Speaker 1: Welcome to zero I am Akshatrati this week farewell to fossil fuels. At the United Nations Climate Summit in Dubai in December twenty twenty three, all countries committed to transitioning away from fossil fuels, and yet in the years since there has been little progress. So there was a renewed push last year at COP thirty one in Brazil, more than eighty countries got together to seek a commitment to develop road maps to phase out fossil fuels. But even then they could not get it into the final agreement. So finally, out of frustration, these countries created their own forum to find ways to make progress.
Speaker 2: This was the first conference where you have sixty countries, academics, scientists, indigenous people, civil society unions at the table, business leaders, and you're not talking about whether fossil fuel face that needs to happen. You're talking about.
Speaker 1: How Sibora Berman is the chair of the Fossil Fuel Non Proliferation Treaty Initiative and the conference she's talking about took place in Santa Marta in Colombia in April. It was the inaugural conference on Transitioning Away from fossil fuels, and it looked to answer some practical questions. How exactly can a country like Colombia, dependent on fossil fuels for its economic development start to face down its extraction. What happens to fossil fuel import dependent countries like France when this phase down begins. Ministers and climate on voys from fifty seven countries showed up to try to find answers, and Berman says that the fossil fuels supply shock created by the Iran War made the resolve of many of these countries in attendance a lot stronger. So this week on Zero I asked Subora what did the conference achieve, why she believes this kind of conference can succeed where cop summits have not, and what would convince a country like Saudi Arabia to give up on its fossil fuels. As always, if you have feedback for the show, please email us at Zero Pod at Bloomberg dot net. Here's my conversation with Siborah Berman. Welcome to the show, Supporah Berman.
Speaker 2: Thanks for having me.
Speaker 1: So it's been nearly a month since the first conference on the Transition away from fossil fuels, concluded in Santa Marta in Columbia, and it's been nearly three months since the war on Iran began. Fossil fuels and our dependence on them is very much the central issue right now. But before we talk about all of it, tell the listeners a little bit about your journey working on climate and energy issues. What got you to this point.
Speaker 2: Well, I really started my journey in the Canadian oil sands because I'm Canadian, and for many years I was working on forest conservation and the trade of wooden paper products. Actually, and I actually remember the moment when I decided I had to start working on climate change and fossil fuels. There was a map came across my desk of millions of hectors of forests that were dying in Canada as a result of beetlekill and fires. And I remember that moment, thinking, God, I so in my entire adult life trying to protect these old growth forests from industrial logging, and now they're going up in flame or they're being eaten by beetles, you know, because beetles used to die at a certain temperature and now they don't because it's warmer. And it was at that moment that I realized, you know, in my head, I worked on forest conservation and other people worked on climate change, and I realized, no, I need to start working on climate change. These issues, as you know better than most, are super complicated. But what's not complicated is, you know, there are three things causing eighty six percent of the carbon trapped in our atmosphere. It's oil, gas and coal. In Canada at the time had a prime minister, Prime Minister Harper, who was determined to make Canada and oil superpower. Is going to triple the size of the oil sands. He had proposed five different pipelines. And so I started at home, really actually started around forest because of course to get it the oil, they have to cut down all the forests. But my time in the oil sands made me realize that no country is going to do this alone. Even when we got a new administration, the Trudeau administration, and you know, Trudeau came to Paris with his hand on his heart Canada's back and started putting in place a lot of really good policies, but on the demand side, to reduce the demand, to reduce the emissions. And it didn't make sense to me because demand is not Canada's problem. We don't have that big of a population. It's the fact that we produce so much very heavy carbon oil, as you know, and it's being export And so I started asking the question, what about production? Are we constraining supply? How do we do fossil fuel phase out if we're growing the problem? And for a long time, you know, I got a lot of pats on the head. You don't really understand climate policy, and it didn't make any sense to me. So I started looking around and trying to figure out what are other countries doing that are big supply side fossil fuel producers. You know, what's Norway doing, you know what's Argentina doing, what's happening across Africa? And as I started reaching out to academics around the world and climate policy experts around the world, I realized that there was this just this huge gap that fossil fuel supply and production and constraining production was not on the table either in the climate negotiations or in climate policy. And that's when I started organizing and started thinking about how do you do fossil fuel phase out? And can you get countries to cooperate? You know, as the TRADEAU administration told me, Yes, we need to phase out fossil fuels, but as long as the world uses oil, it might as well be ours. But every country wants to be the last barrel sold.
