Speaker 1: You are listening to the Dan Patrick Show on Fox Sports Radio.
Speaker 2: Good on it to you, Dan Patrick Show, Fox Sports Radio. iHeartRadio. App Welcome in things that I didn't know I needed before this weekend. Port chop on a stick and just I mean pork chop but a stick. I'm in saw that earlier this weekend. Hope you're getting ready for a great day on the lake, at the beach, at the house, cooking out, whatever it is. The last day of summer is here and we got you all morning long with Dan Byram, Doug Gottlieb of course, Jason Stewart our esteem producer, and we daily do the Doug Gottlieb Show on Fox Sports Radio, which is three to five Eastern twelve two Pacific. We also have an hour podcast only for him, just hype in Doug Gottlieberhere you get podcasts. You can listen to the show whenever, wherever you want. Normally you can watch sports wherever you want. Now we can watch them on our phone. We're not as bad to like. I remember when the Kings were in the Stanley Cup Finals in nineteen ninety three. Guys, I remember being at Lake Havasu and everybody came off the Lake because that was the only way to watch the Stanley Cup Finals. Now, like if you're on the Lake, if you have good sell coverage, like you can watch wherever on your phone, except if you're a DirecTV customer right now you can't watch ESPN. DTV has what eleven point three million subscribers, and right now there's no Disney owned channels on DirecTV. So they missed the SCLSU game. And then of course you have the NFL game, the Monday night stuff coming up this week.
Speaker 3: Yeah, there's no Good Morning America for anyone watching on ABC on DirectTV. None of that not a zilch. And it was the timing of it that was was really the dirty pool portion of it, because I feel we've had this conversation over the last year or two's at Fair Jason and talking about streaming with the playoff game with the you know, there was the Black Friday game that was that was on Peacock, but over the last couple of years in the NFL, the I have to I have to get this streaming app to watch football? What is going on? And the thing that I didn't mind about that compared to what happened yesterday, Doug was we knew that these games were gonna be on Amazon or they were gonna be on Peacock. We had known that we had prepared for it. I don't think any direct TV customer was prepared for what happened yesterday. And it may not be a big deal in certain parts of the country. But imagine you're saying, Hey, I live in Baton Rouge. We're having twenty people over LSU's home opener three day weekend. We're gonna have a good time. We're gonna put the game up on the eighty five inch you know TV. We're gonna celebrate this in fifteen minutes before kickoff. After it was on all day long, the plug was pulled and you could not watch the usc LSU.
Speaker 2: Game DirecTV around now again, So this is a we don't none of us know the details right like again like we don't know the details of it. I would tell you that that's their like their strongest leverage is it's the old. It comes from our childhood. Do you remember money for nothing? Money for nothing dire straits right, it's the old. I want mine MDV because I used to tell you in ads, call your cable provider, tell them I want my MTV right, And so the thinking here is that you get people to call and go like, hey, where's my ESPN, where's my ABC? Like, that's not an US problem, that's a Disney problem. The problem is that you can't. There's if you're a if you're a direct TV subscriber, right, if you're a Direct TV subscriber, first of all, the change is so easy now, like I really think that there is. It's got to be hard to have leverage if you're a Direct TV because if you're watching it home last night and that thing happens, and then you're like, oh, there's no wait what fine, I'll just subscribe to YouTube TV. If I have internet my house, I flip it over and bang, I don't have to call my cable company. I'm done.
Speaker 3: I'm out, exactly.
Speaker 2: I mean, I mean most people had Direct TV left Direct TV when they lost a Sunday ticket. I know. I was one of them. When I found out I could get Red Zone and Sunday ticket elsewhere deuces them out and love I was a DirecTV customer for I don't know. My dad first got it when I left for college, because that was when you first could ditch the Gigantic. My first year playing, he had the Gigantic satellite. And then we're like, dude, you don't need that. Now you can get this little tiny direct TV thing and get every game. So but it is crazy that they pulled the plug fifteen minutes before. Really strong argument for either side because everyone the consumer is going to be pissed.
