Speaker 1: Does AI play a role in your business at this point.
Speaker 6: Yes, of course it does.
Speaker 17: I think it's it's interesting to see how A is growing and evolving. We have a lot of machine learning that we do with some of our products, including finn which is a water based management technology that we make, So we have that billions of data points that we've collected there.
Speaker 6: We're doing more and more every day.
Speaker 17: We've launched products recently that have auto tracking technologies incorporated into them that are leaning that direction.
Speaker 6: I think we're all very, very curious to know how AI is going to evolve.
Speaker 17: I don't think anybody really knows what it's going to mean for the future in technology, but there's no doubt it's.
Speaker 6: Here and it's going to continue to grow.
Speaker 17: We're really pleased to be a part of this sort of experience where we have a chance to enable opportunities for students to be able to think about their futures.
Speaker 6: We're not going to stop doing that.
Speaker 17: As Belkan, We're proud to be part of the community here in Southern California.
Speaker 6: So yeah, we're really pleased to be able to host an event like this.
Speaker 1: Did you ever have a moment in your past when you attended something or inspired by something and it helped your future?
Speaker 9: Sure?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I was.
Speaker 17: Really fortunate when I graduated from ucr I and I went to school here in southern California. I wasn't too sure what I was going to do, and we had simple career fairs at our university, and I attended a couple. I think it helped me understand what I wanted to do and what I probably didn't want to do, so I leaned into that and I was able to get my start in finance at first. But then understanding in southern California, there's a lot of technology innovation startups all around, and I leaned in one into one of those, and it kind of, you know, was the path of the beginning of the path to where I am today.
Speaker 1: I'm going to put you on the spot here, so get ready. Do you have a favorite product that Belcan makes that you use and love?
Speaker 17: Sure, the list is long. The products that I love right now. The auto tracking stand Pro is the one that we just launched. I love it because it integrates software, hardware, and firmware all in an experience that's really innovative and I think totally differentiated.
Speaker 1: We're excited to see where that product's going to go next. I spoke with Elisa Summer O'Hara. She has an interesting background. She studied theater for undergrad then she worked for a little bit, then she made a switch. She went back to grad.
Speaker 6: School and went into the tech field.
Speaker 1: State of the tech world right now for people that are wanting a job in technology, is this still a good place?
Speaker 2: Absolutely?
Speaker 14: I mean tech is always changing, so I think that now is as exciting a time as any other time, especially with AI. Inevitably, we need more people with different skills and understanding and tech, and I think that will only continue.
Speaker 1: And what does Google get out of being at an event like.
Speaker 14: This, Well, for me, because I work on our education team, it's so great to spend some time with students and hear from them about what they're thinking about how they're using our technology in schools. I probably learned more from them today than they learned from me, although I hope I gave them some advice as to careers in tech or ways they can think of about following their curiosity.
Speaker 1: So tell me about that first part, careers in tech? What do you tell them?
Speaker 14: I would say that the types of careers in tech are really varied. I am not a technical person in my role, but I work very closely with our product and engineering team. I think we need all sorts of people who are passionate about technology and the impact that it can have, and we need a lot of different skill sets and you can come to a role like this from many different angles. One thing that I really appreciate about my career is that I've been able to follow my curiosity learn new things, and especially in technology, the skills you have today are not the ones that you're going to need in five years, So following that curiosity is really important. I actually had a conversation with one of the students who came up. He asked me, he wants to study computer science, and he has offers from Cornell, cal Poly and USC, And he asked me where he should go to school, and whether computer science was even a good idea now considering what's happened with Ai. And first of all, I certainly don't know where he should go to school. But when you're thinking about whether computer science is a good thing to learn, I think the thing you learn in school is more how to think right. And there are fundamental skills in addition to that from a quantitative perspective potentially or from a communications perspective. But what computer science is today is not going to be what you're doing tomorrow. But having those fundamental skills and really having rigor in your thinking is really what's important.
Speaker 1: What's the biggest question you get from people about working at Google.
Speaker 14: I would say the biggest question I get is how do I get a job at Google. I feel really privileged to have this job and be able to lead the team that I lead. I think there are a lot of people who think Google is an amazing company. We have so many products that people love, and it is an excellent place to work. So that is the biggest question I get, and I think biggest. My answer to that question is almost always, well what are you interested in? Because we have so many different people with so many different skill sets, and I think being able to understand what skills you have and how you can apply them are really what will get you to where you want to go, whether it is at Google or another company.
Speaker 1: There you have it, follow your curiosity and see where it leads to. I love meeting people at these types of events, especially the students and also the people that work at these tech companies. They all have such varied interests in backgrounds. It really is fascinating to see how it all comes together. Okay, more rich on Tech coming your way right after this.
Speaker 6: If you have a.
Speaker 1: Question for me, give me a call. It's triple eight rich one oh one. That's eight eight eight seven four to two four one zero one. You are listening to rich on Tech.
Speaker 16: Welcome back to Rich on tech Rich tamiro here hang out with you talking technology at triple eight Rich one oh one.
Speaker 1: That's eight eight eight seven four to two four one zero one. The website for the show rich on tech dot TV. There you can sign up for the newsletter. Just had a new issue today, So if you're not reading that, get on board. It's pretty cool. You just pop in your email address and you'll get an email for me about that. Let's see what else can you do there? You can email me from the website. You can see the stories that I do on TV. You can learn more about this radio show. Subscribe to the podcast. It's a one stop shop rich on tech dot TV. Let's go to Christina in Long Beach. Christina, you're on with Rich.
