Speaker 1: Hay yourballers.
Speaker 2: If you haven't joined Stitcher Premium yet, now is the perfect time. It gets you completely add free episodes of hundreds of shows like Comedy Bang Bang WTF with Mark Maren and Bitch Sesh a Real Housewives Breakdown. You also get twenty one thousand hours of exclusive content new exclusive originals like Freedom with hosts Scott Auckerman, Laura Lapkiz, and Paul F. Tompkins. They're launching every week for Premium members. If you love podcasts, you are missing out. Plus, most importantly, when you listen to add free episodes on Stitcher Premium, your favorite podcasters get paid help support your favorite shows. Enjoin Stitcher Premium today. You can get a free month of listening by going to Stitcherpremium dot com.
Speaker 1: Use the promo code verbal welcome to the Solid Verbal. Come that for me. I'm a man, I'm forty. I've heard so many players say why to be happy? You want to be happy? For day? Edith State is that woo whoom?
Speaker 2: And and Tye, welcome back to the Solid verbel boys and girls.
Speaker 1: My name is ty Hilton brand joining me over there. Where are you Dan? You're not in New York today, are you I'm all over the place, Ty, we're talking mentally, emotionally, physically. I do this, it becomes muscle memory.
Speaker 2: And I'm about to say New York City until I realize that you're You're in Austin, Texas today.
Speaker 1: Yeah. The sun is beating down on me in Uta Country. I just have some tacos. I'm I'm very happy to be in West Coast Kevin's house. Whoa in Austin, Texas? So is he? Hold on?
Speaker 2: Is he still West Coast Kevin despite the fact that now he has moved to decidedly. Uh uh, that's a good question.
Speaker 1: Midwest Heartland, Great Plains, Southwest Hill Country. Yeah, he's on the east side of Austin, so he's not even on the west side of Austin. So I think that'd be disingenuous. But we're still going to go with it because change is hard time sure, change is difficult. So how's Kevin? Kevin's Great West Coast Kevin, by the way, host the House of Run. If you like track and Field, you should be listening to the House of Run, which is a play on words of Run's House, which has not been on the air in quite some time. On MTV. You can read his work on flow track, and he's just a generally good guy. If you want Austin food recommendations tweet, I think it's just k Sully seventy two or House of Run. He'll get, he'll get you. Can we talk to him later? Is he around to talk about Yeah, we're gonna. I'm gonna. I'm gonna drag him into this room and we're going to do so for those who don't know, who are listening, who did not see on Twitter, Facebook, or Reddit, we are doing sort of improved teams, not necessarily improved, but who you think will be improved. We're also doing who you are secretly scared of. So if you're a Michigan fan, you're not scared of, You're not secretly scared of Ohio State. That should be out in the open that a Michigan fan perhaps is scared of Ohio State, or a Washington fan is scared of Auburn, because that's an obvious team to be scared of. We wanted to hear from you regarding your overlooked opponents that you're a little bit scared of. So we're going to talk about that. Because you gave us a lot of good answers, and then we asked for grilling, and so it's basically getting more specific from last week grilling and outdoor eating tips and questions or whatever. And we like to pretend we know what we're talking about. A lot of the time we don't, so we're gonna go with that absolutely.
Speaker 2: So also of note, starting next week, I may have teased this a week too soon, but starting next week, we're actually going to start to get into some preseason stuff. How it's not going to be as in depth as some of our team previews will be later as we get into August and conference previews and all that, but we have a cool concept that we're going to trot out starting next week. It'll probably take us at least two weeks to get through, but we're actually going to start diving into a little bit of what you should expect in the twenty eighteen season. So that's something you have to look forward to. What to expect when you're expecting.
Speaker 1: That's right exactly.
Speaker 2: We've also got some new merch that is forthcoming. It is imminent courtesy of our friends over at Cotton Bureau. They're going to help us blaunch a whole store, a whole bunch of stuff, which is going to be a ton of fun. It's going to continue all throughout the preseason, regular season, offseason, basically the foreseeable future. We will have new merch at the ready if you're interested in supporting the verbal and donning it out in public, So that is forthcoming, a new website courtesy of our friends over at Superboss. I just talked to Sean from Superboss today. We've got a lot of cool things happening. We're about to happen out at Soliverbal dot com. And of course we announced the live show date and we've got a bunch of people allow us out yep, August eleventh in Chicago, a bunch of people checking things out, venues out, helping us out on the ground, and hopefully we'll have a little bit more information on that in the very near future, but for the time being anyway, a ton of people have expressed interest out on the Facebook event that we haphazardly created just to gather folks interests, and we're excited we're going to have to start putting that show together.
Speaker 1: Lickety split. Best place to find out up to the date, in up to date information on the live show merchandise website. Everything going on with the show would be the newsletter of intent.
Speaker 2: Newsletter of Intent, which you can find if you go to the Facebook page and click on sign up, or if you go to our still active older version of solid verbal dot com. Well on the right hand rail, you'll see a sign up form sign up for the newsletter. We promise we'll post all the updates there. All the pertinent information will get sent out through the newsletter.
Speaker 1: First, should we get just jump in? Let's jump in dead. First off, we have brading news. You didn't. I like that you're not even playing the sounds because as you are, just I haven't found my overwhelming force of nature. I have not found my soundboard yet. Oh okay, that's a good excuse. Someday our competitors might invest in production value ties so we can't fall behind. Someday. That was mean. No, that was mean. So I stand by everything. Do you want to get into news? So there?
Speaker 2: Yeah, there were two I guess related bits of breaking news on the NC double A front. Both pertain to transfers, and I guess by extension red shirts.
Speaker 1: But I guess yeah, directly and indirect transfers. Yeah, so transfers are going to be easier. And what this amounts to, and I'm reading directly from the ESPN dot com article, student athletes will now have the ability to transfer without asking for permission, like real life human beings. This is a whole thing.
Speaker 2: For as long as I can remember, if you wanted to transfer, you had to go to your school or your coach, and they had the right to restrict where you could transfer. Again, a whole thing. There's a new process now that's going to take effect in October, and it allows an athlete to notify his current school of his desire to transfer. Then the school is required to enter the student's name into a database within two business days.
Speaker 1: I love that they specify that.
Speaker 2: And then upon being entered into that database, college coaches can just go out and contact any athlete freely without permission. It's like the waiver wire in your fantasy league, Dan, That's what this is going to turn into. It clearly gives more independence, more rights to any.
Speaker 1: Students up the process.
Speaker 2: Yeah, any student athlete who is actively seeking a transfer. So I think I think this is a net positive. I think this is a very good thing for students who are pursuing an kind of transfer.
Speaker 1: Well, it's it's not sort of a cart blanche thing because conferences can still sort of institute their own rules, But in terms of process, it certainly speeds things up and helps kids who want to transfer and gauge with coaches at potential destination. So I think it's a it's a good thing.
Speaker 2: The other bit of this is that there is a new red shirt rule, And what this amounts to is this is great. Yeah, somebody, a kid can play up to four games without burning a red shirt, which is interesting to me, and I thought about this all afternoon. Is this going to turn into like a September call up like we see in Major League Baseball? Could it turn into like a November, a late November a bowl season call up in college football?
Speaker 1: So there's a number of different ways that this can be interpreted or instituted. Really. One of them, obviously, is when you have games against teams that you're not terribly worried about, if it's an FCS game early on or in the case of a number of SEC teams, I don't have schedules in front of me, but that November weekend, the SoCon weekend that you can, you know, play a starter for a quarter or not even play a starter who might be nursing an injury, where you can have depth that you didn't necessarily have in years past to get a sense of what you might have in a red shirt player. And maybe that's it's better in November, where you have a better sense of that player on a scout team or throughout practice for a couple of months. Maybe it's early on in the season to see whether or not a potential red shirt should be an actual red shirt or an actual contributor, because the talent is there. Maybe it's to find out whether or not. In the case of I think Khalil Tait, somebody had talked about this that it just wasn't a good practice player, but he was a gamer, and maybe you have somebody like that forever. Reason rises to the occasion once he is between the lines, you know. I saw a couple of people mentioned about Jalen Hurts where he could actually play three four games and still take a red shirt and graduate and transfer out of Alabama after the season exactly, stay fresh and showcase abilities and in ways perhaps that he hadn't before. So I think there are situations like that, But ultimately I think it's going to help in terms of, you know, a guy plays four games and breaks his ankle and is unable to play the rest of the year, but can still maintain another year of eligibility that he otherwise previously would not have had. Right now, I think it's a good thing.
