Speaker 1: You are listening to the Dan Patrick Show on Fox Sports Radio.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, baby, Dan Patrick Show here Fox Sports Radio. LeVar Arrington, Brady Quinn, Jonas Knox with you in for DP and the guys here. You can hear us before the Dan Patrick Show Monday through Friday six to nine am Eastern Time three to six am Pacific time right here on Fox Sports Radio and.
Speaker 3: As always on the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 2: So we will be carrying you along here on this football Friday all the way up until noon Eastern time today. So lots of football to talk about, not quite it was a football game.
Speaker 3: Is a lot to talk about. A great defense, as far would say, right, I'll know, I don't know, man, No, that's not great defense. I gotta tell you, guys, I really didn't feel really good about Can I ask this question before you start on the football part of it?
Speaker 4: Because Var and I were together yesterday and there was speculation about why Jonas and Lee. I mean, we kind of know why Lee miss yesterday, but we weren't exactly sure why Jonas missed yesterday. The speculation was given the after Christmas discounts and how frugal Jonas is that he wanted to take time off to go Christmas shopping after Christmas, since that's that's typically his move. Anytime he can find a deal, he can he can find some way of cheaping out.
Speaker 3: That's what he'll do. Yeah, they was the shop.
Speaker 5: They said, catch the specials, the mark down specials at the dollar store.
Speaker 3: Is that true?
Speaker 2: Well, no, you catch him at the regular grocery store because any candy, holiday item whatever, you go through the Dale, it used to be the Dale Old bread rack used to be what it was called when they were getting rid of stuff. So it's always off to the side of the supermarket. So when you walk over there, Oh yeah, everything is slashed and dashed. I just picked up a fourth of July banner for twenty two cents.
Speaker 6: You get two cents for the brand new pristine the Independence Day folks, it was the hole wasn't off the fireworks that like a little poppers into the air, just like you know, change it around a little bit called New Year's Eve that you always.
Speaker 3: Say your family, lets us off your round though, right, Oh.
Speaker 5: Yeah, you know that works, Cali. Yeah, they definitely do things a little differently around here.
Speaker 3: Yeah they do. They're looking vernye excuse to light off? Fireworks? What fireworks? What's going on?
Speaker 5: Oh no, I thought y'all was having family dinner, you know, because you off of each other's sandwich and stuff like that. By the way, Brady Lee got a haircut. I mean Lee's hair is gone. He looks like an altar boy. He does. He looks like he's missing his robe. Oh god, he shaved it. Dude, looks like I don't know, man, I want to say, he looks like he's like.
Speaker 3: Clean, don't I don't know. Are saying the mullet's dirty?
Speaker 5: No, no, not clean, as in, like your mullet was dirty. Like you're clean? Yeah, Like like you like total game change. Yeah, like you've like taken control of your life. Like you look like you could be like a responsible adult right now. It kind of scares me a little bit. I don't know who I'm looking at. I don't know what I'm looking at right now.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I don't like it. We speculated you were just drunk, so that's why you want to take the day off. So well, not that I would take it off because of that, but did that. Yeah? Sure, there there you go. Okay, all right, I mean, so are we two for two?
Speaker 7: There?
Speaker 3: Is that fair to say? Pretty close?
Speaker 8: Like Lee was easy, Mina, it took a little bit, but.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean two byes that is kind of crazy. Man like, man, I don't know, that's kind of that's almost that's that's a that's an effort, which would have been a more of an effort than.
Speaker 3: What we saw on the crime.
Speaker 5: I mean that was and I picked Chicago to win our money line Chicago, and I was like, this is the perfect game for them, the money line. Let me tell you something. They better be glad this isn't a longer season because they could have ruined.
Speaker 3: And maybe they have I don't know, but they are on.
Speaker 5: The fringe of ruining Caleb Williams in one season. In one season, well white wait for two one they almost get it.
Speaker 3: Looks like they've almost gotten it done in one season.
Speaker 4: Okay, hold on, hold on, hold on. Now that we're here, I've gotta I've gotta pose a question. And by the way, do you remember that when this team was four and two with the chance to bat down a hail Mary to go to five and two. Yes, and instead they've lost straight since that moment, But it was fresh off of bye. Yeah, I digress. You made a statement saying in one year's time, they're gonna wreck Killer one. Has this one year in Chicago been worse than Bryce Young's experience last year in Carolina?
Speaker 5: Oh, it's close. I'm not gonna say it is. I will say this. I think the world expected way more from Caleb Williams, which means that in totality, this is worse because it's a different I think it's a different scenario. You look at Caleb Williams versus Bryce Young, It's like Bryce Young is in Carolina, He's undersize, like you see him come out.
Speaker 3: It's like, can this little dude do it?
Speaker 5: You know the Carolina Panthers, they were going through some things. I just think that the Chicago bears the market, the history of the organization, how much fanfare was surrounding Caleb Williams and all of the hype. I think, in totality, this is way worse. I think this is way worse because we are met, We are witnessing a can't miss generational talent. Compared to Patrick Mahomes go down like it's bad, it's not good.
Speaker 3: What's funny about.
Speaker 2: It is all the jokes that bears fans and people in the media were making about oh my god, they fleeced Carolina on that trade and this and that and look at what they got, and Carolina right now picks after them in the draft. So bad, They're so terrible, and I think it's worse from this standpoint. There were expectations going into the year that hey, listen, they've added pieces around him.
