Speaker 1: Broadcasting live from the Abraham Lincoln Radio Studio, the George Washington Broadcast Center, Jack Armstrong and Show, Katty.
Speaker 2: Armstrong and Jetty and Key arms draw.
Speaker 3: Wow, there is a lot going on live from the studio c of Jeez senor Hey, what do you want?
Speaker 2: Not want me to do that anymore? That's it keeps it that you're.
Speaker 3: Not really giving me space space.
Speaker 2: I kind of like the overlaps. Let me do.
Speaker 3: Put them the bowels of the Armstrong and Getty Communications compound.
Speaker 4: And today we're toiling under the title of our show, We're gonna have her rehearse. Then a whole civilization will die tonight or incherior fair you can you can't Wolverines rain spree.
Speaker 2: So this is all happening really fast.
Speaker 3: So Israel put out a statement in Persian, stay off the trains in Iran, dude. The president of Iran put out a statement saying fourteen million Iranians have committed to die for their country.
Speaker 2: Tonight.
Speaker 5: Trump just put out a statement, as Joe referenced, saying a whole civilization is going to die.
Speaker 2: Whole night crap for planning purposes.
Speaker 5: Tonight Trump's whole statement, a whole civilization will die tonight, never to be brought back again.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 3: I don't want that to happen, but it probably will, he warned grimly.
Speaker 5: Wow, talking about the bridges and the power plants and everything like that. And the former Secretary State from the last administration just saw him on MSNBC say that what Trump is promising would be war crimes. So you have the Secretary of State now saying what Trump is proposing are war crimes, hours before Trump vows to take out an entire civilization.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 3: Yeah, this is some heavy s Yeah, I don't know the whole Jake Sullivan saying strong things. We actually have a bit of a montage of a couple of Democrats saying things that are just so patently ridiculously false that it's just anything goes is you point it out more than once, there's no cost for saying something completely ridiculous anymore, because within your circle, either people believe you or they think, well, he's just signaling that he's really with us, and I appreciate.
Speaker 1: Well.
Speaker 5: You gotta admit, though, if you went back, you wouldn't have to go back very many years.
Speaker 2: If the Secretary of State under.
Speaker 1: H. W.
Speaker 5: Bush said what Bill Clinton was about to do would be a war crime.
Speaker 2: It would be a giant deal. Yeah, it would have been.
Speaker 5: It would have been a huge deal. Yeah, we just didn't do that that many years ago. Ah, but holy crap.
Speaker 2: So I don't know, I feel like we ought to.
Speaker 3: Should we have an expert on or something about that, or who would be a good expert or fair arbitrar of the what's a war crime and what's not and all that sort of stuff? Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, I wouldn't mind that. It's it's very much in the ivy beholder. Is the honest to gosh truth when you're talking about attacking civilian infrastructure?
Speaker 2: Well, no, it's military or dual use okay, or isn't it?
Speaker 3: I don't know you also, yeah, at least you know what that would be helpful in that they could lay out the questions to ask, if not the answers, you also have the reality of it.
Speaker 5: And this is what you said yesterday, and this is true of all international law. Who's gonna stop me?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 5: How many war crimes has putin committed? Will he ever pay a price for it?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 3: No, no, please? On a daily basis, he commits them. It's like having declaring that you're in violation of the fairy court. Now the fairies say that's a legal okay, So what happens now? Oh?
Speaker 5: Nothing, in case anybody's screaming at their radio or headphones or watch or Amazon dot or why don't we just say listening device. I understand we can't use well putin commits for war crimes, so we should.
Speaker 2: Do as a as a defe. No no, no, no, no no no.
Speaker 5: It's just the whole idea of international law is yeah.
Speaker 2: Uh, it's a lovely idea. Period.
Speaker 5: Trump said, we've got this is what he said yesterday, not in a truth post.
Speaker 2: We'll play this clip later, I suppose.
Speaker 5: But he said in four hours, we're going to take out all the bridges and power plants.
Speaker 2: You think that's what's gonna happen. Mmmm. It's one of several possibilities I.
Speaker 5: Feel like so far, Trump either pulls up way short of what he promised. That's the Taco crowd, which is a stupid scenario, but it's a negotiating thing. And so anyway, he either pulls up way short, he promises something huge then doesn't do it at all, or he goes way beyond what he said he was going to do with Maduro or several different strikes in Iran, often with a little.
