Speaker 1: Welcome everyone to another edition of the KSR Pre Show. I'm Billy Rutlidge and today Thursday, April tenth, We've got a very special guest in studio. We'll get to that in just a second. Eight five nine two eight h two two eight seven is the Clark's Pumping Shop phone line. You can always text us at five h two two six five six sixty five six And as always, the KSR Pre Show is brought to you by ital X Fine Italian Dining right here in Lexington on Main Street in the city Center. Big thank you to Maggie Davis, Jacob Policheck Tom Crean for joining the KSR pre Show this week. It's a week of special guests with Shannon the Dude down at the beach with our Powell Ryan LeMond. Today's gonna be a little bit of a different show. We're not going to talk about UK basketball recruiting. We may not get into the nitty gritty of sports today because I have a very good friend in studio today. He is a former police detective, he is a helicopter flight instructor and he is a radio host. On ninety eight won the Bowl. It is Officer Don in studio, live and in color. Good morning, officer Dog.
Speaker 2: Good mor man.
Speaker 3: This is big time you got, you got producers and stuff. I'm not used to this.
Speaker 2: You know. They just put me in a studio and say answer your phones. Do this. Shut up? You know you only got two minutes to talk.
Speaker 1: No, That's what I told you before the show started. It's going to be a little different.
Speaker 3: For it, is man. Well, I mean I don't even records to play. I mean I can't lean on that you know I got?
Speaker 2: Is me?
Speaker 1: Well, I have to apologize to start the show for a couple of things. One is the gambling picks I've given you over.
Speaker 3: The last two let me tell you something. I am not a gambler. So I'm trying to big time somebody, right because and I'll be honest, I don't know any about sports either, right, so so I'm like, you know, you know, yeah, yeah, yeah, I've got a line. I can find out exactly who's going to win this game. Who did you have you bet on?
Speaker 1: I had you bet on Louisville? Oh yeah, Carvel Switch.
Speaker 2: Which is a conscience issue.
Speaker 3: It's like I never thought if I was going to be giving him on a tip that I would say, yeah, bet Louisville. I mean, I'm like, but I'm like, okay, there was another team to what was the other one?
Speaker 1: I don't know. I have to look two.
Speaker 2: So I lay this down.
Speaker 3: I'm like, one hundred percent sure it's going to happen because I've got the line, and.
Speaker 1: Boom, oh I went. You see San Diego, Michigan one of those neither of them hit and you call me from the DraftKings sports book in Nashville, I think it was, And You're like, you bleeping bleep.
Speaker 2: Something like that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but it's okay, you know what. I was trying to big time so big. I told him the tip came from Matt Jones. I'm in the clear. Yeah, I didn't throw it off. I want to make it look like I knew Matt Jones. That's a great movie. Yes, so but anyway, the other thing I need.
Speaker 1: To apologize for is your dip in ratings at nine am. Oh, you know, because the pre show has become the number one show I think at nine am in the city, and it's at your expense. So I do apologize for. You know, I think that is a fluke.
Speaker 2: You know what.
Speaker 3: I'm saying I think your girlfriend got a book or something.
Speaker 2: You know, that's.
Speaker 1: Probably what happened. It's all the cow drop. Everybody wanted to tune into that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we can't.
Speaker 3: We can say that word until Monday, I think, because then then we're actually in that situation.
Speaker 1: Well, you know, Donnie, you do a lot of different things, and I say Donnie as a term of endearment. I think a lot of people call you that.
Speaker 3: It is funny because normally the only people that call me Donnie old girlfriends from high school. So I don't know what's going on here. First time he popped off the Donnie, I'm like, hold on a second, man, I'm not like that.
Speaker 1: Well, we don't. We don't have that type of relationship. But you know, Officer don and I had some great times back in the day.
Speaker 2: Well, I used to argue a lot.
Speaker 1: We did during twenty twenty. We were the only two people in the building and we still are for the most point. But we would have drag out, knock him down, you know, political arguments in the studio.
Speaker 2: They would.
Speaker 3: But you know, it's sort of like you know, hanging with this only hiding my daughter, you know, occasionally just stays he says stuff to make me mad. Right, it's a generational thing. And I try to like, I'm not even gonna engage, but you're hard not to engage. You're hard not to engage.
Speaker 2: Well as you keep pushing and he pushing, he pushed.
Speaker 3: Sometimes I don't even think that you even agree with yourself. You're just trying to figure out what's gonna piss me off.
Speaker 1: Well, yes, and people that listen to this show probably pick some of that up too.
Speaker 3: And when I fall into like, let's what what the guy does for a living, he's controversial.
Speaker 1: Well, Donna's it's safe to say you're quite the big deal in this city. I mean, if you're not in the helicopter giving traffic reports or a police detective back in the day, you are on our biggest station in a state that loves country music. And how long have you been doing this?
Speaker 3: Now? You know, I've been doing Like the Bull for sixteen years, along time with Dianne, Yeah, crazy Danna the sixteen years. Yeah, and before that though I started radio like thirteen. I was a kid because I was raised on a farm and I'm very lazy and I'm scared of farm animals.
Speaker 2: This is true.
Speaker 3: So my dad's like, you gotta do something, boy, you know, and the radio station. I had a nice air conditioned studio. I didn't want to strip tobacco. So I walked in and said, hey, man, if you let me do this for six months, take out the trash, you know whatever. I think I can do this because I can read. And he put me on the air like thirteen, So I got.
Speaker 1: Into So what year is this? Is this like nineteen sixty's eighty three?
Speaker 4: Man?
Speaker 1: Okay, eighty thirty.
Speaker 3: Which is like the worst decade to get into the music playing music.
Speaker 1: Reel and reel and stuff like that.
Speaker 3: Records, Yeah, I remember, I remember, like Prince when Dove's Cry came out, I'm like, this is awful. I'm never gonna play this. I got that wrong. So I'm not a good music director.
