Speaker 1: You're listening to Comedy Central.
Speaker 2: From the most trusted journalists at Comedy Central is America's only source for news. This is the Daily Trunk with your host Jordan Clever.
Speaker 3: Look the Daily jo I am Jordan Clemmer. We got so much to talk about tonight. Trump gets morning for the performing arts, Russia and Ukraine agreed to couple's therapy, and things are finally looking up.
Speaker 4: For the measles. You know. Congrats, guys.
Speaker 3: So let's get into another installment of the Second Coming of Donald J.
Speaker 4: Trump.
Speaker 5: I'm in a common.
Speaker 3: Let's start with the big news from Donald Trump's cabinet.
Speaker 4: Robert F.
Speaker 3: Kennedy, Junior, Trump's nominee for Health secretary and guy currently fighting a vulture for his lunch, has been officially confirmed.
Speaker 4: Now I know, I know.
Speaker 3: They said it couldn't be done. Excuse me, they said it shouldn't be done. But now it has happened. So you can now add employment to the list of things he's tested positive for. But let's move on to a big development in the war in Ukraine. Remember during the campaign, Donald Trump made some big promises about how quickly and easily he was going to end that war if.
Speaker 6: I'm president, I will have that war settled in one day, twenty four hours.
Speaker 4: I would tell Putin gotta settle. I would tell Zelenski, you gotta settle.
Speaker 6: I would get a settlement in twenty four hours, no longer than one day.
Speaker 7: I can get it ended.
Speaker 6: As president elect, I will get it settled before I even become president.
Speaker 4: I'm gonna do it.
Speaker 3: Back to the future and end this war before it even starts. Go back in time, kiss my mom, maybe have sex with her.
Speaker 4: What am I talking about?
Speaker 1: What was I talking about?
Speaker 3: So here we are one month into that first twenty four hours, and Donald Trump is finally ready to negotiate. But it's gonna be tough, which is why he started out with a quick warm up negotiation. First, an old fashioned prisoner swap with Russia.
Speaker 4: Let's see how it went.
Speaker 8: Russia freed a wrongfully detained American teacher, Mark Vogel, returning to the US after more than three years in Russian captivity, imprisoned for carrying a small amount of medically prescribed marijuana, in exchange, the US releasing Russian cyber crime kingpin Alexander Vinnick.
Speaker 5: What you traded a cybercrime Kingpin for public school teacher Mark Fogel. This is like if the Dallas Mavericks traded Luka Doncic for public school teacher Mark Fogel. I mean, at least the teacher we got back is.
Speaker 3: The cool teacher. He smokes weed and he's been to jail. I mean, you know, you know, he's showing movies in fourth period. Also, Americans, stop smoking weed in Russia. If you need to relax, try not being in Russia. Okay, Okay, Now that Trump got all warmed up, it's time for the main event.
Speaker 8: This morning, President Trump pledging to meet with Russian President Putin in person after announcing they've agreed to start negotiations immediately to end the war in Ukraine.
Speaker 9: President Trump saying, quote, I just had a lengthy and highly productive phone call with President Vladimir Putin of Russia. We discussed Ukraine, the Middle East, energy, artificial intelligence, the power of the dollar, and various other subjects.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'd like to know what those various other sub were.
Speaker 4: I mean, it's tad suspicious.
Speaker 3: It's like a husband coming back from a Vegas bachelor party saying, yeah, we ate some great food. We saw the sphere did various other things. Anyway, you should get a prescription for valtrex. So Trump has now set the stage for face to face negotiations with Putin on the future of Ukraine. But Trump won't be going into this alone. He also has Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth, a man who does not take no for an answer, according to police reports. So get ready Putin, because you're about to face the toughest negotiations of your life.
Speaker 8: Pete Hegseth, speaking at NATO headquarters during his first trip to Europe, was blunt, saying Ukraine's long sought membership in NATO isn't realistic. Neither is thinking Ukraine can regain all the territory Russia has seized.
Speaker 10: We must start by recognizing that returning to Ukraine's pre twenty fourteen borders is an unrealistic.
