Speaker 1: So I'll walk you up and I'll show you the Actually it starts up in Lincoln's INNO. Okay, So this is Lincoln's In that we're about to enter. I think this is the oldest of all the evens, about six hundred years old.
Speaker 2: Lincoln's It almost everything I understand about a fair trial. I owe to a place like this, one of England's historic bar associations. This is nuts, guys, ok right. So this is a huge room, a huge banquet hall that has wood paneling with all of these like crests of some nightly kind. There's portraits of people from presumably very important people, and it looks like a cathedral. But I guess for food, the presumption of innocence, the right to be judged by a jury of your peers. England built all that, and then it handed the blueprint to the rest of us. And you have to belong to this. Yes, what does that mean?
Speaker 1: So you can become a member, okay? And you can only become a call to the bar. What you've eaten so many dinners.
Speaker 2: That's bizarre. So okay, So you take the test to become a barrister. But that's not enough. You have to eat food.
Speaker 1: I had to eat eighteen dinnies.
Speaker 2: Eighteen dinners. What is the point of that? Is that to say, like trade your bar.
Speaker 1: Was that you didn't actually take exams to become a barrister. You learn by dining and being with people.
Speaker 2: You learn by belonging. That's the part that stayed with me. A system this old doesn't just hand down its rules. It hands down its instincts, who belongs, who's reliable, whose sounds right? And six hundred years of that builds something beautiful and something very sure of itself.
Speaker 1: This here is a painting of all the great lawmakers throughout history. Up there is Alfred, King, Alfred and Plato and sort of all the great voices throughout history is all painted of that.
Speaker 2: Are there a wall of certainty looking down? And I kept thinking, a system this confident in its own history is a system that finds it very hard to say it got something wrong.
Speaker 1: I think the slightly unorthodox approach that I've taken to this case are playing the whole thing out in public. Yeah, it's something that a few parts of the bar, some elements of the bar would probably raise our eyebrow out.
Speaker 2: That's why I'd come to London. Mark McDonald is Lucy let Be's barrister. He's doing something. His profession isn't built for making the argument out loud in public where everyone can see it. Because the quiet, traditional route, the one those portraits would prefer, is the one that's kept her where she is. This is doubt the case of Lucy let Be Bonus episode four, Shaking up the Establishment. Sitting down with Mark at his offices, we got straight into the important business of understanding what Lucy let Be's out to release might be. So you talk about her getting released, yes, can you explain to me how that could happen?
Speaker 1: So the CCRC refers the matter to the Court of Appeal. Before the Court of Appeal. We have some amazing judges in this country in the Court of Appeal. I'm not just saying that because I want them to agree with me, but we do. We do have some brilliant judges and they will put what I have put before the CRC under scrutiny, and they will test it, and if it's found wanting, they will reject it. The battle in this case is the Court of Appeal. Now the CCRC can refer the conviction to the Court of appeal on any of the reports that I've put before them, or all of the reports I put before them, But they can do on a discrete issue. And when I get to the Court of Appeal, I'm going to have to argue, well, the CCRC has said the failure to have a statistician is so important that the convictions are unsafe. But actually I want to bring in Shuley and the international experts, and I want to bring in this so I want to expand it. And it's up to the Court of Appeal to decide or not they agree with me or not if they want to hear all that evidence, or they could just say the whole and then all these experts. And if that's the case, then we could have a lengthy argument in the Court of Appeal that can go on for weeks, where they hear all this evidence and their decision, their only decision that they have to make. You board it all the way down is are these convictions safe? That's the test. If they say they're not safe, then they're crushed.
Speaker 2: And she's out.
Speaker 3: No.
Speaker 1: The prosecution can then apply for a retrial, the Court of Appeal can agree, or it's called who's Decisionless to whatever or not she has a retrial, but the prosecution can apply for a retrial and it is likely that if they do apply, they would agree to let them have a retrial in front of the jury. Now, who they're going to use as they're experts when it comes to a retrial, would be of interest, but that's their problem.
Speaker 2: Not so when does the lucy gets out part.
Speaker 1: If there's a retrial and it goes in front of a jewelry and she's found not guilty, she walks out of the Crown Court. If there's not a retrial, she walks out of the Court of Appeal.
Speaker 2: So the before even being retried, she got out. But also there are a lot of ifs. What happens if the CCRC doesn't recommend it, if they.
