Speaker 1: By the way, my dad likes eating pop tarts, but he doesn't know the names of anything, so he called it a jump tart. This happened like last week.
Speaker 2: Hey, when they're when they're in the toaster and they pop up, they jump.
Speaker 1: He also called a BlackBerry. I don't know if he called a BlackBerry a buck eye. He has a but he has a BlackBerry. And he goes, you know, these things are amazing, and I was like, yeah, but they're obsolete, and I don't know why you're charging it. And he's like, well, I mean, they're still incredible whether or not they're obsolete. Look at this thing, I mean, and and then somehow he said this buck guy, Yeah, he doesn't care.
Speaker 2: You're talking about the technology.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I thought you.
Speaker 2: I thought you were talking about there's a whole other plant.
Speaker 1: Who knows what he called pomp pilot.
Speaker 2: I wish I had a joke.
Speaker 1: I should have a punchline for that, but I don't.
Speaker 2: Hello the Internet, and Welcome to season three, seventy one, episode five of der Daily's Ice Stay production of iHeartRadio. This is a podcast where we take a deep dive into america share consciousness. We now have the YouTube channel YouTube slash at Daily Zeitgeist pod. You can go check it out. I think our episode from this week drops today, so go check it out. It's Friday, January seventeenth, twenty twenty five. My name is Jack O'Brien aka.
Speaker 3: Hem Baby Baby, Hem Baby Baby. My meat build up is killing me and I must confess the raw ham juice, raw ham.
Speaker 4: Juice, unknown meat. Read the dudes on the line, give me a sign large hand babies one more time. That's courtesy of you. Curn't do that on television. You curn't do that on television.
Speaker 2: Thank you so much. Also, sorry Steaming Chuck, author of yesterday's AKA for calling you steaming Chunk. I'm oh, this is gonna be happening more and more, folks. We just have to get used to me putting s's on the end of people's names, or you know, it's gonna be embarrassing. And I appreciate you all being along for the ride. I'm thrilled to be joined once again in our second seat, our miles seat, by a very talented writers, stand up comedian, and co host of The Bechdel Cast, one of the great film podcasts. It's Kaitlin Doronte.
Speaker 5: Actually it's Caitlin's Dorante's.
Speaker 2: You should have put that, Brad Pitts. So my dad calls him, Yeah, just kidding.
Speaker 5: It's me singular Caitlin, singular Durante.
Speaker 2: Caitlin Durante. Mid Atlantic. You're from the mid Atlantic region? Yes? When Justin asked if we were already recorded, yes, a very distinguished mid Atlantic way. I admire.
Speaker 5: Transatlantic, not mid Atland.
Speaker 2: I thought mid Atlantic. Maybe maybe it is transatlantic whatever the like hepburn thing is, Oh.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I don't know what's what.
Speaker 2: Like like a real sophisticate, But I don't know. It's not from anywhere so much as a time and an idea. So true, so true. Well he's been waiting patiently in our third seat. Hilarious stand up comedian, actor, musician, and you can listen to on his podcast Colebrew Got Me Like Anywhere in his book The Advice King Anthology is available anywhere fine books are sold. The poetry window is open because it's Chris motherfucking crafting.
Speaker 1: Hey, what's up? Yeah, how are you guys doing? What? Let's see if I if I could save Chris Crofton in a bottle. The first thing that I like to do save every day till eternity passes, so I could spend it with Chris Crofton.
Speaker 2: Oh wow, Chris crofton being saved in the bottle and my own.
Speaker 1: Aka's if I just bullshit, absolute bullshit that I do not have akas and I have to do these humiliating classic rock akas.
Speaker 2: Chris was fuming about the lack of akas, even though there's like tons of them in the discord by the way, for you for Chris Crofting, Yeah, okay.
Speaker 1: Hold on, I mean I can't do it. Clearly, I'm not even good at it. To be leaving me abandoning meat in my own ak k is when I'm horrible at it.
Speaker 2: I thought, don't heard it from a.
Speaker 1: Friend who heard it from a friend heard it from another You were, Chris Crofting.
Speaker 2: What's that?
Speaker 5: What's that chrisscroft song? Is there something there?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Yeah, Chris, I'm Crofting, warm it up, Chris.
Speaker 1: Hold different generations. I was like, oh, Christopher Cross, yeah, craft and take me away to where I'm going.
Speaker 2: This is the episode.
Speaker 5: Wait do I have? Does does anyone write a k's for me?
Speaker 1: Or am I That's a good question. That's what I feel like. It's not fair. There's Jack over there, all smug with akas like probably for days, probably.
Speaker 2: Scroll like a k as for a k days.
Speaker 1: No one calls my legs plumpers. No one does ship for me.
Speaker 2: I don't think that's true. I think there's a hit like. I'm sure there are probably at least five a ka's for each of you. Wow, in the in the discord.
Speaker 5: I mean a lot of people do anagrams for me.
Speaker 2: Yes, And then of course there's they do Yeah, Chris, I don't know if you knew this, but Caitlin is the most anagrammable name in the English language. Is that true? I mean it's it's very Titanic. Nine tit Dracula, Latin dancer, u t I.
Speaker 1: Oh my goodness, these are all good band names. Nine Dracula is a great name for a noise band.
Speaker 5: Or yeah, rules, I'll start one. Yeah, there's dozens others, dozens of others, and many of them have the word tit, taint, cunt uh nut like. It's a lot of dirty words too.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Wow, I'm gonna stay away from those. Then I can't say those anagrams. I can't how are telling you without being gees? So you can't say that kind of stuff to anybody, even if it is an anagram. Hey, guess what your anagram is? Content? You can't the people content, Dracula.
