Speaker 1: You are listening to The Dan Patrick Show on Fox Sports Radio.
Speaker 2: And welcome to the program. It's our one on this Tuesday, Dan and the Dan Ets Dan Patrick Show morale is hi. Fritzie's in the back row with a big smile on his face. Dylan is there with his poker face. Marvin front row. I don't know what kind of face you have, A friendly face. I'd say that's a friendly face right there, and then PAULI, that's a professorial face that he has. Backroom guys, is well yours truly? Come on in, stay awhile, a lot of football to talk about. Your phone calls eight seven to seven three. DP Show operator Tyler is sitting by. He'll take your phone calls. Good morning if you're watching on Peacock, Thank you for downloading the app. By the way, something really special. So we have the calendar that we're putting together, the DP Show Calendar for twenty twenty seven. It's your book photos. You can be part of it. Your best, worst, or most awkward yearbook picture and if you send it to DP Calendar twenty twenty seven at Danpatrick dot com a chance to be featured in the DP Calendar at the end of the year. So DP calendar twenty twenty seven at Danpatrick dot com and send us your good, you're bad, you're ugly and join us.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Paul, real quick before we move on, did any of you guys have a great yearbook photo? My senior year felt good about it.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, although I had a red blazer on it. I don't know why. My mom took me shopping and it's a side it's the angle is very dramatic. I don't know why I allow this to happen, but it's okay. Hair look good, got this red blazer on, and of all my pictures, that's probably the best that I had yes time.
Speaker 4: Because the schools they hire these people, they think they Fellini or something like that. They don't wish they were in.
Speaker 5: Some kind of movie or something, and they're like, this is the best they can do is taking like middle school or high school pictures.
Speaker 4: They get a little carried away with it over the shoulder look or whatever.
Speaker 2: Did fully need take high school pictures?
Speaker 4: I don't know. Hopefully did I think he just went right to the big time as far as.
Speaker 2: I know, like Richard Avedon or somebody like that.
Speaker 5: Maybe, Yeah, they take me a little too seriously that the people were taking the pictures of that.
Speaker 4: You know, it's just a high school yearbook. Relax.
Speaker 2: How about you, Marvin, how was your high school yearbook?
Speaker 4: You know what, I don't mind it.
Speaker 6: I had a had a tan shirt, a tan tie, and I had football pants on that you cannot see. My mom got me out of football practice that Marvel. You got to take this photo because it was the last day, So Marvin, you have to.
Speaker 4: So it looked good.
Speaker 6: The hair looked good, you know, had had the waves, had the waves spinning when I had hair.
Speaker 2: What about you, Dylan?
Speaker 7: Uh? My, my I peaked probably with like my fifth grade yearbook photo, but my senior year one they used the I didn't like fill out anything, so I think they just use one. And it's the one where I have like my fist under my chin like the thinker. It's uh, it's pretty brutal.
Speaker 2: That would be Rodan, very good, yes, Rodan. Uh, Fritzy has a picture like that with your your chin resting.
Speaker 5: On your your real like a really concentrating But my picts are all puffy hair, weird things with suspenders of a lore shirts, jams shirts.
Speaker 4: Back in the day, and that was a big deal. I felt like carpeting on your shirt. I don't know what I was doing.
Speaker 2: Well, you can be part of the DP show calendar. You send us your photo. DP Calendar twenty twenty seven at Danpatrick dot com. All right, pull question, play of the day, stat of the day, all of that forthcoming. Ya had a lot of trades. The difference between buyers and sellers just a couple of games. I still go back to the Brewers. Look, I know small market. Nobody in the AL and NL Central want to spend money, although the Cubs do. But you have this team that they have the third best odds right now to win the World Series. Go out and at least put in an effort for Terrek Skubel because it helps you in two ways. It keeps him from the Dodgers, and with him and Misowski, you can win with those two guys as your starters. Certainly in a five game series, but a seven game series. So I at what point do you say, Okay, we're all in. I go back with the Brewers when they traded for CC Sabathia. They used him down the stretch. It didn't work out in the playoffs, but at least they made an effort there. Yes, I know you give up prospects, but at what point do you say this is as good as we kind of expect to be or want to be, And you're not going to be able to go out there and keep that picture from that You have to go through the Dodgers anyway, So why not go get a guy the Dodgers really might need now with Otani not being able to pitch, So that one surprised me a little bit. The Braves same thing. You got a lot of talent. Now, maybe they think this is good enough, but I don't think it is. Certainly in the National League. In the American League, this is where I'd be going. If I'm the Rays. Certainly the Yankees, I'd go all in. The American league's wide open. You can get to the World Series. I mean, there's not a lot of hurdles in your way in the American League. Now, the Yankees they have the second best odds. You know, the Red Sox are now back in the picture. Who would have thought. But if I'm the Rays, maybe I can't keep trek scuoble. But what is the goal here? Is the goal to make the playoffs? And kind of be threatening. Is that to get to the World Series? Like what is the goal here? And that's what's lost on me