Speaker 1: Smell Us.
Speaker 2: Now, ladies, welcome to Meet Eater Trivia Meater Podcast. Welcome to Meet Eater Radio live at eleven am Mountain Time on September nineteenth, and we're live from Meet Eater HQ and Bozeman, Montana. I'm your host, Spencer Newhart, joined today by Jannis Putellus and Randall Williams. On today's show, we're calling Chester Floyd for an update on his archery hunt in Montana. Then we'll review the nineteen ninety six documentary project Grizzly for the Meat Eater Movie Club, followed by one minute fishing with Pat Dirkin in Idaho. Then we'll do some show and tell with items we brought into the studio, and finally we'll interview chef Yevang about Monk Cooking and his newest restaurant. But first we have Yanni Putellis over here, who's googling whether or not he looks like jeredy West.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I'm looking at images of him, and he lived a long time, so that it spans, you know, a whole lifetime, and I'm not seeing it.
Speaker 1: But I don't know what.
Speaker 2: Me and Randall agreed a little bit, A little bit.
Speaker 5: I think you look like the actor who portrayed Jerry West in the hbo OH series about the Showtime Lakers.
Speaker 2: Now, Yanni just got home from an elk? Contian, Did you kill an elk?
Speaker 4: Did not kill an elk?
Speaker 2: How close did you get to killing an elk?
Speaker 4: Seventy eighty yards?
Speaker 2: And is that close in your book?
Speaker 4: Not really for a moment. I had, like there was a very high moment there when he was bugling. I was approaching him with my camera guy. I was trying to actually get the wind right, so I was kind of going around high and I had to go across a super loud screen. You know, scree sometimes can be dense and the other time it's very volcanic and kind of hairy, and that stuff is just like, you know, sold out. But the wind was howling. We got around him, but we bumped a cow just as we got around him, and I don't know if he was with the cow or not. Again, the wind's howling, so when they bugle, you can't tell if they're one hundred yards away two hundred yards away. Anyways, I pop over this little rise and I see him. He's got his nose to the ground like a bird.
Speaker 5: Dog. You know, he's a little big look.
Speaker 4: Just a regular five point not big, probably a two year old. And uh, we had just enough cover that we kind of like faded back just a little bit, and it was these smaller pines and there was a little valley between the two of us, and I just gave him one cow call, and man, as soon as he heard it, he just lifted his head, looked right at me, and I'm like, oh, what I'm telling Tyler, get ready, it's on. And he put his head back down on that centrail and then just kept going on wherever that cow went. We chased him down the bugle a few more times, but never caught up to him again.
Speaker 2: Now this was the hunt with doctor Seth Walkers, that's who had donkeys. How did that go? Hunting with donkeys in the back country?
Speaker 4: It was great? They were very uh is amiable the right word?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 4: Yeah, just like pretty easy to take care of, packed well, and like you'd just be hanging out at camp at lunch and all of a sudden a donkey would just walk up and just stand there as if they wanted to just hang out and join the conversation.
Speaker 1: Huh.
Speaker 4: We did have one donkey issue where while we were gone, one of the donkeys was didn't want to be inside the electric fence, so we just let it free roam. But because it heard animals, it wouldn't leave the ones that were inside the electric fence. It tripped, walked on. Don't really know what happened, but I came back to my teepee and it had a third door in it, like a four foot rip. Yeah. That was the day before the big weather came, and luckily I had a tarp so we were able to you know, do a little tent city action and we survived it. But yeah, Seth did get a shot. He was just still. It was early season, right, so the bugling was half assed. We saw half the elk we saw. We're just bachelor group bowls that weren't bugling. But he was just still hunting down a ridge and just had a bowl cross right in front of that, you know, low twenties twenty yards and hit a limb that he didn't see. Arrow just blew up.
Speaker 2: Did it make you want to add donkeys to the Jannis Putellis Ranch?
Speaker 4: Oh man, We discussed it a lot, you know, one it's one of those things. It's like any animal you have at your house, even though they'd work for you you had, you have to have them because you enjoy them. It's like our chickens. We don't eat cheap eggs by any you know. You I eat my cheap eggs because I just give you a dozen, you know, and I don't think I've given you some. Yes, I should bring them in for you. But same thing with the donkeys. It's like, Okay, there's eleven and a half months or eleven months where they're just going to be around and you're taking care of them. So are you going to enjoy those eleven months so that you can have them to do your once or twice a year elk adventure and pack some meat out?
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 5: I'll be honest. About thirty six hours ago, I was on a half dozen donkey rescue websites.
Speaker 2: M Oh yeah, inspired by what the.
Speaker 5: Review of the donks. Our neighbor used to have some donks. They all went away. But yeah, I'm, you know, always interested in large animals that seem friendly.
Speaker 4: Yeah. Now, I will say, remember how when we interviewed Seth a few weeks ago, and I was I gave you a little bio about him about how he had this little goal of his to kill elk every year public land with his bow, but never hunt the same mountain range three times or same spot slash mountain range three years in a row. And I think he was on like eleven out of thirteen years at the end of last year. Well, two days after we got home, he went out for a walk with his son in the evening and killed another bowl in a new mountain range.
Speaker 5: It's impressive.
Speaker 4: Uh huh, So what a killer. Yeah, he's a mega killer. And you know there's a little bit of that, you know, horseshoes stuck up his butt, you know, which some people just have. They're just magnets.
Speaker 2: I'm not saying it, not twelve out of fourteen years, but it helps.
Speaker 4: Sure, okay, you know, but no, for sure, you know, just straight up killer. And of course, like we haunt our asses off, we averaged. I don't have one of those fancy watches, but everybody else seems to have a watch, So.
Speaker 5: No fence.
Speaker 4: I do for running, but I don't wear it every day. And so the guys were like, yeah, we're averaging fourteen miles a day and about three thousand feet of elevation game, which is solid, you know, for for a week. I was solid a week of work. So we busted our asses off and Seth literally goes for a walk with his son and uh, he's like, yeah, I heard some bugling. We got a little closer, but they're kind of far away. I made two cow calls and then my son's like, hey, there he is. He's coming, and he's like, I had a knock and arrow and then he kept coming and I shot him.
Speaker 2: So he earned that with you and then got it with his son.
Speaker 1: Sure.
Speaker 2: Speaking of el Khunt, our next guest is on one right now.
Speaker 6: I'm going to interrupt you, Spencer. Sorry to completely throw off your float, but I don't want to jump over this Jerry West things. We've got people who in the comments who agree, and I just want to bring up a picture here.
Speaker 4: No, that's Jerry West. That's a young Jerry Wes. I don't.
Speaker 5: I just like to say, shout out Delamere and Hopkins. I see the comment there in the in the chat.
Speaker 2: Appreciate Oh let us know if Yanni indeed looks like Jerry West. Now, speaking of elk Hunts, our next guest is on one right now, joining us on the line is our very own Chester Floyd, who's calling in from an archery, deer and elk hunt in Montana. Chester, welcome to the show and tell us where you're standing right now. You don't have to be too specific.
Speaker 4: You guys are muted.
Speaker 1: What's up?
Speaker 7: Guys? Can you hear us?
Speaker 4: Yeah, we can hear you now. They had their phone muted because we were being so loud. They're afraid that we're going to spook their helth.
Speaker 8: Well, we do have a bull bedded like I don't know, he's probably five hundred yards away from us, So keep it down and good.
Speaker 5: I can't.