Speaker 1: This is something that you know, we've talked about in the context of the climate summits, the COP meetings for a long time that we've had thirty years of these meetings. It really took until twenty twenty three, and until COP twenty eight to even get the mention of fossil fuels in a consensus driven document that assigned at the end of it. And of course we've known about the science that fossil fuel consumption must be reduced to address climate change for much longer than thirty years. Why is it that it took until twenty twenty six for a global conference where governments, okay, not all government but a lot of governments, something like sixty countries came together to finally talk about transitioning away from fossil fuels. What was it that was needed to make this meeting in Santa Marta happen.
Speaker 2: There's not one thing that was needed. It was a lot of things, and it's been shifting over were the last five years. I would say probably since the Glasgow cop Actually, our first campaign of the Fossil Fuel Treaty at Glasgow was it's time to say the f words. At cop the words oil, gas and coal. Fossil fuels don't even appear in the Paris Agreement these it's not In some ways it's not a surprise that this was a plan by the oil and gas industry, the most powerful and one of the most profitable industries in the history of the world, to ensure that they wouldn't be faced with production constraints because that's their bottom line, right, That's how they make them that's how they make those crazy profits two point eight billion dollars a day every day for the last fifty years. And they were protecting those profits and overwhelming the climate negotiations and climate policy spaces with a framework that was about technology. We can just put in place some technologies and reduce emissions, preparel and we're gonna be fine. And I think it led to a real group think, a really warped approach. An economist would say, you can't cut something with one half of the scissors, and demand is one side and supply is the other half. We need to also cut supply, especially given the position that we're in. And so over the last five years we've seen that conversation grow within COPS but stagnate. And I think the tipping point that led to this conference was the moment in blem when countries realized that despite all their efforts, despite eighty countries signing onto the fossil fuel phase out commitment in Belem, despite a call for a production of road maps on fossil fuel phase out, they were not going to get anything significant or a plan in that agreement. And that's because the UN process and the COPS are by consensus. That was by design. Thirty years ago. Saudi Arabia put that on the table and insisted on it. And so when you have a consensus based process, you end up with vested interest being able to weaken the outcomes. And so when Columbia proposed this conference and Netherlands agreed to co host it outside the UN process, a diplomatic space, but outside the UN process without some of the big producers who have held these negotiations back, without them even present, and no fossil fuel lobbyists present, you know a lot of people said, Okay, let's try it, and when that conference was announced at Belam, there was a huge standing ovation on the floor.
Speaker 1: This conference happens in Santa Marta in April twenty twenty six, and you know, about sixty countries show up. But my understanding is that more countries would have showed up if there was, as some perceived, a threat of a treaty to be signed at the end of this. So I know that the conference was focused on figuring out how countries and how the world can transition away from fossil fuels. But you represent the Fossil Fuel Nonproliferation treat which is a separate but a related initiative. Talk me through what this treaty is and why some countries bolt at the fact that, oh, we don't want to sign another treaty, hence we are not showing up at Santa Marta.
Speaker 2: First of all, this conference wouldn't have happened without the Fossil Field Treaty, and I think that's important to understand. The idea actually was proposed almost two years ago at the ministerial meeting of a fossil Fossil Field Treaty meeting. So the countries who are participating in the development of the treaty, which is right now eighteen nation states and there's another ten coming as observers into the technical meetings and the ministerial meetings. At that conference, it was proposed a standalone diplomatic conference on fossil fuel phase out, and it was based on historical analysis because when you look at landmines, when you look at chemical weapons, nuclear a lot of these issues that were in transigent inside the UN system had separate outside processes and then developed treaties and then were brought back inside the UN system. So the Ottawa Convention that Canada hosted on land mines, which eventually led to the Landmine Treaty. So it was based on that history that we put together a proposal and said, look, we need a separate process in order to start developing this idea. And then Columbia announced it actually at Climate Week last year, and then and the Netherlin's joined them as co hosts in Belem and it became a different conference. So the conference was not about the fossil Fuel Treaty. It was about fossil fuel phase out, but certainly the fossil Fuel Treaty is one track of the discussions. There were also talks about subsidies. There were talks about the ISDS, trade agreements and other barriers to fossil fuel phase out, but fossil Fuel Treaty was one part of the conference. It's true that some of the countries, specifically you know, global North countries, have said that they don't need a new treaty, that that scares them, and I think we need to ask why they're scared to have new global governance mechanisms that might be legally binding and cooperation on fossil fuel phase out. The Fossil Field Treaty is about countries coordinating together to create shared timelines, and there's a couple of reasons why that's critical. One is because of the governance gap. I mean, if you don't have that, what you have is countries creating their own national phase out plans. The moment we're in demands more than that. And if we only have voluntary agreements, then you don't have equity, for example, built into those agreements. The wealthy countries in the North, they can produce their own phase out plans, sure the majority of the world can't do it. And when Columbia joined the treaty, this is a really important point actually because Columbia joined the treaty and President Petro said, we're one of the largest coal exporterers in the world. Every day we're making the problem worse because we can't stop, and we can't stop unless we have that are frameworks, international cooperation, new financial systems, because there are a lot of countries out there that are dramatically increasing fossil fuel production just to feed their debt. So this is about finance.
