Speaker 1: Today's guests may be most recognizable in the white tail space. He grew up in the Bluff Country of southeast Minnesota, where he became obsessed with everything outdoors. He spent all of his extra time bass fishing, turkey hunting, upland hunting, and of course, deer hunting. Tony Peterson took his love of deer hunting and eventually turned it into an outdoor writing career, a profession he kicked off in his mid twenties after becoming the associate editor for Peterson's Bonehunting magazine. Later, he earned the role of equipment editor for Bonhuert Magazine and Bowhunter TV. In more recent years, Tony joined up with me Eater to produce content including articles and podcasts under the Wired to Hunt brand, as well as shows like Back forty and One Week in November. Listeners will likely know of Tony if they are into white to hunting. Public land is He was one of the pioneers that thrived at killing big bucks on public ground. He has aired a pilot Good Bucks on Public Ground in multiple states and is considered one of the nation's top authorities on hunting pressured gear. But that's not why we have him here today. He also happens to be one hell of a turkey hunter with countless shotgun and boat tip turkeys do his credit. He's a wealth of knowledge on calling long beards, especially long beards that have received a lot of hunting pressure, which is what we're going to get into today. Welcome to the show, Tony.
Speaker 2: Thanks for having me. Man.
Speaker 1: How's everything going.
Speaker 2: It's pretty good. It's pretty good.
Speaker 3: Getting ready for turkey season, so that's always exciting.
Speaker 1: How's the spring shaping up where you're at.
Speaker 3: You know it's coming in real slow, but we're getting there now. And you know, my focus right away is always to get my little girls. I have twin eleven year old girls and their turkey hunting fools, and so we scout and get ready for them hard, and then once they fill their tags, then I start to play around a little bit. But that's always my focus.
Speaker 1: Now, do you guys have a youth season there where you're at for the girls?
Speaker 3: You know, in Minnesota, we don't. They just they get to hunt the whole six weeks of the season. But I do take them over to Wisconsin where they have a weekend.
Speaker 1: That's a youth so nice. So Wisconsin and Minnesota this year. You have more on the docket for turkey hunts this year, just those two states.
Speaker 3: For the girls, those two states myself too, and then I'm gonna I'm gonna head down to Nebraska. And I also drew an Iowa tag this year, so I got a few tags.
Speaker 1: You'll be busy. Nice, nice. So yeah, it sounds like diehard deer hunter, but just as much.
Speaker 3: A turkey hunter is deer absolutely, and it doesn't I don't you know, I'm going down to Iowa. I'm hunting public land down there. I'll be scouting deer, you know, the Nebraska thing. I'll be scouting deer. So it's it's always yeah, you know, the primary focus is, you know, kill a few long beards, but it's time in the woods man like I just love it. And I'm always checking out new spots and turkey seasons. So good for you know, kind of taking a flyer weekend and going somewhere because you never know you might find something worth going to deer hunt.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I love this Kansas piece. We always talk about going there to the turkey hunt is just as much fun, you know, getting ready for the fall deer hunt if I'm lucky enough to grab a tag, because you get to go into some areas that he won't let you in, you know, during during deer season, so you get to check some things out and learn the lay of the land and you know, maybe maybe give you some tips on where you're gonna you know, set a stand or where you should set a stand. So now I really like it. But uh yeah, now I'm excited for spring. Got Kansas, I've got Washington and then Idaho.
Speaker 2: As well, so I'll have nice yeah, nice.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Like every episode, we're going to start with some listener questions, and if you have questions for my guests or for myself, please email them to us at ct D at phelpsgame Calls dot com or shoot us a social message or anything like that and we'll try to get them on here. So the first question for you today, Tony, is defining a roose tree. We got a question a guy was wanting to know. You know, there's trees everywhere in the woods. Yeah, how do you define a roost tree or what makes an ideal group of roost trees?
Speaker 3: You know, that really depends what part of the season you're looking for it. You know, if it's an early season thing. You'll find that true turkey roost where it's it's someplace you know, it's gonna have big oaks or some kind of big tree, and it's gonna have some kind of terrain advantage, you know, where they can fly off, where they can tuck away from the wind. And then as the season progresses and it gets a lot nicer out that survival. You know, they're not worried about freezing to death up there. They don't need as much protection, and so they'll spread out. But you know, I mean always it's droppings, it's scouting is huge, you know, looking for those those spots. And then you know, I always tell people one thing you notice especially and you know, maybe like the first half of your season, you know, if you have a roost, even if it gets blown out, what you'll see those birds do, especially when they're flocked up, is if you have nasty weather come in, like we get a lot of fronts in the spring in different places, those birds are going to roost somewhere where there's a there's a real advantage to getting out of the wind. And so you think, you know, you get a crazy east wind or something and you're like, oh, they're going to be roosted where they're always roosted. And then you go there and that wind's blowing that up. They're gonna be somewhere else and you can almost call your shots. You can pull up on X and look at it and go, Okay, they could tuck in here and be out of that wind all night long.
Speaker 2: You'll find that. You mean, you see that in so many places.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, and that's I mean, you don't want to be too obvious, but you know, you got your scat, you got your feathers in those areas, you know, and the best way is you mentioned, is just to scout it, you know, locate. You know, we we learn of most of our roost areas just by locating at nighttime, you know, getting ready, and they're like, oh, they're in these same areas time after time. And it's different though, even different subspecies. And you go to the Midwest and if you're hunting Easterns, they seem to want to come back to a set group of trees as long as it checks all the box, you know, out of the wind. A lot of times those roost trees are just off of a ridge line. They can walk up the ridge, lion or walk and then they can pitch down into the tree without having to do a bunch of like laborersts flying up and just being off of that ridge, as you had mentioned, keeps them out of the wind. So big heavy limbs, they don't like to be shook around. So it's like, you know, it's I guess we're talking about what they typically like to be. And they can roost anywhere, right, but but typically like to be in those bigger trees, bigger you know, oak trees, big limbs, and not getting shook around here as much. And then when I go to hunt Mariam's round home, those things literally just roost where they end up. But similar you know, they're they're staying out of the wind, but they they they're they're not as likely to come back to that tree night after night after night.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I've seen it, you know, Easterns, like you mentioned, I've seen rios be real consistent too. But man, it's you know, like the first part of it is fine in all those droppings and where you're like, yeah, clearly they spend some time on that limb and that limb, but if you get away to watch them, if you know, if you can get out in the morning and listen for them whatever, that's great, But if you can watch them in the evening approach it, it's so valuable. See how see how they actually work their way in and then you know, okay, if I if I get in there where I would want to set up, they're gonna see me because they're going to have a visual advantage a lot of times. So being able to watch turkey is so huge.
