Speaker 1: You are listening to the Dan Patrick Show on Fox Sports Radio.
Speaker 2: We did it. We made it to a Thursday a't hour one. Dan and the Dan A's Dan Patrick Show. Come on in stay a while. Kevin O'Connell, the NFL Coach of the Year, the Vikings head coach, will stop by a little bit later on. He was voted, I don't know how scientific this vote, was the second best looking coach in the NFL.
Speaker 3: Yes, bo, well, you said that. I thought you're gonna say sexiest coach alive.
Speaker 2: No, well, second best sexiest coach alive. I don't know. Now I have an idea. Who is the best looking coach in the NFL? Todd, would you like to guess who is the best looking?
Speaker 4: I don't.
Speaker 2: Once again, I don't know the results of this, but I know that Kevin O'Connell finished second as the best looking coach in the NFL.
Speaker 4: Could I get a minute to think about that?
Speaker 2: Okay, Marvin, how about you? Who's your coach?
Speaker 4: Matt Laflor.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think that's the guy. I think that's a bloop bloop. Kevin O'Connell's not even the best looking coach in his own division. I think is what we're saying.
Speaker 4: Yes, where we put Sean mcvagh, would he be a top five?
Speaker 2: Sorry, you can put him in there. Yeah. I don't know how you get your beard like that where it doesn't get, you know, thicker, it's a you know, Don Johnson used to do that with Miami Vice, where you were like, how does he get it to look like that every single day? Yes, Pauline, you get.
Speaker 3: One of those beard trimmers and put on setting three and just do one lap around and it keeps it permanently.
Speaker 2: As a four D eight growth.
Speaker 3: Hmmm, he's definitely got one of those.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I could never do that anyway, it wouldn't look good. But I always was envious of those guys like Sean McVay. It feels like he wakes up with the five o'clock shadow and he looks good with it. But we'll talk to Kevin O'Connell. Heidi Gardner very talented actress. Saturday Night Live. She's been there I think six or seven years. She's also in what's the Harrison Ford Shrinking Shrinking at Jason Siegel, She's in that as well. Fiftieth anniversary If you haven't heard of Saturday Night Live coming up this weekend eight seven seven three d P Show email address Dpadanpatrick dot com, Twitter handle at DP Show. Stat of the Day is always brought to you by Pandora and Panini America, the official trading cards of the Dan Patrick Show.
Speaker 5: Stata, the Jay stat of the Jay, We Love your.
Speaker 3: Stata, the Day Stata, the j Stanta, the j oh damn.
Speaker 2: Give us that stat of the day. All right, that's Pandora from Lake Tahoe and her husband said that he's going to send in a picture of Pandora. That's a great audience.
Speaker 4: Yes, Marvin, surprisingly she's not black.
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, we found that out as well. Good morning. If you're watching on Peacock, thank you for downloading the app. And our radio affiliates around the country over four hundred cities and carry this program, play the day, pole, question, stat of the Day, all of that coming up. The NBA at the All Star break and it's the Cavaliers and the Thunder. As the network executives go, oh my god, if it's the Cabs and the Thunder in the NBA Finals, what are we going to do? I'm going to watch? But they played great basketball. The Lakers after the joy of Luca's debut against Utah. Then they go to you, you're not beating Utah at Utah. Mister. They got roughed up last night and so they're five hundred with Luca right now. Todd, you got poll questions today. You're fired up. By the way. This is a meet Thursday because we're off tomorrow. I wanted to spend the entire day with my wife from morning. Mister Love, Yes, doctor Love, I'm Kevin Love, that's me. But uh so we're off tomorrow to get started on a vacation week. The guys certainly earned it. We uh worked hard during the NFL season, very little time off. So we're going to take a Valentine's Day off and then next week off as well.
Speaker 3: Yes, Paul, quick question for you in the room on Valentine's Day? Is a nice dinner out enough or is a gift assumed included in the process.
Speaker 2: I think that really has to go with just the individual of you've got to I don't think there's a universal if you do this or you should should do that. I don't. I don't. I wouldn't subscribe to that. I would just say you probably know what you did before, or maybe you need to do a little more this year. Yes, Dodd, my watch says at.
Speaker 6: Least and I believe her that she does not want anything. And I mean she doesn't want anything, if you know what I mean. It's just Friday on the calendar. I don'tkay Valentine's Day. It's a man made, made up bend cute babies or not.
Speaker 2: Like a present. She just doesn't want your present.