Speaker 3: Sure with everything that you laid out there, as you said, you know what this happened to us At our studio. I was doing the Sunday show that I do with Carrie Rhodes and we were sitting here and even our producer Ian said, what TV do you want the usc LSU game on? So when it comes up, we'll have it on our screen in the studio. So we told them the screen and then as we're doing our show, the graphic pops up that's still on all DirecTV channels that you know are from Disney with the little QR code on it, And we were caught off guard. Here and here we are. And now the good thing for us is we are prepared. We have smart TVs, but for certain spots we had to go and get an ESPN Plus account on the spot. So to me, that did the exact opposite of what DirecTV wanted you to do, and did exactly what ESPN wanted you to do, was to go to their app and purchase, whether it's a yearly subscription or a monthly subscription, if you were able to, so you could watch the game that was going to kick off in fifteen minutes. And I just don't I don't understand on DirecTV's thinking with that, because to me, it was just absolutely counterproductive to their point you did, ESPN came out the big winner because I'm sure they racked up subscriptions from southern California and Louisiana last night to watch that game.
Speaker 2: Sure, there's no no question at all, Like it's once you have the streaming element of it, like you just, yeah, the cable provider gets kind of screwed in this thing. But that's that's sadly the way this thing is gone.
Speaker 3: Here's the other question, why would you go back, not only technology wise, but have to, Like that's the hardest part about it. Like, as someone you talked about how long you've had direct TV, I have, I am I am like you or I felt like I've had this umbilical cord connected to MTV in cable since I was about five years old. Yes, it is difficult for me to trans position to cutting the cord and streaming and the whole deal. But if I'm getting screwed by my provider and done in such a blatant way, even though I'm used to forty years or whatever, it is of that, just that that bad will gesture, if you will, would make me say, all right, well, I'll just try to get used to the new stuff. Because they really really tried to screw me.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no, listen, I was, you know, everybody around me, I know, was like, you know, just cut the cord, cut the cord. And what pushed me to it was last year with Sunday Ticket going to going to YouTube TV, you know. And then in all honesty, like my first year with it, I didn't love it because I didn't think my internet was great, so I had some buffering issues whatever. And then now you move into a home, that's the first thing you do. It's like, hey, man, I need this, I need this internet to be top notch, top notch. Now again for direct TV, like one of the things they've always had is, you know, their own eighteen it's the same company, right, so you can they're still gonna get you. It's still gonna win if you have your AT and t Wi Fi. But it is amazing how much we are kind of tethered to the past. And it's it's not any I think that's a great that's a great word. By the way, congrats to you. I'm going to take that one and use it. But it's in many ways, you know, we're tethered to the past with college football, you know, with the NFL, with when things are played and when things are changed, and sometimes they come up with idea like, hey, that is better, you know what. I kind of like this, this is easy. And you know YouTube has the four box, which we haven't had. You know, you have the with the sports grid thing. But outside of that, like we didn't have picture. We haven't had picture and picture for years, right since we went to these plasmas or whatever, we went away from the picture and picture. So there's lots of different things within this, within the kind of new world order, if you will, which are pretty awesome. And yeah, last night was a night where it had to be a disaster for DirecTV because if you sit down to watch a game, and there's just another easy way to do it. And you're like, then once you get it, you get YouTube TV, Like, why do I need to go back? That ends up diminishing your business greatly.
Speaker 3: Jason Stewart's a YouTube TV subscriber.
Speaker 1: I got it in twenty eighteen as people were starting to cut the cord. So I very much am a proponent for YouTube TV and streaming. So when I saw this story last night, I'm like, oh, okay, well, then that is an easy fix. Just go to YouTube TV and never have satellite again. That was kind of my callous thought of this. I'm guessing ESPN and Disney know this too, because how many people went to Hulu and how many people went to the ESPN plus that you did, Dan. And by the way, if the sports fans don't get direct TV to give in in this negotiation Bachelor Nation, if I'm missing my Bachelor finale this week, you better believe there's going to be a price to pay.
Speaker 3: It's a really good point because I thought that football fans would be so irate that they would make this emotional decision because the game wasn't aired. Where if you cut it off right after the game, I think that football fans could maneuver their life, like missing the news that night isn't that big of a deal. They'll just watch the different affiliate from that town. They can get their information that way. But when you seemingly actively try to ruin someone's night or vacation or their last rite of summer, I think that leaves an awful taste in your mouth. And I again Dougie said, we don't know the exact timing of it, but to me, it is not a coincidence that it was fifteen minutes before this big college football game that was the only show in town last night.
