Speaker 1: You are listening to the Dan Patrick Show on Fox Sports Radio.
Speaker 2: And we can get into the nepotism discussion at some point this hour, because I do think that sometimes, you know, nepotism is obviously a derogatory term, but there is there is something too, Dan, the fact that, for example, I didn't get my job at Green Bay because of nepotism, but I grew up in a household. My dad was a coach, my brother became a coach, like basketball is kind of what we do, and so I just, you know, we look at this in some sort of like nefarious connotation that you grew up in the family business. Kyle Shanahan's dad even work right away for his dad. But Kyle Shanahan's a dude that's turned out to be pretty good, you know, pretty good at his job, and kind of we could go through it. Does it's not necessarily a prerequisite for everybody, but doesn't hurt you know.
Speaker 3: It's funny you did say earlier in the show, you were talking about how embarrassing some people were in trying to justify it. Even though I don't agree with the people who say that it's okay it's nepotism, it's fine. I don't think the Lakers should have drafted Bronnie James, but nonither here nor there. I at least respect them being honest with the decision. It's the people who are trying to convince us that there is a basketball reason on why Bronnie James went number fifty five, which is what you touched on earlier. But for those that are saying like, yeah, it's nepotism, it happens all the time. This doesn't bother me. I actually can respect that a whole lot more of the people trying to convince me why this is a great move for the Lakers on the court.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I like, look, there is something too and we always you know, like harken back to the you know, Tommy Boy is a movie, and I can tell you that in basketball, when you're the coach's son, it's usually a lot more difficult. You know, you're held to a higher standard. That's just the reality of it. When you're a star player's son. Yeah, I mean, doors get open for you. But I do think that people can judge you more harshly as well. This one, though, is just it's a weird one because everyone seems to be scared to tell lebron James the truth. You know, I mean Paul George comparing him to Drew Holiday. How they both played in the same league in high school, and I guess they're both you know mc donald's all Americans, But I mean, Drew Holiday is one of the best high school prospects I've ever evaluated ever. They just dominated the game in a way I both ends with grace and skill and intelligence. And like Bronnie James is a nice player. I didn't see one high school game that he dominated, And there wasn't a high school game that I didn't see Drew Holiday dominate. Their impact at their schools, and I know Drew came off the bench because Darren Collison State, but like it, comparing the two of them is offensive. But the only reason that that I think a Paul George would do that is because you're trying to find a guy who, you know, the best things he does you can't quantify with stats. You know, you're like, well, his defense is great, and he's his defense is better than his offense. It's a little bit like saying it's her personality, right, but like, let's let's not let's not compare it with.
Speaker 3: You a holiday.
Speaker 2: Let's just not do that that that makes you sound like you've never seen either play at the same age they are. They're both African American, they both played in the Mission League, and I guess they're both technically McDonald's all Americans. That's where it ends. That's where it ends. I saw this story and I just I want to have a discussion about it because this is Dan Patrick Show on Fox Sports Tradio. For people don't listen to Fox Sports Radio outside of Dan, which I understand. Dan's a legend. I grow I've listened to him. I've worked with him at two different networks now obviously, But if you don't, my afternoon show's called The Doug Gottlieb Show on Fox Sports Radio from three to five Easter and we also have an our podcast. Dan Bayer is alongside today and of course he's part of my show as well, and then he has his own show on Sundays right here on Fox Sports Radio. And I bring that up because do you do you buy the Sunday ticket when you have, you know, all the games in front of you at work, or do you not buy it to save the money. Then it's coming to work IM.
Speaker 3: Watch home, so I had previously bought it and then even during COVID had it at home, and before I was doing the Sunday show, I had it. But once I've you know, been now in the studio here and COVID's over with, I have not subscribed the last year or so.
Speaker 2: Okay, I've been a Sunday Ticket subscriber for the last I would say probably, I mean twenty years. And I don't know how many people know this, do you do? You guys know, do we have this discussion on where who invented like Sunday Ticket, like where it all came from?
Speaker 3: I don't think so. Really, yeah, it doesn't.
Speaker 4: So.
