Speaker 1: Howard, my dad was t boned by a utility vehicle and isn't surgery now what should I do?
Speaker 2: I'm sorry to hear about that. It's really great that you're getting him the medical care and treatment that he needs right now. These are three important things that I think you need to know. Injuries are unexpected and turn lives upside down. I'm Howard Ankin, and I'm here to help. If you are a loved one. I have been heard at work for the car truck to write your accident called three one two six million injury law made personal. That's aken law.
Speaker 3: From your favorite source for Chicago White Sox Talk, delivering news, interviews, analysis and more. This is the Socks Machine Podcast with your hosts Jim Margolis, James Vegan, and Josh Nelson.
Speaker 1: Hello, everyone, welcome to a episode of the Sox Machine Podcast. I'm your host of Josh Nelson and this is a special edition episode as we're just within a couple of weeks away of the twenty twenty six Major League Baseball Draft that will be held on July eleventh, part of Major League Baseball's All Star Game festivities. On that note, thanks to all of our Sox Machine supporters. We will be sending James Figan to Philadelphia to cover the All Star Game festivities for US at SOXS Machine tagalong with hopefully multiple Chicago White Sox players representing the team in the Midsummer Classic. But for this episode, with the MLB Draft combine completed, we don't see any more games, no more showcases, so we have a better understanding of what these prospects can and can't do. So we'll be previewing the upcoming MLB Draft. But also want to let you know that on July eleventh, Sox Machine will be having our own MLB Draft show that will be streaming. You could watch us or listen to us while the Mob Draft is unfolding again on Saturday, July eleventh.
Speaker 4: Now joining me to.
Speaker 1: Help review the upcoming MLB Draft is one of our best friends of the show from MLB dot Com. It's Jim Kallis and Hello, Jim, how are you?
Speaker 5: I'm doing good, Josh? I guess as we record this we are? Are we twelve days from the draft? Is that what we are? All the days? Are you excited? Number one pick?
Speaker 4: You know what?
Speaker 1: When I was going to bring this topic up with you, it's so funny and how things have changed. Like when the White Sox won the draft lottery, it seemed like my task was easy track Rock Jelowski and Landon Tomi. But Jim, we can be talking about the first place Chicago White Sox having the number one overall pick, and in the grand scheme of things like this number one pick doesn't carry as much important to the franchise as it did back in last December.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean, I still think it curious the same importance. But it's funny because I do think most White Sox fans and I probably would have said the most important day in twenty twenty six for the White Sox will be July eleventh, and it's still an important day. But you know, they've hung around this long and the Al Central is not a juggernaut, and they have a shot to make the playoffs, which we don't like. I always thought they'd be respectable this year, maybe get to seventy five wins, you know, because they're bringing young talent, and then next year maybe they'd kind of make a little run at the wild card. And a lot of times, you see, I don't mean to rain a little down the parade when they like the team's a lot of young talent I think get better more quickly, more often than not than we expect. Like they all like a year ahead of time, and then they take a little step back and then they're good going forward. So I don't know if the White Sox take a little step back, but yeah, it is. It is funny, how like not only do we think of July eleven day, it matters, Just like I was joking, like surely, like can I put Rock Chilowski and Landon Tome on the White Sox top thirty back in February? Come go ahead and do that? And he laughed. But but yeah, like a has changed since they won the draft lottery six months ago.
Speaker 1: Now, last week was the MLB Draft Combine, and for podcast listeners and Sox Machine followers, you guys are aware of what the combine is. You also know that the top prospects don't participate. So this is a great opportunity for some of those high schoolers that are maybe on the radar teams in the late first round gym to get one last chance to impress, maybe some of those college hitters that we don't know exactly where to place in our top one fifty or top two hundred lists. So for this year's draft combine, how did it go in your opinion?