Speaker 3: She doesn't want to unwrap you.
Speaker 4: I like to go to bed at eight thirty and i'll see you tomorrow and we'll figure out what.
Speaker 2: By the way, it's a meet Thursday, So I said to Tyler, let's fire up the triggers. So we got smoked ribbis and we had these salt crusted, loaded baked potatoes. Who has it better than we do?
Speaker 4: No body?
Speaker 2: Alrighty. This first hour brought to you by Keeper's hard new unique style of whiskey that combines the best of Irish and American whiskey, creating the smooth character of Irish whiskey and the bold flavors of American whiskeys. If you're a whiskey fan, try it. Please drink responsibly eight seven seven three DP. Show operator Tyler is sitting by to take your phone calls. Seaton, Oh, no, Todd your poll questions today.
Speaker 4: Uh, we'll start with I have here.
Speaker 6: If I only said four Nations and left off the face off part, would you know what sport I was talking about?
Speaker 4: Absolutely?
Speaker 6: Possibly, no chance four Nations versus four nations face off?
Speaker 2: Yeah, but if you're watching ESPN, then you know what is happening. And I watch ESPN usually around the horn part in the interruption, and I saw the promos there. I loved it. I thought it was wonderful. I thought there was true excitement for what is deemed their All Star weekend. I thought they did a great job. I thought it was fun. And I know we keep talking about this with the NBA, the United States versus everybody else, and the pushback I always get from an NBA anostar, are there enough talented players from around the world to compete with the US team? And I said, well, you probably have five of the best seven players who weren't from the United States, so that's a good start. But you know you got that it meant something.
Speaker 4: Now.
Speaker 2: I don't know if it's going to mean something to Joker to be playing or Yannis. I mean whoever, whoever you want to put in there, are they going to be? How excited? How important is this to them? But you know, with the Four Nations, I loved it. It was exciting. The uniform that Canada Jersey gorge awesome, look like it was out of the nineteen twenties, something that Montreal Canadians would have worn, but it was gorgeous. So watching that it was exciting. And I think anything that you're watching, you want to know why am I getting invested? If you're not? Well, they were invested, and so was. I thought it was exciting, So I'm fine with it. I knew exactly what it was and it lived up. No, it exceeded expectations because they played hard. All right? What else?
Speaker 4: Don Okay, how about this one? How would you feel?
Speaker 6: This is Tristan Thompson had a late dunk in the Cavs Raptors game in Toronto and that kind of upset some of the Raptors players. So my question is, how would you feel of your opponent dunked on your team in the final seconds of a blowout win. Choices being I would be livid and might even getting that player's face.
Speaker 4: I wouldn't appreciate it very much.
Speaker 6: Hope to return the favor though down the road shrug my shoulders and think to myself, was that.
Speaker 4: Really necessary or I wouldn't care at all? We lost? Move on.
Speaker 2: This is really really deep for a meaningless game against the Toronto Raptors.
Speaker 6: It's also after the super Bowl in mid February, and we could talk about Luca over one and one.
Speaker 4: They're two and one. They're two and three with Luca. They're three and four with Luca.
Speaker 2: If you dunked against the Raptors, did it really happen? Nobody cares the fact that it's Tristan Thompson. Then I'm gonna say, hey, good for him. Now he's still holding on for you know who's still in the NBA. I had no idea. I thought that this might have been his son. Taj Gibson had ten points in the Hornets win or a loss against the Magic. He is almost forty years of age. I thought that can't be the Taj Gibson that I remember, but it is. He is the oldest Hornet to record a double double since Robert Parrish in nineteen ninety six. Whoa stead of.
Speaker 7: A day, Stana day Statava day stand outa day.
Speaker 2: This is the Stan of the day. Who were the oldest player? I know, we look at Lebron, but we got to take him off the board. But the oldest players in the NBA.
Speaker 3: Active players this year, Lebron James is the oldest. Taj Gibson at thirty eight. Second, Chris Paul, PJ. Tucker still do it, Jeff Green, m Al Horford, Kyle Lowry, et cetera, et cetera.
