Speaker 1: You are listening to the Dan Patrick Show on Fox Sports Radio. It's great to be back.
Speaker 2: I hope you're joining us wherever you're joining us, whether you're listening or you're watching on TV, or maybe you're doing both gangs all here, well, not the entire gang. Seaton is in Green Bay already. Fritzi's here, the Minister of Humor, Marvin is here, Pauli's here, the backroom guys as well. Coming up, we'll talk to mel kiper mel kiper draft expert. Chris Haynes, senior NBA insider, will join us a little bit later on as well. Best and worst of the weekend, what you saw that you liked you didn't like. We will be doing our show in Green Bay starting on Wednesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, and first come, first serve as far as a studio audience. Once we get to capacity, then we will have to close the doors. We'll do a meet and greet on Wednesday night at the Bar on Home Grown Way. That'll be from four to six and there's no admission. Feed there eight seven seven three DP Show email address Dpadanpatrick dot com, Twitter handle it DP show. Good morning if you're watching on Peacock that is our streaming partner. Download the app if you haven't done so. Stat of the Day, as always, brought to you by Panini America, the official trading cards of the program. In this first hour, brought to you by the wonderful folks at Maco. Your car could use a little TLC. Well that's what Mako does. Bring your car back to life. Affordable paint, joms, light collision repairs. Get a free estimate today. Uh oh, better get Maco basketball yesterday. Over the weekend, the Pacers are a sneaky good team. I know they're facing a banged up Bucks team without Dame Lillard, but they win nuggets and overtime over the Clippers. The Knicks, I thought they were going to lose to the Pistons, and then there was a twenty one to nothing run and the Knicks survive Game one, the Timberwolves over the Lakers. And then yesterday the Thunder beat the Grizz by fifty one points, the largest game one victory margin of victory in NBA history. Fifty one points the largest in a playoff game since twenty fifteen. And you're watching the game, and I felt bad for Mike Breen, he's the play by play voice, and I'm going, Mike, you're gonna have to do some Phil You're gonna have to tell some stories with Richard Jefferson here and Doris Burke because this game is gonna get out of hand early. The Lakers somehow were surprised at the physicality of the Timberwolves. I never understood that. I don't know if I'd ever admit that where I go. Yeah, dang man, they play physical. Luca played well, but the rest of the team didn't hold up there under the bargain, and Minnesota came after them and didn't let up.
Speaker 3: And picked up the victory there.
Speaker 2: But you know, you can't lose games at home, can't, not first round, can't. And you can't be surprised at the physicality of a team there, but they were. But Luca did have a respectable game, but you know, Minnesota had a balance to attack here. Oh, Colaoma City, they're a cute story. They're no longer a cute story. They're a real story. And I think sometimes we get caught up and he goes, oh that team out there, and no, Oklaoma City, Oh look at them. How many wins do they have. They went sixty eight and fourteen. They dominated. You got some other players on that team. I know they're going to have the MVP in shay Jalen Williams is a rising star. Ched Holmgren maybe a future Defensive Player of the Year winner. They got a really good bench. The Thunder no longer a cute story. They're a problem. They are. They're a real problem. And sometimes you'll see teams I mentioned this with Houston. Houston lost to Golden State. There are certain teams that go into the playoffs and it's almost like it's a fact finding mission. It's like a school trip. You're like, let's go see what that's like. Hey, let's go into the playoffs and see what that's like, and then we can kind of collect our thoughts and then get ready to go into next season. Now, I'm not going to say that they're not going to beat Golden State. I will be surprised if they beat Golden State, only because of Golden State has been there. I mean, if you look at just Steph Curry, Steph has more playoff games than the entire roster. Then you throw in Draymond Green, then you throw in Jimmy Butler, then you throw in some of these bench guys, then you throw in Steve Kerr. It's an incredible advantage for them. And you saw with Steph and Playoff Jimmy, they're probably the best tandem in the NBA. And I thought, you know, Luca and Lebron the way they were playing at the end of the regular season, and I would probably still side with them. But probably the general consensus is Steph and playoff Jimmy the best tandem. But the Cabs rolled, they beat the Heat, but the Warriors beating the Rockets. I'm not surprised at that at all. It's just different basketball, and there's certain teams. Oklahoma City, they were on a fact finding mission last year, then all of a sudden, you go, Okay, what did we learn? Go down through history a lot of times you have to lose to learn how to win. What does it take? What do we do, what didn't we do? What do they do better than us? And I think that's what you're seeing with Okacie Cleveland, big question mark there. They were great, best team in the East during the regular season. The general consensus is what the Boston Celtics, and rightfully so, that team is so deep. It feels like everybody can shoot a three. You could probably get the trainer out there and he might be able to be respectable from three point range. Everybody and then an oh, by the way, Derek White, you know Olympian. See that's the dangerous part of this. When Jalen Brown and Jason Tatum aren't great but they're great, that's when you win championships.
