Speaker 1: Welcome into the Ravens Press Pass podcast. The Ravens are preparing for their game Thursday night against the Kansas City Chiefs, and today we had a chance to hear from head coach John Harball.
Speaker 2: Good to see everybody, appreciate you being here. We're looking forward to the game, uh and the preparations essentially finished as far as the main on the field work, but we'll be working right up until game time to be ready to try to put our best foot forward. What questions do you have?
Speaker 3: Too many battles against Derek ken Ras.
Speaker 4: What's up with this work code that's got hits?
Speaker 1: What do you do?
Speaker 4: You have TV?
Speaker 2: Jamison has TV. It's an opportunity to prove all the all the pundit's wrong, people who say you have you're a radio guy. You know you have a face for TV. You're a good looking guy. Got a new haircut too looking, charp nice and you clean up well?
Speaker 3: Thank you. He's got too many battles against the years. How's it gonna feel though to have him kind of in your back in game action.
Speaker 2: It's gonna feel great to have Derek Henry Henry on our side. It's gonna be a wonderful thing looking forward to it.
Speaker 3: Coach, how do you account for his improvisational skills and making plays on the run, flicking the ball.
Speaker 2: And stuff he does, Well, you really do have to account for it, Todd. I mean, nobody does it like Patrick Mahomes does it in terms of I'm not talking about the level of I'm talking about the style of it. He is his own guy in terms of the way he plays, how quick the ball comes out on the ones down to get it outs and uh, and how long he'll take as long as necessary to try to find a completion nor scramble run on the ones that are now fast. So that's his skill he's great at it. I think their offensive line, they're passing him, everything is built around his skill set that way. They've done a great job of that and that's one of the biggest reasons that they're successful as they are.
Speaker 5: What was it important in that ies O the decals for their Joe d and Jacoby Just why was that important?
Speaker 6: So?
Speaker 7: I know you said with a season you're dedicating to them, but to have that decal and the helmet this season.
Speaker 2: Very well, it's a great question. Why is it important to honor and remember Jacoby and Joe d with the helmet decal, And really it comes back to what's the most important thing. And we do have a lot of great conversations here about games and expectations and what went right and what went wrong and how you're going to defend this player or that player and all that stuff is what we do, but it's it's not who we do it with, really, And the reason is is because the who we do it with, whether it's in our job or our family life, our friends, just our walk through life, who we do it with is really the thing. And then what we do about the people for the people with the people that we do it with. And so what an opportunity to remember, honor love two people that we were with, you know, all those years. And then I think the biggest reminder of that to me is I look at that helmet decal. It's a reminder to remember the people that you're doing it with now, you know, your family, your friends, your co workers, even your competitors you're competing against, you know, uh, to make the most of these moments because our time on this earth is short, man, it's short lived. Life is short, you know, run to the ball, it's a it's a flicker where we're grass. It burns up in the day in the daytime sun, and it's what you do between those two dates that matter. So I think it's kind of a reminder of all that kind of stuff.
Speaker 5: John, especially with Joe d It's it's still so fresh for for all you guys. How have you how have you seen guys kind of work through what you guys are going through to kind of kind of get the business of football and how intermingled are are they big in the work right now?
Speaker 2: Well, you know, it's the it's this, it's it's things happen and and but but but time still keeps moving on.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 2: I always talk to the guys about going to the ocean and sitting on the beach, you know, and sit on the beach. Some people think it's boring. I think it's fascinating to sit on the beach and just watch the waves come in because they don't stop. They don't, they don't, they don't, they don't stop. Sometimes sometimes they're kind of calm and nice and fun and warm and inviting, and other times they get a little rough, you know, and there's storms and they come in one after another, and they're high, and they can they can be dangerous. But that's that's kind of a time analogy that those waves just keep coming, man, So you just got to keep swimming. You got to keep you got to keep at it. So I think that's what our guys have done. They've they acknowledged, you know, the people that they loved, they remember them, and they keep going, you know, and that's what you have to do.
Speaker 3: John, Any folks you know, all off seats in the trading camp about you know, the AFC Championship game now two days away from the season opener. I mean, is there any carryover do you feel from that game going into this?
Speaker 2: Oh, there's always carry over, absolutely. I mean there's carryover for both teams, there's carryover strets, strategically, there's carryover for the individual battles that guys are going to have they are still on the team.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 2: You know, one thing always leads to the next. You know, one wave leads to the next wave, and these two waves happen to be coming right after the other one. So that's the that's an interesting thing. It's a storyline, but you know it's uh, it's part of it for sure.
