Speaker 1: Hey, they're folks.
Speaker 2: It is Friday, June fifth, and Love Island, Season eight, episode three is in the books.
Speaker 1: And I got a tongue with that.
Speaker 2: Welcome to this episode of Amy and TJ. This is my theme now is the kissing and the tongue. It's not kissing.
Speaker 1: It is flat out tongue Olympics.
Speaker 3: It's weird. And then they all got wet in the pool at the end and they're making out in the pool. It's like it that part of it feels incredibly performative. And look, it feels like we're watching soft porn. That is the truth in many moments, that is how it feels. I actually put my hand up last night several times when I saw what was about to start happening, because I really I don't want to watch two strangers who met forty eight hours ago with their tongues in each other's mouths and hearing that and it just continues. And the good news is we're not alone.
Speaker 1: We're not.
Speaker 2: Now you have to playing this to me a little more. Hello to you all. We'll set you up and again. Ropes we've watched every episode so far are set up. Last night, we're recording this the day after. So a lot of people are discussing this today, but are set up last night kind of unexpected. We thought we were going to go to bed, but Sabine humb hole. She wants to watch it, wants to hang out, wants us to stay up. So we make dinner, We sit down nine o'clock. So it's you, me, and a thirteen year old girl.
Speaker 3: It got a little ward show. It got a lot awkward because you know what, we've all watched the past seasons before, and yes, there's some sexual innuendo and there this there's no innuendo. It is just full face uh things that I actually feel slightly uncomfortable listening to and watching in front of anybody, truly.
Speaker 2: And we try not to and maybe we are. I was being dismissive after the first episode, was like, Ah, we're older now, we're just prude. This is what the kids like, this is what the viewer's like, This is what a younger audience like likes. But Ropes, you have been looking into this a little more and it doesn't seem like we're alone in these observations.
Speaker 3: Oh no, it's everywhere and in fact, and at least my twenty year old came into the kitchen and she was showing us TikTok after TikTok at everyone going, oh, ew stop it. Why is this so porny? Like everyone is icked out and cringe cringe, like it's just it seems so bizarre. And we were having a conversation about this because you're like, well, isn't this what like women like or young women like? And the answer is no, because I think if you think about oh yeah, what we love, morom comes or even fine a romantic novel, there's a build up, there is an anticipation. We like to wait for it, wait for it. Ah, there it is. And I wouldn't mind necessarily watching someone kiss as much if at least I'm invested in their relationship to the point where I feel like it got to a point where you're like, finally they kissed, not let's just throw tongues the second. We don't even shake hands, we don't even hug, we don't even say hello in for the kiss.
Speaker 2: Is this can I throw this with that was a possibility? Is this more a take? Does this look like more so modern day dating in that nothing serious, we meet, we're hot for each other. We'll test this out and we'll do the physical thing first the rest of it. Who kind of gives a day?
Speaker 1: I don't not.
Speaker 3: Well, that's not what I'm hearing from my daughter.
Speaker 2: I mean, I'm trying to leave some room because these folks have a very successful show. Meaning I think these people know what they're doing producers and if they're making a change, are they just trying something. It's just a new scenario. Did this happen and it's out of their hands and they'd even expect this to happen. I don't know, but it seems very intentional in this scenarios their career.
Speaker 3: It seems very producer directed. Like they are being told to kiss. They are being because this has never happened before, not like this. People are even saying, miss the days where you might get a random kiss during a game or some sort of a like, yes, you would see some kissing here and there. This is a whole new level. Maybe they're looking for the shock value. Maybe they were testing the waters the waters and get look, we are talking about it, and even though we're iked out and going ew and I'm putting my hand up, I'm talking about it. We're discussing it. Maybe they won and that's what they wanted. And I actually do believe they're reading all of these I mean, you can go wherever it's YouTube, social media, and people are all saying the same thing. I do think. I mean, this is all happening in real time, so they may make adjustments and maybe they'll back off the kissing a little.
Speaker 2: One other scenario I thought of as you were talking, Babe, do you think, and it's so early, only three episodes in, is this a really strong cast? Is there any reason they would think they don't have the dynamics in the cast to carry the show.
