Speaker 1: The following is a production of Dallas Cowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club.
Speaker 2: Cowboys Let's go. Are you ready for a break?
Speaker 3: Yes?
Speaker 4: Are you ready for a break?
Speaker 5: Absolutely?
Speaker 2: Ready for a break?
Speaker 5: Yeah, and so much for that.
Speaker 1: It's time for The Break on Dallas Cowboys dot Com with Ambar Garcia, Brian brought us, Patrick Walker and Derek Eagleton.
Speaker 5: It is Monday, November fourth, two, twenty twenty three, Season nineteen, episode number eighty one. Welcome to the latest edition of The Break. And as you can tell, this is gonna be a really, really weird show. My voice is gone, so we're gonna try to battle through this when Patrick is not with us today. But I got shared for the show. I'm not doing that. We're not canceling the show, especially coming off the weekend I just had. We're not canceling the show. I got too much to say, and I don't know if you'll understand any of it.
Speaker 2: But I got the problem.
Speaker 5: You said, you said too much already, right right, No, I'm gonna battle through this thing. Yeah, and hopefully we can. Hopefully the folks.
Speaker 6: Out there understand the sound the voice of a great time victory sounded amazing night, an amazing day.
Speaker 5: Weekend, weekend, like you go back to Thursday and this has been. This has been an epic all time sports weekend between the Cowboys win in the way that they want it. We talked about that on Friday. On Saturday, friends and family started rolling in. We had I mean, sorry, Friday started rolling in. Saturday. We've got the big game. We win in grand fashion. Sunday we wake up and realize that we've now gotten into the playoff, and then the cap it Yesterday afternoon, the Eagles get destroyed by the forty nine ers. I mean, everything that I wanted to happen this weekend, and by the way, I put two fantasy wins. So it's like everything I wanted to happen this weekend from a sports standpoint happened. And I earned this voice right now. I earned that this weekend.
Speaker 2: It's amazing what alcohol will do to your voice.
Speaker 5: Alcohol scream and talking loud, barking, a little bit of barking. That's part of his that's what we do, that's inside of him. That's what we do is.
Speaker 2: Yeah they bar yeah, part of the.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that's a little bit of that. That's a little bit of that. We had a good time. We had a good time, all right. Where I want to start though today is Philadelphia versus uh, San Francisco. I guess give me your general thoughts on the game. I assume everybody watched it. What were general thoughts on the game?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 7: The thing with you got to San Francisco when they are healthy, they're a hard team to deal with. And we've seen the lull that they had, if you want to call it that, And they weren't a bad little stretch there for about three weeks. Their quarterback really wasn't playing well because they were down, you know, their left tackle, there were down a running back. There was various things that they were dealing with. You know, played against some teams. I think at the time Cleveland's defense was pretty good, you know what they were dealing with that. So that's really the nature of the National Football League right now, if you could find a way to have your best players being healthy but have them playing at.
Speaker 2: Such a high level. And we all understand that, I mean.
Speaker 7: Philadelphia, we've experienced here what Philadelphia experienced yesterday. When you deal with the team that plays with the intensity that the forty nine ers do their ability to play on defense, I don't think well, their defense gets credit. Their offense gets a lot of credit. That secondary should get a lot more credit than we give them. And I know the next time around, you know, if you get to see them, then you'll you'll probably appreciate it a little bit more. But man, that that is a well built team when it's healthy, it's very good to outstanding, and they're very well coached, and so they make it makes it difficult. And you know, not to give Philadelphia the excuses, but they're coming off a run, a pretty difficult run if you look at the games that they've played up until this point, that game against Buffalo, the overtime game, that took a lot out of them, and so you know, that's the part that's tough in the National Football League. You play your schedule and you hope that you can survive and move on.
Speaker 6: It's a very very physical team and you saw that on the field, how much on both sides of the team, how much everybody care you. The emotions were really really high in that game, and it felt like a playoff type of game vibe and everything. And also that's karma, that's what happens when you run your mouth about the you know, and then it happens to you because and I'm saying this in reference to all those Eagle fans. I like to get on Twitter and say how bad the Cowboys got beat down by the forty nine ers, which was absolutely true, but then this happens to them as well. So it's just funny how just a dynamic between the fandom and the things that they say online as far as like how certain things only applied to the Cowboys and not to everybody else. And it was an entertaining game. Obviously we're not fans of the forty nine ers, but definitely wanted them to win rather than the Eagles, and hopefully they come to a T and T stadium. A little shook shook after that game because it was a tough game for them. So it's gonna be interesting to see how their energy level and how they show up when they get here for this weekend.
Speaker 2: That was a game.
Speaker 7: If we all remember the playoff game last year where Brock Perdy got hurt. After the game, there were a lot of comments from the forty nine ers that like, hey, no, if we'd had our guy playing you guys would have won this football game.
Speaker 2: So there was a lot of talk from that.
Speaker 7: Forty nine side about all the things leading up to if we see you again, this is what we're going to do. They wrote a lot of checks in the offseason. They cashed every one of them yesterday in that football game.
Speaker 5: Yeah you got right now. Philadelphia sitting at ten and two, and then Cowboys in Detroit both at ninety three with the forty nine ers, and the forty nine ers have now put up forty two points on both the Cowboys and the Eagles.
Speaker 2: Is there a.