Speaker 2: Eric Shanks, okay, who's the CEO and executive broducer of Fox Sports. He he was in Europe and they took him to this place and they basically had a hub and I don't remember well recall what it was called, but they had a Sunday ticket like for international soccer, and it was a room when you walked in and there's like, you know, eight different matches going on, and you had the broadcast and they're literally headphones on they're calling the matches off their TV and they pap a guy on the shoulder and they would throw to his game and then he'd you know, he'd take it to you know, what was going on with Liverpool, you know, and they're on the pitch right, and then let's slow this to Real Madrid and now, thank you about much ahead. Real Madrid's it right. So that's how it. That's so he took the model. He brought it back to the States. I believe he worked for Direct TV at the time, and they created the red Zone.
Speaker 3: Oh, the red Zone. Okay, I got ya. I'm thought you meant the whole package of just airing the games, but our red zone was developed.
Speaker 2: Yeah, just the idea of just the idea of throwing from game to game to game. Because I okay, I mean you had it for a long time. What percentage of times did you watch red Zone? Which percentage of time did you just stick with one game?
Speaker 3: I am I am the rarity where I was not a red zone watcher. Whether it was our buddy Andrews Ciciliano or if it was Scott Hansen, I was not a red zone guy. I was watching the games and going back and forth or even maybe at times watching the mixed channel with all the games on at the same time.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Jason Stewart, are you a mixed guy or you were you a red zone guy or an individual individual guy?
Speaker 5: I think I got the DirecTV Sunday ticket once in my entire career once, and then I realized I'm not watching a tiny percentage of these games. Red Zone consumes my Sundays and it has for many years. That's all I do for the ten o'clock Pacific time games and the one o'clock Pacific time dames is basically all red Zone and a lot of that is because of Fantasy, right. I mean, we all have to do work on Sundays and pay attention, but Fantasy the best way to follow your team is on the red zone.
Speaker 2: So a jury in Los Angeles, the US District Court ordered the NFL to pay more than four point seven billion dollars in damages Thursday, after ruling that the league violated antitrust laws in distributing out of market Sunday afternoon games on a premium subscription service. The jury awarded four point seven billion in damages to the residential class and ninety six million in damages to the commercial class. Since damages can be tripled under federal an trust laws. The NFL could end up being liable for fourteen point thirty nine billion dollars. Now, the lawsuit covered two point four million residential subscribers. That's amazing that only two point four million people on average. Hat it. I feel like I thought everybody had red zone and forty eight thousand businesses in the United States who paid for the package of out of market games for the two from the twenty eleven through the twenty twenty two seasons on direct TV. The laws who claimed the league broke anti trust laws by selling its packages of Sunday games at an inflated prices. Subscribers or subscribers also say the league restricted competition by offering Sunday ticket only on a satellite provider. The NFL office is going to fight it now here. Here's my question, Like, I don't understand this at all, and we need to get we need to get I have a bunch of lawyer friends. I'm gonna call them. I don't understand. Like, if you don't want the package and it's too expensive, well don't buy the package. Do you violate anti trust laws if you drive up the price of your your tickets at your stadium or parking at your stadium. Like I'm I've never really heard like it is a free market society. And oh yeah, by the way, the reason that they restricted the petition was they paid a ton of money in order to broadcast the Sunday ticket and so to make up for that money spent, and then to make money to keep the lights on, you had to charge absorbent fees for it. And oh yeah, by the way, the other truth to it is and I don't even know, like last year was expensive. I didn't watch it nearly as much as I wanted to on on YouTube TV. But you can watch it obviously in your phone, so much easier. It's still a bargain.
Speaker 3: Right, is it?
Speaker 2: Yes?
Speaker 3: I don't know if it is.
Speaker 2: I okay, Like, listen, we grew up. You grew up in Wisconsin. So on a Sunday when you're a kid, what games were on?
Speaker 3: Well, the Packers were on, they stopped.
Speaker 2: The Packers went, and the Packers were bad. What if there's another NFC game you want to watch, couldn't watch it right at the same time?
Speaker 3: Correct?
Speaker 2: Okay, so you were blocked in by your local So this allowed you to watch anybody anywhere at any time. And then oh yeah, by the way, like if you compare that to what it would cost to go watch a game, you know, or what it would cost to have multiple satellites or you know, you can't watch multiple chants, Like, it's not that much money, truly, isn't.