Speaker 2: No, Taj is thirty nine years, two hundred and thirty three days. He's not thirty eight. Oh sorry, yeah, yeah, he's thirty nine going on forty years of a Taj Gibson. By the way, I know I focus on Joker when he gets his triple doubles. Russell Westbrook Junior the third won an MVP because he averaged a triple double. We go back to Oscar Robertson back in what nineteen sixty two when he had a triple double, when we didn't even know it was a triple double. It was just he averaged double figures in three different categories and then somebody said that's a triple double. Well, everybody is putting up triple doubles. It feels like there have been one hundred triple doubles so far this season. That's the second time in the last twenty years there have been at least one hundred triple doubles prior to the All Star break. The only other season that had more was twenty twenty one to twenty twenty two, so hasn't been that long of a stretch in between. Here Also, everybody gets thirty points. It feels like one hundred and twenty three different players have had a thirty point game so far this season. Only one other season in NBA history had more. That's the twenty twenty two, twenty twenty three season. Steat of the Day, SAT of the Day, that past stat of the day, stat of the day?
Speaker 8: Here comes that what stat of.
Speaker 9: The new.
Speaker 2: And we suggested this last week. How about we have a triple dozen where you have to have at least twelve points, twelve rebounds, welve assists. Can we dress it up a little bit here, or we make it just like Joker does he gets a triple double in three quarters. That if you get it in three quarters, then we'll count it as a triple double. If you get it in four I mean the degree of difficulty of what's going on right now. I mean, there are incredible scores. I watched the Knicks and the Hawks last time. I wish they played once a week. Absolutely, it was great back and forth and the Knicks winning that game, although I would have thought up six with ten seconds to go in regulation. But Trey Young played well, Karl Anthony Towns played well, Brunson had a big night. It was a lot of fun. But the triple double is kind of losing its luster there.
Speaker 10: Yes, Marvin going back to the Knicks, can we apologize to Carl Anthony Towns. We've been calling him soft, as Jimmy Butler said he was soft.
Speaker 2: Who called it? I didn't call him soft, the general I'm not the general public.
Speaker 10: Everyone except Dan Patrick. Yes, I was calling him.
Speaker 2: I just said, he said he's the best shooting big men of all time. Right he did. Yes he's not. He's not. But he he's a perimeter big, he's a finesse big man.
Speaker 4: He's a tall man.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he's not a big man. Yes, excuse me. He changed the game, he gained Yeah. So when you say things like that, then people there you invite criticism. But I mean, he had what forty four last night.
Speaker 5: Yes, Karl Anthony Town's statements about how he changed the game are the basketball equivalent of Tommy Shaw saying it was Zeppelin Stones sticks.
Speaker 8: What was wrong with that?
Speaker 2: Uh? So you're saying it should have been Zeppelin sticks, the sticks and stones right right, exactly exactly So Tommy Shaw lead singer of Sticks, he was a guitar player player one of Dennis the Young was the lead singer. Y Yes, Jepeland Stones Sticks. I went to a Braves game with Tommy Shaw, of course. Awesome. Yeah, I mean the yeah Thomas, Yeah, big baseball fan, nice guy. But uh yeah, Rando, But yeah, I ended up going to a baseball game, Yes, Paul Karl Anthony Town.
Speaker 3: Though five years ago he was averaging twenty seven points and twelve rebounds, and then the last two years of Minnesota his rebounds dropped to eight point one eight point three, and he started getting the rep that we'd seen his best work and he's not battling hard by the boards. This year he's up to twenty five points per game, thirteen point five rebounds.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and those are great numbers, absolutely, But if you're that great, you should put up great numbers if you tell me you're great, I expect you to put up great numbers. Carl Anthony Towns, Yeah, Cat, as they like to call on Cat. You know, when the timber Will made him expendable, nobody was crying out, Like when Luca was made expendable by the Dallas Mavericks. It wasn't one of those Are you're giving up one of those generational But if this is the guy who's changed the game and the best shooting big man of old time, you would have thought there have been a lot of people interested in Karl Anthony Towns. Bunny had a big night last night and the Knicks got the win prior to the All Star break. What else do you have there? You know what, Todd, let me take a break.
Speaker 4: We can do that.
Speaker 2: We're just getting started. Oh my goodness, I just found out from Todd there will be a Rhyme Time coming.
Speaker 6: Up, Valentine's Day edition of Rhyme Time. Can you only have a good idea to when we make it a round of them?
Speaker 2: Can you give the audience just a sample because they're gonna have to plan their morning accordingly. We could do that, right, Okay, okay, just explain, give us an example of rhyme time, just so people can say, you clear my calendar, Sally, I'm gonna be waiting for rhyme time.