Speaker 8: Objective, measures that will likely be welcomed by Putin, prompting questions about whether Trump is giving up his leverage to negotiate with Russia.
Speaker 11: Speaking in unusually blunt terms, the German Defense minister accusing the Trump administration of making concessions to Putin before these peace negotiations have even begun.
Speaker 3: Okay, so before negotiations even start, America gave up the two things Russia most wants. I mean, I'll do Hageseth and Trump not know how to negotiate between the two of them. They've been divorced ninety seven times. I mean, if your opening move is giving away the house, the car, and the kids, best case scenario, you're leaving court with half of a golden retriever.
Speaker 4: I mean, no one's.
Speaker 3: Gonna be happy with that, except for maybe RFK Junior. But I guess there's still plenty of stuff to negotiate. For example, you know which animal will Zelenski be fed to once the Russians take over.
Speaker 4: Probably a lion, but could be a shark. You know there's room there.
Speaker 3: Whichever animal it is, you'll probably fall out of a window.
Speaker 4: Regardless.
Speaker 3: Trump is not gonna go driving a hard bargain on Ukraine's behalf, and that's fine. But as long as Ukraine is an equal member of this peace process, they'll get some of what they want. Do you hear Ukraine as an equal member of this peace process?
Speaker 6: That's an interesting question, yight.
Speaker 3: That's like when my dentist asked if I flaws, It's an interesting question.
Speaker 1: I gotta go.
Speaker 3: Okay, So this is not looking good for Ukraine. Imagine not even being invited to your own peace negotiations. It's like if your wife told you she wanted a threesome and then asked what night you'll be away on business?
Speaker 4: Have so much fun. I'm strong enough for this. It's okay. I had it coming after Vegas.
Speaker 3: You might think it's unfair to put Ukraine in this position after they were the ones invaded, but that's not exactly how Trump sees things.
Speaker 4: I think they have to make peace.
Speaker 6: That people are being killed, and I think they have to make peace. I said that was not a good war to go into.
Speaker 4: Not a good war to go into. They were invaded.
Speaker 3: It wasn't their IDEA little advice for the back of Abraham Lincoln's head, don't get hit by a bullet.
Speaker 4: Not smart, uck. Sure, clearly this is going to.
Speaker 3: Be a complex negotiation, and it couldn't have come at a worse time for Trump because he's also busy with his second job. Last week, he declared himself the chairman of Washington's Kennedy Center for the Arts, the government's premier arts institution. And if you're thinking, wait, Trump is completely unqualified to think about art. Don't worry, he brought along an equally unqualified board to help him out.
Speaker 12: He was elected by a board that he recently shook up, replacing appointees by Democratic presidents with Trump loyalists. As for the board, it now includes Attorney General Pambondi, Second Lady Usha Van's chief of staffed Susie Wiles, Deputy chief of staff, Dan Scamino, Allison Lettnik, who's the e Commerce secretary's wife.
Speaker 4: Okay, first of all, what's up with this vote? Oh? You need a headshot of mister Scavino.
Speaker 3: Unfortunately, the only picture that exists of him is from when he walked in.
Speaker 4: On his parents' bumping uglies.
Speaker 3: But hey, Donald Trump loves arts entertainment, and you can hear his genuine passion in a phone call he had with the board.
Speaker 6: I think we're going to do something very special. It got very wogi and some people were not happy with it, and some people reputed to go. And we're not gonna have that. We're gonna have something that would be very very exciting, and we'll do things both physically and then every other way to make the building look even better. I think We're gonna make it hot, and we made the president of the hot so they could be.
Speaker 4: Hot. Only Trump would look at a building and go yeah. Performing art centers have gotten.
Speaker 3: Very woky, like that theater that kicked out Lauren Bobert forgiven one little tug job blocking it over the khaki jack sashion out In my America, you were Trump, though, no more woke theater only plays written by straight men like Tennessee Williams. Damn Its so close. Okay, So what.
Speaker 4: Will Trump's new role mean for the Kennedy Center.