Speaker 4: So, Chester, I didn't hear that you were going to be on a elk hunt with Corey. Last I heard you were in eastern Montana hunting mule deer, and now you're magically with Corey uh in somewhere else in Montana hunting elk. How'd that come about?
Speaker 9: Well, Yanni, I was out in eastern Montana and the deer hunting wasn't what I expected it to be. Chili actually came out there with me and we had one stock on a nice like, I don't know, one hundred and fifty inch mule there, but it was super hot and windy out there. We're roasting Wisconsin brats right now, so we're getting smoked a little bit.
Speaker 4: Oh nice, boys, Is that are those wild game? Or is that just straight up pork from Wisconsin?
Speaker 7: Oh? You know it, buddy, I know what Johnsonville.
Speaker 4: Oh oh yeah, that doesn't count as a Wisconsin brought. Uh, Chester, are you hunting with you with a tradbill? Uh? Nope, No, that's all right. I'm just wondering. I don't judge if you're hunting with one or without one. All right, give me a an elk report. You guys got a bowl five hundred yards away. But uh, are they bugling? That's what everybody wants to know. Are they bugling?
Speaker 5: Uh?
Speaker 7: So, we had some weather roll in yesterday.
Speaker 8: It rained probably about an inch and a half, and it kind of shut him up.
Speaker 7: It was pretty consistent before that. I've been out here for a week seeing elk every morning, hearing elk every evening. But again, that rain kind of shut him up a little bit.
Speaker 8: It's made the hunting conditions great because it's nice and cool, the grass is real quiet. But we did get into a bowl this morning fifty yards from the bowl, ten yards from one of his cows, and then another cow winded us. I probably could have shot him at fifty, but that's a long ways. It felt like he was going to come in closer. He was hot on that cow.
Speaker 7: For a second. So now we're roasting weenies and.
Speaker 9: About as close as you can get to shooting the elk without getting them. I feel like Corey even asked me at one point, He's like, you want to shoot that cow? I definitely thought about it, but that bowl was just right behind him.
Speaker 7: So sure, I think we made a call.
Speaker 4: Now that you have Chester joining your Corey, have you taken the position of the caller or how's that working?
Speaker 7: Well?
Speaker 8: Actually, this group that we're on here, I've been chasing I'm pretty sure it's the same group since last Friday, so it's been Today's Day's seven chasing this bowl around. So Chester's been kind enough to kind of let me keep trying to kill this one. But again, if there was an opportunity for a cow or a younger bull, I would let him jump in front of me and do some calling. So we've kind of been going back and forth. We did a little rock paper scissors yesterday to see who would get the shot, but the opportunity never arose.
Speaker 7: So we've been going back and forth depending on the situation.
Speaker 4: Are you guys bugling at him more or cow calling at him?
Speaker 1: Moore?
Speaker 4: Your what's your tactic right now? Tell me what your what your plan is going to be for this upcoming afternoon hunt. How are you going to kill him?
Speaker 8: Well, we got eyes on some elk across this big canyon that we're on here, So what we'll probably do is kind of just work around this base. And he's been responsive to bugles, but then you get in close and he kind of shuts up. He's also been responsive to cow calls, but again, I think I've bumped him three different times, so I'm trying to be really kind of tame, and I don't want to bump him again obviously, so I think it's more let him bugle and we'll try and sneak in. That's what we did this morning. He was making all the noise and we set up and we got lucky.
Speaker 4: We were right in their.
Speaker 7: Path, just obviously not lucky enough.
Speaker 8: So we're gonna keep an eye on this bowl, but we also have eyes on elk across the canyon. So we got we got plan a through g going at the moment.
Speaker 4: Nice, nice, All right, Spencer's got a question for you, Corey.
Speaker 2: How many more days of your haunter left?
Speaker 7: I should probably go home about Saturday? So what's today on October?
Speaker 2: Today is Thursday? If you want to follow along with Corey's hunt, he's doing daily updates on meat Eater's Instagram channel, so you can check out his successes or failures over there. Randa, what are you doing over here?
Speaker 5: I was just checking which date was Saturday? Saturday? Looks like the twentieth. I'm just looking at it here.
Speaker 4: On our hive.
Speaker 5: Next year, Oh that's right, Yeah, silly me, silly me. Why do I have a calendar for next year at hand?
Speaker 2: Oh?
Speaker 5: It's the fed up old shitters calendar that will go on sale next week. I believe.
Speaker 4: Did you have a party making that?
Speaker 1: I did?
Speaker 5: I did. I got to review all the photos of the various outdoor commodes, and then we had a fun afternoon coming up with captions with Steve.
Speaker 2: There was a writer session meeting Randall Brodie in a regular old writer's room, coming up with quips about toilets for a calendar Chester. Any final words before we say goodbye and let you boys eat those Johnsonville brats.
Speaker 9: Yes, actually, I'd like to say one more thing before we burn these brown here. So since we have this, we're lucky enough here at me Eater to have a platform where a bunch of people are listening to our content and whatnot. I figured i'd kind of do a little bit of a ask for help type thing, which I know we don't typically do. But I have a buddy who's who's a go getter in the outdoors and just in life in general. He's soon to be father, and he's been diagnosed with kind.
Speaker 7: Of a rare.
Speaker 9: Disease, and basically what's happening is his muscles in his hands and his arms like forearms and stuff are deteriorate, like just going downhill, and it's getting worse and worse, and you know, he wants to be able to keep doing what he loves to do. When he's tried a bunch of different things like stem cells. He's been to Mayo a few times, and I'm gonna just kind of let you know what this is a little bit, and then I guess, ultimately if anybody has any info or has dealt with this or can point my buddy Devin in the right direction, that'd be wonderful. So it's called Hira Yama disease h I r A y A m a also known as mona mono melic. I can barely pronounce this here Amuo trophy monomelic amuo trophy, and it's a rare neurological disorder characterized by progressive muscle weakness and wasting, typically in one arm or a hand in his case, both arms and hands. Anyways, you know, he's really trying to just continue on doing what he's doing. And he told me some days he's worried if he can one day he's gonna wake up and not be able to like go to the next day because he can't pick up something or whatnot.
Speaker 2: Chester, send your thoughts, send our thoughts to your buddy, and if anyone has any feedback for Chester's buddy, hit up Chester on Instagram and he'll pass that along. Now, the last thing here before we go, Corey. There is someone in the chat named Sarah Calkins who says he doesn't have to be home until Sunday, followed by another comment that says, but he better not be empty handed.
Speaker 5: And since you're eating all the bros, you better have an elk.
Speaker 7: I got three more days and I better start hitting some grouse.
Speaker 2: Then all right, boys, good luck Corey. We will follow along on Instagram with your hunt. Thanks guys, Thanks guys.
Speaker 1: Now.
Speaker 2: Our next segment is me Theater Movie Club. This week we're reviewing the nineteen ninety six documentary Project Grizzly.