with the trade deadline. Go in and roll the dice, and I know we'll look back and say, oh my gosh, you know three years ago they gave up that prospect. I get it, but I would at least want my team to go, let's go. I don't want you to be crazy. I don't want you to be drunken sailors. I want you to be smart about it. Get the right guy for your team. And Trek Scuoble is the best pitcher in baseball, at least on the short list, and the Brewers Missserowski tired down the stretch last year. Now you have to give him him almost an innings limit pitch count. But you got to be ready to go in the postseason. And if you got the third best odds and you're not loading up and not keeping Trek Scuble from the Dodgers, to me, it's a missed opportunity. The Falcons have signed b Jeon Robinson to a new deal. He and Jamier Gibbs were holding out or holding in. This is the updated running back pay and this just happened about fifteen minutes ago. Bjeon Robinson is twenty two point twenty five million. With incentives, it'll be twenty five million, So that's number one. Number two on the list is Saquon Barkley at twenty point six Christian McCaffrey nineteen million, Devon eighth Chan sixteen million. So Jamir Gibbs probably is looking at something in the twenty three million dollar range. With incentives. For Bijon Robinson it could be up to twenty five million. And you start to look at the value of these two running backs. I'm not saying they've separated themselves because sik One Barkley is still wonderful, but Bijon signs three years seventy five million, and if you start to look at what his contributions are, he might be the best running back in football. If I look at what he did last year, he had fourteen hundred and seventy eight rushing yards, he averaged five point one yards per carry, He had seventy nine catches, He had twenty three hundred yards from scrimmage and eleven touchdowns. Gibbs twelve hundred yards rushing, averaged five yards per Carrie had seventy seven catches for six hundred yards eighteen hundred and thirty nine yards from scrimmage with eighteen touchdowns. Extremely valuable and both of them are and really the center point of their offenses and the running back position starting to get paid again CMC. When he got paid, then Saquon came in. Now you got Bijon and then you're going to have Jamiir Gibbs get paid as well.
Speaker 7: All right, poll.
Speaker 2: Question for the first hour of the program, Dylan, what are you thinking about?
Speaker 7: Well, we can start off with one from PAULI. Spending a lot on your running back is smart or not smart?
Speaker 4: Okay?
Speaker 2: When the Falcons drafted Bijon Robinson, what did they take him eighth? The Lions they took Jamir Gibbs, what was he twelve?
Speaker 4: Okay?
Speaker 2: Your goal is to get your running back another contract. I would think if you're going to take somebody up that high, isn't your goal to be like I want you to be great and we want to bring you back.
Speaker 4: Now.
Speaker 2: I'm not big on running backs after five years. I just think the wear and tear touches, not just running the ball, pass receiving. But you get guys, if they know how to protect themselves, that's the key. I get you out in space. I don't want to run you off the middle. You're gonna be able to break off some of these for long touchdowns, so you're a home run hitter like Jeremiah Love is already getting paid a lot of money for the Arizona Cardinals. But what we're asking those running backs to do is basically everything. Be a wide receiver, be a running back, be a decoy, be able to block. And if I'm now, I was in on Saquon Barkley and the Giants taking him number two overall because I thought he would be the missing piece and help out Eli Manning at the end of his career.
Speaker 3: I was wrong.
Speaker 2: Saquan was a great player, or had the potential to be great. We just didn't see it until he went to Philadelphia. Jamiir Gibbs, b John Robinson. They're worth that money. And it probably probably started with Christian McCaffrey because we thought he was done before he went to San Francisco. It was like, I don't know how much longer he's going to be able to play and how much they used him. Well, he's still been banged up, but he's still been great. When it comes to Offensive Player of the Year, he's usually on the short list there and kind of created or recreated the impression of what a running back should be. Now I can go back to Ricky Waters or Marshall Falk, some of my favorite players, Roger Craig Ladanian, Tomlinson that they kind of created this hybrid right in front of us, and you know, putting even more pressure on defenses. Now you have to account for that guy. Yeah, and then if you had to have a great running back, I don't know if defense is Yeah.
Speaker 3: And if you look at Bijon Robinson Dan in his three years in the NFL, as you said he's had, I think he's got two hundred and sixty one to one hundred ninety eight catches in the NFL so far that make him the third leading receiver from his draft class at the running back position. He was first team All Pro last year twenty two and ninety eight yards, and same thing with Jamir Gibbs three years close to two thousand all purpose yards per year.
Speaker 7: Well, I feel like like the McCaffrey's and the Bejons of the world, can they command more money because of their pass catching out of the backfield.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you're a full service running back that you never has to leave the field. A guy like remember a bunch of years ago, Leonard Fournette was taken high. He can't catch a hundred balls. He can't catch eighty balls. Very good running back, but probably not the all purpose running back of today.
Speaker 2: Well, we'll take a break. We'll be back after this Dan Patrick Show.
