Speaker 1: Hi Will, How are you doing today?
Speaker 2: I am day three of the flu, which has nicely settled in my stomach, which is fun.
Speaker 1: Settled in your stomach? Where did it start?
Speaker 2: It started? It's so funny. It started in my legs. I start, I thought my legs are super achy and sore, and I thought that it was from running. And then I had oysters, which I almost never do, so then I thought I had food poisoning, and then it's just been three or four days of just solid flu.
Speaker 3: So yeah, no, it was it started in your legs, Like is this like that sounds like something that happens with like the day of polio, right.
Speaker 4: Is that?
Speaker 2: No, it started just my legs being super sore and achy. That was the first kind of symptom that I had. And then I was just kind of aching everywhere, and then yeah, it's been it's been fun.
Speaker 1: That's not fun.
Speaker 2: I'm sorry. So how are you?
Speaker 1: I'm fine?
Speaker 2: Yeah. Forever reason I get up and run out of the room as we're recording, that's the only reason why. It has nothing to do with you. Because you look beautiful today, well you always look beautiful, but look are you all done up?
Speaker 1: I am all gussied up you are.
Speaker 2: I won't ask why in case it's something that you're not allowed to talk about, but it looks like it's an interview.
Speaker 3: It's an interview I think for some Israeli talk show or something, so that's fun. But yeah, I mean there's two Christie's, as you know Will, there's the makeup Christie and then there's just normal Christie.
Speaker 1: But makeup Christie is a whole other level.
Speaker 2: I would argue there's more than two from how long I've known you, but that's but those are the two that you present. But I've known several Christie, like there are several Wills. I think that's I think that's normal of most people. I think that's normal for most people. But we are all here once again for this super awesome contest. The voice actor.
Speaker 3: Over the weekend, I saw the Mario brother movie, the Super Mario Brother Movie.
Speaker 2: How was it look I thought of you.
Speaker 3: I thought of what we originally had said about the general conflict of celebrities sort of coming into the space of the animation world. And I tried to be as like non biased as possible, because as a voice actor, I think you your mind tends to go there.
Speaker 5: Sure, And like I think that I think that these actors who are approaching these characters are aware of how they are taking the jobs from other people, because it.
Speaker 1: Seems to me that they are making more of.
Speaker 3: An effort to act, you know what I mean, not just like portray themselves. Sure, but it definitely seems like it almost seems like in tandem with the casting itself saying to themselves, well, we do need to make sure that this because there's so much criticism from the fans.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know that.
Speaker 3: I think they answer to the fans, and the fans are the ones that are so you know, almost like they police the community too right that they want the top quality, They want the top quality voice talent. And I don't even think they care if that's really you know, a celebrity actor or not.
Speaker 2: No, they don't at all. They want the best they can do. And as I've said, every actor, you know, a list actor, to the people that are just you know, really trying to get there, everybody should try voiceover because it's a ton of fun. So I'm not saying that, you know, somebody shouldn't go and be a void, but I think as an a list actor, you you have the power to say, Hey, I definitely will do this role, but I want to make sure at least fifty percent of the cast are just voiceover actors and that's how everybody works. So but speaking of that, we're gonna find the next one. We are in the middle of finding the next big one on the Super Awesome Contest to find the next Big Voice Actor. You know, we always like to start with our thank you shout outs, and we certainly want to think everybody who's helped make this contest possible. From our friends over at Prime Video, our friends over ceesd are friends over at Critical Role, don't forget the check out season two of Vox mocking at Out Now are our friends at iHeart everybody, our parent company at iHeart everybody who's really worked and helped to make this happen. We are getting great feedback from the fans. A friend of mine who does another podcast called mash Matters, which I love so much, which is just all about and I've actually gone on and just talked about mash. Can you believe that he hit me up the other day with a picture of him listening to episode four of the contest, and he just wrote he said, I cannot believe how emotionally invested in this I am. He's like, this is such a great show and I'm so emotionally invested in the contest. I cannot wait to see who wins. So shout out to Ryan Patrick for listening to the podcast and loving it. And I think people are invested and they want to know who's going to win. And that me too.
Speaker 4: Me too.
Speaker 2: We've had some amazing, amazing, amazing celebrity guest judges come in and today is no exception. Who do we have joining us once again, Christy.
Speaker 3: Well, I'm really excited that we have Brock Powell on today with us. They are going to be an amazing judge.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they've been on before and Brock was an awesome judge in the past, so well, an awesome guest in the past, and we asked them to join us and here they are, so I can't wait. We should bring them on. Hey, Hey, Brock, Brock, thank you so much for joining us as our celebrity guest judge today. This is the super awesome contest to become the next big Voice actor. We are really excited that you're here.
Speaker 6: I am so so stoked to help.
Speaker 4: Judge feels like a weird word, but to adjudicate, I guess adjudicate feels less scared.
Speaker 2: Adjudicator, Okay, a judicator you're helping to adjudicate. I like judge because I think it's as exactly what it is. You are judging who's going to be next. And by the way, whoever you don't vote for going through is not going to be a fan of yours anymore. That's just how it works. That's it, that's it done. That's actually not how it is. We've got the best contestants in the world. One of the things we talk about is that it's been so hard for us to adjudicate. I will use that word, because everybody's so good. You know, we went from forty two hundred down to sixteen, and we said right from the beginning that the sixteen that made the finals, all of them could be signed. I mean really all of them could be signed. So it's we've been picking has been really really difficult. I mean really really difficult. There are some people that obviously they it's like the other contestant kind of runs into a buzzsaw because they're so good. But it's rare most weeks. It's really really close.
Speaker 4: Yeah. Wow, Well I'm I'm just I'm so excited to be here and I can't wait to hear and see what we what. We haven't started that, so it's going to be great.
Speaker 2: Well, we're going to jump right into it. So I don't know if you've been listening, but so what we're doing this for this first round to get to the from the Sweet sixteen, which is a name I came up with, to the Elite Eight, which is another name I came up with, you go to the Final four.
Speaker 1: I didn't catch.
Speaker 2: By the way, for everybody out there, these are all basketball terms for March madness. I came up with none of this, but hilarious going from the Sweet sixteen to the Elite Eight. The first game we are going to play is we play a game called by the Numbers. So what we're going to be doing is we bring our contestants on and brack. If it's okay with you, you are going to be picking random numbers from four categories. The categories that we have are size, what are you, age, and a wacky attribute. With the numbers that you pick, a character will be created and the contestants will have to. They've been given two lines of dialogue that we're written. They've had a night to study these two lines of dialogue. We will go through a couple characters with these two lines of dialogue, and then the third round and final round is a line they have not yet seen. So it is a cold reading with a new character that we've created. It is a ton of fun. It leads to some nutty and wacky voices, and it really is a blast to kind of see kind of who is doing what and where? So we can't we love it?
Speaker 4: No, this is great, And I mean, yeah, I have been listening and it sounds like you've been covering all the principles of what you know we voice actors deal with like on the job all the time. And I'm excited.
Speaker 2: Let's throw them in here we go. So, I think our first contestant, we don't know who came in first. We always like to see who came in first, and I think our first contestant usually pops up here. Yes, our first contestant is going to be Paul from Pennsylvania. Yay, Hey Paul, how are you hi?
Speaker 4: I'm good.
Speaker 2: Oh, listen to that voice right off the bast I love that.
Speaker 1: Thank you, my goodness.
Speaker 2: So, Paul, welcome to the super awesome Contests to become the next big voice actor. Congratulations on making the top sixteen.
Speaker 7: Thank you so much.
Speaker 2: It's who look at that? I'm telling you that is crazy. I'm well, this is Christy and our celebrity guest judge for the day is a guest adjudicator, is what we're calling. That is Brock Powell, and Brock you know, is from Hamster and Gretel and a whole bunch of other stuff. So Brock is a voiceover actor extraordinary and they're going to be helping us out today with the whole rounds and everything going on and playing Round one, which is of course called by the numbers. But before we get into that, Paul, can you tell us a little bit about your journey. What made you decide to take a shot at becoming a voiceover actor?
Speaker 7: Sure? Sure, So. I was a theater kid in high school and I still remember the moment that I knew performing was was the career path for me what I wanted to do. So I decided to pursue musical theater. Took steps to pursue that. I auditioned for colleges. First time didn't go so well. Second time got into a good school, and while I was there, I became more aware of a voiceover as a potential career path and it really intrigued me, you know. And around the same time, I also I found critical role and all the voice actors on there are sure so inspiring.
