Speaker 1: The volume.
Speaker 2: Does your favorite NBA player have what it takes to be crowned King of the Court? Find out at DraftKings sports book and official sports betting partner of the NBA. DraftKings is offering one million a day in bonus bets for the first ten days of the NBA season. That's ten million in bonus bets. Here's how to shoot your shot. Opt in get a daily NBA profit Boost token. You pick a pregame NBA player prop to boost. If that player leads the league that night in points, rebounds assists, you win a share of a million bucks in bonus bets. Just download the DraftKings sportsbook app. The code is Collins Coli in to want a share of a million dollars in bonus bets. If your player is King of the Court only on DraftKings, the crown is yours.
Speaker 3: Gambling problem call one eight hundred gambler in New York called eight seven seven eight ope and WY or text hope and Y four six seven three six nine in Connecticut. Help is available for problem gambling. Call eight eight eight seven eight nine seven seven seven seven or visit CCPG dot org. Please play responsibly on behalf of Boothill Caseno when resorting Kansas twenty one and over. Agent eligibility varies by jurisdiction. Boyd in Ontario Bonus Betskspire one hundred and sixty eight hours after issue in four additional terms and responsible gaming resources see dkng don Coe slash b Ball.
Speaker 4: All Right.
Speaker 2: Former NFL scout. He hosts three and Out podcast Hardest working Guy in This business and totally tied into the San Francisco forty nine ers who hold on to beat Dallas thirty to twenty four.
Speaker 4: I didn't.
Speaker 2: I didn't think it would be that close. You know, we'll spend fifteen twenty minutes on this Listen their things. San Francisco does well. They run the ball. They had, you know, two hundred yards rushing. Dallas doesn't run the ball. We knew that going into the season. They had just I thought they adjusted really well at halftime tonight they were really struggling stopping Dallas in the first half. Dallas was getting a push and then the kind of exploded in the third quarter. I do not trust this Niner pass rusher team Laighton games. They've been burned late in games. I thought brought pretty really struggled low off target early. I thought later in the second half to gain confidence, he used his legs a little bit, started moving, kind of gain confidence, hit on some nice throws.
Speaker 4: Kittle had a great night.
Speaker 2: You know, I think there's a difference between Dallas and San Francisco. I think San Francisco is a good team that is just physically like the Rams in the first month, just beat up. They just don't have enough good players. I think Dallas is a bad team that actually played pretty well tonight. They got to break when the couple of Niners banged into each other and Ceedee Lamb got a you know, wide open touchdown. And I've been saying this for a while. Dallas almost if you're a cowboy fant and I You're like, wow, we made it competitive at the end. I think they got to take a swing.
Speaker 4: John.
Speaker 2: I think they have to do something in the offseason. I think they have to sell some pieces, get two high draft picks. I don't see the way out for Dallas. Dak is ordinary. They're paying him a fortune, They're locked into him. If Ceedee Lamb twisted his ankle. They don't have a guy on this offensive roster that you would be forced to roll coverage over. I think it's despite the score tonight, I think it's grimmer for Dallas than people think, especially with Washington now like looking like the next decade they're gonna be locked in with Jade Daniels.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know, this is not a game. I guess you need to worry about most people box score scouting because everyone watches it. But that score, I mean, they scored two touchdowns in the last five or six minutes of the game. One of the drives was a seventy second drive, which you know is pretty unheard of in the NFL. Obviously the Niners the first touchdown drive playing way off. You know what hit me tonight is the forty nine Ers have beat these guys now four times in a row, twice in the playoffs. They molly wopped him last year on Sunday Night Football. They were up in this game twenty seven to ten, missing a lot of guys. This matchup, which is one of the biggest matchups of my life in terms of brands in the history, is currently Kyle Shanahan, who's you know for a young guy who's been coaching in the NFL for twenty years and his dad is one of the most famous offensive coaches of all times, so he's been around football's whole life. And John Lynch, who currently last year or two years ago just went into the Hall of Fame. That's the forty nine ers brass building this team against an eighty plus year old Jerry Jones. It just it was like, this is not really a fair fight, because it's not like they both hit on some high end players Micah cd nick Bosa, Right, I mean they've both hit on trade for Trent Williams paying a bunch of money. But the forty nine Ers team is littered with guys in the fourth, fifth, sixth round. That Isaac Grendo is a fourth round rookie running back and boom, plug and play. What's the whole thing? Cowboys? No running back? They're playing Zeke can't run away from me or you who's tough, physical guy but can't move. They draft Isaac, well, guess what, I think he went a couple picks right after the pick that they traded for Trey Lance, who is their third string quarterback. Right, and listen, I admire Jerry's clearly from a business standpoint. He's been incredible for thirty plus years. I mean, hell, they sell practice facility tours to make a little ex income. But that he tried to strike oil on that one, and sometimes he does that, and you're not gonna strike oil Jerry, like you're gonna take Kyle who are you bidding against? On that one? And the other quarterbacks in his draft class who are way better went for like six and seventh round picks Fields, Mac Jones, Zach Wilson. So that's kind of a microcosm of Kyle Shanahan, John Lynch. But you could just go right less need Sean McVeigh, Dan Brad Holmes, Dan Campbell, Guda Kin's lafor how is Jerry compete the NFC even you know the Eagles Sirianni's under but no one questions Howie's intelligence. So from a football standpoint, in that conference doesn't have the high end quarterbacks of the Mahomes, Alan Lamar, Burrow Herbert, but it does have very very high level front office and football guys, coach and GM combos that I would say and have built very very good teams. Because you watch the Cowboys, they got injuries. Like you said, how many guys are on the sideline for the Niners. Hell, halfway through the game, Deebo's got a seventeenth injury of the season and he's in the blue ten. Didn't even matter to me that score, Like, don't get me wrong, I mean it was You're on the edge of your seat. Those last couple of minutes not really indicative what we witnessed when the Niners really put a pedal in the medal there and when the game mattered.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean what's discouraging is for a long time the Niners were fifty percent on third down with a lot of time to play. They had four hundred and fifty yards.
Speaker 1: They didn't party. Was, like you said, atrocious in the first half, Miss Vase Carrolls.
Speaker 2: Yeah, underneath stuff like layups and beat up. I mean, they have like seven starters out. It's just it's this is almost encouraging for Dallas because they were competitive.
Speaker 1: I off a bye though, you know, with Jerry talking a bunch of crap, they were kind of motivating. I thought they threw the kitchen sink and they ran out of juice.
Speaker 4: That's what I think.
Speaker 2: I mean. Mike McCarthy, actually he's not Andy Reid, but he's top five or six coach in the league off a bye, so and they had a very solid first half and then and then again you can only tweak, you know. I mean it's just interesting to watch, Like Ricky Pearsol, he got a little run. I mean, they're using cowling on punts. They're they're getting a lot of different guys involved, you know, and it's funny in the NFL you're allowed to whift. I mean John Lynch is whiffed on some guys. I mean, you know, he's taken swings and missed on guys. That wide receiver from f m U he was a second or third round.
Speaker 4: Pick, Gray Terrible. Yeah, yeah, so, I mean.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean less and McVeigh missed on Logan Bruss, the second round guard, who's just a perennial backup second round guard to two at well, you know he'll be gone here soon. So I mean, it's okay to miss people miss all the time. Pete Carroll had hits, he had misses. I mean, he had Rashad Penny in the first round as a running back that never panned out really, so, but it's just I just feel San Francisco also the advantage that San Francisco has they're they're better at drafting, but they also have a coach that has a certain style, so stylistically, there are things you can draft that almost always work with Shanahan, like running backs, slot receivers. It's they almost always work because you know, it's like they're like with Andy Reid. I mean, they've missed on some wide receivers, which by the way, is the hardest position to draft in the first round in the NFL because I mean, for a lot of reasons. A lot of times you get a mature quarterback. He's just not patient. He just doesn't want to wait for some kid to figure out the routes. They don't trust.
Speaker 4: That was Brady in New England.
Speaker 1: He just did Historically. It was one of the bigger busting positions to the last six or seven years when the college football changed.
Speaker 4: Yep.
