Speaker 1: Hello the Internet, and welcome to this episode of the Matrix Retrended. That one is courtesy of j M you sick one. Oh oh, I hope you're feeling all right, JMU sick one. I am Jack and I'm throw to be joined by special guest co host Andrew Dull.
Speaker 2: I didn't anything fun for this, That's okay. I mean, I mean uncharted territory.
Speaker 1: I don't know where trends. Yeah, yeah, first of all, thank you for sticking around for trends, and yeah, the trends. We we don't do fun stuff on trends. It's very business like buy the books.
Speaker 2: Fuck yeah, fuck yeah, That's what I'm here for.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't no songs. YEA took me a lot just to get up to pronounce your name, Andrew. You know usually that was like honestly fucking miles and I'm Jack. What else? What else? But yeah, thank you for the Matrix related aka sick oh sick one. Andrew, have you ever like wondered, like what if you're in the Matrix? Oh?
Speaker 2: Fuck bro, bro fuck brother. I could just tell I'm not in the matrix because I'm always like my relationship to technology doesn't ever get me to that kind of I'm just like I would know I was in the matrix because everything would be like fucking broken.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, your understanding of technology is such that.
Speaker 2: I'm just not rebooting all the time. I would know I was in the matrix if I was rebooting all the time, and I'm not. Yeah, I don't think.
Speaker 1: Well, Andrew. The Arizona Supreme Court has made the same mistake as Back to the Future three, and they took it too far back and went back to the eighteen hundreds. Nobody was asking for it, but they they've rolled the calendar back to eighteen six six four on their state abortion law, basically enforcing a ban from eighteen sixty four which makes abortion punishable by two to five years in prison except when the mother's life is at risk and could potentially shudder all clinics in the state. It reverses a lower court decision which was appealed by a right wing law firm. Everybody, I mean, not bad enough to be a law firm, a right wing law firm, jesus.
Speaker 2: A little redundant, but okay exactly.
Speaker 1: But this law basically stood until Roe v. Wade rendered it moot. And now with Roe overturned. The Arizona Supreme Court is saying that the state should therefore return to a time when the Civil War was still being fought. Yeah, and Arizona wasn't even a goddamn state.
Speaker 2: Yet, it is. It is nice that you know, it doesn't refer to like if a saw bones shell saw take yeah, Like yeah, I mean, look, yeah, it's it's all red dead redemption shit. I suppose, like, yeah, this is this is what we signed up for. It is a little wild that, having been through several elections now that right wing law firms are still pushing this stuff like they're not modulating any of their messaging or anything like that. It's not very weird.
Speaker 1: And their God, Emperor Trump, like this really fucks him a little bit, Like he was he had recently, you know, tried to sort of thread the needle by being like, I'm going to leave it up to the states, and you can't say shit because and then the day I'm pretty sure was like the day after or like within days of him announcing his strategy of it's up to the states, it's not my call, folks, he like electorally gets completely fucked by enacting a wildly popular policy that is going to put you know, bodily automy on the ballot in a state that is electorally very important to him in the upcoming election.
Speaker 2: Yeah, is is Arizona actually at all a swing state? I remember in one that's during one election they were trying to bust us out to Arizona and I was like, I.
Speaker 1: Don't Yeah, No, didn't Biden win Arizona last Okay, okay, Yeah, Biden won Arizona in the last election. So that's why, like, yeah, and nobody was expecting that, and that became why Arizona was like a big election denial hub because it didn't match their expectations at all. And that's why Carrie Lake is I mean, Carrie Lake, who at one point was like all about this shit now in a highly contested election, is like, I I do not agree with this. This is bad because it is inconvenient for me. But yeah, it's it is.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, it is bizarre to watch them. I guess it just takes a while. It's the same with like the Brexit people like having caught the car yes that they never wanted to catch. It is a little like it is surprising they didn't have a plan for this, I guess right, Like, like, for instance, like the Democrats are still playing the playbook of like, oh, if you vote for us, we we're gonna we're gonna really start trying to fight hard to you know, to enshrine and tried like women's health into into the Constitution, where as a federal law like oh, we really want to work on it. We do need another fifty dollars from you, but we're gone to work on it. Yeah, these guys are just doing the thing that they should have held up as their boogeyman forever.
