Speaker 1: Hey, hey, hey, we're back, We're black, We're round.
Speaker 2: And this I was trying to hit you with the bass there.
Speaker 3: Coming in with the with the alto. Were you an alto? Sopranos is alto high?
Speaker 2: That sounds like a high.
Speaker 1: No, sopranos are the high ones. The altos are the for women are the low ones.
Speaker 2: I was never anything regarding vocal prowess. I was, however, first chair of clarinets in the concert band at Fayette High School in Faithful, Georgia. I'll have you know. The concert band was the lesser band than the symphony band. So I was the best worst clarinet player, and I wore you know what, first chair. I was like the bombsa. You could not tell me anything about my clarinet skills.
Speaker 3: It was, what are you crazy?
Speaker 2: It's great being the captain of the bad clarinet players because the bar is so low and you're the best out of all of them. So honestly, oh, I come at me like it's like you set your expectations low and you end up happier.
Speaker 3: Right now, Well, I I was. I never.
Speaker 1: I mean I sang in choir only because the school that I went to, especially the middle school that I went to was like heavy on choir, which is now I look back on it, that was odd, like everyone saying in choir whatever choir.
Speaker 3: I mean, I wasn't some great singer, but it was for fun.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: But what I did joined in high school was I joined the step team.
Speaker 3: Because I grew up in a largely Caucasian.
Speaker 2: I'm surprised they even had a step team. Based on what you've told me about your school, what.
Speaker 3: It was, I think it had to be.
Speaker 1: Maybe it was like sophomore year there was a young brown sister named Cherrelle that moved from Newark to Westfield. Shout out to you, Charrell. So Charrell brought with her all these wonder for black things and we were like, oh, what's that?
Speaker 2: So she was like the first because you know, when expectations are low, like you know, like you come to a new school where there aren't very many black kids and you're the black kid who knows how to do step, then you're like first chair of the step dancers, like you might have been a mediocre step dancer, you know what I mean.
Speaker 3: Like she was the coolest.
Speaker 1: We were like Sorelle teaches your teachers, your Black Day, Yes, like the.
Speaker 3: Five Black Kids.
Speaker 1: So she brought step to us and let's just say I was all the way back. I was so terrible, but I was determined. I said, oh no, I'm going to be.
Speaker 2: On the side. Yea, I need.
Speaker 1: I was terrible, but I will say it was really a lot of fun. But yeah, so that was my that was my horrible group participation. But it was, like I said, it was a lot of fun. Although she was like, girl, you have to go all the way in the back because you.
Speaker 3: Are off off with them. How are you gonna be African with no rhythm?
Speaker 2: See, that's the thing that's like, It's so the stereotype works against you. It's the same thing with my husband, and well, bless his heart, he's not the best dancer. Like he dances though, and it's hard for people out there. It's hard to find a partner who will like dance with you at the wedding or at the friends event or whatever, you know. So he would try. But if the Latin song feels like a but shot that comes on mangue, he's sitting his butt down real fast. And his younger brother can really dance and soak in his fiance and any way, he gets a lot of shit for for not being like the best but Shota dancer, And you know, I'm sad for him because the expectations are too hot. Meanwhile, I just swing my hips and they're like oh, like they're like, yeah, I look at that one, because again, low expectations. We should just title this show Low Expectations. Yeah. I once had an idea for a book that every time, but every time I described it, it made me sound so sad. But I and every time I tried to explain the premise, people will look at me like are you okay? Because my whole idea was it was literally a book about how everyone would be happier if we just expected less from everything. Expected less from your partner, you're going to find expected less from the job that you have. And I think I still think that this is true. I believe science would back me up on this. When you have less expectations for what an outcome will be, or lower expectations than you end up being happier because you're grateful that anything happened, you know what I mean. But yeah, but that's just so against the American mindset around and I'm not trying to get too philosophical. But I ended up just like, stop talking about it because people will look at me like, like I was, you know, had four heads.
Speaker 3: What do you mean maybe like less is less.
Speaker 2: Stratified with like less than excellence? What satisfied with like a partner who can't be you know all seventy five different friends and family and sexual God and God? Is that you need in your life? What? No no one wants to like admit.
Speaker 1: That, admit now that maybe they're not having like you know, well whatever, because I'm just like that I love that it won't get better than this.
Speaker 2: No one wants I'm saying it. I'm like, we're brown ambition, not not brown. It's okay brown.
Speaker 3: So so but like he comes back.
Speaker 1: So I know last week we talked about a hard conversation, So I had one today. Okay, Oh my gosh, I want to tell you all day stress stress, stressed like thought about him, literally took a walk beforehand, took a nap, like stomach and bubble guts, sweating, and I'm like, Tiffany, really all leading up to this conversation and it just it went.
Speaker 2: Okay, we would know what but Baltimore, what how long had like, how long was this conversation coming? Did you ask for it? Had it been hearing for a while? Saying any specifics about what it was about, Well, I'll say it's about money. I'll just leave it at that. That Like, so, ye, it was about money. And it was just.
Speaker 1: Like I said, I'm was I told myself this is what I told myself to kind of feel better. I was like, before the conversation, I was like, you know, Tippy, I know your stomach's inns, I know you feel like a little uncomfortable, But guess what, girl, You're about to have this conversation and that that is done.
Speaker 3: Girl, that's done. That's my move. Yeah, no, it's not done.
Speaker 1: I didn't anticipate that some hard conversations are actually hard conversations plural.
Speaker 3: Okay, so it's not it's not it's not resolved.
Speaker 1: If it wasn't some like no knockdown, drag out like bite or anything like that. But it's just it's not resolved to more conversations to be had. And I'm like, are you freaking kidding me? Like that was the one thing I was leading on.
Speaker 2: Well do you at least so what was do you think that it's leading to more conversations because the first conversation was so hard, and like, well, yeah, so just tell me more, like what happened in the first conversation And was it just that there was so much to unpack that you realize is it like the meeting that you think is going to be half an hour and then you end up we need really need to do twenty different things and we need to have some follow up meeting to discuss and make sure we really cover it cover our tracks.
Speaker 3: Well, yeah, it was.
Speaker 1: It was, well, this is not like this is actually the second of the com first the first time it didn't it was only like like five minutes because we didn't have much time.
Speaker 3: I was like, okay, we will reconvene.
Speaker 1: And like talk about it next week and just like really like lean into it. So I was like great, even though the first time we talked about we were supposed to really talk about it, but we just didn't get a chance because it was like, you know, time was like running thin and I'm like, damn it, I've been in Nots all week to talk about it and it's only like five minutes literally.
Speaker 3: Like, hey, we we really should talk about this.
Speaker 1: Thing, and I'm just like, ah, but I you know, because I had already saved them all the anxiety. Yeah, and so today I was like, no, we're plucked, We're we're plowing ahead. And I just was like, you know, plowing ahead, sharing how I found. She was sharing how she felt and like and it wasn't like I said it was. There was no yelling or anything. It was like super calm, and but it was very clear that it was like, yep, we both agreed that we don't agree. And I was like, wait, well, I'm not gonna lie.