Speaker 2: I'm curious to see if coaches get creative with it, very curious to see if this is something that comes into play again later in the year, depending on situations. Clearly, what we saw with Tua this past season was not exactly the norm, but you can envision a scenario in which there's somebody who's a red shirt that could be of service to a team, maybe even in a particular package, a particular situation come gain down the stretch.
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 2: I'm just very curious to see if there's any bit of strategicy that goes on with this new four game rule.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and we'll have a better sense as fans, we'll have a better sense for players that, oh, there's a lot of hype around this red shirt and what he was able to do in practice, when ultimately practice is important doesn't mean a ton As for future success in a lot of cases. Also, like let's say a team who's not going to be all that good this year. Give me a team, I don't know, Rutgers or something. We don't expect Illinois that we don't expect a ton from perhaps once they just are definitely not going to be eligible for a bowl game once they go to two and seven or something like that. But they have a promising blue chip quarterback or something like that who they're red shirting now all of the sudden, especially schedule isn't crazy. Yes, four games's two last three and just like get some game rhythm, game experience, get that sort of speed of the game thing updated a little bit. It's it's entirely possible that. And that's the September call up thing telling you get a sense, yeah, but in November. Yeah, the November call up, I guess we can. Yeah, the Sepvember call up, we can.
Speaker 2: We can be the first to coin that if it hasn't already, Yes, November call up. All right, well, we'll have to keep an eye on that. In other NCAA news, it doesn't to you know, players transferring a red shirt, but three more bowl games are coming Our way. We've had arguments with folks on Twitter who think there should be fewer games, But starting in twenty twenty, it looks like the total Bowl games will now increase two forty three. There'll be three more. According to our friend Brett McMurphy, Chicago and Myrtle Beach reportedly are in line to get Bowl games. They could be two of the three sites. Chicago, if they got it, would play it at Wrigley Field, which is kind of cool.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I've been in Chicago in late December. It's it's literally cool. It's literally really cool. It's extremely cool, cooler than being cool. Yeah. Yeah, it does increase the likelihood.
Speaker 2: That we're going to see more five and seven teams getting into these Bowl games. Teams again five and seven final record losing records. But I am long past the point of really caring about whether or not a five and seven team gets in. I've gotten to this point because we've talked to a lot of reporters, a lot of coaches, and in particular a lot of players who all lax poetic about the Bowl experience and what that means to a college athlete. Many of them talk about how good of an experience that was how memorable it was and how it really influenced them in a positive way. So if there's a means to do this, if it's not setting anyone back, I say, I say go for it. And I'm always in favor of more football doing a college football podcast, so what the hell?
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's in their exhibition TV shows that you don't have to watch having strong opinions about a five and seventeen they don't deserve. It's like, it's almost as if you're getting angry that, like Blue Bloods is getting a spin off and you never really watch blue Bloods in the first place, Like blue What who cares about blue Bloods in a spin off? Exactly? Orange Bloods set in Miami, I have never end honestly, just oh Orange Bloods. Didn't even realize I was gonna go, yep, hook them. But it's getting angry over something that you weren't even caring about in the first place and didn't need to patronize in the at all in late December. So whatever, it's fine. Chicago's a great city. Myrtle Beach, I'm sure is a good time if you're coming from a cold weather place and it's just just have fun. It's it's more time for college students putting themselves in harm's way to have fun. Get a couple of eye slides along the way. Yeah right, all right.
Speaker 2: In other news, former five star Clemson quarterback Hunter Johnson has announced he is transferring to Northwestern. This is a pretty significant move for the Northwestern Wildcats. They're hoping to get Clayton Thorson back from an injury in twenty eighteen and have him be the starter as he's been yep, but come twenty nineteen they're gonna need a new quarterback. And Hunter Johnson was formerly the number one pocket passer in the class of twenty seventeen, the number twenty one overall player in that twenty seventeen class.
Speaker 1: So this is a blue chip recruit who's signing on to play.
Speaker 2: He'll have three years of eligibility left after he sits out the twenty eighteen campaign. He's from the Midwest, so he's close to home. If in fact, Pat Fitzgerald can spin some gold here out of Hunter Johnson, this is a pretty significant pickup for them.
Speaker 1: It is, and I'm not sure like they've always recruited well enough like quarterback there's not a lot of Northwestern teams you're like they're good other than the quarterback. Quarterback play has always been pretty solid, not spectacular, but pretty solid these past few years. And the fact that they're led by their defense, the fact that coming in he should have more talent than any Northwestern quarterback ever in terms of raw material, raw talent. The problem to me hasn't been that Northwestern hasn't been able to develop kids to the point where they're beating or hanging with I mean, you watched Northwestern beat Notre Dame. I don't know if that's still a tender spot for you. But Northwestern has developed kids to the point where they're competitive with the best of college football, or at least the highest level of college football. The thing I'm concerned about, and I don't have the music at the ready. You certainly don't because you don't have a soundboard. It's not the people on the field that worry me about Northwestern. It's the people with the laminated play cards and the headsets on offense that worry me about Northwestern the past five years. This is the disappointment. So this is there. This is a total offense against FBS teams yards per play a certainly not bulletproof metric, but something along the way of that. Twenty thirteen seventy fourth, okay, around average time sure, twenty fourteen, one hundred and twenty second, two thy fifteen, one hundred and twentieth, twenty sixteen eighty eight, twenty seventeen ninety third yep, and that's with an experienced quarterback. Last year, Justin Jackson obviously was a home run threat a lot of the time. So I wonder if it's been a talent thing or a we need to change things up on offense. And hopefully that's the case going into this year, because to get into a rhythm for next year when they do have Hunter Johnson would be a pretty big deal for a Northwestern team That year in a year out is pretty damn good. All right.
Speaker 2: Elsewhere quarterback news Virginia Tech Josh Jackson may not be eligible because of a quote academic issue. It depends where you look about this news topic here. I think, for what it's worth, Virginia Tech remains pretty optimistic that he'll still be eligible and able to play. He was still with the team as of like a week ago. He hasn't been suspended or anything like that. It sounds like it's the kind of thing they're trying to work through. So as of now, everything that I've seen, they're fairly optimistic that he's still going to be the starter. But certainly something to watch if you're an ACC fan, if you're a Virginia Tech fan. Josh Jackson had a pretty promising campaign a year ago through for like twenty nine hundred yards twenty touchdowns. Clearly a young kid still trying to find his rhythm, but that would be a pretty big blow for Justin Flinte.
Speaker 1: Yeah, essentially no experience behind him in any sort of meaningful way. They opened up the season against Florida State. They were that offense took a pretty big step back after I guess what the Duke game. They scored ten against Miami, twenty two against Georgia Tech, twenty against Pitt ten against Virginia, twenty one against Oklahoma State, so that it wasn't a prolific offense the back half of the season with I think some pretty good talent. So that would be a pretty significant setback for both Josh Jackson and the Hokies. But the schedule is not terrible. Other than that opening game against Florida State the first half of the year, so who knows. And finally a bit of somber news here. But you may have read stories a couple of weeks ago about Jordan McNair from Maryland, the offensive lineman. He collapsed during a team workout. He has now passed away. Oh so awful.
Speaker 2: Two weeks after that happens, So thoughts some prayers out to his family and the entire Maryland family. You hate to read about this kind of thing, and it, unfortunately is something that happens. But man, what a bit of terrible news for that Maryland program sad to hear it?
Speaker 1: Yeah, Country Lucky Stars, it's a tough place. I hate to hear it. Absolutely Okay.
Speaker 2: On that weird note, Dan, if we could go to some of the questions let's do it that we got from the verballerhood now again reiterate or what kind of questions we put the call out for, Whether the solid verbal bat signal went up for questions of a of a certain particular theme here.
Speaker 1: Yes, secret fear, who are you secretly scared of? Yes, so we're not talking are you scared of? This season? What we're not talking like you're scared of spiders. We're talking about what team are you? Are you a little bit less excited to see on the schedule, then you might think you could be scared of Richmond, and in that case, right right, scared of spiders. Pretty decent situation. Okay, who are you secretly scared of? Not the major teams on your schedule, with the teams that are perhaps overlooked or sandwiched. You know that let down, look ahead sandwich situation. I do have one of those in our in our questions, there's a prime let down, look ahead sandwich situation. So there is let's get into it real quick. We have a lot of overlapped questions and teams that multiple fans of the same team are scared of. We also have candidates for improvement and a couple of random questions, and then be we'll get into the grilling and outdoor eating questions with of course non West Coast West Coast Kevin.