Speaker 2: But I feel like with San Francisco, when you when you got the coach right and you have a player and a GM and a coach relationship that's strong, you kind of know you kind of know where to draft. I mean, like the guy George Patten in Denver was Sean Payton. If you look at Sean Payton's history, Mickey Loomis and New Orleans drafting for Sean Payton. He knew positions that worked for Sean, so he didn't miss on certain positions. Dallas, it feels like you just kind of taken the best value in the draft and you're not quite I mean, they've hit on their first round picks, but a lot of misses, a lot of you know, Tyron Smith, they had on Zack Martin, do on Ceedee Lamb, they hit on Michael Parsons. They've been pretty good in the first round, but I don't feel like they find enough elite. They don't find like San Francisco Kittle fifth round, Jennings sixth round, brought pretty seventh round. I don't feel like Dallas creates that.
Speaker 1: Well, look at that last drive when they get the ball back. There wasn't forty five seconds left, There was almost three minutes with a two minute warning. You could just run a normal drive. What do they they can't run the ball? Well, Girndo is the forty nine ers. He's not their backup running back. He's their third string running back, because I mean, what would they do to have Girndo or Jordan Mason on their team? But they can't run a normal drive because they can't run the ball, so they have to attempt to throw it and they go basically four and out right in the game. The game immediately ends. And this gets back to building the team. Like I get where Jerry's like, we didn't have the money, Derrick Henry would not have looked like he did on the Cowboys. But you should be able to find good running backs with ease midway through the draft, undrafted free agents, guys for a couple millions on the scrap heap instead of what did Jerry do? Kind of like Bill at the latter end of his career with coaches right brings back all these guys Zeke Elliott, Like who else? How is Zeke Elliott getting run for you? It doesn't make any sense. So this is what happens when like ultimately there has to be some checks and balances. Do you think John and Kyle agree all the time. No, But they have an offensive philosophy a defensive philosophy, and they can find middle ground and they can help each other out. Veitch and Andy are the best example. Like the personnel guys and coaches butt heads. It's natural. One guy's living in the moment the other guy sees it, you know, kind of from a forty thousand foot view sometimes, and Jerry has no balance. You're not listening to anything Mike's telling him. I mean, Stephen is in a tough position as his son. It's like maybe he can influence them a little. But at this point in time, we all know. Anyone that's ever been around a really, really old guy who has a lot of money, they're naturally very stubborn. And Jerry is that on steroids clearly right now. I mean the words he said, I mean that that article that came out this week about the tours, Yeah, to me, that is not coming out if everything hadn't happened the previous couple weeks. It was ripe for the taking right there, Jerry, Like that is a product of Jerry Jones. No one was talking about those tours were going on last year when they were twelve and five and hosting the playoff game. But no one cares, right, But the moment you start leaking oil, things get weird. Jerry's being I mean, he's he's being it's a little different, but he's got some mal Davis two thousand and seven vibes, right now doesn't.
Speaker 4: He Yeah, yeah, you know.
Speaker 2: The other thing watching this is that I don't see a big separation with Dak Prescott and Brock Purty. The difference is Brock is free and Dak's sixty million. I mean when I watch them play, you know, they both can be a little spotty with their accuracy. I think at this point, Brock runs better than Dak. I think Dak ran better about three years ago, but Daks from bank, so I think Brock runs better. I think accuracy, they're both kind of the same. Neither has a big arm down field good enough, they both see the field particularly well. They're both grown ups. I feel like pre snap they're both fine. But the difference is one's free and and one is now paid. Top of the league. And so I mean, and you got that thing hasn't even kicked in yet. So I just I look and I look at the NFC, John, and I've said this, I'm watching Detroit today kick the you know what, out of Tennessee, Detroit maybe the best team in the league. And here comes Washington and Chicago can play. Philadelphia had its best game in forever today. You know, green Bay is just stacked offensively. If Jordan Love can stay healthy, I think that. I think the Rams are going to go on a run here now now that they got their receivers healthy. If they can get their interior O line healthy, I think they'll go on a run. Hell Arizona is a tough out.
Speaker 1: With they're they're they're four and four. They're technically in first place right now and then in the division.
Speaker 2: So I just I I mean, let's concentrate on San Francisco instead of lamenting the Cowboys. I do think if they can get healthy in the next six weeks, what's their ceiling.
Speaker 1: I think they can compete for Super Bowl because they've beat all these teams, all the teams you just rattled off. I mean, they've owned Sean McVeigh. They actually play the Lions and the Packers here coming up, and they beat both those two teams. Now they got them at home, and right now they're not hosting those teams even if they pull off this division, right, I mean, it looks like Detroit's gonna be the number one seed. They get a buye right now. So you're four and four, you take a deep breath. This season has been the season from Hell. To me. Every team has it, But what are your standards? The Jets have it, They're done. The Niners have it. It's like four and four, Okay, does Christian McCaffrey come back in two weeks? And then their schedule opens up a little bit at Tampa, who just lost their best two players and they gave everything they had today and it's just not gonna be enough in there in shambles. Then they get Seattle, who they own, so you could look up pretty quick. And then the forty nine ers are six and four and they can take a deep breath. Now they have to. They have a trip where they go, oh, I don't know, I don't know the order, but it's at Green Bay and at Buffalo. Yeah, so I mean those two games, and then they played Detroit at home late in the season. So to me, if you can win one of those three games, handle some division games like this could be a ten and seven team will win the division. And then the one thing the advantage you have is a coach and a bright lights, battle hardened team like you saw George Kill. The night lights are the brightest. Dallas Cowboys. I'm gonna fucking dominate, Yeah, Samuel Fred Warner, same within Nick Bosa, so they are not gonna be intimidated by any of these teams. Now, they need Christian McCaffrey back. They need Deebo Samuel to stay healthy, and Drake Greenlaw would help as well. But these guys are all I mean, I think Debo will be fine, but if they can get Christian back like that would be a pretty big addition. There's not a if you tell me Christian McCaffrey's eighty eighty five percent of the guy we saw last year. I mean, there's not a team in the league that could trade for a better player given what he means to this team. Right.
Speaker 2: I do wonder about the defense, third coordinator. Defensively, in three years the pass they.
Speaker 1: Weren't that good. They weren't that good last year though, and they made the Super Bowl.
Speaker 2: But the NFC is better, I think. I mean, green Bay was too young, now they're not. Detroit was the hunter. Now that the hunted, I think they're better. Washington's real. I mean, I think Atlanta's a tough out and if Atlanta, if you had to go to Atlanta.
Speaker 4: You just you know Atlanta.
Speaker 1: I think the Niners would like their chances in that one. The NFC North would be a problem for them. I think Kirk Cousins they'd be licking their lips because but non mobile quarterbacks, they historically have been really good, even though their pass rush isn't as good. To me, the Jordan loves the Detroit They don't have a mobile quarterback, but their offense is so dynamic.
Speaker 4: Do you think the Niners are well coached defensively?
Speaker 1: Uh?
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I think one thing that's hurt them that they always I think their coach has probably got too much credit. I mean, Demiko was legit, but Sala probably got too much credit. And when they've played well this year and last year is when you just got four great pass rushers. I mean, like that's a d line coach and just pure talent that makes everyone look better. I do think their defensive backs are pretty good, and so obviously Fred Warner is, you know, the best linebacker in the league. Do they have Steve Spagnola or you know Brian Flores? No, they do not, but they do have on every level good players. So I don't know what the hell happened there down the stretch. That was pretty embarrassing, especially like it's one thing of a couple of random guys break plays, but eighty eight like that, that cannot happen. But I do think they have the talent to compete with all these teams. Would I bet my money for them to win the Super Bowl as we sit here right now, or to win the NFC, I would not. But no team in the NFC, and it includes the Eagles who got to the Super Bowl a couple of years ago, have had more recent playoff success than the forty nine ers. They've won on the road, they've won at home. They are coaching mismatch, their player mismatch in terms of their comfortability in those moments. I mean that they have a lot of guys, guys who have been through the ringer, so they'll probably be an underdog if they're on the road in Green Bay or you know, Detroit or whatever. But you wouldn't just say a god, obviously, health, you know, impacts this. You wouldn't say they would have no shot in these games. The other things you saw in that game, you know, once Dak shattered his ankle, he clearly has never moved the same. Perty That looked a little like the second half in some of those playoff games where he just gets you some extra first downs and he doesn't turn the ball over. When he turns the ball over, the Niners offense bad. When he doesn't, and they run the ball, they tend to win.
