Speaker 1: Welcome to Stuff to Blow Your Mind, a production of iHeartRadio.
Speaker 2: Hey you, welcome to Stuff to Blow Your Mind. My name is Robert.
Speaker 3: Lamb and I am Joe McCormick. In the past two episodes of Stuff to Blow Your Mind, we've been talking about a couple of famous, supposedly anomalous underwater images, weird, spooky looking photographs and images produced by sonar of objects on the ocean floor, which, to observers with the right predisposition, seemed like compelling evidence of alien visitation of Earth, or ancient technology of lost civilizations, or something else in that narrative space. And in a way, I think it's kind of telling that you look at an object and say, well, this could be aliens, or it could be atlantis. It's one of the two or both.
Speaker 2: You can have both sometimes yeah.
Speaker 3: I guess you could. But anyway, explanation referring to explanations that are big, exciting, mind rending explanations that would change everything we think we know about the world and about the history of life on Earth. Today's episode is not a strict like Part three or anything, but we are going to be continuing the theme, so I thought it would be good to start off with a recap of what we've talked about in the last couple of episodes, though today we're going to be taking it in a different direction. So what's the theme. Well, to start with, I'll do a brief review of the things we talked about in the last two episodes. One object was something that was photographed in the nineteen sixties and known in the UFO literature as the el tanin antenna. It looks to the untrained observer like some kind of antenna, some kind of receiver, you know. They called it, I think a microwave aerial or something in some of the early articles on it. But actually once people with the right background of marine biolology knowledge looked at this photo, they identified it with near certainty as a species of carnivorous sponge that lives on the bottom of the ocean. The other object that we talked about in the second of those two episodes was captured on fuzzy sonar images by treasure hunters and salvage divers in twenty eleven, and it has been referred to in the media as the Baltic Sea anomaly because it was supposedly somewhere on the floor of the Northern Baltic Sea and hidden knowledge. Enthusiasts called it everything from a crashed flying saucer to a monument built by the civilization of Atlantis, and in this case a positive idea is slightly more difficult than it is in the case of the Eltanan antenna, which is almost definitely the sponge, But numerous experts have commented that this is most likely just an interesting looking geologic formation, in other words, a big mass of rock that may be a result of the freezing and thawing of glaciers. But ultimately we don't know for sure, and so it's kind of interesting that in both cases, the story goes that someone captured a fuzzy or low resolution image of something that looked weird and to some extent, looked intuitively unnatural or out of place. That image was then published to a lay audience that had no background knowledge to help them understand what they were looking at, and then some observers concluded that since the object looked unusual, unnatural, or out of place, it must be a piece of anomalist technology deposited by aliens or time travelers, or a past human civilization about which all knowledge has been erased. However, in both cases, the more information entered into the picture, the more it seemed like these anomalies were probably just weird looking natural phenomena like animals or rocks. And so, while it's always important to keep an open mind, you want to keep your mind open to good evidence if it were to age of big and worldview changing discoveries, it is at the same time important not to let emotional excitement guide your reasoning. And one reason to be skeptical about putting something that looks weird and out of place into the aliens or atlantis column is that if you follow these kinds of stories long enough, you really start to see a trend. And that trend is the more information we have to inform our judgment, the less it seems like aliens. So the cases where a piece of evidence like a photograph or a video, remains unexplainable and thus still possibly aliens, those tend to be the cases where there are notable deficits of information, and these could be deficits within the evidence itself, like the picture or the video is very grainy and low resolution, so it's hard to tell exactly what you're looking at, and you kind of just have to shrug and say, I don't know, it looks weird, hard to say what it is. Or the information deficit could be in the person or community that is assessing the evidence. It could be in us. For example, most of us have a lack of background knowledge about what sponges on the ocean floor look like, or about what kinds of patterns can be found in natural rock formations, and so information deficits kind of keep the mystery alive. Meanwhile, the converse also seems true. The more information there is, the more likely it becomes that the object gets pinned down to an explanation from within the range of known causes. So you get a higher resolution video, or you get new videos of the same thing, maybe an additional angle, better light conditions, more experience or background knowledge with which to judge the video or photo, and oh okay, in these cases it's a milar balloon or oh I see that's a star, or that's an airplane. Rob Actually, another excellent example that you brought up in the last episode was the so called face on Mars. You know this was it's a wonderful photo, like I love the face on Mars, but this was done in by higher resolution photography.
Speaker 2: Done in to a certain extent. But like some of these other images, the face of Mars still remains this image that's kind of an article of faith to some you know, or at least this kind of totem of the paranormal and the potentially you know, cosmic, And I guess it is still certainly a testament to our ability to see ourselves in anything.
