Speaker 1: Now, the Shotgun Starting Golf is full of mathematics. There's a lot of setup work that we have to do in order to make a tournament work. So I'm going to demonstrate to you just exactly how we do a shotgun start here.
Speaker 2: Where are we?
Speaker 1: Alright? Alright, alright, gentle mans, darn your.
Speaker 2: Greetings, and welcome to a Monday edition of The Shotgun Start. It is August twenty fourth, Andy, how are we doing, Brendan?
Speaker 1: I'm doing great. How are you?
Speaker 2: You're back? Oh, don't worry about me. How are you? I think it's a surprise return, you know. It's it's like getting right back in there Ronnie Lott cutting his finger off and coming right back in the game. It's an early return here. You're gonna hobble and gut it out.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, we'll see. I don't know if I'll be back full time. I don't know. Three days a week is gonna be right now. We're still adjusting, but but we're back for tonight.
Speaker 2: You know what's alike? Your dad, you left us. Last time you were here, we were I don't know what we were doing. We were shouting about di amateur Tyler fachie stuff, and now you're back and you're a dad. How are you? How's it going?
Speaker 1: I know what, Frank Strafaci, you know, in all seriousness, is an unbelievable experience. Obviously it's a it's our first kid, our baby girl, and uh, it was unbelieve It's been just an amazing week. And and I think everybody always tells you what it's going to be like, what it's like, And you know, my feeling is that nothing anybody can tell you will ever prepare you for how amazing the feeling of becoming a father is. And uh, sure really cool week, so.
Speaker 2: Good where everybody's happy for you. All that unsolicited advice, all that unsolicited commentary about oh you won't believe this, you need to do that, it didn't prepare you for it. No, like you thought you didn't ask for and didn't want.
Speaker 1: I'm sure nothing can compare it can prepare you for that first night in the in the hospital when when the nurses aren't around and you got the baby's crying, you gotta gotta feed the baby. And I'm you know, cleaning up a dirty diaper for the first time on my own. It's just that was nothing could prepare you for that.
Speaker 2: So there you go.
Speaker 1: Nothing can prepare are you for you know, basically not sleeping for the first two nights while they're you know, up and yeah. So it was funny. I was listening to you and Chane when Friday's pot and your advice was, you know, to use the nursery. And I turned to turn to Kaylei I go, you know, I just listened to the podcast of the Oh no, I don't want to be on her bad side. I gave us was to use the nursery. And we we didn't use the nursery.
Speaker 2: Well, I don't think we did much the first time. By the fourth time, we were just like, all right, the baby's born. It's like we're put in the car when we're going home. Otherwise, you know, you guys take care of it. Yeah no, but that's good. Everybody's happy for you, very very congrats, so thank you.
Speaker 1: Uh. Ready to talk golf. I've watched a ton of golf, you know, the baby just laying and sleeping, and you know, i'd find myself watching a lot of coffee golf. I didn't watch a ton of the Northern Trust, I uh, but I did watch a lot of coffee golf.
Speaker 2: Would you have watched a lot of the Northern US if you hadn't become a newborn dad this week anyways?
Speaker 1: I don't know. I tuned into some of it this weekend, a little bit here and there. Obviously i'd be dustin. Jonathan's performance was astounding.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's amazing. Let's talk about women. Should we mentioned coffee golf? Let's talk about the women's Open. Sophia pop Off, I think I got that right. Pop Off? Pope? Is it popa? I think it's Popoff? So Fia pop Off German. She went to usc she almost gave up golf last last year. Truon was just a fabulous watch. Pop Off was sort of inspiring to watch. Down the end. There wasn't a lot of drama, you know. She separated herself a bit, you know, even when it looked like it might get dicey. She burnied back to back holes to really kind of push a head, you know, Truan. Obviously, you find yourself in a pop bunk or something, and big margin can become small quickly. But it never really felt too dramatic. It's just still great, a great morning watch all weekend, you know, not just pop off. You know, we talked about I don't think no, we didn't on Friday, but over the weekend Saturday, she didn't drive her off the deck. It was just great to wake up to, you know. Lindsay Weaver had a ridiculous hole out from some junk on the green side. Minji Lee had an amazing up and down from the on the postage stamp. It was just a lot of great golf to watch and then a great champion to a great story.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, it is awesome golf, and obviously the story is going to get headlines where you know, she wasn't in the field until what a week ago she was caddying at Enverness. She almost quit golf. She didn't have a PGA or an LPGA Tour card. She had earned one thousand dollars in her entire LPGA career and then earned six hundred thousand this week. Like there are all these really amazing things about her, when what I kind of found the most amazing was this wasn't she got hot on Sunday and stuck up on everybody. This was she She distanced herself on Saturday, slept on the lead being you know, we see these you know remember uh Austin Connolly a couple of years.
Speaker 3: Ago, Like we see stuff like this, Yeah, we see stuff like this happen, but then we rarely see the person the no name like Jason Gore or the who was the guy that was wearing the bell bottom pants, the O six wing foot Fairy, Kenny Fairy. You know, we see these guys get into contention offen like, it's not irregular to see that.
Speaker 1: But then it's so you know, she just she played great on Sunday. She absolutely put on a clinic on Sunday, and it was, you know, coming down the stretch just it was stress free. It was green, fair fairway green, fairway green. And then on eighteen I loved the putt, you know, from off the green. It was just so sensible, and that's that. It was just amazing to see somebody with so few credentials play so calm and cool and collected under the gun and under that major championship pressure.
Speaker 2: So conditions got a little better. It wasn't like the sixty mile bar our gusts they're expected on thirdy, but she went sixty seven sixty eight on the weekend. Yeah, and you're talking about sleeping on the lead. She came out, didn't you like seventy two? She didn't even you know, sixty eight pretty much backed it up. You know, Bogie's the last kind of as a more of the sensible play, as you would suggest. One thing I found like the story's great any year. The story is just awesome. She's in tears after the round, said, you know, I really thought I was going to quick golf last year. You know, she has no status, but I thought it was great, especially in this year. It's not a great year for a lot of people. You know, it's not a great year for the regular Joe. It's not a great year for you know, Roger Sloane. His wife can't you know, walk inside the walk and watch him shoot seventy five at the Windham Championship. It's not a great year for just a lot of people.
Speaker 1: It's unbelievable comment.
Speaker 2: I like that PG Tours abandoned the family aspect.
Speaker 1: It's so sad that my wife can't come ontch this pandemic with you know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, uh, but from a golf perspective, it's especially hard and challenging and you know, fraught with trouble if you don't have status or you're on a lower tour, on some up and coming tour, and we've seen this. It's especially difficult the local IQ tour. They cobble together the web tour guys. They have no chance of advancing. We know that. But she's like grinding out starts on the Semetra tour, caddying on the LPGA went in Cactus to her playing Cactus tour. So I think like in this year, especially when there is so much, the barriers are even higher to just having a career, to having opportunity a win like this, and this moment is I think even heightened more than the story is made even amplified by by that the current circumstance.