Speaker 5: Project Grizzly is a quirky and captivating nineteen ninety six Canadian documentary directed by Peter Lynch. It follows the eccentric inventor Troy Hertebies on his obsessive quest to create a suit of armour capable with standing a grizzly bear attack. Inspired by terrifying yet fascinating encounter with a grizzly, Troy's journey is equal parts poignant and absurd, as he subjects himself to increasingly dangerous experiments to prove the efficacy of his invention. In many respects, the film provides an unsettling commentary on the absurdity of man's search for purpose in the modern world from a materiless perspective. The film's brief mention of Troy's unused degree in resource management and his venomous disdain for so called experts are revealing. This detail speaks to a largest sidal issue that has only become more pressing since the film's release, the disconnect between education and meaningful employment opportunities, and, in a Freudian sense, viewer can't help but wonder whether Troy's fumbling attempts to create an invincible suit of armor derived from a need to eclipse his father's parallel don Quixote like quest. A bizarrely detailed recreation of an Iroquois village that forms the backdrop for Troy's earliest memories. We do not have much insight into the relationship between our eccentric protagonist and his mother, but in a telling aside, he notes that she has not said anything to him about his project in the seven years that he's been working on it. The documentary thus presents a unique perspective on existential angst. Set against the backdrop of the vast Canadian wilderness. Troy's obsessive mission, while ostensibly about protection from bears, is really an attempt to cobble together identity and purpose in a world that doesn't seem to have a clear place for him. The bear suit, born from a refusal to see a chance animal encounter as meaningless, becomes a physical manifestation of his struggle against insignificance in a vast, uncaring universe, and all concluded this. Ultimately, Troy's inability to move in his unwieldy cut costume in an attempt to encounter a real bear underscores the tragic yet darkly comic nature of his quest.
Speaker 2: Wow, is there anything left to be said after that?
Speaker 4: No? Well, oh I don't think so.
Speaker 5: In lieu of a hunt fish factoid, Spencer, I know that you have an exciting discovery to share with our audience.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Five minutes into watching this documentary yesterday, I was like, where is this suit now? So I went to Google and within a half hour I was speaking to the current owner of the grizzly proof suit, which was the Ursus What was it, Marx? It's the Mark seven, Mark six, whatever it is, the one that he has in the film. I've tracked down the current owner of that. On some future episode of Media Radio, We're going to talk to that person and get all the details about how they came into possession of it.
Speaker 5: Well, that's fantastic, gentlemen. I'm just curious for your initial thoughts on the film.
Speaker 2: My initial thoughts, this isn't a movie about like building a grizzly bear proof suit. This is a about some drinking buddies who take all their energy that normally, like among a friend group, goes into hunting or fishing or golfing or gardening, and they just put that into building a RoboCop. That's what this documentary is to me.
Speaker 4: And you felt like it was a group of buddies, like they weren't hired hands.
Speaker 2: I would well, okay. Later on he says something about my research team, which I think his research team is are his drinking buddies?
Speaker 5: Yeah, I do have a note from Sydney here. Who are these effing people with him? Was Sydney's reaction to these buddies, buddies?
Speaker 4: Those are actually some of my favorite parts were when they're in the cafe just kind of shooting the bowl. Yes, but yeah, I could never tell if they were genuine friends or because of because I imagined to do what he did here. He had deep pockets.
Speaker 5: Deep debt. Yeah, I will say the one man who's in charge of lobbing the explosives like grenades. He did refer to him as Uncle John. Yeah, so I do think that they weren't all hired hands, be honest. I mean, did you watch this with anyone or did you screen this by yourself?
Speaker 4: Jennifer popped in and out of the room, and she was captivated at moments. Once she realized what it was, as you so beautifully described in the beginning, it became a little more interesting. You know that it was really a portrait of this person, not so much about the suit. But even then, I think that she's a busy woman and she decided that it wasn't worth her time.
Speaker 5: Maybe she'll revisit that decision after hearing our little summary here. I'm curious, out of the entirety of the film, what about Troy's odyssey sort of struck you as resonated with you giving your experience outdoors and in bear country, like.
Speaker 2: Or like Yanni had just said, my favorite parts weren't even related to the suit. I just loved how Canadian in the nineties this felt where they're you know, ripping SIGs in a diner and they're like playing pool at a gentleman's club. They're tearing through mud puddles and a quarter ton pickup.
Speaker 5: He has a turtleneck with short sleeves.
Speaker 4: I had Canadian friends in the nineties that wore berets.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, yeah, and buckskins, And at one point like it's like, okay, it can't get more ridiculous than him wearing a red beret and a buckskin jacket. And then it cuts to him in a duster jacket.
Speaker 5: Oh yeah, the duster.
Speaker 2: I have you out did yourself? Yeah, just all the stuff that's very Canadian. Where he's he's lighting a cigarette with a blowtorch at one point, and how he acts like his wife is the old ball and chain, and like I'm only allowed out every other night between eleven pm and one thirty am. Otherwise my bitch of a wife is just going to be so angry with me. And that that was very satisfying that the sit communists in a genuine way.
Speaker 5: He had when he was shaving at the wilderness camp with his bowie knife. And here on the screen now our viewers will enjoy some of the experiments in which mister Hurdaby's tests how well his suit works.
Speaker 4: Would you make a little compilation, no, I'm just playing that little clip.
Speaker 5: But he when he's shaving with the buck knife or the bowie knife, you see there's a lit cigarette sitting underneath the mirror so you can take drags in between strokes.
Speaker 4: I was actually impressed with his with his physical fitness. He's somehow he's doing something to stay in shape. There's like a short little beat where he's sort of getting ready, yes, and he's doing some tight chee and he's flipping this cane around, and like, I don't know, if I try to flip a cane around like that, I'd end up hurting myself.
Speaker 2: But I had I bucketed that in like the bad part of the movie, because it wouldn't matter if you put Shaquille O'Neill or Dolly Parton in that suit. It wouldn't matter, Like the results would be the exact same. So him thinking that his yoga is a crucial part of surviving this bear attack is just ridiculous.
Speaker 5: I think he was just getting limbers that he could get into the suit, which was no small task in and of itself.
Speaker 4: Well, and he was also getting ready to face down at Grizzly Barry. He might have been just psyching himself up, getting the mental game strang.
Speaker 5: Now, I'll add that one of the parts of the film that spoke to me as an outdoorsement is coming up with the solution to every possible eventuality and then realizing that if you do what you think you need to do, you won't be able to undertake what you're actually trying to accomplish. Yes, you know, I mean, I've always thought about bringing X, Y and Z on my backpacking trip, and I think he has a sort of comically exaggerated version of that where he's not able to move in his suit. I do have a quote.
Speaker 2: Here Randall has eight pages of notes in front of him.
Speaker 5: Jesus Christ, I can't walk. And then there's another one where he says, oh, f quicksand F.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 5: I just I mean, I feel like that's I feel like everybody has that voice within them that's like, take this, add that you know you'll be able to solve the problem, but at some point you just have to go out there and do it.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Two other parts I really liked. I trust that the suit was indestructible. If he were to get in a fight with a grizzly, he would survive without a scratch on him. The other one was I liked when telling his backstory about why he became obsessed with grizzly bears, and he was talking about the encounter that he had that he openly said that he shit and pissed himself. Yes, during that encounter. That was That was a nice touch on his part, good storytelling.
Speaker 4: Yeah, they do ride into some big country, which I appreciated. Yeah, you know, those boys weren't scared of being out in the in some big time wild at.
Speaker 2: Least it says in your band, at least what they.
Speaker 4: Portrayed as as big mountains. But yeah, the fact that he didn't think through like being able to move and walk in the suit, and that his buddies didn't ment and the director of the film, because it was a real letdown, right, I mean, you're kind of getting hyped up and then all of a sudden, it's like, oh, I can't walk and we're going to abort I think.
Speaker 5: I think the other part that really made this special for me was once they're in camp and they can't encounter a grizzly bear, they they all reveal that the grizzly one of them says, the grizzly doesn't even have to be there to get that edge. And there's the guy describing the hand grenade game that they used to play in Vietnam. Yeah, in Vietnam.