Speaker 2: That might be true, but I'm.
Speaker 1: Also calling the police.
Speaker 2: All right, Chris, we're gonna get to know you a little bit better in a moment. First, we're gonna tell the listeners a couple of the stories we're talking about later on, if we get to them. We are going to say rip to David Lynch who passed away yesterday. We might check in with Drake Suing his own record label, and uh, why the Village People will be playing at Trump's inauguration even though they said they were not gonna be all of that plenty more. But before we get to it, Chris, we do like to ask our guests, what is something for your search history?
Speaker 1: Well, you're not gonna believe this one. Uh, it's not gonna be something silly. If you've been listening to my Colbrew Got Me Like podcast, which is really it's been just nothing but good morning Got Me Likes. We're three days a week I do a podcast in the morning and just talk a little bit about my state of mind and read a poem and then play a song a little bit of a song to recommend a song. But if you've heard the last couple I've been talking about the ketamine treatments I've been getting, oh yeah, which you know, I didn't feel like I wasn't sure whether to, like, you know, how the podcast microphone could be like a truth serum. Like when I first started doing podcasts, I was like, what am I saying? I can't Why am I telling these people this stuff? Right? You know, like I you know, and I felt like maybe I shouldn't mention this ketamine stuff in case people think it's like, oh, he's insane, you know, But my depression has been a lifelong and I I take Zoloft. I've taken Zoloft for twenty years. I've tried various other SSRIs I do not They all make me basically nervous or have sexual side effects or both. And with Zoloft, it doesn't make me nervous, but I still have sexual side effects that suck, you know, especially, It's just it's just things that you put up with because I'm like, well, I'm I'm like I don't want to sleep all day because that's like sort of my My way of dealing with depression is I just can sleep, you know, for like insane amounts of time and yeah, like really surreal amounts of time. And I And that's like whenever you're thinking like depressions like fake, which I think a lot of people will have depression think it is, you know, because there's so many things going on in the world that could make you depressed. Now it's like if you have clinical depression as well, you start to say, well, I don't know, you know, maybe I'm just like I'm just a big complainer. Like everyone else is sad too, you know. I Mean, so there's a lot of ways to like sort of gaslight yourself about.
Speaker 2: Depression into think it's just a thing to get over on your own. Yeah.
Speaker 1: I mean in my life, I've slept like thirty five hours in a row, like actually slept, like not not gotten, you know, get up, yes to like go to the bathroom or whatever, but you know, like really be asleep for that long. Like that's not something you're supposed to be able to do. I mean, that's like the species wouldn't survive everybody was sleeping thirty five hours. I mean, you know, I think there is somewhere in the middle, like maybe ten hours. Like I don't think you have to sleep three hours and keep diet coke and a gun on your dresser, like, you know, I think there's a help that I think there's a happy medium, you know. So the thing about this drugs bravado is I my my new psychologists that I have because I'm so poor that I have heavily subsidized insurance that's actually kind of deluxe right now. But I do have right now nine hundred dollars a month insurance for fourteen dollars a month. So I figured, and my psychiatrist said, because I was trying to approach this because of the winter, because the winter is when I fall apart, and it happens in California too, Like that was a funny thing to go to California and you're just like, Oh, this can't happen.
Speaker 2: Get winter here.
Speaker 1: You can get depressed anywhere, it turns out, any in any weather, especially if it's the time of year that's quote unquote winter, even if it's sunny out and warm. But so I just tried to take it seriously, and so she recommended, she said, well you tried this, I tried a new drug over the summer and it didn't agree with me, the usual anxiety. And I went in and I so, I said, she said, we can try this, Bravado. You're technically depression. Your depression is a treatment resistant. If you've tried like five antidepressants and they all you don't agree with you, which is certainly true. Sure I've tried more than that over the years. People always recommend well Buttrin. You know how I found out Well Butrin wasn't working for me. When I tried switched to it in like twenty sixteen, I was like, because it makes me kind of manic.
Speaker 6: Yeah, well, Beautrim the first got a little bit of up to it. So the first two weeks I'm like, I think I'm having a breakthrough. Yeah, I feel kind of I feel kind of wild. Maybe this is my natural setting, that's how it should be, you know.
Speaker 1: But then one day I was driving down like the highway freeway, you know, and and I was listening to the Final Cut by Pink Floyd really loud and drinking of vanilla latte, neither of which I do.
Speaker 2: To just change personality.
Speaker 1: So I was like, this is I'm not this is not this is not going well, so I got off of it. But anyway, I've I've had two treatments of and the collision of Western and Eastern medicine is the funniest, most idiotic thing I've ever seen. Tripping in a strip mall, I would compare it.
Speaker 2: To right, Yeah, it's like a psychedelic Like some ketemiane treatment is like a psychedelic. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Tripping in a regular doctor's office with regular Tennessee mind you Tennessee, like not nurses, just like medical assistance, which is like.
Speaker 2: Kind of sitting with you and talking you through it.
Speaker 1: Your shaman is the ascent is the same as like, I don't know how the vibe would be like a you know, it's like it's like being talked through a trip by like two people who work at Jiffy Loop.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: That happened to me on Monday, right.
Speaker 2: I mean, if we're going to approach this at like a broad level, there's going to be a lot of Yeah, it's gonna be like industrial trip sitters, you know, Like.
Speaker 1: It was insane. They were so nice and they were just like but they were just like You're gonna be okay, you know, but they look scared you know. I was like, I am like, why are you scared. They're like, I don't know.
Speaker 2: I just started doing this.
Speaker 1: I just started doing it.