Speaker 1: Be sure to catch the live edition of The Dan Patrick Show weekdays at nine am Eastern six am Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 8: Hey, it's Rob Parker and Calvin Washington from The Odd Couple on Fox Sports Radio and in addition to hearing us live week nights from seven to ten pm Eastern on Fox Sports Radio, we are excited to announce and new YouTube channel for the show.
Speaker 2: That's right, You can now watch The Odd Couple live on YouTube every day.
Speaker 8: Oh you gotta do search Odd Couple FSR on YouTube again YouTube, Just search Odd Couple FSR. Check us out on YouTube and subscribe.
Speaker 3: Back on The Dan Patrick Show. Polypaps Dylan Marvin Fritzie having at audio issues in Maine. We're gonna get that worked out with Dan real quick, Dylan, let's go to you and go back to the initial poll. And you have other poll options for us this morning.
Speaker 7: Yeah, well recap the first one, which is spending a lot on your running back? Is smart or not smart? We've got some early results, Paul, if you'd like smart and not smart, let's do it. Do you want to guess?
Speaker 3: Uh, sixty percent not smart?
Speaker 7: Pretty good? Sixty seven percent not smart.
Speaker 3: Well, if you look at the situation, like Dan said a couple of minutes ago, it's like the Falcons decided to go heavy in the running back position with Bijon. But it's that when you do it when your team is to play, not ready to play. And Bijon Robinson, they took him. He's a sure thing. He's twenty four years old. They're buying his prime. But then if you look at Jeremiah Love out in Arizona, they're going to spend fifty million on him, and do they have a team around him to maximize him.
Speaker 7: I think the very short answer is no. But I don't know. It's crazy to see like a running back draft for that high, like he's his initial contract is like an aspirational contract for a lot of running backs for their second deal.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's basically what Bijon's getting and Jamiir Gibbs will possibly get. But you look at the Cardinals when they drafted him, a lot of people are like, not the right team, the great player, not the right team.
Speaker 6: Yeah, And I think when it comes to players getting drafted at high you guys think of somebody like Ezekiel Elliott when he was drafted fourth overall. But the thing was, the Cowboys had an outstanding offensive line.
Speaker 3: Absolutely, they had a great offense line, Zach Martin and those guys, and he averaged I think fifteen hundred yards his first three years that go.
Speaker 4: I think he led the league in rushing.
Speaker 9: Yep.
Speaker 6: So you get your best years. And even when he was up for the extension, Dan said it like, do not extend him because you put so much wear and tear on his body the first four or five years of their careers.
Speaker 3: I called that with zek Elliott. All right, here's the other topic here. If you're a Liance fan, if you're Jamiir Gibbs agent, do you have to get a million dollars more than BEJN Robinson?
Speaker 4: Well?
Speaker 7: Wasn't It was it Jamar Chase, who wanted one dollar more than Justin Jefferson. I think I think you can kind of the proof is in the pudding there where it's less about necessarily more money. It's just sort of the statement like all right, I am now the highest paid blank.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it does feel like it's more about the agent than the player, because if you're Jamiir Gibbs, hey we're getting fifty one and a half million dollars or fifty two. What's the difference. But the agent has to say face and get more than the last guy.
Speaker 6: And I think with the Falcons, they're putting money into their skilled position receivers. Now there's pressure on those guys to perform because last year, all season long, we called them probably the most frustrating team because they'd have a great showing one week and then a no show the next week. So now you're putting money into these guys, especially in a winn division like the NBC South. Come on now, because now you put money into these guys, let's start winning.
Speaker 3: But then you go back a couple of years ago with the Falcons, why take Pennix when you don't need Michael Pennox and that draft pick looks like it might not work out. They could have put another tool in there.
Speaker 7: I guess I would throw a question out to the room if you were, say, your Jamier Gibbs, in this upcoming contract situation, how important to you you, the player, would it be to get that extra million dollars on your contract?
Speaker 4: I think it'd be very important.
Speaker 5: I think that what happens all too often the agent is chirping in the player's ear, and like what Pouli was saying, maybe you're comfortable with getting a certain amount of money and that's plenty, and I'm good to go. But if you got an agent get talking you up like you can't. You got to get at least this much more than him. You are the best, and then all of a sudden that starts causing a complications between the player and the ownership.
Speaker 3: Yeah, just a recap. Bjon Robinson of the Falcons signs a new three year, seventy five million dollar contract. It's really about fifty million with guarantees, but makes him the highest paid running back of all time. And we are entering maybe a different era where it's gonna be there's gonna be star running backs to get star pay and then the interchangeable guys like I'll just get Isaiah Pacheco for a million five or guys that can rotate or take a guy in the fifth, sixth, and seventh round.
Speaker 6: Now, when it comes to running backs, you have to be a hybrid running bag. Derek Derek Henry is probably like the last of the Mohegans where it's like he's just a three yards in a cloud. It does type of running bag. But the rest of those guys you have to catch seventy to eighty balls a year in order to be considered one of those top guys to get paid that type of money.
