Speaker 1: Brett New second Date update.
Speaker 2: It's Brooke and Jeffrey in the morning, and you know it's gonna be wild when someone is trying online dating for their first time and they choose plenty of fish. Yeah yeah, I mean that is already setting us up for quite the story. Yeah, so you definitely want to stick around for this one, and we love to read your comments. Thank you always, and thank you to everyone too. The text into the show, yeah, number seven, eight, five, nine to two. It's always funny to see because, like it used to be that the text would only come in when we were on the radio, and now we get them all day, all night, all weekend.
Speaker 3: Yeah, sometimes I feel really creepy. I'll see a text from like two days before at nine pm and I reply to it. So this person's probably like, why is she messaging me now?
Speaker 1: But I want to reply to you. But we love the comment sections two and YouTube and Spotify. What do you see, Alexis?
Speaker 3: Yeah, Francis Harrison said. In the years I've been an avid listener, I've introduced this podcast to every team I've worked on. Yeh and HR violations.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Fringe, our Rooit, you're just waiting so yeah, we'll see how much HR likes this second dat day.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, it starts right now. Even don't play this on out loud.
Speaker 4: The.
Speaker 5: Second date up day. Imagine getting back on the dating apps after being married for years.
Speaker 1: That would be weird.
Speaker 5: Now what does that look like?
Speaker 1: Yeah, my parents?
Speaker 5: In other words, horror. It's worse than the movie Saw five. And I'm not even talking about the writing in that.
Speaker 6: Oh my god, I forgot. There's like ten of those.
Speaker 5: Yeah, scripts not great, And you're just jumping into a scary new world that maybe you've never even really experienced before. And we've got a woman who recently canon balls back into the dating pool and needs a little help from us today. Her name is Vanessa, So Vanessa, welcome to the show.
Speaker 7: Thanks guys, thanks for having me on.
Speaker 1: It sounds like your experience is more of a belly flop than a cannonball.
Speaker 5: We don't know everything about your date yet. Why don't we start from the beginning and tell us who's this person that you met recently online?
Speaker 7: Well, I met a guy on Plenty of Fish and I am recently divorced. I've been married for years. I got married very young.
Speaker 1: So had you ever done dating apps prior to this.
Speaker 7: Never I've been married for a long time and so I'm kind of getting out there again. And it's terrifying, it really is. You see these horrible stories on the news and you think and oh my god, this person is serial killer? Is it's too good to be true?
Speaker 6: What kind of dating app are you on?
Speaker 4: Though?
Speaker 6: Are you swiping? Or are you like on one of those real sophisticated ones where you fill out a bio?
Speaker 1: She said plenty of Fish, So I don't know about sophisticated. Yeah, my mad.
Speaker 7: My friends were like, plenty of Fish is good, and I'm like, okay.
Speaker 5: So oh yeah, I can't believe you actually trust those people. But that's interesting. So you met a guy what's his name?
Speaker 7: His name is Keith?
Speaker 2: Okay, first guy you've matched with and got out with.
Speaker 7: Yes, yes, oh wow, kind of wow.
Speaker 5: It's a big, big move. So what attracted you to Keith?
Speaker 7: I got a good vibe from him, and you know, he likes dogs. He's kind of in a similar situation where he said he's getting back out there and we talked a little bit online, so I kind of felt good about him.
Speaker 2: Okay, okay, So how long did it take I mean I'm assuming you guys met up in real life.
Speaker 7: Right, Yeah. Yeah, So he was really sweet. He was like, where do you want to go? And I'm like, oh, that's nice, and so I suggested the botanical gardens.
Speaker 1: Oh oh yeah.
Speaker 6: It's funny you said that. I was like ooh. And then I'm like, I'm the only guy that's Probably.
Speaker 2: Nothing says sexy like some orchids.
Speaker 5: Things get hot by the reflection pool.
Speaker 1: Sure, it is kind of humid in those places.
Speaker 7: You didn't have a lot of plants, and his like photos and I was just kind of like, well, maybe he knows about plants, so I thought maybe he would like it too.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 5: No, definitely spice up the conversation with some exciting plant talk. So how did that go?
Speaker 6: Like a museum, I.
Speaker 1: Mean, I feel like walking is less awkward than sitting.
Speaker 6: At a bar.
Speaker 7: You know, there's a lot of other people around, and you got plants.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, because you're worried about the serial killer angle of it all exactly.
Speaker 6: Yeah, Like we're going to a butterfly farm or something.