Speaker 3: Oh, they're already building cast members. They have a they have villains, they have crazy people, they have emotional people, they have the sweet, steady people. No, they have brilliantly cast this group and it's getting good. The drama has already begun. Like think about it. We're only episode three in and there is already drama. I already love people, I already dislike people, and I'm already rooting for people.
Speaker 2: And then not actually the people Maybe we thought we were going to like and dislike and root for when the show first started.
Speaker 1: We'll get into that.
Speaker 2: So let me let's start with this just this past episode, a couple of impressions you had, Robes from the jump.
Speaker 1: We have it playing in the background here.
Speaker 2: We watched it last night, of course, but we were recording this day after and just have it going again, Robes, and we don't going to go too deep into it, but just your immediate impression.
Speaker 3: Episode three, well, there was a lot of emotions flying, and this time it was Melanie who had her meltdown. Last episode two, Kensey had her breakdown. Melanie had her breakdown today. It's pretty soon and a lot of the reaction I had that you had, that I'm seeing everywhere else is ladies. Ladies, it's been forty eight hours. You're acting as if your heart's been broken by a man you've loved and trusted for years, not days. I'd even months maybe, but even make more sense. But we're talking about hours and these women are absolutely breaking down. So that's been very crazy to me. But then it also just shows perhaps they understand that the world is watching and their egos look are on the line. This is humiliating to be rejected privately in any way, shape or form, but now to have it being done publicly, and I would guess that most of these folks, as attractive as they are, aren't used to being rejected.
Speaker 1: That was gonna be my last thing.
Speaker 2: It was about, Yeah, everything you talk about and say, yeah, as hot as you are, getting rejected in front of millions of people on night two might not feel so good.
Speaker 1: So yeah, that might factor in.
Speaker 2: We'll get into as well, Robesy, as you were watching and people were talking about, hey, ladies, it's only been two nights while you're breaking down crying, we were very much engaged in that same conversation on the couch last night, and you and Sabine had to set me straight on some things, which was hilarious.
Speaker 1: So we will get into that.
Speaker 2: Another impression from last night, Robe of the new game pushing the somebody in the pool, how'd you think that I liked it.
Speaker 3: Better than the kissing?
Speaker 2: You make a good point, you know what I thought we were going to discuss that more. You make a good point. That's it. What I did not like Robes is was overly sexualized in every question. It was disgusting even some of it. Yeah, given somebody as while your mom is driving the car.
Speaker 3: We had to hear that, and then I'm thinking to myself, your mom is watching, your mom's friends are watching that. It's amazing to me that these young folks, because there a lot of them are my oldest daughters A twenty three, twenty four. My daughter knows good and hell well, but I would I wouldn't murder her even for what had happened. Maybe I would be so upset that she just told the world that, not even for my sake, but for her sake, Like, what does that say about you? And no matter where you go in life, no matter how old you are, no matter what job you have, people are gonna remember that, and that is what they're going to equate to you. I just think some of these kids aren't thinking about how these things stick and they don't go away, And I just am kind of appalled and sad for them. Because they don't have their phones, they can't even gauge reactions. All these kids are so used to probably doing anything online and immediately reading the tea leaves and seeing how people are reacting, whether it's just their social media followers. They're cut off from the world, so they might just feel really emboldened and are probably being told to be provocative by producers. Hey, just be your true, authentic self, hold nothing back. But they might not be realizing just what the reaction and how it comes off.
Speaker 1: But babe, that's what gets you on the show.
Speaker 2: What gets you opportunity, It gets you endorsements later, it gets you followers later, it gets you to be an influencer later, it gets you.
Speaker 1: All this stuff.
Speaker 3: Right, Let's not forget Kim Kardashian is who she is because of a sex tape, damn. And that's probably not lost on any of them, but.
Speaker 2: Robes, at this point, don't you have to remind people of that Kim Kardashian is. I am so impressed with this woman beyond I just am. But yes, she became famous known blew up if you will, because she was the best friend of a socialite and then she had a sex video that.
Speaker 1: Went but violent on the internet.
Speaker 3: Yep, and that's how she That's all it takes.
Speaker 1: Isn't that something?
Speaker 2: But yes, okay, So in this scenario, to your point, Robes, the other thing I want to ask you about, because we this was one of the most charming parts of this show over the years, the breakfast that the guy make for the gals, and it was an organic thing that has been cute.
Speaker 1: I don't know why.
