Speaker 1: It's time for the b a q a a me a q a which is a q a wo man, dude, be aqute it with too today to be a.
Speaker 2: Qu a a.
Speaker 3: Hey man, I'm doing just fine.
Speaker 4: It's a little chilly this in between weathers for the birds. It's like freezing in the morning, how is hew during the day, chilli in the evening, then freezing in the like chili in the early evening, and you know, like super cold and it.
Speaker 2: I just don't know what to do. My body is going up downside to side.
Speaker 3: My trunk is just littered with like sweaters and hats and coats that get shed. But it's a beautiful day and I'm happy to be here with you. Your birthday party was air thing.
Speaker 4: I mean, first of all, I love that like that husband, I was like, not him coming outside.
Speaker 3: I know, there were several times that day I thought he wasn't gonna come acause he was annoying me.
Speaker 2: Like had it What did he say? Because I'm like, I.
Speaker 3: Asked him, I was like, what was it like being being out? And he said that he thinks he's forgotten how to be social, and.
Speaker 2: Because he seems social, you know, like no, he was he is.
Speaker 3: You know, I think he has some social anxiety just like I do. But it was very hard, I think, to be uncomfortable in your space with the kind of people that you had around, because just all felt like family, you know, yeah, like maybe you don't know everybody's name, but your all family. I got the cookout, you know what I mean? Yeah, Oh my god, the food.
Speaker 4: Nichia girl, when I tell you and eat s h a, okay, yeah, I'm gonna lie. People were eating things they don't even people are like, I don't even eat rab meat. And they was tearing down the ox, the oxtails.
Speaker 3: I don't even know if I've had an oxtail in the last decade. And I was like, Nicha made it. I'm trying it.
Speaker 4: I mean it was her and her sister naw just cook from such a place of love.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and they just become like family. But she made oxtail.
Speaker 4: She made turkey chops with I never had a turkey chops until I've heard of pork chop.
Speaker 2: I didn't. I'm like, what's the turkey chop? Delicious is what it is?
Speaker 4: Honeyglaze, salmon, jerk chicken. And then it was like rostapasta like it was an herb in something mashed potatoes per urban, but I don't even know it.
Speaker 3: Was mashed potatoes. The greens though, for me, it's always about the greens. Yes, the greens and the corn bread.
Speaker 2: Oh that corn bread literally me and you said it best.
Speaker 4: You were like, yo, the food is like the Thriller Like I think it was either you so somebody said it was like the Thriller album.
Speaker 2: No skips, Yes, really need that.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I kept looking for something that I didn't want to eat or that looked like it maybe be a little like, you know, like a throwaway for the vegans or something.
Speaker 2: Nope, but the corn bread was vegan and it was as skips. It was yesips.
Speaker 4: Honestly, this was probably one of my best birthdays ever from being honest, because I am learning that if you want something doesn't magically fall from the sky. Because some birthdays I'd be like, you know, I don't want any do anything, and then nothing happens, and then I'm sad. I'm like, well girl, you plan for nothing and nothing happened. This time, I said, no, how do you want your birthday to go? I'm like, I love Upstate New York. I go every year around this time because the foliage is.
Speaker 2: In full fall bloom.
Speaker 4: I did that for the weekend and then for my birthday on my actual birthday, and my sisters and I went to dinner, which was so great. And then I really wanted family and friends to come to the condo for the condo warming and plus birthday. I wanted good, delicious, niche of food, but I wanted a house full of love. And that's what I got. Just the most amazing people in my life. And just to see people who I knew didn't know each other talk.
Speaker 2: I mean I don't. I'm always really mindful.
Speaker 4: Well, everybody in mind is just awesome because I have curated all the nastiness out.
Speaker 2: If you're listening and.
Speaker 4: You're out, you're out, but just kind, loving, like I love how you and my childhood friend EJ had like she was oh my god, I had that same outfit.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, yeah, she's beautiful, yeah yes.
Speaker 4: And so like, I just love that that everybody there is just super kind, super great.
Speaker 2: And you know, even my my my boyfriend was there.
Speaker 4: Experiencing his own social anxieties. I was like, girl, please, everybody was great.
Speaker 3: I loved his fit. I was like that quilted bomber jacket and the lavender top, Like I was just like, Okay, I love this post gender conforming fashion.
Speaker 4: But it was just really great and I just loved have everybody there and plus like the place just came together so wonderfully.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it really did stunning to your interior designer, uh Rihanna of Rehome Remain Remain Home. Oh my God, and her husband. I know she did like so much of it though, but ps the resistance, I mean was the deck, core baby, the quality the furniture. I died a little bit when Terrell walked in with that plate of food into your living room and I was like rive out, Like I.
Speaker 4: Mean, even though you know, I made sure I scotch God damn, but you know, and I think.
Speaker 3: That's why we were all slipping and busting almost busting her. But I think you scotched guarden a little too close to the sun.
Speaker 2: I think I did because I was a slip and slide and that. But yeah, I was thinking. I was like, I think I cleaned the Floyds a little bit too good.
Speaker 3: Just have a little basket of grippy socks if you don't want a lawsuit. It's all like that, you know what I mean? I get your homeowner's insurance. It was great, it was.
Speaker 2: I know you guys have questions. I think our last question.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, we're here for that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so we're gonna take your Carrea questions question.
Speaker 2: I can you want to be the first one? You want me to be the first one? Oh? You go for it? All right?
Speaker 3: Got it from a jazzman Janz Jazz.
Speaker 2: It starts off with hey, hey, love that for her.
Speaker 4: I have a question for a future Baqa, which is now, please don't use my name, call me Jasmine.
Speaker 2: We love when you give us a fake name.
Speaker 4: I work in healthcare communications and it's something I fell into. I've been job hunting for a while and getting a few interviews, but never the final offer. All these jobs have much higher salaries that I currently make. Recently, we had a quarterly update where our top boss said, we know money matters, but we're working really hard to improve the environment because you stay for people, not money. Spoken like someone who is untouched by inflation?
Speaker 2: Am I right? Girl?
Speaker 3: Is he crazy?
Speaker 2: Anyway? Oh? She says, anyway.
Speaker 4: My question is how do I bring up to my direct manager that money is actually why I say okay, And is it possible to leverage interviews into a salary increase when it's clear that that's not a retention priority of the org. I'm open and eager to leave, so that's definitely an option. But with no office at the moment, I want to do what I can where I am for now. Thanks for your help, and I hope you have a very happy holiday season.
Speaker 2: Gas Man. I see you put your real name here, but gas is your name? That made sense? Of course it does. And anyway, yeah, so yeah, so much love to y'all.
Speaker 3: And yeah, so it's the holiday season.
Speaker 4: First of all, I just real quick, and I'm gonna you take it, Mandy, because this is the domain.
Speaker 2: Let me read that box for a moment. Is you crazy?
Speaker 4: I mean, what are we talking about? Not in Harriet Tubman's Internet. Are we talking about people working for free? It's giving slavery.
Speaker 3: I mean, I don't know about for free.
Speaker 2: I know, I'm just saying, I'm just this is yeah.
Speaker 3: This is when the HR girls in the back are like, god, damn, ben All it is just another ten Another time it's like I saying the wrong thing, out of touch with the people.
Speaker 2: We stay for the people. It's like, people have bills to pay? Are you crazy? So I just want to be them? And then the so, mandra, what do give jazz jazz?
Speaker 3: So my first bit of advice is, don't let this offhand remark that was made where your top boss says, you know, this completely like out of touch thing. Don't let it dissuade you from the facts of the matter, which is that obviously you're there for money, and so is your that boss whoever said that. So what I would do is, Oh, the point I wanted to make with interviewing is that you don't even necessarily need a hard and fast job offer to use it as a leverage for higher pay. Where you're at the fact that you have been interviewing, and that you have been interviewing and seen a string of opportunities that you're qualified for, and that you've been interviewing for that pay you significant that would pay you significantly more. That in and of itself is a piece of data that you can bring to your manager and say, hey, I you know, I would like to discuss my compensation. I've done my own market research through just you know, publicly available data that you can get online. But also I've been getting approached candidly by recruiters from other firms that are and I'm happy to share with you some of those job descriptions, but very similar positions and pay on average twenty five percent more or whatever the number is than what I'm making. Can we talk about getting my salary in line with the market value that it currently is? And I am sorry to this big boss of yours who said something so stupid, but retention salary like market value of someone of an employee and paying you properly according to the market value that is of the most powerful retention factor out there. And you one would hope that you could work with colleagues who are like respectful and not assholes, and that is nice for a company culture, but it's not. It's kind of it should be not. It shouldn't be something that you like. It shouldn't be so rare that you're bragging about it, like, well here everyone is great and blah blah blah bah blah. Well that's just how it should be. But what we can't take for granted is like, are you paying me my value? So I would keep interviewing for sure, and especially since we're heading into right now it's late October when we're recording this and heading into the end of the year season, I would put your case together for here is what I've been hearing, Here's what my market value is today. What do we what can we do to get my compensation to be more in line with what the marketplace is telling me that I'm worth. And just make it about the facts. And you don't need to bring up that conversation about your you know, your boss and what they said, And you don't need to say I'm here for the money. You just need to say the facts of I'm worth more money, so then pay it to me.
Speaker 2: The end.
Speaker 4: That was good advice, But that was hilarious what no I said? That was hilarious about the boss. Oh yeah, you know, people need money or whatever.
Speaker 2: And what I'm having is a.
Speaker 3: Bad girl but Kumbaya and a pizza lunch. Yes, no, save it, save it, save it, save it. All right, We're going to take a quick break and come back with another question from my favorite pseudonym ever, corporate Kisha.
Speaker 2: All right, ba fan, we are back.
Speaker 3: So we got a DM from corporate Kisha. I love this pseudonym. It's one of my favorite alias says we've ever had. Corpora Kisha says, I have been a longtime listener of your podcast, and I've gained so much insight. I'm reaching out because I'm currently in corporate law in a low cost of living southern state, but I'm considering moving to New York City. I'd love your thoughts on how to approach negotiating a salary increase and relocation package with my employer to make this transition smooth. I currently earn one hundred and thirty five thousand dollars per year. I save and invest actively with thirty five thousand in emergency savings. I contribute fourteen hundred a month to my four oh one K and five hundred to a broken account. Yes, ten out of ten.
Speaker 2: No notes.
Speaker 3: Given the higher cost of living in taxes in New York City, I'm seeking advice on a reasonable salary adjustment to maintain my current savings and investments, as well as guidance on what to expect from a relocation package. Thank you for all you do. Looking forward to your advice. All right, so let me get something. You're considering a move to New York City. Is it just for fundsies or is your company moving you to New York City? Because that's where it can get challenging in a big way, because if you're moving because like you just want to, you can definitely push for a relocation and compensation adjustment. You can ask for it. But if it's not the company itself telling you that you need to be moving to the new city, the likelihood that they'll give it to you is a lot less, Like I hate to bring that to you. And New York City is incredibly expensive. Why do you want to come here?
Speaker 4: Do you think that she should just interview for brand new jobs in general in New York with like the New York City budget to pay her that? Could?
Speaker 2: You know?
Speaker 3: That could definitely work. I mean, she doesn't say, she says corporate law, like, there's a good chance that they have an office in New York and it could be that she just wants to move to their New York office, you know. And if that's the case, then I think she has a better likelihood of getting a relocation package. And as far as like what to expect out of it, it could be that they pay your just the moving expenses. It can cost thousands of dollars to move cross country and technically south to New York City is kind of like cross country even though it's up and down whatever geography what. But you might get that relocation package. They may help you find an apartment, so they may give you access to like a realtor or a yeah, I guess you're still called the realtor if it's even a renter. You're helping renters find a place, but hook you up with someone a broker maybe who can help you find your first apartment. Moving expenses, but the compensation package, you would for sure want to do some you know, do some research into your company itself and like see if they mention anything on their website about cost of living adjustments for relocation benefits. That's typically like something that if it's an established firm, which it sounds like you work for, like the HR team's probably going to have like a structured plan for how we determine like or do cost of living adjustments. And they may say, okay, based on this new office and cost of living, here's the expected salary increase and here's where when it would go into effect. But as far as like being able to negotiate on top of that, that gets a lot trickier. So it may not be that you can save exactly as much as you're saving, you know, however much they decide to give you a month, like they decide what you know, they'll look at probably the Department of Labor and and like other sources to find out what the standard costs of living are where you are, but to to guarantee you'll have enough room in your budget for this generous savings you know, strategy that you have and investing strategy that you have. They're not gonna necessarily think about that or guarantee it, so that that's going to be up to you to figure out. Okay, do that makes sense?
Speaker 2: It does?
Speaker 3: I mean I think I was just word vomiting.
Speaker 2: No, And I don't know.
Speaker 4: If you've been to New York before, you might want to spend a little extra time before making the move move.
Speaker 3: I mean, like I also moved up here, but I didn't move with a job. I mean I did move with the job that I did have a salary when I moved up here, but I didn't like relocate within the same company. Hmm. But the outer boroughs are where it's at if you would like to save money, but then you have to factor in like your transportation. Yeah, there's all sorts of things, but I would never like, I'm not at all going to be one of those people who's like New York City has closed, you can't come here, Like, no, come on.
Speaker 2: Girl for Atlanta. Atlanta is like I'm tied god. Yeah. And also two they're I mean there are you know, people be.
Speaker 4: Talking back about Jersey, but I live here and I'm Winny. So yeah, no matter where you go, it's you know, there you are basically, so you know, I just want you to go with like all like the what is it going to cost?
Speaker 2: What does actually look like?
Speaker 4: And then also adjusting expectations there are you know, there's a difference like I don't know, if you live at a home now you're likely to be living in an apartment, you know, is it a walk up? It's different like moving from the house of the condo. There's definitely some things I'm like, wait, so how do I do groceries because I parked here, but the interest is here, so I had to buy one of them little carts you know.
Speaker 2: Oh I know.
Speaker 4: I was like, I'm a cart lady, which is actually kind of fun because I'm twelve.
Speaker 2: But then you know, before you know, you take it to groceries and you're like, oh, two three trips? Anybody got time for that? We all going together.