Speaker 8: What are your kind of emotions or anxiety? Obviously, you know Week one every year. I'm sure you're anxious to get going when it's Is it different when it's against a Kansas City first game, prime time, all of that?
Speaker 4: Does it like?
Speaker 8: What is that day leading up to the all of that?
Speaker 2: Like for you, it's it's it's like it's it's uh. I'm not gonna try to under downplay it, but I don't want you to think it's different either. I mean, it's always. It's always. There's always. It's not anxiety. The word we use is tension. There's always tension because you want to go out and do well and if you want to be strong, if you want to be successful. It's like a bridge, you know, like a like a bridge, hanging bridge. What are those called?
Speaker 4: Suspension?
Speaker 2: A suspension bridge? Right, those cables, they they have tension to hold that bridge up there and keep everybody safe. There's tension when you're lifting weights. There's tension in your arms and your muscles. There's got to be tension. So guys are gonna be tense, they're gonna be locked in, they're gonna be focused. You feel that way, and it's the first game, So it adds to that. But beyond that, there's there's not anxiety, there's not there's no fear at all. There's excitement to go play the game.
Speaker 9: John, what do you notice from some of these rookie guys that are about to place their first regular season game, real game, even Trenton sevsonho was about to get a start for the first time in this level. For the remainder of the season, you felt like you had to say anything to these guys.
Speaker 2: They're ready to go. I think we say something to them every day and how we operate, you know, and how we play and how we teach and how they practice, and and they'll stand on that going into this game, just like all the guys will. And they'll just trust their fundamentals and trust their training, trust their talent, you know, trust the fact that they've been working their whole life. The thing we want to do is you make a decision going into any game or any any a career. You make a decision about how you're going to do it. You know what's gonna come in front of you know what challenges you're gonna have. It's like, okay, ahead of time, you decide if this happens, this is how I'm gonna respond.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 2: So if I'm rushing the passer and the ball gets out quick, what am I gonna do? Am I gonna go look and see and decide if I need to chase the ball? Or I already decided I'm gonna put a foot in the ground and go chase the ball. You already make that decision. So that's how our guys are thinking.
Speaker 1: In the locker room. We also heard from wide receiver Rashaan Bateman. Where do you feel like that chemistry is with La Mark?
Speaker 10: I feel like I said a good point right now. We put it in a lot of work. You know, I was able to do training camp, so we're looking forward to it.
Speaker 1: So how did you describe the excitement going into this game? This opponent at the stage all that I.
Speaker 10: Never played out heard it's crazy, So you know, definitely up for the challenge, you know, decided to take the field of these guys and we'll see what happens.
Speaker 1: This year's second year of the offense under Todd Mounket. How how much better I guess prepared?
Speaker 2: Ready?
Speaker 1: You know, well, you think the offense this is a whole knowing that you guys have had in a season under your belt, under toide, you.
Speaker 4: Definite a little bit more comfortable.
Speaker 7: Uh.
Speaker 10: I feel like, uh, you know, switching offenses could be hard at sometimes, but playing last year having success, we kind of know what to expect now.
Speaker 4: Uh, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 10: Working with Lamar, working with UH coach Monkin, I feel like we're all on the same page. So just been out there being able to get those reps.
Speaker 4: It's been important cause.
Speaker 5: It's obviously gonna be an emotional line for those guys celebrating their Super.
Speaker 4: Bowl win, is it? And you're when you kind of see what the Chiefs have done. Is it good to have somebody to shoot for?
Speaker 5: Somebody and sort of the bull's eyes, so to speak, that that you guys can.
Speaker 10: Be got to broke through against I We're not aiming for nobody, I mean, and I'm pretty sure they're not aiming for us. I mean, they beat us far and Squire last year. And you know, I feel like we just gonna play football again Thursday night.
Speaker 9: I shall and hearing uh, John Harball here and Lamar really talk you up a lot this off season, and you had a really good camp.
Speaker 4: What what does that do for your confidence? Now going into this season.
Speaker 10: Doesn't really do anything for my confidence. It just shows me that this teammate, this organization you know, believes in me. I've always had the confidence in myself to go out in you know, play football and do the things I need to do. Uh, but you know, to sign the extension here, it it shows that you know, the Costel Pashadi, Lamar uh Hardwall, you know, Munckt, whoever it is, you know, it shows that they all believe in my abilities. And you know that's a you know, that's a a peaceful mind accomplish that comes with that.
Speaker 7: I'm sure everyone you know goes into this game with different different feelings.
Speaker 8: It's kind of how are you approaching this?
Speaker 9: Uh?
