Speaker 1: But obviously CJ he to all start first half, and I just want to see, you know, can he turn that into a full seasons worth of production. But I think obviously, you know, as you're getting just getting ad justed as a young player, it takes some time to figure out how teams are pitching you.
Speaker 2: Here we go. Andrew Golden writes for The Washington Post, joins us right now for the first time on FT to review the Washington Nationals coming up for the twenty twenty five season. Andrew, great to have you on here for the first time. Appreciate you, stop and buy. How you doing good?
Speaker 3: How y'all doing I'm looking forward to talking with you guys. I'm excited.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's too. Let's rip through this all right, So let's hit the storylines and we'll jump right into what we want to get into with the Nats and then some bonus questions after that. Cool, here's your review twenty twenty five Washington Nationals storylines. That the huest homers in the NL in twenty twenty four, they had a little thump.
Speaker 3: Is it enough?
Speaker 2: Especially with the core that they'll have for a full season now too? Like James Wood and Dylan Cruz next step for the core like c J Abrams, James Wood and Dylan Cruz. We'll get to that and bullpen questions. No, Kyle Finnegan, not a ton of work. Actually, some other subtractions we can get into as well this offseason. Are we okay with that? And the NL Beast three really really good teams that they're looking at as competition in the division.
Speaker 3: All right, So let's start at the top.
Speaker 2: This team didn't have enough pop last year, and we thought they should have gone after Pete Linz or at least I'll speak for me and Kratz agrees. I know Prazinski agrees. I'm sure Todd Father agrees as well. But what did you think of what they did this offseason to put the offense in a better chance to thump?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 3: I think that was the big question.
Speaker 1: It's been the big question for the past couple of all seasons, is how can they add more power their lineup? They sign a lot of guys to one year deals, but what they sign a guy to a longer term deal to kind of get some more thump. It's their lineup. Pete Longso was a guy that was kind of interesting. I also was kind of into a Christian Walker too, and that was another guy I kind of liked.
Speaker 3: But I think they did a good job in.
Speaker 1: Terms of training for Nathaniel Lowe adding Josh Bell, and as you guys mentioned, they're kind of hoping for improvements from James Wind Dylan Cruz to kind of add some power there. But I think they did a good job overall. Like I think Josh Bell depends on which Josh Bell you're getting. Obviously he could be kind of streaky. If you're getting the Josh Bell that he was when he was last in DC, that's a really really good player. Nathaniel low obviously when he was with the Rangers two years ago, I think twenty six horns, I want to say twenty seven. He said he wants to get back to this offseason, and so I think they'll definitely increase their power just just with those guys alone.
Speaker 5: Very nice. Now let's talk about the young core right here for the National c j Abrams had an All Star year marred by basically the suspension as we know, and you know it was a rough second half. Now talking about James Wood and Dylan Cruise, are these guys gonna step up here? They just got their feet wet a little bit. Talk a little about the you know, the young guys coming up.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm excited to see what they all can do, especially James and Dill. And I think the two of them are definitely getting their feet with last year. You looked at James like he was kind of getting feel for what the big leagues were like, and you still produced at the high level. And then Dylan had that final month to kind of get his feet wet as well. He showed you could really hit fast ball as well, struggle with breaking balls a little bit. So I'm interested to see how he adjusts there. And James to the ball on the ground a little bit more last year, so I'm kind of interested to.
Speaker 3: See how he adjusts.
Speaker 1: And they obviously CJ he'd an all start first half, and I just want to see, you know, can he turn that into a full season's worth of production. But I think obviously, you know, as you're getting just getting adjusted as a young player, it takes some time to figure out how teams are pitching you and kind of how you adapt and adjust.
Speaker 3: I'm expecting a big year for all those three, especially CJ. This is his third.
Speaker 1: Full season with the Nationals, and so I'm expecting a big year for him.
Speaker 4: The that's non tendered, they're all star closer Cal Finnigan. Now there's names, there's names like recently signed or Helo pet and Jose Ferrera. Where's this closing innings gonna come from?
Speaker 3: Because it's a huge part of a bullpen. Yeah.
Speaker 1: So they just signed Colin Proche to a minor league deal this morning, so I think that will definitely help. But yeah, Kyle, I think it was interesting, right, Like, I think there was a question of do you sign him to eight nine million dollars to be your closer or do you reallocate those resources for free agents.
Speaker 3: I think they decided to do that.
Speaker 1: I think the big question was if they knew they were going to non tender Kyle, why not trade him at the deadline?
Speaker 3: That was my big question.
Speaker 1: But I think they're just expecting their their young guys to kind of take a step forward. I look, Zach Brickse's a guy could take a step forward. They're getting Mason Thompson back from Tommy Johns. That might take some time. They have Derek Law who can definitely help on the back end. He was a late inning reliever last year, so they have some pieces, but they're definitely young. I think it's the big biggest question mark for them hanging to the season. So your guests as good as mine, mixtic kind of interesting to see how it all plays out, but I think Colin Poste and Jorge Lopez will definitely beat the back end.
Speaker 3: I think Jose Ferrero took a big step forward and other guys with to fill in.