Speaker 1: Yeah, especially she's thinking about quitting. It's like how easy would have been to quit this year when the world's shut down and golf shut down for what it was a three months four months?
Speaker 2: And that's what we hear so much about the greatest impact that agents told us, like the people on the fringes, people like person like this will quit with with really like those pathways closing off more than anything.
Speaker 1: Did you see that she's actually not in the US Open or a NA inspiration fields right now the wind didn't get her into those two of the next three majors.
Speaker 2: That doesn't make sense.
Speaker 1: Beth Anne Nichols wrote an article about it. But she's not in those fields. That's got to change, is it.
Speaker 2: A So it's a chronological thing, right, So the Women's Open would usually come after this, so it would get her in the next one, the twenty twenty one Open. In an I'm not sure.
Speaker 1: I just I don't know what it is, but it, you know, for she needs to be in those fields.
Speaker 2: Presumably she gets five year exemptions or something to all the other majors, right, But it probably doesn't start till next year because this is usually the last women's major, maybe second to last. I don't know if the the oncomes after that. It's because of the order, right, right, same issue with Burger, which we'll talk about, right, I mean, Burger is probably in for next year. We'll talk about that later. Anything else on the Women's Open.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I just, I just I was enthralled by by the golf all week. I was up very early in the morning because of a newborn baby, and I found myself watching a lot of the golf, which was a great byproduct of it, and you know, I napped in the afternoon, and uh, it was. It was awesome. It's so much fun to watch. I've enjoyed the the women's return to golf capitalized so much in the last.
Speaker 2: Not clear if they did an official campaign. They demanded journalists capitalize it.
Speaker 1: Maybe it's under you know, not capitalized, you know, I think it's bolded.
Speaker 2: Who knows. Yeah, so what You've enjoyed the whole thing on.
Speaker 1: One of the things I loved is, you know, they played on three of the four weeks, and I think the other course in Toledo, I forgot what the name of it is, but you know, they played Inverness Renaissance Club and truon three of the four weeks that they've been back. There are three world class golf courses, and it's just been so much fun to watch. And I kind of found myself and I wrote something. I don't know when it will go up. I was so inspired I wrote something today, which is a rarety these days.
Speaker 2: Geez, you got a kid and you're writing and you're podcasting four or five days later. Impressive.
Speaker 1: But one of the things I couldn't I couldn't help but think watching you know, having watched a ton of this golf tournament and watched a lot of Inverness, is you know, if you're a diehard baseball fan, there's nothing better than, you know, playoff baseball, where everybody's scratching for to win on the margins, where executing that hit and run moving the runner from first to second is like paramount. And I feel like the women's game of golf is like that, especially on these great courses, where every little thing matters and every aspect of their game is being examined. And I couldn't help, especially with the direction with Bryson. Obviously, DJ had an unbelievable performance. This is not at all meant to take away from DJ's performance, but the PGA Tour, I feel like, just thinking about the baseball comparison is moving itself more and more towards home run derby, where it's just get up to the ball, hit it as far as you can, and wedge it up there. And it's becoming so much less interesting for a die hard fan than that game where you know, being on one side of the fairway matters because you have to approach a green with a fronting bunker. That doesn't matter when you've got a lobwadge in your hand every hole. You know, it does matter when you're coming in with a lower trajectory club. And we saw at Truon like it was really neat, And you saw it with mb Park's post round interview. They asked her, you know, she got, oh, it's really tough. And we saw it like they're hitting long irons into these greens coming down the stretch and the men, you know, they're hitting wedges. It's just not the same. And you know, hitting a wedge into a green, there's there's not that much that can go wrong, Like it's really hard to mess up with a wedge, you know. And in this this game has I think so much potential. The women's game, I think is I kind of have started to think about it in the way tennis. You know, obviously tennis had a big revolution with the composite racket and the modern strings, which led to the men's game becoming so power dominant, you know, where it became just serve and volley and there's you know the popularity of the men's game diminished so much, and what who won from that was the women's game who still retained those volleys and became you know, the women's game actually became more popular. And because of that, you know, prize money equaled out. The women get paid the same amount as the men now and uh, you know the men ultimately slowed the ball down to get their rallies back. Yeah, and I think that that some of that nuance is just being lost in the men's game. And you watch the women and you know, women's distances line up pretty well the nineteen eighties men's golf now right right, A lot of people say is the Golden Age of golf the best decade of golf? And it's because different styles are able to thrive. It's not just about how who bashes it the furthest and straightest in a given week and puttswell.
Speaker 2: Pretty good era for euro golf too, well, you know, when you're talking about eighties, different kind of hell. Those not the bigger hitter and you got a woozy was like five something. You can smash it with the hard hook and stuff like that.
Speaker 1: You had Jack and Tom Watson, and you know, I think, like when you think about the women's game, I think the next twenty years could be really it could really grow in popularity. Because it's just more compelling golf in my opinion.
Speaker 2: I think to your point, well, I mean this most recent instant event, that's what's the most famous hole at true, it's the post shamp, right, It's like this one that's like extreme precision. Right, It's not like the thing to mash it, right, it's this precision. Who can who can make the smartest play, or who can decide to make the ballsiest play? Or where do you find the middle line? Right? Where do you go? And who can be the most precise and who can execute it? And I think to that point of my favorite shot from the week that we can remember, the shot I'll remember most is a driver, but his driver off the deck. It's just what that got like fifteen feet off the ground and did this kind of rope around this front thing, you know, pot bunker. It kind of curled around beautifully. That's what I'll remember. It's not again, Yeah, it's just a little bit to your point on the smash and wedge.
Speaker 1: The most interesting golf shots, the most interesting parts of them in general, outside of maybe your slam dunks, are the ones once the ball hits the ground, that's when it's the most interesting. When the ball's rolling and you know, driver wedge doesn't leave much for that, you know, because you're hitting a wedge that's just going up and stopping, especially when the course is soft, you know, which we see a lot of times with the PGA Tour. And we can talk more about that in a few minutes. But yeah, I mean, the other thing I was thinking about is like, why are equipment money. I understand why they are because of the eyeballs, but like, if you're an equipment company, why aren't women the ones that you're paying tons of money to endorse because they're you know, a high launching long iron makes a huge impact on their game. Like DJ Rory all those guys, they could hit a butter knife high and soft. They can do things that, like what equipment they play, has no impact on the general public because they don't have the same anywhere near the same problems as them. Like these women should be the the ambassadors of the game because they, you know, them having a long, a high launching long iron is very relatable to the eight handicap who hits it, you know, two eighty and needs a long, a high launching long iron to play par vibes better. Long par three is better.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they're telling the eight handicap does not approximating talent. No similar issue. I know what you're I just don't. I want people to be clear about that that they're You're not suggesting they're similar players in any way, but similar styles and similar I don't know, similar issue, a similar solution.