Speaker 1: You talked about how there are barriers to getting a transitioning away from fossil fuel agreement among countries. The one that we've talked plenty about on this podcast is the fossil fuel industry and many of the oil producing nations that have very powerful lobbies. But you said there are other issues. There are trade issues, their debt issues. Talk us through those issues that came up at this meeting and what was the sort of path forward that countries were pointing to.
Speaker 2: When you start looking at the barriers to fossil fuel face it, what you see is that there are financial and structural barriers that are pushing countries into greater production, and that the system it doesn't you know, it benefits the countries and the global North and the countries who are historically and they have had a real economic leg up as a result of the fossil fuel industry. So when you look at analysis of how fast countries need to stop expansion and wind down, I mean globally, we need to stop expansion now, and the science is very clear we need absolute emissions and production to climb now because we already have enough oil, gas and coal underproduction on the surface of the planet or fields that are that are being used to take us well past two degrees. So how quickly does the UK or Canada wind down versus Nigeria or a country that is very dependent on fossil fuel revenues for a huge component of their GDP or to meet their debt, and debt emerged in Santa Marta as an absolutely critical issue because there are just so many countries that are planning new fossil fuel production.
Speaker 1: And many of these are developing countries in Africa. So you know, one statistic here on debt, for example, is that in twenty twenty five, African economies spent as much as sixteen percent of their export in earnings on servicing debt. And these are places, many of them highly indebted and looking to find ways to reduce their debt, thus developing new projects, which from an equity perspective you would say is the right thing for them to do. But how do you square the circle in a way that would allow them to actually transition away from fossil fuels and grow economically, which is something that they desperately want.
Speaker 2: You find ways to relieve that debt because they need the space, the financial space, and the time to do economic diversification and competitiveness studies and replace those export revenues with something else. This year, for example, the IMF required several countries to show that they were going to increase fossil fuel production in order to receive their loans. And even the climate finance grants that you're seeing out there, the Green Climate Fund, et cetera, is often loans instead of grants. Let's look at renewable energy. People say, well, they could just invest in renewable energy instead, but the majority of the capital that's going into renewable energy is not good. Ninety eight percent last year didn't go to the Global South because of interest rates. So you have to deal with some of these financial structures. So what's on the table at the Fossil Fuel Treaty that countries are considering. One is debt swaps, and we've done a deep dive with some energy finance experts from the Global South into looking at what would that look like, what would a debt for renewables swap look like. The other big one that's emerging is debt resolution facilities supporting the countries to actually assess historical debts which are often much higher than they should be, and to renegotiate debts. Then there's debt suspension or even debt cancelation. These issues are absolutely critical for countries to operate on in order to relieve that pressure valve to be able to give countries the space to stop expanding the problem. So in the Fossil Fuel Treaty, what we're doing is putting in front of the countries some refined proposals on debt, but also on new forms of investment in trade and different ways for them to cooperate to replace fossil fuel revenues at scale and speed, like buyers clubs, divestment of sovereign wealth funds, and then on the investment in trade, looking at some really interesting options for international taxes and levies. Some of these mechanisms are going to be essential.
Speaker 1: After the break, I asked Sabora what happens next and why China wasn't invited to the conference, And Hey, if you like what you're listening to and want to help support zero, take a couple of minutes, give us a reading, write you share this episode with someone else we think might enjoy it. It helps new listeners find the show. Thank you. What happens next? This meeting concluded? Was there anything more concrete that you think came out of this meeting and what happens next?
Speaker 2: I think there's a number of concrete things, and it's not going to be that this the plan for a global fossil fuel phase out is not going to live in one place. It's not going to be one one tool or one agreement. And so I'm really excited about is what we felt in Santa Marta, what you saw on people's faces, Like it's hard to describe now a month out, but the fact is that for all this time, if there was a discussion about fossil fuel phase out, it was about arguments of whether it needed to happen. This was the first conference where you have sixty countries, academics, scientists, indigenous people, civil society unions, at the table, business leaders, and you're not talking about weather, fossil fuel face that needs to happen. You're talking about how and so what came out of that is a commitment to continue the process. So that's really important. Continue the diplomatic conference convening countries and having these conversations outside the UN space, and Tuvalu and Ireland agreed to host the second conference in twenty twenty seven and preparations are already underway for that conference. But secondly, there were outcomes that were proposed by the existing chairs, Colombia and the Netherlands, and some of those will live back inside the COT processes, and that's good. It's not going to live in one place. So there will be more national road maps and many countries committed to doing those, and I think that process will likely happen more in with support from the Brazilian roadmap process inside the COP process as part of countries and DC's as part of the global stock take, individual countries are going to start putting forward their roadmaps and increasing ambition on fossil fuel phase out. I think that this conference has changed the game. It is kind of the antidote to the climate hoax. Drill baby, drill noise we're hearing from the United States. It's country saying yes, we're going to work on fossil fuel phase out. We're going to do it in several different places.