Speaker 3: I had not planned for that. Oh I did not.
Speaker 2: Oh oh so you expected to. You expected to kind of like get what you wanted out of the conversation or to have them understand where you were coming from. But oh, this is just every fight my husband and I have ever had, so yeah, continue.
Speaker 1: So I thought that at the end she was going to be like, you know what, you know what I see?
Speaker 2: Yea, yeah, tell me tell me how right?
Speaker 3: You were like, yeah, exactly, you know what.
Speaker 1: I didn't see what you meant at first, but now that you fully explained it, girl, yes I agree.
Speaker 3: I don't know why.
Speaker 1: I just thought that's what it was, but it was more like you know what I hear, you still don't.
Speaker 2: Agree though it was the worst, that's the worst, yes.
Speaker 1: And I'm like, wait, so now we're going to have another conversation, but so I think we're going to bring in maybe like a like a neutral party to have a conversation with us.
Speaker 2: Okay, mediator. I've had to use a professional mediator. I mean not a professional, but in my professional life, I have needed to bring in a third party to be there to witness the discussion, just as like, yeah, it's helpful, it's helpful.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and I think so too.
Speaker 1: And I think that it's just I just feel like lately in business that every time I solve an issue, because usually I'm pretty I've gotten much better at like like managing the stress of what it comes to being like, you know, to running a business. So websites done, Okay, you know we need a new hire quickly.
Speaker 3: Because you know X y Z is leading on.
Speaker 1: You know she's doesn't feel well, Okay, I've gotten so much better at managing the day to day putting out the fire component of business. And I'm like, I feel like, you know, I mean, I sleep wildlight now, like but lately the fires are blue, you know, like usually fires are like you know, like I think blue is like when the fire is hotter, right, is that what it is?
Speaker 3: When it's like what you're.
Speaker 2: Saying, Yeah, the hottest is the hottest part of the flame is the blue part.
Speaker 1: Yes, And so I'm like, wait what And it seems like why am I putting out blue flames over and over and over again? And I'm not gonna lie. It's taking like this like emotional toll that I'm not used to that. I used to feel like this in the very beginning of business, when I didn't know how to manage anything, you know, so I.
Speaker 3: Was like ah all the time.
Speaker 1: And now I'm like, oh, but you know, you're season tifty, You're ten years in so, like I said, up until I would say maybe like three or four months ago, you know, I've been really good at like that kind of thing and at like managing.
Speaker 3: But now it's just different now.
Speaker 1: And I'm like, but one thing I've learned after ten years of business, and the part that sucks is like I already know what's happening because I've been here so many times before. I know what's happening, and I'm like, uh, Frank, so something good is happening. Whenever I am growing to the next level, this always happens that there is a period of heavy uncomfortableness where everything sucks and I want to quit. So I know that's what's happening, but I'm still like I want to quit. Yes, everything, and so that's what's happened. So I know one hundred thousand percent that that's what's happening, but it doesn't make it easier. I'm just like, I don't want to do it. I don't want to.
Speaker 2: You're going through hell. Keep going. That's the chant that helps me sometimes.
Speaker 1: I just so, I mean, like it's not that me obviously. I mean I'm really blessed. I mean, thank God.
Speaker 3: You know, home is good.
Speaker 1: You know, my husband is good, my sisters are good, my parents are good, my friends are good. So all that's good and honestly the true things. Business actually has literally never been better. So that's not it. It's just there isn't no I'm growing, Like I know, there's an emotional growth that's tied to like this external growth that I have to meet this like oh this external growth internally, and I'm not you know, and I know that. I know it's like, well, Timmy, you have to put on your big girl panting. It's like you have been avoiding like growing this part of yourself for a long time, and it's time now. And I've been like, wait one more year, one more you're being a punk, please, and like the external part, what's happening in my life? It's like, no, girl, no, we have allowed you for forty years to navigate in this space of like internal smallness in this one area of your life, and literally you have to grow up in this one area. You have to boss up and you have to be like okay, and you have to push through or you you know, like there's no option. It's either this or you stay. Not even because I already know what's going to happen if I don't push through. It's not that I'm going to be allowed to stay at this level. You actually move backwards. So I mean, I know it. It's just honestly, it freaking sucks. I hope you know. I share this with y'all because I want you to know that, like, even when even in success, there's you know, there's strife, there's gut wrenching moments.
Speaker 3: Even like, you know, literally nothing's wrong.
Speaker 1: We had our bus month yet in business, but like yeah, there's still aspects that I'm learning and growing and it freaking sucks. And I'm just like but I'm like literally every year, I used to tell myself that this is the year I was gonna work on this part of myself, this character challenge. I spoke, ooh, this is the year, Tiffany that we're going to work on like the hard conversations part of you.
Speaker 3: And then I'm like, you know what I'm gonna work on.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna get in basiline instead, I want to get a gym membership.
Speaker 3: Oh that's what I'll do.
Speaker 1: Let's work on this booty or like I'm gonna be a better friend or I'm gonna be a better auntie this year. So every year I kind of set like goals and like this is always on the list.
Speaker 3: And I'm like, yeah, I don't think I think I'm gonna put this one to the side.
Speaker 1: So this is the year that like it's forcing my hand, like, girl, you are not going to be able to elevate to the next level.
Speaker 3: So, like I just said, it's just like.
Speaker 2: Have you ever read the Year of Yes by Shonda rh No, but I heard you're gonna say yes. Oh it's so you need to read it. It's actually a quick read. But it's about how Shonda, who was incredibly insecure, and it's different because her insecurities and her shyness and her social anxiety in part from her her weight issues. So she struggled with her weight and anyway. And there was one year that she decided because she was always the writer inside of her shell, like never went out, never said yes to any invitations in Hollywood, would just hide from any and then she decided one year like, Okay, I'm done with this. And it wasn't like she had some big epiphany. It was like it's like you're saying, it's just you kind of get tired of having the same conversation with yourself and you're like, you know what, this is the year I'm just going to say yes to everything. And I really recommend it. I even recommend the audiobook because she reads it herself. I think I might have read the audio listened to the audiobook version, but that's great, what I'll say, because I have the same internal dialogue like I think a lot of us do. There's always that like personal flaw like character flaw or flawsa plural that you have that aren't as easy to imagine, Like they're not as clear cut a path, Like you want to fit into the bikini in six weeks. You know you need to eat less and work out more. But it's almost like with these you know, character like the internal things that we have that can hinder us or hold us back, Like you've said, there's not as clear a path, and so it's it's harder and it's also harder to measure success. And what I all I'll say is like I hope that you celebrate even though it has led to more conversations. You should still like celebrate the win that you had, the conversation you might not have had, and put yourself on the back and acknowledge that it may not be like a clear linear path and to get to the point where you're able to like it may always be uncomfortable, and I think it probably will because you're a human being uncomfortable to have tough conversations with people. But it's like, you know, how much time do you spend agonizing over it? Do you always get bubble gut? Okay, No, this time I didn't get the bubble cut. That time I didn't it wasn't in the bathroom for four hours. And like, give yourself a pat if you improve a little bit. And that's and this is just like the type of thing that I've worked on coming back from all the postpartum anxiety. Is okay, if I fell asleep, you know, within forty five minutes last night instead of four hours, Like that's a win, okay, And just mark those little those little wins because it isn't as Yeah, it's just not as linear as some of the goals like you talked about before, you know, working out, et cetera.