Speaker 1: Don't refer it to the Court of Appeal. I can challenge the CCRC by way of judicial in the High Court. I have to say that applications to review the CCRC don't often succeed. I've done it once in fact, and we've known that case. I succeeded in that I got leave to appeal, and then the CCRC took it back and said, yeah, we agree with the High Court where we look at this.
Speaker 2: So it's not a complete dead end if the CCRC doesn't refer it to appeal, but if the High Court, if you challenge that and you go to the High Court and they say too.
Speaker 1: Bad, that's it.
Speaker 2: That's it, nothing will nothing more.
Speaker 1: Sometimes I think, oh, shall I hold one of these reports back just in case? But they've got everything.
Speaker 2: And when Mark says they've got everything, he really means it. The amount of work that has gone into those reports has been immense. Clearly the role of the expert place an outsized rule, especially in this case. How important are the rules of the expert witnesses during her appeal, especially considering the fact that she had none during her actual first trial.
Speaker 1: The starting point with the whole of this trial is that it was based around a hypothesis, so no direct evidence Noah saw her do anything wrong. The hypothesis was given by the experts. Therefore, the quality of the experts and the evidence that they give is under a microscope. And so the experts that I have gone to and used foording to three categories, really the first is a greater expert by file than the ones that were used at trial by the prosecution Secondly, an identification by experts of evidence that was not put before the jury. The third is in relation to experts of a discipline, for example susssicians that were simply not used in the trial. So I have those experts. There is now evidence and I am relying upon that's put before the CCRC in relation to the police investigation. It is up to the CCRC to decide whether that is something that impacts upon the safety of the conviction. So that's what I'm putting it. The main prosecution expert witness has been saying quite a lot since the conviction and has given a number of podcasts and interviews, and in some of those interviews he's said things that are inconsistent with what was said before the jury. So that's gone in.
Speaker 2: How do you think they should conduct themselves?
Speaker 1: So an expert has a duty to the court. The overrides their duty to the person who instructs them to give the evidence. So their duty is to be the Criminal Cases Review Commission or the Court of Appeal is to assist the court. And if it's a we try the jewelry investor come to come to the conclusion and what their opinion is. The juries are directed that they've got an expert opinion. It's up to them whether or not they accept it or not. They could disregard it if they wanted to. And so they're there to be independent and not to come to a conclusion as to the guilt or innocence of the individual. That's not their job. Their job is to look at the statistics, look at what was said to the jewelry, and then say, I don't think that they were given accurate information and this is the reasons why, and not to go beyond that and to say and that means she's not guilty and she's innocent. That's not their job.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 1: The important thing about all the experts or thirty odd experts is that not one of them has been paid, not one penny. Why because I got money?
Speaker 2: Well, should they be in an ideal situation?
Speaker 1: Yea work, you do a job, let's be paid. But aren't any money?
Speaker 2: So what kind of experts does Mark have working on his CCRC reports?
Speaker 1: Neil Layton is an incredibly experienced neoetologist, but he's also a man who's a detailed man who has spent hundreds and hundreds of hours working away at the hospital. Notes in the hospital x rays and expert reports that found things that other people have not been able to find, not based upon Oh I've got a different opinion, But hold on you. You haven't included that lab result there. That's actually quite important. And here go through the whole of the transcripts and it was never mentioned for the jury. And he is, I think, has become very important to this appeal system. And the probably lighton also is that he's only anatologist and one of the things that the Court of Appeal don't like is just getting.
Speaker 2: Another expert, just any old expert.
Speaker 1: And so he's been great from the point of view that he's uncovered things, But the hierarchy of experts starts with Shuley and the international experts across the world. But what he's been very good at is uncovering a lot of wrongdoing, mistakes that happened before the trial and expose them. So his reports sometimes go up to eighteen ninety one hundred pages of detail.
Speaker 2: I was particularly interested in how the CCRC report would deal with the cases of supposed insulin poisoning.
Speaker 1: I've challenged every single element of the prosecution cases been put before the trial, every element be it the so called confession notes, be it the statistical evidence, be it the issues in relation to air embolism, be it the incident. I've focused on all of them. I've dismantled every single element. But here says the prosecution, this is the smoking gun, is the incident cases, because they've got these incident results.
Speaker 2: They put that question to Lucy on trial.