Speaker 4: So there's just the adjustments. And then also too, like I said, if you live in a house, I mean, thankfully, my neighbors are pretty quiet, but then you know there's you know, especially New York. I'm not gonna lie. When I visit my friends, I'm like, so all night long, oh every day, can SI getta?
Speaker 2: Well?
Speaker 3: Listen, my neighbor plays very loud Philippino, So I guess that's what's the tug along anyway? Yeah, not tag along, tag along, but it always looks like that. I know. I read it the same way Christian gospel music, which is a very specific flavor of music, and they sang very loud. And I have a house, so.
Speaker 2: Wow, So yeah, there's always you know this. You take the good, you take it back, you take both of you have the facts of life? Are you too young for Facts of Life?
Speaker 4: On the show, you're too young for that, right, huh?
Speaker 3: Anyway, if you as that was the one that regime was on, and then she went to living single.
Speaker 2: Uh, oh yeah, oh look at you. Yes, her name was Yes, she was like a little girl too d. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Oh man, I can give you it'sic we connected to living single like then I will find a way.
Speaker 4: She was very young, like sixteen seventeen, you know, she played two D and then Yes, I mean that wasn't the transition.
Speaker 2: It wasn't like bye, now you're living single. No, it was just she played on both.
Speaker 4: But yeah, that song, the lyrics, it's just you take the good, you take the bad, you take them both, and then you have the facts of life.
Speaker 2: So just being mindful of that, and if you have questions about career.
Speaker 4: Business, money, entrepreneurship finances, you can ask them because every Friday we do be a QA. You could slide in our dms on ig, which is probably our favorite place. We are broad and Vision Podcast, or you could email us at Branna Vision Podcast at gmail dot com. We can go to Brown and Vision Podcast dot and click contact us and it will land in our inbox.
Speaker 2: Either way, ask ask, ask.
Speaker 3: Away and we will answer answer or answer away and reminder to go to Brandnemission podcast dot com and please fill out our listener survey for twenty twenty four We've already got like fifty incredible BA fan who have responded, and thank you the thoughtful replies. I promise you I'm reading every single one. And really it's just an opportunity to like get to know what you guys are dealing with right now and also what you want for BA in twenty twenty five.
Speaker 2: Because we got to change and leave us a review. That's how people Yeah you us, You know, do we get any new ones what we read or no?
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, I can't want somebody.
Speaker 4: So if we leave U some review, especially on the Apple on the Apple site, yeah, it just means that we get boosted. People get to see us here. So we have so many reviews and maybe.
Speaker 3: Are going to find our reviews when I don't have access to charitable anymore.
Speaker 2: I know.
Speaker 4: That's why chartable is going out of business, right, Okay, thanks suck.
Speaker 2: Really to change is.
Speaker 4: Oh, because I know some of you guys canna ask me sometimes you guys be asking me my lip color?
Speaker 2: This is rich Aunty? Is this rich Auntie?
Speaker 4: Yes by lip bar a black own brand, but the liner is Nars some purple dark color.
Speaker 2: I don't remember what to call.
Speaker 3: The way that we have put yes, and so people like ba fam who came to the show where we're also wearing rich Aunty. I think we have talked about it many a time, but it is the perfect color. I feel like it's like the sister here of the Traveling Pants, but for lip color for women of color.
Speaker 4: I think, look, you know you can like depending on you, you know, you know, like you might not. I'm a lip linder girl because I've got dark lips naturally, so like I liplind to, like you know, make it and make it my own. But I feel like every rich Auntie looks good on all the skin tones.
Speaker 3: Yeah, okay, we do have a couple of newer views. Okay, so I think g Sella when g Sellar o MG says five stars, it's educational, comforting, They're hilarious. What else can you ask for, Ladies, You've helped me be financially whole, even if I'm still a work in progress. The love and vulnerability give me great comfort when I'm feeling a little extra vulnerable myself. It makes situations a little more human for me. Thank you for being friends. Oh and then so so T says love with seven o's love you, ladies. Hey, Mady and tif First of all, you get ten stars because you're both amazing. Thank you for being authentic. There's so much that I want to say, but just know that I'm rooting for you both as you root for us Brown women. Also, please have another live event, as I couldn't make this one. I'd love to meet you and tell you in person how much your advice have meant to me over the years. From so so, she says her name is Solange. Ye, thank you, Solange. Hey, sister, Oh behave fam What can we say? Just it's love, It's all love. Thank you so much. I can't find my tab where I'm actually looking at Tiffany, so I don't know what Okay, I have so many browsers open, and I don't know where I am anymore. Oh, there you are.
Speaker 2: I V A fan.
Speaker 3: Until next time, have a great day. Thank you for listening.
Speaker 2: Bye y'all, Bye,