Speaker 4: Yes, Marvin, have we ever disrespected a team like the Boston Celtics, And I don't mean that like purposefully, but we didn't talk about them at all all season long and they were the defending champs with the best starting five in the NBA.
Speaker 2: But it might be a compliment that we've just taken them for granted, that there's certain players and certain teams that they get elevated and then we go, Okay, we told that story. Now let's move on, because that's really we're in the storytelling business.
Speaker 3: What's the story you're telling about the Celtics this year?
Speaker 5: Man?
Speaker 2: Can if the good Rod Deep Ross, how about Peyton Pritchard? You know, I mean, you just we run out of ways to describe somebody, and a lot of these teams you don't look at where they are in the playoff seedings.
Speaker 3: The same thing with San Antonio.
Speaker 2: People would get caught up in oh man, are you going to be the number one seed and have home court advantage.
Speaker 3: Spurs didn't care.
Speaker 2: They were like, we used the regular season to get ready for the postseason. Certain teams are like, we used the regular season to make the postseason. Boston uses the regular season just like the Patriots, Like they used the first three or four games of the regular season for their training camp, like this is our preseason, and then they use the regular season to get ready for the postseason. And that's a compliment to them. All Right, Seaton's not here today, So I'm guessing, Todd, are you doing the poll question? I do have the odds to win the NBA Championship? OKAC is your favorite, Then it's the Celtics, and then a distant third the Cabs. Really distant fourth is the Warriors, and then even further down the list is the Lakers. It does feel like it's a two race, two team race. But the Cavaliers. Cavaliers are a lot of fun. And I was watching last night. You might go, who's this guy who's lighting up the Miami heat Ti Jerome.
Speaker 3: Well, Ty Jerome played for Virginia.
Speaker 2: Remember when he was playing, and McLevin and I went back and forth because he goes, this Virginia team isn't good. I said, man, this they can shoot, they can shoot. And Ti Jerome, who's that? I said, I don't know who he is, but I know he can shoot. All of a sudden, Ti Jerome pops up and you go, I'll be damned. It took a while, but he had a couple of games this year that got on the radar and I went that dude and they went at Tyler Hero last night. It was not nice. It was not nice. That's where you needed parental guidance because I'm going, damn. Everybody wanted Tyler Hero guardian last night.
Speaker 3: But Ti Jerome went at him. And you know they did a great job. Great job.
Speaker 6: Yes, Pault, I had to look up Ti Jerome. I couldn't lie to you. He's been on four teams in six years. He's played six seasons and only started ten games.
Speaker 3: Yeah, wow, but he can shoot. He can.
Speaker 2: He got some buckets. He had twenty eight points and the win. That's the most by any Cavalier in their first NBA Playoff game since Kyrie had thirty against the Celtics back in twenty fifteen. Stat of the day, sat of the day, that past stat of the day, stat of the day.
Speaker 3: Here comes that what stat of the.
Speaker 2: Day, Thank you, Will Ferrell. Stat of the day brought to you by Panini America. And you try not to get caught up in one loss, you know, I like that. Ja Moran says, you know, we won't play this way next time around against Oka. See wow, stop the presses. You won't play that badly. You're gonna play a little better. It's almost one of those where he could say, if they lose by fifteen, see I told you we weren't gonna play that bad. We're improving here. But that was there was no pulse. Yeah, the body that there was no pulse. There was a corpse. But sometimes you'll have these big blowouts and then you know, these teams flip this switch on you, and maybe you have that with Memphis. I don't see it, just because I think, OKAYC knows, let's be great. We were great, Continue to be great. Don't take anybody for granted, and don't be surprised the Lakers were surprised.
Speaker 3: That's what surprises me. Wait a minute, guys, come on, you.
