Speaker 1: The following is a production of Dallas Cowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club.
Speaker 2: Cowboys Let's go.
Speaker 3: Are you ready for a break? Yes?
Speaker 2: Are you ready for a break? Absolutely? Ready for a break? Yeah, and so much for that.
Speaker 1: It's time for The Break on Dallas Cowboys dot Com with mbar Garcia, Brian brought Us, Nick Harris, and Derek Eagleton.
Speaker 4: It is Thursday, January second, twenty twenty five. Welcome to the latest edition of The Break. We are alive from the s WBC Mortgage Studios at the story.
Speaker 2: It's at the start.
Speaker 4: We are presented by LGLG is the world's number one OLED TV brand for eleven years in counting See why at LG dot com.
Speaker 2: Forward slash o led Evo.
Speaker 4: It is our first show here of the twenty twenty five year. Still got one game to finish out the twenty twenty four season that comes up this Sunday. Cowboys will face the Commanders here at at and T Stadium at noon. But today we'll get you guys a little more prepared for that game. Got a few topics we're gonna hit today. We've got to talk about Zeke and what seemed to me to be somewhat of a surprise move that the Cowboys made, But we'll talk about that. We'll talk about the Pro Bowl selections. Cowboys got a few guys into the Pro Bowl, if you guys are surprised by any other people that were in or that are not in. And then we'll get into the Washington offense.
Speaker 2: Brian have a breakdown.
Speaker 4: I'm sure Nick's got some thoughts on this team and their offense. Tomorrow we'll talk a little bit more about the defense as we get you guys ready.
Speaker 2: For the game. So let's start with Zeke.
Speaker 4: We find out I think it was yesterday, all these days of all run together, was yesterday, two days ago, find out the.
Speaker 2: Cowboys were releasing him.
Speaker 4: And my question, which I think most people know, but I think it's worth the conversation.
Speaker 2: Why now?
Speaker 5: Yeah, for Ezekiel Elliott, he sees an opportunity to potentially join a playoff team and he went to the organization saying, hey, can I be released so I can be afforded that opportunity in case it in case it arises, and uh, the organization chose to let that happen, not that he had been playing much in the last few weeks anyway, So they released seek one on Tuesday. He cleared waivers yesterday, and now he's free to sign with any team going into the playoffs. I you know, I was trying to think of teams that might be.
Speaker 6: Needing a running back in the playoffs.
Speaker 5: I can't really think of any I mean, you could look at the Chargers and Detroit was my one thought. If David Montgomery is not as healthy as maybe they anticipate going into the playoffs, and that's maybe their short yardage guy that they could bring in and you know, mix in. But you know, how confident would another team be based on, you know, the opportunities that he had this year, the reports about him missing meetings and getting left in uh left in Dallas during the Atlanta game.
Speaker 6: I wonder how much that would factor.
Speaker 5: In if if he had an opportunity that became serious. But nevertheless, the return for Ezekiel Elliott overall, I think it's it's fair to say that it was it was a failure. It was it didn't quite work out in the end. In the beginning, it looked great, you know, we'd come out of that Cleveland game. He had forty nine total yards in that game he had the hurdle on the first play of from scrimmage. Everyone was like, okay, he might have a little juice, and then that would end up being not only the most yards he would account for the rest of the season, but the most touches he would get the rest of the season. And it just kind of went downhill from there, the running back by committee approach. I wonder how much that factored into him not being able to find his rhythm. I think there's a lot of things you look at, but in all, the number fifteen version of Ezekiel Elliott did not work out here.
Speaker 3: Now, this is the first NFL version of the transfer portal we've heard of.
Speaker 5: Well, Dalwin Cook last year, are you talking about like getting released right before the playoffs?
Speaker 7: Yeah?
Speaker 6: Yeah, Dalwin Cook last year?
Speaker 3: Or like, you know, there's a side of me that like, I think that maybe we got some back channeling going on here. Do you think somebody came in with the Rocky Arsenal and.
Speaker 2: That you know, hey, if he was available, now the guy's gone.
Speaker 3: I could say this right, Yeah, okay, so maybe some back channeling, like some say, hey, if you could get them released, you maybe might take a look at him, that kind of thing, clear waivers, that kind of thing. I think there's a couple of things that are going on here too. I think that maybe and this is this is this is the conspiracy theories of me right now, probably irresponsible. I kind of feel like that maybe that that they were talking about that they were going to play deuce on in this game, and maybe he was going to be inactive. And you remember what happened when they talked about him being inactive in the Atlanta week, everything kind of went to hell. You know, He's like, you know, oh well hey, you know, and then it all came out about the miss meetings and things like that. You know, all of a sudden, when he's not going to be active, I don't want to be here anymore. You know, go ahead and release me. It's all nice and tidy and get on with a playoff team and all that. You know, great, But I I if there was some back channeling going on. You don't ask for your releases late in the year unless you got something going my opinion, Yeah, you know.
Speaker 4: That's still as a game check you're missing, Yeah, exactly.
Speaker 3: So there's you know, maybe the Cowboys can find out there was some tampering going on here. Again, I'm not it's Brian Broadest one O five three the fan, not the Dallas Cowboys, not it's my opinion. Sorry, okay, But yeah, so that you know, maybe some back channeling going on, we'll see. But maybe also too that they got to the point where they were going to play they wanted to see Deuce Fawn play, or they wanted to see somebody else play, and Zeke Leveltt wasn't going to be active this game. Yeah. Well, I'm just saying though, it could be a situation where they did not want to go through what they went through Atlanta week and they're saying let's just move on. But it sounds really nice and tidy that we'll get them an opportunity to get on with a playoff team. You know.
Speaker 4: You know one thing that that I just jumps out to me is that I think this year we've seen a resurgence of running backs around the NFL who were guys that you.
Speaker 3: Take care of themself in the set.