Speaker 3: Right, And it's not like Derek Henry's not a great receiver, but when he gets it out there, if they could just dump him off to him and he's in space, he's facing a safety or a cornerback and they want no part of him.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 7: So for the last three seasons of his entire career, Jamier Gibbs has called seventy seven, fifty two and fifty two balls each year. I mean, that's gonna go a long way in contract negotiations, I would think.
Speaker 3: But this does fly in the face of the most successful NFL teams. If you go back to peak Patriots Jonah Gray and Corey Dillon and rotate the running backs. Yeah, Rex burkehead Marvin just had nice reference there. But they would just rotate running backs season by season and never commit and pay to any of them.
Speaker 4: Yeah. Besides, was that the Corey Dillon years.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they paid him a little bit.
Speaker 4: They paid him a little bit.
Speaker 6: But the rest of those guys, there was a guy with a hyphen in his name, I don't even remember, guys like James White, Guys like that where the interchangeable parts and obviously the console was Tom Brady and even the receivers interchangeable parts. So you just kind of need you don't need like a real guy like that if you're one of those teams.
Speaker 3: And if you look at the Chiefs run the past six or seven years, they drafted isaiaha Checko seventh round out of Rutgers. They paid him four million dollars for four years of work. They basically got him for nothing. They want a couple couple super Bowls with him. Now they have Kenneth Walker the third. They're actually investing in the quarterback or the running back position because there's less help for the quarterback. Tyreek Hill is not there anymore. Travis Kelsey is Travis Kelce like he was five years ago.
Speaker 7: Well, and Kenneth Walker's kind of been what I would call sort of that the equivalent of the second tier quarterback money, where it's like he's getting like thirteen ish or something like that, which is sort of your Sam Darnold type deal in running back for him, which you can still like, you know, you can easily win with, you know, if you don't have the options to get sort of the cream of the crop guy.
Speaker 4: You know, it's funny.
Speaker 6: I thought Isaiah Pacheco was going to be the centerpiece of Hey, we don't have to pay running backs as much because we're winning super Bowls with a seventh round draft pick. Because to me, you can find a good five to ten, two hundred pounds running back that runs hard and that can get you a thousand yards every single season as long as you have a great quarterback with some great wide receivers. I thought that was going to be the shift, But you know, I'll proven wrong.
Speaker 3: And if you look at what the Los Angeles Rams are doing, they get Kyrien Williams out of Notre Dame he's having a very good career. He wasn't a top ten draft pick, he wasn't a first round raft pick, so they haven't really paid him yet. That's a quandary. He's been nothing but great, but they're gonna have to pay him someday or let him go and let him go to the next highest bidder and just replace him at the running back position.
Speaker 6: And the funny thing is about the Chiefs is we talked about him a couple of days ago. Clyde Edwards Hilaire was a first round draft pick and he didn't do what we expected him to do. We just thought the rich would get richer, But instead you get Isaiabhachecki, who was a seventh round draft pick.
Speaker 4: That comes up big for the Chiefs.
Speaker 6: And so the running back position, to me, you can find a serviceable running back anywhere in the draft.
Speaker 3: Well, that's what most teams do, at least historically, teams do in the fourth, fifth, sixth rounds. If you look at the Chicago Bears at the running back position last year, they had Kyle Manungai, also seventh round, also out of Rutgers, played really well for a rookie. They don't have to pay him. He's making like nine hundred thousand dollars a year.
Speaker 7: I would say, though, like an argument for the the Bijon's and the Jamir Gibbs of the world is it's like you can get these guys for twenty three million or or whatever, or you could pay your Jamar Chases and your jsns for north of forty million dollars. Where I feel like we've seen the running back and wide receiver position kind of start to meet in the middle a little bit again in terms of perceived value. So it's like you are still getting a relative deal for an offensive weapon maybe witho the longevity.
Speaker 3: And if you look at the market the past ten years, running backs about every other year or every third year, you get a special running back that's a top ten type pick Jeremiah Love last year, Bijon Robinson, Saquon Barkley. It doesn't happen often. It's a bit of an eclipse.
Speaker 7: Gent also, Yeah, which we're still kind of in a holding pattern, I would say on that, but again that goes back to situation. Yeah, you need the infrastructure there, like Hiaran Williams, like you said, Paul to the Rams, like ideal scenario.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they don't have to pay them. They got a great offense around them. If you go back to gent taken by the Raiders last year, Dan talked about this, and we talked about this in detail in the show. The Raiders weren't in position to take a running back in the top ten. They didn't have a good offensive line. I think PFF had their offensive line ranked twenty eighth last year. Genty got roughed up out of Boise State. He got rouffed up last year, and you kind of wasted his rookie year and people think, oh, he's not working out that well. You put him a position to not work out that well by not having an offensive line to start with, Like Marvin you said with Ezekiel Ellen, he walked in on scholarship.