Speaker 3: Feint of you, I don't know, I can't decide what to do, and then you know, six hours later, Maduro's on a plane and handcuffs and the ice shades, thinking, boy, this night is taking a turn.
Speaker 2: Huh and what turns out to be a very popular hoodie.
Speaker 3: Yes, yes, well, I feel like you can't pull out of this one unless Iran really conceded a whole bunch of stuff.
Speaker 5: You know, they shaved their beards. They come out and they say, I was that part of the deal. They have to shave their beirds.
Speaker 3: They come out, and the strait is open unless that happens.
Speaker 5: I feel Trump, like Trump has to follow through on this. He's gone so far with these promises. I think he's got to follow through.
Speaker 3: I've come across a small handful of learned commentators who are echoing what I said yesterday, which is, it's also entirely possible that there's a limited but significant example of you think I'm kidding. All right, look at this now. The big, the big burrito is coming up tomorrow. Unless you seriously sit down to talk.
Speaker 5: I don't know if you can do that after what he said yesterday and has said this morning, I'm going.
Speaker 2: To give him one more chance. Sure that would be a very Trumpian thing.
Speaker 5: Within four hours, we're taking out all the bridges and power plants.
Speaker 3: All civilization will die tonight, never to be brought back again.
Speaker 2: Wait what.
Speaker 5: Who talks like that other than Alexander the Great and Genghis Khan?
Speaker 2: Right right? I don't want that to happen, but it probably will. Oh my god. Yeah.
Speaker 5: How about the President of Iran saying, and I don't know how he came up with this number, fourteen million Iranians are committed to dying tonight. They're trying to put together human chains that will get around the power plants.
Speaker 2: Civilians, this would be.
Speaker 5: The crowd that where's the you know, this is the year thirteen hundred garb and chance death to America in the street.
Speaker 3: You're just twenty percent of the population that loves the mullas.
Speaker 5: If you're chanting death to America and we're the great Satan, and go ahead and stand in front of the power plant, then enjoy your afterlife.
Speaker 3: Oh, having given ample warning that we were going to attack, those targets. At some point, you got to let people make their own decisions.
Speaker 2: Well, is that a decision you get to make or are they going to be? Uh? A whole bunch of bad guys and guns arounded people up in certain neighborhoods saying you need to go stand over by that power plant.
Speaker 3: I guess what you're volunteering for? The human chain. Yeah, it's ugly and horrifying. So why this regime must be ended? Whether it can be ended is an open question.
Speaker 5: God dang it, it's amazing. I was re listening to the book.
Speaker 3: I mentioned this book last week, Ike's Bluff, because there's a lot of that sort of stuff going on right now with international diplomacy and US versus Europe and that sort of stuff.
Speaker 5: But anyway, it features a part in there. Eisenhower. I forget which awful thing happened, but he saw a lot of awful things happen in a variety of wars he was involved with. And he said, people are humans are stupid. He wrote in his own diary about just our willingness to kill each other rather than come to an agreement of some sort.
Speaker 2: That's been my observation too. It is amazing.
Speaker 5: You would think when it comes down to somebody's gonna die, we could sit down and think, rather than die, let's work something out.
Speaker 2: But that's just not ever gonna happen.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know, Katie, it would have been funnier if my title had been you can't, No, you can't.
Speaker 2: That's pretty good.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, that was Yeah, you can't, you can't Wolverine's reign subreme. Yes, except the day I say you can't, mother, Mother, I'm afraid you can't.
Speaker 5: It's like the other day when my son said neither. I said, we are not neither people. We are neither people. We are not a neither family.
Speaker 2: How are you? You're no son of mine? You can't say that.
Speaker 5: Let's let's start the show officially. I'm Jack Armstrong. He's Joe Getty on this it is It's Tuesday, April seventh, which might go down as a date in history. There, you're twenty twenty six, we are armstrung and geddy, and we approve of this program.
Speaker 2: Let's begin that officially.
Speaker 3: According to SEC rules of Regulations, the show starts at mark Over.
Speaker 4: To the champions Hell to Michigan for the first time in thirty seven years.
