Speaker 1: Hey, thanks for listening to the Covino and Rich Podcast. Be sure to catch us live every weekday from five to seven Eastern to the four Pacific on Fox Sports Radio. Find your local station for Conveno on Rich at Foxsports Radio dot com, or stream us live every day on the iHeartRadio app. It's like searching FSR. I'll tell you I'll be lamping all weekend if I make it to the East coast. This big snowstorm Fern is causing lots of have it on the East coast Fern. No, I'm supposed to be heading from the West coast to the East coast this weekend. We'll see we speaking of storms, Covino and Rich taking the world by storm and scattered showers sweeping the nation. CNR on FSR broadcasting live from the Fox Sports Radio Studio. Yeah, pump for this weekend UFC three twenty four, your conference championship NFL. We'll be talking about all that and more and getting you involved like we always do. But first, this the weekend, we'd be rocking out Sam getting it started. Sam is the sound architect. He's on the ones and twos. We got Danny g the executive producer of what we do. A professional producer, that's who he is. And Spotty's on the videos. Dan Bayer, the Genius dB is here with insight and updates. But right now we want to remind you to catch our Best of the week. We have the Best of the Week. It drops every Saturday morning, six am Eastern Standard time. Search Covino and Rich wherever you stream. And speaking of streaming, Rich, we're streaming live right now on YouTube Covino and Rich FSR Covino and Rich FSR, and the live chat is popping, so people already talking smack and we welcome it here on the Covino and Rich Show. Everything at Covino and Rich. Let the wild rump is start. Let's go. How's your Thursday man? A right, it was all good man, Honestly, it's it's winding down, meaning we're so used to Thursday night football that hasn't been a thing for a few weeks. I'm in that mode where a lot of people are where it's like, all right, we got three football games left, Champion of Chip games that we got to wait a couple of weeks for the Super Bowl. Before you know it, we'll be in Santa Clara bringing all the fun to you line for super Bowl week. That's how I'm seeing, and then we have already said farewell to college football. Fernando Mendoz's on late night TV. He's talking about his future before you know. Him and Jimmy Fallon. Man, what a wild pairing. He's just he's more animated than Jimmy Fallon. It's so wild, it's so likable. Danny g I think I'm going to be a Raiders fan. Man, I don't know that Fernando song has been stuck in my head for a week. Abba has got to be the happiest old school group of Yeah.
Speaker 2: Who ever owns those masters, they're getting some major royalties right now. But I'm going to tell you guys, what's going to be weird is after the Super Bowl YouTube leading with an NBA headline. That's what is weird. To football winds down, We're gonna have.
Speaker 1: To really interesting. I was talking to I was talking to some East Coast buddies. I know Salakata, who is a regular on Stutgatts, who is now on before us, we used to work with sal At s and Y New York City, And I was talking to some buddies about how regionally sports interests differ so much during different parts of the year. Like right now, if you're on the East Coast, there's a lot of cities that are way into baseball offseason. Like we're not on right now in New York. We're on you know, three four hundred affiliates. You're in New York State. We're not in New York City, but I guarantee, like local New York radio is talking about Bellinger and you know, Bobashett and they're into baseball already, Irons and the Knicks. Yeah, so I mean we're we're talking about nationally though football still came by far by, But I'm getting in that baseball's coming mindset. I'm getting the all right basketball, I'm ready to pay attention mode. But we still, like we said, three big football games left to go, and history would say home underdogs in conference games have always covered and done pretty well. So while they do have steady, can the Broncos get it done with an underdog backup quarterback? Well it's been done before. So before we get into brainwave and weekend hob nobbin and giveaways, let's talk about it. Let's chop it up like we say, backup quarterbacks to win the Super Bowl, it happens. Nineteen eighty eight, Doug Williams ninety one. We were talking about it the other day. Jeff Hostetler two thousand to his mustache. By the way, who was Hosteler's mustache more than him? I think he did have a sweet stash. Look like my dad won a Super Bowl back in ninety one. Kurt Warner in two thousand. That was pre Choppers. Kurt Warner two thousand and one. Trent Dilfer. You had Tom Brady in two thousand and two. Yeah. Man, Now we're in the year two thousands. The last to do it twenty eighteen, Big blank Nick Foles. Nick Foles did it? Oh was it a big year's Nick? Big? Years? Now it was big big Saint Nick.
Speaker 2: Ok.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Saint Nick took Philadelphia by storm, became a hero. And this year twenty twenty six, Jared Stidham has the change.
Speaker 3: Oh.
