Speaker 1: You are listening to the Dan Patrick Show on Fox Sports Radio Final Hour.
Speaker 2: On this Thursday, ten days away from the Super Bowl. Seaton on the road in New Orleans. He'll join us coming up. He's on the road with the French Kid in the Maco van. Most cars on the road could use a little TLC. At Maco. They bring your car back to life. Affordable paint joms like collision repairs. Get a free estimate today, Oh better get Maco eight seven seven to three DP. Show operator Tyler sitting by those watching on Peacock, thank you for downloading the app. Fritzie in the back row along with Dylan who's sitting in for Seaton and Marv Paully. Yours truly all right? Our three pole question Dylan?
Speaker 3: All right, then we're gonna go off roading a little bit here. Something we talked about earlier, what subjects should they stop doing documentaries on? OJ Simpson, Aaron Hernandez, Biggie and Tupac or other Because there's a new OJ docuseriies out and I kind of think they covered it.
Speaker 2: But I was told if you think you know everything about the OJ Simpson trial situation life, think again that I think it's a three part series documentary on OJ Simpson. I don't really care anymore. I know that there was you know, it was poorly handled from the prosecution side, But I don't know what hasn't come out in the last couple of decades here. You know, he killed two people, he got away with it, and what else is there to know?
Speaker 4: Yeah, Pauline, The new one is called American Manhunt OJ Simpson. It's by Netflix and it just was released.
Speaker 5: Okay.
Speaker 4: It says they have interviews with people on both sides of the case who had never done interviews before. No names are given.
Speaker 5: Great, all right.
Speaker 4: Yeah, back in the day, I used to hang at a bar that you and I had been to in the Burbank area, and I struck up a friendship with Kat o'kalon, who everyone knows from the O. J.
Speaker 6: Simpson case.
Speaker 5: And we kept in.
Speaker 4: Touch over the years and talked whenever I'd be out there, and I never ever spoke to him once about the OJ Simpson case. And he found that refreshing. And he says, the funny thing is people come up to me and meet me at airports and restaurants and they say, hey, real quick, tell me tell me something I didn't know, Tell me something and OJ and Kato always says, like I'm going to tell someone randomly the cheesecake factory. Well this is this is what I never told people for twenty five years.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I you know, you watched an unfold and OJ paid a lot of money to get the right people, and Johnny Cochrane did what you want your lawyer to do.
Speaker 5: They got him off. That's it I mean.
Speaker 2: And I look, I did the interview with OJ Simpson, uh after the fact, and he was still trying that case. He wanted to talk about that case because I was there to talk to him about football. Granted, bad decision on my part because nobody cared about OJ Simpson the football player after that trial. But I think I was playing USC in the Orange Bowl and I thought, you know what, maybe we should talk to OJ about football. And we talked for ninety minutes, I think, And that was the infamous exchange where we're changing tapes and the cameraman is going to put a new tape in, We're going to start the interview again, and OJ, out of nowhere goes, do you think I did it? And I said did what? Because I wanted him to tell me, and then he said, killed those people, and then I said yes, and then my cameraman goes, we're ready, and then we started. He started backing on football questions. And then he says to me, because you know.
Speaker 5: You don't know what my life is like. I go, I don't care what your life is like. Like I didn't care.
Speaker 2: He goes, I was in a hotel in Vegas and I walked by a room and they're shooting a porn and they go, come on, OJ, do you want to come in and be in the porn movie? I said, And like, wow, okay, that's crazy. Is that the worst thing that happened to you? Like, oh my god, delusional, scary, delusional, but not like his presence didn't like it didn't jump out at me. It didn't look like he could harm anybody. By then, I mean, he was kind of slunched, you know, slumped over, and he was not He's not OJ, yes, do me.
Speaker 3: I was just gonna say, if that's the worst thing that happens to you, I don't know if that's a good excuse for killing someone.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 2: No, But he's saying his life after the fact, you know, like, oh, yeah, oh yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, this was post when I interviewed him.
Speaker 6: Not good.
Speaker 2: Uh, look who's on the road. Smiley face doesn't have to sit next to Fritzy. Okay, Seaton is by a waffle house boy. That narrows it down in the South. We should be able to pick exactly where you are. Okay, Todd, where is Seaton right now?
Speaker 6: He is in Alpharetta, Georgia.
Speaker 5: Okay, Dylan.
Speaker 3: Somewhere outside Atlanta.
Speaker 5: Okay, Marvin, he's in Atlanta.
Speaker 4: All right, PAULI, I'll stay outside Oxford, Mississippi.
Speaker 5: I'm gonna say Greenville, South Carolina.
Speaker 7: We are on twenty West, somewhere between Atlanta and Birmingham, where we're going to next. Okay, yeah, so we're not too far outside of Atlanta, though.