Speaker 2: I thought at halftime it was fairly clear that Kyle had told him, you know what, we're gonna move, run, keep it yourself. And I also think, to Pretty's credit, I think, you know, I used to say this about Lebron for most of his career. He'd lose confidence in the jumper and he'd say, Okay, I'm just gonna take you to the basket, and then over the course of two or three games, he'd hit some jumpers and he'd get his confidence back. I thought, CURTI lost his confidence a little bit in the first half. He threw behind a couple of receivers. He threw low, and it kind of felt like and he knew it, and it kind of felt like, Okay, I'm just gonna start moving here a little bit, you know, I want to. I want to kind of get the mojo back. And I thought he did, and I thought, yeah, and I think, you know, he's a pro athlete. And then I thought he got confidence back. And then it's like getting your jumper back, and then he made a couple of big throws down the field. Couple won really nice though to Kidle, and so I thought in the second half was a truer, a truer copy.
Speaker 1: Of what.
Speaker 2: Brought pretty is. I thought he had a bad first half. I thought in the second half, that's that's a truer version of him.
Speaker 1: I think the thing with him is we just need to put him into context, like, separate from the contract. He's not as good as the top guys, but when he plays well, he can be good as that next here that you can win a lot of games with as you build the team. And my whole thing is if you have any question marks, like you would just play it again next year. This isn't one of those where, right the Niners are some poverty franchise like the Jags. We got to give him two hundred million and then you regret it. No, take a deep breath. He's making a bunch of money. He loves being here. There's no better spot for him, and you just this is a fluid situation. But he plays like that, plays winning football, like he's got a place with Kyle. Because that's the other thing with this coach, you kind of need a specific type quarterback. The one problem with the Niners is, and we talk about this all the time, is you know their offense can be so run dependent because the pass then comes off that they can't really the one thing that McCarthy and Dak have no problem doing, spread it out, playing the shotgun like they're comfortable with a lot of teams all over the NFL. It's not really the forty nine ers passing game, you know.
Speaker 4: No, they're not. They're not a come from behind team necessarily.
Speaker 1: Now.
Speaker 2: I mean, I think they tend to get leads because I think they're really schematically ahead of the curve. So I mean when you watch them play, there's just two or three things. I always feel like they always have a good early drive, They always run the football, they almost always have a pass rush, They create turnovers. I mean, there's a lot of really good things that they do. They're not special at quarterback. But in this second half, when you watch perty, you're like, oh, I get it, they moved the pocket. I just I think you have to feel if you're San Francisco tonight thirty twenty four of Dallas, you played a pretty poor first half your quarterback was off, You're missing seven to eight key players, Deebo gets hurt in the game, and you're like, we won. I mean we got five hundred yards of offense. I think in the end, I mean they lose tonight they're three and five.
Speaker 1: Oh, it would have been it would have felt like the season and it would have.
Speaker 2: Been I mean, you would have had to look yourself in and go, do we peel off a guy or too at the trade deadline, like we have to get picks.
Speaker 1: It would have been one of the worst losses I've ever seen in my entire life of watching this franchise, and for a minute, you're on the edge of your seat, You're like, this isn't really gonna happen. I do think there's something to be said when you have a coach and you have the core of your team that has seen it all good and bad. And that's one thing the Chiefs have. I know, they've they've won the two Super Bowls, but they've also gone through some crazy bad stretches these last couple of years. They're very comfortable in every environment, and the forty nine ers over the course of these last three years have had slow starts I think twenty two. They started three and five, So it's like they are used to some madness for a really, really good team, and they're comfortable in these environments. Now they got some big games. I gotta get guys back. But it all comes down if Perty's playing well, they have a chance to beat anybody. When he plays like he did last week against the Chiefs, they become very average to below quick because their defense, like you said, it's not as dominant in years past, but at any moment they could get an interception, Fredkin forms a fumble. They have like they can be disruptive at a moment's notice, and all of a sudden they get the ball and flip a field like that that they're not as likely to hold you to two hundred yards and those days are done.
Speaker 2: Thirty twenty four, San Francisco over the Cowboys. Thursday Night Football is on. It's only on Prime video, best season yet pack with big rivalries and even bigger stars al Michaels, Kirk Kirkstreek, Kaylee Hartung. Every week, games you can't miss Coverage begins at seven Eastern with Football's Best Party TNF Tonight. Thursday Night Football Tonight if you're not a Prime member, No problem, Sign up thirty day free trial, cancel any time Thursday Night Football and it's on Prime Video. Restrictions apply. Seeamazon dot com slash Amazon Prime for details. Are Week eight reaction presented by Uber Eats Get almost almost Anything for Game Day greatest ugly game in the history of the NFL. Washington beats the Bears eighteen to fifteen on a hail Mary. Let me just start with this. Washington was the better team. They were the better coached team. I thought Chicago's offensive coaching at the end of the game was egregiously horrible. Late in the game, and I give me, let me just say, Caleb and his movement and his side arming stuff. You can see the Mahomes comps. He's running around the old lines getting overwhelmed. I mean, first of all, it was nine to nothing at half. Chicago had thirty three yards passing in the first half. I thought the game was over. But Chicago, you know, their defense, you know, kind of kept him in the game. And then Washington's offense stalled. But I got us John the third and goal where the Bears did the fridge perry. The following drive on a third down to win the game. You thought they did a draw, essentially putting in the hands The whole game came down one play, Thank god, Keenan Allen.
Speaker 4: It was past interference. I didn't get that. I mean, they made no attempt.
Speaker 2: It felt like the third down was just setting up fourth down and they had to have a touchdown to take a lead. So I just couldn't stand Chicago's offensive coaching.
Speaker 4: And I know it to hail.
Speaker 2: Mary, but my was Washington was a better team.
Speaker 1: One could not agree more. There was a stat that popped up, I think in the second half that said he was four of thirteen for thirty six yards. That being Caleb. I thought, on this drive can't be the game, and I had a double check it was the game. Their offense was horrendous, their defense was outstanding. I wrote down, I mean even when it was nine to nothing, it felt I mean twenty eight to nothing. Yeah, complete control. Jayden didn't just look like the best player in the game. He looked like one of the best players in the league. The thing I wrote down is if you could pick these two coaching staffs, Ibra flus Waldron and Dan Quinn Cliff Kingsbury, the gap is like going from a star starting quarterback to some random backup. You're like, it's not even close. That's why when they take the lead, I'm like, listen, it's sports. Crazy things happen. But there haven't been many games this season where a team would have came away with a victory that was like, oh, you didn't. You didn't even come close to call the play to a backup offensive lineman on like I was one years old with the refrigerator Perry plays, but he did it a lot right. It was part of their arsenal. They weren't a good obviously Walter Payton, but they weren't some dynamic offense. You got, you drafted the receiver nine, you got Keenan Allen, you got DJ Moore. Your running backs are the reason you're in the game. Yes, I mean if it wasn't for Swifts whatever, huge run, oh huge, we wouldn't even have been close. It was like that gave them life because they had none none, They had none to give him that play, even they ended up taking the lead with twenty seconds left. That's I think that has to go down as the most egregious play call of the season. Second would probably be that. Remember that fake play the Bills ran, I think against the Ravens when they were storming that, But that was way worse to get backup offensive lineman. I mean, it's not even you can't even blame him. Belichick would say, it's not on the player, it's on the coach. Yeah, you can't call. You can't put that guy in that position, right, It'd be like me, hey, John, make this video edit?
Speaker 4: Do I what do I do?
Speaker 1: That was crazy calling. It really was. They got lucky the bounce or something didn't land where the guy did take it to the house. That could have been historic disaster on a given play.
Speaker 2: And here's the other thing, you know, I beat up on defensive coaches. The Bears were off a bye the first half. No clever nothing. They weren't quick to the line, they weren't quick out of the huddle. It was just it was just plotting. There wasn't any energy. And I understand off of bye. You know, you when we watch a McVeigh off a bye or some of these really well coached teams, I mean, and or even Shanahan, you're like Shanahan otens with the Jets. You're like, this is a mismatch. You can see the plays off a bye. It like was a Syriani. It's like you got nothing, you have no you have no design plays. And it's one of those things where in the first half, Jaden Daniels was the best player on the field. I will say Caleb won't show up in the box score, but his ability because I mean Washington's pass rush John, especially in the early portions. I think what happened sometimes Washington's defensive line control the first half. These are three hundred pound guys. I thought they wore down in the fourth and it gave Caleb another second to a maneuver around. They just they're big. They mean these guys like pain. You can't get sixty snaps out of these guys at the same energy level. And I thought Caleb bought time. I thought he made a couple of really really high end throws in the fourth quarter. But John that drive that gave them the lead on third down, This is not a field goal situation you're going to score. They run another quarterback draw and I thought, just after running a previous one, I thought, well, what are we doing here now?
Speaker 1: First down, they ran a fade into the corner of the end zone, Like, what are you doing to slam the ball in? You run the ball right down the throat.