Speaker 1: You know, you could have added to that list if it weren't for a bad no call in New Orleans against a Ravens defense that held Michael Krabtree. You could have added Kaepernick to that list because if you remember, he took over for Alex Smith and Tada Niners went to the Super Bowl. It wasn't an injury, but he was a guy that started out as a backup. But Danny said there's also a caveat with Jim Punkett as well, because Jim Plunkett at one point was a backup and then would go on to win a Super Bowl. But it's been done. I don't know if it has the same feel for the fan base, which is why I would love to hear from Phil. Would be the first time in the twenty first centree that a backup starts the Super Bowl. I think even conference game Conference championship, who hadn't started all year. Yeah, because uh Nick falls Hosteler, those guys took over towards the final few weeks of the regular site. This guy's just getting thrown in there in one of the biggest games of the year. It has happened, It could happen. He could go all the way. We'll see. You could say, no one fresher than Jared Stidham. No, for sure, got fresh legs. He seems cool and collected about it. He's making statements that he's off social media. He's ignoring all that stuff. He's focused on the game. Seems pretty confident. You know who told him that? Speaking of Jeff Hosteler. Who And it's funny when these people, I wouldn't say, come out of the woodwork. It's not like he was hiding, but it's his moment to give his insight. And Jeff Hosteller has spoken out and said, hey, ignore the noise, and you have more noise now than I had in the nineties there was no social media and there was no X and Instagram. Yeah, I'm pretty sure he could tell I'm off of social media for now or at the moment something like that. Stidham's going to go back to, you know, looking at dumb videos like all of us, but for now, Hosteler's like, avoid the noise. And there's a hell of a lot more noise now than back then. So Stidham could focus. It's avoid the nooid. He just needs to. Honestly, I know you could say, well that's a lot, dude. He needs to play two good football games because he has a good team around them, a great defense, it's not impossible, and a great coach. So your thoughts on can it be done? But then part two of the question, can the only difference here is that he hasn't started all year, but backups have won before and it opens up a bigger conversation. So first your thoughts about Stidham, Do you believe in them? I mean, why not? Right, we've seen it before? Why not him? They have a great team. But then what does it say about Nick's moving forward? What did it say about Wentz moving forward? When Foles did it right sort of tarnishes what he accomplished a little bit. I think it's a terrible thing to happen to a young quarterback that gets injured. If your replacement wins the Super Bowl, then you become the redheaded stepchild? Does that even PC to say nowadays? Can you a redheaded stepchild? No, it's true, shadow become the person that lives in the shadow Carson Wentz. Phil Simms was never the same. In New York, they were quick to be like, yeah, we're sort of done with sim Falls was a hero. Hosteddler is a hero that's kind of hard to overcome. And the more recent one, I said, even though he didn't win. The minute Kaepernick performed, the forty nine ers were sort of bat to Alex Smith. They were like, yeah, later yeah, he became Yesterday's news after that quit the forty nine ers.
Speaker 2: How about how well Davis Mills did as a backup for the Texans this past season and there were obviously talking heads shouting and screaming for him to come in the game over Stroud when Stroud was struggling. If he had put up points and the Texans advanced, we would have had Davis Mills versus Jared Stidham.
Speaker 1: I like to call him CJ Straggling. You know that's pretty good I do have. It's a two layer question cause he knows right, what does it say about the injured quarterback? Subconscious? Listen, you're a team guy. You want your team to win. But there's got to be a part. And bon Knicks would deny it until I know what do they say the cows come home? He would deny forever. But there is a part. Unfortunately, Cage. If Nick Cage was a cow. If Nick Cage was a cow, I don't know. You have not seen that trend on social media as a cow. It's went from it went from owl to cow. You know, it was like they're asking about the celebrities. I didn't I didn't see the cow ones, I know the owl ones. Wow, how would Nick Cage sound as a cow? How would Obama sound as a cow? I don't know, So think about it. Could it happen? What does it say? It says that Peyton's the guy and it was him all along, and that's unfair to bone Nicks. But this is the situa we're in. You know, there's like a you want to feel, wanted to do online conspiracy that it didn't happen on the field his injury. Well, like we said yesterday, there's also a conspiracy that an electrical plant is why Niners are going down. I'm not giving any juice, but our job is to sort of keep you up on what nonsense is going on on social media as well. And there's a theory with the fans that it may have happened during a locker room celebration, because you do see the second class play where they said it happened he sort of springs up, but you do see him wincing and wincing off the field later on. But there is conspiracy that they tried to cover it up. But I think it says a lot about Peyton if Stidham wins now, So now Bonnicks, like I said, I got distracted in my own dumb cow thought. He'll say, until the cows come home. Oh, I want the team to win. But there's a part of Jared, there's a part of Bonnicks. And I promise you, what does a rich Davis cow sound like? I promise you there's a horse count. There's a part there's a part of bow Knicks that wants him to fall just short and be like, man, we really need bow But then you don't get that ring. You want to feel wanted, and then you feel bad that you let your team down too. So Bonnicks wants the team he deep down because and he'll feel like he's responsible for the team in the city not winning because he was injured. If I if I take a day off, if I just if I took a day off, it's like it's tarnished a little bit. If I took a day off, it's like rain. When you read that, uh and we heard oh and that was the best show ever, I'd be really upset. I mean, it's happened. You don't want you want do you want to feel important? Bo Knicks does not want his team to win. You selfishly, he wants the who whole city and the whole franchise and the whole team is suffered because his ankle got hurt. Get out of here. He does not, but it will sting a little bit that he wasn't able to participate in the victory. Other hurt players like auld defender, cornerback, wide receiver, running back, they might want the team to win, but the quarterback is so tied to a franchise and success that I think Bo Nicks he meant that. He may never say it, he would never vocalize it, but deep down inside he's probably like, I don't want this team to win without I disagree. I disagree with that. I do. I got to make it clear, that's rich saying.