Speaker 2: Know, and it's not like Memphis is Minnesota is Memphis Minnesota. They can play for a title, and that's where you just you can't be goofing around here. Take something for granted, Yes, Mark.
Speaker 4: Lakers, Hey, this is the team that beat the Denver Nuggets last year in the playoffs. They took Yokij out. So why are we surprised that nas Reed and Julius Randall are being physical with them? Did they not see the Scotland report?
Speaker 2: But then JJ Riddick says hey, and Lebron said that, hey, we were kind of surprised at their physicality. They should be no surprises right now. You've played together long enough. You got you know, Luca playing well. And I really think that they have a chance to play, you know, for in the Western Conference finals. I mean, I really do. But it comes down to defense. But I didn't think physicality was going to be the difference. But it was all right, uh poll questions don.
Speaker 3: We're gonna roll with this one from PAULI. I think the Thunder will win the NBA title.
Speaker 7: Sure too early.
Speaker 6: Okay, y'all, sir, or too early.
Speaker 2: Okay, I don't think they're better than the Celtics.
Speaker 7: Think.
Speaker 3: I think they're a great team.
Speaker 2: This is one of those where they don't get a lot of publicity, just like the Cavs didn't get a lot. You know, we the media steers you where they want to steer you. They guide you. So when you turn on ESPN or Fox, they're going to guide you to where the Lakers are. They're going to guide you any.
Speaker 3: Place else maybe the Knicks.
Speaker 2: Maybe they're going to guide you to well, Memphis because Jaw's in trouble. Where else are they guiding you? Therefore, you really don't have a unless you watch these games. You don't have a good opinion, a strong opinion on a team because you're like, oh, okay, see I see the highlights. Yeah, all right, SGA and he's really good. But that's all you know. And then you'll see some of these other teams and you'll go, oh, wow, I was watching the Pistons, man, they're pretty good. It's because the media will hold your hand and take you where they want to because that's where the stories are. And we do a disservice to some of these other teams that play really well. And that's why I'm glad Sga is getting recognized because he has been great and players will say this, and they've said this, Jokers the best player in the game. But they're happy that Sga is going to be the MV pick, like he deserves to win the MV pick because of what the team did during the regular season. So that'll give you a sense of the players know. But is anybody talking about the Indiana Piecers. The WNBA team in Indiana gets more headlines, credit attention than the Pacers do. The Pacers are a really good team, but once again, the media does not guide you there. The only member of the media who does is Pat McAfee because he's in Indianapolis. But there will be some interesting stories that come out. And if you haven't watched Detroit, yes they did blow the lead the Knicks twenty one to nothing run. But Kate Cunningham is real. He is a real star.
Speaker 6: Yeah, Pauling, I didn't want to bring this up so early, but I was watching thunder Grizzlies. I'm just looking at that all the Grizzlies players and I'm like, oh, Scotty Pippen Junior is on the team, and I think he got the start for the Grizzlies. He spells his first name s c O T T Y. His father, Scottie Pippen Senior, spells it s c O T T I E m hm. That blew my mind. I always thought if you named your son after you, that exact same spelling of the name.
Speaker 3: Back to you.
Speaker 2: Okay, thank you, Paul break it down, Yeah, it's worth break breaking into programming. Who no, young, you can do it.
Speaker 3: I guess who.
Speaker 8: Stell of the day, style of the day, start of the day, stell of the day. This is the stele of the day.
Speaker 3: Paulie, would you stay on that story please? Yeah?
Speaker 1: I E?
Speaker 3: Or why with Scottie Pippen Junior the third Now it's in your head though? Is he junior? No, it's gone? Is he? Is he junior?
Speaker 6: He is Scottie Pippen Junior. But it's s c O T T Y again.
Speaker 2: Okay, his father's I E E E.
Speaker 3: Well, yes, I gotta tell you.
Speaker 5: I found that kind of interesting as well.
Speaker 3: Now that Paul mentioned, that's not a good sign. No it's not.
Speaker 2: No. Oh, Fritzy. Fritzy sent this to me. He was a hey, Luca's number is seventy seven. I go, okay, And do you realize seventy seven days after they traded Luca, the Mavericks were eliminated from the playoffs.
Speaker 5: Fascinating.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I go, okay, my thing numerology, I know it is. I know, love, I know. But did you notice that no one responded to you as well?