Speaker 3: Well exactly. And I wouldn't wish, by the way, that we could not read beauty and meaning into I don't know, things that might on their own merits not necessarily shout out to be meaningful, like a rock doesn't necessarily say that it has meaning, but you can see faces in it, and it can make you feel all kinds of things. This is like the basis of all art. Yeah, But when it comes to looking for explanations of things in the world, this pattern just pops up again and again and again. If the picture stays fuzzy, it still might be aliens, or it still might be atlantis. But if you're able to sharpen the focus or to have more background knowledge when you're assessing it, it's almost definitely not aliens. Then that's when you realize it's a balloon. And this doesn't mean we will never discover good evidence of alien visitation of Earth or anything, or of you know, maybe some big discovery about something previously unknown about the ancient world. That's always possible. But I think if you follow these stories, it's sort of impossible not to notice the trend, and awareness of the trend should put us on guard when new pieces of evidence bubble up from the low information or low resolution zone. So today we wanted to look at some similar trends, not in underwater imagery, but in imagery related to another domain that can often appear in degraded or low resis form and be kind of put cold in front of people who don't have contextual background knowledge to understand what we're looking at. And this is artifacts from ancient history.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think examples like this can be at times a little harder for us to wrap our heads around, especially if we are more inclined to sort of rally behind an outside idea about what we're looking at, because in some of these other examples of n amalists, data, anomalist photography, et cetera, there's often maybe a sense of kind of like a a rabbit duck illusion scenario, you know, or one of these, you know, one of these optical illusions where someone shows it to you and they say, hey, do you see a duck or a rabbit and you say, well, I see a rabbit. I don't see a duck at all. And then someone says, well, look, i'll show you, and you show show them the parts of the duck, and they're like, okay, now I can see it both ways. It can maybe be a little bit harder if in order to truly see it both ways, you have to say, understand ancient Egyptian hieroglyphics. So, like one of the examples I'm gonna touch on here is one where we absolutely know what it is and we absolutely know what it's not, and yet even you know, reading the explanation, you know, hearing from experts about it, you know, it can still be difficult. It's difficult for me to see exactly what we're talking about there, and it's actually easier for me to sort of lean in to the ridiculous explanation for what appears to be in front of us. So we'll get to this in a second, but first I just want to talk in general about the overarching theme of egypt Doomania. Now Egyptomania is more often used to refer specifically to nineteenth century European fascination with all things Egypt during Napoleon's Egyptian campaign, but it can also generally be leveled at various points in time when various cultures have pursued sued an interest in ancient Egyptian civilization and culture. And of course this general interest is irresistible because we've touched on many times in the show. I'm ancient Egyptian civilization, ancient Egyptian culture and mythology. These are fascinating.
Speaker 3: Topics, absolutely, Yeah, a beautiful entrancing and not just to people in the modern world. I mean, something I've read before is that people in the world that still appears as the ancient world to us looked back to the even more ancient Egyptian civilization and they were fascinated by it. There were there were ancient Greco Romans who had a kind of Egyptomania.
Speaker 2: Yeah, absolutely, I think we've we've mentioned the sort of mind blowing fact before. You know that the ancient Romans were greatly intrigued by ancient Egypt, which was already as ancient to them as the Romans are to us.
Speaker 3: Right, So at the time of Caesar Augustus, ancient Egyptian civilization was thousands of years old.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, And of course we've touched before on the ancient wonders of the world. You know, the Pyramids, the Great Pyramids were certainly on that list, and those still remain some of the most enigmatic man made structures on the planet, and we still don't know everything there is to know about them. So Egyptology remains a living field of study. Now. I was looking at a really, really good book about this that I highly recommend. It's from Ronald H. Fritz, titled Egyptomania, and in the book, the author discusses various forms of Egyptomania over the ages, from the ancient Hebrews, from Greeks and Romans to European models. There's a whole section on like fiction and gets into movies. He also has a great chapter on Afrocentrist movements that engage in Egyptomania, and he drives home that just many different peoples across different times have attempted to imagine and even remake the ancient Egyptians in their own image, to enhance their own worldview, their own their own ideology, etc. And the energy of this exercise ranges from just merely attempting to understand a fascinating time in people. I mean, that's one of our main tools is to think about even people from the distant past in different lands, to try and imagine what it would be like to be them. But on the other end of the spectrum you get into just outright pseudohistory, pseudoscience, and just everything else you might expect to encounter on the fringes.
Speaker 3: Well, yeah, there's an interesting duality that comes from trying to see yourself and imagine people like you and other times and other civilizations, because of course there probably is something that all people at all times kind of have in common. There is a common human experience, and you can try to imagine what it would have been like to live in ancient Egypt. But there's a possibility that in doing so, you kind of lull yourself into the false belief that you can say, look at ancient Egyptian art or look at ancient Egyptian artifacts and just intuitively identify what you're looking at, when in fact, you would probably need some very specific cultural knowledge to understand what you're looking at.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and a lot of this imagery getting right into what we're talking about here is the kind of stuff that can be mysterious enough, that can seem cryptic enough to folks who don't know what they're looking at that you can apply other ideas modern ideas to them. You know, like you just read a book about UFOs. Well, go look at these these images without any context, and you may see UFO related ideas. There. Read a book about the bicameral mind and start looking at some of these images. Well, you might have some alarming ideas and some interesting interpretations of what you see as well.
Speaker 3: Right, we read the world through the lenses that are available to us, and very often the lenses that are available to us sort of, what's the top lens on the stack is whatever you've recently been thinking about.
Speaker 2: Yeah, not to say that, you know, fresh eyes and fresh perspectives are not potentially important in reevaluating what we know and what we think we know. But oftentimes, when there is a particular preconceived notion in mind, you're not necessarily checking back in with the experts to see if this radical new theory matches up with the old school interpretation, etc. Certainly when we get into fringe ideas. So anyway, there's a long history of Gyptomania in Western magic and occultism continues to play into modern ideas of magic and ocultism, but also modern branches of fringe ideas concerning UFOs, ancient alien discourse, which of course we've discussed on the show in the past, and other paranormal concepts and yeah, so it's no surprise that various examples of iconography, archaeological remnants, and so forth that are not located on the bottom of the sea still end up speaking to us across time and culture in a way that to inexpert eyes or eyes seeking only confirmation of the paranormal examples of ancient technology and so forth, you know they're going to see that in these images. So in just a few minutes we'll get to a couple I think of interesting examples of this. But going back to the book Egyptomania, Fritz points out that there are other not necessarily alien fringe ideas that pre exists UFO fascination that already insisted that ancient Egypt was, for instance, much older than mainstream historians believe today some of these pushed back to like ten thousand BC or earlier, as opposed to the accepted view that the Archaic Age stretches five thousand to three thousand BC, with the Old Kingdom coming in at around three thousand BC. And then you have a number of fringe ideas that don't again don't concern alien or anything like that, but they they get into this idea that like, surely there is some ancient advanced civilization at the heart of all of this, and so Fritz discusses a few of these. There's this idea. One idea is that the ancient ancient Egyptian civilization extends from civilization X or the Ice Age supercivilization.