Speaker 3: I understand what you're saying in terms of if you want it, you'll pay enough for it. The two problems that I see are Number One, the NFL in their argument was they were also protecting CBS and Fox that they wanted more people to go to their broadcast, especially in the late window. I would say that's where they get their biggest clears. Usually that's where you'll see, you know, the Cowboys and forty nine Ers and the Chiefs and Bengals playing in those four to twenty five Eastern Time kickoff games. They wanted to maximize that. But did it really cost three hundred and fifty dollars to put this all on? Could you have given your fans the opportunity for two hundred was two hundred two low that you thought that maybe then they wouldn't take in. I don't think that it was in Goodell's argument of saying, the fans want more football, this is why we went to a seventeenth game. The fans want more football. Well, apparently you're not willing to give it to them unless they pay this crazy amount of money to see all of these games. So he's talking on on one side of his mouth and saying this is why we should expand for more money, and then on the other side of his mouth we're saying, well, then we're going to charge so much, so if fans really want to watch more football, they're going to have to pay this much. To me, it's mixed messaging on that point and just not taking care of your of your really your main product, and that's your fan base that has made every single football episode a top fifty program for how many years?
Speaker 2: Okay, so there's a little contradiction in what you're saying. Right, they wanted to protect Network TV and they succeeded in doing so. Meanwhile, they did charge you an arm and a leg for those of us who are football fanatics who want to watch all the games, and they made money with that. And by the way, just so you're just so aware, I mean, like, look, some of this comes down to the NFL charged such a high a dollar amount for the broadcast rights of Red Zone and Sunday Ticket. Okay that it really bled bled at and t dry, right. I mean it's one of the reasons they let the package go and it went to YouTube was it was just too expensive. But it all worked, like everybody's making money. The stadiums are full, people watch TV. I don't understand it all worked. And if people don't want to pay it, then don't pay it. You still got your free TV. I don't understand how you can get something which is an extra benefit and you're like, yeah, that's too expensive. Like no, I mean, look do I this is? This is? Can we go through Chipotle and all these other places that charge absorbinent fees for an avocado for avocado? Right? If you don't want avocado, don't get avocado. You know avocado is extra. Did you know how Vocado's extra of I know avocado?
Speaker 3: Nobod I could also go to the store and buy avocados until.
Speaker 2: You get I remember you no, no, no, no, you go home and watch You can watch the NFL. You just can't watch the game that you select. There's no world in which you can't watch with rabbit years. If you still have rabbit eears, you can still watch the NFL. It's the exact same thing. I mean, Look, it doesn't make any sense to me that oat milk I get oat milk in my coffee. Oat milk should is cost the exact same amount, if not, in some places, less than dairy. I work for the state of Wisconsin. The should mention that I do that might have been that might have been a colossal mistake. I do love cheese. Yeah, I love cheese. I just oh man, I just, I mean, I haven't coached the game yet. I just I just took an ol. Anyway, The point is like, okay, so this doesn't make sense to me, right that if I get If I go get coffee at any local coffe place and I get oat milk, somehow, it's more expect when oat milk costs the exact same amount as dairy, the exact same, in many ways less money than dry. Why am I paying? But I gook, that's the choice I make. I can still have coffee, I can still have milk in it, or I can have oat milk in my house and pour it in. But if I want to pay the seventy five cents extra. You gotta put a little oat milk in so I you know, you can still watch. No one stopped you from watching NFL football. This was a special package for those of us who are insane football fans who have multiple fantasy football teams, as as Jason Stewart talked about, who want to watch an out of the market game, who want to watch you know, the the rare you know, the rare Charger fan who wanted to watch the Chargers like me when you're living, you know, in New England, which I did at the time, So I'm watching like every Charger game. Okay, So you gotta pay a little extra, And if you don't want to pay extra, then you don't pay extra. If it gets too expensive, then don't do it.
Speaker 3: But if ESPN is saying seventy bucks versus three hundred, and that is I mean, that's that's not just a little bit more. It almost feels like it's the medication thing, right, Like I mean, if you need your diabetes medicine, Like you could charge whatever for insulin, but it's kind to be at some point be affordable, right, I mean, like that's that's what it feels like the NFL is taking I got, I got it.
