Speaker 1: Bloomberg Audio Studios, Podcasts, radio news from Marhart.
Speaker 2: We're Innovation, Money and Power Collie in Silicon Valley, NBN. This is Bloomberg Technology with Caroline Hyde and Ed Ludlow.
Speaker 3: I'm Caroline Hyde at Bloomberg's world headquarters in New York and.
Speaker 4: I met Lovelow in San Francisco. This is Bloomberg Technology.
Speaker 5: Coming up full coverage on guess what in video? You know it.
Speaker 3: Pushing ahead to that all important earnings after the closing.
Speaker 4: Bell, Plus Apple looks to get its doj antitrust case tossed out.
Speaker 5: We'll bring you the details and scale.
Speaker 3: AI excures one billion dollars in funding as its valuation nearly doubles to almost fourteen billion. CEO Alexander Wang going to be joining us later in the hour, but first and let's check in on these markets because there's a macro bit of data. We were waiting for the FED minutes coming a little bit later in the afternoon, and we're basically flat. Ahead of that, we're still digesting some really strong earnings that have come from the tech ecosystem. We Bracewort and Video brings us and we're up just five points on the Nasdaq. But remember new record highs after record highs, we're looking at twenty a yield just flat ahead of an all important auction. We had seen bond selling off, yields rising. Now we managed to go back into the green just a moment. Pound I look at because inflation, yes, it is cooling, but it is not cooling as much.
Speaker 5: As the market wanted to see.
Speaker 3: The pound is higher events as the US dollar, as potentially we see the Bank of England not being able to cut at the anticipated rate that the market had wanted to see. Let's move on and see what's happening in the world of crypto, because suddenly, out of nowhere we regalvanize ourselves. Potentially the latest spot etf this one being an ether an ethereum related one. Thoughts and prayers to all those who are the lawyers or the compliance folks having to get the data, having to get the documents ready. We're currently down by a tenth of a percent on ether as we speak, bened What are you watching?
Speaker 4: It has been called the mother of all earnings. It's been labeled as the single most important stock on the planet, and that when you say AI industry, you are talking about in video in video reports earnings after the bell. The stakes are incredibly high, and we want to continue to see year on year top line growth in excess of two hundred percent. I also look at the market capitalization of this company. When you think about how high the stakes are, it's a lot, right, and so what's going to happen? I know a lot of you in our bloombog technology audience look at demand signals, You look at the commentary from the hyperscalers, you look at all the news stories about the AI startups training models, whether or not they secured h one hundred clusters, and you look at some of the sovereign AI discussion that's happening. There is a lot at stake, Carrow. We're very excited about it. The expectation, though, is probably that in Vidia and Jensen knock it out of the park.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and how often do you get to see two hundred percent increases in a quarterly revenue?
Speaker 5: It ain't much.
Speaker 3: Let's talk about Nvidia now reporting earnings after that bell. Here's what in Vidia CEO Jenson Wang had to say about his outlook for AI just earlier this week with you ed.
Speaker 6: We've re engineered and reinvented every layer of computing, from the chip to the operating system, to the system servers, to the way that these data centers are put together. We want to bring this generaltive AI capability to every company in the world.
Speaker 5: From the man himself.
Speaker 3: So yeah, the key voice we want to bring on right now, Blue meg Intelligence senior analyst Man Deep saying, because there is a lot of hope and market valuation riding on these set of numbers.
Speaker 7: Yeah, look, I think they probably will guide to twenty five billion in data center revenue because that's what everyone cares about right now, and it's higher than consensus. So you know, the byside bogie here is higher than consensus. Anything in line with consense would have a negative knee jerk reaction, and they'll do it. The question to me is how much of their new black Quall chip is used for training and then what are the existing chips in terms of you know, the inferencing side of the equation, because once you pass through that lens, you will get a sense of, you know, is this sustainable in terms of triple digit growth? Probably that's not going to happen given the comps get tougher in the second half. But in terms of sustaining high double digit growth, it comes down to whether Nvidia will be a big player in inferencing, and last quarter Jensen said they have a forty percent share in inferencing. Everyone questions that, so we will be looking for update around inferencing because look, Microsoft announced a new PC with Qualcomm chip. Intel is probably doing something around their own chip. Apple will announce something around on device GENII. That's all inferencing. So Nvidia having inferencing share, it comes down to do they have a play with the hyperscale cloud vendors Amazon, Microsoft and Google using in Vidia for inferencing And the answer is they'll probably end up using their own chips for inferencing. Why would they use in video for inferencing given the SP's you know, in video commend expensive.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Monday, I appreciate that answer so much. I've been thinking a lot about generations of technology. So all of this is built on H one hundred, right, and a lot of people worry there's this air pocket where H two hundred, the next generation with high bandwidth memory is ramping up, and then you're Blackwell later in the year, you're an analyst that looks at this company. Are you concerned that the end market say, why would I buy H one hundred like the next best things coming?