Speaker 1: And this conference was planned before, obviously the war started, and the wars put the conversation around dependence on fossil fuels, especially on the importing countries most affected by it, even higher. Did that change a dynamic of this conference? Do you think hugely?
Speaker 2: You know that the crisis in the strait of Hormos isn't a disruption of the system. It's a revelation of how broken the system already is. And so it didn't weaken the case for phase out. It made it undeniable. It made it an emergency meeting in so many ways. And fossil fuel phase out was already an urgent climate priority, but it became an urgent economic necessity, particularly for Global South economies and major fossil fuel importers, countries with limited reserves, and it became for most countries an issue of economic and national security. I saw tip for the first time where you saw a lot of countries, especially the countries who are dependent on importing fossil fuels, start to recognize that fossil fuel expansion wasn't a development opportunity. It would lead to more dependency.
Speaker 1: But it's not like a country came out and said, you know, we do have fossil fuels. This shows us our dependence and we are actually not going to expand our fossil fuels. No developing country has done so so far.
Speaker 2: Do you expect yes, I mean, first of all, yes, Colombia has exactly done that. Columbia said we know, we need to stop expanding.
Speaker 1: Colombia is also about to have an election where there is a very strong likelihood that Gustavo Petro's policies which lead to the point of fossil fuel phase out, may be reversed because the winds are political winds up blowing in the opposite direction. So is the one country, but it's the one country that may also become the exception to the exception.
Speaker 2: It is, and that's in part because we're seeing enormous amounts of fear mongering around price and scarcity, which is what you see from the fossil fuel industry and advertising and in political spaces, and so yes, we will see what happens in Colombia. But we also heard many other countries from the floor, African nations in Nigeria for example, you know, saying that recognizing the need for phase out and saying we would like to do this, but we can't. And that's exactly why you need international cooperation and new global governance mechanisms for countries to cooperate to change the system, to support each other to ensure that it's possible.
Speaker 1: And Nigeria is also talking about joining the International Energy Agency, so it is part of OPEQ right now, but it also wants to be part of the International Energy Agency, which of course is focused not just on the oil side, but also on the transition. Now, one country that was missing at this meeting was China. Now it is the world's largest polluter, of course, a huge fossil fuel extractor in coal, doesn't have that much oil and gas. It does have oil and gas, but not that much.
Speaker 2: It is financing oil and gas around the world though it is.
Speaker 1: But it has also done the most to tackle climate change by building all these next generation industries that would give it a trade edge. You know, it is the world's largest trade surplus, a trillion dollars worth of trade surplus, a lot of it down to selling these clean energy products. So China wasn't there. I understand, it wasn't even invited.
Speaker 2: Why you know that, I cannot say, because the invitation list was made up by the current co hosts, which were the Netherlands and Columbia, and they didn't release a list of criteria of how they came up with the I think it was only eighty countries that were invited at sixty game and something like that, and so we I'm not really sure, but I do know from talking to Minister Mana from Tuvalu that there is the criteria under development of the new co hosts that they really want to be transparent about which countries can come and which can't and what are the what shows a real commitment to fossil fuel phase out. They really want countries there who are committed to fossil fuel phase out. And there was some strange invitations. I thought, as a Canadian, I didn't know really what Canada was doing there when they have they're dramatically expanding production in chact. My country was the only country who spoke from the floor and managed to not say the words fossil fuels, so that was fascinating. We'll see what Tuvalu and Ireland do, but I expect China will be invited to the next conference. I expect the US and the UAE will not. But we're going to have to see what the next co hosts do, because they really who co hosts these conferences, because it's not within the UN system, they designed the process.
Speaker 1: Well, it is an interesting geopolitical moment we are living through. The chaos allows you to think differently. So you know the fact that China actually had been planning for the closure of the Street of Hormuz from a security perspective for twenty years. Part of it was, of course going and getting fossil fuels from other places, but part of it was building this clean energy industry internally so that if this happens, China doesn't get affected as drastically as it could have had it not prepared. We also have the UAE quitting Opek saying we'd like to drill as much as possible, as quickly as possible, which, in a very weird way, is a phase out conversation. Okay, it's not saying we'll stop extracting what we have, but it is saying we see that this thing is coming to an end. We'd like to make as much money as possible now so that we can transition away to an economy that is not dependent on fossil fuels. So you could be looking at in writing the UAE, it's a creative moment for years.
Speaker 2: Academics, you know, they refer to it as the green paradox, when when a problem is identified and countries start moving on it, then there is then it gets much worse before it gets better. That there is a kind of last gasp in this case of the fossil fuel industry where they're trying to get new infrastructure and they're trying to get new development in because they can see the writing on the wall. And there is no question that all the oil producers can see the writing on the wall. With the uptaken electric vehicles, that is beyond anyone's imagination in the last year.
Speaker 1: There is an aspect of this which I know you have given a thought about, which is that the other treaties where this coalition of willing came together and then grew affected things that weren't so central to how any economy worked. This has always come up as a climate challenge, which is, yes, you can do it for ozone depleting gases because it's a small industry, and sure it takes effort, but you can convince them to get a Montreal Protocol and then a Kigali amendment. Carbon fossil fuels are so embedded in everything, how do you get countries to actually join whence it's such a central pain point for them, Like, you know, what would it take to convince Saudi Arabia.
Speaker 2: They have to see the benefits of it and not just the costs. Right, So first of all, you know, we needed We couldn't have done this treaty ten years ago because renewables have to be cheaper than fossil fuels, because you have to have the technology at scale. We have that now. Then you need the you know, incentive, which of course the Climate Emergency is incentive, but it's not enough. It's proven to be not enough. Now you have a real recognition, maybe not for Saudi Arabia, but certainly for a lot of other countries of how vulnerable the fossil fuel system makes them, how they are so dependent on a very small number of companies, people's or people or countries and they want to get out from under that. The number of countries I heard say these wars have made us realize. You know, there was one country in Europe said to me, we went from being dependent on Putin's gas to being dependent on Trump's gas. And now even the right in my country are saying that fossil fuel phase out is a national and energy security priority.
Speaker 1: So if we've talked a little bit about how the moment towards this conversation is growing, but there are also lots of signs of the momentum actually going away, how do you get more than sixty countries into this conversation Because if sixty countries agreed to do this and the remainder one hundred and thirty don't, this doesn't work right.
Speaker 2: It's true, but I think it's not about how many. And that's you know, it's a game that everyone likes to play, like, oh, it's sixty, and will it be eighty next year? And you know, ken it be one hundred and ninety. When you look back in history at other major moments that five other treaties that changed the game on those issues, you had a small group of countries that were a coalition of the willing who created really strong rules and those and those rules and frameworks in some cases, like with the Landmine Treaty, were designed, were locked and then it's referred to in political theories the build it and they will come model. So here's a plan, we've decided on it, these thirty countries, and now we're inviting other countries to join. And then other countries joined. I mean one hundred and sixty countries joined the Landmine Treaty, and the big players some of them never joined, but they changed their practices because that process and those rules shifted the social norm so it became unacceptable in other negotiations of foreign policy if you were a country that was stockpiling or using more land mines or stockpiling nuclear weapons. So that social norm shift will have an impact. So I personally don't think it's about whether there are more countries. It's whether there are committed countries. I actually don't even think it should be a coalition of the willing. It should be a coalition of the ambitious. What I believe and what I think is happening, is that courage is contagious as these countries step out like Prattro did, like Denmark did with creating BOGA and committing to end expansion, you know, like the UK has recently done, it starts to move into other countries. Leadership at this moment in history matters, and it matters as much as the finance and as much as the technology. We have the technology there now, and we know that renewables are cheaper than fossil fuels and battery storage is way cheaper than we thought it is now. The difference between this oil war and previous oil wars is when they happened, we didn't have the solutions at scale at a price that was viable that we have now. But what has to shift is the politics and the culture and the courage, and I think this process helps ensure that that can happen.
Speaker 1: Thank you, Suburga, thank you. It's an exciting moment, and thank you for listening to Zero. Now for the sound of the week. That is the call of the Colombian chachalaka, a frugivrous bird that is one of Colombia's almost nine thousand endemic species. If you like this episode, please take a moment to rate and review the show on Apple podcasts, YouTube, and Spotify. This episode was produced by Oscar boyd Our. The music is composed by Wonderly Special Thanks to Somarsadi, Laura Milan and Sharan chen i'm Akshadrati back soon.