Speaker 5: Team or who is the team that presents the best challenge to San Francisco when you look at Dallas, Philadelphia and Detroit.
Speaker 6: H Honestly, I think it comes down to how healthy are the forty nine ers at that moment, because currently.
Speaker 5: Let's assume they're totally healthy.
Speaker 2: See the guys there.
Speaker 6: I still think I would say Detroit.
Speaker 7: I would say Detroit, and I say Detroit because I feel like their offensive line is really good. They've got a veteran quarterback that doesn't turn it over very much. I know in the New Orleans game yesterday, there was you know, it was kind of a you know, they got out to a little bit of lead, and things were kind of falling apart at the end, but they were But that's how New Orleans plays. New Orleans has been that way all year. They get they let you get a lead, their quarterback gets knocked out, and then they rally that kind of thing. I think Detroit is more built, and I think we'll see this when Detroit comes to town. I think Detroit's built more like the forty.
Speaker 2: Nine ers than any other team. You're going to see something very similar.
Speaker 7: The offensive line, the quarterback is you know the way the quarterback plays, the wide receivers, the defense, they don't let you run the ball. There's some questions about the secondary. You got a coach that's kind of a They've got a Ben Johnson. They've got an offensive coordinator that's kind of a wide open, creative kind of a guy. Aaron Glynn has done a heck of a job on the defensive side of the ball as the defensive coordinator. It's going to be a difficult game because I think they're kind of mirror teams.
Speaker 2: But I like the physicality with which the.
Speaker 7: Lions play with Right now, the team I'm terrified of is the forty nine ers.
Speaker 2: I think the Cowboys.
Speaker 7: I mean, I can't sit there and say, you know, we'll see how those AFC games come up. For the Cowboys, they've got Buffalo, which is a wounded team right now. Miami speed terrifies me on the on offense and the way that they play, So you'll see a couple of how you'll match up against those kinds of teams. I don't know if you necessarily want to play Baltimore right now the way that they're kind of rolling on. But Detroit, I think is the team that could give San Francisco the most problems right now if I had to guess.
Speaker 6: Well, also, you've already seen what it looks like against the Cowboys and the Eagles, and how bad like that wasn't even close, you know, it was a total beat down. And what you haven't seen yet is against Detroit. So you would imagine and the Cowboys how many three times now total where they've gone and beat by the forty nine ers.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, it's like two playoff games and then.
Speaker 7: This last you really had no answer this last one, this last game, and it's getting worse defensively, defensively, Dan and then they define job in the playoff games of dealing with that. With that offense, you some of the now your quarterback is playing at such a high level, your play callers on it. Your offensive line has not allowed a sack I think since the Reagan administration was in present. So yeah, that that's kind of where you're at right now. Your team is, you know, they're the team that scares me. You're going the right direction. It's not like you're going to limp into this thing and you're going to play You're playing bad football offensively, you know, defensively, you know there's some some question marks. But but but I'll say this, I you know, you got to give the Cowboys. I feel like they're a lot better offensively than they were the first time they met. I don't know if they're better defensively the last time that the forty nine Ers and the Cowboys. You know, maybe if you had Shack Leonard to that, it might be a little bit different story.
Speaker 5: Ironically. I think that's what it's ultimately going to come down to, is Dallas's defense good enough to make a couple stops Because if they play those playoff games like what they played last week, when you're playing a playoff caliber tea, although right now they're sitting outside the playoffs, Seattle. Is the fact of the matter is, like your defense really wasn't they really wanted their best, They really weren't playing at the level we were customed to see, right, But they made the stop stops absolutely, and that's more playoff football anyway. I think in the NFL there's only a few times in history where you have that that shut down defense that really is special. Most of the time you got teams that are very offense heavy and they have a defense that's opportunistic. And I think that's ultimately what you're going to be asking this defense. If you go up against a forty nine ers team, can you match them offensively and then can your defense make the stop at whatever point in the game it's going to make the difference.
Speaker 6: Yeah, it's gonna be an interesting month. I'm super excited to see kind of how everything shakes up because these are very competitive team with a lot of talent, and now I think the key part of everything is just health, not just for the Cowboys, but for even the forty nine ers and the Eagles as well.
Speaker 5: Yeah, you know, the interesting part about it Brian, when you were talking about the lines being the most like the forty nine Ers, I actually look at it and I think the Cowboys and the Eagles are built to play well against Detroit. I think Detroit is built to play well against San Francisco. And that's where I'm like, it's not gonna end up like that in the playoffs, because if these are your top teams, the Cowboys and the Eagles, they can't be in the top four. Both can't be in the top four. So one of them is gonna have to go up to San Francisco if San Francisco is the one. If San Francisco the twos is the two, that actually sets it up where Detroit would have an opportunity to take them on in the second round, presuming that all thing holds true and the fifteen beats the fourteen. Now you got the four there, and it would be the Cowboys Eagles matchup and forty nine Ers Detroit matchup, where those would be very very closely matched teams. In my opinion, both those teams I think are matched to be able to play well against one another. And then it presents that interesting challenge there for an NFC championship game.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I think when you look at, you know, with Dallas, the way they're playing offensively right now has been it's just super impressive.
Speaker 2: I don't think anybody really wants to match up with Dallas.