Speaker 1: In cross examination, and quite robust cross examination. She was as she conceded the issue in relation to the expert evidence that was put to her in questioning and said to her, and it's not criticism towards the prosecuting council. He did his job and he did it very well in the way that he cross examined her, But in essence said, Ler, do you accept that, if these experts are correct, that these babies are poisoned? Yes, so who poisoned them is the issue. I didn't poison them. So you can see the way that she was cross examined on this is but it was never the defense case that they accepted the results of this incident. The defense never accepted it was never their case. And now we've looked at them, you can see why. You know, the seven expert joy report that I put in last year in relation to expert completely exposes the whole issue in relation to hyperothemia and the essay testing and the reliability of the testing, and the report that I'm about to put in next week exposes the many issues in relation to insulin and the testimony on insulin that was given to the jury, the many mistakes that were made, because there were many.
Speaker 2: I mean, I think this is a prominent lot of wrongful convictions. Is if it's not the convicted person, if it's not Lucy, then what was it? What is the alternative explanation?
Speaker 1: I think this is what's unique about Lucy Letbe is because in most cases you find someone has been murdered, there's a gunshot wound or a stab wound, and it's who did it. Here, no crime has been committed, and when no crime is being committed, it's not who did it because there was no crime. But what there was was a systemic fading of a unit that was taking babies that were too sick for that unit and shouldn't have been on that unit, that was overwrapped, overstressed, under resourced, and issues in relation to medical care have been raised by the medical experts. Issues in relation to not having appropriate staff on the unit have been raised by the experts, and it's important to say that this actually mirrors over neonatal units in the country. It's not unique to the Countess of Chester. It's just that the Countess of Chester art pointing the finger at somebody. But people in the hospital said no, senior people, senior managers said no, there's no evidence that Lucy had done something.
Speaker 4: None.
Speaker 1: But then the police were contacted and an investigation started and a press release happened, And sitting at home treaking his coffee was a man called Dr Darry Evans, who then sent an email saying, this sounds like my type of case. Within weeks with meeting the police and as he would say, and as he said on the podcast, I knew within ten minutes that there had been intentional harm to a baby. There have been post mortem's, clinical reviews for months, if not years, and no one had identified anything. But within ten minutes over his coffee Darry Evans did.
Speaker 2: There are many who believe that Lucy Let is in prison because she was a whistleblower, someone who was bullied by senior staff challenged them at tribunal and was retaliated against to such an extent that she was accused of murder. I asked Mark about his thoughts on whistleblowers in the NHS.
Speaker 1: It's happening almost on a daily basis in our health service. There are doctors being sacked for speaking out. There are nurses being sacked for speaking out. We have a real problem and then not being protected. They're just not being protected by our system. Lucy let be epitomizers everything that's gone wrong, always going wrong in o for health service. Our health service has been broken for a long time and nobody would admit it. Our labor units are dangerous, neo natal units are dangerous. Of them but many of them, and people won't accept it. We put our health service upon a pedestal, but it's broken.
Speaker 2: How hopeful are you feeling.
Speaker 1: This conviction will be overturned? Do you think so, lucy Let, people will be free?
Speaker 2: What gives you that hope?
Speaker 1: Because I have never seen more expert, most national and international expert come forward and say what went on at that trial? It was so bad that this is a platant mischaracter justice. She's innocent.
Speaker 2: Mark mc donald believes Lucy let be is innocent, and though it is his job to argue that point, my sense is he'd be fighting this fight regardless. I wanted to hear from someone with no brief to argue, someone with nothing to gain. So we went to the Palace of Westminster, the Houses of Parliament, to be exact, into the shadow of Big Ben, past armed police and through security, where an aid met us and led us up a narrow back staircase to a wood paneled office overflowing with books. Tea was poured. Big Ben chimed through a window looking down on the courtyard, and here, in the heart of the British establishment, sat one of the most persistent thorns in its side. Sir David Davis MP.
Speaker 4: So you want to talk about Lucy, let me.
Speaker 2: I would love to know what initially drew you to the case, because it's not, you know, politically opportune.
Speaker 3: I might think, yeah, my hate mails went up by the small amount of I imagine, I don't know. I mean, I asked mat, I never read it, Yeah, exactly. It is not my first radio. People tend to see me as sort of missed and miscarriage of justice or the obverse.
Speaker 4: One hopes the.
