Speaker 1: Comedy Up Broadway in Lexington welcomes Ginger Billy May ninth through the eleventh, then from White Famous, catch Jay Farroh ME sixteenth and seventeenth, and don't miss Rocky Dan Davis ME twenty third and twenty fourth. Comedy Off Broadway opened in downtown Lexington in nineteen eighty seven and they're still bringing the best and stand up comedy to the area thirty eight years later. Call eight five nine two seven to one joke or visit Comedy Up Broadway, dot com Comedy Off Bay.
Speaker 2: Welcome everyone. It is Kentucky Sports Radio, Friday, May to sixteenth. Thank you all here at the Chaos Barn Grill. I'm Matt Jones. It is a rainy day in Lexington, but you can still come out and see us and have lunch. I hope you will. I have a surprise for people who come to the Chas Bar and Grill this weekend. But I'll say that now Parks Puppyshop Faulk Line. By the way, the interrupting thing is off now now I can interrupt you today. I mean, I'm not saying I will, but I can if I'm nine two eight zero twenty to eighty seven. A vision auto glass text machine is seven seven two seven seven four five two five four. In this dish sponsored by the TJ Smith Lavas you call Tj'll make them pay. We got folks here from Boston, Southern Indiana, got a guy in a red shirt, all kinds of stuff. Drew is only gonna be here for one hour because he's getting on a plane in gallivanting around America over this weekend and otherwise exciting times.
Speaker 3: I want to I want to compliment you for a second.
Speaker 2: The last couple of.
Speaker 3: Days you said you were gonna go interrupt anybody, and I thought, there's no chance in France he's ever gonna go through with that, And somehow you did it and it worked. So I was kind of proud of you the last couple of days not interrupting people.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, you know, don't get used to it, but but I I it was good. It's nice to converse with people. And uh, we'll do it again later this summer. We got some things we have to do this summer. You know, we have the Unpopular Opinion Day. I always try to do this summer. I'm sure I'll come up with a bracket that we will not finish at some point and uh yeah, we'll we'll go from there. But I I have enjoyed it. Nice to hear people. First day, it calls little shaky, but then it got a little better as we went on. The first day was just older guys tell me about the young women they date. But then it got a little It got a little better after that.
Speaker 4: You know, me, I prefer the chaos. So yesterday, when stuff's not working and you're taking Bob and Jamestown calls in the first segment, that surprised even me. Yeah, that's that's my kind of show. So I'm looking forward to summer content, all.
Speaker 2: Right, So I have something there. We're gonna talk UK sports obviously, and getting a big sports weekend coming up. My Canes made the Eastern Conference final, even the Reds won man with the red we even won a game finally, But that's not what I want to talk about, all right. So yesterday my car was out here in the parking lot and a guy came in and he said, Matt, I hate to tell you this, but you have a flat. Yes, And I thought he was lying, And then I went outside and I did have a flat, big, big, nail in the in my in my tire. Now. There are only two car dealerships that I mess with in Kentucky, Okay. One is, of course, Don Franklin, been a great advertiser. Loved them set twenty seven locations. You know, they treat you like family, right. The other is I have had at various points in my life for a long time. Alexis and the Lexington dealership has always been nice. And the thing that's the best about them is that if I have something, they'll come and fix it. Because this may surprise you, Shen, and I can't. I can't fix a tire, So I didn't know that. Yeah, well, I mean I know you would have thought I could, but I can't. So while we were doing the second hour, they came, got the car, brought me, you know, a loan for the day. Well, I had to go. I had to go to Louisville. I had to do a bunch of stuff, and so I still have it. I'm gonna give it back today. But last night I got back in town. It was a beautiful night, right. And sometimes I like to just drive around see Lexington, sure, listen to podcasts. I was out there in Paris Pike out on all the like horse Farm. Oh yeah, roads, beautiful roads they've given me. This is either a twenty four or twenty five. Now I have a question. Do any of you have a twenty four or twenty five car? Do any of you have it? I need to I almost planning on getting a car this summer or in the fall, Drew. These cars are starting to get sassy, all right, and I don't think I like it. These cars are starting to be like a girlfriend telling me how to drive. Okay, you get in this car, and now, I maybe this may be something you're used to. I'm not. The car will tell you to pay attention.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, if you start waking going no, I'm fine with that.
Speaker 2: If you the car will look at you and say, please face your eyes forward. Have you have you? If you all have a car like this, this Lexus out here will go driver in attention, beat, beat, beep, and it'll just say, please look forward. If you just look to the side, just to say, I don't know, just there are things over there you might want to see. Yet I have to look at a horse. It yells at you and it beeps at you, and I don't think you can turn it off. And as you may know, sometimes I look away. Occasionally you've ridden with me, the car just yells at you constantly and you can't turn it off. And is this what it's gonna be? Is the cars like get an attitude with us as the year's going. I didn't realize they were doing that. Now.