Speaker 2: So here you are.
Speaker 7: Yeah, it was for me.
Speaker 1: I'm sorry, is this your real voice? I can't believe it.
Speaker 2: Wow, huh, that is awesome. All right, Paul, Well you were awesome. You were here first, so we started by introducing you, but we are going to now introduce our second guest. We will be back to you to start round one. Do you have your two lines of dialogue?
Speaker 4: Yes?
Speaker 2: I do, all right, perfectly. We'll be right back with you in one second. Paul, Thank you so much.
Speaker 4: Wow.
Speaker 2: Well, guys, I almost wish we weren't playing by the numbers this week and we were, you know, playing our next game, which I'm not going to tell you what that is, but we'll get into that later. But wow, how about that rock? What do you think of that? Right off the bat?
Speaker 8: First impressions, Well, one, I think the natural voice, in the natural instrument of an act is always super important, but the personality is always what we're looking for.
Speaker 6: And Paul just seems like such a sweet human being, So.
Speaker 4: Can he also narrate my life exactly exactly?
Speaker 2: Brock wakes up in the morning, exactly this morning, they walked to the bathroom. Yeah, no, that's perfect. Love that all right. Let's bring in our second contestant. Who is Haley from Texas? From Austin, Texas, No way, yes, which I think we know.
Speaker 1: Is my neighbor.
Speaker 2: Hi, Haley, how are you.
Speaker 4: Esa? I know?
Speaker 9: Hi?
Speaker 10: I saw I saw you post somewhere about like a nail place recently, and I was like, I've always wanted to go there.
Speaker 1: Oh, you should definitely go there. Look at look at the merged very cool. Yes I do. I do my own at the moment. But they're gorgeous.
Speaker 10: They're they're not as fun and fabulous as like flowers.
Speaker 2: I would show you my nails, but you would think there was something wrong with me us. Haley, welcome to the show.
Speaker 11: Thank you.
Speaker 2: I'm well. That's Christy and Brock Powell is our celebrity adjudicator for the day. They have said adjudicator because that is the way we have to go from now on.
Speaker 1: I love it's like coming up, there's an adjudicator and.
Speaker 6: It's very john Wick girl. Absolutely, it makes.
Speaker 10: You sound very like like it's it's legit.
Speaker 2: It also took some of it. It takes some of the what did you call it? It was the I don't know, the onus off of like you're you're not judging somebody, You're helping to move them to the next and.
Speaker 6: Yeah about momentum.
Speaker 4: But also, my powdered wig is at the drag cleaners, so if it was here, I would absolutely be a judge.
Speaker 2: Is that is that? How do you actually dry clean a powdered wig? Is that how that works?
Speaker 4: Well, maybe that's why it's taking so long.
Speaker 2: That could be.
Speaker 1: Wouldn't that just get.
Speaker 2: I have no welcome and congratulations now before we get into round one very quickly, what made you want to become a voiceover actor?
Speaker 1: Well, I I sort of do.
Speaker 10: Regular acting, which is a horrible way putting it, but I've done stage acting for my whole life.
Speaker 9: They've been living in the UK.
Speaker 1: For the last like decade or so, and.
Speaker 10: I've been doing immersive theater and cabaret over there, and then you know the apocalypse hit and theater had to close down, and not only that, but I lost my visa, so I had to come back to the US.
Speaker 11: And come up with something to do.
Speaker 10: That you know, was artistically fulfilling and maybe at some point made some money. And voiceover had always been in the back of my head because I'm a video game kid and an animation kid, as I'm sure probably all of was involved in this R because it's wonderful, of course, and I had done a couple of classes and stuff in the past, and I have all the equipment for singing, so I just went you know what. It had been in my head as like a when the time comes, when I have a minute, when I'm settled, I'll look into t VO. And then finally the world had kind of stopped and I was like, well, now's the time. So I took a couple more classes, and I sent out a bunch of auditions on ACX to do audiobook narration.
Speaker 9: I said, I think I sent out.
Speaker 10: Like nine auditions and I booked like eight of them, and I was like, okay, well, there's the next year of my life learning how to do audio books. So that was sort of what I did for a while, and now I'm loving it and really ready to kind of do the the even more funds.
Speaker 2: Right, but you're not refled, right, you don't have you don't have a rep. Okay, good, so then you can come into the contest, which is good. Don't worry.
Speaker 10: I read I read the rules like I've only been here in the US for a couple of years, back in the US for a couple years, and I haven't actually been worked professionally over here.
Speaker 2: Okay, Well, here we go, Well welcome, Here we go, and your fellow contestant actually got here first, so we are going to be starting with them, but we will come right back to you for round one. Do you have your two lines ready?
Speaker 12: All right there?
Speaker 2: All right, here we go. We'll be right back with you, Haley. Here we go. We're bringing Paul back in, all right, and we are going to be starting round one. There he is, okay, Paul, Round one, Round one of are wonderful by the numbers contest, as you know, Paul. For everybody out there listening, we are going to be selecting, and by we I mean Brock is going to be selecting a character for you based on four different categories. Size, what are you age and a wacky attribute? And then you will read the line of dialogue in the character created. So, Brock, if you would please a number between one and six.
Speaker 4: We're gonna go with five.
Speaker 2: Well, five, And now a number between one and twelve.
Speaker 6: We're gonna go too.
Speaker 2: And a number between one and seven.
Speaker 6: Ooh three.
Speaker 2: And finally, please a number between one and eleven.
Speaker 4: All right, Paul, we're gonna go to eleven.
Speaker 1: Okay, Christy, what are we ready for this?
Speaker 3: You're a tiny cat who's ten years old and you're an athletic coach. Oh okay, so you're an athletic coach, you're ten years old and you're a tiny cat.
Speaker 7: All right?
Speaker 1: Anything before this? Just let him go for it.
Speaker 2: I think we just let him go break your break your voice, Paul, line one, at your pleasure, please.
Speaker 7: All right, lather rinse, repeat, lather rinse repeat. It's been three weeks in this shower. Someone.
Speaker 2: Okay, Brock, do you have any notes?
Speaker 4: Okay? So off the bat? Some risks.
Speaker 6: I love the tape, but since it's a cat, maybe.
Speaker 4: It's riskers like whiskers. I do a lot of creature work, and so I really appreciate when someone takes the because a lot of animals talking. Animation obviously really kind of hard to watch a show without any talking at all. But I love when we pepper in the things that make the animal the animal, and so the vocalizations were really great, really great choice there. And also just the cadence of the voice felt very cat like to me, in the way that we have quite a few cats at our house, and so the way the cats often you know, perr and the ebb and the flow. It felt very flowy. So that was the first thing. The second thing was I loved the risk of taking the pitch up because obviously we're thinking ten year old and we're thinking tiny. I think it was a great choice if you, if you were to have a second take or a second opportunity. One thing that's always kind of interesting is taking so ten years old in human years maybe different than ten years old in catyres, because a ten year old cat is actually kind of old, right, So there might be an opportunity to do something kind of unexpected, which is always what I think as artists we're looking to do, which is to entertain and surprise ourselves. But overall, I really loved the interpretation of the first pass, and I thought it was really really fun.
Speaker 2: Christy, Well, are you going to say no?
Speaker 3: That's why I wanted to say something before, But I'm glad we waited it. It is a recurring concept of ten years old. Do you play it in animal years or do you play it in the actual or do you play it for real?
Speaker 1: But you know, and we always say, you make the as actors.
Speaker 3: You make the bold choice, and it's showing people that you can go big is great because then you can always scale back, right. It's a lot harder for them to pull it out of you. But I mean, I personally loved that. I even loved the hiss at the end. Usually we have the curaks our contestants to incorporate that, and I mean I almost wonder if he did. I mean, are we doing another take two for him? It would just be for fun. I would think for him to really lean into the cat part of it.
Speaker 1: But I think it was great.
Speaker 2: The only thing I would add is, and I know this, I don't even know how I would give this note. I would just add I'd like to hear a little bit more of the athletic coach h That's right.
Speaker 1: I totally forgot about that.
Speaker 2: I don't even know how you would incorporate that, but I'd love to hear a little bit more of the athletic coach. But that being said, I like the rest of the notes too. But it was a great first Take good choices, and let's give you another pass and see what happens. So Paul Uh once again, line one, actual pleasure, lather.
Speaker 7: Rinse, repeat, lava, rinse repeat. It's been three weeks in this shower.
Speaker 13: Someone helped me.
Speaker 2: That was great, good choices. We will be right back with your really good adjustments.