Speaker 3: Force now it almost feels like they're they're trying really hard to be like, to look like good partners. I don't know. It doesn't feel like something that they want to do, a duty and almost a weird competition. Then there are all these expectations from the girls and Kenzie when bananas because.
Speaker 1: He arranged the bananas of the heart something he put.
Speaker 3: The eggs in the shape of a heart, Sean did. But I was like, girl, don't be so enthusiastic.
Speaker 2: Excited, right, Yeah, I thought it was too much. It was a lot trying to push back and the other thing we will get into. Let me start. Then this was the other thing I want to ask you about. Impressions. Most of the conversation last night, and I was sitting between you and the bean on the couch. You're all going back and forth about the bombshell Cata. Now we don't know this young lady. We're not making any judgment about this young lady and who she is, and so don't want to be critical, but you all recognize something that for a guy I don't immediately see. And you all were exchanging notes even at your age and she's in the seventh grade.
Speaker 3: You all recognize your oh, because no matter what, when you're a woman, you're always in the seventh grade, and so those dynamics stay with you for the rest of your life. And so yes, I hate to stereotype. And again I don't know her, but she was or is and appears to be that girl we all know who knows she's hot and likes to just hang out with the guys and be the cool, hot girl who doesn't necessarily vibe with other girls. And we all know that girl, and she is absolutely that girl. And so you get an immediate visceral reaction because we all have had that experience, whether you're in seventh grade likes to be in or you're a grown ass woman like me.
Speaker 1: All were killing me. And I didn't say.
Speaker 2: I guess after a little while, and there was a moment where she was Kaita was the girls we're talking. She was the only one overwhellled the guys playing volleyball or something.
Speaker 3: She's the cool, sporty, hot thing in her barely there bikini with a perfect body and a perfect face. The girl is stunning. So I guess the point is, you don't you don't even have to do that other stuff. But notice she was fishing for compliments the entire the last two episodes. If you pay attention, she's constantly fishing for compliments, and I actually want to give her like I want to actually say, you know what, that's tough because she is so gorgeous. That is her value in her head, and she's constantly needing to be affirmed.
Speaker 1: Was twenty three and from? Is she she? New Hampshire? Yes?
Speaker 3: How did you forget? That was my favorite line of the whole night. I don't know why Kada feels it's necessary when she tells people where she's from, the next thing she says is, I'm from New Hampshire. Do you know where that is? I'm sorry, maybe some people don't. Where is that coming from? Can you can you imagine me going to say, hey, I'm from Georgia. Do you know where that is? Well?
Speaker 2: It's different. It's the smallest day. People don't spend a lot of time up in this area the country. Maybe the people you're actually trying to defend that.
Speaker 3: That is the strangest, my weirdest response to anything. What do you mean do I know where New Hampshire is?
Speaker 2: You know she might have in her life and experience when she tells me on from New Hampshire, like, oh, I don't.
Speaker 1: Even know where.
Speaker 3: Let people ask, then I bet they won't because even like there are people like I'm from New Jersey. Yeah I know where New Hampshire is. Like what I just thought? She said it multiple times. That's part of the fun, the riveting conversations.
Speaker 2: Hey, yes, some of the compost last night. They're just getting to know each other. It will get better, right, What do you like.
Speaker 3: On your pizza?
Speaker 1: It was a pepperoni conversation. Your dog is code of mine? Is kaya?
Speaker 3: No way get out? Oh my god, that's almost the same. We're like, we're destined to be together. Oh the universe is speaking.
Speaker 2: Well, Okay, stop, it's a dating show. It's been three days. They're gonna get to know each other. It's gonna be fine. We have to pick up with what's her name eyes.
Speaker 1: Kensey from Ken from NNES.
Speaker 2: I can't forget that, Okay, Kensey saw is she was on last night?
Speaker 1: I have to ask no, no, should I wait and ask that later? She was?
Speaker 2: She's still robes upset. She's still upset that she was rejected. Initially, you and I got back and back and forth.
Speaker 1: We won't do that again. He was honest with her.
Speaker 3: That let's keep that conversation where it was.
Speaker 2: But what do you think of this idea? Keinsey refusing to talk to Zach Now, no, no, no, no. I don't think it's the worst thing in the world. I don't think it's the right thing. I think it's an immature thing and it's something that a hurt person will do. But how long does she keep that up? Because it seemed like something she needs is to reject him back, if you will, He's asked to talk to hers twice.