Speaker 4: I didn't know i'd gotten that fancy. My car is about to turn ten, so I'm just lucky to get my phone to play music through it. But I have seen some I've been driving them where, like a coffee couple pop up and I'll be like, do you need to pull over? Are you tired?
Speaker 2: I'm like, what do you know about me? You know me? Get it gets really sassy, it says one of them says, please look straight ahead. First of all, it's a little scary that it knows what I look. Yes, like it's because they were right at that moment. I was looking a little bit to the side. But is this gonna be? What things are?
Speaker 3: Cars?
Speaker 2: And be like, sit up straight, you're slouching. That's bad posture. I don't. I couldn't believe it. And I guess this is normal for for cars, and I'm sure it's safe but I felt like, you know how what people get a dui and they'll make them blow into it to whatever. These cars will say to you. If you don't look straight, they're gonna make you pull over.
Speaker 3: I didn't know, I along, Drew, I've got an old car. I didn't know this was the technology they're using. Now it feels like you've got your high school principal in your front seat with you.
Speaker 2: Yes, it was like taking mom's ridding shotgun. The whole time. It was like my old gym teacher who I took drivers said with who was sitting there yelling at me. So I didn't enjoy that second thing though. One of the places, and I'm sorry, I'm gonna have to say where this is, but I feel like it's part of the story. Okay, New Circle Road out there, like uh, next to Russell Cave. Okay, you know what I'm talking about. Out there, there's you know, that's where some of the more I don't know what you would say risk a businesses in town? Yeah, is that fair to say for people dance? But I wouldn't necessarily say it's a bar. Right. They have a bunch of those out there. And I was driving down Nicholas or on New Circle Road, coming like towards let's say, you know, I'm forgetting roads, the road to the Interstate that's right next to Yeah, the next time new Townpike come from in between Paris Pike and Newtownpike. And there's one of those dance establishments on the right. And as I'm driving by, I look outside and there's a man and his wife. And you all may have seen this. They have seven jugs of juice. Have you seen this?
Speaker 4: I think I know what you're talking about.
Speaker 2: Like you know how when kids will have lemonade stands and they'll have a jug of juice. This was a grown man with seven different colors of juice in honestly a strip club parking lot. Okay, seven different and he had there were children there, and there was him, and there was a food truck and it said in Spanish basically juice, fruit juice. And I was thinking, those are seven different out in the open jugs of juice in a strip club parking lot on a Thursday night at six point thirty in the evening.
Speaker 1: It's just pimp juice.
Speaker 2: Here's the other shit, here's the thing. And there were a line of people getting the juice, and they look like people who had driven up to get the juice and get back in their car. Well, of course I look at it, and I'm like, this must be good. I love juice, but I couldn't make myself go into the parking lot and get the strip club juice that was there. But it had this guy had multiple flavors and a line of people that clearly this is a thing that people get. Drew, You're the foodie of.
Speaker 4: Lexing, and I love a good parking lot vendor that might not be on the books. I love a shady truck selling something all the back.
Speaker 2: So I went to the dairy Queen and I asked the person in the drive through, because it's right across the street, what's the deal with the Jews And they said they're They're out there every night and it's very popular. And I had no idea, And so I'm wondering if anyone listening has ever had it, and would you trust it? Drew? Would you would you see if you heard on like Lexington foodies, that there is juice in a parking lot of the Strip Club? Would you would you try it?
Speaker 4: Not only would I try it? When I'm back right. No, they don't have to go into that. A staff that place gives me dajavo anyway. But on Monday, I'm gonna take Mario and Mario, let's sample all the juices for a video.
Speaker 2: Would you like that?
Speaker 4: We don't have to go into the pink building, but just the juice truck.
Speaker 2: I want to.
Speaker 4: I'll do it a tasting for for our I.
Speaker 2: Mean you should. I freely admit I was fascinated. How do people know about it? This was not like just old guys standing in line. There were like, you know, professional looking people eating juice or drinking juice out of the parking lot. That was just in jugs, seven different colors, and Ryan I wanted to stop, but then I was worried, like you know, someone would take a picture, and I was like, I'm not gonna stop there. But I did wonder about it, and the car was yelling at me, look straight ahead, stop looking at the juice. My eyes up here, And I ended up not stopping. But I didn't know.
Speaker 3: This was the thing, But I'm gonna go. I may go tonight. I'm definitely on board with trying. Is that ex yeah, yeah, oh yeah, where you said it?
Speaker 2: Was well, okay if you go tonight because apparently they're out there. Uh. The woman that dairy queen said Wednesday through Saturday. Okay, so tonight is between those days.
Speaker 3: And obviously's good. If there's been a line there people waiting to get it is obviously something that tasty.
Speaker 2: So will you text me and let me know how it went?
Speaker 3: Yep, I definitely will.