Speaker 3: No, that is really good advice. I didn't think about that.
Speaker 1: Like the fact is you had the conversation Tippany, that's bigger than most Normally I'd be.
Speaker 3: Like, uh oh I double booked. Hey, hey sis, can we talk?
Speaker 1: Oh my god, I would be the master avoid Like sometimes Superman will ask me. They're like talk to Supergirl about something difficult, like maybe like you know, they've got into like an argument. He's a key talk to her, so you know, because maybe they're arguing over like you know, her not cleaning her room and whatever. She's getting sassy and he's a key talk to her, and I'm looking at him like to who, I.
Speaker 3: Don't want to talk to a teenager. She's gonna kill me.
Speaker 1: So I'm just yeah, Like it literally permeates every aspect of my life, like it's it reached like a fever pitch like me to every aspect of my life. I could be at the supermarket and be like the person that's standing in too close behind me, and I'm like, you should really tell them six feet please, And like in my inside, I'm like dying.
Speaker 3: I'm like, you should say no, don't say nothing to you should say no. Even how did that say?
Speaker 2: He is?
Speaker 3: You can get.
Speaker 1: Like yeah, so it's yeah, So I'm I'm gonna But honestly, one thing I like I've learned from you many like I absolutely need to get a therapist. I've been saying it for a long time anyway, because like you know, like I'm typically decent at managing stress. Well, let me not say that, because who knows if I don't even know if I'm decent. Who knows what decent is? But you know, I don't think typically a lot of things bring me stress like they used to so I was kind of like, I'm good, but I realized, no, I would really love tools and resources to manage like you know, stress and also tools and resources, because I was asking myself, I'm like, I actually don't have the tools and resources to navigate this because I, like, I grew up in a household, like my parents are really strict, and so it was like, you you have to be like walk the straight and narrow or else. And so I know that a lot of the anxiety comes from what's or else? Mean, Tiffany, Like you have to be like in the straight and narrow or else, and that's what That's the fear that I carry around with me, is this fear of the or else. And even though I'm adult now, it's like, well, you can't get cut off, you know, you're not nine. You're not gonna get a spanking, you know, But I still carry that or else fear along with me.
Speaker 3: And I'm just like I want to be able to let that go.
Speaker 1: But I know that if you can't build a house that you want without the proper tools, and I know, it's like, okay, it's pastime, it's time to get the proper tools. So I'm actually looking forward to that because I'm like, you know, cause I used to go to therapy when I was in college because I was like so overwhelmed and it was really really, really helpful. But I have not gone, honestly since, even though I've said that, you know, I've wanted to. It's just been I haven't put the effort in, not because I'm opposed to therapy. I'm like, ah, next time, next time. So I just think that, yeah, I have to make it as important as the other things in my life to like find a therapist, you know, and I have like great insurance, so I know that it would be covered.
Speaker 2: So I'm like, girl, oh the therapist who takes insurance like a magical unicorn.
Speaker 3: But they don't take insurance.
Speaker 2: That's part of the problem, is like, and this is how I found my therapist. What I found this great prenatal yoga studio that actually is like a wellness a wellness business that focuses on like post and prenatal massage therapy and they have like new mom trainings and they did we did all lot of our like infant CPR classes there, so it's more than just yoga, and they have they refer people to experts in the field like they have, like the certain like they have the they endorse certain experts. So they endorse these three or four different prenatal therapists who could who really specialized with new moms or moms who're dealing with anxiety. And but I call all of them, and none of them took my insurance. But I got referred from them to someone who did take my insurance, and I kept interviewing. So it's almost it does take work. You have to start calling. Do you take this insurance?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 2: Do you know someone who does? Cool? And then you have to kind of keep calling. And it took me maybe a couple of weeks to finally land on the therapist. I eventually got, and it's been great. And I just a friend of mine had a baby just a few weeks ago, and she she had been dealing with a lot of anxiety prior to the birth because of the COVID situation, and that has continued to plague her just the you know, being a new mom's already stressful enough. And I was like, listen, I'm happy. I'll ask my therapist if she knows anybody near you who's doing And this is a This is a good time too, because part of the struggle finding a good therapist is, you know, they often want to see you in person. But with what's going on with COVID, many more well not many more, all of them, especially in New York where places are shut down, you have to meet virtually, so you may be able to, you know, see someone maybe who's not who in the commute won't be a factor. You know. You know you did that, you found that financial planner, and you I.
Speaker 3: Was just thinking about it.
Speaker 2: I was like, that was a whole process.
Speaker 1: What it was a two week problem. I interviewed like thirteen people.
Speaker 3: I like, so I'm just I was just thinking.
Speaker 1: I was like, girl, if you could put that much effort into finding your financial planner, and like literally I had like a spreadsheet and I like this one and.
Speaker 3: This this I did.
Speaker 1: I did all this pre work of what I needed, and I mean it was it was probably was like a month's worth of work to find and it was very overwhelming. But I knew that at the end I was going to find the right person, and I did. Angelie is amazing. And I was like, well, Tiffany, like literally when you said that, I was like, girl, if you can put the effort into the finding your financial planner, you can certainly put the effort into finding the right therapist, because I.
Speaker 3: Think it just would just be so helpful.
Speaker 1: My poor friends could stop hearing me talk about the same thing, because when I'm stressed about something, I will tell you over and over. I'm like, hey, hey, Brian, yeah, so that thing. They're like, oh that thing and we talked about yesterday one more again, Oh my gosh, oh yeah no, this is honestly, but I was talking me Manday's always like always feel like in some of the spaces, I'm like, you have like one foot in the door of like, yeah, I've been there, done that, working it out. This is what I found bringing it back to Tiff. So I would appreciate that, just Sharon, what.
Speaker 2: I'll learned, I mean not that I'm and it's always what I struggle with is what I'm talking to you about, which is under giving myself grace and giving myself a break on the path toward improvement, you know, like and and adjusting my own expectations for what that success looks like. So and it just it's everything I've ever tried to achieve, Like weight loss. I've always had been up and down with my weight and I'll be like, I'm gonna lose forty pounds by you know, three months from now, which is not realistic. And it's the same thing with this. With the postpartum anxiety, it was I'm going to fix this. This is a problem I'm going to solve now, and I'm gonna talk to in it. And no, I mean I had to start the work for my post part of anxiety started back in August when I started to see my therapist and I was like, okay, so I have you I'm feeling anxious, so we can fix this this week, right, And she's like, no, no, we have to start the journey, you know. And and I had to be patient with myself because I you know, you want like quick results and I have to celebrate. And I was just talking to the psychiatrist, I see because I take a prescription medication to help, and talking to her, she also wanted to know, like what are the small like what are the improvements that you've seen, and by talking through the improvement, No, I'm not perfect whatever that idea is. I'm not one hundred percent, you know. Obviously I never will be one hundred percent because I have a baby now, so I'm a different kind of person. But you know, I could measure six and I could see by talking and through Oh, I have made, you know, big strides and I am doing a lot better and I should like celebrate that and not be so stressed that I'm not like my own idea of over it or you know better, whatever those vague words are.