Speaker 1: I thought he's got the confidence too. I think he must be.
Speaker 3: Both of them seem very confident and capable, and that's really wonderful.
Speaker 2: You can tell us from theater.
Speaker 4: Absolutely yeah. Background really really helps, and I hope everyone listening at home, you know, at least with these two contestants today, and you have that stage theatrical background.
Speaker 6: But what's interesting is where you come from theater.
Speaker 4: I find often in the medium of voiceover, people forget how much heavy lifting you have to do because you're creating the set and your scene partner and your costume, and so you're looking to create all those vocal dynamics that when you're on.
Speaker 6: The stage you just have to worry about projecting just one elements.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 4: So the second take, I really noticed that there was a little more movement, and especially well when you had mentioned, oh hey, let's just there's this fun bit with the athletic coach. I feel like you nailed that. I thought, yeah, absolutely, yeah, and the kind of and and I find when you have three things to focus on, that's a lot to juggle, especially for an audition, right, So I usually picked two. So if I were to do do two takes just like Paul did, I would focus on my interpretation of the age and my interpretation of the situation. And the second one I might lean more into my extrapolation of Okay, what was my peach like in school?
Speaker 2: Sure?
Speaker 4: Or like what or what would be the funniest coaching job a cat could have?
Speaker 6: And there was something about to me.
Speaker 4: Paul's version of the second one was definitely coaching water polo.
Speaker 6: And I could hear it. I could hear this frustration of you know, I'm a cat.
Speaker 4: I think that's good time.
Speaker 2: Well, let's see a tough act to follow. Let's see you bring Haley in from round number one here and see where we can go from there. Haley, how are you? We are here for round number one and Brock is going to be picking your character for you. So Brock, if you would please a number between one.
Speaker 4: And six okay, let's go too.
Speaker 2: And now a number between one and twelve. Nine, and now a number between one and seven six sick stick, and finally a number between one and eleven please. Oh Christine, I like this.
Speaker 3: Okay, You're a sixty year old, proper British alien who is big. So you are a big alien who is sixty years old and who has a proper British accent.
Speaker 2: I wonder how that's going to work you having lived in England for as long as you did, no.
Speaker 10: Right, it would be all all of my friends in England if I don't do this.
Speaker 2: Well, are you ready, Haley?
Speaker 9: Yes, I am, thank you.
Speaker 2: Okay, so line number one please at your pleasure.
Speaker 11: Lovat repeat lava.
Speaker 9: It's been Rick in the shower someone.
Speaker 4: Oh what.
Speaker 2: Brock any notes?
Speaker 4: I mean, I love the choice to do the kind of glottal placement because you know, there's so many versions of the British accent, and I'm a big monted Python fan and that's sort of like very time. Yeah, that's absolutely such a great caricature. I feel like doesn't get us used enough. I love the risk taking. I loved the you know I could. I always try to picture the character when someone's performing. So that alien had a couple arms and some loofahs and was definitely you know, conditioning and shampooing.
Speaker 6: I thought it was great.
Speaker 4: My only note would be for a second take. I'd love to hear some more. When I think big, I want to hear something that.
Speaker 14: Feels like fills the room a little more, you know, so maybe taking it in the direction of a Judy Dantra Helen Mirren, just a big presence, like a very over the.
Speaker 9: Top, absolutely something like that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Christie, Yeah, I loved.
Speaker 3: I loved the glottle thing too, But you would you could also if you're doing the Judy Dench opera singer type, you know, big woman, you could not be confined to just that to show us that you're an alien. I don't know if it's Sometimes people will improve like beat boops if they're.
Speaker 1: You know, a robe or you know could.
Speaker 3: We love seeing the bold choices because it shows us your range and we know, we.
Speaker 1: Know you have it, so show us, show us please, I.
Speaker 2: Would say, yeah, I would say just play. I liked all your choices. I just want to see you take another sing in it. Frankly, all right, So Haley, here we go somewhere completely different anyway, whatever you want to do, it's completely up to you. So line number one again, please at your pleasure.
Speaker 9: Repet It has been three weeks in this show. Someone, Oh, that was great.
Speaker 2: We'll be right back with you. Thank you, man, oh man, good job.
Speaker 3: This could be flipping hard. This could be a tough week, honestly, chrise summer. We had a tough one with Kree, right, yeah, was that our tough and.
Speaker 1: This one's tough too. I mean they're all tough. Everyone's amazing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this could be really tough, though some are.
Speaker 3: More ready right because we did such a large papering of how many candidates we had. These are two folks that truly could be working beside us.
Speaker 13: Right.
Speaker 2: It's also one of those things where you I look at it like they could also be doing different things because she could go out and easily do exactly what she just did. You know, a character like that where he could go out and be the next voice of Hyundai or Toyota or something. So they could be doing two completely separate things in the voiceover industry and both be incredibly successful doing it. So it leads to leads.
Speaker 3: To I'm glad you're here today because I do feel like that you're judicating has been really nuanced in a way that is really helpful to when we're going to be going to move forward with this decision. Obviously, range is really important, but like like you said, personality is a big thing, but they both have great personalities.
Speaker 4: Yeah, right, so great personalities, And then the other thing for those playing at home, direct ability is always the big thing, and acting.
Speaker 2: They can both, Yes, they can.
Speaker 4: Both act, and they can take directions super well and extrapolate upon the direction, which is always the thing that you think are like, oh, well, if someone takes direction better, I'm always going to lean towards choosing that person. But they both took the direction and ran with it, which is what you look for.
Speaker 2: So yeah, well here's what I would ask right now. I don't think one is leading over the other, but that's my own opinion. Does anybody else have one who says, hey, this person is slightly better than the other because right now I have them tied tied so far.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I think we're pretty neck and neck to be honest.
Speaker 2: Okay, all right, let's move on to round too and see what we got here. So let's bring Paul back in. This is here we go. Hey, Paul, welcome back.
Speaker 15: Hi.
Speaker 2: We are moving on too, right.
Speaker 1: It doesn't get on every time he does.
Speaker 2: Not.
Speaker 3: I get like shivers in my money than you.
Speaker 4: Yeah, my noise canceling headphone, My entire skull is like it is.
Speaker 2: Okay, So we are moving onto line number two, and once again, Brock is going to pick your character for you. So, Brock, if you would please a number between one and six.
Speaker 4: Let's go two.
Speaker 2: You did that last round. Let's pick a different one.
Speaker 4: Oh we did. I'm so sorry. Uh let's go one.
Speaker 2: Uh huh that's and work. And now number between one and twelve. Uh.
Speaker 4: Ten.
Speaker 2: And now a number between one and seven.
Speaker 4: It's really good. Seven.
Speaker 2: And now a number between one and eleven. A.
Speaker 1: Oh wow, this is a good one. Are you ready for this?
Speaker 7: Yes?
Speaker 1: You are a giant giant robot. Robot ninety five years old.
Speaker 7: Ninety five years old.
Speaker 9: Wait, what was that last one.
Speaker 3: Oh, yes, you've been stuck in traffic for six hours?
Speaker 2: All right, so Paul, you got a ninety five year old giant robot who's been stuck in traffic for six hours. Line number two, at your pleasure.
Speaker 7: We are now to the mixing portion of the recipe. You'll notice that I have used fish gots instead of sugar. Gotcha. That was a mistake. So let's go ahead and throw this all.
Speaker 1: That was crazy.
Speaker 2: That was a crazy take any notes.
Speaker 4: I mean, you definitely nailed like iron giant asque, big booming robot. I'm picturing some you know, in a way too tiny car. I would love to hear something that honors It can almost be difficult when we do something like this because you're we're throwing so many random spices onto some text and maybe doesn't match. But I think you have the ability to make the text connect a little more. So maybe we could play it like the giant robot has lost his mind, or he's been in traffic so long, he's uh, you know, now has a camera aperture, and he's doing a cooking show in the car. So I think we can combine all those things and also make it clear of why the text is happening, and that might speed up the speech a little bit, which I love the choice of the monotone automaton, but I think that the character might be able to have a little more personality, a little more connectedness.
Speaker 7: Okay, I mean, if.
Speaker 3: You've heard what AI can do these days with like they do all the different voices and they simulate them. I actually think that what we think of as like the serie voice and stuff is definitely changing.
Speaker 1: Right, so I wouldn't be feel as restrained to the.
Speaker 3: Typical robot voice. But because also too, it's like not doing Yeah, that's I don't I don't want to overdirect.
Speaker 4: That's great.