Speaker 2: Sure, all right, So Ryan sends in as a Penn State fan, I'm secretly scared of app State in the first game, Yes, Ryan, I am not.
Speaker 1: Penn State wins that game going away by three touchdowns. What would concern you most about Penn State. We have a pretty good concept for app State, just because opening week against a frisky team with the infrastructure of a good defense, losing a defensive coordinator, new quarterback for app State, but who is what is excuse me, the vulnerability in a game where you know, even James Franklin's not going to know how a new look Penn State team is going to look in week one. You know they there's a fair amount of turnover on defense. Yep.
Speaker 2: Some of the veteran leadership is gone now, and of course Saquon Barkley is the headliner drafted number two overall by the New York Football Giants, but they've got plenty of depth behind him to pick up at least some the slack trace bick Sorely being there is a pretty big deal. Will he will continue the tradition of the last two seasons now and I think propel them to great things. So I am actually not at all concerned about this football game. There's clearly going to be some turnover that they're going to have to adjust for and develop over the course of the season. But AP State Week one does not scare me. The game's in State College, which can cover up a lot of sins. So I'm okay with this game, Ryan, don't worry.
Speaker 1: Okay, fair enough? I mean, yeah, the concern is week one cob Webs, a new play caller obviously on offense with Joe Moore had gone, and what if those Tommy Stevens shovel passes don't turn out? Alright? What happens then? What's the plan?
Speaker 3: Be Ty?
Speaker 2: All right, Joshua says, as a Georgia fan, I am secretly terrified about Week two against South Carolina? Can you whisper it's going to be okay? In my ear please, I'll just be over here in the fetal position. Thanks. So all right, josh Well here's the deal. Yeah, Daniel, let me ask you, are you afraid?
Speaker 1: What are you afraid of? The most?
Speaker 2: If you are a Georgia fan as it relates to South Carolina, what about South Carolina scares you? Other than the fact that the game I believe is in South Carolina, it's in Columbia.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah. So besides that point, it's a new look South Carolina offense without Kurt Roper, who has let go? I think it's Brian McClendon who takes over, so they're going to play faster. South Carolina has recruited, well, this is a new look offense, and the fact is South Carolina is going to be at its healthiest. So Georgia obviously has the depth that South Carolina doesn't have, so that's a huge advantage. October, November whatever. So South Carolina should be healthy. They're talented enough at least that first eleven on defense Debo's back for South Carolina. I've given like four answers, but I think the health and experience, the healthy experience, I think should be the biggest thing for South Carolina that should worry Georgia in week two. And also Georgia is gonna murder Austin P in week one, but it should be noted, really good story last year Austin p going from zero to eleven and twenty sixteen to eight and four and twenty seventeen with like a thirty one year old head coach. I think his name is Will Keely. Just it's very tangential to the question at hand, But Georgia might take a few weeks to really get into a rhythm with a new look defense.
Speaker 2: I could totally see that happening. I think it's an interesting game to bet the home dog, and I'm sure when we talk about our previews, definitely it's something that we can bring up. But early in the year a bit of an adjustment again, some turnover on the Georgia side. South Carolina will be fine. They do have some turnover on their defensive front that I think will be okay in the long term because Will musch Champ does defense pretty well. You're right in saying that the offense might be a little bit more wide open. But all in all, I think Georgia wins the game. But I think it's a really good opportunity to go home dog because South Carolina at home is probably going to be getting like thirteen fourteen points. I can see that game being a little closer.
Speaker 1: Sure, absolutely, all.
Speaker 2: Right, Mike says FSU fan here. I am secretly scared about Boston College after the beatdown we got last year. Do you think Steve Dazio continues to keep BC moving in the right direction? How do you think BC will fare against FSU's new look offense. Can I answer this question with a question of my own?
Speaker 1: Please?
Speaker 2: Do are we sure that BC's moving in the right direction under Steve Doz.
Speaker 1: Yes, yeah, why are you so sure they're a ball team? That's the right direction. That's great, ty, come on, be happy it's summer. But do you feel like they're getting that much better from year to year? So they developed one of the best freshman running backs in the country last year, probably one of the best one twenty running backs in the country in aj dillonfishent State, healthy, workman like whatever. Harold Landry developed really nicely on defense. You know, the depth isn't going to be there. That's two players, which is great, two players. Anthony Brown was not particularly good last year other than the Florida State game, so that's I guess maybe a little bit worrisome. Yes, if Boston College is on a bowl streak, which I believe they are, that at least on a very surface level, tells me that there's good momentum. I don't know if I'm totally convinced about that. Listen, they're in the ACC so they're never going to win double digit games under Steve Adazio. That's not a hot take. It'd be wonderful if they did because it's something new and novel, but it's Bowl eligibility tie is positive momentum in Chestnut Hill.
Speaker 2: Here is what strikes me about that Boston College game for Florida State. I'm not so much worse worried about Boston College winning the football game as I am Florida State potentially being worn out because listen to this stretch of games that they've got.
Speaker 1: Yeah, what's what's coming up? What's the body blow?
Speaker 2: Here is what Florida State has before that game October twenty seventh, home against Clemson, biggest game on the schedule. The next week they're on the road at NC State for Ryan Finley's like fifteenth year of eligibility.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's absolutely right. That's a huge letdown look ahead Sandwich. No matter what happens.
Speaker 2: Saturday, November tenth, the week after at Notre Dame, which should be I would think a pretty big game as well. And then they come back home the week after against Boston College the game in question, and then the week after they've got their rivalry game at home but against Florida. So a lot of ammo there on the schedule Boston College and a prime letdown look ahead spot. I still think Florida State by that point later in the year is good enough to just buwl them over. But there's at least a question in my mind as to what might happen there. But I still feel pretty confident.
Speaker 1: It's an ideal scenario other than the Tallahassee thing. I because I am a believer and it hurts me to say this. In Willie Taggart's offense, like, I think what he brings to Florida State is so much needed change. And even if they don't get wonderful quarterback play either out of either DeAndre frans Bola or James Blackman, there's enough there that they should especially by then. Like if you look at what Oregon looked like when fully healthy against and we can compare Boston College to some of the not so impressive teams that Oregon played when Justin Herbert was healthy last year, I would imagine they will be happy to be in a rhythm against a team without the talent of Notre Dame, NC State, Clemson, etc. Agree Dan, all right, let's one I think they could play, but it is ideal for Boston College scenario wise.
Speaker 2: All Right, Ben says he's scared of Boise State ruining his birthday when the Broncos visit Stillwater in Oklahoma State.
Speaker 1: Mm hmm. I looked at this game. I'm equally as terrified Ben. I gotta be honest.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Boise State brings back enough to feel pretty good about what they're.
Speaker 1: Going to do on offense. I e. Brett Rippen coming back, pretty good quarterback. Mm hm. In Stillwater.
Speaker 2: If you're Mike Gundy, you've got a ton of turnover, not the least of which is Mason Rudolph is now at the Pittsburgh Steelers, and you're going to be starting. I believe Taylor Cornelius great name, will clearly end up being Yukon Cornelius in this show.
Speaker 1: Mm hmm.
Speaker 2: Big dude six six, like two point thirty. But early in the year, I think a really low point spread, probably single digits under a touchdown, could see it happening where Boise State pulls an upset. They're going to be the best group of five team this year.
Speaker 1: I don't know if that's fully true. I mean, I still like UCF, I still like Houston Memphis. There's a lot I like. But yes, I think Boise State has a very good claim to that. Boise has not much going in I think they have Yukon the week before. Oklahoma State has even less. They have South Alabama coming in the week before. It's in still Water. The big thing is is, you know Cornelis, whoever ends up starting for Oklahoma State, what's his poise like? Because Boise States, they're essentially led by their defensive line, the fact that they have a ton of talent and experience there and return a quarterback in Brett Rippon, are well coached, and there's not much Boise State has to lose. They're going too still Water. That's not like it's a playoff elimination game for Boise So I think they can play with a little less abandoned. So I would happily take those points, all right.
Speaker 2: Moving on, Matthew says he's scared of Ohio State's post Penn State stretch. Okay, post Penn State stretch and the way here's how he's labeled it. He says Indiana is a chaos team, Minnesota has PJ Fleck looking for a big win, and Purdue on the road is Jeff Brom.
Speaker 1: He just says Jeff Bram here in parentheseason. That's the worrisome thing.
Speaker 2: Now, I looked at this a little bit more closely, I'm not sure I fully agree. I think it's giving Indiana alog it's given him a lot of credit.
