Speaker 1: The Around the NFL podcast, The NFL Always waits.
Speaker 2: Welcome to another edition of Around the NFL. Yes, the NFL always does. Win May fifteenth schedule release, blowing up the sports where old Dan Hans is here with heroes Greg Rosenthal and yes, Mark Sessler, And that is what we are all about on tonight's episode. We're taping this Wednesday evening here on the West Coast, Mark Sessler, the schedules out. We're gonna go through all the interesting nugs that we can dig up on short notice. And I know I can see the goosebumps through my monitor right now looking at you, Bud.
Speaker 3: I mean, you know, I was thinking though that back when I was in like seventh and eighth grade, that there was a very special day each I think it was back in April back then where USA Today would print and it was breaking news as a newspaper back then, like the entire NFL schedule, and like my brother and I would have a wrestling match over like who got to look at it first? So it is historically has meant a lot to me. I think now I'm surprised that it's not taking place over four or five or six days. As a week long event, because I think that's probably where we're heading with it at this point.
Speaker 1: For some reason, like when Mark started telling that story, I expected it to be like and then the Milkmen came over and totally from.
Speaker 4: The time of their radio he's older. Yeah, it's funny.
Speaker 2: I huge fan of the NFL, you know, since I was probably about ten or eleven years old, but I don't remember the NFL. Obviously they didn't handle it at all the way they do now is in terms of a blowout event the way it is now, But even then, I feel like when the NFL schedule dropped, you would find it I don't know, and like the backpage or deep in the sports section when it was released, and there would obviously be your local football team or teams. The Beat reporter would hammer out eight hundred words on it maybe. But now as everything is tied to the NFL, it is it is a huge to do and while we and this is a good time when you think about our great late friend Chris Westling, we like to keep it in perspective and not be one of those shows or people that cover the game that put too much into these schedules and look at them and actually try to figure out, Oh.
Speaker 4: This team's gonna be good, this team's gonna be bad, and.
Speaker 2: You're gonna see a lot of that over the next few days and weeks and months.
Speaker 4: But also it's fun.
Speaker 2: It's still fun to look at what's going on and I think, GREGGI what And I'm gonna give you the last word before we jump into it, before we look at week one. That's a good thing to remember too, Like it's all fun and maybe it's a little bit over the top and overdone a little bit on some level, but at the end of the day, it takes us one step closer to a new season, and that's exciting.
Speaker 1: Yes, it was my role, I feel like back in those shows with Wes to just subtly needle and be like, hey, let's lighten up there, Larry and have a little fun with football. They'd be like, you already know the schedules, you know who's home and away. You just started like saying win the games.
Speaker 2: There.
Speaker 1: It's like, yeah, okay, but but then you see see the week one schedule and it does get my blood flowing and yeah, like Walker could not have been more excited. So now I feel like I'm reliving what it was like to be a fan. Not that we had this, but he immediately starts looking at the schedule and doing the win loss thing for various teams, which is like, that was the number one columnist slash beat writer move back in the eighties and nine.
Speaker 3: Well, they've got an NFL segment that copies that exact same friend, and maybe he can step right in and fill that role if they won't.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the Falcons a corner. By the way, I think that's Rank's corner. You better watch out. Rank could be somebody that will He'll go after you if you come toward his corner.
Speaker 4: Watch out.
Speaker 1: He gave the Falcons at thirteen and four to start Walker, and I'm like, okay, you gotta you can't just make every team twelve and five. It doesn't work that way. You gotta wait the Falcon balance and I know, I mean, you got to balance it out. It doesn't make sense.
Speaker 4: Why the Falcons.
Speaker 1: Why did he he started in alphabetical order. He's gonna do every team.
Speaker 4: Listen.
Speaker 2: Now, far be it from me to ever doubt what Terry Fonteneau could do. You know, the brain trust over there. Fourteen seems like a better number. Let's start with week one, Yes, and we're gonna go through. We'll go through yes week one because that's the next week of football games, and we'll check out the primetime slate, we'll check out the international games. For the listeners out there that love that and maybe or maybe not you saw. I was on social media talking with Handsome Hank Henry Hodgson, and he gave me one of those things, which I love it. He's like, hey, do a promo read where it's you're giving away the tickets. It's like, I have two tickets to Jets Vikings October sixth, and you give them to the audience.
Speaker 4: I was like, I love that.
Speaker 2: That felt like a career checkpoint, like a check mark, like like I've always wanted to do something like that, So win Dan's tickets.
Speaker 4: Like that's nice.
Speaker 3: I like me, I'm giving two o'clock here in La when I, you know, logged on my phone for about the six hundredth time today and noticed that that had dropped, and I thought, I know Dan is enjoying this moment because it is it's kind of like a you're a contest announcer at that point, that's you are.
Speaker 1: Terry Bradshaw.
Speaker 4: Shut up?
Speaker 2: All right, Yes, the Holiday games, what's on NFL Network, all that Stuff're gonna get to. But let's start start with week one. And how about this Greg as a way to get into it. Because you are I say this begrudgingly, but it is what it is. You are the defending locks champion. So when we do get to that first Thursday show ahead of week one, the Thursday Show will do on September fifth, you'll have the first pick.
Speaker 1: Two time defending locks champion, four out of five. I don't forget enough enough.
Speaker 4: You took it. It's late at night. We don't need to hear that right now.
Speaker 2: You will have the first pick. As a result, what would be the game? And if you don't know, if you're new to the show or just a little hazy on how we do it, we don't draft island games. But what would you take in a non island game draft Week one?
Speaker 4: Pick one?
Speaker 1: Oh, that's a spicy question, because I'm going to take one that I don't think you guys would want, but I want it. It's Texans Colts. Actually I want Anthony Richards and c J. Stroud like I think, Please please lock yourself into that pick. Okay, first of all, and second I love it. First of all, the best games in Week one are the primetime games. We know that the kickoff game is great. Ravens, Chiefs, Packers, Eagles is in Brazil on Friday night. That's incredible. The Sunday night game is delicious, that's rams, Lions. Your Jets are back in primetime on Monday night again in Week one, and to be those are like the four best games of the week. Actually, so the draft is a little different. And yes, I'm all about quarterbacks. And the one hundred like twenty minutes of complete games that Anthony Richardson played last year, to me were just so electric and I love me some CG Stroud like that that or like Caleb Williams would be where I would probably go because I just want to see you right away.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's a great one. I would have the second pick, and h hell, let's do it. Hmm tough.
Speaker 1: Can I tell you what the other one I was debating?
Speaker 4: Yeah, what's the other one?
Speaker 1: You were thinking Falcons Steelers just because it's either Russell Wilson or Justin Fields with the Steelers and it's Kirk Cousins with the Falcons.
Speaker 3: To me, that's why this is a classic Reg move to pick multiple games when he's already picked a game.
Speaker 2: Sorry, you know what's funny because I would do just to either I would leverage it for a trade or I would take it just to get the season off and on a horrible foot Cowboys at Browns and Mark, you texted me about what the news that came out.
Speaker 4: So I think that's a really good game. I think it's an interesting game.
Speaker 2: It's the late Fox game, and who is on the call, Mark Sessler, for that particular game.
Speaker 3: That's why I think it's just incredibly spicy and we're all going to be watching it. But it is the debut of Tom Brady, and you know, I think that's something that you know, Greg and I the booth as the number one guy, the number one guy for Fox. Greg and I had been on a beat wondering if this would ever occur. It's clearly happening at this point, and Greg Olsen has been bumped to the second booth, which I think is I did a segment about that earlier in the offseason.
Speaker 4: Feels unrighteous to me.
Speaker 3: They're loaded Foxes loaded, But of course you're gonna want to watch that game and just see how does Brady handle a the Cowboys and the Browns. But like I texted Greg's saying, like I am legitimately surprised with all the teams you could have found to play the Cowboys in Week one and have Tom Brady announcing. I know the Browns were a playoff team, but that to me felt like an upset that the Cleveland got that spot at home for Tom Brady's first game against the Dallas Cowboys. Kind of a strange pick, but that was where That's where I would have gone with with the number two the Cowboys.
Speaker 2: Listen and we all know the Cowboys having him been to the guy super Bowl in over a quarter century, but that they always do the biggest number, and Fox is like, put Tom on that game and and cross their fingers and see what happens.
Speaker 3: I mean, I mean Cleveland, though it could have been, you know, the Eagles versus Dallas or something, but they're going Cleveland Versusallas. The Cleveland side kind of threw me, But why.
Speaker 4: Not, I'm changing.
Speaker 1: I'm going to take it just to annoy Mark and I do want the Tom Brady factor.
Speaker 4: So that's a big one too.