Speaker 1: Yep. Yeah, So listener question number two. I'm new to turkey hunting and I can only take one week off to hunt, which there's a little nuance, right. We talked a little bit before the podcast because some seasons have already been going for over a month, you know down south, some of our northern states, a lot of states open on like an April fifteenth opener. You know, some youth seasons mixed in there. So we'll have to you know, take it with a grain of salt. But in your opinion kind of what's the best time to be out there if you had to pick, like a one week.
Speaker 3: If I'm hunting a place that nobody else can go into, give me the first week. If I'm hunting a place where you know I might be the third one in line. I always try to time it around like a real green up, because you know the flocks are going to split up. You know, those hens are going to go start eating bugs and some fresh greenery, and those times are going to follow them, and then if you can time it, you know, for years in Minnesota, one of my favorite times the hunt was when the walleye opener happened. Nobody wanted to you know what I mean. And you see that in other states. So there's it's kind of Turkey season a lot of times sort of follows the deer season, like at least the bow season pattern where there's a bunch of activity right away and then it kind of dies down and then as the clock starts to and toward the end, you'll see people start to get back out, and so there's there's usually a middle.
Speaker 2: Ground there that you can find.
Speaker 1: Yep. And I'm similar to you. I I love hunting that first week if you had if I had private, I'd be out there that first week for sure. You know, I think your likelihood of calling those toms in's way better. But in Washington, public ground hunting, like we do, you get a week of every single chunk of public ground is occupied. And then if you go the second even into the third week, you're kind of in that hind up phase where everything's locked down. Sometimes they won't gobble, they won't they just they will not come to a call and you so you're kind of fighting that I've always liked in Washington, Like May tenth, it's getting pretty late in the season, but we're starting to get the majority of our hens bread and on eggs all day and away from him and so, and that's to be honest, no matter what, you know, if you want to kill the three or four year old birds, like I've always felt like mid May for us in Washington and some of your best timing, it's just those birds are lonely after nine o'clock and you know you got them all to yourself.
Speaker 3: So yeah, that's that's a big thing when when you're talking, you know, it used to be just like everybody's like, oh, I got to kill my bird off the roost, and it's like that lunch shift is when those birds go looking, and especially when you're talking May.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you might not. You have to push through a little bit more. You're not gonna probably as much goblin as much action. At times, it's a little things have slowed down a little bit. But man, as far as like likelihood of harvesting a more mature bird later is good. So I guess we didn't really answer that question wholeheartedly. But it's just there's always good times to be out there. But uh, I don't know, I don't know if there is a perfect week to be out there. But yeah, like you said, no pressure early for sure. You know, we just completed our Washington youth season and guys were just moping, you know, they were. It was just great. These birds haven't heard calls yet. They're super callable. And then you know it's gonna progressively get slower a season.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Well, I mean that's a that's another good point for somebody who's just starting out.
Speaker 2: How confident are you in calling?
Speaker 3: You know, because if you can get out there and and really call right away, you get the most birds to work with. It haven't been pressured. That's a good time to go, but you know you got to you gotta have some confidence, you know what you're saying.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, for sure. And then our last we got a third listener question or in our last so a new hunter wanted to know consitting sign be effective or productive. And once again, I think we need some more information. But I'll go ahead and let you answer and we'll add on to it.
Speaker 3: I mean, I you know, I only bow hunted turkeys for like ten years.
Speaker 2: I kind of went through that phase.
Speaker 3: And you know, when you're committed to a blind and an all days sitting, a spot sign is everything, Like I want, I want to know they're using a spot for some reason. And we're kind of we're kind of used to thinking about turkey on it is like just get out there, listen for a gobble and go Yeah. But you know, unless you have a lot of land to roam, like, that's maybe not the best strategy in a lot of places. And turkeys are so patternable. I mean they it feels like it gets wild, kind of like the white tail rut, Like you're like, oh, they're just all over the count. No, there's a method to their madness. And Tom's are super predictable and so we're hens. And so if you've got a place where they're scratching, you know, if if they were there today at ten o'clock, they're gonna be there.
Speaker 1: Tomorrowlock unless something bold, Yeah, as long as they're not disturbing.
Speaker 3: So I mean, and the thing is, you got to think, okay, well, you're the easiest place to find sign is out in the open, right, like on the egg fields or whatever. And you know that's great, But I look at it and go, I want that, but I want to know where they're looping through the woods on a circuit where they're scratching somewhere that's in the cover that's not so obvious. And you start piecing those together and then maybe you've scouted those roofs like we talked about. Now you're like, okay, I've got places to be, and then you just got to give them time.
Speaker 1: Yep. And and it's kind of funny. I never every year we go through this progression where I don't relearn that until about day three. You try to go in. You've tried to force your plan that wherever that bird's at and where if you're set up, you're gonna call it to them. And then by day three you're like, all right, this is obvious to see. You know it may work, but it's not working as effectively. Like we know the pattern of these birds, let's not force this whole call scenario to us. Let's just go and it's way more effective. And I'm saying, this is a guy that loves to call turkeys and makes a living, you know, sell them calls for turkeys, but patterning, you know, it's it's almost like the ambush style and elk cunning. I'll all always say that you're going to be way more successful in calling that bowling if he's already doing what he wants to do and only has to come a little bit, versus like make them do what they don't want to do.