Speaker 1: I'll just wait.
Speaker 7: I mean, there were rumors around that with Amazon yesterday. But look right now the market is undersupplied and everyone wants to get a hold of whatever they can for training their llms. It comes down to who are the big LLLM players. And we know that field is consolidating a number of them have actually thrown in the towel. They're getting acquired by larger you know, hyperscalers, So that field is narrowing. The second vector that drives that is the size of the model.
Speaker 1: If the size of.
Speaker 7: The model is growing, then you need more a bigger cluster and probably H two hundred or a black belt series will have more performance. In fact, Google said their TPU six is five times faster than their TPU five. What does it tell you that, you know, the performance increases are there, And if you're a hyperscaler that's buying ten billion dollars of Invidia chips, you would want to see that higher performance chip as opposed to you know, the last generation. So all that is a risk, I mean in the end, in Nvidia has a fifty percent you know, exposure to hyperscalers and these are very concentrated customers, five to six customers making a fifty percent of their data center revenue.
Speaker 3: They've still got some dependency on China. China can't have the most sophisticated chips. Will we hear anything about exposure there?
Speaker 7: I mean, we know that's going down. It's almost mid single digit of their revenue, but that's a market where they could have seen an upside. Surprises. Every company in China is training their own llms. Again, it comes down to training market. How big is the training market and how many players are there. I would say, you know, the top six llms are based out of United States and then the next five are in China. But if in Video can't sell their latest chips to the China market, that kind of takes some of the upside out at least in the near term. And we don't know how this geopolitical situation will pan out.
Speaker 4: This is a really big finale to what it has been an incredible earning season and Video after Bell and Bloomberg Intelligence senior analyst Man keep saying, great setup for us coming up on the program. We're going to talk about optimism in the crypto industry amid science of Ether ETF approval. Look, we've got Jack Mallard's Strike CEO on set New York City, Caro. What are you looking at?
Speaker 3: IM just having a kicken eye on what else is reporting after the ballad. Snowflake shares actually up about half a percentage point, but there has been anxiety that revenue growth for this particular software business is expected to slow to twenty six percent from forty eight percent last year. It says companies look prioritized, of course jenerator AI over traditional data warehousing. But where does that competitive landscape evolve for Snowflake. We wait to see if revenue can indeed hit the seven hundred and eighty six million dollars anticipated.
Speaker 5: This is Bloomberg Technology.
Speaker 4: Okay, So I'm looking at Ether and there's been a lot of energy and ether over the last five days, just like bitcoin trading. Twenty four to seven, Bloomberg reported, citing sources, that the SEC had instructed the New York Stock Exchange and the cbo WE to update regulatory filings basically that relate to changing rules that would make the approval of a spot ether ETF more likely, and the market kind of got caught by surprise as if it wasn't priced in. And like Caro said at the top of the show, you've got compliance officers and chief legal officers everywhere going, wait, this isn't supposed to happen this quickly. And we learned from our bitcoin experience it ain't linear, it doesn't go in a straight line, but people are now excited about it. And you look at the performance of the two right ether totalized version of the Ethereum blockchain, the kind of underpinnings of this industry, the gaps closing with Bitcoin a little bit, and Cara, I guess the point I'm making is that the market's kind of surprised, and I guess you and I might be a bit surprised that we're talking about this in this context. And looking at the chart behind me, tell.
Speaker 3: You what many people feel really moved the market. It was actually Bluemberg intelligence about tunis raising its probability that the spot ether ETF was going to come and the market we've done that amazing. Well, we're going to talk about someone who's we need to the bitcoin scene and what he thinks about the Ethereo METF as well. Strike CEO Jack Maner is always great to have you on the show. Thanks coming in to the studio. You, of course very much focused on functionality and building upon Bitcoin. What do you think though of a ETF yet more institution money potentially coming into the smart contract side of the equation.
Speaker 8: Yeah, I'm not a fan of any other cryptocurrency outside of Bitcoin, but I think there is a hilarious story as to why this is happening. I mean, I was laughing out loud. It looks like someone went to Gary Gensler and said, hey, buddy, you're not in charge anymore. And you'd have to think why that was. It's because banks and Wall Street are making money.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 8: Banks get a really bad deal in today's market, is they have to buy bonds that are performing awfully, and all of a sudden they get a free market in this independent crypto thing and they're actually making money. These markets have life, These markets go up when governments debase their currency. These things perform well. And they got to take of bitcoin and it was the best performing product that they've ever had, and they're like, oh man, how many other pieces of crap are there out there? That we can list as ETFs, and I literally think that's what's happening. It's a way better business to launch crypto ETFs than it is to buy bonds right now based on the macro environment. So I think someone said, hey, Gary, sorry, buddy, despite you thinking that these things are securities, we need to make money, and that's what happened.
