Speaker 1: Hello, we all have to warm up.
Speaker 2: Obviously, you know Trent not here yet. You know what kind of impact is that having the room here in the early days of training.
Speaker 3: Camp, just to you know, other guys have step up. Jalen gets his reps, which he would this time of year anyway, Trent would usually take a day off and off season program. Usually Jailing gets all the work. So unfortunately it's always been a problem for Jalen. He hasn't had a chance like to compete other positions because he's always kind of filled in for Trent in this time of year. So obviously you're worried about the guys that are here, and Jay and the guys are working really hard. It's been a good start to camp. First couple of days have been good and it's been good to see kind.
Speaker 1: Of warm up.
Speaker 2: Does a guy who's played fourteen seasons like Trent really need? I mean, when would you want to see him come in to get ready for the Jets.
Speaker 4: As soon as possible?
Speaker 3: I mean the reps that he takes now are valuable. I mean I think he usually practices two of the We do everything kind of in three day blocks and before we take a day off and usually he practices two of those three.
Speaker 4: Days, and he usually takes the full amount of the reps.
Speaker 3: I think maybe one of the three, one of the two he's practice one of me doesn't do individual whatever the routine was the last few years, knock on wood for him, he's remained relatively healthy through the course of the season, has been pretty fresh at the end of the season.
Speaker 4: So, but these reps are all important.
Speaker 3: I think it has been with him for years, has been you know, yes, as a fourteen year vet. Any player I've had that gets up and up in years. They still need work. Everybody does. I mean, you just the great every position. You know, great basketball players still go out to shoot free throws. They still practice practice. You still have to practice. You just have to limit the amount of exposures you give them and the amount of pounding that their body takes.
Speaker 4: And that's all we try to do.
Speaker 3: Does it ramp up more with once pads come on, that's where you really kind of get going. Yeah, I mean, obviously the ramp up has value from league standpoint as far as getting guys, you know, transitioning back in.
Speaker 4: I think it has value to the less you do in the off season.
Speaker 3: The more you need to do pre There's just a lot of there's it's a like, as our strength coach, it's a moving target right now as far as how how to actually do this thing because it's changing, and then if they go to the two preseason games, it changes the whole dynamic again.
Speaker 4: So there's just a lot. There's a lot to it.
Speaker 3: So as far as getting up any of the guys ready, it's it's it's everybody.
Speaker 4: It's unique. It's really cool.
Speaker 3: It is cool because it's different, right all of a sudden, Now John Fliciano versus Dominic Pooney versus this guy. You know, you have all these different guys and how do I get them all ready to go and and give them what they need to be able to be ready to play, yet keep them healthy which is our number one priority, which is to make sure you have availability of players, but at the same time prepare them to play a style of football that's very physical, fast the way we do things, and it's a challenge that Jordan Mason has improved a ton since the Christian first got here.
Speaker 4: We've always seen that Jordan's a good ball carrier, but there's so much more to play running back where have you seen the improvements?
Speaker 3: Yeah, all those, all of the above. I mean he has become a better ball carry. He was just such a hard running, strong, physical, tough guy that you know, he gained yards. Sheer willed himself in the yards. Now he's understanding the playbook better. Bobby Turner coming back into building has been not that everything was wrong with a it's just he and he, the two guys have clicked, you know, and so that's really helped. And then he's just matured as a player. He's had a chance to run more routes. He's had a chance to watch Christian run routes. I mean, it's a huge benefit to not only be coached well, but then have a guy.
Speaker 4: That's premier doing it.
Speaker 3: Go like, oh, I can see how that's done a little bit better than It's a guy that I'm right here with and I know the guy. So it's helped him in every facet. He's really really taken off. It's really exciting to see.
Speaker 4: You get one on one, which is, you know you all make a ton out of it. How much do you actually make at one on one? Adult? I get really mad at one on ones.
Speaker 3: Not that I don't guys don't like him because they're saying like, it's unfair.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I get it's unfair.
Speaker 3: I get mad because I didn't realize that front office and media, like in Miami in two thousand and four three when I was there, I remember what year was, four and all of a sudden it be a tally in the next day's paper of who wanted who lost the one on once and the guys were furious and I'd put him out there. If I threw somebody out there for three extra reps, you need to work on X, Y or Z, and they get beat and they go coach you just.
Speaker 4: You know, and now we're yelling it. It was ugly anyway.