Speaker 3: Hold on, hold on.
Speaker 4: You had expectations going into the year, but we didn't have four wins. Yes, I thought four wins was very came really, but yes, we didn't have expect for four and thirteen. I mean, that's eventually where they're headed, right. They gotta play the Bay next week. Yeah, they're gonna lose.
Speaker 3: I'm just saying we we didn't have expectations. You thought they'd be a wild card playoff? You did? Hold on?
Speaker 8: Okay, did you think there would be a four win team?
Speaker 3: Really? Yes, that's it, But I certainly did think. I find that hard to believe.
Speaker 2: I don't think I think you thought they were going to be a fringe seven to ten football team.
Speaker 3: Not me, not me.
Speaker 5: Who don't put that on me, well, whatever it is, put that evil on me. I did not think they were going to be good. That is for certain, now what their win totals was, because they stink and I thought they were going to stink.
Speaker 3: I just I didn't put a win total. I don't know that I put a win seven.
Speaker 4: Still a long departure from your playoff prediction before the season for the Bears.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, but you guys had them not going to the postseason, that's correct.
Speaker 3: Did you have them this bad? Yes?
Speaker 2: I I okay, Well I didn't, and I don't think a lot.
Speaker 8: Of people had them this bad.
Speaker 4: Well, you're a Bears fan, though, and you still like admitting it to everyone air Well, I mean, listen, we're not gonna, you know, take pot shots here and everybody.
Speaker 3: We're not doing it. We're not taking pot shots.
Speaker 4: We're just trying to like be open with our audience and demonstrate the fact there's some bias there. You had high hopes. You're a Chicago fan, you love the Cubs, you love the Bears. There it is, and it's out there for the public to know.
Speaker 5: You're gonna do it again come next season. Problem, You're gonna do it. Absolutely, You're going to do it again next season. I've been getting kicked in the nuts by them for forty years.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and you must like it. Can we talk about though?
Speaker 4: One of the most alarming things that I'd be concerned with, okay, is in this grand scheme.
Speaker 3: Of what the hell was going on with the Chicago Bears.
Speaker 4: And there's all these reports and discussions about who they're head coaching candidate, candidates are, who's making that decision? You hear fans, you know, chanting sell the team.
Speaker 3: At last night.
Speaker 4: This is as big give a dumpster fire as there is in the NFL, if we're being honest with ourselves, because at every single level you have an aptitude from whether it's the McCaskey family, they can't figure out how to build a stadium if it to me, Arlington or whatever. And so that starts at ownership. It then goes to Kevin Warren. You look at the roster. I don't think the roster's that bad. Whoever, their offensive line needed improvement. They really they kind of try to address it, but not wholeheartedly the way they should have.
Speaker 3: That's still a big time struggle. The decision to.
Speaker 4: Fire Matt Eberflus, which has done nothing, absolutely nothing for this team, of course, and then you hire or you elevate Thomas Brown into a position where like, I'm not going to take shots at him because he's got almost zero experience being in this position. So if you if you're out there and you want to hammer him for his decision making last night in the final, you know, under three minutes go ahead, that's fine.
Speaker 3: You have every right to do so that's your opinion. Horrible, but it was horrible.
Speaker 4: It was That was some of the worst clock management I have ever seen. And it was shocking to think that you have coached in the NFL and that is not one of your priorities and understanding. You get a big gain when you're in a two minute drive or end of games, so you take the timeout. It takes so much time to get your group to line up. How about the play calling in the final moments. All you needed was a fueld goal to tie, and instead you're trying to drop back and take thirty yards shots down field. And then on top of that, you have zero plan for a blitz, zero plan for blitzero every single time it hit. I mean, Mike McDonald's gonna be laughing. This is a joke. And this is like high school Harry stuff where we line up and basically whenever we want to bring pressure, it is it takes a miracle, which it took a miracle for Caleb Williams to get that throw off the DJ Moore just to get a first down. Yeah, but like the timeout after a stop clock at that moment of it, I mean the whole entire thing, the decision to a fourth and inches not go for it.
Speaker 3: Then you sit there and get a five.
Speaker 4: Year penalty to back you up, and then you take a time out and then decide to come back out and go for it like it was for the for the NFL, for that level of football, it was the worst clock management I can recall since the start of the millennium.
Speaker 2: By the way, Thomas Brown became offensive coordinator and then head coach in the span of like eighteen days, like they looked like they just, well, Okay, we've gotta get Rishane Waldron, will ellate elevate him, got to get rid of Matt Eberflus.
Speaker 3: Well we'll just elevate him again.
Speaker 2: He's used to this sort of transitioning and he's been trying to figure this whole thing out, and they've.
Speaker 3: Gotten worse, Like they're worse and without even the water.
Speaker 5: That's why you I mean, when you when you break it down the way that you guys just broke it down and presented the way you guys just presented it. If I'm Pete Carroll, why wouldn't I take advantage of this opportunity. You're You're exposed, You're vulnerable, you're embarrassed. I just don't think that there there cannot be any more major slip ups or mistakes made by the decision making body of of this organization. I just don't think that that Warren or Poles one or the other. And it could be more warn the more I'm thinking about it, maybe it's not as much Poles, but I would assume either either way, Poles is screwed, if if, if Warren is screwed. I don't I don't know how that works, but you gotta believe. As bad as this is and as bad as that was last evening, and they showed Warren, they showed those guys sitting in the in the sweets, looking all comfortable and dressed in their nice suits and all that, and I'm like, how could man, I be there in a sweatsuit?