Speaker 3: It's funny that you bring up Gary against because, of course the House of Representatives currently taking on a bill at the moment as to whether it should be the sec at AOL overseeing crypto products more generally, or whether it should be shifted. But to your point, whether or not Ethereum does indeed manage to become spot traded with an ETF and.
Speaker 5: Money coming in. There's a real organization.
Speaker 3: Of some of the documents because they don't want to see staking involved in any way. How do you think about what that means for an investment opportunity?
Speaker 8: I listen again, I'm a bitcoin guy. I think all of this is a distraction and a load and nonsense. I think what they're trying to do is walk the fine line of how can we justify banks and Wall Street making more revenue on this industry? Because with all passive investing and central banks really trying to price control everything, this market has life, and if it has life, it means there's an opportunity to make money. Volatility is a good thing. People on Wall Street like volatility, so they're trying to find a way to justify and make happy in peace with existing securities laws while giving these Wall Street and these big banks like JP Morgan an ability to monetize this space and actually make money because the business they're in right now is awful. I mean, you're needing to buy bonds, lend money to the government and not get paid the growth that they're e's eve been.
Speaker 3: Doing quite well. I mean, there are certain parts of the finance. I get your point. The financial institutions still been doing quite well in the rest of the markets. But there's yeah, ebrtually a role for banks to play here, which could also be going through bigulary.
Speaker 8: Yeah, but I think listen, the S and P five hundred is dominated by what like the top seven companies, and they're all tech companies. Tech companies don't care about the cost of capital. They don't need business loans, Facebook, Apple, these company copanies can finance their business with their existing cash flows, and so the rest of the world is in a pain of hurt and banks right now their whole job is to take our deposits and buy bonds, and these bonds are getting slaughtered, and all of a sudden they're like, Wow, here's a market with life. Here's a market with retail flows. Here's a market that has volatility and that is actually reactive to the outside world. Hey, how many of these crypto things exist?
Speaker 5: Hey?
Speaker 8: Gary, except them all? So I wouldn't be surprised if we got a Subaduchie coin. What did I say on here? We should get a Subaduchie ETF soon. Seriously, I really think they're just trying to actize it. Jack.
Speaker 4: Let's go back to basics here. There will be members of the Bloomberg tetlas the audience that push back on I'm paraphrasing a spot eth ETF being the next listing of a piece of crap. There's a standard tagline in our Bloomberg Cabaret coverage, which is the ether is a native token of ethereum, and ethereum is the most widely commercially used blockchain. What would be your response to that standard line?
Speaker 8: Sure, okay, and I apologize to all those I offended. Here's my point. Bitcoin is the only money within the cryptocurrency space. It's designed and treated as a monetary asset. So then what do I think ethereum is. I think ethereum is a technology, which you actually just displayed in your introduction and definition of it. Ethereum appeals to developers. They change the monetary policy and the rules all of the time. However, the market often conflates it as a money, conflates it as a commodity, strike as a technology, and video is a technology. These things are regulated by the SEC. These things have cash flows, These things have founders, directors, people that set the roadmap. And so when I say a piece of crap, maybe I'm being a bit aggressive, but I think it's distinctly different from bitcoin. I think bitcoin can be the world reserve asset, the one money that we use to store our time and energy. And I think ethereum can be a technology which competes within video. But then it gets confusing. It's like, well, what's their cash flows? Who founded it, who sets the direction? Why does it change so much? And when it does change, why does it change? I think that there's a lot of intentional confusion going on in the story, and as a bitcoiner, it frustrates me because I'm trying to fix the money, fix the world, and so I think that there's a lot the market has to sort out as to what it actually is and how to value it.
Speaker 3: Jack Man has come back with your messaging and come on the show from San Francisco as well. Strike CEO Jack maners on all things crypto. I mean, while we do have some breaking news coming from the UK, there has been a lot of rumor swirling about whether or not we'll see a summer election called by Rishie Sunak, the current Prime Minister UK. Sunac will call a summer election this afternoon, that's being reported by The Guardian. He is going to call that election for July, so the Guardian reports now.
Speaker 5: Thus far, Bloomberg has.
Speaker 3: Been reporting that there has been repeated affirmation that there will be an election in twenty twenty four in the second half of the year.