Speaker 2: He went to Vietnam because he wanted to travel a little.
Speaker 5: Bit for fun travel and adventure and to get a feel for what it's like in combat. But several of them all acknowledge that, like there's a there's a certain thrill in putting themselves in this dangerous situation, but it doesn't actually have to be dangerous. Just knowing that the bears out there is enough for them. So yeah, that that also spoke to something within me.
Speaker 4: Yeah, the last time to say about it, you've already touched on it. But the bowie knife stuff there at the end, it really it sums it all up because it goes away from one crazy thing and comes over jumps over to another crazy thing, which is he's equally crazy about. And he's even saying that his blokes are laughing at him about his the way I mean he's carrying this, you know, I mean that blade's got to be ten inches and he's carrying it like not on his hip like most as well, he's got different he's got.
Speaker 5: Three, because there's one point where he's swinging two bowie knives and I was like, oh, he's got the one on his shoulder, but where did you have the second one? Then I realized the other one's still in the shoulder sheath.
Speaker 4: But he takes it so seriously that even had because most people own a bowie knife like that, it ain't sharp, right, it's like a toy. He had it so sharp that he could actually kind of shave, which was impressive. And then the fact that he could actually throw it, and I mean, I don't know how he takes it took but again in the film, it shows him sticking it into a tree, but.
Speaker 5: He acknowledges that in a defensive situation he would have to be a certain distance to get the right rotation.
Speaker 2: And the best part about that whole scene is he justifies carrying knives by saying this isn't for bears. It's because there's a lot of wackos out here, which is just incredible. It'd be like if you know what a terrorist was at a terrorist mixer, and he was like, some of these people in here just don't have very good morales, so it was it was perfect.
Speaker 5: I thought good morals.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yo morals.
Speaker 5: I thought the knife thing was also interesting because he said, everybody laughs at me. But if I ever run into a real mountain man, a real mountain man who knows his salt, he's going to see these blades and think, this guy knows what he's doing. So despite the reality that he encounters, he has this imaginary scenario in his mind that justifies what he's doing.
Speaker 7: Right.
Speaker 5: I thought it was a wonderful film. I enjoyed every it of it. I probably hadn't seen it in ten years or more. I don't remember when it was that I first saw it, but it exceeded my my vague memories of it. So I think it's I think it would be an interesting film to pair with Grizzly Man because they're two individuals, you know, one sort of a tortured failed actor and the other one is this you know, dreamer, and they both have very different relationships to Grizzly Bears, and ultimately they both fail in their life's work.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I I like. One of my takeaways was that the suit wasn't that impressive? He had said at one point he's like, it's one hundred and forty seven pounds, which is relatively light, and it's like, no, no, it's not. And he couldn't you know, as you discussed earlier, Randall, he couldn't take two steps in the thing, which was an enormous flaw for trying to get attacked. And then you know, another thing you touched on was just how he doesn't like experts. He'll like reference experts, but it's always in a very sarcastic way, like he's criticizing you know what the experts think about grizzly bears.
Speaker 5: Well, he did have Minnesota rubber on that suit, which can stop a high speed drill. Then there's a layer of titanium, then chain mail, then plastic, then more titanium than more plastic. So I don't know, you can't get all that stuff on and without going at least over one hundred pounds. Yeah, honest thoughts.
Speaker 4: I mean, in the end, do you guys feel that the drive just did come from sort of just trying to live up to his father's expectations.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yes, becaue he kind of says that he's like that the ghost is always there, and he's like sort of. His dad is almost a mythical person when he's talking about you know, he created all this by hand with a hatchet. You know this this was like good for the community. It's it's he's trying to impress his dad, who's not around. And I feel like he like kind of straight up says that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but to the point that it drove him mad.
Speaker 5: He says, in a revealing moment, my biggest fear is monotony, the fear of being average. And I think if we view his quest in that sense, he he achieved what he's looking for because he is immortalized in this classic documentary.
Speaker 2: Yeah, my final takeaway, watch the movie four out of five stars. Any any outdoorsman would enjoy what you get in like this seventy two minute watch free on two B And then I think in other parts of the world it's free on YouTube. It's not for Americans, but two B is a free streaming app, and I think that's where most of us consumed to that. All right, Phil, we are about halfway through the show. Here, give us some listener feedback. What do the people have to say?
Speaker 6: Yeah, just in regards to Project Grizzley, Ryan just says, it's another day in Canada, Canadian, tell us what you think.
Speaker 4: Is a Canadian iron Man?
Speaker 6: Yes, Brandon says, and then different Ryan is asking, how do we know what the movie will be for the next episode. Wonder we do a movie.
Speaker 2: The week before on media Radio here. I think it's usually the last thing that is on the show. We will tell you what movie you were reviewing. I think we don't have another movie review for two more weeks, and I think we already decided on that when it's going to be Escanaba into Moonlight, which I've never seen. I'm sure that Yanni has probably seen it twenty five.
Speaker 5: I've never seen it, Okay, but this was a highly requested film.
Speaker 2: Yes, and we will always give you a one week warning about what we're going to watch, and we'll tell you how you can watch it as well, so you can join us in the Mediator Movie Club discussion.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: And I had to find out about that movie by some hunting clients of mine from Missouri. I hadn't seen it. I was, I don't know, twenty five years old, and they rolled in one year and I had just quote after quote from this movie and couldn't believe that I hadn't seen it.
Speaker 2: Some movies take on a larger life, like long after you know they were relevant the first time. I think this is one of them. The invention of social media and you know, like the success of forty five second clips in our daily life has really like put this movie on a pedestal in a way that I don't think it when it was released in nineteen ninety six.
Speaker 5: I think that's fair.
Speaker 2: Fill any other feedback at this portion of the show.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, we.
Speaker 6: Got some feedback. Josh says that you look like Teddy Roosevelt. You should be Teddy for Halloween. Okay, Yeah, Leandre was chiming in all the way from Brazil. You just listened to the last episode of mediater Trivia and heard about Randall's fishing. I'm guessing your your golf course fish.
Speaker 5: It must have been that big fish. I caught word spreading and this fantastic.
Speaker 2: They have a peacock bass as their profile picture.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and that caught it out of a golf course pond, four and.
Speaker 5: A half pounder.
Speaker 2: Yes, we did, Yanni.
Speaker 4: You should have had some kids with you, and we did in college them fish.
Speaker 2: We'd let them fish.
Speaker 6: I'll find your photo here, Yanny's telling us how he real feels Barrel. Does Spenser actually work or just make up games for everyone that Metior to play instead of actually getting real work done? Take this lightheartedly.
Speaker 2: You guys are the best, Uh that that is my work here?
Speaker 4: Yeah, and he's very good at it.
Speaker 2: Thank you, Phil.
Speaker 6: And then last one here, Caleb says, will there be a trivia component to media radio in the future.
Speaker 10: I'm going to add to that because Phil is too modest. There are tons of people shouting you out today, Phil, but someone had suggested that Phil should host a live trivia pop culture and movie related.
Speaker 2: Yes, So one of our future segments. I think it'll be a day when we've got like a Brody Steve, maybe a Yannie or Cal here, We're going to do Phil's trivia, which you're going to be pop culture related questions and we're going to find out just how little these boys know about what's happening in the world of sports and Hollywood and cinema and TV. And it's going to be very satisfying.