Speaker 2: Late, too late in fact, that I kind of picked it, I think, or maybe I traded into Mark for seven number ones to be named later. I do, Uh, it's there's plenty of good games there to pick from. I I do think it's a little you know, that guy Greenberg on ESPN, they they kind of use him as the Jets fan mascot, and it's a little over the top to me, to be honest, every time I try to read a story about the Jets on ESPN dot com. You know, I like Samini as a beat reporter. He's the longest tenured beat reporter in team history, and so he writes from a perspective that's unique on the beat. And I can't scroll down without a giant picture of a video still of Greenberg's eyes bugging out, and I'm like, what is he?
Speaker 4: What is he fired up about? Now?
Speaker 2: In a performance based a pure performance, Like, I know, this isn't how he actually feels like when I'm talking about the Jets. It's how I actually feel. It's not it's not for the cameras or the microphone.
Speaker 4: What a joke? What a joke? Point being wow, hit piece on Greenberg in a big spot.
Speaker 1: I know was like, what did he actually say?
Speaker 4: But he said he was.
Speaker 2: He stood up on his morning show and was screaming that why are the Jets in primetime again Monday night Football to start the season.
Speaker 4: I don't know why.
Speaker 2: I guess bad juju because of what happened with Rogers last year. I think it's I think it's fun and exciting, and it's going to be obviously a reset for the for that team, and damn, I think it's gonna be a lot of fun to see the Niners and the Jets in that spot. The Jets are that great defense, the Niners with the unstoppable offense at home. I think that's a great game. I'm really looking forward to it. And I'll throw one game that could be sneaky great. How about nobody's talking about the Jaguars this year? How about the Jaguars at Miami? Maybe a nice little shootout with two quarterbacksam playing in the warm weather.
Speaker 4: I'll give you one.
Speaker 3: Like not all the matchups are great, but I would think that a second round draft pick in one of our drafts. Like I want to see Jim Harbaugh's Chargers in their debut.
Speaker 4: They're playing the Raiders.
Speaker 3: The Raiders aren't that sexy to me, But like, I can't think of a team that I'm more interested to check out early on is just where the Chargers are right out of the gate and what they become. And it's like, go play the Raiders in Week one and be something different than these past Chargers teams.
Speaker 4: I think they will be.
Speaker 2: I mean, if the Chargers at home against I think that's gonna be a bad Raiders team. Like if they can't beat the Raiders in the Jim Harbor homecoming game, I mean, Chargers fans are gonna be like, are you kidding me?
Speaker 4: Is this happening again?
Speaker 1: I know there's like, yeah, there's varying levels of excitement about the teams around them, but to me, like Jaden Daniels, you want to see his first start. That's against the Bucks, so that's at the same time as the Cowboys. If JJ McCarthy's starting, he gets the Giants in an early game and Bo Nicks, We're gonna have so many damn rookie starters. It's kind of outrageous he starts in Seattle. But the primetime slate though that might be the best. I was kind of looking through it that might be the best primetime slate of any week all season. On paper, those are pretty much I mean, and you can't ruin it with injuries, hopefully, you know, praying to the football gods, you can't ruin it at least with bad records, like we know they'll all be zero and zero going into it. That is a like four bangers in a row to start, So good job, Bite.
Speaker 2: It's a good point though, because these networks, they especially this past year, are just getting absolutely banged over and oh every week by matchups that looked amazing in May that are dog poo by November because of the injuries. And you definitely give yourself more coverage by front loading these schedules, so we'll be ready for that. Now, let's move to Monday Night Football. Let's go through the some of the primetime Island games. We'll start with MNF. I guess I could start Mark, depending on your perspective. I could start with T and F because it's kind of the first game of the week. But I've already said Sunday. We've talked Sunday, so now we've gone to Monday first. I think was that a mistake.
Speaker 4: I don't know if we've made a mistake.
Speaker 3: I do think it's interesting that, like, while you just ripped Greenie a new one, he probably, like you know, minutes later, is wondering who this Jets guy is giving away Jets tickets in London.
Speaker 4: So I think there's just a rivalry there. But anyways, we can move on. You don't think Greenie knows who I am? Now that that hurts no.
Speaker 3: I think I think he's he's probably now you've heard seen you, he's probably dismissing you to the level that you're dismissing him. Because Jets fans in the media don't like other Jets fans taking their spot. I have noticed that in like over the years. I think that's a thing, so.
Speaker 4: I would like it. I would love some examples.
Speaker 1: By the way, I mean, that's a deep cut into our Culver City newsroom. I know exactly who Dan is talking I mean, who Mark is talking about. I know exactly.
Speaker 2: And for the record, you know, Greenie is legit a legitimate Jets fan. I just think they've kind of leaned into his Jets fandom in a bit of a overly performative way.
Speaker 4: But that's that is what it is.
Speaker 2: All right now, you don't think he knows me Monday night football, I do. All right, here we go. So we talked about Jets at Niners. Week two, we have Falcons versus Eagles, so we're gonna get have the Falcons do.
Speaker 4: By the way, with primetime games.
Speaker 1: I'm glad you asked that they are in primetime three of the first five weeks. We're going big on Kirk Early at Philly Monday Night. We two for Kansas City Sunday Night. Week three, we'll get to the Sunday night games, and then they got an Amazon game Tampa week five. So it is it's a lot of Kirk Early we got that. I'm with that.
Speaker 4: I like that.
Speaker 2: We also have three Monday which I've never been a fan of, Mark, and I know you feel this, especially three Monday night football double headers Week three when you have Jags Bills and Commanders Bengals, Week four Titans Dolphins, Seahawks, Lions, and Week seven when you have Ravens, Bucks, Chargers, Cardinals. So you get three of those in a four week stretch, in a five week stretch, and you also get another one. This feels is that it might be tied to the holidays, but Week fifteen, you're gonna get Bears Vikings and then the Falcons again versus the Raiders. Week seventeen, by the way, you have a epic showdown potentially in NFC Championship Showdown preview between the Lions and the Niners. So ever since Joe and Troy hit the scene and the the the rights in terms of just what ESPN pays for Monday Night football and then what they're paying for that booth, these games are so good now. Sunday night football is always going to be king, but Monday Night football now is a very respectable silver medalist.
Speaker 3: I'd say this like, we are veterans of watching multiple games at the same time on Sundays, so if anything, we have the skills to watch these Monday night doubleheaders.
Speaker 4: I just I kind of it's just marked that's that energy in October. Okay, no, I'm saying I like that.
Speaker 3: It's the classic sense that Monday night football used to be like the sporting event of the week, and they're competing against themselves with everything else at this point. So I at some point you got to give up the ghost and be like next year, there'll be five of them in the years after that.
Speaker 4: They'll be seven or eight, so you got to just roll with it.
Speaker 1: At least I'm glad they didn't do it in week one. There should be an asterisk though, Like when you're looking at all the teams, it's like shows how many primetime games each team has. But then you're you know, like the ESPN Plus game for the Arizona Cardinals Chargers as part of a double header, It's like, that shouldn't count as a full prime time game. That's a half of a game for the Cardinals. Sorry, you didn't even really get a David Zaslov over here. Now it's the same thing, like you can kind of see it. It's like, oh, let's give the Titans one prime time game, but it's the it's the ESPN game when ABC has one that that's better. On that same Monday night, Monday Night got one of the games. I was keeping an eye on, where's it going to land on the schedule, The Harbor Little Jim Jim and John John coming to LA on Monday night after Thanksgiving. So it's it's a big football weekend. And then you get a little Harbor v. Harbaugh in Week twelve. I'm intrigued by that. You know you remember the awkward press conferences.
Speaker 4: It's fine.
Speaker 2: Oh, I'm sure modern day Jim Harbaugh is going to handle that extremely well with the daily pressures of the gig at the place he is at now emotionally otherwise.
Speaker 4: It's not just another day, it's two day, all right.
Speaker 2: Why don't we take a look at Sunday Night Football? Less have been any other MNF takes.
Speaker 3: The only one that stands out to me also though, is Bengals Cowboys Week fourteen. It's my main note there is like, can we please still have Joe Burrow at that point? That's some of these games I would like earlier, just for what we talked about before. But if everyone's healthy, that is, you don't. I can't really remember a Bengals Cowboys game of much note in my lifetime.
Speaker 2: I'm honestly like Burrow, sure, you always want to make sure he's on the field.
Speaker 4: I don't know. Are the Cowboys even gonna be good this year? I don't know. I got a weird feeling about the Cowboys.
Speaker 1: Fourteen would be shocking to me. But you're right, I'm with you on the are the Cowboys going to be good?
Speaker 4: All right?
Speaker 2: Let's pause real quick take our first break and when we come back, more schedule talk.
Speaker 4: All right, let's check out Sunday Night Football.
Speaker 2: So I just said that Monday Night Football's slate is always you know, okay, and then it to good and then now that Joe and Troyer involved that now it's great. But nothing ever touches Sunday Night Football it is, which is funny, like speaking of Mark, you're.
Speaker 4: Talking about the old days.
Speaker 2: Uh, you know, checking out the agate in the back of the sports section in ninety one to see what the brown schedule was. But you know, Sunday Night Football used to be a total afterthought.
Speaker 4: On some level.