Speaker 6: I'm gonna give you two words or phrases, and the answers for those clues rhyme with one another.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 4: So for example, we would have.
Speaker 6: Money a thing for her, quiet, money a thing for her, and that answer would.
Speaker 2: Be hush, crush, hush crush.
Speaker 4: Good job, Seaton.
Speaker 2: See how easy how it is. That's it, that's nailed. That's how we rolled today.
Speaker 4: That have seventeen others on this so we got this show.
Speaker 2: Okay, just to let the audience know, this was a homework assignment that PAULI gave to Fritzie about thirty five minutes ago. And you've you came up with eighteen of the rhymetimers. So now we're down to seventheen, all right, Great.
Speaker 1: Fox Sports Radio has the best sports talk lineup in the nation. Catch all of our shows at Foxsports Radio dot com and within the iHeartRadio app search FSR to listen live.
Speaker 11: Hey, Steve Covino and I'm Rich David, and together we're Covino and Rich on Fox Sports Radio. You could catch us weekdays from five to seven pm Eastern two to four Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and of course the iHeartRadio app. Why should you listen to Covino and Rich. We talk about everything life, sports, relationships, what's going on.
Speaker 1: In the world.
Speaker 11: We have a lot of fun talking about the stories behind the stories in the world of sports and pop culture, stories that well other shows don't seem to have the time to discuss. And the fact that we've been friends for the last twenty years and still work together, I mean that says something, right, So check us out. We like to get you involved too, take your phone calls, chop it up. As they say, i'd say, the most interactive show on Fox Sports Radio, maybe the most interactive show on planetar. Be sure to check out Covino and Rich live on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio app from five to seven pm Eastern two to four Pacific, And if you miss any of the live show, just search Covin on Rich wherever you get your podcasts, and of course on social media.
Speaker 2: That's Covino and Rich, head coach of the Minnesota Vikings and the NFL Coach of the Year, Kevin O'Connell joining us. Didn't I tell you were going to be the Coach of the Year the last time you were on.
Speaker 8: You called it, Dan, You absolutely called your shot and I.
Speaker 2: Didn't get a shout out. I didn't get a shout out that night when you were accepting your award.
Speaker 9: Let me, I'm gonna throw you on the list of folks that I've heard that from. And whether it's Doohn McVay, Damn Patrick, you would you would not believe that. But you, I'm sure you would know with all the hardware that you've earned over the over illustrious career, about those threats you get to the folks from Hey, you you know when you hear the music, just know you better get off the stage because the armed guards are coming after that and they're gonna escort you right off, so you better keep it tight.
Speaker 2: Where's your award?
Speaker 9: I actually don't have it yet. They they take it back from you. It's the award you cherish. You're so excited to have it, and then somebody takes it back and says, we'll send it to you. I didn't know if that was you know, them saying there could be a recount for something. But no, I'm hoping to get it soon.
Speaker 2: Where did you watch the Super Bowl?
Speaker 9: I actually made it, made it back home to Minneapolis. I always like watching it with my with my kids. My two boys love watching football, So I made it back and watched the game at home.
Speaker 2: Are you watching as a dad or a coach?
Speaker 8: Oh?
Speaker 9: The second that ball gets kicked off, I was watching as a coach, just knowing. You know, obviously Andy Reid his staff's bags like, I got so much respect for them. I was fascinated to see kind of how Vic Fangio would decide to play against that offense and Patrick and just the unique little things that take place in a game.
Speaker 8: You know.
Speaker 9: The funny thing is that that game gets two weeks of coverage, and having coached in it in twenty twenty one, you look back on it and it's always these small, impactful plays normally that have such magnified impacts on the game, and it's all it's all it's all rhythm of the game, it's all momentum. But when you know, you get a performance out of a front like like what Philly's front was able to do, that can be such an equalizer. And we've seen that over you know, I even think back to when I was going through the draft process. I was in Arizona and and and watched that Giants versus Patriots kind of perfect team. I inevitably was drafted by that Patriots team after that. But just what a defensive front can do to equalize a game and the greatness and in many ways of an offense can be neutralized like Philly was able to do.
Speaker 8: It was remarkable.
Speaker 2: But a defensive philosophy going in to Patrick Mahomes is we're not going to blitz. I mean, that's pretty amazing. I would think that you're comfortable with your four and then I mean, if you do the math, that's a great advantage for the Eagles defense and their secondary if for can get there. And uh, and it certainly looked like Mahome he didn't get uncomfortable very often, but he was uncomfortable in the pocket. Yeah.