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean it's interesting because the draft combine does matter, although I do think the most important aspects of draft combine for ninety nine percent of players, maybe ninety five percent of players, are the interviews with teams, although they've talked to teams in a lot of cases beforehand, but just you get to talk to upper level guys maybe more than you would and the medical exams, like the on field stuff doesn't really matter that much, like if you're till I'm out of college hitter, those guys have all played sixty games, like we've seen him play. There's there's video of every at bat of those guys on Synergy and True Media. So just because a guy goes out kinen Bogenpol, for instance, goes out and hits the alle hundred nineteen miles an hour, that's great, and I like kan Bogenpol and he's a big athlete. But he hit six home runs this year Missouri State after hitting twenty one freshmen. So it's not like all of a sudden, like, oh, he hit the one hundred nineteen miles an hour. I feel good that he's gonna hit for Power and like, I will say, the thing was interesting this year is I think more of the top high school guys participated. Not great Anderson in Jacob Lombard, but you saw Trevor Kahn, and you saw Bo Laurence, you saw toaj Mark Sean, you saw Aiden Release, you saw Cold Prosec. Cold pro Sec not only worked out, he played in the game on Monday night they play. It's more of a more of a showcase style. It's not really a game where you know, they roll innings and Titcher's face ex o her batters and it was funny. I alway was shocked he played in the game because what he told me, I was like, oh, really, why'd you play in the game. He's like, I was here, why wouldn't I? So I do think with the high school guys, at least they like And I know I was trying to one agent who represents a lot of the top high school players, and he's like, these guys take VP and INFO all time. It's not going to hurt them, and they like to compete. So I don't know that that stuff mattered, But I do think from a broadcast standpoint, I do think this was the best broadcast we've had in six years on MLB Network because A you had a higher quality of players, especially in the high school side, actually participating in workouts, and B for whatever reason we had I think it feels like a patridge. We've had fifteen plus guys wired up from network, maybe more than that. This year, I think there were only nine people wired up, like from a commentating standpoint, and they focused a lot more on the players as opposed to, hey, here's Prince Fielder or hey, you's CC Sabathia's son. It was like all prospects. And in particular I enjoyed having Dano Doubt and Mike Rizzo at the desk, two longtime general managers, and Mike Rizzo was a longtime Sky director. And then I thought, if anybody watched, you had Jim Tome, Xavier Scruggs, and Mike Lowell behind the batting cage, and I thought they were great just breaking down players and grabbing players and talking to them. So I thought from a broadcast standpoint, it was the best broadcast we've done, and it was cool to see the Trevor Connons and the Bola Ronces and taj Marshawn's and all those cult process going on. It just seemed like I didn't out count it up. But I bet if you took the top ten high school hitters in the class, it felt like at least six or seven of them were working out, and that's kind of unusual.
Speaker 1: So after this combine, because there's no more college games, there's no more high school showcases for this draft.
Speaker 4: Class, it's pretty much it.
Speaker 1: So from now until draft day, it's all conversations and negotiations between teams and those players representatives if either that's family for high schoolers or now they can have agents. Do you have a better sense of the quality of this draft class after the combine gym?
Speaker 5: I wouldn't say I have a better sense because I don't really think the combine, like I said, moved the needle. Like it's not like we saw a bunch of college pictures. And even if the best college pitchers are all out there throwing twenty pitches, okay, but I mean I think, you know, a I think it's a decent draft, and I you know, even if it's like it's not like you think about to twenty twenty four and how low that draft was with college players who are gonn get to the big leagues almost overnight. It's not as strong as that, at least the top first round. But even this isn't a bad draft. But even if it were a bad draft, there's good players in every draft, Like, like Thomas skyn director is always tell you, like, even if it's not, you know, a great draft, their job is still the same to go out and find the best players they can. So I think it's a you know, I think, you know, just breaking down, like, think about it. Demographically, the high school pitchers are pretty strong. Oh that's funny because that's the demographic that scares teams the most. The high school hitters. You know, originally I was thinking they weren't that deep. It seems like more and more guys are emerging. So high school hitting crop is fine. The college hitting crop is interesting because there's a lot of depth to it. Although a lot of the guys have like a major Hickey that you know, it's hard to separate them. After the top couple guys and the college pitchers, I feel like maybe that's the weakest part, Like there's death there, but there's there's almost a major question mark. You know, once you get past Jackson, Flora, you know, whoever you're talking about, there's a major question mark. But I think it's probably I don't know. It feels like close to an average draft. And you know, nice thing for the White Sox is, you know, I think there's there's two, maybe three players who separate themselves from everybody else, and because they're picking one, they can get one of those guys and take whichever one they want.
Speaker 1: So since opening day Milwaukee, we've been seeing White Sox fans with Rock Jelawski White Sox jerseys and they have so they've been sold that this is what's going to be the number one VIC in July.
Speaker 4: We'll get to that in a moment podcast listeners.
Speaker 1: But as you can also read on Sox Machine, I updated my top one fifty this class and I made my case and why I have Grady Emerson number one over Rock Cholowski.
Speaker 5: Jim, I'm with you. I'm with you, Joe, you.
Speaker 1: Are with because I was gonna ask who is your number one prospect in this class?
Speaker 5: Yes, I would take Great Emerson for one. Now again, it's funny because like when you make a decision and the White Socks are in the same boat. But where you have guy whoever number on your last or I I said something you can only put like it's very close, but you can only pick one guy. You can't be like, well, it's fifty two percent like And I just think if you're comparing those two guys, there's a couple of things that stand out. One, if you look at the players at the same stage of their careers, which is fair comparison, Rock Cholowski could have gotten first round money out of high school if you wanted to sign, But nobody was talking about Rock Chlowski being the number one overall pick in the draft like they were Grady Emerson. And I think if you compare those guys at the same stage of their careers, I think Grey Emerson is a better hitter with maybe a little bit more impact. He's definitely quicker the probably comparable defenders. I think if you I don't know what the percentagould be, if you had thirty teams and you said who has the most upside in this draft, I think Grady Emerson would win that poll of of you know, especially if you're comparing had to head to Rock. Now that's not knock on Rock. I do think Rock has obviously three years of track record UCLA. He's probably a little bit better as a sophomore than as a junior, but he still had a good junior season. I think the floors higher because you see him hit against better competition. You've seen him like he's a really good defender. He's not. People don't rave about him like they did about Billy Carlson O the best high school shortstop I've ever seen. But like Rock rockmy bible to step in the big leagues and play close to plus defense from day one, like like you have no doubt, Like you have to project rate orson a little bit because you haven't seen him against bigger, stronger guys, hitting the ball harder and running faster. But like I think Rock is an easy sixty defender, like you, like you don't have to to worry about that. So I think it's neck and neck. I know I would air on the side of upside, and I always say it's easy. You know, same thing for you, Josh. And we do these lists, we aren't giving ten million dollars to whoever we put number one on the list, right, We're not going to lose our jobs if we say take player A over player D and player A is not good, like we aren't. Matt Ishbie isn't gonna come in and say, wait a minute, what was this down the road? So it's a little different, But I would give Grady Emerson a sled edge over Rock Scholowski.