Speaker 1: I like like what Rock said.
Speaker 4: I do.
Speaker 2: I agree with what Brox said. I think we need to hear a little more stuck in traffic, And by that I mean maybe he's starting to short circuit a little bit.
Speaker 1: Yes, literally, what happens if.
Speaker 2: There is a short circuit in there? So let's give it one more try line too, at your pleasure.
Speaker 7: We are now to the mixing portion of the recipe. You'll notice that I have have have have have have used fish guts instead of sugar. That was a mistake, So let's go ahead and just throw all this out.
Speaker 4: That's terrifying.
Speaker 1: That was terrifying to me.
Speaker 4: I don't know.
Speaker 2: I loved it. Good adjustments though, loved it.
Speaker 6: Yeah, great copy and paste too. That was really fun.
Speaker 2: Thank you very much. We'll be right back with you for round three.
Speaker 7: All right, thank you very much.
Speaker 1: I mean, his voice is butter it is, it really is.
Speaker 2: I mean it, and he's got the acting. So that's where it's one of those things where it's there's times where we play this game for him.
Speaker 6: Though.
Speaker 3: That was a challenging round, and you know, because it was a giant character, I kind of thought he would.
Speaker 1: Really bring it home more.
Speaker 3: But you know, like you said, I think it is difficult to like shake yourself out of just the narration like this.
Speaker 1: Is what I did really well.
Speaker 2: So yeah, I felt like that for the first time. Yeah, for the first time. I felt like in that round the acting was lacking just a little bit. Some of the pauses were a little too long, some of the choices were a little off, But that does not change the fact that his voice is phenomenal. It's really I mean, it's just it's really really good. And when you have that kind of instrument going in and he obviously has the basics of the acting down. He really does. It's just that round. I didn't think it was great, but the choices that he then took in the direction that he then took took it in a different direction, and I thought it was I thought it was good. I mean, I just want to hear him. I just want to hear this guy. Do ad read though, I mean all day or movie announcing, because it's I mean, how do you not want this guy announcing the next Marvel film? Souh such a good voice, but.
Speaker 3: I'm like he needs to be like Disney rides, you know, like please get off of the you know exit.
Speaker 4: Yeah, well you can do. That was the interesting thing though, like we gave him a robot and it almost for that second round that almost hurt him a little bit because it was so in the wheelhouse of oh I should be able to do this because I have this instrument, and I think, you know, it's so easy for us to sit here and be like, oh, here's the choice I would have made. This is so hard and so difficult man.
Speaker 2: To imagine being at home crazy.
Speaker 4: You know, because we do work from home and we record and often you know, you'll be recording for Disney or Marvel or whoever, and it's stressful. It's just it. It can be really hard. So I have all.
Speaker 6: Just all the respect for Paul and everybody because.
Speaker 4: I think everyone's doing great to what we're really listening for is that acting. So that I think that third round is going to be the make or break for me with my with my selection for Paul.
Speaker 2: Well let's see, let's see, yeah we still have. We still got round two with Haley, so let's see if somebody just can just run away with it. But so far they're both great. So here we go. Let's bring Haley back in. Hi, Haley, I think you're muted. Oh no, there you are. Now you're good. Oh you just made it see with your acting and you made you said hello, but you say, there you go. So here we go with round two, line too and Brock, if you would please a number between one and six?
Speaker 4: Yes, I think I have not picked three for this one yet, have I three?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 4: Three?
Speaker 2: And now a number between one and twelve?
Speaker 4: Uh eight?
Speaker 2: And now a number between one and seven five, and finally a number between one and eleven.
Speaker 4: Two.
Speaker 2: Oh you go Christaves, what have we got?
Speaker 3: You're a medium fish who's thirty years old and is Scottish.
Speaker 12: I feel like there's something happening here that, like the world knows that I should just get all.
Speaker 9: The accent ones.
Speaker 1: Appreciate that.
Speaker 9: Thanks.
Speaker 2: There you go, right in your wheelhouse.
Speaker 9: Menada and Dolly had a baby.
Speaker 6: A medium fish, A medium.
Speaker 1: Fish, medium fish fish, and she's.
Speaker 2: Thirty A thirty year old medium sized fish at Scottish obviously.
Speaker 9: A Scottish law.
Speaker 4: There you go it.
Speaker 2: So line number two nine, number nine, number two actually.
Speaker 1: Really well will good job, right, good job. No, she's actually quite fierce.
Speaker 11: Then all the way, okay, we are now to the mixing portion of the recipe.
Speaker 12: You'll notice that I've used fish guts instead of sugar.
Speaker 9: Okay, no, that was a mistake. So let's just go ahead and throw all this away.
Speaker 12: And again, Okay, that sounds like cannibally some of the get to buy wants that really do they.
Speaker 2: Brock any notes?
Speaker 4: So funny?
Speaker 6: I really, I really love it.
Speaker 4: I the only thing I want to think of, like a little a little more, just to keep your reads different, because we heard what you did in the first round was awesome. I would love to, and doesn't necessarily mean the timber thing like you have to go higher, but I would love to because you you just did a sixty five year old alien, So I would love to hear a more clear delineation of what a thirty year old fish sounds like. I'm thinking, like, you know, a younger, more unsure of themselves.
Speaker 6: Kind of kind of thing.
Speaker 4: I love the cannibalism ad lib. I am.
Speaker 6: I'm crazy for improv. I think your prov is so important because it could shore you move in the.
Speaker 4: Character, right, yeah, and you get the character. So I would just love to hear some more.
Speaker 1: Just so go further in there.
Speaker 2: Okay, great, I think so Christy will Christy?
Speaker 3: I think that's I think I really to almost like expand on what Brock was just saying about her being like this thirty year old certain sort of more uncertain of herself. It's it's I know what you're saying, Rock, but I also wonder if she knows what you're saying.
Speaker 1: Do you know what they're saying?
Speaker 10: I think the idea that the last one so sort of just just play less. I tend to play sort of foot forward powerful characters, so to kind of play more of a.
Speaker 6: Does she made a mistake?
Speaker 4: Yeah, imper energy, you know, like not worldly if you are in a Scottish lock and you don't really know you're in this little lake the world, right and maybe and.
Speaker 3: Maybe it's more too like you're you're you're really just improv improvising the cooking and then you and then the fish cuts is more of a surprise. You're like, oh, this is what I've got. Well, we're yeah, and you're almost it's like, we're not gonna do that. We're gonna throw it all the way.
Speaker 4: I like that.
Speaker 1: I like that.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Okay, so you're saying less less lady Mary more made scullery maid kind of thing.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think so exactly.
Speaker 10: It's the pilot episode of a cooking show, not season fourteen.
Speaker 1: We're not sure it's going to get picked up.
Speaker 2: Perfect. I say, just take another swing and see what happens, Haley at your pleasure.
Speaker 11: Okay, okay, we are known to the mixing portion of the recipe. Oh you'll notice that that you've done, Oh no, fish cuts instead of sugar. Well, sorry, cramb all, that was a mistake.
Speaker 9: Let's just throw all this gus.
Speaker 2: That was great. We will be right back with you. Job.
Speaker 4: Good job. Wow.
Speaker 2: See that to me was that showed a different level of acting. Frankly, you know, just he was great.
Speaker 4: I don't want to say blows the other performance out of the water, but I'm just going for the pun. I'm not saying literally no.
Speaker 2: But no, but it is now Paul is really good. He's got that if he's got the instrument. I mean, nobody could say he does not have the instrument, but the improv the confidence, I mean, that's all the stuff. That's not to say Paul is in confidence, because he certainly is. But she's got this open kind of working with you to find the character kind of vibe. I mean, again, we're looking for somebody. We've always said Brock that the second they win could be in the recording booth with one of us the next day.
Speaker 4: So I think the thing that that again every round, I'm kind of getting more of a vocabulary of what I think I'm looking for. And tell me if this is what if you guys agree with this. A sense of ease because it isn't just about confidence. It's also the sense of like you're capable, but you're not cocky. It's a very fine line and we all kind of right line of just be easy to work with and poacities and beauties.
Speaker 6: Yeah, Hailey was.
Speaker 4: Funny and also the pop culture reference thing I would say in sessions that I've directed and been directed in one of the common denominators is we talk in pop culture. We're making cartoons, and the scripts that we're reading are often going to be like, oh, it's like Indiana Jones and this and so if you don't watch a lot of movies, and this is for everyone listening at home, and you don't watch a lot of TV and you want to get into voiceover, this is the time. This is the time to cross off Lord of the Rings and Back to the Future and all those like outlier nerdy things, because they come up with a lot.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no, it's a to me. It was you know, it was just the second round. She just kind of edged out the acting a little bit straight up.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that was pretty pretty wonderful to see that.