Speaker 5: And he highlights that you would like to illuminate us on.
Speaker 7: Let's see, Well, yesterday was awesome. Charlotte is a great city. Yeah, that place was a lot of fun. I'd never been there before other than the airport, but charlott And is awesome. Greenville, South Carolina, what a place.
Speaker 8: That place is ran too.
Speaker 7: We were with Phil Collins yesterday. He's got real like Troy Aikman, vibes. Actually that guy, he's he's pretty cool. He's got a real troy and like he'll say something to you with a wink and you're like, God, I love this dude.
Speaker 8: But so far, yeah, so far, things are good.
Speaker 7: We're gonna get to Birmingham in about two hours or so if traffic starts to cooperate.
Speaker 8: A lot of traffic in Atlanta. Oh, I don't know if you remember that, Dan.
Speaker 5: Though, Oh yes I do, yes, oh yeah, oh yeah. A lot of traffic, yeah, a lot of traffic. Uh. And then are you going to set up shop in Birmingham?
Speaker 8: Where's going to Birmingham and stopping there?
Speaker 7: Then we're gonna We're supposed to end today in Gulfport, Elisia, Golfports, Mississippi. Yeah, uh yeah, golf Court either.
Speaker 8: Yeah, we should end up there today. I'm gonna try to stop by.
Speaker 7: I think we drive through Tuscaloosa, so might make a quick pit stop there. Fall sight seeing, yeah, well time, I'm gonna try not to do that commercial that you see all the time, high.
Speaker 8: Tide, high time.
Speaker 5: I stayed at a hotel in the Gulf Port.
Speaker 8: Yeah, yeah, yeah, I'm looking forward to that. I've never been there.
Speaker 7: I'm really really looking forward to getting there tonight, and then tomorrow we're onto New Orleans.
Speaker 5: I like it.
Speaker 4: Yes, Balie seeting on your way to Birmingham, you will pass right by the Talladega super Speedway, which is as Nascar as it gets.
Speaker 6: That's a great spot.
Speaker 9: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I don't know if they'll let you get the bad boy on the track, but if you can take some hot laps.
Speaker 5: That'd be nice to get you a van out there.
Speaker 8: Oh, that'd be awesome. That's a great idea. That's a great idea.
Speaker 7: I know when you start to look at the map, you can just sort of like pinpoint all of these things, like I really want to go to Jackston. I really want you know, there's Oxford isn't too far away, but you know on the map it's this far and then you're like, oh no that's four hours.
Speaker 8: Aye, dang.
Speaker 5: All right, Well we'll talk to you tomorrow. Save travels.
Speaker 8: Yeah, look forward to seeing you guys.
Speaker 2: That seat O'Connor on the road with the French Kid somewhere outside of Atlanta. I remember Smyrna. When I lived in Atlanta, somebody lived in Smyrna and I was like Smyrna Alfaretta. Back then, Alfaretta was all form like horse country. Now crazy developed out there, all right. Uh Bill Belichick was on the uh Let's Go podcast with Jim greg and uh Bill was talking about the Super Bowl Trophy.
Speaker 10: Players win games. You can't win games without good players. I don't care who the coach is, it's impossible. You can't win without good players. I mean it's you know, it's Brady, it's McGinnis, it's Rabel, it's Bruski, it's Corey Dillon, it's Randy Moss, Troy Brown, Lawyer Malloy, ty Law, Rodney Harrison. Those are guys that won the games.
Speaker 9: Man.
Speaker 10: I didn't make any tackles. I didn't make any kicks. That was Vintari that made that kick in four inches of snow. You got to have good players. They don't name it the Star Trophy. It's named Littlembardi Trophy.
Speaker 5: Maybe it's a name it the Brady Trophy. He wants seven of.
Speaker 2: Them, Okay, And Jim was you know he was bringing a bart Star, the Green Bay Packer quarterback. Yes, yes, it's named the Lombardi Trophy. And you know it sounded like that was off the cuff and Bill was having a little bit of fun. Then people picked up on it and said, you know, should they name the Super Bowl Trophy after Tom Brady? And the answer is no, no, And they still call it the Larry O'Brien Trophy in the NBA. How about the MVP of the Super Bowl if you want to do something like that like the NBA did, Hey, here's the Larry Bird Trophy for the Eastern Conference MVP or Magic Johnson Western Conference MVP.
Speaker 5: Yes time, since I believe nineteen.
Speaker 6: Ninety, they referred to it as the Pete Rosella Ward.
Speaker 11: I don't know how much it's publicized, but the Super Bowl MVP Award is the Pete Rosella Award, and I don't know how long it's going to stay that way.
Speaker 6: If they would change their name for someone.
Speaker 5: Else, well I could see them doing it, but we don't have to. I don't know.