Speaker 2: I believe.
Speaker 1: I believe it's rich to hyper cow.
Speaker 4: What's up, Sam, it's not fomo, it's full woe, the fear of winning out and I do believe.
Speaker 1: Fo Yeah, everybody says that's what's history showing. I have a question, is there as a fan, you want to win the championship no matter what for But does it feel weird if your team wins with like not the guy. Yeah, definitely there's a weird feeling, right, But but it's it's been done. So based on that, right, your thoughts on if Stindham could take it all the way. I don't think they're going to make to the super Bowl anyway, but it could happen, right, I don't think they're gonna but it could happen. I think based on that, we also want to chop it up and share some stories about time you stepped into big shoes or other stories that you could recall where someone had to step up and fill in and deliver. They filled in and they did a great job. Who comes to mind? What comes to mind? I mean even in our business, in our industry, it happens all the time. I really would love for someone to tell me that they think bow Knicks like so badly wants his team to win. I know those are his boys, that's his team. I'm saying this is a part of his subconscious He may not even fully realize it himself, but you want to feel one. It's our nature as human beings in a marriage and a relationship. At your job, most selfish families, well, oh you are, you're telling me about like bow Nicks is the most selfless man, our most selfish, self centered guy. You probably know. And I wouldn't even like wish that on my team and my my my peers and my city, like no way, get out of here. I would still want them to win because then I would feel responsible for everybody not winning. I'm sure he's rooting for his team to win. It just sucks. He's in a really crappy situation. You know, it's unfortunate, But I still believe that he believes in his talent and that is not just Peyton if they win. But what are other situations where the backups, you know, came up big? What the Braves won the World Series. I'm pretty sure the year Akunya was out the whole season, Am I right about that? I think Acunya was out the whole year, like, you know, missed the year, and the Braves won the World Series. There's got to be a part of him that while he got a ring, there's there's that weird feeling of like, yeah, I mean I got a ring, but I don't. That's always weird in itself.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he was. He was out in twenty twenty one with the ACL injury.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he told he tore his ACL and everyone's like, oh man, how the brave's gonna do without a cunya they did.
Speaker 2: That happens a lot though it does. That happens a lot, But other players need to rally around each other and step up.
Speaker 1: Gotta step up. Huh you I really think that it is. It's like just subconscious. It's there somewhere that you don't want great things to happen when you're not involved. They feel like lesser or something. You want to feel like you were missed. But I don't know if i'd want my team.
Speaker 2: To lose based on your guys' thoughts here about bo Nicks. Would there be a juicy controversy in Denver if Stidham takes them to the Super Bowl plays big in the biggest game of the year, And you know what I mean.
Speaker 1: Yet another thing bow Knicks doesn't want to have to worry about you. But in reality, Stidham just had to win two games. Bow Knicks, in reality is the guy that took him there the whole season, So there's a lot of pride in that near other.
Speaker 2: Teams would be after Stidham at that point.
