Speaker 1: Hey, fam, Before we get back to the show, I have some major news to tell you. For over a year, I've been building a brand new app called Button Plus spelled bttn. So if you love our shows like Miles the Brave, Pixel Quest or Critter Protectors Parents, you're gonna need to download our Button plus app to get unlimited access to all of our Story Button and Mister Jim shows completely add free. Thank you to everyone who has supported us so far. It's truly amazing to have you a part of our family. From all of us here at Story Button, we really couldn't continue to do this without you, so it would be really helpful to us if you went to the app store and searched for Button spelled bttn, gave it a download and a five star review, that would be awesome.
Speaker 2: Thank you, and now back to.
Speaker 1: The show.
Speaker 3: Critter Protectors. It's crazy to think just how little those two words meant to me a few short years ago. I mean, maybe the word critter would have gotten my attention, but all I could think about that summer after fifth grade was how glad I was that school was finally over. I think what I was really craving was an adventure, something beyond just myself, the classroom or my little hometown. And boy did I ever get it. The truth is, our story started a lot like any story with a villain. There. We were suddenly blindsided by a huge problem. We had no training, barely any experience, and we were mostly just kids ourselves. Just like that, we were thrown into one of the craziest missions of all time. Almost overnight, we became detectives, high speed chase experts, environmental scientists, and the team responsible for.
Speaker 2: Saving the world. But I'd better not give it away.
Speaker 3: Just like that, Let's start at the beginning, Critter Protectors day one. Since summer break had just begun in our town, all the camps, sports programs, and public beaches were packed with people. Everywhere just seemed a little more crowded and a little more alive. Our town's famous biology squad team, mister Jim Jaden and Ava were single handedly saving the world time and time again. Doctor Stinky Breath, that smelly villain kept them on their toes, for sure, but they never failed to put him back in his place. He always landed right back up in his purple blimp with those sneaky purple ninjas. Even when Doctor Stinky Breath thought up another terrible plans, Biology Squad seemed to defeat him.
Speaker 2: Just the same.
Speaker 3: Things on the villain front were pretty normal and pretty controlled. But then everything changed. This is when our story began. This is when the Critter Protectors made a name for ourselves.
Speaker 1: Once the situation mister Jim over, Uh, hey, Luke, I've got a huge problem.
Speaker 4: Over Where are you.
Speaker 1: Over, I'm I'm at the Force Preserve esive HQ. You know the one with that really winding path. Yeah, that's the one.
Speaker 4: Got it heading your way now?
Speaker 2: Ten four.
Speaker 3: The beginning of the story is a bit tricky to follow. Mister Jim was supposed to be busy with this biology squad, and animal rescues weren't usually part of the job. The problem was, critter rescues were becoming pretty frequent around town, people constantly calling in and animals stuck in strange situations. All the rescues were becoming very time consuming, which is why mister Luke joined the team as head Gritter Protector. And now the real problem was starting to show its face.
Speaker 2: Shit, it's okay, I'm not gonna hurt you.
Speaker 1: And oh I wish I could say the same for whoever set this trap. It just doesn't make any sense. I just wish there was some kind of like release rope on this net. Oh there's my backup. Those tire sounds didn't help us much. Now you're even more tangled in this mess.
Speaker 2: How are you kidding me?
Speaker 4: A bobcat and I knew they lived around here, but I never seen one wild like this.
Speaker 2: But wait, a net trap? This makes no sense, you're telling me.
Speaker 4: I mean when you said a huge problem, I thought maybe you had a possum by the tail or baby rabbit's about to freeze to death, or luke.
Speaker 1: It's summer frozen to death, and a possum by the tail.
Speaker 4: As I was saying, I didn't expect to see such an angry predator so.
Speaker 2: So deliberately trapped.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, there's definitely something fishy about this. Whoever caught this guy definitely didn't do it by accident.
Speaker 4: Well, either way, we need to get him free without hurting him or him hurting us, that is.
Speaker 2: I don't think I have anything on me to cut him loose hold on. I should have something in the jeep.
Speaker 4: Let's see essentials. Essentials where are you.
Speaker 2: Ah?