Speaker 2: It was almost like why does this game exist? Monday Night Football was the marquee game. There was no Thursday night football. Sunday Night Football was this kind of weird ESPN telecast. I remember it was like Joe thigh, what was it thise minute? Paul McGuire was on the call, Paul McGuire and was it McGuire Paul McGuire, Yeah, Paul McGuire was on the call, and the games were sometimes.
Speaker 3: Why am I suddenly like making only comments about the eighties and nineties, like I do have takes about this generation.
Speaker 2: I think you're just correcting me there. Don't don't beat yourself up about that, and that was actually very important.
Speaker 4: That was very important.
Speaker 2: But anyway, so Sunday Night football back then was not the place to be.
Speaker 4: Now it is.
Speaker 2: Let's check it out Sunday Night Football twenty twenty four, and remember at a certain point, and it's earlier than ever now, Greggie, I know you'll have the details.
Speaker 4: These games can start to be flexed out.
Speaker 2: That could happen with other primetime nights as well now, but.
Speaker 4: Sunday Night Football opens.
Speaker 2: We mentioned rams lines a rematch of that great one point Wildcard showdown in Detroit in January. Week two, Chicago, Houston. Oh give me all you got with that.
Speaker 4: I like that.
Speaker 1: I love that. That's creative. I think that was like, we're gonna put Caleb in primetime maybe a couple times. Let's do it right off the bat and Sunday night.
Speaker 2: That's juicy, right because especially the Bears obviously a huge market, huge hype around them, but they could still suck. I mean, they have a rookie quarterback well within the range of outcomes, but in Week two ill sexy and there's no stink on them if stink were to potentially exist down the line, and then you get CJ.
Speaker 4: Stroud Chiefs Falcons.
Speaker 2: The leaning into the Falcons thing is interesting to me, but it is what it is. Bill's Ravens week four. Who that's nice, Cowboys Steelers week five. I'm just gonna go through the Bengals Giants week six, Jet Steelers Week seven, Cowboys Niners week eight, and I'll pause here after Jaguars Eagles Week nine. Any thoughts in the first half of that slate, keep it up, please.
Speaker 3: The one thing I noticed that I love about this season is that you've got the AFC North where you've got four potential playoff teams against the NFC East that it doesn't really matter how good they are their primetime goal. So it's like there's all every week is dotted with these North versus East showdowns, and I'm looking up and down this Sunday night slate. I don't see a bad game outside of a couple a couple teams in a little suspect, it's like there's not a game on the sleep right.
Speaker 1: You can flex games starting Week five. I mean, it'd be sad if you had a Week five game and you got flexed out of it, but maybe it would be a big injury a maximum of two between weeks five and ten, and then you can flex whatever you want after that eleven and on as much as you want. What strikes me, Dan is your is your boys. You know they're not living on Sunday Night where they never used to get any action. But they're just in. We might as well mention it here. They're just in primetime all the time. They got a Monday Night game Week one, Thursday Night game week three, they're in the Hot Toddy, which is an island game, week five, Monday Night week six. You mentioned the Steelers on Sunday Night week seven. They got another Thursday and another Sunday coming up in weeks nine and eleven. That's outrageous. They are in. They are in primetime more than any team in the NFL. I think they're tied with the Chiefs, but they're all also in the first eleven weeks for whatever reason, and then and then it dies off. So it's just get ready. They are not They're not America's team, but they're just gonna be the conversation, like among the leaders in conversation week after week after week.
Speaker 3: I think America's time team might be the team with six standalone games, which is the Lions. We live in a world now where the Jets and Lions have a combined thirteen standalone games and they lead the league.
Speaker 4: That is an unusual place to be. Yeah, it's not about the Jets. It's about Aaron Rodgers.
Speaker 2: And if you look at Aaron Rodgers, how many primetime games he's had, I would imagine no one's had more primetime games in the last fifteen years than Rogers.
Speaker 4: He's bankable.
Speaker 2: And last year, you know, Jets fans had it the worst and Rogers had it the worst the way it all played out, But then everybody got dinged as well with all those games that showed up. So it's almost like the networks in the NFL had a decision to make, which was do we, you know, sit on the Jets a little bit and move away from them, or did last year just not count in a lot of ways, And this is the route they went.
Speaker 4: So I'll get it.
Speaker 2: I'll get the frustration of the Jets disappoint and they keep popping up, But there's also a very good chance when you look at their roster that they are going to be a team that is a competitive playoff team. So I get the consternation if it's out there, but it makes sense to me with.
Speaker 1: Rot, that makes sense. It makes sense, all right.
Speaker 2: In second half of Sunday Night football, Lions Texans dogey.
Speaker 1: There's a lot of Texans too. Yeah, they're betting big on the Texans, which makes sense.
Speaker 4: Colts Jets.
Speaker 2: So the Jets are back again and week eleven, hopefully Anthony Richardson's back as well. Him against that defense makes some sense. Eagles Rams week twelve, Niners, Bills week thirteen. This is a who's who in the NFL, at least where we stand in May Chargers Chiefs Week fourteen, Packers Seahawks. Seahawks get a prime time game in a Sunday night that makes sense. They get it week fifteen, Bucks Cowboys week sixteen. Week seventeen a game mark that potentially could have huge ramifications in the AFC playoff picture, the Finns and the Brownies. And then Week eighteen is TBD VTBD. They always try to make that one either a win or go home game or a game that otherwise has big playoff ramifications.
Speaker 3: The one thing I see, because if you look across these like primetime the only they used to you know, TNF used to be a way to you know, wedge the dirt nap teams at some point into the primetime schedule. And only the Panthers weren't given a primetime game this year, which I think when it's only one team, that's a real slap in the face.
Speaker 4: I hope I was.
Speaker 2: Saving that nugget when we got through the primetime games. But oh yes, while we're here, Yes they are not Monday night or Sunday Night, and they won't be Thursday night either, the only team without a primetime game.
Speaker 4: But man, you go to and.
Speaker 2: Fifteen and you know what, I don't know if the NFL is thrilled with the operations in Carolina and how things have been handled in the last year or so, so you might have a little bit of a slap on the wrist there as well. It doesn't not make sense to me, But if you're bryce young, you were the toast of the town one year ago today, and now you're on a team that doesn't even get a single primetime game when the NFL is probably about fifty nine percent primetime games now. So it does tell you a lot.
Speaker 1: So one thing I noticed looking at this NBC schedule is the Chiefs are on NBC like four or four times, and we don't see it if you're looking at the graphic on YouTube. There's also a Saturday game, which is a new little wrinkle that's part of the NBC schedule. Sometimes was I think on the NFL network, I think CBS as a game and it's this it's Saturday Week sixteen, But NBC has it, and it's like going up against college football a little bit. You know, some bulls are going on by then, and it's a big time game. It's Texans Chiefs, so it's not surprising that they're leaning into the Chiefs. But like the Chiefs are of the Sunday Night Football are like the NBC team which a lot of Tariko and Mahomes, well.
Speaker 4: Well it's Collinsworth in Mahomes sure, and Mark.
Speaker 2: I get the frustration of people not wanting to hear the folksye wisdom of Collins Earth screaming about Patrick Mahomes for the ninth straight season.
Speaker 4: But I really do hope.
Speaker 2: I have a lot of concerns based on the current construction and the roster and the uncertainty around Rashi Rice and the amount of pressure being put on a rookie wide receiver and Hollywood Brown to be big time stars, that we might have another somewhat ground and pound type Chiefs team that maybe they're not as fun to watch in prime time. But certainly you can't complain about the Chiefs being a prime time they're the back to back champs.
Speaker 3: No, but that's not one of my top fifty concerns about the upcoming season is the Chiefs being unwatchable.
Speaker 4: I know what you're saying.
Speaker 3: I think they have a better wide out cores already without even if you miss Rice for a big chunk of the season potentially wise, and they did last year. And my issue is more with Tony Romo and Mahomes and this is taking some of those Mahomes moments and big matchups away from Tony Romo and giving them too Chris Collinsworth. So you're right, you're there's more to consider there.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that Saturday thing is weird. It was a little twist because now I'm looking at it and we'll get to the Wednesday Christmas games. But they put the Ravens and the Chiefs both on that Saturday game, two big time games. The other game is Steelers Ravens and that one's on Fox. And so that that's just a little new wrinkle. They're trying to take out college football. I mean, they're coming for everyone, putting big time games on those days and then putting the big time quarterbacks, making them go from Saturday to Wednesday, you know, on a Christmas wind.
Speaker 4: When does it end? Who? I mean, where when do the slaughters? See?
Speaker 1: There's no such thing as enough enough, as it does not exist.
Speaker 2: All right's take a break and we'll take a look at that Thursday night football schedule.
Speaker 4: Yeah, right, welcome back. In case you're just joining us. Would be weird.
Speaker 2: But maybe you wanted to jump ahead of the ads and then you went too far and you were like, I'll just start here, you know, like I'm sure that happens.