Speaker 2: The Wolverines within the national title.
Speaker 5: You know what would be fun, It'll never happen. It would be impossible to do. It be interesting if you could run the same tournament five times with the same teams. I guarantee you you'd get five different results. Almost impossible. I think that you've done some years. Maybe you'd get the same entire tournament. I mean, just the winner, I think it, But the sixty four starting with their sixty four, I think it's very unlikely you'd end up with the same champion, let alone you know all the other lower tier results, right, I mean, because you know you watch seven game series in the NBA. Great teams get beaten by less teams all all the time, several times in a seven game series. But just that's what makes the tournament so exciting. I guess in Michigan got lucky and hot at the right time.
Speaker 3: Someday, perhaps, man, we'll learn to control parallel universes and we can stage that tournament. Then you'd be like the super universal champion. Of course, we'll destroy ourselves before then.
Speaker 5: Trump goes on to say, after saying a whole civilization will die tonight. Who knows, well, we will find out tonight one of the most important moments in the long and complex history of the world. Forty seven years of extortion, corruption and death will finally end. God bless the great people of Iran.
Speaker 3: I like when Trump says stuff like the long and complex history of the world, like you need to point that out. It's like saying the late great Abraham Lincoln. I think it's just a way of saying, this is a we have a giant monument to him, this is late and great. I think in this case, it's just way of saying, this is a really, really big deal. I'm about to do something historic.
Speaker 2: He is.
Speaker 5: I mean, if he follows through on his promise, this will be talked about for a long time.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and it's funny you've brought this up before, But imagining how Trump will be described fifty years from now, it'll be grossly oversimplified, because that's what happens with history. But the combination of being completely out of control and doing completely unnecessary damage in a lot of ways, together with bold moves that needed to happen that nobody had the guts to do.
Speaker 5: It's possible. It's not gonna be very complex, depending on how tonight goes.
Speaker 2: Ah, I see your point.
Speaker 5: If tonight unleashes a horrifying period, that'll be the whole first paragraph of the story of Donald Trump.
Speaker 2: Yeah, really most of the book.
Speaker 5: What is tomorrow going to look like if we actually, in four hours, well, wipe out a civilization, Uh, take out all the bridges and power plants and thousands and thousands of civilians die. What What's what's tomorrow gonna look like in Iran? Will they just be walking around in the rubble looking for water?
Speaker 3: What will the reaction around the world be, What will the reaction in Congress be?
Speaker 5: Holy cow? All right, we got maning. That's a heck of a thing. May you live in interesting times? We've got Katie's headlines next. An interesting conversation with Claude last night, and I want to talk about that a little bit later. I don't understand how these things work. Did they did they did they program them to talk to you like their people?
Speaker 3: Or is that just an accident of the intelligence think it's quite deliberate. Yeah, yeah, okay, Well I got a specific question around it. I love how we're I love how we're saying. I talked to Claude last night. Well, yeah, Yeah, let's figure out who's reporting what.
Speaker 2: It's the lead story with Katie Green and Katie.
Speaker 6: Already the alphabet networks first ABC. Trump threatens quote a whole civilization will die tonight as deal Deadline loans, CNN US strikes military targets on strategic Iranian carg Island, and NBC Vance says the war in Iran will conclude quote very shortly. But how that happens is ultimately up to the Iranians.
Speaker 2: Military strikes and carg Island.
Speaker 5: That would be an interesting faint if we promised destroying the civilization, But we're just gonna move on carg Island, which has been the threat for a long time, and they're.
Speaker 2: All prepared around Tehran. Sure, deception absolutely part of warfare.
Speaker 6: USA. Today, Artemis two crew flies by the Moon's far side and begins journey back home to Earth.
Speaker 2: They're already headed back home.
Speaker 5: The way vacations are, it seems like you just got there and it's time to go home.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I know, that's why you gotta you gotta have the right ratio. It so it got to be at least two to one, uh, enjoyment to travel at least.
Speaker 5: Yeah, this is like you flew clear across the country, went to the zoo, got on the plane the same day, and came back.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 6: From from the Washington Post. At Easter egg Roll, Trump tells children about war and mocks Biden.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that was aloys.