Speaker 1: So it's changed a lot since Speck when the thirteen year old officer Don was in the radio.
Speaker 2: B Oh, yeah, it's it's not nearly as fun as see it's not.
Speaker 1: I've heard the same thing.
Speaker 3: But don't everybody say that though about their business. It's just not what it used to be, the good old days, you know, No matter what you asked, yes, cops the same thing, you know, Yeah, this jockey's the same thing. Everybody's like, you know, like you were saying, you know, you can't you can't drink a beer in the studio anymore.
Speaker 2: They don't want you to do that.
Speaker 1: Well, kind of like my dad hating my music. It's it's a generational thing, right, and it's always better back.
Speaker 3: In the time, I think so, But was it really I don't know. I think I was making like two ten an hour back then, so maybe it wasn't so good.
Speaker 1: A lots changed in that department for you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm three ten.
Speaker 1: Yeah it's similar to me. But you know, some one of the coolest moments I've had on the air, it was not cool for Shannon the dude. I think he hated every second of it. Was the helicopter drops that I've done over the years. I don't know how the started, but I came to Officer Don one day and said, can I do a show up in a helicopter with you? And can I throw pigs from the sky? It was Ham coupons. It was one of my greatest bits. But it was a spoof of the what if turkeys could fly? In Ohio? The radio station there. I really enjoyed doing that with you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was fun, but I mean you learned pigs can't fly.
Speaker 1: Right, I mean donuts. But we did and it did freaks.
Speaker 3: We should have told the people at the parks department we were doing, because remember didn't they They're like, what.
Speaker 2: Are you doing?
Speaker 1: It wasn't the park department, it was our it was Iheart's legal liability. They came to me afterwards, like, you threw pigs out.
Speaker 2: Oh no, we threw hams. Hams. You threw hams out of the sky and somebody get the rock put out?
Speaker 1: And who did you ask that was okay to do? And I was like, well, I've he asked for forgiveness, not permission, and they didn't like that one.
Speaker 2: Now I'm executive producer. I asked the producer and he said it was okay.
Speaker 3: I asked you and you were like, yeah, I threw all No, I Billy told me that. Bob Bittman said we could do it. That's what I said, Did you throw me that after? I've went for the big guy?
Speaker 1: Well, so that was a lot of fun. You said you started your radio journey at thirteen, but then you became a police detective. What made the what was the career change? Why did you do that?
Speaker 3: Well, I just want to do fun stuff. There's a pattern here, you know. I mean I never wanted to work for a living. I told you that I was scared of peacocks on the farm. I had a bad experience of that. So I'm like, and the DJ thing was fun at peacocks, But I wanted a government job. I wanted insurance benefits, you know, because you know, just in radio they're like everything's trade, you know here, Yeah, I'll give you a fifty dollars gift certificate to Pigley wig Lead to pay for your food. Well, we'll make it a deal with Spectrum for your for a cable and we're going to pay a two ten an hour. I'm like, I probably need a good, steady government job. Actually, I just wanted to be a cop. It was it was what I want. I've wanted to do since I was like a kid. It's always been my thing. So no matter what, I was going to be a cop at twenty one. So I did radio until I could get into the into the police academy deal, and then I came to Lection to.
Speaker 1: Do that, and then you found yourself back in radio. Actually, you know, I never left because it is fun. So, like, for six months during the academy, we were banned from doing secondary jobs. So I had to sneak to Louisville and change my name to Chased Annuals and do it really. Yeah, I did that for a while because I didn't want to, you know, I didn't want them to know, because they's like, no, look, you got to focus on this.
Speaker 3: You can have a second job wating a police acaint. They're very anal, you know, in the police.
Speaker 2: Kid.
Speaker 3: Sure, so I did that. So I've really been doing it since I was thirteen. I'm fifty eight now, so it's been a long time. Well we've not very.
Speaker 1: Good at it, but well that's up to interpretation. Yeah, it depends on who's listening. You know, we talked about your radio job changing a lot over the years. The police officer position has changed a lot over the years. It almost feels like an impossible job nowadays.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it has changed. You know, it's and look, they're getting too deep. I mean, you police according to what the community wants. I mean, that's the reality of it. The first thing you learned in police school Look, you do what your community wants you to do because you're serving them. That's truth, right, And when we know the community's needs have changed and how they perceive things, so that has changed.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 3: I think a lot of cops will tell you maybe it's not as fun as it used to be in some ways, but they have a you know, but in this town, they love their job. You know that we've got good support and election is different. That's one of the reasons we don't have rampant crime in a city like we do. A lot of police get a lot of support.
Speaker 2: In this town.
Speaker 3: So you know, I don't everybody wants to complain a little bit here and there, but for the most part, our cops are good. I think the community's got a good perception of it. It's not too bad.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 1: I get a little scared when my fiance watches shows like How to Get Away with Murder and Law and Order SUV. It's like, this is her escape. It's just like notes, well not notes, but it's all in her brain now, she's she's worked out every scenario. Sure, sure, so I think it is a little concerning, but you know, I was fascinated to learn more about you over the last couple of years, and you were lead detective on a lot of different cases, including one that included the death of a Kentucky football player. I mean, you've done a lot when it comes to this city. And you say you're not a sports fan, but you've been ingrained in the culture of the University of Kentucky for a while now.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well, I see not a sports fan. I'm just I'm just not a sports nerd. I mean, my deal is, I'm a fair weather fan. I always want the Cats to win. Yeah, but only I really get into it at tournament time. A lot of people are like that, all right, because it's the time thing. But come tournament time, yeah I want to see a win, which has not been that fun the past few years. But yeah, so so I want to correct that. But yeah, you know, I did get involved in the homicide side of things and was doing that for I guess I did that for about ten or twelve years here in Lexington, and you know, so it's that's a different different view on the world, and it's and it's and it's it's funny because I remember when I got on the police department, they always try to they try to put you where you're going to be based on your personality or whatever. At one point they'd ask, what are the two things you don't think you're going to like most about being a cop? And I said, paperwork and I'm scared of dead bodies. You know, it's true, I don't want to be around that stuff. And I wind up on homicide, which is all paperwork, and then you certainly have to deal with the other aspect of that too. So sometimes you just sort of, you know, wind up where they want to put you.