Speaker 2: Just the city of Lexington continues to surprise me. But I don't think I've been more surprised than I was last night looking at the.
Speaker 4: Jews, I'm excited. It's gotta be good. If there are people, will you think it's gotta be good. They probably don't even care what that business is behind them because it's not even really open during the day. They just see an empty parking lot they can use. I don't think there's a they're collaborating on this business.
Speaker 2: We'll see now. Part of the reason I went driving around is I got frustrated that you're got Kirby Smart. All right, Kirby Smart. Did you see his quote yesterday?
Speaker 3: I heard he was on five.
Speaker 2: Yes, I didn't listen to it, but this is the quote and he said this yesterday, and I it was sitting by and I tweeted about it, and then I guess Georgia fans all saw it, and next thing you know, I was getting flooded by Georgia fans angry. Here was this quote by Nil. I just want to be able to have a freshman come in and not make more than a senior, and like I'd like for other sports to be able to survive. You know, we're on the brink of probably one to two years away from a lot of schools cutting sports. We need to change how this has happened. So I read that, and on the surface, people would look at that and go, well, that seems reasonable, right, freshmen should make more than senior years. We don't want to cut sports. I get that, But his primimise kind of was we're gonna have to cut sports because we're giving these kids too much money. Now, the last time I checked, Drew, was anybody forcing these schools to give kids money? Does Kirby Smart have to give freshmen more than he does seniors? Is that rule that you have to give a freshman more than seniors? So if Kirby Smart is giving freshman more than he's given seniors, would you agree with me? That that was his choice.
Speaker 4: It seems like a Kirby problem.
Speaker 2: It seems like Kirby problem. Nobody's making him do it. He could pay the seniors more, he's choosing to do it. But the second part of that is he says, we're gonna have to cut sports. We need to do something to stop it. Did I hear at any point Drew during that conversation that he volunteered to cut some of that ten million dollars a year salary. Did he say that at any point? I didn't catch it. Did he say I'll take nine millions so the track team can survive. Did he say I'll take nine point five so the tennis team will survive? How does he want to make those teams survive? He wants to cut his player's money. Wouldn't you agree there's a good chance his players make less than him. Oh? Yeah, it infuriates me. First of all, I agree with him. I want the lesser sports to survive. I agree with him there needs to be some kind of legislation. But I am so tired rhyminglemon of listening to these coaches who make ten million dollars a year to coach a game when they were making a million dollars or two million dollars even fifteen or twenty years ago. Their salaries have skyrocketed visa vis everything else. To say that the way to fix the system is to stop the players from making money, and nobody ever says, hey, you know what, maybe we need to control the player salaries, but you know who else's salary? We could controls the coaches. Maybe these schools in order to keep tennis, golf, whatever, should say we're gonna agree, we're not gonna pay coaches more than I don't know, six million dollars a year. Why don't they ever say that.
Speaker 3: They don't. They want to come across as a sympathetic creature, but no, no, no, they don't.
Speaker 2: They want to protect their money and keep the kids from making their Moneyely, that's what they want to do. I'm fine with the system where we say, why don't we control all these salaries a little bit, because I think that's fair. But in capitalism you can't just do that without having the employees have a say in that. And these schools want these players to shut up, make them shut up, take the money they're giving them. And oh, by the way, Kirby I need an extension, give me twelve million dollars a year. It's infuriating to me. I am totally with the idea of the system needs to be regulated, but I am so tired of these coaches, especially the ones that make obscene salaries. Drew complaining about the players making money and then complaining about the money that they choose to give to the players.
Speaker 4: They don't have to do it, And it is ironic coming from Kirby.
Speaker 2: Is he the highest paid He's the highs paid coach in the country.
Speaker 4: If Kirby wants to save sports, maybe he could fly Southwest.
Speaker 2: Maybe he makes him pay million dollars more a year than anyone else at his university, not in sports. Now. Does he deserve it? The market says he does. But guess what the market says these players deserve it too, because people are giving it to him, right. Yeah.
Speaker 4: And I don't know how he plans to or how he says if freshman shouldn't get more than a senior. I get you want to keep guys around, but if you if you lead guys are worth what they're worth, then you know it doesn't really matter what age are.
Speaker 2: You don't have to pay them, Kirby, Yeah, nobody's making you do it. Pay the seniors. So I heard that quote, and of course all the people online are like, good job, Kirby's right, and then Kirby's going to ask for two million dollars more a year next year.
Speaker 3: How did Georgia fans defend it? How do they do it?
Speaker 2: Because they don't. They don't think about it. They just say I agree, And a lot of the Kentucky fans defend it to and I just think it's ridiculous and it's and I keep hearing coaches to do it, and I think it's insane. We'll take a break eight five, nine, twenty two eighty seven here at ks bar and grill. Get a little dark outside, don't you. I can't wait to go get on a flight. Well, very bad is Kentucky sports Radio? Welcome back? Take you sports radio? Are you really gonna go try that tonight? I this weekend. If it's not tonight, it'll be this weekend for sure. I want to see what I want to see what it is.