Speaker 3: That's the thing, like over it and better. You're like, I should be better.
Speaker 2: I should be Yeah, because the this is like the kids are always going to stress me, like stress you out, and work is always going to be stressful for you. You run a business like this is going to happen again and again, and it's about does it get a little bit easier each time? Do you have the tools next time so that maybe it's not five conversations, you know, it's four instead of you know what I mean anyway, And I think it's it's also helpful is to talk things out. And I hope that when's the next conversation and you already got the mediator in place, right yeah?
Speaker 1: M hm, So I don't I don't have I don't have a date for the next conversation yet, but it's probably about a week. I just waiting for the mediator to just to confirm like that that she's like, yep, you know, we're all good to go, and then I'll schedule a time that I'm actually looking kind of looking forward to. But I like because I'm like, Okay, it'll be somebody else there to help navigate the things that I want to say, but also to somebody else will to help me navigate hearing and listening, you know know. So I mean, but like, I feel like there was a little bit of movement made today with her, So I was like, oh, okay, she is listening and she sees that there's something And there was definitely a little bit of givet of like, see what you're saying, don't fully agree, but wizy, maybe there's some compromise. So there was definitely a huh. She was definitely like there's some compromise that we can make here. Yeah, and so like so at least that that it wasn't like absolutely not, which would have been like, you know, well, what do we do now? It was like, yeah, that there's some compromises that I can see being made here.
Speaker 2: So yeah, growth, growth, you're on your growth, You're on your growth ship. You know.
Speaker 3: See that you used to curse, remember back in the day, used to like guys that curse, and then you stopped.
Speaker 2: I still, oh you mean on the show?
Speaker 1: Yeah you did, remember you were like, yeah, I'm gonna be, you know, cursing every once in a while, a little potty mouth here and there.
Speaker 2: But then you just was like, I don't know, if you listen to the show, Tiffany, yes, I ask her editor, Ikay, it's just who I am. I don't think about it, you know. I My mom always had a potty mouth, and it's just like whatever. I always look at that study that said that people who curse are smarter or like handle things better. Yes, anyway, but the day that Rio starts mimicking what I say, that's when I'll have to tighten it up. But I'm really just like letting it all hang out now.
Speaker 1: And you and you'd be surprised, because like Superman is a cursor, like just for no reason, destonible reason. And I remember when I first met him, and I remember looking at his daughter at the time, she was like five or six. She didn't curse, and I'm like, well, how come you have potty mouth? Like you know, he's not a cursor, like an angry cursor. It's just like you know, like you know, like you might say, hey, Supermer, what's up today?
Speaker 3: You know, shit, that's just.
Speaker 2: Seeking me, Like I'm the opposite of that. Happy curs are interesting, so like, yeah, it's just a bullshit.
Speaker 3: I just hanging out.
Speaker 1: So I was actually really shocked that she, like Supergirl did it curse. I was like, well, how come she doesn't curse and you curse? And he was like, oh, she knows better. I'm like yeah, but I don't how does that work out? I don't even know how he managed that, like to this day, at least not he. I'm sure she's a teenager now, so I'm sure she's potty bathing it up with her friends.
Speaker 3: But I thought at least an adult company.
Speaker 2: I thought God would furnish me if I curse. When I was little. I don't know who taught me that in the TV. I don't know. But when I found out that I wasn't going to get smited or hit with the delighting bolt, it just all it all happened.
Speaker 3: That was smite, smite, smite, Hey, real quick.
Speaker 2: I wanted to cut you up on my dad's situation because I know I talked about him losing his job and he lives in Georgia and he we had been my brother and I kind of tagged taming to figure out his unemployment benefits. And for a lot of people in different states, like my dad, like it's taken weeks for him to get his first unemployment check. He finally got it, and then he had to wait in additional couple of weeks to get that extra six hundred dollars stimulus like unemployment check, and I just wanted to let people know, like if you've been waiting on it, I would say. One thing that helped is that we went to the Department of Labor's Facebook page, and honestly, there was more feed there's more information from their social media team on their Facebook page than there was on the actual website or trying to call, and it was one of those things where you do you think you're doing all the things, and you're calling and you're like stressing. And my brother and I were talking about it and like I would be on social trying to like piece together an explanation from different comments that the social media person had left and then all of a sudden, it just showed up in his bank account one day. And I'm like, it probably would have showed up without us stressing about it. But of course you want to think you can control things. But it's good finally that he's getting his unemployment benefits and his job he works for. The transit authority in Atlanta has asked him to come back, but like at limited hours, and he's decided not to do it because they're not like it just would still be unsafe. He's getting passages on a bus, you know, it just isn't and he's got existing pre existing conditions and and all that. But just wanted to acknowledge that there's still people out there who's struggling. And you know, if you haven't gotten your benefits or you have questions, you know, you always can send us a note at Brand Ambition Podcast at gmail dot com and maybe we can help point you to some resources, if anything in your state. But let us know if you're if you're struggling, or if you need anything. I'd love to hear how you guys are coping with you know, everything that's going on.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that would be great because my dad called me yesterday. He's I have still I have not gotten my money.
Speaker 2: Oh is he waiting on the what's he waiting on the stimulus? Wait? The stimulus? So the one time like payment twelve Okay, yeah, my dad, No, I forget if you got that or not. So yeah, he What happened was unemployment benefits. They so you got you're eligible for, like if you lost your job, you'd be eligible for unemployment benefits. On top of that, they added an additional six hundred dollars through the end of July for workers out of work. That's what the Cares Act provided. And then separate from that, there is a twelve hundred dollar stimulus check that you got based on your income, which is like a separate thing. Yeah, and it's left to be it's left to be determined if they're going to be extending this or doing it again. I mean yeah. A girlfriend of mine texted me today to let me know that her job said they will not be reopening until September, the day after Labor Day or the week after Labor Day at the earliest. And she works in New York City. Yeah, so I'll just feeling summer Summer twenty twenty is just like canceled, what just gone?
Speaker 1: You know? The kids like so Governor Murphy, the governor of my state, just posted on ig either yesterday or today just saying, hey, so school's closed.
Speaker 3: For the rest of the school year. So these babies ain't go mac.
Speaker 2: I'm like, okay, journey right, yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't know what to do. Like Supergirl, I guess we'll get her some tutor.
Speaker 2: I mean she's been Does that mean no more virtually they're still doing E learning right or does that mean like that stuff? Okay, okay, so that's not going back exactly, but still it's so light.
Speaker 1: So the way it works, at least for a Supergirl in her school is that every morning at eight am she gets class work schoolwork, and she has to be completed by eight pm. But then at three at two forty five to like three forty five or like an hour to two hours, she has to log in the zoom for a lesson. But I'm like, you usually are in school all day, so how are you getting all that you need with like this like one or two hours worth of visual lesson? And then you know, like just like here's some work to do.
Speaker 3: I don't know so.
Speaker 1: And meanwhile, she's going to ninth grade. So that's the big worry because she's headed to high school. So it's like, is she going to be ready? I mean we're fortunate in that, you know, obviously we can pay for tutor and things to make sure she's good. Because here at New York, you have to place into the high school that you want. You have to take a test, and she got into a really good high school, so you know, you we want to and it's very competitive and it's not going to be easy, although she's been a good student, but still for that, you know, second, for the last quarter of your eighth grade year not to have like this, like traditional instruction, and then we'll see what happens in September to go to school, to high school at that So there's some worry there. I think about other parents who might not be able to afford tutoring.
Speaker 3: What do they do?
Speaker 2: You know, well, at least there's comfort in knowing that your kid's not the only kid who's behind, like and you hope that. And our cousin is a high school principal in Manhattan, and she's talked about they are having conversations around do you, especially with younger kids, like do you hold them back a little bit so that they don't they're not so far behind, or do you plan to catch up on stuff at the beginning of the year to acknowledge like what they might have missed at the end of the year. And I hope that, you know, the hope the school systems will figure out a way to not make it so that kids like Supergirl come into school feeling they're so far behind, Like they can adjust the course a little bit so that they can catch up if you know they need to at all. Man, Yeah, it's it's it's hard enough with the baby, but like having kids in school. Bless bless all of you guys with the with the children who can ask questions and needs to be I know, wet's just speaking of questions. Should we take a quick break and then come back and see what we got going on?
Speaker 3: We sure sued.
Speaker 2: Alrighty okay, y'all, thank you so much for sending in your questions, not only your questions, but your fun. Little someone I forget her name. She she sent us a message on Insta saying, remember last week I told you we were talking about guilty pleasures and I mentioned the show that I'm watching on Netflix. I'm testing you, tif do you remember what it is?
Speaker 3: You know, I have the memory of an eight year old girl. I don't remember.
Speaker 2: It's real weird Casketeers on that price.
Speaker 1: If I'm at another country where it's like this Polynesian.
Speaker 2: Yes, oh girl, I thought you. I felt you digging and you struggled. Yeah, so it's a it's a it's a fabulous show on Netflix about a family who runs a funeral home in New Zealand or Polynesian anyway. One of our listeners was like, I squealed when you mentioned the Casketeers. I love that show and I'm just so glad that there's another weirdo out there who listens to our show. So thank you to you whose name I don't remember. And again people have been commenting. I've been I've been posting more than usual, just like day to day. I'm trying to like document life in quarantine, parenting and quarantine. I just part of me just doesn't want to forget. Well, it's almost like I'm living I'm imagining, like telling grandchildren or like wanting to remember this time in our history. And so I'm trying to document more of it, and people have Brown Ambition listeners who usually just message us on our BA account have found my personal one and have been. I really have been. It's been helping me to hear from y'all when I post like my parenting foibles or you know, the working from home with the baby stuff, and it helps me to know that you guys are out there and that that you're liking when I share that stuff. I'm I'm happy to make a fool of myself.
Speaker 1: I love how Rio just be looking at the camera, like what, he's so adorable with that hair, it's a.
Speaker 3: Little yeah, these cheeks.
Speaker 1: I'm like, oh, God, knew exactly way, who's doing making baby so cute?
Speaker 3: Because you're like, you.
Speaker 2: Know what if it wasn't so cute, God help an ugly baby, because like I'm just kidding. I'm just kidding. We don't know. Listen, we're Enrique has this coffee cup with Rio's baby his newborn picture on it, and I'm looking at like he was a lot cuter in my memory. Like love is blind. But let me pop into these questions real quick again. Y'all can hit us up on the gram where Broad Ambition Podcast on Instagram. You can also find us if you just want to email us directly. It's brund Ambition Podcast at gmail dot com. Our first question I've lost to Google doc come to me. Our first question comes from listener who just wants to be referred to as D. She says, I'm a huge fan of the show. I listen while working every week. I'm wondering, since federal student loan payments have been waived until the end of September thanks to Congress the Stimulus Package the Cares Act, what do you guys think I should do with the money that would normally go toward my student loan each month. Right now, my student loan balance is twenty seven thousand. Fortunately I'm still employed full time. Right now, I'm using half of my stimulus funds. So she's gotten that twelve hundred dollars check we talked about to pay off credit card debt. I have a car note and a personal loan and about two thousand dollars saved in an emergency fund. Issue is she doesn't tell us how much she's saving with her student loan payment, but like for her own purposes, licious to imagine it's a few hundred dollars. If her you know, for her balance is twenty seven thousand dollars, I can imagine it's a few hundred dollars a month that she's wondering what should she do with it?
Speaker 1: Any thoughts here, Yes, only because I suspect that her life does she say where she.
Speaker 2: Lives, She does not disclose her location.
Speaker 1: Nope, So I suspect that her life costs her more than two thousand dollars a month, because that's how much she has in savings, right her emergency saves. Yes, So my concern is during times like this, I really I mean, I cannot preach this enough to be having a strong cast position saving savings savings.
Speaker 3: Normally, you know, me and Landy are like no debt, no way away.
Speaker 1: But during times that look like what's shaping up to be a recession, I really want you to have enough savings. Although I'm glad that your job is still intact, there's no no job is guaranteed. One sickness can happen to anything can happen during times like these, So I would much rather if it was me, even though I would normally say, well, girl, put it toward your student loan debt. Because right now it's going to go total totally toward the principle. But now I'm like, no, put it in an online only savings account and going to Magnify money, find one that gives the highest interest rate and has an A rating. And that's what I would say. I would put my money there, because I want you to have, you know, at least a few months of expenses of your most essential expenses saved, just to be on the safe side in case something should happen down the line while we're still in these like down economic times.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and she mentions, well, she mentions a couple of other loans that she has. She has a personal loan and a car note. So I mean, I agree with Tiffany, like I would beef up that emergence fund. But if you're you know, if your car note and your personal loan, if you could maybe put a little bit of that extra money towards those debts to pay them off, especially that personal loan, you know, that could be a good use of the money. But and at the same time, maybe put part of it away for your savings to beef it up. You know, it doesn't have to be all or nothing.
Speaker 3: Mm hm. No, it doesn't.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but that's that's and I'm glad it's like, that's the point of them making it so that you don't have to make your federal student loan payments for the next How many months is it till September seventy five or four? I can't think, it seems like forever away. It's to give you guys some extra wiggle room. And yeah, to be saving it and using it to pay down debt is exactly you know, the right way of going about it. Yeah, all right, d thank you for your question. Let's take we have like some one syllable questions today. This one comes from listener who wants to go by the low Low says, I love the show. I have reached my emergency savings goal of twenty thousand dollars recently, and I decided I don't want to invest more than I already am into my four oh one K during these turbulent times, so I started looking into money market accounts. Could you tell me what are some of the pros and cons of putting your money in a money market account? Thank you, low oh low oh?
Speaker 3: I know no, lo lo lo, what lo lo?