Speaker 9: And I think Dan, like historically you've seen a lot of teams with strong fronts, like that's the game plan, right, try to maximize your coverage. You've got Travis Kelce, you've got some you know, speed and and and d Hop and different skill players, and you're really kind of daring them to be able to, you know, overcome your four man pass rush, and then are they you know, they always do a really good job running the football both under center out of a gun, but you've historically seen that and the problem is when that game plan doesn't have success, Uh, then Andy Reid and Patrick Maholmes, they know what's coming. So now the pressure will start showing up the five six man blitzes, and that's when they have made a lot of plays to create the dynasty that they are at that point.
Speaker 8: So it's a it's an.
Speaker 9: Aggressive strategy and a lot of ways because you're setting yourself up. If they're able to move the football against that four man Russian seven man coverage, you're gonna have to kind of show your cards from there. And those are some pretty world class people to do that against. So when it does work and it is effective, now it's about can you sustain it long enough and also play I have the right kind of offense on the other side, which they certainly do with Saquon and Jalen Hurts and those receivers all behind that offensive line. It was impressive night for the Eagles, for sure.
Speaker 2: The NFL Coach of the Year Kevin O'Connell of the Vikings. Can you play this what if can you play this hypothetical? If JJ McCarthy doesn't get injured, who is your starting quarterback this past season?
Speaker 8: Well, I would say this, Dan.
Speaker 9: We had just seen JJ, you know, play in his first preseason game. There was a lot of positive things on that tape that you know, left us as a coaching staff saying, you know, we absolutely need to see this thing through to the end of training camp. But at the same time, everybody, and rightly so, everybody was talking about JJ as the first round pick and exciting young player. We're fired up to have an organization. Sam Darnold was having a really good camp and it was showing up day in and day out. You know, It's it's one thing to you know, go to training camp practice every day, but when those guys are competing against Brian Flores in that defense, it's not exactly you know, standard defense that you're going to be able to say. You know, your quarterbacks really haven't been in stressful environments yet, so we need to get to the games our quarterbacks. You know, over since flow has gotten here, they can't wait for those preseason games to come because what.
Speaker 8: They're going up against every every single day in practice.
Speaker 9: So I love the fact that flow pushes us all to be better and our quarterbacks get to be in a massively stressful environment every day, which only helps competitions and helps you figure.
Speaker 8: Out what you have.
Speaker 9: But I would I would argue that I think both guys would have continued on through and I would I would probably say, you know, Sam Donald would have been our starting quarterback just out of the experience and knowing that I am very much constantly aware of the minute to minute, hour to hour, day to day development of quarterbacks. It's very important to me that I take the personal ownership and accountability to what that position ultimately feels for me from a support structure, but also coaching Josh McCown in the quarterback room, Wes Phillips Hays our offensive coordinator.
Speaker 8: We've got a pretty good setup.
Speaker 9: Around these guys that we feel like if we just invest in the daily, we're going to get positive results and these guys are going to be kind of building themselves up to the opportunity to go have success playing in NFL games.
Speaker 2: When do you make your decision of the team makes its decision on Sam Donald.
Speaker 8: Yeah, it's you know, it's an ongoing process right now. Dan.
Speaker 9: We we're very proud of what Sam was able to accomplish.
Speaker 8: I mean, it's hard to win.
Speaker 2: Are you planning on him being there next season?
Speaker 8: Yeah, that's people to let me finish. I'm sorry, I just know, I'm just kidding.
Speaker 9: But the idea is this, We're you know, we're we're evaluating, you know, how we're going to move forward and put the best possible team together in twenty twenty five and beyond.
Speaker 8: We know, we're excited about JJ McCarthy.
Speaker 9: He confirmed a lot of the things in a very short amount of time that we had hoped to see from him before unfortunately getting hurt. And then Sam, you know, took advantage of his opportunity and has really put himself as probably the premier player at the position going into free agency, and Sam's going to have some opportunities. We're working through what that looks like for us, while also having some other real impactful players set to be free agents as well, so.
Speaker 8: I think a lot goes into it. We haven't made that decision yet.
Speaker 9: I talked to really all three, you know, both JJ's here every day, but I talked to Sam yesterday for a long time, talk to Daniel Jones for a long time. I just want those guys to know that there's an element in this where our relationship matters. The communication between me and those guys has to be paramount, and the agents in our front office. Those conversations will go on, but what we try to build here is something that I hope is always beyond that. Above that, especially me personally with the players.