Speaker 3: And I feel like you gotta try more than one. If he's got six or seven of them, you gotta try a couple.
Speaker 2: Now, I mean, if you're gonna go all the way over there, you might try. Absolutely said you got a message about I have a text from a friend who knows a friend. They actually say it is amazing and the drink is, believe it or not, called horror Chatta Horchata.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's I looked it up. No, that's a real drink, and it said no. Several people they goes and gets drinks there hor chatta.
Speaker 2: Yep, what's it? What's it for?
Speaker 3: Like, what's in it?
Speaker 4: What's it for? It's for you to drink. Uh, the specific cor chada. It looks like it's for various beverages. So I don't know specifically what that means, but that's what it's called. And uh, it's got five star reviews from someone I trust.
Speaker 2: All Right, so there you go. Maybe I should have stopped last night. All right, Ryan, I'm waiting on your okay, and then crew, well, Drew and Mario can do a video. I use Monday. I don't think they're open Monday, but whatever.
Speaker 3: Present no mistake by the way that it's called that, and they're at the parking lot of that establishment.
Speaker 2: You may be right about that, maybe right about that, but We're not gonna, uh, we're not gonna worry about it. What person rights? Matt. You say you're upset that the coaches all complain about it, don't Kentucky coaches complain. I actually have not heard Mark Pope complain? Have you? Does anybody remember Mark Pope complain about it? Stoops definitely has, But I don't think I've heard Mark Pope. As a matter of fact, didn't Mark Pope just say a few days ago, we're gonna pay the most money or whatever. We're gonna be the best.
Speaker 4: I mean, yeah, someone asked what the budget is and he did, like doctor Evil. He was like two hundred million dollars, being sarcastic. But they said, no, of course, we want to have the most they need.
Speaker 2: So, you know, we've talked about this a lot. I'm not gonna go into extensive detail. There is a system that needs to be fixed, and the way to fix it is to go through Congress. And I've said this a couple of times. Teds and Corey Booker are working on it, and what I've heard from what they're doing, I actually give them a lot of credit. The bill's gonna have to be bipartisan because it's gonna take sixty votes in the Senate. They're working on it. Hopefully it works. If it doesn't, it doesn't. But I'll tell you what won't work, just complaining about it, which is what Kirby Smart and those guys do.
Speaker 3: And like I said, Kirby probably thought he was coming across, you know, as a sympathetic guy on the Fine Bomb Show, be a When you break it down what he said, like you did, you understand he's not the only one. He's not the only coaching thinks.
Speaker 2: They all think like But you know what, none of them do offer to give back any of their money, none of them and I'm not saying they should, but then don't complyan playing when the other folks get theirs.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 2: Thank you to the ladies of KSR. They made Shannon. Uh. They're called pop dolls, Funko pops. Funko pops. They made funko pops of me you, Drew and and and Ryan and they and Mario too?
Speaker 3: What about Bill and Billy has one?
Speaker 2: Look at this? Wow, that's a surprise. Nice mustache. Mine has me with a cell phone and a whisk Uh, yours has you very bald? But it also I didn't get a good look at that bald, surprisingly bald. Actually, what is in your hands?
Speaker 3: I got a headphones and one hand and a foam finger.
Speaker 4: In the other, okay, and then Drew's guy, my computer because it's always with me, and then cash because I gamble a lot. But also the beard is very grave, making me feel even older.
Speaker 2: Well, I mean it does. That's no, that's how accurate it is. You have an ov W belt and a beer so uh bi wrestler. That's exactly.
Speaker 4: You've got a good head of hair on you, Shannon. It's a good looking uh.
Speaker 2: Very much that. I'm gonna put this on my desk and have it right there next to my Ellie de la Cruz bobblehead doll. If I'm nine, Who's Who's Who's up to sixty four?
Speaker 3: So I turned it ready on right?
Speaker 2: Yes?
Speaker 5: No?
Speaker 3: When he crushed one hit one out yesterday?
Speaker 2: Who's up? First? Ship Chicago Dan, Chicago Dan? How are you?
Speaker 6: I'm doing well? First time long times.
Speaker 2: Somebody right here says, who are Horchata is the nectar of the gods. There you go. I'm a very religious fella. Nectar of the gods. I don't know if God would put his nectar in the pony parking lot, but maybe so you know, the Lord works in mysterious ways. I remember that from the for this, so go ahead.
Speaker 6: Okay, So I claim to elaborate on the Strip Club juice jugs. Okay, So they're called Aresca.
Speaker 2: They are.
Speaker 6: It's juice like fruits, juice that's blended and then mixed with water. And it's basically like a dairy free smoothie except for the aforementioned, which is the rice water, and it's got cinnamon in it vanilla. Think of it kind of like the after you eat your cinnamon post crunch, the with's less.