Speaker 5: That was an interesting setting for some of the comments he made about the war. With the rabbit standing next to him yesterday, that was funny.
Speaker 6: And he's sitting at a table with a bunch of kids that are coloring, and they're having him sign or their their little coloring page, and he goes, if it was Biden, this would have.
Speaker 2: Been an auto pen. It would have been an autopen.
Speaker 6: Never forget from tech Radar, talking to AI feels easier than talking to a real person. Twenty six percent of gen z are already dating Ai.
Speaker 2: No they aren't, that's what this says. No they aren't.
Speaker 5: But the first part is weird. The second part's just not true.
Speaker 6: From the New York Post, woman jumps into action to stave struggling swimmer, only to learn that he's wanted for double murder.
Speaker 2: Oh wow, oh fan, Now that's a twist.
Speaker 6: Uh huh. Study fines unethical brain rot. Why are millions of people watching Ai fruits have affairs on TikTok.
Speaker 2: I have no idea. What the boy.
Speaker 6: It's a new category called Ai fruit drama.
Speaker 3: Fruit drama literally like an apple is in love with a banana.
Speaker 6: Hun has like a soap opera storyline, and there's an affair.
Speaker 2: I have to check that out.
Speaker 3: I've always found peaches very attractive.
Speaker 6: And finally, the Babylon Bee about.
Speaker 2: Egg, I'm straight, yes, look it.
Speaker 3: What's wrong is your microphone malfunctioning.
Speaker 2: Is because of you?
Speaker 6: Two Bablon b look out, shouts female astronaut as Artemis ship gets within five thousand miles of the moon.
Speaker 2: Wow, now that made me laugh. We're not even closed. It's fine, jeez, Armstrong and Getty.
Speaker 1: The entire country could be taken out in one night, and that night might be tomorrow night, where every bridge in Iran will be decimated by twelve o'clock tomorrow night, where every power plant in Iran will be out of business, burning, exploding and never to be used again. I mean complete demolition by twelve o'clock and it'll happen over a period of four hours if we wanted to.
Speaker 2: We don't want that to happen.
Speaker 1: We may even get involved with helping them rebuild their nation. And you know what, if that's the caset thing we want to do is start with power plants, which are among the most expensive thing and bridges.
Speaker 5: Every bridge and power plant will be taken out, going to destroy the whole civilization. As his Truth Social Posts said, today, you.
Speaker 3: Got a golf course with an island green. We're taking out that bridge. You're gonna have to use a rowboat.
Speaker 5: In Bremer said, it looks bad for a US president to threaten genocide.
Speaker 2: Seems a little hot for the rhetoric.
Speaker 3: Now, ye, well, the quote about destroying an entire civilization, it was edging close.
Speaker 2: To the G word. Yeah, I suppose.
Speaker 5: I'm probably just giving Trump the leeway of he exaggerates, trump purbly, Trump purbly. That's a good word if if you're gonna go literally and uh, pretend you know anybody else's at it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, sounds pretty genocide. Mm hmmm.
Speaker 5: If Putin came out and said by eight o'clock tonight, I'm going to take out the entire civilization of Ukraine, we'd.
Speaker 2: Be calling that a genocide threat.
Speaker 5: Yes, although there would be the caveat of if Ukraine were trying to get a nuclear bomb, and had and was had been promising for a half a century to wipe them out if they ever got a hold of it. And you're saying to them, if you give up your uranium and play ball, we're not gonna wipe you all out.
Speaker 2: It is a little bit.
Speaker 5: He can be friends, will help you rebuild the stuff we've taken out, the dead coming up.
Speaker 3: They've started they've started a streaming channel for pets in China stay with us.
Speaker 2: Trying to lighten the mood. I don't know. I have no problem with being really dark. I don't know if it's dark.
Speaker 5: But this is a huge freaking deal, huge freaking deal. This could be among the biggest deals, could end up being the biggest deals of our lifetime. In terms of a story. Depending on how things go tonight, it could be Pearl Harbory certainly a battle of the bulgy. Okay, so Trump threatens every bridge, every power plant. I just saw this former Secretary of State under Biden, Jake Sullivan say, a national security advisor. I'll get a blinkoln and Jake Sullivan mixed up.