Speaker 1: It's interesting because, yeah, for a while, the Republicans had the advantage that they had the courage of their convictions, like they actually wanted the thing that their base wanted, whereas Democrats like had to pretend like they wanted the thing that their base wanted, but like really they were beholden to corporations, right, and like couldn't actually do the thing their base wanted. But now the Republicans like have done the thing that a portion of their base wanted, and it's just wildly fucking unpopular, and so they're now at a disadvantage too. So they're like kind of, yeah, they've they were. They had in a sweet position there for a little while where they could, you know, just argue for the thing their base wanted as long as they like never actually got it, and now they actually got it, and turns out their base not big enough. Yeah, so well, I mean we'll see, obviously crossed, they still might win the next fucking presidential election. Yeah, it's yeah, but it's it's that too, you know, people with unique logical disadvantages and in addition to all the other dis advantages they have. But none of this shit matters, Andrew, because we just saw the new Joker trailer, and that's what's important. It's we've all been waiting. It has a French name, Folly. I don't think I got that exactly right, I mean you did. I took Espel in high school, so fuck off? Why yeah, thank you. I took Latin and now you can speak all the Romance languages perfectly.
Speaker 2: That was sort of, I guess, my stated logic. But that's so deeply stupid obviously to take a language I literally no one speaks.
Speaker 1: If I had to like rate the weirdness of teachers across like, across all that, because I went to a lot of schools growing up. I do feel like Latin were always the weirdest and like the ones that you most suspected you would have an apt pupil situation if you looked in their basement, you know what I mean. Like there's is people who are like really devoted to Latin. It was like there's something idiological behind this that I don't quite trust.
Speaker 2: I mean it's it came into relief once Twitter came out and all those like people with like like everyone who's like a a Nazi has like a like a marble stack, Like oh, yeah, I didn't.
Speaker 1: Yeah that's true. I never Yeah. I guess it's like the instincts as a twelve year old were right.
Speaker 2: Oh, this is Western civilization. Get the fuck out of here. The Joker trailer is Western civilization.
Speaker 1: That's right. So Andrew, you have not you do not see first joker.
Speaker 2: I did not see your first Joker, my favorite. I knew enough about the fan base that I was like, this is it. It's to me it falls under the category of things like the Grateful Dad and Monty Python, which is like it's honestly probably fine, but interacting with the fans of it. Rick and Morty also falls in that category. It's white, white people's stuff where I'm like, I do think this thing is probably fine and I would probably enjoy it, but I don't want to participate and be with it is people.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I thought it was fine. I thought it was like a solid two and a half three star h you know, superhero ish movie. So this new one allegedly a musical, and they have learned the lesson that we identified here on The Daily se Gus that uh, just make your musical like yeah, but don't tell anybody it's a musical. Keep it like a fucking secret. Just do not show. And so this trailer like there is some singing in it, but you don't see anybody breaking into song, So it could just be yeah, you know.
Speaker 2: I do you think there's original song or there's gonna be like some like My guess is it's going to be a musical in the sense that they are going to use existing pop songs in sort of rever retype jukebox musical. Yeah, is that what that's called? Yeah, that makes sense.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's I'm hoping if it is a jukebox musical, it is a they stick with what they did in the first one and just use exclusively Jack Jams. Yeah, like the chair or the stare dancing scene in the first one. I'm pretty sure it was like that Gary Glitter song from every like professional Sports time Out.
Speaker 2: John Jams is so such a weird concept too. I think I'm guessing I was thinking about the newest to my knowledge, the current newest jock jam, but the newest thing that became a widely accepted jock jam, because I felt like it came up through my like entire like I saw the beginning of it and now where it is, which is like, do you think the White Stripes had any sense when they wrote seven Nation Army or Jack White when I wrote, like that is what it was going to fucking become.
Speaker 1: I don't know, No, I don't. I think he's too weird to even know, like to even be aware of the concept of professional sports, you know, Like I feel like.