Speaker 2: So I just hated the Bears play calling and and not not just because I had Washington as aside, but there are moments in the season where I feel bad for teams where like they outplay, they out scheme, they out and they just they end up on the wrong side of a game. I always kind of root for the team that looks like they put the effort in, they had a plan. I don't like luck wins, but they happen in football, and shit happens. I mean, guys get hurt, you get bad breaks.
Speaker 1: But I will it happens in all sports. Could have happened last night in the Yankee game, if they would have came back in the ninth inning. It's like they deserved to win that game. It's just that's what we watched.
Speaker 2: But let's let's let's just say this right now. In terms of entire staff, Washington's gonna have. I think it has a top five to six staff in the league if you're counting both coordinators.
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 2: This pass defense was egregiously bad in the first month. Even that's gotten better. It was the worst pass defense for three weeks, so they're coaching.
Speaker 1: The hell out of that thing. Well, the ross the two rosters a lot of money on their offensive line in Washington and it's actually pretty solid. But the rest of the roster relative to the Bears, right, I mean, the Bears got better wide receivers, they definitely got a way better defense. I mean they got a fantastic secondary. I mean, how good does Montes sweat look? I mean, Jesus, you know, Miles Garrett or something. A couple things. I think you give Caleb credit for competitive character because that was a game where he could have just folded like a cheap tent, and he you know, you could tell he was pretty down on the sideline. And then those last couple drives, the second to last one, he made a couple miraculous plays little out Allen iverson juke move of a defensive lineman to keep a play alive, throwing across his body. It looked like like USC last year versus Arizona. Remember when he was just making some of these players, You're like, holy shit, he did that tonight.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Another thing, I think if Chicago could have a do over I'm a huge Roma Dunes fan. He says, going to be an excellent player, he would play for any team in the league. They had an opportunity with a top ten pick, and their offensive line is not good. Yeah, and there were several offensive linemen on the board. It's you know, I get it. Receivers are sexy. You can find wide receivers all over the league. You can trade for him in the middle of the season to not draft the Penn State guy, the Oregon State guy who can play five different positions. Yeah, so everyone, and I would imagine, you know, the way the game ending that ended, that's going to be the headline. But if it had just been a Washington just dominant victory, it would have been shitting on Caleb and he did not play well. That offensive line was getting worked work, And this was my concern, Like, I don't give you. You get credit because you've been an underachieving team. So you take care of teams like Carolina. That's the first step of like becoming good. You got to beat the bad teams. But it doesn't translate when you play better teams. It's why, like you watched that first half, you're like this team, they're gonna let a lot of people down in that city because they're not gonna be able to play with good teams. And it starts with their five offensive linemen. Washington is not Joe Gibbs, I would imagine had a pretty good defense line. That's not what they're rolling out. I mean, this defensive line. I'm happening to google some of these guys. It's really more dan Quinn raw Rock coaching these guys up, and they are getting beat like a drum on like every other play. So yeah, Caleb, obviously you're you're kind of freaking out back there. You don't have any time and balls start flying all over the map. But how many times did he step back two seconds later and there's like three guys coming at him.
Speaker 4: It's crazy. Well, it's funny.
Speaker 2: I was talking to somebody this weekend Hardball was either going to take Joe Alt or Thomas, the wide receiver in Jacksonville, Mike Thomas the fifth pick. He apparently this is what I was told. I mean, he loved Mike Thomas, and he's like, we got to protect our asset. We got to get Joe Alt and that you know, people had Mike Thomas at like fifteenth, twentieth.
Speaker 1: Apparently he's good. He had to touchdown today, he plays every week.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he's just And Harball was like, I think Harball recruited him, you know, at Michigan could get it and so and so unlike the Bears. And the Chargers needed to receive much more than the Bears did, and they went with Joe Alt because the take was, I gotta protect I gotta protect Justin Herbert.
Speaker 4: So I like it.
Speaker 1: Remember Harbass said that we view offensive lineman his weapons the tip of the spear.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and today it was a classic ugly Chargers win where yeah, it was just you know, boy, we'll talk about it later. But Jesus Herbert's talented, fricking talented, not working with much talented. All right, next game, New England beats the Jets twenty five, twenty two, so you know it's we could just beat up on Aaron. But I mean the field goal. They can't hit a field goal, they can't hit a pat But here's here's my bigger takeaway. You haven't won since Robert Sola left. And when they fired him, I said, you just let your best coach leave the room. You just let him leave and the defense is not as good, John, They're not as good. I mean, actually, I mean look at that final drive by Brissett.
Speaker 4: He had time to.
Speaker 2: Throw and so in Aaron is a pocket quarterback who had seventeen completions and no longer moves. Well, I mean they have weapons. They've got Lazard, they've got Garrett Wilson, they've got Devonte Adams who had you know, five catches fifty yards whatever, four catches fifty yards. But you can't say they don't have Breeze Hall. You can't say they don't have weapons. But it's actually it's the truth is they're not as good defensively. Now, this is this is classic Jets. They are now a mediocre defense with a forty year old quarterback who's a total pocket quarterback. And Ian O'Connor had a tweet during this game. He said, the Jets talk about energy. They're slow out of the huddle, they're slow to the line. He said, they're just applodding, slow, energy less offense. Well, that's on Rogers, that's on Aaron and so I can I can blame it. But the Jets had eight penalties, knowing didn't have as many penalties in New England's the younger team. I think it's just a systems failure. It's just a mass of an organization.
Speaker 1: I think they got so many things going on. One. When they fired Sala and they make Olbrick become the head coach, you're basically losing out twice. Right, Your defense is gonna get worse because he has to focus on other things, and the things he has to focus on, he has no clue what he's doing because he's never done it. He'd be like, hey, John, we need to keep rolling with the podcast and now also be the head of sales. We would probably lose out on both. The podcasts would get worse and sales might go down. Why because it makes no sense to put me in that position, So you put Olbrich Colin. I don't think I've ever seen this in my entire life, high school, college or the pros. Going into the second quarter of the football game, the Jets had zero timeouts. They used all of their timeouts in the first quarter, and it was offensively. I mean, I don't know how many delay of games they had. They literally had a delay of game when they scored the final touchdown to take the lead in the game on the two point conversion. On the two point conversion, So Olbrik's gonna take a lot of shit. I can't blame him for the delay of games. He has nothing to do with Aaron Rodgers try offense nothing, I mean absolutely nothing. Now, in fairness to Aaron, they go down to get they score, not in a million years. And I'm rooting for this Jets collapse because it's pretty fun. I never thought Jacoby perssecond lead him down the field and score a touchdown, even how bad the Jets defense has played the last couple of weeks since Robert Sli has left. That was that was jarring to watch that. And now I think we have to acknowledge their defense, which has been held to highest team, is just it's not only ever, it's just not good at all.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: And this notion that like you can just have a team full of mercenaries, We've learned over the last five six years it doesn't even work in the NBA, which is much more individual meets team. It one hundred percent over the history of football, you can sign a big name guy who shows up in OTA's income, they're just The Reddick thing is a classic example of Drew Rosenhouse when they signed him, was quoted of saying, yeah, I just went right to the owner, like, how is that normal? You know, in a situation, so your GM is useless this guy, you basically give him all. And then I even saw to day He's like, yeah, it's pretty rusty. Of course he's rusty. I mean he showed up three days ago. I mean, this team is really an embarrassment to football, and it's something that Listen. I'm not trying to give myself credit or anyone that bet against him, but I didn't think it would be this bad obviously today is I mean, this is one of the lowest points for any high priced team of my lifetime. I mean, to be two and six Colin, well, right, you've played what you've played eight games, so you got nine games left. To get to nine games, you'd have to go seven and two down the stretch. This seems like they can't be the Patriots. They're not going seven and two. They'd be lucky to go like five and four.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and and and you know, as I watched that game, whereas I mean we both said this, I thought the Bears were a poorly coached s show. Today it's the Bears have talent. New England doesn't have much.
Speaker 4: I mean the Jets.
Speaker 2: The Jets have of the twenty two starters would probably have seventeen sixteen to seventeen starters of these two teams.
Speaker 1: Patriots were missing a bunch of guys today too. On the they were sure.
Speaker 4: So, I mean, it is hold on. I'm getting texts here. It's just as we do the podcast.
Speaker 2: I'm getting a text from a general manager in the league that says he cannot believe.
Speaker 4: What he saw with the Bears.
Speaker 1: It was great.
Speaker 2: He goes, oh, it's great. I wish I could share this with the audience. I'm getting a text in real time here on. I mean, everybody's going to talk about this. It was the worst code. Okay, let's let's stay on task here. So yeah, I think the question becomes does Aaron come back? Does Aaron say to himself, this isn't going to work. Aaron tends to get into his manifesting vision board, you know, the darns saying when he used that, you know, that optimistic kind of metaphor this week or word. I think he would come back. But if you're the Jets, you have to draft a quarterback. You have to draft the quarterback because the roster doesn't have a ton of eats. You have to go get a quarterback. And it's a bad quarterback class.
Speaker 1: You know. One thing with these YouTube TV four boxes, sometimes you have a game right above each other. And I had the Packer game right below the or above the Jets game. And Jordan loves who got hurt again. I mean, the guy's been pretty banged up this season. But what a job by Lafloor. But his mannerisms are just like a young prime Rogers. The way he moves, the way he just flings it and lets his arm go, and you're watching him just throw some of these balls, and he can be a little ratic with is such confidence to those guys, And then you look down and one thing I wrote down is Rogers used to throw with such confidence in the prime of his career, and then even those couple of years when he really got a roll to the floor. And you watch him now, like we have to acknowledge he no longer can move. He's getting peppered. Okay, he's forty years old coming off of Achilles, understandable. I feel like he just throws these lollipops like sometimes you see with Caleb, like he doesn't really know where it's going. Rogers never really played like that. It was either thrown it away or thrown a dart to a guy and hitting him in the hand. And now these balls go up into traffic like, well, I can't move to save this. I gotta get rid of it. Fuck it. Well, I mean what it's the Jets, I mean what, Yeah, it feels like he's as loosey goosey because you've been on him as much as by far anybody that talks about, you know, football, that he really is sneaky, like kind of hides from risk taking. It's not really his thing. And now it's like he just kind of lets it go all over the place. So they have gone all in on this player who is you know, I mean, if Pete Rogers was a ninety eight out of one hundred, the guy they're getting now is like seventy or something on good series. And he can look sometimes like a fifty and sometimes the ball just flies up. You're like, that could be a disaster. And that was never his thing, ever, his thing. So they got this player who is no longer good enough, like he's not a top ten quarterback in the end.
Speaker 4: No, God, no, no.
Speaker 1: But I'm saying, like when last year and even coming back into this year, it's like, hey, if we get a guy between like eight to twelve and be really good, like he's floating like he's I mean, look it is at all these really talent. I'm watching Josh Allenday like he's in a different y versus Aaron.
Speaker 2: Baker, Mayfield and Sam Darnold this moment.
Speaker 1: Are better than wagers for sure, much better, better player. I mean, all these guys are better players.
Speaker 2: Now for a segment called making It Look Easy, brought to you by Morgan and Morgan, America's largest injury law firm. Jared Goff made it look easy twelve to fifteen, three touchdowns blowout win over the hapless Titans. Lions have scored more touchdowns than Goff incompletions over the last five games. Just like Jared makes it look easy, Morgan and Morgan does the same. It's so easy to submit a claim. They have over one hundred offices nationwide, more than eight hundred lawyers, and through the years, fifteen billion dollars recovered for their clients who get full and fair compensation because they're fighting for you. Morgan and Morgan fighting for the people for over thirty five years. If you're ever injured, go to forthpeople dot com, slash Colin, or dial pound five to two nine to check out America's largest injury law firm. Winning in the NFL is hard, Hiring Morgan and Morgan is easy. Okay, I got to talk about this. Texans beat the Colts twenty three to twenty. It's not an overly sexy game. I have so many notes on this game. So Chris Ballard is built. It's a good roster. Just offensive players. Jonathan Taylor, Stud Pittman, Josh Downs, workable tight ends with Shane Steinken. He cannot get close to completing fifty percent of his throws. His judgment's horrific. He is totally big play reliant.
Speaker 4: I'm watching that game today. He left. I think it was the third quarter. I wrote it down.
Speaker 2: He left the game, he said afterwards, I was just tired, Like I'm sitting there watching this and they have players. This team had opportunities to beat the Texans. They have dudes. I know it's I mean, CJ. Stroud's going twenty five to thirty seven, three hundred yards dominates time of possession. The Colts can't sustain drives with Anthony Richardson. They were horrific on third John there are to I knew he was young coming in, but the bottom line.
Speaker 4: Is he is so far behind that.
Speaker 2: If you stay with it, maybe two to three years for Anthony Richardson to be able to go to the line, audible to third play scan the field.
Speaker 4: I watched him.
Speaker 2: He's a great athlete, jump he can You cannot win in this league. That's a bad division. You can't win in this league. They have players in indianappol like today. I watched the game, and with young quarterbacks, I always feel like, let's give him Thanksgiving of the second.
Speaker 4: Year unless he makes. Unless he makes.
Speaker 2: I mean, you watch Jaden Daniels and Caleb Williams, they're self awareness in these bone next today is chopping it up. This kid is not even in the stratosphere of those guys in self awareness pocket awareness. It was jawdropping how bad he was today.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he was two or thirteen in the first half and the only, I mean one of the passes was a blown coverage for a touchdown where the guy was wide open, and even when the ball left his hand, you're fifty to fifty in the air if it's gonna hit the guy. He's an horrendous football player, and let's face it, when he came back from injury, they chose, we have to see if this guy's gonna be good enough to let's development over making the playoffs. Joe Flacco plays out this season like they're gonna win nine ten games and be in the playoffs. They could barely beat Miami last week with Huntley and Tim Boyle, I mean barely won that game. And it's because of the quarterback Jonathan Taylor. Every time I looked up today, he looked like Walter Payton out there jukend guys breaking tackles.
Speaker 4: Nobody even here.
Speaker 1: First CJ Cowd NonStop.
Speaker 4: You can't bring down Jonathan Taylor on the first hit, can't.
Speaker 1: They were peppering CJ. Stroud today. So their defense, which you know, most people don't think is the most talented, and people are very critical. August Bradley was I think I read today hit him on like twenty nine or thirty something drop. I mean they were hitting him constantly, and they're right in the game and this guy just can't. You cannot function as an NFL quarterback. Like to be a great quarterback, you have to be able to do it all. But just to play quarterback, you have to be able to hit a wheel route, you have to be able to hit a quick out route, you have to be able to run the plays when they are working, and he cannot. And you get to a point where you know, for up until Josh Allen, most people thought it was impossible to improve accuracy. That's why most people wouldn't touch you if you were an inaccurate quarterback. Like really, one of the only examples in like NFL history is like Warren Moon, who got dramatically more accurate as he got, but he was an complete outlier. And then Josh Allen, like, I'm pro just in generle in life, take a big swing, totally understood Anthony Richardson. But there's a huge risk reward in that. Like this isn't like invested in the apple, Like this is invested in something that could go belly up or five hundred x. And right now you are staring bankruptcy in the face because you can't play. Obviously, the Texans are a playoff team. But you're you're playing shitty teams like Miami and getting by by the skin of your teeth because this guy can't complete basic routes. Everyone likes the high character guy works hard at the highest level of pro sports. It's like, well, there gets to a point where all that stuff, Okay, we're rooting for, but are you good enough? And he's not even remotely close to like average on basic things. Yea, the most inaccurate quarterback in the NFL.
Speaker 2: Oh, listen, it is t Bow just didn't have the arm strength or the mechanics. This kid's got arm strength plus. And you know the other thing that you have to think about. Remember when the Niners moved off.
Speaker 1: Tree, what do you do, Colin? I mean they drafted them fourth overall. Yeah, betjum and just go to Flacco and try to win games. I want to make the playoffs. That's what you have to do.
Speaker 2: Yes, I would, and they can go in a six game winning streak with Flacco. There's no question they have players.
Speaker 1: They would have won to day probably.
Speaker 2: But it's when when Kyle Shanahan moved off Trey Lance, You're like, wow, Kyle made Matt shab a pro bowler.
Speaker 4: So if Kyle gives up on you, you.
Speaker 2: Don't give up a fourth round pick for Trey Lance unless you're the Cowboys. When Shane Steichen and these weapons, I mean two of thirteen, these are the scripted plays with one of the smartest coaches in the league in Shane Steichen, who we saw him with a rookie Justin Herbert. We saw him make Jalen Hurtz, who has regressed into an m VP level player. So I think you just have to say, listen, we're just gonna go. We're just gonna roll with Flacco and go. Because I wouldn't be shocked if Flacco won five out of six games, I wouldn't be shocked. I like the Colts weapons, downs, Pittman, Taylor. I like their players.