Speaker 13: Hi.
Speaker 18: I need to get a new cell phone. I have an Android now and I need to save a voicemail. It's a very special voicemail. I'm wondering how I can do that if I can transfer it and also an on a side, I've been saving this voicemail saved safe face, and then I can't find it on the regular voicemail call. But then I look in the files and I have seen it there, so that's kind of like a second question. Right now, it's not saved underneath my voicemail, but prior I used to look in the some kind of voicemail file and I found it. I'm like, how can I How can I send it to my new phone or send it to myself in a text or an email and downloader on my new phone.
Speaker 1: Okay, well the first the first stop is, well, there's a couple ways to this. Number one. The easiest way, you know there is share. There is a way to save voicemails on the visual voicemail apps. I'm both Android and iPhone, so I'll start with iPhone. I know that's not what you asked for, but you know there's other people that use it, and so so if you're inside the voicemail tab on your phone, tap a voicemail and that will bring up a whole new kind of screen and you'll see that familiar share icon. You tap that share icon and you'll see there is an option to save, so you can save it to your files, or you can share it out to you know, Dropbox or your Gmail or whatever you want for safekeeping. So that's number one. Now on an Android, the app is you know, there's many, many different androids out there, so it's gonna be a little bit different depending on them. But you said you use a Samsung. They have an app called Voicemail. You tap that voicemail app and once you get in there and you see a voicemail, you can either press a hold on that voicemail or there may be three dots. But you again, there will be a menu for that message, and there will be a share icon as well, and so you can use that to share out the voicemail to another app like Dropbox or your email account or whatever. It will be an audio file. There's also a way to look for your voicemails on your phone. So if you go into the my files app the internal storage, there should be a folder for visual voicemail, and so that's another place you can find it. So there's a lot of different ways to do it. The other thing you could do, Christina, if none of these options work, is just have a friend hold their phone near yours, play the voicemail out loud, and have them record it using their phone. And that's kind of like the easiest method that anyone can do without a lot of technology, and it'll still save an audio recording of that voicemail?
Speaker 3: Okay?
Speaker 18: Can I about the voicemail app? Is this something I download? Or I mean I go to voicemail on.
Speaker 10: The phone app?
Speaker 18: Right, know, the three dots on the top. Is that going into my voicemail app? Because I'm you haven't seen a share button or any or menu or anything.
Speaker 1: Okay, So if you search your phone, you know how to search your phone On the Samsung you swipe up and then tap up or says search and search for voicemail. You should have a voicemail app, okay, and that is a visual voicemail app.
Speaker 10: Okay.
Speaker 18: So I open it up and then look for a menu at the top, and then there should be a share icon there.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So look for your list of messages. Find the message that you're trying to save. It should be in this list. Now you may have to refresh a little bit, but you know you can scroll through that list and find the message and then find that share icon and save it to your files or share it out. Are you seeing your list of messages inside the voicemail app?
Speaker 18: I haven't tried it yet.
Speaker 1: Oh you're on the phone, okay, so that's probably why. But that's the way to do it, and so there's Look, there's definitely a way to save these are just audio files. There is a way to save them. And I get this question very often from people that have, you know, a loved one that left them a message or something like that, and they want to keep it forever. So again, there are many, many, many ways of doing this. Like I said, the easiest way is to just put your phone on speaker, play the voicemail, and have someone else record it and nearby with their phone and then send you that file. That's if you can't figure out any other way of doing this. But if you want to get the actual real file, there is a way to retrieve it, both on iPhone and Samsung. So those are the methods. But play around inside that visual Voicemail app and you should find a way to export that file. What was did you have a second question? Was that a second question? You asked?
Speaker 18: Oh, thank you? Well, my second question is I've been saving this voicemail forever. And by the way, it's just someone who passed away, so sorry to thank you.
Speaker 10: It was my boyfriend, sad.
Speaker 18: But anyway, I've been saving it and then all of a sudden it's not on the regular voice app.
Speaker 10: But I would.
Speaker 18: Find it in the files again and then and then it's weird. It would still be in my audio file in the audio files, but not on the voicemail app.
Speaker 1: Well, if they get archived, they do just go to the audio files inside that my file, so that could be what happened. And after a certain period of time, I'm not sure you press the archive, but maybe at auto archived. But you know, voicemails in general, they are not it's not like a guaranteed system to live forever. So it's you know, I do get a lot of emails from time to time from people that have lost a voicemail because they thought it would stay there forever. They switch carriers, they switch whatever. Typically they will stay in the background sometimes but not all of the time. So it really just depends. But I would get this voicemail at least, do like today, just do a recording of it, like I mentioned, with someone else's phone, like a friend's phone. Just do that just so you have it and then you can delve a little bit deeper. But there's definitely ways to save those voicemails so that you can have it for forever. Christina, good luck and keep me posted. So if you if you're successful with this, please send me an email on the website. Rich on tech dot tv. I want to hear the update. So okay, thank you, thanks for the call today, appreciate it. Let's go to uh Sam in Sherman Oaks. Sam, you're on with Rich.
Speaker 5: Yes, I'm looking for a indoor TV antenna that's good for just for mainly forgetting local channels.
Speaker 1: Okay, Well, we actually interviewed the CEO of a website called Antenna's Direct. I've been recommending them for oh my gosh, like probably fifteen years at least. At this point, they actually bought another company, so they bought the other company that I recommended as well. So it's all in one. But I would go to their website and depending on where you are, you put in your zip code on this website. You're in Sherman Oaks, you said, not sure the zip code there, but I'll just put in a random LA zip code here.