Speaker 2: It is and it isn't like seventeen weeks at three hundred and fifty bucks. Like you can't. You're not gonna pay twenty bucks a week to watch every every NFL game. You don't have to get off your couch, you don't have to go to a stadium, you know. Like they also have to protect the people coming into the games. May get special for people to come into games. That's the one thing about how easy the ease of use. I mean, that's the what what's the reason that I don't like going to NFL games? I mean I last couple of years, I go to Charger games. I always go to Sunday night and Monday night games, specifically, I never go to the four o'clock starts. Why because then you can't watch any other games. You miss everything. So you have to kind of protect the games as well. I just this is one which it's gonna get kicked to a judge, and the judge is gonna give them a favorable ruling. They're not paying it this money. That just and I understand it does get more and more and more and more expensive, but so has everything else so and the ESPN thing, like, yeah, they could charge seventy bucks. ESPN also makes what nine dollars a sub you know, they make nine hours of so they're already making money and they can charge a little bit less because they're like Costco. Right, they sell everything in bulk. So, by the way, ESPN down to seventy million subs, that is a low number. That's an interesting discussion for another day as well. Dan Patrick Show rolls on here on Fox Sports Radio. He's Danbyer, I'm Doug Gottlieb. Luxury X SUVs now come with the luxury of choice. Mercedes Benz has gone gas electric and plug in hybrid offerings. Learn more about the E Class SUVs your local dealer at nbusa dot com slash special offers. All right, Coming up next on the Dan Patrick Show, how do we feel about nepotism in business? Nepotism in sports? Let's get to that next one.
Speaker 1: Fox Sports Radio has the best sports talk lineup in the nation. Catch all of our shows at Foxsports Radio dot com and within the iHeartRadio app search FSR to listen live.
Speaker 6: Hey what's up, everybody, It's me. Three time pro bowler LeVar Arrington and I couldn't be more excited to announce a podcast called up on Game?
Speaker 3: What is up on Game?
Speaker 6: You ass along with my fellow pro bowler TJ. Hutschman Zada and Super Bowl champion Yup, that's right, Plexico Burrus. You can only name a show with that type of talent on it. Up on Game We're going to be sharing our real life experiences loaded with teachable moments. Listen to Up on Game with me LeVar Arrington, TJ. Huschman Zada and see what to Cope Burrs on the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcast or wherever you get your podcast from.
Speaker 2: Good Onring to You. Dan Patrick show rolls on a Friday Meet Friday here on Fox Swards Radio along with Dan Byram, Doug Gottliebin for Dan and the Dan Nets. More of the best or maybe worst debates in all those sports upcoming later on this hour. Let's talk some NBA draft as it did conclude the two day NBA draft. Mark stein joins us. Of course he's an NBA insider. He publishes a substack called the Steinlein Plus. He hosts an amazing podcast it's called This League Uncut with fellow insider Chris Haynes, you can find it where you find podcasts. Steany the two day Draft? Are we gonna keep doing this? Because outside of the Brownie James faux drama, not a lot of reasons to watch Day two for those of us who aren't those other people who aren't massive heads.
Speaker 4: Well, look, there's going to be a lot of discussion obviously about execution and you know, doing it in a separate studio and having no crowd for the second round picks. I mean, I certainly didn't like any of that, but I am a fan of the two day draft. Doing it all in one day is a really long process. I mean, the first round just takes so long. And I totally disagree with the notion that there's no interest because you know, this is this is my audience. I mean in interest in every two way contract, every injury update, every anything in the NBA is ravenous. So I do not believe that there's not enough interest to have the draft on a second day. I didn't like a lot of the execution elements, but I think it definitely should continue because that to do it to stuff picks into one day, and then there's the frenzy always right after the draft about you know, guys who didn't get drafted and where they're going to go for two ways and camp deals and stuff. Really it's just way too much to put into one day. So I maybe, I mean, obviously I am an extreme hoop head, but I hope it continues.