Speaker 2: Are we going to call it the Michael Jordan Trophy if you win the win the NBA Finals? But why are we taking Lombardi off the trophy? Yeah, he was instrumental in the beginning part of the NFL Super Bowl Super Bowl one and two. I think he won five NFL titles total, two Super Bowls.
Speaker 5: Leave on there. He didn't do anything, and Tom Brady, you want the MVP. Great, Yes, Marvin.
Speaker 12: Well, changing the name wouldn't be uncharted territory. The Larry O'Brien Trophy was renamed in nineteen eighty four. He used to be the Walter A. Brown title.
Speaker 2: He was another commissioner, correct, and then Larry O'Brien came in, but they didn't call it the d David Stern would never let him call it the David Stern Trophy.
Speaker 5: It never happened.
Speaker 4: Yes, Paul, I don't think I'm for naming the Super Bowl MVP after Tom Brady.
Speaker 6: He has five of them.
Speaker 4: I mean, there's a reason for it, and it would make a lot of sense, But eventually someone could have six and then you would almost by de facto, have to make it theirs.
Speaker 5: Yeah, but that would be a nice thing to watch the handoff.
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, literally, Tom would hand off the trophy and they have to take out his name and then put Patrick Mahomes on there.
Speaker 6: He'd be eighty, he'd be looking thirty.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, Tom's like Benjamin Button. He's getting younger and younger and younger. Looking he gets older, I get older, he looks younger.
Speaker 5: That's not fair.
Speaker 2: Here's a couple of things to keep your ear on. I'd say your eyes. But you're going to hear the following this week and next week. You know, Kellen Moore might be the leading candidate to be the Saints head coach. Okay, until somebody beats them. The Chiefs are still the best team in the NFL. The Super Bowl will be decided in the trenches. The Eagles will need a big game from Saquon Barklay. The Chiefs are very difficult to beat.
Speaker 5: In one score games.
Speaker 6: They really are.
Speaker 2: Pete Carroll may be old from an age standpoint, but he brings a youthful energy to the Raiders. Jimmy Butler and pat Ronnie should part ways in the near future. It's tough for small markets to keep up with the big spending Dodgers focs.
Speaker 5: Yes.
Speaker 4: Yes, If I were an NFL analyst and I was getting ready to do a take on air, I'd always lean towards you got to win the turnover me you got to because you're rarely wrong with that.
Speaker 2: Yes, most most times, when you win the turnover battle, you do win games. I'm going to guess, by the way, there was something that happened after the Eagles win and Nick Sirianni is at the press conference after the win against Washington, and he made sure that everybody heard that he was going to come implement Jalen Hurts.
Speaker 5: How about our quarterback?
Speaker 6: About you hop out our quarterback?
Speaker 12: Your quarterback, he's a stun he all just I knew he was gonna play that way.
Speaker 6: I knew it.
Speaker 5: Don't doubt him.
Speaker 6: All he does is win.
Speaker 2: Okay, so he's with Terry Bradshaw after the game. I want to make sure everybody knows because there was some friction between these two. Then Jalen Hurts goes to the press conference and here's the question and then his answer, and it stayed with me for the last couple of days.
Speaker 10: I need to get all that praise from coach postgame one to stay and what was it like playing for coach here on?
Speaker 13: Well, he he's done a great job.
Speaker 9: He's done a great job.
Speaker 6: Yes, he let me on my straight jacket a little bit today.
Speaker 2: Okay, if he said he took off the handcuffs, then I would I wouldn't even have thought anything but a street jacket, correct me if I'm wrong. I've never been in a straight jacket. But that's so you don't hurt yourself, right, like you can't do anything, but the street jacket is so you don't hurt yourself. Now, he's passing a lot less. He had one hundred fewer attempts this year, and he finally got to showcase, you know what he can do more running than passing. But you know, he had a really good game, great game. But you know he had a great quarterback rating this year, highest of his career.
Speaker 5: But it feels like.
Speaker 2: Nick Sirianni wants let everybody know that there's nothing to see here, keep moving, And Jalen Hurts made me think a little bit more like like he'll.
Speaker 5: Go he's done a great job.
Speaker 2: Like I mean, come on, if you have Sirianni's voice and Jalen Hurts and your complimenting each other, like if I said, hey, how about my wife, she's awesome and Gig is the best, and then you say to my wife, hey, what would you think of what Dan said?
Speaker 5: He's done a good job.
Speaker 12: Yes, Marvin, you took the words out of my mouth, because that was the part that got me more than anything where he was like, oh, what's it like paying for coach here? Yanni?
Speaker 2: And I don't know why it stayed with me, but it did. It was and I don't know Jalen Hurts. I think we've had him on the show once or twice, but still I don't. It feels like Saquon took all of the oxygen here and it's all about him, and it's not about Jalen Hurts. It's all about the defense. It's all about everybody but him. You know, the coach is getting credit. And then we meet, you know, yours truly, Hey, let me see him play big in a big game. Well, he played big in a big game. And I think he's tired of hearing that criticism. And that's why it's like, yeah, he finally took the straight jacket off, Paul.