Speaker 1: Well up until probably five or six years ago, a guy like Anthony Richardson, based on his small, small collegiate history and inaccuracies, would not have sniffed the first round. I mean, we entered this quarterback inflation post mahomes in Josh Allen, where everyone thinks like those guys are both like once in a generation players. Yeah, if I'm never been a big believer in you know, and I think we saw like the Kenny Picketts and Mac Jones versions are the worst case, Like they don't even have the physical skills and they're clearly not good enough the physical skills. I mean, he says, I was exhausted. Well, no shit, they have to run you because they can't pass because when they passed, they got a punt. And I think we all acknowledge, like this guy's a really good coach and he's proven it now with countless different type quarterbacks. Like this is not a coaching thing, this is a basic Like some guys in basketball just can't shoot. They get with every coach under the sun, and that's ever gonna be able to shoot. Yeah, he could the best shooting coach in the history of the league. Nothing would change. And I think that's the more you watch this kid play, You're like he would be inaccurate for the next ten years. But how much longer is he going to get to play? Because you could pull the trigger right now and go to Flacco Monday morning and just say, hey, we're gonna we're gonna give you a breather, buddy.
Speaker 2: I mean, listen, Cam New, we struggle struggled with mechanics in accuracy, but Cam would have Cam would have a twenty three of thirty three game. I mean Cam's when Cam cleaned his mechanics up and threw off his back foot because he could get a little sloppy Cam. Cam had beautiful, a beautiful looking posture mechanics.
Speaker 4: He got loose.
Speaker 2: Hell Stafford can get loose, Mahomes gets loose. But it was always within Cam to be a.
Speaker 4: Beautiful thrower the football.
Speaker 2: Like with Anthony, it's just again the layups he misses badly.
Speaker 1: Yeah to me, Cam, when you look at that Auburn season, even though it was only one year, like kind of knows how to win. Yeah, Like he just knew how to get shit done. And then over a course of a couple of years, once the team in Carolina got better, they were just obviously they were up and down because he was a roller coaster ride. But when he was on it was clear like this is a top five quarterback. Then he could turn into like the thirteenth best. He was all over the map, but his high end, like you don't even really see that with the Anthony Rigson. Beside one give and throw, the other thing is Cam was a way more dominant runner I mean, Cam's the most physical runner in the history of the NFL. Yeah, I mean he was just bigger and stronger and played more powerful and he didn't break down early. I mean, this guy, every time he goes down, You're like, is he gonna get back up? Like right now, Bryce Young is obviously has a chance to be a historic bust. He's probably not going to be on the Panthers next year. I don't know if this guy is that far away. He's just bigger, stronger, faster, right, I mean they're they're kind of similar, Like, what the hell's the difference of the two. Well, one guy plays actually in a better organization, one that when other functional quarterbacks come into play Minshew and Flacco, they win. Yeah, so you could argue that there's really he's just bigger. He's a bigger, stronger, throws harder version of Bryce Young.
Speaker 2: I thought Philadelphia Eagles thirty seven, Bengals seventeen. I was on the wrong side of this one. Bengals had no run game, and first of all, I thought this was about as important a Philadelphia win the way they won no turnovers. Saquon ran fifty percent on third down seven yards of play, nearly hurts again ten rushes, sixteen to twenty touchdown, no mistakes. This was a game very easily against Burrow. Burrow's a very good first quarter quarterback. Eagles are not a good first quarter offense. This is a game he could have gotten behind and it could have unraveled. But as I watched this game, I had two big takeaways. Philadelphia, it feels like, to me, John, you're a former scout for the team and you have good context there. It feels like they're asking Jalen to do less in the passing game. They've just come to terms with We're not throwing at thirty eight times. That's not what we're gonna be. We're not gonna do that, and that's fine.
Speaker 4: I think. I think the.
Speaker 2: Houston Texans sometimes without Nico Collins, kind of feel like we're gonna, we're gonna, we're gonna box in what we can do offensively.
Speaker 4: Let's not put our young quarterback at risk. That was my first take. My second take is.
Speaker 2: We've always both of us have felt like Herbert doesn't have the support he deserves. But Herbert, now they've paid for Khalil Mack. I mean, they they've paid for Jim Harbaugh. They've paid Herbert, They're gonna pay Rashawn Slater. They paid Keenan, they paid my Mike Williams. The Chargers have spent money for Justin Herbert. He's had some bad breaks. But we can't call the Chargers cheap anymore. Sinnati team they let go of mixing, which, by the way, even even very good quarterbacks need run games, right like even the good ones need run games. They've already moved off defensive players a year before they're gonna pay pay Jamar Chase.
Speaker 1: And I just on the team next year. Yep.
Speaker 2: And I watched Cincinnati and I thought, you know, we can say what we want about the Chargers, but they have damn good players. They moved off Keenan and Mike Williams because they were older receivers that couldn't stay healthy consistently. They kept Mosa, they kept Khalil Matt Those are expensive players. They paid Herbert, They're gonna pay Slater, they paid Hardbaugh. I feel bad for Joe Burrow. I think the Bengals are what the Charger's reputation was like.
Speaker 4: They won't spend the money.
Speaker 2: Joe Burrow has. You take Burrow and Chase and that pass rusher off his team, John. They don't have a lot of players in Cincinnati. They don't have a lot of dudes.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean I would say this if they fired their coach tomorrow or at the end of the season. He's not getting rehired. So they have a coach that no one else would want if we just play that game with most good teams, right, the Eagles have such a good roster because you would say they fire Sirianni, no one's hiring them.
Speaker 4: That's true.
Speaker 1: But like I do think their coach. Once you have less talent, you have to lean on them a little more. Like why are the Chargers gonna end up winning ten or eleven games? Star quarterback, star coach. Yeah, it's not because they have a roster like they have. I would say for a lot of the last twenty years. Joe did miss the throw a little bit short today that led to the interception and this snowball right then they got a touchdown, then they fumbled the kick off and it just snowballs and the Eagles ate them alive. To me, there was a talent gap today overall on the team. Oh god, yeah, pretty clear. I do think the Eagles, and this gets ties into the Giants, who will see Monday Night, Saquan's elevated their team. He's clearly one of the best players in the league. Jalen throws as pretty I would say, wouldn't you say Jalen is like the twenty sixteen version of Russell Wilson in terms of that deep ball in the air. You think it's going to be completed to one of those two guys.
Speaker 2: No, and we've come to realize there are limitations to Russell Wilson, and once he loses sort of the magical elusiveness, you get what you can get out of Russell. I think we elevated because of Steichen. We elevated Jalen hurts to a level that's unfair. He was a second round pick. He's not a great pocket thrower. I think he throws a pretty deep ball. I think the Russell Wilson cops very accurate. One's a second round pick, one's a third round pick. And I think I think Philadelphia, it's easy to fall in love with a player because he was so damn good with steiking. But since he's left and this is your reality, you know, today was the classic sixteen to twenty some runs. I think they just kept the game in front of Jalen Hurts.
Speaker 1: He's definitely running it a little bit more, and he is a fan. To me, he's a better runner because of his power than even Pek Russell, who was a really good runner as well. I mean, he's got to be one of the more powerful running quarterbacks we've ever seen. He turns into a running back. And then once you get to the goal line, I mean, we've never seen a playlight. I've been watching football for thirty plus years. I mean, they get to the one or two yard line, it's like an automatic touchdown. There's nothing you can do. When have we ever seen that? Even if you stop it once, they go right back to it and then they score. Yeah. I mean they've had some injuries on the offensive line, so he was running around a little bit. But do I totally trust their defense, not but their talent. I mean, you get aj Brown, DeVante Saquan him, you'll end up getting god her back. Like how many Lions and the fully healthy forty nine ers. I mean there's a short list. I watched the Chiefs, like, do they have one guy that would start on that team beside like of their skill guys, you know, even Travis Kelsey when he's now thirty five. If god HER's healthy, so you're just it is a special and Saquon clearly has this chip of proving himself and he's healthy. I mean he today he ran a guy over you get him in the open field. They've had good you know, the DeAndre Swift used to be their running back. They've had Miles Sanders in the past, They've never had anything like this. This feels a little bit like remember when Jalen was at Oklahoma with Lincoln Riley. It's like, this feels like a collegiate offense. And the one thing that I think slows him down sometimes the coaching staff can kind of get a little tricky, and Jalen, you know, sometimes wants to prove he can be a pocket guy and get himself in a little bit trouble. But I thought that second half, that's the best half of football the Eagles have played. It feels like in two years. No.