Speaker 5: Let's far up that Phil camp for a minute. That come on, Hey, Popular Demand.
Speaker 4: I see you guys shouting out in the chat. I appreciate you. I see you.
Speaker 6: There are dozens of us. Keep fighting the good fight. You're You're worthwhile. Don't let anyone tell you other way.
Speaker 5: The philistines that's right.
Speaker 2: Anything else for now?
Speaker 6: Phil, I think that's it for now, But keep chiming in with some questions because we're gonna do another round of Q and A at the end of the show. So if you have any questions for the boys, put him in the live chat please.
Speaker 5: All right?
Speaker 2: Moving on, our next segment is One Minute Fishing. Do I feel lucky?
Speaker 4: We'll do you, Punk, go ahead, make my cast.
Speaker 2: One Minute Fishing is where we go live to someone who's fishing and they have one minute to catch a fish and if they're successful, we'll make a five hundred dollars donation to a conservation group. This week, our angler is Pat Dirkin who's on Lake Cascade in Idaho and he's fishing for a donation to Muskies Ink. Pat. Welcome to the show.
Speaker 3: Hey Spencer. Good to hear from you.
Speaker 4: Pat.
Speaker 2: How is the fishing bent so far? I take it you've been on the water for most of the morning so far.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I got to show you what we got so far.
Speaker 2: Okay, Pat is going to what I assume as.
Speaker 4: A live whoa, I ain't no live well.
Speaker 2: He has got a live well of a ton of jumbo jump in there. These all look like the thirteen fourteen inches that have shoulders on them. That's when you have a jumble perch, when they start to develop shoulders, Pat, what have you been doing out there on Cascade Leg to catch all these fish?
Speaker 11: I give all the credit to my guide out here, Chris Webber. Chris is a fellow Wisconsin night he's been guiding here. I gotta tell you a spencer. One of my funny things. I think it's funny if people ask me all the time, why do you go fishing in Idaho and you got perching?
Speaker 3: Wiscon Now?
Speaker 11: I think Chris Webber here, he didn't just come here fishing once. He actually moved here from Wisconsin because of these jumbles.
Speaker 2: M Chris tell us about Chris tell us about the tactics you guys are using out on the water today.
Speaker 12: Well, right now, you've been throwing d rig and blade baits, a couple of different different lures.
Speaker 11: We got we got nedrig right in front of your heren.
Speaker 4: Can we get a close up with that I've never heard of that, Edric.
Speaker 12: Yeah, it's just basically a chunk of It's like a three inch chunk of plastic.
Speaker 1: And my favorite blade bait.
Speaker 12: You know, this is the Weber blade that I helped design.
Speaker 4: Works really good.
Speaker 12: We've had a great morning so far. We got thirty fish in a live well and hopefully Pat can put it together in one minute.
Speaker 1: It's a lot of pressure, but.
Speaker 2: Okay, Chris is sharing all his secrets with us. Now we're going to see if Pat Dirkin can put it into action. Pat, your one minute of fishing starts when you make your first cast.
Speaker 3: Go ahead, all right, here we go right there, Bet.
Speaker 2: Now we have no idea on the lake where they are at. There is a lot of overcast back there, and Pat has just made his very first cast.
Speaker 5: The music is a nice touch film did we get new music?
Speaker 4: Looks like a pretty slow retrieve, a little jig.
Speaker 2: He's he's bouncing it off the bottom on his reere.
Speaker 4: The water must not be very deep. Oh he's frozen. No, oh no, come.
Speaker 8: On, ok.
Speaker 4: Oh, I feel a strike coming, Pat.
Speaker 2: You have thirty seconds left.
Speaker 4: Work at Pat work it feel it.
Speaker 2: As a reminder, we have yet to have a successful angler for one minute.
Speaker 5: Fishing fishes on fishes on ladies. Christ, my god.
Speaker 4: That is a good rod. Then for a perch, the net scoop is happening. It's at the butt.
Speaker 5: That's a that's a moment and meeting radio live history.
Speaker 4: One cat is all.
Speaker 2: It to a beauty and it's a keeper that that is a jumbo perch of jumbo perch. Pat, well done, Thank you.
Speaker 5: Sounds like it's time to head back to the boat ramp. You've accomplished what you set out to do.
Speaker 2: Pat is our first, our first ever angler to be successful on one minute fishing, and that means we're going to make a five hundred dollars donation on behalf of meat Eater and Pat to muskies.
Speaker 5: Ink.
Speaker 2: Now, Pat, tell us about that one minute. How did you think it was gonna happen?
Speaker 11: I had about an eighty percent chance. I figured we're really about eight o'clock. Yeah, I'll show you a secret here. Chris has been picking on me all morning fishing with up my old Mitchell three hundred in nineteen seventy. Wow, I let Chris tried it earlier. You tried to give a few cranks. He says, so you like this, huh Mitchell three hundreds. These guys think they're old school, but I use it because they work. I've been using this forty years years old. But anyway, that's the secret to my success. But also Chris also picked on me because I'm using eight pound fulment instead of a good braid.
Speaker 3: But you'll be But yeah, this is exciting. Thanks for having me on.
Speaker 2: Well done, Pat, the chat is very excited right now. I've seen people call you a hero, a legend, and just.
Speaker 4: Someone said all it took was to have a Wisconsin night on there could get it get it done.
Speaker 2: Great job, Pat. Let us know how the rest of your day goes. We will check in with you after the show.
Speaker 5: Thank you, Pat.
Speaker 1: Thanks.
Speaker 4: Pat's having quite the quite the couple of weeks. He's coming right on the heels off of the heels of a successful elk hunt in Idaho.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I don't think he was even planning on fishing, but he tagged out on like the morning or something and he had to fill some other time in Idaho.
Speaker 4: Well, he's so into it. His wife, I think, is flying out to fish for another week of just week of perch fishing. I'm about to stop buy pass places for a fish fry when I'm in Wisconsin's delightful?
Speaker 2: What do I love?
Speaker 7: Pat?
Speaker 2: All right? Moving on, Our next segment is Meat Eaters Show and Tell.
Speaker 4: Mannie the Showtun Mannie the Show.
Speaker 5: We can still see celebrating on the boat. He just did a huge fist box.
Speaker 9: Brought a rock?
Speaker 4: What else did you?
Speaker 2: Phil?
Speaker 4: Thank you? We can do tennes of Phil.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 4: Phil.
Speaker 2: He said in the sounder there that I brought a rock? What else would you expect? And Phil was.
Speaker 4: Right, No, I truly didn't know.
Speaker 2: I brought a rock today for show and Talent. Show and Tell is exactly what it sounds like. This is like if you walked into an elementary school on Friday. We're going to be showing you our our favorite knick knacks from our home and then tell you about them. So the first thing I'm gonna go first here this in my hand. Phil, can you do a tight on me at all?
Speaker 6: To be You can do a single shot, but I can't really zoom in here right now.
Speaker 2: This is a dinosaur bone and I actually brought dinosaur bones for you boys today. You can you can have these one for Randall, one for Yanni and this this is from a duck bill dinosaur. I found it on the Montana Canada border.
Speaker 5: Is it the official state dinosaur of Montana?
Speaker 2: I don't know. I think there are a few types of duck bills. This would be the official state dinosaur. Is it the official state fossil.
Speaker 5: I think it's an official dinosaur.
Speaker 2: Okay, I found this.
Speaker 4: We're in has something to say?