Speaker 2: I'll give you the I'll give you the opposite of it. How it used to work, right. People have said this forever about remember ESPNU. I was on the first ever broadcast of ESPNU, and they used to strategically put some of the bigger games on ESPNU so that you'd call your cable people and go, why don't I have ESPNU? They're like, well you got to have this other package, Like okay, well I want it right. That's what happened with with FS one, you know, And honestly that's what happened with Peacock, you know. What Peacock was trying to do for the last couple of years. Notre Dame Football put a couple on there, and now you have to have your Peacock. Peacock was really struggling ntil they got the Olympics and then they got Big ten football, and now they're going to have NBA basketball, et cetera, et cetera. So, but previously it would make you want to download the streaming service or get go to that cable provider. Whoever, now it's like I can, I can get it elsewhere. The cablerovider becomes the one that is that feels like they're sol if you will.
Speaker 3: I think that there are probably a lot of people who have direct TV and ESPN Plus, right. I think that that's probably fair. But what Direct TV did last night alienated that good will. Again. I would I've got streaming Peacock. I'm like, you know what, I signed up for the DOUG as you said, for Big ten stuff, and I've just always kept it and just been like, we have direct TV at home. But I'm like, you know, and I'm also just keep it. It doesn't hurt. It's nice to have there. If there's you know, a Premier League match or college football or whatever. And as you said during the Olympics, it was fine. It didn't hurt me. And I bet you that a lot of people would have just said, oh, ESPN Plus, this is okay, I'll just sign up and I'll keep my direct TV. But when you are, when you are scorn, and you are you are directly affected by what happened last night, just leaves a bad taste in your mouth. I would not go back, That's yeah, I would. I would not be happy.
Speaker 2: He's Dan Byro, I'm Doug Gottlieb. It is the Dan Patrick Show. Fox Sports. Ready during the home emergencies, every second counts. That's why you need simply save home security with Simply Save twenty four seven monitoring agents act within five seconds of receiving your alarm. Visit Simply save Dan dot com and save twenty percent today. There's no safe like simply safe.
Speaker 3: All right.
Speaker 2: Coming up next, I'm going to interview two people who recently finished the Aaron Rodgers book by Ian O'Connor. You don't want to miss it. It's next.
Speaker 4: Thanks for listening to The Dan Patrick Show podcast. Be sure to catch us live every weekday morning nine to noon Eastern or six to nine Pacific on Fox Sports Radio. Find your local station for the Dan Patrick Show at Foxsports Radio dot com, or stream us live every day on the iHeartRadio app by searching FSR, or stream us live on the Peacock app.
Speaker 3: He's Mike Carmen, I'm Dan Bayern. We have a fantasy football podcast called I Want Your Flexed.
Speaker 1: That's right, Dan.
Speaker 5: Every week we're gonna scour the waiver wire to find the pickups to turbo boost your fantasy lineup, sit starts, fantasy football players rankings to get you ready to dominate the competition.
Speaker 3: I Want Your flex with Mike Carmon and met Dan Byer on the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts and wherever you get your podcasts.
Speaker 2: And for Dan and Dannettes Stan Patrick Show, Fox Sports Radio. There's a there's a new book out there called Out of the Darkness. It's written by Ian O'Connor. Out of the Darkness The Mystery of Aaron Rodgers. So and I thought we'd have a a special book review for this correct. Yeah, special book review. Dan, Dan Byer, Jay Stu, Jason Stewart are an awesome one two combination of book reviewers. That is that that? That's this is? Is there a proper order for this?
Speaker 3: Well, I'll tell you what you get both ends of the spectrum here. Because Jason is an avid book reader. For how long have you been doing audiobooks?