Speaker 3: It made her feel powerful because she felt powerless. But it's very transparent and it's not a good look for her. So I hope that she can recognize that, because I know in the moment it felt so good, but it looked so small, and she would have looked so much more confident and so much you know, and I get it it's hard to do. But when you actually do believe in yourself and you actually don't care what she keeps claiming both of those things, she would have spoken to him. Yeah, So what she says isn't what she does.
Speaker 2: I hate it's going that way for her. I just wish she Yeah, it'll happen again. It's three days. People get hurt.
Speaker 1: And I keep.
Speaker 2: Adding this to it when you and Sabine were telling me about some of these strong reactions maybe from some of the women I wanted to and I still do think, but what level do you assign? Like a lot of this is a pressure cooker of time, scrutiny, cameras, and frankly, desperation to stay on the show, like you're trying. I got a guy in front of me and oh crap, if I don't make this work, I might get kicked off the show. How much of that do you think is playing it?
Speaker 3: It's a huge part of it. And there's one hundred thousand dollars at stake, too, so let's not forget that there is a real money out there for these folks. But really, I think, yes, of course the money is on folks' minds, but mostly it's your repututation. It's how people view you. You're desperately fighting for your reputation. You're desperately fighting for you to be seen the way you want to be seen, for people to consider you or regard you if they want to be the hot one. Everyone wants to be wanted, so suddenly if you're the one on the show who seems to be the one who's rejected, that's humiliating. And yes, it's driving a lot of this emotion because how you view yourself, how you value yourself, is literally up for interpretation and people are voting and judging on what they think of you. That's an incredibly difficult position to be in at that young of an age, when it is, let's be honest, a lot about looks right now.
Speaker 1: Well, stay with us, folks. When we come back.
Speaker 2: We will explain what's so far I think has been the best learning moment, the most positive moment, encouraging moment, and heartwarming moment that I've seen so far on the show. Also, we'll try to explain to you our conversation and why Sabine and roboch we're getting onto me last night for not understanding why Melanie was crying, and we'll try to figure out what the hell sinceres Fish's story was about stare.
Speaker 3: Welcome back everyone to this episode of Amy and TJ. We are talking about episode three, Love Island USA, Season eight. It's a sizzler already, and it's got us watching and it's keeping all of us talking, and that means the show is doing something right now. You just told me remind me of everything I teased. I'm like, I don't know if I can, because you went through a lot of stuff. But I do think one of the really interesting conversations was the one we were having, Sabina and I were having with you because we were trying to explain to you why Melanie was so emotional, why she was crying, why she got so upset when she heard her guy Sincere maybe not seeming so much like he basically in this challenge admitted that he had texted other women while he was seeing one girl, and this all took place on the same day where he pulled aside the big hotty Kita, the bombshell who kind of looks like Melanie my.
Speaker 1: Skin, long hair, same builds, kind of a thing, okay.
Speaker 3: Correct, And so she felt like he was sneaky. So this is by pulling her aside, so she felt threatened.
Speaker 2: I didn't realize, you know what, you helped me with something there. I didn't realize she was already hot when that game started. That makes sense already.
Speaker 3: Hot because he had pulled aside the I mean someone could say, I don't want to the hotter version of her. So she feels threatened, like you see a girl who like, Wow, she looks like me, but I think she might even be prettier than me. So now you're already feeling insecure. And then in this game he admits that he kind of is a player. So now she is so upset, and clearly there's history there for her. Clearly this girl has been hurt by someone before.
Speaker 1: Was she crying before the game?
Speaker 2: The tears came before the game she had seen okay, and most folks listen to us now I've seen the show. But the guy she's linked up with, they call him pull a side where they call him pull you.
Speaker 1: Can I pull you to talk? This thing? They keeps saying, can I pull you for a second?
Speaker 2: Kind of So they go and he pulls Kaita the new girl, and just go had sits and has a conversation with her. He never mentions this to the woman he's in a couple with. Melanie didn't give her heads up about it, and he didn't tell her about it afterwards.
Speaker 3: Necessarily I heard it from someone else.