Speaker 3: Okay, national security, you know what, I trade one for the the a couple of numb skulls of the skinny dudes.
Speaker 5: Said these would be war crimes. So did a little researching around what people are saying. There are very few mainstream legal experts saying this is clearly not a war crime. Of course, anything mainstream is left leaning.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I read a great quote the other day.
Speaker 3: NGOs and think tanks exist so that journalists can get a quote that expresses what they believe.
Speaker 2: That's pretty good. Yeah.
Speaker 5: The main not necessarily the war crime argument is as Joe has already pointed out, the key idea is dual use infrastructure, power plants, Bridges can be legal targets if they support military operations.
Speaker 2: Under the laws of war.
Speaker 5: A target is allowed if it provides a definite military advantage.
Speaker 2: Well, then that gets into the eye of the beholder.
Speaker 5: I mean, does a bridge helping people get out of the city on the weekend to get to the suburb give a military advantage?
Speaker 2: Well, if you're going to.
Speaker 3: Roll thanks across and it does, I guess right right. You'd have to get really, really loyally to get to the bottom of that.
Speaker 5: One legal argument cited in a news coverage today tied said infrastructure tied to military use in any way could be lawful to strike.
Speaker 3: Well, that is pretty broad. It'd be pretty hard to come up with any infrastructure that you could. You could clearly make the argument it'd be impossible to use this power planter bridge.
Speaker 2: For any military use. Exactly. Could you even make that argument?
Speaker 5: An escalating attacks on infrastructure can be a legitimate wartime tactic. Such targets can qualify as lawful if they're part of an enemy's war capacity, which is even beyond the farms.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you've got to knock out the power grid because that's the power grid that powers that missile factory. That's what I was saying before. I mean, you get into this and you realize pretty quickly, all right, the people in favor of it are gonna say it's not a war crime. Those who are against it, they are going to say it, Yeah, it is, and they'll yell at each other for a while.
Speaker 2: Then history will move on and never talk about it again.
Speaker 5: The strongest version of the defense would be if it helps the military, it's a valid target, or yeah, if it helps that country wage war and it's a valid target.
Speaker 2: So yeah, what you just said makes sense. And of course this will all be.
Speaker 3: Settled eventually in the International Court of War Crimes. Oh, that's right, it doesn't exist. There isn't even a final arbiter.
Speaker 5: Well, it's gonna be very tiring hearing about that all day long, the whole war crimes. And we will and maybe for the next several days, weeks, months, or years again, depending on how things go tonight. If Trump fulfills this promise of wiping out a civilization, it's gonna make the papers.
Speaker 3: Well, and there'll be a giant refugee crisis too, so that could destabilize, you know, certainly the region.
Speaker 5: So I was listened to a podcast yesterday and they had an Iranian reporter on this Iranian reporter said, the population is still really gung ho for the strike the United States is making because they hate the regime so much. I mean, if you were a protester at all, you probably know somebody that.
Speaker 2: Died practically guaranteed.
Speaker 5: Yeah, like a close friend or family member was tortured or killed just a couple of weeks ago by the regime.
Speaker 3: I'm sure it's one of those situations where there's hardly a family that wasn't touched by the hand of death.
Speaker 5: So I could see why you'd give quite a bit of leeway to the United States for bomb and crap because you hate the regime so much. At what point could that turn, do you think to where the even the population that hates the regime.
Speaker 2: Hates us for destroying their country so much.
Speaker 3: If the grandest of Trump's threats comes true, I think we're at a real tipping point for that. There's a great email that's going to be part of a mailbag about that. I hate to steal the thunder since I'm kind of stealing the thought. But whether it's the Greenland thing or Canada, or you know, a handful of other examples, Trump scenes incapable of realizing, Okay, now this is unproductive, this is causing more harm than good. Let's rain in a little bit. Sometimes he can't find the break. It's pretty tough.
Speaker 5: Though, I mean, because to live in Iran, especially the younger crowd, and they have so many more young people as a percentage than we do. But it's very young country to have a regime that murders and tortures your friends. Things that have to get pretty bad before you'd be upset about what happened. But if by this time tomorrow. People are just stumbling around looking for water, no electricity, chaos in the streets. It's anarchy. Whoever's got the guns rules. You might think, you know what, it was better last week.