Speaker 1: I got upwards of twenty years my book listening habits. There's always a book on my phone. So if I'm going on a walk hike in my car, I'm listening to a book. A lot of people spend that time doing podcasts or listening to music. I'm typically listening to a book and I've been doing it for like twenty years, so I've gone through like twenty five books a year. And then I added the technology, this whispersing technology with Amazon where I could read the digital book and then it picks up where I left off after I'm reading in my car, or once you push the on audible dot com. So I've mastered the art of listening to books. And then recently I heard Dan Byer said, you know what, I purchased the Aaron Rodgers book. I'm going to listen to it, and I'm like, Dan, that is in my queue. How about we do this. Let's listen to the book together. And then when we're done, we'll make content on it on radio. And Doug, who is you know? Doug is one of the best interviewers in our business. He had Ian O'Connor. That's the sound of somebody thumbing through a book, so it's very relevant.
Speaker 3: Yes, Yes, the.
Speaker 1: Interview with Ian O'Connor, by the way, you could find it on our iHeartRadio app. It's a great interview. Doug did a great job with the end, and I figured, since you did the author, why don't you do two readers.
Speaker 2: Okay, let's welcome in two readers for our listeners. One is Jason Stewart from Brea, California. The other one is Dan Byer from where do you want to be called? You're from Meryl, Wisconsin, Meryl, Wisconsin. From Meryl, Wisconsin. Let's start with you, Dan, But.
Speaker 1: Hold on, se I have a cute way of rhyming this segment. And I didn't have time to send it to Bob and Vito for this, but allow me to do this. It's time for the Dan and j Stu audio book review.
Speaker 2: I see the review with Jay stem hear the sales. Hi, I'm your host. Doug Gottlieb for the Dan and Jay stew audio book review.
Speaker 3: Let's start with you, Dan.
Speaker 2: Your biggest takeaway from said book?
Speaker 3: My biggest takeaway, the part that I was most excited to see or to listen to and to get to was what happened with the fallout of his family? How did this come about? And I was shocked to find out that it just came with something that happened during his relationship with Olivia Munn. And to think that this is continued now there there's previous evidence of Rogers doing this to other people. But to to continue this freeze out or as they called it in the book, the island stemming from something that his girlfriend at the time but then ended up being ex girlfriend kind of seemed to fuel was shocking to me. I thought there was something that was much deeper rooted, that there was something that had been going on for years, that his family had wronged him or he had felt wrong by his family, and the book did not convey that. It seemed like it was maybe a conversation over the holidays. I believe, Jason, if you can back me up, that something just went wrong and from then on it was persona non grata with Aaron Rodgers and his parents and other family members. I was shocked to hear that it was something that was just not this huge, huge deal.
Speaker 1: And Aaron, by the way, is quoted in the book. He does an interview with Ian O'Connor as Doug went over with Ian. He gave Ian, I think like forty minutes. So he kind of addresses some of these things. And one of the things he does is he addresses this. He denies that Olivia Mond was the reason. He claims that it is more deep seated. It goes back further. There are other factors, but he doesn't like to talk about it, so we never really know that the reason. And to Dan's point, let me tell you what is Yeah, what's the reason?
Speaker 2: It is more deep seated. But I think the Olivia mun thing is more the I don't know if you want to say tipping point or is the micro to the macro. I just they were exceptionally exceptionally not just conservative in their religious views, but also like sort of judgmental. And I'll give you something that Aaron told me a long time ago, which was we were, as you guys know, we were friendly for a while and he's he told me to watch the movie Gleason. Have you guys watched the movie Gleason? No negative, one of the hardest docs you're ever going to watch. I mean, just you're watching a man an NFL player and it's just faculties dissipate at the movie. Anyway, at one point in time, they take him to like a almost like a faith healing church, you know where you know they're gonna rid you of the demons. You're gonna walk down the aisle, you know, to the to the pastor and they're gonna they're gonna, you're gonna be rid of this dreaded disease. Right, And sadly, he does everything that they asked.
Speaker 4: Him to do.