Speaker 19: Zero one, nine to one.
Speaker 1: For zero one, okay, nine to one for zero one. So you pop in that zip code and it will see it will show you like where you you know, the channels that you can get where you're located, and you know the antennas that are trying to beam it to your house. So you can tap view antennas and it will show you the suggested antennas for your location. And so for you, it looks like you need an indoor amplified or an attic one UH and they have those ranging anywhere from thirty three dollars up to one hundred and fifty nine dollars. And it gives you all of the channels that you are able to receive and how far away those channels are broadcasting from you, so that you can understand how much of a signal. But in your area, you're in a very good area. The signals are strong for pretty much every single channel that I'm seeing on this list of over there's a lot of channels here. You have one hundred let's see, well, anyway, there's a a lot of channels thirty three transmitters within seventy miles of you, and some of those have obviously more than one UH station on those channels. So it looks like you're in a pretty good place there in Sherman Oaks to get these to get these over the air signals. So again the website Antennasdirect dot com and Tennasdirect dot com. I'll link it up at Richontech dot TV. All right, coming up, I'm gonna explain, oh my pizza error, why I ended up with two pizzas last night thanks to the magic of technology. You are listening to rich on Tech. Welcome back to rich on Tech. Rich DeMuro here hanging out with you, talking technology at Triple A rich one on one eight eight eight seven four to two four one zero one. If the music sounds a bit unusual today, that's because it has been generated completely by AI. I used a website called udio udio dot com. You type in what you want and it will generate a song. You can even paste in your own lyrics. You can say whatever you want and it will generate a thirty second clip. You can make it longer, you can remix it, you can change the lyrics, whatever you want to do. It's pretty wild. Some big backers of this website, which just launched this week to the public, and this is the new reality, folks. We are going to see more and more of these things that used to be done by highly creative people, at least the first draft perhaps done by AI. That's design, that's writing, that's video audio photos. It's pretty wild. Do you want to wish a happy birthday to call screen or Kim? It is her birthday this weekend, so she is going to be partying all weekend to celebrate. So happy birthday, Kim. I love that we get. You know, a lot of people know Kim from the call screening when they call in, so she's kind of gotten a little little name for herself on this show and of course the previous show as well. Let's go to Ben in. I don't know if it's La Louisiana. Ben, you're on with Rich?
Speaker 5: All right, Rich, I'm from La actually, okay, perfect, Los Angeles, got it.
Speaker 20: So I have a ten year old MacBook. I need to basically replace it, said the point where I can't update any softler. So I was wanting any recommendation. It's just for personal use, not doing anything to major with the just.
Speaker 1: You just need a laptop. Yeah, how much do you want to spend?
Speaker 4: You know, I know MacBooks, so I'm about like three three.
Speaker 1: Four three or four thousand.
Speaker 20: I know how a MacBook. They're at Apples, Yeah, yeah, I want to back. I'll have Apple products.
Speaker 1: Okay, So you want and you have you have three to four thousand budget for a MacBook Yeah, okay, well, I mean get the top of the line, get the best MacBook Pro you can afford. I'd go with the uh uh sixteen inch MacBook Pro and get the best specs that you can for three thousand bucks. I meant you kept your last computer for ten years, so I would you know it sounds like I mean, even if you do the math, if you keep this one for another ten you're talking, you know, three hundred dollars a year. That's three hundred divided by twelve, that's twenty five bucks a month. And I'm not I'm not talking payments. I'm just talking because I don't recommend, you know, payments at all. I do recommend buying this if you can outright, and then I'm just saying how much this kind of costs you over those years because you're using a law. But anyway, sixteen inch MacBook Pro. They just came out with the the M three chips. I would get one of those, the uh, you know, the base model for that. You're talking twenty four to ninety nine that gets you the sixteen inch screen. Let's see what kind of specs they give you for the drive and stuff like that.
Speaker 20: Do they have one with a touch screen?
Speaker 1: They do not. And I'll be honest, every time, I'm getting more and more upset with Apple because I test all these other Windows computers that have all gone touchscreen, and it's it's pretty nice to have that feature. I'm testing a sixteen inch Samsung right now, and it's got a gorgeous screen and it's touchscreen, and it is slick, and it's it's basically Samsung's answer to the MacBook Pro, and it's it's really really nice. That's the Galaxy Book four series. But again, you said you've got all Mac so of course you want to stick with that. This for your budget twenty let's say three thousand bucks, you get eighteen gigs of memory, you get their brand new M three chip, you get a five hundred and twelve gigabyte storage, which I don't think is that much. I probably ump that up to a terabyte if you can. And then you're going to get the ports that they offer, which is a memory card, you know, headphone HDMI, and a couple of mag Safe ports sorry Thunderbolt ports. So that's going to be a really nice computer for that price tag. On the cheap end of things, Ben, if you don't want to spend a lot, or if you're listening and you don't want to spend as much as Ben is wanting to spend. I think the best deal right now is the M one MacBook Air at Walmart. It is selling for six hundred and ninety nine dollars. That is an incredible deal. I've actually seen it as low as six point fifty, so watch that price. Because Walmart's offering it for six ninety nine. Some other retailers have swooped in and said, you know what, we'll do six fifty. So that I think is the best value for a MacBook Air or a cheap Apple computer is the MacBook Air thirteen inch M one at Walmart six hundred ninety nine dollars. First time that Walmart is selling an Apple MacBook and they came out swinging with this price tag. It's a really, really compelling price tag. I think the cheapest we saw it over the holidays was like seven fifty, so it's like fifty dollars cheaper. And if you get it for that six fifty somewhere, if they do that sale again, even cheaper. But for Ben, for you, that sixteen inch MacBook Pro I think is going to be the best. I went with the fourteen inch MacBook Pro and I hate it. It's way too small of a screen. I'm probably gonna upgrade, and I don't think I need the Pro anymore because the m chips have gotten so good. I think I'm just going with the MacBook Air sixteen inch or is it fifteen inch? I think it's fifteen inch. Actually, let me say here, it's been a while since. Oh it's in my bag. You know I'm shopping on Apple when it's already in my bag. Yeah, it's a fifteen inch MacBook Air. And the one that I've specked out is about it's almost like three thousand bucks because I want a higher end memory and storage. Okay, thanks for the call, benppreciate it. Let's go to Carlos in Downy. Carlos, you're on with Rich.