Speaker 7: Uh. You know when you look at the quarterback, you know, they're starting to run the ball, they get a hint of a running game if they could find a way to somehow in the next month get that thing where it's where it's a buck twenty five, buck thirty five a game. Now you're in that and that includes potentially Dak having to run the ball some himself. So you know, they find a way of getting a running game. Where I was, we were all talking about the four minute offense, you know, and and Dallas got into a four minute offense game last week and it you know, then they had to you know it they they can you know, they couldn't completely run it out. But in the playoffs and down the stretch here, you're going to have to be good in that four minute offense to be able to And I always like to talk about the middle eight. You know, they got beat in the middle eight, and the middle eight is the first four minute, the last the last four minutes of the first half. In the first four minutes in Seattle scored fourteen points in the middle eight on you.
Speaker 2: So you know you got to be able.
Speaker 7: You know, coming out of coming going into half, you gotta be on it, and then coming out of half, you gotta be on it. And Dallas really wasn't on it last week like they need to be.
Speaker 5: Let's take our first break when we come back. I want to have you guys rank the NFC and one question half for you guys. There are a lot of teams that are bunched up in that six and six range. Some of those teams getting hot here in the latter part of the season. I'm gonna ask you, guys, which of those six and six teams you think is most dangerous. We'll talk about that when we come back. Dallas Cowboys dot Com Radio.
Speaker 8: Todd thought it would be secure to jog in the Cheat of Savannah. Todd believed the big Cat repellent he bought online was reliable. And now Todd is trying to be faster than this cheetah that can run eighty miles per hoy. But the good news is Todd has at and t five g it is fast, reliable, and secure, and he learned the best thing to do is stop running and toss her the backpack with the beef stew at and t five G Fast, reliable, secure, It's not complicated.
Speaker 9: Five G requires compatible planning device. Five G may not be available in your area. See att dot com Slash five G for you for details.
Speaker 10: Cowboys fans, after that move, we've just coined the term rowdy replay.
Speaker 2: Let's roll back the table.
Speaker 11: Okay, there's our mascot rowdy cheering on the boys. And now he's on his phone on his Bank of America Mobile Banking.
Speaker 10: App, staying on top of his finances with his virtual financial Assistant Erica.
Speaker 11: Bank of America's digital tools are so impressive. Cowboys fans just can't stop banking. Learn more at Bank of America dot com slash Can't Stop Banking Everica.
Speaker 2: It is only available in the Elis language.
Speaker 3: You must download the latest version of the mobile banking app.
Speaker 5: Only available on so like mobile devices.
Speaker 10: Message data rates apply.
Speaker 5: Remember FDIC.
Speaker 12: Welcome back into Dear Doctor, the show where I answer Life's questions with an ice cold can of doctor pepper. Sheila, let's hear from my next caller, would.
Speaker 3: You there, doctor?
Speaker 5: My friend supported me during a tough time. But what's the right gift that says thanks for being the soldier to cry out?
Speaker 12: Okay, this one's easy, I say, give a delicious Doctor Pepper. Nothing says thanks good better than one of a kind soda. Yes, any Doctor Pepper flavor will do. Now, Just a reminder that I don't need to be a real doctor to know that Doctor Pepper is the one you deserve.
Speaker 4: They say champions are remembered, but legends are never forgotten. United Agon Turf offers a winning lineup of John Deere equipment built to tackle any challenge on and off the field. Legendary John Deere Tractors combines residential mowers, commercial mowers, compact construction equipment, hater utility vehicles, and a full line of golf and sports turf equipment. United Agon Turf the official agonturf equipment supplier of the Dallas Cowboys. Visit United dagonturf dot com to find a location near you.
Speaker 7: Back to the Break, just a season for youth football and dance camps presented by Visa Line. Don't miss Chancellorn from the Dallas Cowboys cheerleaders and former NFL players at and T Stadium twenty second and twenty third celebrate the holidays with Cowboys Register TODA at Dallas cowboys dot com slash Camps Welcome Back.
Speaker 5: It is the second segment of The Break live from the SWBC Mortgage Studios at the Star. UH, let's talk about the NFC. I want you guys to rank these teams. We got at the top Philadelphia, San Francisco, Detroit, Dallas, UH, and then a whole cluster of six and six teams Minnesota, Green Bay, Atlanta, the Rams, and Seattle. How would you rank those NFC teams right now?
Speaker 7: You know, it's just looking at something. I think the Packers are playing really really well right now. And you know, if you look at their they're in a three game winning streak. I think they've beaten the Chargers, the Lions in Detroit, and then they also beat the Chiefs and so and then and then the remaining schedule. I think they've got Giants, Tampa Bay, a Bears on there. Yeah, this thing is gonna Yeah, They've got some They've got some games that they should absolutely win. You know, Minnesota's right now, they were kind of writing the Josh Dobbs train and now it's like, you know, they lose a game, but you know, and then all of a sudden, it's like, well, we've got to look at our quarterback situation. So they might be a team that's faltering down the stretch. The the Rams are an interesting one because that is really about we talk about health and when when the Rams are healthy on offense, they're very capable of.
Speaker 2: Putting up a lot of points.