Speaker 5: The nuance is exactly when that second half.
Speaker 3: Is politics out of the United Kingdom, Rishi Sunac, the Prime Minister, likely to call an election for as soon as July, as being reported by the Guardian, now we know that there's been plenty of rumors, particularly accentuated by the inflation report that came out of the UK today, which showed, even though it was higher than the market and anticipated, inflation is slowing closer to where the Bank of England's key rate of two percent.
Speaker 5: Level target is ed.
Speaker 3: This is notable because there has been much frustration with a way in which Rissi Sunac, leader of the Conservative Party, Prime Minister of the UK, has been able to inject or not the economic recovery into over the UK. The labor the alternative party in the UK needs by many points in terms of how perhaps voters would lean, and notable that he wants to well accelerate any sort of putting them to the polls well.
Speaker 4: According to the Guardians reporting July would be sooner than the sort of general wisdom which it was that Prime Minister Sunak would wait until the autumn. His consistent line has been that there would be a vote in the second half of the year. But the rationale or thinking that he'd wait to the autumn is that there is a cost of living crisis in the United Kingdom. Basically and strategically, he and the Conservative Party the thinking was would hold into the autumn to let that cost of living crisis dissipate somewhat ease off and then have more favorable environment. But you're completely right that if you go off the polls, which one always approaches with caution, then the Conservatives do lead trail the opposition Labor Party.
Speaker 3: We can go out to Lizzie Burdon, who's over in the United Kingdom covering the political storytelling there, and at the moment, Lizzie, it looks as though the Guardian is giving us a month at least that we could see a general election. It's being cited by some senior those close to Rashid Zunac himself.
Speaker 9: And lead up downing too. They always are being rightly takes in Oxford twenty twenty two when Boris Johnson said down and Ricky see that came in put somewhere in between that look all day, which you see how this has the opportunity to deny that you're going before the July elected. He's had unto opportunity and he's reflected at the champ having It is ongoing currently the Letios administ and has been for the past twenty a few minutes it's old executive thing. We've come when he put a Pilar Bailer who is only on the grounds for about two hours, and the defense granted that. The gold tip states for I've been twenty to a big announcement, and here he had to gude.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Lizzie, Sorry, sorry to interrupts you. Here we're getting Lizzie, give me a second. Here, we're getting some more headlines on the Bloomberg terminal, this time Sky News reporting that a UK general election will be on July fourth, a more specific date than the Guardian was giving. We now have two reports from two different U outlets or news organizations that there will be a general election in July. I want to bring in Bonnie Quinn and talking a little bit more about the UK economy here, Vonnie, because this is an issue of timing and strategy. July is sooner than expected, and it's sooner than expected because Rishi Sunac faces a difficult domestic economic picture that will inform voters minds exactly.
Speaker 9: Ed.
Speaker 10: Well, let's talk about that inflation data that came in earlier, coming into five point three percent, which was higher than most analysts and economists were anticipating. Services inflation two point three services inflation at five point nine percent, which really shows that inflation is entrenched. Rishi Sunac would have been hoping for that to come down and for there to have been a few more months of data showing better inflation figures.
Speaker 5: He's not getting that.
Speaker 10: Interestingly, the Bank of England, which had been expected to maybe make it cut in June. Banks have been pushing their estimates for.
Speaker 5: That first cut out.
Speaker 10: In fact, just the most recent bank to do that was Goldman sachsing that's most likely August now for there to be a snap election, that makes life a lot easier, right because if there were to be a snap election in July, as some outlets are reporting, that would mean that June would be a very contentious time to make a raid cut. If the cut isn't going to happen anyway, as most banks are now anticipating, well, that makes it maybe easier to get an election out of the way. However, Chancellor Jeremy Hunt has a difficult job in that position then, because if he's not going to be the Chancellor anymore than it falls to possibly Labor's Rachel Reeves. That's the person that markets are anticipating would enter a number eleven in the event of a snap election with a better Labor result, and then it's her bag, right, And the IMF, as we know, has been calling for raid cuts this year and more next year, trying to bring to that bank rate all the way down to about three and a half percent by the end of twenty twenty five in order to relieve this cost of living crisis which is ongoing now three years ed.
Speaker 3: And let's just talk about Rachel Reeves, who of course is the Shadow Chancellor, meaning she's in the opposition party of Labor led by Seki Stama, and they have been well ahead in terms of the polls thus far, and the Labor leader has indeed been recently launching his six Pledges first steps to guiding the UK going forward.
Speaker 5: And it's not just all about here and now of inflation.
Speaker 3: It's a lot about healthcare, access to NHS waiting lists, and of course that comes down to funding.