Speaker 1: The club could be the thing about the women, like they there are long there are Marius Fasci smashes it, Lexi Thompson smashes it like they they are long hitters out there, but they are so good at everything. They're just incredible. How good they are, like the the dispersion, like how tight, how small their misses are is just astonishing.
Speaker 2: Yep, yep, Okay, one other thing before we move on.
Speaker 1: We got to talk about Lexi Thompson.
Speaker 2: That was it. That's exactly where you are. We are right back, Simpodico. Yeah, I didn't know. Yes, that's that's what I had. Fantastic, good to have you back in.
Speaker 1: What do you think? What do you what are your thoughts? Explain what happened and then let's hear your thoughts and I'll give you the book.
Speaker 2: You're a gesticulating you look ready to talk. I mean, you can't do that, all right? You want me to set it up or sitting on adjacent abutting a tuft of grass. It's tough, appears to be a wisp of some sort. It's maybe eight inches tall. It's probably clumpy. The ball is not on it. It's sort of like against it, right? Is that? Would that be accurate to say? Just like against it? And it's otherwise I like the word of butting, but it's otherwise like just sort of a burned out wash is area.
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 2: It's now this thick rough, it's just that it's unmaintained kind of tuft of grass.
Speaker 1: It's a very unpredictable lie. You'd look at it and kind of be like, hmm, I don't know what this is going to do because of this tuft of grass.
Speaker 2: A little breezy. Maybe the tuft is swaying in the wind gently, I don't know. But she takes the back of her iron and just brushes at the tuft of the grass that's touching her ball and does it again. Now, Now this this grass is, you know, eight inches in the air. Her ball is whatever an inch, you know, So she's not necessarily really close to the ball, but she's moving the grass, the clump that is touching her ball.
Speaker 1: And when she addressed the ball a couple times pretty forceful, takes the club off pretty fo like she put padded it down, you know, like see I'm not saying she intentionally patted it down, but it was not like a soft address of the club. It was a pretty forceful address.
Speaker 2: So then she she just kind of waves at it with the back of her iron, you know, knocks the I don't know what, I don't know. Necessarily, it was looked very blatant to be sort of improving your lie or trying to remove a hindrance, like you would like a twig that's touching, you know, just taking the back of your club and flipping a twig that was kind of against your ball. It just and then hits and then plays. And then I woke up to this. It would have been Friday morning. I think we woke up to this European twitters and a rough roar about it. David Rickman, who I believe is the RNA rules person, said there was no penalty because the ball. Did they determine it moved. I don't know that they ever did think they all they said was I think they came back to a place where original it's original point. Wherever it was, it was in its original point.
Speaker 1: And I think the question becomes, was she improving or lie?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Yeah, right right. So this is against the backdrop of DNA debacle, where she you know, mismarked her ball and then you know, twenty four hours later she gets dinged with the four shot penalty, where you know, I think given the way that was sort of where that punishment was handed out, she was certainly sympathetic figure in that case. I think she should have like the way it came about down, you know, as she's going to the Sunday of a major and she's hearing about something that happened twenty four hours ago. But there were certainly people, professionals, professional commentators, Robert Dammeran among them, others who's like that looked deliberate, that looked you know, death, a little sketchy, a little sketchy.
Speaker 1: You know, where to put the ball back down? Yeah?
Speaker 2: Get get yeah there to get around something on the green. So what do you make of this? What do you should there have been a penalty? So I'm not suggesting this is there's some clear pattern of cheating, but I think European commentators and rightly so we're bringing that up in context of this one. So I go ahead, what do you make of this?
Speaker 1: Jeff shackle Firds pointing this out. I think is that it was a big moment in the sense of how it put this gray area into the game where you know it it looked pretty clear that she was you know, whether or not the I think the whole thing comes back to this intent thing that with the same thing we saw with like read and you know, I didn't intend to do this. It's or the anchor man, I've got intending to anchor my putter. But yeah, right right, but like the reality you didn't intend you you did it, and like there's no doubt in my mind that what she was doing was trying to improve her lie Like you wouldn't do that kind of stuff. You could be testing the way you took it over, but that didn't even look like that. You know, she was smashing down the grass behind the ball, and.
Speaker 2: There was there was no like subtlety too, No, there was no subtlety like it was even that someone who's not super in competitive golf or familiar with the rules, you're like, whoa, whoa. That looks out of the ordinary, the way she's waving at that.
Speaker 1: And it's really clear. When you are up against a tree, if you knock like a leaf off, it's a penalty. But grass is so much different because like, if you knock it down, it's not a penalty. You know if you and like it's not like a clear cut thing. You don't see the leaf fall or the branch fall, and it's like, Okay, the branch fell, it's a penalty.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Like it's.
Speaker 1: Not like, oh, she mashed down this tuft of grass that made it easier for her to hit the ball is not as clear because it's like, but I think it should have been a penalty. I think that that rule really needs to be revisited and written more clearly because it seems like we've run into it now. Like the rom situation was similar, but I think way different. I don't. I don't think John ram it was anywhere in the like that was seems even whether.
Speaker 2: His ball moved or he was like trying to fluff it or adjust.
Speaker 1: It, that seemed like an address of the ball. And now you could say like he shouldn't address the ball like that. But that comes back to a whole another can of worm. This looked like this was out of her ordinary routine and something she did to better hit, hit a better shot.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and also brings the light. It brings to mind the read thing at Beth Page right when Costas is on the broadcast like, well, I don't know like what club he's hit or I don't know where this is going to go, but I do know the why he's hitting out of now was not the same one you had five minutes or three minutes ago. And how do you adjudicate that? I mean, if you get some rules guys coming out at Pat Reid, they're gonna, you know, try to bite their head off saying that, like how do you determine it? Do you determine it? Is you make it an intent? Do you make it? This was too severe of padding a lie or messing around with a lie. If the ball I don't know, if the ball moves, it's kind of like cut and dry right and doesn't come back to a spot like then we know. But there's so much more gray area beyond that of really improving your lie. I think in the rough at a bet page seems like the most significant place where you can do it without you know, bringing on any kind of punishment or bringing on watchful eyes.
Speaker 1: I guess yeah, I mean I think she should have been penalized.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think.
Speaker 1: I think the other aspect of this is after what happened a couple of years ago. Yeah, there's a little bit more less room for doubt, you know you kind of it's a fool me once situation. I don't know, I always screw up the second half of that, so I'm just gonna leave it there, fool.
Speaker 2: Me on such. I mean, I'm glad we talked about that. I don't have any other Women's Open thoughts to you.