Speaker 7: And Matthew Stafford actually looks healthy playing football right now. So the Rams at six and six, we'll see. Seattle's a team we all saw, so we know what Seattle is. Seattle's a team you could put points on. The problem is dealing with those wide receivers. I don't want to see them again, you know, I really really don't. I made that very clear on Friday. I didn't want to see him ever again. And but you know that's their quarterback can also have problems, and I would I would say that to me. The team, I feel like it has the best chance of going forward and being a team that could be a six or seven team in the playoffs and then go win a game against it. You know, a two or three kind of thing. I think it's Green Bay because I really do. I think that they're kind of figuring things out defensively. Their receivers are coming around, but their quarterbacks playing at a really nice level right now. They're and they're learning a lot about him. So I would give the Packers and the Seahawks. I go Packers, Rams, Seahawks kind of my three right now.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I think. I mean with the Packers, you see them trending upwards, and you see the teams that they have faced in the last few weeks and that they beat, So that's impressive and you gotta start keeping an eye on them. But you talk about teams like Seattle, the Rams, things like they just don't have the consistency they There are teams that they have talented players. You see them be competitive, but it's just like one of those tops you toss the coin and it's like, Okay, which team is going to show up? How are they going to perform today? Type of situation. Nothing can like I wouldn't bet on any of those teams. So not that we can't do any beting, but we don't bet. No, we did not against the law. No, But it's it's impressive, honestly to see the Packers kind of start turning things around, and especially it's still hard to see a Packers team without Aaron Rodgers and just see them be successful. So it's it's interesting and impressive some of the things that they've been able to accomplish here in the last few months.
Speaker 5: Last month, I like what I'm saying from Green Bay. But the fact is, if I'm looking at the playoffs, I still put the Rams and Seahawks ahead of them as a dangerous team because of the veteran presence on those terms. I mean, you've got I mean with the Rams, you got those guys, they got they got several of their their leaders that were there when they won the Super Bowl, So they know how to play that playoff football, right And I think, you know the Packers right now, they're kind of surprising people, kind of jumping up. You get to the playoffs, it's a whole different ballgame. Oh it is so, and so I still if I'm having to to just as you said bet on It, I would say I'm more concerned about I would be more concerned about the Rams and the Seahawks because they're veteran there's a veteran presence there that will understand the playoffs a little bit better than the Packers. But I agree with that. I think the Packers are playing as well as anybody, right.
Speaker 7: Yeah, the Rams, if you look at the remaining schedule, there's probably a couple of games they are going to lose. They're at the Ravens this weekend, and then they finish up with San Francisco at San Francisco and then they traditionally play the forty nine Ers pretty well yep, and so you know that that's something to kind of keep an eye on.
Speaker 2: As we like to say, Uh, but I.
Speaker 6: Look at Seattle's schedules. The next few games forty nine Ers Eagles and then the Titans, Steelers and then Cardinals. Well those next these next two games for them, those are tough games.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 7: The thing about it is like, yeah, it's it's just a matter of you know, can you find ways to win those games?
Speaker 2: Or you know that that's the thing.
Speaker 7: You're you're along the way, You're gonna win some games that you probably shouldn't and you're gonna lose a couple that you probably shouldn't either, So you know that's where we're at right. I never would have believed that that Arizona could have gone into Pittsburgh and won a game yesterday, but they did with all the weather delays and things that.
Speaker 2: They had yesterday.
Speaker 7: You know that that's that's a really really there's some bad losses, and Arizona is usually involved with your bad loss. You know, if you're one of those teams like Pittsburgh Dallas kind of have a shared of the that was a bad loss deal right there.
Speaker 5: One of the tough things is that the Atlanta Falcons or somebody from the NFC South is going to take a spot from one of these other teams because I don't think, I don't think. I don't think there's a team in the NFC South that is as good as the top probably eight teams seven eight teams in the NFC. But but they're gonna have da have a spot obvious, because they're gonna have a division winner. Who do you think right now is in line to be that division winner?
Speaker 7: I think it's probably going to be Atlanta myself. But the thing with the thing that makes Atlanta hard to deal with is they're really not very good on offense. I don't think you know, if you just believe in metrics and statistics and things like that, you know, they really really struggle in the passing game, and you know, but they want to try and run the football that's there. That's if you're if you're a team that are playing them, you have to worry about their ground game, yep, because they will. They they they're top three in attempts, they're top six or seven in yards, and so if you know you're going to get a heavy dose of them running the football at you, they're going to try and make the game ugly and all that to deal with. But defensively they're kind of midpack. You know, I just think that they're better to me. The Saints are a some weeks they find it. Other weeks. The Saints never can get a lead in a game and then be able to It always seems like they're playing from behind, and they turn the ball over at an alarming rate. So I feel like that's why Atlanta will probably win.
Speaker 5: Well.
Speaker 6: Neither team, the Falcons or the Bugs. Offensively, they're not good at scoring, Like, they cannot score many many points, and that's gonna be a problem at some point. You got to figure out how to get it in the end zone and start summing up some points. But right now, out of the two, I would say I would agree with the Falcons, and also with the schedule that they got coming up, and they're gonna face the Bucks here soon. I think that's the game that the Falcons would end up winning against the Buccaneers. But it's one of them is gonna make it. But I think though it won't be one of those scenarios where all of a sudden you get surprised and they end up making it to the top. They're gonna be eliminated in the well.
Speaker 2: It's to Derek's point too, if I say.
Speaker 6: That, because you never freaking know in the end, Yeah.
Speaker 2: You're right.