Speaker 2: Great adjustments. Now that being said, the characters were also picking for her are right in her wheelhouse, whereas the ones it does. Whereas the ones we're picking for Paul, it's like, you know, it aren't as perfectly suited for him, as you know if it was, Hey, you're now a fifty five year old suave man who is the movie announcer. And then the line starts.
Speaker 4: Within a world.
Speaker 2: He's gonna come off as the greatest thing in the world. So there's a lot of different factors that we have to put in there. But let's go to round three and see what happens. So bring let's bring Paul back in for round three. Hey, Paul, how are you hie goill?
Speaker 7: Doing pretty good?
Speaker 2: All right? So here we are with round three. Now, if you will look at your chat, you will see a new line being sent in for you. Do you see it?
Speaker 4: There? Uh?
Speaker 7: Yes, I do? Okay, perfect, move this into a better place on my screen.
Speaker 2: There you go, and while you take a moment with it, we're gonna pick your character for you. And by we, I mean Brock because we have nothing to do with this. It's all Brocks, so you can blame them for.
Speaker 1: Everything he's adjudicating. It's all him.
Speaker 4: It's all audicator.
Speaker 2: All right, Brock, here we go, if you would please, there we go a number between one and six.
Speaker 4: All right, and then we'll just so know, am I trying to avoid any of the numbers I called.
Speaker 2: Before, if you can, great, we'd like to not repeat if possible, but that is completely up to you. You're the adjudicator. My friend he was one.
Speaker 8: Yeah, so let's do sixty, and now numbers one through.
Speaker 4: Twelve, one through twelve. Let's go.
Speaker 2: Three, and now, if you would please, the number between one and seven one, and finally a number between one and eleven. Keen. Interesting, Christy, what.
Speaker 1: Do you You've had this? I feel like we've had this pairing before.
Speaker 2: Have we? We had this combo? Here we go?
Speaker 1: Not on this episode, not on this episode.
Speaker 3: So all right, you you will be a microscopic mouse who is ancient and you're a free of your own shadow.
Speaker 2: Okay, that seems to lend itself perfectly to the baritone in your voice. I'm gonna tell you, Paul, you've walked into some characters today that are very difficult for you. That is obviously the nature of guessing the character. But I just have to say that out loud, because there are some that probably are not perfectly situated to where you are in your tambourister. Yeah, we will. We will go from there, and that's you never know what characters are going to be reading for and that's part of part of what it is.
Speaker 7: So it's when you subvert expectations exactly exactly.
Speaker 2: So line three, please at your pleasure.
Speaker 15: If you remove one wheel from a tricycle, you get a bicycle. But what happens when you remove one wheel from a bicycle? Man, no one's thought of that. Wait, you in a cycle again? I said, anything, Rock, you go first?
Speaker 4: You're no, No, Christy, please please please.
Speaker 3: No, Honestly mine, just like I had to say it because I just think that was so there and it was so fun and the acting was really it was really good. What I'm looking for personally would be you removing the spaces in between all of those moments so that it flows like almost fifty percent faster.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's it. That's all I'm looking for.
Speaker 3: But everything else was fun, and I just want to see that from you, great Rock.
Speaker 4: I felt very George Carlin inspired, So I'm obviously on board with that. That was really great. I was very surprised by the interpretation I get.
Speaker 6: I think it's a great choice.
Speaker 4: The only thing I would say, and this might be a different direction than than you know, resonates with you. Paul and I always say go with your gut, don't you know, take the direction as best you as best you can, but go through gut. I would love to hear a little more like Dumbledoreian kind of ancient Chriscot. So I want to play on that a little more because I think you have this almost like this guy is pretending to be wise, which is like, you know, like basically he's reciting the big Mac recipe and be like have you ever thought about the system? See? So it's like I don't know. So maybe something like that would be fun to hear on the second take. But again, go with your guy.
Speaker 2: You are a critical role fan, so I will say, Gandalf, go a little more Gandalf. That being said, also, I think we lost a little afraid of your own shadow.
Speaker 7: Oh right, right, right, right, right right right.
Speaker 2: So I know, and again again it's one of those things where a lot of times you can't throw in everything that that that the numbers give you. You just can't. You can't do tiny little ancient mouse that is also afraid. I mean, sometimes you just can't do all the things. So I liked the choice you made, frankly, but I think let's see if you can just switch it up for the second round. I thought the first take was great. Let's see what you can do with the second take, and I see if you can play a little bit more of if Gandolf was really really scared, and see if we go from there and at your pleasure.
Speaker 13: Okay, if you'll remove one wheel from a tricycle, you'll get a bicycle. But what happens when you remove one wheel bicycle? Hm, no one's thought of that. Oh wait, you in a cycle? Okay he said anything.
Speaker 2: That was great? Thank you so much, Paul. We will be right back with you. That second read was I mean, you know who he reminds me of a little bit, but well, you know he's a critical role fan. So but that second read really reminded me of Travis Willingham.
Speaker 4: That was the first thing I thought of when he jumped into that was Travis.
Speaker 2: He sounded like Travis.
Speaker 4: Yeah, great, great direction, by the way, Well you really canct. I thought the Gandalf Touchstowe was real obviously really resonated. Yeah, and it shows the power of something when you know both the director and the actor are on the same page. Because he got the nuance of what you were looking for.
Speaker 2: I thought, yeah, he switched it up. It was man, that second take I thought was really good. They're just so differently. I didn't really, I didn't really no, Okay, okay.
Speaker 1: I wasn't. I kind of I don't know. Let's just okay.
Speaker 2: No, no, no, that's that's fair. I mean, you gotta no, I mean, this is what we're.
Speaker 3: You know why because he didn't take my note, but he took your guys his notes. But it's not because I care about him taking my note. What I cared most about was seeing him act in a fluid motion. And so obviously with animation, we can cut it up any way we want. And I think if we were to cut that up in studio and push it all together, they would have probably erased some of the breathing in between it, you know. And he did do better than the first time around, but he also it's still not as fluid. And that's what's standing out to me about the other contestant is just how fluid her acting is.
Speaker 2: I know, I don't disagree. I don't don't necessarily disagree with you. He's you know, she does have an ease about her dialogue. The way she's coming off he uh, I loved. What I loved about the second take was taking the direction, uh with the with the last one that Paul did, because I do think he switched it up and went the gandolf route, which is exactly what we asked for. But no, I don't. I don't disagree with what you're saying, necessarily, Christy, that she does have. There's there's a fluidity to her cadence.
Speaker 3: That is Brock had mentioned that earlier too, some sort of a fluidity, right, yeah.
Speaker 6: So well, the connectiveness.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I'm excited to hear Haley's last one here. Let's see.
Speaker 2: Yeah, let's see what Haley.
Speaker 4: Let's see.
Speaker 16: I think she's got this slight edge right now, but who knows. Yeah, alright, let's bring Haley back in. Oh no, it's we won't even get into that yet.
Speaker 4: A couple.
Speaker 2: That's the least of it. So yes, we're getting there. Let's bring Haley back. I don't think Brock nos did you hear I'm like day four of a stomach flu So it's been.
Speaker 4: Fund I'm so sorry.
Speaker 2: It's fine. I blame Haley. Oh wait here she is.
Speaker 1: Yes, yes, I'm sorry.
Speaker 9: I gave you fish cut cookies.
Speaker 2: You did it happened, all right, Haley. We are in round three now, and if you will look at your comments. You got your get in your chat. You got the line. Uh huh, read it now immediately. No, I'm kidding, while you while you take a second with it. We are going to have Brock pick your character. Brock, if you would please a number between one and six.
Speaker 6: I don't think we've done six yet.
Speaker 3: That we've done six yet, not for her, but we did it in the last round, but not for her, so that work?
Speaker 1: Yeah, right, okay, right, that actually is helpful to be honest.
Speaker 2: And number between one and twelve?
Speaker 4: Oh boy, nine, we've done nine in this one.
Speaker 2: We have none?
Speaker 1: Yes?
Speaker 2: Did we? Oh?
Speaker 4: Yes we did?
Speaker 2: Yes, we did.
Speaker 4: What I meant to say was seven.
Speaker 2: Yes, we have not done. There we go and now number between one and seven.
Speaker 6: Uh four?
Speaker 2: And finally a number between one and eleven.
