Speaker 1: Native lampod is a production of iHeartRadio in partnership with Reason Choice Media.
Speaker 2: Welcome Welcome, Welcome, Welcome, Welcome, Welcome, Nolan Well's coverage through media literacy lens and the importance of verification. After almost a month, there are still a lot of unanswered questions. So it's important that we keep talking about this story. But it's also important how it's talked about. So watch this clip from TMZ, which I think also highlights how fragmented information gathering has become and why the media landscape is shifting so quickly, which I'll explain.
Speaker 3: If it's all true that he stayed behind on the island, was drinking, people saw him.
Speaker 2: Now listen to how YouTuber Trent out Loud pushes back on that, we.
Speaker 3: Know when that picture was taken, we can align the video with the distress call, and he wasn't on that boat.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but Harvey, how do you know?
Speaker 2: So the questions that Trent raises are really important, at the very least, just to try to verify the unfounded claims that the outlet was making amid an ongoing investigation that has the potential to influence a jury pool, a grand jury pool. This exchange highlights how fragmented information gathering has become. In mind you, this is TMZ making this claim, which traditionally with celebrity stories has become the authority in many ways, but not on a law enforcement investigation. And you have Trend out Loud acting almost as a de facto journalist in this case, pushing back for the audience, and it shows how the media landscape is shifting so rapidly. Part of it is because we used to trust the outlets that have these huge platforms and believed that they did their due diligence before passing along information. But now we've seen multiple times, and in this case of Nolan Well's coverage specifically, we've seen in real time the bias and what seems to be a lack of fact checking and real reporting. And that's why Trent asking these questions, whether he got definitive answers or not makes a difference.
Speaker 5: Here.
Speaker 4: He's literally using media.
Speaker 2: Literacy to ask about the credibility, about the validity of those claims in real time, and that allows anyone watching to realize, hey, wait, that thing that Harvey states as a fact actually isn't one after all. And the more you realize how media can be used for manipulation, the better you can consume information.
Speaker 4: I'm Jenny Norman.
Speaker 2: I used to do the news. Now I just report the facts and uncomfortable truths.
Speaker 4: Welcome home, y'all. This is our mini pod. We are thrilled to be joined today by a brilliant journalist formerly with ABC, and boy do they miss her now because she is kicking things off right and hot on the internet, holding big media accountable for the narratives that they are sharing overall, but particularly right now in the Nolan Wells case. I've seen that video and we are thrilled to welcome Jane Norman on Native Lampid. Welcome home, y'all. Hey, thank you guys for having me. Thank you.
Speaker 1: I am a fan, first time yeah for a long time listener, first time caller. So I am I'm glad to be in your presence, sure for sure.
Speaker 4: Yeah, thanks for having this. So let's talk about what you're like seeing in this Nolan Wells case, the Harvey Leven clip that you kind of go through and say, here are all of the challenges. Talk about why it's so problematic to have mainstream media talking about the case and the ways in which they.
Speaker 5: Are, well, it's because they're talking about it before there has been a full investigation, and because they were coming to the conversation as if they knew what happened. That's the problem that journalists came to this story thinking that they already knew what happened, They knew it beginning to end, and weren't there as journalists. Weren't there looking to find information to verify information that they were getting, and that's what continues to happen on these big platforms.
Speaker 4: So in that particular case of.
Speaker 5: What Harvey was sharing pointing to video that he got from former officer Tatum, Thankfully, in that case we had trend out Loud, this YouTuber who was basically acting as a journalist and pushing back on those claims because the other people that Harvey was talking to weren't doing that.
Speaker 4: And that's why.
Speaker 5: Typically Angela, what was happening in that clip with Harvey at first before Trent came on, That's what should happen in a newsroom, not what should happen on a platform that is going out to lots of people. You can be talking about the information that you're getting, but before it goes out to all of these people. There should be verification, there should be some vetting of this information, and that doesn't seem to be what happened. But we were able to have Trent there pushing back to say, well, Harvey, how do we know when this video came? When when did Officer Tatum provide you the metadata to be able to make these claims so substantially on this platform, And then to have Harvey at the end say well, you know, anything's possible, So then you didn't know, so then why were you saying it as.