Speaker 7: No, it's the thing Derek said about the young quarterback. If Atlanta makes it with with with their with their young quarterback there, I mean his first time and all the like I said, they're going to lean on. I mean it is going to be can you stop the run? They are not going to throw a ball in a playoff game.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 7: The problem, to your point, Ambar, is Dallas can also put a lot of points up on a board, and that that puts a lot of pressure on you. To have to make plays and if you can't do that, then Dallas will run you out of the park.
Speaker 5: And that's really any one of those teams you want to mention NFC South, I think the one that would. I mean, all of their offenses can tend to be very sporadic. Yeah, New Orleans, if they get on a roll, they can make they can score sho points, but they're so erratic and they turn the ball over. Tampa Bay the same thing. Like Tampa Bay's a team that's kind of erratic. If you get them on a roll, they got some weapons that can kill you, but they're just so erratic you don't know what you're going.
Speaker 7: There used to be a big, big home field advantage in New Orleans, right and I don't think it's there anymore. I think New Orleans used to have that ability to kind of hurt you like Seattle used to hurt you with their crowd, you know. And I think that if they have to go, if Dallas has to go to Atlanta, huge crowd based from the east coming that way, if they go to New Orleans, huge crowd based coming, you know, We'll find a way to get down to New Orleans for that game, so they'll they'll make it difficult.
Speaker 2: They'll battle either.
Speaker 7: Atlanta's fans or the Saints fans for that stadium for sure.
Speaker 5: Before we go to break, I want to selfishly talk a little bit about college football and I want to get your opinion on where do you think the college football Playoff Committee got it right? I think that's kind of the topic that's dominating football fans around the country. They put in Michigan, Washington, Texas, and Alabama. Yeah, two teams in there, Texas and Alabama who both have one lost. Florida State did not lose this season. Did they get it right?
Speaker 7: Well, they might not have got the first team right. If you want to be honest with you. The Washington I think is I know Washington has had its moments. Michigan's schedule does nothing for me right now. They won the Ohio State game, which is a big win, huge win. It's one of the legendary wins and Jim Harbaugh has done it three times in a row now, which is huge, which is huge for his because there was a time three four years ago where Jim Harball they were talking about getting rid of him, and now the circles they're still hearing circles about him leaving Michigan in that program and going to coach the Bears. So that just shows you kind of where maybe everything's at Michigan right now. I do feel like though that I do feel terrible for Florida State, and I feel terrible for the reason why I think they're punishing them for their quarterback not being in the you know, not being in the in the in the part of the game now, and you know, it's it's unfortunate part of the game, the injuries. And they talk, but that's scheduled that they've played. They've you know, they've managed it. They play tremendous defense. I mean Florida State. They they turned the ball over. They turned the ball over in that game the other night against Louisville basically on their own ten yard line, and they get an interception to stop that, you know, and they all they've done is.
Speaker 2: All the games that they've played.
Speaker 7: You know, they've asked these kids to play, keep playing, keep playing, keep playing next man up, and they keep winning. And I think that you have to respect that at some point in time. Now, is it pretty to not have a quarterback and go into one of these games.
Speaker 2: No, it's not.
Speaker 7: It's not that you know, we've we've seen that bad quarterback play leads to blog games and nobody wants to blog game. But Florida State the way that they're everybody talks about offense and that the team's left, you know, Michigan and Washington and Texas, Florida State's defense is capable of stopping any one of those offensive attacks.
Speaker 2: And Alabama.
Speaker 7: To me, and I'm not saying this because I'm an LSU guy, I have the utmost respect for Alabama, but they there, They were a fourth and thirty one away from not being in this thing at all. And you want to talk about and you want to talk about the eye test and all that stuff. Hey, they won, they won the game. They beat Auburn, but Florida State won under a lot of duress themselves. I just feel like it's completely unfair to keep a thirteen win team out of this playoff, you know. And I think, whether it's the quarterback or not, their defense could play with anybody in the country and make it that type of a game.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that's kind of part of my issue with this too. And I'm gonna be honest with you, guys like even As Texas being the third seed. I personally believe that's a travesty. I don't think Florida State should be ranked lower than Texas in this case. They should have been the number three team in this poll because everybody they face they beat exactly, that's it. Everybody they face they beat. And my belief is that when we start talking about, well the quarterback is out, this is how much how many times do we talk about football being a three phase Sportland. Sure, the offense, you got defense down, special teams, really good teams, Really good teams know how to even if one phase lacks, they know how to bring it up another notch. And that's exactly what we've seen them do. That Louisville team has a good offense, they do they shut them down. They completely. Defense is legit, and and my problem is they should have had the ability and the opportunity to be able to go out there and say, yeah, we don't have our starting quarterback, but our defense may still be good enough, as you said, to stop all those other offenses. And if we can do that and manufacture some points as they did in a Louisville game, we could win some game.
Speaker 7: Gave up, they gave up a block punt and didn't give up. I mean, it's it's amazing the things that happened to Florida State in that game, and their defense would not allow them to lose that game. They you know, and and really they tried to. They tried to coach around the quarterback. They did, and they you know, their second quarterbacks and concussion protocol and by the time the games are going to be played, he should be fine. So they're you know, they're but you know, they're they're punishing Florida State for not having their quarterback and that's unfair.
Speaker 5: And the other thing we're saying here, and this is just the reality of where college football is going. It's not a Power and the Power two. It is the Big Ten and the SECC and they are never going to leave those conferences out of a playoff scenario like this. They're just not going to do it. This was the prime opportunity for them to do it. They're just not going to do it. And especially now that you have these big brands from the Pac twelve and the Big twelve now moving into the SEC and the Big Ten, it's only going to get worse. It is a two power conference well in college football, and that's where that's where the champions are going to typically come from.