Speaker 1: Yes, that's how I see it moving forward. But let's share some other stories and what do you think about what Rich is saying here eight seven, seven ninety nine on Fox at Covino and Rich and of course the live chat on YouTube Coveno and Rich FSR. What comes to mind for you, Rich? Any personal stories I got like a bunch of you would you would feel bad? Let you know, every year we go away with our buds or a little guy's weekend for a football trip. Yeah, if you one year couldn't go, bes had like your daughter's recital or something, and everyone's like, you know what the best year was? And it was that year that you weren't there. That's that's a mean glad you guys had a good time. That's a meaningless example. That means nothing in life. But you'd still be like, oh man, I'm the best time when I wasn't there. Do you think this guy wants his team? He doesn't want it, But it's a tough break put intended, of course he doesn't want it, all right, So I'll kick it off. As a kid, I got three stories, all right, and I'll make them snappy like a rubber band sandwich. As a kid, there was a you know how his Johnny football hero in every town. Don't believe it or not I was only one of those guys. Believe it or not. There was other guys that were really great in my hometown, right shocking, and it was a kid that was older than me. Let's call him bron and rest in peace. He was a stellar athlete, Division one football player. He was drafted by everything, really great athlete in my town. He was about sixteen and I was thirteen, and we were playing what they call Babe Ruth League. We called it teenor League in Union, New Jersey. I remember doing that. I played Connie Mack right, so it's after little league but up to like sixteen year old, and he was the best athlete in town by far. But he was older than me as well, and he was pitching a championship game, so we had it locked. We were in the championship. He's pitching, the best guy in town, got it locked. So I'm just there like, yeah, man, ride, yeah, he's pitching, We're gonna win. I'm just it's my first year in this league. Dude, first inning, the dude's like my elbow and his dad was coaching, took him out of the game like Carino. Like me, I'm thirteen years old. I had no intention of pitching the championship game. Get in there. I'm like me and I dude, I was confident pitch, but I did not plan on pitching the championship game. First year in the league. Dude, I came up stellar bro like a I don't know, like who bro like Nolan Ryan out there. Dude won the championship at thirteen years old, stepped in the big moment? What first inning? Olan Ryan's a big Texan. Can you think of maybe? Can you think of like a five ft seven? You don't get it? That's how I felt, you see what I mean, That's how I found In fact, someone charged him mound, I gave him a double knog and knocker Sandwich gave him all right in professional career. You know this is years later. I'm trying to be a radio storm, driving the van around. I'm just a promotion guy, hanging up banners at the concerts, promoting the station, handing out key chains, and iHeart superstar. Booker couldn't make an interview, and I think I've told this story on the air, right. He couldn't make an interview, And it was Collective Soul of All Bands, which at the time was big. But looking back, who cares shine hit but love that the point is the main DJ guys no booker and striker right. Booker was running later had a cold. I forget what happened. But the boss calls me up and I'm hanging a poster up and he's like, Kavina, what are you doing? I'm like hanging up banners. I don't know. He's like, you gotta do the interview. I'm like me, boom stepped up, knocked it out the park, gave me some confidence and look at me now, well how about you and I Rich As a team, did we not fill in for Steven A. Smith on first take? What the heck were we doing there? I don't know what we did? We fill in for Dan Patrick, we feel in for Colin Cowherd. You gotta step up and seize the moment, seize the day, as even Sevenfold says, let's go to the phone calls. You gotta do. It is Stidham's time, but everybody has those moments where you have to step up and even if you fail, you gotta do your best. You gotta step up and do your best, even if you fall right on your face. You got to give it your all and that's what Stidham has to do. We've all done. Jim and fall River is on the INChO and he's like bon Nix is sitting in a corner somewhere singing cheap trick. I want you to walk me a man, And there's a lot of pride in he got us there. That's the truth. But you saw Peyton was oddly confident stid He's ready to go. We're good, doesn't matter. He kind of made it feel like, doesn't matter. I'm the coach. We got it. That's kind of how it sounded telling you Bonnix does not love this. I of course he doesn't love it, but he doesn't want his team to lose. Backups have won before. Let's talk about other moments. Well, first, your thoughts on that and other moments where someone had a step up and they delivered. Let's do it more seeing our next talking backups talking big moments right here on Fox Sports Radio. All right, So, Draftking Sports Books and official sports betting partner of the NFL makes every playoff moment feel bigger. Oh you said it this weekend. You know I'm I still have not to say. Do I go with the dogs? Do I go with a Stidham or d you say no, no, No, Patriots got this. We'll make our picks later in the show. But DraftKings has your back for something they CARL call early exit protection. If a player in your eligible prop beck goes down at any point in the first half, BET's canceled. You still get paid in cash. Download the DraftKings sportsbook app. Use code CR Show this code crshow to turn five bucks into three hundred bonus bets if your bet wins. In partnership with DraftKings, the Crown is yours.