Speaker 1: Your money's gonna stay on the lo loo if you don't invest out.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, money markets are like, first of all, there's nothing special about money market accounts. They're basically a savings account that you have check writing abilities, and it's not and maybe you get a bit card, but then why not just get a checking account. And I mean I haven't checked their rates recently, but they're really not great. Either they're worse than or they're just as good as a regular ass savings account. So there's really not a there's not a benefit to a money market account. And when it comes to not wanting to invest, so let's unpack that. So you've reached your emergency savings goal of twenty K. That's fabulous and I mean that sounds significant, that sounds great, and now you're looking at okay, so the market is down. I have a four oh one K. Should I be putting extra money that I would have been putting in my emergency savings into the market or should I be more conservative and put it into a deposit account such as a money market fund. I know it seems counterintuitive, but I and we talked about this before, and again we're not investing experts. We just share, you know, the knowledge that we have from our own experience. I try and think of this time as like a clearance sale, and I try and think of a clearance sale on stocks. So stocks are largely down, although they have if you look at your four one k like I did recently, my four one k is not almost back to where it was, but it's on the way back. It's pretty it's definitely one of its way back. It's only been a few months. I try and think, now is the time when you want to be investing. If you are hopeful about the future, if you have a long time horizon, if you're especially like if you're someone in your thirties or forties right now or younger, you certainly have a few several decades ahead of you to whether not just this economic crisis, but maybe a couple more. And I personally increased my four to one K contribution and it did feel a little counterintuitive, but it really makes sense because the money that you invest now, you'll be able to get more for it than you would have normally, and then when the market does bounce back, those investments will grow and you should be better off in the end than if you didn't invest anything.
Speaker 3: That's the hope.
Speaker 2: Of course, nothing certain, but as a recession maybe myself, I who started to save before and one K right after the recession hit. I'm so grateful that I did, and I think we will. You just have to look at what history has shown us, which is that the market will recover. This is also a very different recession. This is a self inflicted recession. We will reopen the economy. It may take a while, but already the market has started to go up. And I think I definitely maybe put it in an online Savan's account if you really just want some security or a CV. We've talked about before, but there's no point in a money market. I'm in my opinion, yeah right, Like, well I want and this is low right, so low.
Speaker 1: So here I get it because I'm totally you where I'm like, investing scary, scary, But to Mandy's point, if you've got ten or more years and you should look at investing as a long term activity. So there's something called dollar cost averaging. So this is what I suggest, is what I'm leaning into. So dollar cost averaging is when, if you're an investor, you have money to invest, you divide up. Let's just say you have, you know, a thousand dollars that you don't put a thousand dollars into the market today. Then instead you say, huh, you know what, I'm going to divide one thousand dollars times ten months, and I'm going to put one hundred dollars into the market the first of every month, and as the market goes up and down and up and down. Into the market could mean your retirement account. It could mean opening up a target date fund or a mutual fund, or investing in indexes.
Speaker 3: But if you do that, if you.
Speaker 1: If you consistantly put money away for an investing, this is dollars cost averaging. It means that there'll be some days that you put money in and your money goes down, and there'll be some days you put money in and your money goes up, and the ups and downs will average out to a basic return. So that's what I would lean into that. If you like, I'm assuming that if you're putting money, if you reach your twenty thousand dollars, that you didn't reach the twenty thousand dollars and one lump sum that let's just say you were saving five hundred bucks a month, you know, and you're like, okay, I don't need any more additional savings. So I would be putting that five hundred bucks a month consistently. And you will see over the next ten years or so that you know, yes, there will be sometimes your money has gone down and sometimes it's gone a wagh up, but it will average out to an up over time. That is what the market teaches us. And so you actually lose money, like, don't be like me. I was such a quarter of cash, Like I can only imagine in the last ten years how much money I actually lost by saving so much in cash. I mean, I had so much saved in cash. The house I'm sitting now I bought with cash. You should not have that much take like I should not have had that much saved. And I knew it was my fear, even though like my brain was like Tiffany, you don't need this much save, this is crazy, but my heart was like a scant up, scanted up, scared.
Speaker 3: I don't want to put it. I don't want to lose it. I don't want to lose it.
Speaker 1: So I ended up, like I said, buying a house cash, which is honestly, that's great in all but you know, I lost out in the long run by not giving my money a chance to grow, and so that's what I want for you. So do your googles dollar costs averaging, which just basically means that you just put money in. Basically, it's almost like drip marketing. You just drip drip investing. You just drip drip drip your money in consistently over time, and then you will see consistently over time that the good times and the bad times will weigh out to decent times over time.
Speaker 2: Yeah, definitely one hundred percent, and with twenty k in the bank. I mean, if you want someone to help, a financial planner can help you decide. Like pecially my financial planner, she helped me strategize I didn't do. I didn't start saving, like putting everything into the market and his stocks. We were like a little bit conservative. So for shorter term goals, we opened a couple of CDs and then we put extra money into our IRA. Like there's different levels, you know, but money markets again, like you might as well just put money into your savings account. It'll be it'll do just as well, if not better than a a money market. While we're on the subject. We had another We had a similar question from a listener essentially wanting to know. Okay, so if now it's a good time to invest, how do I start? And this is from a listener, what does she want to be? Remain anonymous? Where did it go? I swiped on my phone? Oh, here we go. Let's see from Instagram. Let's just call her too too, because I see that in her instant name and I don't know how to pronounce the rest of it. I love she's saying, it's now a good time to invest. I want to take advantage of the discounted prices that you guys talk about on the show. And by discount she means like when I say clear and sale. But there is a lot of information overload in the book time reading, and it's hard to know when you're really truly ready to jump in and when you're a novice investor. Thanks, and i'd like I made anonymous. Well it's okay because I didn't use your real name. So yeah, so similar, So okay. So people like her who you know, Oh, they want to jump in. It's like trying to jump in and during a game of double Dutch, like you're trying to like anyway sender lost fellow, Okay, anyway you.
Speaker 3: Could, I could just see you walk it back and for you like, oh wait.
Speaker 2: Okay, yeah just jump just jump but jump into like you know, jump in with your toe Like well, anyway, I've been talking a lot, Tiff. What would you say to this?
Speaker 1: I honestly this, So this is what I would say. I would say, look into index funds. So if you now is not the time to be like, oh, I'm a start picking stocks I because you're not going to know and even if you happen to luckily pick a stock that goes up. Look, let's just say like Beyond Meat did really great today, right, and you pick a stock you're like woo. But if you haven't followed, like what made Beyond Meat a good stock? You know, what are their profits versus their dead are?
Speaker 2: You know?
Speaker 1: Are they using their cash effectively? Like who's running the company? So to understand why a stock actually went up, it's like buying a house without getting an inspection, like why is this house a good house? So then I wouldn't be purchasing individual stocks unless you were going to like take a course and learn more about how to properly do so if you don't not to do anything else, you can invest in the in an index. So you can invest in an index almost like as a as a stock. That's called that ETF. That's you can I don't remember some of the symbols like boo, there's some symbols. Well, you can literally just google ETF index funds. And so an index fund is just a like the S and P five hundred, the Dow, the what is it? What's some other indexes? I always sent the smp F one hundred, the well.