Speaker 4: Sometimes people have a lot.
Speaker 1: Of min thirty minutes. How bad are they at pressing the thirty second forward?
Speaker 2: You know, it's just it was a decision they made, and you know, they didn't lose sleep about it.
Speaker 4: They're not going to lose sleep about it. Anyway.
Speaker 2: We are going through the NFL schedule release that went down on May fifteenth, that is today's taping. And you know, I just think we're throwing up these graphics. You could watch this on YouTube. Check out the program on YouTube. Uh if you want to get another viewpoint and how this show looks and operates and throw up like throw up Thursday night football right now at ETP because I'm see that there's it's an issue because it's covering up Greg right now. And it is there a way to make let's play with our our head shots? Is there a way to get all take it down? Take it down a second?
Speaker 4: It's obscuring Greg that doesn't see Yeah.
Speaker 2: All right, try a different grouping of the images for video.
Speaker 4: Okay, now throw it up?
Speaker 1: Good?
Speaker 4: I like that?
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, this one like that.
Speaker 3: This works, but this is ridiculous. Then I'm now I'm blocked. And that works for you.
Speaker 1: But it's cleaner and it's actually even tighter on Dana looks good.
Speaker 4: It looks good.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Eric said he was going to fix it. I don't see how this is how I would label it. I mean, I you know, I can understand for some of the listeners of the viewers, but I'm completely off the screen now.
Speaker 4: So nice work.
Speaker 1: This is accellently kind of amazing, just hearing marked disembodied voice behind a you know, Broncos versus.
Speaker 4: Slowly getting more angry like that I.
Speaker 3: Need to do. Do I need to discuss Thursday Night Football still?
Speaker 2: Or you know, it would be good if we could do in post production the literal steam starting to come out from on the sides of the schedule for Thursday Night Football, so pictable. All right, No, you could go back to the original one, because Mark's gonna be get mad.
Speaker 4: So all right, let's let's go.
Speaker 2: Let's go through Thursday Night because Thursday Night is again it used to be the redheaded stepchild of the primetime slate. But then the NFL network sold or NFL Media sold, or NFL sold it to Prime, and and now Prime says, no, you got to give us some good games. So we've gotten better games as a result. So what we found in a lot of ways here is that the Sunday product, ironically, which is you know what it's all about. Because of the business side of the NFL, so many games now have to be farmed out to these primetime slots. Mark that Sunday doesn't always have the best games anymore, and usually doesn't, except when you take out Sunday Night Football. But the plus side is these Island games have gotten a lot better over the years.
Speaker 3: Thoughts on that, Well, yeah, I still think that that four PM slot, whether it's Fox or CBS, will continual to have major bangers because they're paying a ton of money for that. But you're right, like the best games on paper when we're looking at it now, each one of these primetime venues are solidified. There isn't like one that's just sort of floating stinkers out there like TNF used to be. So I see on this one we can get into it. But on this slate for TNF this year, yeah, they're leading hard into divisional rivalries and they got a lot of good divisional games, especially late in the year.
Speaker 1: You know, I agree with everything you're saying, Dan, but this is the spot where you sneak in a couple teams. So we get the PAI. The Patriots get one primetime game. Oh how the Mighty have fallen? You know, they got the international game, but they have one prime time game. You do it early before their record Maybe is too bad? Is Drake May? And isn't it funny? Now? The Jets are the big team lifting up the Patriots for their old only primetime game, and then you kind of see it here. It's like the Bucks didn't get a lot of primetime love even though they won their division three street times. Let's sneak them in here. It's like the Broncos and Saints don't get a lot of love. Now let's do the Sean Payton revenge game. And I don't know if it's revenge, but Sean Payton comes to New Orleans and so that's like a fun game. So some teams still this is like where they slide.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, it's still of the of the island slots. Thursday is still going to be the landing spot in that sense. But I mean, I've been with the company for the entire run of Thursday Night Football, and it used to be it used to feel like the Jaguars and Titans played every week, and if it wasn't actually the Jaguars and Titans, it was those type of matchups almost every Thursday.
Speaker 4: And now we got Bangers.
Speaker 2: So let's go through a Week two because obviously Week one is the kickoff game and that.
Speaker 4: Goes to NBC.
Speaker 2: You have Bills, Dolphins, and then you have a rivalry game Pats Jets with new quarterbacks in the mix, Cowboys, Giants, Bucks, Falcons.
Speaker 4: So Mark, you're dead on.
Speaker 2: These are big time division rivals, Niners, Seahawks. Now we have an intra inter conference Broncos Saints Week seven, Vikings Rams Week eight, Texans Jets, Big Showdown Week nine, Week ten, Bengals Ravens Week eleven, Commanders Eagles Week twelve, o Markie Steelers, Brownies Week fourteen, So I think we got Thanksgiving their week thirteen, Week fourteen, Packers Lions, Week fifteen, Rams Niners Week sixteen, Browns are back against the Bengals, another big primetime game. And then week seventeen, two teams that are hoping to be in the postseason race Seahawks and Bears.
Speaker 3: Like that week takeout, Week eleven, Commanders Eagles. I mean, we don't know where we're gonna be about with the Commanders, But ten, twelve, fourteen, fifteen, sixteen, those are megaton matchups between playoff teams, Like that's that's unusual for TNF six years ago.
Speaker 1: To your point, Yeah, Packers, Lions and Rams Niners fourteen and fifteen back to back. The Bengals Ravens.
Speaker 4: It is.
Speaker 1: This does seem like they're doing everything they can to keep al as invested as possible in this last year, potentially on this contract.
Speaker 4: So the Panthers are the only one. Yeah, that that feels a little personal. It should have been like twelve, two teams, then you're not alone, you know.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, but me though, GREGI like, if it's two teams, then you can say, well, you know, there's a reason and there's only so much space.
Speaker 4: But when it's just the one team, I'm.
Speaker 1: Just saying the Cardinals had only ESPN plus the Jags get the international games, but they only have one sort of secondary Monday Night football. Actually, now they have a couple of my Now, you're right, it's it's not great, but they were you could they were truly an abysmal team.
Speaker 2: Yeah, all right, let's check you You know, we have a ton of listeners overseas, so why don't we check out the international game schedule as you know, and that the Zuzzer is giving away two of his own tickets the Jets Vikings October sixth about at the Hot Toddy. Check out social on NFL UK and Irish NFL side of things, and of course my own handles where you can. All you got to do, by the way, on that post is comment and tag a buddy and you could get those tickets.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna do that. There's no there's nothing. I watched the video. Nothing in the video says that Mark and I are you know.
Speaker 2: No literally in the video and says yeah, you you must be a resident of the United Kingdom or Ireland.
Speaker 4: So we are not eligible.
Speaker 2: But we can hopefully if we're at you know, that game, we can meet those fans that I like.
Speaker 3: Where Greg's head is out though, I mean that was that's I would have done there too, if there were no stipulations.
Speaker 2: I like, I like us being involved in like a quiz show level scandal over this. That feels like a nice way, Like of all the ways that we could exit the company. That feels like the best version of our out of our ouster.
Speaker 4: Hot take.
Speaker 2: God Saved the Queen better song than God Saved the King. The lyrics had just hit harder. I thought, lyrically, it was a better song.
Speaker 1: He had a great run.
Speaker 2: Yeah, let's check out the schedule. I mean, King Charles, they just had his portrait. Do you see that he looks like Vigo from Ghostbusters too, like what are we doing?
Speaker 4: They made him look he looked relatively youthful and hotter than I believe he is today, by my per just my personal take, but he looked a little more fiery and youthful.
Speaker 2: But well, the reason it looks more fiery is because you could see it as what it would feel like to be in hell. I mean, that's all. It's it's quite red, that's all all right. Let's see the schedule. Nice king talking a big spot, A little king breakdown. International schedule, sen Paolo, Brazil, Friday Night, Week one. You know what, I've come around on this. I came around on this pretty quickly. I bet this is going to be an awesome vibe, great energy, and a great game. Jordan Love coming off his breakout twenty twenty three season against the Eagles, who obviously are the offseason champions as they always are, but they have some doubters to prove wrong now as a new season kicks off and they get a fresh start in Brazil and then we get three games in London. I mentioned that the Jets Viking October sixth at the Hot Toddy.
Speaker 4: You have Jaguars.
Speaker 2: Doing the back to back as they are wont to do Jaguars against Bears, so you're getting again, you're getting Caleb Williams. Hopefully the Bears are the real deal and they're a good team or an entertaining team by the middle of October and the Jaguars bounce back after a rough ending to their previous season, and then the next week you get the Pats who It's interesting, Greggy. The Pats people might not know this people in the United Kingdom do, but and surrounding territories that the Patriots, because of their winning ways, were the most popular team in that region when we first made our trips to London about five years ago. I wonder what kind of hold they have now that they've had some down years post Tom Brady. It's just interesting, but they are there obviously for a reason. They want to keep a foothole in the market. They get the Jaguars. That game's at Wembley Stadium, so let's talk about the London games.