Speaker 3: My thing is you go there to work on something that the one on ones is a great opportunity and a huge disadvantage for you, a huge say this date, I don't care if you get beat every day for three weeks.
Speaker 4: You're working on something, right.
Speaker 3: Certain guys have weaknesses and they're gonna go work on that weakness and that they may get just get pounded for a while because they can't get and then they say, well, I have to survive the drill. That don't survive the drill get better. Who's keeping track of Oh, Bosa beat Trent or Armstead killed this guy or Banks can't block anybody in one on ones. And you know, some guys aren't very good in one on ones, but yet in the within the setting of an offense.
Speaker 4: Or protection, they do a heck of a job.
Speaker 3: And yeah, they may show up every now and then in one on one, but at the end of the day, it's a it's more of a thing for me to work on it. It's hard to get the rest of the building to understand that. Not gonna understand is that it's the only really live work that you get to see. So you should place some sort of you know, stock in it.
Speaker 4: But it isn't.
Speaker 3: It shouldn't because you have no idea what I've told the guy I wanted to work on that day, and you're like, oh god, he stinks, and yeah, he stinks because he's working on it. Yeah, he's got to get better. So that initial plan, if you look at the two guard situations you mentioned first stringer, he wants his job, But how do you how do you look at that right now?
Speaker 2: As far as what you want to see.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean you you can tell me. It's great. It's great, and it's hard.
Speaker 3: It's not like we're gonna be able to just I think, say, this job belongs to you know, John, or this job belongs to Spencer, or this job belongs to Poony or or whoever you know. By the thing this all shakes out, who knows maybe the right or left guard at the position. I think Banks has set that right guard spot. I'm not gonna say it's like a wide open competition, but it's gonna be interesting to see because there's three good players, all with different different things that they do well and different dynamics to the whole thing. I mean, do you really want even if Poony is the best player. I don't know if it's Poony or Puny, I don't remember, but anyway, Poony, I'll say Poony, it sounds better.
Speaker 4: Is that the guy?
Speaker 3: Do you want him out there opening day Monday night football against the Jets?
Speaker 4: You know, if he's the best player, you do. But like that's a that's a bright those are.
Speaker 3: Bright lights, right where as opposed to Spence and and uh and and John have done it. Uh.
Speaker 4: So there's that whole dynamic and it's.
Speaker 3: Just who's playing best who's playing well, how the how people are you know, you gotta look at John Fliciattle is an aging player to say what's best for him in regard to trying to make a tw week Hopefully there's a week, you know, eighteen nineteen twenty. You know, if there are those weeks at the end of the other, then how do you get him there? And and what's that look like this time of year and into the season. Same thing within you know, spencer and putting, it's all the same. So it's a kind of a fluid situation right now and it's good to have. Unfortunately, is not as much time to develop guys or have a competition, but I think it's good.
Speaker 4: What does he bring.
Speaker 3: He's a he's a he is a you know, he's a strong, big body.
Speaker 4: He just has a lot.
Speaker 3: You know, he's no bigger than most of them, but he's a he's a he's a very he'll set the pocket real well. He plays with great anchor. He's extremely intelligent. He's he's really really a good player.
Speaker 4: Man.
Speaker 3: He's he's a special guy and he's just not done the position for very long. And with our system, it's a little bit of a change for him. So there's there's going to be a learning curve, but he's got some real stuff to work. A lot of our guards in our system, they tend to be quick. That's where Banks is a great advantage of those bigger guys inside.
Speaker 4: Do help.
Speaker 3: After the Super Bowl for missing the block or missing the assignment on Chris Jones, Well, what can a mental mistake like that do?
Speaker 2: Or how has he bounced back from that?
Speaker 4: What do you see from him?
Speaker 3: Oh it's brutal. I mean, you know one of my favorite lie. I remember when in coaching meetings. Sorry, here we go again, coaching means. Over the course of my life, we've had coaching meanings and you're.
Speaker 4: Like, uh, it's only it's trying, not gonna happen. Maybe one or two times it shows up. Oh well, I'm glad. You're okay it shows up once or twice. You tell me one it's going to show up, and I'll be okay with it.
Speaker 3: If it doesn't show up in a Super Bowl in overtime on second down with a play that could have been a potential big play, Right, you don't know when it's going to come, so it has when it occurs, has huge ramification.
Speaker 4: You know it weighs on you. I mean every.
Speaker 3: Single thing that I did the night before the game in the Super Bowl, to talk to my players, to prepare him that week, to get him ready to go. I'm gonna get choked up on the sideline. We picked this game to not play our best game, but it happens.