Speaker 6: That's like when when Jeremiah Love was drafted by the Cardinals, the first thing you said was, oh, that's I feel terrible team. Yes, wrong team. If you put him anywhere else with the serviceable offensive line, you're looking at man fifteen hundred yards maybe, But now, unfortunately we might look at him like a bus because he didn't have the offensive infrastructure for a slow start.
Speaker 4: Correct.
Speaker 3: Yes, yeah, if you look at the Cardinals last year. That's maybe one of those cases where what if they traded down and took advantage of another team wanted to jump up for Jeremiah Love and surround your team build your team. That's one of the worst talent rosters in football, and they went with a running back when they don't have the talent to surround it. They do have Rogers us, they do a tight end, They have a decent defense, but offensive line not there.
Speaker 6: Now do you think the Jeremiah Love draft pick was let's pick the best player, but also let's get somebody to excite the fan base in Arizona, somebody who can be on the cover of your media guide going forward.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm sure that's a strategy of a team like that. That's not very relevant. Kyler Murray's gone. You don't have a star on the roster. Marvin Harrison junior has star power from college, but not star play. Trey McBride not a star. But that's where I hope it wasn't a marketing draft pick. Marketing draft picks rarely do they work out.
Speaker 5: You gotta get fans a reason to come out, I guess, and if you know you're gonna be bad for.
Speaker 4: The next couple of years. You might as well get someone that has some kind of name Breck.
Speaker 3: But if the marketing staff has to say, come out and watch Jeremiah Love run for three point six yards.
Speaker 4: Of aage, fortunate, that's unfortunate.
Speaker 3: All right, Just recap Dan Patrick show working on Dan's audio, Dylan, Marvin, Pauli and Fritzi here holding down the fort. A little good news. How about a little good news in college football? Notre Dame USC rivalry is back. Ish, Yeah, let's go. It's back in three years from Oh what a lot of barriers that one don't read the fide in print. Yeah, starting in twenty thirty, Notre Dame versus USC will be back. I think the first two years in this reincarnation will be week one, once in Notre Dame, once out at the coliseum. Then after that it will be somewhere in weeks one, two, and three.
Speaker 4: Your thoughts how far ahead do they go?
Speaker 5: I asked you this off air and when we had the pre show meeting, But can you explain, like, why does it take so long that this can't get started for three four years from now?
Speaker 3: Generally in college football, the athletic directors put together their out of conference schedules at least two years in advance. You can go on like Texas's website or Georgia's and see upcoming schedules, and a lot of it is out of conference games. So that gap with Notre Dame in USC is about they let it lapse. It's like the a lease on a car. You let it lapse, you got to restart it. They have to restart it, but it won't start till twenty thirty. But what really is bothersome is letting it lapse in the first place. That's really bothersome. It's a perfect rivalry. Notre Dame in their style, USC and their style clearly don't like each other. It's a national rivalry.
Speaker 7: Is there a reason that they let it lapse, like or was it purely just like, oh, we forgot to fill out some paperwork.
Speaker 4: Who's there exact who's your fault for that? I don't recall. I'm trying to remember stories like who's to blame?
Speaker 10: How?
Speaker 4: And is it's on both sides? Why would that happen?
Speaker 3: Ever, dyl And I like your idea that they didn't file the paperwork in time, like an injunction oh, the deadline was July first. We just didn't get it, Ducks. You know, there's a lot of finger pointing. When the dam Patrick Show was out at Notre Dame last year. We talked to Pete Vaqua Notre Dame and he seemed to point the fingers at USC for halting the rivalry. Usc AD said, oh, we wanted to keep it going. You don't really know who did. Notre Dame was pretty stringent that they didn't want to stop it. And it feels like when USC joined the Big Ten they were looking for no offense, a couple early season wins, not upping their schedule because they knew the Big Ten schedules.
Speaker 4: Tough, Paul, you took the words out of my mouth.
Speaker 6: That's the first thing I thought of, Like, man, we got to play Michigan, Ohio State, now Indiana where you have Michigan State, all these other teams in that way us he's on the schedule. Also, Man, we can't do all of this and play all these really good teams. So you know what, we might take a break, but I'm glad they're back when we're out there in Notre Dame. I mean, just the anticipation around that game was through the roof. And it's one of those rivalries where they're not close in proximity, but it's a tale as old as time. Like my entire life, it's been Notre Dame USC as a big time rival.
Speaker 3: It's Hollywood versus the Midwest. You've been to both of those campuses, Notre Dame and USC. They're polled their opposites, and the thing is, you're right USC when they answered the Big Ten said we have a tough conference schedule, tougher than you know, Peak PAC ten Pac twelve, And they say, you know what, we want to play Notre Dame week one or how about a nice San Jose State home game?
Speaker 5: Oh we ever gonna learn who was afraid to play whom? Because that says I would love for someone to step forward and go, no, they.
Speaker 4: Didn't want to play it US.
Speaker 3: No one's raising their hands for its on this one.