Speaker 2: Okay, the sounds pretty good. I'm not gonna yeah, smoothie without dairy and then rice water, that sounds pretty good. Yeah. I saw their set. I'm just gonna tell you, I respectfully to them. I don't think they're on door dash. That's just my my my look at it. But but I could be wrong. I'm not sure. Well, thank you, uh for the information. Speaking of speaking of if you, I just came into some Kentucky Purdue exhibition game. Good ticket and I I'm gonna I'm going to give them away to somebody and you have a chance to win them this weekend, and I will explain how when we come back to the break. Plus, UK basketball had somebody write me an interesting question about next year. I want to pull the fan base. See what they say. Right. If this KSR TJ. Smith, personal injury attorney called TJ, He'll make them pay.
Speaker 3: Now more of Kentucky Sports Radio presented by Stockton Mortgage.
Speaker 2: Here's Matt Jones walking back in his Kentucky Sports Radio. It is pouring outside in Lexington, apparently severe storms in Boyle County and Garrett County. So I hope everybody is okay all across the central Kentucky area. AF. I'm nine two eight twenty two eighty seven Ryan. My My new interview show debuted last night on the KHAS. The podcast will come out this afternoon. It's not up on Apple or Spotify yet, so I'll just send out the link via social and hopefully the Apple. It takes like seventy two hours for Apple and Spotify to approve the feeds. But interviewed Baumani and I was really happy with it. We did it. We Billy bought this new service where we could see each other and talk and so we'll have some video clips of it. It was. It was really good, talked about a ton of stuff. But MANI and I now known each other for twenty years and it was neat to have him. He was my first guest on the old podcast, so we made him the first guest on the new one as well.
Speaker 3: Yeah. I didn't get to hear it live on WHAS, so I was looking for the podcast last night. I'm glad you said where the word it's gonna be.
Speaker 2: Well if you heard it on WHAS, we only got to play like thirty six minutes of it. The whole thing was about fifty five, So we're gonna put all fifty five on pot podcast. Basically, I'm gonna do it pretty much twice a week. One of the ones will end up on HS and the other one will be podcast only. And I already have my two guests for next week too, So I.
Speaker 4: Like starting with bo Money. I remember him in the early KSR website days, being on live blogs. Even wrote a few posts. You've had that connection for me. He took a long time.
Speaker 2: He took some shots at people too. Yeah. He uh, Well, I don't want to spoil it, but there's a couple of things. I was kind of surprised. He uh, he said it. So I think you'll you'll people will like it if you hear it. There's a couple people that are prominent in the sports media world that you'd be You'll be surprised, He'll be some what he says.
Speaker 3: How did you guys hook up and become buddies?
Speaker 2: Like how that star? So when when when Bomani worked at ESPN Tubby Smith last year at Kentucky we played at North Carolina Do you remember that?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 2: And we lost by a lot in that game, and Bomani went for ESPN to cover the game, kind of taking the UK fans are unreasonable for wanting Tubby to be gone. And then he went and he saw how bad we were and he basically wrote, well, maybe I understand why Kentucky fans want Tubby to some of them wanted to be gone. And he wrote that article and when I when I read it, I had him on my show. He was at that time just a writer, and then he of course ended up blowing up. And we've we've stayed. For instance, I remember one of our road.
Speaker 4: Trips, we went to breakfast with them.
Speaker 2: We went and we went to breakfast in Durham, Durham, North Carolina eight five nine, uh two eighth twenty two eighty seven, So so feel free to check that out. Also, if you this weekend, if you tonight, I'll even include you all. If you do this, since you're here tonight, today, tomorrow and Sunday, if you eat at kspar, take a picture, take a picture of you being in here, right, and you send it to me on the text machine, I'm gonna draw one of those out and give u K Purdue tickets for that opening exhibition game. So take a picture of yourself this weekend, and let's see, let's put something new in here so I know you were here this weekend. Oh well, the menus are new, so like have your menu in it. And uh, if you take a picture of you here, send it to the text machine wait till noon so that I can keep them all straight. Seven seven two seven seven four five two five four. And if you send a picture of you in here one of those people, I'll give you K Purdue tickets.
Speaker 3: I think, even though it was an exhibition game, that UK Purdue Exhibision game will be massive. I think it's gonna be a big deal for the fans. I think it'll be packed. I think it'll be a great environment, even for an exhibition game.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and since there's not a ton going on, this is a good way to you can come visit and see some of the things Ryan did over done has done over here. You're such a good decorator.
Speaker 3: Well, you know, I majored in that in Kentucky Western College. Hath decor Yeah, it's good.
Speaker 2: Who's up next session, Ethan, go ahead, Ethan. Hey, Matt.
Speaker 7: So some of these some of the sports teams, for example, like Penn State's tennis team, when they have to travel places all the way across country like u c LA, you have to imagine that that cuts into their money spending quite a bit. Without questions, why don't schools have like each sport within the school, like they all have to be in the same conference.