Speaker 10: Oh no, I was just gonna say for our audio only audience, can you describe and detail what it is?
Speaker 4: Color? Looks like a rock to me, honestly, I think.
Speaker 2: It looks like a bone. You can like, I don't know.
Speaker 5: Marrow type structure.
Speaker 2: Now, a lot of people would ask, how do you know it's a dinosaur bone or how do you know what kind of rock you're looking at? Now, with with dinosaur bones and most fossilized bones in general, there's a really cool test you could do. And this is not a trick. It's called the lick test. Now I'll show you what I mean by the lick test. If you take a fossilized dinal bone and put it on your tongue, it will stick to your tongue as though you have just licked like a frozen flagpole at recess in the winter. So I'm gonna show you what I mean. I have this dinal bone. It's about the size of a quarter.
Speaker 4: The porous or the non it helps.
Speaker 2: It helps if you lick the porous side. So I'm gonna press I'm gonna press this against my tongue and you can see what I mean by the lick test. Here we go.
Speaker 5: Oh wow, screen grab that, Phil What what.
Speaker 4: Is it that makes it do that?
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 2: I don't know what the properties of it that makes it do it. But if you're out in a place where you could legally collect fossils like this, like you know, a private ranch in Montana like I was on, and you find something like that could be a dinosaur bone. One way you'll tell is do the lick test. Johanni Randa. You you boys do the lick test. It's and it worked for you. Hanging right on their tongue. Yeah, the lick test. That's that's how you declare if something is a fossilized bone or not. That is my item today.
Speaker 6: And also a hot tip off to so that's that's free.
Speaker 2: That's a free one. Hot Yanni, what did you bring for show and tell.
Speaker 4: I brought this side jar of elk teeth. Elk Ivory's.
Speaker 2: Looks like there's about a pint's worth of ivories in there.
Speaker 4: I'd say it's more like a half pint, like a cup.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Once I saw actually a pint of elk Ivory's, I was like, damn, dude, that's a lot of elk Ivors.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 4: And the guy was very It was Donnie the wild Man McConnell, which I've talked about him before. He was a guy I used to guide with. He was haven't I told you guys about him?
Speaker 2: Never heard of?
Speaker 5: No, it sounds fascinating.
Speaker 4: Guide in a leather jacket that I have. He customs sewed his own pockets into for his cigarettes lighter forty four magnum, and his bunk had no sleeping bag on it. He would literally sit down on his bunk and finish off his last Budweiser, which was, you know, probably into the double digits of the evening, put his cigarette out, take his boots off some nights, and then lay down with those leather jackets still on, sometimes with a pillow or not, and in the morning he'd sit up light up a cigarette and start drinking cokes, and you go about half of the day with cokes and then the other half the day with Budweisers. Anyways, he had a full jar of these.
Speaker 2: They don't make them like him anymore.
Speaker 4: No, no, And I thought, man, I'll to start This thing is roughly the size of pint jar. How long will it take to fill up a pint jar of elk ivories? I feel like I don't know if they're shrinking, but I feel like I put a couple sometimes four in here every year, and it's almost like my little pile gets small.
Speaker 2: I mean, it's gonna have to check your daughter's room see if they're thiefing. I'm taking them to sh.
Speaker 4: No, no, no, well I doubt it, but I'm just saying that it takes a lot. Do you want to take a guess? I countmber when I got in here. Do you want to take a guess how many pairs are in here?
Speaker 2: I would say fifteen?
Speaker 5: Oh, I was going to say fourteen. Are we doing prices right? Rules?
Speaker 2: Oh no, no, no, what is it? Thirty two pairs? Oh my goodness, yeah, and there's sixty four teeth in here. To get one cup of yeah, thirty thirty two.
Speaker 4: And if you can, you know that they used to, you know, the indigenous of this land mass used to have shirts that had were completely sewed, you know, with the whole front of elk ivories. I mean it must have been hundreds of animals that they use.
Speaker 2: Can they identify any of the ivories in there? Like I know this one was from this bowl.
Speaker 1: No.
Speaker 4: I've thought about, you know, marking them like Steve does with a little these little white out and then write something on there. But I don't have many collections at home. I'm not a big collector, but this is something that I do collect. I don't know, it's just a jar of teeth really, what you think about it. I probably won't be grabbing it in a fire, you know, and running out of the house with it. But it's one of the few things that I collect, my little jar vivories.
Speaker 2: Very nice addition to Eat Eaters Show and Tell, Randa, what do you got for us today?
Speaker 5: Well, you know, for the young folks out there, this is a point and shoot camera. Prior to the age of the smartphone, you used to carry around one of these.
Speaker 2: And about the size of a deck of cards.
Speaker 5: Yeah, about the size of a deck of cards. This is the Olympus style is tough. And I was organizing my garage and found this camera, an ancient memory, and I thought that I would bring it in because that was the second time I've found this camera. The first time was after I shot my first bear in Alaska. Someone took a photo of me and that person if the Delamire and Hopkins crew is still in there, that person is Neil Potter, and we brought we brought the bear back to the boat and he says, dude, I don't have your camera. And I spent the rest of the summer looking for that camera. And I was just cutting down Devil's Club and all kinds of things. Couldn't find it, got a metal detector, couldn't find it.
Speaker 2: This was important.
Speaker 5: I wanted a photo. And so in any event, I went back the Falling May to guide another summer. And when you go back to Alaska in the springtime, nothing's grown up. It's all just dead. So I walked right back there found this thing. The waterproof and freeze proof claims are accurate, because Phil, we have that photo.
Speaker 2: Hey, look at that very nice.
Speaker 5: And and there's a second part to my show and tell you. No, that's just how my beard grows.
Speaker 4: Ohio.
Speaker 5: Actually in that photo shirt, you're like really going for the look. That's a denim shirt. Used to wear them all the time. That's a Delmere and Hopkins hat. Shout out Delmire and Hopkins again. And that bear was killed with a four hundred and thirty grain hard cast bullet loaded by HSMMO out of the Bitterroot Valley. And because I didn't think I had a photo of it, I got my first shoulder mount.
Speaker 2: Okay, and he brought that the.
Speaker 5: Bear right here. This is the only this is the only way I shoulder mount a bear of this size because I thought I didn't have a photo, so that was an expensive, unnecessary.
Speaker 4: The picture made him look a lot bigger.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I know, it's kind of scruffed up.
Speaker 2: Where is that bear mount in your home?
Speaker 5: It's just sitting out in the garage. Was actually very close to where I found this camera. So usually we have him in a position of prominence and he wears a Santa Claus hat in the wintertime. That's my show and tell.
Speaker 2: Show and Tell, just Laris to Phil Right, I'm gonna bring rocks every single time. Now it was fun. Johnny brought sixty four things to show and tell, Randall brought three things to show and tell, and I also brought three things to show and tell. We'll see if we can top it next time. Moving on. Joining us on the line next is professional chef Yea Vang. He just opened his second restaurant in Minneapolis and is here to talk to us about monk cooking. Yeah, welcome to the show.
Speaker 1: What's up, dudes?
Speaker 4: Good good, First thing, the whole the whole Linck test you guys are doing.
Speaker 1: Uh huh dude. I got caught up in that one, but it was in a van and all I guess that's a fossil weird dude. It's like, come into my van. I'm like okayn.
Speaker 2: And they got him. First thing, now, the Minnesota State Fair that that just recently ended, its second only to the Texas State Fair as the biggest state fair in the country. Did you go this year?