Speaker 4: Uh have we done three?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 3: We have?
Speaker 2: Oh, Haley, Haley keeps keeps getting these How is that you possible?
Speaker 1: Okay, answer Brock? Is that your final answer?
Speaker 2: It? We're sticking with that because I want to hear it.
Speaker 1: All right, I'm cool, all right, you are all right, So I'm cool with it. It's lucky, all right.
Speaker 3: You're a microscopic flower that's fifteen years old and German.
Speaker 2: Thanks Roy all the accents. You keep getting all the accents I.
Speaker 9: Know, which is great. Actually, just a little sidebar. I'm in my D and D campaig right now.
Speaker 10: I'm playing a change link specifically because I wanted to have a bunch of different like character faces that had different accents in it. So it's just been like I've spent the last year just practicing a bunch of different accents.
Speaker 2: So you're welcome once again. What is it again, Christy A.
Speaker 3: You are a microscopic flower, she's fifteen years old, and yeah she's German.
Speaker 2: Here we go, Haley, line three, at your pleasure.
Speaker 12: If you rumble from the tricycle, you get a bicycle. But what happened then you'll remove one wheel from a bicycle.
Speaker 9: Hat No one thought about that.
Speaker 12: Oh wait, it's no forget.
Speaker 2: Don't said anything, brockety notes.
Speaker 4: My one note, Haley is I love the character interpretation. I don't have any note. It's about the composition. I think it's really really fun. I want to hear the because you're in the scene with two other people or several other characters. And there's a beat there that I think we're not hitting, which is, uh, you know, a bicycle, a tricycle becomes a bicycle, and a bicycle becomes what would it loses a tire? So they're on the oh unicycle, forget I said that, So invent the line before. Who's saying who's saying that? What's your relationship with that character? I want to hear a little reaction to someone going and so you can so that. And again, because we got our own scene partners, this is a really really pivotal.
Speaker 6: Beat for me.
Speaker 2: Yeah, gotcha, Christy, No.
Speaker 4: I don't.
Speaker 3: I really just listen to Brock at this point because he's got great direction.
Speaker 2: Sweet, I uh for the second take, and I thought the first one was great. I'd like to and I'm going to make since you said these are in your wheelhouse, I'd like to push the German accent a little bit farther, even even farther. Yeah, that's what I would like to say. So let's see what she'll do with that. So line three.
Speaker 3: Wait, wait, wait, okay, I have no Okay, So I feel like we're very heady with her, and I know Brock said the composition of it, your character was really good. So Brock, maybe you can push back on me on this, but I wasn't getting the fifteen year old girl a part of that, and we've heard a lot of range from her so far, but it would be really great to hear that.
Speaker 2: That's also that's also important because if you can go in and you can nail teenage girl or younger girl or younger person, we should even say it's not just a girl boy anything. That's all that will. You know, we are all friends with people who have phenomenal careers and they've never played anybody over the age of twelve, so you know, it seems yeah, so yeah, it's that. I think Christy's right if we can hear teenage person, because even if it comes off as a teenage boy, it doesn't mean I want to hear teenage right and push the accent a little farther. Let's see what you can.
Speaker 7: Do with that.
Speaker 12: Okay, Okay, so be super truman and like a teenage Yeah, like you're from Berlin, Like you're from Berlin, you know absolutely everything.
Speaker 2: Okay, perfect, let's give that a shot.
Speaker 12: Go ahead, So if you're remove one feel from the tricycle, you get a bicycle.
Speaker 9: Yeah, everybody knows this. But but what happens.
Speaker 12: When you remove one deal from a bicycle. No one knows about that, have they?
Speaker 7: N Oh?
Speaker 9: But but.
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 11: No, Okay, fine, forget to said anything, forget it.
Speaker 2: Thank you very much, Haley. We'll be right back with you. Who This is gonna be a tough one.
Speaker 1: I hate my life right now.
Speaker 2: I hate my life too. And I think paul Is is really good. And I think this is one of those weeks where had maybe he been up again somebody it is my opinion now, just talking for me, had he been up against somebody else, he might have moved forward the way.
Speaker 1: Can we please do a tie if it's a tie.
Speaker 2: If it's a tie, I don't think this was Frankly, I think I think first round was. I think she started to edge forward in round two, and I think by now I think I think she's just a better actor at this point. I could be wrong, but that I mean.
Speaker 4: Well, you're not, You're not wrong. The other thing is it is such a gamble and and I think for everyone listening and you know, competing as borice actors in general, it is a luck of the draw. You just don't know sometimes what you're going to get. And I will say it really quick aside super super fast. I saw a very famous voice actor who I love very much of court work together. I think we both worked with Their name rhymes with Hark Mammal and there was a session where something had happened on a casting level, and you know, we get utility roles sometimes and we get handed parts and someone needs to cover something. I watched Mark Park go through a one hour session voicing a seven year old Newsy like a little New Yorker seven year.
Speaker 6: Old Newsy character.
Speaker 4: And when you see a master struggle with something that sometimes we just it's not in our wheelhouse and to be able to push through it and have the grace, and that's the big thing I will say watching Paul to day, I have so much respect for He went for it. I didn't ever feel like like he didn't push back. He wasn't like, hey could maybe brock pick some other numbers because they don't know what they're doing. He just ran with it and I and you know, to that end, I think Paul's going to have a career.
Speaker 2: His voice is so good, I mean, is so good. How do you not want this guy reading every fantasy novel? I want that voice reading every fantasy novel that I read. Want I want to hear him selling me. I'm gonna. I mean, it was just he's he's great, but I see exactly he's really his voice is so I mean that instrument. You can't teach that, because you know you are talking about Hark, But working you can say Mark, I think we can say Mark Hamill. Working with Mark it is watching a masterclass. I mean, he's absolutely phenomenal. And there's times where you get phenomenal people that it's just you're just wrong for the character. It happens all the time. You know, the first two weeks of Back to the Future we're shot with Eric Stultz. Eric Stultz is a phenomenal actor. He just wasn't Marty McFly. That's okay. So you know, Paul is is very you know, is very very very very very good. Do we need to go to a to a tiebreaker? Would you would you like to do Chris Christy, do you want to go to a tiebreaker?
Speaker 9: I'll do it.
Speaker 2: Well, I'm just saying, do you want to go to a tiebreaker? Do you think we need a tiebreaker this week. I do Okay, well, if you do that, the.
Speaker 1: Folks, I think at the folks at home.
Speaker 3: I think Brock is fantastic at weighing in on these things, and I think that the folks at home deserve a tiebreaker because I think if they're listening to him and they're saying he's.
Speaker 2: So good, I don't disagree he's so good.
Speaker 1: He's so good.
Speaker 3: I just want them to know that we did what we could. And this has been something that we haven't quite employed yet because we've had a couple near missive and not near miss, but near near things. So I just wanted to do it. Let's do it as a as a an experimentation.
Speaker 2: No, I have no problem with that whatsoever. I really don't. Paul is administered so good. Yeah, I'll set it up.
Speaker 1: I'll even be honest with him.
Speaker 3: I don't know what I would say to him though, as as a sort of a helper in this moment.
Speaker 1: Do you have any idea how I could help him, Like.
Speaker 2: Well, let's bring him in and let's talk to him and we'll say we're going to a tiebreaker challenge here. Okay, yeah, all right.
Speaker 1: I wonder if they should pick the number.
Speaker 2: They're gonna But now here we go. All right, Hey, Paul, how are you.
Speaker 7: Patiently waiting?
Speaker 2: I know exactly all right. So here's the thing. We're going to be completely and totally honest with you.
Speaker 13: All right.
Speaker 2: We love your voice, We absolutely love your voice. You're a good actor. You've made some interesting choices. Your fellow contestant is a very strong actor as well. For the first time ever, we're going into something that Christie created as we were creating the show, which is we're going to go to a tiebreaker. Okay, okay, Christy created the tongue Twister tiebreaker challenge.
Speaker 7: Okay, So we.
Speaker 2: Are going to be creating the character for you. Well, Brock is going to be creating a character for you, just like we did. And then you are going to pick a number between one and five, and you are going to decide your own fate just like D and D. My friend, it's gonna be on the it's gonna be it's going to be for you to roll the dice. So here's what I would say to you, and then I'm going to throw it to my fellow a to caters again, you can't teach the voice you have it's phenomenal. We were talking about how I want I want you to narrate every book that I read. I want you to sell products. It's wonderful. Your acting's good, but some of the choices you make, some sometimes come off as maybe a little slow. So it's the cadence can be a little drawn out, and so your fellow contestant is a little more fluid. That being said, your voice is so good that we want to go to a tiebreaker to see what happens from there. Okay, okay, so I want to see you.