Speaker 5: This is your first date that you've been on since you were married. Yeah, you must have been nervous. How did it go.
Speaker 7: Well. I mean I was pleasantly surprised he was dressed a bit more casually than I was. But we we strolled around and we discussed flowers, and I gave him some facts about orchids, even little things that I've learned over the years, you know, just conversation starters, hopefully.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 1: Do you think that you were yourself on the date?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 7: I do. I was surprisingly relaxed. I mean I was like super nervous at first, but I calmed down as soon as he like, you know, I just got a good vibe from him, and you're.
Speaker 6: In like a pleasant environment that you're comfortable with.
Speaker 5: Just right, That's awesome.
Speaker 7: Didn't just talk about orchids, well, no, I mean there was lots of other plants. We talked about a lot of that, and I mean there was this one really embarrassing moment. He knocked over a decorative like water can thing. Oh it broke, and I was like in Employees were like, oh, I was like, oh my gosh. So I just made a joke that he was like dangerous to plants, and I'm like hoping he didn't get offended.
Speaker 1: I don't know, I'm sure, I'm sure.
Speaker 2: So that's the one thing you found that went wrong with your date is that you may have offended him with your plant joke.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I'm scared that I offended him, but he seemed okay. We sat down and we got tea from the little stand and the date ended really, really well, I thought. I mean, he walked me to my car, gave me a hug. I told him, I had a great time.
Speaker 1: This is really wholesome.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it is a little too wholesome for the show.
Speaker 3: I know.
Speaker 7: I'm a little worried. I'm like, maybe this is too good to be true, but I mean, we had a nice time, and I told him, I said, look, I would love to see you again and just kind of do something similar or maybe go out to eat or something like that. But I haven't heard from him, and I'm just kind of upset right now.
Speaker 6: May have been out of the dating game for a while, but you have caught up so quickly. You're immediately on the apps and when things go wrong, you come right to us. That's what everybody does, and it's dating nowadays.
Speaker 5: Good job, Thank you.
Speaker 7: I'm just like I said, I'm learning to get back out there, and I mean it works a scenario if if I did screw up, I did do something wrong because I'm so new to the dating you know game again that maybe, you know, if I made a mistake, I can learn from it. It could be a learning moment. I can move on and improve it.
Speaker 1: That's a good attitude. That's a good positive attitude.
Speaker 5: And even if it doesn't work out with Keith, just like your app says, there are plenty of fish out there for you to hook up with and discuss orchids with.
Speaker 4: Right, right, Okay.
Speaker 5: So how long has it been since your botanical garden date happened.
Speaker 7: It's been like two weeks.
Speaker 5: Oh, okay, that's a long time in the modern dating world or.
Speaker 3: Of the experience, you need to get ghosted a lot. Yes, yes, yeah, exactly.
Speaker 5: Well, Keith's got some splaining to do, and we're gonna get him on the line for answers in your second date update. Right after this second date update if you're just joining us for the second date, We've been talking to Vanessa, who, after many years of marriage, recently hopped back into the dating world. Yeah, even though she was nervous, she went full out. Ye did all the stereotypical hot date things. Botanical gardens, cups of herbal tea, even edgy plant humor.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it was.
Speaker 5: Intense, to say the least. But two weeks later she's getting her very first taste of ghosting. Isn't sure? Why?
Speaker 4: Now?
Speaker 5: Before we call Keith here, I do want to ask you, Vanessa, since you said you were the one who suggested the botanical gardens, you think it's possible that Keith maybe wasn't as into plant dates as you were.
Speaker 1: She thought that he was just because of his profile picks. But maybe he just thought I looked good in that picture.
Speaker 5: Sure, you know, did you pick up a vibe like that at all?
Speaker 7: Yeah? I mean that's a possibility.
Speaker 6: Wait, did you know most guys are, but not everyone's a flower guy.
Speaker 5: Yeah, he could see you as a botanical garden lady, where he's more of a beer garden type of dude. Yeah, maybe we can find a garden somewhere in between to send you on your next date. Let's reach out. We're going to dial his number right now and hopefully he picks up.
Speaker 2: Okay, okay, all right, okay, don't let this ruin the rest of your dating experience.
Speaker 1: One bad egg does not mean they're all rotten.
Speaker 5: Oh I thought you thought you mean us? No will, We're gonna try our best here. I'm calling him right now.
Speaker 1: Hello.
Speaker 5: Hey, we're looking to speak with Keith.