Speaker 3: Oh, there are similar analogs to this that are still kicking around today.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and of course a big, big one is Atlantis, the idea that like refugees from sunken Atlantis founded ancient Egypt, that sort of thing. And then you also have the ancient alien discourse coming in the ancient Aliens teaching the ancient Egyptians how to do things, or ancient Aliens interbreeding with the ancient Egyptians, supercharging human DNA and basically anything else you want to happen. I don't know.
Speaker 3: I feel like a lot of alien discourses like wrong but fun, But like the alien supercharging DNA thing goes is not wrong and fun, it's like wrong Engross.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you get it. You, I mean so much of this. It can these ideas, they can start in a place that feels just fun and escapist, but you follow them long enough, they can get into perhaps creepier territory. But there is still a lot of variety here to choose from. And Fritz writes the following quote. The outpouring and accumulation of the many theories that alternative historians advanced about ancient Egypt could be considered a cornucopia. But since so many of the theories clash with and contradict each other, a better description might be a cacophony. And I think we saw this in some of the discussion of our previous underwater examples as well. You know what is the anomaly? Well, there's never like this single paranormal explanation, but a whole host of them. Certainly, the deeper you go into a theme like okay, it's an antenna, but is that is it? The secret world? Government that built it, or is it the ancient loss civilization that built it, or is it current UFO, current alien visitors that built it. And within a given person's body of work, they might have a specific idea, but it's going to be different from the next book on the shelf.
Speaker 3: Or as we mentioned directly earlier, if you look at an object on the ocean floor and you think, well, this could be a UFO, or it could be a temple built by the people of Atlantis, or it could be a Nazi bunker. In that case, like, could it really possibly even suggest any of those like that? Those are so different it sounds like you're just kind of like reaching around for whatever, not like saying, oh, it really has attributes that would make us conclude it is x yeah exactly.
Speaker 2: Now. The Atlantis connection to ancient Egypt goes way back. Apparently goes back to the writings of Plato concerning the idea that the ancient Egyptians coexisted with Atlantis nine thousand years earlier. Fritz writes that while Plato was likely stating all this purely to make a philosophical point, the idea that Egypt was already a nine thousand year old civilization was probably what contemporary Greeks believed in the fourth and fifth centuries BCE, and to be clear, other civilizations of the day were cited with bloated timelines as well.
Speaker 3: Yeah, one big difference between like an ancient Greek historian and a modern historian is that modern historians have a wealth of physical scientific evidence that they can draw on to help inform you how they should process the received stories told about the past. You know, you can, like you can do digs, and you can do radiometric dating, and you can do all kinds of things that give you physical clues to help you either confirm or disconfirm things that have been written down about what happened in the past.
Speaker 2: Absolutely now, of course, one of the things about Atlantis is that the concept never completely goes away, certainly in the West, but it comes and it goes. It's heightened by the discovery of an inhabited America's and then again in the nineteenth and twentieth centuries, with modern pseudohistory of Egypt and Atlanta's emerging largely from the writings apparently of American politician Ignacious Donnelley in eighteen eighty two, Donnelly, if you're not familiar with him, represented Minnesota in the US House of Representatives from eighteen sixty three through eighteen sixty nine. He pushed a number of ideas concerning pseudoscience and pseudohistory. So, yeah, definitely one of the many characters that Fritz writes about in this section. Oh boy, Now another figure that Fritz touches on here and credits largely with this sort of modern idea that Egypt had advanced technology. Ancient Egypt had advanced technology. This goes back to the psychic readings of when Edgar Casey, who lived eighteen seventy seven through nineteen forty five, a self professed clairvoyant who carried out quote unquote life readings for people and revealed their past lives in ancient Atlantis, as well as the advanced technology that the Atlanteans supposedly had, such as advanced crystal laser weapons that they ultimately used to destroy Atlantis with the survivors fleeing to Egypt.
Speaker 3: Crystal laser weapons.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, it sounds remarkably like that old Atari twenty six hundred game Atlantis. I don't know if any went out there actually played this, but I remember as a kid seeing the commercials for it online and it was kind of a scary commercial with a whole narrative structure going on. Had to do with that. I believe Memory serves an ongoing war between the Gorgons and the people of Atlantis, and it was a great commercial. Look it up if you haven't seen.