Speaker 3: Sort of classical pattern for a miscarriage is that the person who turns out to be the victim of the miscarriage is hated by everybody.
Speaker 4: And the first thing you must have come across this yourself.
Speaker 2: I don't know what you mean.
Speaker 3: Yeah, exactly, It's hated by everybody, and so everybody else is terrorized out of doing anything about it.
Speaker 4: So my role, in many.
Speaker 3: Ways is to be the icebreaker for that right.
Speaker 4: And you were seen with this that.
Speaker 3: Once I'd spoken in Parliament and so on, once I'd said publicly various things about it. There was a a cascade of witnesses, mostly experts, but not just experts, the nineteen nurses.
Speaker 2: And someone among the people reaching out to Davis was a friend in New York, the old science advisor of number ten Downing Street.
Speaker 3: It just read the article in the New York at the thirteen thousand worder. You know the what I mean, And he says, you know this is your territory, David, you we should have a.
Speaker 4: Look at this.
Speaker 3: It makes it look as though the case is very flawed.
Speaker 4: Didn't say wrong, we just said flawed.
Speaker 3: So I went online trunk get it and it was suppressed by a court order. Right, So I got it another way read it so hmm. Like everybody else, I'd sort of accepted the monster nurse headlines up til then I thought this looks worrisome.
Speaker 4: At that point, no more than that, it's just worrisome.
Speaker 2: He raises the question in parliament, why is it that we can't read about court cases in our own jurisdiction. He wasn't trying to get an answer, he was just trying to make a point we should be able to access this information. But very quickly people started to take notice of Davis's doubts of the let be convictions.
Speaker 3: And then in the next two weeks I had sixteen different people get in touch with me. Nobody was a conspiracy theorist for a start, and not that sort of territory. They varied from well, a whole range of expert people, the past president or All Statistical Society, the past president or All College of Pediatric and Child Healthcare, a Nobel Prize winner, a professor of legal statistics, a forensics professor, and so on, and all these people were saying the same thing. None of them was saying she's innocent.
Speaker 4: They were all saying.
Speaker 3: I can't speak for the rest of the trial. But the bit I know about is rubbish, right, So he had this trial resting on a dozen pillars of evidence of court, and each of those pillars being knocked down by the most authority person in the country on that subject. That was far more persuasive to me than if somebody write up seats she's innocent.
Speaker 2: In most of the interviews I've done into this case, I've asked the interviewee if they think Lucy let Be is guilty or innocent. But David Davis, he wastes no time in making his position clear.
Speaker 3: People often say to me, do you think she's innocent? And I say yes to that. Now, if all I had done is what I've just described, I would have said I don't know, but she's not being proven guilty. That would have been my normal response. But I do say yes, she's innocent. Now why do I say that? I say that because I think there's a demonstrable alternative cause, and the demonstrable alternative cause is a very very poor standard of care in this hospital.
Speaker 2: David Davis, mister miscarriage of justice, knows the process for these kinds of cases can be long.
Speaker 3: A typical miscarriage case for me, will swallow roughly ten years start to finish. Right, the Post Office cases took fifteen years. I was involved in that as well, not actually from the complete beginning, but nevertheless it took fifteen years.
Speaker 2: From the beginning, I didn't realize, Oh, well, you.
Speaker 3: See, my reputation is civil liberty's rule of law, limitation of the powers of the state, free speech. They've all become topical again. I am mister civil liberties in this place. That's how I'm seeing. So that also lends people to come to me when they think the States done something wrong, whether it's a legal miscarriage or an oppressive treatment of a whistleblower or whatever.
Speaker 4: I've company view.
Speaker 3: This is plainly a mistrial in the sense that a number of pieces of fundamental evidence were wrong and has such been presented wrongly.
Speaker 4: The jury had believed them when they were not true.
Speaker 3: But I didn't know whether she was guilty of any of them because my view, I mean, she was convicted or whatever it was fourteenth cases. My view was, if she's guilty of one of these cases, she's in the right place. And I was not going to invest ten years in proving a technical mistrial, right right, So we tried to get hold of the transcript.
Speaker 2: Getting hold of the court transcripts proved to be more difficult than expected, resulting in his office resorting to cross checking the BBC live feed of the court case with detailed local reporting.
Speaker 3: And I went through all those, right, and what I was looking for was a single slam dunk one proof of guilt. I went through and I didn't find one. Took three months. I didn't find one.
Speaker 2: Emotionally, what was that like for you? Were you almost hoping to find evidence of guilt?
Speaker 4: No?
Speaker 3: No, they're going to bear in mind my sort of psyche is I'm cold blooded, analytical, vicious. Okay, but you know that now. I tried to distance myself from the emotionality in these things. I've never been to see her, for example, And people say why not? And you look in the eye and see if you tell the truth. And my answer to that is I'm a professional, which is probably sixty percent psychopaths. You know, if you ask them something, they'll tell you about right, lie in a very perspuasive way. On the other hand, you're going to look at somebody's being broken by the system and they won't meet your gaze. And they be hesitant, and their memory will be and they may even half believe.
Speaker 4: Their own guilt.
Speaker 3: Sure, yeah, so I make it as dispassionate as I conceivably can.
Speaker 2: Having not found the slam dunk he was looking for, he came to a couple of conclusions.
Speaker 3: One, there's no evidence for any of the murders, or so called attemptive murders. There's no evidence that a murder occurred. Secondly, I came to the conclusion that if you had taken all fourteen fifteen cases and tried them into pendently, there wouldn't have been a single conviction, because this is built on accumulation, a cascade, a cascade which turns into a confirmatory bias. I don't know if you saw it, but I did a speech in the Chamber about two weeks ago which was deliberately focused on the prosecutorial process, the police and so on. I rather upset the head of Cheshire Police.
Speaker 2: I had seen the speech Sir David Davis in the House of Commons had alleged egregious failures in the police investigation. The fallout had made huge national headlines as the head of Cheshire Police retaliated against the MP's comments in a public statement. I'm wondering if you think that this case isn't just a personal tragedy but also a political one. Is this a political case?
Speaker 3: Well, let me change the question slightly. Okay, does it have policy implications?
Speaker 1: Sure?
Speaker 4: The answer is emphatic. Yes.
Speaker 2: As Sir David sees it. There are four areas of government policy which will be impacted based on this case. Some of them are already in place but have been ignored. Policy area one, the police.
Speaker 3: Police procedure is incredibly important. Prosecutorial procedure is incredibly important. We have rules today and they were in application at the beginning of the Letley case, but they were not quite so clearly stated. But we have rulesod We say if there are four suspected homicides or more, or if there is a health care involvement, it should go to a specialist unit in London, which is the counter Terrorism and Specialist Unit. So should be done from here, not from the Cheshire and Merseyside Crown Prosecution Service.
Speaker 4: Right. So they didn't do this.
Speaker 3: So that's the first thing, is the whole nexus of police and CPS obeying the rules, making sure the rules don't.
Speaker 2: Properly This would also include making sure that confirmation bias doesn't bleed into future investigations. Policy number two the handling of expert witnesses.
Speaker 3: A very famous retired judge here wrote to me and he said, in his experience, expert witnesses become advocates for which I ever side employs them, and as such they cease to be impartial experts. This is the Dowie Evans issue here and indeed the other experts here and Dowie Evans famous. He said, at one point I've only lost one out of thirty five cases.
Speaker 4: Experts.
Speaker 3: Don't we should winning or losing. In fact, that they start thinking about winning or losing, they should be disqualified from the case. There is a law Commission report will come out in twenty eleven which we did not adopt. It should be in law okay. First point number two.
Speaker 2: Policy number three appeal procedures.
Speaker 3: There is a couple of strong feelings about this one that the Appeal Court seemed to put the dignity of the law above the individual case, the individual miscarriage in the way back when in a very famous British judge called Lord Denning actually said it's better that we preserve the belief in the dignity of the law, and then we solve an individual miscarriage, which to me is anathema, but there's that feel about it.
Speaker 1: Now.
Speaker 3: The new evidence guideline is there to prevent defense lawyers trying one set of evidence and when that strategy fails, come back to another one. But in a case is ten months long with fifteen babies, you know, with vast numbers of doctors and nurses, and god knows what else I can understand why it's there, but it's a problem, and it's one of the reasons the CCRC, which has to guess it's of second gaessism since few over So that's three.
Speaker 2: Policy number four the behavior of the National Health Service.
Speaker 3: The health service is incapable of healing itself when it goes off.
Speaker 4: The right off.
Speaker 3: Now, neonatal and maternal deaths is sufficient of a course of concern in the UK that we have a woman called Valerie Amos nominated by the government to go around and do a.