Speaker 4: But yeah, in the second third contracts and they are producing really well for teams this year. Do you think that Zeke here, do you think that his lack of production here was about other things, whether it was the offensive line, whether it was the opportune Do you think there were other things that were factored in or do you think it's just he just doesn't have what he once had.
Speaker 3: There were go ahead, no, no really played.
Speaker 5: There were there were multiple factors that I think played into Zeke not being nearly as effective as even anyone anticipated coming into the year. But I think it starts with him off the field. It starts with what happened off the field, him missing meetings, him losing support in the locker room. I mean it starts there, and then that stuff fizzles into when he actually does show up to the meetings, when he actually does get onto the field. I mean, you look at that forty nine Ers game and when Rico Daddle was ruled out for the illness really late in Ezekiel Elliott starts in that game.
Speaker 6: He didn't look comfortable the entire game.
Speaker 5: I mean, you had Dalvin Cook getting worked in with carries as well, But when Zeke had an opportunity, it didn't work out because, in my opinion of what had already been established off the field.
Speaker 3: No, I think you're absolutely right about that. I mean the guys you're talking about. They they you know, we got to you know, Derrick Henry. They they give him the award after a game the other day, like the red Velvet cake, and he's like not interested. Thanks. There's a guy that's kind of conscious of what he puts in his body, you know what. You know, probably asleep, probably spends a lot of money to take care of himself so he can play at a very very high level. Zeke reminds me of me when I was age. I had a great time in life. I absolutely had a great time in life, you know, and a lot of crazy things happened in my life at that time when I was his age, So I understand it. I got some Zeke in me.
Speaker 6: Was that a church in New York with Bill Parcells?
Speaker 3: No, No, that was a different trip. But but no, but I'm serious. There's you know, guys have fun in life. He had a lot of fun, you know, and I think that finally caught up to him in a lot of ways. And and so to me, uh, you know, I I'm I'm not surprised. I'm not surprised that it didn't work out. I would be really interested if we could do this, If Mike McCarthy, if you could get Mike McCarthy on the on the side and asked Mike McCarthy this question, did you really want Ezekiel Elliott here? I wonder what Mike McCarthy would say, And maybe you have to get Mike McCarthy when if he's no longer here, you get him off at the side at the combine or something like that and ask him that question. But I really really wondered if this was a front office driven thing, and then you know, and Mike was forced to, you know, the San Francisco game, Okay, we're gonna we're gonna load Zeke up here. You know, we're gonna. I'm gonna show you, you know what that's all about. So I think from the jump, just my opinion again that maybe there was a divide between the front office and the coaching staff on really what they what the vision was, or what they wanted to do with Ezekiel Elliott, and it never, for the entire season, never became anything of any any substance.
Speaker 8: I think right now, in my opinion, it would be very, very difficult to really evaluate Zeke's position at the moment and whether or not he would have been good and productive for these offense, even though he did get some chances at the beginning of the season, we saw what the running game was there. It didn't matter who was touching the ball and who was running. It just wasn't working with what the offensive line was doing for you. So right now, I do think if given the opportunity in a better situation somewhere else, I can see him being productive, still be productive. I think he needs a change of scenery for sure, because you can take you can see how off the field he wasn't the same zek like he He wasn't the same goofy, happy guy walking around. He didn't seem happy being here. And when you hear about missing meetings and things like that, it's very unlikely. It's it's not like.
Speaker 9: Zeke, like the Zeke we used to know that was here.
Speaker 8: And we saw even though he had that moment, his crazy little moments here and there at the beginning of his career, bring it up really quick. And he was a leader in there, in the locker room. He always stood in front of the media and always talked, and he took care of business. He was practicing and did what he needed to do. So whatever the reason may be.
Speaker 9: And I saw it a training camp.
Speaker 8: When he got there, he was putting in the work and he was like focused and kind of a tunnel vision. But it didn't pan out for him here. So I hope that he can find that happiness again, because you see it in a player. You see when someone has success and then all of a sudden they're not having that kind of same success or attention, And not that he's looking for the attention like that like in front of us or anything like that, or anything like that. I don't know how to describe it, but you see when someone's demeanor just changes. So hopefully he is able to find another team and just have a little a second chance, another a third chance, let's say, because this would be what he was here in Dallas, went to New England and then came back. So what would that be.
Speaker 6: Fourth chance?
Speaker 9: I don't know.
Speaker 8: I still wish him good luck and well because we know he deep down is a good guy.
Speaker 4: Let me ask you this, This is a bigger picture question based on what he's done here, because I think there was a time I think people sat quickly forget how good he was in twenty sixteen, and then those subsequent years, he was really really bad.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that all being said, do you think Zeke Kelly is a Ring of Honor caliber player?
Speaker 5: I had this conversation with someone a couple of days ago. The thing is if you if you get him in, it opens up a really much larger situation or conversation about a lot of other players around him, because if you put in Zeke, then you're putting in Dak, who you know may or may not be worthy of that by the end. And if you're putting in Dak, you're putting in Romo, and you're putting in Romo, you're putting in does put if you put in it's just it's kind of a domino effect from there.
Speaker 6: But if we're talking about Zeke in a vacuum, I don't know. That's tough, it's hard.
Speaker 4: I think he's one of those guys that you look at his reduction and when he was good man, he was really really, really good, but the longevity just wasn't there.
Speaker 6: Dorset is in right, Yeah he is. Yeah, yeah, Well.
Speaker 9: How many years do you need? How many?
Speaker 4: I don't know, I don't know. I don't know that there is a certain number. Because Charles Haley didn't. Yeah, he didn't have a large body of work here. Now you look at his overall career between here in San Francisco, he obviously had a pretty decently long career, but he didn't have a long time here in Dallas.
Speaker 2: But then you look at somebody like Dion.
Speaker 4: Dion I think had more years here than Charles Haley did I think in the ring is he No, he's not. I want to say, Dion's like five years here, six years here, Brian, you remember.
Speaker 3: Oh look, but I don't know what I had for breakfast.