Speaker 3: That sweatsuit might have holes in it.
Speaker 5: I'm gonna have like a towel around my neck, you know what I mean, with some Chuck Taylor's on. I'm not trying to look like I'm living good right now, because this product does not say that I should be maintaining that type of image. I should be in war mode. He should have had some pain. He should have had eye paint on his face, some tape around his fingers, chewing, some gum, standing up, pacing back and forth. You can't look smooth and you can't look comfortable if that's the product that is coming on your watch. This is on their watch, and this is bad. It's super bad. I'm sitting there watching that joint and I'm like, dude, this is d do straight.
Speaker 3: Up two scoops ad.
Speaker 5: You can't just be comfortable sitting there like that something. I mean, unless ownership is like, hey, you know, this is our business model. We're meeting our business model. I don't know what that business model would be and what it would consist of, but you can't be sitting there feeling comfortable. If you're a decision maker and you brought in a generational talent at quarterback thinking that he was going to change the whatever was going on in Chicago, and this is where he's at.
Speaker 3: He's almost damn there ruined.
Speaker 5: He's almost gunshot, he's almost gun shy in the behind.
Speaker 3: He I mean, he made more mistakes.
Speaker 5: And more you know, more things going on based off of how much pressure he felt at times, more so than the pressure that was really getting to him. That's bad. That's bad, man. You're trying to ruin the dude. You might have ruined him in one season.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 2: That's kind of where too, Like if everyone can acknowledge, you watch the game, you go, oh, yeah, offensive line is an issue. Well yeah, like that's been the problem there for a long ass time, Like, offensive line has been an issue for a long time there in Chicago. And I kind of posed the question to you, guys, Hey, if if Joe Alt was available in the first round with that second pick that they used on Roma Dunza, would they have taken an offensive lineman or would they have gotten the fancy wide receiver there?
Speaker 8: And the point you made was, well, Olu was.
Speaker 2: Available and they didn't take him, So what makes you think they would have taken Joe Alt? At like this entire setup and the way that this whole thing is done. And what's bizarre about it is Ryan Poles was an offensive lineman like he would like you would think that that would be a priority for him, and it hasn't been. They've nickeled and dimed the offensive line and used mid round picks, or they've signed one year deal, like they signed a guy from Buffalo who once he got there, they realized, oh, he's got like an arthritic condition in his shoulder, and they signed him to a one year deal. They've done patchwork work on the offensive line on the interior, and then they're looking around going, god, we can't protect the guy. Well, I don't know, Like what do you think maybe invest in that side of the ball or maybe make that a priority and they haven't for years.
Speaker 3: I think the other thing, too, is again scheme wise.
Speaker 4: So if you don't have the ability to protect a quarterback with your five offensive linemen, you've got to adjust. You have to start running more seven man protections, bring in your tight end, bring in a running back, you know, run more gap protections where you're not asking, you know, the offensive line to have to win a lot of one on one battles. And if that's not the case, get the ball out of his hand quick, you know, and I understand that's been kind of part of their offense. There's been more Deacon dunking and some more screens, but you're trying to mix in some different elements and even try to find some different ways of sprinting him out more instead of just allowing him to have to sprint out when they bring an all out pressure.
Speaker 3: There's ways around that. Because here's the.
Speaker 4: NFL, it's a copy cat league. They are going to continue to keep bringing pressure time and time again until you prove you can beat it. And if you can't, one or two things are gonna happen, or I should say both of these things are gonna happen.
Speaker 3: You're gonna lose.
Speaker 4: You're you're gonna get beat because you're gonna keep forcing him to have to run backwards to then throw down the field and he's gonna get hurt eventually. Caleb Williams is gonna get hurt for one of these hits, one of these plays. It's just a matter of time when they keep subjecting him to that.
Speaker 2: You want to hear a little Caleb Williams, Little Williams being asked, you want me to do it he want me to do to sound that we might have to dump it.
Speaker 8: He was asked about.
Speaker 3: You punk mother, do you know what's out and done to many? Ruin me. I just want to come out here.
Speaker 4: And at what point do you know, is is it like if the fingernail painting stuff, if that stops, like is that when we know it's like changed.
Speaker 8: I think it's already stopped.
Speaker 5: His hair was in this curl. Either it's going a little bit straight.
Speaker 3: I mean, I'm just.
Speaker 4: Saying that he's got a completely different look.
Speaker 3: Next year he comes out looking hard, just like rough, you know, he was asked. He was asked about the he's wearing car heart.
Speaker 4: It's like just bringing his He's got his hard hat, lunch and pale.
Speaker 2: This year, he was asked about the booze in Chicago. Fans not happy. This is a response.
Speaker 9: Yeah, I've only been here for you know, it's my first year, so uh, you know, their frustrations, you know, go way longer back than you know then I've been here. My job is to uh you know, go out there and win games, and we don't focus on outside noise. The fans are you know, they're gonna cheer and and and maybe boos sometimes and you know.
Speaker 3: You you you you can't.