Speaker 5: It's because they're also animating.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna tell you the truth. Okay, So this one of the two women who one was like, this is my job, right, And I was like, oh yeah, what's your degree? She's like, I'm a medical assistant. I went to school for a year.
Speaker 2: I'm like, well, you sound like an asshole. By the way. You're like, oh yeah, what's your degree?
Speaker 1: Listen. I said, well no, because I'm like I'm scared. Yeah, I flipped on Monday. I don't do drugs. I'm sober.
Speaker 2: I don't.
Speaker 1: I stopped doing psychedelics in nineteen ninety two because I lost, because I I thought I was dying and ruined everybody's trip and everything. You know what I mean, there's nothing worse than tripping with the you know, the anxiety guy.
Speaker 2: Sure, we're we've been. We've been this lace, this lace. I was the worst. I was a like hurricane level nightmare blunt rotation. I was the worst person to smoke weed with me too.
Speaker 1: By the NDID. For a while, I was pretty good at it, but then we got better and then I then I then I fell apart. But anyway, it was just I'm excited about it because the second treatment I had yesterday, I was able to well, this is the thing I asked all I'm all I asked was like, is there a doctor, Like? Can I see a doctor? Like? I didn't see a doctor through the whole thing. So I just saw these two people who gave me this drug. They said I was gonna be okay, and then but they just kept saying You're gonna be okay. But then they also did get get kind of scared in the middle. They were like, your blood rush is a little high. They said, that's me while I'm on the drug. That's what I mean. So it's like that's I don't care if I don't have a degree, and I have a degree in art history and I got like a C plus, so I'm not I just want to know that I'm not going to die. And if you're asking people who are kind of like I just did that. One of the people who was in there being my trip guide was the front desk person who I had seen the other day when they said that the medicine didn't come in. The person told me, right, So I was just like I was, and I was being sensitive while I was tripping, because I was like, I'm not trying to be a jerk, but do you have any kind of medical accreditation to be in here? Because the front desk the other day and she goes and while I'm tripping, she's like, yeah, they have me bouncing around.
Speaker 2: Wow. Wow.
Speaker 1: But I did get the head of the whole organization, which I of course won't mention, but she got on the face time or you FaceTime with me or what the hell it is? Yeah, that's what old people always say about stuff like that, Yeah, or whatever the hell it is, Yeah, whatever the hell it is. And she told me that it's an anesthetic, so when you feel like you can't breathe, it's just because you have been basically your whole body numbs out, so you can't you can't feel your breathing. But I needed to know that ahead of time, that was the thing.
Speaker 5: It would have been helpful, it really.
Speaker 1: Those because I kind of knew it was an anesthetic, but they didn't really get into specifics. So I ended up talking to these two people like in an intimate way. I've lost my mind. I thought I was dying, So I was like I was. I was talking to these people like that I met fifteen minutes ago about I mean, it's like tripping, having a meltdown like that, you kind of wanna it's pretty uncomfortable. Yeah, you know, Like I was telling them that I felt like a tongue depressor made of static and stuff like that.
Speaker 2: Wow, you know, and they're like, wow, pretty cool.
Speaker 1: They were like, well, your blood pressure is a little high.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's not. I don't know that being told your blood pressure is experience. It's not.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 1: If you think good morning got me like is boring, you gotta you gotta start tuning in because I'm doing reports on this stuff. I did have a great experience yesterday. I just was a little bit more ready for it. Anyway, I'm optimistic, but I'm also not that optimistic. I don't know that there's a drug that can cure, you know, the modern malaise we have with you know, yeah, you know tech bros in the White House combined with clinical depression. I doubt there's like some.
Speaker 2: You know bros. Are giving like some of the psychedelic therapy a bad name. But I do think there's value to it for a lot of people, for a lot of conditions, if it's like being you know, if it's being done in a therapeutic setting with like good doctors.
Speaker 1: I got better answers yesterday because because I just texted them and I said, you know, I just was wondering if I go down on the dose. And I said, I just wondered also if there could be a doctor that maybe came in at the end and said like that went well or didn't go well. And they were like, well, we can't get a hold of you or not. Your doctor's gonna probably won't be able to call you back. But then one of the guy on the text and said, we talked to some doctor I've never heard of or met. We talked to somebody somebody, and we're gonna stay at the same dose. And then she wrote, we got you exclamation point exclamation.
Speaker 2: I love it.
Speaker 1: What kind of medical.
Speaker 2: Twenty five baby?
Speaker 3: This is?
Speaker 1: That's what I'm saying. I mean, all of it is because they are on a bare bones budget. A corporation owns this. This organization is is like, you know, why can't we like shift the front desk person to be the shaman, like, what's the problems? Like you just tell them they have to they'll do the best they can.
Speaker 2: It's a great idea in theory, but it's also becoming legal and operational as America is taken over by private equity whose whose job is Like what if one person did the job of ten people?
Speaker 5: And well, that's yeah, that's the drug we all need. The drug we need is revolution that dismantles capitalism and all the other oppressive structures. If we all just take that drug, a lot of our problems.
Speaker 1: Will gets me out of bed. Caitlin, I'll meet you. I'll meet you on the corner of Pico and Lebrea. If that's a real corner.
Speaker 2: I can't I can ever remember if they're like the ones that run parallel or not.
Speaker 1: But let's not get too early, though, Like let's meet it like eleven thirty, Oh.
Speaker 2: Sure, yeah, okay, all right, what a journey please? The cole Brew got me like.
Speaker 1: I feel pretty good. I gotta say good, don't I don't you know? I mean to keep with it, and I because I'm hopeful. I mean, I am fed up with SSRIs, I'm fed up with the side effects from them and if I can, if there's any way to get out of it. If I don't, if I have to live on zoll Off for the rest of my life, I can do it. I've done it for a long time. But I would like to try, you know, see if I can do better.