Speaker 3: I want to see you really good, like have fun with it in a way that doesn't feel so yeah, I want you to have fun with whatever this is. And I do think that the tongue twister is meant to do that, is meant to sort of shock you into being Okay, I'm gonna have fun with this, rather than get don't. I would warn you not to get stuck on the words. And these are also not like horrible tongue twisters.
Speaker 2: They're just a pretty horrible So no, no, no, If they're gonna choose one, they're gonna choose one each and they get to pick themselves. But first we're gonna pick your character for you like we normally would, And by we I mean Brock.
Speaker 1: Paul, You've never done this too.
Speaker 2: This is the first time, this is the first time it's ever come down this to this. So, Brock, if you would please one more time, a number between one and six.
Speaker 4: Okay, let's see one that we haven't done yet, one and six.
Speaker 3: Uh yeah, with him, you've done a lot of higher numbers, and you've done number one, and you've done one for him.
Speaker 2: Okay, so let's do two o two, all right? Now, number between one and twelve?
Speaker 6: Let's do three?
Speaker 1: I think we've done. Did we do that for him? Right now?
Speaker 2: Actually? You know what, why don't we stop this? I'm gonna stop this right now? Yeah, if we're gonna do if we're gonna do a tiebreaker challenge, why don't we not let fate decide? Why don't we, as judges picked the best possible character we can for.
Speaker 6: I would love to do that.
Speaker 2: Give Paul his best opportunity to do that. So would we all agree that it's a bigger character it is.
Speaker 1: It's either one or two, giant or big.
Speaker 2: Okay, So Paul, you're either giant or big size wise, okay, right, why don't we say something like a number? What a racehorse?
Speaker 1: A dog, dog or a racehorse?
Speaker 2: A robot works? We could do robot again, we could do alien. What about alien?
Speaker 1: Like that for him?
Speaker 6: I know I would do racehorse?
Speaker 2: Racehorse? Okay, you're a big racehorse. Let's keep it in your wheelhouse. You're thirty years old. You want to do sixty? Say thirty? Keep keep a natural register? Okay, uh, thirty because we heard we heard kind of gandolf, so we heard like a little older, which is nice.
Speaker 1: And do you do do you do accents?
Speaker 7: Yes? Yes I do?
Speaker 2: What's your favorite one? You prefer British, Scottish?
Speaker 8: German?
Speaker 4: You do Southern?
Speaker 6: Is there Southern?
Speaker 4: On there?
Speaker 2: No? No, but we can again. We want to get Paul the best opportunity.
Speaker 7: We'll let you create your character. Let's go with Southern.
Speaker 2: Sure, Southern. Okay, you are a big Southern racehorse who is between thirty and sixty years old. Your choice, and now here you go, Paul, if you would please a number between one and five, have fun with it.
Speaker 7: Let's go with five.
Speaker 4: Okay.
Speaker 7: I don't like that reaction.
Speaker 2: We will write it up in the chat for you. But your tongue, twister is I wish to wash my Irish wristwatch. Okay, and so as a Southern big race horse. All right, all right, ready, mm hmmm, at your pleasure.
Speaker 9: I wish to wash myris wistwatch.
Speaker 7: Wish to wash my wrist watch.
Speaker 2: Thank you so much, Paul. We're not even gonna do notes this round. Everybody's gonna get a couple of times. Appreciate that. We'll be right back with you.
Speaker 13: Thank you.
Speaker 2: That was pretty good. That was pretty good.
Speaker 1: He's yeah, he's got spirit.
Speaker 7: All right.
Speaker 2: Let's just go right into he did have fun with that. Let's go right into Haley. Yeah, Hey, Haley, are you did you actually say hello? Are you muted?
Speaker 9: I did? Actually my microphone just has a I guess.
Speaker 2: Okay, So we're we're playing the honesty game today. Okay.
Speaker 9: That's always a good game.
Speaker 2: It's a good game to play.
Speaker 4: Everybody win everybody.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we wish this particularly. I wish your fellow contestant. You and your fellow contestant are both phenomenal. You really are this week. He has an amazing voice. You have an incredible voice. The spirit, it's everything for both of you, is really good. We want to make sure you both have an opportunity. So for the first time ever, we have gone to what Christy has invented before we've started this game and we've never used before, which is the tongue twister tiebreaker challenge. Oh no, yes, So we are going to essentially let We're gonna help, but we're going to essentially let you kind of pick your character with some parameters, okay, and then we are going to have you pick a number between one and five, which will then give you your tongue twister and you can say it then a couple times, and then we're going to make our decision. Okay, Okay, So, uh, is there a size kind of creature that you would want to do?
Speaker 10: I mean, I feel like I haven't really lent into I haven't really lent into any of the like sizes, particularly if I'm honest this past. Okay, So either one of the extremes, either either something really big or really small. Probably either one.
Speaker 2: Let's do really big, you know, let's see, let's try that. And then is there a specific type of creature you would like to be Let's do for instance, I'm just gonna I'm gonna flat out tell you some of the other ones that haven't been picked. Nobody. Nobody picked teddy Bear, nobody picked merr person. Okay, we've done there, a bug, a flower, a fish, an alien. We've done with you. But is there one that we've done?
Speaker 9: A robot?
Speaker 10: Have we done the robot yet?
Speaker 2: I don't think you did the robot? Would you like to be sure?
Speaker 10: Let's go if we're doing tongue twister, I'm just trying to kick myself out and do something that might that's fair.
Speaker 2: You're a big lit robot. How about an age? Uh, you know what, No, I'm going to pick an age for you. You seem to have been doing a lot of the younger ages. Let's go older. Okay, so let's go between you know, sixty and ancient. Ohkury sounds good. And now how about an attribute? Is there something that you have not showcased yet that you'd like to a different dialect or something else you'd like to do, something that's in your real house.
Speaker 1: Let's see.
Speaker 10: But like a I haven't done I mean, I feel like I've only just done accents, so I should maybe do one of the other ones if to.
Speaker 2: Be fair, right, good call. So let's see something like hypothermic.
Speaker 1: You just the lottery, just lost the love of your life.
Speaker 10: Oh, that's kind of funny. Let's do a sad robot. Okay, perfect, Let's do a big saddle rod. That's a great battle before.
Speaker 2: You're a big saddle robot. Who's between sixty and ancient? And now to pick your own fate, Haley, a number between one and five.
Speaker 10: I think, considering I have so many tattoos of the number three, I think it would be wrong with me to not choose three.
Speaker 2: Three is fine. We will write it up in the chat. But it is a very classic How much Wood would would chuck chuck? If it would chuck? Could chuck?
Speaker 4: Would?
Speaker 2: Oh?
Speaker 1: Classy?
Speaker 11: Yeah, a big robot?
Speaker 1: Are you ready as as I'll everbee?
Speaker 2: All right, Haley, We're just we're gonna stay silent if you want to do it a couple times in a row.
Speaker 1: Just straight through, no notes.
Speaker 2: We're not going to give anybody any notes, and we will go from there, so at your pleasure.
Speaker 9: Oh much, would would I would chock chock?
Speaker 1: If I would chock?
Speaker 4: What?
Speaker 9: Sure?
Speaker 6: What?
Speaker 3: H m hm hm hm.
Speaker 9: Oh much Wood would would chock chock?
Speaker 2: What?
Speaker 9: Shock?
Speaker 4: Shock?
Speaker 2: Thank you very much, Thank you all right, we'll be right back with you.
Speaker 4: I mean, Brock, Well, the adjudicator does believe there's a clear there's a clear winner here. I thought Paul did an amazing job throughout. We obviously all had kind of the same concerns and things that we were hoping we could hear that fluidity, that connectiveness, and Paul can act. And I think it just really highlights that the instruments not enough on its own. But to me, the clear winner is Haley. You have the range, you had.
Speaker 6: Surprising choices, risk taking, direct ability.
Speaker 4: And kind of everything I'm looking for when I'm working with another actor and the kind of actor I always try to want to be.
Speaker 6: Really Brock.
Speaker 1: You have the instrument.
Speaker 3: You know, Brock has the instrument when it comes to Brock for those of you listening at home, he can and be all the characters and that you've never even thought of. And so if somebody who has an instrument knows that directability is so much, so important, then I'm going to defer to to Haley being the winner.