Speaker 3: It, you know, I kind of can't help but think though all these ideas about ancient Egypt having advanced technology. In a way, they did have advanced technology, but they had advanced technology for the time in which they lived. Like, you do not have to turn to bad standards of evidence for examples of amazing technological achievements in ancient Egypt. They built the Pyramids, among tons of other things. That was not ancient aliens. That was extremely smart and industrious people creating amazing technological achievements with a very limited set of tools compared to what's available to people today. That is an amazing technological feat. It was just an amazing technological feat for the time.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Absolutely, I mean that's one of the tragedies about all of this is like when you when you get wrapped up in say ancient alien discourse, you end up reducing the importance of of of what people were actually doing if you're if you just attribute it to the gifts of the gods, the gifts of the alien visitors, and so forth. Now, I want to stress that in this chapter, Fritz touches on a number of different names, and I'm not going to get into everybody here, but you know it's there there. There are various writers and occasional outright con men that are engaged in the sort of work, and there were kind of feeds off each other. One of the big ones, uh, One of the big names, certainly an ancient alien discourse, is the work of Eric Vondanikin, who we've talked about in the show before because he was the author of Chariots of the Gods in nineteen sixty eight. I say it that way because the title does have a question mark at the end, always pronounced the question mark.
Speaker 3: Like he's like kind of getting you with the elbow and winking while he.
Speaker 2: Says, yeah, I think we mentioned and we went in and discussed this idea at length and the various criticisms to it. But even this idea like it was influenced by the writings of H. P. Lovecraft and other weird writers of the early twentieth century. Lovecraft and his contemporaries, by the way, also wrote about tales related to Egyptian motifs and Egyptian oriented occultism and so forth, So you have a lot of these sources feeding into each other.
Speaker 3: It's been years since we did the Eric Vondanikin episode, but am I remembering something about how he had like created the Chariots of the Gods theme park?
Speaker 2: Is that?
Speaker 3: Am I losing my mind?
Speaker 2: No? No, there was Slash is a theme park. I'm not sure off the top of my head what's going on with it right now, but like, that's how big this guy.
Speaker 3: I want to flat earth six flags.
Speaker 2: Now. Fritz points out, though that early ancient alien discourse folks, and even Vondanikin's original book don't actually reference Egypt all that much. So you have other individuals who kind of come in with the Egyptology alternative Egyptology view of everything, and that gets, you know, sucked into the whole concept. He points out one particular author, I believe this is a book from nineteen eighty four from one zechariash Si Chen who lived nineteen twenty through twenty ten. This is apparently one of the only serious competitors to Vondanikan because the Vondanakan's books generated a lot of discussion, and you know, they're pretty popular for the time period. So a lot of other authors came in to try and cash in on ancient alien discourse, but this particular individual sition seems to have been one of the more successful of those to come in and try and get cash in on everything here, and Fritz points out that he seems to have avoided a lot of the criticism that was reserved for von Dannakin. So Vontanagan got big enough to where like when people like Carl Sagan entered the chat, Vondanakin's ideas are the one or the ones that Carl Sagan is going to respond to. Carl Sagan doesn't have time to deal with everybody else in the genre.
Speaker 3: And to be clear, Carl Sagan was not saying that ancient aliens like were a viable explanation for the Pyramids or anything. He, as I recall, entered the discourse to kind of say, well, if we're going to entertain this possibility, we should have some standards of evidence, right, like we should lay out in advance what would we be looking for instead of just like looking at what's out there and saying like, eh, that could be aliens.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I thought Sagan has some great responses to it. They were not like one hundred percent shut it down, dismissive of it as a concept, were but also reiterated that there are high standards for this, and if you were looking for evidence, you would be looking for very specific sorts of evidence and so forth. But again, when Sagin's entering the conversation, when other critics are coming in and dealing with what Vondnigan's written about, especially with that first book, they're not dealing with the Egyptian themed content. Individuals likes Sitchin apparently are the ones who were the ones to initially drag Egypt and ancient Egypt into the scenario, and perhaps a lot of that Fritz Rights seems to have maybe existed below the mainstream radar for a while, you know, being just a part of the stuff that's discussed in the fringe movements. And it's not until the nineteen nineties. He writes that we see quote, the penetration of highly speculative theories about ancient Egypt into mainstream popular culture.
Speaker 3: I think maybe the designation as highly speculative is a good one, because sometimes I'm looking for the right blanket terminology to describe all these different types of explanations that we're talking about. They're not all necessarily like conspiracy theories, they don't all necessarily have exactly the same content, But what they do seem to have in common is that they are highly speculative, meaning they are elaborating a lot of explanatory narrative on a very weak evidential basis.
Speaker 2: So to be clear here, what apparently is going on at this time leading into the nineteen nineties, according to the author here of Fritz, is that under the surface of all this other talk about ancient aliens and so forth and other paranormal ideas, there's this kind of growing swell of alternative Egyptology, and then during the nineteen nineties it begins to bubble up into the mainstream discourse. And Fritz cite's two main reasons for this. One is the approaching millennium and various ideas concerning the new millennium that's about to be here. The second reason he brings up is that there are just a number of new archaeological discoveries that were taking place in Egypt that were capturing mainstream attention, and we're inadvertently fueling the nonsense that, again was festering in the fringe.
Speaker 3: I see so like because for totally legitimate reasons, ancient Egypt might be popping up on the news, like you're seeing it on TV in ways that you probably didn't see it as much before. It's just sort of in the air, and it is one more thing you could attach highly speculative theories too.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and then you have other individuals that are writing more directly about it. It's popping up in the writings of Graham Hancock, for example. He also cites the X Files as being popular. Though you have more expertise for the X Files. I don't know the X Files that ever actually had any ancient Egypt themed content. I don't know if they ever went up against a mummy or anything.