Speaker 9: React to that. It's not something that you know, we we react to. We have a job to do, and you know, you don't do so well on the job some days, and some days you you know, you're you're you're pretty consistent. Some days you you.
Speaker 2: Know, you play a great game.
Speaker 9: So you know, I think today was was one of those games that you know, I think we played two sides of the ball today pretty well, special teams and uh defense, and then you know, offense, we didn't play well. There was miscues, there was stupid sacks that I was taking. I would definitely take the you know, the heat for this one.
Speaker 3: Gotta be better.
Speaker 8: So he did say let me.
Speaker 2: One of the reports that came out before he got into the NFL was that he wanted stake and ownership and if there are channing sell the team, I mean, is it too late for that?
Speaker 8: Can he get a piece of this and maybe build the offensive line?
Speaker 5: You want to know the way he could try to get it? How can he do about using his rapid radio? Hell out, all you gotta do is hit that button and you'll get that push to talk Walkie talkie and listen. It has national lt coverage for clear connection. If you're going to use it and hit that one button, so listen at the touch of it, that's right, that button. You'll get great communication from a great device. It's great for your kids. We use them here on the show, and if you want to use them, all you gotta do is visit rappid radios dot com now and for up to sixty percent off and free shipping if you do so.
Speaker 3: All right, there you go, there you go.
Speaker 5: Hey, hey, Caleb, you know you wanted to sit there and say I wanted to boo too. I'm new to the town, but I felt like, hey, if I could have joined them in the stands, I would have been there booing as well.
Speaker 3: I mean, boo you for picking me.
Speaker 2: Hey, listen, there's a great hot dog cart out in front of Soldier Field.
Speaker 3: Have that.
Speaker 2: That was the only one that you want to get. That's all you got. I get yourself a Chicago dog because the winds are hard to come up.
Speaker 3: Why do you talk like you eat those You.
Speaker 8: Don't eat those Chicago dogs?
Speaker 3: Oh man, come on, please, buddy, when's the last time you actually ate food? Last night?
Speaker 2: And we'll go what time what did we have? We had had neck? We had what what kind of neck was it? Grilled chicken breast? There you go, we had had.
Speaker 3: And before that, when was the last time you ate?
Speaker 8: Actually before that? I had prime rib.
Speaker 3: The night before? Yeah, I did you? Yeah, yeah, night before. I didn't ware to god, prime rib the night before. How many meals do you to, dad Johannas one and a half? Maybe one? Yeah? Maybe one? Yeah. But we're supposed to believe you got to.
Speaker 4: Chicago and all of a sudden you turn into the type of guy that eats a Chicago.
Speaker 8: Dog him and Carlos Chicago dogs right in front of the.
Speaker 3: Set, just because you know it doesn't mean you eat it. Come on, I was there in August.
Speaker 4: I had one that's like me talking about Primanny Brothers in Pittsburgh, Right, I do. I used to eat it, but I don't. I don't go to Pittsburgh and just go to Primanny Brothers.
Speaker 2: Lamar said the danger, which is solid, like he's had it there, and they said, what you mean, let you put that on?
Speaker 3: Take us a break.
Speaker 1: Be sure to catch the live edition of The Dan Patrick Show week days at nine am Eastern six am Pacific on Fox Sports Radio in the iHeartRadio wapp.
Speaker 7: Hey Steve Covino and I'm Rich Dave and together We're Covino and Rich on Fox Sports Radio. You could catch us weekdays from five to seven pm Eastern two to four Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and of course the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 3: Why should you listen to Covino and Rich.
Speaker 7: We talk about everything life, sports, relationships, what's going on in the world. We have a lot of fun talking about the stories behind the stories in the world of sports and pop culture, stories that well other shows don't seem to have the time to discuss. And the fact that we've been friends for the last twenty years and still work together. I mean that says something, right.
Speaker 3: So check us out.
Speaker 7: We like to get you involved too, take your phone calls, chop it up. As they say, I'd say, the most interactive show on Fox Sports Radio, maybe the most interactive show on planetar. Be sure to check out Covino and Rich live on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio app from five to seven pm Eastern two to four Pacific, And if you miss any of the live show, just search Covino and Rich wherever you get your podcasts and of course on social media that's Covino and rich.
Speaker 3: Joinas.
Speaker 4: Did you notice how Lebron said that, you know, Christmas Day is the end?
Speaker 5: Oh yeah, even though he loves the NFL, so he made it a direct shot at the NFL.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Do you think any of the Christmas Day games for the NBA will surpass?
Speaker 3: Was it? Twenty four million? Was the average audience?
Speaker 8: Probably not? Yeah, I'm gonna go with probably not.
Speaker 3: I mean, will it Will it do half those numbers? Probably not? Probably not?
Speaker 8: It Just like, I don't know why they can't just.
Speaker 2: Be honest about the situation and stop getting so and look, I know that you know, ESPN's got a vested interest in it, and there's other people that have vested in vested interest.
Speaker 3: In the NBA.
Speaker 2: They want it to work, they want it to be successful, and they just cram it down your throats at all hours of the day, and god forbid anybody speak out and say, look, the product stinks, it's not the same as it was. The games are competitive. You've put a premium on the playoffs, so why should we watch.
Speaker 3: The regular season?
Speaker 2: Like you can't do that or else you just labeled a hater, but then they take it upon themselves after they win a Christmas game and one and Lebron wants to make it a point that yeah, this is our day.