Speaker 7: I do think it's for it's advantageous for both of them to get it out of the way week one, though, because if you lose, you know, like if that game is played later in the season, you know it could be more of a stand out a little more in terms of the recency bias, and.
Speaker 6: The beauty for Notre Dame is it's a win win no matter what, because say, if you lose to Notre Dame in Week one, man, we played a really tough USC team to start the season.
Speaker 4: So I mean I like it, though, Dah, I hate that it's three years.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's really silly as three years. When you saw the headline, like you said, Notre Dame versus USC is back in three years.
Speaker 4: That fine print got me. Yeah.
Speaker 3: The other thing about Notre Dame is they are so positioned to make the playoffs every year, even as is without playoff expansion. Notre Dame front loads their schedule. They play the really big teams like last year A and M in Miami. They could afford losses, not even multiple losses because the Playoffmitte looks as those as quality out of conference losses, which is a weird thing. But Notre Dame, the last seventy five percent of their schedule is more like Stanford, Navy, Boston College, generally winnable.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 7: I think they end with QS this season.
Speaker 9: Two.
Speaker 7: That should be a wee.
Speaker 3: That's friendly.
Speaker 7: That's friendly. I mean they make the college football playoff. Notre Dame has overwhelmingly the best odds, so they're minus eight hundred in Ohio State and Indian or minus three fifties. So like, basically Vegas is telling you there's almost no scenario that Notre Dame doesn't at least make the playoff.
Speaker 3: So this year for Notre Dame, the Irish schedule twenty twenty six, neutral site versus Wisconsin week one, then some friendly weekends Rice, Michigan State, Purdue, North Carolina, Stanford and a very beatable Wisconsin yesh. So they finish the season Navy Miami, that's their tough one. If their quarterback CJ. Carr is going to win a Heisman, his chance will be pile up yards the week's leading up to that, and then take down Miami National TV, NBC and November seven.
Speaker 5: Can't they put something in place where like you got to play tougher teams late in the season. I understand the schools don't want to have a late loss because it's recency buyers and that could affect making the playoff altogether or where they're ranked or whatever where they're seated, But that's just so weak there, Like well d in the beginning of the season and then they'll forget about a bad early loss and then we'll just have the cupcakes take us the rest of the way.
Speaker 3: Well, Fritzi, you bring up the biggest problem with scheduling in college football. They want to avoid tough games in November. Besides those conference rivalries. If you're Ole, mess you're playing Misissippi State, if you're North Carolina South Carolina. But they want cupcakes to end the season, and a team like Notre Dame is going to finish the season with kind of traditional rivalries like Boston College, SMU and Syracuse. But if you look at the SEC over the years, you'd see Georgia versus Wafford on November tenth, eight Oh, you see Alabama versus Citadel no offense preface.
Speaker 4: As a fan, your conditioned to it. As a season comes to the an end.
Speaker 5: In any sport, that's when things really heat up, NFL, NBA, anything goes last games matter so much, and then to see it's really disappointing to see how college football is so different and they go the other way.
Speaker 6: I just had a quick question about Notre Dame Miami. I know their arrival is their rivalry as in tense as Notre Dame USC or was it just during the Catholics Versus Convicts era where it was that intense of a rivalry.
Speaker 3: That's a tough question. I grew up on Notre Dame and Notre Dame Miami became a kind of a new rivalry, like you said, in the eighties and nineties and went away for a while. Usc I feature feels way more old school. Michigan is very old school. But they have like a series of them, but they're all national, They're all distant rivalries like Notre Dame. Indiana would be a rivalry now because Indiana is good.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I'll be curious to see if that one blossoms into something now, if Indiana can sort of maintain any sort of stature that it's gained.
Speaker 3: Well, one kicker in the story about Notre Dame versus usc is being back, It looks like Notre Dame versus IU is not going to be happening in the near future. That one is on the shelf. And could it be because IU is good now? The Hoosias are good. That's what people think nationally now.
Speaker 6: Is Notre Dame in the same position as Duke Is where they're a national brand because they're not tied to a city or state, like there's no city or state in the does that helped the brand.
Speaker 3: One hundred percent. Notre Dame was almost like omnipresence. They're like Kaiser SoSE. They're kind of in the Northwest Indiana area where I have friends who go, Hey, I'm gonna visit Chicago. Can we run over to see Notre Dame? Like, yeah, it's two hours away. It's not down the street, it's not in the South burbs of Chicago. Notre Dame is kind of an entity more than a place.
Speaker 7: That blew my mind that South Bend was in a different time zone than Chicago. I was like, wait.
Speaker 3: What, And that's really confusing because it's just over the border, I mean time zone wise.
Speaker 5: At the risk of sounding ignorant, can the ncaafay have no power at all to change this whole cupcakes thing late in the season and there's no one has any kind of power over these schools that all to say, hey, you got to play a few more tough teams lately.