Speaker 1: Yeah, we have a shop, so it was there. This is our third year there. The asterisk on the Minnesota State Fair being the second overall in the nation is because the Texas State Fair is thirty days and the Minnesota State Fair is only twelve. It's not a little unfair there. But this year we had almost two million people come through in less than about twelve days. Wow.
Speaker 2: Okay, what what was the best thing you ate there that wasn't your own food?
Speaker 1: Man? You know, you can do all the fry stuff if you want, you know, But for me, man, it's gotta be friend. Dude. I have so many friends there, they're gonna be so mad at me.
Speaker 4: Anyway.
Speaker 1: Okay, here here like my trying true no, no, no, no, this is my try and truth. There's a place there where it's just like a beef tips kind of place. I forget the name of it, but basically you get a big mashed potato and you just get some surmo and tips and then fried onions and I mean it's just his you know. So it's one of my feelings.
Speaker 2: Now, Can people find you? Can people find you? At the State Fair most years?
Speaker 1: Yeah, we're there every year. So state fairs it's kind of like run like the mob. So blood in, blood out. So once you get in, once you get in, to get out, it's like you gotta you know, there's some stuff. I kid you not. In about twenty to twenty five years, Netflix is gonna do a show call like the Truth behind the Minnesota State Fair, right, and they're gonna interview us, and then I'm gonna get really I'm gonna tell you got some secrets, you know.
Speaker 2: Okay, looking forward to that. Currently we're doing the Meat Eater Tailgate Tour, but we think next year Randall and I were talking it should be the Meat Eater State Fair to go to Minnesota, Texas the best state fairs in.
Speaker 1: The country is the most ridiculous thing ever, you know, Like I talk to my friends with aren't a brown from this area and they're like, that's cute. You guys have this like County Fair. I'm like, bro, you know, counter Fair. But one of the Saturdays in one day, at twelve hour day, we had two hundred and fifty eight thousand people come through.
Speaker 4: Wow.
Speaker 2: Now you tell us where you're standing today? I see an open flame behind you.
Speaker 1: Yeah. So we're at our brand new restaurant v n I. So this is we have an open kitchen right here. Our friend Ben we makes these incredible grill called grill Works. So there's these grills that you know, goes up and down, and we got this really cool setup back here The wood we use is Minnesota oak so it's from this guy name He's got place here. It's called Paul's Firewood. I thought it was Paul's hardwood. If you type in google Paul's hardwood, something else comes up. So I found out that really quick. But Minnesota oak man. It's it's just everything we cook from, you know, it's a very cooking from wood fire is a very traditional thing with a lot of among food, especially with our people growing up in the mountains of Laos And this is how my father and his father and his father's before him, this is how they cook. So we're really excited about using this.
Speaker 2: And is the flame just for looks because you're on the podcast today? Are you actually cooking something right now?
Speaker 1: No, I'm actually cooking something. So you know what's really cool is we do the show on Outdoor called Ferrell and I got to meet my buddy Chris, who owns a broken arrow ranch and so down in Texas. And they so they they do access theer, they do bore, they do everything. So it's like it's almost like this traveling butcher shop they have. So we get our wild boar from them. So we're gonna make so we're making like a wild boar monk sausage. So basically it's wild boar, and we threw a little bit of belly in there because we want a little bit more fat, lemongrass, ginger, garlic, fish, sauce, chili oil, salt, and pepper. And what I love about using wild boar is the original hogs or boards that was used in the mountains allows here in America. The wild boar here is the closest we get. And what's so special about this dish is that it is the closest that I'll get to be making almost the ex exact same among sausage that my father and my grandfather passed away during the war and I never met him. This is what they did back in the old country and the mountains alots, which a couple of years I got chances to go. A couple of years ago, I got a chance to go visit. So so it's really special and it's you know, man, it's so cool and be able to share that with my father, and we were talking about this, and you know how a lot of the you know, the hogs they had up there a wild so it was they would go and hunt it and then they break it down. The whole village will call me to break it down, they you know, and they put all the aromatics in it. And then to even eat sausage, you know, when you're in these poor villages is a special treat. So what they would do is they were starting.
Speaker 4: Yeah, they had to make their own casings from those hogs too, I imagine.
Speaker 1: Well yeah, I mean they don't make the casing. They pull the cases out, which is you know what I'm saying. Yeah, so well, but the but the fast way of doing it right, it's just so what we did is, you know, we we mix it up and everything. And then Dad was just like, you know, they make just little patties, little patties, yep, and you kind of just like almost like burger patties. And then what they would have is a little like a little like rack in which I'm putting it on right now, but you put a patty, you put it on a rack like this, yeah, so you know, and then just throw it over the fire. And the cool thing about this, and what my father taught me was that it was always on the go, right. So you're you're out, you're hunting, and sometimes you got to walk hours and hours and then you hunt. I mean, you guys know what I'm talking about. And right away you can break the meat down. You bring in a little aromatics, you do that, you start a little fire, you use bamboos, and then you would make a little rack like this, you put it on. You bring some sticky rice with you, and that was your lunch, you know.
Speaker 2: And so go ahead, he just put these patties on the grill. How long are they going to be there?
Speaker 1: Now? So they'll probably be there about five minutes on each side, and well, you know, we'll kind of flip them and go. But for you guys will go real close right now. We don't do we don't do fake TV cooking here. It's real, you know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well Burn, what makes your newest restaurant different than everything else that's in Minneapolis.
Speaker 1: Well, you know, I don't really think that we're doing anything. We really new. What I really do tell people is the work. The name VNI, which is the name of the restaurant. It's named after the refugee camp that our family came through. I was born there, my siblings were born there, my parents, my parents seventy seven. They got married at seventy eight and in eighty eight we ended up here in Saint Paul, Minnesota. So so Va I host for seventy five and ninety two, hosted about ninety thousand refugee after the war. When I say war, I mean Vietnam War, which is which you know, it's in northern Laos, so not a lot of people knew about it. I was actually called the Secret War, and it was. It was a war fought by the American government and the CIA. At the age of twelve and thirteen, he joined up, so he was part of the militia that fought for the Americans. And so after that, you know, the Americans pulled out. There's all these refugees, thousands of thousands people came through and so this restaurant here Vna, we just I just felt we went. It's a love letter in my mom and dad. You know, if you guys get a chance to come down here, every piece in this place has a memory, you know, dedicated to them. It's an emblem of them, you know. I mean, you know, you guys, you guys are hunters, you guys are fathers, and you guys understand what it means to leave a legacy, you know, and especially being a conservationist too, understanding of like, let's we need to take care of something so we can pass it down to the next generation. And for among people, when we came to this country, we didn't have any land, We didn't own anything. And what we were able to put our parents and their parents were able to pass down is their legacy. And for me, as much as people you know, look at like land and say, hey, this is my father's land, which is his father's land, I look at it as like, this is my father's legacy which was my grandfather as I see, which was his father's I see. And we get to do that, man, we get to do that with food and and the way that we make food and stuff like that. So super exciting.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'd say that if that backstory makes it different than everything else that's that's in Minneapolis now. Yanni said he might be passing through in a few weeks and and he's real interested and stopping. What what would you recommend Yanni order when he's there?
Speaker 1: You know, I mean, you know, I'll believe it when I see it, you know, like big big superstars like Yanni, and you know, it's one of those I'll call you, don't call me kind of I will. I will admit caw came through here for an event and he, you know, d m me and he like, you know, he's talking to me like, you know, like he remembered me from the from the podcast show. So well, thanks, buddy.