Speaker 2: If we did a combine for the head coaches in the NFC North, who would grade out better?
Speaker 8: Are we talking all events here?
Speaker 2: Yeah? One morning bench press, cone, drill, you three cone and drill.
Speaker 8: Well, I think we all know who's winning the bench press.
Speaker 2: Okay, so we take that off the table with Dan Campbell.
Speaker 9: Yeah, And you know I would I would probably argue Dan that, uh you know, I would be pretty competitive in uh, you know, the straight line stuff running wise, you know, I think I would put my I would put Matt Lafleur in that McVeigh category. These guys are more of those change of direction, short area quickness, those types of things.
Speaker 8: So maybe maybe he gets gets me there.
Speaker 2: But I don't know about Ben Johnson. Is he sneaky athletic. I don't know much about.
Speaker 8: You know, one of the things I'm always doing dan pregame is I'm always watching who's throwing throwing the pill around the field, because that's probably the big ball.
Speaker 9: Biggest mistake I ever made was hiring Josh McCown because he can he can still throw it and probably could go play in a game right now. So I didn't really think that all through when you know, I started throwing some wobblers around a pregame.
Speaker 8: But I'm smart.
Speaker 9: Indoors Stadium a US Bank stadium, elite place to throw the football. We played in London and it was kind of spitting ring in a little bit. I didn't touch a football for that entire warm up. Very smart, you know some other it was Wendy and Wendy kind of spitting rain in Jacksonville. There was not a football near me for that entire time. So I'm I've learned to pick my spots in my moments to shine.
Speaker 2: I saw there was an award handed out and went to the best looking coach in the NFL. You finished that one, You finished second. I think I think Lafloor, I think Lafloor got you.
Speaker 8: I would argue though, like if we could have a little bit of a campaign for that, and and you know, I think I think he puts a little bit more time and effort into what I do.
Speaker 2: Okay, who puts who puts more time and effort into their looks? Sean McVay, Matt Lafloor, well other.
Speaker 9: It's different, right because I think I think Sean probably has like a four step process that finishes with that hair looking the way it does. You know, I respect Matt because he changes up his game sometimes sometimes it's a hat, sometimes it's not. But as far as as far as facial hair goes, you know, nobody keeps it cleaner than Matt.
Speaker 2: I think Matt Lafleur tweezes. I think there's some eyebrow work being done there.
Speaker 9: I thought I thought the guys were gonna hit the breaking news right there.
Speaker 8: You know, though, I thought I was gonna do something.
Speaker 2: I don't know what you can do in the off season to win this award.
Speaker 8: Yeah, my wife's got a few ideas. Something.
Speaker 2: You don't show the hair though, because I don't.
Speaker 8: Have that much of it left. I mean, this job's taking it.
Speaker 2: Out of it Laflora and McVeigh show it off. They you know, McVeigh has good moss though. I mean, you got to admit he's he's.
Speaker 9: One of my closest friends, you know, on on on the planet. And I told I got a chance to spend some time with them down in the Orleans and I told my sons that, hey, I saw coach Sean and they immediately started, you know, the hair, and he's been an inspiration to them. And they they always asked me, why why don't I make my hair look like that?
Speaker 8: And I just shake my head.
Speaker 2: But did Sean, like he had the Super Bowl ring? Do you need to wear the Super Bowl ring?
Speaker 8: You know what, when you win one as a head coach, I think you can wear just about any time you want.
Speaker 9: I know when when Coach Belichick, which was how wild was that that the guy that drafted me in the NFL hands me the award? But you know, as he as they handed it to me and we were walking off the stage, you know it was you know, I bumped into him and it just clanked against about four or five of those rings. So I wanted to make sure it wasn't scuffed up or anything.
Speaker 8: I mean it was. It was spectacular.
Speaker 2: Enjoy the off season, big decisions coming up and congratulations again.
Speaker 8: Yeah, I appreciate you guys having me on. Always enjoy it man.
Speaker 2: That's Kevin O'Connell's second best looking coach of the NFL.
Speaker 1: Be sure to catch the live edition of The Dan Patrick Show weekdays at nine am Eastern six am Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 2: Heidi Gardner. She's a Saturday Night Live cast member and a die hard Chiefs fan. The SNL fiftieth Anniversary special Sunday at eight Eastern on NBC and Peacock. Heidi is also in the Apple TV comedy Shrinking plays the character Grace. Harrison Ford and Jason Siegel are in that Heidi joins us now. When I told Fritzy to reach out and have you join us, this was before the Super Bowl, and I know you're a big Chiefs fan and we thought you were going to be in a great mood. So what kind of mood are you in?