Speaker 5: Gambling problem Call one eight hundred Gambler New York. Call eight seven seven eight hope in Why or text hope in Why Connecticut Call eight at eight seven eight nine seven seven seven seven or visit CCPG dot org on behalf of Boothill Casino in Kansas. Wager tax passed through may apply in Illinois twenty one plus in most states void in Ontario. Restrictions apply. Bet must win to receive bonus bets, which expire in seven days. Minimum odds required. For additional terms and responsible gaming resources see DKNNG dot co slash audience Limited time offer.
Speaker 1: Oh I want you to want? Steve I mean me, I see Covino, Ross Davis, is Cavino and Rich on Fox Sports Radio telling you deep down inside. Bo Nicks is like, do I really want the Broncos to win without me? That's craziness. Bro You're you saying that says a lot about you. I think it's like Rich wants everyone to fail if he's not around, that's craziness. If I was not here today, I want to show to go off the air. Yeah, but that's wild. No, I'm just saying that's like when that's like next level selfish behavior. When history shows that when I can't have it, nobody can. Because when you're ultimately confident in yourself, it doesn't matter when history is shown. If Bonnicks is the real deal, he'll be just fine regardless when history is shown that when backups take over and do well, that it's the person's forgotten a La Carson Wentz, Alex Smith, what about Brock?
Speaker 4: Party came back? Mac Jones played really well, that's right, Brock pretty.
Speaker 1: Tongue over and everyone's like, yeah, Jimmy g later, thank you, Sam. And you know what, Roger Staubach took over Terry Bradshaw, Jim Plunkett. These are guys that took over midseason or late in the season and ended up winning a Super Bowl and never looked back. It's the Wally Pip that's the story. It's the Tom Brady later drew Bledsoe, I don't care that you signed the deal. Deep down inside, bo Nicks might be a great guy and say I'm rooting for my team, But there's a part of him, whether it's subconscious or it doesn't in the back of his brain, doesn't help. But what did the macho man say? Tream rises to the top. He also said, oh no, the cream rises to the top. So if Boone Nicks really is the real deal holy Field, then it doesn't matter. He'll be prosperous and he'll still do well in his career somewhere else. You know what else he said doesn't define him as a player. Smith, Oh you marry me? He did say. He also said, snap into it, So anyway we're gonna get into it. The phone calls eight seven, seven ninety nine on Fox. I want to hear from you. Where the the backup, the understudy had a moment or maybe is something you did that was stuff we see in movies we see it in the sports, but it happens in real life where you had to step out, look around the studio. Who would you say is the most honorable man in here? Not you look? Don't you take a look at Dan Bayer, Damn by Man. Damn Byer jokingly says, let's say like Monsey or Isaac fills in from he goes, Oh, it seems like you guys have phone without me. No, Damn Byers secretly saying, I'm the number one dog around here. Don't don't you forget it, Dan, don't let him put words in your mouth.
Speaker 6: Listen, no, listen, know you guys, if this has been my thing for years, We've had this conversation before, I've told you Cavino, remember you know what I'm talking about. When we would fill in for you guys, Yes, yes, I know where you're going and someone would say, gosh, came into Cavino and rich our back. Steve is trying so hard to not smile. He likes the tweets. It's been it's it's it's always been my thing. I think everybody wants to be missed. I said it with link Kiffen and LS. But you want your an old miss team to fail. Maybe that's extreme, but listen, you're right. When someone's like, man can't wait for caveto to come back, you'll like the tweet. I agree with that sentiment.
Speaker 1: Failing is another thing you think if dan byern Montsi you're feeling in for our show? Right? Do you miss Rachel just liking tweets without looking at what you think? I want them to fall in their face and suck? Absolutely not, because dan Byer is great. Do I want them to be better than us? No? I want them to fail. So the bicks doesn't want sit him to be better, saying he wants them to lose. You're saying you want him to lose. Anyway, your next success can begin sooner than you think. Apply now and say with no application fee through February eleventh at University of Maryland Global Campus this new year, put your goals within reach at an accredited state university. Learn more at UMGC dot edu. That's UMGC dot edu. And if you've ever wiped with a regular toilet paper, you'd be like, what am I doing here? That's why you need dude wipe. Switch to the life changing extra large fleshable dude wipes uh, because Wetter just cleans better available at Amazon all major retailers. Dude wipes better clean, in fact, the best clean pants down. Let's go to your phone calls, rapid fire. What are you thinking? Backups times you stepped up and deep down inside do you think? But what what do you think? Bow Nicks wants a victory for his team? Okay, that's up for debate. Let's go to Idaho and let's hand a monster. What's up? Man?