Speaker 2: Yeah, of course, let's take a quick break. We'll plan the revolution real quick, and we'll be back. And we're back. What Chris is something you think is underrated?
Speaker 1: Underrated? I would say, I can't remember what my idea was for this. It was gonna be. I think it was gonna be that it was my audiobook was underrated again, just so I can promote it. It's done. The Advice King anthology is.
Speaker 2: Done, and the audiobook is done.
Speaker 1: And yeah, and it took forever. And I don't know how anyone records an audiobook except to use AI because you have to have someone who can donate fifty hours of high quality studio time, which is the equivalent of making like fourteen indie rock records, right.
Speaker 2: You know what I mean?
Speaker 1: Like I don't know how that, you know, Like the budget is like I don't even know have the budget of an indie rock band for this thing. So anyway, but it's done, and so that's underrated only because it's not even out yet, but also I need people to buy it because it's like ten it's gonna be ten bucks. It's hilarious. It's like three and a half hours of me doing stand up basically, I mean, I can't read these columns without getting and my mom does the interaction. Yeah, I mean, I'm just well, I'm just performing the columns like because they're like a lot of them are just straight up stand up except written, and so I had to. That's why it's it's gonna be fun. It's like a comedy album and it's got some like serious stuff in it about depression and things like that, but it's it's gonna be a lot of fun. And my mom does the introduction because Racy Moore, who wrote the introduction, she's a journalist out in Los Angeles. She couldn't do it. So it's like, oh, how great I am or what you know, it's like a nice it's the introduction to the book, like you know. So I was like, who would be good at reading something about me that's like really positive? And so I got my mom, who's eighty three, and she was so psyched to be in the studio and everything.
Speaker 2: And she, oh, that's great.
Speaker 1: She she rehearsed by reading. She's like, I need the book and I was like, I don't have a copy of it. She's like, I need the book to practice. So she was reading like obituaries out loud to the newspaper just.
Speaker 2: To get her Yeah, that's how I get ready for the show every day.
Speaker 1: I never I never practiced anything in my life. So I was just like blown away.
Speaker 2: What, Chris, what some of you thinks overrated?
Speaker 1: Overrated? Is this any news media right now that is covering any cable news Every single bit of it should be should be thrown out the window. I mean everybody knows that, but especially now because I'm so tired of hearing about how these tech guys Muskin Zuckerberg and there's a small list everybody knows of my guess, Larry Ellison and Peter Tiel and all and and uh, you know they they're not They say, oh, they've accrued as much wealth as during the Gilded Age, or like, we haven't seen this much wealth. But this isn't a matter of wealth. This is a matter of power. And they keep discussing this without without mentioning. The richest person in the world didn't own the news, the richest person in the world didn't couldn't meddle in government affairs in Me and mar by shutting off or turning on Spacebook. These people have power unparalleled in human history. These people are kings of the whole globe. There wasn't even an inter connected globe until thirty years ago. So the idea that they keep getting discussed, well, it's getting really bad, getting really bad. Talking about this in terms of money misses it. This is power on levels that have never been seen before. I'm so sick of hearing it being discussed in comparison to the Gilded Age, when all you could be was like the meanest guy on the block, and you could have the biggest tower and stand around in it and be mean to your you know, immediate surroundings. But you couldn't like try and overthrow the government of England with tweets. Yeah, I mean, you just couldn't think you could yell at stable boys. That was what the old.
Speaker 2: Their stable boys.
Speaker 1: I mean, sure, I'm not I'm not listen, I'm not saying that was okay.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Biden coming through at the end of his thing and being like, guys, some of these tech oligarchs are bad news.
Speaker 1: I think I'm glad you brought that up. I can't even I can't even process that after anyone process.
Speaker 2: That after like a record, and I'm like, I think there was one person with one hundred and fifty million dollars before he started, and now there's like eight of these.
Speaker 1: He even raised the corporate tax right when he was in office.
Speaker 2: No, I did nothing but.
Speaker 1: The I mean, yeah, I mean, how's anyone And then we're not talking about the fires. You know, I'm sure you guys have talked about it to death and you're also living through it, and I'm I'm so sorry. I'm so sorry. It's so horrible. Yeah, and on top of all that ship to have a guy saying stuff like that, who's the president of the United States. I mean, how much can people take? If that's what I mean. It's like these, these these giant megaphones need to be turned off or we're never gonna be okay again. We're not gonna ever be okay again unless we turn these fucking things off. I remember there was a Hunter Thompson's fear and loathing in Las Vegas. He had a funny passage. I never forgot where he was saying. There was a machine on the Vegas Strip where for five dollars they could they would project you like one hundred feet tall on the side of a building and you could yell anything you wanted at Las Vegas. And he was saying this, he was saying, how insane that.
Speaker 2: Was, How so he was of taking drugs and then seeing like some random person.
Speaker 1: Let random people scream at a whole city.
Speaker 2: Well, you know what I mean, we have we have you know, that's to take innovation of the past fifty years. Yeah, that's just.
Speaker 1: That's what's over overrated, is talking about things in content in ways that are not only I don't know if they're obfuscating, if are these people are too in the system to even understand. Oh it is either just as wealthy as the as the Gilded Age. I mean they can have as many carriages as they want. I mean they can have you know, like, that's not what's happening anyway. That's that's all just occurred to me.
Speaker 2: It's just I just found out about this today.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's just it's not comparable to any guilded age.
Speaker 2: It's not. And they're richer than anybody in the guilded age guild a lot.