Speaker 5: I'm Rich.
Speaker 11: Good to hear from you.
Speaker 1: I got to hear from you for you.
Speaker 11: I don't know if you've already discussed this or not. When it a see if there's an external hard drive where I can go ahead and transfer my pictures from my iPhone videos from my iPhone via air drop. I went to Apple, but all they suggested, obviously was the cloud.
Speaker 1: Yeah, of course they did, because guess what you pay forever. And it's so mysterious. Snology the company that makes these network attached storage drives they have, Oh my gosh, the name of it is evading me. But it's like, oh my gosh, I got to remember the name of this. But it's called like sugar Bee or something like that. But it's this little drive that they came up with, and it's a let's say, sync drive. I gotta find the name of this thing, but it's a it's okay, I'll figure out the name before we at some point during the show. But there is a drive that lets you kind of sync. You plug in your iPhone into your computer and it will kind of suck the pictures off the iPhone and put them onto this little drive. And so it's like a good alternative and it's like a one terabyte drive. I mentioned it on the show. I'm trying to remember what the name of it is, and I really can't remember right now, but if I if I think of it, I will mention it on the show. Maybe during the break, I'll figure it out. But it's like it's like, oh gosh, it's yeah, and you're using iPhone.
Speaker 11: Did you say, yeah, I'm using an eyeball.
Speaker 1: Now, there's some other ways you can do it. Do you have a Windows computer or a Mac?
Speaker 11: I have a Mac.
Speaker 1: Okay, I was gonna say, because you know, you could just plug your phone into your Mac and just have it take the photos off and put them into iPhoto and then back that up to a hard drive. Now, what I don't like about the way iPhoto does it is they put them in a p prietary filing system, which is a pain if you ever want to sort of do anything else with those pictures. So I'm not a huge fan of that. But there's also some apps as well that you might want to take a look at. They just they just launched a new app that I'm testing called alt Tunes a L T t U n es. Right now, it's just on Windows, but it will be coming to the Mac. But that's one way, And I Amazing is another app that you can check out. Have you heard of that one?
Speaker 11: No, I haven't heard of that one. I do have Google Photos where I do.
Speaker 9: Back it up.
Speaker 11: Okay, but I want to go ahead and have you want that copy. Yeah, in case googleever it goes you know, caput or something, at least I have a backup and not lose everything that I have on Google Photos.
Speaker 1: You can also just use image capture built into your computer and just just dragging. I mean, if you're just trying to get them onto a drive, you can just plug your phone into your computer use image capture. It kind of remembers the photos that you've imported versus not. So you know, let's say you do this once a week. You just import the new ones and then just drag them onto a hard drive or just import them directly to that hard drive. Why don't you do that? That's like the cheapest, easiest and free. Oh okay, have you tried image capture?
Speaker 11: No, I haven't tried it.
Speaker 1: It's built.
Speaker 11: I do have the extern that there's a small sanded flash drive where I've used it, But that just takes a while. The profits and most of the videos are about a minute long. They're nothing really over five minutes. Y're a minute or too long, but it takes a while for you to go ahead and be able to process it through into the small flash drive and then get the flash drive connected on my MacBook and then extract it from the flash drive over to my external drive. So I was wondering, I'm like, is there one way where we could just do it? Air drop it?
Speaker 1: The air drop is going to be you could do that, but that's going to be a pain because you have to figure out which pictures you've done which you haven't. I think I think image capture that's that's built into your Mac That's probably gonna be the easiest. That's what I used to to import stuff from all kinds of media, you know, whether you connect a SD card or a phone, whatever it is. But the iPhone, of course, works really nice with that. So I'd use that and just do that once a week. It'll it'll remember. It marks the pictures that you've already imported with like a little dot or something like a little green dot. I think it also it depends you have an iPhone with the USBC or the Lightning USBC.
Speaker 11: Okay, I was gonna say I have them.
Speaker 1: I think USBC started with the fifteen though.
Speaker 11: Okay, so then yes you have Lightning.
Speaker 1: So I will say, if you want to try the method where you plug the flash drive directly into the iPhone. The connection has gotten considerably faster since the lightning connection on the USB C It's a lot faster. So, oh what am I saying? You didn't get the USBC, So never mind, it's not gonna matter. But for anyone else that's listening that does have USBC, it is a lot faster. And they also make drives that kind of had two sides. Well, okay, now I'm confusing a lot of things because there's a drive with like a lightning on one side, USBC on the other, or the one that I have has USBC on one side and then a standard USB on the other side. So there's a lot of ways to do this. But at the end of the day, Carlos, I think the simplest way is going to be connect your phone with a cable to your computer and just use that image capture. It'll pull the new images off the phone, drag them to that drive, or just import them into that file and that drive the folder, and that's the best way to keep that physical copy. Thanks so much for the call today, eighty eight rich one on one eight eight eight seven four to two four one zero one coming up. I'll tell you about my pizza story and why Google is launching its answer to the AirTag network. You are listening to Rich on Tech. Welcome back to Rios zach Rich zero here eighty eight rich one on one eighty eight seven four two four one zero one.