Speaker 2: He says he believes and obviously there's no change to als to his condition. And Aaron told me, like that's how my family has thought, which is like they they're that religious concern, religiously conservative, and they're not welcoming to other thoughts. And that was the part. And then I think the fact that his brother went on national TV and kind of out of their family business was really probably that that's the straw that broke the camel's back.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's addressed, and to kind of button up Dan's point. I too thought that this was my biggest takeaway from the book is that by the end of the book, you get the feeling because he completely severed ties with his immediate family. So he's got two brothers and he has parents that he hasn't spoken to, and it's sad. It's interesting and it's sad. But I got the feeling, and Dan, maybe you did too. Here by the end of the book, you got the feeling that, you know, Connor who got the parents on the record for this book many times. You almost got the sense that the parents wanted to be quoted in this book to try to establish a relationship with their son again because they literally haven't been able to communicate with them. It's so sad. But that was so fascinating to me. Did you get that takeaway as well?
Speaker 3: Yeah, And heck Ian O'Connor gave them a ride to the game that they played against the Bills. The Jets did that Monday night affair, like that's how it ended up working out, where they rode together to the game. But there was also a story that they started out the book with because you know, it really covered rogers whole life, but It started out with Roger's dad showing up to the Tahoe golf event, the celebrity golf event, and kind of just surprising Aaron Rodgers. And there didn't seem to be an animosity in that exchange. There was a hug, there wasn't I love you. There seemed to be maybe some mending going on, but yeah, it just to me that was I mean, for something that was so big to be able to be mended like that, or to have that be the first step, was just yeah, pretty pretty shocking. I feel for the parents.
Speaker 1: I want them to mend ways because you just your heart goes out to them. Whatever quirks Aaron has, and he's very stubborn and in his own ways, but to just not have a relationship with your son, you just feel for it. And I think, you know, Connor does a great job of describing that pain and then the hurt.
Speaker 2: Okay, So I guess here's a question. Did it change Dan? You've always had kind of a negative perception of Aaron? Yeah, did it change that opinion?
Speaker 3: I think that I have more of an understanding of his background. This there's a whole chapter called The Island, and that's where his parents are. That's where he's kind of exiled other people in his life, which I thought was interesting to see how he's maneuvered stuff and tried to be the smartest guy in the room. Never appealed to me. But to hear his route through high school to what he did, you know, at Butte, at the junior college, and the success that he had, Like, the talent is undeniable, but it wasn't as easy of a road as other greats would so I had more of an appreciation in that regard. It's one thing to be like, Okay, a guy played at junior college then went on to play at Call and was a star. But when you get the details of what he went through and the recruiting process and other players, that added more substance to me about Aaron Rodgers and his bringing in who he was, which was impressive. I mean, the route that he took to get to where he was was very impressive.
Speaker 1: What about you two, I'm a fan. I'm a fan of both him as a player and about like his eccentric nature off the air, I mean off the field. I listened to the podcast that he does. I like that he's an independent thinker, that he often goes against the grain. He says stuff that you're not supposed to say. And each of those incidents where he's gotten into trouble publicly are laid out in detail in the book, and it's very interesting. I think my appreciation for the guy increased. I learned a lot of things I didn't quite know about him. There was an episode and the name of the Green Bay talk show host is at Wildy, Jason Wilde, Jason Wilde. I guess he did a Tuesday hit with him back in the day when they did phoners and stuff locally, so it was kind of like the Pat McAfee of today. Aaron would do his Tuesday radio hit and give his Tuesday radio hit host more details than the beat guys were getting and will he brought up this story and I never remembered this, that he had the talk show host ramp him up for this what about the gay rumors? And Aaron went into detail and said, I'm not gay. I like women a lot. And the reason why he wanted to address that wasn't to deny that he was gay, like a Mike Piazza thing where he held up press conferences that I'm not gay. He wanted to make it clear because it was being used as a negative thing about gay people. He's like, I had a lot of gay friends, and I didn't want it to be used as a derogatory term towards me. I don't remember that happening, So that was interesting. Just kind of one thing that I learned in this book that made me kind of appreciate the guy a little bit more.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, I mean that that had been a rumor. I do remember that being addressed, and you know, it's it's sad. That's kind of like, that's our fallback for so many guys, right is we don't know them or understand them, so we must be gay. Any of they are like why is there a negative taboo towards that? But whatever? Okay. Would you tell a friend would you recommend the book?