Speaker 7: Yeah, we got twelve twelve teams next year and you know that, Well, hopefully that'll help them, but the thirteenth team will have a complaint. I think I think LSU's the thirteenth team right now, and.
Speaker 5: They have found a way to get LSU in this too.
Speaker 7: Well, we didn't deserve an opportunity, but how poorly. But you're going to have a Heistman Trophy winner from LSU this year. The thing about it is to me and I just you know, there's going to be a day and Derek, you know this because of your background in media, is that there's going to be a day where we have forty college football teams playing and they're going to play each other and it's going to be just for TV. It's going to be a TV driven league where number number two Texas plays number fourteen LSU, and it's gonna be those teams playing and they're going to control all the telem It's about inventory and they're going to have the best inventory and that's how they're going to sell these packages. You know, and maybe teams thirty nine and forty get relegated. If you're not good enough, then you get relegated, and we bring two more teams into the myth.
Speaker 5: That's going to be college foot it's going to be college football.
Speaker 7: But yeah, we're going to have forty teams playing each other every single week and it's going to be billions of dollars involved.
Speaker 5: I think that at the at the least, there's going to be two conferences, but I think it's going to all consolidate where you're right, You're going to have the best teams in the super conference. Well, these two super conferences, and that's where all the games are going to be, and it's going to fund the championship is gonna come from there.
Speaker 7: It's going to fund all the other sports that are involved in those athletic programs too that they you know, they always talk about, you know, hey, the women's sports and the lower sports men's sports and stuff, and that's what they're gonna do. It's going to make so much money in this thing that all the the the all these universities that are part of this are going to be rewarded for it, and their athletic.
Speaker 2: Programs will be rewarded to it through through through money.
Speaker 5: All Right, We're going to take our final break.
Speaker 6: Y'all know.
Speaker 7: I know.
Speaker 6: Football, but just listening to this, I'm already stressed out. Like I'm like, man, I could not handle another layer of football level experience.
Speaker 2: It stress.
Speaker 6: That sounds very very stressful.
Speaker 7: It's stressful when your team's involved, it really really is. And I feel terrible for guys like a John Mashoda who is a huge fan. He spends his money and travels and goes and sees games at Florida State. We all love John and what he does. But you know, I mean, you know, you take that hard, you do. I mean, hey, trip to the Orange Bowl is nice, but it's not the same as being in New Orleans or in Pasadena for a match.
Speaker 5: Yeah, exactly, That's exactly right. And that's fandom. And I was I was having this conversation with Steve Dennis on Twitter on Twitter and the fact, yeah, he was trying to make the difference between and a lum and a fan, and I'm like, no, man, fandom is hard.
Speaker 2: It's hard.
Speaker 5: If you're a real fan, you don't just pick up and leave because your team's losing. You go through it, and when you go through it, you go through the friar, however long it takes, so you can get back to that moment of glory, because those moments of winning are worth all the bad stuff you deal with the oi of the years. So that fantom is hard.
Speaker 2: Man, it is very hard.
Speaker 5: And I don't I don't ever.
Speaker 6: I deal with enough stress with the Cowboys.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 5: It's hardcasually when you got NFL and you've got college, it's a lot, just a lot. But in moments like this, as you can tell from a voice, man is so great. Team actually wins. It's so great. All Right, we're gonna take our final break. We'll come back and we ask some questions as she's gotten from you guys. We'll get to those in just a moment. Is Dallas Cowboys dot Com Radio.
Speaker 8: Todd thought it would be secure to jog in the Cheatah Savannah. Todd believed the big Cat repellent he bought online was reliable. And now Todd is trying to be faster than this cheetah that can run eighty miles per hour. But the good news is Todd has a T and T five G. It is fast, reliable, and secure, and he learned the best thing to do is stop running and toss her the backpack with the beef stew at and t five G fast, reliable, secure, It's not complicated.
Speaker 9: Five G requires compatable plan and device. Five G may not be available in your area. See att dot com slash five G for you for details.
Speaker 3: Don't put off getting your oil change. Dallas. Take five Oil Change, a proud partner of the Cowboys, is faster than you think. There's no appointment needed and no waiting room. Yep, you hurt that correctly. Take five is so fast you don't even have to get out of your car. You can take advantage of Take five's fast, friendly and simple service at any of their locations across the Dallas area. And remember, at Take five you stay in your car because they're faster than you think. Take five the official oil change of the Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 10: It's the official men's skincare brand of the Dallas Cowboys, Jack black and right now, Cowboys fans can get fifteen percent off their seventy five dollars order. Plus, because every deal needs a playmaker, your order will include a free five piece skincare set and free shipping The Jack Black Playmaker is four of Jack's favorites in a full sized, intense therapy liptball. Make a play for the Playmaker at Getjack Black dot com slash Cowboys with the code Cowboys VIP. That's get Jack Black dot com slash.
Speaker 2: Cowboys with the code Cowboys VIP.