Speaker 1: I think they have a huge foothold just based on social today because I saw the announcements for these games and every other reply just about where Patriots fans being like five make say yeah, like we're so excited because they actually haven't played in the UK. They were in Germany last year, but they haven't played in the UK, I believe in a decade, so it's been a while. So these are popular team. Bears are a very popular team in the UK. That's a fun matchup.
Speaker 4: I like it.
Speaker 1: We got we gotta get to the Hot Toddy. I guess we're going to see your team, you know, if we were picking one. I don't know if we're going to any of these, but I feel like if we were going to one, we're probably aiming for that Jets game.
Speaker 3: They do get Aaron Rodgers, you get you know in theory JJ McCarthy, that's another rookie.
Speaker 4: And I think.
Speaker 2: Aaron Rodgers versus Sam Darnold at the Hot Toddy, pinch me.
Speaker 4: I've woken up and gone to have.
Speaker 3: I think they're trying to squeeze least one win here for the Jaguars based on the opponent, and because you know, they only have seven games in Jacksonville, so I feel like a home game.
Speaker 4: Am I crazy? I feel like they play well over there.
Speaker 1: They've been good overall. Last week, last year, yeah, last year, turned their season around really at least for a while until until it didn't. They you know, reached the new stadium deal, which I was wondering how that would affect London, but as stipulated and it's not completely agreed to, there's there's a lot of stuff going on. But they still be coming to London one game a year. I don't think they'll be coming to anymore, or at least according to that deal, that they'll be still planning to do the one game in London. Uh even when that starts, which won't be for another five years.
Speaker 4: You'll be kind of an awesome move.
Speaker 2: If Shotkun's Sun still had the neck brace in October.
Speaker 4: You got to lean into it. I think he I think that'd be incredible.
Speaker 2: Or maybe even like maybe he's more injured, maybe he's in the you know, the old what's funnier or more pathetic than the neck brace whenever someone's in the full body cast, when you have it on the arms and the legs and you're in the wheelchair, you're just a human disaster and stuff ramp it up. And finally, the international game in Germany this year in Munich is.
Speaker 4: Against the Panthers, so.
Speaker 1: They get a stand alone game.
Speaker 2: They do, they get I guess they give them that, yet keep on, they bury the Panthers somewhere in Eastern Europe and uh and and they get they do get a nine thirty am Eastern Germany game. So Okay, I didn't know that. I didn't realize that. So so they can. So let me just walk back what I said a little bit earlier, like they didn't get nothing, you know what I mean. They got, Oh, we're sending you, we are And imagine the phone calls like no, no, no, you can't be upset. We're sending you to Germany. That's an incredibly important and ferociously growing territory for US, and we've chosen you, mister Tepper, to represent us there. So they're covered a little bit there. That gives them a little bit of back end coverage from this perspective.
Speaker 3: Also, I mean, that's how you grow a German fan base. There could be a bunch of seven to nine year old first time football observers and they fall in love with the Panthers, unknowing of what state they sit in the NFC South at the moment.
Speaker 1: Maybe they'll be much better. It does make me think about the Germany game last year, though I know there was two. One of them was called Pats. But I saw the little the graphic for this one, you know, Giants, and I'm excited. Those three London games and the Germany game. They're all our NFL Network games. That's our time to shine. But I remember the graphic for last year's game in Germany and it was Tyreek Hill and Patrick Mahomes and in this time it was you know, Bryce Young and Dexter Lawrence. And I actually had to google because I'm like, that's probably Dexter Lawrence, but I'm not really sure what his face looks like. He's he is the best player on the Giants, and it was kind of a beefy face, but I had to make sure it was Dexter Lawrence. It was Dexter Lawrence.
Speaker 4: Nice. Well done, by the way, Yes, good point. Mark.
Speaker 2: Because these European football fans, they are they have long memories. I mean the fact that the Bears are a popular team. The Bears have done like nothing in forty years. But a certain age of a football fan that came up in the in the mid eighties, when the NFL's first started trickling through and getting across the sea. That's why there's a lot of Marino and dolphin fans like Handsome Hank, And then there's a lot of people are like my favorite players, Refrigerator Perry.
Speaker 4: What a specimen nut Perry was over there? So that makes a lot of sense.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, from one yard out, why didn't Walsh a python get the ball? All right, let's check out the holiday games back here in the States. Thanksgiving twenty twenty four, can't wait, maybe my favorite holiday outside of Christmas. Love Thanksgiving November twenty eighth. We got Bears lines in the early game. And again there's you know, Marky, there's a lot of pressure on the Bears not to suck when as we go through these island games here on schedule release day, because if the Bears are fun and Williams is ahead of pace and I did see. We had our first trope alert around a rookie quarterback that popped up on social media earlier today, some type of beat report. I don't think it was a beat report. It might have been a TV reporter. I actually don't know who it was. I think he was a fan more or less a fan account was It said I know I shouldn't say this, but Caleb Williams as he's just throwing warm up tosses on you know, Slants, is like, he looks so comfortable, he's ready for this, Like ope, alert, Holy God, can we just let the guys get a little more deep into the summer at least before we start with that business anyway, Bears Lions on CBS, and then you have Giants Cowboys, And I'll be fair here, you know, I try to be positive about the g Men, but we need the Giants not to be one of the worst teams in the league, which they could be. That game, of course, is always going to be in Dallas, so that game could be a dog potentially, and then the Thursday Thanksgiving night game Dolphins versus Hackers. We're outside of the Super Bowl September Dolphins at this stage, so the idea is this game in Green Bay. Yes, I'm a little nervous about the Miami Dolphins in late November giving us a show, but maybe this.
Speaker 3: Year is different, or or it's a way to show us that, like in the fridge or that temperature bay, they can survive. But this slate throws me just a little bit because I think I feel like, you know, it's this always seemed like a place for like Ravens Steelers or something that just like absolutely had, like you know, conference title game implications. I just don't see that with this slate. But I kind of love the idea that we could get a really spicy Bears team here, Giants TBD and Dolphins Packers. Is uh, that's intriguing and it's just a little atypical for Thanksgiving to me.
Speaker 4: I do like sacking the Giants and the Bears both to be good might be a lot, But if one of those teams is feisty, then then I could live with it.
Speaker 1: I love Dolphins Packers. You're right though, I saw that and I was like, oh, that is a It doesn't feel like a Thursday night game, but it does are a Thanksgiving night game. But Green Bay like Lambeau on Thanksgiving Night. There is something spicy by that. And I was thinking about the Giants Cowboy because they had this game just two years ago. The Giants were pretty good two years ago. But this is usually the most watch game of the year. Is that game or it's the lie the two most watch games of the year Our Lions Early you know, Thanksgiving and then the next Cowboys won, and it's like maybe they just feel like it's it's team proof. You can you can throw anyone in there, you throw in a big market or whatever. But it's like people are watching that no matter what. I'm not I'm not turning it off.
Speaker 2: If it's a blowout, maybe they should actually, you know, because at this point they're like, we dominate the ratings no matter what.
Speaker 4: Let's put Panthers Jags in there and see what happens. Kind of number we do.
Speaker 3: Maybe that's yeah, that's a that's a bridge good concept and I take that to the top of the network.
Speaker 1: I'm sure I'm gonna say it. It is my favorite, and that is the best holiday. It's past Christmas for me now? Is that because my family leaves me like three nights before Christmas and we have to pretend it's Christmas the week?
Speaker 2: Greg Rosenthal, so whatever we saw, Hi, I feel like for you and Jeneral, it.
Speaker 1: Always was as a kid, we we always celebrated the twenty fifth, it was Presence Day, but yes, Thanksgiving wins.
Speaker 4: They said President's Day.
Speaker 2: I was like, oh, you celebrate the US President's on December twenty fifth.
Speaker 4: President Day.
Speaker 2: All right, let's check out Christmast further ado, somehow we made it happen because the NFL defeated days. Now Christmas falls on a Tuesday, I think Tuesday or Wednesday.
Speaker 4: It's a Wednesday.
Speaker 3: And in fact, to your point, like the one little nugget about the team that we want, like the Chiefs, who we're gonna they play on every day of.
Speaker 4: The week this season except for Tuesday. Every day of the week except for Tuesday, I read. I mean, if you go look at it, because this game seals it.
Speaker 1: But well they don't play out of Friday though, but yeah, but close, there's that one Friday game.
Speaker 2: Anybody else that gets funny Like when we were kids, like every game was on Sunday and maybe one Monday night game. And now you have the defending champion playing what six days a week?
Speaker 4: Greg they play on blacks, Oh my god, they do.
Speaker 1: I'm so they play.
Speaker 4: Every day of the week except for Tuesday. Like that's never happened to an NFL team in the history of our of the earth.
Speaker 1: Never.
Speaker 2: You just laid out another challenge for Mike North in the Park Avenue, like how can we make ca we get all seven they'll do it.