Speaker 2: That's how I got there.
Speaker 1: When I first started at iHeart, there was maybe like a two month period where I did news for eight forty his I actually read the news, and after that two months hurt. I was so rained out. I was so done with your newss in negativeivity? How did you deal with that for ten to twelve years of homicides and constant negativity?
Speaker 3: Well, every day, listen, just you try to turn it off when you're not working, but it's hard, especially when you're doing something like homicide cases, because those don't go away. You know, when you're on patrol, when you get done with your shift, you get to be done with it. So that's an advantage. But when you're working at those kind of cases and you have the victims that are looking to you to find out who hurt their loved one, that that's a lot of pressure. It really is. And but you just have to look at where you can do the most good. It's like nurses or doctors or anyone that's in that kind of business that's depressing. You just try to go for the winds and focus on them, you know, otherwise you'll go crazy.
Speaker 1: So I did I think we're doing the news?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know, I had trouble. I used to do the news too, but I sort of got fired from that because I remember I was reading once about the weather in des Moines, Iowa.
Speaker 2: I called it Desmonez. I did. Course.
Speaker 3: I was only fourteen. He's like, that's not Desmond, as you know. So the big words, how did you deal with the big words when you read it? Well, the big words change them. It wasn't that the words weren't the issues. It was the counties.
Speaker 1: So like I just pronounced so many Kentucky counties yes, And you know, I got so many phone calls. The news department was like, that's not how you say.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, Louisville versus Louisville for a lot of Peoplecause I remember when I was working Louislle, it was eighty four w h s Louisville because I was like Louisville, like no Louisville, Louisville side. It's like the doub You know, we used to say w and I remember the mister Wooley saying it's double you doub h I c.
Speaker 1: The worst one I did was I called Versales Versailles. Oh yeah, that happens all and you would have thought I came into the town and insulted every single one of them. But you know what I understand. People are passionate about where they're from.
Speaker 2: Is it for sales versus which is it's Versailles.
Speaker 1: But they've turned it into.
Speaker 2: Verse in Louisville.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's Louisville for King Louis. But the locals they're a little late to call it Louisville.
Speaker 3: Well o, their size is to French. I mean we forgot we did like the French at one.
Speaker 1: Time, right when they war.
Speaker 3: Something went wrong somewhere right now French is not not as cool to the country.
Speaker 1: Well, you don't tell the weather on the air very often anymore. But you do give traffic reports every day. I know this because I have to fill in for you all the time. You're like Shannon the dude with your vacation day.
Speaker 2: Are you beating on your chest like you're in the helicopter?
Speaker 1: Like that's no, no, But I want to ask you how like percentage amount of times you're in the helicopter when you're giving those reports. I don't want to expose you here.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's a top secret. It's not as much anymore, you know, because we have used to every morning.
Speaker 2: I flew. That's how I got into this.
Speaker 3: I flew every morning because I was a commercial pilot before I even became a cop. Because between graduating from high school and turning twenty one, they're like, you got to do something with your life, and I'm.
Speaker 2: Like, I don't want to go to college. That's just just it just makes me with their life, which makes me itch.
Speaker 3: So it took all my college money and got all my pilot ratings before I became a cop, sort of pickled it. Did a little bit of commercial work, but then became a police officer. So it just came back around when I started flying around and doing the traffic reports. So when I first started, I flew actually for a competition. Then it was be okay, you know that was the company that did the traffic. Yeah, so I flew around to traffic for them four hours a day, and then I flew for hours in the afternoon and then came over here and did the same thing. So it was one hundred percent of the time. Now I just fly as needed kind of thing. Got so many cameras and stuff, and I got my traffic snitches on the on the right way, autographed autoglass, traffics flying, thank you, right my autoglass by the way, it's for two two eight seven.
Speaker 2: So I've got help.
Speaker 3: But if something major is going on or I want a big time in case, y'all get in the helicopter.
Speaker 1: So you've asked the worst person in the company to be the backup traffic reporter because I can't get anywhere without my GP. You know, I like to you know, I like to hold my head up high and say I'm the youngest of money you can be and I'm not like these zoomers and TikTokers, But I mean, Donnie, I can't get anywhere without my phone.
Speaker 2: I mean I can't.
Speaker 1: I mean I if it.
Speaker 2: Told me to drive off a bridge, I probably will.
Speaker 1: I mean, like Dwhite in the office, I might drive into the lake if it told me to. Yes, I mean I remember printing off map quests back in the day.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you're old, You're I'm old enough for that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but don't ask me to take out a map or ask for directions on the side of the road. I'll just forget. So you know, you're asking the wrong person to fill in with.
Speaker 3: Well, try being a cop, because that was the biggest stresser about becoming a cop in nineteen ninety and being from Breckenridge County, Kentucky, you know, with we had no red lights, right sure, and so the biggest thing was we had this big book that this cross directory thing.
Speaker 2: Think about it.
Speaker 3: You get a call to back up your fellow officer and it's someplace that you've never heard of in the city. You got to know where it's, you got to find it, and you've got pressure to find it quick, especially if it's something like that. That was honestly the most stress of the police academy being not from here and having to learn the streets because they would nail you.
Speaker 2: They'd be like, find this street.
Speaker 3: Now your partner's down, get your ass there, and you're getting out your book and trying to figure out how to get there and how.
Speaker 2: So that was.
Speaker 3: But now I see all of them, you know, they're all using their phones. So they got it made there we all do. Yeah, and you go, you go.