Speaker 2: Let's get to Terry and seal Beach.
Speaker 1: A very patient Terry, thanks for holding on the line for a while. Welcome to the show. Hello, how Rich, Helloha.
Speaker 7: And happy birthday to Kim.
Speaker 13: She's the backbone of your show in case you haven't already realized that, Oh.
Speaker 1: She is the shell. Yeah, I know, believe me. What can I help you with?
Speaker 13: Well, you know you were speaking about flying over the Pacific Ocean. Can I share with you very quickly a story that involves you?
Speaker 1: Sure?
Speaker 13: Okay?
Speaker 19: Two months ago I was flying to Fiji on Fiji Airways, and you.
Speaker 13: May not be surprised to learn that the bottle of water that they sell is or that they serve is Fiji water.
Speaker 1: Makes sense, Okay.
Speaker 19: So, as I'm doing this ten hour red eye flight from Lax to Fiji, at three AM, I go back to the cabin to get a glass of water, and I'm talking to the cabin crew about how relatively expensive Fiji water is in the States, and I repeated the story that you told on the air about how the only bottled water that your kids, who are not even teenagers yet will drink is water.
Speaker 1: It's not the only water they'll drink, it's just if I ever give them a choice, that's what they prefer, because they yeah, clearly they're spoiled, but.
Speaker 13: Yes, obviously they're water kind of stores. And the cabin crew thought.
Speaker 21: That was hilarious and they said to tell you bulah, which is the equivalency of aloha.
Speaker 1: Ah okay boolah huh okay. Very cool, that's a great story.
Speaker 7: Well, anyway, on my trip, I have a unlocked Google Pixel five A five G which did not I have support for eSIM, and so when I flew to Fiji and then later on to Australia, I had to buy two different physical SIM cards, and the one that I used in Australia first time I ever used Votaphone.
Speaker 13: They were absolutely terrible. I would not recommend them to anyone.
Speaker 21: And even though I was supposed to have text messaging capabilities on my Votaphone sim card, only some.
Speaker 13: Messages would be communicated and the text support was terrible, and I actually was thinking About'm getting ready to go to Greece and I was seriously looking at replacing my phone until I found out that my old Google Pixel five A five G now has eSIM capability.
Speaker 1: Oh they added it with a software update.
Speaker 13: Well that was my question for you, apparently, So I mean.
Speaker 1: They definitely can do it, because I I've been testing a one plus phone that when it came out it did not have eSIM, but then they did a software update and it does, so it is possible. I can't confirm that for the Pixel five A, but I you know, if you say it and I believe it. But uh, yeah, so what so your question is what should you try? A Yeah, it does say it does have an eSIM, so you're going to try an eSIM this time around before you go?
Speaker 5: Right?
Speaker 1: Okay?
Speaker 21: And I know that I know that you've spoken previously highly of Erlow.
Speaker 13: So the only thing about Erlo is they do not support text messaging. So I was wondering if there's a couple of others that I've been looking at that I've never heard of.
Speaker 1: Well here's the deal. It's it's kind of interesting because it's not the text. It will support text messaging if your primary carrier offers uh tech Wi Fi messaging. So if your pixel is set up with your primary phone line and it has you know you have one. I find messaging like most of the modern carriers. Now, which carrier do you have?
Speaker 13: I'm actually with Consumer.
Speaker 1: Okay, do they have do they offer? Okay? Well, actually okay, So they're interesting because I was looking at their their support for overseas, it's a little different than a lot of the carriers, so I'd be very careful. In fact, I would not use them at all overseas.
Speaker 16: Well.
Speaker 13: That's why I've been buying physical cards because they country that I go to they do not have overseas or.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and they do charge if you do any sort of roaming or anything like that.
Speaker 13: But but domestically I've been with them for years. They're awesome. I did go with Google Fi for one month and they were absolutely well. My experience was absolutely terrible.
Speaker 1: So I just tested I just tested back to consumer. I just tested Google Fi a couple of weeks ago, and they actually were They exceeded my expectations. I thought it was pretty great. But anyway, so long story short about the sims. I don't in general recommend that. The problem with the SIM if you're going to get a separate phone number, people are going to be texting you on that random phone number when you're overseas, that's really complicated unless you're there for an extremely long period of time. I would not recommend that. So my advice is to just have people text you through you know, a WhatsApp or a Facebook messenger, and they just you just have to, you know, send out to your close friends and family that hey, I'm on you know, vacation or traveling or whatever, and I can't take your text because if Consumer Cellular doesn't offer that, you know, the Wi Fi texting, then to go through the hassle of setting up a whole new phone number, I don't even know how you tell people that number for just the week you're all overseas. But most of the sims are data only. They're not really meant for calls. You can do voice over IP calls, but they're all meant for data pretty much. That's that's my advice, Ara Low and then US Mobile also has an international e SIM coming up. We're going to talk more about mobile networks with the CEO of mobile X. You're listening to rich on Tech. Welcome back to rich on Tech. Rich Demiro here hanging out with you, talking technology the website for the show richon Tech dot TV. Joining me now is Peter Adderton, founder and CEO of a new mobile service called mobile X. He also is the founder of Boost Mobile. Peter, Welcome to the show. Thanks Rich Thanks for having me. So first off, give me the history on Boost, like you founded that. Obviously you've moved on since then, but what was sort of the synthesis back then, Like what was your main goal with Boost?