Speaker 1: I yeah, I'm well. The other thing I'm so excited. I think the back half of what I was talking about earlier is that, you know, last year we played, they played this event at Woeburn, which was a disgrace for the Women's British Open. We played at a parkland course built in the fifties in England. So I think a big signal of I think this is a great first step of golf and really embracing and promoting the women's game is the upcoming schedule of Open championship courses that they're playing with Mirfield and Carnousti and the Old course. Like it's really exciting because watching them play Troon was part of the delight is that these great golf courses amplify how great their golf product is.
Speaker 2: Yep. I think the Women's Open has had a great run of sort of champions stories. I would say the Chabuno Schabuno. I know the course is brutal last year, but just smiling and her pace of play that was amazing. You know, this story pop off with giving it up on the verge of giving up the game. Remember Moe Martin a couple of years ago. I want to say that was Birkdale and she like smoked that wood into the par fives. You know she was not, you know, the most dominant talent, but a very good pro. It's just kind of another amazing story. The Women's Opens really produced, like the Men's Open produce some kind of wonderful champions wonderful stories. And last I would say decade or so. All right, moving on, congrats again, Sophia pop Off. All right, moving on, we don't ever read today. I think we cleared the decks. So that's a reminder. Send birthday requests for the rest of August. Start jumping on September. If you'd like to SGS Birthdays at gmail dot com. We've got a lot, but we want a full full throw your name in there. We want a full boat. Everybody get an opportunity to get a free bottle of wine. We'll do that every Friday. SGS Birthdays at gmail dot com.
Speaker 1: Give us a little We got to do that coffee golf drawing.
Speaker 2: Yes, and then we're gonna do that. We're doing that tomorrow. How about that? All right, we'll do that, So subscribe by the end of the day of Monday. If you subscribe to the SGS Blend, Light or Dark Roast, we're going to do the drawing tomorrow.
Speaker 1: I can do that at Fixbycoffee dot com.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I should probably let you know.
Speaker 1: And it's on there under products you find the Shotgun Start Coffee.
Speaker 2: You get it fresh delivered. You know it's you can cancel any time, you know if the subscription is not to your like it. So Light ROAs Dark Roast will draw for five mugs, five coffee socks. A six month subscription, a three month subscription. We'll do that Monday night. Sorry, we keep you know, you had a kid. I had to procede. I don't know, just a lot going on, but we'll do that this week. So get in the bucket and subscribe today. All right on the Northern Trust there in the rain delay. I'm not gonna lie. We just started recording. You know, I've got some duties tonight.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you got a child.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: DJ leads They've got three holes to play, two holes to play. He's twenty nine under. He leads Harris English by nine.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 2: He's gone sixty seven, sixty disappointing, sixty sixty four looks to be on pace for another meet sixty. He went out in thirty. You know he's got two holes left.
Speaker 1: Is he gonna get to Ernie? Is he gonna get to thirty one?
Speaker 2: Thirty? I don't know. Is it gonna be Brian Gant. That's recording before all this drama has been settled. That's maybe why we decided to records. We wouldn't be so down about Brian Gay's record being shattered. So we don't know for sure. Brian Gay last winner, double digit winner on the PGA Tour that's we jumped the guns, so we wouldn't have that added, you know, depression of his record being bro.
Speaker 1: Do you think Harris English and DJ are talking about that right now, about Beg's uh Beach's record and whether Harris could could prevent it from from uh you know.
Speaker 2: I don't think so. I don't think they probably are aware of the situation, unless Sean Martin, you know, text with one of them about it. I doubt they're are aware. So do you think he's gonna break Ernie? I don't think he's got two birdie holes. He's got to go Bertie eagle to break Ernie's. I think I could very foresee him tying it Tom Yeah, you know, But I.
Speaker 1: Mean the reality is it's a par seventy one versus kappaloois par seventy three. So one of the things there is that, you know, the it's an utterly astonishing performance, I mean incredible, and I I have to say the golf course has been has taken a lot of heat, It's gotten gotten beat up by people because of the scores. It's a natural knee jerk reaction. But like look at the DJ's nine. Clear he's clearly the best player there is. Letting him get nine clear. The other thing that I've been kind of impressed by. There have been big scores, you know, like Rory shot seventy four yesterday. Yeah, ZB shot eighty on Friday after he shot four under the first day. You know, like they're there, haven't It's not. It's just utterly astonishing how good of golf DJ is played. And he's just so good when he's on like this.
Speaker 2: It's just played well at the PGA. You know, this isn't like some guy who just you know, slapping it around. Obviously, you don't get to twenty nine unders, you don't get nine and clear. And he's you know, he's all around, right, all around, tea green, he's been pretty good putting, and it's just it's, yeah, it's a legendary FedEx Cup performance. I don't know about.
Speaker 1: Legendary legendary FedEx Cup performance. This is just like you know what Luca Dodgers is doing on the NBA, Like.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's broken. While we were recording, he drained something. Yeah, the three pointer went out.
Speaker 1: It's just just like that. I mean, this is this is where the play playoff basketball is just like playoff golf here, it's not it's not been you know, the playoffs Here's what I'll say.
Speaker 2: The stakes seem low, but the guys who have won them, he's slowed them here or there. You know, take away like the players who win them are are often you know, the top players that year.
Speaker 1: I think, right, somebody text me and asked me, you know about the playoffs. They're said, it seems like a lot of big names missed the cut this week. I'm like, well, it's like the top one hundred and twenty five guys, so like, there aren't that many bad guys. There's no Yeah, like we we don't have ten sponsors exemptions rolling into the field and Dandy Chopps and mister three hundred.
Speaker 2: Danny Chopps is on the call this week. I I struggle personally to just get into these every year. I just do. I like to I love. I'm not suggesting they're bad or what happened before them was, you know, it's it's an improvement on you know, what existed in two thousand and six. I personally just really struggle to be enthused or into these. Even with DJ going for a fifty eight, it was hard for me to get into and that's just me. I'm not every year the Northern Trust just I don know. Last year stunk Pat Reid won, but the entire week was about slow play that was juicy and enjoyable. Well, this year, DJ's like putting on one of the great performances that. You know, if we were to do a spotlight on him in twenty years, you know this will probably be at thirty seconds of it, two minutes of it, right, it's going to be a career achievement of some sort.
Speaker 1: It'll be about DJ. And how it's His wins list is really incredible. I mean he won the Northern Trust a couple of years ago. Yeah, he's won a ton of wgc's.
Speaker 2: Yep.
Speaker 1: He consistently plays great in major championships. Although he's only won one, three or four could have gone his way. He plays extraordinarily well. He is not the King of the Bees, as one player referred to Marcomira, like he wins the A events and he can win them running away, and that I am always amazed at guys that can win golf tournaments by seven, eight, nine, ten shots like that is extraordinary, especially against a field that has the best players in the world. In it like, not often you see the best players in the world get lapped by another player.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you do. You feel like him separating says anything about TPC Boston. That's you know, people are gonna say like separation. You know, usually identify, you know, identify as a course that identifies who's playing the best kind of thing. Does that say anything to the course?