Speaker 4: It's a game.
Speaker 3: You go out and you roll it and you go play it. And we didn't play very well and he makes that mistake. I struggle with it. It's my fault. I prepare him to play. It's my job to get him to do it, and yeah, he didn't. It's my fault, and he didn't have it down. Banks missed a similar thing earlier in the game. Nobody talks about that one. It was a pressure and I think he got the ball out, but it wasn't covered good enough, or if it was, they didn't get it. Because if they don't get it, I can't just say their fault, not mine. Heck no, man, I'm responsible for those knuckleheads, and those knuckleheads don't do it right. I'm the knucklehead. I'm the guy that's not doing the job right. I'm the guy who's gotta get him to do it. But I can promise you as much as it weighs on me, it weighs on him more because he's the one with the bright light on him. Nobody took the camera to me and said, there's the idiot that didn't get ITIM prepared properly.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 3: That's that's so it's it's hard, and coming back from that has been hard. And the conversations with him, you know at the end when he came from office after the.
Speaker 4: Game, I mean it was it was hard. It matters.
Speaker 3: This guy doesn't just go, oh, miss my assignment. No, I mean, so once in a lifetime opportunity, you don't know. And so yeah, it.
Speaker 4: Was tough on all of us, and tough on him in particular. But he's been great.
Speaker 3: He's come back, bounce back well and done Really he's done a good job and I love the guys. He's doing everything right to hopefully fix a lot of those those those things that went wrong.
Speaker 2: What you mentioned last year. Sometimes you don't know what a veteran can do in your system until you have him in the system, and then you figure it out. Hubbard run In is like an eleven year guy. He was doing tickets, some left tackle riptures, big, what is do you think he can make the transition here?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'll say this is that. Okay, it's a typical I've said to you before. I think that there's you see things on tape. There's little tiny things you'll see that you'll see the transition. You'll say, oh, I can see this in him, or I can see this in this guy, and you'll say, those are things that translate to our system.
Speaker 4: Now will he do it consistently in our system? Right?
Speaker 3: I saw things with Feliciano in a certain part of his game. Hubbard, you see it too, because Tennessee did have some similarities. There were some similarities. You could see more of what we do in Hubbard. And then here's the catch all. Just Is Brunskill was there, and Dan Brunskill's a Kyle Shanahan favorite. And so if Brunskill gave him the check and say this guy can do it for you guys, Kyle was like, yeah, Bronskill says we can do it.
Speaker 4: I don't care what you say. This guy's playing for.
Speaker 3: So Danny said the guy was actually really good at it, and he felt was a good transition. Even though he didn't exactly coach him in Tennessee like we coach him. Dan felt like the guy could make the transition, and so whatever I thought went back seat to brunskill.
Speaker 4: But we think the guy.
Speaker 2: Can do it. You've been doing this for a little while.
Speaker 3: When you come in a training camp.
Speaker 4: And you so kind a little while.
Speaker 3: I'm in the camp and you see this group of guys, what do you see that's different from the groups that you've coached in the bast Every year is different. That's what's so great about it. No matter what, we are building this thing towards year. You know, Kyle always talks about previous years, and I'm always I get it. There have been a lot of people who have been here a long time, but a lot of these guys have it. It's just every year is a new dynamic. What I like about this group of guys is I think we've got a couple young guys. These guys have been fringe guys. It's really exciting to see how Zi Kel BArch, Poony Kingston, you know, not the other guys down the line, how they're going to develop. What happens with our veterans, you know, how does Brandon Parker, Do we get a squeeze, you know, a little more out of him or out out of Hubbard? Does Jake Brendle continue, Does mckivitz take a step and become mean, there's just so many little things within this Banks is coming into a huge year for himself and his future, and all these things weigh on a guy. That's why it's a different dynamic all of a sudden, you know, Feliciano's They're all in a different place than they were a year ago, so each guy presents a different channel.
Speaker 4: I'm excited because I like that.
Speaker 3: I mean, on the upside, there could be a huge, great group of guys that we that we got out of from really not you know, from kind of humble beginnings, and then there's a chance they don't. So all that puts a lot of pressure, but it's really exciting to be able to do to see how they all play out, and it's really fun to watch them all develop and see the pace with which they do it. And it's what makes my job cool because it changes, it's constantly changing every single day.
Speaker 1: So thank you guys,