Speaker 5: Vonny.
Speaker 3: More broadly, would it be the viewpoint from the economy here that Labour would in any way change.
Speaker 10: The trajectory, Well, changing the trajectory is one thing.
Speaker 5: Promises are another thing, Caroline.
Speaker 10: So for sure Rachel Reeves has constantly said that you would increase government spending in order to help along the lines of healthcare, national insurance and pensions in particular, which is going to be a very contentious issue for the next chancellor. That said, the IMF has said you can't do it. You can neither decrease taxes nor increase government spending. The economy won't be able to take it. You are risking growth. And remember the UK just came out of recession.
Speaker 5: In the first quarter.
Speaker 10: It grew point six percent and that was a big relief to the authorities, but that could be in jeopardy if there were to be more spending.
Speaker 5: At least according to the IMF.
Speaker 3: Buddy Quinn, there were the latest.
Speaker 4: Welcome back to Blindow Technology, Ed love Low in San Francisco and.
Speaker 5: Caroline Hied in New York.
Speaker 3: Let's check in on these markets because there is a wait and see feel to the broader indexes. Today we've hit record high after record high on the SMP, on the Dow, and indeed on our trusted tech benchmarks. I'm looking at the NASDAT one hundred currently holding on to gains up two tens percent as the all important set of numbers come out after the mall in Nvidia, key to market capitalization, key to the optimism around AI.
Speaker 5: For the rest of the benchmarks, I'm looking.
Speaker 3: What's happening with the US tenure yield basically training Flattenman. We've got a big twenty year auction and also fed minutes coming to really pass through for the market. That's at lunchtime basically up about a tenth of a percent. That's as we do potentially anticipate yet another spot ETF, this one linked to ethereum. We'll see if that continues. Let's move on and have a look at what's happening from a macro perspecture.
Speaker 5: Across the pond. Great British pound.
Speaker 3: Currently still holding onto gains. Why was it up versus the US dollar because the CPI print the consumer price in next coming in actually hotter than was anticipated. Yes, it's down from an excess of three percent, but two point three percent was more than the market wanted to see for anticipating some sort of Bank of England rate cut.
Speaker 5: So the pound is up on some macro data.
Speaker 3: But there's also the points that being driven home from a political perspective that we could see a general election held as soon as July fourth, currently being reported by sky News. We'll have more on that in a minute, but what we got on the.
Speaker 4: Tech Another top story on the Bloomberg terminon dot com is Apple. It plans to ask a court to throw out the DOJ's case against the iPhone maker, making a long shot bid to ward off what promises to be a lengthy legal battle, joining US Bloomberg Intelligence, Sandalist Santa Agrana. You know, this is a case followed closely, largely procedural update that Apple saying this is what we believe help us out.
Speaker 1: How do you price that anrag?
Speaker 11: Yeah. I think this is one of the more important things, and people don't talk about it because frankly speaking, you know, services revenue, as you know, is the one that's driving Apple's growth right now, and a large portion of that is the app store revenue. And if there are things that will be done to damage that and it's going to have an impact on Apple, so far we haven't seen it because right now it's only a little bit changes in the EU, but any changes in the US, you know, could could have a material impact on that number. So I think Apple will do whatever it can to protect its ecosystem, and as you said, it's going to be a lengthy legal battle.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we're not on how it seems as though it is rare for these sorts of things to be thrown out at the behest of certain companies. Em though we did see Meta indeed manage to persuade on that FDC focused previously. But ad more broadly, is Apple doing enough to change the tune when it comes to AI? For example, we've actually seen shares do particularly well post earnings.
Speaker 11: Yeah, I think, you know, I would give a little bit of that credit to Mark Government for breaking news on you know, their partnership with open ai or potential partnership with open Ai and the ongoing talks that they have and even Google, So you know, one of the things we I think it's it's pretty Most people will agree that Apple has not been at the forefront of any new GENI developments. So the question is, well, what are they going to do when they when they have to and when when the June tenth event comes in, if they are going to announce a partnership with open ai, with with Google that can help them to change their software make it a little bit better, and based on that we see a refresh cycle improved for the iPhone. I think it's going to be good for Apple, So I think I think it is. It is going in the right direction, but we have a long way to go before we can say that they have they have a good position in that market, An.
Speaker 3: Rag Rana, We always appreciate it coming from Boston glmeg Intelligence. Meanwhile, let's focus in on what companies are driving forward. AI Salesforce launching Einstein co Pilot for merchants and marketers to help companies basically personalized customer engagement across marketing commerce sales services. Well, thanks of course, Generator AI. Let's bring in Salesforce AI CEO Clara she who is traveling around post the VivaTech conference in Paris, and I'm really interested as to what you're setting forth a Clara, how are you trying to pit yourself against the competition of being able for your clients to use their own data in a more sophisticated manner.