Speaker 5: Totally ignoring I didn't get a k or a thumbs up or a smiley thing.
Speaker 3: I I was way too busy for somemary.
Speaker 2: I don't know what I was doing, but I'm sure I was way too busy to then, you know, very nice respond to your seventy seven seventy seven?
Speaker 6: Yes, Paul, I have an update on the Scottie Pippens Scotty Pippen junior story.
Speaker 2: Why don't you hold it during the commercial cars? Yeah, because this is going to keep people in their cars, drive you around.
Speaker 3: I'll be in in a minute. I gotta find him out. Scott it pep ben Okay, let's take a break here. Mel Kuiper.
Speaker 2: A little bit later on, as Todd calls him Mel hyper and he has got to be ready to go here draft week. Although with me and Mel, I've known Mel for gosh, thirty five years, almost forty years. I don't know if he's ever changed as far as his delivery, like the volume, the level that he is at. That's the way he always is, speaking fast and nobody gets in more words in a sentence in a short period. Well, Fritzy does pretty well, but Mel Kiper we'll talk to him a little bit later on as well. All right, we'll take a break, we'll get phone calls. Operator Tyler sitting by, and we'll settle on a poll question as well.
Speaker 3: Great to be back, Glad you're with us. Back after this.
Speaker 1: Fox Sports Radio has the best sports talk lineup in the nation. Catch all of our shows at Foxsports Radio dot com and within the iHeartRadio app search fsart listen live.
Speaker 9: Hey Steve Covino and I'm Rich David and together we're Covino and Rich on Fox Sports Radio. You could catch us weekdays from five to seven pm Eastern two to four Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and of course the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 3: Why should you listen to Covino and Rich.
Speaker 9: We talk about everything life, sports, relationships, what's going on in the world. We have a lot of fun talking about the stories behind the stories in the world of sports and pop culture, stories that well other shows don't seem to have the time to discuss. And the fact that we've been friends for the last twenty years and still work together. I mean that says something, right.
Speaker 2: So check us out.
Speaker 9: We like to get you involved too, take your phone calls, chop it up. As they say, i'd say, the most interactive show on Fox Sports Radio, maybe the most interactive show on planetar. Be sure to check out Covino and Rich live on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio app from five to seven pm Eastern two to four Pacific. And if you miss any of the live show, just search Covino and Rich wherever you get your podcasts, and of course on social media that's Covino and Rich.
Speaker 2: Mel Kiper a little bit later on, and I was talking to the Dan ansl and he said, when you think about the history of ESPN, now there's a lot of voices there, but when you think of the most distinct voices in the history of ESPN, Dick Vintown, Chris Berman, and you can throw mel Kiper in there. Not traditional broadcasting voices, but the impact that they've had. And mel is rapid fire. He's been a machine gun ever since I've known him. With all that information, he has too much information. And Dicky V glad he's feeling better. You know, his delivery, and then Chris Berman his delivery as well. So we'll talk to Mel Kuiper draft expert coming up. Before the break. We were teasing you that's a term in the business to keep you with your radio tuned into us or your TV on. Scottie Pippen and Scottie Pippen Junior one Scottie Pippen s c T T I E Pippen the original and then his son Scotty sc O T T. Why Pippin junior? But if they're junior and senior, then why the difference?
Speaker 3: Pauli. And now we go to the name for an.
Speaker 2: It go The motto of our news team is fast and wrong is still fast.
Speaker 3: Let's go to the neucer, Pauli, Dan.
Speaker 6: We had to quickly look into the story. Scotty Pippen Junior is on the Memphis Grizzlies. His name on his birth certificate is not scott it's Scotty s c O T T. Why his father, Scottie Pippen always went by s C. O. T. T.
Speaker 3: I E.
Speaker 6: Going back to the NBA draft, Dan, were you at the draft with Pippin?
Speaker 2: I was interviewing Pippin when he got traded for Olden Polonies and they changed hats. They were sitting in the bleachers and all of a sudden somebody said, wait, you just got traded. And then all of a sudden, Olden Polonies and Scottie Pippen changed hats and it went from what Seattle to the Bulls Bulls to Seattle.
Speaker 6: Okay, so on during that draft when the commissioner, David Stern, your buddy announced Scotty Pippen being drafted out of I think Central Arkansas. Here's how it sounded.
Speaker 10: The Seattle SuperSonics select Scott Pippen of Central Arkansas.