Speaker 2: Yeah, possible.
Speaker 3: And it's possible to do the right thing in the wrong way, as we've learned through various chapters of history.
Speaker 2: So why Trump is the all time go bigger, go home? He is go big. Whether it's making a ballroom.
Speaker 5: Or taken out a civilization, whatever, whatever you're doing, go bigger, go home.
Speaker 3: Or expressing the desire to perhaps have a security agreement with Greenland, Yeah.
Speaker 5: Or you know, criticizing someone who just died. Whatever, whatever it is, go bigger, go home. I'm glad it's dead.
Speaker 2: I hated it. Yeah, I know.
Speaker 3: I Again, I'm amazed at your capacity to laugh at this stuff, because it feels like the unintended and unfortunate consequences of his excesses are accumulating.
Speaker 2: We'll see, we'll know a lot more tomorrow. Holy crap.
Speaker 3: Well, and my point is the month after that, and the month after that and the month after that, there are a lot of stories we don't cover because you know, number one, we're not the anti Trump left media and they're little in the weedsy, but there are negative consequences piling up in various departments of government and that sort of thing.
Speaker 2: I'm trying to figure out.
Speaker 3: Do I hope he pulls back before five o'clock our time on the West Coast or not, I suppose if I if I'm using my rational, good person brain, I'm hoping he pulls back. The kind of wants to see what happened, is hoping he's follows through.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I like the idea of a demonstration strike of significance, but not wiping out a civilization. You know what I'd love to hear, And I got to do some digging. Is an expert, like a real expert on the IRGC with given their interests and their control, what will their probable reaction.
Speaker 2: To the various scenarios be. Because I don't know, I'll tell.
Speaker 5: You what I don't want and then we can take a break and get the mail bag. Here's what I would This would be the worst case scenario. We do take out all the bridges, all the water plants, everything. You have absolute anarchy, chaos in the streets. Every country on planet Earth, including our closest friends decrize it a war crimes.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 5: Snap polls come out, we're like eighty five percent of Americans, including lots of Republicans.
Speaker 3: A majority of Republicans say that was awful. Congress convenes emergency sessions, et cetera.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's that's on the table, right it is? Yeah? Wow, Okay, mail Bag next, I.
Speaker 5: Think I'm learning leaning. It's a diversion tactic. Gonna take carg Islands fully. Anyway, we'll talk more about that later. Got interesting AI conversation that happened, Lots of stuf to talk about.
Speaker 2: I hope you can stick around.
Speaker 3: Here's your freedom loving quote of the day. This one from William to comes to Sherman, the Civil War general on the Union winning side. I believe this is from his letter to the city fathers of Atlanta. I'm pretty sure of it. War is cruelty. There's no use trying to reform it. The crueler it is, the sooner it will be over. I've read most of that on the air at least once. Maybe it's time to read it again. There are some who debate his logic. I think he's absolutely right. Mailbag drop us a note, will you mail Bag at Armstrong e getty dot com. Keep it as short as you can, but you know, within reason, if you're brilliant, you're making great points. Ramble little. Obviously, people are concerned with the war situation.
Speaker 2: One of our main themes.
Speaker 3: Ryan from Houston dear cold Warrior and old fancy Jack. Whether Trump is right or wrong, I don't want the destruction of a civilization to come down to one man. Congress needs to get involved. This from another Jay in San Jose. If Trump takes down the Iranian regime, it will bring a prosperity to the world not seen before.
Speaker 2: It opens up Gaza.
Speaker 3: It's the end of Hesbelah, and Iran is sitting on immense wealth.
Speaker 2: It can be spent peacefully.
Speaker 3: All the other countries in the regions seem to be basically on board with trade, not war. Love him or hate him, He saw around this corner back in his first term and we're all just catching up. Yeah, well, he's not threatening the regime will be gone by the end of the day. He's threatening the civilization will be gone by the end of the day. Again, Trump purbly, I think this from Paolo Guys. Trump says a lot of wacky stuff, and only he knows why he says it, although I have to wonder here if he isn't risking fairly broad support Iran the same way as undisciplined handling of immigration enforcement turned people against him. There, and he cites a couple of articles the deadline threatening the entire civilization.