Speaker 1: Thank you so much for having me.
Speaker 12: First of all, we are thrilled to be hosting our Salesforce Connections event this week in Chicago for commerce merchants and marketers and to be announcing just amazing innovation around Einstein Copilot as well as Einstein Personalization and now data cloud for commerce. I mean, if you think about it, Caroline, you know, for the last twenty five years, customers have been bringing their trusted data to salesforce and building their campaigns, their transaction data, all of their business logic and salesforce, and now they can unlock.
Speaker 8: That data through AI.
Speaker 12: And it's very different than going to chat GBT, going to another AI system that may not be secure, that may not have their trusted data, and getting results that may not make sense for their business, versus one that's completely grounded in their organization's data and processes.
Speaker 4: Clara, Hey, it's dead in San Francisco. I'm really interested in the co pilot for merchants. Right, we seem to be increasingly moving toward basically the AI agent where the human being or several human beings interact with this agent just in the normal course of their roles. How quickly do you see the adoption happening and where is it happening?
Speaker 12: Well, it's just amazing to see the response so far for Einstein Copilot in both sales and in customer service, and for merchants. And marketers, it's going to be equally powerful. What we're seeing is that AI is able to augment employees and you know, think about a commerce manager that has to set up a digital storefront or wants to launch a personalized commerce campaign. Now they're able to do so with the help of this powerful copilot that has all of their inventory data, that understands all of the best practices and is able to personalize to that specific customer their transaction history and their preferences.
Speaker 3: Clara, it's really interesting you brought up chat GPT is the potential of what someone else could be typing into because ultimately Einstein GBT correct me if I'm wrong is a mixture of public private AI models, and you actually have a partnership with open AI. So talk to us about the competitive or friendome situation you have with Microsoft and open AIS partnership.
Speaker 12: Well, we really believe in customer choice, and it's also very early in the LM in the large language model game, so it's too soon to call a winner. And so the way that we've built our Einstein one platform is it's an open architecture and so customers can choose their favorite LM, whether it's one of our own Salesforce homegrown domain specific llms like Flogen and Cogen, or it's from one of our trusted model partners including Google, Anthropic, Amazon, Microsoft Open Ai, and then customers can also bring their own model. So it's really really about adding value on top. It's our Einstein trust layer, providing data security, data privacy, zero retention prompts to ensure that none of the context that gets put into a prompt is ever stored or learned by a model, whether that's ours or a third party model. It's providing an audit, trail, citations, and really that trust that customers need as a price of admission for AI in the enterprise.
Speaker 4: Clara media reports suggest that the Informatica talks have broken down with Salesforce. Maybe Salesforce is back on the hunt. You know, from an M and A perspective, you lead the AI teams at Salesforce. How are you thinking about using acquisitions to build out your AI offering?
Speaker 12: Now I'm not able to comment on that, but what I can say is that we're seeing phenomenal explosive growth in our Salesforce data cloud and what that does is it allows customers to bring together all of their trapped siloed data from across the enterprise. You think about you know, for any business of even a small business, has multiple different systems, multiple databases, data warehouses, and data lakes. And now we're able to connect that data in a seamless manner.
Speaker 1: And if a.
Speaker 12: Customer is using a Snowflake or a Microsoft Fabric or an Amazon Google Big Query, they're able to bring all of that data, harmonize it, cleanse it, and activate that for use by all of their sales, service marketing and merchant teams.
Speaker 4: Salesforce AI CEO Clarocy. Great to have you back on the program. Thank you. Let's get back to the breaking news from the United Kingdom. The BBC is reporting that Prime Minister Rihi soun Act is currently informing his cabinet of his intention to hold a general election on July fourth, and that Parliament will be dissolved next week. Of course, when the parliament is dissolved, it's the official term we use for the end of a parliament, and legally a general election must follow. The pound in the currency markets relatively stable following all these headlines. In the bomb market's guilts also steady. The expectation you're looking at a live shot of number ten Downing Street. Many media outlets reporting that we will get a statement from Prime Minister Rishi Sunak of the Conservative Party at some point today. Stay with us, we will have all of the latest. This is Bloomberg Technology Scaled AI, as startup that helps top tech companies improve data used to build AI products, is raising one billion dollars in one of the largest financing deals of the year. The funding round now values the company nearly fourteen billion dollars. Joining us is Alexander Wang, Scales founder and CEO. And I look at the new investors, the venture arms of AMD, Intel, Cisco's in their Amazon. What does that tell me? That's very interesting, this sort of strategic backing you've got beyond just the size and scope of the round.