Speaker 5: Now we got to talk about the team wise. Here they were fourteen and twenty five against the NL East gauntlet of a schedule. They're playing against some of the best teams Atlanta and New York Mets and the Braves. How are they going to do this year coming up knowing that they got to face these guys again with the guys that they picked up, how will they how will they do against this team and how will they stack up in the NL East.
Speaker 1: That's kind of the big question right when I look at their offseason, I think they've actually had a really good offseason, but can they kind of compete against the guys? Actually last year against the Braves, they had a wing record against the Braves and performed pretty well, So it's mainly the Mets and the Phillies, who have both gotten better, and the Braves are obviously gonna be the Braves, and so I'm interested to see, like can they hit and kit for enough power to kind of compete with some of those teams.
Speaker 3: I'm not really sure. Like I think the Mets got better.
Speaker 1: I think the Phillies are just as good, not bad than they were last year, And the Braves are the same thing. And so I think they can serve because they prove they can compete against the Braves. But I don't know about the Phillies and the Mets and the Brazs. Obviously as they get stridered back. They obviously still Chris Sale. They obviously have that great lineup, and so we'll see if they can replicate that again like they did last year.
Speaker 4: So ownership holding this team back is ownership holding the team back from like really pursuing, like we said, like that Alex Bragman, that kind of Jason Worth from two thousand and eleven or twenty twelve type of contract with Pete Alonzo, that type of thing.
Speaker 1: I think they're definitely were some talks that they're limited in terms of what they was spent maybe compared to a decade to go, and so I think there are some limitations there in terms of how much they're willing to spend. I also know that Mike Rizzo also talks about not wanting to hand out contracts. They guys are qualifying offers because they really care a lot about their draft picks, especially restocking their farm system. But I definitely agree that I think that it's going to be harder for them to to compete if they are't willing to spend the way they were a decade to go. I think given the mass and the hold up and all those different things, I think there are some limitations in terms of how much they can spend.
Speaker 4: Does it revolve around the possibility of the team being sold? I know, the whole mass and stuff, the whole masson stuff's been going on for longer than you've been alive, Andrew, Like that stuff's been ever since there was a Nationals there. You know, there wasn't an Andrew Golden Now there's you know, no more massive issue. But the sale. Do you feel like some of the possibility of it being sold?
Speaker 1: I know my colleague Barriers for Luga wrote a couple of weeks ago that Ted le Jones was kind of the front runner, but he hadn't made an offer this offseason. But I think that's kind of going to be lingering over the team. And I think there'll always be a question right like are they waiting for the right price?
Speaker 3: Will they get the right prices?
Speaker 1: I think that also is always gonna be lingering over and definitely a question of will they sell the team, will they get the right price?
Speaker 3: But for now they're not.
Speaker 1: They're going to operate if they still have the team, and you know, it's a matter of are they willing to make the financial investments necessary to take this team the next level?
Speaker 2: Andrew run more free. From my side, how are we feeling about third base for the team short term and long term? It seems like they're trying to leave a little bit of a lane long term for Brady House. I'm okay with that, but on the short term it's disappointing because I feel like this team could have made more of a surprise as a contender in the National League for a wild card spot if the lineup looked a little more whole. I like parts of it in the top half, but I mean, you tell me, right, Now for the projected lineup pose EIGHTEENA. Is there is that good enough for a playoff team.
Speaker 3: No.
Speaker 1: I think Jose ten or Trey Lipscomb, I think are the two options for third base. But I think the key for them is they don't want to block prospects, and they've repeated that a handful of times this offseason, and so I think Brady's gonna get every chance to try to get that if he can perform well.
Speaker 3: Another guy like is Kayden Wallace.
Speaker 1: They traded him or they acquired him in the Hunter Harvey trade last year, and he's a guy they like.
Speaker 3: We haven't really seen him because he was injured.
Speaker 1: Hit a rib injury and they didn't play in the Arison the Fall League, and so those are two guys who I think could be third base prospects. He just a matter of if how do they perform this year. I think Brady House has some questions. I seen him drop all some prospect list was kind of interesting. Maybe that's prospect fatigue, maybe that is legitimate questions. But I think they want to give Brady every opportunity to be the third base in the future, but he has to perform, and so I'm interested to see how that plays out. Does Brady take the step forward? Maybe just Kaden Walls take the step forward. But I definitely think it's a question. But they don't want to block any prospects, and so they're leaving it open.
Speaker 2: Okay, we'll see. I mean depth is important, and yeah, House, you know, I don't know enough to make a comment yet. I haven't seen enough of him. I do know I had a down year, so that's probably why he fell off some list, or at least.
Speaker 3: He's also a young drop. I think it's I think it's like twenty one.
Speaker 1: He's young, so maybe give us some time, you know, but it is interesting, it's interesting for sure.
Speaker 3: That is fair. That is fair.
Speaker 2: I think you are too right your early twenties.
Speaker 3: I'm twenty five, twenty five, not as young as Brady. There you go, there you go, probly great world. Also exactly exactly well.
Speaker 2: When I was twenty five, I looked twelve, and social media let me know about it almost every day when I was on television, so the beard definitely helped. I wasn't allowed to do that back then. But Andrew, great job, great to have you on here. Man, Really appreciate the time. We'll do it again. We'll have you on during the season and we'll talk soon.
Speaker 3: Sounds good man, Thanks for having me on.