Speaker 7: Hey, boys, thanks for taking a call, first time, long time.
Speaker 1: Thanks, Buddy.
Speaker 7: I gotta tell you Peyton's a hell of a coach.
Speaker 1: Yep.
Speaker 7: Okay, and Boone Nicks is the most left on quarterback.
Speaker 8: In the NFL instead of them.
Speaker 7: With the way Peyton coaches, he's gonna step up.
Speaker 8: He's gonna do it possible.
Speaker 7: I mean, they're the dogs, but it's gonna happen home.
Speaker 1: Dogs have done historically well in conference championships. So I don't know if that means anything to you, but there it is. Louisiana and Mike. What's up? Mike?
Speaker 7: Hey, I've got a statement for you. See if jogs your memory, Bernie co Sar Super Bowl Champion? Is that ring a bell?
Speaker 1: That doesn't really ring a bell.
Speaker 7: No, okay, well here we go. Aikman takes a need of the head, goes out in the second second Super Bowl run against the Niners. Co Star comes in, finishes the game and without co Sar there's no back to back against the Bills. And is Apeman a super Bowl champ? And that particular Super Bowl was a one week rest, So Aikman came back pre concussion protocol, he would not have been cleared, obviously, he came back on one week arrest. Was not himself. EMMITTT. Smith, you know, ran him to the Super Bowl. But yeah, you know that's an example. No co Star was at the end of his career, but.
Speaker 1: At that stage he was a he was a fine looking back up. Mike. Let me ask you, do you think and again I'm not trying to be dramatic here, but do you think deep down inside bow Knicks is like, well, a little cautious, like I don't know if I wanted to do two well, or do you think he's just such a team guy.
Speaker 7: I think that's two. He wants to win.
Speaker 2: I agree.
Speaker 1: I agree with everything he said right there, and I think it's a reminder that it's a team sport. That's that's really what it is. Yeah, but in football, the quarterback is such a face. There's no other sport like in basketball, it could be your best player, center, point guard for it. It doesn't matter. In baseball, the face of your team could be a pitcher, first baseman, DH. In football, ninety nine percent of the time, the face of your franchise is your quarterback. But these opportunities leave room for other people to step up. I see it all the time. Let's go to Indiana and Rob what's up? Rob? Hey? Rob Hand?
Speaker 7: What's up?
Speaker 5: Guy?
Speaker 7: So that's kind of a week take. So next one thing, his faith is big in him and he is a selfless person.
Speaker 8: Two.
Speaker 7: Rich is one of these guys that breaks up with the girl and then roots for her to get fat and ugli when he's.
Speaker 1: Done with her. Oh, well, I do that too. I'm not gonna lie for that. I'm just kidding. Well, you know what, he makes a good points, very strong in his faith. He's a very faithful Christian. He doesn't well, he's not supposed to think that way. It's a terrible way to think. I want my team to fail if I'm not going to be there I'm saying, it's business as well. And by the way, I do, I root for my exes to do the same, to do well, wears off. She's just not as good as me. All right, let's say hi to Josh in Washington State.
Speaker 8: Hey, how's it gone?
Speaker 1: Hold on, do you think Doug gott leaves rooting for Stu Gotts. I believe he was asked about it. I think there's an article about it somewhere. I'm just saying, like, nope, come on, give me a break. What's up, Josh. What's up, Josh, Josh, Josh. Let's go to Jerome and Charleston. What's up Drome.
Speaker 8: I just want to tell you bull Knicks. You're saying what you said about bo Nicks that is some of the most preposterous BF I've probably heard, and I heard a lot of bs out of people's mouth. It's this white guy told me the one reason I got accepted into the military I spent like almost nine years in the Air Force was because I was black. I said, I don't know, can't tell you what my name wants.
Speaker 1: Wait, you're telling me, you're telling me my Bownick statement is more preposterous than that idiot that said that to you.
Speaker 8: No, high up there.
Speaker 1: Okay, it's pretty hot, right, so second only to a racist idiot you bumped into. Is my dumb statement about Bonet? No, no, because I'll take true to what you're saying, Rich, but you're taking it one step too far. Nobody wants you to have a better time, or better experience, or a greater victory without you, right, Yeah, but you don't want everyone else to fail at your expense either. So yeah, you want to be missed. Everybody wants to be missed. But I don't think he wants his team to lose.