Speaker 1: Sure, PJ.
Speaker 2: Fleck, Okay, maybe he starts building something. Maybe he built like a quarterback on what he did a year ago. But the game is in Ohio Stadium, and again, who's playing quarterback? Ross Aids Stadium before a bye week in West Lafayette could be interesting, but still Ohio States should be fairly well loaded by that point in the season, like they'll have it mostly figured out by the time they get the Halloween weekend. It's actually the games after that that terrify me the most. Of course, Yeah, Nebraska at Michigan, State at Maryland, which we're gonna I think talk about Maryland a little bit later, and then the game back home. But Michigan, who knows what we're going to get out of Michigan. I'm not all that worried about those three games after Penn.
Speaker 1: State, I'm not worried about Purdue. If I'm an Ohio State fan. At this point, there's nothing Yeah, as you mentioned, there's nothing great leading in, there's nothing great the immediate week after with a bye week there and The thing that's a bummer about Purdue is they were for as much credit as I think Jeff Brom rightfully deserves for being innovative and interesting on offense, it was the defense that led that team last year, and they replace a ton, especially up front. So it feels like, you know, everybody thinks when there's a new coach, like, wow, the first year is going to be sort of an experimentation, rebuilding type beer. But offensively produce should be a little bit better in year two. But defensively, I think they're going to take a step back, and that's really what led their sort of exciting resurgence last year. So I'm not buying Prudue as being secretly scary right now.
Speaker 2: A and M fan Sean says that Arkansas makes him nervous because John Chavis knows the defensive personnel and Chad Morris for several reasons. He says they will have plenty of motivation to beat us. Does it seem legit or is the talent gap too big for Arkansas? I think this is a legit concern. One of the things that we talked about when Chad Morris came over from SMU is how we both saw potential for Arkansas to be that sort of wild card team, you know, like, ah, they might not be consistent, but they're gonna beat somebody, and A and M with their turnover, they've got a lot coming back. But could totally see a situation in which A and M's beaten up from playing Alabama the week before and Arkansas just sort of finds a way to wear him down in the line.
Speaker 1: Maybe, I mean, at what point point as A and m Arkansas ever normal? No, it's it's in a TNT, I believe once again, it's that Cowboy Championship Classic thing, whatever they call it. Yeah, it's gonna go to three overtimes, it's gonna get weird and wacky, and sure, no matter who's coaching any of the teams involved, that should worry you because it's A and m Arkansas. Yeah, the perpetual worry game. Yeah, A m Arkansas, I'm with you.
Speaker 2: Nathan says he's a Notre Dame fan from Indiana. It seems like people out of state don't realize that there's a perdue Notre Dame rivalry between fans. That being said, it pains him to admit that Purdue might be a fun team to watch this year. Notre Dame does not play Perdue this year, but I do agree. I was all in on the Purdue thing a year ago and I'm excited to see where they go in twenty eighteen. I think Jeff Brohm's an incredible coach, and we've talked at nauseam about the cindularity here the sinularity.
Speaker 1: And if Jeff Brohm has a good year this year, he's gone. I don't know if he'll ever be playing against Notre Dame, coaching against Notre Dame and Ross, but listen, who knows hope for the best, similarly Notre Dame. This is just on the topic of scheduling. Why does Notre Dame make us such a disaster out of their skale? From Ivan? Why not drop Stanford or Navy? And I'm not looking for the typical we owe Navy right? Yeah? Is there any reason should Notre Dame make their schedule easier or do they have to make their schedule what it is in order to maintain the credibility of independence. I think they have to. Yeah, I think they have to, and I'm with you all they want to see it at that playoff table.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm with the Ivan. There are definitely years in which and it's mostly every year if we're being honest, where I look at the schedule and I'm like, man, that's that situation is not going to play out well. You can see the writing on the wall. But at the same time, if you are Notre Dame, if you do play such a high price on your own independence, I think is something you have to do if you want to try and compete for national championship. Otherwise gonna find yourself in a situation later in the year where we're arguing this top four thing out and Notre Dame is left out of the conversation because they didn't maybe have a game like a Stanford.
Speaker 1: Brendan says his Notre Dame fan fear is Northwestern because of a letdown, look ahead Sandwich situation, after Navy, the body the Notre Dame, the classic Notre Dame body blow situation, and before Florida State and that game is in Evanston yep. I think I think Brendan's onto something with that, something with that fear one hundred percent. What week is that in the in the season that Octmber, first week of November, first week in November. Yeah, that's when Northwestern is getting a little frisky. Sure, absolutely, a night game.
Speaker 2: Hold on one other thing, yeah, place a night game the week before against Navy.
Speaker 1: Mm hmm. That game is being played in San Diego, of course it is. Yeah, all right, I mean it does make sense with the Navy base there, but yeah, in San Diego. So there's travel involved. They're flying back cross country, not like a true cross country flight. It's not like the pure NFL scenario where you're going from San Diego pretty far. It's pretty far from San Diego.
Speaker 2: And just saying there's a lot there that makes you potentially a little bit squeamish. And oh, by the way, after that Florida State game in Notre Dame, the Irish are back on the road. They play the game in the like the non Pinstripe Bowl Pinstripe Bowl in Yankee Stadium against Syracuse before traveling back across country to square off against usc.
Speaker 1: Final game of the year. Are you gonna go to the Yankee Stadium game? Yeah, you're a Yankee fan in a Notre Dame. I'm not going to that game, mister mainstream, I'm not going to that game. Who should Michigan be more worried about on their schedule, aside from the big ones, which is Ohio State, Michigan State, Penn State, Notre Dame is from Abbot long time for baller, just crowd favorite Abbot Skelding, Nebraska, Northwestern Indiana. What do you think? Not Indiana at this point? Probably Nebraska's pretty early on, right, but it's not week one or two. I want to say it's like week four. It's week four, yeah, second to last week of September. And I will also say Nebraska has there is another letdown look ahead situation. I don't have it in front of me, but I'm almost positive Nebraska has Colorado, who shouldn't be all that good, but you know they're well coached. Who knows they have Colorado? And then I think a Troy good Troy team once again who beat LSU last year. New quarterback for Troy, but a lot of remaining pieces before that Michigan game. So disadvantage for Nebraska right there with a letdown look ahead, but who knows. I still think the highest ceiling of those teams in terms of existing structure is Northwestern. It's probably Northwestern. Yeah, where is that game? The game is at Northwestern. Actually, yes, okay, weird Kyle field Day. Who knows what else we got here? Let's go to Libby, another crowd favorite. Yeah, secretly terrified of Fau for Oklahoma's home open, our first game without Baker Mayfield against a motivated Fau. Is this an irrational fear? I think it's pretty warranted, ty not a rational link Kiffinlank Kiffin? What are we talking about here? Is now associated with the Weiss family. Charlie Weiss junior, who is your younger brother's younger brother.
Speaker 2: Have you started looking at our fantasy things for twenty eighteen? Oh my god, I think Charlie Weiss somehow, some way being involved in our fantasy draft, even if it's Charlie Weiss Junior, has to be a thing.
Speaker 1: I am excited for the possibility. If there is going to be a Brian Colangelo esque burner controversy in college football this year one, you know it's going to be within the orbit of Lane Kiffin, and it'll probably be Lane Kiffin if it's not, because and you know this because you're somewhat local to it. Having Charlie Weiss Junior, have Charlie Weiss who I believe lives in Florida somewhere with the ability Charlie Weiss with a burner account defending his son, like if there's weird play calling against Oklahoma, if there's weird, you know, there's some strange situation, that's the obvious pick for a college football burner because you have the Kiffen and you have the father something with a twenty four year old twenty five year old and do not get either one of us wrong. It's good for everybody if we have like this crazy success story of a twenty five year old offensive coordinator. But that's where my money would be.
Speaker 2: A Charlie Weiss's senior scenario is odds on favorite to forget to switch accounts on his phone, thinks he's tweeting from his own personal or vice versa, and accidentally tweets out the wrong thing.
Speaker 1: Yes, gives the whole game away. Yeah, Yes, Fau is in a good position. They'll have a new quarterback. Jason Driscoll retired. But I want to say it's Chris Robison who transferred from Oklahoma after not really I don't think he just like enrolled in Oklahoma, had never even played or was really with the team, and then the Florida State transferred DeAndre Johnson. I forget his name. I'm a bad host and everybody already knows that. But FAU is loaded with high ish level power five talent in multiple spots early on against an Oklahoma team that is much more talented. From one to eighty five, I'm probably gonna go Oklahoma that they might be close for two and a half quarters, but Oklahoma gets into a rhythm and pulls away, probably by seventeen to twenty one points. So I understand the fear, but I think in the end they'll be all right.
Speaker 2: All right, So why don't we do this? I'm going to read our sponsor message, please do. Then let's get to like one or two none? Who are you afraid of college football questions? Okay, I got a bunch more, and then I want to bring in there. Then I want to bring in no longer West coast Kevin, Yes, to help us answer the ring. So west of us well west of Soliverble Headquarters.
Speaker 1: Sure? Correct? Dan? When do you want to start paying less interest on your credit card debt? Heysap? How about today?
Speaker 2: I'm with today with a credit card consolidation loan from our good friends over at light Stream. Light Stream rewards consumers who have good credit with a great interest rate and no fees. You can get a credit card consolidation loan from five point four to nine percent APR. With auto pay, you could save thousands of dollars in interest. The application is one hundred per sent online. You can even get your funds as soon as today. Our listeners can get an additional interest rate discount on top of light Streams already low rates. The only way to get this discount is to go to lightstream dot com slash Solid. That's l I G H T S t R E A M dot com slash Solid. All the usual disclaimer stuff applies so subject to credit approval. The rate includes a point five percent autopay discount available only when you select autopay prior to the loan.
Speaker 1: Funding.
Speaker 2: Terms and conditions it offers are subject change without notice. Visit lightstream dot com for important information about limits on light Stream loans and same day funding. But again check it out get your discount Lightstream dot com slash Solid.
Speaker 1: Where are we going, Dan, Let's go elsewhere? How about that? Yeah? Here we go? Uh, we want to go Okay, do have a list of your top five running backs this season? I have mine. This is from Patrick just a quick little ranking time like Bryce Love, JK. Dobbins, Jonathan Taylor tail back, can't forget him horse Yep. I don't know if cam Akers is my top five, but I love cam Akers. I'll put him in my top five top five ceiling. Yeah, we mentioned AJ Dillon.
Speaker 2: I think he'll he'll certainly have numbers because they're gonna give the ball every play. But like Miles Gaskin, Rodney Anderson, Damien Harris, there's so many names. It's a very good year for running backs in college football.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I would have Gaskin and Harris after Dobbins, Taylor in Love, not in any particular order other than Love number one. It's a yeah, it's a It's a pretty hardy class of running backs nationally. It's spread out pretty evenly, which is nice. You know, Travis CTN I think has the potential to be up there. What happens? Sure, Uh, this is a good question. I really like this one from three people from Todd, John and Dennis. Wow, that'd be great. They are going on a football pilgrimage, which we're hearing more and more about like as a secondary bachelor bachelorette type situation, very much a thing that people are talking to us about. They're making a good trip, They're going to College Station, which I think is I'm not crazy about the town of college Station, not for any real reason. Just didn't do it for me. But a game at Kyle Field is a terrific time, huge game. I would just spend more time in Houston. I would just come in for the game, watch the game, chill out. If you want to eat well and having that hour and a half two hour proximity to Houston, you go to Hugos and eat Mexican food. You go eat some Vietnamese crawfish wherever you can. There's a place called Crawfish Noodles that just go wild in Houston eating and seeing the various, crazy, diverse neighborhoods. That would be my recommendation.
Speaker 2: He also adds at the back end of this email. Yeah, now I'm not sure if it's Todd, John or Dennis all three years here as part of the email, but he says, my son, so someone in this group is missing his Honors Society induction. To keep the pilgrimage streak alive, Dan.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think that's right. I think that's the right move. I was president of my honor society in high school. Really, I was Would you rather have gone to an induction ceremony or to Houston, to Mexicanowood and to watch a major college for one college football? Yeah? You can't. In terms of your your building memories, You're just collecting memories along the way. And I think this is more valuable than an honor society induction.
Speaker 2: All right, so let's start here, Dan, let's go to non football questions.
Speaker 1: Okay, so what is the topic, du jure? The topic appears to be grilling? Yeah, grilling is West Coast Kevin available. West Coast Kevin's making, I mean, appropriately enough a quick grocery store run hellby. I'm going to drag him in here as soon as he gets back. All right, Well, let's start here. Have you ever used it's a public grill? Why?
Speaker 2: Why?
Speaker 1: Or why not? Have you? I never have?
Speaker 2: Oh my god, Ty, I'm I'm I'm not sure i'd ever really want to up in your ivory castle.
Speaker 1: Have you ever seen those things? Sure? They're fine? And listen, Ty, if you if they are like caked on and really gross. You just throw a piece of foil on top. It's fine. Throw some foil and some cooking spray, olive oil spray, whatever, and the charkath if your burgers or dogs, yeah, you have some charcoal. You bring your own charcoal, you light it up, and you cook meat and or vegetables over Firetie.
Speaker 2: How would you score your own aptitude when it comes to grilling?
Speaker 1: I mean, if I like, I'm a B plus, Okay, I would not throw myself a parade, but yeah, I've done it at parks before. And my current apartment has like a communal grill that I've used actually a good amount. But you you clean it when you're done. Everybody seems to be pretty respectful. It's a nice girl. It's a gas girl. So this one's not charcoal. So you make sure you turn off the propane, you make sure you turn off all the burners, you clean up after yourself, and everybody seems to do a good job. It's wonderful, Tie. It would be fun if we could somehow organize like a beat Bobby Flay style grilling competition between you and I. What do you think the like we would have to be like the same and like chicken thighs. What would you want to make like a flank steak? I had not thought about what I would like to make Dan, believe it or not. But what are you most confident in in your grilling ability? I'm very confident at the grilled steak. I mean, I know it's a I know it's a common thing. But and you'r do you reverse here? Do you do that? I've done both? Actually, what do you prefer? I prefer swede? Actually, oh great? Yeah? Man for in the ivory castle. See it before or see it afterwards? Excuse me, but I think a competition would be a lot of fun. I don't know how we do that, but I mean we both have access to grills now, so we do we do? All right? We just force our wives to be judges. All right? Next, let's go to This is interesting to me. Austin wants to know is it acceptable for an adult to refuse to eat anything with bits of onions or mushrooms, et cetera in it? So it's not I don't think this is specific onions or mushrooms, but is it acceptable? And I guess within the context of grilling or just a big, big pot of food or something like that. To refuse to eat something knowing that there are bits of something in it. I know a lot of people that won't eat anything with onions in it. I am. I am not one of those people. I know. I actually like them.
Speaker 2: I like mushrooms, so for me, it's not an issue. But I think it's acceptable provided they don't make a big stink out of it.
Speaker 1: Don't. Yeah, if it's the only thing being served and somebody's like, you know, I'm just gonna have gram crackers.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Like, as long as you don't make a production out of it because you've made if you've got some aversion to onions or mushrooms, that's fine, but just don't make a production out of it.
Speaker 1: Be cool. In that case, I'd say, yes, it's acceptable. I would. And it's acceptable if somebody's like, if somebody's grilling burgers and like the specialty, or they've decided to make like mushroom burgers, not like grilling like a big meaty portobello mushroom like cap or something, but they're like sauteg mushrooms and putting it on all the burgers, I think it's fine. To say, you know what, maybe just don't throw them on mine. But if it is, yes, if it's like a giant stew and there's just bits of onions and mushrooms, I think you gotta suck it up. I think that they're inoffensive enough and not change unless obviously you're allergic. But beyond that, I think you just got to go for it. If you're a grown up, you have to all right, where are we going next to here? Quinn, I'm gonna go, Quinn. Sure. Optimal marinating time for barbecuing chicken tie, uh, one to two hours? You would say a couple hours should be fine. I don't think chicken takes especially well to marinating to the point where you need to do it for an overnight period of time or something. I've actually I've done the overnight thing, and I've done the two hour thing, and I didn't really notice much of a difference. So I would I would just go like one or two hours. I think that's right. Underrated foods for grilling This of course comes to us from Krispy Brown. Shout out Krispy Brown, Smart Football. Underrated foods for grilling, as well as optimal grilling efficiencies this is how you know it's this is you know you know it's from him, I e. Dishes cooked inside and outside, transport of cooking, utensils, plates, et cetera. Ty, do you have efficiency and underrated grilling foods? Well? Have you ever grilled romaine lettuce? I have, and it's wonderful. It takes to it really nicely.
Speaker 2: Romaine lettuce would probably be my answer here for underrated foods for grilling. It does take a little bit of finesse, but it actually turns out a lot better than you'd expect.