Speaker 2: The whole point I'm making. The whole point I'm making.
Speaker 4: I think he is a really, really tough one because at the height he was as good as anybody that's done it here absent obviously EMMTT Smith and probably Dorset. Uh, but you know, other than that, Like, I just think he had a really great couple three four years and then it just kind of went away, And I just wanted that's enough to get him in.
Speaker 5: And we're talking an offensive rookie of the Year knocking on the door of MVP a couple of seasons, two time rushing leader. That's tough to do. I don't know that'll be an interesting conversation one day. If it were me, i'd put him in.
Speaker 6: Yeah, that's just me.
Speaker 2: I don't think he's Hall of Fame, but I think ring Van and he has a case.
Speaker 5: There's the fifteen on there too, like like Kobe gets the twenty four in the eight Yeah.
Speaker 3: Eh. The question, the question that I would ask is, I don't know if he was as good as Calvin Hill was. And I'm old enough to watch Calvin Hill.
Speaker 2: I never watched Calvin Hill, but yet knew of him, but I didn't.
Speaker 3: Watch Calvin Hill was a big part of some championship teams here, and so you know, you think about of course you're gonna think about Emmitt Smith, you're gonna think about Tony dor set. I personally me, I don't think DeMarco Murray gets nearly enough credit for being a good back here, you know. And so you know, am I saying that Ziekh's better as you look at DeMarco Murray? Sure? But I mean I Calvin Hill to me was just as just as when you go back in the seventies and watch him play, and you know, they played a shorter schedule, not a lot of teams, but every time the Dallas Cowboys needed a big game. Calvin Hill delivered, you know, And and so that's kind of where I'm I'm at. I think the I think the backs from the previous era, you know, the seventies, the eighties and then into the nineties, I think those backs are pretty special. But you guys did a special on Mariam Barber. He guys did a specially. You know, we've you've seen some really quality backs go through here. Zeke, you know, he's kind of probably the head of that group. But I don't know if I could put him ahead of Calvin Hill in my in my mind, and I'm the oldest one here and saw Calvin Hill play, so I can say that.
Speaker 2: Yep, that's fair. And I do think they'll obviously that.
Speaker 4: The interesting part is there's only one person, Jerry, that decides the Ring of honor.
Speaker 6: One person, Jerry, Yeah, right, yeah, And.
Speaker 4: We know he's very fond of him as a person, and uh, and I don't know if that colors the decision or not. I have no idea when Jerry knows that, but but we know he's very fond of of of a Zeke.
Speaker 10: So we'll see that.
Speaker 8: I mean, we saw Jerry's statement that came out. But do you think, given what has happened behind the scenes, behind the curtains in this couple of months that Zeke has been here, do you think the relationship has changed or been damaged a little.
Speaker 2: Bit or But I know of Jerry, I doubt that.
Speaker 3: Not with the front office. Maybe with the coaches.
Speaker 5: You can't hear any worse than some of those guys that are in the Ring of Honor. And that's that's not to discredit anybody that is in the ring. I'm just there's there's been off the field issues with a couple of those guys as well, and I don't think a couple of them weren't about as zekes.
Speaker 4: My thing is like, you just look at Jerry and you look at his players. I think Jerry's very, very, very loyal and those players that are his guys, they're going to forever be his guys. I don't care what happens because you look at somebody like dez Dez has a lot of problems with a lot of people that came through this building while he was here. You asked you open the question about what he thinks about Jerry Jones, and it is like he just loves the man, and it's vice versas Jerry just loves him.
Speaker 2: And it was some of those same.
Speaker 4: Things that we've kind of been hearing about, you know, the mis meetings all that. That was some of the same stuff that was happening with Daz back in the day. But the relationship is there between he and Jerry. It might not be there with anybody else in this building, but within him and Jerry, that relationship is there. So I just I feel like Jerry just he keeps the relationship with his guys and it just, for whatever reason, it stays regardless of what the player goes through. You know, there are a lot of guys around here who have had careers and have had a lot of problems off the field. Some of those guys are still working in this building because Jerry just has loyalty for them, you know.
Speaker 3: I just you know, if you I think if I got this right, if you go in the stadium, you have the pre nineteen eighty ninees on one side of the stadium and the post nineteen eighty nine's on the other side of the state. So yeah, there's a there's a distinguishing line there that you know, that that you can say, okay, well and then okay, you got guys that, like you say, the Romos, the Does Bryants, the Jason Witten's. I mean, there's there's Jerry them. Done a nice job getting players to come through here, just hasn't turned into the championships that you've seen on that opposite side of the stadium. You know, you get eight men and Emmin and Michael of course, but you know everybody else that goes in now with that group on that on that side, that's not going to be a super Bowl likely super Bowl winning player that goes up in there. And and now it turns into Nick is now watchdogging. You know, when he goes to a stadium, he goes look at these ring of honor dudes, Arizona is still.
Speaker 9: Yeah there loves doing that. He loves every time we look at.
Speaker 3: Who's fright Tripuka here? Who's what did he do? So yeah, you start watchdog and the other team spree of honor and then it gets you to appreciate the ring of honor you see ten times a year, you know when you go into that stadium.
Speaker 5: All right, I know we gotta go to break who are some guys that are due though Witten is it just Witting is is that the only home run Foreshore will be up there one.
Speaker 4: Day of the time that I've been here. Obviously, DeMarcus is already in. I think Witten definitely gets in. Then it becomes a situation of, like you said, if you start letting in the Romo Romos, the des like those are those were really good players, and I think they were fan favorites, But I don't know if you put them in the same category of the Triplets or of you know, those guys that were great and they won championship. Yeah, that's really just a hard thing. When you have a franchise that's won five championships, then it's almost like without a championship, it becomes very very difficult to get into that upper echelon of players, right, And in some franchises where they don't have that number of championships, it's a little easier, and some of those guys who had really great careers can get in because it's like, well, they didn't have championships, but these other people didn't either, So you know, I just think it's I think that's a tough one. I look at Witne Witnes is the only one for me that is a slam dunk. I don't think there's anybody Well, I take that back, I take that back. We're forgetting about the offensive lineman. Zach Martin is a slam.
Speaker 2: Tyren Smith is probably a slam dunk. We're not talking about the offensive line.
Speaker 6: But I think those two guys, Yeah.
Speaker 4: But those two guys added to wit and I think those are the three players to me that are I feel fairly certain they're going to end up in the Ring of Honor.
Speaker 8: You answer your own question, what very your initial question about Zeke? You just made the perfect.
Speaker 6: Argument right there without.
Speaker 4: Noting no, I think, but yeah, but Nick made the point like if you put him in the got to put it in a lot of other guys. And I just I think longevity. Longevity matters, to be honest with you. I think it's why Emmitt Smith is where he is from the standpoint of just how he's recognized him obviously being the leader in rushing yards in a career is because of his longevity. Like he wasn't he wasn't killing the league his last several years in the league.
Speaker 2: He just kept doing it, kept doing it.
Speaker 4: Over and over, and there's something to be said for that in the sport where injuries are a part of it. To be able to play that long, especially at a position like that where you're taking hits every play, like, I really think there's some value to that, and so I think that's probably why he doesn't end up.
Speaker 3: But who knows.
Speaker 2: It's Jerry's call, So only Jerry knows.
Speaker 6: It's gonna be interesting.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's it's funny. I was trying to think of how many Ring of Honor players are not Hall of Fame members, and I was thinking of Don Perkins is one of them. I know, I don't know if Don Meredith is another one. It's very very.
Speaker 2: Very few, rare Hall of Fame, so yeah, I think he is.
Speaker 3: I think that Perkins and Meredith might be the only two tex Shrims in the Hall of gil Brandts in the Hall of Fame. I mean, yeah, it's it's a very it's a it is a unique group of of you know, so now you're going to get into some situations woldn't will be a Hall of Famer well Romo will you know, will others? That's if your standard is Hall of Fame players and executives. Then your man, your list is going to be really really small from this this current group of guys at the Cowboys half.
Speaker 6: Is you're the only one in the Hall of Fame that's not in the Ring of Honor right now.
Speaker 3: Well the ring. I think Darren Woodson's the other one too. By the way, now I think that Darren Woodson is not in the Hall of Fame.
Speaker 4: But correct, that's got to manifesting hopefully this.
Speaker 3: So there's probably three guys that that were not that are that are in the Ring of hondor that they're not a Hall of Fame members.
Speaker 2: All right, we're gonna take our first break. We will come back.
Speaker 4: Let's dive into Washington offense on that in just second. Is the Dallas Cowboys dot com Radio.
Speaker 11: Todd thought it would be secure to jog in the cheatah Savannah. Todd believed the big Cat repellent he bought online was reliable. And now Todd is trying to be faster than this cheetah that can run eighty miles per hour. But the good news is Todd has at and T five g. It is fast, reliable, and secure, and he learned the best thing to do is stop running and toss her the backpack with the beef stew at and T five G Fast, reliable, Secure.
Speaker 10: Five G requires compatible plan and device. Five G may not be available in your area. See add dot com slash five G for you fifty deals.
Speaker 12: It's the official men's skincare brand of the Dallas Cowboys, Jack Black and right now Cowboys fans can get fifteen percent off their seventy five dollars order. Plus because every deal needs a playmaker, your order will include a free five piece skincare set and free shipping.
Speaker 2: The Jack Black Playmaker is four.
Speaker 12: Of Jack's favorites and a full sized intense therapy whipball. Make a play for the playmaker at Getjack Black dot com slash Cowboys with the code Cowboys VIP. That's get Jack Black dot com slash Cowboys with the code Cowboys VIP.
Speaker 13: Don't put off getting your oil change Dallas. Take five Oil Change, a proud partner of the Cowboys is faster than you think. They're so fast you don't even have to get out of your car. You can take advantage of Take fives, stay in your car ten minute oil change at any of their locations across the Dallas area. And remember at Take five you stay in your car because they're faster than you think. That means you won't even have time to show off your best touchdown celebration. Take five the official oil change of the Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 6: From the field to the festivities.
Speaker 14: Lu Casey embodies the essence of luxury and tradition. Handcrafted with meticulous precision, each pair offers unmatched comfort and style. Stay in tall while you're tailgating or cheering in the stands with the Dallas Cowboys Collection by Lucasey. Shop the collection today at the Lucasey store at the Starnfrisco or online at lucasey dot com.
Speaker 6: Casey the official boot.
Speaker 14: Of the Dallas Cowboys and Dallas Cowboys Cheerleaders.
Speaker 4: How do you tell the world about all the great gifts in the Yetti Store?
Speaker 15: Letter Rip Troy?
Speaker 16: All right, folks, let's get started with Yeddi French Press and Joe Colby This Day's Hot f Hours and French Press thirty four for six four for the cruise of yetty French Press.
Speaker 6: What mixed waterproof bags?
Speaker 16: Bags and waterproof some and where's the waterproof Doubl's water Prove bag bagsports mostly the water should get a water prove Yetti bag. Gont smell something cooking a new cast iron skillets made to be passed down like Mama's recipes. Take a steak, cornback commerce, pot pie and ptatoes. Next over with three sizes of the yetty casht iron skillets.
Speaker 4: Gear gifts and product experts visit the Yetti store on McKinney Street and at South Lake Town Square.
Speaker 15: Today, back to the Break, l G.
Speaker 9: Wait, my thme just messed up? Where is it? Okay? Here it is? Sorry, guys, apologize. It's a new year. Getting ready for this.
Speaker 8: LG all that Evil is the best TV in the game, but don't take our word for it. Digital trends said that LGOLEDG four has the best picture quality they've ever seen. See it for yourself at alg dot com slash oled evo.