Speaker 2: That's what it is. Yeah, you hit it on the nail. There was a time cove where I had CoA in the what is it the NIEU at the hospital, and so I missed a couple of day, a few days, and I remember thinking, I don't want the show to go off the rails. I did everything I could on my phone, my laptop, and I listened to everybody was having fun, made sure everything was going smooth. I want the show to fail, but you want to come back and have people say, man, it wasn't the same without you. Thank god Danny's back. So Rich, it is like ninety eight percent. I want it to go good. Probably two percent of those ill feelings.
Speaker 1: And I'm not backtracking. I'm just saying I'm talking about that two percent. Maybe that two percent is tucked away there somewhere, But everyone wants to feel wanted in a family, in a marriage, and a job. Everywhere you are, you want to feel wanted. And I know bo Nix is a leader and a good man of faith, so I know you guys could come down on me. I'm just saying there is a little part of them, little part of it. It's like, all right, let's slow down now, because if Jared Sidham plays well, goes to the Super Bowl, wins the Super Bowl, the city of Denver will just put Jared Sidham on this pedestal. And bo Nicks just is sort of like, hey.
Speaker 2: Guys, I think that's where the two percent could increase.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they're all great athletes. Stidham's gonna step up.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 1: It makes me think of too rich, how it was so blatantly obvious when Montana and Steve Young were playing together, like neither one of them wanted each other to do that much better than the other person. He openly said I'm better than the other guy. Funny but different. These guys have to feel that way and think that way. It's just part of the game. Now, competitor, Now, I'll tell you this. I think that I'm also thinking this because remember, earlier in the year, even really intelligent, reputable guys like Colin Cowherb and other folks are saying at times, we're not quite sure bo Nix is the answer, right. Remember there's been narratives where it's like they're good, but I don't know. If bo Nix is the guy out when Fred Warner's hurt and he's rooting for the forty nine ers, I believe it because it's undeniable. He's the best. Bow Nicks is still trying to prove himself. If bo Nicks was a that's what I meant rises to the top of boon Nicks is that guy anyway, He's gonna be that guy. But if bo Nicks was Patrick Mahomes and Mahomes got hurt and he was rooting for the Chiefs, I would believe more that Mahomes is rooting for the backup quarterbacks. Whoever it is is not Mahomes, bo Nicks is replaceable. That's all.
Speaker 4: But by Jared's didn't Bonnicks got you the number one? I mean the defense really got in the number one seed like that. Offense was hard to watch at times, but he was good in the playoffs up until his injury.
Speaker 1: Well we shall see. Let's go to dB for an update. Hey, dB, glad, I riled you guys up a little bit. What's up?
Speaker 6: dB, Guy's a story that is happening right now. In golf, Scottie Scheffler leads the American Express at seventeen under par, but he shares the lead with eighteen year old Blades Brown, turn professional last year during his senior year of high school when he was seventeen years old. He has a birdie putt on the eighteenth hole to shoot fifty nine. It would be the fifteenth sub sixty round and PGA Tour history. Damn doing it in the in Palm Desert at the Nicholas Tournament course. They play a bunch of different courses for this tournament, so a bit of history. So while Scotty Shuffer's name grabs a lot of the headlines, the youngster eighteen year old I looked it up. He was born in May of two thousand and seven. Wow, on May twenty, I'm like, I probably remember what I did that day. Yeah, you know, it's like.
Speaker 1: Did you watch an Apple TV's stick. No, it's like that young golfer santy is.
Speaker 6: You know, I've not any talking about but I you know, you've talked about this show a lot. The Uh it's one of the the shows that just has not made it yet to the top of the queue.
Speaker 1: dB. I know you're big golfer. Are you going to do the TikTok trend where you see guys are golfing and there's a sound clip of Tiger woodsand. Oh nice shot. Many people are doing like, Yeah, I went, I went golfing with Tiger. Yes, yes, I've seen.
Speaker 6: The Buffalo Bills today interviewed Philip Rivers for their head coaching vacancy. Yes, that Philip Rivers. They also spoke with Mike McDaniel, the former Dolphins head coach and current Chargers offensive coordinator after he took the job earlier. This week AFC Championship Game, it will be the Patriots and Broncos.
Speaker 1: No JK.
Speaker 6: Dobbins for Denver he was activated or they opened up the twenty one day practice window I should say, but not activated in time for AFC Championship game on Sunday, so they will not have JK. Dobbins. The Broncos won't. Patriots want of Harold Landry for the game. Seahawks have Sam Darnold off the injury report. He's ready to start despite that oblique issue. The twenty twenty six college football playoff bracket will continue to have twelve teams in the bracket next season. Indiana's Fernando Mendozas declared for the twenty twenty six NFL Draft. Cornerback DiAngelo Ponds also turning bro Finally, the NCAA will allow division to want schools to wear commercial advertisement logos and patches on uniforms starting on August first. A maximum of four logos or patches will be allowed to be placed on uniforms.