Speaker 2: I literally sat there and I want my takeaway was, if you took the best twenty two players in this game, Philly's got seventeen to eighteen of those twenty two players like the talent gap. But again, Philadelphia spends money. Jeffrey Lurie, he'll spend money on anything, weight room, everything. I mean, Cincinnati doesn't have an outdoor practice facility. Still, they're the only Northern team that doesn't.
Speaker 1: You know what I wonder is like, let's say the bit. You know, the Bengals end up six or seven wins, right, obviously they're in a tough spot. Now they fired the coach, Like what peers he fishing off to go get his head coach? Historically it's Taylor's There weren't a lot of people lined up for him, and he's cheap, like he's not talking to the very bulls, to the Belichicks, to you know, the big name guys. That's just not where they're gonna go. So when you sign up, this goes back to Carson Palmer, like this organization, Like a lot of the complaints haven't just been entitled athletes bitching and moaning. This is this is, this shouldn't be this way, And you have to wonder, like what hell it took Dean Spanos, who's down in LA around the Dodgers and Lakers a long time to go Okay, I need a fifteen million dollar coach yep. And he wants to bring his three four million dollar defensive coordinator. We'll do that too. It's gonna be the best thing he's ever done, because I mean, eventually, if they I trust, they'll build the thing up, they'll they they'll be in a super Bowl in three years. Yep. And they would not have been hiring these four or five million dollar coaches. And I listen, you can't tell me would Joe. I thought for most of the game like I was like, God, Joe looks good, and people wouldn't be lined up. But they're also not taking the job for six million dollars. That's right, you're telling me Belichick wouldn't be interested in coaching Joe Burrow. I don't think he would be. I jut if the organization paid and they would listen to him. But they're not gonna change.
Speaker 2: I mean, they kept Marvin Lewis forever. I don't think they'll fire Zach Taylor because the Brown family won't pay a dead cap coach money.
Speaker 4: They won't pay it.
Speaker 2: They just refuse to pay it. It's time for this week's player. I thought might give almost almost anything to redo his game. Brought to you by Uber Eats, Anthony Richardson disaster ten for thirty two in a loss to the Texans. A pick a fumble left the game.
Speaker 4: At one point.
Speaker 2: He said he was tired. Every game this season, Richardson has failed to complete fifty percent.
Speaker 4: Of his throws. That was this week's Uber eats Player.
Speaker 1: Of the Week.
Speaker 2: Get almost almost anything for Game Day delivered with Uber Eatz, the official on demand delivery partner of the NFL.
Speaker 4: Order now.
Speaker 2: And I want to PI to this game Denver twenty eight, Carolina fourteen. Denver's now five and three. So here's a prime example of coaching. One team has Joe Burrow, Jamar Chase, elite pass rusher. One team has bon Nicks, Courtland Sutton and no elite pass rushers. Now Patrick's certain, Patrick Sartan. I wrote this down today. He may be a top ten defensive player in the league. He is just absolutely phenomenal good. But this is what coaching does. With Sean Payton Boone Nicks today who in his last game, I text Sean, I said, man, his mechanics are off. Sean's like, hey, the kid's great. We're gonna get it. Cleaned up three touchdowns, no picks, two hundred eighty yards, nine different wide receivers, tight end targets, only one penalty. When I was watching the game, there may have been more, but when I wrote it down, only one penalty. They were tremendous on third down. No Carolina, I get it. Denver was picked to win five games by Vegas. They're at five and three halfway through the season. They are coaching the you know what out of this team, John, This is the defensive personnel. Remember, because of Russell Wilson, they didn't have any draft picks. They got the LS kid out of Utah. I think third round. They got Franklin, the wide receiver who dropped the ball right through his hands today, a deep ball. And I don't even think bo Nix would be this good, and he struggled in the first month, but I watched him today backfoot confidence this. If you think we're being hard on Zach Taylor, Denver is squeezing every ounce of juice. You tell me how they're generating this pass rush. You tell me how bo Nix is thrown for three hundred yards behind kind of an okay offensive line. I watched Denver and I think that is coaching.
Speaker 4: That is coaching. That's what I see.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, I totally agree. I mean I don't think Denver's roster is very good. I also think I think Vance Joseph last year when they scored what Miami scored seventy on him, Yeah, and Sean Payton stuck with him, and by the end of the season they were playing good defense. Their defense. Like you said, beside the corner, you have to google some of the guys the team. Yeah, this is not Neil Smith and Bill Romanowski that You're like, oh, these I don't even know who these guys are, and now we're gonna find out a lot more about him. On Thursday night playing that New Orleans team a week ago, I mean, that was kind of a joke squad. And I didn't eve think bo Nix was that good in that game. The Ravens and the Chiefs coming up. But hell, they don't have to win those games. If you get to nine to eight with this roster and a rookie quarterback, what a great building spot. Now, this is the thing with hiring good coaches, Like look at Lafloor. He's six and two at a starting quarterback in and out of the lineup, completely unfaced. You're gonna look up. I don't know how many games Jordan Love who knows how long he's out. They're gonna be an eleven twelve win team no matter what. The power of that position in this sport flies by everything else. Is it Aaron Boone's fault that Aaron Judge has no clue what's coming out of the pitcher's hand. There's nothing he can do right where in coaching you watch in college last night, Texas A and M has been one of the biggest jokes in college football the last couple of years, and you watch them now, you're like, Holy hell, this looks like Alabama or something. And it's because it's not even just about the play calling. It's about the messaging. It's about the structure, it's about the discipline. It's about basic things like you know, how you practice the first ten minutes of warm ups, what is okay and what is not okay? If you come out with the wrong stuff, do I make you go back in and change or do I let it slide? And I think you just see the separating you see. The Jets are a good example. They got no clue what they're doing. It's one of the worst coaching staffs in the league.
Speaker 4: It is the staff.
Speaker 1: And then you look. I think Denver and the Chargers are very, very good examples. They have no business. You could say the Chargers a little bit because they do have a good quarterback, you know, an experienced quarterback to win ten games with their roster. If I give half the coaches in the NFL, those teams, they don't sniff ten wins, right, But I give Jim Harbaugh and Sean Payton, and what do they make a combined thirty five million dollars? They make it for a reason because you're gonna feel pretty good about them winning double digit games every year going forward. And the other thing that we don't talk a lot about with coaches, who do you hire your staff? It's one of the Harboff families great attributes. I would say Sean Payton for the most part, has always had good coaching staffs. Yes, Dan Campbell was assistant. Dennis Holland's not a good head coach, but he's an excellent defensive coordinator, so he had a staff. And now, listen, I was skeptical of Vance Joseph. You gotta give him a lot of credit. Like their defense is flying around. So that's your job is more than just calling plays or the draft, like it encompasses a lot.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and they're the other thing. This is one of the things Sean mcvaye does so well. You are you're often asking yourself, how did Cooper Cup and Cooka Nakua get so open? Well that scheme. I mean, it's like in the Super Bowl and Andy Reid has sky More in the red zone wide open. You're like, there's only so much space. How is sky More not covered at the twelve? I'm watching Denver and there were multiple times today You're like, now again it's Carolina. But I'm seeing this time and time again when they beat the Jets, we thought it was a fluke. No, Denver is better with Bo Nicks. They're a better football team than the Jets with Aaron Rodgers, and the Jets have significantly better players overall.
Speaker 4: No, not even close.
Speaker 2: And so I'm just watching Denver today and I'm like, this is like and I've text Peyton a couple of times, like, this is what a well coached team looks like. They should have beaten Carolina badly. They did they should have beaten New Orleans badly. They did, but they're also winning this That Jets game you look at and you think, God, it was terrible weather. Bow Knicks had no There's no reason in the world Bo Nicks goes and plays cross country if I recall, their travel was bad and beats Aaron Rodgers in a like a semi tropical storm. Peyton won't get Coach of the Year, but he should be honorable mention because I think what he's doing with this roster is incredible.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I think you just see so many examples of guys that like as sometimes they might inherit some talent and then as time goes on. I think Mike McDaniel is a good example. Listen, he's got a lot of friends in the media. I think I don't know him personally, but I just think his teams have been one of the most overrated squads over the last couple of years. And now you watch him today lose to Arizona. They're soft, I mean, and they really have been down the stretch of the last last year when they should have cruised to that division championship right in the AFCs. Then you watch them this year I'm not blaming them for poor offense when TWA gets the concussion, but the whole team just falls apart. And then you get him back and they look dramatically better. Like Mike McDaniel like, yeah, you can scheme up some good plays, but can he be a good head coach, And to me, the answer is no, and they're gonna be terrible. And then you look around the league at some of these other guys, like like Demiko, he's got injuries, he's got all sorts of shit going, his quarterback's not playing well. And then you just look up there's like, yeah, they're gonna be like twelve five like you just some guys just really know what they're doing. And because like when times get tough, Tom Win's a good example of this, the standard in which you make guys practice every day has to be really fit. It's really easy now to just another walk through. You don't need to do pads today, Like that's just not allowed certain places. And then that translates to these games, because eighty percent of the games you play in the NFL are gonna be pretty tightly contested in the second half. This is not college football where you look up and it's thirty to ten in half the games. That's not the way the NFL works.