Speaker 4: If you did. That's the problem with so many of these platforms. Why do you think that keeps happening? Because it's not just happening with Harvey, it's happening quite a bit. And if I think we'd be remiss if we didn't acknowledge in the case of the missing black child, it's happening over and over again. Why do you think that is? Jenny?
Speaker 5: I would start with the question, Angela, why doesn't it happen with a missing white woman?
Speaker 4: Right?
Speaker 5: Because we see when it happens, and we know when it doesn't happen.
Speaker 4: We know the stories.
Speaker 5: That the media will go to, and they've got open ears, and we know who they are offering the suspicion to and who they are offering the benefit of the doubt to. And in this case, it's flipped the way that it normally would be for a missing white woman. And why is that?
Speaker 1: We know?
Speaker 6: What?
Speaker 1: How do I educate my mama and her chat group on how to consume what to consume because they are more worried and praying about this boy and his family. But I've be damned every single day they don't get some news off Facebook or somewhere else. I mean, how do we educate people about how to consume news? I mean we always talk about creators and warn them about what to put out, but what should we consume at all and just have our third eye? I mean, how do we do that?
Speaker 2: Well?
Speaker 5: First off, we are so grateful for all of the praying aunties, grandma's and mama's out there, But yeah, when it comes to where we're getting our news, and this is the thing, because we're looking around and looking at the traditional news outlets that we have thought were the places to get the verified information and we're realizing, hey, you're not doing your job the way that you once were or the way that we thought you once were. So where do we go? That's sort of what we're still figuring it out. We have to find the pockets. We have to find the areas where information is being vetted, where people are using their critical thinking skills, where people are pushing back and asking the questions and being skeptical. That's what we need a little bit more of. We need more skepticism. When you hear something to think, one, does that sound right? And if it doesn't, to go look more, to check where you are getting your information from. And yes, it's hard to say where you're getting it from, but we've still got these outlets out there, and you can still get the information from traditional news outlets. But then you have to have enough wherewithal in your mind to realize what's not being told here, what perspective are they sharing it from, what voices are they including, who are they not including why might they not be including those voices, and be able to ask those questions to understand what information you're getting and what information you're not getting.
Speaker 4: I have a question around Nancy Grace being on the case. I wonder if what you feel about this. This is a woman who's deeply passionate about crime related cases. Lost her fiance at a young age. But since then has I mean she'd been on the case for me Janey since oj Okay, So this is very serious. But also Nancy's out there put some stuff out that hasn't in fact check. So what do we tell To Bacari's point, his momb I heard Chad group about this.
Speaker 5: I think that listen, with this particular case, it has to be trust but verify.
Speaker 6: If you have your source that you have trusted for years, for decades, Okay, trust but verify. And at this point, unfortunately we're still waiting. It's gonna have to be trust but verify with every piece of information we get because it's coming through the hands and through channels that we really can't trust.
Speaker 1: And it's coming from Mississippi.
Speaker 5: That's exactly it.
Speaker 4: That's what I mean.
Speaker 5: It's coming whether it's coming from law enforcement or from other officials. We can only trust and verify so much. There is only limited information. And that's why we need these praying aunties and Grandma's for this family, because our hearts go out to them because they should be getting more answers than they are right now.
Speaker 4: Yeah. Absolutely, Well, Jane, we are so grateful that you could join us today. Briefly, we got to have you back. We had this our other main show go long, and of course we know you have several conflicts. So we're going to welcome you back very very very soon to do more if you have time.
Speaker 1: Welcome home.
Speaker 4: Thank y'all so much. I appreciate it. Thanks, welcome home. So we're really grateful for Janey joining us today. You know what else is moving. I love Jenna Bakari. That I think is fascinating. So allegedly there was a friend of the family of Nolan Wells that joined who joined uh Don Lemon's show the other day talking about what they're really worried about is folks coming into Mississippi and saying they're racist and all that. Those clips have been pulled down, but this is what is still up. Let's go ahead and roll that clip.