Speaker 2: I had to hear from somebody else. So now she's hot. So after this robe, she's in her confessionals and interviews, tears are coming. Well, she's talking to the other.
Speaker 1: Girl as well.
Speaker 3: Yeah, she's basically this always happens to me. People get sick of me and they move on.
Speaker 1: It was heartbreaking to hear it. I'll be honest, Robes.
Speaker 2: She went into a dark place of just one guy that she's known for forty eight hours speaking to another woman for ten minutes, and she started doubting her self worth going back through her dating history.
Speaker 3: You know what was so eye opening. I think a lot of people and a lot of women will look at this young lady Melanie and say, my god, this woman is stunning Dominican, light skinned, black woman, like absolutely picture perfect. How could she be so insecure? How could she have all of these feelings of self doubt and worthlessness? And it all came out with one guy who she met twenty four hours later, who told her he still likes her and wants to be in a relationship with her, but wanted to just do what you're there to do, which is to test the waters and see who the best fit is for you that that sent her into such a spiral. That is how fragile. A lot of women like I understand that we're all fragile, let's be honest, but I think it's shocking to maybe some folks who see someone like her and say, how could you be that fragile?
Speaker 1: And I kept going back and forth with you all about.
Speaker 2: I am shocked because it's happening with the guy she met twenty four hours ago.
Speaker 3: It still stings, especially if she had the feels and she thought, ooh, he likes me and all of a sudden to be basically fond over and then seemingly rejected. It's like that yo yo thing, and it's shocking to the system.
Speaker 1: I will say again, I was shocked over the twenty four hour part.
Speaker 3: Are a lot of fun.
Speaker 2: She's two months a month, she's been dating a guy for a little while, it's going somewhere, and he just shows an interest in someone. It was twenty four hours and we were on a show with a whole per What I.
Speaker 1: Was just forced to explore.
Speaker 3: What we were trying to say is like, look, but in that forty eight hours, I guess where she spent two nights with him, cuddling up with him, making out with him, linking arms with him, they were coupled up. There's everyone's acting like married couples. So even though I know it's only been forty eight hours, there was this. She had this, She had this version of it. She had this in her head what it was going to look like, and she was feeling.
Speaker 1: Something and in the committed relationship.
Speaker 3: She really did. That is how she acted. And even even Kenzie, we were shocked by twenty four hours and she was just like spiraling to the point where, yes, we discussed, she won't. She's refusing to speak to him. She's so angry with him. How are you mad at a guy who you weren't even in a committed relationship with? Like that is kind offusing? Who told you from the onset you don't look like anyone I've dated and didn't necessarily give you any vibes it said otherwise? But she was destroyed And then now it's interesting Melanie's crying, but maybe she has good reason to if she really did have feelings for Sincere, because he explained to all of us who were watching, how it's okay to have two different girls because they're both beautiful. You don't have to throw one out. Nope, you want to explain the fish analogy he made.
Speaker 2: It was difficult too. We watched it several times. We were trying to pull the sound bity that we could play for you all, and we didn't want to get sued by Peacock. So we're not there yet.
Speaker 1: He's sitting in his.
Speaker 2: Confessional after all this has gone on, and he said, it's like when you go fishing, catch one fish, you like that fish? Do you take that fish you put in the ice box? Do you keep fishing? Then you get another fish, you like that fish too? And now you got his words, two fishes. You don't have to throw one back. Now you got these two beautiful fish.
Speaker 1: That was what he said. I know I'm a kind of paraphrasing, but.
Speaker 3: That was close to really close, I think, almost verbatim actually, especially with the fishes, beautiful fishes. I wonder, because here's the other thing. None of these contestants can see or hear what the other ones are saying in these two camera confessionals. Right, so how's Melanie and honestly, how is katea gonna feel about that? When they see that one played back.
Speaker 1: It's two months away before they ever get to see this show.
Speaker 3: Baby, man, I gotta tell you, I hear a guy comparing me to a beautiful fish that he just caught. He's gonna keep me in a cooler cause why not come on show that far? I mean, you gotta think about these analogies and what they might actually feel to receive when they're being said about you. A little insight into how he regards women.
Speaker 2: Some might here is the other thing about him. It's been a part of the promotion they had with him. He's a trackster, ran track at Penn State Texas Tech. Was it in one of the school Florida gropes He talked about running, chasing, I like to chase, I like to catch.