Speaker 1: Okay, because there's White Sox fans that will push back a little bit and say, well, what happened in March? Because in March you're telling me after that tournaments against the SEC teams that you can go ahead and buyer Rockshawsky White Sox jerseys because he passed the toughest test that UCLA is going to have during the regular season and he was crushing it early. So what changed between March and now coming into July and why Chilawski is not the number one overall prospect?
Speaker 6: And for me at the end, close, yeah good, I'm with you, Like the more did you see Grady Emerson and you look at the data, but also Jim and you guys come to an amazing job covering just prospects throughout all of Major League Baseball.
Speaker 4: It's the trend.
Speaker 1: A lot of your top ten are really young players, guys who are twenty years or younger, and Rock Schlowski, Rock's older than Kayleb Bonnemer, who's currently the White sox number one prospect in the farm system. Rock Shlawski's facing ninety ninety one when facing Washington, KYLEB. Bonnemer is in Double A, and Caleb Bonnomer has already accumulated more played appearances against the Vans pitching than Rock Schalowski. And we've seen what Kevin mcconagal has been doing for Detroit and what Connor Griffin has been doing for Pittsburgh. I just feel like, also influencing my decision put Emerson number one is more of the trend of Major League Baseball siding with youth, then I guess, quote unquote older prospects, even though Rockchlawski is just twenty one. Does that make sense as far as influencing some of the thinking.
Speaker 5: A little bit. I mean, I'm not so much worried about that because if Grady if I mean, I'm sorry, if Rochowsky won the sign, he would have been drafted Polly right around where Kevin McGonagall went, and he might be in the big leagues right now, and like, that's just a path I've taken for me. I think it's you start to talk at the beginning of that that Grady Emerson just the more you watch him, the more you like. I think it's more Grady Emerson moving up a little bit than Rock Scholowski's slumping now, I will say, And I am an SEC snob, and I went to Georgia and I wear my love for George in the SEC on my sleeve. The Big Ten's not very good, like like, on one hand, it's probably the fourth or fifth best conference in college baseball. But I remember there was this somebody tweeted out about Rock Scholowski's numbers on Friday night one very good, and I was like, it's more random because there's no first round picks pitching on Friday night in the Big Tent. Like maybe Mason Edwards at USC that's it. Like I think the second unless I'm forgetting somebody, you know, Isaac Moorean got hurt. So maybe Carson Yassa might be the next best Big Ten starter. And he's like, I don't know, fourth round pick, I don't think he's a big league starter. It's a really good arm. So I think maybe Rock no, it's not prospect fatigue. But I also think Rock came into the years. Okay, he's the biggest lock or strongest favorite to be number one coming into the year since Ali Rushman in twenty nineteen. Ali Rushman twenty nineteen went out and had unbelievable year. He was the best player in the country, and Rock, like, I don't know if it's fair, but measuring Rock against twenty twenty five Rock, Rock wasn't quite as good and he had a good year, but he didn't dominate, and he didn't tear up Big Ten competition, and down the stretch that whole lineup just seemed like they didn't hit the final month of the season, and they went from being number one from preseason through the regular season to I think they won all three their Big Ten They won the Big Ten tournament. I think all three games were walk offs right their last inning wins like they weren't like formidable, and then they got upset by a number four seed I think twice same team, number four seed in the regional. So I just think it's like in that part, I don't know that it's really fair to Rock because I think the tools are still the tools but I think if Rock tyears were flipped and he was very good last year and Great this year might be a little different. But but I think in all more comes down to if your tool and the players out. I think Grey Emerson a little bit better. And like I said, the thing I keep getting hung up on is at the same stage of their careers, because I mean, greyt Emerson's going to Texas and that's to see. But let's say Great Emerson didn't sign, he went to UCLA. I think he would destroy big ten pitching that he'd probably have. He'd probably put up the same numbers that Rock Chelowsky put up for three years. So I just think, you know, trying to compare them the same stages and the tools. I like Grady Emerson. I like the bat a little bit more. He's definitely quicker. I think they'll be comparable defenders in the long run. Ill And again I always err on the side of upside and I would do that, and I think with the White Sox I kind of like and things will change, Like there'll be a lot of discussions obviously in the next twelve days. What I keep hearing is I think, and it's not a vote it's not a democracy in Chicago. But I think if you if the Scout, like the Scouting decision makers voted, I think Grady Emerson would win that vote. But they don't like this guy, like especially number on overall pick. They don't just say, hey, Mike, surely do what you want. We'll be good with it, and like and not. And Mike's very capable. But you know you're gonna have Chris Gatz and you know, guys who are higher up the food chain, you know, assisted GM special assistance weighing in. I don't know to watch St. Jerry rein store for when I don't want to extend Ishbo, you know, like I don't know how much power Ishba has right now. I would assume some like at some point he's