Speaker 22: You know, when we first came to the US, and I think about two thousand and two thousand and one to launch Boost, prepaid basically was nonexistent. Most carriers were trying to chase the postpaid customer, which in their minds they considered to be the higher value customer, and so prepaid was pretty much being left behind. Obviously you can tell from my accent I'm Australian. What we were seeing in Australia and outside the US was the prepaid was really starting to grow and it was growing to like fifty percent of the market. So I saw an incredible opportunity here to launch boost.
Speaker 15: We launched it with next Heel back in the day.
Speaker 22: I think you might remember the push to talk oh ye ide and technology, the whole where you at campaign put Kanye West into his first commercial and really built a brand that was you know that's still here today, I think some twenty years later. So you know, that was really the kind of drive behind it was to try to give you know, the unconnected the ability to get connected. So that's really what we've been doing for the last twenty years, focused on the consumer.
Speaker 1: And now you've got this new venture called mobile X and this is a an MV and O, so we have to explain what that is and also it used a lot of AI and so what are you trying to Well, first off, explain Mobile X and kind of what you're trying to do this time around.
Speaker 13: Yeah.
Speaker 22: So one of the things that's always been a kind of a concern to me that consumers aren't really aware of is that a lot of them are buying data that they never need. I mean, I'll ask you this question, Rich and I'm almost positive you're not going to be able to answer it.
Speaker 15: How much data do you need? Do you use?
Speaker 1: No idea? I know I do know. From time to time I check my wife's usage and it's like so minuscule that I'm like, I laugh at her. I'm like, what, you don't do anything on your phone? But I do. Obviously I probably use more data than the average person, But I agree, we're paying in advance for something that you know, we don't even know how much we're using or how much we might need.
Speaker 7: No.
Speaker 22: So what we wanted to do with Mobile X, I mean a lot of people also don't realize that the carriers make their money two ways. They sell you data they know you don't need, and then when you go over they charge you. So it's kind of overage and breakage. So what we wanted to do is we wanted to right size that. So I wanted to put machine learning AI in the consumer's hands.
Speaker 15: And have them tell us what they need. And what we're found is.
Speaker 22: And I found this even myself, my bill hasn't been any more than sixteen or seventeen.
Speaker 15: Dollars because a lot of what I do is in Wi Fi.
Speaker 22: Then when I'm out on the road, I mean, unless you're using video, and even if you use video, we give you the option to be able to use four eighty seven twenty or ten eighty or four K. I've got mindset at four eighty. I can't even tell the difference in video quality. So we really put a lot of the control back into the consumer's hands and we use machine learning AI to help them, and we are bringing down the bills significantly. As an example, my family BILLT on AT and T before I jumped over to Mobile X was north of three hundred dollars.
Speaker 15: Now we're south of fifty.
Speaker 22: And we have done nothing different other than we're not paying for data that we don't need. And so I think if consumers really want to save money, and now's the time.
Speaker 7: To do it right.
Speaker 22: Obviously we're coming into an inflationary period, things are going up. Great way to save it is to get on Mobile X, try us out for ten days, let the AI do its work and it comes back and basically customize a plan exactly for what you need. And as I said, the majority of people, we're saving significant amounts of money for.
Speaker 1: A couple points. So the reason I'm having you on the shelf, first off, because I've been testing Mobile X. I used it throughout my entire trip in Hawaii, had no issues whatsoever. But it's funny you said the four eighty because I was just inside the app kind of looking at some of the settings, and I noticed that my video was streaming at four eighty. And I'm a pretty like tech savvy guy, and I did not notice that in any way, shape or form that my video was streaming at four eighty on a brand new Samsung S twenty four Ultra, which has a great screen. I didn't tell the difference there, So clearly, you know, I don't think that matters to most people. I'm looking at the plans on your website. One of them starts at four dollars and eight cents a month, another one starts at fifteen a month for five gigs, and then another one is thirty gigs for twenty five dollars. Of course, it's unlimited talking text with all those plans. But I think that the main issue with people and their cellular carriers is they are very scared to switch. So I know that I'm overpaying for my wife's line specifically, and our bill just went up, but it's so scary, like she questions, like, wait, am I going to lose this? Am I going to lose that? Is this going to work the same. Do you find that to be the case.
Speaker 22: Yeah, Look, I think that you know changing and that's why we have this thing called churn in the industry, and it's very very low, right.
Speaker 15: And that's because people are scared to.
Speaker 22: Be able to switch across, you know, an mv and O like our sales Mobile X. We're on the best network in the country. We have the same access that everybody else has and we have better tools. So it really is for consumers can save themselves significant amounts of money by jumping over to mv and os like Mobile X.
Speaker 15: And I say this to everybody.
Speaker 22: And when you leave your house, you don't know leave all the lights on, right, You run around and you turn them all off, right because you're trying to save money.
Speaker 15: And even when you look at filling up your car, you fill it up.
Speaker 22: If I filled your car up and at the end of the month, I came and siphoned it out, no matter how much gas you used, that's exactly what the carriers do. They give you all this data and at the end of the month they siphon out even if you haven't used it, and then recharge you again. So I think the consumers are getting smart, they're getting wiser, and they're quickly realizing that they don't need one of the big three brands when you can actually get one of the big three brands networks and save yourself a significant amount of money. And as I said, my usage hasn't changed, my experience has got better. And so I really encourage consumers to get out there and have a look because it really can.