Speaker 1: First of all, thanks for having me.
Speaker 13: I think one of the key things of our role in the AI industry is that we really are an infrastructure provider. The three pillars of AI ultimately are data, compute, and algorithms.
Speaker 1: Folks like open Ai solve.
Speaker 13: The algorithmic piece, looks like in Nvidia solve the compute piece, and our role at scale is to solve the data pillar.
Speaker 1: For AI.
Speaker 13: Our data foundry today powers nearly every leading large iguage model, including those from Open Ei, Meta, Microsoft, and Video.
Speaker 1: And so ultimately, one of our goals with this.
Speaker 13: Financing ground was really to ensure that we can continue serving the entire AI eCos system. So you look at a lot of the strategic and corporate investors that we brought on board, it really was to sort of bring together the entire ecosystem and multiple layers of the stack.
Speaker 1: So this includes other folks.
Speaker 13: In the kind of infrastructure layer folks like Nvidia and the Intel, as well as folks in the model layer, folks like Amazon or Meta, and then lastly folks of the application layer, folks like Cisco or service Now. And so our goal ultimately was to ensure that we can continue serving the entirety of the.
Speaker 1: AI ecosystem as a level infrastructure.
Speaker 13: Provider by sort of like bringing together the entire cobord.
Speaker 5: What about Google or Microsoft?
Speaker 3: Are they interested is that for the later dates or can we only go with a certain number of each player on each system?
Speaker 13: You know, it's always it's always like hurting cats with these with these with these corporations. But we're you know, our goal is to continue serving the entire ecosystem. We want to ensure that artificial intelligence on the whole is able to is able to accomplish the incredible potential you know, our data engine. Our goal with our data engine is to generate all the frontier data needed to fuel us to AGI and potentially even beyond.
Speaker 1: You know, our view, one of the ways we think.
Speaker 13: About it is, what are all the problems in data then need you be solved to get us from GPD four to GPD ten, And how do we ensure that we have the needs of production to do all of that?
Speaker 3: And let's talk about the means of production, about the action of labeling such data, because I know that you've really been thinking a lot about AI safety, the development the biases, ensuring that that's something that's thought about within your business and the moods that you serve.
Speaker 5: But there was a lot of concern back.
Speaker 3: In twenty twenty three about who you employ to label data and a lot of that work being done in the so called global self. How you're paying them, at what rate you're paying them. How is that being solved now by technology?
Speaker 13: Alexander, Yeah, Ultimately, you know, we believe that the future of AI data rests on three principles data abundance, frontier data, and measurement and evaluation. In terms of abundance, I mean, I think this is one of the clearer areas. We need to ensure that we are able to build a data foundry that ushers.
Speaker 1: In an era of data abundance. You know, these models are.
Speaker 13: Becoming increasingly data hungry due to the scaling laws. Every successive generation models requires exponentially more data, and we need to ensure that we are able to build the systems and the means of production that allows to not resign ourselves to data scarcity. A lot of the key for us comes into the second bullet point, though, frontier data. As we develop progressively more and more powerful AI systems, we need to be building frontier data, which is always pushing the boundaries of AI capabilities towards you know, more advanced areas such as complex reasoning agents, multimodality, multi linguality, and more. This production of frontier data requires human experts all around the world, and so you know, our view is that humans and expertise are critical component of this production process.
Speaker 4: Alex Aram But August twenty nineteen, you were on a previous iteration of this show, you were twenty two years old and you've just done a one hundred million dollar Series C. Fast forward to today, you've just announced the European HQ in London, you've valued at fourteen billion dollars.
Speaker 5: What's that like?
Speaker 4: How do you feel?
Speaker 13: You know, I think ultimately the most gratifying piece for me and I think for the entire company has really been how far AI has come in that timeframe. You know, in twenty nineteen, it was the very primordial early days of what's now called generator of AI. You know, even on that program, we didn't talk at all about about the exciting things that OPENING or other companies were doing.
Speaker 1: We were talking about self driving cars.
Speaker 13: If you fast forward today, we've gone from GPT two to GPD four and beyond work four and four to zero and beyond.
Speaker 1: We have AI.
Speaker 13: Systems that are significantly more capable, and I think we see a path to AI really improving everyone's lives in a way that was more of a pectoring back in twenty nineteen. And so my hope is that, you know, five years later, if I'm back on the show, that you know, we can we're looking back on the technology and seeing even further development in art fial intelligence, even further application of the technology, even further impact from ultimately.
Speaker 1: What we view is the most exciting technology of our time.