Speaker 2: Back to that. I don't know how in the world I drove to Florida. Well, Florida said, it's pretty easy, just southbound.
Speaker 3: But I don't know how in the world you got anywhere before before we had our GPS, and it's it's it's changed things significant, it's changed. We did it, but I don't remember how.
Speaker 1: Now you've got a whole laptop in your police vehicle, it looks like it looks like it's all set up.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they they they do have those distracting laptops and in their vehicle.
Speaker 1: But he is DC. He is a retired police officer, so he is still a little out of uh yeah, practice.
Speaker 2: I still fly for him. I fly the police helicopter.
Speaker 3: I trained, uh the police officers that that are going to come on board to fly, So I still I still get to be part of it in that way not not the homicide stuff so much anymore. So, Uh, now I get to get to do just the fun part.
Speaker 1: We're gonna keep diving into Officer Don's story. I've got some random topics like we always do on the ks OUR pre Show. I'd love to get his opinions on as well, and if you'd like to join the show eight five nine two eight oh two two eight seven text us at five oh two two six five six six five six. It is a Thursday edition of the KSR pre Show with Officer Don from ninety eight one, The Bull, and we will be right back. Welcome back. It is the KSR pre Show Billy Rutledge and Officer Don from ninety eight one. The Bull is joining us reminiscing a little bit because Lex TV and Radio just tweeted out a video of Officer Don doing some traffic reports. There's a stormtrooper in this video as well. Yeah you remember this.
Speaker 2: I do remember that.
Speaker 3: That was it to LA X eighteen, all right, and uh that's when Lee Cruise was on there and we were I was doing traffic. We'd always mess around. I can't remember where the stormtrooper came from. That wasn't me in the Stormtrooper out there.
Speaker 1: So you weren't in the Stormtrooper doing no but I was doing.
Speaker 3: Traffic the Stormtroopers there, maybe on Lee's show or something. And then we just had him stand in and I just voiced it over like I was standing there with that does in fact Terry Minor sent that to me not too really, Yeah, that's that pops up on occasion one of my shining moments, and it was actually I had my stunt double Stormtrooper.
Speaker 2: What even me, I felt like a star. That's what they do, right, have stunt stunt doubles.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Terry, there's another radio legend. We were talking about beaver bits, stuff that could not air on Today's.
Speaker 3: And even what he put what you played me online was not what he used to play on the air, you know, because I was telling you how great that stuff was and then he says this is it. I'm like, ah, that's a little vanilla. So Terry had a show called The Show with No Name with Ron Clay, which was one of the original shock jocks. That's back when Louisville was introduced to the shock jocks. A Q and F and a funny thing. Our bus driver got in trouble because mister Dean Bus fifty had this stereo system on the bus and he would let us listen to the show of the name, and you got kids on.
Speaker 2: There and they're like, west are beaver bits today? And you know what is okay?
Speaker 3: So so he got actually in trouble because he was he was playing, so he wound up having to play like the instrumental or gospel station to make up for it.
Speaker 2: We were all like what what.
Speaker 3: Eventually we got back to rock, but we couldn't. We couldn't play the show with No Name anymore. It's too dirty.
Speaker 1: It's amazing how much radio's changed. And Terry miners still doing his thing on eight forty wha.
Speaker 3: And he's not dirty anymore, not as dirty. Where's a tie? You know, he's got that going now. He's sort of more like you know because Terry wants told me, and this is funny, he said, you know, you can talk about you know, those risky things, but you want to talk about him in a way that the soccer mom in the van knows exactly what you're talking about, but our kids don't. He said, if you do that, he says, if you do that, you can still have a little personality, have a little edge to you, and still be clean enough where you know the people that aren't looking for that will listen, because you know everybody's got you dirty thoughts. You just want to make sure that you read the room when you're throwing it.
Speaker 1: So there's a little bit of an art to it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and Terry taught me that. He said, just be careful. Just make sure that the kids aren't asking mom what did he mean by that? You know, and let's let mom chuckle a little bit. So that's Terry.
Speaker 1: How's your relationship with Dan? Do you guys get into risky topics?
Speaker 4: Oh?
Speaker 3: Is it?
Speaker 1: Or is it just here's the next country?
Speaker 3: So no, you know, my big thing with Dan Stevens, The reason I can handle Dan Stevens is because of my experience in a homicide, you know, because I used to set across the table and then interrogate you know, Sarah killers and people like that. So it helped me understand Ian's mind, you know, if it wasn't that experience is what made our partnership so good.
Speaker 1: That's funny.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 3: They used to have a little it was a little promo when we first started. It was the big voice guy would come on and go. One carries a gun and the other carries a can of hair spray, and you're there to go and Dean to go, deonn give me back my gun. I to find it was funny, but it's it's a cool relationship. You know, it's all very real with us. But people used to think we were married. Really, Oh yeah, I would get that all the time. I would I would sit in is it Red Robin or something, Nicholas. I'm hearing the person behind me talk about how we are married, and they think we're gonna split up because they heard something on the radio like we're a fighting I'm like married. So for the longest time, we're like, well, okay, whatever that mean.
Speaker 2: It happen.
Speaker 1: Sometimes you can't have a female co host.
Speaker 3: I'm like, so I say, look, I wanted to say, listen, it's like a marriage without any of the loving. That's basically what my relationship with Dan Stevens is. You know, That's that's what we got going.
Speaker 1: A loveless marriage. I'm in with Shannon dude right now.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this is the same.
Speaker 3: There's there's just none of that, but there's all of the bull that goes along with it. But it's it's a cool deal. But we really we just we get whoping up the mic and talk and uh, you know, that's all we do.
Speaker 1: We got about a minute till we need to take a hard break.
Speaker 2: Here.
Speaker 1: We had somebody ask a question on the text line, what high school did Officer Don go to?
Speaker 3: I went to Breckenridge County High School, home of the Tigers class of nineteen eighty five.