Speaker 15: As I said, it can save them significant families.
Speaker 22: Thousands of dollars, by the way, a year, not not like hundreds thousands of dollars a year.
Speaker 15: MOBILEX can save them.
Speaker 1: What about this idea of poorting out the number? Is that process tough? Is it easy? Is it automated? What's the deal with that?
Speaker 15: It's pretty easy.
Speaker 22: Actually, you go on, you ask your carrier for a port out pin, they give you a port out pin, You put that into the app. We're all up driven, and then the number switches across. For the majority of people, it's seamless.
Speaker 1: For me.
Speaker 22: When I moved over my family, I think it took about sixty seconds and I was up and running on Mobile X, coming across from AT and T. So it's it's it's not that hard. I mean, it's daunting to a lot of people. You can do it in the app, you don't need to go into a store. We've got an incredible customer care team that's focused on this, so you can get onto them straight away and they'll make sure they help you out. But again, these are thousands of dollars of savings. In fact, the matter I'm saving my eldest daughter. We leased a car on the monthly mount that we were saving. Wow, we've actually got her at car. And so I tell people this is not about saving pennies. You can save hundreds of dollars by just checking out mobile ax.
Speaker 15: And again we've got experience.
Speaker 22: I founded the Boost business, which has got millions of customers and saved a lot of people a lot of money.
Speaker 15: This is the next step, in my.
Speaker 22: Opinion, in mobile communications and how consumers really can take control back.
Speaker 1: How big of it? How big of a deal is it that you guys got into Walmart?
Speaker 22: Oh, look, it's huge. I mean, you know, everybody knows that. You know, ninety percent of Americans live within ten miles of a Walmart. Walmart's also all of saving people money and making.
Speaker 15: Their lives better. That's exactly what mobilex is.
Speaker 22: And so yeah, I mean it also gives us credibility, I think to consumers. You know, Walmart doesn't just put anybody in their stores, and so if you're well, I'm not too sure who mobile x is, Oh wow, Walmart's got them in there.
Speaker 15: You can go in and see us as.
Speaker 22: An inline in there. You can buy it online through Walmart dot com. But I think that that should give people, you know.
Speaker 15: The feeling of security.
Speaker 22: The other thing is we run on the Verizon network, right, which is the largest network, you know, as far as I'm concerned, in America. So we've got a great network, great retail partner, great technology, and now we've got obviously phones online, so you can actually go get phones as well, so there's really good chance to go on and enjoy mobile x.
Speaker 1: It's funny. That's what made me take you guys seriously. I'd been pitched on this a couple of times, and I was familiar. But when I was at Walmart and I saw the display and I saw that most of the simcards are actually gone, I said, huh interesting. You know, the fact that you're in Walmart and the fact that people are buying these SIM cards clearly tells me something that people are interested in. This real quick, I've got about thirty seconds explain that that AI tool that kind of learns your usage, because that's really interesting. If you're like you know, you just use your phone a tiny bit, this could save you a lot.
Speaker 15: It doesn't. So I'll give you a classic example.
Speaker 22: A customer ring me up the other day and they put their mother in law on Mobile X and she basically signed up, did the whole thing, poured it over and she said, now what and they said nothing. Just go do what you're going to do, and at the end of the eight days, it'll come back and tell you what you plan is. You don't need to pick a plan. The plan actually picks you, and we use machine learning AI to do that.
Speaker 15: So you basically just go around do whatever you're doing.
Speaker 22: And at the end of the ten days we come back and say, here's the exact plan for you. Now, if you're supposed to be one of those unlimited plans, we'll tell you right. If you're using a lot of data, we'll say, hey, these are the best plans. But the majority of people, seventy to eighty percent of them aren't going on to an unlimited plan and basically spending between five and fifteen dollars a month. So it really is incredible when you actually know and that question I asked you at the beginning, how much data you use? You can go into the app and find out very very quickly and we'll tell you. And each month, by the way, you can change your plan. You know, as you know right now today most plans are stuck. So whether you do a three months, six months or twelve month, we don't. We let you change your plan every month if it's going to save you money real quick.
Speaker 1: Do you support the Apple Watch.
Speaker 22: We're about to We don't today, we're about to. Apple is a unique group. As you know, you're in tech, so you understand that they they have a special experience with consumers.
Speaker 15: It's their way or it's no way.
Speaker 22: So we are working to get that back and I think we'll be there pretty soon.
Speaker 1: Okay, Peter Adderton, founder and CEO of mobile X. The website mymobilex dot com if you want to check it out, Thanks so much for joining me today.
Speaker 15: Absolute pleasure.
Speaker 1: All right, coming up, we've got the feedback segment. I still need to tell you my pizza story. I'll tell you about Google and uh, anything else I can squeeze in before the end of the show. Rich on Tech dot tv is the website. If you want more information on my mooble x. You are listening to rich on Tech.
Speaker 9: Collation Relation.