Speaker 1: I mean, I think one of the things with DJ is he's never hitting He's rarely ever hitting less than a wedge into part four or more than a wet like he's maybe I think it was he went a year or two years without hitting it more than a seven iron into part four.
Speaker 2: I think that's right.
Speaker 1: You know, at this golf the reality is is that if he has a good week with his driver and wedges, he could go to this golf course and not carry a three, four and five iron and be fine. He would still have won this tournament. If he just went to the golf course with a driver and seven iron and below, he would have still won this week. And that's the problem with the men's game right now, is that it's just like that tennis analogy we talked about. It's serve volley, it's driver, wedge. It just if one of these power players has a good week with the driver and wedges, it's over.
Speaker 2: Let's do a little quote roulette. As we're talking about some of the problems with the game, maybe a little apathy around the playoffs, we'll do a little quote roulette. First up is Justin Thomas. He's broken sixty his quote. You know, after the scores on God, what was that Friday? Right, Scheffler fifty nine? DJ disappointing sixty right? I mean no, it's incredible score right.
Speaker 1: Incredibly eleven under through eleven.
Speaker 2: Unbelievable, you know, laid up on eighteen and parted a bunch on the back. I don't know. People were just he won by nine.
Speaker 1: He's up by nine right now, He's gonna win by between seven and ten shots or eleven shots on tour. It's unbelievable, utterly unbelievable.
Speaker 2: So here's Justin Thomas. I still find if DJ, What if DJ doesn't win and we're pre recorded this, what do we do? Do we have an have to happen? I don't know. I think it'd make this pod that much better, you know, just talking like some idiots. What would have to happen.
Speaker 1: For that, he would have to like fall down the stairs or something.
Speaker 2: Well, that's happened before it can happen again.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 2: I still think, here's Justin Thomas. I still think someone is going to shoot fifty six or fifty seven or fifty eight on tour, whether it's in the next couple of years or ten or fifteen. We're all getting so much better, and especially if you get a place like this with really good greens and it's soft. We're pretty good with our distance control and pretty good at golf to where if we get it rolling, who knows what can happen. Here's Justin Thomas earlier this week speaking, I don't know where I think in his press conference. It really bothers me when they say that the golf ball needs to be rolled back, because there's plenty of people that are still performing well that don't hit it as far. Length is not the answer, it's just helpful. You still got to get the ball in the hole. His last point, You still got to get the ball in the hole, like negates everything that comes for it, Like yeah, and hitting it three hundred and seventy five yards helps with that as opposed to two hundred and fifty or two hundred and sixty five or two hundred sex that's the point I think he doesn't get getting the ball in the hole. Yes, that's the overall point. Be able to everybody, every Tom Dick and Harry A camp Champ that can hit it three seventy five helps like that helps more people get the ball in the hole and shoot you know, kind of low scores maybe without their best game, right or you're seeing fifty six, fifty seven to fifty eight, because yes, the players are good and they're optimized and they're you know, better trained and more serious than ever who knows, I don't know, but that's part of it. But it's also it has to do with the ball going on well, that equipment sending the ball, making the seventy five hundred and seventy eight hundred yard course seem not that challenging.
Speaker 1: Shackelford had a great little blog post about about JT's quotes where he talked about he's like, you know, titleists and the manufacturers pay these guys millions of dollars and they don't even bring up that we have great equipment and these quotes, like he doesn't even mention, Oh, yeah, we have unbelievable equipment, you know, Yeah, that helps us do this, and that's undeniable. Okay, like the equipment level from this year compared to twenty years ago. These guys have, whether it's not just the clubs and the ball, it's the it's the track man, it's the all this stuff. But to just ignore that and say we're just so much better we are, you know, it's just utterly ridiculous, especially when this was the guy that was one of the most vocal about a center lined bunker on a hole on this golf course. That's just you'lding thirty under that he said it was a bad design. It was he didn't do a good job redesigning it. About Gil Hans's redesign where he put a central line bunker on a hole and everybody bitched, and he played it in another fairway to avoid it. And it's like that's actually doing something that's influencing the way these guys have to play the game and making it some of them actually have to think. And it's just a jt. He's a great player. It's fun to watch it when he gets on. It's fun to watch him play golf, but he regularly turns in some of the worst quotes, and it goes back to when he kicked the fan out for a simple you know, getting the bunker. It's just incredibly and I think some of this as just the PGA tour mentality. When you're twenty two and you get on tours, you have no perspective on what real life is.
Speaker 2: So well, someone who does has perspective, a little bit more perspective, a little bit of advance. Tiger Rory this year they've Tiger's to hear justice. I think he just gets too aggressive about it, being like it really bothers me when they say they got the ball, you know, like you don't need to act like, you know, like you've been insulted or affronted that someone said it, because you know who said it this year, Riviera Roy McElroy say bifurcation roll back. I don't know if you said bifurcation rolling back the ball. He came out and said it right away. Tiger many quotes you can find over the history of his career, as he got advanced, as he's seen what his talent is versus what these up and comers are said we should play by you know, bifurcation softball can use the metal bat, We'll use the wood bat. All these are guys with a little bit of perspective. Who's I guess they're quotes those quotes bother JT. They piss them off that he they have he has to hear about that from Tiger and Rory. I don't know. Do you think swamp creatures?
Speaker 1: Do you think it something I was thinking about along these lines. Do you think that there's any correlation possible? And this is just all just random thought, there's no evidence, statistical evidence. Do you think it's a coincidence that Rory hasn't won a major since twenty fourteen and we're the equipment has just become more and more forgiving since then.
Speaker 2: I mean, that's an impossible question to answer. I definitively, I think it's a mix of things. Is wandered in the wilderness mentally with putting with short with wedges, like, he's had different things come in. I don't know. He does pretty well on tour, He's won FedEx Cups multiple he's won Player of the Years. You know, it's hard to say definitively that that's why he hasn't won a major.
Speaker 1: I just wonder when you're the you know, one of the greatest drivers the golf ball of all time, and all of a sudden, equipment renders that skill less and less. I don't know, it's just mitigates. Yeah, it mitigates the guy that hits it really solid and really straight with anything, versus the guy that you know that high toe toe driver goes five yards is still straight. You know.
Speaker 2: JT falls in that category two, right, He's not like some scrub that's getting all the he's in the rory category. He's probably being hurt.