Speaker 2: Who Butch Beard? I don't know if you.
Speaker 3: Do, you know, I know Butch. I've met Butcher Witch Beard went was was our the big star from Breckenridge County. He's from Breckenridge County.
Speaker 1: He would always come in and do the Jerry Eve Show with Jerry when I worked in Louisville back in the day. So I've got to brush shoulders with a guy like Butcher Beard. Uh. You know, I didn't know who some of the famous celebrities were when I first started. But that's okay, right, I mean you kind of pick it up, like, who's that guy? Oh, it's dan Issel.
Speaker 4: Oh.
Speaker 3: I did that with d Wayne Lucas one year. I was supposed to grab Derby interviews and uh, the guy told me go interview. That guy can see that guyt to interview and I'm walk up, said, uh, mister Lucas, could you could you be on the ready with mister Mats And he said us, And.
Speaker 2: What do you do? Oh no, and he goes, I don't need to talk to.
Speaker 1: You, son, turn around. All right, Well, we're gonna keep it rolling here eight five nine, two eighth two two eight seven. If you'd like to call into the show, Officer Don the radio host on ninety eight one. The Bull joining us for this Thursday edition of the KSR Pre Show. Shannon the Dude will return next week, but we're having a little fun while he's gone. We'll talk about some random sports topics and much more coming up here on the KSR pre Show. We'll be right there. Welcome back, Billy An Officer Don here on the KSR pre Show. Officer Don the radio host on ninety eight one The Bowl also a helicopter flight instructor. But I got the invite to go on as boat this summer during the break, so you.
Speaker 2: Do have the that's a big deal too, to have you on the incognito.
Speaker 3: That's that's a big deal, all right. It's not something i'd just I just take light.
Speaker 1: Well, thank you, well, thank you. I know you throw some big parties on that boat, and I can't wait to be a part of it. They say, you shouldn't buy a boat, you should just have a friend that owns a boat.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, exactly, that's exact, because you know, the day you buy one is your happiest day in the biggest state.
Speaker 2: Sell it's your happiest day, they say, And they do suck the money.
Speaker 3: I mean, look I got I did helicopters and airplanes, you know, in which I could never afford if other people wouldn't training in them.
Speaker 2: But the boat is just amazes me when it thank this is crazy. It's like, are you kidding me?
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, it's never going to get worse, don't worry.
Speaker 2: But it's fun, you know.
Speaker 3: It's like it's like a lot of things. It's expensive because it's worth it. Some people said that about divorce. I hear, but I mean, I I wouldn't recommend it, but you know, it's just expensive, but it's.
Speaker 1: Worth One person says online officer Don came into my electronics store when I was working in college. I accidentally called him a lieutenant Daan several times by mistake.
Speaker 2: Yeah, what I did? I rough him up?
Speaker 3: Actually, that's you know what. Lieutenant is an upgrade because officers just an officer. I didn't mind that at all.
Speaker 1: You didn't come in a wheelchair with one leg.
Speaker 3: No, I did not, and he made me a lieutenant no leg, so I should have changed it to lieutenant. I'll be lieutenant from now, but lieutenant don not captain. So lieutenant five O two two six fives six five six. If you'd liked to join the show at all today or text in don, I've got some crazy topics and sports I want to talk to.
Speaker 2: Okay, I know nothing about it, so this is good.
Speaker 1: The first comes from earlier this week. Have you ever seen the movie Lady in the Tramp?
Speaker 2: I have? That's a cartoon, right it is.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's the first movie my mom ever took me to as a kid, and I still remember this.
Speaker 1: Wow, I'm gonna ring the bell for that. Yeah, first movie you ever got?
Speaker 2: Lady Too and the Tramp.
Speaker 1: Well, earlier this week, two Chicago Cubs fans had their own Lady in the Tramp moment, and they did not know each other. According to reports, two strangers shared a hot dog at Wrigley Field, lady in the tramp style. I'm pulling up the video for you now so you can see it. Okay, what do you think about these two strangers sharing a dog? They're right behind home plate. They both attacked the dog from opposite sides. Don fhair or foul? You're doing this with a stranger at a baseball game.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he's got a beard. I couldn't do that, you know what I mean.
Speaker 3: That's just just the Beard's the reason why hot he was gonna get in the beard And you're trying to eat this hot dog with this dude you're sitting next to.
Speaker 2: No, that's not gonna happen. I'm not gonna do that.
Speaker 1: What crazy world are we living in where you look over at a stranger.
Speaker 2: I don't Hey, would you like to share this dog?
Speaker 3: This was a dirty word, But during COVID, did we ever think that would happen again?
Speaker 1: You're right?
Speaker 3: What the founts you say about that? To this day, he'd be all over that. Oh I can't do that.
Speaker 1: Those two would be enemy number one and they did something like that.
Speaker 2: Nasty.
Speaker 1: But I don't know how that conversation even starts about the hot dog and the dog.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know, I'd say maybe he's got game. You know, he might have been like, hey, they'll get us something we can.
Speaker 3: Get on the jumbo tron if we do this. Okay, She's like, Okay, I'd just like to know where it went. That's the question, because that's pretty intimate, right. That's worse than sucking on each other's toes. I think, whoa, you know what I'm talking about. You're talking about eating a hot dog. Deal, that is pretty in I'm gonna go sucking toes. It's more interest than eating a hot dog together. Yeah, I mean, at least you're not staring each other in the eyes. But you're not having with the toes, but with the a little different. Okay, all right, let's stick it in the food. Let's stay in the food world.
Speaker 1: Last month, a Chinese restaurant had to shut down because after investigation, the roasted duck was actually cooked street pigeon. Who investigated this, I don't know, the food department. I guess Okay, they closed down obviously, but done. I mean, you go in to try to get a little duck and they're cooking street pigeon in the back.
Speaker 3: Do they both taste like chicken. I mean, how do you know, right, because.
Speaker 1: I mean if it tastes like chicken, they'll never know.
Speaker 3: And isn't pigeon just a just a fat dove. I used to eat dove, I mean I would, I would dove hunt. I still know I should do that same things head off.
Speaker 1: And I feel like I've been told that it's like the the rat of birds. The rat of birds, Yeah, like in New York City, like the pigeons are everywhere.
Speaker 3: I've wondered what a pigeon would taste like, honestly, because because they look like a dove, and duve meats good, and I could see where one would because it's both.
Speaker 2: Sort of dark. I'd see we get that confused with duck.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't know. I hope to never have that situation come up to me.
Speaker 3: Can you really when you're at the Chinese buffet, though? Can you really tell the difference between the chicken and the pork? I mean I can't. Probably a little bit of different with the beef maybe, And there's eleven year old's cooking in the back too, yeah, and eleven year olds scooping up the stuff and getting their slobber all over the stuff at the buffet.
Speaker 2: I don't know that it matters.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well the lase fare officer done it roast a duck street pigeon. Who cares? I hold me upsoning?
Speaker 3: Not me?
Speaker 1: I'll pass. Uber released its annual Lost and Found Index. Officer done the things that are left behind and ride shared cars afterwards. And some of the things left behind would shock you. Are you ready for this?
Speaker 2: Wet'll see if I'll shot. We have the homicide detective, so that's true.
Speaker 1: Maybe you're the one that would not be shocked by some of this. Some of the things include a mannequin head with human hair, a live turtle, or how about a five gallon bucket of beans? Huh? They call New York City the most forgetful city in the world depending on the amount of items left in Uber rides. But here are some more things that were left in ubers. Chainsaws, a ghostbuster's ghost.
Speaker 3: If you're an Uber driver, are you gonna pick up somebody that's got a chainsaw in their hand? Would you pick up a hiker if he's carrying a chainsaw?
Speaker 1: Put it in the trunk? I mean you don't really get in you know, why are you sitting next to me in the past.
Speaker 3: It reminds me of the old bud Light commercial, back when bud Light was cool and had really good commercials, and they had one where this guy and this girl are driving down the road. It's dark, it's night, and there's a dude standing on the side of the road and he's gotta he's got an axe and he's got a he's got an axe in one hand and a six pack of bud Light in the other. And the guy looks at the girl and says, hey, let's let's give this guy a ride, and she goes, he's got an axe. He goes and he's got a six pack of bud Light and she throws him in the back right. Well, then drive down the road again and there's a dude standing with a six pack of bud Light and.
Speaker 2: A chainsaw and.
Speaker 3: Same deal, and the guy says, hey, let's let's give this guy ride and and uh the uh he goes, he's got a six pack of bud Light and the guy with the axis, you've.
Speaker 2: Got a chainsaw too. Don't pick him up. I didn't make it sounds good, but it's funny.
Speaker 1: No, No, I'm picking that up commercials aren't the same either. Talk about that ten live lobsters, a viking drinking horn, a taxidermied rabbit, and a passenger's divorce papers all included on things left in an uber? How about twenty four cans of corn, a bucket of feta cheese, one hundred and seventy five hamburger sliders, one hundred and eight eggs. Talk about a lot of money one hundred and eight eggs you left in.
Speaker 2: The uber, that there's a lot of money these days.
Speaker 1: And a bouquet of one hundred red roses, and also a prescription of ozempic. All things left in an uber over their.
Speaker 2: Cup in hand. You can get a lot for that.
Speaker 1: They call Bowling Green. What is it? The ozempic capital of the country?
Speaker 2: Balling really Bowling Green?
Speaker 3: I did not know Bawling Green, Kentucky was ozempic capital of the country.
Speaker 1: A big story on that. I guess they all go to Nashville, or they don't want to go to Nashville.
Speaker 3: Gaybe it's cheap, you know, It could be that it's cheaper and Bawling Green. Some people are coming in from Nashville, which is what could make Because I hear the you can get botox and stuff cheaper some some places in eastern Kentucky. There are people that go to Eastern Seriously, I've heard that.
Speaker 2: Really. Yeah, there's like I'm going, I'm going.
Speaker 3: I don't know where it is, Louisa or Hazard whatever, because there's there's someplace there where they give a.
Speaker 2: Deal on it.
Speaker 1: Oh, as long as it's cheaper. As long as it's cheaper, I guess here's a sports topic for you. Officer John J. T Toppin has decided to stay at Texas Tech. He was the Big twelve player of the year, but in the transfer portal era none. It's not that simple. And it is estimated that he's being paid four million dollars in name, image and likeness to stay at Texas Tech next year. That is more than many of the rookie contracts guys will make in the NBA.
Speaker 3: How's that working out? I haven't kept up with that. So how is all this paying them working out? What's your opinion?
Speaker 2: Billy Up?
Speaker 1: We're in the wild West. We are in a time where there are no rules. Now this week there is supposed to be a settlement where there will be much more ironclad rules in place. When it comes to caps about how many how much money each person can make the college's district uting the money instead of random businesses. There's a lot of change coming to this space, but right now it is just absolutely insane. And when you see numbers that a kid is getting four million dollars to stay out of school one it just think about that. In the eighties, Officer don these kids that can't even get a chocolate bar.
Speaker 2: I mean, you couldn't give them anything.
Speaker 1: Givens I can barely eat, and he's winning national championships for the Cats. Now they get upwards of millions of dollars to stay at their schools. It is incredible.
Speaker 2: What about their grains they care anymore? Is that even an issue?
Speaker 1: I mean, I know that the biggest joke they had.
Speaker 3: You know, they always had tutors. I knew this was like people would I'm doing the homework for the UK basketball players or whatever you whatever that happened. We know this right sure, but so but now they didn't talk about grades, right.