Speaker 1: Yeah exactly. And I but they keep saying that, so I'm like, oh, and they're like, yeah, that's not that much different than the good that you know, we'll be. Yeah, that's and that's the message that you're supposed to calm the fuck down really ultimately, yeah, and I it's making everybody insane.
Speaker 2: It has been just interested like that is the thing from Red Note that I keep seeing people, you know, so Red Note is interesting to me, like this new social media app where people are like going as an act of rebellion because of the cancelation of TikTok, and they're like, oh shit, we actually can like talk and speak to Chinese people who've been like cut off for us from us for decades, Like what are they like? What are they into? And they're all just like Luigi Mangioni fucking rules is what is like the the number one most popular meme on social media. It's just like, I don't know, it's.
Speaker 1: Wait, that's that's the most popular meme on on.
Speaker 2: Red Note, Like on Chinese social media, they like love Luigi MANGIONI that is weird, yeah, but I don't know like it. It just seems like there is this whole thing that's being massively missed, to your point by CNN, and.
Speaker 1: He's a multicultural phenomenon, like that guy's like universally considered hot.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he is universally considered I mean that is like one of the explanations by someone was like, that's just because he looks good, Like the expert on Red Note is like, it's just because he's hot. But yeah, I don't know, Like there Miles had put the story in of like it's a sound clip from Sean Hannity's radio show where he's like talking about how rich billionaires, Like he's just shaming people for being fans of Luigi Mangione and for anyone talking like getting on board with taxing the wealthy. And I just I think there's a going to be this massive fucking uprising of like people at least like their sentiment being like this is a fucking disaster, Like what are you guys talking about? And I don't I don't know what it's gonna look like necessarily, but it just seems like the disconnect is so profound and like I agree. Yeah, the Luigi Mangioni stuff is like, you know, gotten tamped down, you know, because there's not like new news coming out because he he just like makes made like two appearances over the course of the past three months, and every time he does social media is like yeah, fuck, I.
Speaker 1: Can't wait till he's on Dancing with the Stars.
Speaker 2: I know, right, masked singer. Yeah, there's that moment over a break where like Colin just mentioned his name and the crowd like started cheering and he was like, you guys are cheering for justice, right, Like you're cheering because he got caught, And like I he was joking. But like I I don't know, there's just such a weird thing happening with like the complete disconnect.
Speaker 1: There's a tipping point and and and I think the Uyres in Los Angeles, even though first and foremost they're just a tragedy, Yeah, but they affected. I don't know, it's gonna be hard for the wealthy who were affected to say the Palisades, A lot of the very uber wealthy in the Palisades to feel like they don't need social services. If a lot of those Palisades people sadly well, all rich people everywhere voted for Trump because they don't want to pay taxes. But then when you're starting to question where the water was and where the helicopters are and those sorts of questions, you start to understand, Wow, we just voted for a guy who has vowed to cut more help, cut the helicopter, get less helicopters, to get less fire firemen, fire people. You know that that is we're really I think the collision of those two things is like, I mean, the Pacific Palisades is like not a place people you can really I've been there. It's beautiful, it feels like otherworldly. It feels untouchable, right and and and it's you know, it's like these narratives that we believe in, like that somehow life is this thing to win, and you know, it's like but the but the point is that I think even rich people are starting to smell a rat.
Speaker 2: Yeah, or they're like making up like the the articles I'm seeing covering like rich people's responses, like this guy hunkered down with like a gun and a fire hose and he's protecting his house himself, and yeah, he blames Gavin Newsom, like that's kind of how they've figured out their way to like justify what they previously believed and also blame it on unhoused people that they claim are lighting the fires, which, yeah, it's I've been I've come out of the fires and like the misinformation shit storm, like kind of less hopeful or I don't know, more certain that something needs to be done about fucking social media. But feels like the wrong time for that sentiment. I do just want to read this quote from Sean Hannity because it's like kind of a good example of the type of shit you're talking about. Is he said. I even heard some Trump supporters say they want to soak the rich. You sound like Bernie Sanders, you want to soak the rich. When I didn't have any money, I was a contractor. I never got hired by a poor person. In my ten years in the restaurant business. I never got a tip from a poor person, which absolute fucking bullshit.
Speaker 1: That's wrong.
Speaker 2: Yeah, No, I want to thriving economy where Americans have high paying career jobs and you got to focus on the basics. But yeah, so complete definitely did not work as a tip based employee in the service industry, because then he would know that rich people are the fucking worst tippers in the world.
Speaker 1: I've waited on billionaires before. I think it's funny because they actually the two that I waited on tip twenty percent exactly, and they acted like they were so like they're we're not monsters.
Speaker 2: I'm a job creed dear god.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you tip less than poor people. They're I mean, just like, oh, twenty percent, buddy, you should be giving me a million dollars if you're a millionaire.
Speaker 5: And they won't even miss it.
Speaker 1: They won't even know. This is so funny. They're like, here's your twenty percent. See, yeah there you go. Yeah, yeah see you thought I was gonna tip be like nothing.
Speaker 2: It's like so like with shit like that being put out there from the mainstream media and like the new administration, I'm like part of me is like, is how are people going to react because that they're they're rejecting that sort of bullshit at this point, the sort of like all right, Bernie Sanders, you want to soak the rich, get on out of here, or you know, Ben Shapiro coming out and being like the radical left is supporting Luigi Mangioni and like all of his listeners being like, uh, it's not just the radical left man.