Speaker 1: Well, that's the thing I never understand about these guys. It's like a lot they I think it's like a sales guy. If you tell a sales guy, I'm changing your commission, their immediate reaction is that they're trying to take money away from me, you know, and it could be the greatest commission plan of all time for them, but their first gut reaction is going to be like, they're changing this to take money away from me. And I think that's what happens with these tour pros, is that you know, it's not about it's just we want to separate you know the best players, like I don't know. There are a lot of great guys out there. There are a lot of great players, but you just don't really know. There's you don't know sometimes who is and who isn't. Because the drivers now the easiest club to hit in the bag, and it used to be the hardest club to hit in the bag.
Speaker 2: Another quote quote Roulette, Tiger, you don't have the same type of energy. Guys aren't shooting as high of rounds as they normally would. That's Tiger, I'm gonna you know, paraphrase him now saying some of the advantage he has with crowds being there versus not being there is gone with no crowds because he's used to playing with people. He's used to the ambient, you know, ruckus. He's learned how to play with that for twenty five years or whatever it's been, you know, And he thinks guys are shooting lower because they don't have to deal with that, and some of his advantages have been wiped out by that. Interesting point.
Speaker 1: Rory had similar quote too, Do you have any Yeah, yeah, I think it bleeds in well with it. We could talk about just the no fan thing.
Speaker 2: This is going to sound really bad, McElroy said, but I feel like the last few weeks, I've just been going through the motions. I want to get to an intensity and some sort of fire, but I just haven't been able to. Let's probably do with the atmosphere and probably do with how I'm playing. I'm not inspiring myself, and I'm definitely trying to get inspiration from outside sources to get something going on. I wonder who his outside sources are. Who you could have come in start yelling at him. You know, maybe he's like Roger Sloan, Bob Parsons come in start yelling at him about trying to get him pumped up by the time he was a numb or something. That could be the lack of family atmosphere. I don't think so. Uh So, Anyways, the Rory's uninspired in the playoffs or with no fans this run the back on the return to Golf All Caps and Tigers, saying his advantage is being you know, taken away because guys are able to shoot lower scores. Guys are shooting as high rounds as they normally would.
Speaker 1: Lebron had similar quotes about the NBA bubble too, yeah, about how he's having trouble without fans, and it's it's interesting that you hear it. You're hearing this from some of the greatest players and their respective sports. I think that, you know, at the end of the day, you should be able to win in any circumstance.
Speaker 2: Maybe an argument against the Andy Johnson campaign to fans from all golf professional golf with Tiger and roriors.
Speaker 1: Should distractions be overcoming the exterior distractions in the way of fans be a big part of you know, championship golf. Do you think I mean, if you think.
Speaker 2: That, no, no, no, But I think there is something to the energy perspective.
Speaker 1: I agree with that.
Speaker 2: If you're the best in the world and you've done that, you've won the biggest events in golf for say, I don't know Roy's case a decade or Tiger's case twenty years, and you do it with sort of this crescendo and energy around it when something good happens, that might you know, I think that matters, That the inspiration and energy part might matter.
Speaker 1: So I'm not saying that this is the case, but look at the two major winners we've seen this year, both of them very very little major championship experience.
Speaker 2: You're talking about Maricle and pop Off.
Speaker 1: Yeah, obviously, I think Markle is gonna be when Kelly forgot about that, I forgot about the about the no cut Major. Okay, he doesn't have a lot of champions Tour experience. He's only been out there for a couple of years.
Speaker 2: That's true.
Speaker 1: But you think about like pop Off and Mari Kawa there they were both you know, winners with very little experience in majors, And I would buy the coming down the stretch on a Sunday and a Major might be a little bit easier without fans if you're a young player. Now, I don't think. I don't know where I stand on whether that should. You know, I think that you're still chasing history, you know, like all everything that nothing changed with what pop Off was going to accomplish today or more account and like what came with that, and keeping and keeping that out of her mind for you know, essentially all Night in eighteen holes is astonishing, and same with moreccout. I just I don't know how I what do you think about those quotes?
Speaker 2: I think I've already said yeah, I think it might matter. I think that they're accurate. I think it matters to the guys that are the best, that are used to it or have the most reps with it. Right, I think it does matter. I think it plays into it. But the question is how to compete in that arena and learning. That's how that is the professional competition at the highest level. This is all I've known my whole life and where I've succeeded, and it's it's a little different now. That's all. It's the arena. It's not necessarily I know, it's not the biggest factor. You still got to hit the ball and put in the hole, as JT would say. But I think there is something to it for the guys at the highest level.
Speaker 1: I don't. And here's where I struggle with it for those two is that neither of them have contended. Yeah, it's not like they came up short against somebody down the stretch and it mattered. These guys haven't been even close to Roy.
Speaker 2: A little bit of Colonial maybe, but that's it. I think he didn't he touch the leaderboard Colonial.
Speaker 1: Yeah, No, you're right, You're right.
Speaker 2: They've not been close.
Speaker 1: They haven't. It'd be something if they if these guys each had three top fives. You know Tiger's only played Let's just say Tiger has one top five even but like they haven't even been close to the to the lead. So like to a certain extent, you're just not hitting the shots. You're not playing well enough to be in contention.
Speaker 2: Last bit, anything else on Northern Trust, last one I got to get off his I made a joke on Wednesday preview show is smart and about how featured groups are gonna be by FedEx Cup ranking. Right, So everybody's and Ricky's eighty eight. So how's Ricky Tour Live? You know how they gonna get it, How they're gonna crow barrow him in. Well, they waited until the weekend. Ricky Tour Live always comes through. I got several messages about this, maybe even some from people at the tour that Ricky was featured groups PGA Tour Live on Sunday morning. Didn't have a chance in hell of making it. I think he's out of the FedEx Cup, I believe. But he got his last hurrah for Ricky Tour Live. They made him, they crow bared him in.
Speaker 1: Hey, the golf has restarted.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: DJ Pard seventeen he's on to eighteen here, so Ernie is safe, maybe maybe a tie with an eagle and BG Beach is not out of the woods yet though, because Harris English part seventeen. So they come down the stretch with Harry, Harry and DJ are are nine shots apart to pay I think we could see a Harry Birdie, DJ Eagle, DJ ties Ernie and Matt Remark's and takes down Beg's long standing last player to win by double digits. All right, other events this, Hey, can we talk about the playoffs for a little bit more?
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, of course, it's just a yeah, it's playoff winning time fex Cup.
Speaker 1: I just let's go. I hate the playoffs. I hate the name.
Speaker 2: I hate you said you want to talk about him more. I knew something was.
Speaker 1: Hate the playoffs. I just I can't get over the name. It shouldn't be called the playoffs. It's not a playoff. Not everybody's on the level playground.
Speaker 2: What do you mean? What are you talking about?
Speaker 1: No other sport.
Speaker 2: Because of the points, Yeah, but he starts a different spots.