Speaker 1: So for me, it's romine. My I think West Coast Cavin, come on in when you're ready, All right, West Coast Kevin's gonna beautiful early, I'm gonna say so. I don't think it's underrated, but I think it's something that's overlooked if you are willing to put in the time. This is why this is inefficient. Grilled pizza can be quite good because you can get that pizza steel if you have one of those pretty hot on a grill, and there's also add ons that can make it make your because it's the hotter the better with pizza obviously, but in terms of efficiencies, I would add, and this is actually West Coast Kevin's. Corn is a very efficient item to grill because whether you wrap it in foil or whether you go straight on, it takes a while. So you throw that on early on, and whenever it's done, just throw it up top to keep heated. Right. You don't need to, you know, pay a ton of attention to corn. You turn it every so often, but it's not something that you have to look after constantly. A corn.
Speaker 2: It's a very good in terms of like actual he mentions here utensils and plates, and I think he's talking about utility items when you're actually on the grill again. Me and my ivory tower. I've got a seer burner right on my grill, which is crazy efficient for doing all the searing. So I'm perhaps a little spoiled in that regard, but I go seer burner, is my answer.
Speaker 1: West Coast Kevin's here, ty yo, So here's my So the question is underrated grilling food and efficiency. I already mentioned your corn theory. Corn.
Speaker 3: You also have yellow onions which turn very sweet.
Speaker 1: Oh, and you can do it ahead of time, right.
Speaker 3: Longer you cook them, they're good, I mean really any vegetable is good because, like Dan said, the prep work is relatively minimal, and I think the yield is good because otherwise you end up with just like a ton of meat.
Speaker 1: That's true.
Speaker 3: And one of the great things about grilling that I like is you just like the dishes are minimal afterwards. So it makes sense. You already have a going and it's hot, you just keep throwing stuff on and throwing stuff on. But then you're left with a meat parade. The next day you create tons of chicken, tons of ribs overcook Yeah, exactly. But so it's good to mix in the vegetables.
Speaker 1: Yes, fair, Yeah, you want leftover grilled vegetables. That's a successful grilled situation to go with your meat parade. They're the spectators and the meat parade. The meat parade can also lead to the meat sweatstan which we've talked about at nauseum on our g chat. True. Yes, I would also in terms of underrated foods, anything with natural sugars like peaches or pineapples for desserts. I've grilled banana you got you have been a lot of a lot of water in them that they can sort of grill out of that's a great idea. Yeah, yeah, I think I think those are all. And always make sure if you're doing if you're grilling meats and you're bringing out a plate of raw meat, always walk out with two plates so you're not going back in for a clean plate. Just make sure everything is set when you're when you're there, and if like, vegetables can be cooked ahead of the barbecue, because you want to enjoy your time, excuse me the cookout, I'm sorry, everybody south of the Mason dates of mine. Ahead of things. Yes, you can grill vegetable and just throw them on for thirty seconds. So that's a more efficient method. All right, all right, the next question here, Yeah, charcoal or propane. I go propane, I go Arcole's fine, And just like with pancakes, I let everybody else do it and enjoy their work, and I'm just gonna do. I have gas and propane at my place. I've never grilled on charcoal before it gets it gets warm, and it's hot and it burns a good long time, but it's it's dirtier.
Speaker 3: Yeah, for a while I was a charcoal purist. Really, I got a procaine. Well, because that's how my dad did it. I want those little tiny grills in the backyard, and when I would go to parks and stuff to grill, obviously those aren't propanees. You have to bring your own charcoal and your lighter fluids. I learned how to do it that way, but then I got a grill of my own and it was propane, and I said, this is way easier and no cleanup.
Speaker 1: Basically, So next question from David wants no best flavors to infuse into vodka, tequila, or rum. Neither one of us speaking right now are huge drinkers on this end or on your end. But give me one. And by the way, camera guy Dave as opposed to West Coast Kevin for his wedding, was given. And they're pretty cool. As a non drinker, I just they look good. They're called like a what's like a window on a subway. What are those called, not a subway on like a submarine? A porthole. Yes, it's called a porthole. And you basically put fruit into an area of this like very clear looking canteen looking thing and you just have it hanging around for two weeks and it infuses with fruit. You got to be a pretty big drinker to have somebody to be like, I know, I'm going to get this person a fruit infuser alcohol porthole thing. But it's pretty good. Yeah, they do it for water too, but this was specific for alcohol because you let it in there for like two weeks instead of like a days. Cucumbers aren't bad, it can be refreshing. I would say pineapple would be my answer that. Yeah, board, I have a tequila rum and oranges, watermelon that sort of thing. I don't know. I've never been a huge fan of that. It's a lot of work. It is a lot of work. But I had a pineapple actually with West Coast Kevin in Brooklyn, I had one of the best cocktails ever and it was a It was a pineapple mint julip I was at a cocktail bar.
Speaker 3: What is the Can I ask you a question please? What is the process to infuse something? Like? How long beforehand do you need to begin the infusion?
Speaker 1: A couple hours? If you have a picture of something, if you're going to serve like a pineapple infused rum or something at a barbecue excuse me, sorry, everybody's South Air on line cookout, or if you're actually smoking mates. It's a barbecue. I guess a couple hours. I would say it just sits there. It just sits there, and the natural juices and sugars whatever run throughout, and you can shake it up. You can do all sorts of even there's physical activity you can do to speed it along. Next question comes to us from Gary, and I thought his name was Gary very strange, which was a great name. But it's almost that Gary wants to know I just got a deep fryer and have access to a smoker and grill, which, by the way, is such a great way of phrasing it, like does that mean his neighbors have it and like anytime you want to use it, or like he knows like the code to a local Low's. In any case, Gary.
Speaker 3: Connected in the underground smoking.
Speaker 1: No big deal. You want to smoke? I got a smoker? You had you own one? I have access, yeah, smoker. Anyway, Gary does affirmatively have a deep friar with access to a smoker and grill. What are good ideas to synergize synergize wow friar with these tools, he already plans to smoke and fry wings tie, do you have a deep friar slash smoker slash grill synergy idea.
Speaker 2: I do not have a synergy idea for this. I see the bubble, I see deep friar. I think I think of uh chicken.
Speaker 1: I think of potatoes, which I don't know if you make fries the right way to think of it, but I am. I guess wings. You could do wings. He's got the wings down. You could do sort of wings three ways. What came to the top of my head as a Mexican food nerd, I would say, fry some tortillas. You have some tostata shells. If you're smoking some smoke a pork button, carnitos or something like that, or you know, slowly, if you're making you're smoking a brisket, you have some taco shells if you want it. It's very easy to make taco shells and a fryer. I would also say, if you are grilling, even if you're making something basic like burgers and dogs, there are desserts you can fry ahead of time, ahead of your burger and dog grilling. Make some doughnut holes. Yeah, I think that that would be delicious. Okay, so that's what I would do. I would think about it in terms of the synergy of frying something ahead of time that won't dry out or lose its lust or while you're grilling or smoking something else. So churros, great churros are better out of the fryer.
Speaker 3: Never mind on the recommendation of either Dan or Scott. I got my wife a deep friar one time for her birthday.
Speaker 1: This would be a lion I fan Scott. Yeah, and I.
Speaker 3: Think that was just for the sole purpose of when you guys came over, she would fry stuff for us.
Speaker 1: Did we end up eating fried food out of the fryer?
Speaker 3: Well, she's made I think three things and then it's never been used.
Speaker 1: What are those three things?
Speaker 3: Sweep ptato, fries, and chicken. And I think she tried to make Benet's.
Speaker 1: Once power rank them.
Speaker 3: How they turned out fried chicken made yourself is amazing. Yes, And I never I never grew up with fried foods or accessed I wasn't like Gary who had access to a fried Gary.
Speaker 1: Has access to both a friar, a grill, and a smoke.
Speaker 3: I had the opposite. We ate very healthy. So that was probably the first time I actually had homemade fried chicken m hm, And I was like, this is this is incredible because you know previously it was mostly KFC, right, so yeah, the fried chicken would be one, the fries would be two. The Benet's that's just tough because you have to eat them right away. Yes, and if you're off by a little bit in terms of timing or crispy cry out. Yeah, but those are my only contributions.
Speaker 1: Ray wants to know, is assigning someone quote, plate and napkin duty so that you don't have to buy a ton yourself sort of insulting when inviting people to a party. I don't think so. No, I don't think so at all. No, they're buying them.
Speaker 2: Food, essential tools to the cookout, barbecue, grill out, picnic, what have you.