Speaker 4: This is he who's calling.
Speaker 5: Hey man. This is a radio show called Brook and Jeffrey in the Morning.
Speaker 6: Hello.
Speaker 4: Oh, okay, good morning.
Speaker 5: Hi. We're calling because we're doing this segment. It's called a second date update. I don't know if you know about that, but it's where if one of our listeners goes out with somebody and afterwards they're not getting a call back, they can email us to reach out to them and try and figure out if there's a reason for that.
Speaker 7: Oh my god, come on.
Speaker 1: It's kind of fun. I mean, who'd ever think that you'd be called for a reason like this.
Speaker 4: I don't even want to ask who's the person?
Speaker 1: You don't want to ask? Curious?
Speaker 5: I mean, you should see it as a compliment. It's a good thing that they felt so strongly about you they reached out to us for help. But in this case, it's a woman named Vanessa.
Speaker 4: Mmm okay, yeah, that's why I didn't want to add what no.
Speaker 2: Why oh botanical garden Vanessa?
Speaker 7: Yeah?
Speaker 4: Yeah, Oh my god.
Speaker 5: Why did you say? I don't want us to ask.
Speaker 4: Listen, I don't know what she told you, but that woman, she's a freak.
Speaker 1: What talking about the same, But what's the ones you least expect?
Speaker 5: I can't You're not wrong a freak cow.
Speaker 4: I don't want to speak bad on anybody. But first and foremost, we met up woman's at Plenty of Fish, and he was deliberately catfishing me with these these pictures from like ten to fifteen years ago.
Speaker 6: But that's an accident, I understand.
Speaker 3: I always think about that when you get back into dating after that long. How do you have good photos for an hour?
Speaker 2: Because if you were married, there's no way a husband was taking good nuers of you.
Speaker 6: I'm sorry doing bill on the couch?
Speaker 5: Do you know all of this? Keith about Vanessa that it's her first time at least in a long time on the dating app?
Speaker 4: No ever, Well, I mean she said she was married for a good little while, but it was obviously a longer while than I thought.
Speaker 2: What wait, are you saying that she was a lot older than you expected?
Speaker 4: The pictures made me think we were around the same age. But honestly, it's that woman could be my mother at this point, Oh.
Speaker 6: Black and white, because it's normally a sign.
Speaker 5: Okay, And what part of that turns you off?
Speaker 4: Oh my gosh, I don't even know you guys.
Speaker 1: He's joking.
Speaker 2: I mean, it doesn't ever feel good when you expect one thing and you get something else when you started dating, right, So, right at the beginning, you were turned off.
Speaker 4: I was shocked. But I'm just like, listen, I'm already out here. Might as well just go through with it, okay.
Speaker 5: And we ended up going to this botanical garden, right we heard that that was actually her idea. But I'm more curious about why you said she's a freak. Well how did that come up?
Speaker 1: I thought he just meant because of the pictures, But is that what you meant?
Speaker 6: Could be multiple meetings here?
Speaker 4: No, we're walking through the garden and she's just getting aggressive, like she's asking me what kind of pictures do I want from her? And she keeps going on about it, and I'm like, it's okay, I don't need anything.
Speaker 6: What Oh she wanted a hot picture?
Speaker 5: Oh? But she's asking what ones that she can send.
Speaker 4: To you apparently, but oh, I don't know if there's gonna be fifteen years old too, or what.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's nice of her to ask what you like.
Speaker 1: It does take worse.
Speaker 5: Yeah, she's like, do you want one side or do you want both of them?
Speaker 2: It's an awkward it's an awkward assumption that anyone wants them period. I mean, you're at the botanical gardens in the daytime, totally sober.
Speaker 4: Yeah, exactly. And I told her I don't need any of that, and she made this weird comment. She was like, oh, you want the real thing.
Speaker 1: Oh oh wow, Okay. She was married for a long time. Maybe she's like living.
Speaker 6: Out what she didn't get to do before.
Speaker 1: Or maybe she thinks that this is how did works now, you know, just.
Speaker 5: Trying it out.
Speaker 4: It's one thing to be trying it out. But she literally suggested. They had this little plant shop in the garden, and she suggested we go behind it and do things.
Speaker 5: Whoa Vanessa dude.
Speaker 6: I would have been mortified.
Speaker 5: I did not get that vibe from her when we were talking to her before.
Speaker 1: How did you even respond?
Speaker 4: I had no time to respond. She was like, there's nobody in the women's restroom.