Speaker 3: Yes? I would. I would. I think it gives you a clearer picture. The other thing that popped into my mind about the book is Doug You've had you know, Andrew Brandt, who is a weekly guest on your show on Fox Sports Radio, was you know, a contributor to this book. Was someone that Ian O'Connor spoke with. There are former players that he spoke with, And I just wondered, in speaking in this book, will Aaron Rodgers exile those people or will he will? It depend on what they say, Like I wonder if Aaron Rodgers will read the book or listen to the book. Probably not.
Speaker 1: Well, remember he told Boomer and Boomer's co host was it Geo? When he did that hit a couple of weeks ago, right when the book came out, he said, I probably won't read it. And I asked Doug on the air, I'm like, if someone spent two hundred and fifty interviews to do a three hundred page book about you, wouldn't you read it? So I have a feeling he is going to read it, and you're right. I think he's probably going to hold the grudges or I think he'll put people on the island who say things that he's not comfortable with or give away a little bit too much.
Speaker 2: Well, it's it's it's it's interesting because the truth of it. This is where the hypocrisy comes in. Right. He is a free thinker. He wants to be allowed to think freely. If somebody thinks something of him or of his opinions, that he is like they're on to the island. They go if they share it there to that and they go right, So it's like, wait, what is it? So I think therein lies the rub right, is the idea of free thinking to two parts to it. One when you think things which are categorically false and yet you're just in denier of very obvious, provable scientific facts, you know. And then the second part too, it is when somebody has an opinion that differs from yours, well you can't cut them on the cut them on the island, because only your thoughts are ones that are allowed to be shared, if that makes sense.
Speaker 3: Yeah, his his his weapon is do your research, you know, but it's always on his playing field, you know, in terms of that aspect. And so a lot of people go into these conversations with him, you know, with a you know, with a pizza cutter. You know, that's their weapon, Like it's not going to do anything, and he has all the ammunition. And I think he likes that. I think he likes that. You know, Deshaun Kaiser was talking about and that Kaiser story had popped up on a a podcast, so that's where where it, you know, came from. But you know that stuff that that Rogers does like he's he's got the upper hand in that conversation. So it's not a it's not a back and forth by any means. It's a one way conversation. The immunizing stuff that he said. I think if if you would have said what he said in the book or told the you know O'Connor was that he was allergic to certain things in the in the vaccines, it's not an issue. It's the fact that he tried to fool everyone and then called out the media for not following up on his word usage, which is something that Rogers said he regretted doing so. He did say that in the book, which I thought was was interesting because I do think that that would have lessened a lot of the a lot of the inks towards Aaron Rodgers.
Speaker 1: Will say he claimed to regret saying and that was the big headline when the book came out. That was the headline on all the sports books. Uh, Rogers regrets the immune ammunisation. If you if you hear or read what he said, he doesn't regret that he said immunization. He said he regrets that he did it because that's quote the only thing they have to use against me. In other words, he doesn't really regret misleading people. He just regrets that there's something that people always have to use against him. And I think that's an interesting way that that that's that's an interesting look at the way he.
Speaker 2: Thinks it's a victim mentality.
Speaker 1: There was, there was tangential things and real real fast. I found this fascinating. Like I remembered this obviously, but it made it made you go back and think about the time and place. So everyone remembers him being left in the draft room. Everyone remembers that. But what you don't remember, are there the tangential factors of this that John Gruden with a six pick, I want to say, told him that he was going to draft him, and he didn't and he took Cadillac Williams instead. Think about if John Gruden drafts Aaron Rodgers and he becomes Aaron Rodgers. Do we ever see John Gruden on ESPN? How about this? Nick Saban had the second overall pick and he chose ron Brown, Ronnie Brown. He had Gus Feraud as his QB one and he chose Ronnie Brown. If Nick Saban drafts Aaron Rodgers, Does Alabama ever happen?
Speaker 2: No, No, nope, that's that's sports. That his life is true.
Speaker 3: That is the one if in a lot of drafts though, right, I know those are big figures, so I'm not trying to downplay it, but that is this team would have done that then have But yeah, to your point, how Aaron rodgers fortunes could have changed a lot.
Speaker 2: Of people and and we don't know that would have been that good if he goes to one of those teams and plays right away, because he didn't play right away. Right.