Speaker 3: This okay.
Speaker 8: Yeah, Well, like the numbers say different.
Speaker 3: So yeah, do you want the total numbers? Yeah, it was twenty four right.
Speaker 4: So it's it's a little difficult to measure because you're talking about a streaming platform as opposed to you know, broadcast television or cable television. Right, because the metrics for like streaming, a lot of times they'll look at, for example, how many people tune in for at least one minute. So sixty five million US viewers tuned in for at least one minute of the two NFL games. Sixty five million people, all right. The average during both games was north of twenty four million. Twenty four point three for the ball you know, Ravens Texans, twenty four point one for Kansas City Pittsburgh, which is crazy considering, you know, both games are blowouts.
Speaker 3: And this is according to Nielsen, who does all of this.
Speaker 4: The NBA's five slate averaged about five point two five million, and that's across ABC, PIAN those platforms.
Speaker 3: So there you go.
Speaker 2: I mean, but it's their day, Like, no, don't anybody step on our toes here, it is our day.
Speaker 5: It's like I said, I think, I think what the purpose of that was is to one hundred percent identify and and rally the troops that truly truly support the NBA. I mean, you even get a couple of trolls on on your social media that talk about every time we say the NBA doesn't matter, you know, he has something to say. I think that it is. There are some people that are very very keen on how the NBA works and their involvement in the NBA. And while it's not as large a market, you know, as as it would be for the NFL. I think Lebron James saying that he's still sending out like that kind of that's sick to everybody who does really really support basketball and is really into the NBA. I think he sent that as like that's their rally crowd, Like, let me make sure that y'all know from Lebron James. That wasn't somebody else that could have been any of all the other new emerging stars in the league to have said something to that effect. It was Lebron James that did it, you know, and I thought the timing of it and the positioning of the way he did it, he was doing there was certainly an agenda connected to him doing that, and I don't think that it was in any way shape form based upon him thinking that the NBA ratings are competitive to the NFL. I think he's just rallying his troops, rallying the NBA troops to say, yeah, you know what, he's right. And maybe I don't even like the NFL all like that. Maybe I'm just all about the NBA.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 5: I'm just here to tell y'all the NBA is not as relevant. It's not even close to as relevant as the NFL. It's just not in terms of viewership and relevance.
Speaker 3: It's just not. It is what I think the.
Speaker 4: Tough part too, is the NBA players have so much power, and if you look at the decline in ratings, and if we're being honest with ourselves, there is just a much part of it as anyone else. The decision for load management and and to take games off. The impact that I think it's had not only on ratings, probably on just even casual fans, fans that want to go to games and then have to worry about, Hey, I'm taking my little Timmy to the game, and guess what Lebron's not plying he's out tonight and not finding out about that till you get to the game, right, and he's his favorite player, and you know, who knows how much more Lebron's gonna play, and you don't have the opportunity to go see him play, like all those things that you really don't see in the NFL until maybe week eighteen, right, or our guy gets shut down due to injury. I mean, just in comparison and comparing between the two sports. And I understand it's a bit of an apples and or which is because the physicality of football versus the NBA. But even in that discussion, part of how the NBA game is played now is a byproduct of things that NBA players should probably be pushing for. Bring back hand checking, bring back more physicality to the game, just so we get a little more defense, a little more something else to this game that makes it more attractive for viewers instead of four guys standing around the three point line and just kicking out from an open layup to try to shoot a three. I mean, they don't take responsibility for why they are where they are, and joining the super teams where you guys all get together and have three superstars on one squad to try to win championships. Like, all those things amongst others.
Speaker 3: Are some of the realities of why they are where they are.
Speaker 4: And you know, Jonas, we've talked about this for a long time about moving the schedule and saying like like why try to compete with the NFL now that the NFL seems like they're going to continue to keep putting games on Christmas.
Speaker 3: I mean, it originally was more.
Speaker 4: Of a thought of you know, hey, it's just on the day of the week that Christmas falls. Well, now it's on a Wednesday, right, And the NFL is like, yeah, we're comfortable throwing a couple of games there. And we found a suitor or a partner in Netflix who's gonna pas us a bunch of money too for it, So why not, right, It's good for our partnership, good for our business. Moving forward, And so next year, what does it fall on a Thursday?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 4: Yeah, well yeah, yeah, you can expect to have some NFL games on that Thursday too. Moving forward, that are going to absolutely dwarf anything the NBA does. But if the players don't take accountability for why they are where they are, and they don't try to circle together and go to the NBA owners and be like, look, you know, we're obviously getting paid, we feel good about where we're at, but not necessarily with the leagues at like, let's try to make this right, let's try to fix this. I don't know that there's any players who are really champing for that, rooting for that, And that's the hard part is like it's only going to get worse. I don't think it's going to get better based on the current product unless they want to take ownership of it and try to be the change.
Speaker 2: They've figured out in the NFL's figured out a way to market or brand or present their product differently.
Speaker 3: And better than the NBA has.
Speaker 2: And it kind of reminds me of the UFC in boxing, where man, look, I love boxing and I grew up a diehard boxing fan. It's not even close the presentation and what they've done between the UFC and boxing, it's not even close. Like it's it's in another level, like the excitement, the energy, how it's packaged, the way they the way they bring you the product there, the way they're able to promote it on social media, the way boxing is like, well, no, this guy can't fight this guy because he's got a promoter here, and this guy can't fight this guy, and no, no, no, no, we have a contract here.