Speaker 3: I think the real question maybe be should it be televised? Well, I mean it's and obviously ESPN has a value for it. But to what Mark is saying, and Doug, to what you're saying, it's almost a question of there seems to be a need for it for the hoop heads and those that live and die with it and the front offices that want it. But if you don't have Bronnie James in there for the final thirty picks, how much does it? Does it work across the board? In what is you know, broadcasting? I guess that would be I don't know, maybe put it on NBA TV. Who knows?
Speaker 4: What is it keeping off television? Though? I mean, it's just you know, like, what's the harm in it? I just you know, like a that I am. I And look, I've maybe I've been in the minority on this from the start. I know, when it was first discussed way back at the start of the season. I threw it out to my readers and more than I expected said they weren't looking forward to it. But like you know, again, I live in this world where you know this is. I just finished my thirty first season, and I could just tell you that the interest in every little transaction, it only goes up more and more and more. The NBA was not like this when I started.
Speaker 2: No, no, I listen, it's it's totally fair Steinning and I did the draft for twelve years. I actually got my stats started ESPN in the two thousand and three NBA draft, right, and because I'd played against Darko twice and so I get it, and the and the second round was it was a joke. It was so fast and so furious, and so many trades and no one knew. So I agree with you on the execute of it, right, Like why are you having stephen A up there? And WOJ has to be up there for all the moves, But you have to have the Bobby Marxs of the world, the guys that explain like what all these deals are and how they're doing it and can't take time. But you can't move it to a live audience because nobody's gonna come watch, right, That's like, why did they do it in the studio because they probably didn't think anybody's showing up to an arena. They're just not There's just not the level of interest. Is there international interest?
Speaker 4: Then I think they can find a different venue, a smaller venue, and people would go. Because there are a lot of fans who are priced out of games, who are priced out of going to the big show first round NBA Draft. I don't believe that. I think there is a live audience that would attend. And again I'm just telling you guys from my own personal experience. I got my start covering the NBA because way back in the day, nobody went to Summer League. The writers covering the league didn't even want to go to Summer League. It was that small of a thing. And now to see what Summer League is in Vegas. Summer League in Vegas is its own industry unto itself. So, like I said, I do not I do not buy that it that it cannot be compelling Tellovision. It wasn't yesterday, but you could do it a lot better.
Speaker 3: I would also argue I guess to Mark's point, the NFL the day three. I mean, there's maybe a random college football guy that we all know of. Otherwise you're just looking for your own team or school. But anybody that's hanging out at the draft really doesn't care that the third round is actually going on on that Saturday.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I've never understood guy who goes to draft draft.
Speaker 5: To be.
Speaker 2: At it like why why why NFL draft? It feels a little different. But even that, like two hundred and fifty thousand people, it's like why Mark Stein Joints is? Okay? What you've also been somebody who, through your time covering has seen the influx of international people. Are we seeing a sea change before or the NBA talent is coming.
Speaker 4: From I don't feel like it's a sea change to people within the league, but I think it's certainly getting more and more attention outside the league, and maybe people are going to start to realize this. But I mean it's you know, the last several years. You know, one of my favorite things when the season starts every October is to get that email from the league when they counted up for you and how many international players are on opening night rosters and it's it's in the one twenty range every year now and this is only a league that you know, with two ways now we can get over four hundred and fifty players, but I mean five hundred players, and you know more than more than a hundred are are from are not from the United States. So you know, there are no secrets in basketball. He's got you know, it's players, no matter where they are playing, are known to NBA teams in their teams, I mean the league. The league scours the globe and is incredibly aware of where to find players, and they will go anywhere to do it.
Speaker 3: Did anybody seriously consider outside of the Lakers taking Bronnie James, was there any any maybe could be an option at all?
Speaker 1: Oh?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I don't think there's I don't think there's any question about it. Look, Phoenix's interest was very well known. I live in Dallas. I know the Mavericks were interested. But it becomes a thing where you know, obviously Rich Paul wanted Ronnie James in the in LA with the Lakers, and so if you're a team with interests, I mean, I you know he's he's I do not find it. You know, had he been taken in the first round, as some people were suggesting. No, that would have been outrageous based on what we've seen from him to this case. But the fact that someone would take a second round flyer on him in a draft that is not considered a good one. I mean, I've heard executives complain about the options in this draft for months, so you know, the notion that he was he was always going to go in the second round. But you know, there are certain agents who have the ability to steer their guys to teams when they want to. This is certainly, you know, not even close to the first time it's ever happened, and so if you're a team with interest, you have to decide do I really want to get sideways with an agent who has other players that we would like to sign. And so it became apparent that once this process got underway that he was going to end up with the Lakers.