Speaker 3: I have it sooner than five years time SCALEAI founder and CEO Alexander Wang, thank you for joining us on the latest funding news. Meanwhile, we've got more funding news for you. And also in the world of artificial intelligence, deep l announcing a three hundred million dollar investment today. There's a two billion dollar valuation for the company that provides AI language solutions and it's doing that too more than one.
Speaker 5: Hundred thousand customers.
Speaker 3: H CEO and founder Jarek Kutilowski joins us now and Eric tell us about DPL and what you're.
Speaker 5: Providing to your enterprise clients.
Speaker 3: Because there's been a lot of excitement about the translation capabilities of the latest chat GVT four.
Speaker 5: Oh how are you different?
Speaker 14: I think thank you for having me. I think it's amazing how translation actually is the first frontier at which AI has been excelling since since quite a few years. And DEEPEL has been found in twenty seventeen and we've been kind of researching on how this translation technology can be as reliable and accurate and on the point all of the time so that it suits the needs of the enterprises. It's really not about kind of translating this menu in in a restaurant where you're in a foreign country. It's really about enabling companies to just go and send the emails to their customers in the respective languages of those which those are speaking, and kind of really going global as quickly as possible as they can with as much efficiency as possible.
Speaker 3: And so you have been managing to scale your business clients, your government clients with this offering, and I'm interested as to what they're for the new round the money will be doing. How will you be beefing up? Is it talent that you need right now? Is it marketing and getting other companies to know your story?
Speaker 14: I think it's it's it's basically all of that. I mean, the company has been investing on all of those fronts. We are really a company that is investing very heavily on the research side. We're running our own models and has been have been doing so since since the inception of the company.
Speaker 1: But at the same time, the.
Speaker 14: Type of customers that we're working with all of those enterprises that actually need this kind of technology, they need to we need to work with them, We need to enable them to use this brand new AI uh and and help them and in doing so. And that's that's that's a very large part of where our investments go to.
Speaker 4: What are the challenges with building language AI. You know you're keen underscore it's not just sort of simple translation, but it must mean training based on multiple data sets and calling on multiple data sets and the inference side. Just explain the challenge.
Speaker 14: Yeah, it's it's it's first and foremost, it's all about the accuracy and the quality. I mean, you want to be sure and you want to be confident that whenever you're communicating, like the right point comes across. And it's and it's really not only about this accuracy itself, but it's also about the fluency of the of the language you want to convince. You want to make sure that you're being understood as a professional. And for that you don't only need models that are great at getting the facts right, but you also have to go beyond that and have all of that language fluency in that. And that is then that makes really of the research work that goes both on the data side that goes into the algorithms, but also into the feedback loop and making sure that that our human editors, our translators are during the quality of of whatever comes out of the of the I models.
Speaker 4: You're joining us from Cologne, Germany. We've just shown a graphic with all of the customers that you have, thousands and thousands of them.
Speaker 1: Where are you growing fastest?
Speaker 4: Are you making money?
Speaker 1: What does growth look like?
Speaker 2: Yeah, we are.
Speaker 14: We are a global company from the very beginning on, and I think that's that's that's pretty understandable given given the product it is.
Speaker 1: It is really truly one.
Speaker 14: Of the one of the very international products out there, and key markets for US are Germany, Japan, and the US, so it can't be more distributed than that. But the US is a is a pretty strong foothold for us right now. We've we've just opened an office a few months ago in Austin and and will be working more and more with WES companies that want to expand their footprint globally.
Speaker 4: Dep l C and founder yere At Katilovski. Great to have you on the program here on Bloomberg Technology. Do you have a place in the AIPC market.
Speaker 14: I'm back next year.
Speaker 6: There's exactly there are a bunch of bunch of the video GPUs and delpcs, del workstations. All of our GPUs have the same tensor cores that are running in h one hundreds in the cloud, and so every one of our GPUs use.
Speaker 14: AI to do its work.
Speaker 8: AI, of course is going to transform gaming in video.
Speaker 4: CEO Jensen Huang being saved by his mate Michael Dell and I guess, Caro, the question is move beyond data centers. When does a video getting the CPU game in PCs and go for Intel's market.
Speaker 5: That was just what I heard.
Speaker 3: Come back next year to hear ed and I know you will be back there next year. But now we brace ourselves on what the earnings are like after the bell today, Then can they eclipse what the market wants to see and more than two hundred percent increase in revenue?
Speaker 5: We wait, we watch.
Speaker 3: We also anticipate a statement coming from UK Prime Minister Rishi Sunak as soon as the next five minutes.
Speaker 5: Tune in. This is the Bloomberg technology