Speaker 3: When you step into the middle of one of the biggest stories in America, invoke a grieving family's name and speak as though you're a care their trust the public doesn't. The public, I think deserves to know whether the family actually agrees. I think that is a fair assessment, and in this case, they don't that alone, I think would have made yesterday's interview extremely memorable. And then we started talking about race, and you know how that is, Once you start talking about race, it becomes a whole another show. So we started talking about race, and then Emmanuel told me that people outside Mississippi need to stop bringing up Mississippi's racial history. He argued that Hollywood has convinced the rest of America that the South is frozen in the past. That was his I'm paraphrasing here. He said the interracial marriages, mixed families, black and white people living together as evidence that racism no longer defines where he lives. And then he said something that really kind of got to me, right, He said, a quiet racist isn't really a problem as long as that racist keeps it to himself. He said, who cares? Okay, I care?
Speaker 4: Where do they find this man at? The question is the older, older black man.
Speaker 1: Was his friend?
Speaker 4: No? No, no, it was a friend of the allegedly a friend of the family. So yeah, I think that what is troubling me are you know it feels like, you know, there's always like cloud chasing in these cases. B you see it more than I do given your line of work. But what's what's crazy to me is you're you're creating platforms for yourselves on the back of this black but who were still trying to understand how he left us. And I just think there has to be something in you that says, you know what, now is not the time. We don't know if race played a role in this or not why because it's an open perhaps murder investigation, but certainly in a homicide investigation like we owe this family answers, the city, the county, the state, this country owes this family answers. We should not be out here trying to figure out how to create something, some narrative. We just have to be careful.
Speaker 1: Be more than careful. But I do, I do appreciate trusted messengers like Don Lemon, and I think the anguish that you see on your face is indicative of all of us, because we like, who is this nigga? Right? And we should not be asking questions like that. We should be instead he I mean praying for that family, praying for that community, because we don't know. I mean, at the end of the day, he could look, you know, have any black bodies in rivers in Mississippi.
Speaker 4: I'm trying. And then and the fact that we don't even have to go back to life instruction or lynching era. There are people who the corner, the current corner has continually ruled no foul play, cause of death unknown, etcetera, etcetera. But lo and behold here, you know we I don't know this man is saying, we don't have to look at Mississippi's racist past. You're right, we can look at Mississippi's racist present.
Speaker 1: Let's just stay focused on the race. But but past is prolog in. Mississippi deser, Mississippi deserves this moment.
Speaker 4: But I'm saying, if you don't want to look at the past, we can look at right now. And it's still problematic. It's still problematic. So yeah, I just think that it's important for us to continue to uplift this story. If there are others that come up that we don't know about, please put bring them to our attention. It's just it's it's mission critical. And we also I just want to remind our black children, y'all, please have a diverse friend group and folks who ain't bullying you or putting you in bad situations. Folks who have you back? You know, I don't know what happened in this case, but I'm saying overall, I want you to be around positive influences. You'll want nobody have you out here taking drugs, is selling drugs. I don't want you to have nobody out here having you drink too early, don't want you to get tatted up too early, and damn sure, don't want you falling in the water. Now, how you gonna talk to me about typing in here? You go?
Speaker 1: I was just pulling something up. But also parents, parents know who your fan group, who your son's friend group is, and know who their parents are.
Speaker 4: Oh my god, be that was not that was?
Speaker 1: But yeah, you can edit that.
Speaker 4: No you can't because for whatever reason you messed it got hacked by the Microsoft people, the fake Microsoft people rather yes, prayers to the family. Thank you for your courage in this really, really difficult time. You have made it your mission to be out in the streets conferences, letting people know what happened to your son and trying to prevent that from happening to other people's children. So thank you, Kari. Seriously. Anyway, Welcome home, y'all.
Speaker 1: Welcome homee tak Native Lampard is a production of iHeart Radio and partnership with reisent Choice Media. For more podcasts from iHeart Radio, visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple podcast, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows.