Speaker 1: This episode is brought to you by All State. Some people just know they could save hundreds on car insurance by checking all State first. Like you know to check the date of the Big Game first before you accidentally buy tickets on your twentieth wedding anniversary and have to spend the next twenty years of your marriage making up for it. Yeah, checking first is smart, So check all State first for a quote that could save you hundreds. You're in good hands with All States Savings. Ferry terms apply All State Fire and Casualty Insurance Company and Affiliates, Northbrook, Illinois.
Speaker 2: This episode is brought to you by Unstoppable. Discover the inspiring true story about Anthony Roebliss, who defined every expectation to become a national wrestling champion and Unstoppable, a new original movie from Amazon MGM Studios and director William Goldenberg. Evoking the excitement and camaraderie of classic sports dramas and thrilling wrestling matches. Unstoppable features an all star ensemble cast including Jirelle Jerome, Jennifer Lopez, Don Cheadle, Michael Pania, and Bobby Knavali. Watch Unstoppable now exclusively on Amazon Prime Video.
Speaker 3: Welcome in episode forty one of What's Right with Nick Wright, the podcast and YouTube show. We really appreciate you guys subscribing and rating and reviewing the show on all platforms. Today's show is going to be a little different. We have some very serious topics to discuss with the Deshaun Watson news coming down a few hours before we recorded. We have a very somber topic to discuss right off the top of the show with the passing of Bill Russell, and we have what is unquestionably going to be the single greatest moment up to this point of One Demons Bird's life. Having won a ten thousand dollars wager from me that has to be paid in cash in full before the end of today's show, there is one slight problem. I do not have the ten thousand dollars in full on me. However, don't give me that.
Speaker 4: Look, you don't have it.
Speaker 3: I don't have Listen, we will decius, we will get to that before the end of the show. I have a solid amount of money in my pocket. Okay, I promise before the end of today's show you will hold more money than you've ever held at one point in time. It's not the full ten thousand, though. We'll explain and we'll see what you think the proper remedies are. Okay, okay, all right, so we'll get to that. We're gonna talk about regular sports stuff. We'll do all our regular show. However, we can't really do the actual regular show because we need to start with this. So before we even get to what we're not getting into or our regular a bloc, I of course want to talk about Bill Russell, not only the greatest winner in the history of sports, but a true civil rights icon who passed away Sunday at the age of eighty eight. So the Bill Russell off the court life is a remarkable one. The first black head coach in major American sports man, who was born in the thirties in Louisiana, moved north and dealt with racism and bigotry and attacks every step of the way. A man who I think not coincidentally, after his time in Boston and some of this stuff, demands say, I'm sure, and this is no shade here, you're unaware of it. While he was winning championships in Boston, he had his house broken into, they broke his trophies, They in his bed. They when he would go on the road, he had his his daughter wrote about how he would have his garbage cans every single time tipped over, and that he went to the police and said this has to stop, and the cops like, must be raccoons, and so he said, okay, then I want a gun permit. And then all of a sudden it stopped, and not coincidentally, I don't think Bill Russell then moved, I think, to the geographic opposite of Boston. He moved to an island off the coast of Seattle called Mercer Island. You could not get further away from Boston. And then he lived and he lived there for the better part of forty years. And he talked about how he you know, he played for his teammates his coach were at Arbach, but not for the fans. And listen, there is a tortured history in a lot of cities, but famously Boston, of their relationship with their black stars. Bob Coosey was a great player, Havlichek was a great player, Larry Bird was a great player. None of them were as great as Russell was. Yet there is to this day real questions about who the greatest Celtic was and that had to do with the fact that Bill Russell was a black man, a proud black man, and march right alongside Ali and King in the Civil Rights movie. And when Bill Russell, you know, was getting death threats and the family asked the FBI to help, what the FBI did was open a file on him that referred to him as an arrogant negro who would not sign autographs for white children. That's how the country, the city of Boston, the country as a whole, treated Bill Russell. Okay, So that is the very very short version of Bill Russell the activist. Bill Russell off the court. And by the way, Bill Russell signed up for Twitter in his eighties to send out a tweet supporting Colin Kaepernick. He never his first sweet ever was him kneeling. He never stopped the activism. I don't want to gloss over that, but all so, as interested and educated as I am on that part of his life, there are other people in longer form that can pay a better tribute to that. So I would like to for a moment here talk about Bill Russell the basketball player, because I think people know eight titles in a row. They know, eleven championships in thirteen years. I still think it under sells how utterly dominant he was. One of the reasons I did my list the way I did it, the fifty best of the last fifty is not only because you can't get film and you can barely get fully accurate full box scores of those games in the late fifties and throughout the sixties, but also because Bill Russell causes a problem for any ranking, because if we agree the goal of team sports is to win, then what do you do with a guy who lapped the field a couple times over when it comes to winning. And it wasn't just the eleven championships, it's that he never lost a do or die game in his basketball life. You hear this stat thrown around, but I want to emphasize it. Then we will go through the Bill Russell basketball life quickly and then move on to the show Bill Russell in the NCAA Tournament, in the Olympics and in Game sevens of the NBA or Door Die Game fives of the NBA. In this five game series played twenty one games where the winner advances and the loser goes home. College Olympics and the Pros. His teams were twenty one and zero in those twenty one games. He got to the University of San Francisco and within a year Sports Illustrated wrote an article saying that college basketball might have to change the rules because of him, and they did. A year later, they widened the lane to try to minimize his defensive impact. He then went on a fifty five game collegiate winning streak, winning two national championships. He then won the goal in the Olympics. He then gets to Boston and this is where we're going too, similar to how we have on our NBA list, go year by year, but I will do it quickly. Built this Boston Celtics had Bob Goozi already. He was about to win League MVP. They had never made a finals. They made the finals the first ten years of Russell's career. They made the finals twelve of the thirteen years he played. So his very first year in the league Game seven NBA Finals against the at that moment best player in basketball, Bob Pettitt, he has nineteen points and thirty two rebounds in a two point double overtime win. The next year, they are playing Pettit in the finals again, Russell springs his ankle Missus game four, Missus Game five, is a shell of himself, barely plays. In game six, Pettitt hangs fifty on him and Russell. If you listen to Bill Simmons, still bitter about that, says I was injured, So how did you respond? Only won eight championships in a row. But what's amazing about when you hear eight titles in a row? You think, oh my god, they were just far and away better than everyone. But the thing is they weren't. They were close games in seven game series fifty nine to get to the finals. They're in a game seven against Syracuse and my old landlord in college. Believe it or not, well, dlphshas whose son Danny shaves people maybe remember, Probably not Dahlsha's a great player. Russell beats him by five in a game seven. Then they sweep the Minneapolis Lakers, and Mike is Mike and still on that Lakers team. I think he is. I gotta double check that they sweep the Oh you know, Miken's not sowing the Lakers, see my apologies, but Elgin Baylor is. And they sweep them to win the title. That's Championship number two. The next year, he beats Wilt in the to get to the conference finals or to get to the finals, and then in the NBA Finals plays Bob Pettitt again a game seven, has a twenty two point thirty five rebound game to win title number three. The very next year, he's in the finals against Bob Pettitt again. This one doesn't go seven in five, they win. He has a thirty point thirty eight rebound game to win ring number four. The very next year, he plays Wilt in a game seven to get to the finals, beats them by two. In the finals, plays Jerry West. It's a game seven. That game seven goes to overtime. Russell plays all fifty three minutes, has thirty points and forty rebounds to.
Speaker 4: Reach These rebulds are crazy.
Speaker 3: They played a super fast paced and missed a lot of shots. They're still insane. That's ring number five. The very next year, there's another game seven to get to the finals. This is against Oscar Robertson in Cincinnati. He of course wins with a twenty and twenty four and then they win the title against the Lakers. Poor Jerry West at this time in six. That is ring number six. That is five in a row. The next year, it's nice and easy. They win the title in five. That's ring number six. The very next year, they're playing Philadelphia. It's a game seven. Philadelphia, of course has Wilt Chamberlain. Russell wins that game seven to get to the finals by one point, playing all forty eight minutes against Wilt and holding Wilt if you will, to thirty, which back in the day, holding Wilt to thirty is a hell of an accomplishment. They then beat the Lakers again, poor Lakers in the finals. He has a twenty and thirty to win that title. I've lost track. I think that's rings seven and six in a row. The very next year, they have an easy one. They win the title. Oh no, they get to the title easily. But another game seven, another game against the Lakers, another time Jerry West is so close. They win Game seven by two points. He has twenty five points and thirty two rebounds. That is I want to make sure I have this right. That is title. That is title number nine. No, maybe maybe I'm confused. I've lost track at this point. That is yeah, that is that is title number nine eight in a row. The next year they lose before the finals, will and the Sixers get them in the conference finals. So you know what happens. He becomes player coach and they win two more rings. How do they win those two more rings? They beat Bought, They beat Philly in a game seven by four points, and then to get to the finals, and then they beat the Lakers and six and then his final year in the league, in the final game, he'll ever play another game seven against the Los Angeles Lakers that they win by two. So the reason I say all that is it's not just that he won five MVPs and did all that winning. It's also it is impossible to look at how close those games were and the fact that he never came out on the short end of it and come to any conclusion other than he understood what it took for his team to win better than any athlete we've ever seen. So again, that was And by the way, his athletic career was not the most important part of his life. It was the off the court stuff. But on the court, pardon me ear muff, kids, that was a bad mother man. The guy came to college was a track star, learning basketball, and as soon as he picked it up a little bit, won two national championships, then an Olympic gold medal. Then in a thirteen year NBA career, made the finals twelve times, won eleven rings, and the one time he didn't win in the finals, he missed two and a half games with injury. An all time all timer by any measure, the great and incomparable Bill Russell. All right, so there's the Bill Russell portion of the show. Now to the regular show. That will not quite be a regular show, but we will do our best today. Here's what is not on today's show. What is not on did not make the cut for today's show is Pallo on Caro dropping fifty in a pro am these listen, I love the crossover like everybody else. That's Jamal Crawford's little pro am thing. Your guy up in Seattle. Crossover. Yeah, he spells it like his last name. He calls it the crossover. He puts it all in the tournament. But these, these these NBA guys playing in pro ams not that impressed, to be honest. He includes Lebron whatever he did at the Drew League. Draymond wants more money and a one point two eight billion dollar Mega Millions jackpot win.
Speaker 4: Not going to get like six hundred million though, I like seven hundred maybe only taxed out that it gets taxed like crazy.
Speaker 3: Yeah, So I mean, what's the point really if you're only having seven hundred million?
Speaker 4: No, no, no, no, I'm not one of those guys six hundred more.
Speaker 3: I mean, I mean you are kind of one of those guys, because but you're listen, I get it, you're feeling yourself. You're about to have ten thousand dollars in your pocket.
Speaker 4: You feel like seven Yeah, you're onto it.
Speaker 3: You might have had a little spoiler alert there. Okay, demons, all right now we must we must gain our bosure because we have another serious topic to discuss. The Deshaun Watson situation go ahead.
Speaker 4: An independent NFL Disciplinary officer, Judge Suo Robinson decided Deshaun Watson was guilty of violating the NFL Contact Policy yep, but she only called for a six game suspension YEPH. The NFLPA says the league should accept the independent ruling and move on without any appeals. But if you go strictly by Twitter reactions, yeah, it seems like six games isn't isn't enough? The commissioner could step in in the next three days and extend the time. Yep, should he?
Speaker 3: I think he should, and I think he will. So this is kind of We're gonna do an all encompass, all encompassing Dashaun Watson discussion here. First of all, I want to talk about where I think I have failed on this, and I don't think I'm the only one in the media, but I will speak for myself. I think one of the reason reasons there was not as much public outrage as there should have been when it comes to more than two dozen women accusing Deshaun Watson of some really heinous stuff is because it was so uncomfortable and awkward and embarrassing to discuss. I think a lot of us in the media, myself included, particularly on television, chose the path of least resistance, which is at let's talk about something else, Because if you are talking about some if you're talking about a guy masturbating ejaculating on women without their consent, you know, trying to force them or cajole them into sexual acts, and doing it repeatedly and repeatedly and repeatedly across more than two dozen women where you read that the Texans kind of had a set up for him where he had a club membership, and the all of it is so grotesque and so uncomfortable that it wasn't like, here's a video of someone committing an act of violence, we can all discuss it. So because of that, I don't think it got the general attention it deserved initially. So that's where I failed, And I you know, I don't think I'm the only one, but I'll speak for myself where I think I failed in regards to this. Now, as far as what is the appropriate punishment, I think I said on the show this show a long time ago that I don't think this is one you can split the baby on, And by that I mean I felt like the independent arbitrator, Judge Suel Robinson almost had to come down on zero games or a season plus years. Yeah, because it is very difficult for me to rationalize the idea of I believe you did this, and I believe you deserve less than one of the most punitive suspensions in NFL history. But it seems like that is exactly what she did. That and some of her quotes, according to Tom Pelisarrow.
Speaker 4: She was saying, like, hell, it wasn't violent.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I thought the whole Tom Pelisarrow reported on Twitter on Monday, and by the way, again, it's possible by the time you guys hear this, the NFL announces that it is appealing, and we'll talk about that process in a moment. But as of right now, the NFL has said nothing about this. There are some very very awkward and odd quotes from the judge. She says his pattern of behavior was egregious, but says the behavior was quote non violent sexual conduct.
Speaker 4: Well, guys like Calvin Ridley, I got a full season for making parlay bets while he wasn't even playing well.
Speaker 3: So and I want to get I want to get to the of course, and I want to get to that part in a moment, because that is a bit apples and oranges, but it's what people's brains are naturally going to go to. But I want to say I fundamentally disagree with what the judge said that this was nonviolent. Now. I just I feel like there are different forms of violence, and I feel like if someone.
Speaker 4: Is like emotional violence almost.
Speaker 3: Well, and I would say I believe the women in this case, and I want to talk more about that in a moment as well. I believe someone ejaculating on you without your consent is violent. I think that is a violent act. There's violence, is not always punching someone in the face. Now, I also want to say this, and this is again why I think people have been hesitant to discuss this on television or in short sound bites, because you don't want to be misquoted, you don't want to be partially quoted. So I believe it is incredibly important that our criminal justice system has a massively high burden of proof. That innocent until proven guilty remains the standard, and that reasonable doubt in order to clear that threshold, it needs to be as high of a bar as possible in order to cage a human being, in order to send someone to jail at a prison, in order to deny someone that they're liberty. I think that standard is what it should be. That does not mean that must be the standard for what I believe happened. And so whether or not I, on a jury, could convict to Sean Watson on any of these individual cases, it does not have to me much of anything to do with the fact that I believe, without a shadow of a doubt, that he is guilty of what many, if not all, of these women are accusing him. It is a logical impossibility that more than two dozen women, many of whom did not file a single lawsuit, had nothing to gain from this, would allege this behavior and have it what just be a massive conspiracy to what end, to what gain for the women, particularly who have no skin in the game when it comes to the lawsuit.
Speaker 4: He just also, he doesn't really seem to have like the demeanor of somebody that didn't do what he did. I've seen like conferences held and stuff, and it just kind of.
Speaker 3: The whole thing seems there is no part of me that's like he's innocent. There's no part of me. So again, my opinion is just my opinion on it. But I think anyone that follows this story, that reads the lawsuit, that reads the testimonials that Jenny Brintis has acquired those things, I find it impossible to come away with the conclusion Deshaun Watson was set up. Okay, So if we can acknowledge that he did at least some, if not all, of this, now we get to what demands was alluding to the others suspensions. So Miles Garrett got six games for an on field fight when he conked Mason Rudolph on the head with his own helmet. Michael Kendricks got eight games for insiders stock trading, right, Deshaun's former teammate DeAndre Hopkins got six games for a trace amount of peds in a system, and Calvin Ridley got a season for on a game he wasn't playing. Now, what some would say, and they would not be wrong, is the difference between certainly the DeAndre Hopkins PDS and the Calvin Ridley thing is those are black and white rules. If you test positive, you get this many games. If you bet on a game, you get this many games. I get that, but the optics of it are horrified.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Deshaun Watson's one is like a huge morality issue. Of course, nearly on the same level.
Speaker 3: Correct, And I would argue that if Deshaun Watson was caught on video punching one woman, he would have gotten at least this, if not more. The fact that it's not video, and so there is the question, I guess you could argue the question of did he do it or not? And in the court of public opinion, which I think is going to sway to he should get a longer suspension. However, there will be some folks who, well, how do I say this, I just say what I think. I'll just just be totally transparent with you.
Speaker 4: Guys.
Speaker 3: There are there are some men that will never believe women under any circumstances, that will just always be of the ah that that son of a gun setting them up. Right, there are another group of men that, or people, I should say, not just men, people that look at massage therapists as sex workers and nothing more and nothing less, and that Okay, yeah, these these women knew what they were signing up for and knew and I do understand that there are certain massage venues in America where sex work is part of what everyone is signing up for in that. But this this wasn't that. This was finding women on ig who say they're massuses and then putting them in positions that they did not want to be in. That's what I believe. And so now we get to what the NFL should do. Okay, I believe because of the optics, because the NFL wanted a year and only got six games. Because the judge didn't exactly split the middle. Deshaun's camp wanted zero, the NFL wanted a year. If maybe if the judge would have imposed eight or nine games, the NFL would have said, okay, you split the middle, will leave it alone. I think it is incumbent on the NFL to add to this suspension. And by the way the appeals process is it under the old CBA, there would be no judge suo Robinson, it would just be Goodell. Under the new CBA, there is the independent arbitrator, but then the appeals go to Goodell. So if Goodell in the League office decided they want to appeal, they're appealing to themselves. So there was then and then the only recourse to Shaun's camp would have is federal court. So that is what I think, And maybe by the time people hear this, I think this gets upped to eight or ten games. I don't think the I don't think I don't think the NFL is gonna do the full year, because then I think it sways in the other direction where it's like, well, you wanted a year. You went to this judge. The whole thing was you wanted the year to begin with, you have this independent arbitrator in place. She says six games, and now you're just gonna give him the full year. So the whole thing was a sham, right, But I think a year would have been totally fair. And I'm gonna say one other point.
Speaker 4: On this.
Speaker 3: If I'm in the league office. Part of my math on the penalty here is the fact that the Browns and Deshaun structured his contract in a way that baked in a suspension and made it so he would lose as little dollars as possible. So if people don't understand, when you're suspended, you lose that game check. Your game check is your salary divided by number of games. So it's a seventeen game season. If you make seventeen million, each game you make a million bucks. So if you're suspended six games, will lose six million on that salary. DeShawn this year is going to make forty six million dollars, but his salary is only seven hundred thousand of that. The rest is a signing bonus and roster bonus which cannot be clawed back due to suspension. So when you are he is going to lose less than three hundred thousand dollars as far as salary from all and that's intentional, and one can say that's a great job by his agent. So be it, however, that that is something. If I'm in the NFL, I'm not letting that stand.
Speaker 4: Right.
Speaker 3: I'm imposing some massive fine in addition to the suspension. And I think that's what they're going to do, because what they don't want is the New York Times push alert that I got this morning, which said Deshaun Watson, Brown's quarterback who was accused of sexual misconduct by twenty four women, suspended six games by the NFL. They don't want the average fan that's not locked into every day I think that, Oh Goodell said this for six games, the NFL wanted to spend him a year. Okay, all right, So there's the Deshaun piece we already did along Bill Russell. Peace. And now to one of Demons's favorite topics before we wrap up our kind of somewhat yeah less than regular a block. What's our last topic?
Speaker 4: Michelson was he was heckled at the live golf of in a few days ago. Someone shouted do it for the Royal Saudi fan. Wait on the Saudi Oroal fan for Saudi Royal f family. Yeah, before he t eat off, Trump was in attendance, but Charles Barkley backed out of it. I don't even like talking regular golf, but now we're talking off brand golf. Yeah, you demanded we put this on the show. Why.
Speaker 3: Okay, here's why I want to put this on the show. And by the way, if you love me as a sports guy and you can't stand my political opinions, fast forward to the b block. Okay, because you're about to get some of them. As if you're like Nick, I love your lebron takes, but god dog it, I'm a died in the world trumper and if you say anything bad about him, I'll never go listen to you again. Then fast forward the pod because here's listen. I have not been judgmental on the live tour. I've said I might go work for him if they offered me enough money. That's not what this is what I The reason I wanted to mention this is because nothing bothers me more in politics than wanton, blatant hypocrisy. And I have had to listen to Josh Hawley and the Mote and the most conservative Republicans up to and including Donald Trump on NBA players for their relationship with China and for having games over there and Lebron's relationship with them, go after them saying, oh my god, you have this relationship with this oppressive regime. And by the way, China is a oppressive regime. And if you want to have that criticism, I, while I don't share it, I understand it. But the audacity for these same people who have gone after NBA players not because they give two damns about the human rights violations in China, but because nothing riles up their base like telling prominent rich black dudes to shut the hell up and sit down and know their place. For those people to stand on that soapbox for three years about the NBA players in China and not say a word when they're dear Leader, Donald Trump is supporting financially in in other ways every way possible. The live tour hosted in his course, he goes in attendance, him and Marjorie Taylor Green and the whole crew of them, and to just be like, Yeah, who's gonna call us on our ship? Well, listen, I guess me. It's just so it's just so laughable. And by the way, it's one of again the hypocrisy. I'm not a both sides guy, but I will say anybody that fervently defended the NBA's relationship with China and fervently has attacked the Live Tour for his relationship with the Saudi royal family, I think that's a little hypocritical as well. But that's not me. I've kind of steered clear of any of the criticism because I think we all, as I've said, for it's hard to be a moral capitalist, Okay, of a truly moral capitalist, I get it.
Speaker 4: But I seeing disgusting work there. See say it again, disgusting work there.
Speaker 3: Yeah, seeing the the just the grinning ex president, potentially future president yucking it up at the Live Tour after he spent the better part of the year taking every shot at NBA guys for their relationships with us. He would put it, China, it's just repulsive and the at least somebody, at least one person noticed the obvious hypocrisy there. We'll be right back having a lot more fun, a lot more lighthearted topics, and I'm gonna try to stiff demons out of a few thousand dollars. That's all next.
Speaker 4: Yeah, we'll see.
Speaker 3: Welcome back in What's right, Nick Wright. Segment number two of episode number one, Segment one was I think our longest a bloc ever, but with good reason. We had the passing of the great Bill Russell and we discussed his career. That Deshaun Watson's story broke a few hours before we went on the air, and I decided to get a you know, take a few political shots. But if you're joining back now joining us, especially if you skipped over the political part, don't worry about that. We now have straight sports talk, starting with I think my favorite topic to discuss in the world, which is why Lebron James is the goat. So go ahead, demons, take us there.
Speaker 4: You rank Kareem at number two in your top fifty to the last fifty years. Yep, it means that you have Lebron James at number one over Michael Jordan most notably but not surprisingly. Yeah, what would it take for somebody to did he throw in Lebron at number one? Okay, so the question all that, by the way before were I don't want to spoil too much rancor talk or whatever. No, that's fine. Would Lebron be number one if he didn't come back through one in that Golden State Series?
Speaker 3: No, okay, he wouldn't be. I mean well, I mean without are you asking if he had just won the title without being three to one or if.
Speaker 4: They know if they just lost that finals on top of him not coming back from the three one?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 4: No, no, he needed changes.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that changed the landscape considerably, all right, and we'll talk about that on Sunday when people hear the Lebron episode. So of when people look at active players, does any active player of a chance of becoming the Goat? Let me start with Steph. The answer with Steph is no, he doesn't have enough time left, even if he wins a couple more championships. He's thirty, he's gonna be thirty four years old. He has become a more than passable defensive player, but he's never gonna have the two way impact that the Goat candidates have had and he had, and so Steph, Steph's ceiling is probably passing Kobe, passing Duncan. That's his ceiling. Okay, Then let me get to Luca. Luca's the most controversial person on the list. Number twenty on the list. Again, watch the Luca video. I explained it. There's president people, Luca has a chance to become the greatest offensive player ever, I do not, and I don't think he'll quite get there. But I do not think Luca has a chance to become the greatest player ever, because I even if he improves defensively, he's never There were various periods of time where Kareem, Michael and Lebron were the most devastating or the very close to the most devastating defensive players in basketball while being the best offensive players in basketball. So that leaves one guy who could do it, and that's Yannis yep. And I won't put a ceiling on where Jannis could get to because if Yiannis gets the accolades and the hardware and has the longevity that I think he will, his potential is of course to be the greatest player ever. I'm not I'm not predicting he becomes the greatest player ever, and but he we already saw him have one of the greatest finals performances ever. I believe they would have won the title this year if Middleton didn't get hurt. But we can't just give him an extra finals. I know you don't like to hear that, but I believe that they would have. And he is, in my opinion, for three consecutive years, been the single most impactful offensive and defensive player in basketball and so and I think he has the right disposition and all of that. So do am I predicting he will? I'm not predicting it. Is it on the board. It's on the board, and he's the only active player that it's on the board for. But Big Vic, Victor win Ban Yama or whim Ban wim Ban Yama. Pardon me, oh boy, the seven foot two inch French kid. Look out, yes, look out for Big Vic. But right now, Jannis is the guy. All right, what's next?
Speaker 4: All right? Training camp fights are nothing new, but franchise quarterbacks picking the fights is different. Josh Allen picked a fight with a six to six defensive tackle at six hundred pounds. These are the are These are totally the actions of somebody or a leader that's focused on beating the chiefs.
Speaker 3: Right. Hey, this is trying to set me up to take a shot at Josh Allen, and I won't do it.
Speaker 4: I think I'm not gonna say I think you should take a shot at Josh Allen.
Speaker 3: I don't.
Speaker 4: He's the quarterback.
Speaker 3: I don't, okay, but he's bigger than most of these guys. Second of all, I'm I.
Speaker 4: Wait, no, I'm not saying he's the quarterback so he shouldn't be picking fights with a defensive tackle. I'm just saying, like you're the quarterback, you're supposed to You're saying he's bigger than most of these guys, Like, all right, yeah, he could pick a fight because he might win.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Okay, that's what I'm saying. I think it'd be idiotic if it were Kyler. Okay's six six. I ain't get the I mean, what are we talking about here? That's first. Second of all, this is bait to try to get me to take shots at Josh Allen. I said after the Bills Chiefs Divisional round game. Josh Allen has my respect, and more than my respect, he has generated fear from me, and so I am not taking any more shots at him. I think Josh Awesome I have him right now, is the second best quarterback in football. I have totally come around. I am I flip flopped on Josh Allen one hundred percent and so no, I will not take shots at him. I don't. I don't mind the training camp fights and if anything that d tackle should maybe be cut. Oh my gosh, quarterback. You can't mess with the quarterback.
Speaker 4: No, that's you can't mess with the quarterback. But didn't he shoved him? I guess he hit him late at I.
Speaker 3: Don't, Yeah, he touched him late. You just can't do it. Just can't do it. Fella, that's franchised, all right, what's next?
Speaker 4: Uh? So?
Speaker 3: Cardinals?
Speaker 4: Cardinals have removed the independent study clause from Kyler Murray's contract after a backlash from every direction. Also related, Zion Williamson has a weigh in clause stating that he will lose some of his money if he exceeds a certain weight limit and body fat percentage. How do you feel about teams putting these condescending clauses in players contracts?
Speaker 3: Okay? I feel very differently about the Zion and the Kyler one.
Speaker 4: Okay.
Speaker 3: The Zion one I think is totally reasonable. I don't think it's condescending. I think it's that Hey, the Miami Heat famously used to have weekly weigh ins and if you had over a certain body fat, or you were over the weight you're supposed to be, they find you. This is a more punitive version of that. Yeah, I also think for Zion that this is trying to protected him from himself to a degree, and because it's I've never seen someone whose body in a short period of time can fluctuate so much between how he looks like. It looks like he can swing twenty pounds in one direction to the other in a week. I also would imagine this.
Speaker 4: Probably it just means that it's really easy for him to get.
Speaker 3: Big, easy for him to get big, which is what this is trying to protect against. I also, I don't know this, but I would imagine this went something like this that the pelican said we want because the clause is the following his weight plus his body fat percentage cannot exceed two hundred and ninety five. So my guess is the pelican said we don't want Zion ever above two seventy five, that we want him to be at two seven and his and they wanted to put that in there, and his agent almost assuredly pushed back, well, that's not fair, Like what if our guy just gets crazy jacked up and they said, okay, so all right, fine, So you want to play it too eighty like Lebron did one year, I believe you better have the Lebron type of body fat. You know what I mean? If you so, if you want to play it too eighty, it better be the leanest to eighty we've ever seen. Meanwhile, if you're at two seventy, there's no way you're gonna be a You're not gonna have a designs I can have better than more than twenty five percent body fat, So, you know, so it protects him and them in that regard that one. I don't mind the Kyler thing. We talked about it when it happened. It was it was embarrassing for all parties involved. And here's the problem with them taking it out. If I'm Kyler and his agent, I'm like, so, let's just make this clear, because I'm sure they fought about that provision. I'm sure they didn't want it in there.
Speaker 4: And for them to like rat kind of rat him out like that.
Speaker 3: Well, it's not just that they rated him out. Every when when he signed it, he knows he has good representation. These contracts get filed publicly, we can all read them. But the point that I think is would really irritate me if I were kyler Is, I told you I didn't want this in there. My agent fought for it not to be in there. You guys said it had to be in there, and then public scrutiny and Twitter memes and being made fun of in the media made you remove it.
Speaker 4: I need to be compensated for my suffering.
Speaker 3: So well, I don't know about that, but my feeling, my personal feelings were not enough for you to remove it. But you know, public perception was that would piss me off. I think that's a I think that's a poorly, poorly run franchise. All right, what's last?
Speaker 4: The athletics. Fred Katz says that the current NBA trade market is that a standstill. He claims that asking prices for stars are way too high right now, specifically, Kat's asking price seems a little bit unattainable. One front office the executive said Katie is the blame because he's asking for his trade so late. Can anything happen before Katie gets moved?
Speaker 3: All right? I don't think Katie asked for a trade so late. He asked for a trade right, poor free right and free agency was getting started, so I don't think he asked for a trade too late. I think we are in a holding pattern. I do believe Katie's going to get moves. I thought Zach Lowe's reporting that the Nets are still holding out hope that he will retract his trade demand is noteworthy because the Nets recognizing the reality of the situation, which is, if he doesn't retract it, we do have to trade him. Even though somebody are like, ah, he has four years left. I just think right now is the downtime. I think once training camp approaches, Certainly, once training camp starts, Kevin Durant gets moved and Donovan Mitchell gets moved. I think both of those things happen. I O. Deemond's a ten thousand dollars. I do not have it on me. We'll see how this goes. That's next. All right, welcome back in What's right?
Speaker 4: Nick? Right?
Speaker 3: So, I uh, on Thursday's pod, I made a grievous strategic error. So it was really bad. I'm about to tell you. I just looked it up. So I went into Thursday's pod with four hundred and ninety five thousand and six Twitter followers Demanse went into Thursday's pod with just under thirty seven hundred Twitter followers, and I said to him that I thought I would get to five hundred thousand before he got to five thousand, and I would pick up another five thousand followers before Demanse picked up thirteen hundred followers, right, And I was so confident I not only said let's bet on it, but I said I'll lay ten to one, and then I let you choose the amount, and you're the choose your own adventure of financial things with you have not always gone your way, and you went higher than I ever would have imagined. You said you wanted to risk a thousand dollars, which put me on the hook for ten thousand dollars, which in the moment on the pod you can see my hesitation, But that is mostly because I'm like, God, dog it.
Speaker 4: I'm gonna take.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm gonna take exactly like twenty percent of this guy's net worth. But then what happened was I made some really bad strategic errors, which is I did not tell our social media manager, Lorie off the air how serious I was about them not promoting the segment.
Speaker 4: Right.
Speaker 3: You asked me for where my buddy Danny Parkins's phone number. I thought that was for the pod, so I gave it to you, yep. And instead he sent out a tweet saying, well, we can show the tweets in a moment. But the short version is, I am sitting now at four hundred and ninety five thousand, two hundred and forty nine followers, so I gained less than two hundred and fifty and demands at fifty two hundred plus yep, so he gained fifteen hundred, so he won the bet. So can we show some of these tweets and then we'll get to the payoff of it? Cause these tweets, oh demant got there immediately. Demanse tweeted this noon on Friday, what do I do now? And then what are the following tweets? Because I don't I didn't enjoy dealing with any of this. The next one that he sent was people sent to him. Was Demanse as Scrooge McDuck counting his money, there was another one cent and we can just roll through them up. Add it all on your Celtics next year, fifty five thousand or nothing, And this says, is a joke don't actually do that bucks of sweeping them this year. Yeah, don't actually do that. Yeah, don't don't actually do it.
Speaker 4: We'll be gone before that.
Speaker 3: Laugh at the old man. I would also give your little sister ten dollars in front of your dad, just to troll him. The world is yours, demonsex.
Speaker 4: The world is yours.
Speaker 3: Oh god, Okay.
Speaker 4: So.
Speaker 3: I promised that I would pay you on the air. So what I have in front of the camera right here, and this is not a bit. These are not is not one hundred on the outside and then all ones on the inside. This is how much money do you think this is right here?
Speaker 4: That's probably like just shy of eight thousand dollars.
Speaker 3: I wish it were. This is exactly five thousand dollars.
Speaker 4: So five thousand dollars.
Speaker 3: Okay, here's the deal. And I hope and trust that you will believe me, and we can we can read calibrate on Thursday's pot. I went to the bank this morning, yeah, and ask them to withdraw ten thousand dollars, and they gave me a whole run around about that amount and this and that and third, and I didn't want to say there's people online behind me check how much is in the account?
Speaker 4: Check it.
Speaker 3: I would like it, but I had to get back for the pod so I could easily get five thousand from them. So that's what I did. Ok So here's half half. You accept half now and the other half on Thursday with no juice, no vig, I'm not no interest running. Is that a deal.
Speaker 4: That's a deal.
Speaker 3: That's a deal. So there it is. Now before where I let go of it? Can you make me a commitment? Is this please go directly in the bank? Oh yeah, right after the show, right after the show, direct backpack and everything I won't put in my pocket directly in the bank. Okay, there it is.
Speaker 4: Oh thanks man. I don't like this hundred that's on the top though.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's the most money you've ever held one time, correct.
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Your hesitation there makes me question some of your maybe previous endeavors if you've ever held more than five thousand dollars.
Speaker 4: I wasn't a cartel at some point, but.
Speaker 3: Yeah, oh god, you feel good about this.
Speaker 4: I feel great. I'm gonna put it in my pocket.
Speaker 3: Now it's gonna fall out of your You got zippers on those?
Speaker 4: No, you don't.
Speaker 3: This guy, this guy I think is wearing swim trunks for the pod, and I just gave him five grand.
Speaker 4: They're actually billionaire boys club shorts.
Speaker 3: Oh, how apropos wearing the old Do you feel like a billionaire right now? There? It is worst sports wager of my life and it's only halfway paid off, and God only knows what that then means. I have to pay off to your mother once she sees and hears this. That's today's pod. We'll talk to you guys on Thursday
Speaker 4: All right, folks might not see me here on Thursday.