Speaker 2: Guys, back to you.
Speaker 1: Thank you man, and you know what. Speaking of Philip Rivers, we've got to talk about him too. We gotta talk about this and play brainwave. We got prizes to give away, weekend hobnobbing and more. Let's do it more. Next right here, Covino, Rich, All right, welcome back to the show. Covino and Rich we're gonna go over our picks this weekend Conference Championship weekend, and we're gonna get you involved. We're giving away prizes eight seven seven ninety nine on Fox. That's the number, and of course at Coveno and Rich on social media at Steve Covino at Rich Davis, Hey, hit us with a follow, Let's be friends. Can I ask people for like a random personal favor besides following us on YouTube? What is it? I meet my my girl softball team today? Today's practice one with my daughter is eight U team. We're coming up with a team name today and we're the Red team. So if you get what would be a cool name for a red team for girls eight and younger? Think of that? Hey, DM me at rich Davis because today we're picking a team name. And I was like, you know, I should probably come with a couple of cool ideas. I am the coach. I was thinking the Heartbreakers. One of the kids is one of my daughter's friends, Like what about the hot Cheetos? Like that's cool. They could be the red hot Cheetos and they could get like socks or something. The ginger snaps yeah, like Joe, Hey, Shirley Temples, the Shirley Temples. Honestly, you got a lot of little Mexican kids on your team. How about the red Hot Cholo Peppers. Oh, the red Hot Cholo how about that? You gotta think too, that's gonna be a like a Peppers. We're live in l A. It's Cavino and Rich Life from the Fox Sports Radio Studio and it's time for our tie I Rank Play the Day. Are you ready for it? Kids? Let's go. Kid Sixer's got it done in overtime against the Rockets.
Speaker 3: Rockets, and the Rockets are gonna play on no time out for now. Six Ers by four one two. Here comes on men tops and tops and driving it into the lane. Spinch, Sixers steal the ball and now it's Sluic again. A new break gets it. He goes to Joel ten seconds and be late pass backsie backs.
Speaker 1: He's gonna dunk it. The Sixers are gonna be the Houston Rocket. That Sixers Radio Network. And that was our ti Iraq Play of the Day and Tyrack. As you know, they've been helping customers find the right tires for how, what and where they drive for years. Now ship fast and free back by free roads haatserd protection, convenient insulation options like mobile tire installation, tirack dot com, the way tire buying should be. And I think you know who says the best, Jimmy fall River on our YouTube chat. He goes rich The reality is the perfect scenario for bo Nicks if Denver keeps winning, but totally on the back of the defense, where it's like, well, Denver's defense is just you know, they stop everything in special ahead, like if Denver wins, because let's say they beat the Patriots thirteen to six and in the Super Bowl it's like a low scoring game and it's really just the defense. Bo Nicks secures his job well. At the same time, he could be happy for his teammates and his team. We'll see what happens this weekend. I have a prediction on and you'll hear about it. All right, Well, we're gonna do our Super Bowl predictions. Plus we're gonna do brain Wave, which is slowly becoming, i think one of the more popular games around here at Fox Sports Radio. That's where you have to decide, are you on the same brainwave as all the defices on the show? Can you can you think the way we find Oh it's more than one. Defense is a fight Ploralf'm sorry, dude, fight. Oh can I give you one more backup? That really stepped up in the clutch. Let's take it back from Danny Zuko on thunder Road when Kanicki went down, Danny Zuko stepped up. Oh no, I was gonna say, uh, I was gonna say Jefferson when he took over for Steve on Married with Children. Oh, that's a great one, because I was like, oh, man, I know he was great. Danny g loved the new aunt viv Is that Can you say that?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 1: Way, No, you know that's a really great example because everybody loved Steve and then Jefferson came in. You're like, oh, wait, but I like Jefferson too. That's cool. You know what, because Coucher didn't do as good of a job when Gean was Charlie Sheen. You know what, I know that Michael J. Fox sort of loved when no one liked teen Wolf Jason Bateman. Right, yeah, but you know what, I'll give you a real one. Nineteen ninety two, we were all kids. Frank Reich in that amazing Buffalo Bills playoff game. It was only a wildcard game, but one of the most remarkable games ever. He was a backup obviously for Jim Kelly, and that was just a memorable game, one of the biggest comebacks ever. So there you go, all right, more Covino and Ratch will do our picks next right here, Fox Sports Radio