Speaker 1: They'll figure it out. They got the Black Friday Game. They really you know, it's not quite to the level of NBA where like the players like if Lebron or Curry's on, it's just like that's why, that's why they talk about them so much. That their games just like do double other games. But Mahomes and the Chiefs are kind of like that now that they're just like, anytime we need a big spot like Amazon, tell us the one thing you want the most this year, we want Patrick Mahomes on that Black Friday game. I swear, I bet bet that was it. And it's like, okay, we can make all that.
Speaker 4: And by the way, I hope, I hope you the listener.
Speaker 2: Have the financial wherewithal to have multiple streaming options because it continues to build up what you need to watch all these key games.
Speaker 4: Because the Christmas games this year are on Netflix. That's a new.
Speaker 3: One, and the next two years also they would get for that.
Speaker 1: They're great.
Speaker 2: So the Christmas Day games, which again is a Wednesday, but now football's played on Wednesdays. Chiefs versus Steelers one pm Eastern, and then you have Ravens versus Texans gorgeous four thirty pm Eastern. A little bit surprised that they don't have a Christmas night game.
Speaker 1: I wonder why Wednesday. I think that's why even two. I saw that there was two. I felt like that's a stretch, just because.
Speaker 3: I think it's because you had these but these teams mishmash and play each other the Saturday before, so you'd have to get another two teams.
Speaker 2: Right, because the turnaround is so brutal, you have to at least do an earlier game to do a primetime game, which you can't give all these I guess you could figure out a way. What I'm curious what the Ravens and Texans have the week after Christmas? Right, but it's after byes, so they're both playing, so that that is tough Jesus, I mean that is.
Speaker 1: That's tough. So we had Puka Akua on NFL Network. I'm using the the NFL network. We and he said they asked him what he thought about the schedule, and he said, all I look for is that is the Thursday night games, because it's like that's the that's the weeks you have to sort of almost plan ahead to prepare my body and that's just going to be a totally crazy different week than any other week. That's on the player's minds first and foremost.
Speaker 4: Think about that. Think about the by the end of the.
Speaker 2: Regular season, the physical toll of these games and these these two teams, I mean four teams playing on Wednesday, that they then have to turn around and I'd have to go before I kind.
Speaker 1: Of well, they go Saturday, they go Saturday to Wednesday. So it they those four teams. As Mark pointed out that that weird Saturday I was talking about before that's now going to be on major networks. Those teams will then flip and also play on Wendes.
Speaker 3: Think about this though, because I mean, you know, this isn't huge to us, but even from like a fantasy angle, if the game is on Wednesday versus even Thursday or the next Sunday, there's a handful of players that might be like, well, I could have played on Sunday, but I can't get out there on Wednesday. And there's teams that don't even really add a lot of like schematical intricacies for Thursday night games, or don't even practice they just do a walkthrough. So it kind of truncates everything in a way that we haven't really seen outside of that Raven Steelers Wednesday game during Corona when half the Broster's route with Corona.
Speaker 1: Now, the flip side is that's like Fantasy playoffs, and you got people who like their dfs and they like watching the games for gambling reasons or whatever, and that's kind of fun to add an extra day of that, you know, and don't Saturday and add the Wednesday of that.
Speaker 2: I'm glad we're talking about this though, because if you really want to dig in and like, what does matter in the middle of May when you look at these schedules, the turnarounds and which teams have these brutal turnarounds does matter? So And I'm citing because you know Florio, I mean, how many he's written, probably fifty five articles today about the schedule he has won. Here he mentions that there was a rule for many years that the NFL acquired teams to play only once per year with a four day turnaround. They got rid of that before last season, and now multiple teams play multiple games with only three days off between games.
Speaker 4: This year, thirteen teams do it twice.
Speaker 2: So the Jets that is a flip side of having all that, you know, the spotlight on you is that you have a lot of short weeks. The Jets, the Niners, the Seahawks, Rams, Bengals, Browns, Dolphins, Cowboys, Giants, Bears, Steelers, the Ravens, and the Texans all have multiple games with only three days off.
Speaker 1: Basically last year's playoff teams plus the Giants and the Giant those are all good teams.
Speaker 2: So the two New York teams and then playoff teams, so you know, you could you could kind of figure that out. For Pittsburgh, Baltimore and Houston, one short week happens between Sunday and Thursday, and the their lands on US Saturday to Wednesday for Christmas. The Chiefs also have a five day turnaround to Black Friday and a four day turnaround between Saturday, December twenty first and Wednesday, December twenty fifth. There are studies that the league has done that short week football injury rate is not higher. But you also listen to the players and they and as you just said, they have to wrap their head around it and plan and be prepared mentally as well as physically, because it's very challenging, all right, anything else, guys, before we do a little news and say goodbye, anything about the schedule that jumps out to.
Speaker 1: We get Russell Wilson returning to Denver's week two if he make if he has a job. I did think like the teams that and this is more of a schedule thing, if you were ever going to try to get into this schedule of like what's helpful. I feel like the team's divisions that play the NFC South, that's helpful. So the NFC East plays the NFC South or vice versa, that that's helpful. The AFC West, the Chiefs. The Chiefs to me have one of the even though they have the quick turnaround and they have the first place schedule, they actually have one of the easiest schedules because I think that division's pretty lame, and they play the NFC South out of division, So you know, did the victor go the spoils? I guess Chiefs.
Speaker 4: We also get Chiefs Niners week seven in that four to twenty five slot, so not everything's on prime time. I can't wait to see that one.
Speaker 1: That's good. That's fun.
Speaker 2: Let's see the NFL research department. Who I am, as you boys are quite fond of.
Speaker 4: They have.
Speaker 2: Some great tidbits in their schedule released research packet. They take a look at They have a whole section.
Speaker 4: Here on revenge. Throw some revenge games at you. You'll love revenge.
Speaker 2: Right, this is where Chris's eyes would especially glaze over.
Speaker 4: Let me see, let me see if I can find this.
Speaker 2: Let's take a break real quick, and then I'll find this, and then we'll hit a little bit of news and say goodbye.
Speaker 4: Be right back.
Speaker 2: All right, we are back as promised. And I know people were just.
Speaker 4: They couldn't.
Speaker 2: I mean, they wanted to respect the sponsors, so they didn't fast forward through the commercials. But it must have felt like an endless weight to get to the to the top ten revenge games of twenty twenty four.
Speaker 1: I want to hear them. I guys ready that the rust I mentioned has to be on there. I spoiled one of them.
Speaker 4: I'm sure.
Speaker 2: Etp give me some like revenge background music. Okay, all right, Saquon Barkley versus the Giants, saqua and you know what I'm sick of, like being critical of the Eagles and taking a little break from that.
Speaker 4: But also Saquon did not cover himself in glory.
Speaker 2: He was sitting courtside at Sixers games during that Sixers Knicks series. It's like he was like trying to taunt Giants fans because some Giants fans were mean to him on Twitter. Buddy, just you know what, live along and prosper my friend Star Wars reference. Just you know, have fun, enjoy yourself. You don't need to tweak Giants fans. They didn't want you to leave. That was management that decided to sign Daniel Jones. Bizarre anyway, saquon Giants week seven and eighteen, we mentioned Russell Wilson at the Broncos Week two.
Speaker 4: He throw magical, He.
Speaker 2: Turns into twenty fourteen Russell Wilson and lights up Sean Payton for four seventy and four touchdowns.
Speaker 1: That's like legit revenge. That's a real revenge game if it is but dark.
Speaker 3: But Russell Wilson was like, if you have to come from the angle that Russell Wilson was done really wrong by the Broncos.
Speaker 4: Like it.
Speaker 3: He didn't come in there and shine and then was ingloriously cut. It was like a disaster that they had to to walk away from.
Speaker 4: No, I don't know.
Speaker 1: Him and his coach didn't get along. His coach showed him up a little bit.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 2: They were the late season benching, which was financially justifiable, but was also you know, for a guy of Wilson's stature in the league was it was a tough one to swallow. He was released. I'm just looking at this written down. It's still crazy when you look at it. Wilson was released after two seasons into a five year, of two hundred and forty five million dollar contract he signed in twenty twenty two. Stefan Diggs versus the Bills in Week five.
Speaker 4: I'm sure he's gonna want to have many catches in that game. We'll see if he can get open still.
Speaker 2: Kirk Cousins at Vikings in Week fourteen. Aaron Jones versus Packers, Week four and seventeen.
Speaker 4: Derek Carr versus the Raiders.
Speaker 1: Oh, I kind of like that.
Speaker 4: That's good. Well that's in week seventeen. Let's see where Derek Carr exists in our life at that point. That's fair, that's fair.
Speaker 1: It could be Spencer Rattler versus the Raiders.
Speaker 4: All Right, this one, I'm gonna have to I'm gonna swing by the U.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna swing by the research department to say we need to remove this one. Calvin Ridley versus the Jaguars. I can't, I can't go there.
Speaker 4: I don't know.