Speaker 1: It's still a thing. I think, you know, there there's a sense of pride when the UK Athletic Department releases the dean's lists or whatever of these cumulative GPAs of the football and basketball teams. But let's be honest. I mean, these professional sports college sports are now professional sports now, and they can make money like this and with the freedom of movement. So you know, I almost envy you to a degree, not knowing the details of adult and likeness.
Speaker 2: Don't don't get me wrong.
Speaker 3: When I when I saw this going down, I'm like, this is this is going to get chaotic? You know, really, it doesn't make any sense, but you know, I guess it's just the thing it is.
Speaker 2: It is weird.
Speaker 3: It's sort of like pot in a lot of places. You know, there's a day you're locking everybody up for you know pot. Yeah, now it's like, no, everybody's you know, it's okay. I guess you know so, And it's a change some such a change for these guys too. I mean, what what what what do the NCAA police do now?
Speaker 1: Nothing that they can't do much of anything right now. It is. It will change though in the next week or two. I mean it will. I mean, have this conversation a month from now, don and it's very, very different. So we're going to see a lot of change. But I see a number like four million dollars, and I'm.
Speaker 3: This is a stupid question. Is it play any factor while the SEC was so strong? Is there more of that money available in our conference than others?
Speaker 2: Well? I looked at that.
Speaker 1: I think that's there's a couple factors there. One, I think it's the commitment to the sport by the administrations. Right, there's going to be coaches more money right in there. But also the there's a lot more parody when it comes to the bigger program schools. I think the mid majors are seeing their best talented players go to middle or bottom of the road SEC teams and that makes the conference as a whole a lot better. So, wow, what a year was for the SEC though, I mean, fourteen teams in the tournament, seven in the sweet sixteen, I think it was.
Speaker 3: And then I really did wonder that as part of it. I'm like, yeah, I wonder if it's if the way this is being distributed, these schools just have got the bucks, you know, to I don't know, that's just a question I had in my head why it was so strong.
Speaker 1: Well, what they're the next problem is is how these schools will distribute the money. So like we'll give thirty percent of our money to the football program, you know, thirty percent to the basketball program. Will do ten percent to women's basketball, maybe a ten to volleyball. There are going to be sports that are left out, right, and what does your university value more? And it's and it's gonna be interesting because there's some basketball powers that don't have a football team, right, and they can put more money into and resources into that program. But does that mean we leave out some of the Olympic sports, right? I mean they're not going to get a lot of the revenue sharing. I don't think so. A lot's going to change. Officer don just like your career going from radio host to police detective and to traffic cop.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you gotta roll with the changes. That is.
Speaker 3: That is like the best life advice you can give is you know, when you realize you can't control something if you don't like it, unless it's like immoral or illegal, just roll with it.
Speaker 2: Just roll with a bunch of what is right? What are you gonna do?
Speaker 1: Get a friend with a boat, you know, that's right. Enjoy your weekend.
Speaker 2: Yeah, mooch, mooch, that's Billy's thing.
Speaker 1: That's for a couple of gambling picks.
Speaker 3: Search is mooch, you know, but don't ask me anything about a gambling pick because it's not gonna go well for you.
Speaker 1: Eight five nine two two two eight seven. Let's take a quick call before we take our final break. Free Bird is on the line. What's up, free Bird?
Speaker 2: Hey? What's going on? Man?
Speaker 4: Hey? I was gonna say, don I was.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 4: I was working out in Breaking Ridge County last week. I please, I worked for a coming. We we did character education books for first graders and fourth graders and we uh shoot them out to the schools. So we got books there a Saint Romuel and uh I went to school with Lindsay Wilson. So I went to school with quite a few people there, man, Jerry Lucas and Ricky Caster and uh uh we do with uh uh Donny Butler at First State Bank down there.
Speaker 3: Yep, I know mister Lucas too. They are good people. And of course Saint Romuel. That was always our our competition, that was your competition.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 3: They you want to you want to date the girls from Saint Romiel. They for some reason, they were just prettier. I don't know why, but that's sort of what we thought, right, This is just.
Speaker 4: Different thought out there. Don't quite a few people down there. But uh, a very great show today. Glad you came on board. Officer done well.
Speaker 2: I appreciate it.
Speaker 1: Thank you, man, be safe, thank you free bird. A small world out there.
Speaker 2: It is in a small world.
Speaker 3: You know, you know who you're gonna bump into, right, I mean you remember that, Billy when you make people.
Speaker 2: Man, that's right.
Speaker 1: Don't burn bridges, right, because.
Speaker 2: Be working for me someday. Keep that in mind.
Speaker 1: I'm sure that's a tough problem for you, not burning bridges, because I know you like to pop off on people.
Speaker 2: You know, I've been doing that a long time ago.
Speaker 3: Like whatever, Man, Plus realize half the time I pop up, I'm wrong. So once you realize that, you start shutting your mouth.
Speaker 1: Oh not me, I'll just keep doing it.
Speaker 2: You're not there yet, you know.
Speaker 1: Just keep shouting at the world. We're going to take a break. A five nine two two two eight seven. One more segment to go with Officer don He's been very gracious with his time. We appreciate him. We'll be right back here on the KSPI.
Speaker 2: Man who picture bumper music? I like that?
Speaker 1: That's our guy Rick Ryder little Zezy Top and Rick always does a great job with the music.
Speaker 2: Cool.
Speaker 1: That's the voice of Officer Don from ninety eight one The Bowl. He's joined us for one final segment here on this Thursday edition of the show, and we like to say you got Corey priced when a guest comes in and our guy Corey finds old photos of our guest, and we got a senior photo of Officer Don that I've just shared on my Twitter account. But we also got a picture from nineteen eighty four of Officer Don dressing up as Mickey Mouse.
Speaker 2: Oh it's not Mickey Mouse. I got to correct. You got us in trouble.
Speaker 1: It's the scariest look in Mickey Mouse costume I've ever seen. It's like the stuff of nightmares.
Speaker 2: What do you call it?
Speaker 3: Well, we wanted a mascot for the radio station, so we decided we would use Mickey Mouse. But Disney found out about it and was like, you can't just an issue. It's an issue. So we called him Dickey Mouse. So I was Dickey Mouse, and I would go to places like Hogwalla, Kentucky, and you know, I would be.
Speaker 2: Hey boys and girls Dickey.
Speaker 3: Mouse, you know, but you're right, it was half the kids were terrified of it. And there's another terrible story with that, because there was a crazy lady in our hometown that claimed that I like groped her while I was in my Dickey Mouse out. Went to the general managers, like, you know, he touched me in appropriately in this thing, and I'm like what I said, Look, I have opposing thumbs are mints.
Speaker 2: I don't know who I'm bumping into this thing. I can't see you know, have you ever been one of those things? No, you can't imagine you're trying to see them. I'm like, I don't have a clue. The lady's crazy. Turn out, she was crazy, you know, Thank goodness.
Speaker 1: So you guys needed a mascot for the station, and we made it and you found the scariest Mickey Mouse costume.
Speaker 2: That's how That's what I did.
Speaker 1: And you go around to Kentucky town hearing the kids groping women.
Speaker 2: I know there was no groping. I'm just that's that was wow.
Speaker 3: A terrible time, but thank goodness that turned out to work out. Yeah, Dickey Mouse from Hogwallow, Kentucky.
Speaker 2: How about that.
Speaker 1: Officer Don's reaction when I showed him that photo was priceless.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, I've been looking for a photo of that forever, so I'm glad that he who passed it on to Corey Price.
Speaker 2: Corey, thank you, Corey Price. I don't know where you found that.
Speaker 1: He does great work, but do me a favorite.
Speaker 2: Quit looking. I don't want you to find anything.
Speaker 1: At Billy R Sports if you'd like to see that photo of Officer Don. Uh. Donnie, We just got a couple of minutes left here, and I want to say thank you for joining the show, but not only that, thank you for the conversations over the years. You've been a bit of a mentor to me over the years. I'm about to turn thirty next month. If you were to tell your thirty year old's self anything, what would you.
Speaker 3: Tell, Man, That's that's a hard one. Just I would say, keep your mouth shut. But you don't need to do that, cause it's what you do for a living.
Speaker 2: I don't any but I.
Speaker 3: Will tell you this, man, I did come to you a few years ago and I told you how much talent you have because you were like board opping then and I was like, man, you need to do this. All you got to do is get yourself out there and you're gonna do big things. You keep doing big things. And I'm not just stucking up to you. I've I've always been a fan billy. You're pretty sharp.
Speaker 1: Well, thank you. I really appreciated that, and we'll go we'll go back to insult. Well yeah, we'll go back to the insults in just a second. But the advice that you've given me over the years has been priceless. So thank you for that. I do, I do mean it, appreciate it. So now what are you off to do? Like, what's soft sir Don's day look like?
Speaker 2: Well, in just a minute, I have to interview Lee Bryce. You know who that is.
Speaker 3: Nope, that's a big famous country stars. I had seven number one hitsies coming elects an opera house. So I'm going to go in there and talk to Lee a little bit and then we're going to air that in the morning. That's that's a cool part about that job. You know, you get to hobnob with these folks.
Speaker 1: Yeah, talked to with celebrities. You know, Shannon does a lot of that phone interviews with rock stars.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's sort of cool. You know, and the country music culture is like that still. It really is sort of old school those. I can't think of anyone other, Well, there's maybe one that's a that's a jerk in that business of the people always ask me that, you know, what's Luke Brian, Like, what's Blake Shelton? Like?
Speaker 2: Yeah, they're good people, they really are.
Speaker 3: At least they fake it really well because it's you know, they have to maybe Oh God, bless your heart, it's the culture, but they really do mean it.
Speaker 2: There's a couple every once in a while the will, you know, be sort of jerks.
Speaker 1: You still find a lot of purpose in your job?
Speaker 2: Is it disc jockey?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: No, oh it's purpose disc jockey. No, it's fun.
Speaker 3: The purpose the thing with my job It is fun, so and and and that's cool long as you don't take it too seriously. But yeah, it's it's I'm very, very, very fortunate, man. I've got to do fun things my whole life. Helicopter, pilot, cop, motorcycle cop. That was my favorite thing, uh, being radio, you know, so I'm I'm very fortunate.
Speaker 1: And what time does your show air? Like if listeners wanted to hear more of outser done.
Speaker 2: Well, don't listen between six and seven because.
Speaker 3: I'm or nine and really tired nine in ten, So yeah, don't listen to nine and ten because that affects billy.
Speaker 2: But how about just do seven to.
Speaker 1: Nine, seven to nine, yeah, and on the bowlder that will work.
Speaker 2: Well, you're gonna all get along together that way.
Speaker 1: Were you always a country music fan or did it kind of?
Speaker 2: I like it. I like good music. It doesn't matter.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know, I really do. I like good music. So if it's if it's if it's good, I'm cool with.
Speaker 1: Well, you're gonna have to tell me some of these stories off the air about these country music jerks.
Speaker 2: Oh there's only a couple.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's only Luke Comb's and what he told you on the phone that one day, or.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no, don't throw Luke out there. Luke's a good guy. I mean, there's there's a couple out there.
Speaker 1: Okay, months all right, all right, Well, one of these days you'll be playing shann the Dude's music on your station. Not very country, but he's got his own okay as.
Speaker 3: Well, well said seven, we'll put him on the list. I can use them for bumper music. I think they'll let me do that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think so. Hey, big thank you again you.
Speaker 2: I appreciate it.
Speaker 1: All right, that's going to do it for us. Drew Pulouza is next live from Chaos Bar and Girl. I believe Adam Luckett is there. I think I'm going to join as well. Big thank you to Officer Don. I'm Billy Rutlers. This has been the Chaos Are Pretty Shop