Speaker 4: They say champions are remembered, but legends are never forgotten. United Agon Turf offers a winning lineup of John Deere equipment built to tackle any challenge on and off the field. Legendary John Deere Tractors combines residential mowers, commercial mowers, compact construction equipments, cater utility vehicles, and a full line of golf and sports turf equipment. United Agon Turf the official Agonturf equipment supplier of the Dallas Cowboys. Visit United Agonturf dot com to find a location near you.
Speaker 2: Back to the Break.
Speaker 7: Experienced the most electrifying event of the holiday season, The Cowboys Christmas Extravaganza powered by Reliant. Every Friday and Saturday night through December sixteenth, The Cowboys Christmas Extravaganzag knights the Star and Frisco with an unforgettable holiday performance. Ship King showcasing sixty five performers, including the world renown Dallas Cowboys cheerleaders, Santa Claus, and appearance from your favorite Dallas Cowboy football heroes. Visit the Star District dot com for more info.
Speaker 5: Welcome back to the final segment of the Break Life form the SWBC Mortgage Studios. At the start, the segment brought to you by blockchain dot Com. And now I'm going to do what I should have done at the beginning of the show. I'm going to hand it over to Amber. Let's go, all right.
Speaker 6: One of the questions, I've been seen a lot any updates on Shack and I know people are waiting on this.
Speaker 7: I asked this morning and they're still waiting. So there was thought that maybe in talking to some folks in the front office, they thought maybe they would get an answer on Sunday, and then they got pushed to Monday, and as of say ten thirty this morning, they were still waiting.
Speaker 5: And as we thought, shack Letter is driving this decision. Ultimately, he'll decide what team he wants. This is a recruiting type situation. He'll decide which of those teams he wants to be on and that'll be how.
Speaker 6: It works us so many it should happen.
Speaker 2: I think I think today you get today, we'll get answered. Yeah, today you'll get answered.
Speaker 6: Yeah. What helps the Cowboys down this stretch with these tough games coming up? Red zone efficiency woos disappear or defensive penalties go down significantly?
Speaker 7: That's a really great question. Who answered that? Do you have an ant who answer asked that question?
Speaker 6: Here we go our oreg ALEX fifty two.
Speaker 7: Okay, yes, I'm sorry, great and Twitter nobody has their real name except us, right, we put our names out there on the line every day. But the the the thing about it is, I do think the penalties are a problem.
Speaker 2: I really do. And I know Dallas.
Speaker 7: To me, there's times that they can overcome things that happened to them in the red zone as long as they don't turn the ball. But they could get penalties down there is that and they kind of figure it all out, the defensive penalties, the way with the lining up of off sides and you know the false well the you know, jumping off sides, the defensive holdings, things like that.
Speaker 2: You know those penalties.
Speaker 7: I mean, we haven't seen any, you know, Sam Williams roughing the passer penalties or hands of the face here lately. But yeah, I think tho's some of these defensive finds. The DPI penalties were big. The other day, defensive passingerference penalties were big. So if you're going to be any good in these games, you can't give these offenses second chances and third chances. And I think the Cowboys did that in that Seattle game, you know, And so I'd like to see that go away.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I was trying to pull it up. I couldn't get it up quickly enough to see. But the red zone efficiency seems to be a problem, and especially in the games that they've lost this year, and then it creaked back up here against Seattle. They were only fifty percent in the red zone, only fifty percent and this is the bigger one, only fifty percent in goal to go situation. Yeah, that's a problem because when you get into the playoffs, you're going to need those scores, especially when you're dealing with the likes of Philadelphia, with the likes of San Francisco, with the likes of Detroit. You're gonna have to score h And So although I think the penalties are a problem, I think the zone is an even bigger problem just because and it's like, the red zone isn't the problem itself, it's emblematic of other things. It's emblematic of the fact that you can't consistently run the ball.
Speaker 2: That's really what the problem is.
Speaker 5: And so you get down the red zone, you have compact feel and you can't effectively run the ball. You get in gold to gol situations. How many times we've seen you know, you know, first and goal at the eight and you only pick up one yard on first down. Like it's if you can't run the ball in those situations when there's a compact feel, you make it even harder to be able to throw because you don't have a lot of room to throw right. So at the end of the day, they got to figure out this running game. Because they solve the running game, that will solve, in my opinion, a lot of the red zone and goal to go situation.
Speaker 7: I think they're not showing you Dak Prescott pulling the ball down on the goal line.
Speaker 2: I think they're not. I think they're going to.
Speaker 7: I think we're going to see if it gets into playoffs, there's going to be a lot more of Dak pulling that ball and trying to hammer it, hammer it at home, you know, like they're on the eight first down, that pull the ball. Everybody's collapsing because they don't think Dak is going to run.
Speaker 6: But I think I think those have mostly been successful.
Speaker 2: They haven't been done it.
Speaker 7: If they have been, absolutely And I think that's something that you know that that to me, that would be a quick fix. More Dak pulling the ball and trying to get you know, the four or five yards or maybe even break that thing into the end zone.
Speaker 6: Yeah, what's your confidence level? And Terrence Steel putting together a good game against the Eagles this week?
Speaker 5: Man, he had another rough one last week, So I don't know.
Speaker 2: I mean.
Speaker 5: The tough part is that he's going to be facing a guy in Reddick that I think is among the very best rushers in the league. And so even even giving up two to three pressures in this game is going to be somewhat of a win because that guy is a he's a beast. So I think you put it on it, you graded on a curve. I think he will have I think he will have a better day than he had last week. Yeah, I don't know if it'll be without flaws. Though.