Speaker 3: I recall very little about that except well, actually, now that I think about it, I think there may have been a mummy episode that is remembered as one of the worst episodes of the X Files ever, unless that's hold on, got to look it up now. Oh no, I see why my memory was confused here. Yeah, one of the worst X Files episodes ever does concern a mummy, but it's not an Egyptian mummy. It's a South American mummy.
Speaker 2: Okay. Well, even if the X Files are not directly contributing to alternative egyptology discourse, you can, I guess look at it as kind of like a sign that fringe ideas were entering into the mainstream, at the very least as entertainment. But then I guess sometimes entertainment has a way of bleeding over into other things.
Speaker 3: Don't drag the X Files into this. The X Files. The X Files are pure and holy they didn't do anything wrong. That's a fictional show. It's okay.
Speaker 2: But I guess the bigger thing that's going on here that Fitz points out is that at the time, academics had largely ignored these trends, like academics in egyptology and so forth, archaeologists and so forth. Yeah, they weren't venturing into arguments against ancient alien discourse folks and so forth. And that's sensible by and large because like, that's not what their work is, that's not what they have set out to do with their work and their careers to just respond to various highly speculative ideas about why things appear the way they are.
Speaker 3: Well, and it's often difficult to respond to highly speculative ideas from an informed point of view, because a lot of times all you can just say is like, there's no reason to think all that, you know, like, the claims of highly speculative theories are often not like the kinds of tight, pecific focused claims about specific pieces of evidence that you can that you would be used to addressing, say in an academic archaeology journal or something like that. They're like these elaborations. They spend these wild narratives that are kind of too big to even know where to get a toe hold in if you're trying to criticize them, other than to just kind of say, like, well, that just sounds all made.
Speaker 2: Up, yeah, Fritz Wright's quote. Academics generally avoid dealing with alternative scholars This attitude is justified by the excuse that debating alternative or fringe scholarship only gives it a false credibility. Some consider debating speculative scholars as a dialogue of the death since the speculative ideas tend to be treated by their adherents in a manner of religious faith rather than scientific inquiry, while some academics just hold speculative ideas in contempt, ignoring the alternative Egyptologists did not, however, serve the academic Egyptologists well. During the nineteen nineties, they found themselves marginalized in the popularne mind and put on the defense. So the argument here is yah, perhaps they did wait too long to respond to a lot of these ideas that were welling up into the mainstream, and he points out that it was apparently wasn't until a pair of BBC Horizon documentary specials titled Atlantis Uncovered in Atlantis Reborn weighed in and offered a scathing rebuke of these ideas in the mainstream, And this wasn't until nineteen ninety nine.
Speaker 3: You know, I feel like this mirror is a pattern that's still a problem with like highly speculative alternative ideas of all sorts today, because usually people who have real expertise in the field are busy talking to each other and they're kind of in a contained conversation space. Meanwhile, people who are offering highly speculative ideas go straight to the media into a popular audience.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and you can understand too why I mean, thinking that the pyramids were built by aliens? Does that necessarily pose like a real threat to you know, at what point do you actually make the call? It's like, Okay, enough is enough. We need to say something about this, We need to put together a documentary to dismiss this nonsense, because it seems like for a long stretch of the build up you can say like, well, this is dumb, or this doesn't really match up with any actual work. But it's been conducted, any actual research or evidence. But it's not hurting anybody.
Speaker 3: You could say that. A lot of people do say that, But I don't know. Sometimes I wonder if these supposedly harmless, I mean, probably they are somewhat harmless in themselves. Highly speculative theories or conspiracy theories sort of engender a pattern of thinking that can easily be used to foster incredibly destructive and dangerous ideas that are violent.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, I think I think at this point, certainly this day and age, I think most of us realize that like the realm of conspiracy thinking is not just a domain of like escapist ideas that are not hurting anybody. There are plenty of harmful ideologies that are that are woven throughout many of these these branches of conspiracy thought.
Speaker 3: Then again, I mean, I want to be realistic and say I don't I don't know if you can really say that if if we had done a better job of convincing people that aliens didn't build the pyramids, that they wouldn't end up thinking, you know, some kind of violent conspiracy theory. But you do have to wonder if just sort of like ignoring and letting it pass when people are engaging in conspiracy thinking and these other domains just sort of like, let's that style of thought fester.
Speaker 2: All right, Well, let's let's look at the evidence. And by look at the evidence, I mean let's look at a couple of examples. We are not setting out to look like at like all the evidence or alleged evidence for ancient Egyptian advanced technology and chariots of the gods and so forth. There's just a few a couple examples that I think match up with what we've been discussing about information, data, images, etc. That can be perplexing and that can certainly lead to an interpretation that is again not based in expertise and not based in like a wider body of evidence, but are based in confirmation bias and based in some sort of an alternative understanding of science and or history.
Speaker 3: Okay, what you got?
Speaker 2: So, did the ancient Egyptians have apache helicopters?
Speaker 3: Gotta be yes?
Speaker 2: Surely no, We're going to move forward with the spoiler in place that no, they did not. But there is an image that you will find, and you've probably seen online. You see some hieroglyphics, and there is an image or a character towards the top that, if we're being generous, kind of looks like a modern helicopter. And next to it is something that I guess kind of looks like a space tank.
Speaker 3: I mean, while we're doing this, let's not go all out under the helicopter. There is an R two D two and I don't know what you're saying, is a tank that looks to me kind of like a MiG fighter jet.
Speaker 2: Okay, all right, we also got.
Speaker 3: A we get we have keeping up with the R two D two theme. We have Luke Skywalker's land Speeder. You see that one?