Speaker 1: It's not a playoff. But if you tie, if you go to a playoff in a tournament, if Harris English made a negative nine on eighteen or whatever he needs to to to tie DJ. They go to a playoff. It's not like DJ was leading for seventy one holes, so he gets a seven shot lead. That's not the way a playoff works. A playoff is like, okay, we go out and we see who wins, and everybody starts from scratch, Like sure, there's like some advantage. Yeah, well, whole court advantage is not the same. It's not like you get a game, you know, it's not like you get three games.
Speaker 2: It's there.
Speaker 1: So I pulled up some just famous playoff quotes, you know, I googled famous playoff quotes, you know, sports playoffs.
Speaker 2: Okay, okay, what about track? What about swimming? Like if you get the best qualifying, you get like the faster lane or something, you get a.
Speaker 1: Better lane, but you don't get a head start.
Speaker 2: True, and then the other thing.
Speaker 1: They're commercial. They're stupid commercial.
Speaker 2: It makes it a little intense.
Speaker 1: Like let me let me tell you something. You can play. The slogan's like you got to play well in three weeks. You can play like complete dog shit in two weeks to still win.
Speaker 2: I agree, I know, I don't. Yeah, and there's like a major championship too, And while doing that, they're saying like those are only four rounds. This is you know, twelve or you know.
Speaker 1: It needs a new name. It's not playoffs. That's just what I'm I've gotten to the point. Whatever. You can keep your stupid format that sucks that nobody cares about. But you can't call it playoffs anymore because the playoffs are completely different. Okay, here's the play Carl Crawford, famous baseball.
Speaker 2: Player, or no, I'm thinking of? Who am I thinking of?
Speaker 1: Joey Crawford?
Speaker 2: No, no, Carl Crawford. Go ahead.
Speaker 1: Whatever happened in the regular season seems to not matter in the playoffs.
Speaker 2: There you go.
Speaker 1: You know what, the FedEx Cup, It really matters what happens in the in the regular season.
Speaker 2: I guess what about Billy horstel Ship in the regular season he won the Cup.
Speaker 1: I'm say, if there needs to be a clean slate if you make the playoffs, if it's if you wanted to be called the playoffs, it has to start from everybody has to start on the level ground. You could give somebody the advantage of better tea times that could be like your home court advantage. You get a better tea time. You know, you could pick who you play with, you know, but everybody's got to start from zero. That's that's a playoff, okay, all right here, here's your boy, your boy Lebron. It would be easier if I didn't make the playoffs, it would hurt less. But then I start thinking about how much fun it is. Do you think anybody cares about whether they make the playoffs or not other than the fact that their cards associated with that?
Speaker 2: Well that's what I Yeah, I think advancing, I think the analogy better. They don't care if they get out this like you think Phils like crying in his coffee today because he didn't get to go to Chicago. We'll talk about him in a minute. But like they were trying to dramatize Charlie Hoffman's approach into eighteen today, like, oh, he needs Eagle to advance. Like Charlie Hoffman, He's made a ton of money. He does not give a shit if he played only one event or not. All he would have cared about in a normal year was getting in right one twenty five. That's it. It's just yeah, Doc Chris Lebron loses first round, he doesn't get to advance. It's like, you know, somebody kicked him in the nuts. Yeah, it's a little different feeling, Doc Rivers. I love the NBA playoffs. It's just a great mental test for each team. When it's really close, usually one team pulls together and the other team comes apart. Have we ever seeing somebody come apart in the under playoff pressure? Has that ever happened? And actually that brings me to another point. I want to bring up TPC Boston.
Speaker 1: It was great. You know, Northeast Northeast or wherever it is in Massachusetts has essentially been in like a drought all summer and it was like a pillow out there.
Speaker 2: And if you have all these stats about telling me all these parts of the country are in a drought all the time, and I don't know, I can't fast check you on the record on that, whatever your weather information. Everybody's always in the essentially in a drought. Ohio is in a drought. California like everybody's always in the drought with you.
Speaker 1: The best player won, right, okay, And everybody's yelling about at least set up if it's the playoffs, set it up hard.
Speaker 2: What do you Okay, Yeah, I know what.
Speaker 1: Is going on that? Like, you know, it's fine, Like DJ was gonna win regardless of what they but like, don't be afraid to push these guys a little. The playoff. That's like what makes playoff basketball or playoff baseball or any playoff great is that it's the it's harder than the regular season. It's more intense conditions.
Speaker 2: You see, Yeah, a file is not a file foul in the regular seasons, maybe not a file in the postseason. Or in baseball, you know, a pitcher has a leash that's two innings, or you know bullpen guys come in the third inning nowadays or fourth inning, like yeah, they're they're yeah, it's it's made more challenging, more intense. I get it. I guess what you're saying there.
Speaker 1: We're gonna see a record scoring performance and DJ would have won regardless the way he played. We played fantastically and really the golf courses job. But at least make it somewhat challenging. Don't make it a pillow.
Speaker 2: You think they can just by fur Yeah the pillow. You think they can make it a lot more challenging than it was. Yes, just like soft firmness.
Speaker 1: Okay, you want like playoffs the greatest player.
Speaker 2: Or what they're working with is what I'm asking, Like, how much more challenging can they make?
Speaker 1: The greatest playoff stories come from adversity. Right, It's whether whether Jordan could get past the Pistons after years of getting knocked out by them. It's whether Lebron can you know, switch teams and and go with his super friends to another title for right, you know it's.
Speaker 2: But your there's your first point. This isn't the playoffs.
Speaker 1: So that's my point. It's just not a player. It needs to change. They need to change their name to like the regular season coronation or the top the top player cash grab.
Speaker 2: The next cup. That's fine.
Speaker 1: I want him to cut it to fifty guys, you do match play or something. No, just cut it to fifty. Everybody in the top fifty has had a great season. They make the playoffs.
Speaker 2: What it would be your cuts per event going from one to BMW, what would you cut it from fifty to.
Speaker 1: Fifty to thirty six to sixteen and.
Speaker 2: Then sixteen is a matchplay?
Speaker 1: Maybe sixteen for all that giant pile of cash.
Speaker 2: Okay, all right, you get you keep.
Speaker 1: Your card if you get get the one.
Speaker 2: To start in Atlanta.
Speaker 1: No, everybody starts from scratch, top fifty, everybody from scratch, and then you have a playoff. Nobody's arguing like number fifty has had a great year, you know, nobody's saying, oh you have. You don't deserve to be.
Speaker 2: Here, right right? Right?
Speaker 1: No. Like I was watching on Thursday or Friday and they showed Bo Hostler. I'm like, yeah, didn't know what his status was on to it.
Speaker 2: I yeah, I thought he had lost status. I don't think he's in like any majors, right.
Speaker 1: I don't. He's in the playoffs.
Speaker 2: Right, that's a good that's that's not a yeah. That's a good exhibit against this being Ultimate August or whatever it is, anything else from the Northern Trust.