Speaker 2: JJ Reik is obviously new head coach the Lakers. They have Dalton Connect who apparently he's been doodling on pin downs for Dalton Connect. I mean, the whole thing is just dumb, with the la narrative that they're putting out there. But whatever, What are they going to do to fix the roster?
Speaker 4: Well, you're right, that is the most important issue, and you know, I think they're thrilled to get connected at seventeen. And look, you know, as I always tell you, you know, I am not monitoring the college game closely, but that seems to be a widely praised pick to be able to get a player who accomplished what he did in college at seventeen. But they still, you know, they cannot do anything meaningful trade wise unless they want to trade Austin Reeves, and the consistent messaging has been that they don't want to trade Austin Reeves. So I don't at this point foresee a major major trade. Can they make some upgrades around the edges? I think that's what they're going to have to go for and rely on internal improvement. But yeah, it's worrisome because we just saw a season where Lebron and Ad were on the floor more than we've seen in their time together as teammates and didn't really make any difference. So can they you know, that's that's as much a question is what can they do with the roster? Can Lebron, who turns forty in December and Anthony Davis. Can they stay on the court as much as we just saw?
Speaker 2: No, No, I mean the likely the likelihood of that happening again is remote, and and you know, and the the outlier was what they were able to do in the playoffs two years ago because Memphis was hurt and they had a good matchup with Golden State, right, and then they get swept away and the West is getting better and they're getting older outside of Austin Reeves. Will they be better coach? I don't think they could be worse coach than they were last year. I don't think Darvin Ham has any idea what he's doing. I think he was a bad fit for the UH, for that team, for that roster, mostly for Lebron James, who is exceptionally bright and demands prepperedness and intelligence in his coaches. Happened he didn't think he got it from from from Darvinham. So I get all that, but coaching can only do so much. This is a league where the best players are always in the NBA Finals or Western Conference finals or whatever, and their best players are getting older, and they're coming off of year. As you point out that they're healthy It's a that's a hard one, right where you do you hang on Oustereves? You not hang on Oustereves? And I don't know what what what? What'd you do? What? What about? They can't run, they can't get rid of D'Angel Russell. Nobody wants to take that deal.
Speaker 4: Well, first Dangel Russell has to make a decision about opting in or opting out. And then if he opted in, you know, presumably they could trade him. But it's not like there's going to be a robust trade market for di'angelo Russell. It's a very tradable contract. So is there some help they can find if that's the route they decide to take. But they might just decide, you know what, we're not gonna be able to get a difference maker, So do we just run it back with the team we have and again, you know, pursue the best, best around the edges moves that they can. And remember, you know, last summer the Lakers got a lot of praise for those type of moves, the small fill in the roster moves they made, and then very few of them actually panned out. They looked good in July and August, and it didn't play out that way. So I mean, you're absolutely right. I mean I would I would push back on the Darvinham thus to some degree because you know, I think he was especially in year one, this team goes to the Western Conference Finals, and remember it's the start was terrible, I think too, and ten in year one for Darvinham oho and five and two and ten, and that thing looked like an absolute disaster. And I thought he provided a leadership and a stability. And you know, the coach of today and the coach in today's NBA is more than ever the team spokesman. They have to speak to the media several times the day, and I just thought Darvinham provided a lot of deal in that position. And when things were going really, really bad for the Lakers last season, obviously he lost the faith from his main two guys. As the season we're on, and there's no disputing that. But you know, I think, you know, Starvinham getting helping the Lakers reach the conference finals in year one should not be overlooked. But where I do agree with you is the state of the West. I mean, the West was an absolute monster and it is only getting better because even at the bottom, we know San Antonio is going to be a tougher out in year two for Wembin Yama. You know, Portland just made a very nice move to add Denny Afdia. You know they will be better to a degree. In Memphis, you would expect them to bounce back. Houston has such big ambition to try to go out and get a front line player. You know, they're very active in the off season trade market and what they're trying to do. So yeah, I mean the West is just as as stacked as it's ever been.