Speaker 2: Well, what I mean in the in Kentucky's case, Drew, we are in the SEC, but there are a couple of sports that were not. You know, I don't know a lot of people don't realize. For men's soccer, we're actually in Conference USA. I think we're not in the because the SEC doesn't have enough men's soccer teams. There might be another sport where we're in another conference. I'm not sure what it is. I do wonder if one day, like in the Big Ten, they say, look, let's divide it up so our tennis team doesn't have to fly to Washington, Oregon, UCLA USC because that's got to be a ton of costs. But when you added those teams to the conference, part of what you were doing was forcing your teams. I mean I saw that the University of Washington last year, their basketball team flew something like thirty five thousand miles during the course of the year. That was the school chose to put that on their players, and you can't now complain about the cost.
Speaker 4: Yeah, when they did the realignment, I think that was most people's first reaction, like, are they really going to fly all the way across the country to play tennis and then come right back, even the basketball teams. Was it Mick Cronin who kind of put out their travel schedule. Yeah, I don't have a lot of sympathy.
Speaker 2: For They said that's why they got out of the CBS Classic. He was like, I can't add another trip to the East Coast when I'm doing like seven or seven or eight of them during the year, you know, and the swimming and the tennis and all those teams are also flying commercial. You know, those teams are flying commercial cross country seven times a year.
Speaker 3: Well, that's why the budget is so important. You know, they joined the conference. They want this football money from the conference. Yet they have to spread it out so your other teams can survive and compete.
Speaker 2: Weren't you bum Drew about the UK baseball team last week watching the whole thing.
Speaker 4: I mean, five run lead twice. It just even when it was getting a little tight and uncomfortable, Dan, I'm like, well, they're gonna pull this off.
Speaker 2: And then with two outs with people who don't know, they got up five to nothing. Then they were up seven to two. They go into the ninth seven to five, two outs, two strikes. Yeah, they're down to the final strike, and then Vandy hits a three run home run to beat him eight to seven. A lot of the national people thought Kentucky because Vandy's top ten, Kentucky just needs to win one of the three games to be in the tournament. Just wine the three. This could have been the one. I mean, it was right there for the win and then they end up but that's a brutal.
Speaker 4: Long they're at five to zero in like the first inning. So it felt good all night. Even though they had a bad I think it's the seventh they left Basis let it out getting a run, he still thought, okay, we got a two run cushion. And then to be one strike away in that home run, I mean you didn't even have to watch it. The moment the ball hit the bat, it was like, that's it. There was no doubt on that one. He popped it out the left field.
Speaker 2: If they don't make the tournament, Ryan, and they probably still will, but it's not assured. Unless they win one of these games, that one is gonna probably stick with them.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they just swept Oklahoma at home. People thought that, Okay, that may get him in. But if they would have won that game last night against number nine rank Vanderbilt one strike away from ensuring you're in the NCAA tournament, they still have.
Speaker 2: Two more chances though. Yeah, but I mean, when you get up five to nothing in the first inning, you think that's the one that you're gonna get right there, Yeah.
Speaker 4: To be a strike away, they pitching change a little questionable there. I feel bad for the kid giving up a three run bomb to lose the game. Like I said, there was no doubt. When the ball hit the bat, it was over. You didn't have to see it through.
Speaker 2: All right. So here's my question about UK basketball for a second. So I think pretty much every fan would say that Mark Pope's first year was a success. Would you agree with that? Yeah, there's any you think he has any outliers that don't believe year one was a success?
Speaker 3: Overall, absolutely a success.
Speaker 2: I would say, if you were to do like they do with presidents, the approval rating, wouldn't you say that Mark Pope is now one hundred nine percent? I mean high nineties, high nineties. So let's talk about year two. Probably top two or three in money spent in the transfer portal, if not number one, right there at the top two or three, good recruiting class, top eight team probably coming into the preseason in the rankings. What do you think Mark Pope needs to do? Slash? What is the expectation this year? If you were to say, if I were to get a call from a national radio show that says, Matt to make Mark Pope the fans still happy? What does he need to do in year two? What would you answer that question?
Speaker 3: That's a good question because obviously they're gonna be a better team this year, so I think you still gotta win these, you know, the higher profile games, the Louisville's, the Gonzagas, the Indiana's, you gotta win them and from March, and I think it all comes down again to March. I think he's got to get probably to the to the weekend, the final weekend, maybe even on the Sunday this year. What the team he's got because the SEC.
Speaker 2: Is what are you saying, you know he needs to make the Is that the elite A?
Speaker 3: No, the SEC tournament? Yeah, the SEC Tourna. I think he's gonna at least get to Sunday.