Speaker 3: We have The Daily Show just got our hands on an exclusive look at what we can expect. The Kennedy Center, America's most prestigious home for the highest.
Speaker 4: Arts, is about to get hot.
Speaker 7: Sign up now for an old new season designed by Chairman Broom screw off twinkletoes, because oh, ballet will now be done. Five holes answers talk about us, Nutcracker, and join us for our cinema series featuring every movie where a babe climbs out of a pool. Donald Nike and you bet your ass will have culture better culture like Hamilton but with white people. Are Raisin in the Sun but with white people and shen Yun but with white people plus will award the Mark Twain Prize to Michael Richards, but not for Siginfeld for his and you know what, And next fall we'll have an evening with Joni Mitchell boxing Jake Pool. So come to the hot new Kennedy Center where even the building is hot. That's right, we gave it for boobs, not just too like what the Donald Trump Kennedy Center and casino. We got your culture right here, Arthur Miller.
Speaker 4: Arthur Miller, we come back. Josh Jackson ruins the most important meal of the day.
Speaker 3: Don't go away, Welcome back to the Daily Show. Donald Trump's campaigned on lowering egg prices, but he's been president for almost fourteen years now, and eggs just hit their highest price yet, which raises the question, how are New Yorkers handling the expense. Josh Judson hit the streets to find out.
Speaker 10: Humpty Dumpty, what used to be a wholesome tale about the fragility of the human condition now serves as a stark reminder of the rising costs of means. Today, I'm talking with a group that consumes most of the eggs in the United States. People to see how they are dealing with egg flation? Can we afford another take?
Speaker 4: Egg flation? Is it affecting you right now?
Speaker 7: I am being affected by it right now because my grandmother up in the Bronx is complaining how eggs is too high in this absurd I.
Speaker 4: Might go on to egg strike through their prices.
Speaker 9: I know that right now.
Speaker 4: They're like eight not yeah, yeah, yeah, say I might have to turn vegan.
Speaker 13: Man, really now, I'm just kidding, you're kidding, Yes, vegans are a child. How many eggs would you say the average person goes.
Speaker 4: Through in a week.
Speaker 8: I can't imagine more than a dozen in a week for one singular person.
Speaker 1: Eighteen for me?
Speaker 4: Maybe eighteen eighteen eggs.
Speaker 1: That must be nice to afford.
Speaker 4: I can't afford it. Oh, you're just balling like that. Okay, abundant mindset. So I feel like.
Speaker 13: With the with the very little resistance you've had to the whole like inflation of these eggs.
Speaker 4: Are you like an air to an egg fortune?
Speaker 8: Well, we are from.
Speaker 13: Texas, Okay, that makes Sense're from Texas and they hate when you waist eggs, whether they're from chickens or humans. Yes, yeah, Is there anything you're backing off of so you can still afford the eggs.
Speaker 4: We back it off.
Speaker 1: Okay, except dolio, we take it that.
Speaker 13: What was the last amount that you paid for like a dozen.
Speaker 4: Eggs, like fifteen dollars? What price do you think you stop eating eggs entirely if it goes to twenty dollars? Okay? I would just have to quit eggs entirely.
Speaker 13: Okay, So twenty dollars eggs, that's your stopping point means nineteen we're still nineteen.
Speaker 4: We were still in the gate. Damn. People are willing to go higher than I thought.
Speaker 1: I smell an opportunity.
Speaker 13: So if like some guy was selling eggs and he was selling them for like, you know, maybe even what do you mean.
Speaker 4: Some guy like on the side of the roads. You mean, if I had an egg right here, right now?
Speaker 1: How much you're paying for this guy?
Speaker 4: But this is not an enticing egg situation. These folks clearly didn't understand the value of what.
Speaker 14: I was holding.
Speaker 13: So I went to a professional who would appreciate the opportunity in front of them. I'm looking to do some business today, and I brought a lot of inventory.
Speaker 3: What is it?
Speaker 4: It's eggs? Man? I'm trying to sell them some eggs. I can't take eggs. Look, do you want to buy anything? Or I do? I do? I do?