Speaker 1: Welcome back to rich on Tech. Rich Demiro here closing out the show with our AI generated song So weird but kind of cool. All right, I got a lot to get to, so let me just start right away here. First off, I've been using a new app called Boy and it is incredible. I highly suggest you go to Voice Nototes dot com and check it out. This is an AI powered note taking app. So what do you do? Anytime you have a thought? You record your voice into the app and it will then transcribe it and it will come up with a witty title for it. And then the magic of this entire system is that it puts everything that you say on a timeline. But wait, there's more. You can also search anything that you've ever said and it's all transcribed things to AI and you can ask. It becomes your own personal chat GBT. So if you one time said that you liked a restaurant in this little city when you were in some travel place. You can ask your AI what was that restaurant I liked in Rome, and it would come up with the answer. It is absolutely incredible. I played with this for about fifteen minutes before I paid for the lifetime subscription, and I don't know if that's still available, but it's it's you can use it for free, and there are some limitations, but I'm telling you check this out. It is called voicenoes dot com right now, it's a web app. They will have apps for iOS and Android coming soon. It comes from the same people who make that buy Me a Coffee and also biolink, so it comes from a good team that that does some cool stuff. So voice notoes dot com. Let's see Tesla yesterday slashed the price of their full self driving software. It used to be one hundred two hundred dollars a month. Now it's one hundred dollars a month. So in the name of you, I subscribed and tried it out. I drove to the show today, or had the car drive to the show, and I will tell you it's scary as can I say hell on this show, it's scary as hell. That's oh my god, Oh my gosh. I'm not kidding, I'm I I this should free the pain and my heart rate during this drive to the show was intense. My car missed the turn onto the freeway ramp. It tried to turn from a non dedicated turn lane. It had erratic behavior. A driver actually honked at me as he went past me because they were like, what the heck is this car doing? It stopped. It fully stopped at a crosswalk when it wasn't supposed to. It's like one of those crosswalks that like, you know, people might cross that, but there's no one in it. It tried to go through a blinking left turn signal. It went right through the meter light on the freeway. Here in California, you've got these little red light green lights that let you onto the freeway at a certain point, and it just blasted right through that didn't even stop for that one. I had to disengage the autopilot when another car cut me off. It just it was all over the place. I tried it twice this morning, and it's amazing. I think if if you're maybe on very simple streets, but on complicated city streets like Los Angeles, it's it's more work to monitor this system and to react or to be ready to react than it is to just drive yourself. So until we are in that complete full self driving autonomy, this is not ready for prime time. I don't think it's even worth the one hundred dollars a month based on the headaches and the stress that it will cause you, so to be continued on that. I will continue to test it for the month. My kids were like, can I take a ride? I said no, I value your life, like not right now, I'm It's just it's a lot. Google's Magic Tools Magic editing tools are coming to all devices for free, so it used to be something you can only get on Pixels or if you paid. Now their AI powered Magic Editor tool will be available for free on Android, iOS, Android and iOS device is starting May fifteenth, so if you download Google Photos on those devices you can use the Magic Editor, which is pretty cool. You're only gonna get ten free edits a month. Pixel users will still get unlimited access, and of course, if you have a non Pixel device, you can subscribe to a Google one plan to get to get that as well. It has to be a two terabyte storage plan, which is what I'm on. But pretty cool Google's under a lot of stress right now between all of these other AI photo editing apps, so they got to do something because they want theirs to be prominent. And also in other Google news, you know that Apple has air tags. Now Google is launching what they call the Find my Device Network. This uses over a billion Android devices to locate lost phones, tablets, headphones, and third party tags. So just like an air tag, there will now be tags that you can use your Android phone to find. And this is gonna be great. If you have an Android phone, you'll be able to find these things you'll have on your keys, on your bigger suitcases, whatever luggage. Pixelate and pixel eight pro even have this cool feature where they can be found when they're powered off or have a dead battery. What kind of witchcraft is that you can find something with a dead battery. There's got to be some sort of battery in there, right, like a small backup battery. Come on, Chippolo is sending me one of their tags to test out. There's gonna be a bunch of these on the market. Sony JBL headphones are gonna update them to support this Find my Device. There is an app that you can download right now it is called find my Devices. I think it's see it's called find my Device app and make sure it's signed by Google LLC. Nothing else. There are some fake apps out there, so it says Google LLC. If that's not the developer, do not get it. All right, let's get to some feedback here, Rich, you blew it. On your last radio show. You talked about swiping your phone's shutter button to take multiple photos at month at once. Then you stated you swipe right to take multiple photos, but you have failed to mention whether you turn the phone clockwise or counterclockwise. Well, to me, I always turn my phone with the charging port when it's horizontal to the right. That's just the way I think is the standard way. So yes, on Samsung, you would take your photo shutter button and you would pull it to the right. On iPhone you would pull it down. That's with your power plug facing to the right. Travis says, hey, Rich, the workaround for watching Apple TV on an Android phone or tablet is to use a browser like Chrome and log into your Apple TV account and cast away. There you go, Travis, thank you, Oh I didn't mention New Weekend show. That's right on KTLA Plus. I've got a new show called rich on Tech Weekly at premieres on Sunday, April fourteenth, So download the free KTLA plus app on Apple TV, Roku or Fire TV and you'll get to see some of this radio show. You'll get to see my TV reports and longer form interviews all in one place. And Caroline says lots of positive feedback since your reports are informative for average layperson to follow and research further on their own or using your recommended links. I'm betting soon that you'll have a national show. Sincerely, Caroline PS. Will the weekend show be live or taped? Can we only call in for the radio show? Yes, radio show is still live. Weekend show on KTLA plus is taped. Please check it out. Go to the website rich on Tech dot tv. If you can believe it, that's gonna do it for this episode of the show. Links to everything I mentioned rich on Tech dot TV. Find me on social media at rich on Tech. Thank you so much for listening. There are so many ways you can spend your time. I do appreciate you spending it right here with me. I'll talk to you real soon