Speaker 1: They just needed a round ten number. Let's get Jakobe Brissette versus Washington or something.
Speaker 4: Montes sweat at.
Speaker 1: The Come on, I mean they needed ten fine.
Speaker 2: Sweat at Commanders. Brian Burns at Panthers. Ooh la la from Germany, im Germany.
Speaker 4: Revenge.
Speaker 1: I love Dexter Lawrence, but yeah, give give the Burns.
Speaker 4: We will have revenge up. Bryan Burns.
Speaker 2: Hacktung Baby forty nine Ers versus chiefs Ah because of the Super Bowl.
Speaker 4: Wait, what order is this list in that's not buried below? Derek Carr versus the Raiders.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, I love our research department. They have honorable mention. Let's keep going. Bills at Rams, Tredavious White versus the Bills.
Speaker 1: Hell, yeah, okay, Rams.
Speaker 4: You know, Devin White versus the Bucks.
Speaker 1: Ravens tox somesh on on Devin White back in the day. So that's real revenge.
Speaker 4: Ravens versus Bengals. Geno Stone versus the.
Speaker 2: Raven Chiefs at Bills twenty twenty two AFC Divisional Round rematch.
Speaker 4: We're losing. Momentum Ravens versus Steelers, Patrick Queen. Patrick Queen goes and makes a ton of money and it's his revenge game.
Speaker 2: And finally Marky me arc Jerry Judy versus the Biancles.
Speaker 3: Me Ork, I don't Jerry Judy to me? Is like if like the Broncos won that one.
Speaker 1: See they they clearly are focused on players that change teams this last year. Yeah, but I'll circle another one for you. Week thirteen, Danny Boy, Yeah, Gino Smith at the New York Jets, let's go.
Speaker 4: Okay's got that? I buy?
Speaker 2: That feels like the water is way under the bridge at this point, but it's fine. It could probably replace Geno Stone versus the Ravens. I think it could probably edge out.
Speaker 1: In met life Gino shows you proud of me?
Speaker 2: No, Dad, I could probably. I know this sounds crazy, Greg, but I could probably. Not one Jets fan has ever thought to themselves if only we had Gino Smith this whole time?
Speaker 4: All right?
Speaker 2: News Jared Goff, Yes, the Lions have six primetime games.
Speaker 4: How about that?
Speaker 2: And Jared Goff will be the quarterback if the fates allow, and he's going to be the quarterback there for multiple years to come. Because right after we finished recording and I thought, I thought we declared vengeance, by the way, the whole industry to do this. But not an hour after we left the studio on Monday, GoF and the Lions four year, two hundred and twelve million dollar contract extension got out there. He was heading into the final year of a four year extension. He originally signed with the Rams back in twenty nineteen, traded, of course, to the Lions in twenty twenty one. Listened to this show at that time, listened to anything at the time. It was widely assumed that GoF was a bridge to whatever came next to quarterback for the Lions and nothing more than that. But instead GoF returned to playing at a high level like the early days with the Rams and became a beloved figure in Detroit, almost the rare Greggie underdog figure for a guy that was a number one overall pick who had been to a Super Bowl before he got to Detroit. So now he is amongst the highest paid players in football. He will receive one hundred and seventy million and guaranteed money on this new deal, contract runs through twenty seven, an option to remain with the team through twenty eight. It's a remarkable comeback story in a lot of ways, a unique one because the circumstances are so different than a typical comeback story. But it is a comeback story. Don't get it twisted.
Speaker 1: You're absolutely right. There isn't quite a perfect comp to anything like this happening in NFL history, partly because we've never had these sort of contracts, but a player that was traded as a distressed asset, where goff last contract, which was very similar, I've actually believe depends on how you slice it up. I think the numbers are a little fluffed up. But there's one way to look at it. With the new money that he's like the second highest paid quarterback in new money per year average. And that was what he was when he signed the huge deal with the Rams, that he was the second highest paid quarterback, and that contract proved to be so bad that they had to trade him essentially as a like with negative value. And yet here he is just a few years later signing the equivalent to that contract. Again, it's remarkable. Basically the first three years of this are more or less guaranteed, so he he is locked in at least three twenty twenty six, which and for huge, huge money.
Speaker 3: Yeah, because I think, like you always wait a couple of days to find out like if there's Fugezi elements to some of these deals. Like it's a lot of real money that he is getting, and I mean it is interesting to see what happens with him the player. But in twenty twenty six, he has like a nearly seventy million dollar cap hit, So I mean it's it's just like it, I think. But in general with the cap, like these deals don't concern you the way that they would have in the past.
Speaker 4: There's just a way to get through these.
Speaker 3: But this is like not they this is full belief in a player that the general manager knew going in and like took a chance on. And even at the draft, it's like the roster loves him, the town loves him. He's getting paid, and it's one of the it's one of the better stories because you're right, Dan, like I used to make I used to just use words to describe Jared Goff as one of the most dull to the eyes quarterbacks around and he's completely transformed the way that we look at him over the past two seasons.
Speaker 1: Can I have like a medium hot take on this, Like this contract might not be great, Like even in a best case scenario, we are in this weird spot where like the top thirteen or fourteen quarterbacks all get to be about the highest paid quarterback in the league for a little while, but they're not even Like the fact that Jared Goff essentially is getting the same contracts as Joe Burrow and Josh Allen and stuff, and think he's nowhere near as good a player, Like that's that's not that helpful to the Lions. I don't think you want to. You maybe just don't have a choice. But like he's significant, Like his numbers are very poor against pressure, they always have been. He needs things to be right. He's somewhere in like the eight to twelve range, and that's great. They he stabilized them. He's perfect for them. But like just as a pure like analytical numbers thing, like it's not great for them that they basically have to give him Patrick Mahomes and Joe Burrow's contract when he's nowhere near as good as those players. I mean, Kelly, it's worth noting, right.
Speaker 2: I mean, who's the big the biggest winner or all these quarterbacks that are better than him? Like right, Like, well they just raised the floor. So if you're now I eight even feels strong. I like golf a lot, but I feel like, and we'd have to do and we'll do this exercise, We'll do little Dalton scale at some point this offseason. But I would say he's in that ten to twelve range maybe, And and if he's getting paid this outrageous sum, that just lifts it up for everybody else. I feel like, ultimately, though, in a lot of ways, like the Lions were in a tough spot because what are you gonna do? You're gonna play hardball with GoF You're gonna move on from golf like you're gonna or are you gonna try to keep this the ship which is running on very the fuel is like high octime, high octane, good vibes in Detroit and a lot of you know, a lot of feeling about this.
Speaker 4: This could be the year.
Speaker 2: Hey the quarterback, you heard it, You heard those fans hens of that, hundreds of thousands of Detroit or is chanting his name. It's they overpaid, I'm sure, but if if you're a quarterback that could play at a high level in that offense, there are worse ways to spend your money.
Speaker 3: I also like the Lions are, and not like in an annoying way that I think, like the Eagles get on your radar, Dan obviously, but like they just kind of Brad Holmes and the whole front up, they do things their own way, and they kind of they believe what they believe and they've been proven correct building this team, and it's like they got this done before, like Dak Prescott gets paid or too.
Speaker 4: I mean there's other quarterbacks sitting out there.
Speaker 3: There's a Trevor Lawrence sitting out there and other dudes Jordan Love where it's like these contracts are should have happened in some cases, I think twos is a is a mysterious one. How to handle that, But like now it adds like a little heat to all of those deals as well.
Speaker 2: By the way, it's the coverage of the Philadelphia Eagles that I have a problem with, not the Eagles themselves.
Speaker 3: Well, but I mean when they're like the Eagles think differently It's like, I think the Lions think differently, but it's not on everyone's radar because they're probably closer to being America's team than the Cowboys for many.
Speaker 4: And one other transaction.
Speaker 2: Marquez Valdez Scantling, formerly of the Chiefs who won a Super Bowl, made a few plays there on the way to the Lombardy has signed with the Bills. And you know, we did that exercise a couple of maybe last week looking at some position groups and I pulled the Bill's depth chart and trying to make sense of it in a post Digs world, And yeah, MVS is just like yet another guy in that room.
Speaker 4: It's you take a look at this Bill's depth right now. This is listen.
Speaker 2: We're putting a lot of faith in Josh Allen. The offensive line is good, and the running back broke out last year, James Cook. So we're not gonna say the Bills are gonna have stroke struggle scoring points.
Speaker 1: But he's probably their wide receiver for although I think he actually adds some value just because they didn't really have like an outside burner.
Speaker 2: Usually he keeps on signing with the right quarterbacks. I'll get I have to give MBS that.
Speaker 1: He's usually good for like four hundred yards in the regular season, but then suddenly it's the AFC Championship game and he's like two for seventy five with a game winning play, and so maybe he'll keep that going. But yeah, your your depth chart would be what there's no one.