Speaker 4: Given out last year end?
Speaker 5: It is this a turn to turn the page twenty twenty.
Speaker 8: Four where you still think about how last year end.
Speaker 4: It just gonna cover your impersonally.
Speaker 10: Nobody in NFL cares about what happens the year before. We onto you know, new things, bigger things, and that's the only thing we hoping to accomplish right now. And for me, you know, this is my first f UH full off season fully healthy UH training campt fully healthy. Yeah, I know, I missed a couple of days, but it's so long as I've been on the practice field, you know, uh, since I been here. So I'm definitely excited to go out there and you know, do my thing.
Speaker 4: It's kind of how what is what is that feeling for you kind of going into the season now with that healthy off season.
Speaker 7: And you know, you mentioned how people are kind of looking to you and noticing that you're you're those.
Speaker 4: And things out there.
Speaker 10: Uh, it's definitely the exciting feeling hopefully you know it.
Speaker 4: It all can be on put on, put on.
Speaker 1: Show lots of one of your bite We saw your uh your tweet you know that kind of grew up about just kind of hoping and praying for a big year in big game on that. Yeah, I just going along with that.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 1: I how does that kind of play into the excitement that you have going into this year?
Speaker 4: What the tweet?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean does that kind of encapsulate your your mindset, your excitement going into this year?
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I mean.
Speaker 10: Baltimore drafted me and there's been a lot of you know, he says, she's say uh about me. But you know, at the end of the day. I love playing here. I do love Baltimore.
Speaker 4: I love my teammates.
Speaker 10: So for me, I just wanna go out and you know, do it right for the city. You know, put the you know, sew the guys, you know that you can depend on me, So this city that you can depend on me. So this you know, the coaching staff, you know those things as well. So I'm definitely excited to go out and you know, hopefully bring a Super Bowl back to Baltimore.
Speaker 1: We also talked with fellow wide receiver Zay Flowers.
Speaker 8: A way last year ended, how how much have you been looking forward to this game and more than kind of what are your emotions like and so.
Speaker 11: Far it's a different season now, so I ain't really too worried about last year. Were trying to get a championship this year, so that's out the window.
Speaker 4: We just gotta go win this game.
Speaker 5: So you said at the end of the last season that you could use obviously umble in the end zone, that's the slame shot to become a better player.
Speaker 4: How do you think that motivation that's transitd in the last couple of months.
Speaker 11: I'm just I just want to have a better season. So I've been practicing with the guys. We've been working towards I mayn't go which is a championship. So last season with last season, and I mean, I use it as fuel, but it ain't really I don't. It's a new season. I think about that. I'm messing myself up for this season.
Speaker 1: So where do you feel like, uh, the chemistry is with the receivers on the MA going into this year?
Speaker 12: Uh?
Speaker 11: I mean it's the second end is often so I feel like the chemistry is way better. It got uh better, connections better. You know, I can't give out too many kids, but we getting better.
Speaker 4: We working tay.
Speaker 12: Given how ye season and say that the Chiefs are from being one match up, it's not one of those thoughts.
Speaker 7: Play are going through your mind year to get the camp for this game or kind of how.
Speaker 4: You feel going into it?
Speaker 6: Uh huh Nah.
Speaker 4: I'm prepared the same way.
Speaker 11: I'm'a go out prepared, probably dance around the field, do.
Speaker 4: What I do and get ready for the game.
Speaker 11: I got my team Bahamas, so we all good tip to that end. To that point, Yet you know, if he put camped up, I mean there's something about a season opener but when you are the season open for.
Speaker 4: The entire league, I mean, how much more special is that? What do you expect you in Thurston lay?
Speaker 12: Uh?
Speaker 11: I mean we put we had a hard training camp, so I mean everybody on our team ready.
Speaker 4: We gonna be ready to go. We gonna be ready to play.
Speaker 11: Our coach I think put together a great game plan for us, so we gonna get ready to play our ball.
Speaker 6: They say you think Bateman's about ready to exploit this season.
Speaker 4: Absolutely, yeah, he gonna have a go in this year.
Speaker 11: Cause the work he put in, the work he put in this off season, you could tell he been focused in the meeting rooms. He been talking to Lamar, he been talking to He's just been getting involved with everybody more and the more involved in the offense. So I feel like it'll be a great year for him.
Speaker 7: How do you think having Derick Henry could change the way that the secondary is.
Speaker 4: Trying to cover?