gonna he's putting money into the team and like, like it was funny because you talked about how much has changed come into your two like like even the Star season. I think the narrative was okay, Like the higher ups want a guy who like help quicker. You know this team needs a lot of help. Say you want a guy who can get to the big leagues quicker. Well, again, I mean, I'm not saying this team, you know, we're not buying playoff tickets yet this team is like right there in first place in the Al Central, so they don't need immediate help. So and even the whole immediate health thing, like that's a terrible way, Like I don't think. I don't think I'd rather have the best return round than the quickest return on my investment. So like I've never bought, like you, immediate help is a great way draft, Like like maybe if you know and they don't have a shortz the whole, maybe you know, if they were in first place and they had the world's worst shortstop playing for them, and know like like not the Rocks and go straight to the big leagues. But like maybe if you had somebody who was the most advanced player of all time was right in your lineup and fill position to need, or you had Paul Skins was out there and you're like, you know what, We'll take Paul Skins and put them in the rotation, like which he would have been a good pick on tap, Like I could see that, but I think you're better off taken whoever you think the better player is. But it like I keep hearing the narrative that they want and they want a more advanced player with a little bit of a higher floor. So I I feel like it's kind of I don't know. It's either I keep I keep like, is it fifty percent Rock, forty percent Emerson, ten percent von Lackey or it might be forty five forty five to ten. I mean it's close, and like we I don't know that we'll really know much in advance.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's I was on recent White Sox Weekly with Jeff Miller and I made that same point Jim, like, I have forty five forty five for Chilowski and Emerson and ten percent Lackey, and Lackey is just he's very talented, but right now, at this stage of the conversation, I think he is a distant third.
Speaker 4: Uh. And if the number one pig were tomorrow, I think.
Speaker 1: I'd still bet that it would be Chilowski because from it Chris Getz's point of view, who told a lot of people in spring training February that his advice from other teams that had number one pick is don't overthink it.
Speaker 5: Yep.
Speaker 1: For the two have did that second half of the Big Ten season for Rock Chailowski.
Speaker 4: Was it that bad that it changed Chris Gatz's mind? I don't know.
Speaker 5: I don't think I wasn't that yeah, But it's it's it's like I said, it's it's funny because you just don't know. And it's funny like I even going into White Laster's draft, we didn't know who Nationals were gonna take number one, and it seemed like the three guys were Ethan holl all day and didn't somebody who's nostalking be than Holiday, Kate Anderson and Eli Willitts. And I kept hearing like I don't know that was they don't want to deal with the Boris guy because Scott Worriz represented Ethan Hollider at Kate Anderson as much as they thought they could get a better financial value for the talent if they went with the non borist guy. But I remember, like I thought, Eli willarts Is. Maybe I don't remember what I said on the broadcast for the draft, like fifteen percent it went number one. But it's like like even those of us who do this, like I spend way too many hours trying to figure out who's going number one and so on, you just we just aren't going to know like it's the days of the teams would know like a week in advance and would tell you that those days are gone. And it it doesn't make sense unless like like let's say it's Rocksblowski, we'll just U say it or whoever you want to put in there, unless they know we want to be Rock, Hey, Rock, we're going to give you X, and Rock says, hey, X would be great, and they worked that out three days in the advance. But it usually doesn't work that way. And the interesting thing is is this year Rockslaski and Great emersoner represented by the same agency, which is the team formerly Washerman. So it's not like anything they're saying to one player the other player won't know about. And I do wonder not take anything away from von Lacky. I do think he's a distant third. I do wonder if the Von Lackey kind of being in the mix is almost like, hey, we could go in this other direction with a guy who's not represented by you guys, like I do think there's like I think they have sincere interest in von Lackey. He's a very good player. But also that's the way you have to play the game, like like at one point it seemed like the three guys were Chilowski, Emerson and Jacob Lombard, who's an our short stop who's also represented by the team, And like, I don't think a big league club ever once like when they narrow the field down they have all the players represented by the same agency, because then you really have no leverage over any of them where they're like, oh, like what are they offering this guy? Or where they offer that guy? Like the team is gonna know Rock Schlowski and Gray Emerson and their advisors are going to know exactly what the other guy's being offered by the White Sox, so it'll be interesting.
Speaker 1: And one of those representatives of the team is Jeff Samars's brother, Scott uh So Me, Sam, I'm sorry, yeah, Sam Samarja yeah, Sam.
Speaker 4: Sam may know.
Speaker 1: More on how the top five is going to go down than any of us or any of the FLb teams with the current negotiations. So if what does your gut say if the draft were five minutes from now, who would the White Sox take number one?
Speaker 4: Overall?