Speaker 4: And even the morning.
Speaker 1: You look at the slate this morning when I when I turn on the TV, he's at ten o'clock. I'm like, it's a shitty slate. Halfway through it's like, ah, that's pretty entertaining.
Speaker 4: Okay, great stuff.
Speaker 2: John Middlecoff, former NFL scout three and out. I'll tell you the Chicago Bears, there is gonna be stories written for the next two weeks on that coaching mess. Yes, you say they should have won. I say, I can't believe it was that. I've never been happier. I root for better coaching. Chicago's coaching was a disaster today. Go back and listen to the first ten to fifteen minutes of this podcast and check that out.
Speaker 4: John, we'll talk soon.
Speaker 1: You see the ratings on the old Yankees Dodgers. There's like fourteen million people watching these games.
Speaker 2: Sixteen and a half million watched Game two, the last two or three innings, sixteen and a half.
Speaker 4: Let's talk about that for a second. So for years.
Speaker 2: People have said to me, I would say, about twelve years ago, I just stopped baseball. I just said I'll talk about it in October. And a lot of that was I was getting more and more information from ESPN and Fox on minute to minute ratings and cable you can get minute to minute ratings, and what you were finding out is that. And I've just poured over these ratings every day for years and years. This is what you found out. The audience rewards you when you talk two things, urgency, the games have to matter and stars. Well, there's no urgency in baseball until October, like none, and the sport doesn't have a bunch of stars. And then Otani goes to the Dodgers, Aaron Judge, Yankees start, you know, get to the World Series and Mookie Betts and Bryce Harper. Now you got about four guys who you can just put on the screen and people go, oh, that's Mookie Betts, Oh that's show. Heyo, Tani, I'm watching that game. I don't remember a world I grew up with the Reds Red Sox in nineteen seventy six, Bench Rose, Morgan, Perez, Carlton Fisk, you know, like like like you go back. I can remember the names now. Yeah, but I'm looking at that game and I'm thinking Jesus, there's seven Hall of Famers here. Now Judge is having a terrible World Series. And I had said before the series, I think shoe Hey is the best player in the series. I think Mookie Betts is actually the second best player. Is versatility, shortstop, second base, outfielder, speed, average power. But it proves once again, the consumer is always right. The consumer was telling you for years, we're just not that interested in Alabama. Georgia college football dipped for about a six year eight year stretch. It got too regional. The audience said, we're fatigued with Alabama Clemson. Now college football ratings are going up. Alabama doesn't dominate. George's not quite as good. Here comes Texas, Here comes Ohio State, Here comes Oregon. The audience tells you what to do as a talk show host. And I watched the National League Playoffs the Dodgers Padres, and I'm like, there's like, there's like eight great players here, Dodgers.
Speaker 1: Metts, Phillies, Mett's Phillies great.
Speaker 2: And it's like, so sixteen and a half million people, that's that'll beat some NFL games. And it's like, yes, we'll talk baseball. You have to give US urgency. I've argued for years, I'd cut the I'd cut out April in.
Speaker 4: Half a May.
Speaker 2: I'd have one hundred and twenty games. I'd get rid of forty. I'd start the playoffs August eighth, and by Labor Day you'd be heading to the World Series, playing in the same weather you did for the entire series, instead of night game in October November. So I just think the series has been you can't take your eyes off it.
Speaker 1: No, it's it's riveting theater, I do think, And it really hit me last night watching Judge, who looks like you know me, and Little League or something. Right now, it's the only sport where the you know, the guy that has the best season, you could argue the best player in the American League this year, he's gonna win the MVP. Can you know even Russell Westbrook or Lamar Jackson, guys that have had bad playoffs, They have bad games, but they are not completely useless. When you can't hit like that, I mean he could barely make content. You're just useless. Remember a Rod had some moments when he was on the Yankees. When he got there, You're like, ah, they're gonna move him down in the lineup. You're just you're just worthless. And to me that's even more riveting. It's like, is this guy gonna get it? Can this guy even get back to the ball? And to me that I just think we've obviously haven't seen this matchup since when like nineteen eighty one, So it's part of it. You know, you said the Alabama Georgia thing, you felt if we got Dodgers Yankee seven years in a row, wouldn't quite feel as cool.
Speaker 2: That's right.
Speaker 1: We've been We've been feels like we've been waiting for this thing for a decade because both these two teams have been so good. I think Yankees are in trouble. I mean clearly. I mean they've lost some nozety there. Guys can't run. That's the thing with the Dodgers. I mean, Showyotani's six foot five, he runs like he's justin Jefferson. Yeah, Mookie Betts is an NFL athlete. Stam can't run, but he hits home runs. But if he's not hitting on runs and just didn't they got no shot?
Speaker 4: Well, I mean Tommy Edmond, who's that guy?
Speaker 1: He's incredible. Where do they find that guy.
Speaker 2: He was the National League MVP. In Game one he hit eighth. I mean people talk about the Big Red Machine was the greatest offense in seventy five, but by the time he got to, like the seventh in the batting order, it was Dave Concepcion. And says our Geronimo, I mean, you have the last three guys couldn't hit. When you have guys like I mean, like Will Smith and Tommy Edmund, he's like, these guys are on fire. They run, they can hit for power. That the Dodgers lineup. I mean, it was really interesting in Game one when Aaron Boone and I thought to him myself, this is gonna be a bullpen series, especially for the Dodgers.
Speaker 4: It's gonna be a bullpen series. So you know, keep.
Speaker 2: Yamamoto in or a Flaherty as long as you can because you're gonna You're gonna just test your bullpen. Dodgers, don't cross your fingers on Walker. Bueller gives you five innings. But the Yankees they have better starting pitching, you could argue. And when Aaron Boone pulled Garrett Cole after eighty eight pitches, I'm like, Aaron, you have like seven elite hitters in this lineup. If you have to go to a second and a third bullpen guy, you're in big trouble until you face the Dodgers lineup. It's I mean you and I. I watch it because it's in the summer. I just keep baseball games are on in the house. The Dodgers have had forty different pitchers and they're in the World Series. What does that tell you about their lineup? Forty different pitchers.
Speaker 1: I know that Bruce Bochi wouldn't need his third stint before he pulled out wear a cole in that moment, and he's the best postseason manager of the last twenty five years. That that's I get that. You know, the front office that's insane, that really is, And that to me is the deterioration of baseball. Like when I was a kid in the nineties, base ball is huge. Their star players weren't just Kann Griffey and Barry Bonds. They were the pitchers. Yes, you know, because those guys on any given moment could go one hundred and thirty pitches complete game and he had eighty eight. It's not like it's one thing. It's like, well, we didn't want to push him past one ten eighty eight pitches and he was mowing people down, mowing that That's that's insane. Even last night with Otani's buddy from Japan, what they pull him with like eighty five, Like what are we doing here? What's this is the World Series? This isn't this isn't August. But well, that's the sport.
Speaker 2: And I would argue, at least with the Yankees, Judge isn't hitting, and the in the middle, the back part of their lineup isn't as scary.
Speaker 1: No, they're in trouble.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Jazz Chisholm's not hitting. So but you you look down to the Dodgers and you get into I mean Max Munsey got on base twelve straight times. I said, you don't see that in Williamsport twelve straight times in the playoffs.
Speaker 1: I mean, I grew up in northern California. I hate the Dodgers and the Lakers, and right now Anthony Davis looks like wil Chamberlain and the Dodgers looking like they're about to sweep the Yankees. This is my worst nightmare.
Speaker 4: John Middlecoff, great stuff, Bud, see if.
Speaker 1: The volume.
Speaker 2: Thanks so much for listening. If you've enjoyed the podcast, take a moment, rate and review