Speaker 8: I can't get out of.
Speaker 2: No. If you do that, you're going to lose your belt because you haven't defended it. And it's just too many different things going on to where it's hard to keep track up man, Like it's hard to know. Okay, so who's playing what? Like you've got five games on Christmas and the end of a like I look at it and I go, there's just a better way to streamline it to the audience and to present a better product and a better league. And they haven't been able to figure it out, and the NFL just continues to capitalize on And we've talked about our show. It's not like the Christmas games were good, Like both those games were blowout. It's like a lot of games in the NFL have been non competitive, especially lately when teams realize they're out of it. Yet people watch it and they prefer that over the NBA and the NBA should take notes and be like, how can we do this better and differently? And instead they're like, Oh, let's put together an NBA Cup and we'll give out a trophy and we'll have a celebration in Vegas that nobody wants to go to afterwards, even if.
Speaker 3: They want it.
Speaker 8: Nobody cares. Dude, you're not fixing anything.
Speaker 3: Did Levarn Did you say? I mean, it's kind of a participation trophy.
Speaker 4: It's like getting guys to play during the regular season and games that are I don't know, I mean they're meaningful at the end of the season, maybe not necessarily so much in the middle.
Speaker 3: But it's honestly, in a way like.
Speaker 4: A participation trophy, like thanks for playing during the regular season in this in season tournament.
Speaker 5: Right, because guys don't want to play, right, guys do want to maintain their health and the load management aspect of it. It's trying to find that balance of playing enough basketball where you can be relevant as a superstar player, relevant enough to keep your team good enough and being contention for the playoffs and being healthy enough to make a run when it gets down to crunch time at the end of the season and in the playoffs. That's what I truly believe is is what the NBA and what the NBA players are always trying to figure out, and that play in tournament was just one way of saying, Okay, instead of waiting until it gets to crunch time at the end of the season and you guys start picking up your play and playing more, let's create a play in tournament so we'll see more of the guys, give them incentives, so we'll see more of the guys that wouldn't be necessarily playing as much during this duration of time due to load management and injury preservation and all that stuff, that they're going to actually come out and play. I ultimately say, the reason why it's going to be difficult for any other sport to ever have any more relevance than what it does and catching up to the National Football League or even college football at that is because of the amount of games, and you guys have touched on every point, right, Like the amount of games says to me to a sports fan, an average sports fan, I'm not getting dowed in to college basketball or the NBA until it gets closer to March Madness, until it gets closer to the playoffs and then once the playoffs get here, and which, for what it's worth, I kind of feel that way about the NFL. But at least I know that more often than not, you get to certain points in the game, they're racing for the divisional crown, they're racing for the number one seed. Like those things happen early on, early.
Speaker 3: On in the year.
Speaker 5: Get out to a fast start, so so you're you're facing you know, injuries or whatever it may be. Mid season, you can still have time to try to regroup and make it back into a number one seed or make it into a wildcard position. The storylines are way more intensified because there's less there's less games, there's less opportunities for for for failing, for for messing up, for blowing it off. You just you're just not going to see football players sitting out games. It just doesn't happen. If you're sitting out a game, it's not load management unless it's you're going into the last game of the year, and that's even a debate, and.
Speaker 3: If you do, you get shamed for it.
Speaker 5: Come on, man, I just think that it's just a different mentality, it's a different which it's a different way of looking at things, and for what it's worth, when I look at basketball, you're always going to fight the idea of relevance during times where the sport just doesn't boast the.
Speaker 3: Level of intensity of needing to win.
Speaker 5: What team right now in the NBA needs to win right now, and we're a little ways in now, We're in there a little bit. But I'm not looking at any of these teams like, oh, this team is at five hundred right now, they're in bad shape. Or this team is a whole lot of games above five hundred and well it's risky for them to be here right now, or they're safe and where they're at, no, they're not safe. They could slide. They can have a tremendous epic slide and end up being in a totally different position by the end of the season. So I just think that there's just no way of really creating that sense of urgency and these other sports because they play so many more games.
Speaker 2: The Pelicans have the worst record in the NBA. They're five and twenty six and still can make the playoffs.
Speaker 3: They might win a title.
Speaker 2: I know the and the Saints are five and ten, so it is good that your football team and your basketball game of the same number of wins.
Speaker 5: Yeah, but that five loss for the Saints is way different than the five wins for you know, or five wins for Saints is way different than.
Speaker 3: Those five losses for the Depelicans.
Speaker 5: Could still turn their season round right now, as crazy as that sounds, with that that crappy ass record that they have, they can in some ways still turn their season around.
Speaker 3: It's possible. Yeah, there's a plan, you know, you guy's possible.
Speaker 5: So like you have that record, you have a record anywhere comparable to a bad record in football, and you're out of it, like you're out of it, and you know you're out of it, and your fan base knows you're out of it.
Speaker 3: That's all I'm saying.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Fox Sports Radio has the best sports talk lineup in the nation. Catch all of our shows at Foxsports Radio dot com and with in the iHeartRadio app search fs R to listen live.