Speaker 5: And that was all a turn off to you.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, it was that and then having to sit down and drink tea casually after that, Oh oh.
Speaker 6: Wow, after you, like Loki rejected her.
Speaker 1: Make awkward eye contact the entire time.
Speaker 5: Okay, Well, the goodness is you won't have to worry about awkward eye contact in this situation because she is on the line so you can't see her, but she does want to talk to you.
Speaker 4: Oh wow, Okay, she literally heard all of that.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I think she needed to think. So you're there.
Speaker 7: Yeah, yeah, I'm here. I mean like that. That's just what men want, right, and that's just how I am. I'm very active and like you know, I have a very high drive.
Speaker 5: Oh wow, okay, I.
Speaker 7: Didn't know I was dating a snowflake me.
Speaker 1: Whoa?
Speaker 7: If you're not going to be, you know, a man, then I'm gonna have this initiative.
Speaker 5: She's calling you out, dude, What do you have to say to that?
Speaker 4: WHOA? Do you think taking initiative is going behind a plant shop? Does you have to like that?
Speaker 7: That's too much?
Speaker 5: It was you ain't nobody was there.
Speaker 4: It's the first day you.
Speaker 7: Don't Oh my god, many days man, these days?
Speaker 3: Who I don't if it was a Netflix unchild you wouldn't be shocked. It's the gu really threw it off.
Speaker 4: I mean, put yourself in my shoes for a second. After the date, she starts sending me weird messages to come over. She's telling me that she has these adult movies on Blu Ray.
Speaker 2: I'm still put in an adult movie, scratched.
Speaker 1: Let me fix this.
Speaker 7: Yeah you have those, well those were my husbands I got them in the divorce.
Speaker 5: Navigate. It's nice of you to offer to share that with your.
Speaker 2: Date, but your date isn't responding to any of your text messages, and you keep going, well.
Speaker 7: He never said no, Yeah, but he didn't say yes.
Speaker 5: You know, well, this is a good chance for him to say yes, because we're going to offer to send you two out on another date. And Keith, if you're if you're open to trying this and giving Vanessa another chance, will pay for it.
Speaker 1: I mean, you know what you're gonna get this time around.
Speaker 5: She says herself that she's very forward, she's open. She's just putting herself out there only because she felt such a good connection with you. I'm assuming so.
Speaker 1: Sounded like such a sweet, innocent date. I still can't get over it was it was I was never looking at candle guard. She didn't want it to be sweetened? Is it?
Speaker 5: Well, maybe the next one can be a little bit better because we'll pay for it. Keith, if you say yes to another date with her, absolutely not.
Speaker 7: Here's just such a whim.
Speaker 2: I mean, really, I think that you like going forward in your dating life, Vanessa, maybe should be a little more upfront about what you're looking.
Speaker 5: Full up in frontal is what people are looking for.
Speaker 1: I mean, it sounds like you're game to do that, anyone.
Speaker 7: So my grandkids told me about tender.
Speaker 5: Rookie Jeffrey in the morning. I need to hear from our listeners text in at seventy eight five nine two if you've ever successfully fooled around in a botanical garden. The more I say it, the hotter it sounds.
Speaker 6: Anyone ever, I.
Speaker 2: Mean, I don't think you'd get caught because nobody would suspect it. Yeah, it's not like they're knocking on the door of the bathroom. If you've been in there for too long.
Speaker 6: People kissing the handle garden, I'd be like, oh, their first kiss ever?
Speaker 1: Yea, their grandparents, especially her? Yeah, how she comes off?
Speaker 3: Yeah right, look at her We can even really.
Speaker 1: Go back to the fact that she basically catfished him.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, she doesn't know what fishing.
Speaker 1: She was a lot more seasoned than we gave her credit for.
Speaker 5: It's true. But my guess is that Brooke is thinking the exact same thing that I am. Where have all the loose men gone?
Speaker 6: Where did they go?
Speaker 5: They used to be roaming, all the guys keeping it zipped up?
Speaker 1: Nowadays, why do you men have self respect?
Speaker 5: It's just a different day and age. Now people are hesitant to get freaky behind plant shops in broad daylight.
Speaker 1: Yeah wow, I never thought would be here, Jeff. Yeah.
Speaker 5: Anyway, listening to us on the podcast right now. Make sure you hit that subscribe button. And if you need help in your dating life, you can always email the show. We'll call that person who's not calling you back.