Speaker 2: Scott Pippen from the University of Central Arkansas, Scott Pippen Scott.
Speaker 6: I went back and checked, Scott Pippen is not his name. His birth certificate says Scott.
Speaker 3: Why.
Speaker 6: Scotty Pippen from the Bulls se Ott why? During college he noticed that people ignored the why, and he thought by going with Ie, they notice it and call it by his own name, Scotty more often did not work on draft night. When he had a son, he decided to name him the same as him, se Ott. Why so Scotty Pippen, by design, misspells his own first name.
Speaker 2: Hmmm, back to you, Okay, clears that a lot? Yeah it does, Yeah, it does. By the way, best and worst of the weekend? What you saw that you like, we'll get to your phone calls. It's draft week. There's still a lot of questions here. It feels like cam Ward's going number one. Then all of a sudden it gets interesting. And boy, for the life of me, one of my best sources just is not coughing up information here because I keep saying, you got to help me here. What's going on with the Browns? And he said, Mum's the word, Mum's the word. And I said, okay, Abdul Carter, he said, I don't know Travis Hunter.
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 2: So you got the second pick, and that really is going to shape the draft if they would take you know, Travis Hunter or they I don't think they're taking a quarterback, Shador Sanders. Are they open to a trade? I'm sure they are, But who wants to go up there? And who are they going to get that might not be there. There's almost like a hey, we didn't get Travis Hunter, we got Abdul Carter, or we didn't get Abdua Carter, we got Travis Hunter. Like it feels like that is where the Giants are now, Okay, they do work out Shador Sanders, and everybody's looking at the timing of that. I didn't read much into that. I think they wanted to have their own day with him, and they got it. I think why not let other teams think that you're interested in Shadoor? But I think that that's what's curious about that is the game that's being played. If you're the Giants, you already have a couple of quarterbacks, are you. If you're sure about Shador Sanders, then you take him. I don't buy into this, Hey, maybe he'll be there at the end of the first round. If he's the guy you want, then draft him. We'll trade back into the first round. I don't buy that he's either your guy because if you're going to trade back into the first round, if you're the Giants, that's the guy you want your quarter you're going to be your future quarterback, then make sure you get him if you really feel that good about him. But you know, you're starting to look at and mel Kiper does the best players, he doesn't go. That guy should go here like Ashton Genty. He's got as a top five talent, but that doesn't mean he's going in the top five. Now I think that he's probably going to the Raiders, which I think all along we felt that it's like the Steelers. Are the Steelers taking Jackson Dart If Shador Sanders is there, are they going to I've also told this about Aaron Rodgers. Now, once again, I'm going to say this as it was a conversation, not a report. It was conversation because I'm saying, so what's Aaron Rodgers waiting for? And I was told by a source. Now this is just his thought on this, and that is he doesn't want a situation like what happened in Atlanta with Michaelis Junior Kirk Cousins. They sign him, he's ready to go, and then all of a sudden, it's like wait a minute, here, Rogers, I think wants to play two years. If he's going to play, wants to play two years. You don't want to go into a situation and once again, this is just a source and his thoughts on this, that Rogers doesn't want to sign with Pittsburgh and then Pittsburgh takes a quarterback in the first round, whether that's Jackson Dart, Shador Sanders. Because Rogers this happened to him in Green Bay with Jordan Love. He's thinking he's getting a wide receiver. All of a sudden, he's getting another quarterback. And I think, granted at Rogers age, he has no real power in this situation where hey, I'll sign, but you can't take a quarterback in the first round. And once again, this is just conversation that I had on Saturday, whether it's true or not, whether it comes to fruition, because we're all wondering what's Rogers waiting for. And the only thing I can think of, and I've said this for weeks, is he would wait until after the draft. At first, I thought, hey, he's going there, he's interviewing, he's spending six eight hours, and okay, I think that's more of a I want to come in, I want to see everybody. I want to talk to everybody. I want to see what you do in the draft. Now, once again, this is not a report. It's just reading into this and trying to figure out what is the storyline here, what's the logic? And I try not to use that with Aaron Rodgers, like what's the logic here? But if you say, all right now, I know what I have here, who I have here. I've spoken to the coach, I've spoken to the GM, spoken to ownership here, all right now, let me see what you do in the draft. Because if I'm Aaron Rodgers, are you getting somebody who's going to help me? If I'm your quarterback? Are you going to draft my replacement? And I'm not even there to be replaced yet? And I think what happened to Kirk Cousins in Atlanta is something that Aaron Rodgers is probably at least aware of.