Speaker 1: So yeah, well, I think people look at the problem. The problem we have is that people are so used to looking at the television for for what, like what the score is, like you know, are people starting to wake up? You know? And the TV will never admit that, So then they're just like, I guess people aren't starting to wake up, you know, but everyone is. But it's just you just can't get validated. It's kind of like when I was in that room like freaking out on the ketamine and wanted somebody of authority to come in and say like this is okay, right, like you're right, yeah, you know what I mean, like your right to be freaking out because this, that and the other thing. But we will never get that validation because the media is owned by these same people, so well we're never ever And it's really important in a culture that looks to TV for reality. It reminds me of Network Caitlin, do you.
Speaker 5: Watch you know I'm not gonna take it in one of my.
Speaker 1: Favorite movies, you know, and and you know, talked about all this stuff in nineteen seventy four. You know, and and and uh that line where Peter Finch is imploring the audience for his news show saying, we're the fake ones. You're real. You're the you think we're the real ones, and you're fake. That's how he's like, that's how fucked up this has gotten, is that you think we're real. You know, you know, it's and it's just it's unfortunate that it just keep keeps going. I mean, I can't stop looking at screens either, you know, it's not like I know how to stop.
Speaker 5: There's addictive. Is that highly processed food we were talking about.
Speaker 2: Yesterday, uncrustables as addictive as a visual mouthfeel?
Speaker 5: Yeah that I feel, you know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Yeah, how's the I feel? Your apps?
Speaker 1: The Titanic has great I feel?
Speaker 5: Oh the movie Titanic, of course, yeah, I've heard of it.
Speaker 1: I know who's here.
Speaker 5: Wow, thanks, thanks for reading the room. Yeah. No, it's that's the thing, like the oligarchs who control the media and who control you know, all of our systems, they muld oh wow, so true, so true. Yeah, they're never gonna admit that people are acknowledging the class divide and uniting on that because they thrive on the right and the left fighting like all this just like arbitrary and not it's not all arbitrary because like you know, people on the right want trans people to die and stuff like that. But so you know, there's certainly justified disagreements on the political side of the side of the aisle, but we do need to unite from a class point of view. Then that's the revolution I'm talking about. So I'll see you on what did we say, the corner of.
Speaker 1: I'll see you on the corner of.
Speaker 5: They are those run parallel to each other.
Speaker 1: I'll meet you at Schwab's drug store.
Speaker 5: Ye'll see there.
Speaker 2: All right, let's take one more break and we'll be right back. And we're back and an R. I p to David Lynch, who passed away yesterday. He had emphysema, was completely isolated in recent years so that he wouldn't get more sick, but there was still hopes that he might direct a project remotely that you know, I'm not sure what he was working on at the end, but very very sad news. He was a big smoker, big smoker who I did like respect. You know, his statement about how much he loved smoking when he was like, I'm dying now because of smoking. But and then just like wrote a like paragraph lung love letter to like smoking.
Speaker 1: Yeah part of the art, like.
Speaker 2: Smoke into his lungs and feeling it burned there and yeah I miss it. Yeah, it got that.
Speaker 1: It was part of the art life. And I like that. I like that. I like the idea of an art life, you know, and also taking you know, like yeah, like we're all gonna die, like you can do something that's bad for you if you.
Speaker 2: Enjoy it, right, yeah, and he certainly did.
Speaker 5: And just the eating baby hamdbabies.
Speaker 2: Hand babies, I get those baby today.
Speaker 1: What's a ham baby? Like a baby that's in the in the cake in the in New Orleans.
Speaker 2: No, it's a ham. So you know how like when you go to the grocery store if you want to get like ham cold cuts, you, Yeah, they take a big they take a big hunk of ham. They call that a hand baby. They call that a large hamdbaby.
Speaker 1: Not in my not around no one on no, we we just discovered that on yesterday that it's horrific. No one should call anything a hand baby.
Speaker 2: And the Boars head line of like, you know, the conveyor belt of ham babies was getting clogged because too many defective ham babies were getting Like you want told off?
Speaker 1: Then you want to know why more people don't listen to my podcast because the joke that just crossed my mind is the only thing that should be called a hamdbaby is when the parents met communicating on ham radio.
Speaker 2: And that's good stuff, right, see what I'm saying.
Speaker 1: And that's why my podcast is only for certain people.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the original sexting is uh sexual kind over ham radio.
Speaker 7: I was wearing over over our tube top, all right, Uh yeah, So I don't know, there's just like good good stories about him.
Speaker 2: Also, like people I think, like I don't everybody knows who David Lynch is, right, he made Blue Velvet and Mulholland Drive we talked about recently because it is the moana Io of great films in that it started as a TV show and then people were like, I don't know, nobody's gonna watch this as a TV show, and so they edited it into like what is considered one of the best movies of the twenty first century. Mulholland Drive. Is that the one with the Laomi Wattson. It's the one the dumpster in the back of the yeah diner. Yeah, yeah, that's and it has the street Mulholland Drive in it as the title.
Speaker 1: What's the what's that? You don't have to be that.
Speaker 2: Of Pico and thank you oh Man?
Speaker 1: So so that what's the movie with Robert the guy who may have murdered.
Speaker 2: His wife Robert Blake Lost Highway?
Speaker 1: That one's good too. Yeah, I love that one.
Speaker 2: So people see his movies and they're like, this guy must be fucked up, this guy must be like a real dark person. And I just want to read this one interview from a reporter who visited the set of Blue Velvet, which was like his his movie that like was really kind of the mainstreaming of the David Lynch kind of esthetic and super dark and fucked up, and like when it came out, a lot of people were like reacted as if someone had committed a crime like.