Speaker 11: You guess you gotta tackle him first. That's why, like, you gotta go tackle Derrick Henry. Then well, let me put it like this way. You gotta tackle Lamar and Derrek Henry out the back flod and then you gotta worry about all the receivers, Mark lightly me bait, and people coming out the bench. So we got a lot of playmakers everywhere.
Speaker 6: He's, hey, I think Week won last season. Your first NFL game, you had like twenty targets something crazy. You know, you had a big first game. Yeah, how are you different now than you were going into Week one as a rookie?
Speaker 11: I say, the game of the speed, like the speed of the game it was, it was faster. So I was out there just I was just off of all instincts, like not really knowing what's going on.
Speaker 4: I was really more just playing football.
Speaker 8: Is there anything different about playing in prime time?
Speaker 4: One of the lights for you? Nah, I cheat all the games the same. I go out and play.
Speaker 11: I go out and play hard every game, and I really just cheat all of 'em the same and play my game.
Speaker 1: How would you sum up the the atmosphere of the excitement from a team standpoint going into this game of the season.
Speaker 11: You know, we all decided especially what like like you said, well happened last year, and we sh we get to start it off with him and start the season off with a bang.
Speaker 4: So we gonna go out there and play our game. They you seem unveils Luatacas for Joke Games Robe today. Jakobe was here during during summer. Did you get a chance of talking off?
Speaker 11: Yeah, yeah, yeah he I think I end up at Lamar. I think threw me a ball and it was like came out right off my fingertips and I was running back. He was like, hey, don blood, you better than that. I know you better than that. And I'm looking him like, man, who talking to me? I'm thinking it's a fan, and then I just see him runing up to me because you know, he was a childhood like, childhood like legend, like from when I was young. I see him taking back kid returns, punt returns, deep balls, winning games, Super Bowl. So he always been a legend in my book, like always knew who he was, always rooted from, and always cheered for him since I was a kid, always been a big fan.
Speaker 6: If you were to pick one breakout kind of that this year among your teammates, WO would have been.
Speaker 11: All the receivers, including the tight ends.
Speaker 4: Everybody gonna have a good year.
Speaker 1: And lastly, today we had a chance to hear from linebacker Trenton Simpson, who's preparing to take over a starting role in this Ravens defense, and I'm excited.
Speaker 12: I feel like all off season been training or practicing the right way, earned the respect of my teammate and my coachest. Some man, I'm excited to go out there and see the work that I put in payoff.
Speaker 4: For sure? What are you most excited out you want to come to this defense?
Speaker 12: Man? Just the versatility to all the pains we have, the players we have and playing a a along some great players. So uh, just going out there everybody been on the same page, and the speed this defense has been.
Speaker 4: I'm excited. Yeah, for for you as.
Speaker 7: A linebacker, just kind of what is gonna be the key for this one?
Speaker 3: Uh?
Speaker 7: When you're when you're going against you know, this Chiefs offense that you so many different things to.
Speaker 4: Try to throw you off. Just what'slist the key?
Speaker 12: I say, the key to success is just being on the same page. Everybody being on the same uh page one accord, Just going out there communicating and just playing at a high level.
Speaker 1: And how prepared do you feel for this season given all the work that you put in over the last year.
Speaker 12: Man, I feel like I'm very prepared, being tr started since last year all the way up into OTA's training camp and then uh, just going out there getting three preseason games under my belt. I feel like, uh, physically I'm in shape, mentally I'm ready to roll, and spiritually, man, blessing, I'm ready for this game.
Speaker 1: Uh. I know you felt like playing those preseason stats was really important to you. What did you benefit from those games?
Speaker 4: Uh?
Speaker 12: Just going out there getting game reps, seeing uh different things, Uh, seeing different offices, schemes, and uh just going out there just getting game reps, you know, getting ready for the season.
Speaker 1: How would you describe I guess for you the emotions knowing that you're going into a year as a starter and all that comes along with that.
Speaker 12: Man, I'm blessed and all I can do is thank God. But me, I feel like I put the work in. Man, I'm just excited to see my work payoff. I feel like I've came in every single day, attack to day and gave it everything I got. So I'm excited to see what comes out of this.
Speaker 7: You're close with me date just kind of have you had any words with him about you know what getting that first taste of NFL action is going to be like and kind of maybe helped calf if there were any nerves or any year now, I.
Speaker 12: Just told him be himself. You know, Nate is a special athlete, special player. I just told him go out there and be yourself, fly around, have fun, and just say everybody be on the same page, but I told him, for one, just just be yourself. Have fun.
Speaker 1: You're listening to the Ravens Press Pass podcast. That game is coming up on Thursday night, and we will be back with you with more pressers and interviews after that game.