Speaker 5: I still think it's Rock Schilowski, me too, But I feel like you said if you were betting, and I, of course I'm not allowed to bet on anything related to Major League Baseball or even I think partake of prediction markets. But uh man, I would not. I would not bet on it because I just don't know. It's like a coin flip. I mean, if you, if you, if you want to bet and flip the coin. But I feel like it's you know, I feel like it's kind of forty five, forty five ten, fifty forty ten, like if you if you take von LACKEYU the mix, like I go, maybe fifty one rock forty nine Emerson, Like I just don't. I just don't know, And like I it's funny. I'll say this now and you can remind me this later on Friday night. I'll be sitting in Philadelphia trying to figure out who's going number one, and you'd be shaking my head, being like, well, we're just not gonna know.
Speaker 4: So yeah, that's how that's how I feel.
Speaker 1: We'll find out five minutes before.
Speaker 5: Honestly, we don't even find out five minutes before anymore. Like a lot of times we find out, like when we're on MLB Network, they don't tell us the picks in advance, because they want us to react naturally. You know, the only time they'll tell us is if, like when we're doing four rounds no MLB network the first day, well not non MLB network, we're doing four rounds the first day, you'll be on various rounds will be on NBC Sports Peacock MLB network, and then weilbe dot com like you're gonna have to switch around anyway. They will let us know if, like years ago when the Cubs took Hayden Simpson, they'll be like, do have anything on Hayden and Simpson? Like if they don't prepared for him? Whether than that, they just have us react naturally. So my get. I mean, the White Sox will submit the pick like a minute or two before the commissioner announces it, but they won't even tell us then unless I mean, there's no way the number one picking be anybody we would not be prepared for, but they would they we won't know. So I I'll be sitting there before the draft like we have I think a thirty minute pre draft show, and I'll be texting the whole time, like trying to find out, Hey, who's going on one? But I don't know that I'm gonna find out well.
Speaker 1: James Vegan will be there representing Sox Machine covering the MLB Draft and all the All Star festivities in Philadelphia. So Soxx Machine listeners, you'll get a chance to read some on site coverage as well when the White Sox do make that number one pick, and Jim Marglus and I will be live streaming as well with our live reactions to the White Sox number one pick on Saturday, July eleventh. I think what my next update on Sox Machine listeners is. I have a feeling this could be the most contentious draft for White Sox fans because my gut also tells me Jim that Von Lackey might be the preferred choice for Tampa Bay at pick number two, which means that whoever the White Sox don't take between Grady Emerson and Rock Scholowski could very well go.
Speaker 4: To the Minnesota Twins at pick number three.
Speaker 1: So this debate between Chilawski and Emerson will never end, and then we'll have on the field results and data and constantly compare these two players, somewhat like White Sox fans still do with Hagen Smith and Jack Thagnione, but on a whole nother level because the White Sox at the number one pick and did they make the right choice?
Speaker 4: So is my gut right?
Speaker 1: Is there a chance that either Chilawski or Emerson could fall to the Twins number three?
Speaker 5: I think there is, Like there's some I also struggle, like who did the race take? Would the Rays take Lacky? And it's funny to it'll be like, oh, like they regret taking Buster, not taking Buster Posey, but the number one pick? Like really or really eighteen years later we're gonna let like a decision that's a.
Speaker 4: Whole different front office too.
Speaker 5: Yeah, Like but like you hear that narrative. But I've talked to teams taken behind the Rays, one in particular, they feel strongly that they're gonna take Lackey and that team. I asked the guy, like, how convicted are He's like, fairly convicted, and like because the teams will talk to each other so or they see each other and they can read the tea leaves too, So yeah, I think again. I mean, I had fun in the last solo mock draft I did a couple of weeks ago when I was in Omaha. I did percentages of and at that point I had fifty. I had fifty Emerson, ten percent Lackey. And then at Tampa Bay I wished out and I went thirty five percent Lackey and thirty two and a half percent for Chilowski. And ever since so I did various things. So I do feel like there's a decent chance. Like it's again, I think it's fifty. If this isn't fun and we're not. I mean, there's more than a guesswork that goes into this, but the end of the day, we're kind of guessing because we don't know. I feel like it's fifty to fifty whether the Grays would take von Lackey versus one of the short stops, and yeah, leave a guy for the Twins. Like the thing is too like I know about it seems like it was I don't know, four six weeks ago. You have this narrative Rokchlowski doesn't want to play in Chicago, and I don't know where that came from. And you know the Giants, you know they traded Patrick Bailey and they got extra money. The Whites Sock still have more money in the White Sox than the Giants. Who are picking forth. But the Giants will do anything for Rockchalowski and they're gonna throw all this money at him. And you know what are the White Socks gonna do? And I keep one thing I keep trying to tell White Sox fans, the White Sox are gonna take the guy they think is the best player. If they don't take Rockcholowski one. It's not because Rock Cholowski doesn't want to be in Chicago. It's not because Bust Posey spook the White Sox. Like the White Socks are gonna take the most point thing. To remember what the White Sox is. They are going to take the player they want to tick like they're going to offer this guy. The example I kpusing is you know the record for Bonus is nine point three. I think the slot value for the number one pick is eleven and a half. Nobody's getting eleven and a half. Like, maybe you'll give the number one pick nine a half or two. Well, we'll just say ten million dollars to keep it around number If you offer Rock Cholowski ten million dollars and he has no desire to play in Chicago, and Buster Posey's telling him we'll give you fifteen million, which would be too high. But let's just say we'll give you fifteen million, which is like ninety percent of our pool. But White White Sox can still take Rock Chilowski and be like Rock, you got two choices. You can take ten million dollars, or you can go be a senior sign out of the sail next, or you could go to any ball whatever. Like, whoever they take is not going to turn down whatever the White Sox offer. The only thing that guy can do is that they want to be difficult. They say, Okay, White Sox, I don't like this offer. I will accept it because I'm not going back to school, but I'll wait till five seconds before the deadline to accept it to tie up your extra money. Like that's basically all they can do. You want the guy to agree to a number that gives you enough time to spend the savings. But ultimately, the most important thing for White Sox fans for remember is like despite when narratives come out, they will take the guy they think is the best player.