Speaker 4: Uh do I need a reservation?
Speaker 1: You know what I mean? If you want to pull the celebrity thing that Steve does, you know, you get your your agent, your people to call our people.
Speaker 4: We'll set it all up. But I'm serious, can I just show up? I'm asking for anybody, do you do I need to do? They need a call ahead to get a.
Speaker 1: Were we are. We are very very blessed to have right now being kind of newer, so we are kind of booked out till like the end of October ish. But for you, buddy, I will, I will kick out the Lieutenant governor.
Speaker 2: I'll be like, when Yanni is there, what should he order? What do you recommend?
Speaker 1: So hey, Yanni, you get here, man. It's all about our grill, right, So we have some really great vegetables coming off the grill, but we have this pork chop. It's a double cut pork chops right so that bad boys about two pounds and that bone part that's that's the baby back grip right there. And then you have the tail end of the of the pork chop. There is like the top part of the ballance. You got that fat and you got that center cut, dude, I go for that. I would also go for the fish. We have this fish and it's butterfly out grilled right over the fire. You know. Get some sticky rice, you know, get some of our cocktails, you know, and stuff like that. So I would say, and then our crab fried rice. Man, people have been killing about the that dry rice.
Speaker 4: No, I'm gonna order one of each, and I'm gonna bring my kid my well, one of my daughters is coming with me to hunt, and so we'll stop in for lunch on our way to camp.
Speaker 1: Yeah, if you come down here, make sure Casey comes with you too, you know.
Speaker 4: Okay, Yeah, I'll bug him. Yeah, that'd be fun.
Speaker 1: He's been traveling being so cool, so he hasn't returned any much. Type soon.
Speaker 2: Now, if somebody can't make it to your restaurant, but they want to try some one cooking at home, can you recommend like a meal that they start with and what what ingredients should they have on hand?
Speaker 1: Yeah, lemongrass, ginger, garlic, shallots, fish, sauce, tai chilies. Those are the basics. They're always around. Those are our.
Speaker 4: Oh no, we may have lunch there we go.
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay, my good, you're back.
Speaker 5: You're back, yes, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 1: So lemon grash, ginger, garlic, shallots, fish, sauce, you know, thy chilies. Those are things around. Is kind of the base of what we cook from. You know, I would say too, is you can literally YouTube, Google, you can do all that stuff right now. There's a lot of great food content creator that you know will walk you through the whole dish. Or a lot of vegetables, a lot a lot of vegetables are people are agricultural people, so we get to use some really really cool So my mom and dad actually has a farm that's like almost ten acres and every season they grow all the vegetables there and then you know, they give me a call and we will pick it up. And so a lot of our produced product that comes from them.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you're making us hungry. Now, if somebody wanted to try your cooking, tell folks how they can find you in Minnesota.
Speaker 1: So yeah, we're in Minneapolis. We have two locations, or we have two restaurants, a Union Munk Kitchen which is in Uptown, and then we have one in a food hall in North Loop and that's more like you know, fast cash, sit down, you know, think, you know. And then we have v NI which is in northeast here and so we're here. We're also in a bunch of the sporting stadium like the soccer stadium us Field with the Vikings yuh twin stadium, and in the summer we have what you call it, we'll have we have the stay there in the summer. And so we're kind of all around and you know, we get we're very blessed to get to do what we did do. Yeah, how do you spell v n I V I n A I B I n A.
Speaker 4: That's easy.
Speaker 1: And yeah, he's putting it.
Speaker 2: He's putting it into his itinerary right now.
Speaker 5: He's pulling up open table, trying to get trying to get as.
Speaker 4: No, I'm not messing with you, man, I'm I'm definitely stopping through. I'm gonna be there twice.
Speaker 1: Well like literally just message me, well, you know, well, and then Yanni and in our resie we each even have a little tags on there, so I'll put on like a celebrity.
Speaker 5: Put in easy on the spice.
Speaker 1: You'll be fine, man, you'll be fine.
Speaker 2: Thank you for joining us. Get back, get back to those burgers and uh yeah, we'll talk to you.
Speaker 1: I appreciate it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I have a great day.
Speaker 10: And just to highlight, thanks to you. Just to highlight, he was on episode for eighty of The Meat Eater Podcast with Steve and the Gang. It's called Going Feral with the Monk.
Speaker 2: All right, boys, That brings us to the end of today's episode, but we'll get some listener feedback from Phil here before we say goodbye.
Speaker 6: Yeah, not a whole lot of questions today, I'm assuming just because everyone was so engaged with this incredible program. But let's see, let's see, we have a gage. Is asking, well doctor Randall ever become rooted against in trivia like Steve once was, he's been dominating as long, if not longer than Ranella Or is it more about personality than dominance?
Speaker 4: Oh, Gage, you're not paying attention, buddy. We're definitely rooting against him every It's just basically the world against Randall in this.
Speaker 2: Room, rooting against him in a way that our most recent episode they dropped yesterday. We gave all the players an enormous advantage over Randall.
Speaker 5: See you and they check that out, I will spoil it you.
Speaker 6: Speaking of Corey, Corey says Randall isn't allowed back in Michigan after his T shirt stunt at the Big House. He's putting his photo up at the border.
Speaker 5: I mean, my apologies. Ann Arbor is a lovely place. I had a great time, love getting to meet some students at the University of Michigan. But uh, at my core I'm a Buckeye and so so we tried to I tried to do something subtle, tasteful, and I tried to avoid any sort of confrontation. But I do appreciate the hospitality in ann Arbor.
Speaker 2: Randa Warren Ohio State University t shirt to an ann Arbor game.
Speaker 5: And I only showed it to the camera.
Speaker 6: And this is this is like the one big, thick, meaty question that we got during this show, and it's it's kind of this is more of a col question. But you guys are seasoned vets of the industry, and maybe you'll have some insight here. But Ryan says tech a Texan hunter here, is there any reason that state or federal government couldn't buy some of the giant ranchers, for saying, and convert them to public land slash state parks. Is it just the lack of political will politics?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think each state is like sort of taken on, it taken on its identity for hunters and anglers at this point. And and that's just like not in Texas's culture to have a whole bunch of public land to go hunt. But I mean, you're not wrong. They probably could do that.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean there's there's budgets for federal land management agencies to acquire lands and do land swaps and all kinds of stuff. It's there's no there's no rule that says what's not federal can never be federal. But yeah, it's authornity issue politically.
Speaker 2: Some states are known for their opportunities. Some states are known for their trophy units. In some states like Texas, are known for being heavily privatized for their game and fish.
Speaker 6: Yeah, well the last quick hitters here, Chase is just thanking Spencer for his his childlock on his freezer tip from episode one from the Hot tip Offs.
Speaker 2: That's uh, that's the kind of advice you can get from this here podcast. Something. He said his nine dollars child block makes him sleep better at now.
Speaker 4: That's right.
Speaker 2: Thank you for writing in, Chase.
Speaker 6: Yeah, and we'll leave you all with some fighting words. Posterior Attention says that the Minnesota State Fair has better cheese curds than Wisconsin.
Speaker 4: So some dude from Wisconsin that brought his cheese curds over there to sell them.
Speaker 5: I always trust to internet commentary with the handle posterior attention.
Speaker 2: All right, that is it for this week's episode. We'll see you guys back your same time in place in seven days.
Speaker 5: Thank you gang.
Speaker 4: Thanks boys, that was fun.