Speaker 2: The standards like the SNP is kind of like when you're opening up an index fund, this is most likely the index that it'll track against. And you can start with anything like and I think even for a novice, it's almost like where to open an account at. You can open an account at Vanguard, at Fidelity, at your local your bank might have an investing platform like you. There's a bunch of like low cost brokerage accounts out there. Open up individual I RAY account or sorry, an IRA account or like a brokerage account, which are a little bit different. I can post a helpful article on this too. I know you said you're overloaded by reading, but you want to understand a little bit the type of account that you're getting once you're in there. If you really just want hands off, you can do like a target date fund, which is a type of mutual fund that tracks you pick the target day fund that matches when you think you'll retire, and then it just invests for you. I have a target day fund in my four to one k. It's worked out beautifully for me. I don't have to think about it, and it's just grown because it's very heavily invested in stocks now and it will get conserve more conservative as I get older target date. Yes that being said, like I was talking to my cousin yesterday and a banana who I love. How old is she now? Like too old to be called Anna Banana? But whatever? Twenty one, twenty two and she's been She has been playing around with some investing apps like Acorns and Stash, and there are these robo advisors that can also be like an entryway into investing, and ultimately it's it's kind of the same thing. They help you invest in index funds like diversified mutual funds, which is you know, they kind of take the guesswork out of it. For you. So it's almost a question of would you rather pick the brokerage account you want and do the work of setting up your account through them, which takes a little bit of research, or you can use a robo advisor, which takes even less of the guestwork out of the whole investing thing. Just to get your feet wet, I mean those are so I think we talked about acorns before, I forgetting like.
Speaker 1: It's like acorns, there's some well that's not really that well, I guess the oh betterment wealth front and you look like when it comes to index funds, like at a wealth like at a Vanguard or a chop Swab or a fidelity, they usually almost all of them have something called a total market fun meeting. Basically you're buying like a slice of what the market is doing. So as the market goes up, your money goes up. As the market goes down, your money goes down. And over time, the market goes up over time. And so if you don't know how to do anything else, like yeah, getting your like investing in an index fund and looking at a total market fund, and that's the most set it and forget it that you can get and know that in a ten year span, the likelihood is is your money is going to grow without any interference from you. Like if you're wanting to learn about stocks and this and that, then do that, But you know, not now. I don't think it's almost like you know, you're learning how to fly the plane on your way up. It's like, uh, now's up the time. Now's the time to be able to figure out how to autopilot, and then you know, when you're safely on the ground, take your take your flight lessons, Like don't take flight lessons like the day of your first flight, because you're guaranteed to lose money that way.
Speaker 3: I think.
Speaker 2: Anyway, Yeah, and I also think, like anyone who's thinking about starting to invest, I just say, just do it the easiest way possible. Just that, like, get a small win now rather than wait to be an expert. You're reading books. I think that's you don't even have to read all those books, to be honest, and reading those books, you're kind of like you could just open a target date fund and just start putting like five hundred bucks a month or however bunch you can afford into that target date fund, and then you can do additional research, like Tiff said, and learn how to do more more nuanced investing, or maybe buy some individual stocks if you have money to play around with. But for now, it's just like just start now. If you're if you're new, if you're just getting a new job and you're opening up your first four to one K, this is great because you're again the money that you're contributing. Now. If you contribute one hundred dollars to your four to one K today, when stocks are lower than they were a year ago, that one hundred dollars can buy you more. Right, So if those stocks that you buy end up increasing in value, well you've got a bigger return on your investment because you bought low. You can't plan for this kind of thing, but I would say if you, if you have like we said before, if you have time on your side, and you can handle a little bit of risk now. And again we're not investment experts. We're just like I'm just someone who's opened a four one K after the last recession and saw great things happen. I would say, yes, just start and don't overthink it. Which people, especially women, we like to feel like we understand something entirely before we jump in, and you could just set yourself up, you know, to miss out on potential returns by you know, waiting until you are an expert to dipe in.
Speaker 1: Exactly, exactly exactly as my husband, my husband, my sister's husband would say, exactly.
Speaker 2: Since you brought that old chest no out exactly.
Speaker 3: Oh well, so it's time for a boosts. Oh breaks, you're gonna boost, You're gonna break, You're gonna boost a break. So, yeah, you gotta boost. Are you gonna break? Hi, I'm gonna let you go first.
Speaker 2: Oh, you know you're gonna let me go first. Thank you. I could tell, I can always tell on how you deliver it, whether or not I'm gonna go first or I'm gonna go second. I'm gonna do a boost for my sister and my brother and for myself for letting them help me, because in my pandemic parenting lifestyle right now, I usually am always leading the charge for like group gifts for our mom, group gifts for birth for the dad, for the birthday, like for Father's Day, Mother's Day, that kind of stuff. I just don't have the brain power of bandwidth. I thought Mother's Day was two weeks from now. Okay, it's it's come and listen. And if you're listening to this Wednesday morning, it is this Sunday, Like I should know this. I'm actually a mom this year. Anyway, but thank God for my sister because she arranged flower my mother listened to the show, she arranged flowers for my mom, and I had part of my identity is sort of like wrapped up in being the one who takes care of shit in the siblings group, you know, and I've just had to let it go and let my brother and sister step up. And it was the same story around my mother's birthday last month. When we did we wanted to compile all these video messages from all of her loved ones across the country, friends, since she hasn't seen since college and you know, from her early working days. And I was like, I'm going to edit it and I'm going to collect all the video snippets. No no, no, no no no. Very quickly I learned I needed to ask them for help. And anyway, it's a small thing, but if you guys can ask for help from siblings, I've and it's brought us so much closer together that I've like been open to having them help more and I love them so so much and I feel so blessed to have them here to help me keep it together. And I just don't know where. I just don't know where I be right now without my brother and my sister. And I just wanted to boost that boost family, boost the help, and boost me for asking for it, which we all know I have struggled to do in the past. And that's why I have my mommy wrist and my wrist is an embrace because I literally didn't ask for help with the baby for a very long time and now I'm paying for it.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, So I'm going to wait. Did I talk about Own last week?
Speaker 2: Own, like the Own network? Yeah? No, what about it?
Speaker 3: Okay? I literally had the worst Mammy. I'm like, we're gonna talking about it. So I am going to do a boost because.
Speaker 1: So now that the press release is are I can finally share because I said India, I'm like, can I share? So a few weeks ago, this production company that we all know. We've seen this production company's name flash across the screen many and many times, we sat and said, how interest in doing this show or being a guest on a show with Ayana Bonzan and I was like, what, so, Ayana Bonzan.
Speaker 2: Shud I know who that is?
Speaker 3: So misfix your life?
Speaker 2: Should I know who that is?
Speaker 1: Oh my gosh, I need to do your googles. And Yawa Banza she's a she is one of the protogees of Oprah. I'm sure she'd be like, girl, I'm not her protegee. But it's like, so that's that's how sasty she is. So it's Ayana, like you know how like so Oprah, these are like her main people that she's kind of like brought on board, right, So it's like doctor phil doctor I thought you're right?