Speaker 1: And then when it comes to pick forty one. Throughout this draft season, I've gotten chance to see Landon told me three times you could read those reports, and Socksmachine dot com took some video of seeing him homeward in two of those three games, and now I have a feeling he is not going to be on the board at pick forty one. What's the latest that you're hearing with Landon Tomy Jim.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean so once in this draft, once you get past like there's kind of six guys who are head of everybody else and are gonna go in the top six or seven picks, and after that you just get these wide ranges on guys like guys who could go seventh to Orioles or maybe they go seventeen, and then when you get down to alec Lnntomi, I think is kind of in the not I'm not saying specifically the Red Sex pick twenty, so I'm not saying specifically, it's more gently twenty to. I'll say twenty to forty one, because I really don't think he get past the White Sux at forty one, and it's just like I I had him going twenty two. Jonathan and I are last mock draft. We did a combo effort at the combine because we're running around and we don't have the time we all like Jonathan has it this week, and Jonathan will spend hours contacting people and we're runn around the combine. We don't do that. So we did kind of a joint combine with alternative takes, and I gave Tomey to the Detroit Tigers, another Ale Central foe at number twenty two. Now, that said, the Tigers are as close mouthed as any team, and that was me going with type. Hey, they like left handed high school bas so I gave him Lannon Toma. I don't have like great insight like, oh, they're definitely taking them to he's air. But I do think I don't think there's even a littlest of interest from Potters at twenty one. There may be interesting even a little bit above that. I I just think he's such a good hitter. He's gonna have a least average power. He's gotten He's not a shortstop, but he's gotten better defensively to where I bet whoever drafts him plays him at shortstop at the beginning of his pro career, and I think coming into the year before the season, the question was act can you stand the dirt or is even more of a left field for his base type, and now I think you feel pretty good, like, you know what, this guy could play second or third, So like he's like that's not gonna be the bulk of his value, but he's gonna have more positional value than you thought. And everybody loves the makeup. I don't think he's getting to forty one. I don't think it's impossible because you know, also the thing is number two. You're gonna have some deals cut where the guy you know, like guys are gonna get taken who are ranked in the thirties and they're gonna get taken eighteenth, and it's gonna push guys down. And so maybe the Tigers really do like Landon Tollman and they really want him, but they look up, Hey there's a guy twenty two. We didn't think it was gonna be there, and so I fall down. So I think I feel like he could he could get into the thirties. I don't think he can get to forty one. And there there were rumors that the White Sox are looking to trade for some of these you know, competitive balance pick. There are rumors that the Pirates would be willing to trade their pick, although they're kind of contending to so I don't think they're going to just trade it for prospect. I don't know, but yeah, if I had to guess, I don't think Colony's getting the forty one.
Speaker 1: I am with you, And of course, naturally, the next question is who could go number forty one for the White Sox, And I'm not sure there's not an easy or a clear backup plank. So to me, it makes sense with the bonus rul that they have that you would go prep and go overslot at pick forty one.
Speaker 4: But we could see quite a bit of a run of.
Speaker 1: The talent a high schoolers going the late first round into the Comppix. Jim, So, I'm not exactly sure it could be left over for the White Sox at pick forty one.
Speaker 5: I mean I've heard names like Archer Horn. Yeah he's a cow Florida high school and field. But again, you like, at one point I predicted Archie Horne to go twenty two. It's just hard to know who's gonna be there. I you know, I think like one name I've heard they liked some is Jared Avancola at Georgia Tech, who's like kind of a study in extremes. Hit the second best batting average in Division One this year is like four thirties. He hit four to seventy seven. I think in acc play, but it's extreme contact. He hits for super high average but there are not exi velocities and he chases but like he is a plus runner. He can play second base. It's like it's like nothing's like if you're doing baseball Savont, it feels like everything would be bright red or bright blue, like like there'd be no there'd be nothing in the middle, Like everything would be kind of extreme. But again you just don't know who's gonna be there, like like there's gonna be some high school pitchers who fall. You know, I wonder like like a guy who I always feel like should begin a little bit more love and it just doesn't like to Daniel Jackson, Yeah, he'd be interesting. Like I haven't looked. I mean the joke we all make is just look at the I haven't looked at the Area Code game roster from last year.