Speaker 3: We're gonna break and take some calls a second, But Fritzy's point is that there is no NCAA scheduling zs are. You have all these conferences making their own schedules, and they work with in conjunction with ESPN, Fox Sports and other places. But they don't need approval. If Wisconsin wants to, if if Georgia wants to schedule the Citadel, there's no stopping them. If in the end of the NFL is a complete opposite. They have a complete scheduling office that builds storylines, that builds weeks and make sure there's no gaps in the schedule. If you wanted one thing that would up college football bigger than it already is if you had an NCAA scheduling office that worked with the teams and the schools and the networks, and you can make Notre Dame Texas week one. You can have usc U c L a earlier in the season and then maybe next year it's later in the season. You can ensure Texas always plays A and M. You can make sure Oklahoma always plays Texas on a certain date. Build more traditions back. You can't control people in and out of conferences, but you can control who plays who and when and avoid Ohio State opening the season versus Ball.
Speaker 4: Oh You got to make some calls we have.
Speaker 6: We have to.
Speaker 4: People in college football? Is this ridiculous? It's lasted this long.
Speaker 3: I wish we'd call Charlie Baker right Stick around Dan Patrick show. More to come after the break.
Speaker 1: Fox Sports Radio has the best sports talk line up in the nation. Catch all of our shows at Foxsports Radio dot com and within the iHeartRadio app search FSR to listen live.
Speaker 7: We had a new one Pauli too. This is a bit of a left turn, but something Todd and I were talking about yesterday. Oh boy, No, don't worry, it's not bad.
Speaker 3: Just because Dan's out for a couple of minutes, Here comes Dan.
Speaker 7: How often do you replace your phone? Every time a new one comes out every couple of years, whenever it fully breaks or you.
Speaker 4: Don't know what.
Speaker 3: Just to give a little backstory on this, Fritzi was talking about his phone, which I think is six years old and says he never replaces it until he absolutely has to.
Speaker 5: It's in bad shape and I can't even charge it sometimes because I something with the prongs on the bottom of the phone. We have to wiggle it a certain way for it to charge. And sometimes the email comes in. Sometimes it goes to email. The clock is starting to like fade away. It's just a mess.
Speaker 3: Now, Fritzie. I don't know if you know much about these phone companies, but they want you to replace your phone, and they give you incentives.
Speaker 4: Does seem that way?
Speaker 5: I've seen the commercials were like, you know, bring in your old phone and they'll give you all kinds of presents and stuff.
Speaker 3: So you prefer yours to work spodily as opposed to walking in changing it over and walking.
Speaker 4: I'm such a creature of habit.
Speaker 5: I think I'm afraid, even with the cloud and everything, somehow I'm gonna get a new phone and things are gonna be missing where it's not gonna work the way the other phone did. The same thing happened to me with the BlackBerry, and that's why I'm like holding onto this thing. But this morning, as a matter of fact, I plugged it in and it's said, I've never seen this before. I don't know if you've guys ever had this. I think my phone is like an R X or an XR. I don't even think they call it by letter Z.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yours is probably triple AX.
Speaker 5: It said you're unable to use the phone right now. Try again in a minute, and I'm like, what is that. I've never seen a message like that.
Speaker 3: Because Todd quickly thank you Tod quickly based off that, Will you drive to the phone store today and get a replace?
Speaker 5: It will not be today, It might be a weekend thing or in the coming weeks. I keep putting it off, and it's just out of laziness and just a fear of that the next phone is somehow going to be uncomfortable to use.
Speaker 7: So the uh we're currently I believe on the iPhone seventeen that's the latest model Todd as the XR, which I believe would put that at around eight years old. At this point, I am a thirteen and mine is like really on death's door, So I can only imagine just does yours?
Speaker 9: Even?
Speaker 7: Can you make calls?
Speaker 5: I can make calls, but I noticed that somebody will go to my Gmail like an email and then but for it to get to my regular email, it'll take several minutes.
Speaker 4: It'll say, connecting door.
Speaker 3: And welcome back to the Dan Patchow Dyl and Margaret, Fritzy, Paul and pack pass holding it out down the fort coming up in a little bit. Albert Breer of the Monday Morning Quarterback to talk about all the camps, get his take on the running back market, and a regular guest on this show. We have him on every year. Mike Sando, senior NFL writer for The Athletic. He is a nuts and bolts guy, really sharp, really smart. He does a thing every year, his NFL quarterback tiers. And I purposely not looked at this and we won't spoil it, so Dan could do the seg with Mike Sando, But I just want to give you a little nugget. He has I think four or five different tiers of quarterback Tier one, two, three, four and five. Pretty obvious. Paul Tier three, Fritzy Tier three. Bo Nix is on tiers three year thoughts insulting.
Speaker 5: I've been seeing a number of things, not just this ranking, but for the past number of months looking into the upcoming season, and I think bo Nix is being disrespected. I don't know if it's because it's just, you know, he doesn't have the name valued that some of the other top quarterbacks have, that he's young, that they needed all these wild comebacks. You know, if he's so great, then why did they have to, you know, pull off all these last fourth quarter comebacks.