Speaker 3: This is that sounds like? Yes, women are objects and sports and that Look, it's not if he keeps going down that track, the public opinion for him ain't going to be so high. You know who. I've seen the couple that people are rooting for the most on Casey Yep and Anaya. Everyone loves them together. People are saying I'm here for them, I'm here for them. People get their favorites, and look, that's really important. Because as we get further into the show, you as the viewer, get to vote for your favorite couple, and that ultimately determines who stays in the villa and who wins that money.
Speaker 1: I'm digging Casey, and.
Speaker 3: They were the ones who got thrown together, kind of like Nick and Landria from last season. Funny enough, they didn't even necessarily choose each other. They kind of got forced to be with one another based on circumstances. I mean, Casey is the dude who opened the door and nobody was standing there, and she went in and tried to team up and see who do you pick? And he got rejected, So the two of them kind of had to go together. And I love that. Now they're digging one another.
Speaker 2: The same with the other who I cannot believe is growing us Bryce, Bryce, the brother from southern California, the model and surfer boy looking to kato' Kaitlyn look alike to me, But he's growing on me because he's his authentic goofy self kind of. And I don't mind.
Speaker 3: She's not like this hot model who can't be bothered. He's actually silly.
Speaker 1: He is, and he's growing on me right now.
Speaker 2: With the moment Robes and I think we talked about it a little bit, but this was I appreciate it because it flew in the face of the other scenario that I did not like with Zach and Kinsey. He said, you're not my type er, I don't usually go for somebody like you, and she doesn't want to talk to him ever at all. I can't have a conversation. The opposite happened, and I appreciated both of these people, Robes Bea and Sean the police officer, and the perilym.
Speaker 1: Bea Trice Bea Trice.
Speaker 3: So she.
Speaker 2: Rejected him essentially at the doors first episode, correct so and went away. She hasn't been able to see him again until this episode, and even leading up to it, she was like, I really want to talk to him so I can explain to him why she was bothered that he might be upset and not understand why she didn't choose him.
Speaker 1: Robes.
Speaker 2: They end up getting together for a conversation. I'm like, Wow, this is what grown folks should do.
Speaker 3: Act And you know what, because yes, he was hurt and he admitted that it was painful because they both looked at that green and red dot differently. She looked at it as I'd like to keep my options open. He looked at it as closing the door on their relationship. So once they had a conversation, they may not have agreed to the exact same description of what they each chose, but at least there was respect. And he said, look, I understand you're an authentic person. You're a nice person, and I appreciate you and I both saw things differently. It was a rare moment, but it was a I mean, look, if everyone acted like that, the show would be boring. So as nice as it was to see, let's be honest, it's cool to see that there are some cooler heads that can prevail and perhaps they could be leaders within the group that others can look to and learn from. But you got to at least appreciate the fact that not everybody's in that elevated, mature space. And that's what makes for a good show.
Speaker 2: Again, we say it robes and we watched the shows every single episode. There's a relationship lesson in there that you can take with you. And this was a big one and a highlight and mature and where somebody was hurt and had every reason to be mad. He's reacting totally differently than Kinsey reacted to.
Speaker 1: Something like that.
Speaker 2: I just I thought that was a very nice moment, and it made me feel better about both of them, who weren't my favorites when we started on the first two episodes. I look at that and go out, I respect that, So I agree favor.
Speaker 3: And you can choose to take things personally, or you can recognize that, as is true in almost all cases in life, it's really never about you, it's about them. And I think you were able to see both Sean and Beatrice be able to acknowledge that, and it was cool. That's not something you see in a lot of twenty somethings. So, yes, we will continue watching, and if you're listening, we're assuming you will too. So, hey, we'll have to be watching episode four, which airs tonight tomorrow because duh, the Knicks are playing.
Speaker 2: Yes, so we can't exactly give you a time, and we we'll have the next update, but.
Speaker 3: It will be tomorrow after we watch tomorrow. But in the meantime, for any of you choosing Love Island over Game three of the Game two of the NBA Finals. Yes, I've already jumped ahead, my bad. We'll keep you updated and we'll all be watching together. And with that everyone, thanks for listening to us. As always, I'm Aymi Roboch alongside TJ. Holmes. We'll talk to you soon.