Speaker 4: Oh I have you have?
Speaker 5: I don't have it in front of me, but like, like like their mo o has been to take an aera Code guy with that second pick and give him like two million, nine ninetyeven undred dollars.
Speaker 1: Yeah, candidates off a yeah, Bo Peterson who dropped, can't take him. Ethan Bass who I've seen a couple of times this year, a little little rich yeah.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 1: Savve On Simms, the righty from High you can't take together, Tomic Center Rally, who was a draft combine high.
Speaker 5: But that's it feels a little high, a little high thing, a guy who might be might be a first baseman but has big power.
Speaker 1: And then Sean Dunlap the catcher from Crown Point. I think that's too high as well.
Speaker 5: The one I threw out early in the year because before they start taking the air cod game guys, which they they don't answer I taking the second round, they also were like, let's take the SEC guy coming off elbow surgery. So here's my conspiracy theory. Carson Wiggins of Arkansas, former White Sox Area Code guy also coming back from maternal brake surgery. So you could hit both demographics. That's like, like, I think like the last five White Sox second round picks, or at least the last four have either been the Airy Code or SEC guy coming off elbow surgery. This way you hit both demographics, so I'll make my Carson and he has a great arm combine, but yeah, I don't. I don't know, and like like we'll we will. We've been stopping at forty because the White Sox, I mean, the Dodgers' first pick is at forty, so we've been going forty deep. But like when you're getting that deep, you're just throwing darts like like like and I don't know, Like if we were to project and I'm not hopefully my editors aren't listening to I'm not suggesting, so we're gonna be like, oh, let's protect the whole second round, which would be insane, like like if I had the time, it would be like I would text people to the White Sox and be like, hey, i'm projecting this player here. Is there are youn you just tell me there's at least a chance, like all like at that point, you're just hoping. My goal when we do these mocks and we project the like when I'm projecting the Sandwich picks is just tell me the guy's viable, because we don't know who's going to be there. I just don't want to put Hey, the pirates are taking Josh Nelson at thirty four, and then how the pirates say, we don't like that we're not taking like like like so like that's kind of a threshold when you start getting in the thirties, is that there's a chance the team would take that guy if you were on the board. So I haven't really heard much at forty one. I just we all make everybody I talk to all make the same jokes about like like I would say Land to tell me he goes twenty to forty, but I always amend that to twenty to forty one. I think he would about ninety nine percent be the pick if he was there at forty one. Like, like, y'all tell you who I would vote for if I were the White Sox. I like this guy. He didn't have the greatest spring, it was fine. I like Carson Bowman, the high school uh lefty from South Carolina who coming in the year I thought was the best pitcher in the draft. And white Soxs are gonna have money that too. If I were a White Sox fan, like, get me Grady Emerson rock Chilawski with that number one pick, and then flip Bulman down and Bowman also represented by the team blowed him down to forty one, that would but I don't. I just think there's too many teams that will take again. You can't. You could say he like last time out, bust proposy, like I'll just throw out a crate like whit said, We'll give Carson Bowlman six million dollars like with which they wouldn't give him that much. But they could say that. But find the Royals picking at thirty or wherever I'm picking, and I like high school lefties. I just be like, that's great, Carson, but we're't taking you and we're gonna give you three and a half or four. Do you want to go to college or do you want to sign? So? But yeah, it's it's it was so easy, Josh. In the off season, we knew Rock was going one. We didn't tell me what was going forty one. And now we're we're just not sure.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And I went to Texas to Sea Rock. I went to Omaha to Sea Rock.
Speaker 4: He traveled to I did I Did you get a chance to talk to him?
Speaker 1: I did not, because that was at the time that Rusty Greer was protecting him, and I understand that Russy is just very upfront, like this is this high school still very new to Grady. There's there's a lot going on. We're early in the season, so I totally understood. But you know, Rusty would talk my ear off.
Speaker 5: Yeah, he's a great kid. I mean, like, if Grady Emerson is the White Sox number one pick, I know, like you guys do such a great job. So like you, I'm sure you'll have him on the podcast before the end of July at the latest. You will enjoy talking to him. He's tremendous.
Speaker 4: Yes, I really do enjoy that interview that you guys had.
Speaker 1: You can listen to the questions that Grady Emerson did answer on the MLB Pipeline podcast.
Speaker 4: Highly recommend it.
Speaker 1: It's It's always in my play list, especially when I'm hopping on the pelllet. So thank you to Jim and Johnathon Mayo to try to keep me in shape.
Speaker 4: I will say before we we end this podcast.
Speaker 1: Dominic Centarelli and Jack Slidam, I'm looking at third and fourth round for the White Sox as far as the area go.
Speaker 4: Guys a little bit more.
Speaker 1: Confident pick seventy seven, one five than pick forty one.