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah, that's That's what I was kind of seeing as a tank. It does look at the look at speeder as well. Yeah, and then of course we have a we have a bug of some sort as well. That's clearly a bug. But is it a giant bug? Right? You know, your your theory may vary. Now. One of the things about this image is a lot of the places where you see it, they're not going to be approaching it from a skeptical point of view, uh, and actually finding like good sources on this where someone's just gonna come in and and tell you exactly what you're looking at, are actually a little harder to come across. And I think this is where you get into the the problem of like, like experts in ancient Egypt and hieroglyphics are not necessarily wasting their time weighing in on whether ancient hieroglyphics show as a helicopter.
Speaker 3: Right, So, I haven't checked, but I would guess that like, is this hieroglyphic a helicopter? Is not like the subject of many Egyptology journal articles.
Speaker 2: Right, Right. But I was able to find, you know, a few different sources that discuss it in a way that I could I could get behind the image in question. I've seen in a couple of places it attributed to a nineteen eighty seven photo by an American who is visiting the Temple of Osiris in Abydos, Egypt. So it's a it's a real photo of a real object, of real you know, etchings, and it's pretty clear like there's it's one of these things where the photo quality and the reality of the thing that is photographed, these are not in question. But it's this interpretation of what you're looking at that's where you see these enormous leaps taken where people are seeing bits of advanced technology. But fortunately there is a very straightforward explanation for what we see here. I found a couple of different discussions of this, but the one I'm going to lean on mostly is this was from an article that Asian historian Richard C. Carrier wrote about back in nineteen ninety nine for The Skeptical Inquirer in an article titled flash Fox News reports that Aliens may have built the Pyramids of Egypt. As the title suggests, this is about coverage at the time on Fox News. Again, this is nineteen ninety nine about alternative Egyptology and the broadcast included images of the alleged helicopter and comparison images to modern Apache attack helicopters. So Carrier spoke to some Egyptologists for the article, and it seems to have seems to have been sort of new pseudohistory to some of them at the time. Again, this was daring that than the very end of the nineteen nineties, so it seems like, you know, the subculture was bubbling up into the mainstream quite a bit. He writes the following to sum it all up, But what do the experts say about this helicopter glyph? This will serve as an example for all the rest. The helicopter, in fact, is the abodos palimpsest. A palimpsest is what is created when new writing is inscribed over old. In the case of papyri, old ink is scraped off, but in the case of inscriptions, plaster is added over the old inscription and a new inscription is made. The image described as a helicopter is well known to be the names of Rameses inscribed over the names of his father, something Rameses was known to do quite frequently. A little bit of damage from time and weathering has furthered the illusion of a helicopter. It basically comes down to this basic fact though, that a previous image, a previous inscription, was plastered over and replaced with another one, and then when stuff starts wearing away, a sort of hybrid image emerges that doesn't mean anything, but that looks like something from our modern age. You know, I guess it would be like it'd be like if one billboard were plastered over another one and then there's a fierce storm and it tears part of the billboard away, and then so you have a mix of the old billboard and the new billboard, and what you're left with is just kind of confusing. But maybe it looks like a monster. Maybe it looks like you know, what have you. And by the way that the topic of palms is fascinating, there's a much older episode of stuff to blow your mind that goes into it. But yeah, you get into this whole realm of you know, erased books just under the surface of ancient tomes, and you know, sometimes they've been on earthed. Sometimes you have to use you know, modern technology to sort of see through the printed page and see what was originally there. And you see it in paintings and much more, and it can seem a bit foreign to us, given how just disposable paper is. And you know, you can rewrite files, you know, as many times as you want. You can just set around creating new documents and deleting them all day. But there was a time when in order to erase document and create new document while that meant grabbing the plaster.
Speaker 3: Okay, So this strikes me as a case that is in the low information category we've been talking about in multiple ways. So the original image is somewhat altered or degraded in the way that it's been photographed like it might be hard, especially if you're not familiar with ancient Egyptian inscriptions, to understand that what you're looking at is not even one single continuous drawing or piece of imagery, but is instead a couple of things sort of bleeding into each other. And then on top of that, there's the low information condition of us looking at it without being familiar with, say, the way the name Rameses is depicted in hieroglyphics.
Speaker 2: Yes, Now, the second example we're going to look at here is also really fascinating, and this one is a lot in a way. In a way, this one is a lot more clear, but is also even more cryptic and even harder to really understand. And you'll see what I'm talking about as we roll into the discussion here. But this concerns the so called Dindara Lights or the Dindara Light. So these are a series of stone release in the hawt Or temple in Dindera, Egypt. Now you can look up images of this, and I've included one of the images here for you to look at, Joe, and they are quite captivating. And I mean it's almost unfair to throw people at this with sort of alternative Egyptology in the back of their mind, because it's going to make you lean in too, perhaps seeing things again from not only a modern standboy point, which we can't help but do, but also from a standpoint of looking for some sort of crazy advanced technology in the past. So if you were looking at these just kind of out of context, but not with any specific expectations of the advanced technology, I think you might guess that we're looking at a couple of ancient Egyptian individuals who have giant eggplants, and those giant eggplants have giant snakes on them. This would this would of course be be incorrect. This is not exactly what we're looking at, but that's what it kind of looks like to me.