Speaker 4: It also felt like an odd time to air that momentary frustration. This is as good of a days you could have. But like you said, it wasn't about him. He threw for sixty eight percent this year, Jalen Hurts. That's up eighteen touchdowns, five picks efficient. All his numbers were up except for attempts. I mean, if you go back to Troy Aikman. I'll bet you at twenty six years old twenty seven, Troy may have been frustrated to not be more of the focal point, but look how it worked out for him.
Speaker 2: Justin Herbert, his attempts were down in large part because you know, Jim Harball wanted to have a more run focused, concentrated game plan there. But it's winning. I mean that Patrick. Look at Patrick Mahomes. I mean that's a prime example of somebody who threw fifty touchdowns.
Speaker 5: Now if he.
Speaker 2: Gets to twenty seven thirty, he's probably thrilled because they're a defensive minded team, ball control, running the football. They don't have those explosive plays, but they're I don't think Mahomes is going to go yeah, nice that Andy Reid. Let me throw the ball a little bit more here. By the way, a member of our audience suggested, if the Chiefs win, we can work our way around the pat Ronnie three pete and call this the threed Pete, as in Andy.
Speaker 5: Reid threed Pete. Okay, what do you think, red Pete? Yeah? Yeah, Fritzy's jealous. Yeah, what do you think? Todd?
Speaker 12: Damn it?
Speaker 5: All right, that's what I thought.
Speaker 2: When we come back a little bit more reaction to the commissioner of the NBA with the forty minute game ten minute quarters.
Speaker 5: Oh was there?
Speaker 2: A lot of people had a lot of opinions about this. Our good buddy Jamal Crawford form an NBA player, We'll join us as well back after this.
Speaker 1: Fox Sports Radio has the best sports talk lineup in the nation. Catch all of our shows at foxsports Radio dot com and within the iHeartRadio app search fare to listen live.
Speaker 14: Hey, Steve Covino and I'm Rich David and together We're Covino and Rich on Fox Sports Radio.
Speaker 15: You could catch us weekdays from five to seven pm Eastern two to four Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and of course the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 14: Why should you listen to Covino and Rich.
Speaker 15: We talk about everything life, sports, relationships, what's going on in the world.
Speaker 14: We have a lot of fun talking about the stories behind the stories in the world of sports and pop culture, stories that well other shows don't seem to have the time to discuss.
Speaker 15: And the fact that we've been friends for the last twenty years and still work together, I mean that says something, right.
Speaker 14: So check us out We like to get you involved too, take your phone calls, chop it up. As they say, I'd say the most interactive show on Fox Sports Radio, maybe the most interactive show on planetar. Be sure to check out Covino and Rich live on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio app from five to seven pm Eastern two to four Pacific, And if you miss any of the live show, just search Covino and Rich wherever you get your podcasts, and of course on social media that's Covino and Rich.
Speaker 2: We'll talk to Jamal Crawford, former NBA player, former sixth Man of the Year, scored fifty points for four different teams in his nine years in the NBA. He'll join us. We ask him about what the commissioner said yesterday about maybe going from forty eight minutes to forty minutes.
Speaker 5: Uh. Tony in Vegas, Hi, Tony, hey.
Speaker 13: Man, Tony from Vegas five eight one eight eight. You know the biggest problem with the NBA is that they have emphasized the individual over the league. It's time to get back to the league being more important than the individual. That's why the NFL is so great. Yeah, great players, but then no one's better bigger than the shield. They need to reorganize and emphasize the visions. I'll love the NFL, So how.
Speaker 2: Do you suggest that they don't focus on names but teams teams. Yes, but people come to see players, they come to the stars, they come to see individuals. It's a very individual sport in a team setting.
Speaker 13: I understand that, but I'm saying they're not showing up because people are arresting. The way you get people off the bench is you reorganize these divisions all of the NFL, and then you adopt a point differential system per in season games per division. So these crossover games on Sundays, they shouldn't be getting more draw than the in division game during the week. I feel like the division game should be based on the points system. I'll love the EPL.
Speaker 5: Hey let the commissioner act on that.
Speaker 12: Yes, Martin, I disagree with Tony completely because the popularity of the NBA in the eighties was based off of individuals Bird versus Magic, Right, Obviously it was a part of Laker Celtics, but Bird and Magic. Kareem was already a big star, but he wasn't drawing ratings like that. When Magic and Bird came into the league. You push those guys, and then Michael took it to a different stratosphere.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think we focus on the Pistons being a team, probably more so than any of the other dynasties.
Speaker 9: It was.