Speaker 5: Okay, it's hard to imagine how it is to your benefit to say an entire a whole civilization will die tonight.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 5: I mean that makes his other hyperbolic statements throughout all the years seem like nothing, like he was just stretching and getting loose, getting ready for this one. Yeah, this is just because it's interesting. Oh you know what, do we have time? Yeah, we'll do this one because longer and save that one. Hey, big freedom and old man Jack writes ed, I was a B fifty two.
Speaker 2: Tail gunner back in the day.
Speaker 3: While the communications for Town aircrew has certainly changed, the ejection process is basically the same as when I was in while I had a signal mirror and a flare gun. I'm sure they now have encrypted satellite communications.
Speaker 2: Correct.
Speaker 3: And then he talks about similar technology he uses now as a private pilot as to ejection imagine being accelerated from zero to forty miles per hour in one tenth of a second. You sustained about wintgs of force, and that can tear muscles, cause hemorrhages in the eyes, blow out your ear, drums, et cetera. You're sitting on your survival kit, and a half second after the rocket motor fires, the seat kicks you out quote unquote, a seat separation device literally kicks you in the ass to separate you from the seat, which weighs a few hundred pounds. The seat crashes through the ground while your parachute deploys. Ooof your survival so already you are seriously traumatized as you float to the ground. Your survival kit contains some signaling devices, camouflage, makeup water space blanket, fire making device, iodine tablets to purify water, and an mre. It may contain a map of the local area, but I'm pretty sure this is now a GPS device. Also contains a small American flag, a translation card that says I am an American airman in multiple languages, and a couple of gold sovereigns you can use to bribe the locals. Your weapon is the sidearm you are flying with and you have very limited ammo ah. Your flight suit has been sterilized before the mission. Your name, rank, squad and patch are all put on with velcro, and for a combat mission, all of that comes off before you take off.
Speaker 2: Interesting, I didn't know that. Then. All airmen undergrows undergo survival training.
Speaker 3: There are basic land survival, water survival, desert survival, jungle survival, and Arctic survival courses in which you take depends on the environment you're expected to fly in. Obviously, there's also a simulated pow camp where you are captured while trying to evade. There is a solo experience any group experience where they teach you various interrogation techniques and how to resist them without being killed. The John Wayne name, rank, serial number, data birth approach is taught, but slightly decourage because it leads to a lot of torture and death. The instructors speak their own made up language and they're very good at stressing you physically without leaving any permanent damage. They have several stress positions and mechanical torture devices that you're subjected to that simulate torture. Trust me, it doesn't take long before your muscles are quivling and you're feeling the pain. There's a little let me finish this, just a couple more sentences as to whether to fight or surrender. You're taught to do it you think will allow for the best survival. But if you fire a weapon or harm the enemy, you are still combatant and the enemy has the legal right to kill you.
Speaker 1: No.
Speaker 3: What I'm interested in is why colonel was flying this mission. Once you become a senior officer, you become a planner, manager, mentor to young troop center, typically considered too valuable to risk.
Speaker 2: Interesting. Thanks Ed. I was kind of surprised the guy was a colonel. He too.
Speaker 5: I was going to bring this up with Mike Leines, but I thought it might be too indelicate. Is there any situation where you kill yourself rather than be taken captured? And I had thought about that, And then I was listening to the Eisenhower book, and when Dwight Eisenhower's son was in Korea, he had told his son, if you ever captured, I want you to kill yourself because he was worried about the son of Dwight Eisenhower being too valuable a prize for the enemy. So he said, if you're captured and kill yourself before they have a chance to take you.
Speaker 3: Hey, Dad, how about maybe they don't treat me too bad because I am your son, and they'll parade me around and use me for propaganda and stuff.
Speaker 2: But I get to that point.
Speaker 5: Could and then that was the concern, right, that they captured this guy and use them for propaganda. Could it be so bad that we would want them to kill themselves rather than be used for propaganda? Do we do that or not?
Speaker 2: Probably not a case by case decision. Oh boy, if.
Speaker 5: You know any more about that email or a textas I thought that was interesting, Dwight Eisenhower telling his son that, holy crap, we got a lot more to come. If you miss a segment.
Speaker 3: Gets the podcast Armstrong and Getty on demand Armstrong and Getty