Speaker 6: Yeah, pulling, but it seems counterintuitive based off what you're saying there. If Aaron Rodgers tells the Steelers, I don't know what I'm doing, they have to look at a quarterback with the twenty first pick of the draft. If somehow he agreed to terms with them today, he could say, well, we're going to support the offense, but the twenty first pick correct and he would have some type of yeah, but he.
Speaker 3: Had power in Green Bay and they took his replacement. This is different.
Speaker 2: I think he's just saying, if I'm going to play, I'm going to play for you guys, but I want to make sure that if you're drafting a quarterback, then you know, maybe I'll just retire. I think he's still holding out hope of whatever happens in you know, training camp, first couple of weeks of the season. Can I come in and you know, lead the team to the promised Land. Can I come in and let's just say the Rams, something happens to Matthew Stafford, because that's a playoff caliber, super Bowl caliber team, then all of a sudden, I can just come in, come to the rescue because we're all trying to figure out what is happening, what's logical to happen in this situation. And that was the only thing that I could come up with with Aaron is I'm waiting to after the draft, and he probably wants to wait as long as he can because maybe Pittsburgh isn't the ideal place for him, but he's.
Speaker 3: Run out of options.
Speaker 2: It's like, who would have thought that Bill Belichick wouldn't have an option to coach again. And what did I say to you on this show? He will not coach in the NFL again, Whether that's true or not. He went to college and nobody thought he was going to go to college. I didn't think he was going to college, but I didn't think he was going to be welcome back to the NFL because that's not the way the NFL is now here.
Speaker 3: You go, Bill, do whatever you want.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Marvin, does Aaron Rodgers have any more college eligibility left?
Speaker 2: I don't think, so go back and maybe play for Carolina, play for Belichick. Well, who knows in the transfer portal. And here's another thing to keep an eye on. I know Tennessee had this situation with their quarterback and when we get to July, the nil like things are changing and the amount of money you can get, you better get it now before July because it gets capped. That's why you probably have that situation where their quarterback said, I went from two to four million dollars and they all of a sudden said to Niko, you know we're gonna pass Josh Hipel, Yeah, We're gonna pass. And then UCLA reportedly is going to bring him in which I found interesting that UCLA is spending some money now that you're in the Big ten and you got to step.
Speaker 3: Up a little bit here.
Speaker 2: They maybe you're going to bring him in, but they're going to cap it in July, and you're gonna have these kids who are going to say, I think I'd like a little bit more money. And then it's going to be up to these you know, gms of these college teams. Now, the fact they have general managers in college, it's wild. They're all doing it. You know, you had an athletic director. Now you gotta have a GM of your football team, but nil and the amount of money that you can get and these players this is their last cash grab.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Pauline, Yeah.
Speaker 6: When I that story broke last week, I saw it and I think the shocking part was that Tennessee has a quarterback who leads them to ten wins and they don't pony up. You know, I guess the kid didn't go to practice. Nico Amalieva, he just didn't go to practice. He wanted his two million to be four million. And it was almost weird to see an SEC team they say, no, we're gonna, We're gonna you blink. We're not gonna blink, and they let him go. It was it was a weird story.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but I get it, you know when you say nobody's above the program, because if you're the coach man, they gave him they doubled his salary.
Speaker 3: Well maybe I should do that and.
Speaker 2: Then somebody, you know, everybody has an exaggerated worth, you know when we think how valuable, Well, they can never live without me, and uh it's like, you know, I found that out at ESPN quickly when I left. They'll never replace me. And it's like, uh, hey, yeah, they they they replaced me, They replace everybody. And I think that's what Josh Heipel said, no, not going to do this, and he's done a great job in turning this program around. And I think that's where you have to have. These are the standards, these are the requirements. This is who we are. But you know, these players holding you for ransom. If one does it, you've just opened up the door.
Speaker 4: Yes, Marvin, So going further with the nil contracts, are they going to say to themselves, Hey, if we get to the playoffs, you cannot ask this is the contract, this is the money you're going to get you cannot go in into next season ask for any more money than the money we're giving you going forward.