Speaker 2: You know, the Spurs was about a team. We focused kind of on Tim Duncan. But people complained about that. I oh, nobody wants to watch the Spurs. All they do is win. I mean imagine saying that all they do is win. They played great basketball. It's a smart organization. You got a Hall of Fame coach, Tim Duncan, David Robinson, Tony Parker, Jenobli, but it it didn't create a buzz. That's why you need these individuals. That's what people are attracted to. They want to come out and see Anthony Edwards. They're not coming out to see Rudy Gobert. They're coming out to see or Dante DiVincenzo. They're coming out to see Anthony Edwards. You're coming out to see Lebron Still, you're coming out to see Steph. You're coming out to see KD. You're coming out to see Wemby.
Speaker 5: I don't know.
Speaker 2: Out of all of those teams, like, Oklomas, you might if you're coming out. You want to see the team, I guess, but it's still still about shake gilgess you want to see all right, let me see what's you know the big hubbub about. Oh yeah, he's unstoppable. Uh well, yeah he is. You want to see stars. You know, you may go see a movie, but your chances are seeing the movie star in that movie. The star is going to get you in that movie. The reason why Moneyball was successful is because you had Brad Pitt. I mean, it's a book about a baseball team being cost cutting, frugal and bringing in uh what it said? Hatdiberg. Scott Hatdiberg Like, Okay, hey, Brad pitts in it.
Speaker 5: All right, I'll watch yeah, pull.
Speaker 4: Like when you pitched that movie idea, we're gonna do a movie about the switch to analytics in baseball. There's not gonna be a lot of on field action. It's gonna be about general managers and analytics people. How do you get that movie made? And Brad Pitt calls up, Yeah, Draft Day, no football action, but we're gonna talk about the NFL draft and trades made leading up to the draft. Kevin Costner's in Oh okay, Jennifer Garner.
Speaker 2: And Jennifer Gardner very underrated, very underrated. Todd's a big Jessica Alba, I'm more Jennifer Garner really yeah yeah, And they're both on the market.
Speaker 5: I mean, I'm not both. I think I think both. I don't know. Jess scalboy, I think separated from her husband.
Speaker 6: And I got my Hall Pass ready to go.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah. At the end of the day, it's just going to be you and your Hall Pass, whatever you do with that.
Speaker 6: Fair.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Jennifer Gardner might be in a relationship. She's not married, checking, but I mean, hopefully she's in love because I love love. But I'm just saying if jess scalbug, Jennifer Garner, Jennifer Garner all day, Yes, yes.
Speaker 12: Mark, Jessica Alba was like Lebron She had a twenty year prime.
Speaker 5: Ok he.
Speaker 6: Jessica Now, Jessica.
Speaker 2: Alba, I'm looking at love relationship, holding hands.
Speaker 11: Dark Angel, Mulatto commercials. There's a lot of stuff, Oh Todd.
Speaker 2: Todd doesn't have a watch, but damn if he could buy a watch, would be that mobile.
Speaker 4: It's borderlining a program, Yes, like, if you're dating Jessica Alba, can you ever be comfortable?
Speaker 2: I mean I would try, you know what I mean though? Like Jen Jen Garner, We're just gonna have a fun time. She's a she'll drink out of a picture, but she will be great. She'll have fun. She'll be up to be like, Hey, you know, I'm thinking ice fishing. You want to go ice fishing? Yeah, I'll go ice fishing. Hey, how about you know, let's go snowshoeing. She'd go, yeah, let's go snowshoeing. I don't know if Jessica Albo is going to do that.
Speaker 6: You're doubting my girl.
Speaker 5: I know.
Speaker 2: I make the smooth segue from Jessica Alba to Jamal Crawford. He is the NBA on NBC lead analysts coming up this next season and former sixth Man of the Year. All right, unless you want to get in on this Jen Garner or Jessica Alba discussion.
Speaker 9: This is what I'll walk into.
Speaker 5: Huh, yes, yes you did, Yes you did. Okay.
Speaker 2: Commissioner comes on yesterday, and I don't know if he meant for it to be a bombshell, but let it. You know, he's thinking about what if we went from forty eight to forty minutes in games. They do this in Europe, they do this in the Olympics, and I think the immediate reaction was what are we doing here? And I said, commissioners have to think this way. I want your opinion on if the games were forty minutes as opposed to forty eight, how would that affect you.
Speaker 9: I think players the number one thing the matter, players of all status, as minutes they want to be out there. So I'm not sure forty minutes will go over will because they'll probably play a little bit less they do and if they get less numbers, they probably get less stats, and I'm not sure that will go overwhell. So I'm not sure exactly. You know what the benefit is if we're trying to save time on their bodies, and we can do that in practice, we can load manage there, but I'm not sure what the benefit is. I'm sure he's always from.
Speaker 2: But there's going to be the same number of games, they'll just be fewer minutes, so maybe there's not load management. And I think the commissioner said if you take eight minutes off a game, that's going to add up to fifteen games of minutes, so there's wear and tear on your body. If you're still getting paid for playing eighty two games, then I get the stats that those would have to be modified if there's incentives in your contract that you have to reach certain numbers. But I can see positives with it, not as many negatives.
Speaker 9: It's some positives for sure. Like you said, it's the Olympics experience. It's just guys are gonna have to not play harder because a lot of them do play hard, but they're gonna have to maximize those minutes because, like I said, that's the number one thing bad in the stats, because that's likely or not. They kind of lead to whatever else comes with contracts, et cetera, et cetera. Not for the superstars but for other guys.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but Jamal, we want more minutes. We want you guys playing in more games, Like that's what the fan wants. They don't want load. Yeah, So I think if you can ensure that, you know, fans don't know who's playing when they go to games now, and it'll be like Lakers versus Golden State. They can't say it's Steph against Lebron because they're not sure if somebody's going to be playing.
Speaker 9: And the worst part about that, Dan is that kid who got tickets for Christmas three months later, right and his favorite player or favorite two players aren't playing. It's like his Christmas is ruined three months later, right, Like he's really like, man, I didn't see this person. And that's part.
Speaker 2: That really stops, all right, So the three point shot, everybody, it feels like there's too many of them. Do you change anything? I'm gonna make you, commissioner, what do you do with the three point shot?
Speaker 9: What if you had a limit of three point shot you could shoot the game for per team, then you wouldn't just have any and everybody shooting them. I'm not sure. It's the three point shots. It's the problem. It's the problem that we're letting anybody.
Speaker 5: Shoot in the stricture. Yeah, you know what I mean.
Speaker 9: Like when we came up, it was obviously Reggie and Ray and they were gonna shoot more threes because they were the best three point shooters. But and Steph should shoot however many you can get up. But that's not for everybody. And the funny thing about that, Dan is when it's the most important time the playoffs, they're like, just move a scoreboard, mid range, take whatever you can get, layup, move that scoreboard because the time that's most important. Every point matters. So I think it's gotten to a point where we want to see a three point shot. We just want to see it by the right people. We don't need everybody shooting three.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 5: I brought this an up a month ago.
Speaker 2: I said, what if you capped did twenty five threes per team per night?
Speaker 9: What do I think every matter? Right? I even thought, I'm like, what if we took the three point line out where it's like, okay, we're just playing tunes and they're like, oh, we gotta really scheme, we gotta we gotta value each possession. Obviously you can't do that, and we love the three point shot, it's the home running baseball. But if you can cap them, I think that could be a start.
Speaker 2: Do you believe in the Cavaliers or the Thunder? If I said you had to pick one or the other to make it to the finals, I would pick the Thunder, okay.
Speaker 9: And the reason being is they have a bona fide. I love the Cavaliers young team. I love Donovan Mitchell Darius Carland Mobley, but SGA and I believe that the Thunder have a star on the sideline as well. I think coach Dagnall was unbelievable last year come in to the playoffs. We talked to so many different coaches and he was one of the ones who stood out with how how his mind works, what he's thinking. He has total command of the game. They're they're lock and key. They're almost like a college team playing in the pros without together they are how yeah, how how they move together? Look at all their interviews. I know some people talk about them, but every time there's seven or eight guys there and they run in a pack.
Speaker 2: They're young, they're all under twenty five. I mean, they are kind of a college team.
Speaker 9: They are with so many more picks coming in the future, right like they're loaded. They always do a great job of development. I would pick the Thunder because SGA is the MVP type like player.
Speaker 2: How would you what would you do to help the development of when Benyama?
Speaker 9: It's a great question. I would say for him, there's certain things he just has to go through, but I want him to One thing I would say is I probably would get him closer to the basket, gets to the free throw line. I think for every three he tanks, if he you know, bounce that out will getting one free throw. So if he shoots ten threes, get ten free throws, and I think that will always keep his scoring, you know balance, It'll always be bounced even if he shoots three for ten or three for you know, eleven from the three point line, if he has those eleven free throws to counteract that, I think he'll always have that sustainability. But he he's a joy like, he is such a treat He's we see the unicorn talent, but the everyday working with role player qualities is what's going to really shoot him off the charge.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think if like Daron Fox, I think would be really benefical. Like he needs a true, really good point guard. Chris Paul is not going to do it. Uh Castle is developing, but maybe Diaron Fox to the Spurs.
Speaker 9: I like the fact that if that's true that Dean Fox wants to come because he's gonna get players that want to come play with him, right, and he's that type of unselfished superstar. Obviously the Spurs the gold standard, but he's a transcending type player and getting a player like deeron Fox is closer in age a little bit to go with that group. After you know, this run I think would be good. What would you tell him.
Speaker 2: DP, Well, I thought he was lost in his rookie year because he was just out of place on the court offensively. He just didn't put himself in position. He was getting bodied a little bit. He needs to establish these are my comfort areas, get to those spots or getting the ball in those spots. I'm okay with them shooting threes because I like his shot, and I think he's taking nine threes this year.
Speaker 5: He was five last year.
Speaker 2: But I like that versatility of you think I'm going to be on the perimeter, I'm going inside. I think I'd develop a little jump hook there. I would get that. I'd almost study Kevin McHale and just look at all the ways that he would score. That makes it you're even more valuable when you go to the perimeter or vice versa. Now you've got to pick your poison with him. I think he's going to be the best player in the game in three years. I think he'll be an MVP in three years. I think that much of him. I just think that he sort of was lost a little bit on the floor last year.
Speaker 9: It's amazing because I think, I agree with you, the best player, but he's checking every box. Like I guarantee you what you're saying will be part of his his palate going forward. Like he's always trying to get better, He's always trying to learn, and he hasn't even to me, hasn't even got his NBA meanness yet, you know what I mean, Like he hasn't even got to like I'm here. This is all just off the national talent and having those guys there. When he gets his meanness, you know, twenty two, twenty three, twenty four, when he's, like I know him, the best player period, It's going to really be scary then because he will be on his way to being one of the greatest evers.
Speaker 2: How often would you notice who's in the stands when you were playing in Los Angeles or New York, anybody famous?
Speaker 9: It was funny when when I noticed it, but when the really famous people that I loved were there, I wouldn't make eye contact until I got rolled because I'd be so nervous that they were there. So I'll make sure I had ten points first. The first ten for me in the NBA were the hardest to get the next ten reasons, but the first in in DP were so hard, so I didn't make guy contact until I hit my double figure book.
Speaker 2: Okay, so Jessica Albo's there and you're not. We're gonna look at her for your first ten points.
Speaker 9: I'm not looking at out. No, I'm not looking at album. I'm not looking at album. I'm not looking at jay Z. I'm not looking at Sandler. None of these guys I really admire.
Speaker 2: Now, did you ever look at Beyond? Like you're not allowed to look at Beyonce if jay Z's there, well, jay Z.
Speaker 9: And our friends and so No, no, I'm definitely not looking at Beyonce for sure.
Speaker 5: Oh well you put Beyonce was there? Yeah? Yeah, I go, I go introduce myself.
Speaker 9: All right. Well, you have any movies by the way, so you're a star there. Yeah, I ask you that. What were your two favorite movies you appeared in?
Speaker 13: Uh?
Speaker 2: The Longest Yard was pretty good. I arrest saidlor at the beginning, I'm a police officer, and then uh, just go with it. I'm a nightclub owner in Hawaii with Jennifer Aniston and Nicole Kidman on stage with me.
Speaker 5: Yeah, you ever.
Speaker 9: Hooped with Sailor?
Speaker 5: Yes?
Speaker 9: I have. What's his getting lay?
Speaker 5: He carries the ball?
Speaker 9: Oh don't I don't get a carry thing? They said out care for twenty years.
Speaker 2: Don't I have a problem with it. Though he carries it constantly. He's got an ugly shot. It does go in, he does. He's a good passer, and he's kind of a physical. He's like a Baron Davis built guy, like he's going to bang around a little bit in there, and what's your game?
Speaker 5: Just don't leave me open.
Speaker 9: Oh, the guy who doesn't want the three point shots are is saying, don't leave me open for the shot.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, I mean it's too easy. They you know the three is easy. That's why I'd like to get rid of it. Kind of a Paysia Stoyakovic. You shoot that quick, I shoot with the same results.
Speaker 9: Well, if Sandler can get a wrong, can I get joined? Can I get by stand next to the dodge?
Speaker 5: Oh, Sandler would love to play hoops with you.
Speaker 9: In you too, You got to be there too.
Speaker 2: I don't know, I just you know, I got to the point where I got tired of scoring. Jamal God, you know that, you know that feeling like I like to go. I like to go to the carnival where the baskets are smaller, just so.
Speaker 5: Yeah, you gotta shoot. Yeah. I'm kind of a Mark Price kind of guy.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I'm going off.
Speaker 2: The dribble quick maybe, uh Dale illis kind of guy.
Speaker 5: Yeah, sure, yeah, there you go.
Speaker 9: See.
Speaker 5: Hey, congrats on the NBC gig. Very happy for you.
Speaker 9: For me, I know obviously you know the landscape. Any advice from me, there, no, you just it.