Speaker 2: Welcome back.
Speaker 4: We are in the second segment of the Break with life from that s WVC Mortgage Studios at the Star and the segment's brought to you by blockchain dot Com. All right, let's talk about the Washington offense right now. They are fifth in scoring, they are fourth in total offense. They're sixteenth in passing offense, but they are third in rushing offense.
Speaker 3: Thank you, quarterback.
Speaker 2: I'm right.
Speaker 4: I'm going to take you back to the Cowboys first game with them, the first matchup this year, when they faced them in Washington. How well do you think the Dallas defense matched up against that Washington team in that first matchup?
Speaker 3: I felt like it was pretty good. I went back and watched the game just to make sure, and what they did was I like what Mike did with by putting Micah Parsons as a three technique and working against Nick Alagretti and Tyler Bottish and guys like that. So he kind of figured out that those those guys were going to struggle a little bit and they were able to get some pressure that way. Golston did a really nice job off the edge, you know, they were they were able to kind of create pressures. And then zim Are really like I said, he matched it up really good, putting his best players on their poorest blockers when it came, and there were a couple of times there were a couple of sacks Nick and No you remember this where Daniels is running outside the pocket, just unload the ball instead he kind of goes out of bounce and you're like, okay, thank you, sack. You know, sack. So yeah, this crew is hat. If you go back and watch the Atlanta game last week, this crew had problems with blitzing linebackers and then also some secondary pressure and that's what Zim did also too. We saw Wilson, you know, we saw we saw Jordan Lewis rushing and all that. So there was that that that the mug look, double a gap blitz stuff where pressure was gonna come from. Really confused, confused Daniels in that football game. His his reads weren't as clear, and I think I think that he could probably bet that we're going to see Michael Parsons move around, and because they're banged up at right tackle, Andrew Wiley has a growing problem. And so they used two different right tackles last week, you know, with with Scott and Lucas, and so it really wasn't as a good of a good of a combination for them. Wiley has been really good for them, So keep an eye on that, how that position or how the offensive line works out. But I think Zimmer's gonna hunt some matchups here Brandon Coleman, the rookie hunts some matchups there, he's given up some sacks. We think we talked about it last time we did this game. That that I think that's where things could could very well hinge for the Cowboys.
Speaker 6: I can almost guarantee.
Speaker 5: Leading up into that first matchup with Washington, Michael Parsons went to Mike Zimmer and he was like, Hey, I got something, line me up over Tyler Battish.
Speaker 6: I know I can doe this guy. And I don't know for sure, but I could.
Speaker 5: I could almost bet on it that that is what happened because you saw him generate inteer You're pressure more than that game than he has in any other game this year. Two sacks in that game for him and then, like you said, sending pressure from the linebacking court, from the secondary, uh it, it can.
Speaker 6: Disrupt a rookie quarterback.
Speaker 5: And you talk up with the double mug look as well, we could look at jayde Daniels, we look at c J. Stroud, we could look at Drew Locke. All these young quarterbacks of this defense has gone up against this year. Throwing that double mug disguise on them has given it has given them issues and so I think you can expect a little bit more of the same here.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they had some promise in the Atlanta games too, and some of the others that I watched that doubt was Blitz pick up with Brian Robinson. He was getting knocked around a little bit. Brian Robinson's a good player. Yeah, yeah, if you remember, if you yeah, if you remember, if you remember, in the in the game, first carry of the game against the Cowboys, he got twisted up. Mozzi got in the backfield and he got twisted up and it hurt his ankle and he really won. The same player. They think they're going to get back, They think that they might get back, uh uh Eckler. Yeah. So well he's a big part of what they do. And he did play that Cowboys, he did, and he got a concussion in the game and hadn't played since, so he's dealing with that. But this team loves to throw the ball down the field, especially with Terry McLaurin. He is going to make plays down the field, and they love to throw screens. Get ready for the wide receiver screens and get ready for the running back screens because they're going to screen you to death to kind of see if they can hold that rushing place.
Speaker 4: When you talk about the rushing game, Jayden Daniels rush for seventy four yards on seven carries against the Cowboys. No other player game more than twenty two rushing yards that game. Between Eckler and Robinson, how do you think they can better contain Daniels based on what they did in that first game?
Speaker 2: Or is this one?
Speaker 4: Is this a situation where you like, as long as you stop those other guys, you can be okay with him having some yards as he did in this game where.
Speaker 2: The Cowboys ended up with the win, said Eckler.
Speaker 4: No, I'm saying, how do you Daniel's if I'm.
Speaker 3: No, no, no.
Speaker 5: With with Daniel's eye, I think it's just sealing the edge. I think it's containing the edge, keeping him in the pocket as much as possible, And I think they did a good job of that in that first the first matchup, he did get away for a couple of runs, especially there in the fourth quarter where things got crazy, he got away for one. I think of that touchdown drive that they had that led to the turp in return. I look at that and I see a couple of Big Daniels runs. But aside from that, they did a good job keeping him in the pocket, keeping him contained, and they got four sacks on him, and that it was a really good job by guys like Chauncey Golston, by guys like marshn England wasn't back for that game, Michael Parsons whenever he was lined up on the edge, being able to contain the edge and get.
Speaker 6: But yeah, I would have to say.
Speaker 5: Just continue to contain him, don't let him go outside of the pocket, because that's when he can make things really dangerous.
Speaker 6: He did that against Philly.
Speaker 5: Philly didn't do a good job of keeping him contained, and you saw him use his athleticism not only in scampering away but also throwing on the run.
Speaker 6: He's he's a Heisman winner for a reason.
Speaker 8: Go Tigers question their position in the playoffs?
Speaker 9: Do they have it? Like? Does this game change anything?
Speaker 3: They need to win because if they win, there the sixth seed, which means they go play the Rams. If they lose in green Bay wins, they can fall to seven and then that way then green Bay would the green Bay would be the sixth seeds.