Speaker 2: And he's gotta get the championship.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think so, because the SEC is gonna be down a little this year, not as strong as it was last year. They'll gonna be good, but you may have the best team in the league. And then when it comes to the NCAA Tournament, I mean maybe you think he's got to maybe sniff it at the final four if they gotta beat on a buzzer beater, and I'm not gonna be mad, but I think they gotta be snipping at the final four.
Speaker 4: What do you think you can't ask him to do much better than he did in the non conference last year beating Duke gonzag and.
Speaker 2: Louisville so bat Ohio state team. That's true.
Speaker 4: I did in factor that one in, but the what were they ten and eight in the SEC? I think you got to be in the mix for the regular season championship, especially with the SEC being down. I think you got to go to Nashville as the top two seed. You know, Florida's defending champ and they reloaded. I'm not gonna demand that Kentucky wins. I hope they win, but you got to be in the conversation to get some SEC rings again. And uh, definitely second weekend of the tournament and you should be knocking on the door for the final four.
Speaker 2: Yeah. For me, we need to contend for the SEC regular season title, whether we win it or not. It's been a few years since we've been playing for that title.
Speaker 4: I mean, well, we we were at two seed and Cal's last year and in the SEC turn.
Speaker 2: We lost in the first round. Yeah, yeah, right, And I believe the team that won won by a decent amount, right three games. I want to see us I agree with you, and that he's gonna have, if not the best roster, the second best roster. I think we need to be more consistent in the regular season. But the tournament, I mean, do you think it is final four or is it just get to that where games go either way?
Speaker 3: I'm kind of there. I mean, I think they got a team good enough to make the final four. But like I said, if they get they play a powerhouse team in the lead eight and get beat in a buzzer bill little in the final seconds, I think I'm gonna be all happy with it. I'm not saying they have to get to the final four to make me happy. Just play at that level. Play at that final four level.
Speaker 4: It's hard to say you got to make the final four because it's so random and hard to do that even when you're in a top seed. But I think you should be a top two seed in the tournament to give yourself the best chance. I certainly be in the lead eight and then whatever happens there as long as you don't get blown out, you can live with it. But I mean this hopefully we never have to we did last year where it's like could we play on Wednesday in Nashville or Thursday. You get a little pass on the losing to Georgia and Ole Miss and being in the middle of the pack in the conference. You got to get back to competing for SEC championships.
Speaker 2: Good things about Mark Pope is if he was sitting here, he would agree with all this. He is the one that says bring the expectations on. He doesn't say you people are crazy, you need to lower your expectations. He says, our expectations need to be high. Uh, and I appreciate that. With basketball season over, now is the perfect time to tackle that remodel you've been putting off. My friends at State Renovations they do kitchens, bass basements and even decks, and they do it right, guaranteed p at pricing, no surprise costs, daily updates, and a true turnkey experience. It's a State Renovations, local professional and BBN approved. Go to aestaterenos dot com that's a State R e n os dot com and mentioned KSR and you get half off your design agreement half.
Speaker 3: That's pretty good.
Speaker 2: Remember, I believe that's fifty per We will take a break and be right back. This is KSR. Welcome back, Take You Smarts Radio A five nine two eight oh twenty seven. We were just talking about the PGA Championship is going on at Quel Hollow and the players Drew seem to hate the course, that it was really wet because of rain, and they didn't let him do the lift cleaning place every time somebody hit the ball and come up with a big thing of mud, and they're all they're all complaining about it. I was just saying, you know, they always talk about valhalla, how it never works, and we do arrest the players when they come, which is not necessarily good. We got we need to stop doing that. But outside of that, you know that they've had Tiger win, they had Rory win, they had a great leaderboard last year and then Xander won. I think over what d Chambeau and then the first year we had a Kentuckian with Kenny Perry. Yeah, so he lost, but he was right there to the end. They you know, ends up being pretty good when it's a Valhalla outside of arresting the player.
Speaker 4: Yeah, if you just put that one thing aside, had a good Ryder Cup there too. It's clear they're very when you have Scotti Scheffler taking a microphone and just complaining because he's usually a quiet whatever guy. You know, he's the best of bunch. You don't have to play about it. He was fired up about the conditions yesterday. It's made for other than our boys in the top ten. It's not a great leader poy like.
Speaker 2: I don't even know if I watch it this weekend because the lead I don't know anyone on the leaderboard except except the guys we know personally posting in there. Yeah, I mean besides Yeger and posting like you have no no interesting in Somebody suggested the name for the new show, Ryan, I kind of lie, all right, Matt splaining like man's plaining. Uh huh. But Matt's plaining because they say I would like you know, people accuse me of Matt splaining. What do you think about Matt Splaine.
Speaker 3: I don't hate it. I mean it's one of my favorites so far, I think I've heard.
Speaker 2: I actually think it's pretty good. I'm not gonna lie Drew and it would be unique. It might it might work. That would be the leader for me.
Speaker 4: You are you sticking with lawyers, guns and money as the song or is there a song?