Speaker 2: Now, what about this, because I'm wondering whether or not you guys are going to be the next to UH to go online with this. Deshaun Jackson is apparently about set or I don't think if it's finalized yet, but they are working on a deal to finalize him as the brand new head coach at Delaware State.
Speaker 3: So yeah, let's go. Its good. Yeah, this is the this is the new friend. I love this, man.
Speaker 4: I love the fact that there's a lot of former players who are getting opportunities to coach.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 4: I mean, look in saying that, that's if the organization, whether it be a university, whether it be a professional you know, team, they have to give them time. Like if you're gonna make that decision to bring in a guy who's never been there before, you have to understand he's got a completely different perspective. He's he's gonna come at, you know, at you from some different angles that you're probably not accustomed to.
Speaker 3: Or he's not he's gonna be unaware of a lot of.
Speaker 4: The duties responsibility sometimes so as long as there's patience to go along with it. But I love that. I love that for DeShawn Jackson, love that for Delaware State. Those players. I just I've met so many former players that they're in different you know, jobs or careers. At this point, I'm thinking, man, they'd be a great coach. And I think there's a lot of deterrence to want to become a coach sometimes and sometimes it's the track to get there, the long hours, to sacrifice everything else.
Speaker 3: That's a part of that.
Speaker 4: And I understand there's a lot of listeners who are like, well, should they have to so yeah, to a degree, but they also have.
Speaker 3: A PhD in football.
Speaker 4: Shawn Jackson played for a long time, was really successful, so it's maybe not in that respect, you know, maybe as far from the administrative standpoint, maybe there's something there, but I don't know. I love that from Mike Vick when I heard the news. I love it for DeShawn Jackson. I wish, you know, more universities and schools would take on the fact that there's a lot of really smart former football players out there that are trying to get involved in coaching, impacting young men. And I don't know, I just I love hearing that. I love hearing when universities take the opportunity to take that risk, obviously because there's a risk.
Speaker 3: That comes along with it.
Speaker 4: Sure, but to turn the keys over to a former player, I mean, Lavoy, I know you've coached, and everyone's got the own reasons for.
Speaker 3: Doing it or not doing it. But like you phoned that category.
Speaker 5: Man, I mean, I feel like now we can do everything we want to do and still coach.
Speaker 3: So why not think about it?
Speaker 5: Right? We could still do radio and do shows and not you know, not have to choose.
Speaker 3: Is that what you're gonna do? Do that three am wake up call?
Speaker 5: I mean I'll say this, I'll say this cute we do this show and I when I do the show out of State College, I am the only one in the building. Yeah, I am the only one in the building. And midway through our last hours when I start to see life come into the building. So if I'm only thirty minutes, it's off. You know, I'm just saying I got the rest of my day and we could make the schedule.
Speaker 3: I mean, let's think about it. Let's talk about it. You know.
Speaker 5: I think you and I should think about this, and like I said, we'll make Jonas like ours.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, that's about you. Yeah, I'm roping you.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I'm rope I think you need to be the GM and I need to be the coach. That's what I think, GM and coach and we'll do it that way.
Speaker 3: What's Jonah's gonna do?
Speaker 5: So Jonas would be the designated because he's he's good at this, he's got a background in it. He would lead up ticket sales, all right, we put him as the person that leads up ticket sales. And and Lee, we would have Lee that we'd have Lee head up the sanitary you know crew, the sanitation crew that that takes care of. No, no, I don't want Lee being involved. Yeah, I want Lee to make sure that the bathrooms are clean and and like all the locker room.
Speaker 3: Make sure that the locker room.
Speaker 5: Yeah, make sure the locker rooms are clean, all that good stuff. But you know, I think that would be good if he led that, led that division.
Speaker 3: And then we can we often we out, we on the we on the roll.
Speaker 1: We on a roll.
Speaker 3: Now, like, let's go with it. I'm okay with that. You know, it's interesting.
Speaker 5: I did want to coach at the college level at one point I thought about I thought about going to Arizona State when when Ap left for Arizona State, Like, I thought about it. You know, I thought about it a couple of times. I thought about going with with coach locks at one point in time. So you know, I loved coaching. But one thing, I will say one thing I will say is if you take coaching seriously, there is a lot that goes especially at the college and high school level. I don't know so much about pro I'm not really privy to it that way, but just being a part of it in terms of how how I've been a part of, you know, development at the college level and at the high school level, there's just as much, if not more emotional emotional work that you have to put in and be ready for. And that generally is round the clock. So if you're you're talking about you know, schematics and different things like that x's and o's. That was something that I was really really like into. It's funny. I was looking at a picture of me and Urban doing doing we were drawing up plays in the avocado room at FS one, and and just that was something that I could do all day long, is just listen and interact with a coach of his his caliber and us draw up plays and and look at like what schematically, what what this does? What it means? You know, how does that impact you know, coverage, how does this pool this player there, whatever, so on and so forth. I really enjoy that as a coach and as a player. I just think people eff it up all the time. There's two people that eff it up, administrators eff it up and parents. Those are the two entities as to why I left football. I don't like administrators. I think they get in the way. So if you don't, if you don't find yourself in a good situation where the people that are making decisions aren't aren't supportive, and aren't on board with what you want to do, that is it's a waste of time and parents and parents are probably number one. I hate to say it, but parents are number one. I don't like parents. Would you rather be an NFL or college coach? Honestly, you have more things you have to do at the college level. But I would love to be a college coach more than a pro coach because I think there's still more of a humanistic side to being a coach. And I mean it's probably.