Speaker 7: The problem they run into is they have such good inside players that Zach Martin can't help him all the time. You know, they've got those big defensive tackles, and they've got guys they'll put inside and rush.
Speaker 2: The passer, and and you know.
Speaker 7: And so all of a sudden, Philadelphia turned you into a one on one blocking team. You know, how much can the out how much can Pollard help? You know how much can Rico Doubtle help? How much can putting Sean McEwan over there, or putting Ferguson over there, putting Schoonmaker over there. You know, you've got to find ways to widen him away from the ball, make him have to deal with a full man two gaps away from being If you put him right on the shoulder of steel, that's a that's a quicker path to the quarterback, move him out a whole player, another whole two gaps. That's maybe the ball gets out with Dak before he gets around the corner. But you got to be careful of helping him because if you get backs, they bump into linemen sometimes and it throws them off, It throws their blocking to their sets, and all of a sudden they have they get hit from the side and they're like, now they're thrown off, and now you've got two guys and the one guy gets around him. Because folk blockers are problems, you have to be really careful about trying to help him in how much in this game.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I think the thing that also will save him and then the entire offensive line is the fact that Dak is just playing on a whole other level right now. So even when pressure gets there, escape, Dak is escaping, he's finding the open guy down field, he's getting the ball out. So you know, this last game, unless you went and looked at some of the specific stats around pressures, it didn't really look like Steele had a horrible day. You go look at his number of around pressures, you're like, oh, that's kind of a high number. I think what I saw was.
Speaker 2: Like Hian Smith had a high high pressure number. Time it happens.
Speaker 5: But the beautiful part about it is you don't notice it as much right now just because Dak's playing at such a high level. Man, it's it's just unconscient, unconscionable to think about how good he's playing relative to what this looked like at other times in his career. And that's not to say he was bad in those times. It's just saying he's been a good quarterback. Right now he's playing on a different level to well. Also, just such a higher.
Speaker 6: Level for being in sync with the receivers, Like now he doesn't have to stay there in the pocket holding the ball and thinking where am I going to throw it to?
Speaker 7: Is?
Speaker 6: I think it's a combination too, with some of the play calling and the receivers just doing what they're supposed to do, being on time in the route that they're doing, and Dak being able to kind of get rid of the ball very quickly.
Speaker 7: One of the big problems they had in the last meeting with Philadelphia was the pressures. And I think the coaches realize that playing at home will help. Yeah, but I think Mike now will Taylor a game plan to help in that way.
Speaker 6: I think this is a very, very different team than when they faced the last time. So I'm so pumped for this week.
Speaker 2: Really at home, they are a different Oh yeah.
Speaker 4: No doubt.
Speaker 6: Last question, real quick, can the Cowboys apply next Sunday some of the concepts that San Francisco used to this mantle the Eagles mostly on defense.
Speaker 7: I'm looking forward to sitting down and really studying that game, which I'll do tonight. But you can always steal things you could. Matter of fact, I know we talked about how to stop San Francisco with how what Cleveland did with We thought about playing too deep and then running the run in the running the safeties in the middle field as a robber that you know, so you're playing you're really playing at three levels. So yeah, you know, there's there's always things. There's always ideas that you could steal from previous games and say, Okay, we can do it this way. It might not be exactly what San Francisco does, but the thought of it, of how to get to it will come to Dan Quinn.
Speaker 2: And then watching this tape, Yeah to me, Buffalo too.
Speaker 7: I mean there'll be some things that even you know, you could go back to three games that maybe that you know that what what Winterally gave Philly problem and there's stuff that you gave them problem with when you played them last.
Speaker 2: Time, but you don't.
Speaker 7: You know, it's all about how you attack their in my opinion, how you attack their offensive line. That's how I that's how I think you get after Philly.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I think there are probably some things that that you could look at, but quite frankly, for me, this game is more of a measure stick on how much has this dac led offense evolved since they played Philadelphia. I want to see if they can finish the drives that they didn't finish in Philadelphia. I want to see if they can, you know, in situations where the rush got to them and really killed their drive. Can they take advantage of those situations now like they've been doing against some of these other teams. Can they have the same type of offense they can they have the type of offensive production in this game that they've been having the last several weeks. If they can do that, which, by the way, that was a good game they played in Philadelphia. They just had some slight things that they weren't clicking on, and if they get those things solved, I don't know they have to do something different. I just think they got to be better than they were in Philadelphia, and they've been better the last few weeks. Now we'll see if it translates against Philadelphia.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I agree, and oh my god, I can't, I cannot wait. I cannot wait for this weekend and how it's going to look because again, the Cowboys are so much better than the last time they face them. They have every like they have more things going to their advantage right now than Phelly does at the moment, and when they face them, like you said, it was such a close game, like it didn't come down to where it wasn't San Francisco and how that looked like where they got completely dominated. This was such a close game and it came down to the wire. So it's gonna be an exciting one for sure.
Speaker 5: All Right, we appreciate you guys joining us. We're back tomorrow. We will get to some more fan questions tomorrow. Amber will have a game for us. What is a little fun stuff tomorrow because we have another day before we got to jump right into Cowboys versus Eagles, So until that for Brian brought us Amber Garcia. I'm Derek Eagles and this has been the Break live on Dallas Cowboys dot Com Radio.
Speaker 1: This has been a production of Dallascowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club.