Speaker 1: Had to take better food pictures for Instagram. Amrich jamiro This is Rich on Tech Daily. All right, So how many times has this happened to you? You get an amazing dish put in front of your face, it looks like some delicious food. You want to take a picture of it to share it with your friends on Instagram. You snap that photo, You look at it and ugh, nobody wants to eat that. It doesn't look very appealing. Yes, it's happened to me a bunch of times. I'm sure it's happened to you. If you don't know what you're doing when it comes to taking these food pictures, they can look pretty bad. So recently I attended a culinary storytelling workshop to try to fix this. We were on board the Ruby Princess. We went down to San Pedro on a Saturday morning. This was an event hosted by tech Munch. They host a bunch of traveling food events, influencer events, all kinds of stuff when it comes to food. Very cool company. We were on board the Ruby Princess. Like I said, Curtis Stone, the celebrity chef, has a restaurant there called Share. He also has that same restaurant in two other ships. It was really cool because I've never been on a cruise, so it was fun to just kind of be on the ship, but we didn't actually leave the harbor or the port, whatever you call it. There were lots of food bloggers in attendance. I was definitely out of my league. I just brought a cell phone camera and a GoPro, but I did learn some stuff, so it was really fun. We had a six course meal, started with charcuterie, continued with some lemon poached prawns cavatelli, with some amazing like foamy sauce that was really good trout that everyone thought was salmon, and then some lamb, which I did not really partake in because I've never really tried it, so I was kind of like, ash I try it, I didn't maybe a bite, and then finally a citron tart which was really good as well. We took pictures of everything. I mean, I've been in restaurants where you see people taking pictures of their food. This is like next level stuff because everyone in there was a food blogger. They are taking crazy amounts of pictures in all kinds of weird ways. Leading the event was a food photographer and blogger named Ashley Rodriguez. She blogs on the website Not Without Salt, and she was leading the way giving us real tips and kind of demos as we ate our food. So her first tip, you can hear it from herself, use a menu to light things up.
Speaker 2: If I happen to see that this beautiful menu is this perfect, pure white that it's a good way of bouncing the light back into the plate, so you're softening those shadows.
Speaker 1: Her next tip, if you want to take the absolute best food pictures, and that's sort of your primary reason for visiting a restaurant, try eating lunch there instead of dinner.
Speaker 2: Here's why, when I go out to eat for lunch, the lightning is going to be so much better. If I go out to dinner. Sometimes I will just simply not even try and put away the camera my phone and just simply enjoy the meal.
Speaker 1: This is a good one, and it kind of makes sense. People love stories, so tell a story with your photos.
Speaker 2: Take a picture of the beautiful plate as it hits the table, but also don't turn off that part of your brain that's thinging ooh, this would make a good photo because it is often those images that you know, the napkin is a little tussled, the plate is a little skewed. To me, photography is all about storytelling. That's what's interesting.
Speaker 1: And finally, Ashley's last tip, don't forget to include yourself in the pictures you scroll through an Instagram feed, it might as well be anonymous because you don't see who the person is behind the lens.
Speaker 2: If you're dining with a friend, you can ask them to take a picture for you. I think any sense of life in the photo, So if you know, even if you have your hand kind of reaching in, or have your friend's hands reaching in to grab the plate, that adds that much more interest as well.
Speaker 1: Now, in case you're wondering what chefs like Curtis Stone think of the trend of everyone taking pictures of their food, well, he can't speak for all chefs, but I think they kind of like it.
Speaker 3: So the truth behind Instagram and all of the different social media outlets. If your food looks good and it tastes good, people talk positively about it, and it just amplifies that good old fashioned wood of mouth, so we actually love it.
Speaker 1: There you have, it had to take better pictures of your food for Instagram. I had a blast at the event. I am not a food photographer by any means, but it is kind of fun to take pictures of your food. Personally, I do it a lot just to kind of remember what I ate. I will share it on Instagram. I don't expect a lot of people to really care, but if there's a cool meal somewhere you went and someone wants to either make that meal, or if it's a recipe, or go to that place and eat the same thing, it's a great way of sharing. If you want to see the pictures that I took, you can go to my Instagram. It is rich on Tech. That's my profile. You can find a link to it at richontech dot tv. Thanks so much for listening to the podcast. I love that so many of you guys are reviewing it on the Apples podcast app people like Jeff Hurtz, who said rich on Tech gives the best tech information around on the latest products. I will only buy products that rich has given me info on love the podcast. Keep up the great work. Thanks so much for the kind words.
Speaker 3: Jeff.
Speaker 1: If you leave a review, I might just read it right here. Stumirel. I'll talk to you real soon, MHM.