Speaker 3: Because because they're still developing. Is that I think so?
Speaker 5: I think so because I'm more I'm more into it that way than then it's just cutting dry. This is your job, you do it like. I don't like having to feel that way.
Speaker 4: I think the other thing that is appealing because of that, And I think look, Nil, you know gets the uh I don't know, probably the wrong. I don't know if it's a connotation to it, but like people think because Nil.
Speaker 3: Has infiltrated college football.
Speaker 4: That like everyone's turned in the pros and all these kids are are jerks and it's all about money. Look, it probably is for the top, you know, two three percent. I mean, the rest of some of these kids, especially a big schools, is gonna make money. But there's a huge part of them being where they are because of things outside of football, like the education, the the alumni, the experience, the the networking, the whatever's gonna happen after football's done. So I do think that's a cool part to hear you say that because the majority, the large majority of college football players aren't going pro, right, Like I figure out what the exact percentage is, A three percent and something like that, but whatever the number is, there's a large portion that aren't, and so you are coaching into them things that they need to worry about as a father, as a dad, as a business owner, as an employee, like whatever the case is. It's all those lessons that the game teaches you that you're trying to share with them. So I get that. That's and again that's why I get excited when I see like Deshaun Jackson or I see Mike Vig and just from knowing Mike a little bit from Fox like man like that, that's a guy that has so many life experiences that he can share with young people who are still trying to figure it out and hopefully, you know, be able to get in touch with them in a way that leads them down a path where they can avoid some of the things. I mean, look as a father now, like I've got four kids, I'm already have a fifth coming up here, and I can tell you right now, my six year old daughter is the type that unfortunately she just has to make mistakes like she has.
Speaker 3: She's just I've.
Speaker 4: Tried my best at this point in time of her life, and hopefully I can get it out of her. But I try to get it to realize, like she doesn't need to touch the stove that's hot when Dad tells her it's hot, But she's the type that needs to do.
Speaker 3: That because she wants to know how hot does hot mean?
Speaker 5: She wants to trust in what your level because I was im That's who I was. It's like, don't touch it, it's hot, you'll get burnt. But really, will it burn me or would it just burn you?
Speaker 3: Right?
Speaker 5: Is it hot enough to burn you and not hot enough to burn me? Or is this hot?
Speaker 3: Really? Like? Oh yeah, like I touch it? Like that is hot? Now I get appreciate it. Now I get that for me.
Speaker 4: I'm gonna have you just talked to her on speakerphone then from now on so I'm gonna call you probably five times a day to have to talk my six year old off the ledge of whatever decision she's about ready to make.
Speaker 3: But the whole point is like, obviously.
Speaker 4: If if whoever it is, you know, former player guys like Mike Vic, like DeShawn Jackson, when they can you know, speak into these guys' lives like it could be life changing.
Speaker 5: It is life changing. Listen, I'll say this. I just sent man man to Penn State yesterday. We just dropped him off to go to Penn State and get you know, get going with the team yesterday. And that was that was an earth moving experience to know that that's what he grew up around.
Speaker 3: I've coached, I coached pretty much his.
Speaker 5: Entire life, whether it was under Armour games, whether it was doing the under Armour camps, coaching at Long Beach, Polleague, coaching at Maranatha, coaching at Charter Oak. I've coached his entire life and the one thing that was always important was the development, the growth of belief, the development the growth of understanding self confidence, self worth, you know, being accountable, learning accountability. You know, one thing that you find to be very challenging is is that a lot of young young men these days don't even understand and what accountability really represents, and then what self accountability you know, what it truly represents, and just have an opportunity to be a part of that growth and that understanding and illuminating moments. I think you're one hundred percent right, Que, because I think if a guy can't you know, part of me getting back in shape into to the audience out there that doesn't know this, I was like obtes, I was like super fat and fat, my face, fat, my belly, just overweight, and I started.
Speaker 3: You always do this, that's so over the top.
Speaker 5: The reason we're not fat, the reason why I went back into my legs, Why.
Speaker 8: The reason he's the mom from what Ted Gilbert Crape, Why.
Speaker 3: I'm not that big. We had to burn the house down. Was not that big. You were never as big as you always.
Speaker 5: Think that big super It was almost three hundred pounds. Man, it was almost three hundred pounds. Like I was like five ten pounds away from from three hundred. That's big as hell. That's like I'm on my way to two forty five, two thirty eight.
Speaker 3: So I'm on my way too.
Speaker 5: And and part of the reason why I went on that journey to get myself back in shape is because I still have great relationships with guys at Penn State and guys that are in high school, and I can't be walking around them being fat and out of shape and not taking care of myself and telling them about self accountability and and doing things the right way and making sure that you you handle you know your your health and your nutrition. It's like they're looking at me like you're not doing it. You don't do it. And that was a lot and on God, that is a large part, a large reason. And thanks to PhD weight loss doctor. By the way I took that journey, I knew this was coming. I took that journey.
Speaker 3: A lee.
Speaker 8: There's your life spot man.
Speaker 3: You're saful. This was going. It's the truth though. I mean, you do look great. Thank you, yeah, thank you. Go shoot me too, all right, thank you,