Speaker 2: So they're playing in but they.
Speaker 9: Have, Yeah, the position.
Speaker 3: They're either going to play the Rams or the Eagles. That's why if you listen to dan Quinn talk, he's he's adamant about trying to play this game and win because he wants to stay in the sixth seed is what he wants to do. He would rather he would rather deal with the Rams in indoor climate control conditions that he would have to make a trip to Philadelphia again.
Speaker 2: And that's like they're playing.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, so that's that's where that's where this is at right now. So they're gonna play. They're gonna play to try. Now there comes to a level where all of a sudden how much you're willing to play to win? You know what if you get behind and all of a sudden, then you start losing, you start to lose players then and then that quickly that playing the win bit turns into no, we're not playing anymore. But he's come out and set. He's trying to make sure that seating is important to him. Did he make sure that his team is seated in the best possible spot. And I don't know about you, but I'll take my chances playing the Rams that I would the Eagles. Yeah, you know, I'll take my chances.
Speaker 6: Help the Eagles team because they're going to be resting this week.
Speaker 2: So yeah, and they're just playing well right now. That's the herd they are.
Speaker 4: They are one of those teams that's going to be a factor, I think in the playoffs. So yeah, if you want to if you can avoid playing them the first round, you probably want to avoid playing them that early. What do you guys expect as far as how you how you uh? Or who will be playing opposite Bland? And knowing what you're talking about with McLaren, is this a situation where.
Speaker 3: He plays a lot? He plays?
Speaker 4: Would you think about having Bland travel with McLaren just because he's their best receiver by far?
Speaker 3: Sure?
Speaker 2: And Bland is your best corner by far.
Speaker 5: He did last week with Brown, Yeah, they finally traveled, but I think it came to a situation where they had seven corners on.
Speaker 3: The keys can play though too for them. Yeah, you know, true, he's he's he had a good game, and Brown they've got some receivers and so yeah, I mean to me, it's you're you're, you're you're in a bad spot. You're in a bad spot. At that cornerback, you know, unless you want to, like we've talked about here for the last several weeks, is if you just say, Okay, we're playing is he on the outside and we're to play Lewis on the inside, and occasionally we're gonna flip because you're not going to get Terry McLaurin in the in the in the slot that much. He plays outside primarily, his all his routes are on the outside. So you know, they they they're going to try and find a way to match him up on whoever your corner is opposite or bland if that's the case, traveling, you know, travel travel bland and just and just hope the hell that everybody else can hold up, you know.
Speaker 5: And I'm hoping keim On Hall is ready to go. I want to see him, but I'm hoping he's ready to go for this one.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I would love to just see him out there. I just want to see what he can do. I mean, I think he has some moments during training camp in the preseason. Be nice just to see what he can do.
Speaker 5: Had that pick six against Vegas, I remember that one specifically. That's probably the reason he made the team. Or the practice squad.
Speaker 9: Rather coming off a hamstring doesn't sound very promising.
Speaker 6: Especially one.
Speaker 2: So going into.
Speaker 8: That, Yeah, you guys want to be excited about this guy, but I'm saying, like he not hamstre seven.
Speaker 3: Let us have some enjoy it, right, I'll tell you what, Derek, you know you and if I can circle back on the whole thing with Daniels, you're not going to stop him running the ball. Yeah, I've seen it. I've seen it all. I've seen it his l s U years. I've seen it here. Now, you know, the the the hope is that the hope is that you you could find a way to kind of make him play backwards a little bit. We've seen that before with the quarterbacks that have that ability. But you know he's he's going to if he feels like he can make it. You know, if if it doesn't look clean to him, he's going to run.
Speaker 2: Let me ask he, Brian.
Speaker 4: And this is because you've watched him in college and the style of runner that he he is doesn't match. But it doesn't match his body type. No, he takes a lot of.
Speaker 3: His he doesn't know how he doesn't have to slap, he.
Speaker 2: Doesn't how to protect his body.
Speaker 4: Don't think he can hold up in an NFL career continuing to do what he's done to this point.
Speaker 3: No, No, he can't because he takes some wicked ass hits and he gets up. But you wonder. You know, early in the year he was dealing with the oblique or ribs or whatever it was. You know, he's on the sidelines. I got a big pad around him, and he's waiting, waiting, and then they take off the pad and he goes and plays, and it affected the way he played. They were not as good offensively when he was banged up. Yeah, I've seen him take some of the most violent shots, you know, and I'm thinking he's not getting up, and he gets up, and you know, he keeps playing. But he's a slightly built guy. He's tall, he's thin, and but he is so smooth running the ball. It's like he runs and it's seven yards and you're thinking, like, that doesn't look like a seven yard run. But that's how he plays. And he's got that feel for how to do when he gets to the side, to get the first and get out of bounce or you know, get what he needs, turn back up inside or make the read and all. So this is going to be a difficult, difficult matchup for the Cowboys again this week, and having to deal with the quarterback that runs. They haven't handled that very well this year.
Speaker 4: All right, we're gonna take our final break. We will come back suck a little Pro Bowl. He's got some Pro bowlers in here. We'll talk about that when we come back down with them.
Speaker 3: Right now.
Speaker 17: Yeah, if you can't be at the stadium, there's no better way to watch your Cowboys than on an lg O lead Evo TV. That's because everything you see is more lifelike, every play.
Speaker 3: Every hit.
Speaker 6: I mean, you might just will be on the sidelines.
Speaker 2: That's how clear it is.
Speaker 17: It's all thanks to LG's legendary technology, perfect black, over eight point three million self lit pixels.
Speaker 6: No one comes close.
Speaker 17: Lg O led Evo is the best TV in the game for a reason. See for yourself at LG dot com slash o lead Evo.