Speaker 2: He's I think he's one of those weird guys that like knows every baseball stat.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah, maybe yeah. He's like really into reupholstering couches and yeah, baseball stats from like the eighteen eighties.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he like goes to baseball games and still he still has like he needs to keep the skin pale. But you know, so he's in like a full still suit and but he's otherwise loves being there. He's scorekeeping with like a pencil.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but yeah, that is that is a classic. I could. I can see it fitting directly into Joker too. I I enjoyed the trailer just you know, I thought the trailer for the First Joker was pretty good too, So I think.
Speaker 2: That was I think I saw on Twitter was like people are like, you know that the First Joker also had an amazing trailer, so it's preserved judgment.
Speaker 1: Yes, but I there has yet to be a film in which I did not at least enjoy Lady Gaga. Yeah, like the that really bad one where she had an Italian accent.
Speaker 2: I was still that was great.
Speaker 1: That one is so fun, Like that's the most fun I've had. It was like that and Saltburn are like in the same family of like objectively pretty bad movies, but like highly watchable and like you're just like kind of charmed by the fact that they actually like went through with this shit.
Speaker 2: Listen. House of Gucci is awesome too, because it does sort of make like you puts in front of you. The Ridley Scott Italians yelling at each other. Trilogy of Gladiator Hasucucci and one other thing. I guess Gladiator too.
Speaker 1: Gladiator too come to us? Oh man, is that still happening. I'm very excited.
Speaker 2: Romans Romans screaming.
Speaker 1: Yeah, although I don't think they had the courage to make the original script of Gladiator two where Maximus goes to Hell and then comes back and it's like this like psychedelic weird, like Christian metaphor thing.
Speaker 2: Anyways, New Joker apparently all the money in the world also has Italians screaming at each other. So yeah, we'll get to a whole Ridley Scott Loud Italians film festival. Let's get that going.
Speaker 1: If you can get a script in front of Ridley Scott's production company, just make sure it's chock full of Mama Mia. It's like, sure, everybody saw the Mario Brothers movie. That's the Mario Brothers they wanted you to see. But what about the dysfunction? The path was the drives them to go to the strange world?
Speaker 2: Yeah, just Mario sniffing a fireflower.
Speaker 1: Like, but I don't know any thoughts on the on the Joker trailer, will you see this?
Speaker 2: I'm gonna I'm gonna do a thing that I think people don't do enough, which is just like, fuck it, I'll just see the sequel without seeing the original.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's okay. Some of my best some of my best like media consumption was seeing things out of like I saw Wire season four before I saw any of the other Wire seasons, and that ended up being like one of my favorite shows.
Speaker 2: I genuinely think watching Game of Thrones starting from like season three would have helped me, because all of season one I could not tell any of the brown haired man apart for like truly, truly, for so long, I was like, who the fuck?
Speaker 1: It was impossible. It was almost like they were doing it as like one of the pieces of commentary they wanted to make was like, don't all brown haired men look alike? Is it just us? That's like part of their artistic vision, nameless faceless brown haired men.
Speaker 2: I couldn't tell.
Speaker 1: Yeah, all right, let's take a quick break and we'll be right back and let's keep it in pop culture. Fuck yeah. Willie Hawonka experience from Scotland is it was a lot of fun there for a while. You know, we got that scary masked person behind the mirror that came out and looked truly cursed, like one of the most cursed pieces of performance art that like I've seen. But it was that part of like what was supposed to be a children's uh like installation, you know, the oplumpa bartender woman just uh all sorts of just glimpses of hell that they accidentally put together. The you know, bedsheets on the wall, weird just weird vibes, like looked like somebody had been squatting there. Anyways, they're trying to get it back. They're trying to get that magic back by bringing it to La. The you know, having having lived in La with children for the past seven years, LA has a lot of these shitty like installations that go into old uh yes, out of business uh raw and like Kroger's, you know, like.
Speaker 2: The ALA's art at least public art scene is some of the worst ship that has ever Yeah, it's not great, you know, truly, it's like horrendous. That fucking museum of ice cream, Like get the the truly the worst, the worst, the worst, the worst. Oh, I hate it all so much.