Speaker 3: And the Phoenix Suns in Matteshpia released the statement on the Durant rumors with the Rockets. How I guess how long or what is the expiration date of that statement of support, Like, at what point do the Suns maybe make a decision on Durant if it's not going to be right now?
Speaker 4: Well, what happens on the court will tell us that. I mean, the Suns feel like last year was a disaster because they, you know, Durant, Booker and Beal if my memory is correct, they only ended up on the court together in forty one regular season games, exactly half the season. You can't do that and expect to have any kind of playoff continuity, and especially when you know the three of them, there are already concerns about fit and can you build a defense around these guys? And they all want to operate in the mid range at a time when the three point shot and just getting off three point shots three point volume is as important in the NBA as making them, And so there are all these questions and they didn't have a season even to work on it. So the Sons want to believe that with a new coach, with Mike Budenholzer coming in with a full season of better health, that they can be a factor. But look, I totally am with you. The skepticism is there and undeniable, and the questions are still there. Can you really build a defense when those are your three main guys? And the Sons, because they've spent so much on putting the three of them together, they're so far into the luxury tax, they don't have the mechanism to really change the team and bring in defenders. They have to re sign Roys O'Neil because they have no way to even replace him if they lose Roys O'Neil in free agency. So yeah, the skepticism is undeniable. And if things if the Suns have another half season like they just had this season, I mean they you know, the pressure on them will out. And look, their phone is going to ring, whether they want it or not, not if it can say anything he wants to. But if there are teams out there interested in Kevin Durant and I don't think there's any question that the Rockets fall into that category, they will test the Sun's results.
Speaker 2: Mark Stein, you want to know what's going on the NBA, read a substack called the Steinline and download his podcast, This League Uncut with fellow insider Chris Haynes. Mark, have a great weekend.
Speaker 4: Thanks for joining us, so good guys. Take care.
Speaker 2: All right, this is the Dan Patrick Show here on Fox Sports Radio. Along with Dan Byer, I'm Doug Gottlieb. We got an outstanding, outstanding show for you. Up coming next we'll resolve more of the best or worst sports debates of all time, The Dan Patrick Show Fox Sports Radio.
Speaker 1: Be sure to catch the live edition of The Dan Patrick Show weekdays at nine am Eastern six am Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 2: All right, now you're Awake on a Friday Huh Patrick Show, Fox Sports Radio aw with Dan Byrom, Doug Gottlieb. Do you think when DJ's you Rock and Rubbas for making the song, they knew that thirty five years later it would still be a jam Ntuh.
Speaker 3: It's every musician's dream, right.
Speaker 2: I get stupid if he contageous. So we did this in the first hour and I loved it. I loved it. It's the best or as you put it, they had worst sports debates of all time? Right, yes, right, because.
Speaker 3: Let's saying these are good. These are just the ones that are always out there.
Speaker 2: Okay, So again, coming off of last night's debate, a presidential debate, we thought we'd be clever and try and settle or at least take sides on some of the best or worst sports debates of all time. We're allowing Dan the dual role of dual role of debater and moderator.
Speaker 3: It's a role that I take with a lot of gratitude, but also I understand the importance of it, so this is not lost on me. Doug. Just to recap, you three were on the Jordan's side of the of the Lebron Jordan Goats debate. I took Lebron and then we were split. Doug and I went Bird, and then Joel and Jason went Magic, and the Magic Bird debate. We stick with the NBA Bulls dynasty or Warriors dynasty. Doug on that debate, where do you stand? Because that's where what we want to know in these debates. Where do you stand?
Speaker 2: Bulls dynasty? Bulls dynasty? I mean six and zero in the NBA Finals. Granted, you know they did have Jordan when they lost to the Ortlanta Magic in the Eastern Conference Finals the year he came off of Baseball War forty five, but the the sheer dominans never went to a seventh game. I'm not holding it against the Warriors that they added Kevin Durant, nor am I giving them a break because they had all this, you know, the rash of injuries with KD and then Clay going down in their last NBA Finals with that group, and then of course coming back and winning a couple years later. But I'm gonna go Bulls, just the sheer dominance of them. Yeah, that would be my that'd be my peck.