Speaker 1: I saw when I was eighteen. I had no idea what the hell it was.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I still hard to know exactly what it is. But it's a you know, a work of art, that's what that is. One thing we can say and not just because he smoked so many cigarettes making it. It's just unmistakably a vision of the country and the of one person. So somebody shows up. It's a movie with like fucking like just some brutal, horrible things happening. Ears and dirt. You know. It opens with somebody's like severenty ear and the dirt and anyways, someone comes out. They're like, all right, this guy's gonna be real fucked up, and found him riding around set on bicycles with streamers fluttering from the handlebars. His pockets full of peanut eminems like that detailcle pockets full of peanut eminems like bordering on like what are you doing that? Those are gonna melt and be Your hands must be like covered in like different colors candy coating all the time unless he just has the least sweaty hands of all time.
Speaker 1: Also, he's going to make He's going to make himself sick.
Speaker 2: Am I right? He The reporter said, David is a genuinely happy person, and this is one of the remarkable things about him. I've never met anyone as serene as he is. He's also a lifelong devotee to transcendental meditation, right, so I don't know, Caitlin, you're a film person. What are you Lynch?
Speaker 5: I have a master.
Speaker 2: You are a film master. I'm sorry, and the rest of us are film people. You are a film master.
Speaker 5: I'm kind of a master.
Speaker 2: What are you a fan of Lynch?
Speaker 5: I would say I'm not a fan. In fact, I tweeted something something to this effect a few years ago and absolutely got destroyed on the internet. But I don't regret it because I stand by what I said. But I mean, I I like Twin Peaks. I haven't seen the more recent season that, like, you know, when they kind of revitalized it, but I liked the original series and I enjoyed Elephant Man because he directed that too.
Speaker 2: Those is one like kind of mainstream.
Speaker 5: So I like his like more normy stuff, and that just speaks to my taste, I guess, because I don't know what the fuck muhalland Drive is about. I've seen it many times and I just get frustrated because I'm like, I'm not smart enough for this. But then I'm also like, well, maybe the filmmaker it's not smart to so I'm dunking on David Lynch even post more. But either stuff of his I liked. I'm sure I didn't finish his dune, but it seemed wacky and fun, so I might go back and watch it.
Speaker 2: I dkay.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think Also, I would imagine as a woman would probably be sick of hearing about David Lynch from dudes.
Speaker 5: Well, that's what my tweet was about. I was like, I'm really I really resent. It was something like I resent like all the I don't know if I like made a gender specific and said like all the men or just like all the people who spent years trying to convince me that David Lynch was any good. So it was like a really bitchy tweet. I'll admit it, but listen.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but I'll tell you this guy happens the men too, Like, you know, like a certain type of man will confront you and be like have you seen the latest Lynch?
Speaker 2: You know, and you're like.
Speaker 5: I had. I shall not name names, but there was a man comedian who I know who like got furious with me to the fact that to the point where he was like yelling at me because I was like, yeah, I'm not that big of a David Lynch fan, and he got so like viscerally angry about that. Yeah, and so I'm like, Okay, calm down, everybody. But I'm sure he was a very nice person. And I love the image of him riding around on a bicycle with streamers from the handlebars and eminem's in his pockets. That's beautiful.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and his documentary about the documentary about him, where they're showing him like booking, Like there's one where he's making phone calls and he gets like some celebrity to be in his movie and he's like.
Speaker 4: Yes, yes, he's like a star stuck too.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Like there's a lot of charming things about him. But yeah, I definitely have been cornered at parties and like grilled about David Lynch by like dudes who are trying to prove they were smart and it's going yeah, yeah, I told one guy I watched The New I remember I was at this party. It was kind of like a fancier party than I would usually be invited to in in Los Angeles, And and there was a guy who's a director, like that's what people were saying he was, but I don't know what he directed, but he you know, he certainly wasn't like a director i'd ever heard of, but he was like had a bunch of tattoos, you know, And he was just like, have you seen the new twin Peaks? And it had just come out and I was like yes, and he was like, you saw it, He's like the whole thing. I was like, he's like the whole thing because he had seen the whole thing, you know. But he was like he thought he'd gotten the jump on I guess humanity. And I was like, yes, yes, yeah, go to it, and he just like didn't want to talk to me anymore because I think he knew I.
Speaker 2: Was lying right all right.
Speaker 1: I did eventually watch that, but I did had not then, and I just did not want to get into what was going to happen if I said no, I hadn't seen it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's amazing.
Speaker 1: I just couldn't even imagine what would happened next.
Speaker 2: Well, Chris, it's wonderful having you as always on the day. Get where can people find you? Follow you, hear you all that good stuff.
Speaker 1: Well, I got a couple of good things to promote. The audio books not out, but I was just gonna say I get, I get. I have a pretty good deal with Vanderbilt University with that thing. So if people buy it, I get kind of a good chunk of it, as opposed to the book, which I don't get a good chunk of. But the audio book. Oh my god, if people knew how much money you make off of a book, Holy God, Holy hell. Anyway, I'm gonna be in Chicago this coming week on Wednesday at a studio in it you can look on my it's like a secret show in like someone's music studio. It's but they have regular shows there. It's like a thirty six seat place, and I'm doing a show with Kristen Toomey. I'm gonna read my book like probably to stand up and then play a couple songs. And that's Wednesday in Logan Square area, and you can get the specifics from my Instagram at the Crafton show. And then Friday, I'm gonna be doing a set at the Lincoln Lodge Friday eight pm show, which is supposed to be a really fantastic show up there. And just to shout out to Kristen Toomey, who was kind of like helping me out with all this, and she's you guys, will if I mentioned her before, she would be such a great fit for Daily ze Geist. You guys would love her, and she's huge in Chicago. She's just like, I don't know. I'm totally intimidated. She's gonna kick my ass.