Speaker 1: I think that's actually everywhere, Like it seems like every big city is has been taken over by these like tourist trap things, and yeah, this is it's it feels like they're almost like, what if we just like pretended like that was the point the whole time. They're like, this fucking sucks.
Speaker 2: I mean, and yeah, if it's if it's remotely possible, and I know unfortunately that it's not because I assume people will go to this, but like, if there was a way to not reward these people, yeah, like please don't go, Please, please don't don't go. Do not give them the fucking money.
Speaker 1: It's tough because wait, I do live in LA and there's a lot of hours in the day that I got to kill with these goddamn kids. Now, I'm just joking. I would never take my kids here, but I do feel like it's almost part of my responsibility as one of the hosts of this show to spend iheart's money on a ticket to go to this.
Speaker 2: I see Listen, I'm just saying, I see people are gonna go. I wish there was a way. Here's what I would ask of you, just in the interest of not lining these people's pockets, and I'm sure they will say no because they're clearly just grifters looking to scrape the bottom of the money barrel. But see if you can get a press entry.
Speaker 1: Like, yeah, that's a good idea.
Speaker 2: Don't give these fucking people money. Like they're awful, they're ai bullshit, was fucking awful, and them like writing notoriety to like all press is good press, like it really is just going to encourage more this shit. Oh, I hate them so much.
Speaker 1: So the new event will be held on April twenty eighth, so we're start the countdown eighteen days out. Promises to kick start the sweetness with two complimentary jelly beans. So that's the detail where it's like, oh, you guys are like trying to be in on the bit. And then guests can expect a DJ set, live comedy performances, an immersive tiny cinema installation screening silent films. I don't know. It's the frustrating thing is I just showed my kids the original will we Want like the Gene Wilder Willy Wonka. I don't know if it's the original, but and they had a blast. They loved it, and it really does is begging for like it would be the perfect Like it's about somebody doing an installation basically, you know, like he's like, come into my warehouse and and like see all these fun things. Like if you could create, like if James Cameron was building one of these like installation things like that, this would be the one for him to start with.
Speaker 2: Or fucking universal like the way the way they did like fucking Super Mario Land. Just do that. Just make it what you saw on the screen exactly and charge people a fuckload of money and would be great, including the weird people would have so much fun. Chicken getting his head chopped off when you're on the boat part.
Speaker 1: Yes, that's so wild. Yeah, there should be a part of Willy Wonka Land that feels like you were having the worst trip of your life. Yeah, that's just mandatory. I mean, yeah, that's part of the experience.
Speaker 2: Yeah, listen, it does really capture the ethos of being a factory owner. I was going to say in that time period, but let's be real, in every time pod, which is about scraping money and murdering children.
Speaker 1: Murdering children making a profit while doing so, it is I've always said it's very influential because it was the first slasher film that I saw. You know, It's like there's a group of people making their way through an environment and like getting picked off one by one.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I or like a like a haunted house has little haunted house elements, like these people are heroes, are only there out of economic necessity, right, Like yeah, and in the end they become the demon themselves.
Speaker 1: Yeah. And then I went on to become a huge slasher movie fan. So, you know, as a child, way too young, I was like, this fucking rules. More more of this man.
Speaker 2: You talked about the trailer for Abigail yet on this show.
Speaker 1: No, we haven't. I just saw a glimpses of it.
Speaker 2: But it's great.
Speaker 1: Basically, Killer Child is kind of the killer.
Speaker 2: Yeah, of a vampire Ballerina child. Yes, it looks great.
Speaker 1: Please, it's right into my dands. Andrew T. What a pleasure having you. Thanks for having me around. Appreciate it. Where can people find you? Follow you all that good.
Speaker 2: Stuff, andrew T? Wherever yoss racist that's my podcast. That's it. Just yeah, do that? Do that.
Speaker 1: We are back tomorrow with a whole lass episode of the show. Until then, be kind to each other, be kind to yourselves, get the vaccine, get the flu shot, don't do nothing about white supremacy, and we will talk to you all tomorrow. Bye.