Speaker 2: You know, all of those things sound logical, like that's what you if you have a contract, standard contract. This is the contract. This is what you're getting paid. No negotiations here, even if you exceed expectations. But I mean, imagine if Travis Hunter was staying one more year at Colorado and he says, you know what I want this, I want five million, seven million dollars. What if Cooper Flag stayed another year.
Speaker 3: Dude.
Speaker 2: There's certain players that could ask for this and get this, but there's only a couple of those. But these kids, and what happens is you get the parents, You get an agent. Now all of a sudden, they're gonna get you more money. Hey, I'm gonna get your more money. Hey, if you can't get us more money, we'll get another agent. I mean, this is what's going on. It's not just the kid who's asking for money. The parents are the agent is promising. Then all of a sudden, you're like, I mean, this is like Aau all over again, where it's like, oh my god, here come the parents again. I'm all for you get what you're worth. If somebody pays it, you're worth it, and if you want to ask for that money. But I do think there have to be guidelines. They have to be bumpers that say this is what you know, this is what this contract means, this is what you must live up to. Because you know, we have these players who sit out bowl games. Well, I understand if you're sitting out a bowl game, that doesn't mean anything. Are we going to get to the point where you get a player who decides to set out a bowl game where your team's in the playoffs And the answer is yes, that'll happen.
Speaker 3: Yes, Tom, I can't see it ever happening.
Speaker 5: But just like something would be performance based, you'd have to get everything in writing. But if you keep asking for more and more money, shouldn't it also work both ways? If you don't live up to your contract, you know, we're not going to take money away from you. You know, I don't know how that would sit with people. But if you think about it, why is it aways have to be you're giving me this, but I want this if I hit these spots. What if you don't reach the minimum levels of what the expected of you couldn't you also say, then you're not gonna get We're not going to give you all the money we agree to.
Speaker 3: Well, why don't we do that with other sports?
Speaker 5: Maybe?
Speaker 2: Why are we just doing it for the college kids. Why don't if the Mets say to Juan Soto, hey, if you don't do this, then we're taking away, you know, seventeen million dollars.
Speaker 5: Hey, these are the incentives, and these are their decentives for if you've got good luck, never good good luck trying to get that.
Speaker 2: Let's take a break. We'll get the phone calls coming up. Best and Worst of the weekend eight seven seven three DP show. Our Play of the day is up next.
Speaker 1: Be sure to catch the live edition of The Dan Patrick Show weekdays at nine am Eastern, six am Pacific, Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio.
Speaker 9: Wapp Oh my God, the play of the day.
Speaker 3: Play this is the play of the day.
Speaker 9: Check this out five to shoot Steph ripped it throughout Jayalen Green goes to his right out abouts three is up at it?
Speaker 7: Oh my goodness, falling out abouts right in front of Larriors unner.
Speaker 8: Joe lacom Umbertraculous three by curry On Eastern.
Speaker 2: That's courtesy of ninety five to seven the game. The Warriors are forty and twenty seven on the road in the playoffs since twenty fourteen, best postseason road record of NBA, any NBA team. Over that spam. That's your play of the day. Play of the Day brought to you by Rapid Radios official walkie talkie of the DP show Push to Talk. It's really easy and they sound great. Business owners, stay connected with your employees anywhere up to two hundred employees on one feed and uh, it's all one private. It's Rapid Radios, dot Com up to sixty percent off and free shipping. Gus in La leads us off. Good morning, Gus, what's on your mind today?
Speaker 10: Good morning mister Patrick. Hope and the boys had a great break. Well, you know, I was, you know, throughout I think the first quarter of Saturday's game, I was like, man, my bet, the weekend's gonna be awesome. I can't wait to get on the air and say the best of the weekend was this. And then the second, third, and fourth quarter were played and it's just embarrassing. It was just embarrassing to sit there, like by midway through the fourth. I'm like, what am I gonna say was the best of my weekend? You know, Like the Dodgers go two out of three in Texas, that's a big whoop, you know, but it's like, like, truly, honestly, I was embarrassed. It was shocking to see the Timberwolves going there and not just beat us by five. They slapped the hell out of us for three and a half quarters and did not let up.
Speaker 3: I'm worried for tonight.
Speaker 10: I'm gonna sit back and just pray the entire time, and you know, hopefully we do not embarrass us once again.