Speaker 7: They say champions are remembered, but legends are never forgotten. United agin Turf offers a winning lineup of John Deere equipment built to tackle any challenge on and off the field. Legendary John Deere tractors, combines residential mowers, commercial mowers, compact construction equipment, hater utility vehicles, and a full line of golf and sports turf equipment. United Agon Turf, the official agonturf equipment supplier of the Dallas Cowboys. Visit United dagonturf dot com to find a location near you.
Speaker 6: If you shout how about them Cowboys?
Speaker 5: You have that undeniable passion that's the heart of Cowboys Nation. And if you like to drink Doctor Pepper, you love the unique blend of its twenty three flavors. Together, you're one of a kind fandom paired with the one of a kind taste of a delicious ice cold Doctor Pepper is the game day lineup that can't be beat better yet, Gather your Cowboys and Doctor Pepper fan friends to watch the next game and crack open a delicious ice cold Doctor.
Speaker 6: Pepper for everyone. The wins will be even tastier. It's a Pepper thing.
Speaker 15: And we're going to overtime.
Speaker 2: Erica, how much have I spent on concessions?
Speaker 18: For questions about their money, Dallas Cowboys fans turn to Erica, the virtual financial assistant in the Bank of America Mobile Banking app. Learn more at Bankofamerica dot com slash Erica by your Side. Bank of America Official Bank of the Dallas Cowboys. Erica responses me very digital tools featured required downloading the mobile banking app and may only be available on select mobile devices. Erica is a mobile feature only available in the English language. Your chap may be recorded and monitored for quality assurance, message data rates. Additional terms may apply. Bank of America and a member FDIC.
Speaker 11: Todd thought it would be secure to jog in the Cheatah Savannah. Todd believed the big cat repellent he bought online was reliable, and now Todd is trying to be faster than this cheetah that can run eighty miles per hour. But the good news is Todd has AT and T five G. It is fast, reliable, and secure, and he learned the best thing to do is stop running and toss her the backpack with the beef stew At and T five G. Fast reliable, Secure.
Speaker 10: Five G requires compatible plan and device five G may not be available in your area. See add dot com slash five G for you fifty details.
Speaker 2: Back to the break.
Speaker 9: AT and T connecting changes everything.
Speaker 2: Welcome back.
Speaker 4: It is the final segment of the Break live from the SWBC Mortgage Studios at the Starles Talk Pro Bowl.
Speaker 2: Cowboys get five players into the Pro Bowl.
Speaker 4: There were only I think I think I heard this morning there were only four teams with more Pro Bowl selections than the Dallas Cowboys, which is pretty remarkable to say that they've had the year that they have. But Tyler Smith, Ceedee Lamb, Michael Parsons, Brandon Aubrey, and Cavante.
Speaker 2: Turpin all make the Pro Bowl.
Speaker 4: Any surprises for you guys, either with guys that got in or maybe even some guys that you thought should have gotten in that did.
Speaker 5: Not give credits to where credits do. I'll start there with Cavante Turpin getting in. I think he's very well deserved. I think he's the best return specialist in the league. He'll be a first team All Pro. Looking at CD the year he had. That's great, Micah, that's great everything. Why is Jordan Lewis doing the Pro Bowl?
Speaker 6: What is this?
Speaker 3: What is this?
Speaker 6: Okay?
Speaker 5: All right, we got we got some numbers. I'm about to I'm about to go a little sick o. Can I go sick o?
Speaker 2: For a little bit, go for it.
Speaker 5: So four four corners made the Pro Bowl in the NFC. Of those four corners stacked up with Jordan Lewis, Jordan Lewis allowed the second least amount of receiving yards to those guys. I'll put that with the caveat that he got credited for that eighty.
Speaker 6: Six yard touchdown in Washington. He did, and I do not.
Speaker 5: Believe that that should be the case, but that's what Pro Football Focus gave him.
Speaker 6: So we're going to give it to him here.
Speaker 5: But if you want to throw that caveat, and I'm sure and there could be some caveats with some of these other guys, we'll put that there.
Speaker 6: When it comes to miss Tackles, I don't think the third least.
Speaker 3: I don't think Next Gen gave him that. I think they gave that one too.
Speaker 6: There were.
Speaker 2: Next year, right, I think they're winning.
Speaker 5: I think Hooker got that one in next year. It should have been Hooker. It should have been Hooker. In my opinion, miss tackles.
Speaker 19: For the story, Miss Tackles third least out of these guys we're talking Byron Murphy and Minnesota, JC Horn for Carolina, Jalen Johnson for the Bears, Devin Witherspoon for the Seahawks.
Speaker 5: Now, if it's a situation where they can only get in one nickel corner and they put in Devin Witherspoon over Jordan Lewis, I still don't agree with that.
Speaker 6: I don't agree with it.
Speaker 5: We're looking at Devin Witherspoon giving up five hundred and thirty six yards through the air compared to Jordan Lewis's four hundred and five. Byron Murphy gave up seven hundred and twenty. Like, what are we talking about here? Who's watching the film? Who's making these decisions? Put Jordan Lewis in?
Speaker 4: And to Marvin and Oversham, can I complicate your argument a little bit?
Speaker 6: Absolutely?
Speaker 3: Please?
Speaker 4: Did you ever look at yards per per? I guess yards per rep.
Speaker 6: The reason why I say the exception, Well, no more.
Speaker 4: I'm trying to figure out how you can do it as the number of yards they gave up based on the number of targets they got. Because as a nickel corner, maybe he played less meant less reps than some of the guys that played on the outside, which may have meant that he gave up fewer yards I'm just trying to see if that.
Speaker 2: Made a difference in the numbers that you were quoting there.
Speaker 5: I will say, of the five that we're talking about here, he had the second, uh, the second least amount of targets. Okay, JC, excuse me. Jayalen Johnson was the only one that had less target targets. Jaylon Johnson's the best corner in the NFL.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I'm not.
Speaker 5: I'm not arguing Jalen Johnson here. I'm arguing Byron Murphy and Devin Witherspoon. I think Jordan Lewis is better than those two guys. I think he had a better year than those two guys. It's my opinion.