Speaker 2: I don't disagree. I think I think Paul is phenomenal. He's got a great voice. I think uh he will work. I think he's he's got to work a little bit on that. But she could, she could get into a booth today, and that's and that's the thing. Yeah, Yeah, she could step into a booth today. She really could. So I I I'm glad we did the tiebreaker challenge. I think it was necessary. I wanted to give Paul as much of an opportunity as possible because you can't teach that voice. I mean you can't, and hopefully for him, right.
Speaker 4: A full fair shot he did.
Speaker 2: So we're all in agreement. Then let's let's bring in Paul, unfortunately and give him the bad news. Not it?
Speaker 1: Not it?
Speaker 2: Hey, Paul, how are you good? So, first of all, congratulations I'm making the top sixteen and for making the first ever tiebreaker challenge. This was really really hard for us. It really was, still is it still is. We are on the fence about this one for a lot of reasons. Your voice is just phenomenal. We really love it. Unfortunately, this is as far as you're going to go in the contest. But man, please don't stop, because you know somebody's going to hear this, some agent somewhere, somebody's going to hear this and say I have to sign that voice. This is why we needed the tiebreaker challenge. We've been going back and forth, back and forth. Your voice is just so good, you can act, and it's we think this guy's the limit. We really do. It's just I don't even know what else to say. This has been so tough on us because from the second you came on and said Hi, I'm Paul, we were like, oh, man, like, it's just great. So yeah, rock you have anything you want to say?
Speaker 6: Yeah, all good things.
Speaker 4: Your voice puts you into competition and similar tones with David k and Chris Parnell.
Speaker 2: And Travis and Travis William.
Speaker 4: Travis, that's what answered Travis William.
Speaker 2: Your gand off. The second you started gandoff, I was like, that's Travis. It sounds like Travis. So yeah, it was great.
Speaker 4: So we just want to get We just want to encourage you to continue again. One of the piece of advice I always give that was given to me is don't let anyone tell you now and be so be so good they can't deny you you are great. Micro adjustments might be some of the connectedness and texts. Some improv would maybe be really helpful because improv helps you with those backgrounds of being able to Okay, great, I'm a ham Sandwich and I'm saying you you have the instincts. I just want to hear you begin to trust them even more. So I wish you all the best of luck, and I know I'm going to hear you again something well then.
Speaker 3: Chris, I I am sad, you know, I just I believe in your talent. And you know this is hard for us. You know, we're we're new to this. We're usually the ones that are in your position, Paul, and so you know we love you and we want you to continue to you know, keep going because you know we're hoping actually, and we're telling people that are listening to this episode, like if you are an agent or manager, you have to rep him.
Speaker 1: He is ready to go.
Speaker 3: And yeah, we we really support you and love you, and we we we hope.
Speaker 1: The best for you.
Speaker 7: Thank you all very much. This has just been a fantastic opportunity. Thank you all.
Speaker 2: Well, it won't be your last, that is absolutely for certain, and we will be working together sometime in the future. All I guarantee you'll see all of us look forward to it. So thank you so much for joining us.
Speaker 6: Paul, thank you.
Speaker 2: Oh I hate that so much. The yeah, let's bring in Haley and make her feel bad too. Oh no, it's fun parts fun. Yeah, I just don't want to tell her that. Oh hey, hi, Hi, Hi, it's this has been such a tough episode for us. I mean really has just been the toughest episode for us. So we've been going back and forth and we came to the tiebreaker challenge and your fellow contestant, his voice was just so phenomenal. I mean, it's like you heard it. It was like butter yeah, but you're going to be moving on to the next round. Yeah, yeah. Seriously, he was great and it was very very tough take out, but you did.
Speaker 1: He does the fake out.
Speaker 2: I know, I get a little bit of joy well after, you know, again talking to him, and it hurts so much, so.
Speaker 9: I can imagine it.
Speaker 3: Really, we're going to be an Austin Comic con, so you can you can kick him in the shin.
Speaker 1: You can come and kick him in the shin.
Speaker 4: Okay, you guys send me a video from Austin.
Speaker 6: We'll send a little Carboro cutout.
Speaker 2: Good wait is it?
Speaker 1: I feel like I need to go get tickets right now.
Speaker 2: I have no idea we find well find out. My congratulations you certainly deserved it was that a Is that a D twenty on your chair?
Speaker 9: I make, I make dice. This is my like maker.
Speaker 2: And there you go, yeah, there you go. Nice. Yeah, So that's congratulations. You're moving on to the next round. So you are in the Elite eight trademark and we will see you next episode. This was really a tough one for us. This was really really a tough one for us.
Speaker 14: Thank you.
Speaker 2: So you certainly earned it. But the competition is getting very very steep. So congratulations and prepare yourself for.
Speaker 4: The next round. We'll do.
Speaker 2: Thank you, all right, Thank you, Haley, Bye bye?
Speaker 1: Do I leave?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 7: I leave?
Speaker 1: Is so crazy?
Speaker 2: Wow, that was fun. Well, it's nice to make somebody's day and I hate doing that, especially some of like Paul.
Speaker 10: It is just so good.
Speaker 2: Oh that one hurt.
Speaker 4: You know. Rejection is part of it, and I think it only just helps iron sharp AND's iron I think every no is just honestly is just redirection to the next Yes, So I think that's a great way.
Speaker 1: I mean, it is a business.
Speaker 3: This business is not an easy business, and the rejection has to be something that you can stomach.
Speaker 1: And honestly, you're right.
Speaker 3: I think like if that's if that's going to deter any one of these any one of these amazing contestants that we have, then then then you know this is not.
Speaker 1: Necessarily the and I don't think it will want to dedicate themselves to.
Speaker 2: I don't think it will deter Paul. I think he's going to use it.
Speaker 3: I don't think so either to couple people that I feel like might actually hang it up.
Speaker 1: But he's not one.
Speaker 2: He's gonna he's gonna go Brock.
Speaker 1: Thank you so much.
Speaker 3: You were a fantastic, fantastic adjudicator.
Speaker 2: We really appreciate it both so much.
Speaker 4: This is just such a joy, and obviously you know we all love this so much. It's just this was just such a blast. So they thank you, thank you both so much.
Speaker 2: Of course, we are so happy to have you. Thank you for joining us, and hopefully we'll be able to see you again soon.
Speaker 4: Okay, I'll see all soon, Bye bye.
Speaker 2: Well, thank you everybody once again for joining us. Christy had to hop off because you know, she's super important and does a lot of super cool things. But I am wrapping up what turned out to be just such a difficult episode of the contest, the Super Awesome Contest to become the next Big Voice Actor is emotionally draining because man Paul was so good and we had to say goodbye to him. So the competition is getting a lot stiffer and a lot more difficult. But Haley is moving on and rightfully so, and the Elite eight. I think we all have one week left and then the Elite Eight is finished, so we are definitely getting there. Once again. Thank you to everybody who has helped made this happen, including all of our friends over there at Prime Video Critical Role CESD. iHeart everybody who has just stepped up and said, hey, go do your contest and find the next awesome voice actor, and that's what we are doing. So thank you all again for joining us. We will do this one more time next week, and then we're moving on to a brand new game with all these same contestants that have made it to the next round. The games are going to get more difficult, the contest is going to get tighter. It is just getting crazy and crazy and crazy. So I'm so excited you're all here on this journey with us. Thank you again so much, Christy. I love you. I hope you're out there having fun and I will see you all next week, or at least you know, hear you all next week, or you'll hear me. I don't know now, I'm just rambling. I have the flu anyway. As I always like to say, if you think you have what it takes to step up to the microphone, then put your voices where your mouth is. Thanks everybody. I Hear Voices is hosted by Wilfredell and Christy Carlson Romano. Executive produced by will Fredell, Brendan Rooney, Amy Sugarman. Our executive in charge of production is Danielle Romo, Our producer is Lorraine Viriuez, and our editor slash engineer is Brian Burton. And that was my announcer voice.
Speaker 17: Some side effects of listening to I Hear Voices are sore abs from hilarity, falling down the cocoa melon rabbit hole, sneezing due to mass nostalgia, and hugs.
Speaker 2: Follow I Hear Voices wherever you listen to podcasts, so you don't miss any of the amazing voices, be.
Speaker 17: Sure to follow us on it Instagram and TikTok At I Hear Voices podcast.
Speaker 2: You can also check us out on MySpace, omegle Vine, LimeWire, Hey I'm a napster.
Speaker 17: Okay, well let's teach you about the Internet.
Speaker 4: The