Speaker 3: I also got the back and forth with Farv that I I felt like it was aimed to put Farv in a bad light, and I don't think it put him in a great light as a teammate. But there also were parts where where Rogers is maybe a little guilty of something here or there, and I thought maybe we would get this full like, you know, Rogers did nothing wrong sort of thing. But there was what a hello Grandpa or sort of line that Rogers I think denied or at the time that that was mentioned. But yeah, I mean, honestly, it wouldn't surprise me if Aaron Rodgers shot back with something or did something if Brett Farr was treating him like that.
Speaker 2: No question, no question. The Dan and j Snow audio book review, Part one has come to an end. The book is Out of the Darkness The Mystery of Aaron Rodgers by Ian O'Connor. Thank you man, Doug Gottlieb and Dan Buyer in for Dan Danet's Dan Patrick's Show. Do WNBA players appreciate Kayln Clark yet? We'll discuss next.
Speaker 4: Thanks for listening to The Dan Patrick Show podcast. Be sure to catch us live every weekday morning nine until noon eastern six to nine Pacific on Fox Sports Radio, and you can find us on the iHeartRadio app at FSR or stream us live on the Peacock app.
Speaker 2: Damn Patrick Show rolls on here on Fox Sports Radio I Heart Radio App. I'm Doug Gottlieb dan By alongside, so too is Jay stew So have you seen that meme of uh it's it's like I retweeted it where it's uh uh it's like easy money And there's a w NBA player and they keep stepping on the rakes and get by and and the rake jumps up and you know, bops them in the face. So they can't get to the easy money. Have you seen that one at all?
Speaker 3: Demo, No, I haven't.
Speaker 2: It's probably the greatest represented representation of the idiocy that that we're seeing here. I mean, they're just just beyond dumb people. But we have another one, another dumb dumb who uh saw? To Sabali is that it Sato Sabali. Sato Sabali is a Dallas Wings player. She had this to say after Kaitlyn Clark and the Fever beat them in their arena.
Speaker 6: Obviously, it's annoying because there were way too many calem fans and I but like it just kudos because it's amazing to see so many people in women's basketball jerseys. It's amazing to see the excitement and the joy that comes out of that. So although I feel like our Dallas fans could have done better, I had mixed feelings obviously seeing all the Kaitlin jerseys in our home, but it's it's an amazing sign for women's basketball and it's just great how how far we've come, and it's just fun.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's good.
Speaker 2: No listen, I mean she obviously it's tongue planet for amillion cheek. But the one that thing is like I hope they understand there are no Dallas Wings fans When I say no, there's somebody out there right, But where it's it's like all these we see this in college football at the time, like Rambler Nation, there's no nation. Dude, stop stop. All you had to say was that was amazing. I cannot believe how many WNBA jerseys they were in the stands the Kaitlyn thing. This is awesome. But then you like the you know, our fans kind of let us down, like what do you mean what fans?
Speaker 6: Now?
Speaker 3: I actually thought our comments were magnificent, Like this is this is how it should have been from the beginning, like this is someone who gets it, who understands it, and and and I just felt I don't know if it's now because here we are on September second, and the playoffs are going to start in a couple of weeks for the WNBA. Where because Kaitlyn Clark is playing better, we're all past the you know what happened, or because she completely overshadowed Angel Reese in their game on Friday. I have no I don't know why things have taken a turn, but they have taken a turn now and this is the conversation. That's the things that should have been said from the get go. I mean, she was gonna play forty one home games this year, like truly, Like that's probably what gonna factor out to except maybe not in Seattle or maybe not in Vegas. But I mean essentially every game could be a home game for the Fever because of the crowd advantage. But as an opposing player, that's how you handle the situation.
Speaker 2: Yes, And just so, just so people were aware they had the second lowest average attendance for the year heading into that game.
Speaker 1: I think most people knew, though I'm joking. Yeah, isn't it funny how a SoundBite changes things? And remember last week that Lebron James when he talked about what BRONI should call him and he made that goat comment, Like you read it and it reads one way, and then you hear it and it's very joking and it totally takes the edge off. If you read what Satu Sabuli said, it totally comes off as her being bitter, and then you actually listened to it and it was tongue in cheek and she gives her a lot of credit.