Speaker 2: Are you right here for doctor Philer oz anymore?
Speaker 3: No, we're not.
Speaker 1: I'm just saying that, like this is like, you know how like Oprah brought these people.
Speaker 2: So like, yes, yes, she's given them her gifts, she's given them her shine.
Speaker 1: Yea is one of that can't but you never had to fix her fix your life. That's like a it's like huge because it's like everybody has jokes about it.
Speaker 2: Anyway, Sorry, that's fine. So you didn't know about the Casketeers, but I forgave you.
Speaker 1: I did it, and I was, although I wouldn't say that's the same. So they they reached out, was like, oh, we'd love to have you on the show, you know. So I did like a like a pre interview. They're like, oh my gosh, we love we love you. So it's just so funny how I.
Speaker 2: Always love you. All all you need to do is go on the phone them they're gonna love it.
Speaker 3: And I'm always like, oh, I don't know.
Speaker 1: And it's so it's just funny about how you plant seed sometimes years in advance. So the big producer was like, oh my god, years ago, I took your literature challenge and it totally helped me. And then the young producer shout out to Jessica. She was like, oh my god. When your name came up, I was like, we have to use her. And I'm like, I know you. She was like, you were my instructor at the Wien Academy. So the Wien Academy, I can't remember what WEEN stands for. It's like women in Entertainment. So I every year I volunteer and I teach this free financial class for these young women who were between the ages typically like sixteen to like twenty something and they attend. They fly into New York and attend like a weekend long like academy, and it's really awesome and it's all sisters and brown girls and you know, and I just thought to myself, Wow, what a full circle moment that, Like, had I not been doing that year after year, who knows that they would have been thought of me? Because I asked, how'd you find me? She's like, girl, you know, you came and you taught, and you were so awesome.
Speaker 3: And you were so giving.
Speaker 1: And I'm like, oh wow, So anyway, baby child, we like to have you on the show. And I'm thinking, like, okay, I'll be on this. This it's a limited series docu series with a talking about fear, and of course I'm going to talk about financial fear. Didn't think anything of it until the press release comes out and it says new show on own network docuseries. Special guests include Oprah Winfrey. I was like, wait what, R and B Legend BB Winings, I said, okay what? And financial educator Tiffany the Budgetista Variety on Dead.
Speaker 2: In a sentence, yes and a and a sentence and your name call.
Speaker 3: What.
Speaker 2: So basically you're on your way to being on her tour, the next Oprah Owned tour like backstage passes, backstage passes, Congress, bfd b ethic, Yes, yes.
Speaker 1: It is, and I just like, you know, like at first, I was kind of I was already excited before, but I didn't know that Oprah was also going to be a guest on the show. So it just it's just things like that. You're like, wow, but you think about the you know, like what you sew, you know what you reap, you truly have sown. And I think to myself, like, remember when I first did the first Literature Challenge. Everyone said basically I was dumb because I was giving it away for free, But I'm like, no, people really need help. There has to be something. I mean, I speak and I you know, and I have books now. So the challenges were my way to say, if you don't have any money, I can give you a full fledged course, like which is totally free. And it's like year six and all of them are.
Speaker 3: Still completely free. There's been no gotcha, gotcha.
Speaker 1: I did one with Magnify Money and Mandy was my special guest every week, so like that was the credit one, which is like one of my favorite ones. And so you just think about things like that that people tell you are like not the.
Speaker 3: Right move or take take, take or don't give.
Speaker 1: And you think to yourself, how that given these two instances, maybe they wouldn't have thought of me, you know. And who knows when once it air So it's supposed to air, well, it's supposed to begin airing. I don't know when my component airs, but begins airing. Macy, did you already tape twineteen twenty?
Speaker 3: Maybe?
Speaker 2: Oh, so you must say, oh, well, this is a quick turnaround. Did you tape it from home? Was this or was this pre pandemic?
Speaker 1: No, it takes it from home. They sent like they sent me like the equipment to set up.
Speaker 2: This is exciting. I know, girl, I'm glad I got cable for once in my life.
Speaker 1: And I don't which I'm like, damn, am I gonna have to get cable for this? So I think I get Someone said you can get like seven free days of like you.
Speaker 2: Know, a free trial to get to watch your own special. Make sure you time it right, are you?
Speaker 3: I was thinking, I was like, wait a minute, what am I gonna come on?
Speaker 2: So?
Speaker 1: Yeah, it was just like one of those like full circle moments of like, you know, reaping what you sew and I don't know, it just felt good to just you know, I actually have to call my mom and tell her, because you know, she has to let all the aunties know, all the aunties know, and so I don't want her to hear from them first, and she'd be like, they told.
Speaker 3: Me how comm you did everything. I wasn't prepared.
Speaker 1: So yeah, that's my big boost. And you know, the ups and downs and entrepreneurship you have those days you're like, you have up days you're like and sometimes it's in the same day. But that's definitely something that I'm excited about. I am a little nervous because I felt like I was nervous. I don't know how well I did.
Speaker 3: Honestly.
Speaker 1: Sometimes I can gauge. I will say that, you know, you're in the press release.
Speaker 3: Yeah I know, I know, but that doesn't mean I did good. I might, I don't know. We don't see. We will all be seeing together, So if it's terrible.
Speaker 1: That's my biggest worry is I'll do this whole big thing where I'm like, oh, watch party, and then it'll be like.
Speaker 2: Oh well, lit's send you will you will always have done the best Yanna what's her name? Yeah, you will? You will always have done the best interview with Yanla as you ever had done, because it's the first one, you know what I mean. Low expectations, Stephanie, we talked about this set them low to the fun I personally should have boosted the fact that when I got that Molly Moore book in the mail, and I it's just so exciting because like every friend, I've got a few friends, you've written books, and every time I get it, I just feel like, in some small part I was there when this was just an idea and it was just like and it's one of those things that you've been talking about for years on the podcast, and it's just so good to feel it in my hands. And I was so excited, and RIO loved the pictures and the illustrations are beautiful and it's such a cute little book. I do want to know what kind of friends Molly Moore has who are getting her five bikes and four phones and twelve dogs, and like like I, it's all for counting. Yeh, yeah, yeah, gotcha, gotcha, gotcha?
Speaker 1: I know.
Speaker 3: Congrat Molly is lit.
Speaker 2: Thank you, congrats. I'm so it's so happy, I'm so bos on my shelf and yeah, I just feel blessed to know people who are out there just creating such little treasures like this and we're super excited.
Speaker 3: Congrats, Thank you ya oh rill try to eat the book, that's how. That's a good sign.
Speaker 2: Everything he loves, he tries to consume. That is his. That is the stage we were at. Indeed, alrighty, well, thank you for another great show, Missy.
Speaker 1: Yes, thank you. This was a long one, but I think a longie, but a goodie. This show was brought to you by Rio's Nap. Thank you Rio Francisco for being one of our sponsors today. Yes, all right, well we will catch you all next week. Thanks for tuning in.