Speaker 4: They should have had a.
Speaker 5: Big lead early. Whatever the thinking is. I'm pissed off about that.
Speaker 3: Were easy, easy, I am.
Speaker 4: I'm upset.
Speaker 5: I don't know how you're there tier three. I also don't know why the Broncos have to visit the Chiefs week one after we had.
Speaker 3: The one See that's not an insult, no, but that's.
Speaker 4: Ridiculous that you should come to Denver. We were the one seat.
Speaker 3: I will say bo Nix does feel like it's a little bit of a slight after what he did with that team, overachieving and doing it in the playoffs and get in them really in position to make a run last year.
Speaker 5: I don't I don't appreciate it. And Dylan, we we talked about this too before. You like bo Nicks a little more than this so called pundens or experts.
Speaker 7: I would put him at at least seventeen Todd.
Speaker 4: That's not helping me at all. Seventeen has been barely at the bottom of tier two.
Speaker 7: I mean, the bigger crime is having Lamar Jackson in tier two. But yeah, we're doing Homer picks over here.
Speaker 3: Yeah, just one more little tidbit on the Mike Sandal list they got Lamar Jackson's the leader. Would you rather be the number one in Tier two or the last one in Tier one?
Speaker 4: I'd rather be in Tier one or one. Absolutely.
Speaker 3: Let's take a few calls. Let's start with Oh here comes David and Ohio David, what do you have for us today?
Speaker 9: Hey?
Speaker 4: Looks up.
Speaker 10: Pauling could hold down the court. I had to comment about the had to comment about the calendar you guys are putting out. I think in February the page should just be a picture of the AT and T Stadium with the time that says close for business, Thank you.
Speaker 3: That's a running gag every week calls in with his Cowboys chat. Let's do one more call Fresh in Milwaukee, Fresh, what do you have for us?
Speaker 9: What?
Speaker 4: Guys?
Speaker 1: Man?
Speaker 9: I gotta say, you guys held it down so dope, man, that was really dope. I think VP should go do VP present the Dan Nix. But anyway, but he's thinking about them running backs and how you guys were talking to gout and be thinking if you were giving the keys to the franchise, would your first two picks be a great quarterback and a great left tackle or would it be a great running back, a great corner would your first speak.
Speaker 3: Dan next, So you're saying, if you're building a team from scratch right now in the NFL, what two positions, not players, would you take? I think you almost have to take quarterback off the board for this discussion. Otherwise I can't imagine someone taking another position player over, you know, whatever, be Jade and Daniels, Caleb Williams, whoever you love who's top tier, or Patrick Mahomes or or Matt Stafford he's older, but Joe Burrow. You almost have to take that off, don't you.
Speaker 4: Oh?
Speaker 6: Without question, the most important position in all of sports, period is the quarterback. I'd probably go with a left tackle and edge rusher.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think a lot of people would agree. If you have an all pro left tackle and all pro edge rusher, you're pretty set at the two most important pains.
Speaker 7: Anyone disagree, Not that I'm disagreeing, but I would. If we're talking in the draft, I would just take the best player, almost not regardless of position. Obviously, I'd wait, maybe like your quarterback or whatever, and rusher into your alignement.
Speaker 3: You can make the case that the Cowboys did this year this year with Caleb Downs. Safety is usually not a top ten position with the draft, but they look at Caleb Downs as a no question mark guy, a guy who's starting week one, hopefully starting your ten.
Speaker 4: I think I'm taking an rusher and a great wide receiver.
Speaker 5: I know you want to have the protection of the quarterback, but if you just stay in shotgrun and then you'll have a couple extra seconds to get the receiver open and get it to the receiver.
Speaker 6: But you know what's crazy about the wide receiver. Besides JSN this past year, you don't need an all world wide receiver to win Super Bowls.
Speaker 3: It seems like you could find a T. Higgins who's a B plus or someone like that, who if you don't have an A you could coddle together a wide receiver room right, as long as you have a really good core like you should be all said. Then you look at a like peak DeVante Adams with Aaron Rodgers. Those two are such a match that you know you may pick the wide receiver, like Fritzy said.
Speaker 7: I mean, and even last year, you know Jayson Offensive Player of the Year Jon Robinson had five hundred more yards from scrimmage than Jayson did. Receiving yards. I know that's not apples to apples, but if you're talking about total production, and.
Speaker 6: How frustrating is it if you're an Atlanta Falcons fan where you can't win the NFC.
Speaker 3: South, can't not camp? Can't they haven't they simply won't not camp for this coming season. I coming up a little bit, Dan, we'll be back with us. We'll talk to Albert Breer of the Monday Morning Quarterback and Mike Sando from the Athletic with his quarterback Tierless. Sure to upset you. Stick around, Dylan, Marvin, Fritzy Pauli holding down the Fort or Dan Patch show after this