Speaker 4: Review of it.
Speaker 3: Right, she's been visiting various places with local scandal. One of the things she's already found she didn't be doing for six months, is that hospitals misclassified deaths in order to avoid embarrassment.
Speaker 4: Really yeah, yeah.
Speaker 3: The baby dies maybe within thirty six hours after her birth, they will often misclassify that as a stillbirth. Stillbirth does not require an inquest. Really, but if they die in the hospital. So for example, baby born, let's say it got pseudomonas, could die after twenty four.
Speaker 2: Hours and they call it a stillburth.
Speaker 4: They called it stillbirth.
Speaker 3: No, and that's a recent scandal, right, So my concern is that our National Health Service behaves like big bureaucracies everywhere. They avoid blame. They may be will intentioned organizations, but they avoid blame.
Speaker 2: Sir David has thoughts on how this could be done. What if hospitals behave more like airlines after a crisis, identifying what went wrong, changing protocols and retraining accordingly, what if they change the culture to one that is less interested in scapegoating and blame into one that is focused on improvement.
Speaker 3: When a pilot makes a mistake, there's a no fault reporting procedure. Let's imagine I reach down and instead of putting the flaps down, I put the wheels down. Or instead of bringing the flaps up, I bring the wheels up. And whatever phase of flight and that causes a crash or causes a risk. I report that very simple happen. After that, they might change the training, They might change where the knobs stand. So for example, in an aircraft today, if you go to put the undercarriage up or down, there's.
Speaker 4: A wheel, so it's obvious what it is.
Speaker 3: If you put the flap up and down, it's a little thing shaped like a flap. So the risk of you know, even by feel and location, they or they don't put them next to each other typically, and so on. So there should be a system which picks out hospitals or even individual departments they have high death rates, and goes and unswervingly, unflinchingly analyzes why it is right. The doctor should not be fearing a manslaugh to charge. They should be looking to improve their performance. I'm a big believer in the hell, so I'm a working class board. My entire life has depended on it. It doesn't now because I can't afford to wait. I have to go and pay for myself to get fixed. But generally speaking, I'm a big believer in it. But it's got to be fixed.
Speaker 2: I wanted to know more about the perception of politics. In the lucyle Be case.
Speaker 3: Most MPs give a really wide steer around these things. This is dangerous territory. There's not much upside people. Once we win, which we will all beit take years, it might take years.
Speaker 4: Once we win, people will forget.
Speaker 3: I think will win this.
Speaker 4: I've got high confidence in winning.
Speaker 3: The issue is when she is a woman of childbearing age.
Speaker 4: We know from the infamous.
Speaker 3: Post it notes one of the things you said was I'll never get married, I'll never have children. So it matters to her and for me. The measure of success or failure on this is not winning. It's winning early enough for her to recover some of her life and forgive me of the slightly sexist comment.
Speaker 2: No, actually, i'm surprised that you thought of that, because the vast majority of people who work on wrongful conviction cases, even those who are dedicated like it doesn't occur to them that that's a special issue for women who.
Speaker 4: Are expect.
Speaker 3: One of the those things I wrote to Vera Beer about.
Speaker 2: That, that's Vera Baird, current interim chair of the CCRC.
Speaker 3: I thought, I don't want to answer, I just want you to take on board this woman's life is evaporating while your organization takes his time.
Speaker 4: So that's the test of success.
Speaker 2: In the next episode, I'll be heading north to Chester to find out more about whistleblowers in the NHS and at the Countess of Chester specifically because, as it turns out, Lucy Letbee hasn't been alone in raising the alarm about conditions at the Countess of Chester Hospital.
Speaker 1: Doubt.
Speaker 2: The Case of Lucy Letbe is brought to you by Vespucci, iHeart Podcasts and Knox Robinson Productions. I've been your host Amanda Knox. This episode was written by Isis Thompson. The producer was Isis Thompson. The assistant producer was Amy Gill. Senior producer is Natalia Rodriguez. The sound designer is Chandler Mays. The theme music was written by Tom Biddle, story editing by Natalia Rodriguez. Legal advice for the series was provided by Jack Browning. The producers at iHeart Podcasts are Chandler Mays and Katrina Norville. The executive producers were Joe Meek, Amanda Knox, Christopher Robinson, Daniel Turkin, and Johnny Galvin.