Speaker 3: I might have said, giant shields. I mean, they're holding some what looks like a really large flat object on which a sort of slithering snake is depicted. But of course the strange thing is that out of the bottoms of the shields there is coming some sort of line, which, again, if you're playing into ancient technology thinking, you could say, is that a power cord? Is that some kind of cable?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Yeah, so there's this sense of plant to it. Yeah, there's definitely a snake, there's no doubt about this snake. But then there's this this large sort of bulb or eggplant like shape to the thing. And so the the alternative, the highly speculative hypothesis here that once he's reflected and some of this you know, ancient alien discourse and and you know pseudohistories and pseudo scientific ideas concerning ancient Egypt, are that well, what they are holding here are filament light bulbs or representations of filament light bulbs.
Speaker 3: Okay, well, if you are familiar with incandescent light bulbs. You can absolutely see how somebody would make that comparison. There is the shield or the eggplant shape, looks like it could be a you know, a transparent glass tube. The snake depicted on it looks like it could be maybe looks like it could be the filament inside the bulb. And then the sort of line. There's like a sort of flower looking thing at the base of the bulb, and you could imagine that is the socket or not the socket, what would you call it, the uh, you know, the metal part at the base of an incandescent light bulb. And then the line extending away from the bottom. You could say, okay, that looks like a power line. It looks like, you know, whatever the electricity is going in through.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So the radical idea here would be that the ancient Egyptians had mastery over electricity. They made light bulbs or I guess received light bulbs from someone. They got a you know, a monthly delivery from the aliens or something, and they wired up their various buildings with electric lights of one sort or the other.
Speaker 3: The aliens gave them highly inefficient incandescent light bulbs.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, or I mean, when you get into the various arguments, they also they draw comparisons to you know, sort of like early different variations of artificial lighting. So I don't know, the exact model may vary, but the idea, yeah, is that the ancient Egyptians had light bulbs. Now, actual experts who weigh in on this will we'll say, well, these are these are not light bulbs. Obviously, what we're looking at is a symbolic motif. And another huge important fact here is that these are not illustrations or engravings that are occurring in isolation and out of context. Like, there's plenty of context, the most important being that this is a temple of Hatlar. This is a god of ancient Egypt who Geraldine Pinch in the book Egyptian Mythology describes as a golden goddess that aided in childbirth, the rebirth of the dead, and the renewal of the cosmos. She was seemingly a complex deity with both destructive and beneficial attributes, and she was commonly depicted as a beautiful woman with a red solar disc between a pair of cow horns. Now, she could be worshiped in a few different forms, but one of the main roles she has. Here is a mother, and she is the mother of Horace, Uniter of the Two Lands. Horace, of course, is a very important god in Egyptian mythology, the celestial falcon and the god of kings. So here Horace is Haarsmatus uniter of the two Lands, and apparently in these images we're seeing representation of him in the primeval form of a serpent. In rebirth. He is depicted emerging in the form of this serpent from the lotus flower, which is in turn inside a boat, lining up with the concept of the solar god rays solar barge.
Speaker 3: Ah, okay, this is starting to make sense.
Speaker 2: Yes, yeah, So like emerging from the lotus flower is the serpent, that is horse. Now you're probably wondering, what about that light bulb, what about that eggplant? Well, this is thought to be and I hope I'm pronouncing this right a hen that's h n And it may represent the womb of the sky goddess nut or note. And this is a goddess that was associated with the fig tree and also with cosmic motherhood. The image in question also entails the symbol as of the jed pillar with added arms coming out. So this this is I mean, to my eyes like, this is way weirder. This is the far weirder helmet. Is this strange pillar looking thing that's sort of holding up one of the eggplant shapes and has arms coming out like some sort of like bizarre psychedelic muppet. But this is also grounded in ancient Egyptian symbolism. You know, it's about stability and you know, and holding up the cosmos and so forth.
Speaker 3: You could argue that this looks like a baseball bat with several rings around it, and it has arms, it has two arms, and it's pushing on the so called light bulb.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So in the same way that if we look at hieroglyphics, we're looking at at language that we have no frame of reference for. It's similar with with the icons that we're seeing represented here. We have no unless we are trained in it. We have no frame of context for what these symbols are and what they represent. And all you can ultimately do is sort of like try and take them at I guess sort of base level, and then you can potentially lean into these elaborate explanations for what you're seeing and you know, you can imagine the what would occur if you were to take any form of highly symbolic art from the modern world and try and understand what you're looking at. So anyway, yeah, it's it's speaking of visual language that we probably are not going to pick up on in the modern age again unless we have the expertise and we've you know, we are an Egyptologist, et cetera, or it's been explained to us because at the end of the day, what we're likely looking at here is some representation of the rise of the sun and its journey through the night, though delivered through religious ideas and symbolism of the time and also the specific theology of this particular deity.
Speaker 3: Right, And it looks like a light bulb to us rather than this ancient Egypti artistic motif because we're used to seeing light bulbs, who were not used to seeing this artistic motif. And if you happen to be familiar with the right ancient Egyptian art, you recognize it as Oh, it's one of those.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Now, I've looked at a particular book by archaeologist and author Kenneth L. Fetter on this matter. The book is frauds, myths and mystery science and pseudoscience, and archaeology, and he points out that these quote unquote lights a factor into Eric von Doniican's nineteen ninety six book The Eyes of the Sphinx, in which von Donican argues that the only rational way that the Egyptians, the ancient Egyptians could have worked in the dark confines of the Pyramids and other locations other structures without leaving telltale lampblack from burning lamps. The only possible way this could be the case is if they were using electric lights.
Speaker 3: Air Tight.