Speaker 3: Every animal man, And I mean that's the turkey thing. When you're talking about sign and calling, it's a proximity thing, you know, just like with elk. You're like, if you're one hundred yards away from a bull, he's a hell of a lot easier to call in than if you're across the canyon. And turkeys are the same way. Yeah, they're going to answer you, But if you're where they expect turkeys to be and you're you're damn close to their route, it's totally different game.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: All right, So that wraps it up for listener questions once again, if you have questions of your own for me or my guess, please email us at CTD at polpsgamecalls dot com. I'm we'll do our best to include them. So now we're going to jump into some of my questions I had for you, just some conversations, some things we haven't really touched on. You know, we can kind of get stuck in this red of like regurgitating and like just having that circular conversation. There's only so many things you can talk about tricky hunting, So we're gonna jump into maybe some of the oddities or some stuff we haven't talked about on some of the past Tricky episodes. So one thing we just kind of mentioned some of the things that takes me till day two or three to figure out. But every spring you go out and you start to you know, you hear your first gobble and you're like, shoot, you know, whether you're in eastern Washington, where you're in Kansas, how far away was that thing?
Speaker 2: Like?
Speaker 1: Can I go another one hundred yards? Do I need to sit down here? It's one of those real difficult things to figure out, and there's a lot of uh, you know, factors that that factor into to a gobble. But do you have any tips for anybody going out there? Like how aggressive can you be? How so you know what's the best way to gauge that.
Speaker 3: Man, my hearing sucks. I had so many guns and guitars in my day. But I'll say this, especially for newbies, if they sound close, they're really close. And if they sound far away, they might still be close. And so I get real cautious because if you go running gun and chasing gobbles when they're lighting up, I mean, you're gonna learn that you're gonna bump.
Speaker 2: You're gonna bump over that.
Speaker 3: I mean it just and so and sometimes you know, especially if you spend It's different for me when I'm scouting birds and I'm photographing them because I'm not I don't care about getting into kill them. So it's like I learn a lot about how far away they are and how far they sound because I'm not making an hunter mindset. I'm just observing. And man, there's so many times where they sound far away and they're just not. And so I'm always like, you know, I know everybody wants to sprint across the countryside and get seventy five yards away and set up, but I always just assume they're closer, and I always assume that if I go sneaking in on this bird, unless I've got like an obvious like if there's a bluff or something and he's on top, like they're gonna see me better than I think, And even with the woods greened down and everything. So I'm I'm pretty cautious that way, and i'd rather especially, you know, if they're sounding off and you can throw an owl food at him or something, it's like you don't have any reason to go rush, and like work it out a little bit, and you almost can guarantee that if there's a bird goblin at you there, he's probably not alone. I mean, you might have run into that two year old it's or what like they might be alone, but a lot of times they're not. And so you're now you're working in on not just.
Speaker 1: Multiple sets of eyes exactly. And one of the things, like the biggest eye opener for me is is you're working a bird, as you mentioned, But we've I don't know if everybody's been there, but I've been there multiple times where we're on the edge of a field and there's a bird out there two hundred yards away, and that thing sounds if he gobbles away from me and then turns and gobbles at me, like I would have just lost all kinds of money on on how far I thought he was. But it's literally, you know, maybe a three x magnitude and difference on what I thought that distance was. Just if he turns and gobbles the other way versus gobbles towards me. So I've already got that against me. Now we've got if he did that same thing and the wind was at his back versus in his face. You know, what's the wind doing where I'm at? You've got fooliage. You know, early in the spring gobbles are going to travel a little bit farther is it starts to really green up and get thick. And now, you know, so all these things play into But I think you hit the nail on the head earlier with your comment of you just always play it a little more cautious. There's if he's gobbling, he's obviously still there, and as long as he's still there, you have a chance. Versus if you go and bump him and spook him, you're now dealing with a you know, a buggered up bird, real hard to deal with at that point, once him or his hens get you know, spooked, it's it's gonna be tough.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And I mean I think in that situation too, a lot of people talk themselves into going because they'll have that bird that'll they'll hit him every time, but he's not coming and they get impatient, and man, I mean, you can kill him that way. But I always look at that, I'm like, if I have a wild turkey talking to me, I'm doing just fine. And you know how you know, it's kind of like elk, Like you know, sometimes there's just one that slips in from somewhere else or suddenly they just come in. And so if you've got one and you're like, oh, he sounds like he's two hundred two hundred fifty yards away, I'm like, man, if he's calling to me, unless I have a real terrain advantage to get closer, I'm like, I'm just gonna work him until he makes the decision.
Speaker 2: Yep.
Speaker 1: Yeah. And then you start to throw in ridges and like open ridge tops, and you know, up and down that turkey's moving or he turns around, it just it becomes very difficult and no matter how good you are at it, you you potentially could get it wrong unless you can really read the situation. So just yeah, always be cautious. I think it's a safe play and approach with caution well.
Speaker 3: And I mean that's one of the things I've been writing about this a lot lately, is the better you get at calling and the more confident you get, the less you feel that pressure to just put yourself as close as you can, you know. I mean when you talk about a bird like that, you know you run into that lot with pressure birds. If you hunt a lot of public land birds, you'll get those birds that just hang up. They'll tell you where they are, but it's like you really got to give them something special. And so if you can work two calls at one time, you know, and make it sound like two hens meeting up and cutting hard, and or just give them something different, sometimes that's all you need to break them to you. But just going to them is so often that does not go well.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So once again, just be cautious. And then it's it's really a skill. It takes a lot, and even no matter how many birds you've listened to, still can get it wrong. So jumping into our next question, one, thing we don't talk a lot about but does play a significant factor. But we we also don't think about it a lot while we're hunting, especially in Washington where we have water and a lot of places. You know, how does water affect your turkey hunt? It's it's different than an elk and a wallow or you know elk that need to go to water every day. Turkeys can get it in different places. But they also will use, you know, water for different reasons, for feed, for green up. What do you how do you think about water in relation to spring turkey hunting?
Speaker 3: And you know, I've I've killed birds in like proximity to water and Texas and places where you're like, I think they're going there to drink. But I use it more, you know, because we a lot of the states I hunt. You'll get a turkey season that opens up and you might get snow, I mean you and so the wetlands are full, you know, and those birds do not like getting their feet wet unless they have a real good reason. So if they're if they're just traveling point A to B and scratching or whatever, they're gonna avoid water. And so I've I spend a lot of time setting up blind, especially for my daughters, where I'm like, there's a swamp here and there's a cattail slew there and this is the high ground. I mean, kind of like you do a deer and you know, they don't always do it. Sometimes they'll fly across, but if they can walk, they can. And so I mean water is a factor in a lot of stuff. And then I mean, I've seen this too, and I don't really know what's going on, but it's almost like there's a little micro climate around that water first, you know, so when you don't have anything else green in the woods, sometimes you can go and see turkey scratching up on the edges of water. It's like they're they're finding something there that they're keying on. And so there's a you know, you might look at it and go, well, they're just walking around this edge. They're not if you watch them or you you know, you might think, oh, they're going down there to drink when they got water everywhere, and so there's there's things like that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think I think the the amount of bugs around that water too. You watch them out there bugging as their feed in the middle of the day. I think they there's just a lot more bugs near the water than maybe away from the water, you know, if we're talking about like the same feed in comparison, so they may be going down there getting into better food, you know, better bugging area from the feed. But yeah, so you're basically saying you can treat that water as almost not necessarily a funnel, but it almost condenses them to like a more narrow path, Like their routine is gonna be a tighter path because they're not gonna want to be in the swamp. They're not gonna want to be next to the water. I'm sure you're gonna kind of choke them down to some of these areas so they can maintain the high ground.
Speaker 3: It's absolutely a funnel, I mean. And and this is you know, this is another crazy theory too, when you talk about you know, bugs and water. I do a lot of duck photography in the spring, and I'll watch hawks set up and you know, you think, like nothing out there eats toads, right like you might have a dog that'll guma tode up and salivate for a while. And I'll watch certain hawks flying and just keying on those toads and pick them up. And I always watch those turkeys work in those swamp edges. I'm like, are they they you know they'd grab a frog? Yeah, I mean you know they would. And I'm like, are they keen? This probably sounds so stupid, but I'm like, there's something there. You know, it doesn't really look like they're catching something, but if it was cold enough, it probably wouldn't be that, you know, probably wouldn't look that crazy.
Speaker 1: Yeah. And so then towards later season is some of these you know, wetlands and areas dry up, then you almost lose your advantage. You know, the advantage you had of necking them down or funneling them is because now they've got you know, basically more real estate that they they're not afraid to walk through, or or that green up's changing, right, the green up used to be on the edge here will now the edge is receded back, you know, one hundred feet, hundred yards whatever it is, and so now they it's basically opened up their path. So early on you can take advantage of some of those higher water levels and neck them down. So that's an interesting point there. So one thing that's really hard, and I've tried to rewind my brain when this question kind of came up, or I was putting it together for you. Is because once you kind of got your understanding of turkeys, you just kind of know what amount of sign is enough. But let's say you're a brand new hunter, your brand new turkey hunting. How do you know when you go to scout property if enough sign is there? If that makes any sense, you know, like we've been there enough, we just like, oh there's enough scat, there's birds, goblin, whatever. But for a new hunter that maybe just doesn't have it figured out yet, you know, there might have been one bird on there a year ago, you know, and that's a sign that you see. What would you look at and when would you be comfortable enough that there's enough sign on this piece to hunt it?
Speaker 3: It depends how fresh it is. And you kind of alluded to this earlier. You know the good thing about spring in most places, you're gonna get some rain and you're gonna get a fresh you know, like a clean slate, and you know it might only you might only have to find a fresh set of tom track that you know was made this morning, and that's all you need to set up on that login road tomorrow, or you know, if you haven't had any rain for a while, it's a little drier, and now it's like, okay, I know the sign I'm looking at might be a couple of days or a week old. Then you want as much as possible, and so I always try to. It's kind of like with white tails, like, oh, you know, you find a bunch of rubs, that's great, Like I want to see what's going on too, So that's like that's the starting point. So if you go out there and you're in that corner of the cut, you know, cornfield or whatever, and you see some you know tracks and some you know turkey droppings, you're like, okay, this it seems like there's a concentration here. If there's a way to back that up with observation, then you win because now you know and I mean, you know, the good thing about signing the turkeys laid down is you know they did it in the day, so at least you have that to work. But you know the other thing to do. And I know people they don't think about this very often, but if you're working, if you're like on a small property like a lot of us in the Midwest and the East Star running trail cameras for turkeys is almost cheating, Like it's it's crazy ey, how dialed into those patterns you can get them and see with a trail camera. So it's if you're like, if you're new to it and you're like, I don't know what these tracks mean, Like if you have a trail camera, maybe put it out, or it's better to go out and glass if you can, because you know, in person observation is way better. But there's ways to just kind of go, Okay, now I know what's going on here.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I would consider that question a little bit more like pre pre scouting, Right, you're out there February before they're goblin, before maybe they've broken you know, there's still maybe in their winter flocks. But ideally the best way to proof it is boots on the ground. You know, those those turkeys are gonna start goblin early March, at least where I'm at. You know, they've been gobling for the last well by time this airs, you know, two months, so you should really go proof it when those birds are there and as they start to break up, you know, into the end of March or middle of March, wherever you're at, just go proof that that ground is going to hold turkeys during you know, the spring. And and the best way to do that is Tony mentioned, you know, put eyes on them, put eyes on the or just go locate on that, you know, go spend the morning there and you're gonna know, you know, probably by the middle of March, if if there's gonna be birds or not.
Speaker 3: And I would say the only thing to be careful with there, you know, scouting big flocks is the easiest, and the turkeys are so consistent until you get that real green up where the bugs are really a factor. And then those flocks are when they're done, like they're they're not flocking up anymore no matter what comes in. And you start to get you know, by nine ten o'clock in the morning when you're sitting out there and you see all those bugs kind of like when you're fly fishing, like you just know those birds are keying on that. And so you might have glassed a flock in the cornfield two weeks ago.
Speaker 2: And if that green up.
Speaker 3: Hits hard and it warms up and those bugs are out, they're gonna focus on that food source.
Speaker 2: And it's gonna change.
Speaker 1: Change, yeah, yeah, change it up real quick and next conversation. So it seems like no matter what, we can be you know, in prime best managed, you know, land in Kansas, we can be in eastern Washington where right now I feel like we're in that first twenty years of turkey r introduction, still like they've been there longer, but they're still in that like you know, predators haven't got them yet. They're still on the upswing. But it seems like no matter how many birds we're in, every once in a while, every season, you just run into that brick wall. And then sometimes that brick wall of no gobbling will stay up for a day. Sometimes it'll last a couple of days. You know, it's a lot of times triggered by whether it could be triggered up by them just being a hind up. What's your strategy go to there where you feel like I just seen a bird. I crow called out him, my alcohol at him, my turkey called out of my cut at him, and the thing doesn't answer, Like how do you get you know, how do you hunt with with purpose and with some confidence at that point? Because sometimes I just you know, I just get super frustrated, but I'm curious, you.
Speaker 3: Know, man, I think I think the main problem a lot of time turkey hunters have is the turkey sounds they've listened to are sounds other turkey hunters make, so they go to YouTube. And I'm not saying there's anything wrong with that, but when you listen to wild birds, it's like it's like being around a herd of elk. When you listen to how cows call and how they communicate, it's just different than listening to somebody explain it to you. And when you spend time around turkeys, there's we're so keen in on the loud noises right, like the loud yelping sequence, the gobbles, of course, But when you when you call in birds, the hens, and they come in close, even Tom's there's a language that it almost doesn't stop. And if you don't hear them make it, you don't know how to like, you don't know how to work on that. So I'm always I don't when I'm out there, I'm way too cocky. I'm like, there isn't a bird I can't call in, and there's lots of birds I can't call in, and trust me, I met them, But I always look at that and I go the bird, the bird that won't gobble at me. That's fine, Like you can still call in those quiet birds. And it's I always like just think of it, like there's something I got to figure out with my calling to win that dude over. And the more this, I mean, this was really like the primary benefit I felt when I bow hunted him for so long was you call in so many hens into your decoys and you get them going, and you start going back and forth and they're preening in front of you and you you're getting an education in the sounds they make when they're interacting with other hens, and the sounds they make when there's a tom close. And it's just like you just have more tools in the kit. And so I think, I think a lot of times we go out and we go, well, if I can't shot goblinm he's call shy or whatever, or if I throw him that that sequence of yelps and he you know, he looks but he doesn't hit me, then he's not workable. And I'm like, man, you got a lot more things you can do. And I think you know my thing, you know, you would think you hunt pressure birds, right, like you go down public land, and it's always like tied to subtlety, right like be quiet, make soft yelps, scratch a little bit. I find going the other way helps me a lot. Like I think a lot of those birds are out there and they go, I've heard these hens yelp and you know, purr and cluck and do all the little quiet stuff. But when you start getting fired up, especially if you can run two calls or you have a buddy to go back and forth with, now there's something interesting for them. And I just think a lot of your competition on pressure birds is going the other way. And they're like, I gotta they're not saying much, so I gotta be quiet, and man, I usually get real aggressive and at least then even if you don't call them in, they'll usually hit you or change their body language a little bit. And I think that's important. But it's a confidence thing with your calls, you know, yep.
Speaker 1: Yeah. And so as far as like do you continue, do you change up anything, as far as like running ridges and locating or like do you do you'd maintain like your same path you would take if they were gobbling crazy or do you ever assume that a bird's they are just not answering you? Does that affect like you do like cold calling setups where you just might set up for tons if things are just slowed away down, you'll just do a cold calling setup.
Speaker 2: And yeah, and you know I do.
Speaker 3: I do a lot of map work, like if I'm hunting a big chunk of public land, like I'm like, where where can I go? People probably aren't gonna go, just like the deer, and I'll do I'll do a lot of cold calling setups, but it'll be there'll be a reason behind it, like I'm I'm here because I think so, And then I try to give them like two hours. And I know people get real impatient if there's no birds going. But man again, you know, like we talked about before, it's proximity. And if you've got birds that are covering the countryside, even if they're not making noise, and I'm sitting there and I'm working and it's in a spot that has something going for it, you know, half hours isn't enough time, Forty five minutes isn't enough time. And you know, I just think about how often you you know, especially when you're younger, and you're you're just gung ho and you stand up and you walk twenty yards.
Speaker 1: Birds flush everywhere all the.
Speaker 3: Time, man, And so I just try to be like, Okay, I'm I'm going to commit to this spot. I'm gonna make it comfortable, and I'm going to give it, you know, like, and I will tell myself, like, you are not leaving here. It's it's noon, and you're not leaving here till two, no.
Speaker 1: Matter what set your clock to it. There's no that I'm gonna jump ahead a few because it's a great segue into patience, which is something I don't have much of, but you have to. I mean, I've I've learned and I've been told by the turkeys, as you mentioned multiple times, that patience is one of those things that's actually to your to your advantage when turkey hunting. You know, how long can you sit still? You know, me just wiggling, you know, forty five minutes into sit or a minute has cost me birds me you know, thinking I can do something that because there hasn't been any action, So when aside from me just setting a clock and is it just a gut feel? And how long you're gonna sit if the area is like cold versus lukewarm, like maybe you heard a gobble, you know, a half hour into the sites that like can you run us through? Like when you're gonna move aside from just setting your clock to two hours or is it as simple as just I'm gonna give this two hours because I think that's the right time, or that's how big this area is, or I.
Speaker 2: Just have to force myself.
Speaker 3: And this is this comes from the dear world, right, and I mean partially that and bowl hunting turkeys where it's like, you know, I've done a lot of dark to dark sits and blinds bowl hunting turkeys and you get you know, you might have six hours of down time and then you look out and there's a tom coming, you know. And so for me, I think that, you know, one of the things that just kills so many people's success is they're just impatient and I see this, you know, this is in the white tail space big time. But turkeys, because people they're visible. People think they're gonna go strike one up or they're gonna go see one There's a lot of covering ground and not as much hunting, you know, guys out there. You know, you go hunting over the counter unit for elk in Colorado. You know, if it's the first week, you probably better off sitting on that water all day, even though most people can't do it right. And turkeys, I think we just don't give them enough time. And you got to think, you know, sometimes these birds, you know, we all love that bird that runs in, right, A lot of them don't, especially when it's greened up and they've had some pressure.
Speaker 2: They just need time yep.
Speaker 1: And and the other thing that I've noticed, just after doing it a lot, no matter how brushy we it is, I feel like I've got like better than normal eyesight and can pick things up that are unnatural. And we've had birds coming in where I know there's a bird within eighty or ninety yards and I can't pick the dang thing up, and you know that little head's bobbing around, and so it's like, be patient, don't move, only move when you know, when when you absolutely know, because we've all taken those risks like getting our gun up or turning where we think the bird's gonna come. And and you know, that kind of tags on to the patients of time, but it's like they're so good, and it's it's seeing you, seeing movement, seeing any of that that you know, being patient, only moving when you can it is going to be to your advantage because like you said, I've I've flushed birds by getting up after half hour. I've I've got birds to run away because I've you know, moved my knee at the wrong time. Yeah, patience goes a long way when turkey and you know, being just being comfortable. That is one thing me and Jordan talked about last last week on the podcast was becoming as comfortable as you can under the tree. We've actually went to using foldable like low sitting chairs just because we can sit there for hours and not have to move, and it's it's as stupid as a little chair would seem. Has probably upped my odds, you know, fifty percent on those long caulums just because I'm more willing to sit there for long sits.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you got to be comfortable, Yeah, I mean, if you need to pop out a little blind or whatever, it's so important if it'll keep you there.
Speaker 1: Yep, yep, for sure. So I want to talk about patterning off the roost back when I was younger, maybe a little more bloodthirsty. One thing, every morning we needed to kill the turkeys that we sat up on, you know, we we sat up on those so we would literally chase those turkeys until we bumped them or kill them. It seemed like every time. And so one thing is we're getting older, is more patterning off the roost. If you have time available within the hunt, you know you have five six more days, do you ever pattern off the roosts? Like these birds sat here, they went this way. I'm gonna take that a the learning dam. I'm gonna leave them alone. I'm gonna listen to them, I'm gonna show them, but I'm never gonna get close enough to bump them and then use that against them on the following day. And how important that can be, you know, for your excess, especially on public ground where you're you're finding you know, maybe not as many birds as you want. And that's really your only play.
Speaker 2: All the time.
Speaker 3: I mean, that's I'm a scouter man, and I like observation, and so if I and that, I mean again, that's kind of the patient's thing.
Speaker 2: If you if you have to.
Speaker 3: Sandbag a day to kind of watch them and that's so hard to do with Turkey's because you can always move in on them. But like I said, you know, if you see them do something, as long as you know the conditions don't drastically change or somebody comes in there and blows it up, they're gonna do it tomorrow. And I think you know, when you talk about patterning off the roost, I mean that's you know that guys were preaching about that in Alabama fifty years ago, right, that's like kind of old school advice. I take it way further and I go, can you pattern them throughout the day? You know, because a lot of times they're not that killable off the roost. I shouldn't say they're not that callable off the roost, because they're gonna be following those hens and they're gonna play that game till nine and ten o'clock in the morning, and then you start getting a window on a lot of birds. And so yeah, it's great to know where they're gonna start and where they're gonna end.
Speaker 2: Up, super valuable.
Speaker 3: But if you also know where they end up at noon or you know, ten in the morning or two in the afternoon, then you're really putting something together.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we used to. Like I said you, I would for some reason justify the decision we would make that I think we can crawl to this point and cross that fence there, and then we'll catch back up to them and kill that bird, right because we've watched them all morning, versus I think as we've I've grown up as a trick Kennery like, well, they walked by that little pinch point on the ridge meadow or whatever it may be. You know, they walked by there, They're most likely you know it tomorrow, Let's just go back and have a sandwich, or go try to locate some other birds that we haven't. You know, we may not screw up and then go and kill that bird tomorrow because chances are, you know, as long as they don't get bumped and not crazy weather wind switches, they're gonna be back in that same area Versus me trying to justify how I'm gonna crawl through a field and go kill that bird when you know chances are under a percent. You know, before we before we do it, do it.
Speaker 2: But that's a rite of passage.
Speaker 3: When you're when you're starting out, you're gonna you're gonna get too close a lot, and there's nothing there's like no easier way to blow up a hunt, to get in too close to the roost in the morning. Like it's just it's hard, man.
Speaker 1: Yeah. So another great segue into cutting the distance. You know the name of the podcast and it's one of those things, is you know, to cut the distance. There's two ways that can be accomplished. One you either have the bird cut the distance or you use your own feet to cut the distance. I feel that cutting the distance as a turkey hunter is maybe you know, the highest level of achievement as far as like woodsmanship go. You know, yeah, they can't smell you, so you can approach from any direction. But as far as like getting caught, needing to use terrain vegetation to your advantage and not getting picked off is as tough as it gets while you're wild turkey on you, especially since there's multiple eyes. But in your opinion, like how close do you want to be before you start your calling? And you may have to add some context to that as far as you know vegetation what it allows, But what's your ideal like always closer the better? But but what's that like magic circle to that bird.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 3: I think, like you know, seventy five to one hundred yards is like red zone for a turkey, Like I think if you can get into that range, I mean I've had so many times, not a ton, but I've killed quite a few birds in my life where I heard them or I knew they were there and I got into as close as I was like, this is as much as I'm gonna risk it, and I'll scratch out a spot to sit and that's enough. I mean, they're coming because you're just you're there, you know, And it's so for me, it's it's, you know, pretty close. But you know, if you get to seventy five yards on a bird and you especially early season, you're in trouble a lot of times. And so it kind of depends if it's earlier late and I'm I'm not huge on pushing it too much, you know, like if I know there's a bird there and I think I can work him, I don't need to be super close, and so I would say just kind of again, be a little bit cautious. But sometimes the terrain lets you get right there, you know. I mean I killed a bird in Nebraska a few years ago with my bow. It was just strutting his ass off on a ridge top and he was I couldn't get him down to where I was. And I got up there and I got real close to that bird because I had a quiet way to get up there, and I called him over that ridge because I was like twenty yards away before I made a peep. And then you know, you're I mean, you're talking a little soft, you know, like real, You're not gonna blow his ears out here. But for that bird to walk over and look, you know, and if you can get to like fifty yards on him even you know, especially if you're gun hunting man, they're gonna give you your look like you're you're gonna get your chance, but you better be ready.
Speaker 1: Is there ever a situation where you feel like stalking the turkey is the right answer versus setting up and trying to call? Have you ever?
Speaker 3: You know, I I've killed birds that way.
Speaker 2: I don't like it.
Speaker 3: I mean, it's just it, you can do it, you know. I just love calling them, you know, I love I love that part of the process. And so that's that's part of the reason I bowl on them so much, is it's such an accomplishment to me, just get them, you know, like my decoys are seven yards away and I want them. I want them to buy the whole thing, you know, And so yeah, I mean you can do it, but it's you know, especially when you're out west and they're super visible, like that's a that's a possibility. But if you want to, if you want to really enjoy turkey hunting, you learn how to call.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I love calling them. But there was there was one bird where I had just got my ass whipped all morning. Right we were on six or seven setups. I had lost a couple of decoys because I didn't want to go grab them while I was still trying to stay with the birds. And you know, they had one of those nasty old boss hens that just drug them away from our setup every time. And as much as I'd rather call them in, like there was something satisfying about, you know, a flock of I think it was fourteen or fifteen birds, and I enjoyed it. But yeah, they're on public ground. It's always a little bit dangerous. Yep, you know, you're you're and but yeah, it's it's definitely a different challenge. But but I think I'm like, you'd rather call them in, And that leads me to my next question. We talk a lot about calling birds on and cutting distance, but can you kind of roll through kind of your calling system, Like is there a strategy you've mentioned in the past on public land sometimes you'll actually do the opposite of what you think call out or if you're hunting private birds, like just kind of go through your your calling system if there is one, or so.
Speaker 3: I like to unless I unless I know where the birds are and I know the birds I'm working, are you know they're three hundred yards away or whatever. Let's just say, if I'm running and gunning and I set up in a spot, I stop at a spot, I'm my god, is the spot? I'm always going to check them real quiet, like real soft yelps, a little bit of per and maybe just to see you know, because a lot of times you might not get a tom to gobble, but you'll get a hand to respond. And so they I mean, they almost always give you a courtesy yelp.
Speaker 1: Right, so not to stop you here real quick. So even if you think you're a couple hundred yards away, you're gonna go to Turkey calls versus using your locators anymore or or like, That's one thing I still struggle with is we think there's a bird here, I almost want to know where he's at. Again. Do you go to your turkey calls now or do you go to your locators?
Speaker 2: I don't.
Speaker 3: I go to my turkey calls mostly if I'm if I'm in a situation where I'm moving and there's times where I'm going to use a locator a lot. But if I'm just going through the states of the dead time in the morning and I don't have much going on, if I find a place where I'm like, I want to set up here, right for whatever reason, this is the spot, and I'm committed to it already, I'm gonna set up, and I'm gonna start soft, and you know, I'll ramp it up if I don't get a response after a while. But almost every calling sequence that I have that's a cold call, I'm starting off so off just in case, and then I never leave without doing a locator, you know, one more, Yeah, just going away, Yeah, just because you know, like you don't know man like that, he might not hit anything you make in that crow caller that awl who might get him, or you know, you gobble and the depending on where you're at, gobble with a mouth, callar whatever.
Speaker 2: But yeah, it just depends.
Speaker 3: But I always I always just assume, like, maybe there's one close and I want to, like, I want to know it, even if it's just a lone hen or something. I want to know they're there before I really ramp it up.
Speaker 1: So are you are you under the idea that you just kind of feed him what he likes? Are you going to start with real soft clucks and purrs and then kind of graduate are you going to always go to our seventh You know, we talked about the seven to nine note yop like is there? You know, we always talk about levels of threat when we're elk hunting. You know, we're we go in there. We don't necessarily want to. We do at times depending on the bulls demeanor leading up to that. But you know, we may rip his head off right off the bat, or we may like, let's try a cal cal, see if he hooks on that, and then if not, let's try an excited cal cal and if that doesn't work, maybe we'll do like a little moaning bugle, you know, and you kind of run these progressions because there is times no matter how much we get uh, you know, we get accused of biggling too much into aggressively. There are some progressions we run kind of what's your thought there? Are you gonna just kind of start like the lowest level or are you just gonna read the situation or what's the first peep coming out of your mouth? And how do you decide? Kind of.
Speaker 3: I start quiet, but I don't stay there very long. And if you know, especially if I've got a bird, I'm like that bird's hot, or I've got a hen that's responding. When I get a hen to respond, I go after her hard.
Speaker 1: I don't.
Speaker 3: I'm not a I get after it like I like, you know, because we always think, like you know, softer is always better, and I do like to start that way.
Speaker 2: But I like to have a conversation with them.