Speaker 4: Hey, I'll tell you this, regardless whether they made the Pro Bowl or not, and maybe maybe he still gets in. You know, sometimes you'll have guys that can't go or whatever. But regardless of that, what we know is this was, in my opinion, the best year he's had it in his career, which is which is something to say at the stay this stage of his career to still be ascending. I think it's been a phenomenal year for him. So I think all the accolades are due, and they're warranted. It's just when you start getting into this year, you're really splitting here when you.
Speaker 8: Start I don't think he's ever been in the Pro Bowl conversation. I think so in his career so far. So to your point, it is very impressive that we are actually having this conversation about him and the way that he's overcome everything that he's overcome and got into this point. So maybe that's not something to keep an eye on with backups and.
Speaker 2: What do they call them replacement.
Speaker 8: Replacements, because I know CEEDI lamb, I'm sure I would imagine he doesn't go.
Speaker 2: But you know that's the thing.
Speaker 4: Now, now that there's not an actual game, I wonder if more guys will be like, yeah, I'll show up to be able to do or I'll just show up to wear a ball cap and just like hang out with.
Speaker 2: I think it's probably gonna be a lot of guys. I don't know, there will be a lot of.
Speaker 4: Guys unless you literally have to have surgery or you got you know, some other committment you got to go to. I mean, it's a free week to go hang out with with the other guys around the league. So my guess is that there will be a lot of people that that probably show.
Speaker 3: Up with.
Speaker 6: Maybe replaced.
Speaker 2: You think you just don't want care. He doesn't care. I don't want to go.
Speaker 9: Imagine playing Talk Award, you know.
Speaker 2: But I'm saying he might still go, is what I'm saying.
Speaker 4: Because there is no game, he can still they do they do that?
Speaker 2: Like I guess that's the point, Like will they replace him for.
Speaker 6: Yeah, there was a player a couple of years ago.
Speaker 5: I forget who, but he had just had an ankle surgery and he was on the sideline and crunches.
Speaker 4: Have games though, Like that's what I'm saying now that there's not games and everybody does everybody.
Speaker 2: Do something in some of the competition type stuff.
Speaker 4: I believe so because there's even a game show this year, so you don't have to necessary start. Yeah, you don't necessarily have to actually do anything physical to be a part of all a Pro Bowl week, Right.
Speaker 6: They should just do like a three on three basketball tournament.
Speaker 2: That's the last thing.
Speaker 3: JA, let's football again.
Speaker 4: Somebody wrecked his knee at the Sander Edwards Yeah, yeah.
Speaker 6: But justin Jefferson a running point.
Speaker 4: Oh my gosh, it's a I think it's a good showing for the Cowboys running after all that's happened this year for them to get five guys in.
Speaker 2: And I love it.
Speaker 4: For Brandon Aubrey, I think it's well deserved and I think it's not even close. He's the best kicker in the NFL and if I could get him at Texas, I would try very hard to do that if he's got some I texted you that.
Speaker 3: After the game. I said, congratulations, and think Aubrey's off next week? You can mini no.
Speaker 2: I literally was like, does he have anyellow?
Speaker 4: You know?
Speaker 3: It's it's funny though, when nice when you get these kickers, and it's it comes down to it's like a forty eight yard field gold or a thirty eight yard field gold, and you're just you shouldn't be thinking about it. You should think about me celebrated and now that things are hooking and hitting off the uprights and you're like, it's thirty eight damn yards.
Speaker 2: Are if you can't do what are we doing thirty eight yard kicked?
Speaker 5: Then?
Speaker 3: What? Yeah?
Speaker 2: What are we doing?
Speaker 3: I mean, we need to spend some nil money on kickers. That's what we're going to do. Let's let's yeah, like, hey, listen.
Speaker 6: I'm sorry.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm sorry. Backup, quarterback, dude, you're not getting a million dollars. We're going to pay our kicker.
Speaker 2: Tell me what to send my money. I'm sending my money. I want to kick. Give me a kicker.
Speaker 3: That'd been awful to lose that game twice yesterday for Texas. If you if either one of those kicks, I mean, you lose that game and you drove into position both times, and you this and I mean that, that would have been a hard way to lose. Oh yeah, well me for Arizona State was a hard way to lose the game too. Yeah, fourth and fifteen.
Speaker 5: I watched the game from a sidecar social over here in the Star District supports the Star District, and whatever that field goal dooinked off the upright to end the game. You would have thought that, you know, something happened in there. You would have thought, like somebody passed out. They're like, oh my god. But the fourth and thirteen, I completely.
Speaker 6: I was like, this is over, this is it.
Speaker 4: I honestly, I'd gotten to a point where I was already thinking, Okay, how am I going to handle this? We're gonna lose this game, and I know I'm gonna start getting the text and the phone calls you all right, and I'm respawn or should I just ignore everybody? Should I turn off my phone and just walk away? And then obviously yeah, everything happens from that point and it's like, okay, great, we won.
Speaker 5: But man, I know this isn't talking longhorns but sending seven on fourth and thirteen.
Speaker 2: Thank you?
Speaker 5: What are you?
Speaker 2: Thank you?
Speaker 4: Honestly, we necessarily picked up, like when they said pressure, pressure, they had gotten there and they created some problems for I get the point of what they were trying to do.
Speaker 2: It just didn't work.
Speaker 3: Two stupid pills and a cup of Gatorade Game, I'll tell you what, Jim han me my two stupid pills and a cup of game.
Speaker 2: But we are moving on long ones to the semi.
Speaker 9: Say no to drugs.
Speaker 4: If you guys join us, we'll be back tomorrow. We'll wrap this thing up. It'll be our final show of this season.
Speaker 2: Till then.
Speaker 4: For Nick Harris, Brian brot us In Ambergarci, I'm Derek Eagleton. This has been The Break live on Dallas Cowboys dot Com Radio.
Speaker 1: This has been a production of dallascowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club