Speaker 1: If you should only be inviting people to your home for a cookout or whatever, if they're the type of people that say something like, what can I bring even if you have no plan on asking anybody to bring anything, that those are the type of people you should be associating yourself totally. So assigning someone plate napkin duty is almost saying thank you for being the type of person who asks, and yes, it'd be great if you could bring this, because I've cleaned my house and went out and bought meat or vegetables or whatever, and I'm spending time cooking them for you. So your contribution is the easiest possible thing. Some paper, napkins and plates and one hundred percent. No, that's perfectly fine.
Speaker 3: Nothing. There's nothing worse than going to a group food gathering or a potluck at work where you have three times the amount of two liter bottles of so do you need and no napkins and no napkins.
Speaker 1: No, you need a napkin, or you're out of spoons, but everybody just needs you'd like as people are, there's ten thousand Like I think Alanis Morissette has a song about this. Well, all you need is a fork a knife. Okay, But like if if somebody brings fruits out and you don't want to be fruit salad with a spoon, it's ridiculous.
Speaker 3: Or in my example, you have ten thousand ounces of mister pib.
Speaker 1: Now you needed something to get the barbecue sauce off your face. Next question, ty this is almost too close to home because the asker's name is Tyler. Is it acceptable? This has nothing to do with grilling with college football question. But Ty Hildenbrand fashions himself a bathroom etiquette maestro.
Speaker 2: On the corporate on the corporate level, yeah, on professional experience.
Speaker 1: Yes, So corporate bathroom etiquette is like Ties minor on his show. So anytime anybody asks the bathroom etiquette question, no matter the theme of the rest of the episode, Tie is happy to oblige with an answer. Sure, is it acceptable to not lock the door and have it hanging open when going number one in a stall? It depends. This could be applied to either work or like an airport or a restaurant or anything.
Speaker 2: Well, I think it depends. I think if you're at work, you gotta you gotta lock the door for just ping y it's a quick little tank. No, No, at work, gotta lock the door. It's a professional setting. Okay, let's be honest. But if you're at.
Speaker 1: Airport, restaurant, home depot, yeah.
Speaker 2: I mean if you're at if you're at more of a public setting where like an airport in particular, where everyone in the airport is sort of in a hurry trying to get to a gates and trying. Yeah, in a setting like that, it's okay, I think it a sports bar, you know, a restaurant. It's okay in a public setting such as that, but in a professional setting yet you have to cover your bases, if you will, and make sure that you lock the door behind you.
Speaker 1: Have you ever made, and I know you've been in such bathrooms, have you ever made one of a longer visit to a bathroom stall, so a seated visit, but at a particularly nice bathroom, like at a really nice hotel, or a country club, or a probably not a house, a house would not have stalls, but something like that where you've closed the door thinking you've locked it, and if the door were to swing open, it might be a little far away from your reach. Once you're already sitting down, and there you are faced with a choice that no man should have to make. It's a panicky moment, Dan, to be quite honest, it's a panicky moment. The problem that you have. Have you found your self in that scenario?
Speaker 2: I found myself in that scenario. The problem is that most of well I shouldn't say most of, but a lot of the door latches in said stalls are not properly installed.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so you think you're a lot, then they're not inspected with the right and then you.
Speaker 2: Break into a cold sweat when the thing just swings open because it wasn't installed on on the level or it doesn't latch properly. I found myself in that situation many a time.
Speaker 1: So what you found yourself in a situation with a door that you could not close from the seated position? Uh, where I've had to make a choice? Okay, and what would you say, as again the bathroom etiquette authority.
Speaker 2: It depends where you're at in the process. But if you can, if you can get up.
Speaker 1: To let's call it mid process.
Speaker 2: I've never been in that situation before. I think you have to take care of the process. Trust the process before.
Speaker 1: You get up, Trust the process before you get up to latch the door again, Dan, Otherwise you're talking about a bigger issue. So the correct order of operations is conclude, at least temporarily conclude process, complete the football move. If you're anticipating minutes more of processing, what if it's an elaborate process. We're talking about a splash and go here, which is a very difficult maneuver. But I think you're hoping it. I think if you can, you have to get to the door to try and relatch it.
Speaker 3: Do you have any in this situation that Tyler proposed here? Do you have any sympathy for the people who are coming in and want to check to know if someone's in the store, right, And it's a great disservice to them to have to bend all the way down to see feet, whereas if the door was a jar, Oh, and you can walk by and you can see their back. I mean, nothing more is revealed in a stall than it would be.
Speaker 1: It's every man for himself in there, dude, and for anyone else coming in.
Speaker 3: But I hate doing that. Don't you hate doing that? Like at an airport and when you have bags and you're carrying them in there and you have to like bend all the way down to see, like whose feet are? Well?
Speaker 1: Why whired, vacant and occupied signs limited to plane laboratories rather than every day? Oh?
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's true, that would solve it. But I'm just saying that's a that's a tough spot to be.
Speaker 2: It's well, Jerry Seinfeld has a whole bit on this. He has a whole bit on this. Yeah, why why do they still make the doors from Dan and I for bathrooms that don't go all the way down.
Speaker 1: Okay, next question. I think I feel like we got to a good place with that. Yeah. Sure, Ryan wants to know it's twenty four. Would love to throw fourth the July party at his new apartment. We've a rooftop deck. This is his word. He is a rooftop deck overlooking the Baltimore Harbor. Wow, Baltimore, Right, that's what they say, Baltimore. Yeah, and we haven't really broken it in yet. I want to make it a somewhat official event with a fair amount of people. But I tend to scoff at evites. I think that's kind of understandable. Sure, I get that evites. Can you know you never know when you're supposed to actually one? By the way, do we talk through the issue of being engaged and kicking around the idea of sending out an evite for either the reception and or the rehearsal dinner. We have talked about that. I'm pro, I would talk more. I am pro as well.
Speaker 2: However, I tried to advance that theory, Oh, never gonna happen, and yeah it did.
Speaker 1: Don't don't even bother Ty, when you and I get married, Yeah, that's well, yeah, exactly, it'll be local evite city. How do I make it official without sounding like it's a wedding or a bar mits of invitation. I'm excited to make it nicer than an average Bio twenty four rac type of party, but I'm a bit lost at drawing interest. Okay, so, Ty, you want to make it. You want to officially invite people, so like there's no doubt as to like what kind of party it is. Where it's not just like, yeah, I'm throwing some burgers on the girl, come over. You actually want it to be a thing that like people take seriously about coming over for right, what is that middle ground? I mean like group text and evite? I have it. Hit me, I have it because I've done it.
Speaker 2: Here's what you do, Okay, if you can, if you don't want to go over the top, use the Facebook event thing, all right, use a Facebook event thing and invite all your friends if you want to have them invite friends, so be it. But if you're a creative guy, and I think I know the question asker here, mm hmm, and I believe he is a creative type.
Speaker 1: If you're creative person. I believe, I believe. I believe this is Ryan, who's who helped us with our reverbs at one point. Yes, okay, great, perfect. Ryan's a really creative dude. All right.
Speaker 2: You can make up a lot of ground without being way over the top if you just write something funny in the description. Write something funny, right, Just write something funny in the description. That's gonna it's gonna latch onto people, gonna make them want to come to your shindig. And then you don't got to worry about like graphic design or sending anything out through the mail, or even doing one of those fancy evites.
Speaker 1: Just write something funny in the description and you're fine. That's all you gotta do. Here's my quick counter. Facebook is the creepy cousin of the evite. In twenty eighteen, fewer people perhaps are on Facebook or check Facebook as often, so I think that's a little trickier. Here's what I would do. Still, go with a group email instead of an evite, because also, you got it. With evites, you have to like select graphics and stuff can be cheesy. I say, you just sent out a group email subject line eleven and a half reasons you should become in a Ryan's barbecue or the top barbares is same page here right, same page. So you're you're going with a lighthearted thing and you list out reasons because who doesn't love a list on the internet and they can let one we're gonna have like you describe the food. Two you describe some weird o friends. It's like a BuzzFeed article. Yeah, Brent's gonna be there and he's going to do his stupid magic tricks and he's gonna leave early. So don't worry about it. Like you just make different items weird and funny. Our friend Andy Wall did this for her rehearsal dinner and it was a great idea, not for inviting people, but for writing the restaurant itself. Here's like eleven reasons you should host the exactly it'd be perfect dinner.
Speaker 2: And you could do it through do it through Google Google as like a free Google forms.
Speaker 1: You can send out a Google form, do it. I think just direct emails is a good idea. Sure, all right, let's doll like one or two more here we're running pretty long. It's a free show.