Speaker 5: But I like this guys. I was gonna say, Santarelli is a slugger. He has some of the best high school power in this draft, Like he's a bigger guy. It's it's the old he's more athletic than he looks, but he still might be a first basement I think the biggest question with him, and I admit I do not know sign ability as the guys yet it's too early, like like seventy seven is about around where he should go. I just don't know, Like like the White Sex Web money, I don't know what the White Sex would offer him, Like it may be tough to get him away from LSU, like like that may not just be. It's not just we take the guy's seventy seven he's gonna sign and then slight them. Slight them may go higher, like you never you know in high school pitchers. But I do think slighth is kind of pushed himself into sounds like seven figure range, and so you may like again like if you took Jack Slaton in the fourth round, you aren't given him fourth round money. But I don't know. And again I I don't know these numbers all. I don't know if Jack Sladon is he gonna cost a million? Is he gonna cost a million? Half? Is he gonna cost two million? But like again the White Socks with their bonus pool, And here's a fun part. So let's say you give and again, I don't know if it's gonna be nine half or ten million, but I think that's gonna be the range of the number one overall pick, and that'll be a record. So they're gonna save like a million and a half right there. Then, because they're bonus pools almost eighteen million dollars, they can go five percent over and they've done that, that's like another nine hundred thousand dollars. So they're gonna have after the first pick probably one point nine to two point four million dollars extra on top of their already big bonus pool and play with. So they probably can go big in rounds two, three, and four. Like obviously the number one pick matters the most and reagonize over it, but it's probably Rock versus Ember. Someone comes down to it, you're gonna get a very good shortstop and they're very similar profiles. Grady's just a little bit quicker, but so like that's almost a given. You know, you're getting a potential superstar shortstop with on one pick. It's what they do with the with the picks two, three, and four that I think is going to be really interesting because you could you could take that extra we'll just round off and called two million dollars and throw it all at picks forty one, or you could spread it out, like you could do so many different things with that money that like there's gonna be a lot of one of our many dogs is barked in the background, Like you could do so many things. So I'm looking at pick forty one is worth two and a half million dollars, So if you all the money into that, you could go go four and a half million on that. But if let's say you give a guy three, which is what they've normally done, okay, well we still have one and a half million to play, so the seventy seven is worth one point one millions. I could go to two. I could go two million and still have money left over for the fourth round. So it'll be very interesting, Like I'm sure that's going to be very fun or maybe harroling, depending on your point of view if you're with the White Sox. But there's so many different ways you can play that, but also trying to project, like, okay, like our fourth round pick, like we could probably go they could probably go like one point two five, one point five on the fourth round pick, pretty easy, Like who can we push to pick four to the fourth round? That's where like like, so trying to figure out, Okay, how do we want to divide up the money between these top four picks, and then how easy is it going to be to get guys to move down. It's fascinating, Like there's so many different ways they can play it.
Speaker 1: It will be a very fun weekend coming up again. The first round will be on Saturday, July eleventh. The Chicago White Sox we having a watch party at the stadium before their game against Sacramento Athletics. Of course, that's also the same day as the Alumni home run Derby.
Speaker 4: Many ways to be able to watch.
Speaker 5: The doing a watch party, I like that.
Speaker 1: Yes, at the stadium, So they're going to open the gates at eleven thirty and the draft will start at twelve thirty. First Bitch will be at one o'clock, so the Athletics will be warming up on the field and the White Sox will be.
Speaker 5: Maybe cheers or booze, depending on what what That's true.
Speaker 4: That is very true. Again, you can follow Jim Ahead.
Speaker 5: I had a question for you. I always have to ask you. Do you think, even if they listen to this podcast, the White Sox fans are going to be disappointed if the team takes Grady Emerson based on all the hype of the Rock Twowski's guns.
Speaker 4: Yes, I do.
Speaker 5: I do too. I kind of feel too, And it's like, I don't know, I feel like, hopefully Grady Emerson's really really good, and like I think, I think there's gonna be some slight disappointment. And I also think there's gonna be this narrative that the White Sox were forced off a rock and again I don't think that's the case. I think if they take Grety Emerson, it's because they want a Grety Emerson.
Speaker 1: Yes, I agree, there's there's a there's a lot of excitement for Rockschulawski just because of the name. It's yeah, it's it's great marketing, it's great hype. A lot of outside Polish fans are ready to replace their aj Prasinski jerseys with Rock Schelowski jerseys.
Speaker 5: You can wear both. You don't have to. You don't have to put aj in the deposit.
Speaker 4: Come on, you can.
Speaker 1: But again, you can follow Jim on Twitter. He's at Jim Kallis MLB. Again, listen to the MLB Pipeline podcast. He and Jonathan Mayo have been interviewing many the top prospects. If you want to get a chance to know these top prospects, strongly recommend listening to those episodes, especially their episodes from the LB Draft combine, and of course they'll be covering the MLB Draft every day all the way up to Draft Day and be able to watch the first round on NBC.
Speaker 4: Jim, as always, thank you so much for coming on the podcast to preview the MLB Draft.
Speaker 1: I hope you have a blast covering it, and we'll chat shortly after the draft to see how the White Sox do.
Speaker 5: Yeah. No, I always enjoyed talking to Josh. Always ask you questions. I'm sure, sure we'll talk, we'll talk afterwards, but yeah, that's time. I'm looking forward to see who winds up going number one. H