Speaker 7: Okay, I am in a mood where I am very fortunate and blessed. We won two years in our row. We've won three times in the last six years. Very Lucky. Sunday was really hard. I love the Chiefs. The only thing I'm upset about are some of these false narratives after the fact that you know, like Mahomes's legacy is questioned like that is crazy to me. The fact that some people are saying that the Chiefs had already copyrighted three pete and that was like the motivation for the Eagles. Like I love bulletin board material, we use it. But I can assure you all season there was no chief or coach read it was saying anything about three pete. I feel like they were trying to ignore that noise. Of course, it's in your head. And I just want to say, at the beginning of the season, a lot of people were talking smack on the Eagles and that they had lost it. They were talking this last year. They were talking it on Jalen Hurts, and now it's just like they were always the inevitable team. I'm just a little frustrated and I needed to get all that out.
Speaker 2: Did you cry Sunday.
Speaker 7: No, I didn't cry. I think my job as a Chiefs fan is just to give them love and hope, and I just continued to try and love and hope us into a win and it didn't happen, and I love them all the same.
Speaker 2: When did you begin your love affair with the Kansas City Chiefs growing up in Kansas City?
Speaker 7: Yeah, so I was born there, so it was faded. But my mom has just always been a sports fan, and it was probably like around five and a half or six years old. I just accepted that on Sundays we were going to be watching football like that, and I needed to embrace that because I loved my mom and that was the thing that I needed to learn how to love to.
Speaker 2: Okay, but this fandom, though, now it's with you the rest of your life.
Speaker 7: Oh yeah, and I still consider it a blessing, even though it takes over my persona and my anxiety quite a bit, but I love it.
Speaker 2: Did you talk to Taylor Swift when she was on Saturday Night Life? Well, so I.
Speaker 7: Had talked to her pre her becoming a Chiefs fan, so I haven't gotten to connect with her since, but I would love to talk Chiefs with her.
Speaker 2: Feels like it's inevitable her and Travis are going to get engaged. I mean, I love love. I'm rooting for love is what I'm rooting for me too.
Speaker 7: I'm rooting for Love. I was scared in the beginning because like as a fan first, like I love both those people, but I was like, is this going to be a distraction? But it's been all good and I love Love and I love that like she's brought even more eyes on our team.
Speaker 2: Are you a competitor the way an athlete is with whatever roles you have on SNL or when you're you know, doing other shows, for sure?
Speaker 7: I Mean I always say that I played sports growing up, and the only one of the only reasons I wish I would have continued on is because I wish I had like the total discipline of an athlete. But I will say recently work, there's a few times when I've gotten thrown things where I have to go perform with no rehearsal, and that is scary. I mean, it's live anyways, but if I haven't had a rehearsal and they're just like you're in this now or you're doing this now, and I'm like, you know, I want to come back and be like, we didn't even do a rewriter, we didn't do this, And I just think to myself, what would mahomes do he would play.
Speaker 8: So that's what I do.
Speaker 2: Heidi Gardner's Saturday Night Live cast member. So it's actors, comedian, writer, die Hard chiefs fent is that the order.
Speaker 7: Yes, I mean you can always move Diehard Chiest to the top. That is like the thing that has stayed consistent. That's probably my number.
Speaker 2: One fiftieth anniversary special Sunday, February sixteenth at eight Eastern. That'll be NBC and Peacock. Also, you play Grace in the Apple TV Shrinking then you push your boyfriend off a cliff.
Speaker 8: I did.
Speaker 2: Yeah, how was that?
Speaker 7: It felt good? He was a jerk coming, Yes, he had it coming.
Speaker 2: What was the first sketch you did where you go uh oh uh oh in a good way or oh in a bad way?
Speaker 7: Oh in a good way? Was I did a weekend update and the character was every boxer's girlfriend from every movie about boxing ever, And that one just connected with the audience, and I think people were like, oh, yeah, that's a trope. I see the girlfriend in a boxing movie or the wife always has the exact same script. Yeah, and that and I just I got a lot of feedback, And that's the first time I started like people would recognize me and they would say like a catchphrase, and they go.