Speaker 3: Jason Stewart, Yeah, I'm gonna go bulls.
Speaker 5: I feel like, if you're a Jordan guy in the Jordan Lebron date are debate, I think you just go bulls here because Jordan and Bulls they're on the same team.
Speaker 3: Then I am a walking contradiction. I'll go bulls as well, even though I have Lebron over Jordan and the debate, Joel, will it be a clean sweep or will the Warriors get a vote? As a true Piston fan, I do say Jordan too. Three peats. That's what I always say about Jordan. Two three peats? All right? Our next topic of conversation eighties nineties.
Speaker 2: Hold on real quick, Joel Jordan, Joel Jordan, Jordan. No, you're supposed to say two three peats. You said. That's what I always say about Jordan. It's two three beats, Joel Jordan. Uh, three p there you go? Here you go. Look, you'd be walking down the street and be like, are you Joel? Yeah, Jordan to three peats? There you go like a he did it. He did the two three peats thing, all right, So I go ahead.
Speaker 3: That's all right. Eighties and nineties NBA versus the twenty teens. In the twenty twenties NBA.
Speaker 2: Are we really having to I know, we really having this debate? Looked eighties? I mean, I look, you watch eighties like there's and I'm somebody obviously I will tell you the skill now, the skill now, the shooting and passing skills and spacing. It can be a beautiful game to watch, and the Warriors are incredibly fun to watch. But the competitiveness, the the chippiness, UH don't know. Those guys are just bigger than life. Eighties and nineties and I don't think it's close if you lived through both.
Speaker 5: Eras Jason Stewart, I think for the same reason I prefer eighties and nineties movies. I was more naive, I was more open to creativity. I'm too cynical and too many years into the business now to like the modern NBA. I'm gonna stick with the eighties and nineties.
Speaker 3: There is something nostalgic about turning on a TV and seeing fifty five to forty eight with ten minutes left in the game. But that's where we were in the eighties and nineties. Giving me the eighties and nineties, Joel, will it be a clean sweep again? Yes, that was a Piston score you just gained. I go with eighties.
Speaker 2: I mean, like, look, I can't imagine they would haul off and arrest Bill Ambier for the stuff he did back then, but somehow like it was part of the sport, firs sport and only to correct you a little bit, Dan, they actually scored a lot in the eighties and nineties. It was the two early two thousands post Jordan, sure that it got to be really really ugly and low scores.
Speaker 3: Definitely more in the nineties. Not yeah, not as much in the eighties, but but uh but yeah, fair enough. Shaq versus Kobe. This is a debate that has happened probably many a time in laker Lands.
Speaker 2: Way, Shack versus Kobe in terms of what.
Speaker 3: Well, who's sayan Who's who is the reason for the Lakers? Who's the championships? Who was? Who is the better Laker? Who is the better player? Shack versus Kobe?
Speaker 2: Kobe was the better player, but Shack was this incredible dominant physical force Shack. Kobe got more out of his body than Shack could have been. The greatest player ever just wanted to be Shack. So I'm gonna go Coche. I wasn't a huge Kobe fan until kind of the end when he evolved as a person and and became actually a friend. But I think in this case you have to go Kobe Bryant.
Speaker 3: Jason Stewart.
Speaker 5: Yeah, my opinions evolved on this. I was I was team Shock when they broke up, but I've evolved. I'm Kobe now Kobe looking back, it's all Kobe.
Speaker 3: Give me Shaquille O'Neal, Joel Elliott your final Shack Daddy split on Kobe versus Shack. By the way, this wraps up the NBA portion of our debate. However, Golf, Tennis, NBC primetime TV shows in so much more coming up at the end of the show.
Speaker 2: Oh, I like the NBC. We got least some extra time for that last segment. Okay, final hour of the Dan Patrick Show. Here before we send you off to the weekend and to meet Friday, we got to get to should show Hey o Tani being the home run Derby. We wanted to have that debate Jason and I. We do that. Plus Bronnie James is a laker? Should he be? That's next to The Dan Patrick Show.