Speaker 3: Joy have a great week. Thank you guys.
Speaker 2: I hope the Lakers aren't surprised at the physicality of Minnesota Pistons at the Knicks tonight, Clippers at the Nuggets.
Speaker 10: Uh?
Speaker 3: Eric and Wisconsin? Hi Eric, what's on your mind today?
Speaker 7: Good morning, gentlemen, And I say that lightly. Hope you gentlemen had a great Easter weekend. Have you guys ever had a best and worst and had such distain for both teams? Let's start with my best, the Boston Celtics. They just put the entire NBA on notice. We are still the raigning champions. You're gonna have to come take this out of our dying hands. My worst of the weekend, the Pittsburgh still is. And I'm going to preface this, gentleman with saying.
Speaker 11: I'm an old school cow boys say and I am a lifelong hater of the Pittsburgh Steelers, but I had such respect for them and the way they went.
Speaker 7: About business with Rocky Blyer, ELC and Swan and the gentleman that how can they let Aaron Rodgers hold them hostage? It just perplexed me, Fellows to the point. And I'm a bed written cancer fear our cancer patient and I'm sitting here and I'm just it just makes me scratch my head when I can move my hands. How such a proud franchise have a loud this gentleman and go back to the great soldiers?
Speaker 3: What have you done for me lately?
Speaker 7: I can't think of the last good year that Aaron Rodgers had. It's almost like the Green Bay Packers had foresight to see what he was going to become. I'm a love for you during to comment on it. I'm just gonna sit back and listen as I changed scratching my head.
Speaker 2: Thank you Eric, Thank you. Help you feel better after getting that off your chest. Look, I've said this about the Steelers set a deadline, and you're the Steelers. They obviously didn't, but he did come in. And I have to look at both sides of this. Do the Steelers want him? How much do they want him? Do they want flexibility here? Not getting locked in? If let's say Shadoor Sanders falls in their lap?
Speaker 3: What are they going to do?
Speaker 2: Jackson Dart? What if Kirk Cousins becomes available? You got to wait until the draft is over. And at first I thought Aaron was going to make up his mind. That I realized and I'm just told he'll be after the draft. I think Aaron wants to see what happens. Steelers want to see what happens. And maybe, you know, Mike Tomlin is just being quiet because he doesn't have to tell us anything. Aaron's not really saying mine. It feels like there's almost this gentleman's agreement of I like you, I like you, I don't know if I love you.
Speaker 3: I don't know if I want to go all in on this.
Speaker 2: Whether that's from Aaron's side to the Steelers side, feels like more from aaronside. But I just don't think Aaron wants to go into a situation where what Kirk Cousins went in, you know, found himself in in Atlanta.
Speaker 4: Yes, Mark, Now Aaron Rodgers actually signs with the Steelers, what are your realistic expectations, because I'd be furious if I was a Steelers fan and it'd be all this for you to go nine and eight.
Speaker 2: I guess I'm going to expect maybe ten wins, maybe eleven. You know, the problem is they got you know, the quarterback play wasn't great. Well, actually defense wasn't great, I don't think and those they lost what four of their last five? I mean, they could have easily won eleven or twelve games. Then all of a sudden, do you keep your quarterback? Do you keep ross? If they win twelve games, I don't know how close it was where they and they got rid of everybody. They got rid of both of their quarterbacks. So they clearly have a direction they want to go in. And I felt all along that's through the draft. But if you can get Aaron Rodgers, and let's say you get Aaron Rodgers for two years and you developed somebody Okay, then maybe they'll find their quarterback of the future.
Speaker 6: Yeah, paul I mentioned this before, but the Steelers on December first had ten wins. The Baltimore Ravens on December first had eight wins. They both Steelers lost their last four, Ravens won their last four.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they had an opportunity.
Speaker 2: Ye, So, but that's a really tough division. The Bengals didn't make the playoffs, and you know, is that going to happen three years in a row? The Ravens, they're still going to be good? How good can the Browns be respectable? And then if you're the Steelers, you're like, where do we fit in here?
Speaker 7: Well?
Speaker 2: I think they fit right in there. But a window of opportunity closing rapidly. Coming up, we'll talk some playoff basketball. Chris Haynes, Senior NBA Insider. Final hour of the program, mel kiper Draft expert will stop by as well more phone calls on a Monday Best and Worst of the Weekend Hour two right after this