Speaker 2: Just have fun with it. I mean, that's all it is. You're you're you're seeing the sport, you're calling the sport. You're giving people things that they may give them something that they don't see. A lot of times on TV, we tell you what you're seeing, tell me what I'm not seen, show me little things. And I think that's really important is TV. We get to see it. There's something that was in that shot, in that move in that play that I didn't see. And that's where you can tell me something.
Speaker 9: Just my wheelhouse. I like it. Thank you.
Speaker 2: That is Jamal Crawford, NBA on NBC Lead Game Analyst, former sixth Man of the Year. Wow, This show flew by Last Call for phone Calls? What we learn? What's in store tomorrow?
Speaker 1: After this, be sure to catch the live edition of The Dan Patrick Show weekdays at nine am Eastern six am Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 5: Last Call for phone Calls? What we learned?
Speaker 2: What's in store tomorrow? There's another Mission Impossible out. I think this is the seventh or eighth one for tom Cruise. Can we rename it almost impossible? Kind of impossible? Nearly impossible, nearly impossible? Can we can we stop with this Mission impossible? Because it's not impossible? He does it every single time. Yes, Mission likely.
Speaker 4: He's gonna be okay, Like I've seen most of them. And when he's hanging on the back of the jet, I'm like, you know what, I think he's gonna make it through this scene.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Or he's on the motorcycle going off the cliff, he's gonna make it.
Speaker 5: Yes.
Speaker 9: Yes?
Speaker 11: Do we want him to continue choosing to accept these missions? When'd we get to a point we're like, you know what, I think I've seen enough Mission impossible?
Speaker 6: So we not get enough of that?
Speaker 2: Well, I'm going to guess the bottom line is how much money he's making, so that usually means you'll continue to do it. Like Equalizer with Denzel, I hope he continues to do it. I mean it's kind of an older guy John Wick who's not in his good shape. I like that Denzel can do a movie in another country and he doesn't have to be in shape. They have him wear black clothes, so he's always looking. You know, he looks thinner than what he really is. And he's Denzel. He needs his watch that he clicks ten seconds and that's about it. Hey, I'm going to go to Italy and shoot a movie and eat as much as I want, and I wear baggy clothes and I'll kill people.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yes, Dylan, I was gonna say the synopsis for Equalizer three is Denzel Washington drinks tea and takes out the Italian mafia, Gyams.
Speaker 2: Tholf pretty much pretty much, and I'm sure they'll be an Equalizer four. By the way, Caitlin Clark was in the news she is not going to be in the three point shooting contest for the NBA All Star Game, and I agree. The WNBA All Star Game is going to be in Indiana this year. So if I'm Caitlin Clark, I say to Steph Curry, why don't you come to the WNBA. I don't need to go over there with you guys. If Sabrina wants to do it and somebody else is great, But this is my home court. It's the WNBA, and if you could get Steph Curry to do that.
Speaker 5: That would be awesome.
Speaker 2: Maybe Larry Bird is in Indiana and maybe Larry would stop over the game, but that's when you do a home and home. If I'm Caitlin Clark and I'm glad she's turning down things because she could easily have ten commercials on she could be the female Peyton Manning or Patrick Mahomes. But I think, do less. Make sure you're ready for this season. Like she was at the second half of the season and she said the right things with the Olympic team. She wasn't worthy of being on the Olympic team, and then people wanted to use her as a promotional tool and she said, no, I want to earn it. I'll be there in Los Angeles. So I think that she's getting good advice and I agree. Have Steph Curry come to the WNBA All Star Game in a three point shooting contest.
Speaker 5: That would be fun.
Speaker 2: I think that that would be a smart business decision for the WNBA.
Speaker 5: All righty, Dylan. Final results of the poll quest, all.
Speaker 3: Right, Dan, it was what subject should they stop doing documentaries on?
Speaker 5: OJ? Simpson?
Speaker 3: Airing away with it? At forty six percent, Paulie, this day in sports history.
Speaker 5: Just win.
Speaker 4: But this shows what a big star this gentleman was at his peak.
Speaker 6: No offense.
Speaker 4: In two thousand, the New York Mets announced that Garth Brooks would begin training with the team in February spring training.
Speaker 5: Wasn't he a third baseman? Ain't a nice glove?
Speaker 2: Yeah, let's see, Todd.
Speaker 5: Would you learn today?
Speaker 11: Milget's head coach Mike Malone says the notion of ten minute quarters or a four point line would be like Barnum and Bailey, we don't want the.
Speaker 3: Circle, Dylan, would you learn you gotta have an enforcer at your wedding?
Speaker 5: Marvin Warren Moon had to pretties balls, paul.
Speaker 2: I can't top the hottest Rookie's, biggest superstars all time. Great's the only place to collect them all? Panini Trading Cards, The official trading cards of the program. Start a continue collection now Paniniamerica dot net. Oh, the great comedian Jim Gaffigan on the program tomorrow.
Speaker 5: Hope you'll join onus