Speaker 3: And I think you I think you can turn them on, you know, like I think you get those birds that yeah, I'll respond, But if you're you know, three or five yelps and you're done, or you know, just just soft stuff like they're like, yeah, that's what turkeys do when they're not really doing anything. But you know, like you mentioned that, you know, boss hen leading that gobbler away. Like my favorite thing is when I get that hen to talk to me and I can piss her off up on her. Yeah, if you get that hen, if you get a hen that's that's angry and she starts cutting, you're gonna get a bird fired out, Like there's there's nothing better out there. And you know, I really learn this hunt fall birds because hens get real territorial in the fall and they'll come in and chest bump decoys. I mean, you see it in the spring too, but it's real common in the fall for them to get territorial over food sources. And man, when you get them going and they're pissed, the world changes. And so I mean, if you have a live hen doing that, that's great. But you can do that. I mean, I can do that with a mouth call on and a pot call and you know you can do it with a box call too, But you can make that like confrontation shou happen, and Tom's just freaking love it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm I'm with you, Like, there's nothing better than when you get a tom hooked on cutting, because then you know, like you're at the you know, you can just be as aggressive as possible, and you know when they gobble every cut, you're just like, the game's too easy. I don't want to say too easy at that point, but it's that it's way better than the bird where you're like, all he doesn't answer klucks, he doesn't answer it a yelop. You know, it's like you're trying to figure out what's gonna work, and maybe you know nothing does. But I'm I'm similar. You kind of start slow, but as you know, you run through your four or five different progressions and if none of them hook, you run back through them loud, and then if nothing hooks, you're just like, all right, I don't know what to do or it's gonna be a real tough bird to call him. But yeah, I think similar to you, we go loud real quick, and.
Speaker 3: I mean, but you're you're also at like a huge advantage if you can see them right, you know, cause I mean, you see this a lot where you know that, especially like a Loane Toms, you see us a lot where they'll come out in the field, they're scratching. You know, they'll throw you some struts, gobbles, whatever, like they're they're kind of doing the thing, but you can tell it's probably not the bird you want to just go after. He can see your decoys, he can hear you, and I go the opposite way with a bird like that, if I can watch him where then I do a lot of soft purring and clucking and just like little hen chatter back and forth where it's you know, if you're gun hunting. It's different with bowl hunting because a lot of times they won't commit right to the decoys, but you'll get that drive by and they'll be in gun range and it's one of those things it's just kind of like it kind of just like pulls them closer. Whether it's not that typical run in and just make it happen, but they're like, Okay, I'm gonna I'm gonna get closer to you.
Speaker 2: Ladies just cuts yep.
Speaker 1: And that's we could ask quite a bit like when do you just stop calling you because you hear a lot of you know, that's just as in my opinion, sometimes just as valuable as the calling, especially turkeys, and I use that no calling is when you've got a turkey that's not super fired up, not super interested, but it seems like he's closed some distance. I'll just go to like similar to you all setme, I watch for fifteen minutes. He obviously knows exactly what tree I'm under. When he gets to a certain spot, he's gonna be able to see my decoys. One thing I have to do is just make sure my gun's kind of pointed in this somewhat right direction, because he's gonna probably be silent as I'm silent. But yeah, you either be quiet and then either one he'll come all the way in silent or he gets he gets a little bit frustrated, maybe five, seven, ten minutes into that wait and I'll finally gobble again. And then it seems like you can get him fired up after that versus like just giving him. And so that's kind of when I'll use that silent treatment is when I think I got something semi interested, kind of knows where we're at. There's not a lot more calling needed. He's either gonna come or not, And then just go quiet for a little bit.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that that bird that lets you know he's there and is just doesn't feel workable. You just gotta let it breathe for a while and you know. I mean sometimes they come in, sometimes they don't. But sometimes in that situation, all it takes is another bird somewhere else, you know. I mean you see this a lot on a field edge where you're calling to that bird and he's strutting. He's not coming. He can he can see the decoys. He's like, you guys can see me. And then you know, two jakes walk out in the other corner or something. You know, something changes the dynamic and then all all of the sudden, you know, like now he's callable. But that is a you know, learning that, like you can't like you could tell people that like, oh you got to take a break, like that's like just an experienced thing.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, I have to put it through through a lot of time, Like you say, just just let it Breathe is sometimes gonna gonna get that that that turkey fired up even more. In closing, what is one tip you would give a turkey hunter to help them find success this this spring as far as like, you know, an idea theme, you know calling, uh, you know, perseverance, whatever it may be.
Speaker 3: You know, I would We talked a lot about scouting, but I I I honestly think what makes turkey hunters is just confidence with the calls. And so I would say I think everybody should know how to use a mouth call just because and you know whatever, people have their preferences, but I would say, if nothing else, figure out how to yelp well with something you know. And I like, you know, I like mouth calls for a lot of reasons, but I would say, learn something. Learn that, like you don't have to you know, purse clucks whatever, Like you don't have to do you can kill a lot of birds just yelping, but you gotta know how to do it. And it's it is not a sound when you listen to somebody yelp. You know, it's like a two note sound. And people listen to other callers and it's like too fast. The cadence is just a little off and they're not breaking that that note right, Like it's just like a one note, too fast cadence and it's unnatural. But you know, if you listen to somebody do it, it's like, okay, well it doesn't it sounds like a turkey whatever. Then you listen to a real turkey and you go, okay, they're a lot slower, and there's like a real distinct break in each yelp, And I say, just like, master that as best. You can work on it in your truck when you're driving whatever. Because once you get that confidence, you're gonna call in more birds. You're gonna hear them make real sounds, and you're just gonna your your vocabulary is gonna expand.
Speaker 2: But you got to have that confidence first.
Speaker 1: Yep. Perfect, Perfect, So, Tony, how can people find out more about you? How they can they follow along with what you're doing? Yeah?
Speaker 3: They can, Uh, you know, head on over to Instagram at Tony J.
Speaker 2: Peterson.
Speaker 3: And you know, I'm a meat eater full timer, so all of my stuff is at the medeater dot com writing tons of.
Speaker 2: Tons of Turkey articles right now.
Speaker 1: Perfect.
Speaker 3: But yeah, there's you know, there's a lot of good information out there.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, really appreciate you having on here, are having you on here today? Wealth of information both Whitetail and obviously Turkey.
Speaker 3: So we got to talk to Turkey, but we got to talk white Tales, but.
Speaker 1: We're gonna have We're gonna get you dialed up here for a white Tail episode for sure.
Speaker 3: Awesome, Thanks man, Thanks a lot, Tony,