Speaker 2: You up. I already told her.
Speaker 1: She's like, it's not a competition. I'm like, oh, yeah, it is.
Speaker 2: Great. Is there a work of media that you've been enjoying? Oh?
Speaker 1: I forgot to do that one. Can you guys go first? I always forget to do that one.
Speaker 2: That's good. Where can people find you? Is there work a media you've been enjoying?
Speaker 5: You can find me follow me on Instagram at Caitlin Toronte. You can go to my website. There's information about what's it called the classes I teach. Sorry my brain, you're witnessing its collapse in real time. Thank you Caitlyn University where you can take take my screenwriting classes. I oh, there are live Bechdel cast shows coming up. There was one in La on January nineteenth that we have pushed back because of safety concerns because of the fire and the air quality. So that is rescheduled for March second. And that is not only a live show in La at Dynasty Hypewriter on March second at seven thirty. But it's also being live streamed, so if you live anywhere in the world you can still catch it if you buy a live stream ticket. So that's that one, and then our other shows are still happening as planned. One in San Francisco for Sketch Fest on January twenty third. That's a show on Titanic of course, of course, and then.
Speaker 2: Find with Titanic by Titanic.
Speaker 5: Yes, yeah, with Titanic for Titanic. I have announced that if that show sells out, I will get naked so that Jamie can draw me like one of her French girls. It's not very close to selling out, so I really need well it's not that I want to get naked right on stage, but I will do it just for for the laugh and for the story.
Speaker 2: But what I really want for the drawing.
Speaker 5: And then I'll auction it off and you know, donate the money to a good cause. But what was I going to say, buy ticket to the show please? Is the point? And then finally we have a show in Portland on January twenty sixth, and that is a show on Shrek. I will not be getting naked during the Shrek Show.
Speaker 2: Fair.
Speaker 1: That's cool.
Speaker 2: That is fair.
Speaker 1: I got my I gotta work media just real quickly because I don't have one Donald boat, that laser boat. The main problem is I think I'm Eric Cartman therapist. Let's examine this me. I mean, I just feel like Eric Cartman in this bitch sometimes therapist. I'd like to pry into this for just a moment. Me Like I walk into rooms and I think, damn, I'm stepping like Eric Cartman. That's it.
Speaker 2: That's it seems like a real exchange. I love it. Work of social media I've been enjoying is from there's a clip from Carly Leopard l e c a r l y l e p a r D of somebody just being like a real debonair person in a hot tub in Pigeon Forge, Tennessee. That I feel like, Chris, you would really enjoy this. So that's my recommendation. I'll send the link to you. I just found it because somebody said that they found their soulmate and it is this person. But that's right up the street Pigeon Porge. Yeah, it's like.
Speaker 1: It's like a place you could buy, like you know, it's like a tourist. It's like a Gatlinburg where Dollywood is, but one I forgot. I have a show Sunday too in Kirksville, Missouri at Aorda, which is some kind of performance space, and they Zeygang people asked me if I wanted to do a show up there. So that's what I'm doing on the website.
Speaker 2: Yeah, enjoy that. I'm excited at that pipe and smoke at Missouri.
Speaker 1: I mean, I'm like, don't look at the map before I say yes to things though it's like seven and a half hours. Yeah, yeah, America and I have nothing in between, you know, I have no snow halfway point show or anything. I'm just like, yeah, I'll do it. How far could Missouri be?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I've been enjoying a workimedia. I've been enjoying. Harrison Wine Red tweeted, tell me again how having an entire room dedicated to pissing and shitting is more practical than a.
Speaker 1: Wow, that's surprisingly good if.
Speaker 2: You're so smart when you explain that to me. Can find me on Twitter at Jack Underscore O'Brian and on Blue Sky at Jack ob the Number One. You can find us on Twitter at Daily Zeitgeist We're at the Daily Zeitgeist on Instagram. We have a Facebook fanpage and a website, Daily zeitguyst dot com, where we post our episodes and our footnotes. We also do the footnotes in the episode description of wherever you're listening to this, you can just look at it and you can see the links to the sources, and we also in that area we link off to the sources of the information we talked about. We also link off to a song that we think you might enjoy. Miles is out but super producer justin really good at this. Is there a song that you think people might enjoy?
Speaker 8: Yeah, So there's this group I've really been digging called Secret Night Gang out of Manchester, UK, and they like to mix American R and B soul and views that with jazz and some gospel elements and it's just a great composition of things coming together, great musicianship. And this track starts off with smooth and like relaxed elements and then builds into this absolute rock jam and then recedes back into smooth jazz again and it's called the Sun And you can find this song in the footnotes that again is Secret Night Gang.
Speaker 2: Secret Night Gang cool. The song is called the Sun.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 8: A lot of their songs are about the daytime in the sun. And then they actually met during like a music class and secretly they started like making their recordings at night. Yeah, and they started writing songs about you know, the daytime and the sun and stuff and it's pretty cool.
Speaker 2: That's awesome, all right. Well, we will link off to that in the footnotes to Daily Zeit guys are production of my Heart Radio. For more podcasts from my Heart Radio, visit Yeah Heart Radio, app Apple podcast or wherever you listen to your favorite shows. That's going to do it for us this week. We are back on Monday to tell you what is trending, what trended, what happened over the weekend. And we also have a episode that recaps cuts together some of the highlights from this week that drops tomorrow, so you can check all that stuff out. We hope you have a great weekend. Thanks again everybody who for reaching out supporting Miles and his family. He I think is going to be back fairly soon, but yeah, appreciate all of the support and love coming from the listeners, and we will talk to you all on Monday. Bye. Nice so much