Speaker 3: Tie wait before we move on, cam we back up a little bit place. Can you scroll down so I can see that email. I've never felt older than when Dat Dan said, Oh I know me too, e Yo twenty four rack type of party?
Speaker 1: I read it? And what type of party is that?
Speaker 3: I have no clue.
Speaker 1: I think it's like a bring your own case of beer, bring your own twenty four pound.
Speaker 3: So I thought twenty four related to his age because it says he is twenty four, right, Oh, but then twenty four racks, so twenty four modifies rack in that's in that clause there.
Speaker 1: So this last clarification is being brought to you by Centrum Silver. We're all very old.
Speaker 3: But then I was wondering our twenty four year old's on Facebook anymore?
Speaker 1: On that theme, that's true, all the cool kids went over to Instagram.
Speaker 3: So go send it out via blockchain, send it out by a blockchain LinkedIn invite? Is that how blockchain works?
Speaker 1: I really do not know. I really don't know.
Speaker 3: I wanted to invite to Ryan's b YO twenty four.
Speaker 1: You know what? What is? What is your house of run at gmail dot com? Yeah? Ryan, invite house of run at gmail dot com. He probably won't be there, but he will proof read it. Yeah, it'll be a bad sign if I like it. Former English teacher.
Speaker 3: I'm clearly not the target demo here, but I just wanted to clarify and know if anybody else was confused.
Speaker 1: Joey wants to know tongues or spatula for outdoor booth. Now, obviously, obviously the answer is both, depending on the meat, depending on the vegetable whatever. You don't want to turn corn over with dispatch no, But if you had to choose one tie, what do you think best defines your hand grilling technique. I'm hashtag team tongs here all the way, Team tongs. Yeah.
Speaker 2: My problem with dispatula is when your your grilling subject terrible way to freeze it. But whenever you're grilling something he gets stuck to the to the greats. Sometimes you have we'll get in the spatul underneath it. Sometimes you don't, and you inadvertently gun the piece of meat all the way against the back of the grill, which I know, I know it's a knock factor. I know it's like sterile in there because it gets to eight hundred degrees, but it's still it's it still creeps me out a little. Bit, so I would I prefer.
Speaker 1: I would say, without a doubt, tongues are a better utility. They're more varied in their ability. But the sound a spatula makes when you're scooping a burger right against that grill, great and have like that perfect flip, But that sound, that scoop sound, I think it is an elite sensation that tongs just will never give you that I'm going, I'm going tongue if I had to choose one, Okay for me.
Speaker 3: It's tough though, because if you're doing burgers, you can't do burgers with tongs. Yeah, so I guess it just depends what your grill.
Speaker 1: I think you probably could do. You could you peak to see if it's fully cooked on the bottom to the point that you I mean, you'll see the puddle of meat juice.
Speaker 3: But if the tops uncooked and you're flipping it over.
Speaker 1: Hey, do they do they make spatula tongues. Yeah, they get flathead tongues. Yeah, I think you can get flathead tongus. Here's your answer. Yeah, Joey good nickname by the way, Yeah, flathead tongue. Final question, This is an easy answer as well, but we like to go out easy ty yeah, board commander, really good screen name. When attending a we'll correct him and say Google by someone who is certifiably grill literate. Oh, I love that good term. Good term. Probably didn't make it up, but used it really well. Perfect. What is the safest option to request hot dog, hamburger, chicken, something else. What's the hardest thing to mess up? The answer is clearly hot dog. It's definitely not chicken. Yeah, Chicken's the easiest to screw up. It's dead easy.
Speaker 2: Chickens either like bone dry because it's been on for forty five minutes or potentially infected with salmonella, so you don't want.
Speaker 1: No chicken sashimi for yeah.
Speaker 2: And the hamburger, you know you're probably safe even if you get it a little on the rawer side of things. But still nobody likes getting a burger that's still bleeding. So hot dog is clearly the answer here. Hot dogs arrive fully cooked exactly.
Speaker 1: The worst thing that will happen to a hot dog is either it's served to you kind of warm or kind of dry. But in terms of safety, hot dog is because you can also just look at a hot dog and be like, no, that's this is what I want it right now. Just give it to me, Give me that hot dog. Okay. I'm gonna regret saying phrasing things like this, Give me that barbecue, that grill item right now, and that's fine because it'll be fine no matter when you take it off the grill. All right? Do we get anything else in here? Do you want to cover? Yeah? Just because just because he's such a illuminary Peter Hoffman quickly, Oh, better outdoor experience an evening with dinner outside or a good sunrise with a cup of coffee. It's tire you rolling dusk or don I'm going to George Clooney salmahayak okay dusk. Yeah, I think that's right. I can respect it. It depends on where you are for the morning, like if you're overlooking an ocean or something. But even still overlooking an ocean at night is better. Yes, So yeah, I'm with uh chill breeze at night. Well, since we have him here West Coast Kevin no longer truly West Coast Kevin.
Speaker 3: South of the Mason Dixon line, I'm here to correct all your barbecue.
Speaker 1: Yeah, tell true, Tell the people where they can find you.
Speaker 3: House of Run dot com is the website. It's a track and field running podcast.
Speaker 1: Come on more enthusiasm. I feel like it is the quintessential track and field and running enthusiast podcast. We have crossover listeners, so you're doing them a disservice.
Speaker 2: Is it still the Is it still the fastest running podcast online?
Speaker 3: It is, although we changed we changed the logo when I moved out here and change jobs. I believe we've tapped out all the crossover listeners. I found out there was like three or four college football people who said, hey, I found you guys via the solid verbal. I was really happy just to take those three and move on. But if there are any people out there, I mean, maybe there's some USC fans who are very thrilled.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, they should be by.
Speaker 3: Their women's title in the most it's a very connic way.
Speaker 1: That was incredible.
Speaker 3: It's four by four. Maybe they're out there and they want to, you know, get track twenty four seven, three sixty five. You can check out the House of.
Speaker 1: Run if you're a track and field nerd.
Speaker 3: I'm also Dan's personal running coach too.
Speaker 1: That is true. It is going poorly, must say and that's more on me than it is on Kevin. If you're into track and field, if you're if you like it in the Olympics and you want to follow it more during non Olympic years. If you're into college running, if you're a runner yourself and you want Kevin and Jason to help you out, they probably won't, but there's a chance. Listen to the House of Run.
Speaker 3: Dan comes on to previous the New York City Marathon every year, and he inexplicably has gotten at least one winner in the men's race or women's race for the entire time we've done this, So we've done that episode seven times. Ye. Danly picks a winner every year, and it's getting to the point where it's frustrating because Jason and I oftentimes get zero the two right. I think it's not that hard to pick one of the winners, right, Dan can do it, But it is because marathons are hard to predict.
Speaker 1: One hundred percent of the time. I'm either right or wrong.
Speaker 3: Facts, Well, you get I think time you've got one of them right? Did you tell them about you run this morning?
Speaker 1: I did not tell them about the run. It's just that I tried to run and had to take a quick process break. Okay, yeah, and it was listen, I got a good sweat on, I got some some some cow's bacon. But it was the door was swinging over Austin's tough man. The Austin heat is rough.
Speaker 3: The door was swingle. But he went There was a line time about nine porta potties.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's that's tough.
Speaker 3: I was worried for Dan because I don't know what his position is on porta potties. And I said, look, this is the best I can I can give to you. But he came out I think in better shape than he went in. And ye, we were able to finish, but again I still have my work cut out.
Speaker 1: That's that's the closest you can feel to dying as a man in a hot portal in a hot porta potty.
Speaker 2: About actually being sicker and any real peril the hot porta pot is. That's enough to really test your metal.
Speaker 1: Wep and tested it did, ty tested it did all right, that's all everything we got.
Speaker 2: This seems like a terrific moment to tell people that they can find us at soliverbal at gmail dot com if they've got any further commentary they'd like to submit. We're also at solid verbal dot com, iTunes dot com, slash solid Verb. Will find us on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, also where else. We're on Google, Spotify, tune in, stitch or all the usual hot spots where you can find podcasts.
Speaker 1: We will be back in a week. We promise.
Speaker 2: We'll talk more college football in the meantime for my good friend Dan Rubinstein down there in Austin, Texas, and alongside him longtime friend of the pod who we have to have back in again at some point to talk about all things life and football and running or whatever else.
Speaker 1: West Coast, Kevin, we'll catch you. We'll catch you on a week meantimes. Stay solid, hey,