Speaker 13: Okay, So I'll take Nintendo Switch, I'll take two Swich, one MacBook Pro and give me a bunch of bracelets and I'll give you like three dozen.
Speaker 12: All right, thanks for Kevin.
Speaker 4: Look at this.
Speaker 13: Regret regret that guy wouldn't have a good deal of it, flashed him in a trench coke.
Speaker 4: Time to take my product to the high rollers? Hi, how are you doing? I'm fine? How are you? I'm doing well.
Speaker 13: I'm looking to get something appraised, okay, so I'm very excited about it.
Speaker 14: So usually we're working more with diamonds, jemstones, precious metals.
Speaker 13: I'll tell you right now on the street, these are going the eggs.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think an egg. This is at least like four care.
Speaker 4: I am going to just kindly ask you to please leave.
Speaker 13: Okay, I'm gonna go because it feels like you pressed a button or something and like somebody's coming but missing out. Good luck crushes metals, prescious eggs. No buyers yet, but once work it's around the streets, I'm sure I'll become pretty popular and the Yolk will be on the.
Speaker 4: Thank you Josh.
Speaker 3: When we come back, Brady Korbey will rejoining me on the show.
Speaker 4: They'll go, well, welcome back to the Daily Show.
Speaker 3: My guest tonight is a writer and director who's filmed The Brutalist is currently up for ten Oscar nominations. Please welcome Brady Corbey.
Speaker 4: Welcome Brandy. I loved it. I loved The Brutalist. I really did.
Speaker 3: I thought it's what a beautiful piece of art.
Speaker 1: Thank you so much. I'm very grateful for that.
Speaker 4: Thank you.
Speaker 3: Here's the thing that also I love I When I start talking to people about The Brutalist, more of it than not. People come up to me like, did you know laslow tav The main character is not a real.
Speaker 4: Person, Like there seems to be a confusion.
Speaker 3: A lot of people think that it's based on a real Brutalist architect, and I can't tell whether that's a compliment for the world building that you do or just a commentary on American ignorance.
Speaker 4: It's probably a little bit of both.
Speaker 15: Yeah, yeah, I mean the character is an amalgamation of a lot of, you know, real historical figures like Marcel Broyer Mes, vanderroh Lochholynidge, and many others.
Speaker 14: I'm so, should you know, evoke a real person. I think that's a positive thing.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, when you started creating this, this story, what was the no, what was the thing that got you interested?
Speaker 1: You know, in all seriousness?
Speaker 14: During Trump's first term, before we had a brief intermetso.
Speaker 4: I'm talking about a billion years ago.
Speaker 14: There, he had a mandate that was that was called you know, uh, make federalists buildings beautiful again.
Speaker 1: It's creative.
Speaker 15: Uh.
Speaker 14: And you know it's interesting that seventy five years you know, on you know, since the term brutalism was coined, it's still so divisive and it's it's interesting because for me, I really feel that post war psychology and post wars you know, architecture are intrinsically linked, and you know this film is that's what it's mostly concerned with.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Well, I mean you connected also to the story, like the immigrant experience, right. I mean one of the most evocative moments is that first shot, which is sort of someone coming forth upon Als Island and the Statue of Liberty. Right, how do you tie for somebody who doesn't I mean i'm as experts in brutalist architecture, how.
Speaker 4: Would you tie for the lay person? How like how a brutalist.
Speaker 3: Architecture is connected to sort of the immigrant experience and what that says about sort of an American experience.
Speaker 14: Well, you know, listen, the Baohause was shut down by the Nazis in the mid nineteen thirties. It was predominantly Central and Eastern European Jewish architects and designers that were studying there, and so you know, the mid century design, you know, it mostly came from immigrant architect and and of course there was a response to a lot of those buildings and those monuments, which was.
Speaker 1: Hyper critical.
Speaker 14: And because the style of architecture was so unfamiliar, you know, communities wanted it torn down and they wanted their new neighbors thrown out.
Speaker 3: Now there's it's it's interesting this film. There's so many wonderful performances in it. There's a scene that really stuck with me. There's a scene when Adrian Brody gets off the train and he sees his cousin for the first time, and his cousin lets him know that.
Speaker 4: His wife is still alive, and they they embrace.
Speaker 3: And the whole scene is shot so so so close, and there's so much physicality between the two of them. They're touching each other's face the whole time. It's it's so intimate and real and emotional, and frankly, I'd never seen such a physical, intimate scene contextualize something like that. I'm like, curious, how do you direct something like was the physicality and the closiness intentional in.
Speaker 4: Your direction there? How are you working with actors and something like that?
Speaker 14: Yeah, I mean listen, I mean it's two brilliant performers in that scene, Alessandro Davola and Adrian Brody. And the screenplays are very, you know, precise, mostly because they have to be. The film was shot in thirty three days, and because the film was one hundred and seventy pages long, it wasn't you know, that much time. And so you know, we don't storyboard, mostly because I don't want to adhere too closely to a cartoon, but I.
Speaker 1: Want to show up to a space, respond to it.
Speaker 14: See what you know, the light is doing, what the performers you're doing, And you know, I just told them I think it would be extremely moving if the two of you are very, very, very physical and very intimate together. Because you know, when you see your uncle or your father, you know, the patriot, when they when they cry, it's like devas.
Speaker 1: You just feel shattered by it because you see it so infrequently.
Speaker 14: So I just thought to see these two, you know, men approaching middle age sort of being that, you know, letting their guard down, especially in the late nineteen forties because they just can't help themselves because they've missed each other so much.
Speaker 1: I thought it was quite quite beautiful.
Speaker 3: Is treated an audition the actors for most of the actors for their roles.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's true.
Speaker 14: You know, I grew up as a performer for years, and I'm sure you've been in this position at some point, you know in your career, where you're preparing thirteen pages of dialogue.
Speaker 4: They usually give me the one or two lights.
Speaker 3: I could just sip this pepsi and say this one, we'll see if you're right for the role.
Speaker 14: Yeah, well, you know, well, but I always think about you know, you know, dozens and dozens of people's lives that are affected by preparing this material. And usually in the first fifteen or twenty seconds they walk in the room, you know whether or not they're right for the role. So I never I want to be respectful of everyone's time, and I only ask people to read more material than that if it's really on the fly, like we're doing a cold reading together, if it's especially with kids, you know who like you know, kids don't have a prior body of work for you to reference, so you know, that process is a bit more significant.
Speaker 1: But but you usually know.
Speaker 14: After a page or two of dialogue, you know, at a maximum, and in general I just avoid it altogether.
Speaker 1: We just you know, make offers to actors we like, yeah yeah.
Speaker 4: Or maybe people you've met for the first time and have sort of rapport.
Speaker 1: With, Oh yeah, path.
Speaker 4: So absolutely it happens. You made this movie.
Speaker 3: I mean, this movie is up for ten Academy Award nominations, including Best Picture.
Speaker 4: Best Director, Best Screenplay, and rightfully, so it just.
Speaker 3: It feels like a film. It's it's beautiful. You made it for ten million dollars, yeah, Like I most my understanding is to make a film that people go and see, you have to spend eighty million dollars to make something like that. But this is a massive hunk and film for ten million dollars, like, what are these other films doing wrong?
Speaker 4: Oh? I mean, listen.
Speaker 1: On the one hand, I'd like to just say it would have been nice to have more money.
Speaker 14: I don't want anyone to get any ideas like, oh, well they did that for ten million dollars, so let's try for nine on the next one.
Speaker 4: You know, I think that it's.
Speaker 1: Really just due to our collaborators.
Speaker 14: I mean, my production designer, Judy Becker is an iconic designer behind Broke Back Mountain, Carol, I'm not there. My cinematographer Little Crawley and I have worked together for over a decade. We have a shorthand and most scenes are shot and you know, one or two shots. I mean, it's shot like a nineteen fifties melodrama, so it's mostly mediums and masters, And where you lose time is setting up a shot. It's not shooting a shot. Shooting a shot takes as long as the scene takes five minutes. So, you know, I prefer to schedule things in a way where we're doing one thing very well over and over again, as opposed to thirteen things poorly.
Speaker 1: And you know, I think that that we had really great partners on this producorially as well. That just really.
Speaker 14: Understood, you know, what the pillars of the film were and where we could compromise, and really understood where we couldn't. The film was shot on a large format that was engineered in the nineteen fifties called VistaVision, which is it's essentially what it does is instead of the film being pulled through the gate vertically, it's turned horizontally, so you get more nag area out of a regular thirty five milimeter stock.
Speaker 4: And you know, it's not like I knew what you were talking about, but I.
Speaker 3: Realized that was I'm sure that'll probably be cut out. Yeah that's yeah, Oh yeah, totally totally classic nineteen fiftiest division.
Speaker 4: I was surprised when I got here and I was the only guest.
Speaker 1: I was like assumed I was the second or third guest.
Speaker 4: And this is why you want to get more about this division. Tell me NUSS Architecture.
Speaker 15: Your poor audience was like expecting Oriana Grande.
Speaker 4: We could never book carrylis that. You know what, It's funny you joke about this and it is true. Is this movie.
Speaker 3: I will say I say this, I truly, I truly love this film. I hope you have nothing but success at the Academy Awards. On paper, nobody sees this film. Right, Sure, it's three hours and it's three and a half.
Speaker 1: Yes, three hours and thirty five.
Speaker 4: There's an intermission in it.
Speaker 3: It's about brutalist architecture made for under ten million dollars.
Speaker 4: Right, It's a great pitch. It's a great pitch shot on this.
Speaker 3: Division inspired by nineteen fifties melodramatic cinema. This up against the latest Marvel movie is a tough pitch. But I would say what is fascinating is like the experience. It feels like such an experience to go to it. We had Francis Ford couple on this show and he talked about his most recent film, and he really wanted to inventize film. It's like so many people are watching this at home now and going to see it in the theater, experience an intermission with people at the theater, hearing people talk about it as they're getting popcorn, using the rest root like it's changing. It feels different than watching at home. It feels different than watching just a regular hour and a half Marvel film. Do you do you think there's there might be some trend towards things that are a little bit longer that that intermissions might be something that I.
Speaker 1: Mean, listen, and it wasn't that long ago.
Speaker 14: You know, in the nineteen seventies, movies like Midnight Cowboy were commercially viable, and I really hope that we get back to that. Our industry changed for a lot of reasons, partially because of streaming, partially because of COVID, partially because of the strikes, you know, and I understand why companies are more risk averse than ever. However, if you look at the crop of nominees this year, you know, they're really radical, strange films. They're strange propositions, which I think should signal for everyone that audiences do want daring, original, provocative films.
Speaker 4: And I, you know, I think I think it's very.
Speaker 1: I'm glad you agree. I you know, I I I really uh, you know.
Speaker 14: I I respect audiences and I believe that audiences, you know, are are really really clever, and they're more clever than ever because there's so much information out there about how movies are made, and there's an awareness of.
Speaker 1: The post production process and visual effects, et cetera.
Speaker 14: So you know, They're really savvy, and I think it's important that we treat them with respect.
Speaker 4: Awesome, Well, couldn't be better, said the Brutalist, is everywhere, greative corvette. We're gonna take a quick break right back after Jofre and I die.
Speaker 5: It is Bob, then the initials the Munich Security Conference.
Speaker 1: Which starts tomorrow.
Speaker 4: Is there beer? Absolutely? I fought worst. Absolutely a potato salad. Yes, yes, you know I want to go to the Hofbra House in Munich. Episode. You know, I studied in Germany as a student, so I'm asking.
Speaker 2: Explore more shows from the Daily Show podcast universe by searching The Daily Show wherever you get your podcasts. Watch The Daily Show week nights at eleven ten Central on Comedy Central, and stream full episodes anytime on Paramount plus
Speaker 4: Paramount Podcasts