Speaker 3: So yeah, This is where emojis could help in text, Like if you did the laughing emoji, like you would understand if you were just reading the quote or an old school lol.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yes, yeah she said Lol.
Speaker 3: Did she laugh out loud?
Speaker 2: Know, everybody around her laughed out loud? That is it is really like the the number of players though that have come out, and then like we do this dumb thing with with the Angel Reese, like Angel Reese could be the rookie of the year, Like, no, she's not. What are we doing, Like there doesn't have to be This is not like a political thing where you have to be we have to be equal representation. Don't get me wrong. The Angel Reees rebound thing and as a coach, the way she plays like that has a tremendous amount of value, tremendous like Caitain Clark's playing like one of the five best players in the league. The team has their first winning season in like what eight years, They're playing really really well. It's not even a conversation. It's dumb.
Speaker 3: The conversation seemed to shift now because the comments that Nancy Lieberman made. Not only was Nancy Lieberman replacing Cheryl Swoops, who is a Hall of Fame basketball player, but also seemingly the number one Kitlyn Clark hater on the broadcast. But then Nancy Lieberman said she should be receiving some MVP votes. Kaitlyn Clark should during the performance where she had twenty eight and twelve yesterday in that win, and then all of the Asia Wilson stands came out and said, hold on, she's not getting any votes. She's not getting any MVP votes. This is Asia Wilson's award. Done deal. So it's it's it's you know, there's there's two there's two separate things going on, but the same thing when it comes to Caitlyn Clark versus Angel Reese, and then it's Kaitlyn Clark versus Hazel Wilson.
Speaker 2: If we did actual value, then it's Caitlyn Clark. And it's not close, right, If you do actual tangible financial win loss, number of people in the stands, all the value, it's not close. Everybody knows it. Now. Is Asia Wilson the best player in the league?
Speaker 3: Yeah? Yeah?
Speaker 2: And is there team better?
Speaker 5: Sure?
Speaker 6: Now?
Speaker 2: Their team hasn't actually been good all year. And by the way, the only reason, literally the only reason we are having this conversation on September second, twenty twenty four, is because of Caitlin Clark, which is what is what's about to do? Was she was she was discussing like we there's there's no Wings Nation. Nobody in Las Vegas cares, right they they don't. Is it something that people will go do?
Speaker 5: Sure?
Speaker 2: Whatever, Yeah, I'll go. But I mean, you know, in the pantheon of things going on in Vegas, like it's just another team to have whatever. It's cool, it's fun that the area they play in, school, the facility they've built, the school or whatever. But the only reason we're discussing this is Caylen Clark. She's the most valuable player anyway you want to calculate valuable value. Is she the best? No, it's okay, And I'm okay, I mean I think and by the way, the best player doesn't always win it in the NBA. But how you calculate value is your own perception. There's no but I mean what she's doing to the for the fever is very similar. There's a Larry bird esque quality there. Right, People forget that what the Celtics win twenty nine games the year before you got there then sixty his first year. Right, this was the worst team in the WNBA, and they're going to be in the playoffs and they're looks like they're probably above five hundred, which is unbelievable considering where they all started, herself included.
Speaker 3: So I feel it's taking a turn though now right, like we're past all this stuff from two months ago.
Speaker 2: Yes, but it's just it feels like it's a little too late. My hate. Football's here, nobody cares anymore?
Speaker 3: Maybe yeah, football is here, but I still think people care.
Speaker 2: I think people do care. I'll be interested after Thursday night. After Thursday night, I don't think anybody cares about anything else on earth, especially with the Friday game. It's just football all the way through. I don't know. We'll keep this discussion going. Coming up next, Okay, something we do on the Doug Gottlieb Show on Mondays. We thought we'd do on The Dan Patrick Show on Monday, which is love and Hate. What do we love from the weekend? What do we hate from the weekend? You can share us share with us your thoughts at Godleb Show, Twitter, at Gotlieb Show Instagram as well. The good, the bad, the ugly, The love the Hate of the weekend. Next on The Dan Patrick Show here on Fox Sports Radio.