Speaker 2: I think Billy forgot to put a song with it yesterday. I think it just came in with my voice.
Speaker 4: I was a little worried yesterday when you said, how's the podcast set up going? Because doesn't it take like twenty four hours to approve that and.
Speaker 2: Get takes seventy two hours.
Speaker 4: Yeah, So when he said I'll get to that today, I thought, oh, he believe it.
Speaker 2: Was a little stress yesterday.
Speaker 4: I think a little Yeah, the show fell apart. That wasn't Billy's fault.
Speaker 2: He was.
Speaker 4: You should have seen him running around the Lexdent studio trying to figure out.
Speaker 2: He was working hard. I think he was a little stressed. The Ohio State Legislature is debating a bill today to ban noon kickoffs in the state of Ohio. They want to they're pass the bill that says no Ohio state football game can start until three thirty. They're upset because of their eight home games last year, five of them were at noon, and if you remember, they always played the Ohio State Michigan game at noon every year. The Ohio State Legislature says it doesn't give our fans time to get ready aka get drunk. It hurts our atmospheres. The Big Ten is saying, hey, if you do that, we're gonna stop giving you the big national slots because our big national slot is noon. What do you think about the Ohio state legislator saying no noon kickoffs? Would you be for that? In Kentucky, I'm one of the rare people.
Speaker 3: I think that maybe I kind of like the noon kickoffs here because we got a little pregame here at the restaurant, go to the game, then you got tailgate, but then you took out the evening to do whatever else you want. Kind of makes it a fun side of it. But I think they're right that it does hurt the environment.
Speaker 2: Noon game's environments are in football not as good now. In basketball this year we actually had some good ones. We beat the war at that one where the game started at eleven am. But in football the environment is not as good at noon.
Speaker 4: I understand why they want it to not have all neons, but when the legislators started getting involved with stuff like this, I just think, surely there's something else you could be doing with your time. Then trying to figure out kickoffs for the college football teams in your state.
Speaker 2: And then so we're being like sandwiched by weird state laws. Tennessee, the state legislature yesterday passed the law, and I think this one needs to get a lot more attention because this one could blow up the whole college sports settlement. Tennessee passed the state law that says schools in Tennessee don't have to follow any of the NCAA rules. WHOA, yeah, it's very Tennessee of them. Yeah, it is very Tennessee. But it says they don't have to follow the settlement on Nile and they don't have to follow the NCAA rules. I mean, first of all, that is very Tennessee. You're right, And it's also that could blow the whole thing up. Right, if all these states say you don't have to Let's say, let's say they pass legislation and let's say everybody agrees to a set of rules. If tobacco chew and Tennessee decides we're not going to do it and just pays double, it blows the whole system up. Drew could then.
Speaker 4: The SEC or ever come from the top and then just enforce.
Speaker 2: I think the SEC would have to say, hey, if Tennessee and Vandi, if you're not gonna do it, you can't be in the SEC.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, we're not gonna let you play in our championship.
Speaker 2: The problem is some conference would then take them, and you're right back to the same issue, Ryan, So, I I don't know who pushed that. I don't know if the Tennessee football basketball people pushed it. But that's a law, like they're spending all this time trying to create a system for everybody to follow. If Tennessee just decides we ain't doing it, then I don't know what happens At that point. They could literally they could ruin the whole thing. Let them go then, yeah, kick them out of the SEC. Said if you kick them out of the SEC, the ACC is gonna take them, And you still have the same problem, right You think they would not.
Speaker 3: They would just all the big conference would pass on Tennessee and Vanderbilt.
Speaker 2: Got so much money and they got one hundred thousand people in the stadium. Someone's gonna take them dying. The ACC probably would take them in a heartbeat. So you were going a very selfish thing by the Tennessee legislature to do. I mean, everyone is kind of a green. We gotta come up with something. You got one of the most partisan Republican senators and Ted Cruz and one of the most partisan Democrat ones and Corey Booker, and they're at green. Let's do this together and let's make it work. And then Tennessee's just gonna come around and say, well, we're not gonna follow any of the rules.
Speaker 4: If you told me to guess the state that would do it, Tennessee is a heavy favorite.
Speaker 2: That's actually probably true. Who's next, Shit, Dwayne, Dwayne, I got about thirty seconds, go ahead.
Speaker 5: Hey, I just want to ask questions. You told them about Ted Cruz and Cory Booker. If they come to you and said, Matt, what's the top two or three things you would like to see, yeah, come out of this legislation. What would they going to be the tour you would like?
Speaker 2: I would say, if you want to create legislation that can last, make the players sign two year contracts, the schools have to guarantee they guarantee the scholarship for the two years, one transfer, and then the money is twenty two million dollar you distribute it in the law but you give the players the ability to go get their own endorsements, but they have to be real endorsements. That's what I would do. We'll take a break, be right back