Speaker 2: Now points out that Egyptologists have a far less imaginative explanation backed up by actual evidence, and that is that the ancient Egyptians used linen soaked in oil or animal fat and twisted into wicks. These wicks would have burned quite brightly, and then with salt applied, this would produce less smoke, which would produce less lamp black and they would have, yeah, they would have burned pretty brightly, bright enough to conduct their work. And they would also burn for a set amount of time that would apparently mark the length of an artisan where a worker's shift. And again this is something we have context, for we have physical evidence for it factors into our overall understanding of who the ancient Egyptians were and what their world was like. But if you go with a light bulb hypothesis, well you have no evidence because where are examples of the other light bulbs, the spent bulbs, Where's evidence of the bulb production facility, the power sources, the wiring, et cetera. I mean, it all just falls quickly apart. Instead, Von Donikin apparently leaned on the thoroughly discredited hypothesis of the Baghdad battery as proof.
Speaker 3: This is yet another artifact that has been interpreted by some as electrical technology in the ancient world, but probably was not.
Speaker 2: Right, and so the author here not Von Donican sums up quote because prehistoric pictorial depictions and even early written descriptions are sometimes indistinct or vague, and perhaps more important, because they are part of a different culture and have a context not immediately apparent to those who do not explore further. You can see or read anything you want into them, just as you can with ink blots. And so he refers to this elsewhere in the book as the ink block principle, which I think is a good way of thinking about avidence of this nature.
Speaker 3: Now, one way in which I would distinguish this example from many of the others is that this example does not seem as within the image itself as degraded in quality or vague to me, at least in the like the illustrations I see from books. It looks like, you know, we get a pretty clear picture of what the artwork, whether at least the outlines and the artwork we're supposed to be. But you're still, even though the picture is fairly sharp, in the low information zone, because you don't have the context, the background knowledge to place what you're looking at within its cultural milieu.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, we just don't have the symbolic language at our disposal to necessarily look at this and understand what's taking place. And again, I think this is not something that is unique to ancient Egyptian religious imagery. I think you could apply this to various other examples of even contemporary religious imagery, where if you if you don't know what you're looking at, yeah, you're not going to understand the message of it, like what is being theologically relayed in this image, and you have to fall back on either just like again, a very literal interpretation of what you're looking at, or dragging in some sort of other belief system or some sort of other mode of understanding which may or may not involve aliens.
Speaker 3: Another thing that I'm struck is sort of the general principle of thinking behind the Eric Vondanakan argument that Okay, they're working in the dark inside the pyramid chambers, and they wouldn't have been able to see what they were working on without leaving lampblack unless they had light bulbs. That seems to be a general style of argument used by like ancient aliens people. I mean, the same thing is said about the construction of the pyramids. More generally, it's like, I can't see how they could have done this, therefore it must have been aliens with advanced technology. That is a really poor way to reason. Instead, you could start by saying, like, well, what if instead of invoking entities that would radically reshape our way of thinking about the world and there is no independent evidence of what if? Instead of that, we think that maybe they figured out a solution that you haven't thought of or you don't have awareness of.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Like I mean, you would it would be understandable if you didn't know about this whole adding salt to tortures or lights as a way to decrease lampblack There's so many things like that in life that would have been apparent or known to individuals who depended on lamp technology or fire based illumination technology as opposed to the mode we're familiar with and the mode that we then potentially read into these ancient images.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I would just say be careful about making the move of I can't understand how someone could have done X two. Therefore they must have relied upon powers that are extraordinary and we have no other independent evidence of.
Speaker 2: I'm reminded of various time travel movies that we've discussed or looked at on weird House cinema where you have some sort of time traveler from the past going into the future and they are and they may not be time traveling, perhaps they're frozen, etc. You know. Well, a man out of time wakes up and they're trying to understand our advanced contemporary technology. They might look at a TV and they're like they shrunk a person down and put him in a tiny box, you know, And this is often played up for comedy. But it's not that different from the sort of you know, you know what you can consider ridiculous analysis of past technology, where instead of you know, leaning on you know, the actual context of the thing and what they're capable of, you're going to this extreme model that you can't possibly explain with any degree of accuracy.
Speaker 3: That's an amazing analogy. Actually, we are the unfrozen caveman lawyer in reverse when we look at the ancient world. You know, so he up and says, I am but a simple cave man. When I get into an airplane, I think is this some giant bird? But we are doing the same thing. We look at an ancient inscription and say, when I look at an inscription of a bird, I think is this an attack helicopter?
Speaker 2: Exactly? All right, well, that's perfect. I think we have to leave it at that. I think that that puts a nice cap on it. But you know, were perfectly happy to continue talking about this particular topic or this sort of thing in general, if nothing else in future listener Mail episodes. So write in let us know what your thoughts are on egyptology, alternative egyptology and so forth, or just in general, if there are other examples of this sort of data, this sort of imagery, etc. That you know is difficult for the average modern viewer to understand and then lends itself well to some sort of paranormal or alternative or conspiracy explanation. Just a reminder that Stuff to Will Your Mind's episodes published on Tuesdays and Thursdays, and the Stuff to Blow your Mind podcast feed. We have listener mail on Monday, short form artifactor, Monster Fact on Wednesdays, and on Fridays, we set aside most serious concerns to just talk about a weird film on Weird House Cinema.
Speaker 3: Huge thanks to our excellent audio producer JJ Posway. If you would like to get in touch with us with feedback on this episode or any other, to suggest a topic for the future, or just to say hello, you can email us at contact at stuff to Blow your Mind dot com.
Speaker 1: Stuff to Blow Your Mind is production of iHeartRadio. For more podcasts from My Heart Radio, visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows.