Speaker 1: It's a media podcast.
Speaker 2: Welcome to Meet Eater Trivia, the only game show where conservation always wins. I'm your host, Spencer new Arthan. Today we're joined by Jannis Brody, Randall, Nate, Sarah and Cory. This is a ten round quiz show with questions from Medeater's four verticals, which are hunting, fishing, conservation and cooking. There is a prize. Meat Eater will donate five hundred dollars to the conservation organization of the winners choosing. All right, we have a mailbag question to start today's show. If you have a question you want the crew to answer, send your question with the subject line Mailbag to Trivia at the medeater dot com. Stephen Funk says I hunted as a kid, but only got one deer and some squirrels. I'm now thirty two and wanting to get back into hunting, but have no one to go with. Nord learn from any suggestions for someone getting back into it, such as where to start and recommend gear. I've considered getting a Henry twenty two and going for squirrel on local public lands, as I no longer have access to private land as I did when I was a kid.
Speaker 3: Oh, can I go first?
Speaker 4: Yes?
Speaker 2: What do we got for Steven?
Speaker 5: Well, you practice a little bit with his question before we started, But I didn't read the email earlier, and so I had no idea about his squirrel hunting. But that right there is a one hundred percent where he should just pick right back up.
Speaker 2: He chose a good place to start.
Speaker 4: Did he include where he's from?
Speaker 2: He did not say.
Speaker 6: But if he's only going to get one gun, I'd go shot gun, not twenty two.
Speaker 3: He says he can only afford one gun. He didn't say that.
Speaker 2: He says, I've considered getting a Henry twenty two and going for squirrel on local public land. I'd assume he's just gonna buy one new gun.
Speaker 4: Aesthetically it's most pleasing, okay, But if.
Speaker 2: You want versus get yourself at twenty gauge, okay.
Speaker 5: Yeah, maybe one you can swap barrels, you can shoot and shoot a deer, because that's what he wants to do, is shooting get himself.
Speaker 2: Then what state didn't say? What state not say? Where he's from? Nate Mason? When did you kill your first?
Speaker 7: That would have been twenty twenty?
Speaker 3: Shot it?
Speaker 7: Shot it with both Age oh Man twenty four.
Speaker 2: Age twenty four, can you give some advice to.
Speaker 7: See you so as a fellow onset adult onset hunter, you need to like, you got to get a mentor, dude, like you gotta find someone who's willing to take you under their wing. It will speed your learning curve up so fast and it'll make you actually enjoy it. The key to that is, like, come prepared when you approach someone to ask them for your time, come with a plan, have your hunting license, have your weapon picked out, do some initial scouting even though your scouting is going to be pointless, and show that you're invested. I have so many people who now approach me and say, hey, I want to learn to hunt, and I'm like, cool, do it, And then they don't have a hunting license, they don't have a plan, they don't know what kind of weapon they're going to use, and it just falls out. But when a guy approaches me with a plan and shows that he's bought in, then that'll that'll set you up for success.
Speaker 3: That kind of coming to you for that though.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean that I get what you're saying.
Speaker 7: Oh dude, you got to come prepared.
Speaker 4: You're going to get more out of it, but.
Speaker 1: You don't know woud to prepare. If you're a new hunter.
Speaker 2: Okay, if it's a new hunter fixing to kill a deer, do you have the freezer space? Like there's a good point, get place to see.
Speaker 7: Dude, just chat GPT it tell whatever Chat tells you to do it. I say, I'm going to approach this person. What do I need to lay out? It'll give you ten things. You do five of those things, that guy will be so stoked and so much more likely to help you.
Speaker 1: I'll add to the mentor thing.
Speaker 6: That's it's not easy finding a mentor like all the time, Like look at your state Fish and Game Agency because they often have like new hunter programs.
Speaker 7: I went to a hunter one oh one thinking I just wanted to shoot pigs with an AR fifteen. And this guy lyle Avis, huge mediator fan, big hound hunter or anyways, he took me under his wing and he was awesome, and without him I would not have been I wouldn't be here today.
Speaker 2: As Brody said, the state orgs have a lot of mentorship programs, as do conservation orgs. N WTF Rough Grouse Society, National Deer Association, International Hunter Education Association or ef BHA. They all have something like that that will hook you up with someone who knows what they're doing.
Speaker 1: Talk up the old timers at the shooting range.
Speaker 8: Yeah, and don't even I would say too, Like if you're using an org like that to try to find a mentor, show up at like a service day, because then you're gonna go pull fence or do whatever with a bunch of folks who are very invested in the lifestyle and in the future. I mean, like people with years and years and years of experience, and.
Speaker 4: You already know that they're.
Speaker 8: Into the idea of passing it on in public service and all that you're gonna have better luck, like at a field day with with people are volunteering for fish and wildlife than you are.
Speaker 4: I like the gun counter, it, sportsman's warehouse or whatever.
Speaker 2: Can I have one more thing for you to go out there by yourself, like don't be scared like gouf, Like as important as a mentor is, like you can go learn a lot just going out out there and make mistakes by yourself. So like, don't be afraid to go out in the woods. Yeah, having a mentor is like, you can't replace that. But I would say in the year twenty twenty six, the learning curve has never been smaller for something like this, specifically with like YouTube, as someone who picked up a new outdoor hobby, like during COVID, which was rock counting, I didn't know anything about that. I didn't know anybody who was a rock count. I liked it a lot of my learning through YouTube.
Speaker 6: God Spencer, I thought you were a lifelong rock count.
Speaker 2: I was always rock curious. I would see a rock and be like, what is that thing? I'd like to know if I can have that it is? Is it special? It was really COVID that was like, okay, I think I'm gonna get into this thing. Anyway, there was a lot full of rocks my houses, Like, yes, you can. You can learn a lot on YouTube. The other thing, I would say it is a true like bona fide statistic. I don't remember if it was via the National Shooting Sports Foundation or the US Fish Wildless Service, but the number one barrier to entry is having a place to go hunt. And so for whatever state you're in, I would say, get on X. It's like thirty bucks a year. You'll find all the public land. Uh this guy like I would search your own last name on there, Stephen Funk and see if there are maybe there's an uncle who has a farm you don't know about, or like you, I'm serious this, I do this or I did this. When I got on X for the first time, I was like, Okay, where are the new hearts at? On X is really great for that you might find the place you can hunt. Search your bosses.
Speaker 8: Nay sat there and me absolutely it is.
Speaker 2: Having a place to hunt is the hardest part about hunting. That's just a fact. So on X, I think the thirty dollars you can spend on that is is well worth it. And then we also have an article on the mediator dot com that Brody wrote in twenty twenty, how to find a hunting mentors a long time. You'll learn some of the tips there. There you go, all right, We have some housekeeping, but not really. The Meat Eater Auction House of Oddities has returned. Today July eighth is when everything kicks off. We've got more than thirty items available, with one hundred percent of the pro seeds going to the Meat Eater Land Access Initiative. Bro Detail folks about the Lai and all the good work.
Speaker 6: Yeah, it was launched back in twenty twenty. I don't know if it was part of the Ranella Patel's campaign promise, but back in twenty twenty, we created it to increase public access for hunting, fishing, and all forms of outdoor recreation. So we raised money to increase access through We do that through donations, sales, auctions, et cetera. A few of the notable projects twenty twenty was the first one Shiloh Pond in Maine. That was an area in Kingfield Township that was going to get privatized and we stepped in and kind of rescued it. Twenty twenty two, Montana Great Outdoors Project we opened up well, we connected. I'm not sure how much land we actually bought, but it was one hundred and fifty eight one hundred and fifty thousand acre. Conservations opened up a bunch of access to a bunch of land. Wildcat Bend in Montana is after that bunch of access on the Yellowstone River, and then Big One. We helped fund the Legal Defense Fund for the Missouri for in Wyoming's Big Old Corner Crossing case and We're back now for Tuckertown Game Lands in North Carolina for twenty six.
Speaker 2: As I just said, having access to a place to hunt fish, that's the number one barrier, and that's what the Media Land Access Initiative is working towards giving you more places to hunt fish. Some of the highlights of things we have in the auction house Steve's dad's old pick up that's filled with hunting gear, a bow made by Bear Newcomb, a tanned bear hide from Clay Newcomb, fly fishing memorabilia from Lefty Krey, doss boat motor, that's a one fifty V Tech outboard. Leftover barn board that's the same barnboard that's in our new podcast studio. Three punt gun shells, seventy three hats that were shot by a punt gun, signed trivia board games, uh dinosaur bone jewelry and mammoth bone jewelry that was made by my wife. A box of rocks, fossils and gemstones from my personal collection, and much much more. It's all happening right now at the medeater dot com slash auction. The bidding ends in two weeks, all right. The Shelby Index for today is a four, so our winners should get eight correct answers, and with that we're onto the game of I need to know what I stand to win everything.
Speaker 7: That's it just tend to win everything.
Speaker 2: Demon Suckers Question one. The topic is conservation. This is our listener question of the Week, which was won by Logan leather Row. For sending this great question, Logan is going to get a one hundred and fifty dollars first gift card. If you want a chance to win the listener Question of the Week, then send your question to Trivia at the mediater dot com.
Speaker 7: Right.
Speaker 2: The topic is conservation. This is multiple choice. Besides the word department, what is the most commonly used word in the name of each state's game agency? Is it resources, fish, conservation, or wildlife? So it's besides the words department, the and and those are one, two, and three. We're looking for fourth place. What is the most commonly used word in the name of each state's game agency? Is it resources, fish, conservation, or wildlife. It's a great question, that's why it's our listener question of the week. So department, the and and are one, two and three. We're looking for fourth What is the most commonly used word in the name of each state game agency resources, fish, conservation, wildlife. Yeah, I know how you doing. I know he's got his USA shirt on today. Is that your go to us A shirt? Yeah?
Speaker 3: It's my fourth of July outfit.
Speaker 2: Okay, I'm still rocking around.
Speaker 5: My kids made it. Well, yeah, because the US of A is playing Belgium and figured where the.
Speaker 7: Colors with their full roster? Who?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Is everybody ready?
Speaker 3: I'm not. I'm not ready.
Speaker 2: Still thinking is it resources, fish, conservation or wildlife?
Speaker 7: I feel like we got good vibes in the room today.
Speaker 2: Okay, what do you think about that?
Speaker 4: Brody?
Speaker 1: We for who vibes for everyone?
Speaker 3: Just generally, it's.
Speaker 1: Good that you feel that way.
Speaker 2: Waiting on Yanni, well see if you feel that way.
Speaker 1: Six or seven questions from.
Speaker 2: Probably not go ahead and reveal your answers. We have Yannis saying fish, Sarah fish, Randall's fishy wildlife, Nate Resources, Brodie wildlife. The correct answer is wildlife. I think we had two of our six players get that one. After the words department, to the and and The most commonly used word for state game agencies is wildlife, which appears in thirty two of fifty states. That's followed by the word natural twenty four times, resources twenty one, fish nineteen, game fourteen, and conservation five. California is the most recent stay to add the word wildlife to their name, going from the California Department of Fish and Game to the California Apartment of Fish and Wildlife in twenty thirteen.
Speaker 7: Fish.
Speaker 2: They had fish, then they added wildlife.
Speaker 1: Sarah thought about the game versus wildlife thing.
Speaker 9: That was kind of what I was going through my head when I picked fish.
Speaker 2: Yeah, thirty two of fifty states have the word wildlife in their name. Question two the topic is fishing. This next great question is via Pam Corwin. This appropriately named fish, which resembles a dolly Varden is the northernmost freshwater fish in the world.
Speaker 7: Fucket list, I don't know anything that is.
Speaker 2: Asking, okay, Sarah Brody Randall All quick to answer. This appropriately named fish, which resembles a Dolly Varden, is the northernmost freshwater fish in the world.
Speaker 7: I wish I knew what a dolly varden is.
Speaker 2: Well after, it's a character from a Dickens novel. Oh, we will show you a picture of a dolly varden. And this fish there should be a I'm not gonna talk. Okay, this is question two. This appropriately named fish, which resembles a Dolly Varden, is the northernmost freshwater fish in the world. Randall, have you ever caught one of these? Uh?
Speaker 4: No?
Speaker 2: No, okay, well for six in.
Speaker 4: This caught some dollies? Phil, would you look up? Is it David Copperfield?
Speaker 3: Sure, I'll get right on that, please the book.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I'm trying to remember where Dolly Varden.
Speaker 2: I didn't know that that's where that came from.
Speaker 4: Oh, yeah, that's trivia.
Speaker 10: That is from Charles Dickens's eighteen forty one historical novel Barnaby Rudge.
Speaker 2: Oh okay, trivia, it's wrong trivia.
Speaker 4: Yeah, well it's it's from a Dickens novel.
Speaker 3: It is you got?
Speaker 10: That was a good pull to half point Shelby, which resembles a Dolly Varden.
Speaker 1: And it's tough being angler.
Speaker 7: To become an adult on angler, dude, it's not.
Speaker 2: Well, you have a strike against you since you don't drink beer and eates and that's a crucial part.
Speaker 3: No, it's not.
Speaker 2: It's the adult angler. Not if you want to be a good adult Anglers Randall said he couldn't go with him. He didn't.
Speaker 7: I didn't say that, Brodie.
Speaker 4: He wouldn't want to go with me.
Speaker 2: Probably like six, is everybody ready, go ahead and reveal your answers?
Speaker 1: Uh?
Speaker 2: Weara and Randall's saying Arctic char. Corey says bull trout. Brody and Nate say Arctic charge. Let's go correct answer is the Arctic char? Well done?
Speaker 3: You're in the same fly fishing guy.
Speaker 9: Eh, I never seen an Arctic char.
Speaker 6: The US the same damn thing. I thought they were the same thing, Dolly's bull trout.
Speaker 4: I bet the flavor text will tell us.
Speaker 2: The northern most population of Arctic char is found on Ellesmere Island, which is about four hundred miles from the North Pole. Their southernmost native population is main. Arctic char have a slow metabolism that makes them well suited to live in places with low nutrients and long winters. There's a picture of you showing the difference between run Arctic that looks evidence. They also looks as sea run.
Speaker 7: Okay.
Speaker 2: The Arctic char has a wide variance of colors that they produce. This one is more than the plan silver side. But they can they can produce some real good color. All right, well Phil looks that up. We'll move on to question.
Speaker 6: This man the sea run suckers get a big green, beautiful.
Speaker 2: Chary Arctic chart can look like a lot of different salmonid species at different points in their development. Question three, the topic is hunting.
Speaker 1: We'll get back to that.
Speaker 2: In sport clays, the discs that erratically roll and bounce across the ground are named after this animal. Sarah and Nate Brodie Randall all quick to answer.
Speaker 3: They suck to hit, Sarah Donne.
Speaker 7: Sarah signed up for a sporting clays tournament.
Speaker 2: Okay, now do you shoot these in sporting clays or not? Yeah?
Speaker 1: Yeah, there's some stations.
Speaker 2: That not every station, But and do you think these are out of these rank among the hardest to hit.
Speaker 3: They're hard to hit hard because they bounce ra.
Speaker 9: Some courses will set them intentionally, so they kick up and you have to make sure there's some rocks or tree roots around it make contact with.
Speaker 2: In sporting clays, the discs that erratically roll and bounce across the ground are named after this animal. Is everybody ready go ahead and reveal your answers. We have the whole room saying rabbit, except Corey, who says pigeon. The correct answer is rabbit or bunny. I've seen them called bunny clays as well. Rabbit clays are about the same size as clay pigeons, but have heavier reinforced edges. They change speeds as they hop across the ground, making them a challenge hit. The National Shooting Sports Foundation says these clays are about the same speed as others, but appear faster because of their movement against a background.
Speaker 3: Is this your sea run Arctic chart? I don't know who that man is.
Speaker 2: That thing out there, I don't know what that was, but that's an The other one was not running into the sea. That was just a sad not that one.
Speaker 9: The trick for those rabbits just to aim for the front foot. It's a clay, it's round, but you have to think about hitting the front foot. It gets your eyes on the right spot.
Speaker 1: I just closed my eyes.
Speaker 2: Question for the topic is wildlife. A mermaid's blank is the common name for the leathery egg case laid by sharks and skates. Brody very quick to answer, Randall joins me. A mermaid's blank is the common name for the leathery egg case laid by sharks and skates. Yanni, do you have this one right?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 5: I got a good guess. I'm not gonna say that. I think one of the very first animals that I killed on a hunt was a rabbit be a shotgun, and I can still remember just being so surprised, Like I remember, I can still vividly remember like the shot, like cutting the dirt and that rabbit going from run to like a little bit of a skid and then a stop and just.
Speaker 8: Being like holy shit, like it all worked, you know, I feel whatever I hit a clay?
Speaker 2: Are there, Sarah? Are the rabbits? Are they always coming across you? Were they ever like going away from you?
Speaker 9: They're never going straight away. They're typically always crossing, but sometimes they'll kind of cross away.
Speaker 4: And I had no idea those existed.
Speaker 9: Yeah, they suck, clearly.
Speaker 2: A mermaid's blank is the common name for the leathery egg case laid by sharks and skates.
Speaker 3: Mm, we have some of these?
Speaker 2: You have some of these?
Speaker 3: I think, so, oh, I'm so jealous.
Speaker 2: I'd like, wow, yeah.
Speaker 3: I'll dig one up. I'll give you something. They always pick them up on the beach. In North Carolina.
Speaker 1: Your first answer should be first aspiring beach.
Speaker 2: Whenever I'm on the coast. Now I'm always bringing home trash. It's like the rock hound forager in me. Oh yeah, have not found one of these.
Speaker 3: You should go sharks to Jennifer.
Speaker 4: Oh that's funny.
Speaker 3: She came home with hundreds due.
Speaker 7: I found two hundred and nine in my last batch. Damn, yes, smoked, my brother sucking extra jealous. Give it what state Maryland? Well, Virginia actually, but same time.
Speaker 3: You get any big ones.
Speaker 7: They found a great white, but it like it depends on what you mean by big. He was like that big, that's a big tooth. But people are thinking mag teeth, you know, yeah, smaller.
Speaker 5: The ones that are like, we get some quarter sized ones too. But yeah, our buddy Parker Hall, he always sends me pictures of one size of his palm.
Speaker 7: Oh that's the dream, dude.
Speaker 8: Damns, everybody read.
Speaker 2: A mermaid's blank is the common name for the leathery case egg or the leathery egg case laid by sharks and skates. Go ahead and reveal your answers. Yanni says purse, Sarah says tail Randal purse Cory scale, Nate tail Brody purse. The correct answer is a mermaid's purse bomber, although sizes and shapes vary. A typical mermaids purse is rectangular with distinct horns. The pouch is made of tough collagen that shields the baby from the outside world. Only about thirty percent of sharks pieces producing mermaid's purse. The empty pouches will wash up on beaches, with coastal lore saying that finding one is a sign of wealth, good luck, and blessings from the sea.
Speaker 3: There you go.
Speaker 2: Ye, I'm doing so good, wealth, good luck and see blessings.
Speaker 3: Great.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm still I'm.
Speaker 7: Still enjoying myself.
Speaker 2: You've got arctic charge. You can't.
Speaker 7: I could get the rest wrong, and.
Speaker 2: Money can't buy that. Nate did in an arctic charge. We're looking at a mermaid's person now. Question five, the topic is cooking. Martha Stewart says, quote, it's abrasive and can lift stubborn grime when talking about this soap alternative for cleaning cast iron. That's how Martha Stewart described it. It's abrasive and can lift stubborn grime. When talking about this soap alternative for cleaning cast iron. Brody came up with an answer. Brody, do you think you agree with Martha Stewart? It's not sure.
Speaker 7: That's my point. I thought your questions are really good. This one's not so good.
Speaker 9: This might ruffle some feathers. But the whole soap and cast iron thing only really applies to old cast iron, and you can use soap on newcast iron.
Speaker 2: If you look at Lodge's website, when they tell you how to clean cast iron, they tell you to use soap. Yeah, it was.
Speaker 9: The like the older soaps what they had lie on them, and it like ate away cast iron.
Speaker 2: It still feels naughty. I respect the tradition. I don't use soap. I do like Martha Stewart's advice here. Martha Stewart says it's abrasive and can lift stubborn grime. When talking about this soap alternative for cleaning cast iron. Hmmm, Randall, do you think you have this one?
Speaker 4: Nope, I have an abrasive substance.
Speaker 2: It's a lot of those, Brod. He's going back to his whiteboard after he declared that he wasn't going to change answer. Johnnie Corey coming up with their answer, Yanni, are you ready go ahead and reveal answers you have, Yanni saying salt, Sarah salt, Randall's baking soda, Corey Sand, Nate salt, Brody salt. The correct answer is salt.
Speaker 7: Nice between that and chain mail.
Speaker 2: According to Martha Stewart, it's best to just clean cast iron with hot water, and if the build up is bad, reach for salt. The recommended process is to heat the cast iron on a stove for a few minutes, then apply a couple teaspoons of salt and scrub it in. After that you can rinse the pan and re season the cast iron.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna try it. I've never tried it.
Speaker 2: I've used the salt and it got rid of some rust for me, so it's worth a shot.
Speaker 9: Get like the diamond or the Morton's kosher really really coarse.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I have boxes of that stuff in our house.
Speaker 9: I prefer diamond, but.
Speaker 2: Randall, I think there are people who do use baking.
Speaker 4: I bet there are.
Speaker 8: But seemed like a great answer, Martha Stewart, recurring and sand works great if you're not in the kitchen.
Speaker 2: Yeah. As a fishing guide, you've done that on the side of the river before my Arctic char fishing guide fell. We're halfway through the game of trivia. Give us a scoreboard update.
Speaker 10: You're in halftime, Corey falling way behind.
Speaker 3: He's got one point.
Speaker 2: I think I'm elsewhere mentally at the moment.
Speaker 7: You just like it.
Speaker 10: We've got Sarah Randall and Nate three points apiece. Janis boutell Us has four in second place and with a perfect game.
Speaker 3: Yes, it's proty.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 5: Probably isn't even paying attention as you call off his positioning.
Speaker 3: He knew, Yeah, he roll in.
Speaker 2: The perfect game.
Speaker 1: What's the age stand for?
Speaker 7: Adult on set hunter?
Speaker 1: Oh?
Speaker 3: That question.
Speaker 2: Question six? The topic is hunting. This next great question is via Ben Ladage. Irene Bedard stops mel Gibson from shooting a bear in this nineteen ninety five Oscar winning Disney.
Speaker 3: Film, and the room is stumped.
Speaker 2: They are stumped. Irene Bedard stops mel Gibson from shooting a bear in this nineteen ninety five Oscar winning Disney film. Phil, do you think you would have gotten this one right as we have six players sitting here with blank whiteboards?
Speaker 10: Well, I almost When Yanny said the room is stumped. I almost piped in with not the whole room.
Speaker 2: Not the guy looking at the answer. Hey, Irene Bedard stops Mel Gibson from shooting a bear in this nineteen ninety five Oscar winning Disney film. That's all you need to know in the question what could it be? The answer told you two of the actors the year Fromney and it won two Oscars. How about that, jez m Is it a cartoon?
Speaker 4: Sarah?
Speaker 2: Do you like your answer? Eh? Maybe, I don't know. I couldn't tell you.
Speaker 8: Oh I should know this, but I've tried to wipe mel Gibson out of my brain.
Speaker 4: It's too problematic.
Speaker 9: He's probably not Braveheart.
Speaker 7: No, I know, Help, I don't think that was an Disney click anyway.
Speaker 3: No, it was probably the same era as Brave Heart.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think so. Pretty probably close.
Speaker 4: Sometime between.
Speaker 2: Give us a clue, Lethal weapon game for Brody. Irene Badard stops Mel Gibson from shooting a bear in this nineteen ninety five Oscar winning Disney film.
Speaker 1: This would have been like Lethal Weapon three or four?
Speaker 4: Yeah, somewhere in there.
Speaker 2: How old were you made in nineteen ninety five? Like negative three ninety five?
Speaker 7: Yeah, oh one one, okay, no, negative one.
Speaker 1: Do you know who Mel Gibson is?
Speaker 7: Yeah, dude, his star. Two of my favorite movies.
Speaker 2: Whoa Okay, have did?
Speaker 7: Brave Heart and The Patriot?
Speaker 3: Okay, what's the first one?
Speaker 7: Brave Heart?
Speaker 2: Janni's got a blank whiteboard? Random do I do? But I don't like it? Wow?
Speaker 1: I don't like mine either.
Speaker 2: M hmm.
Speaker 1: I just have a feeling that.
Speaker 6: That Disney is in there for a reason and I can't figure out why.
Speaker 2: Wow, Randall, Yanni, you boys give up? Yeah, yep, I'm not gonna come up with the nineteen ninety five Oscar winning Disney film Random Chance.
Speaker 3: I must have no, no, no, no, I didn't do anything.
Speaker 7: What are you talking about?
Speaker 2: I don't think Nate saw anything.
Speaker 3: I must have been in this movie.
Speaker 2: You give up? Go ahead and reveal your answers. Yanni without an answer, Sarah on the range, Randa without an answer. Corey says Fox and the Hound, Nate, Davy, Crockett, and Brody The Patriot. Nobody got it. The correct answer is Pocahontas.
Speaker 1: It was a cartoon.
Speaker 2: Do you think of Mel Gibson when you think of Pocahontas?
Speaker 4: Also is it an animated film.
Speaker 2: I don't think of colors will win Oscar winning movies being.
Speaker 8: I don't think of like you refer to an actor as if mel Gibson is voicing the character.
Speaker 2: Tom was like doing a toy story question I mentioned Tom Hanks.
Speaker 10: If you said, Pocahontas stops Johnson.
Speaker 7: Like, if you're I think I was a perfect Yeah, No, I do.
Speaker 8: I just I'm not fighting, but I do think that's irresponsible.
Speaker 2: The scene happens during the movie's most famous song, Colors of the Wind. The lyrics carry an environmentalist message, with Pocahontas singing quote, you think you own whatever land you land on the earth is just a dead thing you can claim. But I know every rock and tree and creature has a life, has a spirit, has a name.
Speaker 7: It's funny because I'm real hot on Mulan, which is similar era but not Pokehontas as much.
Speaker 2: Okay, we'll put it on your roar. Question seven. The topic is fishing America's thirty seventh longest river, the Trinity River is fully located in what state?
Speaker 7: It's like the fourth fishing question we've had.
Speaker 2: Fish America's thirty seventh longest river the Trinity River is fully located in As.
Speaker 1: Soon as I heard that thirty seventh, I know.
Speaker 2: That Brody has his answer locked in. Randall wrote something that e's erasing.
Speaker 3: I've never heard of this river.
Speaker 2: America's thirty seventh longest river, The Trinity River is fully located in what state? I think if you were real interested in a certain type of.
Speaker 1: Fishing, you would know this South Spencer.
Speaker 2: Yeah, America's thirty seventh longest river. The Trinity River is fully located in what state?
Speaker 3: Certain kind of fishing?
Speaker 2: Randall, do you think you have this one?
Speaker 4: I think I have it. I'm in the neighborhood.
Speaker 2: That's why it's such a good fishing question.
Speaker 7: Just throw a hint out there. Why not, here's a hint.
Speaker 1: Pick up a fishing ride once in a while.
Speaker 7: No, absolutely not for a map that would help get good.
Speaker 2: This is question.
Speaker 7: Unfortunately, my river map only goes to top twenty.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you gotta dig deep to get to thirty seven. America's thirty seventh longest river. The Trinity River is fully located in what state?
Speaker 8: Charlie Crockett song, isn't it?
Speaker 2: Uh? It could be. I wouldn't be aware of it that could be a hint.
Speaker 4: Phil, would you look that up just to humor me? Yeah, thank you.
Speaker 2: The Trinity River. That would also be like a fictional river name that you know, you could there's probably multiple. Is everybody ready?
Speaker 5: No, give me a second, fifty chance, rand it is, thank you.
Speaker 7: Thanks for not Rhode Island.
Speaker 4: I'm meant to tell you're doing a good job today.
Speaker 7: Thank you.
Speaker 4: Well. I wouldn't have let Spencer get away.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you were clot for that ar char picture film. Very important.
Speaker 3: You guys are being so kind.
Speaker 2: Johanni trying to come up with the state. Come on, go ahead and reveal your answers. Yanni says North Carolina, Sarah says Oregon, Randall Nevada, Cordy, California, Nate, New York, Brody Texas. Brody got it. The answer is texasat guard. At five hundred and six miles, the Trinity River is the same length as the White River that flows through South Dakota and Nebraska. The Trinity's headwaters form outside of Dallas, with the river ending at the Gulf. The waterway is famous for its bass catfish, and as Brody said, it's alligator gar, big old alligator gar and the Trinity River.
Speaker 4: Yeah. The Charlie Crockett thing should have tipped me off.
Speaker 2: He wouldn't sing a song about Alaska or Maine.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's disheartening.
Speaker 2: We are on to question eight. The topic is conservation vibes. This political commentator said, the government is quote putting chemicals in the water that turned the frigging frogs gay in twenty fifteen.
Speaker 7: This is a trivia question.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I gotta got a real chuckle out of myself right in this one.
Speaker 7: I should I should just ask you before I come in. Are there more than two fishing questions?
Speaker 2: And then you'll know you're gonna yeah, show up or not. This political commentator said, the government is putting chemicals in the water that turn the friggin frogs gay in twenty fifteen.
Speaker 7: Man, you could have if you could have done my Napoleon dynamite faux Paul, I could have.
Speaker 4: Yeah, t I almost did it.
Speaker 9: On a scale of one to ten. How controversial is this figure?
Speaker 2: Okay, got it?
Speaker 9: That makes me so much, so much more confident.
Speaker 2: Brody, do you have this one right?
Speaker 7: Oh?
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 1: There's a lot of I feel like there's a lot of people.
Speaker 2: That could fill this role this political commentator says podcast I'm giving you an yeah, their heads in the right podcast. We sent them an invite to see if they can come and talk about this. The quote is putting chemicals in the water that turned the freaking frogs gay. That was said in twenty fifteen.
Speaker 7: Oh what chemicals? Probably florid.
Speaker 2: Mhm, Sarah, do you have this one?
Speaker 7: I gotta tell you about my convo with the dentist.
Speaker 2: Mm hm.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, save that one.
Speaker 7: For dam We got enough dentist writing in about stuff.
Speaker 2: It's everybody ready, go ahead and reveal your answers. Yanni says Brett Bear, Sarah, Alex Jones, Randall, Alex Jones, Cory, Sean Hannity, Nate, Alex Jones, Brody, Alex Jones. Correct answer is Alex.
Speaker 3: Is one of those Fox guys.
Speaker 11: No, No, he's guy conspiracy theorist Alex Jones was referencing animal testing that suggested a popular herbicide can cause male frogs to become hermaphrodites.
Speaker 2: Frogs do experience sex reversal in the wild, with biologists saying it's a natural occurrence that can increase due to warm temperatures and exposure to herbicides, pharmaceuticals, and road salt. Right, Uh he was, he was right, referencing this one study that was hard to reproduce. It was done in a lab. And they do say that herbicides, pharmaceuticals, and road salts can do it, but frogs do it on their own naturally. Question nine, the topic is wildlife. Oh, we're gonna get a scoreboard update from fill the in.
Speaker 4: We're not gonna play the clip.
Speaker 2: Not gonna play because then we'd get sued by who is it the onion that owns him?
Speaker 10: Now up, he's he's got seven points. He's three points ahead of everybody else.
Speaker 3: That's all that matters. Uh, No, Corey has one point.
Speaker 10: Still here, question jan Sarah Randall, and they'll have four points.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Look, I don't know if we've seen a three point victory.
Speaker 4: I'm sure you need to marvel at it.
Speaker 2: Okay. Question nine, the topic is wildlife. This next great question. Isaac Garlic the Discovery Channel declared this nine letter bird quote the world's most dangerous bird.
Speaker 7: Well, seems just like an opinion man.
Speaker 2: They have been given this title by many places. I saw Matt Geo the Library of Congress Common Knowledge. There we go. I just had to assign it to one of them, and I gave it to the Discovery Channel, who declared this nine letter bird. I kind of want to get dangerous bird. It'd be good home.
Speaker 9: You could see having inside of your house.
Speaker 1: Not in the house, no, but like it wouldn't be like the house.
Speaker 9: It's not like instable to.
Speaker 7: Have a pet, though.
Speaker 1: That might depend on what state you're in.
Speaker 7: I mean.
Speaker 2: My favorite Alex Jones is is that when he was going through the custody to battle after a divorce a few years ago, he was during the deposition he wasn't able to recall some basic facts about his kids, like who their teacher, like who his kid's teacher was or something like that.
Speaker 7: Uh.
Speaker 2: And his excuse, his greatest excuse given in the history of humans, give me excuses, was that he said, quote, I had a big old bowl of chili for launch. It gave him like short term amnesia because he ate too much chili.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 4: That explains performance.
Speaker 2: She's so good now. I give that excuse to my wife all the time. I can't do it. Chili brain.
Speaker 4: Is it one word?
Speaker 2: Nine letter bird. I'm not giving you any other hints. The world's most dangerous bursts.
Speaker 1: I'll give you one word.
Speaker 9: It's one word.
Speaker 1: It doesn't matter if I give yeah clear.
Speaker 2: Brody could double up the room though at this point, which I do not think we have seen before, it would be a real you guys could combine your score.
Speaker 3: Lunch.
Speaker 2: The Discovery Channel declared this nine letter bird is the world's most dangerous bird.
Speaker 4: Dangerous birds.
Speaker 2: Boy, if Turkey's got this big, be good eating a lot more interested in him.
Speaker 7: He's taking like a humming bird or something.
Speaker 4: Thanks, flying in your.
Speaker 1: Head be a dangerous game.
Speaker 3: Well that's not nine letters, damn it, Flamingo.
Speaker 7: No, I think that's the one I just had. And it's a bird.
Speaker 2: It's a bird, of course. Oh geez, not getting cute with some flying reptile. Okay, okay, is everybody ready just sticking knife in me?
Speaker 1: Oh, come on, let's go nine other bird?
Speaker 2: Okay, hold on, I think I think Randall's now trying harder than if he were just in second place, competing for the victory. Really doesn't want to get double back.
Speaker 4: I've forgotten what the score is.
Speaker 2: Well, you're about to get lapped by Brod.
Speaker 4: I'm too busy thinking about.
Speaker 2: Is everybody ready dangerous, the most dangerous bird. Go ahead and reveal your answers. Yanni without an answer, Sarah without an answer, Randall bald Ego, Corey says Ostrich's. Nate says albatross, Brody says Castlewaring, he got it. The correct answer is the castle. The castawary is the second heaviest and third tallest bird in the world. Although attacks are rare and they're not overly aggressive, they do a lot of damage if provoked. Their best weapon is a dinosaur like talon that can disembowel prey and break bones with a single kick. Only two people in recorded history have been killed by a castiwary. Here's a picture of one so you can see just how terrifying wow really are. I think they get like five six feet.
Speaker 1: Tall calling in those things.
Speaker 2: That'd be sweet.
Speaker 3: I don't know if I've ever heard of a Where are they from?
Speaker 2: I think Australia, like Australia's other islands. All right, here's a correct answer. Review so far. One was wildlife, two Arctic char three rabbit, Sporting Clays four mermaids, Purse five Assault six, Pocahontas seven, Texas eight, Alex Jones nine Cassiwary Phil scoreboard update.
Speaker 10: As if we needed one, this might be one of the bigger blowouts.
Speaker 3: And you got one question left.
Speaker 2: I thought you had too wrong, Brody, he only has one wrong, but Brody has double the score of any other one question left. Question ten the topic because woodsmanship. This last great question is via Mike Sheffer. Pe Can, mocker nut, pig nut, bitter nut, shell back, and shag bark are all types of this tree?
Speaker 3: Mm hmm.
Speaker 2: If we were doing a fish example would be like blue channel and flabbhead or all types of this fish. Can't fish for this one, it's peacn mocker nut, pig nut, bitter nut, shell back, and shag bark or all types of this tree.
Speaker 7: You ever climbed up a shag bark with a climber?
Speaker 3: Hm? Not that I know for sure?
Speaker 4: Bet? How bet Hm?
Speaker 2: Nate, you got this one right? I think so, Brody, do you have this one right?
Speaker 1: I'm pretty sure I do.
Speaker 6: Okay, you know all those hints that Nate's trying to drop for everyone?
Speaker 7: Oh yeah, it's gonna be real close.
Speaker 2: Everybody ready for go ahead and reveal your answers, Yanni, says Hickory Sarah without an answer, Randall says, walnuts. He has cory, maple, Nate, hickory, Brody hickory. The correct answer is hickory. Nate's most hickory is produce a fruit at twig tips in clusters of three to five. These fruits are covered in a hard shell and husk. Hickorys have a long tap root that makes them highly drought tolerant. The Forest Service says, the states that produce the most hickory lumber are Kentucky, West Virginia, and Louisiana. All right, that makes Brody our winner today with nine correct answers.
Speaker 1: Wasn't that not a clap in the room?
Speaker 2: Just hammered the rest of the room. You could combine Sarah Randall and Cory and they only would have tied Brody today. What Sarah Randall and Cory? Sorry, they got nine combined? Well done, Brody? What do you gonna do with that five?
Speaker 1: We talked about the l a I. Let's throw it in the l a I.
Speaker 2: Okay, more money for the l a I. That auction house is happening right now. Go check it out. There's things from all dollar amounts available, plus way the punt gun hats which are just buy it now things, so those are first come, first service. Go get yours now at the medeater dot com slash auction. All right, we'll see you next week for more meat Eater trivia on the game show where conservation always wins.
Speaker 1: Yes, Spencer from South Dakota. He's the host, using those smooth mellow tones. He lays them questions down. He likes taking those two and three year old bucks. It is an avid amateur lock