Speaker 1: No, say anymore. I'm done.
Speaker 2: We've got two more weeks.
Speaker 1: I want to be more positive.
Speaker 2: You know, we got two more weeks. We've got two more weeks.
Speaker 1: They're in my backyard.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'll be a fields. We'll talk about that on Wednesday. We got to talk about Daniel Berger. We're at fifty five minutes or something. We can talk about him on Wednesday. That's not changing. I love it. I'm amused by it. It makes no sense, but that you know, I kind of enjoy it. Other winners this week on the Bye dot Com Tour at the Nationwide Children's Hospital Championship. Looks like Curtis Luck escapes with the one shot win over Theo Humphrey, Taylor Montgomery and Cameron Young.
Speaker 1: That was a great finish.
Speaker 2: Former US Amateur winner, Congrats to Curtis Luck on the European Tour on the Manor Swing the coffee pot.
Speaker 1: Did you see the end of that tournament of the KFT. Yeah, I love Cameron Young is going to be a very very great player. Curtis Luck had like one seventy into eighteen. Cameron Young had forty five yards. Oh god, it's four hundred and twenty yard hold.
Speaker 2: Another edition to the Cameron Zone. Excited about that.
Speaker 1: Hopefully he gets it would be cool story. They have that one thing that's kind of cool. It's kind of actually like a playoff system. Everybody started from zero. The top ten or top I think it's top five of the the what would have been Web Finals gets the US Open Birth and I guess what everybody started from zero, because that's.
Speaker 2: Great a playoff system, adding steaks, adding some sort of steaks right.
Speaker 1: Where everybody starts from zero, right right right?
Speaker 2: Uh, last, but not least, the whales open. Sorry, we're giving a short shrift. It was just happened earlier this morning. Uh we have.
Speaker 1: I can't wait for this pronunciation.
Speaker 2: Someone who I originally Romain legs q. I'm told it's lang Esk. We had someone from across the pond just submitted pronunciation. Guy that someone who played with Romayne, who might not be right. That pronunciation might not be right as in juniors. Let me get this up. I gotta do that again. Lengus. He's French. His name's Greg war Greg. He's sending me the pronunciation. I think he's got to have it right if that's he played with them. Roman langask amateur went, former British amateur winner, made the cut of the Open, made the cut of the Masters. After doing that like a young stud, youngish, you know, unsurprising to see him win on the European.
Speaker 1: I hope he has the patented, you know, seemingly patented French personality. I hope he's Yeah, I do the song that's what I'm most interested. I don't know enough I've I've always been. I've followed him since that British sham when he played in the Masters and everything. I've been kind of like fallen to see he got up through the Challenge Tour. It hasn't been like a perfect assent, but he's still got to be twenty four to twenty five years old. I haven't looked into exactly his age, but yeah, I hope he's just cut from that same French golfer cloth that we've got so many greats from.
Speaker 2: It's fantastic, it's good. Look. Congrats to him. He beats out Sammy Vaalamaki who won the Musk. Out of that, I know another young up and comer. Uh last, but not least little bit of news. I think that's all our results from the weekend. We have Phil playing on Monday on the Champions Tour on Top of the Rock.
Speaker 1: Didn't he say you never was gonna play?
Speaker 2: It's unbelievable. I don't know. Can I reach you some tea times?
Speaker 1: Yes?
Speaker 2: Tell you like this is like.
Speaker 1: A preview we were previewing the Champions to her Top of the Rock.
Speaker 2: I'm just gonna say, like, if this wasn't at top of the rock where there's Buffalo's room and you gotta take a cart to just make your way from to get through it standing upright, I'd be into this. Listen to these groups. VJ Lonner, Darren Clark. Okay, not so much that one, but I.
Speaker 1: Like Darren Clark. Who doesn't like watching Darren Clark.
Speaker 2: Much of a player anymore.
Speaker 1: He ripped heaters on the course though he's got He's got more.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he needs to get on the Monty plane. Then here's Phil's parent, goosen Stricker and Phil they were on some sort of legitimate venue would be interesting to watch. Then behind them Ernie d l three and Jerry Kelly wouldn't be a horrible Monday watch, right, some of the those names are VJ, Phil, Ernie Davis Ratief.
Speaker 1: Like, I wonder if they like appearance fees down there. Get all the people to Branton. That's a good point. Johnny Morris bass pro shops. Guy's got some deep pockets. Oh guess what.
Speaker 2: I think you're onto something here. I think you're onto something here. Why Phil's dropped into the Ozarks in the middle of the week and playing champions tour. I don't wanna, I don't wanna. I don't want to say anything that I don't know for sure. But this is a guy who cuts his thumb on the scale, puts his thumb on the ATM machine and could probably make that happen. I don't know.
Speaker 1: Breaking news. Yeah, Ernie's safe, Yes, yes, fantastic. I'm waiting what happened you finished twenty nine? Oh? DJ has a putt two from about five feet to tie beg Vegi's uh rain could be over. Oh, no, four footer to tie beg to win by ten.
Speaker 2: I cannot find if this Charles Schwabs series at Ozarks National. I cannot tell if it's on TV. Won't assume given the Monday start it will be on TV, but you'll have to google that for yourselves.
Speaker 1: So I won't be watching that even with that star power.
Speaker 2: All right, Shane Birch, I think won the first one Friday night, just to give him his due. Okay, anything else? You good? Any other recaps? Weekend thoughts we get into it. You're waiting for DJ to make this five footer?
Speaker 1: No, No, I'm I'm Harris English might make Bogey though he might just give it to him. Oh no, he must he made Bogey. He's gonna win by eleven. Oh my god, he's gonna smash Beche's he's gonna make Beche's accomplishment.
Speaker 2: Look, look, I wonder if faris English has some sort of Brian Gay and tipathy. Oh he's a he's a Georgia boy. He probably hates so it doesn't want to see the guy.
Speaker 1: That's it. And he's still finished. Second. He had he could make Bogue, he'd finish second. I think there's something going on.
Speaker 2: I should look into this. Do you take a dive?
Speaker 1: DJ wins by eleven?
Speaker 2: Unbelievable, ridiculous, that's ridiculous.
Speaker 1: That's disrespected Brian Gaze when all right.
Speaker 2: That's it. Everyone enjoy your Mondays.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 2: You know, playoffs continue to roll on despite what.
Speaker 1: I mean. There's gonna be the DJ stopper, like the Boo stopper, I.
Speaker 2: Mean probably himself. It's gonna slip and fall on the stairs. I don't know that's as likely as anything else. So all right, and you're good. Final parting thoughts. I'm good to have you back. You may not be. It may be jumping in and out, so it's good to have you back. Everyone, Enjoy your Mondays and we will be back with you Wednesday for more hot playoff action, not playoffs