Speaker 2: I'm going to my sisters. Yes, yeah, is that like you walked in the streets of New York. What do you get?
Speaker 7: I get that. You know. What's cool is I think because SNL is such an institution here and it's been around for so long, it feels like a sports team. So people New Yorkers actually, instead of like necessarily calling out a sketch or anything, they just are like, go, Heidi, go like I'm me Yankee or something like cool, I'm on the team.
Speaker 2: What was your dress? What your audition?
Speaker 7: Like, Oh my gosh, well it was on I just feel like I have to relate everything to sports. You're not pushing me into that.
Speaker 2: But it was on.
Speaker 7: August twenty third, So I put a picture of Lebron and Michael Jordan on my phone to just be like twenty three greatness, So I remember that from it. And then it was five minutes and I think I did about twelve characters because I wanted to be undeniable. I wanted to give them everything I had. But it was also my first time ever seen that SNL stage in person, so it was also just like I stepped on it and I wanted to be like, can I take a selfie? And they were like, and your audition is five four three, And then suddenly it was happening. So I kind of blacked out. And then a week later they called me. They said we wanted to come back. I blacked out, but I did the audition. They said, we wanted to come back and do the audition another audition, but this time it has to be totally new one. We want to see if she can, oh well, ceial in a week. And I was like, I gave you like my stars, and so my second audition was like me rifling through old sketches and characters. And I always say like my second audition was like me playing my bench and then I won the game.
Speaker 8: Who's Cool?
Speaker 2: Sandler and Will Ferrell, you know, they talk about how it gets kind of cold in there, you know, in a variety of ways where you know there's no ambiance really like Lauren can be out there and you don't even know if he's there's no reaction or any like, how do you know when you're doing well in your audition?
Speaker 8: Uh?
Speaker 7: I actually think it's the type of person you are possibly. I mean I did hear laughs. I don't know if I heard Lauren's laugh, but like it's warm enough where I mean, anybody who's auditioning this funny and I think you're gonna hear some laughs, but you don't know, you know, if it's enough laughs to get the job. I remember leaving the audition and having the anxiety start to set in, and there were a couple guys outside who had also just auditioned, and they approached me and they were like, so, did you kill it? And I was like, I don't. I I don't know, did you And they were like.
Speaker 8: Yeah, I think so.
Speaker 7: So I was like, Okay, I think it's just who you are. It's like you might have that inner confidence.
Speaker 2: Okay, give me your ideal hope. I'm going to let you create your own show from the standpoint of your guest host is going to be and your musical guest will be who you can pick anybody ooh.
Speaker 7: Okay my guest host. I mean I do want I got Travis Kelcey, I want Mahomes, I want my homes or I want Lebron two debatable goats, but you know those are ones that I really want and then music wise, I mean I really liked the Kendrick halftime show. I'd love to see him do whatever he wants on SNL as well.
Speaker 2: Okay, who do you think had a worse night, Mahomes or Drake?
Speaker 7: Drake.
Speaker 2: I think that that's pretty bad. That's pretty bad when the entire crowd is singing a song that's about you, and he went as far away as possible he went to Australia.
Speaker 7: Yes, yes, yeah, but again Mahomes really you know his tweet after he likes to win, so I mean he I feel his pain too.
Speaker 2: Keep your head up though, honey. I hope something's good or coming your way, thank you? Yeah. I mean, you know, the Chiefs losing, so I hope something you know good happens here, thank you. Yeah.
Speaker 7: Life works that way. Then you know, maybe a big movie or TV show it's coming my life?
Speaker 8: Do you think?
Speaker 2: Do you have a big movie come in your way?
Speaker 9: No?
Speaker 7: But I'm looking for one or just some sort of series that I get to create. I would love anything like that.
Speaker 2: Would you like for me to talk to Sandler?
Speaker 8: Yes?
Speaker 2: Okay, well we missed you and happy Gilmore too, But I don't know what he's going to have but you know what we get done with this. I think I'll do that. I'll just say, hey, I know this person down in the dumps chiefs lost needs to pick me up.
Speaker 7: How about the water boy, water Boy to water Daryl Water GARYL We got it.
Speaker 2: Yes, have fun. Thank you again, Heidi, Thank you. Heidi Gardner. Saturday Live cast member and Diehard Chief spent fiftieth anniversary this Sunday on NBC and Peacock that's at eight Eastern, And of course you can see her on the Apple TV show Shrinking with Harrison Ford and Jason Siegel