Speaker 4: Ha, I knew these scissors would come in handy someday.
Speaker 1: Ha.
Speaker 2: And that bag of beef jerky?
Speaker 4: Hey, Jim, do you want some beef jerky?
Speaker 1: I'll pass on the snacks. And don't you think it might be a bad idea to bring meat around this, oh bobcat.
Speaker 4: Yeah, come to think of it, that's a pretty terrible idea. Well, I found these little guys. I knew they'd come in handy someday.
Speaker 1: I guess those little things will do with the job. But those have to be the smallest scissors ever made.
Speaker 2: Hey, at least I'm prepared. Okay, okay, you're right.
Speaker 1: Um. I think our best bet is to try and cut the rope loose from above. Then we can figure out where his paws are caught in the netting it.
Speaker 4: I'll climb up there. You just make sure he doesn't somehow come after me. In the meantime we'll do. Okay, not too bad so far. Just a little further.
Speaker 2: Those things making a debt on that rope at all.
Speaker 4: Patience, patience, just a little bit.
Speaker 1: More, and.
Speaker 2: Quick jump down here.
Speaker 1: We need to hold his net down flat before he gets it tighter on his paws.
Speaker 2: There his left paw. That's what's stuck.
Speaker 4: Jim. Just keep holding that net. I can get it in a one snip.
Speaker 2: I'm lucky. Okay.
Speaker 1: Count of three, one, two, three, and he's free.
Speaker 2: Quick flipped your side.
Speaker 4: Uh, Jim, what is he doing?
Speaker 2: Why is he frozen like that?
Speaker 4: Why is he staring at us and purring?
Speaker 2: I don't know what.
Speaker 1: Grab that branch and like, I don't know, make a sound against the tree or something, scare him off.
Speaker 4: Okay, that was really weird. Did you see his eyes? It was like he was in a trancer, like sleepwalking, or like some kind of robot mind control. Okay, okay, maybe let's not go quite that far.
Speaker 2: I don't know. It's just all suspicious though, don't you agree? Yes?
Speaker 4: But do we know who whoever set this trap actually wanted to catch a Bobcat?
Speaker 2: Well? I don't know for sure, but look a can of cat food. Huh.
Speaker 1: Maybe it was for the bobcat. Holy smokes, it's two thirty already. I've got to be back at HQ to meet Jayden in five minutes. Oh we're supposed to meet up to test all the jetpack batteries today.
Speaker 2: Oh mind if I catch a ride with you.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, no problem, I'm heading back there anyways.
Speaker 3: And if only this whole story was that simple. But mister Luke and mister Jim knew something or someone was behind it all. And man, this was just the beginning.
Speaker 4: So I think this guy makes sixteen rescues and that's just this week alone.
Speaker 1: Sixteen rescues. Yeah, but now it seems like, hm, we need to start the count over again. Like fifteen simple rescues and one animal saved from an actual trap.
Speaker 4: Yeah. I mean I've felt swamped before, but if this is the new type of thing we're trying to handle, well, I'm not sure how much longer I could keep this one man job going.
Speaker 1: You're right, Luke, I mean fishing, boating, hiking, picnics makes sense that there were more opportunities for animals to be in the wrong place at the wrong time. I just hope this Bobcat incident was just some kind of misunderstanding.
Speaker 2: What was that? I think? So something just popped our tire quick all over up here?
Speaker 4: Wow, Jim, you're right, something completely punctured this thing when the world was that. It's like someone sliced through half the tire. I'll call it toe truck. I don't even have the spare tire in the back right now. This thing is definitely not drivable.
Speaker 1: One agree with you, but I need to let Jayden know I'm not gonna make it back. Hey, we got a flat tire. I need to schedule or tomorrow. Send yes, right off wind road. It's a jeep that says credit Protectors.
Speaker 4: On the back.
Speaker 2: You won't miss us.
Speaker 1: Hey, I'll go look back over there on the road like maybe it was a scrap metal or I don't know, something we didn't see. Huh, Okay, let's see. There's there's gotta be there's gotta be something back up.
Speaker 2: That's it. I was right, well kind of kind of, Luke, you're gonna want to see this