Speaker 2: This is awesome. They are the just the guy all stars. Here we go. Curtis Samuel, I know we like him. We got the rookie second round pick, Kean Coleman, who knows what he's going to give you a year one, you got Khalil Shakir. You have you have Chase Claypool's in the building. You have kJ Hamler in the building. You have Andy Isabella in the building. You now have Marcuzveldez Scantling in the building. Mac Hollins is in the building, Quintes Cephas is in the building.
Speaker 4: What a motley crew. They just need to tell those guys the pop.
Speaker 3: It just reminds me of like the last team MBS was on a bunch of guys in the wide receiver room.
Speaker 1: Yeah, a little better a little bit. Shakir is a nice player, Damuel's a nice player. They're a little similar though, But.
Speaker 4: They're leaning on a rookie to do a lot quickly too.
Speaker 1: You're gonna lean on Dalton Cancada. I think they're hoping at least yeh.
Speaker 2: Finally, in the news, I don't know if you saw this, but Tom Brady has come out and said he regrets the Netflix roast mark that you attended last weekend.
Speaker 4: He said that he on.
Speaker 2: Some level misread it and he didn't realize the effect. Let's see, he was on the Pivot podcast and he was upset about how it impacted his children, the people he cares about most in the world. So he has regrets, and I should I should throw out there that I was texting with a friend of the podcast, Nicki Glazer, who was the breakout star of the roast, and we were just commiserating about this. Nikki, who was on the show super Bowl week, had no connection to the sporting world and then shows up at this roast and her career goes through the stratosphere and becomes linked to Tom Brady kind of forever as a result.
Speaker 4: Can someone say sneaky back door flashpoint focus?
Speaker 1: Yes, I.
Speaker 4: Think so. She I mean, I mean.
Speaker 3: She noted to us at the Super Bowl and she said this since when people asked about you know, why she did the Roads, but that she had no connection football at all and was it was it was Taylor Swift that got her involved. And you know, she she wrote a lot of the her own stuff. She she went through a lot of her material on Stern that she didn't use. Got a little bit of help too. But like I think I texted you guys during the show, this was the runaway hit from the night. There was a lot of good stuff, but she was the runaway hit.
Speaker 2: But as for Tom Brady, like I mean, yeah, you see the reaction and you didn't want to do it, but you knew what was gonna come up.
Speaker 4: I would imagine topically during that during a rose.
Speaker 1: I listened to it, and I don't think he totally had like wrapped his head around it for whatever reason, just that like he said, it affected his kids, and I guess he just like for some reason didn't connect the dots of like, oh, yeah, they're going to bury me related to my divorce and that that's gonna hurt my kids, he said. He said, the rest of it was fine. Everything was about me was fine. It was a fun night, Like I love comedy all this stuff. Like, I don't think he even fully said that I regret doing it, but he he does regret that part of it.
Speaker 4: Oh, I think he regrets doing it. Gregory, Yeah, I guess you're right.
Speaker 1: I wouldn't he said, he I wouldn't do that again because of the kids, and yeah, shout out. You know Nicky, you know, the the AFC couldn't stop Tom Brady, but Nicki Glazer did, you know?
Speaker 2: And like, Nicky and I go way back, and we would joke about how like I was like a sports guy and she didn't know anything about sports and didn't care about sports. And then I said, isn't it ironic that like being involved with this sports event like changed your career forever and sent you into the stratosphere. She kind of had a monoculture moment out of it, which is just so crazy. But you know, Tom, I don't know. Listen, Tom lost thirty million on Crypto. Tom has made some some strange decisions in his life, and this is another one. He's gonna fascinating guy to track. Now He's going to go into the Fox booth. Is that going to be a similarly similarly disastrous decision?
Speaker 4: We shall see a.
Speaker 1: Little bit of a like a wandering soul.
Speaker 4: I think, so, I think there's something going on there.
Speaker 1: But I do want to say, as much as you know, I love everything I've worked on, when it comes to the flashpoint focus, I do want to say, like, as executive producers, I would have thought if that was a flashpoint focus now, we probably should have. We should have probably mentioned, as you're talking about Mark and I, yeah, I'm talking about you guys that what would you.
Speaker 4: Have done differently? Greg, you tell us.
Speaker 2: I mean would usually it's not the gaffer's role to be sharing this, but go ahead.
Speaker 1: I would have maybe mentioned or said the word flashpoint focus at some point in the Nikki Glazer conversation.
Speaker 2: No, I think Mark, I think I called it a uh sneaky back door flashpoint focus, which I think it was, And they have industry wise, they have backdoor pilots things like that where it doesn't seem like it in the moment, but you look back and like, oh okay, and I see they had something cooking.
Speaker 4: The whole time. I knew what you were saying.
Speaker 1: I think up a sneaky backdoor flashpoint focused song with Las said, all right, good show.
Speaker 4: Get up. We'll be back on Monday.
Speaker 2: Oh before we say goodbye, Mark, Uh, do you want to share with the audience why you weren't here on Monday's episode?
Speaker 3: I want to compliment uh some of our listeners because someone sent me a link to there he goes to flute. People were like, oh, what's the flute about? Because we had talked about floutests and flutes during the you know, big Funk song. But someone connected the dots that I went to a Los Angeles Renaissance fair.
Speaker 1: Wait, how did someone who are the who is setting up?
Speaker 3: Because I think these are like the the It was a thread of people trying to guess and I was like stunned that someone pieced it together.
Speaker 4: Uh that in the LA region that they start? What the I don't know. It wasn't It wasn't like.
Speaker 1: This. This was on the Reddit board.
Speaker 4: Yeah, like it was not.
Speaker 3: It was just someone pieced together and someone else like, Wow, that's a really interesting like theory or something. I was like, how did how did they possibly know that? But I went with some friends. I had never been to one in my life. I had no idea what it would be like. It was about ninety six degrees out with a burning sun. I just was happy to get out of there without a sunburn. But it was a it was an experience, and I made sure that no photos leaked because I did. I was given a slight costume slash outfit to wear. It never arrived, it was It was sent to my building, but then was either stolen or the package was put somewhere in correct, so I had to buy something else on Hollywood Boulevard on the fly.
Speaker 4: And it was an absurdist looking thing that I'll have to share with the audience.
Speaker 3: I really don't even know if I have a photo, because like I said, it was ninety like eight degrees and this was like a furry like tunic that was so hot that I was dying.
Speaker 4: So it wasn't on me for long. But I will if I can find it. If I can find a photo, I will, out of honor, I will provide you.
Speaker 2: Wearing I like to picture furry tunic is probably what I would have guessed. A veil of flowers and then like pantaloons and then kind of like moccasins that like kind of curled up almost like a like a like an elves.
Speaker 1: No I imagine like the puffy pirate shirt from Seinfeld, that sort of thing.
Speaker 3: It wasn't that furry, But like I made, I with a good attitude. I decided to not be like the only one not in our group dressed up.
Speaker 4: But there was there was a there was a limit to it to it, that is for sure. You know, I can't believe I'm telling you this. I could have said that the incredible story.
Speaker 1: No, I like this is the new Mark. He's yeah, you're on a journey Mark and you're.
Speaker 4: Going through like new adventures.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 2: And you know, as as someone who is now you know, married for a long time.
Speaker 4: I just celebrated my twelfth anniversary.
Speaker 2: You know, the idea of not having to do things I don't want to do is something that I really one of the best, very best things about weddings. But you're not You're not there right now with your life. So but I'm I'm I'm hoping you made the most of an event.
Speaker 4: I would say this, it was definitely for adults. I would put it that way.
Speaker 3: It was not like there were some kids running around, but it was for adults in many ways, and I found that angle of it to be intriguing.
Speaker 1: I also believe that Mark is a man who does what he wants, and that you might not want to be dressing up in a furry tunic.
Speaker 4: Dan.
Speaker 1: I know I'm not, but I think Mark Mark probably enjoyed it. If he did it, he wanted to on some level.
Speaker 4: I was like, I'm just gonna apply thank you. I was like I'm going to do.
Speaker 1: It, and so naive.
Speaker 4: Greg. No, it was enjoyable, had a good time.
Speaker 2: Maybe the Renaissance Fair is something because I could see Mark, you.
Speaker 4: Know, Mark pre spirit and he float around.
Speaker 2: I could like, I get picture Mark. Oh yeah, I'll float around like the the fair grounds for a few hours, like on a Sunday.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 2: You know some of these events, it's like, Wow, Mark went to this, Mark went to the roast Tomorrow, Mark's going here, Mark's going there.
Speaker 4: It's like the roast was connected to our career on some level.
Speaker 1: I think roast was very normal. I'm not gonna a lot of people were at the roast.
Speaker 4: O Greg, all right? Anything else? Anything else? No? All right? In that case, we'll be back on Monday. What we're going to talk about? What do we talk about after the schedule.
Speaker 2: I'm sure there's some OTAs and you never know, so make sure you check out the show. We'll certainly find something fun to chatter about with the league. Thank you for checking this show out. Until next time, beat the Call.